Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on a m five seventy l A Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: While it's the longest running afternoon sports show in the city.
Speaker 3: No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros papada Gas terrible person, he's the worst and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 4: The pipes, the pipes, the pipe.
Speaker 3: Don't miss an episode. We're with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, follow the petros In Money Show wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papadacus and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 5: And me.
Speaker 6: Here is what you see your father, then you.
Speaker 7: See me.
Speaker 2: Petrust Money five seventy l A Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio. Another four hour show as we are going until seven o'clock tonight, though no Monday Night Football. It is not Monday No Football, but instead David Besse Off Day Dodger Talk. As we know the opponent, it will be Toronto. It'll be the Galpin Motors broadcast booth from Toronto. Five oh eight pm on Friday is Game one. Saturday is Game two, three, four and five. We'll be here in Los Angeles starting on Monday. So, Dave, we'll have all of that in an hour. We will have Thursday Charger football kicking off at five fifteen pm on our sister station, KFI AM six forty. They're hosting the vikings out at SOFI Stadium. Do it now or later?
Speaker 3: Or what? We got one pair left for now?
Speaker 4: Well, I got a I'm gonna ask you a question. Okay, you got the balls to have the ball? Well, if you got the balls, then Matt, why don't you whip them out and show everybody what they're like?
Speaker 2: Dog Charger balls with lightning bolts on them. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy eight is a Nike sw shaped like a lightning bolt. There we go eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy caller ten if you want to go to the game. Still some tickets available at chargers dot com slash tickets, but you will go courtesy of your home of the Chargers. If your caller ten right now, that's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be pretty sweet. Yeah, I mean you're gonna have a great time.
Speaker 2: Supercharger uniforms this time. All golds on Sunday, all navies on Thursday, hark.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know a lot of people you know complain about those charger unis you included, but I couldn't read the numbers. I'll say this, if you play on any NFL team now in two thy twenty five, you can pretty much expect that whatever colors they have, they will be all in that color at some point, at some point, you know, all red, if you're the Giants, all blue, if you're the Giants, all white, all white. Right, while those bills have done all of those the bills have been white, well everybody will. That's so you just you just have to say, it's our night in the barrel. We look like a bunch of bananas. But this is our fit eight because this is one of our primary colors uniform that is exactly like that top to bottom.
Speaker 2: Oh, those all teals in Jacksonville, beautiful glorious.
Speaker 4: Can't beat him the all Blacks with Detroit last night.
Speaker 3: Not in New Zealand.
Speaker 4: No, it's time for the Final Hour fun Fast. In effect, it's the yeah We're three fun Fasts fun Fact, brought to you by Concordia University. Final Hour Fun Fact is going to be great, But you can ask yourself why do several Olympic athletes go to Concordia? Why do the former NFL players? Why are the best college and high school coaches across the nation.
Speaker 3: I'll do it.
Speaker 4: They're graduates and current students at Concordia University of Your Mind's Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration program.
Speaker 3: They do it because it's the best. Find out more at cuy dot Edu.
Speaker 2: Slash coaching should have had Kate's que up. Some tragically hit for this one.
Speaker 4: Did you know the death of that singer really affected Justin Trudeau deeply. Now he's with Katie Perry grabbing her ass on a yacht.
Speaker 3: Hey, she's been to space. Did you know you were ballast?
Speaker 2: The first professional home run ever hit by Babe Ruth September fifth, nineteen fourteen, the only home run he hit while in the minor leagues as a nineteen year old Providence Gray in the International League.
Speaker 4: What kind of name that can we get? That's totally unoffensive?
Speaker 2: Just about the grace love it. He connected with a pitch from Ellis Johnson of the Toronto Maple Leafs, launching a three run donner over the right field fence at Hanlin's Point Stadium. He was the starting pitcher that day, allowed one hit in a complete game shutout as the Grays one nine zero. The Toronto Star nicknamed him the south Side Phenom.
Speaker 3: That's a good name.
Speaker 2: Sultan's swat pretty cool, But south Side that's created.
Speaker 4: Come on, plays for the Grays. Come on, it's very creative stuff.
Speaker 3: Matt.
Speaker 4: Forget about that Oregon Ducks Grateful Ducks uniform. That's I want to play for the Grays.
Speaker 2: My uniform is gray and we got the south Side Phenom. This kid, Babe Ruth playing for us.
Speaker 4: What does what does your alternative uniform look like? Well, it's a darker shade of gray. It's a heather.
Speaker 2: You know, everybody that comes here to Toronto to play baseball is technically from the South. I feel like there are a lot of potential south Side Phoenix to the south.
Speaker 4: I really feel like you could be from Buffalo and you're still the south Side Phoenom. All right, it's time for quick ends, toms quickets.
Speaker 3: I'll make it quick, y'all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right. The Dodgers getting ready for Game one of the World Series Friday in Toronto are all south Side phenoms to these people. Dave Roberts south Side Phenoms Done Right met the media via zoom earlier. Born in Okinawa, Real sou here's part of that.
Speaker 8: You've had a veteran group all year long, You've been with them for a while now. How have you been able to not allow your voice to just become white noise and even when things were not going their best this year, to find a way to get the best out of those guys.
Speaker 9: You know, I think we're going to run the same rotation back, I think for sure for the first two Smell and then and then Yamamoto and we'll see kind of from game three in game four. Yeah, you know what, I think it's one of those things that they know me pretty well. I've learned to know them pretty well. We have a lot of the same people that have been together for quite some time, and with that you learned kind of how to, you know, ultimately get the best out of them at certain points, and when to push them and challenge them and when to give them some latitude and some grace. I think there's a there's a complete trust with me and the players, and our goal of winning a championship has never been in question. But yeah, you know, I think for me as you can see, you see it firsthand. You know, there's times I give guys freedom and like I said, grace because the game's hard, it's a long season. But there's other times where I kind of I get to be a little bit more stern in my messaging and expectations, you know, when I feel the times right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dave, how much more comfortable are you with the six day break this year compared to the breaks the last two years?
Speaker 9: I think actually much more comfortable, you know, even after you know, the game four, when we're flying out tomorrow, which sort of breaks up the monotony of not playing. We took the one day off, but the guys are active, the guys feel good. I do think that there were some guys that were nursing some things so to get us back to full health. But actually we got to simulate a game another one tonight, So I feel good about kind of the guy who's focus and playing and yeah, we'll be ready to go on Friday. Feel good about it.
Speaker 4: Freddy Freeman also spoke with the media via zoom, another South Side legend, even though he's from Canada. Here is the Dodgers first Basement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know you're playing for the visiting team, of course, but is this something that's going to be special for you and your family?
Speaker 10: Do you think? Yeah, my dad is obviously going to head out there tomorrow as well, so it's going to be pretty special. And I'm not so sure the Canadian fans Blue Days fans will be cheering from you this time around like it was in the day of BC the last couple of times.
Speaker 3: But it is special.
Speaker 10: Both my parents are born and raised in Canada, especially in the providence of Ontario. My mom from the Toronto area, Dad from Windsor, So it is special, you know. Every time I go there, it just kind of you just have this like feeling inside that you feel just a little bit closer to my mom. So I'm looking forward to it. I'm excited every time I go there. It's you always. I always get this little envelope in my locker and it's always like pictures of like a third cousin has found photos in their garage and they and they and they bring them to me. So I love going back to Toronto. It's a special place for obviously my family and I and every time I go back there, I feel a little bit closer to my mom, So I'm looking forward to get there.
Speaker 5: Marry.
Speaker 1: What was your filling last night just watching that whole country go crazy with the Springer home run and seeing Black Grero, you know, crying after the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's special.
Speaker 10: I mean, when you have a whole country that's, you know, behind one team, it's it's pretty amazing. And then obviously what they've done, They've they've been invested in their team, into that stadium, the busying clubhouse, they've redone, so they've put a lot into the Toronto Blue Jays and to just see the city come together and I get to experience so much jubilation that they had yesterday going to the World Series for the first time I think it was thirty plus years, So you know, it's an exciting time. And obviously, you know my family being from Canada, it's pretty cool. But it's bodies had an amazing postseason so far, and you know that everyone's Springer's home run. It's just stuff that you that they won't forget. And I think it's just gonna be a really good, real series.
Speaker 3: Looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: And how about this, Matt the already you'll ever have an iconic moment in the World Series. In his career, I think he'll ever be lucky enough to know.
Speaker 4: Okay, And it's so beyond the realm of pots, such an incredible career, trying to get to the next story, right beyond the realm of possibility that Freddy's ever going to do anything that abody remembers ever just because.
Speaker 11: You have got to be kidding me, Ben, that.
Speaker 3: Never mind Game one in the World Series.
Speaker 4: You got to be kidding me, Ben.
Speaker 11: You have got to be kidding me.
Speaker 4: Ben. That is the best sports I have ever seen.
Speaker 3: You just happen right in front of us.
Speaker 7: Dude, thought, it is the best moment in sports I've ever seen.
Speaker 11: You have got to be kidding me, Ben, That is the best moment in sports I have ever seen.
Speaker 4: Can we move on, no, to something important. The Angels have hired a new manager.
Speaker 3: Great congratulations, guys.
Speaker 5: Way to go.
Speaker 2: Dodgers just are in the world Act like we don't cover this team? Yes, is how we're gonna act.
Speaker 4: Suzuki forty you might have Atani and Amoto and rookieak.
Speaker 2: Just because you drove a Suzuki Samurai in high school. That's the only reason you're interested in this story. Now, that's a goddamn line.
Speaker 4: Never been behind the wheel of a Susuki s I've never been in one. Suzukis had Missus sixth seed, You're right, sixteen years for five franchises and won the twenty nineteen World Series with the Nationals.
Speaker 3: So he knows what he's at an education.
Speaker 2: He spent the last ever managed before three years as a special assistant.
Speaker 3: Though to Perry Manassi, well was he the manager or was he in the front office?
Speaker 4: Well, if it's Manassi and it's a front office guy, seems like he was in the front He's a SoCal guy who played in Fullerton.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 4: Former Angel stars al Poolholz and Tory Hunter at an Arkansas Pine Bluff were also in consideration for the job to replace Ron Washington, a Supreme educator. Ron missed nearly half of the twenty twenty five season while undergoing quadruple bypass surgery. The Angels rewarded him by firing him. Wait to make it and stay alive. But you're fired, Ron. There's more off the field Angels news, Matt that you don't seem to want to participate in.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll do it.
Speaker 2: This I'm fine with because it's not on the field news. You're fine with this death and destruction. Mike Trout testified today at Santa Anna Court that he loved his teammate Tyler Skaggs like a brother and never saw signs of drug use before he died of an overdose on a team trip to Texas in twenty nineteen. Trout took the stand in a civil trial of whether the team should be held responsible for its communications director Eric Kaye, giving Skags a fentanyl laced pill that led to his death. They want like fifty million bucks.
Speaker 3: That's a very unfortunate story. Yes, thank you, matt Yes, season tips off tonight for the Lake.
Speaker 4: Thanks for your contribution.
Speaker 2: They host the Golden State Warriors. You'll hear from James Worthy in the very next segment, Pivot Talk Laker gitting. You're ready and guess what. It's a glorious night because Lebron is out. It is the Lakers debut for the twenty five to twenty six campaign and it is Lucas team with the Andre Ayton, with Marcus Smart, with all of the with Austin Reeves and his sweet new Travis Matthew from the course to the court collaboration no Lebron, as Russell Westbrook called him in a book out there, fake ass Lebron to get in the way of Lakers success. Tonight, man, we had Will Smith coming. Lebron was like, was this punk Will Smith coming? Then all of a sudden, Will Smith walks.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was watching.
Speaker 4: I am legend. I love that moment, that one.
Speaker 7: Scene that you was in before you punched that alien.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you about fake ass Lebron.
Speaker 4: Man, give me. We had Will Smith come once, give me the scoop about the fake ass.
Speaker 7: Truce, and he was like, oh, that got sucks. And then Will Smith walks in. He was like, oh, snap, you went. Chargers fakes Lebron. Thursday night have a real game Dog against the Minute. So the Vikings listen to the game on KFI AM six forty Chargers with three and a half point.
Speaker 3: Home favorites oothball. If you're into that kind.
Speaker 2: Of stuff, I think most people are right. I don't know, just want to just read the script. What are the odds?
Speaker 5: Book?
Speaker 2: We gave away our last pair of tickets a moment ago, So if you're looking to go.
Speaker 3: Your sol or you can just buy them online. No, No, they're sold out.
Speaker 4: Rams are five and two, they have a bye week, they're home versus the Saints in a couple of weeks. UCLA is three and four.
Speaker 3: No, they're not.
Speaker 4: Well, they're undefeated according to Cnetty. It's right, but their number undefeated. This team is undefeated. Their number two opponent on Saturday is Indiana number two, nine am Pacific time, kickoff from Bloomington.
Speaker 2: Number two Indiana University football number two.
Speaker 4: Tim Skipper don't want no excuses from his team because they haven't early. Now, this is how you handle this stuff. We'll get ready to go.
Speaker 12: We'll leave on Thursday and we'll go play on Saturday. The time is whatever time it is where we're at, and we're gonna go play. If there's no excuses when I'm blame the trip or any of that stuff, We're gonna go have a team practice and we'll go ballot it out out there.
Speaker 4: All these teams practice in the morning, and then all of a sudden, you have a nine am Pacific game.
Speaker 3: What are you doing to us? Exactly this?
Speaker 4: You practice every day at that.
Speaker 3: Time, every damn night.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: USC's five and two with a bye week, they'll be at Nebraska in two weeks kick on the Huskers.
Speaker 3: What time is that game kicking off?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I hope it's not early.
Speaker 4: It's If it's nine am, it'll be a little noon. So it's a four point thirty kick.
Speaker 2: You know what, we're really happy about the schedule this week. We are very excited about the schedule against Nebraska at Nebraska.
Speaker 4: I want to sit around in Lincoln all day stare out the window at the flat land. I can see these to the edge of the earth from here all the way. I stand on a tunic and I can see still water.
Speaker 3: Look at that.
Speaker 4: Big Twelve issued a public reprimand fifty thousand dollars fine of Arizona State University first storm in the field and smoking a dube. They were smoking dubes on the field.
Speaker 7: Why not?
Speaker 4: Uh? That occurred on Saturday's football game night against Texas Tech. You know they're trying to ramp down on the Tortillas and Lubbock. The Big Twelve's is just they're not trying to have any fun anymore.
Speaker 2: Fifty grand You know they'll pay that, right, Ah, it's a baggell make it bag.
Speaker 3: No problem. On the Truros.
Speaker 4: SCC is fine Texas A and M five to fifty thousand and reprimanded their coach, Mike Elko, for a violation of the conference's injury policy. They put a prosthetic leg on a player who had lost his leg and don't dollied him out onto the field.
Speaker 3: He's gonna play. It's bad, He's gonna play.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back, but James Worthy Lakers Tonight.
Speaker 3: We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you this summer.
Speaker 1: Make am five seventy or your favorite a five to seventy LA Sports podcast, a preset on the iHeartRadio app using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto road Trip all summer with LA Sports.
Speaker 2: That's yours some money five to seventy LA Sports live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. It's time for our basketball conversation to begin for the twenty five to twenty six campaign, and that is brought to you by the twenty twenty six Ford f one point fifty from California's best selling truck brand. It is time to see Ford in a new light.
Speaker 4: James Worthy right on Tile joining us on the Petros and Money Show as the NBA kicks off again. I mean tips off again and there's nobody like James Worthy. Big Game. James is an ambassador to the city of Los Angeles for pro basketball and specifically the Lakers.
Speaker 3: I think the Lakers could win it.
Speaker 5: Many do.
Speaker 4: Forget about all these other stupid questions. That's the question.
Speaker 3: How the Lakers win it?
Speaker 4: MVP multiple championships with the Showtime Lakers Emmy's eternal celebration for one of the greatest NBA players of all time and a champion of the NCAA Tournament as well. He knows nothing but greatness and also a jazz afficionado. Our dear friend James Worthy on The Petrosen Money Show. What's cracking? James? How are you?
Speaker 5: Here? We go? Here we go, always exciting to get things going, So why not get it started? On The Petrosen Money Show, Why not?
Speaker 4: And where we really appreciate you doing it. Say hi to Geeter for us and everybody else over there in El Segundo. But give us a little vibe on you know, I mean, I'm sure you have a pretty good idea of what's gonna what the team is like, or what might happen when the season starts. Do you feel differently this year than you have in the last few years.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, given the fact that they they they had like half a season with Luca last year and they were able to get to third in the West, which was you know, kind of impressive without a d without a a rem protector, and then they met their fate uh in Minnesota. So I think it's nervous time. I think it's nervous time because you got a full year with with Luca. Lebron will come along a little bit later. You got a center in Ayton who's who's revived and trying to revitalize his himself. Remember he had great years at Portland. I mean I mean at Phoenix, not so good at Portland. So, uh, he's capable, he's young. You got Marcus Smart, Uh, you know, a guy who's good for the locker room, like a real dog in there, who's gonna you know, lead by example and and we'll be able to speak, you know that knowledge. And then you've got you know, Austin Reeves on the last year of his deal motivated. You know, Rui's got a lot to dool So you know, they they have the pieces and they have the team. It's just a matter of are they gonna be able to compete in a you know, in a very tough West Conference. But I think the opening night with Luca healthy and and you know, ready to lead, you know, without Lebron. Last year they fared pretty well when Luca was on the floor. I think they you know, they they did okay without Lebron. So it's just going to be interesting to see how they come out of the blocks and what JJ Reddick has done to implement you know, new players and how they're going to play their roles.
Speaker 2: James, what have what have you seen kind of thus far practice preseason? I know it's not a lot, but just from the new look Luca cutting weight, getting in shape because you know, I know people would get on him for for being heavy, but that seemed like is what he used to his advantage, right, He was like Jokic, just pushing people around, using that weight to throw defenders off of him. How much do you think his game will change, if at all? And and do you think it's for the better? Do you think it'll it'll hit him at all that he's got to make some sort of adjustments or what do you think we'll see from him?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I agree with you. I remember Jokic, you know, he was, you know what, wasn't in like the best of shape, and then he figured it out. But he still had his weight on him. He still had you know, muscle, and he just he's a people mover. That's how That's how jokis and you know, uh, Lucas similar. I think he still has his strength even though he didn't have you know, the weight that he has. He still has you know that he's still tall, he's still massive. You know. Larry Bird was kind of like that, you know, didn't you know, he wasn't like, you know, super quick at getting around people, but knew how to create space. And I think I think what I've seen look at this far, it's it's gonna benefit him, you know, especially on the defensive end. He's he's not gonna get his tired, He's not going to have that actual weight, you know, to carry around, and uh, he still maintains his strength and ball handling skills. I haven't seen him skip anything. So I'm hoping that he'll be able to you know, sustain a little bit more left injury, be stronger down the stretch in the fourth quarter, which he already is but you know, going along with this team, being more of a leader. I see, I see it looks pretty good, you know what.
Speaker 2: You know the talent, I mean, you saw it in the playoffs. He helped the Suns get to an NBA final a few years back. For whatever reason, it got derailed. But we know what it looked like for these Lakers in the postseason. They needed a big and they did not have one, and it certainly cost him that series. He's kind of, what have you seen so far from Ayton from that position and how much of an addition that can be and how much that's going to help this team out.
Speaker 5: I see a willingness, and I see a guy that understands you're in Los Angeles now. When I think when he was in you know, Phoenix, I think he was you know, I think maybe he was like twenty two years old. He's like sixteen points, twelve rebounds, you know, help a team get to the finals. So he knows how to play. And I think being around you know, a successful franchise, a franchise that demands it. You know, when you come to Los Angeles, you're on the microscope every night. And what I saw in media day was his understanding of that. He knows he's got to be a defensive wizard and also be a threat offensively. And I you know, and a few games that I've seen, I've seen the effort, and you know, he's he's a pretty smart player. And I said this before. Guys they start to peak around twenty seven twenty eight, So you got Luca at twenty seven eight, and you know he's got it. He's got to get it done here. It's just he knows that this is Los Angeles. You know when you look at even guys like Dwight Howard or JaVale McGee, those guys got it done when they were here, and not to mention, you know, a D and some of the other grades. So yeah, he's he's in a he's in a good situation with Luca. He's with a good team, a good organization, and you know he's he's got to he's got to prevail.
Speaker 4: What do you think the Lebron situation will end up? Like this year? He's out right now. I mean he's old and he's not in his prime like those other guys that you mentioned, but still plays at a high level. But he's got a sciatica It just sounds like an old man injury because it is what what do you think is gonna happen? How much will he be able to contribute when he contributes?
Speaker 5: You're right, it is an old man I've had it for like three years. Just doesn't go away either. It's just the golf man. It's no there's no stretch the can can get rid of it. But you know, I think, you know, look Lebron for a long time, you know, he had he had you know, father time on the ropes. You know, in fact, he's still got father time backing up. You know, he's ropidoping for all the time. And I think, you know, we don't know, you know, how an off season, you know how his body feels, you know, And and I think he's just gonna survey. He knows his Lucas team now, I think Lebron knows that, but he wants to win. Lebron wants to win. He's he's not he's got that one chance to win. So he's gonna be observing. He's gonna be taking a look at the team and and seeing how you know, things unfold with you know, without him. Uh, I think it's gonna take a lot of bit of a lot of the leadership. Uh, you know, roll away from him. You know, he's he's gonna settle in and just play accordingly. But he's got to get healthy first. He can't come out there and you know, be seventy percent. At his age, he's got no records to just set anymore. Uh So I just think he's gonna take it easy and see how it's sound and foes and then make decisions accordingly.
Speaker 4: Now, James, you're gonna be looking clean tonight on TV. You look clean on TV in a nice suit. You know, you look good when in the eighties, back in the day and beyond. Uh, if you were playing now, I guess you'd be like really, I mean, you have to really concentrate on what you're gonna wear. The way they cover these guys walking into the stadium, you know, they're dressed up like it's like the Golden Globes or.
Speaker 3: Like they're going to space. Yeah, what do we just what are we doing?
Speaker 5: I just I just I just saw, you know, I just saw some you know, I don't know, man, I throw some wings like the male version of Victoria and no shirt and some have some Edward scissorhands, you know, hands to come on through, you know, with a with a wow wow, with a wow wow, James Betson, you know what I mean, Come with it, man.
Speaker 2: That's a perfect duugh You know what I'd show up on seventh that tonight, James, what the hell let's go.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, hey NBC, NBC has it tonight. But we do have three games and postgame we just don't have halftime.
Speaker 4: We still look clean but not ridiculous. We love you, James, and we can't wait for the other season start. There he goes James Worthy. Everybody always great to talk to. James Worthy. A little culture, a little bit of flavor for the Petros and Money show as the NBA season begins, and we'll be right back with your dead and a live guy Birthday of the Day. Don't forget mystery guest David Vasse Dodger Talk for off night World Series Action coming up at seven.
Speaker 1: Hello, p MS listener, did you know Am five seventy LA Sports has a wide range of LA Sports podcasts. There's Rogan and Rodney.
Speaker 6: That one is my favorite. Dodger Talk with David Vassei, the Dodger Podcast of Record, Clipper talk without a musk, follow us all and many more. Just go to AM five to seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening, everybody. It's Petro send money mercifully coming to an end on this two ed Mono Tuesday Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Podcast The Show We Did four Hours Today podcast. Enjoy stream it live, Live your life with great sports talk. Game one the twenty twenty five World Series Dodgers versus Canada. Friday here on AM five seventy LA Sports, Blue Jays Dodgers First pitch? Is it five oh eight? And Thursday we got Chargers versus Vikings kickoff at five point fifteen. Thursday Night Football on KFI with Matt Smith Old cleaning the Cube, Daniel Jeremiah skating his empty pool. I'm a pool guy now, unbelievable, dropping in just courage well, fingers crossed. You don't get a text or call in the next I don't know ten minutes or the rest of the evening. So far so, don Martin, so far done. You gotta leave your family immediately. Now it's time before we say goodbye. We'll be back on tomorrow two o'clock that's a flex alert because the clippers. But right now it's time for the Dead Guy.
Speaker 2: Birthday of the Day Pinks, blues and golds. Disney legend Mary Blair one of the most influential artists in the history of the Walt Disney Company.
Speaker 4: I associate this song with you as well, Matt, because I'm small and I live in the world. No, because I got stuck on this ride with you for like an hour and a half while your whole family fell asleep. Yeah, we're all backed up, caught cheese. I know that the ride was backed down. I was fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And this song plays on a loop as it will for this Dead Guy Birthday of the Day tribute. Her ground breaking use of color, her fresh, imaginative style, her bold visual story telling, and a new approach is what defined the look of Disney's most iconic era films theme park attractions as they made their debuts. Work from Mary Blair would inspire generations of artists and animators. She was born in McAllister, Oklahoma. She went to San Jose State Let's Go spart While there, she earned a scholarship for graduate work at the Schwina Art Institute of Los Angeles. One of the most respected art schools in the country at the time. Graduated from there in thirty one, and her reputation has already made its rounds because the innovative in the thirties California Watercolor Society granted her admission upon her graduation.
Speaker 4: If there's going to be a society that does watercolors, that's the one.
Speaker 2: Mary Blair, that's what you want, right, God, she got it. It was her use of vibrant hughes whimsical designs that stood out made her quite famous in the artistic circles. She married fellow artist Lee Blair in nineteen thirty four. Together they joined a group of artists that were exploring the emerging field of animation. Nineteen forty, after declining previous advances, Walt Disney himself made the pitch to Mary Blair to join Walt Disney Studios. She worked on concept art for Dumbo Lady in the Tramp Fantasia. Walt requested her to join him on a goodwill tour of South America.
Speaker 4: South America America is a great.
Speaker 2: And during World War Two, sponsored by the US government Strength and Cultural Ties. She said it had a profound impact on her art, bright colors, geometric forms, lively patterns of Latin American culture is what influenced her style. And ultimately, she said Disney when she got back to California. She was a leading color stylist, a concept artist for all of those films of the forties and fifties. Her fingerprints p all over the famous Disney film Saludos Amigos, one of my favorite famous Disney film, the Three Cavalleros.
Speaker 4: Oh, come on, We're three cabalios, three gay cabilieros.
Speaker 2: And then some little films that didn't get as much attention, like Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, and Peter Pan.
Speaker 4: Those are pit nothing compared nothing Cavalieros and Saludos Aveos.
Speaker 2: It was the warmth, the emotion, they said her colors brought to every scene. She left Disney in the mid nineteen fifties, hired as the lead illustrator. If you're of a certain age, you remember the Little Golden Books. She did all of that, Invited back by Walt Disney to design for the nineteen sixty four New York World's Fair. That is where she created the design and color scheme for And I did not know this. It was not an attraction ride. It was the Disney submission to the World Fair. It's a Small World was part of the nineteen sixty four New York World's Fair, and then they moved it out to Disneyland. She died in nineteen seventy eight. Her influenced though stands posthumously named a Disney legend in ninety one. One of the greats. She painted emotions, and she captured the timeless.
Speaker 3: Magic of childhood with every brushstroke. Mary Blair, very exciting.
Speaker 2: Do you want me to go through this one more time so you can get that vibe when we.
Speaker 4: Were stuck on the route, Yeah, turn it on.
Speaker 7: Listen to it for about an hour. Kids, We've traveled to Columbia and we can't escape.
Speaker 4: We're DoD We have stuck here, much like somebody who got in trouble with the cartels.
Speaker 5: We leave.
Speaker 4: Well, Matt, I did this one for you, beating out Doja Cat who's kind of gross?
Speaker 3: Is uh?
Speaker 4: Henrik Klingenberg Finish power Metal, Matt, in honor of you and sweet James.
Speaker 3: We love it.
Speaker 4: Klingenberg is forty eight today. This is the guy that plays one of your favorite instruments.
Speaker 3: The key tar. Oh I love the key tar.
Speaker 4: It's the guitar shaped keyboard in this case a Roland AX one. Oh, that's a good one, and then a rolland Ax seven.
Speaker 3: Nothink's even better, and then a Roland.
Speaker 4: Ax sint and then a curves well and then a cork.
Speaker 3: Karma, Oh, a cork and a Kertzville.
Speaker 4: And then a cork Triton synthesized. That's the one endorsed by Cord and Roland from Kenny Finland. He's been in some pretty sweet power metal bands, but he is most associated with Sonata Arctica. Well, they used to be known as Tricky Beans or Tricky Means, and they were like, no one's gonna know that we're hardcore metal.
Speaker 3: We'll take it seriously.
Speaker 4: I don't let everybody know we're metal. So they changed their name. He wasn't a band called Requiem sounds pretty metal metal.
Speaker 3: I think The Arctic also very metal.
Speaker 4: The band he's in sees themselves as melodic metal now after many many decades. The play the key tar his favorite keyboard player. Henrick's favorite most inspired by the guy from Deep Purple. He was chosen by Sonata Arctica because him and another guy were up for the keyboard job. So they got drunk with both guys like the bachelor, you know one and then the other right, and they liked him better drinking, so they hired it.
Speaker 3: Actually quite brilliant.
Speaker 4: He got the jobs shred for Arctic Sonata. Well, drinking vodka's important in Finland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you're gonna tour and be on the road. What's this guy like as a drunk?
Speaker 4: They have a prolific library of face melting power metal. He also has a solo album called and the Weird Turned Pro with two other guys from.
Speaker 2: Also quite metal Sonata Arctica kanfee Mates It's melted from the metal.
Speaker 4: In one of the videos, he wears a traffic cone on his head, which is now a trademark for a section of his fans.
Speaker 3: At the metal shows, they all wear traffic cones on their heads. Be behind.
Speaker 4: Don't want to be behind them, just like you don't want to be behind the Marshmallow DJ or Danger Mouse.
Speaker 3: Can't see damn thing.
Speaker 4: Hardcore finished metal band had eleven albums Give them their flowers Man eleven hours Sonata Arctica.
Speaker 13: This is quite melodica, I will say, yeah, turn it out. Give it a double bass.
Speaker 1: That's not like it.
Speaker 4: Oh they're great.
Speaker 3: I was alive might listening to this on the way home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Arctic Sonata, Sonata Arctica.
Speaker 3: Oh, look at the artwork for so it's.
Speaker 4: Just beautiful man, my god. Well, enjoy your night, everybody. David Vasse coming up next with Dodger Talk because they're gonna make him work until he drops.
Speaker 3: Same with Kate's. I mean, this might be the best album, Cupper I've ever.
Speaker 4: Seen Joyce get not better than Asia, Clear.
Speaker 2: Cold and Beyond with the soldier's helmet discarded and an Arctic.
Speaker 4: Vibe, but you know, none of those Finnish wars.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 4: Coming up next, David Vasse coming up tomorrow Scam at six am and we'll be flexed back to two o'clock. Have a great night, everybody. Don't forget the podcast, the show.