Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on a M five to seventy LA Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio while it's.
Speaker 2: The longest running afternoon sports show in the city. No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros papada Gus terrible person, He's the worst and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 3: The pipes, the pipes, the pipe.
Speaker 2: Don't miss an episode. We're with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, follow the petros in Money Show.
Speaker 1: Wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papadacus and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 2: I don't crack. He's the under pressure puss.
Speaker 4: Puss Puss, unbelievable, unbreakable, every damn night.
Speaker 5: Your husband keeps lousy company.
Speaker 2: Missus Sampson as bad as there is in la and that's as bad as there is. Taco Bill gonna make money over that? That's a terrible idea. Am I gonna like someone? Someone gonna like me? Bob?
Speaker 3: Are we ready?
Speaker 1: It's blowny?
Speaker 5: Where's Mike Bourbons?
Speaker 2: That's that's not cool.
Speaker 3: Beneath the Stars is a universe of gliding monsters.
Speaker 2: Going Stetro sand Monday A five seventy a sports. We are live everywhere on the iHeart Radio app. We do have a big show on Friday, four to five pm Inside the Locker Room World Series Game seven hero Miguel Rojas will join us. You could be part of that audience if you are the correct caller, we'll give those tickets away, those passes away to our production of Inside the Locker Room this Friday. Between now and the end.
Speaker 3: Of the show. Oh, it's gonna be a production.
Speaker 2: Indeed, it will be. It'll be a production of iHeartRadio Dodger super Fan staffers.
Speaker 3: They got a druggler, a juggler, that's right, juggles.
Speaker 2: Drugs, swords swallower who swallows flash swords. I believe you and I are going to be the sword swallowing that's right, and a small group of listeners of our show will be admitted. We'll give away a pair every day, including tomorrow. I believe we will be playing the role of the sort that's us and we'd love you to be there with us. So keep listening for your opportunity to win those tickets. We will give them away before the end of the show as we are your home of the two time World Series champion, back to back Los Angeles Dodgers. Don't forget Saturday. David Vassel be along at ten a m. To host Dodger Fest. Always a great time with Dave on the microphone. He gets every interview, front office, manager, player, you name it. They come to days.
Speaker 3: Splitting it up with Joe and Nelson or are they doing like it's happened? There's been all kinds of different Yeah, what do you call them? Agendas or over the years of who's the MC? I think Joe Davis and Steven Nelson have kind of since the Dodgers have been winning the World Series, have been showing up like I'm ready to work. You know.
Speaker 2: That's right, Kate. And Dave does his own thing now. He used to do the stage stuff with Kevin Kennedy back in the day, but not anymore now.
Speaker 3: TV Guy, the TV guys drop kicked him out of it exactly.
Speaker 2: Jimmy superflic S, Nucas Style just kicked him out of ring. Now.
Speaker 3: That's right. You know, Dave gets everybody, and it's a lot. It's a great list. Better for us, it's probably better for Yeah, it's better for us because they're to the side and it's not in front of thousands, and it's a more intimate interview with our listeners. But still he did get drop kicked out of the ring and over.
Speaker 2: The ropes, indeed, And that's, as you said, selfish, ego driven agenda. Nobody wanted to come to Dodger Fest when it was in the cooking hot midday Echo Park sun after the Dodgers were swept by the Arizona Diamondbacks, or after losing three in a row to the San Diego Padres, or even dropping a World Series against the Boston Red Side. David Vasse had to shoulder that load. He had to get yelled at by Tommy lesorda.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get his shoulder to the wheel and push and make it work and go up there and do yeah, yay with Matt Kemp. And it wasn't easy, you know.
Speaker 2: Because everyone's in a bad mood. You can't get everybody to show up. There were high expected World Series Championship expectations, you know, like.
Speaker 3: I'm sure somebody out in Laverne was like, you know, that drunk there with his head on the table.
Speaker 2: That guy used to do something. That guy used to host Dodger ft. He used to do it, you know, but now it was Sho hail Tani and Yamamoto oh Tani and a sold out affair of some twenty to thirty thousand people instead of you know, seventy five hundred weirdos. They all want to be part of it. Now.
Speaker 3: Are they gonna relinquish their role anytime soon?
Speaker 2: Probably not, It's probably not. But understand for you, it's better for you to drive around and just listen to it or throw it up on your smartphone on the iHeartRadio app. Because Dave's the guy that gets the real talk. Man, they get the fake talk. Dave gets the real talk. Yeah, they're not even talking. It's like a ventriloquis. That's exactly it's all AI.
Speaker 3: It's time for the Final Hour Fun Fact.
Speaker 6: It's fun effect.
Speaker 2: It's yeah with three fun fun fact.
Speaker 3: The Final Hour Fun Fact is brought to you by the Masters in Coaching Program at Concordia University, Irvine, also administration. You think you're gonna learn as much as you would just out in the world without going to the Master's in Coaching program An administration at Concordia University, IRVINUS probably not. You figure're gonna learn that much. You're not gonna learn anything. No, you're gonna go to CUI dot edu slash.
Speaker 2: D edu dot org. It's a fact. For five thousand coaches and administrators have graduated from their master's program and athletics administration find out more at c UO did it already coaching? You did? Probably not? The final lot of fun fact. Buh. There is such thing as a butt load. It is a real measurement. It is a measurement. I've heard this one of beer. Now, if only I could get butt ton to be a real measurement. But a butt of beer is equal to half a ton one hundred and eight imperial gallons, also referred to as two hogs heads. It is exactly four hundred and ninety point nine eight leaders.
Speaker 3: So, uh, lario gallon has it's a gallon, but it has the face of the Emperor.
Speaker 2: That's the start. That's right, and it gives you a shock right to your boss. Yeah. So when you say let the hate flow through you. Yes, So when you say yeah, there's a buttload, that's a lot. That's four hundred and ninety literers. So there you go.
Speaker 3: Yes, not to be confused with an ass barge, which is a different metric. It is time for quick hits.
Speaker 2: Looks quick hits.
Speaker 6: I make it quick, y'all.
Speaker 3: Chargers introduced Mike McDaniel today is the new OC. You'll hear from him and the next segment fascinating guy who is well dressed and the Buffalo Bills and a PMS listener, Yeah he loves We found out the Buffalo Bills promoted OC Joe Brady to head coach. He replaces Sean McDermott, who was fired last week. That leaves only three head coach openings left in the NFL, the Raiders, the Cardinals, and the one nobody wants, the Browns.
Speaker 2: This is what is referred to, as you like to say p in the leagues as the Balatti Kelly Corolary. With a lack of play calling offensive head coach candidates.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The Bills likely knew that offensive coordinator Joe Brady was going to get a head coaching job somewhere. And as much as they love Sean McDermott, the Bills offense has taken off and so has.
Speaker 3: Made they made They made McDermott the a D like they did for Ballotti.
Speaker 2: Did they That's what they that's what they wanted to do, A D of the bottle. They wanted to make him the a D and they offered him that job. But then Sean McDermott said, there is no ad in the oh, and they said, ah, well you're fired. We aren't going to let another team take Joe Brady away from us, and he's gonna go be a head coach. So we're just gonna make him the head coach. But go through this whole charade of interviewing a bunch of different people mass pretend like paper faces.
Speaker 3: Right, the Lakers are twenty eight and seventeen. They're currently the five seed in the West. They're only a half game back of the Rockets with the four seed, but if they played each other, the Rockets would simply jump over the very old Lakers and only two and a half games back of house Nuggets for the third spot in the West. Laker Talk will continue tomorrow with James Worthy on the show at.
Speaker 2: Three point thirty. In order to not be too positive, there is a clip and I'm sure you saw it from like Alex Bones or whoever it is that your favorite Laker antagonists, But there is a Apex Joanes Apex Jones. There we go, not Alex Ben hero in the day and mj the golt. I mean there's a lot. There is a clip of Lebron in the huddle complaining that you.
Speaker 3: Don't think I saw that right after it happened, Matt, give me the ball, and then what happened? Ball?
Speaker 2: But they did win the game, yeah.
Speaker 3: Because of Luca.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: The Clippers are twenty one and twenty four. They're breathing on the ass and the rest of the NBA. The hottest team of the NBA with their hot ass brat. They are fifteen and three in the last eighteen games. They're in Utah to night to face the Jazz, and the Jazz are a heroin riddled saxophone player.
Speaker 2: They can't even stand up. The brother is so hot you think they just dusted a bull of Kim cheek.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 3: A special, a special one from down in Korea town where they have real hookers.
Speaker 2: Real hooker so hot. It's Gary Pinkel hot.
Speaker 3: The NBC and a You don't know.
Speaker 2: I do know because I've heard you tell the story. I'm telling you if you have no idea, you don't.
Speaker 3: It's like being on the World War One field. Evyway in the ambulance.
Speaker 2: I'm on camera. I can't react. He cheeps tall. You know, I just wanted to go into the locker room.
Speaker 3: NBC announced Caitlin Clark will be part of the network's upcoming Basketball Night in America pregame show ahead of the debut of Sunday Night Basketball on February first, which will showcase the Lakers road trip to Madison Square Garden to take on the Knicks. Caitlin is just gonna sit there, I guess, and look like Beaker. She's gonna be like one of ten people, I guess. I mean if she gonna shoot them some threes, I don't.
Speaker 2: I think NBC, if I may offer up some advice.
Speaker 3: They're just throwing spaghetti at the wall here.
Speaker 2: People aren't going to tune in to see Kaitlin talk. They want to see her play. They want to see her shoot. That's what they want to do. No, I like to see her create, yeah, Kate or create brothers. Very good at that, but yeah. Sitting at the table with mellow who is not held to the same dress code standards as the rest of the people at the table, which is very odd and off putting. It's probably not going to race the ratings at all.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tim, let's hope this goes better than the whole Michael Jordan experiment.
Speaker 2: One interviewed eighty bucks? What interview? I'll give you one. Can we get two? Maybe? But do you like this load management?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I don't. No, I do not. I'm glad people tuned in for that. Just put Caitton Clark at the desk. What do you think she has to offer?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Is she gonna be in her basketball uniform dribbling around and playing me meet? She's gonna be sitting here with her sharp features. Bird like.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool Cammel back rants Matt from Birds to Camels. February thirteenth, that's when the pitchers and the catchers report. First spring training game here on mPire seventy is Saturday, February twenty first. And in college football, the Duke Blue Dever Devils. Have we reached the settlement agreement with quarterback Darien Mensa that let him out of his contractual obligation to the university. He's free. He's free to go to Miami, where he's so smart he's going to take on the Carson Beck starting quarterback role. Carson Beck eight years Mensa's senior.
Speaker 2: But not a member of Mensa Mensa.
Speaker 3: However, he's always brilliant, just like John Vass, Dave's brother.
Speaker 2: He's a Mensa me. Yes, I'm sure he is. He is.
Speaker 3: Miami will host Duke next season on November fifteenth. And Diego Pabia is just as small as little tiny Kyler Murray in his little.
Speaker 2: Car, if not smaller he is. At the Senior Bowl. You have to get your measurements without shoes, as are all players. A couple inches were added or an inch was added to your height in the guide. His Vanderbilt bio listed him at six foot measured out at five to nine in a quarter. Oh no, so three inches shorter? Oh my god. Yeah, that's an inch shorter than Russell Wilson. That is, I believe a quarter of an inch shorter than Kyler Murray. I think in the half. Come on it with the afro. Yeah, well you know what, there you go, Pavia comb that hair a little bithigher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, jel it up, jel it up?
Speaker 2: Really, come on? So uh? And Matt Rutgers is broke sadly.
Speaker 3: Uh soutiscataway.
Speaker 2: The Athletic Department of Rutgers had a record deficit of seventy eight million dollars last year. They have had more than a half a billion dollar deficit five hundred and sixteen point nine millions since it joined the Big Ten, which is odd since they get a pretty good chunk of change from their TV deal. Rutgers record mat Kelly's in it's the taxes. Jersey taxes are terrible, uh says the worst is not over that the fiscal year, and plus you know it's the unseen taxes. You know, you got a guy that comes by and athletic department. You don't want this place to pay.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna take your drafts. If you don't give a four billion.
Speaker 2: Dollars, you're gonna have to give us. I saw that You're gonna break.
Speaker 3: The dumb guy's legs.
Speaker 2: Uh. Kelly's in there ad says that they have got to reduce athletics spending. Is that right? Is that what you need to do?
Speaker 3: If you if you don't pay.
Speaker 2: You could say bye to that crew team.
Speaker 3: We're gonna make Siano even uglier than he is.
Speaker 2: That skiff is gonna sack in the Hudson Mark my words, ten million or a skiff goes.
Speaker 3: Down, it's me big sound, I'm I'm going to collect from athletic department.
Speaker 2: Nobody's got to deal with. We have to deal with.
Speaker 3: We'll be back with for Petrosen Money. Mike McDaniel live from the Bolt Neck.
Speaker 2: This is Petrosen.
Speaker 4: Money on demand, Demand demand.
Speaker 2: Petro saying money and five seventy Ela Sports live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Remember not only your home with the back to back World Series champion Dodgers, but your home of Super Bowl sixty. You will hear it right here. And speaking a football pe.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, these are more well healed settings than we're used to for our interviews, but we'll take it. We do have the brand new offensive coordinator for your Los Angeles Chargers to be at the bolt with the voice of the Bolts and the new Bolts OC Mike McDaniel, fresh from Miami and looking quite clean, joining us on your Southern California Toyota Dealers celebrity hotline after his Briz Big press conference and a little bit of a media whirlwind and then headed back on vacation. Right when this is over, coach. Welcome and thank you so much for doing it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm very intimidated. You guys's voices are phenomenal and like this. No he does not nice reference, he's good.
Speaker 3: How has your day been? What's it been like? Give us a little idea of what what the process has been like. Uh, kind of resetting and looking at your options and ending up here.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, uh, you know, part of the whole process.
Speaker 5: It's a whirlwind for sure, and you don't anticipate having all these options and then you have some options you're afforded to bye bye uh just whether it's good merit or whatever. But it forces you to find some conviction and you don't really know your your compass as to uh, you know, if you are in a position where you can you have a couple of teams to that that are that are interested in you, that it really that's your focus on what's important to you. And you know, I think I found really everything that's vastly important to me here with the Chargers. I think it's something that you know, I feel very fortunate to be a part of, but very hungry to deliver on you know the results that are still out there on the table. You know, I think there's a lot of players here that that have the ability to be great. In My job here is to is to make those players, uh, take them from good to great and from great to historic and all the things in between. So I'm I'm fired up, but I'm very convicted and in being here and being a part of this team and what we have in store for us moving forward.
Speaker 2: Nice, someone who's kind of been in football as long as you have, kind of take us through sort of your perceptions of Coach Harbaugh getting in a room with him as you decided to to be part of this and and what it is that that maybe the two of you have going that made just feel like the right fit.
Speaker 5: Well, I think first and foremost he understood that you know this this is really put The most important thing was that we we had some sort of marriage that was consensual that he didn't try to sell, He didn't try to sell me on something he wasn't. He was his authentic self and that really speaks to me. You know, I think some of the core values of football from a starting point we share, particularly from line of scrimmage play and how to win football games and take control down the stretch of the season. You know, I've admired the things that he's done throughout his career. The first time I played against him one of the best teams I've ever played against. I was in Washington at the time in twenty eleven, played against his Niners team that destroyed us and we had no chance. And then watching him, you know, I actually one one of the first examples of a coach being being able to make a supreme difference in a program. He gave to me, you know, at the University of San Diego.
Speaker 2: You know, I played at Yale.
Speaker 5: And we drubbed the University of San Diego the year before he got there. And then this first year with Josh Johnson. You know, I'm gonna get the numbers wrong, but it was like something like forty five to zero in favor of Yale. And he gets there the next year and drubbed us like fifty five to eight, and I was like, wow, you know, that's what I want in my career, is to be able to be a coach on the sidelines and possibly impact a program to the degree that they are. You know, without him, they were getting drubbed by Yale and they were doing the drubbing on Yale, So I always kept him in my scope and then you know, getting feet on the ground here, his appreciation that was true. You know, he'd been he'd been very genuine, uh, you know in conversations with me, you know, along my process as a head coach, whether it's owners meetings or you know, on on the visit in particular. But you know, I could just tell that, you know, he's a He's a guy that there's there are few and far between of you know, I'm a I try to model myself as an authentic version of who I am, and I don't you know, I'm pretty rigid in that. And Jim Harbaugh to me, uh ironically, from my perspective, I see him as a visionary of who I try to be, which is a man unique to his own that cares about developing players and cares about winning and spends his time thinking about how he can connect people to have the best example of football on the field. So I thought it was a very natural fit from the onset, and the more that I've talked to him has just given me the same reasons of conviction why I'm so happy to be here today.
Speaker 3: Petros and Muddy Show. Mike McDaniel is our guest on M five seventy LA Sports, your home of Chargers Information and the Dodgers. When they talk about I mean, you're a well respected offensive man in the highest level of football and you have earned that over and over again in your career. When people say this is a modern offensive coordinator, you know, what does that mean to you? Because you've always been pretty balanced guy. People think that modern offense means throwing the ball every down.
Speaker 5: I guess in some way, well, you know, I think it's it's trying to, you know, continually reinvent what the football the subtle details are to how you're doing offense that gives whatever manifestation of defense that's out there gives them problems while staying true to the fundamentals and techniques. You know that that's that's the calling card of you know, really, what what I see offenses is there's an illusion of complexity to a degree and how to patternize all the different things that you can. Uh try to get your group of players to operate with supreme conviction, uh, since they know the the play and the defense doesn't. And trying to get guys to work in unison to attack how defenses are, problem solving defense at this this particular time and in football. So you know, I think I've always been I was so fortunate to be placed in the National Football League with who I was placed with, getting a job early with the Shanahans. We we led the league in motions for probably the better half of a decade and a half, you know, all the way back to Houston, and reduce splits and you know, just really doing things that you invent off of necessity or ways to keep a competitive advantage, not you know, for invention's sake. So attacking the ways defenses are. You know, it's changed in the last handful of years, and to stay ahead of it, you have to continue to change as well. That's something I've never hesitated to do. But the it's the ebbs and flows of the National Football League, and every year the game changes to a degree. A little bit two years ago we were talking about how the scoring was up across the league and defensive coaches didn't know what they're doing, and now they know what they're doing again. You know, it's kind of I think to to be and I would say you have to be willing to evolve within season and between seasons, which is something that we will very much do.
Speaker 2: With all you mentioned Houston and so think about you with Kyle and Matt shab and then Washington. You think about RG three and that historic twenty twelve season. So all the different places you've been, all the different quarterbacks you've been with, how much changes in like what you do based on that position? The guy that touches all every snap.
Speaker 5: It is the number one motivator to uh, you know, to schematic, really focus and where you know, you're you're trying to figure out which, you know, what things to feature within that person's game. It's one of the reasons it's so excited to be here is I don't see a limit to the things that you know, our quarterback is able to do. And so you you you'd you'd really just try to create something where you can utilize all those skill sets without you know, necessitating him to be at his most elite level of play at all times for us to do well, you know, to me, I think I feel so fortunate that we were kind of bouncing around the National Football League. This will be my eighth different team within all of those stops. You've had different problems to solve from the from the quarterback position, and I think that makes me a much better coach as I sit here today than if I were, you know, just in one system and say with like Tom Brady and just had Tom Brady doing it the whole time.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: So I think that the you bring up the Washington days and that was such an impactful point in all of our careers. You know, I was the receiver coach, Sean McVeigh was the tight ends coach, Kyle was the O C, and Matt Lafluor was the.
Speaker 2: Quarterback coach like Miami Ohio. And within that.
Speaker 5: We we jumped into a zone read which none of us on staff had ever had experience with, and typically people kind of like get cliniced.
Speaker 2: We didn't.
Speaker 5: We had to problem solve from uh you know, uh led led by Kyle and uh his uh brashness and foresight, and we lived in the pistol which people hadn't done. And uh, you know, I think that was a very formative time for all of our careers where you stopped looking at the execution of you know, I don't look at taking a system and putting players in the same situations that other players were in. I look at more of how to take advantage of certain types of skill sets, and then the collective kind of brings you into a new trajectory of what, you know, what your offense looks like. So to me, it's it. I'm very I would have it no other way. During it, you you don't like to move all the time, and you're you know, you don't feel like you have a solid ground within the National Football League as a coach. It makes it difficult, but it's also forces you to be your best self and continue to evolve, which I plan on taking advantage of this year in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Well, this is fascinating and you've been so generous with your answers. Usually people are a little bit less detailed when it comes to football.
Speaker 2: I will talk my face out. It's a while.
Speaker 3: We love it. I love it. But usually you know, this is complex for us because when a guy usually comes to LA a coach or you know, it's more fun with the young players. We warn them, you know, about going Hollywood. But you're a man of great contradiction, you know, I mean, I mean you're dressed like you're going to the club. But you get up at four in the morning, yep, and you have all of these. I mean, how do you see yourself in the city of Los Angeles. I mean there's gonna be a lot of shopping.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, I better be good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna be here.
Speaker 2: I better be good. I better be good to afford it. No, I think.
Speaker 5: I like what the world has to offer. There's so many different Uh. You know, I had never been on a plane until I was thirteen years old. I was born and raised in a landlocked, landlocked state of Colorado, And you know, I think there's different things to take from all sorts of people in different environments. You know, I've vacationed and spent probably the most time in the country since outside of the places that I've worked has been in southern California. So you know, every summer I was down in the Laguna Beach for probably got married in Laguna Beach, and and better half probably the last decade, I've spent almost every summer, so I'm very familiar with the area, a place I've always dreamed of coaching. I think, uh, you're very fortunate if you're able to call this place home. And coach professional athletics. So I plan on taking full advantage of of what this city has to offer and create the the best, newest improved Mike McDaniel that the world has seen.
Speaker 2: What does that look like?
Speaker 5: I don't even know, so how would you?
Speaker 3: I don't, I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We'll see. I'm looking forward to who knows the artistic community of Beach through the art of football. Well, we appreciate it, coach. Good luck.
Speaker 5: Your grandma's very sweet, by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, coach, We appreciate good luck. That's great.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and we'll be right back with mar Petra said money the Dead and Alive guy, Birthday of the Day, and then off to the.
Speaker 4: Clippers Southern California's most listened to sports talk show on demand.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening, everybody, Clippers Jazz pregame show with fully functional employee Adam coming up next to him. We can't make fun of them now. They are hotter than a pistol and we can't say a word. A big thank you to Josh and everybody over at the Chargers in Tolpe. Chris Harry, was a nice day talking to Mike McDaniel, A fascinating football character and now the new offensive coordinator of your Los Angeles Chargers.
Speaker 2: And we will be back.
Speaker 3: On tomorrow with a full show that starts at three o'clock. And we do have an event on Friday, Matt, should we do it? You strung them out all day, brother.
Speaker 2: I didn't mean to. I didn't mean to. We got excited. It was a fun day to be out in the field. My apologies. Tomorrow will do something for the early people, but let's do it right now. Final segment eight six sixth nine eighty seven two five seventy. You'll be in the locker room with us and Miguel Rojas, the hero, one of the many heroes of Game seven, uh and what led to the Dodgers back to back World Series championship in Toronto. Of course, that massive home run in the top of the ninth inning that sent it into extras. Miguel Rojas will be with us, and if your caller ten eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy, you'll be there as well. We'll have another pair of tickets to give away tomorrow and Thursday as well. What do you got I got hit me Kates, give me that good Thompson twins. This is a double up because not only it's our dead guy birthday of the day, celebrating his four hundred and fifth named Thomas, but he is one of the pioneering English physicians and an anatomus who laid the foundation for something we talk about regularly here, modern science. Unbelievable coincidence right born in Wiltshire, England. Kind of an era of scientific exploration, intellectual change. You're shifting from the spiritual to the scientific, and he is at the forefront. Detailed studies of the brain, of the nervous system identified the arterial structure that is now named after him, the Circle of Willis. Got a strong education despite being raised in a modest family. Went to christ Church Oxford study classical subjects, but fell in love with medicine and it was disrupted by the English Civil War. He supported the Royalist cause, served as a physician when the war ended, heads back to Oxford, gets his medical degree in sixteen forty six. Because he was a Royalist. His loyalty to the monarchy. That helps you out, you know, you know, the recognition when King Charles the second I.
Speaker 3: Mean yeah, I'm down with the carrying and the king wins of war.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then the King's like, hey.
Speaker 3: I mean, you don't want to make a bad decision like Hartman and put your caboose on Pat O'Brien's train.
Speaker 2: And next thing, you know, Dad Martin, Hey, Steve, you can go after yourself and turn around and get the hell out of here. Willis became part of an important group of scientists that would later form the Royal Society, the world's oldest scientific organization. One of them he was with Robert Hook, who studied astronomy.
Speaker 3: Christopher wrenn I know doctor Hook, Matt Okay, he's on the cover of the Rolling Stone.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, it was Wren who illustrated Willis's anatomical studies. The collaborative environment of the Royal Society encouraged careful observation, experimentation. All of that strongly influenced Willis's approach to medicine. His most significant contribution, though, came from his studies of the brain. Sixteen sixty four published is Anatomy of the Brain in Latin, of course, a groundbreaking book that explained the nervous system, how the brain worked, that it wasn't a spiritual organ or symbolic, pointed out that different parts of the brain had specific physical roles as it related to thought and memory and movement and sensation. It was a revolutionary idea at the time and really kind of pushed medicine into a more scientific understanding of the human body. It was his description of that circular arrangement of arteries at the base of the brain that they named after him that pointed to the crucial role they played maintaining blood flow. It is still studied in the medical schools today. He also pointed out neurological about sort they do epilepsy, paralysis, mental illness, all pointing out that these were conditions that had to do with physical issues in the brain as opposed to supernatural forces. Studied a bunch of other diseases. He is one of the first to note and study and point out diabetes from other illnesses. They set new standards for medical practice as it pertains to diabetes. He was only fifty four when he passed, but of course a profound influence in the world of medicine. Happy four hundred and fifth to Thomas Willis. And how about that backing track, huh, I can't get enough of it?
Speaker 3: All right, Matt, we will stay across the pond with British News because this is something I think that's gonna affect all of us, something that we can all get behind. Somebody you may not know, but their name or some form of it is going to stir memories.
Speaker 2: It's time for PMS, British News, United Kingdom, English News. It's time for British News. Cheerio straight gets out.
Speaker 3: Jack Stephens thirty one years old today the Jack Stephens of Great Britain.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's too bid. Not the great plumber of Southern California. Jack step.
Speaker 3: This is a football player soccer.
Speaker 1: He is.
Speaker 3: Not even an EPL player.
Speaker 6: Matt Stephen, Jack stefan.
Speaker 2: Jack feel like we're doing this for a particular reason.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know what you're talking about. These guys currently on Southampton in the EFL okay, okay, the twenty four team league that's right underneath the EPL, Jack Stefansky. Jack Stephens was seen as a star early Stephen. He signed with Plymouth Argyle in Devon. Then Jack Stephen, Jack Stefanovitch went to Southampton, Jack Stephen, they loaned into Swindon Town, then Middlesbrough.
Speaker 2: Jack Stephen in town.
Speaker 3: What you don't know, You don't think the town, You don't think they played meaningful football in.
Speaker 2: Swindon Towny your football, Jack.
Speaker 3: Then he went to Coventry City and Bournemouth and then the only national experience that Jack Stephan has for England is the Lions under twenty one, under twenty and under nineteen teams and under eighteen. He never made it to the Super adult team. But Jack Stephen's.
Speaker 2: Come on, let's celebrate. Jack Stephan.
Speaker 3: Is a defender. He can play right, he can play left, and he can play in the center.
Speaker 6: Stefan Jack Stephan.
Speaker 3: Is recognized for being a composed defender, even if you say his name wrong and perhaps a racially insensitive way toward plumbers.
Speaker 6: Jack Stefanski Stephens.
Speaker 3: Jack Stephen has often served as captain for his various clubs because like dealing with the plumbing problem, much like the real Jack Stephan.
Speaker 6: Jack Stefanovic Stefan Jack Stefan.
Speaker 3: Has a very composed demeanor. As I said, not easy to live up to the legacy of the great plumber Jack Stefan, But Jack Stefan, English soccer star Jack Stephans is trying and he's thirty one years old today and we want to wish him a happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Jack Steh Stefan Stefanovic for plumbing ninjinin.
Speaker 6: Your Man is Jack Stephaniole Stefan, Jack Stefan.
Speaker 2: Fix any household problems, just charge it. Your man is Jack Stefanski.
Speaker 6: Stepan, Jack Stefan.
Speaker 2: Not a point weick service seven days a week, called your Man, Jack Stefanovitch.
Speaker 6: Stefan Jazz Stepan.
Speaker 3: Plumbing or heating problems in the home, called your man by telephone, Jack Stefan.
Speaker 6: We're in the white pages.
Speaker 2: And we'll be back on tomorrow. You can find us on the white pages, always the white pages, not the.
Speaker 3: If you miss us, we're in the white pages.
Speaker 2: You know, back in the day you need it an alias, you can just grab that book, open the white pages and find something. Lickety split. Man, it was so easy.
Speaker 3: We're on the iHeartRadio an we're else of air to podcast so you.
Speaker 2: Can call me Gary Perzinski. Nice to meet you.
Speaker 3: Enjoy Tim Kats calling the die Mar Compass Media Michigan game tonight. Amra now looks like an evil twin a Dimra and arbor style no more mister me Mara.
Speaker 2: You know Likerow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got he's got an evil goate, eat.
Speaker 2: Me super much.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll be back with more beetles somebody tomorrow at three o'clock. Thanks everybody, and thank you to Ronnie