Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again.
Speaker 4: Brgara Running Back hosted by Dodgers insider David Vase.
Speaker 3: Three in the mix.
Speaker 4: Dodger Talk is brought to you by La County Public Works Champions Recycle Beverage Containers make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital LA from Colds to Cancer. We got this to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven day and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers are handed their first loss of the season, four to two by the Cleveland Guardians. Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vassay with you until the top of the hour. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine to eight seven two five seventy. And the Dodgers were not the only undefeated team coming into the game tonight that lost.
Speaker 3: There are no more.
Speaker 2: Unbeaten teams in Major League Baseball. The Yankees lost, the Blue Jays lost, the Brewers lost, and the Marlins, of all teams, also was undefeated coming into the game tonight and they lost. So there are no unbeaten teams in Major League Baseball. There is just one winless team in baseball, and that is the Sacramento A's eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodger offense just had no answer for a pitcher they haven't seen before, and that was left hander Parker Messik, who kept them off balanced all night long. He pitched six scoreless sinnings. And I believe that there's something to be said about the fact the Dodger offense hasn't done much of anything in the last two games, and not coincidentally, against left handed starters Eduardo Rodriguez, who's a pretty good pitcher and when he's on his game, he's good. And then tonight a left handed twenty five year old Parker Messik who the Dodgers haven't seen before, and Will Smith got the scheduled day off. The Dodgers shuffled their lineup tonight again with Smith getting the day off. It was Teoscar Hernandez hitting cleanup in front of Freddy Freeman, who was hitting fifth, and it just seems like that's the way it's going to be. Even on days where Will Smith does get a day off, Freeman is going to remain hitting fifth against lefties. Now that may change, it feels like that's a little late in the lineup to have Freddy Freeman be hitting. I love to have Freddy back in his familiar cleanup spot, even against lefties. But I understand it. It's not just about the starting pitcher. It's about forcing the manager to make decisions in the middle of the game by having as many left right left combinations you have. So I understand it. But te Oscar Hernandez, after a red hot spring training, just hasn't had it so far in the first four games. And look, it's such a small sample size twelve at bats fourteen at bats. During the course of a season, you're going to see a guy go one for fourteen or two for twelve like Otani to begin the year. Otani has no extra base hits in the first four games of the season. He's just won for four tonight, so all those factors and the Dodgers are three to one to begin the year eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. We had a chance to catch up with Will Smith, by the way on the pregame show, and we asked him about the ABS system. We'll let you hear what he had to say in a few minutes here, but just want to get to Roki Sasaki because everybody was so skeptical about what they were going to see tonight or how short the outing was going to be, and quite honestly, it was better than we all expected considering everything we've seen from the beginning of spring training, even bullpen sessions. And I know he only threw nine first pitch strikes tonight, and I know he only threw forty five strikes tonight, but it was still better than anything we've seen since the beginning of spring training. So that's the reason to be encouraged. Roki went four plus innings tonight, allowed just one earn run, and Dave Roberts in his postgame press conference referenced Sasaki striking out Jose Ramirez in the third inning.
Speaker 3: That was Ramirez.
Speaker 2: Chasing a ball way out of the strike zone, up and away. He helps Sazaki in that situation, and I know we talked about this a lot or from time to time when it's applicable when it's the opposing pitcher against the Dodgers. Well, tonight, I felt like Sasaki was effectively wild. You look at his spray chart, he was still all over the place, and the guardians at times, like Jose Ramirez in the third inning, really helped him out. So I mean, good on Roki for making it look like strikes, I guess, or tempting them to swing at it. But that's the reality of tonight. And also what was a little surprising is that he did lean on his cut fastball that he's been trying to develop since the offseason. He used that twenty eight percent of the time, So I guess that's good as well because he's trusting that pitch and he used it the second most behind his.
Speaker 3: Fastball, his four seam fastballs.
Speaker 2: So those were a couple of the highlights that stood out to me about his outing tonight. Let's hear from the guy that caught him, Dalton Rushing on Sports at l A.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought that was a quality start for rookie. It's a good turnaround coming after or coming off the spring. U The emphasis was getting his zone early and fill up his own as much as possible to start, and then from there you just kind of get some swing and miss later and counts.
Speaker 1: Think in the evolution of that kind of.
Speaker 5: It's uh, you know, it's a newer pitch to him, it's a it's a pitch. We're still kind of trying to understand how.
Speaker 3: We want to use it.
Speaker 5: I think he did a good job of tonight of using it in the right spots. Obviously we want one back on the right field line, but I thought he was He looked really good overall.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Dalton Rushing who started tonight in place of Will Smith. It was the first start of the season for Dalton Rushing. Will Smith will be back in there tomorrow night, and the Dodger off, you know, Will Smith. I thought the third inning was really sloppy for the Dodgers. By the way, now that I'm you know, talking about Dalton Rushing starting, he was supposed to sacrifice Miguel Rojas to third base.
Speaker 3: Instead he pops up a bun.
Speaker 2: He gets lucky because Parker Messick misplays it. So you got runners at first and second with nobody out when you were supposed to have Rojas at third base with one out, so I guess, okay, you'll take that. But then Miguel Rojas got picked off a second base for the first out, and that kind of just derailed whatever they may have had going against a young Parker Messick at Dodger Stadium making his first start here against a lethal lineup. They bailed him out there. It was a sloppy third inning from the Sasaki top half of the third to the bottom half of the third with the Dodger offense. Tonight's game brought to you by Modelo Modelo. The mark of a Fighter. Six six seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Tony who was at the game tonight. Hi, Tony, you're on Dodger Talk Dave.
Speaker 6: How you doing, boss, how's it going?
Speaker 7: I'm right, I'm the one that I caught you up up upstairs.
Speaker 6: I was gonna pour a beer in your head, remember, Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Can forget you almost uh you almost poured the beer out on the ground.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I was. I was having a good time. But anyways, Yeah, the the the Guardians, they played a good game. They were good defensively, they were solid. You gotta give them that. But yeah, I hear you about the sloppy play, the sloppy base running. You know, hey, it's it's it's fundamental baseball. And now we're gonna be there. We'll be alright, We're all right.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 2: Speaking of good defense, how about Miguel rojas Is catch. I mean, I thought that was the best player of the night tonight where he robbed what could have been a blue bass hit in that in that fifth inning where he was able to rob Jose Ramirez of a seeing eye single to drive in a run.
Speaker 3: To me, that was the best defensive play of the game.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, My daughter and I we were talking about that. I told her he was done and literally behind second base almost and he ran all the way to the fell line to that ball.
Speaker 2: Not bad for a thirty seven year old Tony. Thanks for the phone call and great seeing you, and thank you for not pouring that beer on me earlier today. Outside the press box, let's go out to Noe la Puente. Did I pronounce your name correctly?
Speaker 8: No? A?
Speaker 3: Did I say it right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: He said it right, Dave. It's all good. You could say no as well, depends on you. How Yeah, that works too, Dave, real quick. I remember a couple of season ago you had mentioned how pitchers are are taught more or less to let gold balls to let the defense make plays.
Speaker 7: We kind of saw that from both the Guardians and the Dodgers, where.
Speaker 8: The pitchers were trying to make plays and not letting their defense make the place for themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What was Robleski gonna do with that ball? By by the catcher Hedges? I mean, even if he fields it cleanly like he did, he's not he's not making a play on it. You just gotta let Munsey make that play coming in on it.
Speaker 8: Did you did you see them practicing that during spring training where they they're tied not to touch the ball.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's just an instinct by a pitcher. You could practice it all you want, but you know, instincts and competitiveness take over. And you know, it was his first outing of the season and adrenaline's pumping, so I'm sure that took over.
Speaker 3: Yes, they do practice it, by the.
Speaker 8: Way, got it, And then I was you know, I was happy with Rokie the fact that he wasn't good, But the most important thing was he wasn't.
Speaker 2: Bad, right, Yeah, I mean it lasted longer than what a lot of the Salty Riders thought it would.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh. Yeah, hey, so you know, can't win them all day. Hopefully we'll batch back these next couple of days.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you for the phone call, Noe, thank you. I'll get it right the first time. Next time.
Speaker 3: Thank you for calling in.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. There was a lot of talk before the game today about the ABS Challenge system and the results, and I had a chance to catch up with Will Smith before the game tonight, and he's done a pretty good job in limited challenges, if you will, so far in the first three games of the season. Here's what Will Smith had to say about the first three games of the year and how the ABS Challenge has gone for him and the Dodgers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's it's it's gone. Well, you know, I don't I don't know. I think it's good for the game, and I think, honestly, the best part about it is I think the umpires are more locked in, uh, just from the get go, you know, just to spring training. I think you know, there were a lot less overturned calls because they were they were locked in, and that's that's the most important thing, is you know, just getting the call right, and you know they're they're trying to do their best too. They get that instant feedback, which is great, you know for the rest of the game. So I think it's I think it's a good thing. I think we've handled it pretty well. You've got a couple of calls go our way using the right situations, so it's just been good. It's still kind of a learning process and learning different situations and all that stuff, but overall, again, pretty good at so far.
Speaker 2: Is there a certain etiquette because former umpires have said umpires don't want to be embarrassed in front of forty fifty thousand fans, So what about that dynamic of it?
Speaker 9: Uh? Yeah, I mean that's that's that's human nature, you know, not wanting to be embarrassed in front of a bunch of people. It's also you know, embarrassing when you strike out and it's a bad call, but you still strikeout and you got to walk off the field, you know, with a man on third or whatever. So just it's just about getting the call right, you know, I know, catching wise, I'm talking to those guys all the time, and of them want to just get the call right. They truly care. Some some guys maybe not as much and just don't want to be embarrassed or whatever. But uh, you know, I think overall it's good for the game, and I think I think it challenges the umpires a little more to be on their a game every single night, just like we're required to be. And I think overall most of them are really good at their job, and that's that's kind of what we're seeing as well too.
Speaker 3: Hey, I know you're always in the moment.
Speaker 2: You got the Guardians starting tonight, but ever since the schedule came out, it's hard to ignore that your first road trip is taking you to Toronto, the scene of where you guys dramatically came back to win the World Series. Any concern over customs the Mounties when you go back across the border.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm not concerned.
Speaker 9: I was asked the other day if I was actually banned, and that was that one kind of threw me for a loop thinking it was real.
Speaker 2: But uh, yeah, I did a whole commercial promoting your bubblehead going through the security line.
Speaker 9: I know that was that was that turned out better than I thought. That was pretty good. That was a good a good script. I didn't I didn't have any part of that other than just kind of reading the lines. But that was good. But no, it'd be fun. I know they're gonna want a little payback on us, so it should be.
Speaker 3: It should be a good series.
Speaker 9: You know they're they're a really good team again this year, so it should be you know, fun, fun over there.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 2: So no concerns over Canadian TSA stopping you a little longer. You and ROAs you guys have some targets on your back when you go through TSA.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, we'll see, maybe it'll be longer, but no, it should be fine.
Speaker 3: All right. That was part of our conversation with Will Smith.
Speaker 2: To hear the full conversation, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app and UH ask our own Rick Monday what it's like to be a Canadian team in the postseason with a home run. He had some run ins with the Canadians after that, no doubt about it. But yeah, it's going to be electric at Rogers Center for a game in early April, a World Series rematch Dodgers Blue Jays. This early in the season. The schedule makers certainly knew what they were doing. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. When we continue on Dodger Talk, we'll check in with Jose Mota. We'll get you him to update on Blake Snell, and we'll let you know how Walker Buehler fared in his Padres debut.
Speaker 3: A lot to get to between now.
Speaker 2: On the top of the hour, Dodgers fall for the first time in twenty six, four to two on the back to back World champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 4: On air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy, LA sports dot com, and available my podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassin.
Speaker 2: The Guardians to LA and hand the Dodgers their first floss of the season. The Dodgers will not be undefeated despite many of what you thought would happen. Yeah, sorry, the Dodgers were not going one sixty two to zero. They lose their first game tonight four to two to the Guardians, and they have two more games to go to win this series. That's what they're all about, winning series. And they got a pretty good guy on the mount tomorrow to help them do that show. Hao Tani will be making his season debut as a starting pitcher. Speaking of starting pitchers for the Dodgers, I have an update on Blake Snell. He told me earlier today that he's chopping at the bit to get back out there, but he's not going to skip any steps. The Dodgers are not going to allow that to happen. He's not on the sixty day IL, He's on the fifteen day IL, and Dave Roberts already said you know at the beginning of the season. Snell is not expected back until the end of May, and he is going to throw to hitters for the first time. After the Dodgers were turned back from this first road trip. A former Dodgers starting pitcher, Walker Buehler, who was signed by the Red Sox last year and then released and caught on with the Phillies at the end of the year, made the Padres on a minor league contract, and tonight was his Padres' debut. He went four innings tonight took the loss. He gave up all three runs to the Giants, had three strikeouts and two walks. San Diego lost to the Giants tonight, three to two. The big hit against Walker Bueller was a Harrison Bader solo home run on a hanging curveball.
Speaker 10: One two pitch date of the air, deep to left field where Loreano is back and the first home run of the season for the Giants belongs to Harrison Vader. It gives them their first lead of twenty twenty six solo shot to begin the third inning.
Speaker 3: It's one to nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the College coach led Giants finally won their first game, unfortunately at the hands of Walker Bueller and the Padres, and that was ninety seven to three. The fan Daniel Steelers presents the home run forecast No Dodger home runs tonight for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniel Stewler's gift card visit and five to seventy LA Sports dot Com. Use the keyword home run for your chance to win. Daniel s Jewelers Own the Dream.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota, Rochi Sasaki, how would you rate this start tonight?
Speaker 7: He did well considering the last time un I talked. There's some issues and trust about contact and fastball usage, and as he explained earlier today in the show, the cuff fastball played in not a whole lot of strike once. But I think it's a step in the right direction. Though. The main thing is when you don't get that strike one get back into counts. And I think it was quite noticeable the fact that they've been wanted to simplify things for him, find a way to just get back into the zone. Forget about velocity, no over usage, the split, don't chase strikeouts. And I think today he needs to take this one and build off of because there's something there's some be done. But certainly I think today he needed really bad.
Speaker 2: I heard Rick Monday describe the first two innings as Sasaki attacking the strike zone, something we hadn't seen since since spring training started. But then Rick mentioned that he thought that Sasaki and even Charlie Steiner mentioned this that he was searching for the strike zone in the third inning.
Speaker 3: Did you see it that way too?
Speaker 7: I think mechanically yes, I agree with with Charlie and with Rick. Mechanically it might have gotten a little bit too fast for him sometimes maybe thinking about getting outs, and that's what happens with young pitchers and as much success as he hadn't depand he's still a young guy developed in the big league today. So and when things start rolling and the other club season for a second time, I think there's a little rush to get out instead of just slowing the pace knowing that your stuff is working. And he did against the team that was not very good hitting fastballs up in Seattle, and I think that's part of the report today that they had obviously that to use the fastball a little bit more. We know there's a lot of work to be done with a secondary pace like a slider. But and then the tumbling splitter for today, this and different things. And you know, even the strike cut on Ramirez that you're talking about, if you think about strikeout pictures and you think about what allows him to get a bunch of punch outs, they're not necessarily gonna be balls in the zone. So the fact that he had rememves chasing, it's an indication to me of remembers respecting what he saw from the cut fastball and for the fastball to wanting to get something softer in the zone, and that bo just going out there and telling on him, But he needs to get back to, you know, staying through the whole game mechanically, to lost this load a little bit more and continue building one any end to the other.
Speaker 2: It's hard to celebrate starting pitcher that only goes four plus sinnings. I know it's early in the season, is first start of the year, but I guess it's it's kind of strange to for the Dodgers side of things to kind of be pleasantly surprised from what they saw tonight.
Speaker 3: How do you how do you how do you reconcile all that?
Speaker 7: I think you reconciled no.
Speaker 8: One.
Speaker 7: Also, another big point that Steven both made before the game down the Duggat was hey, we saw this guy in the spring training recently back on March third, and they scored four runs of him with a whole run only a couple of innings. So whatever he did and adjusting to the hitters was ideal. Dave, I think there's times in which he can roll a breaking ball for strike and have hitters thinking even more, Okay, you got to respect ninety five ninety eight, right, and then you got to respect the fourth ball splitter. But I think having the cutter at the starting point for a slider to get the ball over for a strike. It's going to be important, but I think you know, overall, he needs to know that to Tasch, the test in the Big League is not about celebrating four things. We do it because obviously we know what we went through last year, what he went through the spring training, But there's way more in that tank, and I think the talent he continue to be for him to go out there and keep his team in the game no matter who loo's facing, and to trust the stuff without having to earn or look for the shot cut to have that weapon. Round ball is a good weapon for him. We threw a couple of sinkers today that I think we're effective in at least opening his own up for him in different ways.
Speaker 2: Jose Mote is joining us on Dodger Talk after the Guardians defeat the Dodgers tonight by a final score of four to two. What do you make of the Dodger offense tonight against Parker Messik? Was it Messick or was it the Dodger hitters? Maybe taking that Sunday fun day into Monday.
Speaker 7: Dad, I'm gonna make it the Dodgers offer those first few games is one that there's way more to be desired. They only hit two twenty two against Arizona. They hit the five home runs, which is great, but consider one thing. The Dodgers did not get a walk today. So let's put it this way. The Guardians did not issue a walk. We know that when the Dodgers don't walk, there's issues. And today the plan for Carl Willis was attack and keep attacking and pitching backwards. It look messic did pitching backwards a lot of brick and ball counts that he utilized the fastball. Same thing with Sobrowski. That kid has a big arm and come in a big situation to throw a lot of fastballs too. So I think overall, even though the power has been for the Dodgers, it's great, but I know that there's way more continuity in the offensive side of things that you need to get better at, especially when it comes out to the fundamental game and just prolonging them. It's been like spurts here and there, you fall behind, a couple of guys, get on big, they sit and sweep Arizona. But now a different muscle, you don't walk people, and I he's just so way too many.
Speaker 3: Fast up.
Speaker 7: That's tonight where you control a little bit more at the temple and knowing that, Dave, you're not gonna win every single game. You're gonna run into a guy that you haven't seen before and look what happens. And that's We've seen that happen many times against many teams. But I know there's way more in the tank in terms of continuity and have a better at schule of Dodgers on the defensive side.
Speaker 2: Love it, Jose, great way to cap, have a synopsis of what's been going on with this Dodger offense and hopefully tomorrow is the day it breaks out. Show Hey, Otani can help himself. He's starting tomorrow and that's always exciting, the first start of the season for Otani.
Speaker 3: Can't wait to see you out here tomorrow night. It should be.
Speaker 1: Electric, David.
Speaker 7: I'm looking forward seeing you and the big showing them ound the big trumpshot.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks a lot, there he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. Before we say goodnight, got to give a shout out to one of Dave Roberts' special guests out here at Dodgers Stadium tonight and that it was Alabama quarterback Ty Simpson.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Ty Simpson was out here as a guest of Dave Roberts, and Dave went back to Alabama during the offseason. Somehow, some way, he's become friends with the head football coach at Alabama and he actually spoke to the team, so I guess that's the connection. And I had a chance to talk to Ty Simpson when he was on the field and he told me he's a huge baseball fan. In fact, so much of a baseball fan and a baseball player that he played for the same travel ball coach in Nashville that Mookie Betts played for. He wanted to be a shortstoper outfielder, he said that was his position growing up in high school. So he was a baseball player as well as a quarterback. And it went as far as him wanting to play baseball college baseball at the University of Alabama until Nick Saban said, no chance, you are not playing baseball. You're going to be the Alabama quarterback. No baseball. So that's when the baseball career ended. But he grew up loving college baseball, being in Nashville Braves Country. He was a Braves fan growing up. Danceby Swanson one of his favorite players, And he told me he went to the Danceby Swanson baseball clinic when Swanson was at Vanderbilt and he saw Walker Bueller pitch at Vanderbilt. So how about that Ty Simpson in the house tonight at Dodger Stadium and a big baseball guy, So there you go. Never would have known that great kid, by the way, very humble, and I'm hoping that the Rams somehow someway keep him in LA. We love to have Ty Simpson backing up Matthew Stafford and become the heir apparent only because I met him and I like him and he likes baseball, So there we go. No, he could be a steal of the NFL draft, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow show hey O Taani on the mound for the Dodgers. Tanner Biby will start the game for Cleveland. We think he's listed still, but something to keep in mind.
Speaker 3: Like we mentioned.
Speaker 2: Earlier, he did leave his first start of the year with shoulder discomfort, so something to keep in mind. And not only is it Otani Knight it's also Yoshi Bobblehead Night. It's expected to be a sellout crowd if it's not already. Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock. First pitch at seven ten and memo to anybody that has my phone number, No, I cannot get you a bobblehead. I've had so many randos, well even not even rando's like close family friends like my father in law asking me for an extra bobblehead. All right, I'll get it for him. But that's it. That's where I draw the line. Anyway, get here early for the Yoshi Bobblehead. Thanks to Colinie back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald here at the ballpark, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Once again.
Speaker 2: The final score of the Guardians hand the Dodgers their first loss of the year, four to two. Fox Sports Radios. Next, in fact, it's the Ben Maller time. Yeah Ben Maller, remember that. Yeah, he's on next. Have a great rest of your night.
Speaker 3: See you, look at you.
Speaker 6: It's truth.
Speaker 1: Time.
Speaker 2: Send it away.