Speaker 1: You know that the great Dave Lapham is fond of talking about a tale of two halves, right, a tale of two cities, right, Charles Dickens novelah blah blah blah, pretty much the same thing which you alluded to in your column about how I mean certainly offensively. Joe Flacco's comes in, He's got about three days with the team. First half looked like a guy that had been with a team three days, right. Second half, things got together and he performed very very well, which we'll get into defense.
Speaker 2: Not so much.
Speaker 3: Well, you're right, and it's the tale of the positive, the good news and the bad news. So the good and the bad, the tale of two halves.
Speaker 4: Rock.
Speaker 3: I heard you talking with Willie there, and I've said this in my calum dance and say dot com you know that it takes time. It took you know, Joe Flacco needed some time. And that's I think clearly what was happening there in the first half is I don't think you could expect this guy to come in go to lambeau Field against Green Bay, despite the fact that he's played green Bay already this season. That's a big ask to step into a new team on the fly Tuesday night, he gets here, you know, goes over the playbook on his drive down with Zach Taylor, gets to the facility late at night, and he's there till late at night and in all week and it's like still and then you you talked about it too, and Jamar Chase said they only got twelve reps together. I mean, this is the best receiver in the game who got sick and had to go home, and so all things told, like, you know, the fact that they really turned it up there after the halftime was really impressive. I think it should give you u some hope that the Bengals are going to win a few more games this season. I mean, this season is done. This season was done the moment Joe Burrow went down, But that doesn't mean they can't be competitive win a few games, and maybe they weren't supposed to. Joe Flack a huge credit to the front office for not just sitting on their hands, because I think, you know, the thing everyone expected the Bengals to do was just we'll just keep doing the same thing we always do and keep a rolling with who we got. And the fact that they made a move there, uh and you know, bench Jake Browning and or I don't know it was a benching. I guess you returned him to the bench, right right, Yeah, And when I got Joe Flacco like that, that's a good thing. The bottom line.
Speaker 1: Flacco, by the way, second half, so he was twenty nine to forty five for the entire game, but the second half twenty one of thirty one hundred and seventy nine yards, two touchdowns, zero interceptions.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was really really good.
Speaker 3: And over what was his overall two hundred and nineteen yards, yes, you know, two hundred nineteen yards passing, two touchdowns, no interceptions combined, found T Higgins Jamar Chase for fifteen receptions.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 3: That's I don't know how much more you could ask of that guy. If that guy produces out on a weekly basis, uh that that's that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Really good. And the main thing he did was any situation. I always talk about football in the end of it is kind of simple. You get the ball your best players, and if you have better players than they do, you're gonna win a lot more games if you make a conscious effort to get your best players the ball and they couldn't do.
Speaker 2: That with Jake Brown.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's a deficiency on him or it was a game plan. I'm not quite sure on that, but credit Joe Flacco has been around a long time.
Speaker 2: He's wise.
Speaker 1: He says, Look, I don't know all the ends outs of the playbook, and I don't know what this route's called or that concept.
Speaker 2: But I'm gonna throw the ball at number one.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna throw the ball at number five, and I'm gonna not and get the ball in my hand, which he's always been really good at. Ye, he's good at kind of knowing where the you know, the target guy is supposed to be and how he's supposed to get open.
Speaker 2: And he followed through it. He did.
Speaker 3: And honestly, that that touchdown passed late in the game to Uh to Jamar Chase was a dark and that was it. That looked like Joe. It looked like a Joe Burrow throw. It did, and the way Chase went and got it that I put on him.
Speaker 1: I said with Willie, I I don't know if that's like an official route. I know all the routes in football, I don't know what that was. It was kind of like a like a just ran up and it was kind of a back shoulder but not really put it out in front of him. He just he he was just a barter player, just one and got it, you know. And that's at the end of the day. Give Jamar Chase and his catch radio is a chance, and you're you're gonna end up pretty good.
Speaker 3: That's there's I mean, we've seen catches like that that Jamar and t have made. With Joe Burrow, what was it in the Denver Was it the Denver game last year? The ball that just Burrow? I think he just chucked it up and T Higgins just went up and got him for a touchdown.
Speaker 2: They won that game.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then there's the other side of the coin rock. The defense is now. I mean, I think everyone who pays close attention knows and and Mo Mo talked a lot about this.
Speaker 2: The defense isn't good. No, and and.
Speaker 1: You're right, we've forgotten about it because, you know, because Burrow brown interceptions in the first against some pretty poultry offense.
Speaker 2: Does the defense looked pretty good.
Speaker 3: They got takeaways, they did, They got some they got some opportunistic takeaways. But I'll tell you Joe Flacco in Game one in Cleveland, and uh, Trevor and Lawrence. They diced up that defense pretty good. They just got overshadowed by by the the takeaways, some of which were gimmes ricochets off of the receiver's hands. But that's the game, and what do you take it?
Speaker 1: But you it did all the things happening with the offense to your point, with Burrow and Brownie and all that and what's going on, it overshaded the reality of this is a defense that was in the lower part of the of the league last year that made no real additions except for I mean, you called Demetrius Now he's been good, but not like a real impact player. It's the same defense. And then the second half.
Speaker 3: They're operating without their clearly best player, Trey Hendrickson, So you can't really expect it's not you can go, wow, what happened to the defense? Well, what happened to defense is it was the same guys as last year getting exposed the same way they did last year. Yeah, they have been getting absolutely just I mean, they ranked thirty one in total defense right now, and a big, big part of that is the fact that they are just really bad against the run they are giving up. They rank in the bottom five, five from the bottom, giving up one hundred and thirty six yards on the ground.
Speaker 2: Now during this four.
Speaker 3: Game losing streak, that's been one hundred and fifty six yards, they'd go out on the ground. You know, the Green Bay ran it on them again. But then when they didn't run it, you know, in the end there the defense couldn't make a stop, the offense can't comes to life, and you know they get that touchdown to get within a score and then what's the guy's name drawing a blank number zero for for the receiver for Golden Golden, a golden tape. But that's the Matthew Golden. I mean wide open in crunch time. Yeah, yeah, he caught that deep cross route, no one around him and for thirty one yards in the NFL, like, come on football field at a time at a time when you have to make a stop there like and they can't do it. And then you go back to last week too, and people will say these were garbage time touchdowns and ultimately that's how it turned out. But the Bengals draw that game last week to eleven points, was still over ten minutes left in the game. You know, they got the touchdown, the Jamar and the Detroit just drove the ball right down the field. It was a total dagger. They just sliced and dice, passing, running and just a nice mix balanced zip zip zip right down the field. Game over, no chance to come back.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 1: Now, let me ask you this, so with can you talk yourself into this?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: If the defense can get some takeaways, all right, and if the offense, with Joe Flacco getting even more experienced, can look more so like they did the second half versus the first half. If they can do all that in these next three games, all three at home at Pittsburgh, shooting Pittsburgh, the Jets and the Bears, can they get it done? Is there any possible chance, Jason, they can sit at five and four going to the buy? Because I will contend if I had asked you at the beginning of the season, with a healthy Joe Burrow, hey, the Bengals will be five and four at the buy and playing good?
Speaker 2: Will you take it? You might said, yes? So is that possible? In your opinion? Five and four at the buy? Rattle off three straight at home?
Speaker 3: I don't think it's possible with this defense, I think four and five could be possible. I don't think they're beating Pittsburgh at home. I think Pittsburgh is now seeing and that this is their moment. Now with the rest of the division down, I think Pittsburgh is seizing on that they're coming here. Obviously, both teams on a short rest. I still think there's an adjustment period for Flacco. Flacco almost really has to be the way he was yesterday in the second half of the entire game. That's a lot to ask, and then the defense like it just it feels like it's basically they're back to having to do the whole strategy they were going to do with Joe Burrow and now is to try to outscore teams. So now you're asking a lesser quarterback to do that, a better quarterback than Browning, but nowhere anywhere near Joe Burrow.
Speaker 2: You're asking Joe Flacco to put up thirty a week. Yes, that's exactly right. That's a tough ask. Tough ask.
Speaker 1: Well, well, look, we will continue to break this down throughout the course of the show. Dave Lapham of course, will check in with us as he always does at five o'clock here today, But we'll keep you posting on all that.
Speaker 2: But right now, let's go ahead and check some trafficking weather.
Speaker 1: How we look a little bit of the coaching carousel that is college football and and discuss on one hand, it's it's crazy that these schools. I mean, there's you know, James Franklin has a forty nine million dollars by it and they just fired. They're gonna pay forty nine million dollars in the next five or six years to do nothing.
Speaker 2: Mind boggling.
Speaker 1: And what was promised was in this world of nil, coaches weren't going to get fired as much because teams didn't want to give up that money they had to be able to buy players and what they would give their coach an extra year or two.
Speaker 2: But that's that's not happened. Uh.
Speaker 1: And the evidence shows that that is not happening. And we'll talk about that after the bottom of the hour news. But the more coaching news, it came out a little bit of go Jason. The Titans after a one to five star, after I believe a twenty to ten loss to the Raiders yesterday, they have fired their head coach, Brian Callahan.
Speaker 2: Former OC with your Cincinnati Bengals. Your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he went just four and nineteen in Tennessee. What is these six games into us? Just his second season in Tennessee. They drafted cam Ward with the number one overall pick.
Speaker 2: This year just didn't work.
Speaker 3: And you look at this and ye, here's potentially the issue is they've had incredible amount of turnover in their front office just in the last less than three years. So in less than three years, they've had three general managers. In December of twenty twenty two, they fired John Robinson the GM. They hire Ron Carthon as the GM, and two years later, in January of twenty twenty fourth, they fired Mike Vrabel. Then they hire that same year or that same month, they hire Brian Callahan. Then they fired guy the GM that they hired a few years ago, Ron carthin They hire a new GM, Mike borgan Ganzi, who wasn't the guy there when they hire Brian Callahan. So the guy that hired Brian Callahan had been fired back in which is always always has the right on.
Speaker 2: The wall and.
Speaker 3: Just just a mess. They're building a new stadium. They're going to open that in the early twenty twenty seven is when that's projected to be completed. Report All the reports say, so, I don't know. I mean, you know this guy, you know, it's been bad with the fans. The fans aren't showing up. The ones that are. We're chanting fire.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Three games into the season, like the whole stadium was echoing at halftime it was fire Callahan chance having been there and.
Speaker 1: Knowing some folks that lived down there and kind of knowing that fan base, which is I mean, the Tennessee market is about as calm as you can get from a pressures is not a New York City market where everyone's calling for your job every day. If you you know, you win and contend for the playoffs, you know good things are gonna You're gonna kind of be okay.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: I I remember saying I'm rarely.
Speaker 1: Like jumping to the defense of a coach that that you know, got fired.
Speaker 2: When they fired Mike Rabell, I thought that was incredible.
Speaker 8: Guys.
Speaker 1: I mean he's getting by the way, he's what four and one right now with the Patriots and without the roster that's like not even that great.
Speaker 3: He's one of the best coaches in the NFL. He's a tough guy. He instills toughness.
Speaker 2: In his town.
Speaker 1: They take on the identity of him in the same way the Lions take on the identity of of Van Campbell.
Speaker 3: The pride of Walsh, Jesuit High School, Rabel Cayhoga Falls, Ohio, Ohio State. There you go, buds, they are he's speaking of. Well, we'll talk more about college thing.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think I don't I don't watch all the Titans games. I don't know all the ins and outs, but I know that it just seems like the offense was was kind of lost. And anytime you have the general manager, he's the guy who didn't hire the head coach, it's unless you're really cranking, it ain't gonna be good.
Speaker 3: I mean he won four games there and less than a season and a half. It's like, yeah, it didn't work.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, especially a lot of time.
Speaker 3: A lot of times you're like you're like, okay, yeah, this maybe needs a little more time, but that one, yeah, yeah, you're four and nineteen. I think I think that we all know what the this isn't going to work.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about some of the college coaching turmoil as well. After the news who was Radio seven hundred WLW. It's not really on this day in history, it's actually yesterday in history. October twelve, fourteen ninety two, Columbus discovered the New World.
Speaker 2: We're celebrating Columbus Day today, well some are. I still celebrate Columbus Day. You know.
Speaker 1: His goal obviously was to find the Western Sea route to the Indies, right, That's where he was trying to find with the gold and the spices and all that sort of thing. It was financed by King Ferdinand, Queen Isabella of Spain, the journey Nina Pentas, Santa Maria, you know, all this stuff. But the first island or first land that he hit in the New World, and I've said this before because I've spent many years out there was on modern day San Salvador, which is a Bohemian island.
Speaker 2: That's where he hit it.
Speaker 1: First land, yes, and it used to be called Watling's Island because there was a pirate named Captain Watling, well pirate slash sea captain named Watlan, and he used to be called that. But anyway he discovered he called it San Salvador. And like I said, I've spent i haven't been back there in a few years, but spent about ten twelve years out there.
Speaker 2: Beautiful place.
Speaker 3: So he hit he hits what's known as San Salvador first.
Speaker 2: And then goes then goes down and hits like Cuba, what else Dominican?
Speaker 3: You know all that he first comes to America and what is now Florida, right, yes, Saint Augustine that I don't know that I don't know, but you know made a couple made like three actually death and three total voyages there and back. That's sort of sorry, I forgot my fourth grade I was that we learned about that fourth grade.
Speaker 1: Probably the kid's learning the name more. I wonder why, well, yeah, we know now A lot of the the dirt on I do know this on Columbus came about from the author Howard Zinn. He was the first author that said, you know, Christopher Columbus, you know, killed all these No, no, not that he was the one that was for all. You know that we kind of, in his opinion, brought to light all the atrocities against the Native American people. Blah blah blah. We're kind of going on his word. There's like like only I think like Christopher Columbus's actual diary. Other than that, there's no reporter out there saying, well, on day he took those You know, we assume that that happened, as it has many times throughout history, but it was before journalism was running right exactly, so pretty still a pretty monumental discovery.
Speaker 2: Will celebrate him.
Speaker 3: Your state capital is named after him, right, well, remember when they tried to remember when there was a movement that changed the name. Oh yeah of this Columbus, Ohio.
Speaker 2: I didn't go very far.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't, No, sure didn't. Nonetheless so much people could see the look you just gave me. Yeah, that ale sarcastic.
Speaker 2: But that's why this is a radio. So yeah.
Speaker 1: So James Franklin, the head coach of Penn State, over the weekend, fired and it's crazy three weeks ago, just three weeks ago, how fast things can change. Number two in the country, Number two in the country, you know, getting ready to play. They play Oregon and actually are like like could have should have kind of won that game. Yever, game I think until last week is one of the best teams in the country. Didn't pass three seasons James Franklin eleven and two, ten and three. Last year thirteen and three with two playoff wins, ranked number one, number two in the country. Preseason was as high as two officially three losses, canned and a forty nine million dollar buyout.
Speaker 2: And I looked this up, Jason.
Speaker 1: So there have been seven FBS schools that have fired their head coaches. Okay, so James Franklin fired from Penn State, Mike Gundy from Oklahoma State, Sam Pittman from Arkansas, Brent Pry from Virginia Tech, to Shan Foster from UCLA, Trent Dilferd from UAB, and Trent Bray from Oregon State. And all of those buyout money totals are one hundred million dollars, one hundred million dollars in payment going to coaches who are going to coach for those universities. Your thoughts, it's that's going to go up here fairly soon. When Billy Napier gets canned at Florida, I was reading a piece in the USA did Ay Blake top Meyer.
Speaker 2: It was a really good column.
Speaker 3: Uh, Norville at Florida State right there, Luke Fickle. Uh, all those guys have high buyouts, but not not. There was a couple of there was was it Fickles? It was kind of like, whoa, I'm surprised it's that low. Is it high?
Speaker 2: Is it high? Okay? I thought it was that was one of those guys. I was like, oh, I mean they're all high.
Speaker 3: But I was like, oh, you thought like with those being kind of I don't really see Wisconsin as being an upper echelon.
Speaker 2: But whatever.
Speaker 1: Uh see him bringing Belichick. So with all those toe and then the article I saw maybe he saw the same one. They're saying it could it could approach two hundred million by the end of the year, and that and that that. As I was thinking about this last night and I heard you and Willie talk about it. Now we're we're sitting here talking about it.
Speaker 2: It just it comes back to me. This is something I've thought about a lot.
Speaker 3: I used to cover, used to you know, be the beat beat reporter for college sports, and the amount of like colleges like it's they operate in all reality when it comes to finances.
Speaker 1: Businesses out there fire their CEO and pay them forty nine million dollars to walk away.
Speaker 2: You hear it.
Speaker 3: But it's like Goldman Sacks or like it's like the biggest of the big and it's like, but I mean this is this is on the athletic side, of the non athletic side. Any start you think about it, You're like, what other what other industry or organization or whatever in America? Certainly in America, Uh, do you get money from and this is obviously state schools, but you get money from private donors, you get money from tuition from students, you get money from the state government, you get money from the federal government, you get money from corporations.
Speaker 2: You get in and you.
Speaker 3: Can even expand that and say you a money from ticket sales and all. It's like what other world gets that kind of revenue stream from that various different uh you know, pots of money or.
Speaker 2: Whatever, you know.
Speaker 3: And it's like and then I think it has just skewed like all sense of reality when it comes to and like, who's made you know, so the athletic director at Penn State. I'm sure this wasn't just made yesterday. I mean, this guy's been crunching numbers with some big donors or and you know we you know, sarcastically, James Franklin's nickname Big Game James, because he's what one in eighteen or something against top five teams in his time at Penn State. So this has been you know, this is this, This wasn't this decision wasn't made with the snap of a finger yesterday, but it was made probably fairly quickly. Right there are number two three weeks ago, so you know, generally speak but even in a matter of three weeks or a matter of two weeks or a week, you can decide like we're going to pay this guy forty nine, Like where does that? It's beyond comprehension to think where is that money coming from? And how are you able to make that decision? But it's just saying like, yeah, we can do that and be financially viable. It shows you that the people that are upset, the people that are upset enough where the AD takes their call, it has to listen to them. They have a lot of money and they're saying, hey, this isn't acceptable. Yeah, and then it becomes this isn't acceptable. We're getting embarrassed. And then it becomes this isn't acceptable. We're getting embarrassed.
Speaker 1: And you know what, me and five other guys will pay the money to get rid of this problem and restore confidence back in this program. But you're right, there's no other industry where like this kind of heavy hitter type money comes in and swoops in and pays a guy to.
Speaker 2: Do nothing right.
Speaker 3: And you think about, you know, are some of our major companies when they buy out a CEO, Right, You're like, okay, so I'm saying like a Goldman Sachs or something, act like.
Speaker 2: A major, major international player. Those are only a handful.
Speaker 3: But you're looking at like you look at like all these universities and colleges and the you know in Penn State certainly is in the upper echelon of yeah there would consider I'd consider them a blue blood right of college football.
Speaker 2: But this is just where does this stop?
Speaker 3: Because this is going to keep happening to and then just you throw on top of all the skewed finances and reality world of money and college athletics. Then you're throwing in il and you throw on the pressure of winning. As we said three weeks ago, uh, you know, James Franklin was number two in the country, number three in the country. Uh, just a handful of months ago he had won some playoff games, and now all of a sudden Boom snapped the fingers.
Speaker 2: You can give them forty.
Speaker 3: Nine million dollars and so you know, you basically like you lose two or three games in a row in today's world, and we can make it because of the NIL and the amount of money.
Speaker 2: That will all just shoose you how much money some people make.
Speaker 1: The people that are that are close to these universities and are alumni and care so much about what happens with the football croud they make so much money they can step in and do this. And I said this earlier with Willie. What I've been told by ads and football people is well, now because of nil and the fact that team, the number one thing that moves these recruits is the money.
Speaker 2: Coaches will get a little bit longer lease.
Speaker 1: They'll get a longer leash because in this case, a Penn State or any team doesn't want to spend forty nine million.
Speaker 2: Dollars to buy out a coach.
Speaker 1: They'd rather take that forty nine million and buy some players with it over the next six years. That was what was I've been told, That's what was kind of promised. That's not what's happening, yeah at all. Like these coaches have even a smaller lease argue then they use to which again makes it all the more crazier how how big the money comes in, and just kind of just like that just kind of yeah, you know, kind of solves the problem and let's move on.
Speaker 2: Yep, Luke Fickles buy out.
Speaker 3: By the way, I'm looking at USA today, twenty seven million dollars.
Speaker 2: Wisconsin don't have twenty seven million. You could argue to pay him, or do they?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 1: I would have said two weeks ago, I would have said there's no way. But but now we're seeing all these these guys getting released.
Speaker 3: You say, maybe Mike Norvel down at Florida State, his buyout is fifty eight million dollars. Thank you, Jimmy Sexton, the super agent for college football coaches, at some point that that's the thing that needs to happen. Like and I guess it's a leverage thing. If you're a coach in a top school, once you and you're the the you're the top guy name out there, you kind of call your own shots. But these these ads.
Speaker 1: Should be hell responsible for given those kind of contracts and just just.
Speaker 2: Eating that amount of money. I don't envy.
Speaker 3: I don't envy the athletic directors at all today's world too, because it's like you're balancing all these things. How long do you give a coach? I mean, look at Scott Sadderfield. How long was John Cunningham sitting there saying how much longer do I give this guy?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 3: Now they're five and one and you know, so it's like, okay, little patients. I know it's still there's still a lot of season left, but all right, things seem to be trending in the right now.
Speaker 1: That's a tough gigs is one of the big money guy called and said, listen, this is unaccepted.
Speaker 2: When you better do this. It takes a strong person.
Speaker 1: I nope, We're gonna hold out to stay the course, but I think fewer and fewer ads have that.
Speaker 2: All let's go and check some trafficking weather. How are we looking?
Speaker 9: When are you going to start coaching? That's what I want exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean this place pays me, so nevermind.
Speaker 9: Yeah, of course, yes, you got coaches money here. Sure from the youth he.
Speaker 1: The four o'clock news, We're going to check on checking in with our good friend Dan Snell he's a political expert, and talk about you know, Trump and the hostage negotiations and getting those twenty Israeli hostages back and good news on the front and ask him what to do about the government stoppage and what should happen with all that was discussed some politics with Dan here at four o'clock, but I wanted to discuss real quick.
Speaker 2: You know him, I know him. A lot of folks have.
Speaker 1: You don't know him, you've at least heard him calling games. Jim Kelly, Bearcat legend, passed away today, seventy two years old, seventy two. I mean he was the leading receiver here with the Bearcats seventy three to seventy five.
Speaker 2: Early in life. He was a ball boy.
Speaker 1: I mean he just, I mean literally was the personification of UC athletics. And got a chance to talk with him here and there over the years. Tremendous guy, I said with Willie. I know his son, Dave Kelly very very well. He was our spotter for my ESPN games for three seasons. He was my play by play guy, my play by play guy, Clay Maviick.
Speaker 2: It was his spot er.
Speaker 1: So I worked with Dave twenty games, A year for three years, and you talk about like that's a hard gig. So spotter, if you don't know, is someone who He's the extra set of eyes in the booth. So if you're you're looking at him to play with, like who made the tackle? There was that number thirty two or thirty three, I don't know. He's there to kind of say point to the number. But he was more than just the guy who pointed to who made the tackle. He like had incredible football knowledge. And literally twice a game I would talk to Dave, I'd say, take my head set off and say what am I missing?
Speaker 2: What do I not? And he'd be like, well, hey remember this happening. Boom good.
Speaker 1: Thanks anyway, So I know Dave more than I know Jim. But the times I've talked to Jim, just a tremendous, tremendous guy.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: I loved him, loved him, loved listening to him. I told him this. Yeah, a few years ago, I thought I thought he was honestly like, he was a very very good color analyst on football. I thought he was very underrated. Yes, you know, do you see football all those years in this town not being a big thing. But he was there, and they had him on our podcasts at the Inquirer a few years ago. It was before the Notre Dame game, and at the moment they won that game, the first thing I thought about was him, because this is a guy who as a player, his dad being an administrator and a coach there for so many years, saw the worst of the worst. Was there when they lost eighty one and nothing at Penn State. Was there and all those times when almos should you see drop football? Was there when people were making funny you see when no one was coming to the games. When I was a freshman in college, I remember at UC like empty stadium and but gone at Jim Kelly was there, yep, and believing and believing honest with honesty.
Speaker 2: He gave everybody else some belief and a lot of folks.
Speaker 3: True ambassador for the university, for the football program.
Speaker 2: You'll be missed. He's the best.
Speaker 3: And again thoughts to his family and we say god speed.
Speaker 2: Did a great Jim Kelly.
Speaker 1: And with that the new seven hundred WLW alongside Jason Williams, and we're tracking down our guest here, Dan Snell, to discuss I'm pretty historic going on right with the ceasefire that was negotiated by Trump and the the freeing of what upwards of twenty hostages that have been in captivity for two and a half years now. And I mean we're sitting here in the in the studio and on the TVs we're seeing some of these videos which are absolutely incredible of of you know, these folks getting reunited with with their their families, which is a a great, great thing to see in order to discuss this and much much more.
Speaker 2: We always enjoy talking with him.
Speaker 1: He's our political export expert, the Winso Way, the Winso candidate. I'm so excited Dan that I stumbled over my words there. But we're excited to talk to you, Dan Snell. Welcome to the program.
Speaker 2: How are you? Thank you, Rocky.
Speaker 7: I'm doing great, good to be with you and Jason. Yeah. There are probably sometimes that people want to export me, in my opinions, they want to get me out of the country. But I'm always happy to be with you. And an exciting day in the world, isn't it today? As you said, the hugs and the cheers and the tears and the excitement of what took place there. Whatever your viewpoint on politics, President Trump and the United States having put this together should be should be cheered. And we have our challenges, but this day is a good day for Donald Trump and the United States and Israel and the world.
Speaker 1: So, Dan, I mean kind of encapsulate that I put this into perspective for us. I mean, you're talking about two sides that have been at each other's throats like since the beginning of time and there's now a ceasefire. Just putting into perspective what the I guess the magnitude of.
Speaker 7: This Yeah, yeah, Literally a biblical perspective is the history of these two nations and the fight over there. And if Donald Trump can bring it together and keep it together. I think the key is keeping things together to get both sides. Certainly, there's going to be moments, right There's going to be people are going to be agitated over this or that and disagreement. But if we can keep it together, it is a breakthrough. And especially if they can find a pathway to get Gaza redeveloped in a way that allows some people to come home, it's going to be It is a giant thing for the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dan, this is a bigger, broader question, you know, we tend to want to get in the weed about Donald Trump here in America, but on the global scale, this is just an incredible, incredible feat. And this is something that you know, fifty years from now in the history books they'll be talking about Donald Trump as a peacemaker in the Middle East and where does all that come from from him? And how in the heck has he been able to do that?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, he has a strong personality and he can pick up the phone as the most powerful man in the world, pick up the phone and try to talk to people, encourage people. And I think that he probably laid down the law with Israel with regards to some of the things that they were doing that were causing upset in the Middle East and even here in America. And yet he also for Hamas said you know, no Moss, Hamas, no Moss, do not do what you're doing anymore, or it will You'll be obliterated. So he has the strength of character and personality to do that. And long long term, yeah, I'm old enough to remember that for a long time, Jimmy Carter was considered the peacemaker and he had the piece accords at the White House, and so Trump has an opportunity and next year, yes, at this stage he probably will win the Nobel Peace Prize, and so things will be calmer in the world and hopefully in the United States. We can carry that over into these budget these budget hearings, maybe we can get some negotiations and communication improved there.
Speaker 1: Now, Now, Dan, you said earlier, the big question is, yes, how long does this last? My opinion and thought is, of course from the Israelis point of view, it'll continue forever and unless they are bombed or fired upon. Right, so they're perfectly happy with just not messing with Amas and you guys go stay over there, We'll stay over here. But so it really comes down to Palestine and Hamas, Right, do you think that they will What is their incentive, whether by force or otherwise, what is their incentive to keep this peace deal?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Well, and they may feel like they want to keep peace, but there are players. There is evil in the world. Then it come might be outside of Hamas and the Palestinians, and it could be someone from US, you know, Iran Led or someone that's a terrorist group that has nothing to do with those, but yet who will get blamed is Hamas and the Palestinians, and so Israel excellent in their intelligence in the world, as the United States is.
Speaker 2: Pretty good too.
Speaker 7: We need to just make sure that we don't blame be quick to blame one side or the other. But my you know, I think the world's prayers that we can have this finally be at peace.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean you referenced it earlier.
Speaker 3: I mean, fighting in some form or fashion in the Middle East has been going on since the biblical times. So what role now does Donald Trump play? I mean, you know, you go in there and you broke her this deal. What role does he in America play in now for this to be able to sustain and continue on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you know they've organized a group that's going to manage the process or control and Donald Trump is going to be the chairman of that. And of course, I say with a smile. As a developer, he's always got to twinkle in his eye because he sees that that opportunity that something could be developed there, and I'm sure part of him thinks, oh, maybe his family could be a part of that development. And they do a good job in development, so that's possible. And if it would help bring that to a quicker resolution of redevelopment, then maybe that's the way to do it. But the United States has to have this calm, steady, firm hand addressing all sides to keep this so it doesn't blow up again.
Speaker 1: Well, to your point, it's going to take someone that is as strong as Donald Trump, if it's not himself, you know, his predecessor, someone who is strong and respected and dare I say feared in order for this to because as soon as someone you know, God forbid, steps back in the White House who's a weak person a week leader, all this stuff just ramps back up.
Speaker 2: So that's I mean, that's essentially what we've got to hope for.
Speaker 1: Here, Dan snows our guests here, Now, Dan, let's turn back here to UH to the United States, and there's a government shutdown going on. So after Trump has negotiated this peace deal uh here in in in Gaza with Israel, what what what are some of the things he should focus on here in the unit in the United States in terms of getting the government shut down back on negotiating with the other side.
Speaker 2: How do you see it?
Speaker 7: You know, certainly, if I'm Donald Trump, I come home and I say gush, if I can broke her peace in the most long standing battle of the I can. I can certainly bring people into my office and and broker and negotiate, and you know, is not a dirty where, It's not a four letter word. And I think that what the first thing has to do is we need to just get the president or someone to say, let's sit around the table and let's not leave this table until we have a compromise to get things opened up. And the Democrats are probably asking for a little bit too much. And I think that Mike Johnson, I think some of the words that are being used to constantly blame both sides, blame each other.
Speaker 2: That doesn't do any good.
Speaker 7: Just get everybody in the room and President Trump. He's got momentum, right Moe is wearing red. And if momentum can he can carry that into these negotiations, then I think that would be another win. So he's got a win abroad, and he could have a win at home if he would be the top negotiator in his office or somewhere of this budget shutdown.
Speaker 3: I totally agree with you, Dan that the momentum is wearing red right now, because I think everyday Americans, I mean, are you near feeling this or you have you even really thought is it have package your life? And so to me that that hands it to the majority party politically right, And I think the Democrats are sitting here thinking they can maybe make political hay out of this as you turn the corner into and then you know, in the next year's election year. But I don't see that happening. How about but you're the expert on the stand, what do you make of that?
Speaker 7: Well, some people might export me for this, but again, but for the studies are the polls show that seventy percent of Americans do believe that specifically on the case of helping those that are on the government healthcare Obamacare, if you want to call it that, because I know people personally, a couple of friends of mine and my daughter is self employed that she is on that program and her race with what now that's going to happen. The reason they have to address just that right now is because if they don't address it now and they wait for weeks to figure that out, then the rates will go up. So they have to make a commitment that they're going to stand with the support to not increase that now that's the only thing the Democrats should ask for, and forget all this other things they're asking for, but just take care of the seventy percent of Americans do say, hey, we think on healthcare we need to those subsidies need to stay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But do the majority of Americans think that Americans and to say taxpayers should be paying for health care for illegal aliens, The polls I've seen say they do not.
Speaker 7: Well, that's a separate issue too, The illegal aliens issue, separate from the subsidies for those Americans who are buying healthcare through the portals now through the healthcare dot gov for instance, somebody that might be paying three hundred and sixty dollars a month now it could go up to six hundred seven hundred dollars if that's substantie isn't remain That's separate. That's from healthcare for your neighbors and my neighbors. And probably fifteen percent of the listeners that we have here today could be on that and so the other items with regards to illegal aliens getting any type of extended healthcare. No, I don't think anybody you're right, No one agrees that that should take place now emergency room issue. Ronald Reagan my hero, you know right about him. In the Wins of Candidate Ronald Reagan says, we won't deny somebody bleeding in an emergency room, but then then they have to leave after we've gotten them stabilized. That's one thing. But this extended care and some of the other things for different types of citizens, we need to look at that. But first, let's just take care of the the Jimmy Jones and Sally Smith that are on healthcare dot gov.
Speaker 2: Hey man, dance now listen. We really appreciate your time.
Speaker 1: The wins some way, the wins some candidate folks want to find out more about.
Speaker 2: You and what you have going on.
Speaker 1: And I know you got a lot going on, Dan, So tell folks how they can get more in touch with you and what you have coming down the pipe.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 7: Sure, well. The books are available on Amazon or Barnes and Noble wherever they can go to the win some candidate, they wins candidate dot com. Learn a little bit about me and my beliefs for a fresher positive start for America. And I'm working on something maybe we've talked about down the road. There are probably seventy three percent of your listeners or either a single parent or have gone through divorce or in a blended family step family. I'm working on a national program for that that will really impact hearts in a positive way. So that's for another day. It's always good to be with WLW. You know, win some starts with WWLW. You got lots of w's there. I can never go wrong being with you, Rocky and Jason, and say hi to Eddie, say hi to Cambreu. And great to be with.
Speaker 1: You guys man, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Okay them, Yep, you got thanks Dan, Dan Snello. He's right.
Speaker 1: He breaks things down in a pretty easily understandable way.
Speaker 2: With those stuff he does. Let's go and check some trafficking weather.
Speaker 1: How are we looking, Jason Williams and Jason, you have a Mark Sanchez sort of kind of updated.
Speaker 3: Yes, the mother of his eight year old son has taken to Instagram and Mark Sanchez of course.
Speaker 2: Uh incident he was with he's with what Fox.
Speaker 3: He was getting ready to call the game and uh got stabbed, got into an incident with someone on the street at the hotel and just was released. Uh we just I saw a video of the local TV station just recently. But she has Aaron her name is She is a a UK supermodel. Aaron Campanias took to social medium basically like said that she's isn't surprised by this with Mark Sanchez and that I am aware of the serious criminal charges currently facing my son's father, Mark Sanchez. My first, my foremost priority has always been and remains our eight year old son Daniel. I chose to remain silent publicly to protect him. Not everything is out in the open. My focus hasn't changed. I've always been concerned for his safety and for what he is exposed to. Sadly, none of this is surprising to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like I've heard a lot of people talk about recently he has you know, he has trouble with alcohol and you know that that sort of thing which was a factor and the last thing, no matter what exactly the circumstances are, so yeah, I just can't. It can't be at his age, you know, two days before a game, out at twelve thirty at night, like like what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Like like go.
Speaker 3: Home at thirty eight years old, thirty eight years old, go back to hotel, get a good night's sleep and and do your job. So I didn't realize this, but reading the story of him and his wife for expecting twins right now, yeah, that's not good. All right now, we will take a break. We'll come back. We have more seven hundred Wow.
Speaker 1: Five o'clock news, the one the only Dave Lapper voice up. Bengals, Gonna break it all down for us and maybe preview the Thursday night game. Big Thursday night game. Jason in store, Pittsburgh Steelers huge, Sorry Bengals heavy warp every team you mentioned, It's like it's your that's right. Until then, Jason, what was the the longest you've ran in one?
Speaker 3: Thirteen miles? Was my p I ran cross believe it or not, Rock I ran cross country in high school.
Speaker 2: I don't believe it.
Speaker 3: I did just kidding, it was all It was only to get ready for basketball.
Speaker 2: So is that officially half marathon? Thirteen months? That would have been?
Speaker 3: That was like my PR We had a PR day every year, And that was the most I ever did in one run.
Speaker 1: Well, you got me be because honestly, the most I've ever run in one instance is probably about five miles.
Speaker 2: That's good. I was a Saint accent.
Speaker 1: Tracks we ran, you know, I you know, down North Bend Road there and you know, all the way and then you know, back up the hill, back up the hill. The whole thing was a grind. Yeah, but no, I've never been a good at distance guy. I've you know, in sprint, never been a good distance guy. But uh, by the way, if you have ran a significant amount of distance in one sitting, call the show five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, because I'm about to tell you about history being made Jason. In the world of ultra marathoning. These are sounds like a blast marathons that are like over two hundred miles and like okay, and this this guy named Killian Course, Okay, and he just won the Moab to forty Okay, which, as the name states, is a two hundred and forty mile.
Speaker 2: Run to a forty mile run.
Speaker 3: Yes, Holy yes, And the he did two hundred forty miles in two days, three hours, in twenty eight minutes.
Speaker 2: That's the amount of time he was running.
Speaker 1: Now, he during the course of those two days he stopped for a grand total of seven hours and twelve minutes.
Speaker 2: But but but running, he was running for a grand.
Speaker 1: Total of a course of two two plus days, two days, three hours, twenty eight minutes. Okay, now he has actually won the triple crown of Ultra marathoning.
Speaker 2: Okay, he won the why why why? Uh See?
Speaker 1: He ran the Tahoe two hundred durance race in fifty two hours, forty minutes and fifty two seconds. He ran the Big Foot two hundred endurance race that's about two hundred and eight miles, has an elevation game of of forty five thousand feet, did that in forty five hours, three minutes, forty one seconds, and he only won that race by forty two minutes. And then he lastly won the Moab two forty So that's a grand total of four hundred and eight point one miles, grabbing the the triple crown.
Speaker 2: So, and we have called, and you have answered, Let's go to the phones.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Connie in the great area of town Cleaves where I used to live. And now, Connie, you are an ultra marathon or is that correct?
Speaker 5: I am in on the west side and there are actually many ultrarunners in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Really, so there's like a whole like, yes, group of you guys you guys that are crazy insane.
Speaker 5: Yes, And the crazy thing is it starts to become normal when you hang around in a group like this, and it's actually not normal.
Speaker 2: No, it's not normal at all. So how did you find out? How did you like run cross country?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: How did you find out you wanted to run one hundred plus miles at a time kind of thing?
Speaker 5: Which I actually have and it's a painful sport. But I think most people around here would say that they started doing, you know, road marathons, and then started hearing about this trail running and then you just kind of get sucked into it.
Speaker 2: Is what happens.
Speaker 3: It show sounds like addicting, almost like you're just well, it's it, yeah, energy, you know runners, high runners high yeah, adrelline.
Speaker 5: Run well yeah sort of. So then you're like, okay, twenty six point two, and then you're like, oh a fifty k well that's thirty one, and then oh a fifty miler and then wait a minute, one hundred miler and then it gets really crazy. I mean, do you guys know there's like three hundred milers now.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Well it's like the one of the two forty was it the MOAB two forty Yeah, yep, So that's that's like running from Cincinnati to Cleveland. Cleveland's two hundred and forty nine miles from Cincinnati. It's almost as space.
Speaker 5: Right, So there's that triple crown of two hundreds which you just mentioned, but then this monster came along last year, which is three hundred and the interest. The thing that people don't know about it maybe is it's very expensive to do something like that.
Speaker 2: So explain that.
Speaker 1: Do you have like a team of people that meet you and give you water while you're running or sandwich or how's that work?
Speaker 5: So crewe and pacers. So crewe are people like you know, for Rocky, maybe your friend Jonathan or something would come and be with you at these aid stations and help you out. But then a pacer is someone who would actually be with you on the course, doing it with you, keeping you company overnight so that you don't fall asleep and that kind of stuff off.
Speaker 3: So wait, what wouldn't it be the other way around then? Like or is is a pac or something with that is the pacer running or is it or on a bike?
Speaker 5: No, the pacer is run like for this Moab two forty the pacer is with the runner for probably the last one hundred miles. Let's say they're allowed to jump.
Speaker 7: In and pace.
Speaker 2: Oh so they're not with you the entire time.
Speaker 5: No, it's usually like halfway through us I can jump in and be with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But like multiple pacers come right, and their job is to run at a whatever the standard is for a shorter amount of time, right, and keep you up to that, and then maybe another one comes in right, yes, or.
Speaker 5: If you're a good runner, like you know, there's a lot of good Cincinnati runners, maybe they jump in with you for a whole fifty miles or one hundred miles or something like that. It just depends.
Speaker 1: Now, explain to us conne if you can, like, like just from a biological standpoint, like what happens to your body from experience as you're running, is I mean your knees, your hips, your ankle, is your feet, Like, tell me all the things.
Speaker 2: That go on there.
Speaker 5: I actually just did this yesterday in Indiana, and it's all fun and games at one hundred let's say, until the last thirty miles and then you just kind of get a little tired of the whole thing. But what people don't talk about too is the recovery from it that takes a few days.
Speaker 2: I imagine what's the part of your body that takes the most damage?
Speaker 5: Though it sort of depends on what the weather is maybe that day, you know, is it muddy as heck?
Speaker 4: Is it dry?
Speaker 5: But a lot of times it's your feet, especially if it's raining. You really got to try to You're trying to put out a lot of fires. You know, if you're running for thirty hours, let's say on one hundred miler, you're putting out a lot of fires.
Speaker 3: So are there rules about you know, you can stop and take because you're talking about the mo ab to forty and I know that's not a hundred, Like that's double that?
Speaker 2: Are you ab is like five days?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So are you you're allowed to stop or like what are the rules around that?
Speaker 3: I assume there's rules around that, Right You're allowed to stop for only X amount of time at X amount of points?
Speaker 2: Or is it just you can do your own.
Speaker 5: Pace at a race like that? There are actually sleep stations, okay, where you know they have all this great food for you that they cook, but you can actually take a nap for you know, whatever three hours, but in one hundred mile or let's say, if you're a slower runner, you don't have time to take a nap. You're running from like six in the morning to say noon in the next day, which is can be a long way long time.
Speaker 2: So you have done one hundred miles, so you've run for what over twenty four hours?
Speaker 5: Well, I have, but again there are a lot of people way better than me in Cincinnati. But you just you know, I guess we all just kind of have a passion for it, really, which is.
Speaker 7: What you need.
Speaker 2: Kind This is great radio.
Speaker 1: No, I much respect to you because that's something I feel like I can. There's a lot of things I can and will do that will never be one of them. I could never approach it. I have the utmost respect for anybody that can.
Speaker 3: To me, it's not the physical side would would be absolutely growing, but mentally to do that and keep your mind clear, and that would be the thing I think that would attack a lot of people.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, but obviously you were in the NFL, so you know about the mental Come on now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but at games three and a half hours, not three days.
Speaker 3: Say, I'm in daily journalism, I know about the mental Yeah right, yeah, well look.
Speaker 5: I respect both of you. I love the show. I listen every day, and ultra running is a crazy thing, but it's just it's a hobby like anything else, and everybody has different hobbies.
Speaker 2: Well, Connie, listen.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate you calling and sharing your story with us, and God bless you that that is truly true, very very cool.
Speaker 2: Thank you you both.
Speaker 5: You both take care bright.
Speaker 2: Thank you Connie. That was awesome. That was great.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I love what Connie back for the next time they do big ye.
Speaker 1: Run or yeah Connie, next whatever, the next ultra marathon race coming up is call the show in a couple of days a week before we'll talk.
Speaker 2: To you about and the whole thing.
Speaker 1: We could have kept her because I had more question like well here, here, let's go to Cincinnati and talk to John. John, there's someone you know that was a like a distance runner Ultra Marathon.
Speaker 6: I didn't know her personally, but she taught my daughter how to swim at the Blue Ash Why and I think that's about thirteen miles to downtown and she and he and they lived a little bit further out than that even but she would run with her girlfriend to the marathon, run the whole marathon, twenty six miles whatever, and then run back.
Speaker 2: Run back home.
Speaker 6: I was like, fifty two fifty two plus miles.
Speaker 4: Wow, she was a little thing.
Speaker 6: She was as probably as close to anarexic other than being anorexic.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean she she was so skinny. Couldn't believe it.
Speaker 6: She's probably in her twenties, you know, firefoot maybe, I mean she's well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and John, thank you.
Speaker 1: You can't be a big gallery guy and run a marathon, especially in ultra marathon.
Speaker 2: I thought my little cross country runs were her feet. I loved it.
Speaker 3: I'm just telling a dad this. He coaches with me and his younger son runs a cross country I was like, yeah, those are a lot of cross country meets are a lot of fun. And I said this when I was a kid growing up, I loved everything about cross country except the running.
Speaker 2: The meats are black.
Speaker 10: See.
Speaker 1: But to me, I have a vivid memory of being at football practice at st. Ex High School and being out there and seeing the cross country runners and you see one, and then you know, you have like forty five minutes of practice and you see the guy again.
Speaker 2: And I always thought to him.
Speaker 1: I always had the utmost respect for those guys because I could never do it, and I thought to myself the bigger challenges in football. There's different stuff you work on, like like on Wednesday you work on first and ten and then you work on red zone and at cross country practice show all yeah, and the coach says, guess what.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do today.
Speaker 1: Guys, We're gonna guess what we're doing tomorrow, run and then the next day run yeah.
Speaker 2: So again, just.
Speaker 1: Every single day, that's what you're doing. Mad respect, Mad respect. All right, let's go ahead and check some All right, Welcome back to News Radio seven hundred WL. You're rocking alongside Jason Williams. Coming up after the top of the hour news lap, we'll join us to break it all down the Bengals game yesterday. We got about a minute here, Jason. There's been some breaking news involved in Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 3: Justin thanks for our news guy Jack Cromley for popping in learning this to this is that the Cleveland Browns owners Jimmy and d Haslam, have reached a one hundred million dollars settlement with the city of Cleveland to officially move the team from Cleveland out to the suburbs brook Park by the airport there in Cleveland. Yeah, they've already cleared so many other hurdles, but this was one where, you know, there's a lot of little bureaucratic things, a silly Modell wall that says you couldn't move a team after Art Modell moved the team to Baltimore, and even you couldn't move a team from you know, a city out to even the same region in a suburb. I knew that was really a nothing burger. But ultimately the Haslms have agreed over three decades to pay one hundred million dollars. The first payment will become this December of twenty five million, and that is to tear down the current stadium and redevelop that area where the stadium is right now on the lake front there Cleveland. So it'll pay one hundred million dollars hundred million dollars just to be able to move the stadium, just to be able to move to their suburban two point four billion billion dollars stadium covered stadium out by Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, brook Park, Ohio.
Speaker 2: How we looking, I don't know exactly where that is But.
Speaker 3: If you're if you if you're if you're looking, if you're on seventy one going north, you know you're looking at fifteen twenty minutes out of downtown, still in Cuyahoga County.
Speaker 2: It's just right there.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: It's it's still the it's still Greater Cleveland area. It's just a bigger suburban area where you can big, big lots of acreage to build township like Liberty Township.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. You'll get some more updates on that as the days go on. But right now, the news seven hundred WLW right at the gate at three o'clock. But it wouldn't be a Monday if we didn't check in with our next guest, the one, the only, the voice of the Bengals, Dave Lap, him and get his opinion on what transpired yesterday.
Speaker 2: Lap.
Speaker 8: How are you, guys? How the heck you doing today? Having a good day? I hope.
Speaker 2: To hear you good one, Lap.
Speaker 1: Now, I've I listened to you, listen to you a lot over the year's Lap, and you're often fond of talking about a tale of two halves, right, and that game yesterday, Lap was the personification of a tail of two halves from I mean, it'side the offense. The defense was pretty good, first half, offense not good, and then they switched. But either way it ended in the result it did, which was a Bengals fourth straight loss.
Speaker 8: Yeah, four straight losses. That that's a butt kicker, no question about that. I don't think the football team expected to go on a four game losing streak at this stage of the season. There's no doubt about that. And what the biggest problem is, like you say, it's it's non complimentary football. You know, they're just not playing a complete game. One side of the football is not supporting the other. When one side struggles, the other is not there to lift them, and uh and vice versas. So until they get that figured out, until they start playing a complete football game and on a series by serious snap by snap basis, they're gonna be in trouble.
Speaker 2: And now Lapp I thought, and I'm sure you did too.
Speaker 1: Flaco played great as he got, you know, more comfortable in a very short quick amount of time. Was pedestrian the first half, which is understandable because of a short amount of time with a team. Second half, he was great twenty one to thirty and seventy nine yards, two tds, no interceptions.
Speaker 3: I wanted to ask you this though, Lap, What's what's your experience as alignman playing with different quarterbacks, Like one one week you're playing with this guy, next week you're playing with that guy. Is there a difference in how the line plays or their mentality?
Speaker 8: That's good question, Rock. I mean, it's I have done that, and you know Kenny Anderson and Perk showing it. This was the first situation that I experienced that way, and it is it's different. There's an adjustment. There's an adjustment for the offensive line. There's an adjustment for the quarterback playing with that offensive line. You know, the cadence that the quarterback has is different. His his voice is different, the emphasis on whatever part of the cadence is different. And there's there's pauses, you know, different pauses in the cadence that that you know, make it it sound different. So it's it's not as easy as people think. It's not just roll out of bed and go play quarter Go play as an offensive line in front of a quarterback that you never played with before, and it's it's the timing of the fluidity is just out there. You know, it's not it's not as smooth that as it should be. And I thought, like you that boy once once Joe Flacco got his sea legs under him. Uh, he played very well, and I thought, you know, he gave them a chance to win, honestly in the second half in particular, and uh, you know, defense, special teams, the other two phases just didn't step up enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I laugh.
Speaker 3: I think there's i know, in the middle of a four game losing streak, but just looking at Joe Flacco and the front office going out and getting him and then what he did there in the second half, obviously making that adjustment fifteen completions to the two big stars, Chase and Higgins, the guy he can find those guys didn't do the interception. There's a lot I think can be taken from this with Joe Flacco moving forward, especially here in a short week as they turn around, they're going to come home for three games. There's a silver lying there right with him, and that there's hope for this offense to kind of get back going. Maybe not at the level of Joe Burrow, but certainly, you know, get it going and it could be solid.
Speaker 8: I agree Jase, there's no question that it could be solid, you know, and you look at it. He had no turnovers, didn't throw an interception, didn't didn't lose the football, didn't fumble it. Neither did any of his teammates in the running back positioning tight end or a wide receiver spot. But you know, that's that's uh that's that's pretty good. That's that's pretty good ball. And you know, not taking a quarterback sack as big, you know, you don't. You don't put yourself in a uh in you know, down on distance problem, and that's good for the offensive coordinator or play caller and everybody involved there as well. So I think that uh, I thought he played again well enough to win. I thought he played winning football, particularly in the second half. And I just don't think that the other phases UH were were up to the task. I mean, inconsistency is uh is their biggest problem. I mean, it's kind of their their calling card so far this season, you know, I mean, they they just have not on a on a quarter by quarter basis, half by half basis, even series by series basis giving you the same type of performance well.
Speaker 1: Well to your point lap. I mean, so going to halftime as ten to nothing Packers. Bengals get the ball coming out of the third quarter and they get in an absolute groove right seventeen play drive, they have a third down conversion, a fourth down conversion for the touchdown.
Speaker 2: Obviously, okay, boom, it's ten to seven field goal game. We're in this thing. The Packers get the ball and just mo right down the field.
Speaker 1: Boom boom, boom bom boom, touchdown right, So like okay, all right, and then the Bengals, to their credit, get the ball back again right and drive down the field. Now it's what seventeen to seventeen ten, They get a field goal and the Packers just march right back down the field. Now it's twenty four to ten.
Speaker 3: It's just there was no the defense, especially without Trey Henderson, was just nowhere to be found.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, there just was not any conpmary football being played, you know. I mean, it's like, oh, hey, the uh the offense for sleepwalking, but it woke up. But now the defense is in a trance. Man, what the heck? How about if we try to get both phases playing well together at the same time, and and you you mentioned Trey Henderson. I mean, that's a blow man and a back injury. You know, you just never know what backs, uh is it? Is it a spinal column issue? Is it a vertebrae issue? You know, you just you just don't know about those things. And hopefully it's nothing that serious. Hopefully he just maybe you know, sprained a muscle in his back or some kind of a soft tissue injury back there or whatever. But man, you know, I've I've I've seen teammates struggle, uh, dealing with back issues and all of a sudden, you know, you have starting to feel pretty good and then boom it, you have a setback. So sometimes those things can be very very difficult to get get over and deal with.
Speaker 3: You know, you guys talked about just a little bit ago about the offensive line, no sacks for Joe Flak. I keep onaning to say, bro Joe Flacco, Right, Yeah, the offensive line has been maligned and but you know, and I know that the struggles of running the ball. But again, yet another positive I think out of yesterday was the no sacks. But was there something that was there a change that you saw in that unit yesterday that some kind of a tweak or something that helped them to perform better.
Speaker 8: I think I think Flacco helps him really. I mean he get rid of the ball like quickly right now. I mean he was making very quick reads, quick decisions, and the ball was out. I mean if if he had it in his hand over two and a half seconds, that was an upset, you know. And and that's gonna offensive lineman appreciate that, believe me. I mean they're they're around quarterbacks. Yeah, they're loving life there, so uh it's going to be you know interesting. I do think that the offensive line is playing better on a on a week to week basis. I think Scott Peters is helping, you know, them get the thing in sync. You know, not not five components of the offensive line playing individually, but you have to play as a unit. It's like a fist, you know. You just you curl the four fingers four fingers and wrap the thumb and it's just an involuntary reaction. It just happens, you know, naturally. And that's when a good offensive line is is is in rhythm and flowing smoothly. I mean, that's that's what you're that's what it's like to play and and and even just breaking it down to right and left side. Right guard, right tackle working together, left guard, left tackle working together. Uh you know, you take it for granted when it's going well, but it takes a while to get that kind of that kind of chemistry going between offensive linemen. So, uh, you know, if I just think as the season goes on, it's going to continue to improve, I don't think there's gonna be a regression there. I don't think Scott Peters would allow that. So I'm I'm optimistic that you know, the Bengals will play better as an offensive line, Joe Flacco's numbers will be consistently better, and uh, you know, they'll they'll run the football and pass the football and have a balanced offensive attack a lot.
Speaker 1: But a guy on the Bengals defense he didn't see much of was was Logan Wilson And and I didn't really notice it all at the time, but kind of going back and watching it, you know, Barrett Carter, uh right.
Speaker 2: He stepped in for him, but I didn't know he got sixty one snaps? Is that correct?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 2: Did I see that correctly? The rookie linebacker draft pick this year?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think he did you know, and they were the Bengals. Al Golden decided that he was going to try to change things up from a schematic standpoint in terms of the numbers of linebackers and defensive lineman he had out there. You know, he was going four to three some uh four three four and then and then five two four as well, and and kind of changing that up, and even within within one series one set of downs, he'd have both of those configurations out there on the field, trying to confuse the quarterback and slow down, you know, the operation a little bit and and have some confusion with the offensive lineman in terms of, you know, not feeling real secure and real you know, real confident what they were doing in terms of making calls and and and and protecting and getting that run blocking uh uh game called properly and all the things that go along with that. So but Logan Wilson got very very few snaps and Carter good a bunch.
Speaker 2: There's no question lap off off off topic, but you know you're you.
Speaker 3: You work with Dan hard on Sundays or great ambassador uh for your organization, for the Bengals organization, and uh great at breaking the games down the radio did you get to know the guy who worked with with Dan for so many saturdays, you know, on the same radio station and Jim Kelly and great ambassador for the university.
Speaker 2: Did you get to know him at all over the years.
Speaker 8: I did, Yeah, I did. I did get to know Jim Kelly a little bit. I mean he he was a great ambassador for UC. And that's just a great family. That's a family of h you know, unbelievable success from an athletic standpoint, and and then just good people. I mean they're just solid, solid Cincinnati citizens as touched as such, they've made the community a much better, much better place to be. And what a what a sad, sad story. I mean, cancer, that insidious disease. Man, it's it's taken so many lives. There's probably all the people listening, there's probably not one of them from a family standpoint that you know, can say, yeah, we've we've never never been stricken by the disease. I mean, it seems to get everybody. And uh, it's thoughts and prayers and all that go out to the Kelly family for sure.
Speaker 2: A lot before you go.
Speaker 1: And by the way, very very well said about Jim Kelly before we let you go, though, Steelers, you know, quick turn around here Thursday night here at home.
Speaker 2: Steelers have won three straight. In the early thoughts on Pittsburgh here.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I hate him, yeah, you know, but uh, you know, Mike Tomlin, A tip of the cap to that guy. I mean, what what a career he's had. And he's just a quality human being. He's an outstanding individual. There's there's no question about the leader of men. Everybody that's played for Mike Tomlin feels like they're a better person for having done so. He's just he's just one of those guys that you meet during the course of your life that that changes it, you know, and changed it from to a from a positive standpoint, there's no no two ways about that. But yeah, they've they've got everything. Pittsburgh solid as always, you know. I mean, they they can they can run it, they can throw it.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 8: Defensively, they get after it. They've got you know, one of the one of the longest tenured players with his football team on the defensive side in the National Football League, and Cam Hayward. That guy's a stud man, he's a playmaker, he's a he's a nuisance he's a problem. You gotta you gotta put four hands and four eyeballs on that guy to make sure that you have him taken care of on a snap by snap basis, because that dude is a flat out game wrecker. They can run a linebacker. They have good, good people on the back end. It's it's a good football team. It's a proud organization. You know. The Rooney family has done a great job with the Pittsburgh Steelers for years and years and years. I remember playing against the Pittsburgh Steelers when they had guys like me and Joe Green and Ernie Holmes, Jack Lambert, Jack Cam's like, holy crap, man, It's like we're going out here and playing against the Hall of Famers. You know. It's like they're they're all going to be first the first ballot inductees to the Hall of Fame. And they they were. They they are just a talented group. And offensively they Lynn Swann, John Stalworth, Ben Roethlisberg are throwing the football to those guys, Frank O'harris, Rocky Blier. It's it's amazing the number of guys that they had, uh, you know, getting things done for them over the years they've I don't think Mike Thomas had a losing season, so a year in and year out, they just they just they get things done in Pittsburgh. They know what they're doing and you get you get to tip your cap to the to the Rooney family, uh, to the all the scouts that they know exactly what a Pittsburgh Steeler is supposed to be. The Organizationally, they have a you know, they have this is this is exactly, they have a body type. They have all kinds of you know, by position obviously, but I mean they have they have dimensions, they have all kinds of things and attitude. You know, it's like, is this guy a team guy?
Speaker 7: You know he is.
Speaker 8: He got an ego that is hard to deal with. We don't want that. We don't want that poison in our locker room. We want, you know, it to be you know, harmonious. We want it to be a team, team entity. When the Pittsburgh Steelers show up, it's one for all for one. Here we go. There.
Speaker 1: You go to your point about Caam Hayward lab fifteen years in the league playing defensive line. Now, I mean just some quick math, and I know there's some games he missed and this and that, so you figure, you know, there's about seventy plays in the game time, sixteen games times fifteen years, that's almost seventeen thousand times.
Speaker 2: Lab you're getting hit in the face, I mean.
Speaker 3: Demon, he's getting hit in the face every play and he just he's done it for fifteen years.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 8: It is, it really is. And you talk about a guy that you know conditions himself for the game of football. I mean, his workouts are reportedly amazing. They're unbelievable. And you know the endurance that it takes to play football all that time, because you know, defensive lineman they're not running, but they are. They're pursuing plays, they're running all over the field. But to take that pounding, those number of steps all of those years, man, that's got to catch up with you. At some point.
Speaker 2: You would think you would think, well, well that listen, we got a run.
Speaker 1: But really really appreciate your time as always, have a great show tonight, and I'm sure we'll talk again soon.
Speaker 8: Thank you, lap appreciate it, guys.
Speaker 1: Thanks to say it all right, say it the one the only Dave leaven there you go, breaking it down. All right, let's go ahead and check some trafficking weather.
Speaker 2: How are you looking?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 1: Back with Rocky alongside Jason Williams for just a little bit longer, and Jason did want to check in with a good friend from ABC, Alex Stone, and Alex I saw a little bit of this, the helicopter crash in California.
Speaker 2: Tell us what's going on here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, just a crazy scene. What I'm well, So, Saturday afternoon on a really busy beach in Huntington Beach, who was crowded as it always is, crashed from a giant highad resort and they were getting ready for an event called the Cars and Copters, which was on Sunday. But on Saturday, all the choppers were flying in one owned by a guy who is reportedly known in the area for flying his helicopter doing acrobatic quick flybys the buildings in the area. He was landing and then the helicopter went out of control, began spinning, and then it went up and then it dropped down. And this guy says, couldn't believe what was going on. He was watching all of this, he was on the beach and this chopper coming down right on top of him.
Speaker 11: I thought it was like a movie's Sun Gone Fast, and then I realized that this was not a movie. This is real life, because we were actually witnessing all the other helicopters land safely, and when we just saw that helicopter loo control, everybody just turned around and ran in the opposite direction.
Speaker 4: So everybody was running and it got wedged between palm trees and the base of a bridge leading over to the high had Resort, and it just kind of wedged right in there and kept it from blowing apart. It didn't catch on fire. This was a belt two twenty two, which was made popular in the nineteen eighties by the TV show Airwolf, and the same type of chopper, but there were two people on board, three on the ground who were injured, including a little boy. And this was pretty incredible that the chopper came down right on top of him, but the way it wedged in between the palm trees and those stairs on the bridge, there was a gap of I don't know, maybe three feet, and he was laying in kind of a fetal position underneath of it as the chopper came down on top of him, and with the sound of what sounded like a jet engine, but the engine still going after the crash, and the red light blinking still on the chopper as they just crashed down. People went in. Bystanders went in and dragged him from underneath the chopper and got him out of there. And so, I mean, Chuck an amazing scene. But the NTSB and the FAA they're investigating, but they have given zero info because of the government shutdown. All we get is Auto replies saying because of the shutdown, they're not going to be providing information. So they are investigating. We just don't know a lot about it. But the pilot who owns the chopper reportedly as injuries. He's been in the hospital was over the weekend. But amazing scene and luckily nobody was killed in that little boy. I mean, you can imagine again like a movie, this thing's coming down on top of you. You brace for impact, and it stops a couple of feet above you because of the way it wedged into the trees and the stairs, and he was he's injured, but relatively safe underneath of the chopper.
Speaker 3: And Alex you're you're there in southern California and I was just there a few weeks ago for the Red's Dodgers series. It's not uncommon to see, you know, quite a few choppers up, up and around in that whole area too, right, And.
Speaker 4: I know yeah, I mean whether it be police or military or private shoppers. I mean you think of Co Bryant and and how he died here in the LA area, and that they're all over if you've got enough money, that is how because traffic is so bad here and it's such a huge, widespread area. Yeah, it can take you three hours, four hours at times to get from northern LA County down the southern LA County let alone, if you've got to go into Orange County or down to San Diego. So the way you get around, if you have the money or the means or the ability to own one, or your police or your military, you chop around. So there's just constantly helicopters in the air. But in this one, we don't know what went wrong. Yeah, this guy owns this chopper. He's known for doing acrobatic kind of flybys and different things. And as he was coming in, it's say, you know, almost looked like an updraft or something where it got unstable and then began spinning and then the rot flew off the back. But the NTSB and FAA will figure that out. But it was right in front of such a big crowd and people went running to get away from it.
Speaker 1: What are the rules of airspace in LA given that there are so many helicopters, any idea?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it would be that they can fly where they want to fly up to a certain altitude. There's different classes of airspace Class B airspace and things around airports where they've either got to go below the pattern or around it. We run into that a lot with chases that go on, I mean every day here in LA. There's a couple of chases and they're all televised live wall the wall on every channel. And when the chase goes by one of the airports, all the TV news choppers have to figure out how they're gonna maneuver around Lax or Burbank Airport or John Wayne Airport or Ontario or Long Beach, all the commercial airports that are all pretty close together. So yeah, they've got to work around their different airspace. But but in that area, the choppers would be able to pretty much fly wherever they want to go.
Speaker 2: And now She said that the chopper was the kind like airwolfare the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, on Airwolfs they modified the look of it a little bit, but this is a belt to twenty two, the same type of aircraft as al.
Speaker 2: It was a fantastic show back in the day, by the way, it was. It was good, very good. All right, Alexis, we got to run, but we really appreciate your time. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: You gotta think I'll see it, Alex Stone, join us. You remember Airwolf I was hearing. I do not, Oh my god, how do I not remember that? It's like, uh, eighty four eighty five kind of back then there was three channels, one of those I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this guy was uh and I read the story like the guy who was like the actor in it, A string fellow I believe was his, like his name in the show. But he was like a like one of those rising actors. Good looks like you know, the whole deal. But he was like a terrible alcoholic and just ruined his whole whole career in life.
Speaker 2: That looks pretty sweet, by the way.
Speaker 1: A helicopter and fire missiles and a awesome all right, let's uh, let's go ahead and check some trafficking weather.
Speaker 9: How are we looking from the UC Health Traffic Center. Mamma Graham Save Lives called five one three five eight four. Pink for your annual mammogram with UC Health Expert Team five one three five eight four pink.
Speaker 2: Good news.
Speaker 9: Long West six Freeman the fifth as we opened that had been shut down because of an earlier crash. Southbound seventy five Ronald Reagan Highway to Norway Lateral still about a seven minute trip through the area. Delayings back to Shepherd. We're stop and go on seventy five southbound from the Viaduct to the brent Spence. In seventy one south MLK to the Brent Spence about a five minute drive. Seventy five northbound Turfway to Twelfth Street still about a fifteen minute drive right now. And on Banning at Cole Ring, we've picked up an accident. Police are on the scene. I'm Rick Sharp News Radio seven hundred at WD wellwed In.
Speaker 1: The forecast right now, pre sunny day out there, high as seventy six, winds will continue lightly throughout the day, and then tonight clear skies are lower forty nine degrees and then tomorrow looking like another nice sunny day, seventy six degrees right now at a seventy four news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: All right, mister Penney, I'm going to show you some images, and you tell me what you see.
Speaker 10: Looks like a butterfly listening to Scott'sloan show. And this one I see a rocket ship, a rocket ship, yeah, bless enough with the planet Sloan, I see. And this one that looks like a fish swimming in a mountain pond.
Speaker 2: Very good.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but the fish is angry because he's not listening to Scott Sloan.
Speaker 2: Scott Sloan, please listen responsibly.
Speaker 3: Join me Scott Sloan tomorrow morning at nine o'clock on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: He might be best for us to discuss some strong medications. This report is sponsored by One Hour Heating and Irritnationing School