Speaker 1: The quest for the three-peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk. Here we go again. We're getting ready to run it back.
Speaker 3: To get in on the show, call 866-987-2570.
Speaker 4: And be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Basset. Welcome to Comerica Park in Detroit and Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Basset with you until 2.30 today here on 570 LA Sports after the Tigers beat the Dodgers by a final score of 2-1. That's the score the Dodgers beat Detroit last night. But today, a frustrating loss on top of a frustrating road trip for the Dodgers as their offense couldn't do anything today. And the Tigers are not really swinging the bats all that well, but they got the key hit. In the ninth inning, twice, Javi Baez with a leadoff double off a Jack Dreyer. That started the snowball and the chain reaction of events in that ninth inning that led to Kevin McGonigal's walk-off base hit that went over the head of Quique Hernandez and Teoscar Hernandez in left center field.
Speaker 1: 866-987-2570.
Speaker 2: You know, honestly, I've talked to a couple of players earlier today about What everybody's saying about this team in the month of August. And the reality is outside of the three games at Coors Field, the Dodger offense is only averaging three runs per game. But talking to a couple of players before the game today, they reminded me of their record, which is one of the best in baseball.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt about it. But right now they conceded.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers are not playing their best baseball, but reminded me that they do have 81 wins. They do have one of the top five records in all of Major League Baseball, and they also reminded me of something that I was reminded of midway through the summer. Every team is bringing their best. The Dodgers can't match that for 162 games, especially a team that has played more games than any other team in baseball since the beginning of 24, starting the year in Seoul, Korea, then running the table to a five-game World Series win at Yankee Stadium, and then starting the following year in Tokyo, and then going through a seven-game World Series and never having home field advantage throughout the postseason outside of those two games against the Reds. The Dodgers can't match what the Tigers are bringing in the first two games of this series. They just can't. There was 40,000 here at Comerica Park today. They don't get 40,000 fans at Comerica Park this year. They had 39,000 fans last night. And in the ninth inning of this game today, 40,000 plus were on their feet when Kevin McGonigal came to the plate and eventually won the game. Chris Sale, if you want to go back to Atlanta, had not dialed up 100 miles an hour on a pitch in almost seven years. Chris Sale hadn't thrown a complete game in almost that amount of time as well. So my point is, and I understood what these guys were telling me earlier today, and they're right. The Dodgers, especially in the dog days of August, cannot match that World Series or we're getting up for the Dodgers mentality anymore. every single game for the entire regular season. These guys know how to navigate a season.
Speaker 1: They are winners. They have won back-to-back championships.
Speaker 2: And last second half, they were kind of in the same situation that.
Speaker 1: They're in right now.
Speaker 2: But I do believe in the month of September, the schedule gets easier, of course, but I do believe the Dodgers are going to feel the the need to start the sprint to dial it back up. I'm not saying they're not trying because they are trying. That's not something to characterize this as. It's just not happening for them. And for whatever reason this year, they're hitting into more double plays than any other team in baseball. A key inning was the sixth inning today when Tommy Edmond, with the bases loaded, grounded into a 4-6-3 inning-ending double play. Also, making matters worse is that you don't have Andy Pahas anymore in your lineup, and you're probably not going to have him for the rest of the regular season. That's a 21 home run, 80 RBI number two hitter that play gold glove defense in center field. They haven't had Dalton rushing. who hit 13 home runs at an 800 OPS while catching, what, 80 games this year for the Dodgers? So Will Smith is coming back next week. He'll help things out. But the Dodgers need more from, or I should say, more consistency from Kyle Tucker, Teoscar Hernandez, and Mookie Betts because they haven't got.
Speaker 1: That all year long.
Speaker 2: And like I mentioned on the show yesterday, I am very much a proponent when rosters expand for the Dodgers to get some youthful energy, exuberance, production, and call up James Tibbs to get some time in left field. How about Kike Hernandez? He's barely played this year. He's got fresh legs. He brings the energy. Kike in center, Kike in left. You got to do something different because these guys have a lot of miles on them. And they have played, Teo's played virtually every game this year outside of missing some time with a hamstring injury. Kyle Tucker has played every game this year. Low energy player. You need some energy in this lineup. And you need some fresh legs. So I'm very much in on James Tibbs being called up in September. I'm very much in on playing Alex Call and Kike Hernandez this More than what we have seen. And I'm sure you're going to see both those guys in the lineup tomorrow. Because of the lefty, Frambois Valdez. But I'm in on those guys playing against righties more as well. If this is what you're getting from your two corner outfielders. Today's game brought to you by Modelo. Modelo, the mark of a fighter. We have a full board of calls. We're going to get to the Otani situation. We will hear from Dave Roberts on what's going on with Otani. But first, I want to give Blake Snell some shine because, again, four starts since coming back off the IL, he pitched pretty well. Today was a classic Snellzilla type of regular season game where he threw 99 pitches in five innings, had 10 strikeouts, only allowed one earned run, but he was out of the game after five, throwing 99 pitches. So let's hear from Blake on Sportsnet LA.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just.
Speaker 6: More.
Speaker 5: more passive today than aggressive um yeah i don't know for what a reason but getting ready for a day game today was tough uh i don't know why that was locking it was a little tougher but um yeah overall um happy with the way i competed with runners on base happy with um the way i continue to just Learned and developed throughout the at-bats on what I should do, what I don't like, what I like. But yeah, overall didn't give in. I made pitches when I needed to.
Speaker 1: What happened there in the third?
Speaker 7: Was that something with your cleat that was the issue?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I heard the announcer say I was going for sticky stuff. I was like, you're tripping. But no, I have on my big toe, like when I drag my foot, Um, I have a big like blister, so I have a bandaid on there and it was wrapped up, but then it went under my foot. So anytime I was like pushing, I was slipping. And I was, I thought if I kept doing that, I'm going to hit somebody. Cause I had no clue where the ball was going. Um, so that was the first time I was like, uh, I was like, Chris, can I change my bandaid or just throw the bandaid off and come back out? So Um, yeah, I went, you know, down a couple of steps, took the mandate off, put my sock back.
Speaker 1: On and then went back out.
Speaker 4: Did that help?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, my foot hurts more now, but yeah, um, it definitely helped.
Speaker 8: It sucks.
Speaker 5: Cause when I throw day games, um, the mound, as it gets harder, it, it just like my foot is just, yeah. So I'll put like a toe sleeve on or I gotta figure it out. But it's happened before, so I'm not worried.
Speaker 9: Is that why you were motioning behind the batter?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know how to like get around the catcher.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to say like time and use like a time with the catcher.
Speaker 9: He was like turning around.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like someone's in the stands. I was like, Chris, I'm trying to talk to you. I don't know how this is weird. I don't know how to signal you, but. I was trying to get around Fatty to talk to Chris. Yeah, but that's what it was, obviously.
Speaker 2: All right, here's Blake Snell explaining why he ran off the mound and into the tunnel. I actually thought he was changing his cleats, but that makes sense.
Speaker 1: He's got a blister.
Speaker 2: He had to change the Band-Aid, and so only Snellzilla could explain it that way, and that was the one point of levity in today's game. I know many of you are frustrated with the Dodgers' offense, and look, I just laid out, you can't just run out the same guys right now, and that's why I'm a big proponent of more Kike, more Kaul, and even James Tibbs getting called up when rosters expand on September 1st, 8 6 6 9 8 7 2 5 70 is the phone number. Let's go out to Santa Monica. Justin, you're on Dodger talk live from Detroit. Hi, Justin.
Speaker 8: Hey, Dave.
Speaker 10: Thanks for taking my call. So listen, I'm going to, I'm going to piggyback off what you, you said, which is exactly like, you know, A lot of miles and nothing really productive you're seeing out of Tucker, which we've been saying all season. And Teoscar, as of late, can't do anything. Those guys got to take, they got to get out of the lineup. And here's my, like, my question, or like a challenge is that I want you to look at our lineup, and I don't want you to look at any dollars and what their salaries are or anything. And you want to look at production, energy, who would be the best lineup out there. And you tell me if you're really going to be putting Teoscar Hernandez every day out there, because I don't think you are. And I actually believe that we should play small ball. We are not doing that at all. You saw it in this game. As soon as the runners on second, they're laying a bunt down. We'll keep that. You know how to lay a bunt down. You're clearly hearing pop-ups or ground ups these days. Go and lay the back down. You know how to do that. Why we don't instill that in our offense, I have no idea. And when you hear guys saying like, well, you know, look at last year, we went through these ruts, but we won a World Series. This offense is not performing anywhere like we had the potentially of last year. It is dead right now. I hope it changes when we get Will Smith back. I would love to see Tibbs, like you said. I'd love to see DePaulo up there. I mean, this guy, all he's doing is hitting home runs and double A. Like, let's see these kids get in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, he's not ready. He's not ready. He's not ready. He's a great hitter. He's ready offensively. From what I've been told, he's not ready maturity-wise, defensively, all that stuff, Justin. So you're not going to throw him on a team that's trying to three-peat. So Tibbs is more realistic than, as I call him, JDP. But I love the passion, and I agree with you. But let's remember, these veteran guys, they know what it takes to win in October. And it's not like these guys are 10 games out of first place. I mean, the way you sounded right there, Justin, would be this team is in third or fourth place and gave up on the season. No, they're going to win the NL West and they've got to maintain. that number two seed over the Braves. And that's why as much as Dave Roberts and Mookie Betts wanted to downplay being swept in Atlanta, that was a huge series. The Dodgers went in there four games up on the Braves for the number two seed and a buy in the first round. They take two out of three. They leave Atlanta five games up and you have the easiest second, easiest schedule in baseball. more likely than not, you are going to be the number two seed. So I disagreed with Dave. I disagree with Mookie trying to downplay the significance of that series sweep by the Braves. Let's go out to Los Feliz. Tony, you're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse.
Speaker 7: Hi, Tony.
Speaker 4: Hey, Dave.
Speaker 3: Nice talking to you. You know, after going through all of the incoming, all the miasma, all the smoke, and looking under the hood, The fact is the Dodgers are 28-27 in the month of July and August. They were excellent in 2024, 30-21. They have a better record than last year at this time. They were 25-27. They're going to be playing teams with a 481 winning percentage in the next half. And, you know, yesterday on the broadcast, Joe Davis briefly touched on a subject I want to ask you about, a question. These July and August repeats, rinse repeats, are quite similar to last year. And I'm curious, if you think there's any, I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but as you mentioned, their age, the mileage, the incredible, unthinkable doing a three-peat for the first time in the National League, do you think these July and August swoons are somewhat, quote-unquote, planned? I don't mean they're losing intentionally, but they're somewhat realizing this is, quote, a marathon and not a sprint, obviously. Curious what your take.
Speaker 1: Is on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the Dodgers under Andrew Friedman have mastered the 162-game schedule and how to navigate that.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's proven.
Speaker 2: They've won the NL West every year since Andrew's been in charge, except for that one wacky Season in 21 where the Giants won 107 games, the Dodgers won 106. So they do understand how to navigate. They're not going to push their pitchers and they're not going to push their players in July more than they have to. But in this case, in this season, I thought the Dodgers came out of the all-star break with the most, the toughest schedule I can remember since 1991 for a Dodger team coming out of the all-star break.
Speaker 1: Three games at Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 2: They had to play a doubleheader the final day at Yankee Stadium. They win that series. Then they have to go to Philadelphia. They take two out of three there. And then on their off day, they are sent to the White House on that day off and then have to fly back. to New York to play the Mets, and they won each of those series. But I feel like the residual of all that, the adrenaline started to wear off, and I feel like that tough travel schedule started to catch up to the Dodgers. So every season is unique, Tony, and to me, coming out of the All-Star break with that schedule was tough, and for an older team with a lot of miles.
Speaker 1: So that's my thought on it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dave.
Speaker 9: Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All right, Tony, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Another factor to the Dodgers' offensive struggles is their best player, Shohei Otani, in a slump this month. Outside of what he did at Coors Field, in his last 31 at-bats, Otani is just five for 31 with 13 strikeouts. He was one for four today with a single. He did a great job of moving the runner over as well today, but Tomorrow was supposed to be a day that Otani went back to the mound in a major league game, but only 20 pitches in his bullpen session yesterday led the Dodgers to pause that, push it back and not have him start tomorrow. Tyler Glass now will be pitching tomorrow. Otani will not. And Otani is not going to start on Tuesday at Dodger stadium as well. When we continue on Dodger Talk, we will get into whether or not Otani should even pitch again the rest of the year and his value to the Dodgers as a hitter versus pitcher. We got a full board of calls. We will get to you after the Dodgers fall to the Tigers today, 2-1.
Speaker 1: On 570 LA Sports.
Speaker 8: Dodger fans, this is Blake Snow. You're listening to the home of the back-to-back world champion Dodgers on AM 570 LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Snellzilla Saturday.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, the Dodgers get the loss today as Kevin McGonigal walks it off in the ninth inning with the bases loaded to beat Jack Dreyer and the Dodgers today.
Speaker 1: 2-1.
Speaker 2: Blake Snow went five innings through 99 pitches. had 10 strikeouts, and only allowed one earned run. Snellzilla, as he said earlier, did not lock in today. He was not as aggressive in the strike zone as we had seen in his previous three starts.
Speaker 1: The third inning, again, gave him problems.
Speaker 2: That's the run that he gave up, and he threw 27 pitches in that third inning. Also, his last inning of work, in the fifth inning, he threw 26 pitches. If he could have been more economical and threw more strikes and get quicker outs, he might have gone back out there for.
Speaker 1: The sixth inning.
Speaker 2: But instead, five innings, 99 pitches, 10 strikeouts, and the Dodger offense was stifled again today as the Tigers beat the Dodgers 2-1. The Dodgers have only scored three runs in their last three games. Shohei Otani is in a slump, five for his last 31, 13 strikeouts, no home runs. And today it was revealed that Otani will not pitch tomorrow. And when he pitches, we don't know because the Dodgers are not sure. Dave Roberts told reporters after the game that the Dodgers, Dave Roberts, Mark Pryor, Andrew Friedman, Shohei Otani will huddle up in L.A., and decide whether or not Otani throws another pitch in a major league game, which, you know, I all season long, I have not been one of those that have been in the absolutes because only cysts deal in absolutes and I don't deal in absolutes. So I was not one of those that said Otani should not pitch ever again back in July. But the reality is Otani is has not pitched since July 3rd. And it seems like He's continuing to try to make it happen, but his body, over 30 years old now, what, 32, is not cooperating with him.
Speaker 1: The left knee's a problem. The right bicep's a problem.
Speaker 2: And you can't tell me as much as he wants to believe it, as much as Dave Roberts wants to convince us that the left knee, and when he starts to try to ramp up, doesn't affect the way he hits at the plate because ever since he started to ramp up The offense has gone downwards. So at this point, I am very much a proponent of Otani just saying, you know what? It's not going to happen this year. Maybe next year. Maybe we'll come up with a better plan to try to avoid the long toll of a season. But to me, at this point, with Scooble now a Dodger, with Glasnow and Snell back, the Dodgers don't necessarily need Otani back. As much as they need Otani, the leadoff DH, the 50-50 MVP, the 40 home run guy, the Dodgers need to spark their struggling offense. And here's what Dave Roberts had to say earlier this morning when he let it be known that Otani may not pitch tomorrow and hasn't decided when Otani will pitch again.
Speaker 11: I don't think he's 100%. So I think that's where... we're trying that's the hard part right now is trying to figure out if he's not 100 you know overall bodied um is it worth you know giving him an inning uh to build up um or not and so i think that that's kind of where we're at right now trying to weigh the positives and negatives so i don't again short answer i don't have an answer right.
Speaker 10: Now when you say he's not not 100% specifically?
Speaker 11: It's not. The knee, the body, it's just not. Just throwing, pitching, not 100%. What percent it is, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know the answer.
Speaker 9: Is it something that you're talking about just affecting when he's going to pitch again, like this week, or if he will pitch again at all going forward?
Speaker 11: More of when. And then it's just more of, again, weighing, does it have to be tomorrow? So that's kind of... internally trying to discuss it.
Speaker 1: Is Tuesday then kind of the backup option?
Speaker 11: I would say if it's not tomorrow, I don't see it being Tuesday. But it could be. But, yeah, I mean, could kicking it, pushing it a couple days be a possibility? Sure, yeah.
Speaker 4: If it's not tomorrow, probably a longer time off.
Speaker 1: Would make more sense.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and again, we're still thinking about potentially the build-up and what that would mean, which is fair. But at the end of the day, it's what's best for Shohei, what's best for us, what makes the most sense. That's kind of where we're at.
Speaker 7: At this point, just sort of given how long it's been, does it make you wonder if the knee's just ever going to get to 100% while pitching this season?
Speaker 1: Yes, and.
Speaker 11: To be quite frank, I just don't see, you know, everything getting to 100% by the end of the season. But then, you know, there's a lot of pitchers that are not 100% and still viable. So, again, it's just not an exact science.
Speaker 2: It certainly is not. And the Dodgers have said all season long it's a fluid situation depending on how Otani's feeling. Let's not forget, I mean, in this ballpark on a double header, when Otani was playing for the Angels in 23, he had one of the greatest days a baseball player would have in a double header.
Speaker 1: But that's when he was 28 years old. He's over 30 now.
Speaker 2: And has played more games the last two years than he has ever played before. And all those things, I believe, are taking a toll on him and the rest of the Dodgers. So, yes, I'm very much in favor of Otani just being the Dodgers DH and focusing on that.
Speaker 1: He hasn't pitched since July 3rd.
Speaker 2: And Dave Roberts also said him getting built up to five innings with this little amount of time left in the season is not realistic. So what's the point here? I wouldn't mind keeping him idle for a possible, you know, world series relief role. But I mean, the whole thing about him coming back to be a starter, the Dodgers don't need him to be that guy. They need him to be the 40 home run spark at the top of the lineup, which is, Ever since he started to ramp up, again, just he hasn't been. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. But you have to imagine, a left knee doesn't know if you're just hitting or if you're pitching. Obviously, it hurt him when he lands. That's obviously the cause of it. But the right bicep became an issue now. So nobody's 100% at this point in time in the season, let alone a guy over 30 that's trying to be a two-way player. So he hasn't pitched since July 3rd. The Dodgers have navigated the season without him being a pitcher. They should just focus on him and letting him understand what the team needs. And if he wins a three-peat with the Dodgers, nobody will hold.
Speaker 1: It against him that he only pitched the first half of this year. Trust me. Let's go out to Northridge. Larry, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Larry?
Speaker 7: I'm doing great. It's always great to hear you. My family listens to you very, very often all the time. You're the best Dave.
Speaker 1: So thank you. Oh, there you.
Speaker 11: Go.
Speaker 4: I did too.
Speaker 7: Go Matadors DV.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 1: What do you got first?
Speaker 7: Yeah. For F two questions. First ones you mentioned on the East coast road trip back when the Dodgers were in Philly and New York, they would have an easy ride through the playoffs. I'm hoping you still feel that way because you're the inspiration for us. Dodger fans. Do you still feel it's going to be that easy road you talked about a month ago?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 10: I do.
Speaker 2: I feel that way because nobody can match Yamamoto, Snell, and Skubal, and I don't expect this Dodger offense to be down, especially with Will Smith coming back, Andy Pahez probably coming back in the postseason, and like I said, more Kike and the call-up of James Tibbs, in my opinion, can give this team a spark, some energy, some fresh legs.
Speaker 7: Awesome. I like our family just needed to hear that. Cause if you feel that way, we're all going to feel that way. And my second point you, you touched on, but maybe you could expand a little bit. Whose decision is it about Shohei pitching or hitting? Is it Shohei? Is it the Dodgers management? Because it does feel like the coincidence is that, Hey, you know, as soon as he ramped up, the pitching is when the bat calmed down.
Speaker 2: I think Shohei has a big say in this, Larry, um, the Dodgers have, uh, Definitely respected the superstar players and what they're telling them. I mean, this goes back to Kershaw. It goes with Freddie Freeman, who plays virtually every day. They allow players like Otani to be honest with them and have a lot of say about what they're doing, playing or not. So in my opinion, the biggest challenge for the Dodgers is to show Shohei Otani that, look, it's been since July 3rd. You were ramping up and you couldn't take the mound. We're running out of time. Let's just get this offense right.
Speaker 7: That seems what it should be. Thanks, as always, for your inspiration to the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Hey, thank you, Larry. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure Max Muncy agrees with you that I'm the inspiration, but I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Let's go out to Hancock Park. Fred, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Fred?
Speaker 7: I'm well.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 2: Are you flying over Hancock Park right now, Fred? Are you in a helicopter?
Speaker 1: Where are you at?
Speaker 4: I'm in my car.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 1: What do you got?
Speaker 4: So I have a question first about what you started with, with intensity. What does that mean? Does that mean that, like, they're taking a few pitches off every at-bat? Does that mean they're not preparing as hard? Does that mean, like... They don't run as hard at the first. Is it every at-bat? Is it some at-bats? It just seems like a kind of nonsensical thing to say. They can't match.
Speaker 1: Another team's intensity. Is that like... Not for 162. No, not for 162, Fred.
Speaker 2: The Tigers have played as hard as they have played all season long in the first two games of this series. Chris Sale, like I mentioned, pitched his best game in nearly... seven, eight years against the Dodgers, the urgency, the heightened focused. It can't be there for 162 games. If you're trying to win the world series, you can't get on the roller coaster of getting emotionally high.
Speaker 1: When a certain team.
Speaker 2: Comes to town, it's just not realistic for a veteran team. That's one back-to-back championships. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But Dave, that's nonsense because if you come up with the bases loaded, it doesn't matter what the other team's doing. It's up to you to just put the bat on the ball.
Speaker 1: Sure it does, Fred.
Speaker 2: If a pitcher is on the mound with the bases loaded, you're telling me he's not rearing back as a Detroit Tiger to make his best pitch because there is no October? And I got news for you. Tommy Edmonds is not trying to hit the ball on the ground, Fred.
Speaker 4: That's my point. If he's not trying to hit the ball on the ground, you can make the case just as easily that if you're not going to be playing in October, you have nothing to play for, and you're not going to give 100%.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Have you seen.
Speaker 1: What the Tigers... Fred, I know you don't follow the Tigers.
Speaker 2: I don't follow them that closely, but I could tell you, They were playing very lethargic coming into this series, and that's why they're out of the central and wildcard race. And then all of a sudden, you see them play the Dodgers in tight one-run games. You got sellouts at Comerica Park for the first time back-to-back days all season long. That's what I'm talking about. This city, this team got up for the Dodgers. The Dodgers can't match that in Detroit, in Oakland, Sacramento. They just can't do that if you want them to be ready for when it matters the most. And they, by the way, they must be doing something right because they have 81 wins, Fred.
Speaker 4: I agree. My second question is this. Earlier you alluded to hearing about DePaula not being ready maturity-wise. I wonder if you can share with us what you hear about the Dodgers' problems with fastballs. Is it thought to be mechanical? Is it thought to be strategy-wise, it's well chronicled that the team's having trouble dealing with the fastball. And just what have you heard anecdotally about how they're trying to compensate for that?
Speaker 1: All right, Fred.
Speaker 2: Well, I believe that's a hitter-to-hitter issue. Max Muncy would love to see fastballs. He's done a lot of damage off fastballs. When he's had troubles, it's when the pitcher's pulling the string on him. Um, look, the bat speed might be a little slower for some of these guys. Uh, like I said, older team day game after a night game, all those things play into it. I know you don't want to hear that, but that's the reality of the situation. A lot of miles age guys over 30. Um, sometimes you don't, the bad speeds not there, but I know that was a narrative, uh, for six weeks. Um, I don't believe anybody's really given any clarity on why, uh, They were struggling for that point in time on fastballs. I will say this, fastball change-up pitchers have given the Dodgers issues in the last six weeks. Let's go out to Gary in Colorado Springs. You're on Dodger Talk live from Detroit.
Speaker 1: Hi, Gary.
Speaker 7: Hey, Dave.
Speaker 9: I just want to say, first of all, thanks to you and the 570 team. You guys do an amazing job keeping us like we're part of the team.
Speaker 2: Isn't Petros wonderful? Isn't Petros wonderful? He really has his finger on the pulse on everything.
Speaker 4: Sometimes.
Speaker 9: Hey, I just wanted to make the comment on that.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 9: And all the happy hours, right? Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, Gary, what do you got? Let's get serious.
Speaker 2: Now this is very serious life or death matter here. Dodger baseball.
Speaker 9: Got it. I just, uh, just wanted to make a comment on the roster construction. I don't, um, there's not a lot of help in the minor league, especially from the right hand side. Um, James Tibbs and Jose de Paula and anyone else down there are not on the 40-man. So really to make room on the 40-man, you're going to have to DFA Teoscar, Tucker, Miggy Rowe, or Kike. No, you're not.
Speaker 1: No, you wouldn't. No, you wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 2: There's other ways to get one of those guys on the 40-man roster.
Speaker 9: So they could trade or move somebody to the 60-day IL.
Speaker 10: Oh, yes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They're not DFA Tucker or Teoscar Hernandez, Gary.
Speaker 1: They're not.
Speaker 2: There's other ways to get guys on the 40-man roster, a guy or just one guy in James Tibbs. They're not putting Josue DePaula on the 40-man roster, Gary. They're not calling him up. That's what I've been told. That's not happening right now. But James Tibbs is a real possibility, and there are ways to get creative to get him on the 40-man roster. But there's also the part of what may happen after this season with a new CBA. So that, I'm sure, is something that Andrew Friedman is balancing. But the Dodgers are trying to three-peat. And right now, they haven't gotten hardly any consistent production from their corner outfielders.
Speaker 1: Teoscar Hernandez.
Speaker 2: is not providing a whole lot offensively these days for whatever reason. And I believe that you need a spark, and I believe you need to have more Kike in the outfield until Pahez comes back. And calling up James Tibbs makes a lot of sense to platoon, maybe to platoon with Teoscar, maybe to take some at-bats away from Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 1: Let's see.
Speaker 2: We've heard so much about these outfielders in the minor leagues. Let's see what they can do. The Dodgers need some.
Speaker 1: Help out there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I totally agree. I just think that next week they're going to have some interesting decisions with people coming back on the expanded roster and what they do with the 40 man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not as interesting as you think, Gary. I laid it out yesterday. It's very doable. Go back and podcast the show. I don't feel like getting back into it right now.
Speaker 9: You're good.
Speaker 4: I will.
Speaker 9: I missed yesterday. Thanks for taking a.
Speaker 6: Call, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I laid it all out there. It's not as complicated as you're trying to make it seem, Gary.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 9: We need Will Smith back, though. I think that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Definitely. He'll help in a lot of areas.
Speaker 2: So Will Smith continuing his rehab assignment at Oklahoma City. All expectations are he should be in the starting lineup on Tuesday at Dodger Stadium. 866-987-2570 is the phone number. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast. The forecast has been a little dry lately. For your chance to win a $ 50 Daniels Jewelers gift card, visit am570lasports. com. Use the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the dream. All right, let's hear a little bit more from Dave Roberts because as you know, Otani's whole baseball identity is being a two-way player. And going back to what I said, the Dodgers need Otani more as a hitter than they do as a pitcher right now. And the two-way thing stopped on July 3rd for this season. And I asked Dave Roberts earlier. whether or not Otani appreciates the fact that if you look at the Dodger roster right now, does he fully understand that the Dodgers, if he was making the decision, the Dodgers need Otani the hitter more than they need Otani the starting pitcher?
Speaker 11: I wouldn't bet against Shohei, but, you know, I still think that five innings to the end of the season is aggressive for anyone. I think that as the competitor, he wants... To do both, and I respect it. But, you know, nothing I'm saying changes his identity as a two-way player. But I think in the moment, yeah, I mean, he still feels that, you know, there's still an opportunity, and I'm not trying to say there isn't, you know. But I do think that at the end of the day, he knows, he's very aware of our roster and strengths, weaknesses, and his value to the ball club and whatever that means.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a good thing. And Otani is a very aware person and player. I know he doesn't talk a lot publicly, but he is very aware of what's going on baseball wise. So I, I am, I am very happy to hear that he would understand that the Dodgers need him more as a hitter than a starting pitcher. Now, what I will say as well with the uncertainty of, and the inconsistency of some high leverage relievers the Dodgers have, if you were to start Otani in a game four, let's say in a best of seven series, and he's able to get six to nine outs for you, that takes away some of the pressure of using some of those relievers at the back end of the game, because you could have Otani take down the first nine outs of a playoff game, and then bring in Tyler Glass now to take down the next, you know, 10 to 15 and match up possibly at the end. But that's the value of having Otani built up to maybe just to a point where he can give you three innings in a playoff game. But right now, it doesn't seem like the body's cooperating. Let's go out to North Hollywood. Dave, you're on Dodger Talk from Detroit.
Speaker 3: Hi, Dave.
Speaker 6: I want to preface my point by kind of saying I told you so back in April. They should not have started Otani, and they should have actually ramped them up beginning August for this exact reason. So, you know, that's just my paternal kind of overly worrying.
Speaker 1: That's what they did last year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, that's kind of what I was hoping they would do. But, but you know, on the, the silver lining to this is I think come October, the Dodgers will get, they'll get in gear. Cause it's, you know, October is zero, zero.
Speaker 1: Can I just, can I pause you really quick? I know that's what you said.
Speaker 2: And, and I know that makes a lot of sense, but you know, who drives this is Shohei Otani, who was very clear in spring training that winning the Cy Young was very much a priority for him or a goal this year. It just hasn't come to fruition. So let's not forget about that part of the equation. Don't put this all on the Dodgers and what they would have done because the player, the best player on the planet, a two-way player has a lot of say in all this.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, you're, you're kind of in Dave Roberts's ear. So I'm hoping you could kind of tweet that and maybe.
Speaker 4: Have that idea.
Speaker 6: I'm Matter of fact, but, but, but really, no, I mean, I, I hope come October, they, they get aggressive on first pitches. Why is they need to disrupt the picture. They can't let these pictures get in rhythm and sit there and get all cute.
Speaker 7: They need to get, get their butts out of there.
Speaker 11: They needed.
Speaker 6: And the way that I've seen them win the last two years is first pitch bang, whoa, pitchers shocked. And all of a sudden the Dodgers are in control. We all know you win game one, you kind of control the series. So it's really kind of everything kind of connects together. So I, I personally think they need to attack first pitches and just really be aggressive. And, and, and I'm hoping that once October comes that, that they'll be in control and that that'll happen.
Speaker 2: They will Dave. Don't worry about it. Well, I shouldn't say don't worry about it. I believe they will. And, Look, Teoscar Hernandez, you could see his post-game interview in the clubhouse on the Sportsnet LA social media platforms. He's echoing what I was just saying. Every team is bringing their best. Their pitcher is bringing their best. They're bringing a little extra. And that's what we have seen all season long. Every series, the opposing team is bringing extra. The pitcher on the mound is more focused. He's reaching back for higher velocity than we have seen all season long.
Speaker 1: I mean, A.J.
Speaker 2: Smith-Shauver in Atlanta, coming back from Tommy John, was averaging about 93 miles an hour on his fastball. He was dialing up 96 against the Dodgers. Chris Sale hit 100 for the first time since, you know, Mookie Betts was on the Red Sox with him. So that was my point. And the Dodgers, like I said, cannot match that. every single game.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 1: Are they trying?
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 1: Are they locked in? Yeah.
Speaker 2: But for 162 games, I think it's, it's unrealistic to believe that every player on the Dodgers for every pitch of the game is locked in and bring in that type of a focus and a little extra that they're facing every single game. Tomorrow, Tyler Glass now will be on the mound going up against Frambois Valdez. You don't think Frambois Valdez is up to pitch against the Dodgers? You're going to see it tomorrow, and the Dodgers will as well. Our coverage begins at 9.30 tomorrow morning with first pitch. at 1040. Rick Monday and Steven Nelson will be on the call for us on the Dodgers audio network. Thanks to Colin Yee back at our Burbank studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Comerica Park in Detroit. And thanks to you for listening. We had a lot of calls.
Speaker 1: It was lively. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, baby. I'm right here for you. I'm not hiding.
Speaker 2: One pitch at a time, one step at a time, one round at a time. The Dodgers fall to the Tigers today.
Speaker 1: Two to one.
Speaker 2: You can hear this show, yesterday's show, every show this season of Dodger Talk on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Make Dodger Talk a preset. Like us. Download us.
Speaker 2: You'll never miss any episode, any interview that we share with you. And it was also great to see Jack Flaherty before the game today. A proud 8-1-8 from North Hollywood, Harvard-Westlake. He seems like he's throwing out the fish line for me to interview him tomorrow on the pregame show.
Speaker 1: We'll see where it goes.
Speaker 2: Once again, the final score today, the Tigers beat the Dodgers 2-1.
Speaker 1: Have a great rest of your day. See ya.