Speaker 1: Do you want to be in a Mexican idiot?
Speaker 2: All right, here we go on this very interesting Thursday morning. We got lots of go on, a lot of moving parts today. First and foremost, of course, what's happening in Minnesota as we speak right now with a protest going on. Of course, the ice agent shooting a thirty seven year old individual during a stop, and we still don't know all the working pieces and what actually happened and what really transpired. Of course we want know that for some time. But the rush to judgment on this whole thing by both the left and the right has been incredible. Getting too this more after nine thirty five here on the Scotsland Show on seven hundred WLW, I wanted to circle back though, kind of handle some old business here, something that happened over the holidays. And typically that's the way things are set up. When you want to do something that's controversial or will upset the appal kart so to speak, you tend to do it like on a Friday, a weekend. You do it when many people aren't paying attention. I would say doing it a Friday when it's the holidays is not going to as much attention as it should. I'm talking, of course, about what happened to the CBD infused beverage ban that Mike de Wine single Bagley took his line out of Veto powers and killed an entire industry. And this, of course, are beverages that are sold or sold anywhein Ohio that contained THC small amounts of it too, derived of course from CBD, and a lot of people said, hey, this is pretty good. We're taking this product, and technically it was, yes, a loophole, but a whole industry started in what used to be the craft brew industry, and a lot of puerveyors were switching over and saying, hey, there's a market for this product here. People clearly like it. They want more of it, they demanded. And yet the governor, in some sort of I don't know what, self righteousness or knowing better and being in the Naty State killed this whole thing. Joining the show this morning on seven hundred WLW is the CEO of Ryan Geisberg right here in Cincinnati, Adam Bankovic, Adam, good morning, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've talked about a lot this with Steve Hoffman. Of course, you know Steve as well, and talk to other industry leaders like yourself, Adam, and as far as you're concern from Ryan Guis's perspective here, because you guys are first and foremost the biggest pure veyors of micro brief you want to call the micro brew at this point, it's probably not the missing seeming how you've grown over the last few years that that's entirely accurate. But how much of this is impacting your business or will this impact your business?
Speaker 3: Sure, absolutely happy to talk about that. I would very much still classify as the craft brew or the Brew's Association definition put this squarely in there. In the craft beer industry, while it's grown rapidly over the past few years, to your point, has started to slow and cool off dramatically. Specifically within the state of Ohio. For the past year, craft beer as a category has been down around eight to nine percent. And it's not the first year we've seen the climb in the craft beer industry. So, as you pointed out, this is an emerging segment that we've seen grow rapidly across the country and becoming a real part of the marketplace here in Ohio. More recently so, Ryan Geist, among many other crap breweries in the state of Ohio have looked to it as we know that we've got lots of consumers in the marketplace that are asking for these beverages and wanting these beverages, and very clearly, not only do those consumers want those, but crap breweries are very well set up and established to be able to produce them safely, responsibly, and effectively, which is something that we're huge advocates for that there is smart, responsible regulation of this industry, of this marketplace, of these beverages to make sure that we're clearly communicating to customers what they are, they are only being served to adults twenty one and up, and that there's clear regulation in place promoting all of that, which is what the Ohio General Assembly and Steve Huffman worked so tirelessly on, in my opinion, a very great job with SB fifty six creating clear, responsible regulation, and that's what changed when Governor DeWine chose to line at in veto specifically the intoxicating beverage section of SB fify.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know there are some other craft brewers that are leaning into this more heavily than others. Have as well, and you know it makes me sad because you know, you talk to people and are like, wow, I really like this stuff. You mentioned how the craft beer segment itself and craft beer is declining, and we're seeing a rapid as you know, gen zers coming along and they're just not drinking at the rates. Older millennials and certainly Gen xers like myself and baby boomers who are older, are consuming alcohol to the point where we've had a I was just talking about this yesterday, Gallop, a ninety year low. As far as alcohol consumption goes, it's incredible. And yet I think that's also true because there are so many options in order to well self medicate if you or make yourself feel better. I know a lot of people that enjoy the THHC slash CBD and fused beverages and go. You know what I don't feel is maybe as bloated, I don't feel as I feel different the next day. I feel actually feel better than I do after drinking alcohol, and people are moving towards that. Why not satisfy that sector because that's just true. Do you have someone to tell us so heavily invested in in graft.
Speaker 3: Room, Yeah, the thing I'd like to point out there that you mentioned is the beverage category as a whole has faced or has realized a lot of diversity, and that can be nontoxicating beverages to you name it. And really it's the prevalence of choice that the younger generation, to your point, has grown up with, and now that they're of legal drinking age, they're continuing to experience thingsplore that. But I'd also point out that everything that we're seeing and learning, it's not only the younger generation that are interested in the intoxicating HEMP beverages. It's really expanning all demographics as everyone's just enjoying the benefits of these low test beverages. It'd be really clear when I'm talking about the benefits, we are not advertising or marketing these as healthy alternatives to alcohol. We're speaking about anecdotes we receive from doing consumer studies and panels and talking to those that are participating this beverage category. And I think that's a really important point that this entire industry is aware and acknowledging of, and SB fifty six is also doing a good job making sure that there's no unproven health claims on packaging as an example, because it's important. Just like alcohol is regulated, and I'm not trying to draw a direct parallel or make these categories analogous, but there's queer governing rules for alcohol and what you can and can't do and say about benefits or lack there or lack there of of known benefits and alcohol, and that makes sense, and it is logical, and a lot of regulation and guidelines can and should exist in the intoxicating beverage category as well to make sure that we're communicating responsibly and effectively to consumers. So when I'm talking about those who are choosing to drink less alcohol or abstain from alcohol entirely, and maybe they are finding great use in the intoxicating that beverage category, we're talking about anecdotes and real consumer feedback on learning what they're looking for and why they're looking for it, and that's really really different. I want to make it really clear that I have not seen any actors in the state of Ohio. Certainly our intent to falsely advertiser represents these products, but at the same time, we do know why the consumers are turning to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, and it makes a lot of sense, and you know, I'm a big believer, propared owner of giving the people what they want. And not only that, you know, it's seemingly grossly unfair to yourself and other peer veyors, Adam, that you invested a lot in that technology and infrastructure to ramp this up, only to have that karpo pulled off from und you has the Dwine administration Mike Dwine himself addressed this to your satisfaction and yeah, I've talked to lawmakers like Steve Hoffman and others, and there's seemingly no answer for the line I'm as to why he struck this down. Are you getting satisfactory responses from him? Is what the reasoning was?
Speaker 3: You know, we're still looking for it. And to be clear, we do respect the governor's role and what we're advocating for here is clarity and consistency going forward. And we spent a lot of time working with the High General Assembly and feel like they took all you know, proponents and opponents of this issue in the consideration in crafting SP fifty six. So yes, it was very disruptive and shocking when the line Adam Vita specific just toe in toxicating hemp beverages was introduced and signed all at once, and so we're still to your point when we open the segments that was right around the holidays, and we're all as an industry collectively, and I'm talking about manufacturers to distributors to retailers, all of us, which are the three tiers of the system here to get this out to market. We're still kind of gathering and understanding exactly what happened and what can be done about it so that all the investments that have been made can be sustained going forward, and honestly, more importantly, in my opinion, this is also about supporting Ohio business and making Ohio business competitive with other state manufacturers or even national companies who are finding great success with these beverages and states that have created very smart, very responsible regulation. And I think the General Assembly was doing a great job looking at what other states have done, who were ahead of the curve in this category than we were, and trying to get to Ohio up the speed because there's other commentary happening where federally. In November of twenty twenty six, not only will intoxicating hemp no longer be allowed which was passed as part of the reopening of the federal governm in the Appropriations bill related to Partment of Agriculture, but also CBD beverages and CBD products are also going to be limited in November of twenty twenty six. And that's an even larger category than the intoxicating hemp, CBD being a cannabinoid from the same plant that is now intoxicating and lots of people turn to for health benefits. So really, what Ohio, in my opinion, should be doing is using the smart responsible regulation from Sub sixty six to allow Ohio business to continue to prosper. And then in SB fifty six there was also a consideration acknowledging that when the federal government provides more clarity prior to November twenty twenty six, Ohio will look at that and then adapt as necessary. Whereas right now we're in a situation that the industry will have to shut down in March if nothing changes, and that will leave Ohio businesses behind other states who continue to regulate and support this marketplace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we want no one suggesting that companies like yourself say there's no regulation. Of course, there should be regulation. Health health departments oversee you. There's you know, all sorts of regulation has involved in that industry as well. Should be if you're infusing something with cannabinoids. Okay, I get that, But to simply strike it and say we're not doing this anymore is rather insane because you know, one may say, well, are you getting you know it is the wine getting lobby money from big alcohol? Well probably, I don't know, because it's you know, if people aren't consuming the product like they once did, and there's all their alternatives out there. You mentioned non alcoholics Adam Bankovich from ryan Geist that you know, that's another big sector right there. Mocktails are huge right now. Nan alcohol beers are fantastics. I've tried many of them, and it's certainly not like the when Oduel's rolled out back in the day, it was it didn't taste very good. Now they taste really, really good, and so there's a lot of diversity in those products that you offer as well. But simply banning entire sector here doesn't seem to be a good idea because people are going to people demand it, but they're going to find a different alternative to this, which might be even more dangerous. Which is is the scary part. Is there a hope that legislatively speaking, this is not dead.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, We've been working almost every day, honestly, including over the holiday break. We again being kind of this collective industry, and not just craft brewers in Ohio specifically, but again the distributors and retailers also. So there's already a referendum that's been submitted, and so that effort is ongoing. It's been turned in in my understanding, already to Franklin Rose, the Secretary of State and Devostate Attorney General, and so that timeline is that they need to review the referendum agic was submitted by January thirteenth, to approve the signatures and verify it. And if and when that happens on the thirteenth, then the deadline becomes a date in March to be named where two hundred and forty eight thousand, ninety two signatures would be needed across the eight counties of Ohio, and there's a certain number needed within forty four of the eighty eight counties. And if that referendum were to pass and be approved, then this issue would actually end up on the November ballot and voters would decide what they want to happen. Separately from that, we're also having conversations with the General Assembly as we did as they were crafting SD fifty six. Lots of members on all sides, both political parties, House and Senate have been listening, which is really really encouraging, and I've been very appreciative of all those efforts. So we're still talking to them to see if there's any interest within the General Assembly on a legislative override, but that would require a two thirds fote approval in both the House and the Senates, and those conversations aroundgoing, I'm not sure if there's enough interest there or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as upset as I am, and even you more so about this whole thing, I think there's hope. And since you've got a lame duck governor, you've got to do administration coming in, and I think they're going to set the record straight because clearly there's a mindset in Ohio that, hey, we've been using these products responsibly. People clearly enjoy them, the market, the sectors growing. Why would you try to take that away, especially if you're someone who allegedly is pro small business in business growth, why would you limit that it doesn't make much sense. Adam Bakovich is the CEO of Guys, joining the show this morning with Sloani here on seven hundred WLW. Kind of revisiting. We'll get in the Minnesota stuff on this a little bit different topic entirely obviously, but this is something that happened over the holidays, and generally when stuff happens over the holidays or a weekend, it's something that you know, the establishment really doesn't want you to know about. They kind of downplay it. It's a huge issue because so many people enjoyed it and going, wait, what they're taking this stuff away?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 2: It's really good? And I'm a big proponent and you know, if you're an adult, you should be able to choose what it is that you put in your body, for sure, and as long as there's regulation involved there and some oversight to make sure you're not getting sick. I say, have added, have ad all you want, because tastes indeed change. Hopefully in the next year we have some solution to this whole thing, Adam, because you know, to think of how much money you yourself invested in. Other individuals I talked to involved in the craft brew industry in Cincinnati. You know, you don't want to see those investments simply just evaporate as they have so far in the interim. How you holding up? You're painting a picture saying, Wow, you're the craft brew thinks kind of fading. We're kind of leaning into this, And you know, maybe not for you guys, because the scale in which you guys operated much bigger than a lot of locals. But the craft brew industry and know locally internationally, tends to be a close knit group of people who are, yeah, competitors, but at the same time you kind of pull for each other. How are some of these smaller operations doing, do you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've suked with lots of them that think it impacts all of them differently. You're one hundred percent right. It's a very cordial community within craft beer where we have the ohiocreft Brewers Association meeting in a couple of days of conferences coming up here not too long from now, and this was a large topic last year. The Ohio Preppers Association did a great job bringing in national experts to talk with the ohiocraft brewers about it. And I know there's some that are reeling from this more than others, I think the answer for all of us is that we need to find whatever can possibly work to just make sure that we're staying competitive within the marketplace. And it's really hard to do when we spent a lot of time here today talking about the diversity beverage. I agree with you, non alcoholic beers have come a long way, but the rallies, they're very expensive to make. So if we're looking at the areas where craft brews can invest and make some things safely and effectively and responsibly and support our businesses that we've established, of craft beers declining. Since we are not able to control the general trends of the craft beer marketplace, there's very few things that we concerned to and look to do. And this is one of those emerging segments like the early days of the craft beer boom, where a lot of Ohio craft brewers are looking at this saying, hey, we can make that, we can make it taste great, we can have it tested, we can follow all the responsible labeling requirements. So if it's not this, we're going to have to learn what else we can do. And you're right, we ryn Gus is a larger craft brewers in the state of Ohio. But you're also right that we've spent a long time developing this product and for the marketplace to go away in Ohio is very disappointing, and we're really hoping that something will change to allow it to exist as we wait for the federal guidance.
Speaker 2: How much you on your list as a CEO, your plate is always overflowing, right, How high up on the list is this for you? Of concerns?
Speaker 3: Very high, very hid. It took us. We spent two years learning about this marketplace and developing Fuzzy Bones, which is our brand of in tox getting hemp beverages, and we're really proud of the brand and we think we did a great job with the liquids and all the characteristics of that product. And so its been two years on something and then for the marketplace to go away overnight when we worked so hard to make sure that the Ohio generally assembly was informed about the category and writing regulations to allow and promote business to exist in Ohio was disappointing. So you're right, there's lots of things on my priority list, but this has been up top the priority list for a long time and it's going to remain there.
Speaker 2: Well, this is something I strongly advocate for, Adam, and keep me in the loop on it and how things are going. Lawmakers on all the time, people like yourself. It's senseless to think that just on the whims of an individual, that this stuff all goes away and then there's no accountability for the action whatsoever, no reason as to why you would eliminate an entire growing sector that clearly adult. OHI ones want. I wish all the best, Adam, thanks for joining the show this morning.
Speaker 3: Take care, Thank you to.
Speaker 2: All the best. Anam Binkovic, CEO at RANG guys here in Cincinnati, you know want you want people not to pay attention to do it during the holidays. You know, I'll be equally as hard on conservatives as I will liberals in the sense that you know, look at holding the feet of the fire that pure Vaul administration. For example, when it comes to transparency and accountability. I will turn that towards Governor DeWine here too. There's no answer. I've talked to lawmakers and people like Adam that there's no reason as to why Mike DeWine decided who's gonna kill this entire sector doesn't after to answer to anybody in that regard to and we still don't know why that should trouble all of us listening. Quick time out, we'll pivot. We'll get to the very latest. What's going on in Minnesota. Me and you talking this one out as to what you saw in your reaction coming up next year, and something that I think was missed in this whole thing and our fight over who's right and who's wrong in America, I think we're missing the big picture on something. I'll touch on that right after news update here on seven hundred ww boy, Hell of Us starts at twenty twenty sixth Huh. We have an eleven year old girl murdered on New Year's Day. We take out Maduro in vade Venezuela, and all our teams are over the New year here in Cincinnati. And now this yesterday morning in Minneapolis, ice agent shot killed Renee Good. We know our name now, Renee Good, thirty seven year old mother of one and also US citizen, appears to be Caucasian and intentionally blocked a group of officers. And big picture here is there have been what seven officer involved shootings, two of them fatal now involving ICE and other individuals. So yeah, I'm sure you've seen the video by now. If you haven't, it's about five six seconds maybe, And the person shooting the video is up close obviously, And agent approaches a c a SUV that's parked perpendicular to the street, somewhat blocking traffic. Not sure if this person's trying to get out. Some of the reports did say that this individual was, you know, blocking traffic. Others say she's trying to turn around or whatever. But nonetheless, you have a bunch of ICE agents uniformed, labeled marked. These are marked, and these aren't like undercover. You kind of know what's going on there. And the driver, as an agent approaches the front of the vehicle, says, hey, roll your window down. I need to talk to you. She doesn't do that. He tries to reach for the handle of the door from the outside, and at this point then she accelerates, now out of a high rate of speed as we've seen in the past and other other circumstances, but attempts to in the street's icy too, I believe, and tries to leave, but there's another agent in front of them. This one pulls their weapon out and fires a deadly shot. It looked appears to be like one round through the driver's side window that hits and strikes this woman. The suv speeds forward because at that point I'm guess saying that is good is no longer with us or some of the throes of dying. The vehicle speeds forward, strikes a park car short distance away. They render aid and she is sadly she has died. Almost the instant though this this awful news broke, we have two sharply different narratives that didn't just take hold. I mean they really were pushed actively by politicians. And on the right you had Christy Noman others labeling this as an issue of domestic terrorism, and that's a stretch. Certainly, the ICE agent was acting in self defense. That's pretty clear. Tactically speaking, it doesn't appear as if this was a good decision to stand in front of a car. We know Cincinnati and the way we police hear now because of what happened with Sam Debo some other cases, officers have said, hey, you know, it's not a good idea to stand in the front of a vehicle. But you know, we had a in occurrence I think it was in Columbus, was it where that individuals being stopped in a car backing of a parking spot cop shot her, But you know, to label them as a domestic terrorist, I don't know if I agree with that. On the other side, on the left, the progressive left, you have this calling him active murder. Well, it's not murder if you're a Swan law enforcement officer. And so the after the video came out, we had these parallel rushes to judgment and everyone's just sting and we still don't know the entire story, right. But my perspective on this is what does this say? What does it say about us here in Cincinnati. I can't speak for what's happening in Minnesota. I can talk about the fields here in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. And what troubles me about this whole thing is not the shooting itself. We'll get into that a minute. Is So this story is an entirely different time zone. It's in Minnesota and we're paying attention to it. But right now in Cincinnati, as far as social media goes trends, people talking, this is a bigger issue, a bigger story then the murder of Quinnary Reid in Laurel Playground, the eleven year old girl who was shot to death on New Year's Day? And what does that say about us? Wait, wait a minute, here's something that we haven't can have an impact on because it's local government. It's local and it's it's fair to ask, hey, where the cameras, what happened to the money? And I did all that yesterday's show and been doing that all week. What where's the accountability here? And hold them to a standard. But even that topic is like, yeah, okay, yeah, ke eleven year old kids shot. Mean, it's it's sad, it's horrible. But because this involves conservatives and progressives, this thing is just escalate. It's all anybody's talking about. And that is you know, well, we can certainly second guess our administration, we can certainly guess our elected officials. We should hold them accountable for things, whether you agree or disagree. But what does that say about us is as consumers of the news that were more people are more worked up about this than what happened on New Year's Day. I think that's a reflection on all of us, all of us, me, you, everybody. Relative to what's going on Minnesota, our good old friend who died a long time ago, common sense would come in early handy here, look, protest all you want, okay, And I'm watching live shots now on Fox and CNN of law enforcement and protesters clashing in Minnesota. It's a bunch of armed uniform military looking agents that are standing in front of people and trying to balk in the street somewhat here. I don't see, you know, punches being thrown. There's some pepper spray. I think some chemical hrants going on for those across the line. But by and large it's a peaceful demonstration. People protesting with the f the police signs and all that. And guess what, bring your bullhorns, bring your signs, yell be mad, absolutely on thousand percent this and we should you know, enforcing the border was a mandate by voters that helps sweep Trump in no office. We need to know who's coming here, we need to know why. I for a long time thought building a wall. It is kind of stupid unless it's around a major urban area to try and block them off. Sure, but in the middle of nowhere, a different story, But it doesn't mean you are against enforcing our borders. We need to know who's coming in this country. We need to separate the criminals from everyone else. That's a lot different than snatching people off the streets in the aisles of home depot. Based on how you look, that for many is a bridge too far. And if that upsets you, we should be protesting that.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: If you agree with it, then maybe you want to protest and support them for that too. Yeah, when you have people who came here as children and our teens are adults, they they don't deserve that kind of treatment. That's what upsetting me. It's a fundamental American right. But when you have an armed identifiable agent or a police officer or a sheriff's deputy issuing a command saying hey, stop, I need to talk to you, roll your window down, you stop and up until well, at least points you hear this. Countless cases where well they got shot because they're black. Right back to well Minnesota again, Rodney King and others because they're black. Well, okay, you know we've had the we had this shooting white woman, we had the shooting of figures for some of the lender, the lender guy, you know, Carl Linder's offspring who was shot. We had shootings in Boone County. We have all so you know the narrative about well it's because well it's not because they're black. It's because they're doing something they shouldn't be doing. And it doesn't matter if you think you're right. Hell, it doesn't matter if a judge says you're completely right, that doesn't matter at that moment in time. And you may be right, but you fight that in court alive, with an attorney or someone representing you. You certainly don't when someone ann officer and a market officer says, hey, I got to talk to you. Stop what you're doing. That is not the time to accelerate your vehicle. And here's the memo to progressives on this. The self absorption and the righteous indignation can get you killed. And it's not just progresses. If you think that way, that you can do whatever you want with impunity. And we see countless cases where people act the fool because they have I know my rights. You know, when when an officer's you disobey a lawful command and you're blocking the street, I'm not going to say, you get what's coming to you, but you open the door for that to occur. You have a hand in this. You're not completely innocent. And do we live in an age where everyone thinks that they are their own entity, they're their own island. No one can touch me, no one can disrespect me, or regardless of what authority or the authority you don't you know you can. You can't do what you want to you gotta. I can disrespect you, but you can't disrespect me. That's simply the culture in America today. Or you think you can do what you want with impunity, and you clearly you can. And if you're i know, a mega conservative for example, and you're not in your head going amen, yeah, yeah, yeah, Well guess what this also applied to Ashley Babbitt, didn't it?
Speaker 6: Wait?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: No, No, that's different. It's not different. You're in the United States Capitol on J six and there's a bunch of people trying to break down a door, or on the other side, are a handful against a big angry mob. By the way, a handful of law enforcement officers. Whether they're capital to police or ice agents, it doesn't matter. They're law and force for on law enforcement officers, and it's pretty clear they have their weapons out. You smash through the window and you look through and say, hey, there's a guy with a gun pointing it at me. I'm going to jump through this window. What the hell do you think was gonna happen? So this isn't about conservative ideology progressive ideo. This is about damn common sense is what this is. When the man has a gun and he's uniformed and he says, hey, I need to talk to you, stop, that's the time to take your foot off the gas. Protest all you want. There's a lot of things we should be protesting. There's this question about it. Things are off the rails. But the idea here is that, you know, now, people have already made their minds up based on five seconds of video, and that's where we are right now. We've completely lost any context or common sense whatsoever. Your thoughts A five point three seven four nine, seven thousand and eight The Big One on talkback iHeartRadio app also coming up at ten oh seven this morning, will continue the topic. Dan Hills is here, of course, you know him as the longtime head of the sinci FOP, who is now the head of president of Frontline advise. They advise local jurisdictions on while things like this, for example, a lot of what we'll call what is kind of spin control, if you need call it that, and just advise them on how to handle things because if you're a small jurisdiction and you get jammed up with what's going on Minnesota, you kind of need some guidance on that. That's what they do. Not to be labor that point, but this is a guy who is an expert in use of force, and I'm curious to know what his analysis is of what he saw in Minnesota. That's coming up at two ten of six in the meantime to Xenia and Jeff on the Scott Slung Show Morning, how are you and Scott?
Speaker 4: All good logical points there, But you know you're talking too much common sense yourself, right right.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: The thing is is if you if you watch YouTube, there's plenty of videos out there too about people. You know, hey, if you get pulled over by the cops, this is what you can and cannot do. You know, don't open your windows, don't do this, show them your license through the window, and this and that and as you just stated. You know, if you put yourself in the position that you can possibly be determined to be a threat to somebody, that's all it is. That's all it comes down to. And the cops aren't gonna hesitate because they don't know whether you might be some psychotic, they don't know what you might be a normal human being. But if you put yourself in that position, be ready for the consequences. And people just don't seem to think that, you know that they they are impunity, they have impunity, and they don't it doesn't matter what they do that they're they're gonna be okay with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's putting yourself in that situation. It's just it's the righteous indignation culture that you think you know without question and what I believe is the absolute, unmigated truth. And you have no right to tell me what to do. Well, you know, I don't know why you think that way or think it doesn't apply to you, but it does. And again, you can be one hundred percent of the right. That's up to a judge and a jury to decide at a later date if you're in the right or the wrong. But you know, you need to be alive to fight for that too. You know. It's the thing that somehow I'm this, you know, I'm gonna I know this woman was thinking being the savior to the community. Okay, good. You can empathize with them for sure, and advocate for them, as I think she was. But you know, when when there's a simple command to stop and you don't do that, it doesn't mean anything at that point. Just stop what you're doing. It's not a black, white male, female gay straight issue applies to everybody exactly.
Speaker 4: I had an instance where I'd go down and help a friend because he'd gotten pulled over. And I go down there and the cop said, hey, who are you? And I said, well, you guys called me to come down here.
Speaker 2: Says you got any ID on you?
Speaker 4: Right, and I gave it to him and the cops the other one said run it, you know, and I'm staying and they're looking at this guy said, wait a minute, I came down here to take this guy's car because you basically nabbed him for a duy or whatever, and you and you said run it, and right that second, you know, I'm slaying big time. But I didn't say anything because I know, I know that. If I want to do anything about it, well, I go talk to the supervisor, I go do something like that. But the fact that that basically that they do that, you know, to somebody, has nothing to do with it. It basically had basically coming down here to help a friend. But they figure birds of a feather is what they're looking at. I understand that too. I understand that too. But you know, that's simple interest. I could have I could have gone nuts on him, but I didn't, you know, and got a hand.
Speaker 2: I also get maybe this woman panicked too. There's an element there as well, like I wait a minute, all of a sudden, this got real. And but but again, you have to you have to have that situational awareness of going, okay, I probably should stop this vehicle. And I, you know, I don't know why you would pull forward if someone is standing you wouldn't do that. If a kid or maybe one of the people in the community were there who you're trying to help, were standing in front of you'd probably give them, hey, get out of the way thing. But instead decided to stay hit the gas. And now it's a fatal and it's you know, it's an ever evolving. So, but there's a there's a consistency here to this whole thing, and that is it's not it doesn't matter what you look like. And that's what I hated about the whole narrative the first time we did this in Minnesota. It's about your actions, about what you're doing when it evolves a officer involved stop. And I'll ask Dan about this. Come up, Dan Hills. I think it bears okay. So if you're a I don't know, you're since a police offer you haml Kant, a sheriff's deputy, you're trained in tactics when it comes to traffic. These are immigration agents, you know. Did they get the same level of a training as a beat cop and how to handle the situation like that? Because we talked about you look at it, go wow, that's kind of bad tactically that you're standing in front of a vehicle that's running. Okay, But were these guys have been trained for things like this? And I think that's something else that's missed here too in this effort to Villa and I, every single ICE agent that's out there and lined up is man, what are you doing? Why are you doing this?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: Because you swore an oath. Okay, now it doesn't allow you to break the law. You know, you're allowed to refuse legal orders. And look at the whole Clark thing, right, and you're taught that, But that seemed to be a reasonable order. Border patrols GA like, Okay, we're gonna stop, and this person's blocking traffic and we're trying to do our jobs. And now I got to find out why she's doing this, and hold on, stop, I gotta talk to you. You know, it's not like these guys, I think almost all of them, if not every one of them, Like you know, I just I want the paycheck and the job, and I don't make the policies. I go where I'm told. I mean, we all have jobs, we all report to someone. You go where you're kicked. That's true. Whether you're a radio talk show host, whether you work in a fifth third bank, whether you're I work at a grocery store, or whether you're an ice agent or police officer. Their orders. You may have disagree with them, but you got to pair amount. It's kind of like in the back of the day when I'm obviously I was in a on for this, but you know, the stories about soldiers coming back from Vietnam and people attacking them. What they're just fronding commands. It's like you're a baby killer. You're I didn't sign up for this. You want to be mad, be mad at Kennedy, be mad at LBJ, be mad at Nixon. I'm just I'm just a pawn. Five and three seven four nine, seven eight hundred, the Big One to Bridget and Peebles this morning, how are you?
Speaker 8: I am good?
Speaker 5: And I just want to say I'm a longtime listener of yours and first time caller, and I couldn't agree with you more. I just don't understand what people are thinking anymore. I mean, they just think they can do whatever they want, and it really makes you not want to go out in public. I mean, at least for me, I don't want to go down to Cincinnati and you know, get confronted by someone, and I'm just I don't understand it.
Speaker 8: I mean, I'm glad I live more out in a rural area that we don't have to put up with that as much. But I feel like I was looking at social media today Facebook and I felt like there was a post from Channel nine News about the girl and I've seen it, and I just can't believe that there's not more outrage about this.
Speaker 5: I mean, people comment about snow and weather in Cincinnati more than they have commented.
Speaker 2: About this, I think, And let me matter reject a second, Bridget And you know, I kind of understand. What I did is that you're one hundred percent right about that is what does that say about us? And that's me, it's you, it's everybody listening that we're more polarized and upset. And look how quickly people jump to one side or the other, and there's no room for going well, okay, the facts aren't in all the way yet on what's right or wrong. But you have the left and the other. You have conservatives, you have progressives, and they're entrenched to write. I mean, look, within seconds of the story breaking, and everyone in since in the air area is talking about this story more than what happened on New Year's Day with that eleven year old girl in the park, and that's a reflection on us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't understand it. I told everybody I made a comment, and I usually don't. I usually just kind of creep on social media, but I just said, everybody needs to go back and listen to your interview with the city council lady, and there was just no answer.
Speaker 8: I mean, I understand she's looking forward and she's.
Speaker 9: Trying to get she doesn't have answers.
Speaker 5: The right Yeah, I mean it was I felt like people need to go and listen to that interview, and they really need to, you know, I don't know. I'm like I said, I'm glad I live in Peeble's, Ohio.
Speaker 10: Small community, great community.
Speaker 9: So I work where I work.
Speaker 8: They have their Christmas parties down in Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: Didn't go this year.
Speaker 3: Not going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not good because they need the business down there. I I me and myself, I'm not you know, I'm not too worried about it. I mean, you know, situational awareness, right right time of day, right places you could I mean, sadly, as you know, you could wind up getting jammed up in something people's tomorrow. You just don't know. But I think it's reflective our society that. I mean, we just had a story here where a woman had a Maga Girl license plate, Maga Girl license plates, and someone shot at her. You know, I think that's two ways. Is number one, is I wouldn't put anything political on my vehicle, on my Bristol vehicle, how vanity plates anything like that. People are crazy, but we're just so entrenched in political ideology and this is just another example of it. Hey, Bridge, thanks for listening. I appreciate you. Have a great day. You thanks all the best. Got to get a news update and we'll continue the topic here with what's going on in Minnesota. Get some new eyes on it from Dan Hills, of course, long time CPD officer, Sergeant Dan formerly head of the FOP for a long time and now involved with a group of frontline advisor advice police agencies. I didn't get his eyes on this and see what he saw tactically, get an officer's response to what's going on. We'll chop all this up with Dan right after a news update and that's happening in about three minutes here latest in Minnesota, but Cincinnati as well. We got you covered. Scott'slan continues afterwards on seven hundred WWT Cincinnati. Don't want to be in American It saw me back on seven hundred WLW. The big story today, as we've been talking about, of course, is the UH just a horrific story coming out of Minnesota today, ice agents shooting a thirty seven year old single mom. I guess who intentionally blocked a group of officers And now to date there's been only seven officer involved shootings, two of them fatal, involving ice and citizens. So in this five second sequence we've all seen over and over that was filmed a fairly short distance away. Here's someone yell hey, presumably an agent. Agent walks up, tries to open the driver's side door, driver accelerates, second agent standing near the front of the vehicle, and as she tries to accelerate to leave, albeit slowly because the roads are pretty icy, it looks like the deadly shot is fired through the driver's side window from the front so the suv and then speeds forwards because at that point, presumably miss Good is either critical or dead, and the vehicle speeds for of strikes of park car short distance away, and that was not survivable. It's a horrible instance. We've seen this play out time and time again, and on that because he is he's seen it first hand. The use of force expert, former FOP president now President of Frontline Advisors is Dan Hills.
Speaker 10: Dan Welcome it's funny, good morning to you on this brisk winter morning. Yeah, I'm surprise you're here in town, not in Florida or somewhere. Yeah, I'm that's that's more Willie. That's down there. I try to stay as far away from there as I can for that. For that reason, I will say this.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say Happy New Year, but it doesn't fit because we've had a This has been a hell of a start to twenty twenty stations, when we had eleven year old girl murdered on New Year's Day at a park, we had the invasion of Venezuela. All of our teams in Cincinnata are oh for the new year, and now this I demand a restart of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 10: I'll second your motion.
Speaker 2: It's been awful. So after the shooting, obviously you get crowds gathering. They're gathering and protesting today. So far, I don't see too much of violence here towards police, other than maybe some snowballs. But you have federal agents appearing to respond by releasing chemical irritans around the crowds right now, and you know there's you look at this whole thing and it's played out time and time again. Dan, there's just no winners in this. You know, everyone's taking signes and this as I've been talking about this morning, and yet certainly the neighbors lose, the protesters lose, the cops lose, the ice agents lose, the country loses.
Speaker 10: This is it's just horrible, it is, you Know'slanny. I appreciate you having me on, but you know I have to go in and tell your audience than the ones that you know this already, that I'm coming in pretty biased, right. I represent h plolice officers and you know did for years as the union president and still do with frontline advisors. With all that said, I do want to speak to a greater audience, one that one that doesn't necessarily see everything in the same lens that that I do. And you know, I do understand why people look at a shooting like that involving the vehicle and say why and and so for that part, I will say that, you know, I don't like to see the tactical approach of anybody being in front of a vehicle one that is you know, obviously in drive. Right. With that said, though too, that your bad tech approach does not remove you from the right to defend when you defend yourself and defend yourself, as the courts have laid out, and that is about the perception at the time, the perception that you have at the time, and that a reasonable auser would do the same thing. It doesn't mean that every officer would do the same thing. It means that a reasonable auser would do the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this has elements of uh not directed. But but this is like Ray to Bow's rate Tensing Sam to Bow's over in that occurrence, and you are on the job then and you know, we well remember how horrible that was. Is Officer Tensing is trying to stop the BOS for a front flight violation, which then at the time Joe Dieters now Supreme Court to set up his BS to BS. It's it's a chicken bleep stops. I think the words that he used, and we since change that with front plate because I think he's right in that regard too. I mean, it seems cheap, as there's plenty of people with expensive cars, maybe at Kenwoock Country Club for example, where they don't have front plates because it's a you know, eighty thousand dollars car. They're not the ones getting pulled over usually, But in that regard not to get down a rabbit hole or get out in the weeds on this thing, I look at it and go, yeah, you know you're reaching in a car to try and stop it, and he pulls off and Tensing it no choice but to shoot. And we've changed tactics since then. I guess the big question Dan would be street cops know that, but our ice agents trained as street.
Speaker 10: Cops are, well, you you went down a rabbit hole. I'm going to sit down there with you. I've talked about I've talked about ten ten on the radio. I have a very strong belief that ten Ting did not decide to shoot to as Joeaters was putting down there because he's a racist, or he wanted to kill, or be because he wanted to save his wife. I thank Tenking shot because of a muscle reflex. I think it was an accidental shooting. And I'm went over that. There's a fourth science experts out there and stuff that I'll talk about the timing with that, the one that would actually match this better.
Speaker 6: Solony.
Speaker 10: If you remember, I think the trial just happened last year is in twenty twenty five. So not that long ago. Is the blended township? Am I saying that? Right? Up and up by Columbus the lady was a leisure or whatever. That case and it went to a trial is very similar to this. And that's another one where people saw somebody out in front of a car, and I guess again have the questions about that, And those are fair questions because I do not believe those were good, strong tactical approaches. But again, just because your technical approach isn't the best, that doesn't stop you. As far as caseball is considered, from the right to defend yourself, and when you're holding a gun, and when you're already pointing a gun, your natural order of reflex almost is then to use that gun to defend yourself. And so again, the people who are going to be question this, they're going to say, well, why didn't he move out of the way? And you know, could moving out of the way been a good answer? It could have been? Could, but could was his reflex is at that time something that would be reasonable? And I think that's what we're going to end up finding them. I hope to God it through a trial or whatever. I hope this political divide doesn't create an officer being charged for something that quite clearly was the self defense move. One that we can argue about when we can talk about tactics about and all that stuff. But as far as could you ever see a jury beyond a reasonable doubt saying that this person that you know want to work that day with the intention of just killing somebody.
Speaker 2: But that's a sad thing the case, Dan, that's a sad narrative I think from you know, from aggressives, for example, is that these guys are bloodthirsty and want to go out there and shoot as many people. You know, you're sworn. You took a sworn oath, right, And this is kind of like the parallel to me and I mentioned earlier. The parallel is like when soldiers came home from the Vietnam War and they're spit on and cursed. They're you know, they're they're they are under orders, they're in her command to do that. Now, a lot we're drafted. You don't have a draft in this case with police officers. You do this voluntarily. But you know when you when you joined the force, however many years ago or whatever's you signed up for perhaps you know this, this wasn't seen as something that's going to happen. You never know what's going to happen tomorrow or the next minute on, and so you're following commands. You're following orders. Now, whether they're lawful orders or not, it seems like a lawful command to go out whatever they're asking this woman to do. The other reasonable side of this thing is is looking at it going, well, you know, the idea that these cops are out there to just hammer down on citizens is silly in itself. No one's going to sign up for that, and certainly it's not going to pass muster. But the problem is at the top. If you disagree with the policies and how they're being enforced, you have every right to protest that. But when when an armed agent tells you to stop what you're doing, roll your window down, obey a command, that's not the time to hit the accelerator.
Speaker 10: It sure isn't. And that's what you know. I'm I looked at the shooting, and like I said, I come in knowing that and a lot of stuff and a lot of history, and I believe in my heart of heart that that that's not going to be prosecuted. Because it is prosecuted, the alser to be found not guilty. He has a right to defend himself. So just to move beyond that for Minionian talk about the deeper politics that's going on here and how dangerous it is that you have a mayor and a governor, you know, wanting to jump out ahead of this without even any time, uh to to to really take a deep look at it, and want to call this this this I think they've even used the word murder or something of that sort. And there they are setting the stage for something that you know is approaching, you know, almost civil ar type of of a reaction where you're you're splitting the right and the left up there to the point where we can't even have reasonable conversations.
Speaker 2: We can't.
Speaker 10: I come in, I come in with bias that I'm I'm conservative, yes, and I am I am pro law enforcement, and and of course I'm all for cost defendent themselves. But I'll have a reasonable conversation with somebody about this. I'm not going to come on screaming and using the F bomb and all this stuff like this mayor did we just were losing civil discourse, and that's questions.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, on the right calling this this woman a domestic terrorist, is that that's also insane. I mean, it's probably a right. I mean, that's just that's just fair. But but look at I was pointing this out earlier, is that the instant this broke, we went into two entirely different narratives on this before all the facts came out, by the way, and we didn't know what the timeline was, and we still don't know all the facts of this thing, but politicians on both sides actively push their agenda. We go to demerica, domestic terraces on the right, murders on the left, and and we just it just we don't even know the whole story. And as I pointed out, and this comes back to you as a longtime CPD officer, Dan Hills, what does it say about us here in Cincinnati. I can't speak for Minnesota or any other state, but Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. What does it say about us here? The biggest story of the week so far is this. It's exploding all over the city. People are debating and discussing it. Something that happened in a different time zone, is bigger than the issue. When we talk about justice for Quinary Reid, who was murdered on New Year's Day at a park, that story was like wow, everyone's like, yeah, okay, another shot, another eleven year old, this park, Okay, great, put the cameras up, debate at whatever. But this story is more gripping than that. What does that say about us?
Speaker 10: Yeah, no, it's it's a really good point you're making when we have we have an eleven year old that is completely innocent, and this isn't like this is the first time it's happened. By God, it happened in almost in the exact same spot. Cincinnati needs to really come to grist of what is going on culturally, the criminal justice system. All these things come together and it isn't working. Something is really really broken bad. When we can kind of shrug off the death of eleven year old, like you said, go and then now we're off worrying about something in some other state, or what we're actually worrying about is like you heading off to our right left camp, so everybody just once can't wait to head off into their own camp instead of having a discussion. And Sonny, you said it too. About this shooting. We don't know all the facts. I could sit here and tell you, Look, I'm biased, I'm pro police, and I have a lot of experience in these type of cases, and I believe that the outre will be found just in what he did. But that doesn't mean that there isn't still more to know about this thing. Before you say anything for sure, before you decide whether you're would you just say that the two camps are murder or domestic care or whatever camp, I think we should all slow down a little bit. I think we should flow down a lot and say, look, something awful happened. There was a loss of life. I think we're going to find that there was a lot of things that came up to this uh uh that that we need to look at too, these demonstrators, how we're reacting to these demonstrators, ices and all that stuff. Because we want to prevent loss of life, we all should agree on that and then then we can move on from there. But if all we do is head off to those two camps like you talk about, screaming at each other, I'm really really worried about America and and and and to do that little bounce back like you said, I'm worried about I'm worried about our community that we still haven't even really come to griss of what just what just happened to?
Speaker 2: Yeah, second eleven year old murdered in Laurel Park in two and a half years and people just shrug and go, Okay, well, what's what's for dinner? And we're all wor at word about Minnesota. Yeah, back when you were on it, you know, we had the whole I mentioned the police involve shootings here and how tactically we change things on the street saying, hey, you know, let's let's not stand in the front part of a vehicle that's running right and kind of maybe move to the side. We've seen shootings. You mentioned one Columbus. That was another one where the woman's trying to back up out of a parking spot, or the person's backing up and officer shoots them. And I get that. I just wonder if there's a disconnect between, you know, not to make this all about tactics, but the kind of training that ice agents were getting relative to these stops. You guys train all the time, and I just don't I don't know, and maybe you do or don't what level of train they receive when it comes to traffic stops like this, because essentially you've got immigration agents that are handling this. This was a traffic stop. I don't know what the level of training there is with those guys, and you know, I think that also clouds things too.
Speaker 10: It'd be a guest, but I think you're you're going down the right day. Up. I think it's it's likely that they haven't had trained slash experience in these type of things, because, yeah, I see this, I see this crazy uh demonstrator not to talk to all of the dead, but out there, you know, what are you doing moving her car around when she's dealing with a bunch of armed agents. It doesn't seem very balanced to me. Slowly, I'm up on the sidewalk, I'm standing behind the st here.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: There's only so much a human being can do to affect a car. If if they wanted the stopper or I would use a vehicle or something to stop her if they if they have charges that are that high a level that they want to do. Other than that, I mean, you know, I'm giving my commands from somewhere say.
Speaker 2: The story here is it? And again it may change, it may not who knows, but that she was blocking traffic and she's trying to pull away and move her You know, the self absorption and righteous indignation can get you killed. And that's true. Whether it's it's this this woman, this thirty seven year old Renee Good in Minnesota, whether it's uh, you can you can? You know, look at the Sam Debos thing, look at the look at the shooting of of Linder. Right, we had shootings that you know, you start doing in pointing weapon and whether it's a car or a gun at a and an armed officer, bad things are going to happen to you as well. They should. This was entirely preventable. But just roll the window down and talk to the agent. I don't understand the pulling away and why we're defending that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't know what business it is now that's running a commercial might be for all, getting getting your call and screened or whatever is like, these things are preventable, and you know, I'm on the loss what I think today? Have you heard this commercials w W an them? But these things are preventable, is your point these things are very preventable, and it starts with the person that lost their life. They made lots of decisions, uh that that that prevented this. Yes, I know we tend to look at the institutions, whether it's a police department or ice or whoever, and say how can they do things better? And we always should right, right, But but but these these these actors that are going out and doing these things, are are putting themselves at risk. And look, if you don't like the law, immigration laws. I believe in immigration laws. I believe in borders in the country. If you don't believe in them, then vote for somebody that's you know, wants to change the immigration law or peacefully demonstrate in a way that is common sensical. Don't go out there and put your life on the line to make your statement, because it is a shame. Like I said, everything is is well also, Dan going about things much more peaceful.
Speaker 2: You know you can be for you could be for securing the borders and making sure we know who's coming in this country and our sovereignty.
Speaker 6: We have a right to do that.
Speaker 2: But you know, even a lot of people agree with that, disagree with sweeping people up in home depot and just snatching them up and grabbing them with like, hey, we're going to quiz you see if you're here illegally or not. You know, I got a couple of people that I know personally through family, friends and the like that. One guy's Irish and and now he may be kicked out of the country for whatever reason. He got me went to school here, and there's there's stories that's all the time. It's just like, uh, you know, when when you overextend yourself in that capacity, going from immigration to in a lot of cases, what we're doing here, you know, it tends to polarize people and turn people against you. Would normally support you. But again, when an officer gives you a reasonable command, hey roll your window down. You're blocking the street. You can't block us from doing our jobs. You've got a problem right there, because that's your war.
Speaker 6: Can't do it.
Speaker 10: You have to obey law enforcement. And this wedge, this wedge that the politicians out there are putting between federal law enforcement and state law enforcement, is insane. Look, I'm responding to whatever law enforcement officer needs assistance. I'm not thinking about the politics involved in it, and neither should the Minnesota Chief of Police and some of the things that they're saying that the christ should recognize law enforcement officers as law enforcement officers. And again, they are enforcing the law. Maybe it's not the most popular, Maybe some people might not like the common sense of who they're approaching at a certain time or whatever. We can all talk about that, but you know, policemen needs help. They need to stand together as police officers, federal whatever, as long as as long as they're enforcing the law and doing it going about it in the legally correct ways, Gateball approved ways that they should stand together. And this divide that's being put in between them, Yeah, this is really bad.
Speaker 2: This is blaming the foot soldier obviously for what the what the chief is doing. And yeah, I think it's it's it's unfair to think that some I wonder how many you've talked to ICE agents off the record. I don't know, but I wonder how many they agree with what they're doing. But again, it's it's their job. They're sworn to do this stuff, and you'll obey the commands above you. So Dan Hill's at the frontline advisor. He's a president of course, former FOP president here in Cincinnati. Dan, thanks for the insight and these these trying times. Indeed, hope the new year gets better from this point for it all the best of you to you too, sir, and the best of you and your family all the best, Yes, thank you. Let me get a news update in and more to follow. Here's the Scott's Loland Show seven hundred W. Wilderland me here on seven hundred W l w R Thursday morning segments with Sonja Shava Krimani Er Doc, one of the top doctors in the country, I'm told also our fitness and health guide. Just kind of a little check up on this first segment of the new year. Welcome are you my friend?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 10: Happy years?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I heard you.
Speaker 2: Understand that you have been voted top eer physician in the United States. Uh, the opposite.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I I was in the Top Docs episode of Cincinnati Magazine. I was not voted at Top Docs, but you know some of my work is highlighted there.
Speaker 10: Appreciate.
Speaker 9: Why do you just say.
Speaker 2: Again the truth. We're in the post truth society, Sanjay, just say you're the best guy in the world. Fair one will check, No one will check. Here we are in the first first CENTI first week of January, and I know the trend the kids all do, like yourself, here is dry January. What the hell is the point of that?
Speaker 10: So it's it's interesting, Scott, before you even go on, I found this shock. This that shocking, which was Gallup poll found that fifty four percent of adults drink alcohol now, which is the lowest it's been since they started recording it. Yeah, which is it was my it's been up to like seventy one percent, so like fifty four percent, So it's actually become less commonplace to drink. Have you tried tried January before?
Speaker 6: So I'm really I don't.
Speaker 2: Drink all that much. I might have, you know, every couple of weeks or maybe once a week really unless we're out with friends or something like. I'm not like a big sit around and watch football and drink beer. I don't know why I should because my team's never win, so I should probably drink more than I don't.
Speaker 1: It was dull the pain, for sure. Yeah, but you know, now that the season's over for the Bengals, you know, there's no real reasons. But yeah, it's it's actually becoming more and more common. The whole dry January thing only started about less than twenty years ago, which also was surprising to me. I thought this has been around for a while, But what we're seeing is the movement's increasing. And this study just came out, Actually it was out of Brown University, but it was a combination of a bunch of other studies about dry January and the positive effects that we're actually seeing. And it's really encouraging for the movement, not just for the month itself, but for the long term effects of actually just going cold turkey for a month.
Speaker 2: How many people continue after Januer saying, you know, I feel pretty good, I don't need the alcohol.
Speaker 10: So it's a significant amount. And it's not necessarily like going completely sober, we don't see that so much, but it is a huge curb on the drinking.
Speaker 1: So you know what doing a dry January does. It tells you a few things. One you can reflect on it. And that's one of the most important things I tell people, which is, you know, don't just do the act. Think about how you felt before, and then document how you feel afterwards, because you'll see the benefits. And if you don't reflect on it, you may see it and you may just say, you know, this is just one month in my life and go back to your usual habits. What people find is by doing a month of dry January, feeling better, they're sleeping better, they're like having better social connections, and you know, they're losing weight. You know, there's a ton of effects to work this, and people realize if they reflect on it and curb their drinking. So maybe you know, you're doing two drinks a night, or two drinks a few times a night, and maybe it's down to two drinks once a week, which any cutdown is beneficial.
Speaker 2: Is there a benefit to alcohol, I'm sorry, is there a benefit to alcohol specifically wine? You know, you hear about the Mediterranean diet and the French and they drink a lot of wine and the health and is that bonc or is there a certain amount of alcohol that actually is helpful?
Speaker 1: So I know, the studies keep going back and forth, and you know, we get conflicting evidence, which makes it r The current stance in science is that there is no health benefit to drinking alcohol. So no alcohol is better than any at all. Uh And and you know, maybe it's subject to change, but I kind of believe for myself someone who you know, It's not like I was binging or anything, but I was drinking more than I do now. And it just took a couple of changes and now I'm like you, I'm drinking maybe one night a week. It's that and at that it would be like a drink or two max and h seeing that has has confirmed my bliss.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're out three or four nights a week, that's that's a problem, unless you know, you're in college. I think you get to pass up until grad school. Then after that it's probably time to take that kind of stuff seriously. But if in the thing, you kind of probably want to admit to yourself, hey, I'm probably drinking more nights than I should be. If I can cut that back down to you know, one or two, how much is how much? Is the way you said? You know, no alcohol is you know, the best, but I think you know, a little whe or red wine something like that, it's probably pretty good for you. You know, you start chugging handles of Jack Daniels, you got problems.
Speaker 1: Exactly, you know, And I'm I'm not one to say, you know, absolutely cut it out of your life, no questions asked, you know, there is a point to drinking. Sometimes there is a social connection and something that happens when you when you're sharing drinks with friends. Sure, but I would say, you know, no more than once or twice a week and you'll you'll be better off. And even that again, limiting your alcohol consumption will help you in in a ton of ways.
Speaker 10: And it's been shown scientist.
Speaker 2: Let's get into those things that that show up that just one month of dry January, no drinking and dry January, what does that do for you? What are the benefits?
Speaker 10: Yeah, so one of the main things that you know, you and I talked about it on our very first segment, which is sleep. A lot of people drink alcohol too before they go to bed and they say, you know, it helps me sleep, and there is some truth to that.
Speaker 1: It helps you get to sleep. The problem is you don't. You don't stay asleep, so you get this four hour rebound effect where the alcohol goes away and suddenly your brain is more wired than.
Speaker 10: When you went to bed.
Speaker 1: And so you know, if you're waking up in the middle of the night because of alcohol, there's the alcohol is the reason for that. The other thing we see is that you don't get rem sleep when you drink alcohol, or you get very minimal rem sleep, So while you fall asleep, and you fall asleep quickly, you don't get that quality sleep that helps you restore, helps you forward memories and do all the stuff that happens during your dream state, which is essential for not just you know, happiness, but also helps So sleep is the main thing.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, Yeah, I was gonna say. It's Sanjay Scheva Crimani. He's the our physician also a resident health and fitness guy on the show. And first segment you were talking about drive January and a lot of people are getting on this bandwagon by the thousands, especially your millennials and gen zers, older gen zers, I guess I should say, are getting on this bandwagon just for a month to see how it feels. And then remarkably people go back back to those habits that don't make them feel well. But you know, I think, like we're saying anything in moderation is pretty good. We're talking about the effects of that though, and what you know, going dry for an entire month is going to do for your body, sleep being one, what else.
Speaker 1: The other things the things that come out of sleep directly would be your mood and energy levels. So people feel better, they have more energy to do the things they want, and especially in a dreary month like January, that will help you.
Speaker 10: So things that come out of sleep.
Speaker 1: The other things we see is weight loss, and you can imagine, you know, the term empty calories. I just kind of heard it, but I didn't know what it meant. But basically, there's no nutritional value in alcohol, but it has a ton of calories if you look at at a bottle or if you're having a sugary cocktail or something like that, it adds up quickly. And so people find that they lose about three to five pounds if they do drive January on average, And so that's a pretty significant thing, especially when you know we start the year and we all want to be healthier, et cetera. That would be a huge way to get there, is just limiting those empty calories that aren't doing anything for you. The other thing we see, uh, you know other things anyway, would be a drop in blood pressure that seemed kind of across the board, uh, and then liver problems. So you know, it's interesting.
Speaker 10: A lot of us have what we call fatty liver disease, which is basically as fat deposits, and what they saw in these studies is that those amount of fat deposits go down in your liver. Fat deposits are important because what what they can lead to is liver injury and eventually, and this is not to like spook anyone else, but you know, it's one of the precursors sometimes for cirrhosis, and so that's end stage liver disease. And so any any cut back.
Speaker 1: On your alcohol intake will decrease that fat formation in your liver. So we see a ton of benefits from from dropping alcohol.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you hear about that fatty liver thing that that's concerning, and that is from drinking out of that diet, and lack exercise too contributes to its.
Speaker 10: All of the above.
Speaker 1: So you know, you have non alcoholic fatty liver disease and then you have the alcoholic type. And so what we find is that you know, alcohol does lead to it, but also obesity and being overweight can lead to it too, just because of insulin resistance. And so there are many ways to get a fatty liver, but alcohol certainly doesn't.
Speaker 10: Help and probably it leads to a lot of the cases.
Speaker 2: This is the time of year of people focus on diet and exercise and okay, drive j anywhere. Can you do too much?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 2: Can It's like, hey, I'm gonna diet and it's dry January and I got I'm gonna start exercising and you start loading that up on your plate. Should you just pick one of the three or more?
Speaker 1: Whatever? Whatever you can sustain is always the best. Like, it is possible to go too hard just for your brain. No, health wise, no, it's not a thing. And that comes with a disclaimer. If you do drink moderate to severe amount of alcohol, I'm talking like three or four drinks a day or more, I would consult a health professional before you go cold turkey. That's why risk, because the risks of alcohol withdrawal are very high. The other, you know, the other thing to your point is, uh, it's hard to it's hard to make change. And so if you've never tried, you know, improving your health before, I would recommend doing one thing now. This may be the thing for you, especially if if you're drinking, you know, three plus times a week. Just dropping that.
Speaker 10: Again, better sleep leads to better health, Uh, at least a better mood.
Speaker 1: It leads to better social connections, and just try it out and see again. Like we were talking about before the break, the benefits of habit formation. You know, it's great if you can find a health habit, but it takes about three weeks to even start forming those connections in your brain. So that's the beauty of doing dry January fair an entire month because you can start building those habits and that ability to say no, I won't drink tonight and showing yourself the benefits of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's fascinating because you know, you start to feel better, you notice those changes, and one may ask, well, why don't you keep You tend to fall back into the same pattern. No, I think, and you know, for the next eleven months you try to make up for the one month where you didn't drive.
Speaker 1: It's definitely possible to have that rebound, which is that reason of building those good habits and even the habit again of saying no or not sharing it. Now there's there's all these things that have been kind of set up for success for drand dry January. Where we lived right now at this time in history, and our beautiful city. You know, a ton of restaurants out there and bars now have mocktails, so you have another option if you don't want to drink alcohol. You know, if you if you name it, Homemakers is one of them that just prides themselves on their mocktails. Sundry Advice does it too, but almost every restaurant is doing mocktails, and so there are other options. And then if you know, I've had the Athletic Brewing, which is an alcoholic beer I don't even like I PAS, and their non alcoholic i PA is amazing, And so you know, there's there's a ton of options out there. The other thing is we have leaders in the industry of food and wine and drink that are you know, telling telling their alcohol story and talking about how they've achieved sobriety, Jose Salazar being one of them. And so you have leaders in our community that are speaking about the benefit of stopping alcohol intake. And so that's that's leading into it too. And then again more and more people are doing it's now socially acceptable to not drink alcohol, which I don't think was the case you know twenty years ago. You know, you get made fun of or people would be like, are you pregnant? And even if you're a guy, you know, and now it's much more socially acceptable, and that's it's created a better, better society.
Speaker 9: For all of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it makes sense at this time of the year. As I mentioned the confluence of diet, exercise, not drinking, all these things. If you make this part of a fast let's pivot to that real quick here too, because I know a lot of people at first the year they start a I got to clean up after the holidays, they had a couple of weeks off and I feel like crap, and I've got to reset my metabolism, my brain. Where are you on fasting? Does it actually work? And what you should What should you do if you're contemplating.
Speaker 1: It's tough. I know a lot of people who have had success with it. At the end of the day, a lot of people say that the fasting its main effect is that it's hard to eat all your caloric intake in one day. I'll be honest, I don't know all the data on it, and I know it gets down to a lot of minutia that I don't bother myself with. I mean, I'm still a simple guy who says calories in versus calories out.
Speaker 10: And there's you know, there's there's layers on top of that.
Speaker 1: Of the type of food you're bringing in, et cetera. And I just I try to be I try to live with a cleaner diet these days than I used to. For a while there, I was eating onhealthy and a lot of like inflammatory foods, and now I'm introducing more fiber and nutrient rich foods to my diet and less processed stuff. As far as you know, it is possible to go too hard, and you know, if you're intimently fasting, it might work for you, it's really hard to maintain that long term. And so like with anything, I say, do what makes you feel better that you can maintain forever, as opposed to going hard and really clunging yourself and maybe seeing some benefits. But then when it's done, like you talked about, when it's done in February or whenever you decide to stop that process, you don't rebound and go crazy and you know, eat everything under the sun. So small changes are more important that you can sustain than one massive change that is just going to be a flash.
Speaker 10: In the pan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard success. People get older, you know, inflammatory disease, everything starts hurting, and as soon as you clean your diet up or fast for a while, you start to feel better. You know, you go into what's called katosis, where you're burning your fat basically you know, very low carbohydrates if any. But there's a certain benefit that mentally and physically as well. But of course you know, you can't fast for thirty straight days. There's a reasonable amount of time you should you should subject your body to that. So and then gradually introduce reintroduce foods that there are maybe less inflammatory. So as you get older, that definitely is that when you're younger, but you're older, everything hurts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there are Resilience is huge when we're when we're young. And then it starts to say that you and I have experienced. I'll say I did the Whole thirty diet, which is anti inflammatory and no alcohol. I did that for a January a few years ago, and the things I learned from that I took with me. Did I you know, do I go Whole thirty all the time?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: But do I see the things and the potential benefits and stopping alcohol and being more mindful about the food that I'm putting in my body. Yes, and so it's do it over time. The more you do it, I mean, it's almost like stopping any bad habit. Reflect on it, see how it makes you feel. You will probably you know, fail and even if you you know, if you do drive January back to that and you start you have a drink or to either in January, they're calling it damp January, where you like.
Speaker 10: Maybe slip up. It's better then, It's better than just you know, drinking every day or going back. It's okay.
Speaker 1: We're human after all, and it's okay to slip up every now and then, no matter what, you're doing your body a favor by decreasing your.
Speaker 2: Alcoholic Sonja Schewercramani is an er doctor here in Cincinnati and he comes on the show Thursday mornings. It's not just doctor stuff, it's health, food, fitness all that. He's at Dine Well Doc and we'll talk next Thursday. Appreciate the time, Be well.
Speaker 10: Thanks loaning YouTube Well.
Speaker 2: Minnesota continues to boil for obvious reasons. We're back to that again in the very latest news. Get you updated on all that and more in about four minutes here on seven hundred w OLWD Cincinnati, Want to be an American Shots Loan on seven hundred WWT, continuing to follow what's happening in Minnesota and that horrific set of events, and hard to believe it is only the eighth day of the new year. Every day there's something more we got it. We need to I think a new year reset, if you will. Other stuff going on includes, of course the battle over healthcare too, and we recently had a government shutdown that illustrated the silliness, absurdity with poult that we tolerate in this country right now, certainly in America. You know a lot of people still come here for health care renowned for research and development, and there's a lot of vesture in that. So you know, certainly the system is broken. It's not completely broken or it can't be fixed. But we're back to that critical issue of healthcare and getting people covered. On that is doctor Peter Cowie on the show this morning, How you been.
Speaker 9: Scott, Thanks for having me and I appreciate the invitation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think this is extremely relevant now that we fight over healthcare subsidies and you know, you know, there are a number of Americans that are dependent upon that and working people who are working multiple jobs in order to try and survive today, and they need healthcare. It's not provided by their employer, and so ACA fills that void. They get high scores for that. But you know, to act like somehow it makes it affordable, it doesn't. Because the tremendous amount of subsidy that's at stake here, you continue to subsidize things, it distorts what the costs really are, and it really it just glosses over a broken system them in that regard, doesn't it absolutely.
Speaker 9: You know, we have two populations that are at risk here. One is obviously the uninsured, but there's a gigantic proportion of our population who are underinsured, so they have to pay large deductibles, they have to pay a lot of out of pocket expenses when they seek medical care. Those are the people who are really at risk here. And of course, with the reduction in the subsidies, their premiums look like they're going to.
Speaker 10: Go through the roof.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we have lawmakers breaking away. I mean, Taylor Green from Georgia's just saying, look, listen, you know I've got family members that rely on subsidies on the Affordable Care Act in order to provide they're working a few jobs. I have family members that are like that right now. You know, this isn't like us against them and we might you know, it's because it's Obamacare. It must be destroyed. It's propping up a broken in defunct system, and something needs to be done because the future is not looking bright. And you're right about that in failure to treat what this really means for ordinary families as things continue the way they are. The broad picture on this, though, doctor Cowie is Here's what I don't understand, right, is that we have a not a good system was is with Medicare and Medicaid and the Affordable Character and Obamacare and things are being popped up and subsidized and it's ugly and it doesn't work the other side of it, I don't see many ideas come out of the Republicans though, when it comes to a better solution for this other than well, you know, it's socialized medicine and we can't have that. What's the solution.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so you're entirely correct, we can't. We have a patchwork system right now, we have people trying to get health insurance in several different directions, and as we've already said, at very high cost. It really is going to come down, unfortunately, to a debate about whether we should as a country, as a civilization here, but just say everybody has to have affordable healthcare, and in whatever form that's going to take. You've heard the term medicare for all. That may be a little bit large in terms of how much that would cost and whether it could be implemented. But the truth of the matter is that until we get to the point that we all agree that this is not a luxury, this is a necessity that we need to provide affordable healthcare for all of our citizens. Until we grasp that concept, I'm afraid that the system is not going to get fixed.
Speaker 2: In the Isey the overwriting story here regards of where you stand politically on this, the fact is it doesn't. I think everyone agrees in Republican Democrats know that it doesn't work the way it is, and it's something has to give because we spend what twice as much per person on healthcare as other countries who are wealthy, and something like thirteen thous or thirteen grand per person annually spend on healthcare, and a lot of those people don't use healthcare. We're talking about younger people who don't use healthcare as much as older people do. And we're not getting any better outcomes. Number one one cause of personal bankruptcy medical bills. That's no future for a that's still a recipe for future success. I should say.
Speaker 9: Now, we're spending four and a half trillion dollars a year on healthcare in the United States, projected in twenty thirty five to be closer to nine trillion dollars on healthcare, and yet, as you just said, and I completely agree, we sit at the bottom in ranks of civilized countries in terms of almost any healthcare outcome measure you want to use, infant mortality, life expectancy. It is not a system that's working.
Speaker 10: But we have the recently.
Speaker 9: You're preamble by the way, I really appreciate it, because you're.
Speaker 10: Right, you know you can.
Speaker 9: The glass isn't completely empty half empty. There's a lot of really good things about our healthcare system. The problem is access.
Speaker 10: The problem is allowing people to get into the system so that they can take advantage of this wonderful technology and innovation that we have here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we saw the murder of the CEO of United Healthcare and the reaction that I saw from a number of people sickening that we're celebrating the death of the CEO of a company like he is the one driving this problem people. And I get it, you know, it's a metaphor for the system that's broken. But I don't understand celebrating someone's assassination basically is what happened here? What does that tell you about where we're in and how much of that has to do? And I get it. You know, insurance companies and insurers they stand the most to gain by well what the democrats want. A lot of this money is going to go to UH. If you subsidize anything, what happens is you just it just costs you more. College is a great example. You know, we subsidize college. Everyone has to go to college free college money grants tuition on the thing, and college is raised it. Okay, we'll just going to charge more because more people have its more money and it's artificial till you have to pay it. The same thing is true here, isn't it.
Speaker 9: Yeah? I agree entirely would you song with the reaction to that unfortunate event is how angry people are. I think what you saw was a reflection of their frustration and their anger with dealing with healthcare insurance companies that they really don't care about you. I mean, they've advertise on television how much they care, and the truth of the matter is they don't. I don't know if you saw recently, Scott, that a number of companies, including Medicare as well, are now going to go to pre certification done by artificial intelligence.
Speaker 10: Now think about that.
Speaker 9: Think about that your doctor orders a test and some computer is going to make a decision as to whether or not.
Speaker 10: You can get that test done or not.
Speaker 9: I mean, that's the level of the absurdity that's going on with pre certification, for example, or denials of care. And in the book as failure to treat their numerous examples in the stories about people who suffered really severe harm because of what happens with their medical insurance system as it currently exists.
Speaker 6: Oh, you don't have to.
Speaker 2: Look far to find those examples that you know, the things that you think are covered, and they try to find a way not to cover it. Or you know, it's almost a It's hard enough when your child, for example, as you know doctor Cowie is ill and you're trying to get them treatment for something like pediatric cancer, heart or some sort of serious illness like that, and then you're waging a war with the insurance company on top of that. It seems punitive.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and don't don't believe that the doctors aren't advocating. I mean, my office spends almost a full fte just dealing with insurance companies to get certification for procedures. And they put you on hold for a couple of hours and you have to wait there until they've decided to come on the phone. And then when they deny something, you have to go into a complicated system of trying to appeal to appeal the decision, and you have to go up in the ladder to what they call a peer review and talk to somebody who may not even be in your specialty to make a decision about coverage. So the system is rotten. Okay, it's a rotten system.
Speaker 10: And unfortunately we've adapted to a tried to live with it.
Speaker 9: But it has to it has to change.
Speaker 2: Well, we've heard that for a long time, though, What is going to be the change agent here? Is it going to be one extreme case, one extreme example, kind of like you know, when we have a terror attack, everything changed after nine to eleven. Do we need like a medical nine to eleven to occur? And what would that look like?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, you know, I wondered.
Speaker 9: I've wondered this myself. You know, I used to think that when the Sandy Hook shootings occurred and all those children were massacred, that that was going to stimulate change in the gun laws. And it didn't. Uh, it almost rised the level of absurdity of what you need to do to convince legislators. And that's where this has to come from. Right, We need we need major changes in our regulation of insurance companies and laws. What's it going to take to get these people off the dime and make them understand that we need to move forward and make the system better.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I thought of the Sandy Hook allerg but I don't know if I entirely agree that because there you have, Okay, you have a second amendment, we have second membright to arm ourselves and that is a I don't think European countries understand the second amoment, how powerful it is and what you can do. And we put a lot of laws in place to again keep guns on the hands of criminals, but also impacts most most people don't guns, are law abiding citizens. And there's also a mental health component. Use a physician know that, and you know what about people who commit domestic violence acts? And well, we have HIPPA, but we can't disclose. And when you fill out your federal firearms form, you know you may have mental health issues, but you're not going to admit it, or maybe you don't know what you think the rest of the world's crazy and you're normal and you go, yeah, I'm perfectly fine. And then they go on a mass shooting. But there's none of that in play here. You don't have that. But when you have both sides agreeing right that the healthcare system is broken needs to be fixed, there's no hey, there's an amendment that says you're not entitled to healthcare, or there's no opposition this. We all agree in the same thing, and yet we can't do anything to me. That's the most frustrating part about this.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I completely agree that they're not now necessarily and now. I guess, however, think about this that the Republicans are denying the fact right now, they're denying the fact that cutting Medicaid and Medicare in the big beautiful bill. They're denying the fact that that is going to cause a disaster in American medicine when everybody knows that it's going to hospitals.
Speaker 10: Are already teeter tottering right.
Speaker 9: I mean, the majority of hospitalsiness country are operating in the red. Seventeen percent of hospitals last year either bankrupted or came close to bankruptcy. And these are royal hospitals, creating these healthcare deserts. I mean, if the Medicaid thing goes in to effect and the hospitals can no longer rely on that revenue, it could actually be a complete catastrophe, and the Republicans need to know that, but they're they're in denial.
Speaker 2: Would that be the medical nine eleven we're talking about?
Speaker 9: I think absolutely, Scott, that could be the disaster that finally which people up. But the problem is that once it happens, yeah, getting reversing it it may take years and people are going to die.
Speaker 10: Because of it.
Speaker 2: I have a family in rural Ohio. You listening, you might have that as well, or like at least you know someone because you know, we're in a big city. We're in Cincinnati, Ohio. We have Columbus, we have Cleveland. We have mid sized cities like Dayton and Toledo and elsewhere in our listening area. But the bulk of all eighty eight counties are pretty rural in Ohio. And I've seen firsthand clinics and hospitals closed because they just don't have the people coming in and can't afford the staffing and everything, all the compliance and everything else in order to operate a modern hospital. There's just it's not profitable. And I know a lot of people cringe at the states taking over health care, but I don't know, can this be? And we tell you, yeah, I look, I go, all right, well, we know healthcare. We've seen hospitals clothes in rural areas. It's happening as we speak right now. It doesn't get to play simply because it's flyover country. People lose all their healthcare, they lose all hope. At that point, we're gonna have people eyeing of things that were easily fixable just weeks and months and years ago as opposed to to right now and at some point that it's going to come to a tipping point, because you're right, these hospitals can't run profitable. But you look, listen to this can go oad a minute. If every man, woman, a child, we're spending like thirteen thousand dollars plus on average for our healthcare system. We were it's not that we're not spending money. Where's the money going?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Well, it's going into the pockets of people like in private equity, for example, they've taken over a lot of these hospital systems and managed to bankrupt them and close them for profit. But if you recall in the book A Failure to Treat, there's a story about a baby and a parents who were trying to get their baby to a hospital in a rural early This is an affluent couple. This isn't just about this isn't just about an indigen people. This is everybody trying.
Speaker 9: To get their baby to a hospital. And when they pull up to the emergency room, the hospital had closed and they ended up having another driv another twenty five miles to get to a hospital. By the time they got there, they was beyond fixing and died and that these are true stories. This is a true story of what can happen in our healthcare system.
Speaker 10: And you're right.
Speaker 9: If that starts happening on a big, high level.
Speaker 10: Big scale, it could be.
Speaker 9: It could be the Armygeddon that you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I get the private equity element too, but they come in and go, hey, listen, you know you're not profitable, Well, we'll buy a stake, we'll buy you out, we'll take you And of course they're about squeezing the last remaining dollars out there. And that is the nature of how our enterprises, the conditions in which we engage in America today, of course, is capitalism. And that's the ugly side of it, to be sure. But you know, it used to be a government be kind of like a referee in these things, and that's long since gone away with modern politics the way it is. He is doctor Peter Cowi. He's a cardiologist, public health expert. Failure to treat as the book and where things are headed here with our broken healthcare system that both Republicans and Democrats agree on, it's broken and has to change. There's got to be a change age in company. He believes it's going to be more healthcare deserts, meaning rural hospital shutting down and people dying, uh, largely from trauma. I mean, you're telling me that people can literally bleed out because there's no physician or emergency room to treat them in a rural area. And we're talking about people who are farmers a lot of agricultural areas. And as we take the information super Highway and put it more rural areas because of the technology, well we'll see people who have met in a motor vehicle accident or you know, cut themselves of the saw that wind up dying, is what you're saying, when just a few weeks ago they could go to the clinic and get sutured up. That's kind of and it's like an almost third world It sounds like, uh.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, you know there are many areas you're write about, absolutely right about trauma. Think about obstetrical obstetrical care. How many hospitals not they might not necessarily closed, but they've closed their obstetrical programs, so women have no place to deliver their baby. And and there's many reasons for that. For the reasons we just discussed. There's there are financial issues, but there's also liability. Now doctors are not going into obstetrics. We have a severe shortage of obstetrical physicians in the United States, especially in.
Speaker 10: The West and the Midwest.
Speaker 9: And so you're a woman, you're going to deliver your baby, you have to drive fifty miles to find someplace where they'll deliver your baby for you.
Speaker 6: Think about that.
Speaker 2: You can hang on after your water breaks.
Speaker 9: Right, I mean, it's insane, but that's exactly what's happening. And the thing that's really maddening about this is that the public does occasionally take notice of this stuff, but they hadn't risen up to the extent that I thought that they might. And the book is really kind of a clarion call for people, the.
Speaker 10: Public as well as practitioners to speak up, to talk to their legislators, to make sure that they understand that this is an initiative they really have to deal with.
Speaker 2: He's doctor Peter Cowey's cardiologists public health expert. The book is a failure to treat and what things look like maybe in a not so future dystopian future for that matter, it sounds it's just dope being to me and like the stuff of movies. But this is reality. If things continue to go the way they are, the question is who wakes up and says, all right, we got to blow this thing up. You know, government subsidized healthcare costs way more money, and tell me, subsidize something. It becomes grossly more inefficient and really doesn't help those who would serve to help, because, let's face it, the insurance companies, the middle men, are the ones taking the money from the government here as the holdout continues on the other side, if we just go, well, you know what, we can't have socialized medicine. Well what's your alternative?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Nothing. Maybe the simple solution is as simply, and I've said this for a long time, the easiest thing to be doctor Cowie would be to take away the burden for providers like yourself. Imagine if you don't have to employ an entire team behind the scenes for medical billing, coding, Medicare, Medicaid and all that nonsense, and just go listen, you get sick, here's how much it costs. Pay it or get for cast drivic situations, Just get catastrophic insurance and pay that much Like you do your homeowners your auto insurance, your life insurance. Go to a system like that and get your employer the health all of the business providing healthcare. I think would solve the problem.
Speaker 9: I think what you're suggesting has tremendous merit, and there are many people who believe that you're correct. That we've created an infrastructure of health insurance companies, administrators. We have more administrators in our hospital than we have nurses. Yeah, to get rid of this gigantic infrastructure that we probably don't need and return to some kind of a more simplistic approach to payment. And I completely agree with your catastrophic insurance for those situations where things get a little out of control and you're very ill. But yeah, it's going to take people to wake up and have a little common sense about this, and hopefully the book and your radio program will get people.
Speaker 10: Motivated in the right now.
Speaker 2: All we have to do is eliminate the administrative and bureaucratic class that's a problem. It's too big in medical medical, it's too big in government, it's too big in schools. You name where the problem is, it's because we've got a bloated administrative and or credit class. That's the problem. All the best doctor luck with the book, Yeah.
Speaker 10: I appreciate it very much.
Speaker 9: Scott, have a good one.
Speaker 2: I've got to get a news update. Aroun a little bit late here, very lates on what's happening in Minnesota. More tragedy in our lives here. Seven hundred WWT Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: Jeez, the Princess of property, the Queen of closings.
Speaker 6: But touch us out deals. It's realistic time with Michelle Sloan, all hailed.
Speaker 10: The bestest Remax time agent I've ever met on seven hundred WLW. Alright, what's going on?
Speaker 6: You'd be, well, you're starting this off on a real pleasant you know.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, well, I won't be here because I have to escort you to surgery for your knee. Get your knee cleaned up.
Speaker 6: I'm getting a second knee replacement.
Speaker 7: The left one was done six exactly six weeks ago, and mister wright Side is going to be.
Speaker 6: Going to be replaced tomorrow. And I be honest, I am.
Speaker 7: I don't know if I'm more nervous about this procedure than I was the first one, because the first one I did, really I didn't know.
Speaker 6: I knew that we were going in surgery. I knew it was going to be serious, but.
Speaker 10: Not that serious.
Speaker 2: It's like legos man. They just snapping and you're out there.
Speaker 6: You're walking around in a major surgery.
Speaker 2: You don't you dismiss its to be a big deal. Now it's really not that anymore.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a big deal. It's a big deal when it's your leg.
Speaker 7: They're cutting into and taking bones out and crunching things, and then you're having weeks and weeks.
Speaker 6: Of pain in your recovery.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, again, pretty blessed because these things are fixable. There's plenty of people who are sick and it's not fixable. So I will take this, you know, you know, kids will lie of the people are here, break my chops about this stuff? Are you getting old?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: You gotta go and you have surgery done. It's like it's you know, it's like having a car. You hit one hundred thousand dollars. You got to get new spark plugs, timing chain, diming belts, gotta get done. You gotta let's swap out the transmission fluid and it's one hundred thousand miles.
Speaker 9: It's like that.
Speaker 3: That's what this is.
Speaker 7: No, I do feel very blessed because the left knee has recovered to a point where for the most part it should be able to support me as I recover on the right knee.
Speaker 6: But you know, it's it's not without its concerns, and yeah.
Speaker 2: The rehab is a hard part. It's like an and I will say you are committed, because normally you give up on stuff, but this you've been like, well, no, I can't really tenacious about this whole things. Absolutely, All right, let's talk real estate related stuff, tiny, tim, what do you got?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 7: Well, President Trump gave us some big news, big news in the world of real estate yesterday. He announced that some of the most aggressive housing reform in American history is on the way. He wants to prohibit large institutional investors from buying single family homes, saying that you know, homes should be owned by people and not corporations. I think that's real, really interesting, and I personally find it quite fascinating. Now, the one thing is we don't have any details. It's just him talking on yeah right when.
Speaker 9: He was on.
Speaker 7: It doesn't mean anything yet, but I do think it has. It definitely has some momentum because the stock market definitely reacted yesterday. A lot of the Democrats have said, hey, we've been telling you that we need to do this for many years, so it may have some bipartisan support, which would be very very interesting. So the one thing is this is this is a quote I am immediately taking steps to ban large institutional investors from buying more single family homes.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, I feel it sounds like, yeah, I feel.
Speaker 7: Like the damage is done and the homes that these companies are holding, they're going to continue to hold, right, And so it's interesting the mega investors, so it doesn't look like they're going after he would be going after the mom and pop investors, the people that have like fifty properties or less. They're looking for the big, the big guns. So interestingly enough, there's only thirty two institutional investors that own more than a thousand single family properties. I find that's interesting. And you know how many properties they own?
Speaker 2: Eleventy billion?
Speaker 6: No, only about five hundred thousand across the country.
Speaker 2: Really a lot.
Speaker 6: That's like a drop in the bucket. No, yeah, that's not very many.
Speaker 7: So it may not be the impact that all of the headlines are saying, because you know, Devil's in the details.
Speaker 6: It always is.
Speaker 7: And it's really interesting because one in three in the last year, so in twenty twenty five, one in three homes were purchased by investors. But it doesn't mean that these mega investors are the ones that are buying these properties.
Speaker 6: It's the people who are.
Speaker 7: Doing the buy and flip, the people that are going to hold them and build a small portfolio so that they can help pay for their generational wealth. But it doesn't necessarily mean it's these big guys. So you're going after the big guys and the results interestingly on the stock market. So open Door is a company that does business in Cincinnati. They buy and sell properties. They're trading down eleven and a half percent yesterday. The stocks from some of the other big names, Blackstone, Invitation Homes and American Homes for Rent. Now, American Homes for Rent has a very big presence in the Cincinnati market, especially in Mainville.
Speaker 6: There's a couple of.
Speaker 7: Neighborhoods that have Back in the two thousand and eight two thousand and nine we had the crash and we had so many people going into foreclosure. American Homes for Rent bought a ton I mean hundreds and hundreds of properties in our area, and they are continuing to hold them and rent them for pretty high prices. And so the stocks for American homes for rent was down about seven percent yesterday. Now it may bounce back, you know, day to day, everything changes. But I find it's really I think it's very very fascinating because we always have to find a bad guy, and you look for the biggest, biggest guys or gals I suppose in the room, and you look at the corporations to blame for all of the drama and the misdeeds of whoever.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 6: So I think it is very interesting. I think that it is something that we're going to watch.
Speaker 7: You know, if it slows down the institutional investors from buying more single family homes, will it affect us day to day?
Speaker 6: Probably not? Probably not.
Speaker 2: I think what's interesting about a couple of things. First of all, the idea of these companies come in Blackstone whatever, and it's largely it's private equity, right, private equity. They don't want generally don't want to own things long term. They want to get their money maker money, turn it, chop it up, whatever they do, you know, become vultures essentially, and that's but that's the nature. That's part of capitalism. They'll come and pick the bones and what's salvageable.
Speaker 9: Is it?
Speaker 2: Kind of like big boy, big Boy on Okay, well, what are we gonna keep? The tartar sauce is good? Right, we're gonna We're gonna continue to do that. Will sell the pumpkin pies and everything else that's a burger. I can get that anywhere. So they take what's profitable and then turn it around. If they own this stuff right now, I would think at some point they're going to wind up exiting and getting out of this business, wouldn't they if they can't turn a high profit every quarter.
Speaker 7: Yeah, especially since these corporations are stock driven. Yeah, you know, holding these properties long term, it could and it may put five hundred thousand properties.
Speaker 6: Now this is nationwide. That's nothing. Yeah, it's not very much.
Speaker 7: So if it affects the bottom line, it maybe cheaper for them to diversify and go ahead and sell off and find a new way, you know, go into more of the commercial market rather than the and they may already be in that.
Speaker 6: That's just not my expertise.
Speaker 7: I'm in the single family realm for the most part, so you know, that's it's it's very very interesting. But still one in three homes bought in twenty twenty five were purchased by investors. And again it doesn't have to be these large institutional ones. And I just I just find that it's we're always looking for a scapegoat. We're always looking for someone to blame. And you know, the big thing that we need is more inventory, and we've been saying we need more inventory. The other thing that a lot of the prognosticators who are looking at twenty twenty six, they're saying the interest rates still need to come down a little bit to make the market a little bit more balanced. And we have homes that are on the market. There are huge opportunities out there for people who want to buy a home. I think a lot of younger people don't really want to buy a home right now, and.
Speaker 2: They want to rent, which opens the opportunity.
Speaker 7: For they don't want the Yeah, a lot of the younger people and I'm going to say younger people that is thirty and younger, don't want to buy because they don't want to a be tied down they don't want to have to fix stuff. They don't know how to fix stuff, they don't want to learn how to fix stuff.
Speaker 6: They want somebody else to do it.
Speaker 7: And you and you and I both know we have fewer people that are around to fix stuff. So we have an imbalance in the entire like real estate circle.
Speaker 6: But you know, I don't know it.
Speaker 7: It's an interesting topic of will the you know, saying large institutional investors, so.
Speaker 2: They just get well, I think something else to look at is, let's let's face it. They came on following the two thousand and eight home foreclosure, right the the housing crisis that we had, and they came in and they swooped in and cheap because you buy cheap, sell high, that's how you make money. They bought them. When things properties are in distressed, they fix them up. They rented them out and increase that portfolio. Okay, so we now ban that from happening. What happens if we have another housing crash at some point in the future, and then who's going to come.
Speaker 10: In and do that?
Speaker 7: And I would rather have and we've talked about this before, rather than having a whole bunch of vacant homes. I would rather have an investor come in by it and have a family living in that home, because if you have a vacant home for long periods of time, it just gets worse and worse and worse. It brings down the entire neighborhood, the entire community. So I would say some institutional and some investors actually saved the day back in two thousand and eight and two thousand and nine when our economy was really having a difficult time and the whole real estate interest industry was having you know, it was crashed, It had totally crashed, but it was because we had too much inventory. The balance was way off. Right now, our balance we are in the process of rebalancing the market. And by rebalancing the market is you know, we need a little bit more inventory guests. We need more buyers out there who are approved and able to purchase, and.
Speaker 6: They have to want to purchase.
Speaker 7: You know, if the demand is for rentals, guess what that's there are people out there who will provide that service. They will provide an opportunity for you to rent. Now, it's going to be a high price, and there are so many people that are they are renting at twenty five hundred dollars a month, three thousand dollars a month, and you think that is absolutely crazy because you can get a mortgage for that amount, and but you know you have to pick and choose. How's your credit were.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're obviously in a renders market that's not going to change anything. It time assume people who want to rent rather than buy, and there's a whole bunch of factors into that. But you know, the other thing I look at too is, you know, we talked about these big corporations, the genius in the details like anything. What is that definition? What what's an institutional builer? Is that a publicly Is that only applied to a publicly traded company? What if I don't know, you're a local person and you own I don't know, a couple hundred homes that you're and there's there's people in Cincinnata they're doing that. You know, we're not into that that rare air ourselves. We got as many as we can handle on our own because we're in the real estate business. But I look at it going, Okay, well, what does that mean for the mom and pop people like us that have put sweat equity and all our savings into real estate properties and continue to parlay that into more properties to a certain point. What does that mean for someone like us or you know, the little guy I just you know instante here. Oh yeah, it's just the big guys a big well. Where do you draw that line?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 6: Is it the number of properties?
Speaker 7: So if you own a thousand, we don't know, more so then they're going to own nine hundred nights.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's gonna apply to you, but then then again, you never know. And I'll leave with the final point on this thing too. Here's a parallel for you. When it comes to careful what you wish for, you might just get it all right, No, institutional investors, we have another market to you know, housing market tanks in the future. At some point, what do you do then, Who's going to come in and buy stuff at distressed prices and turn it around and reset the market. It's kind of like we see this ourselves because we own a couple town homes that are involved with hoa's and it's kind of interest because the hoa's generally made up of older residents and they don't like renters for whatever reason. And I could see, you know, some some sort of distrust there because they're transient, but they don't want to so they'll they'll ban you from renting properties in the future. The grands father, then they'll do everything to try and drive you out of the neighborhood. If your own properties at rent, okay, great, we're only going to what happens when you have a recession. And okay, so instead of someone coming in and renting it and taking care of the property, now you have all these vacant properties next to you, your neighbors who are quote unquote owners, not renters, and they can no longer pay their mortgage and they default. That's going to drive your property values down even more than the renters. Would you need that in those And I think it's very short sighted of a lot of people to go, we want no renters in Urha. Well, guess what when the market tanks, you're gonna wish you had renters.
Speaker 7: Well, and that has that has changed so much in the last fifteen years since the stock market crash. So many condos and it's really mostly the condos with the condo the really strong monthly condo associations where they're banning renters because they just don't know who their neighbors are necessarily, so it's some of the old.
Speaker 2: Nobody does anymore look in the neighborhood. Now you don't know your neighbors are.
Speaker 6: What's the different, right right?
Speaker 7: But now I mean as condos and as properties age, the HOA fees have gone up so dramatically over the years because the cost of keeping these places updated. So it is not uncommon to have an HOA of three hundred and fifty dollars a month, plus you.
Speaker 6: Have to pay the mortgage.
Speaker 7: Again, we're going to get to that point where one may start to struggle quite a bit because there are there are nice ways. There are not nice reasons to own a condo because you don't have as much of the maintenance that you have to take care of yourself on the exterior and that sort of thing. But at the same time, can you avoid the mortgage plus an additional three hundred and fifty dollars a month for HOA, plus the taxes, plus the this and the plus the that. So you may find more condos being vacant for longer periods of time, and if there again, I feel the worst property is one that is not lived in, and I would rather one hundred thousand percent have somebody who's living in it, whether they're renting it or owning it, than having a vacant home next to me, because honestly, it's just a call for trouble.
Speaker 2: Right all right, So President Trump saying he wants to ban Wall Street investments, institutional investors, and single family homes. Will see how this plays out. My wife Michelle Slan has more in this at Sloan Sales homes dot com and her blog it via YouTube, and of course or's the iHeartRadio podcast on iHeartRadio app you can download as well. All right, Love you gotta go, gotta go get ready for your surgery tomorrow. Yes sir, I don't know what that entails, but good luck to you. I'll be home a little bit, okay, Right there you go, Love you gotta go. Got Willy on the way coming up next right afterday news update, the very latest in Minnesota. Of course, it's a big story today. The everything you need to know happens in about four minutes here on seven hundred W dobty.
Speaker 10: Since that