Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begune.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we're going again.
Speaker 4: We're going to running back to get him on the show called eight six six eight seven two five seven days and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vasselas.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David vasse with you live from Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium as the kids are running the bases on this beautiful Sunday afternoon that saw the Dodgers shut out the Cubs today six to nothing and take two out of three from Chicago. After blowing a four to nothing lead in the seventh inning of the first game of this series, the Dodgers very well could have swept the Cubs, who came in red hot winners of nine in a row. Then they come back and beat the Dodgers on Friday night six to four. So yesterday the Dodgers snapped the Cub's ten game winning streak in a big way, scoring twelve runs. It was a twelve to four final, and then today come back and shut them out six to nothing. So the Dodgers outscore the Cubs the last two games of this series eighteen to four and send the Cubs off back to Chicago with a two game losing streak. We have phone lines open at eight six, six, nine, eight, seven, two, five seventy. We will hear from Justin Robleski in a moment, but coming up later in the show, we'll let you know where Blake Snow will be pitching next and when. Also had a chance to catch up with Michael Conforto, who received his World Series ring by his teammates the first day of this series, and say whatever you will. I know, honestly, I didn't like the booze for Confordo from Dodger fans last night when he came off the bench.
Speaker 3: I know he didn't perform well, but.
Speaker 2: He was a great teammate and played through it all during the regular season, never was activated for any of the October series. But for those of us that got to know Michael Conforto, the booze were a little cringe. But hey, you don't know Michael Conforto on a personal level. You only know him as a baseball player, and things did not go well for Michael Conforto and left field for the Dodgers last year. But anyway, we will share my conversation with Confordo and also Jose Moto will check in. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, you know. I know people talk about the recent rivalry, and rightfully so between the Dodgers and Padres. A lot of unlikable characters in that rivalry. On the San Diego side, I know the historical rivalry between the Dodgers and Giant. It's got turned up a little bit with Dalton Rushing and Logan Webb in the last series. But the Cubs are a very unlikable group of guys if you're a Dodger fan. There's a lot of history where they are not lovable in any way. But they did lose again to the Dodgers. That seems to be a trend since twenty sixteen. But nonetheless, you got Alex Bregman, who was unapologetic about the sign stealing of the Astros in twenty seventeen. You got Pi Crow Armstrong, who I personally like, but if you're a Dodger fan, I can understand why you boot them as much as you booed Alex Bregman. And then you got a mister I take myself way too seriously. Manager Craig Counsel, who was the MVP of the twenty eighteen NLCS when the Dodgers beat his Brewers in the Championship Series that year. And he's the guy that out of nowhere last week brought up the Otani rule. So the Cubs are a very unlike Pika Bowl group. If you're a Dodger fan, and nobody is sad to see them go home losing the last two and two out of three, and I can't wait. I hope the Dodgers play the Cubs in the postseason this year because that would be that would be on another level from what we have seen in years past. Eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. Great job by Justin Robleski today not his best. I mean, this guy has been in the strike zone more than any other Dodger pitcher this year, but today, especially in the first two innings, he was missing and he put on a lot of base runners. In fact, he stranded eight base runners during his six innings of work. And I mentioned this during the Clubhouse show, and I actually really do believe this. Obviously, what glass Now did that final day in San Francisco was great to watch, eight scoreless innings, allowed just one hit. I mean, he had no hit stuff that day. What Otani did in San francis amazing to watch. Those are one of those games where you say I was there when he pitched that. Well, But what Justin Robleski did today, and he's Justin Robleski. Let's not forget that. He's not Otani, he's not Kershaw, but you know what he is. He's a hell of a competitor and he showed that today. He went out without his best stuff, without his best command, and did not give up a single run, especially when he had the bases loaded and nobody out.
Speaker 3: In that second inning.
Speaker 2: He put up a zero, did not give up an earn run even though there was a lot of traffic against him.
Speaker 3: Today, some of these.
Speaker 2: Type of starts are even more impressive than what he did against the Mets, where he allowed just two hits and eight scoreless. To me, this showed you what Justin Robleski is all about. He's one of those tough competitors in this rotation, and he was so stubborn today. He would not give in, and he competed his butt off. And the one thing you hear a lot from the best pitchers is when you're on that mound, you gotta find a way to compete and get guys out when you're not feeling your best, when you don't have your best stuff. And that's exactly what he did. And he threw one hundred and nine pitches. No other Dodger has thrown that many pitches in any start this year, one hundred and nine pitches and six scoreless innings.
Speaker 3: The other Dodger.
Speaker 2: That threw close to that was Glass Now this past Wednesday or this past Thursday against the Giants, he threw one hundred and five pitches in eight innings of work. And the Cubs today thoroughly frustrated because they were oh for nineteen with men on base today.
Speaker 3: That's the worst over.
Speaker 2: With men on base against the Dodgers since twenty twenty three. And hat tipped to our guy Rick Krajuski for sharing that note with us. Eight nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head downstairs to the Dodger club House to hear from Justin Robleski on sports and at LA.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think, you know, first off, I think Rush did a good job back there, kind of keeping me in the rails. He did a good job just kind of I think to collectively we did a good job just kind of you know, finding that attack there and like the third inning and kind of moving forward. But yeah, we did a good job. And at the end of the day, it doesn't really mattter like runners on base, nobody on base, Like you're still trying to make pitches, and you know, I think more times than not, if you make good pitches, you're gonna get these hitters out. And that's kind of what was a game plan. And yeah, we did a good job of it.
Speaker 6: Can you just tell me kind of the shift if there was a shift in mindset, our feeling, especially after those first two innings and the pitch cow got up, and how you were able to just find ways to be a bit more efficient to allow yourself the opportunity to get deeper into the game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it was just attack a little more. I think there was a little bit too much careful those first two innings and we just kind of got back to what I do best moving forward there. And yeah, we did.
Speaker 3: Like I said, Rush did a.
Speaker 5: Great job calling the game from from there, and yeah, to get me through six was was a big deal. And obviously it's always good to get through six and get deep into the game. But I think, you know, had those first two winnings that happen, we probably could have got a little deeper. So that's a little frustrating at the same time, managing you know, that adversity that we had today, it was good and it was good to kind of get through those innings clean.
Speaker 7: I feel like another growth moment for you and not only get through those first couple of innings, but then kind of find a rhythm after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say so.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think it's just again, like like I said, it's it's just making pitches when you need them, and today I made the pitches when I needed to make them, and so that helped us get through those those innings. And yeah, obviously you're not always gonna to do that. Even when you make the pitches, sometimes guys are gonna hit them. This is the big leagues. Is the best hitters in the world, so sometimes guys hit him and sometimes they don't. So I think at the end of the day, it's just whether you're in the mindset of attacking or not attacking. I think that's kind of the big thing.
Speaker 2: That's justin Robleski on sports net LA and he threw his fastball today, of course, more than any other pitch, and it was averaging around ninety three miles an hour. He got fifteen swings and swings on it, and he got fifteen called strikes on it. He threw a slider the second most, and then, like he said after his last start, he likes to show the curveball just to keep the batter off balance and maybe keep it in the back of their mind. But his issue today was a lack of fastball command. And then he, like you said, made the pitches when he needed to make it. And I'm not going to ask the question who is the Dodgers ace.
Speaker 3: I think it's pretty.
Speaker 2: Clear that it's Yamamoto being the World Series MVP and doing what he did last year during the postseason. But Robleski and Tyler Glass, now maybe the two starters that have surprised me the most glass Now has been. I think you can consider glass Now the workhorse of this rotation three and zero ERA of two forty five. He's thrown more innings than any other Dog Rogers starter at thirty three. Yama Moto second most, just you know, basically right there with him. But glass Now has only given up two home runs this year. His strikeout to walk Ratio's phenomenal. His whip is the lowest. Hitters are hitting only a buck forty three against him. Obviously, Otani wants to win the cy Young Award, and he's shooting to have his best year as a pitcher, and it's hard to argue that he's not going to after having an ERA of zero thirty eight with four starts. But I believe Yamamoto is still the ace of this staff. Tyler glass now is is the workhorse of this staff, and I believe the Dodgers very easily could have at least three starters on the All Star team this year and also a two way player in show. Hey Otani, If Robleski keeps on pitching this way, his eras one fifty with thirty innings pitched, how can you say he's not an All Star? I mean, I know it's April. There's a long ways to go between now and when all that's selected, but it's hard to find five starters that are better than what the Dodgers have in glass Now, Yamamoto, Robleski, Otani and Ima Shean's coming off his best start of the year. So I guess you know, if you want to ask the question, who's the Dodgers ace. When you ask that question, you want to know who you want on the mound when you're trying to stop a losing streak, when you're trying to save the bullpen, and also who would you want to start the biggest game of the postseason. Yamamoto is that guy now, he checks all those boxes. But glass now's the workhorse. Otani is, you know, the most unique guy out there but does have certain limitations. And Robleski is this swing guy that all of a sudden has become a real against lineups good or bad, and today, I mean the Cups lineup's pretty good and he shut him down. Eight six, six, two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers shut out the Cups today, six to nothing. Let's go out to Joe who is at Dodgers stadium today. Hi, Joe, you're on Dodger Talk, Dave.
Speaker 8: Long time this, sir, I haven't called in a minute. I'm here with my son Phoenix, and my son's sunny. What a great game I did, Owan Roubleski. I mean, this guy is shoving his consistent I feel like, what a contrast right with Roki being a little hot and cold. I think Robo has just been one game after another showing up.
Speaker 9: And you know, he showed us in the in the playoffs. He's there for the big time too, So I'm really liking the way he's pitching. And then two last notes, I called it O'tani today, I told my kids in the car, he's gonna he's gonna get three.
Speaker 8: It's one of them is going to be a home run. And I'm glad Tucker's get getting going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you are a hero, Joe. Good job.
Speaker 2: And Otani started to show signs of better quality at bats last night, much better. And today, you know, was an indication that he was starting to carry it over from last night. Was his leadoff walk in the bottom of the first inning, and then he steals second. The ball kicks off his cleat, he's at third base and scores the first run. Like I said during the Clubhouse Show, he's the greatest player out there, fifty to fifty only guy to ever do that, a guy that's going for the cy Young this year, out of this world, talent, out of this world, player that we've never seen. But in the here and now, when he's struggling, the entire Dodger offense is going to have a hard time to be as good as they possibly can be.
Speaker 3: And I think he saw that the last twelve games.
Speaker 2: Because he's the leadoff hitter, he's the catalyst on top of being the best player in the game. Now if he's sitting third or fourth, you know, when he goes into a slump like anybody else, like a Kyle Tucker. Obviously not ideal, but he's not the leadoff hitter on this team. He's the leadoff hitter that is so dynamic, that takes so much energy away from whoever's on the mound. And when he's getting himself out, because I believe that's what we have seen the last thirteen games. He's getting himself out by, you know, swinging at pitches that he normally doesn't swing at. When Otani is striking out, and his helmet is coming off.
Speaker 3: You know, he's way out of balance.
Speaker 2: And you hear Jose Mota talk about posture and Otani talk about posture. The posture was way off during these last twelve games. He homers today for the first time in fifty nine plate appearances. That's the most time in between home runs since him becoming a Dodger.
Speaker 3: So there we go. I mean, it was good to see.
Speaker 2: And it feels like as we get closer to May, Otani is starting to heat up because he told me in Toronto, so he's looking forward to a big May and just trying to get himself right in the month of April.
Speaker 3: And don't discount the fact that he was.
Speaker 2: One of and is one of many World Baseball Classic players that have gotten off to a slow start.
Speaker 3: Pcrow Armstrong for the Cubs.
Speaker 2: Fernando Tatist Junior doesn't have a home run, Aaron Judge is hitting below two twenty. These guys did not get enough plate appearances playing.
Speaker 3: In the World Baseball Classic. I am a firm believer about that.
Speaker 2: Today's game brought to you by Modello Modello the Mark of a Fighter. Let's go out to Ontario, home of the buzz Towers. Rudy, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Rudy, I'm doing great.
Speaker 10: I haven't talked in a minute, but I wanted to ask you, what's your opinion on giving the umpire the ball and strike. Let them know what the ball and strike the two challenges. Aren't we kind of defeating the purpose of getting the call right trying to show up the batter And we are definitely not trying to show up the umpire. Just let him know when it's a ball and strike.
Speaker 9: That.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not I'm not in. I'm not all in on that, Rudy.
Speaker 2: I think part of the reason why this whole ABS system is appealing to Major league baseball is because of the reactions they got from the minor league fans when you would see and as you see it here in big league ballparks, that ball coming through the strike zone and a little bit of drama if you will, to see whether or not the balls in the strike zone. And also, I do like the strategy that you can't just have unlimited challenges. I like there's still some element of strategy in the game instead of just making it fully automated.
Speaker 10: Okay, I'll give you that, But how about well, it's the playoffs start. Aren't those games a little bit more important than the fans getting the excitement of seeing the pitch hitting the box or not?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Can you imagine how heightened that would be in a World Series game? You know, a pivotal at bat late in the game, and you challenge it or you run out of challenges.
Speaker 3: To me, yeah, I've heard the argument.
Speaker 2: Where you don't need the homeplate umpire to call balls or strikes, but you know this is sports entertainment and there's a lot more drama now involved.
Speaker 10: That's true, that's true. How did they arrive at only two challenges?
Speaker 2: I think that's what they tested out in the minor leagues and they felt like that was, you know, not overdoing it, because if you have like ten or five, isn't that a little bit too many? I feel like two is a good number, and then an extra innings you get, you get an extra one.
Speaker 10: Right, right? Okay? Well, I just wanted to find out about that. Listen to you guys all the time, and I think the Cubs manager he needs to uh re set itself because the that's put in for the fans and everybody he's the best player in all of baseball. And I think there's a little bit of animosity there, don't you think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a little sour grapes now that O'tani finds himself on the Dodgers. When he was on the Angels, I never heard Creig Council complain, right, all right, thanks a lot, all right, thank you, Rudy eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. And in case you missed it, on the show yesterday, we shared Andrew Friedman's response to all this Otani rule, Uh, you know, sour grapes from Craig Council and others around Major League Baseball. You can hear that full conversation during our Dodger Talk show yesterday on the iHeartRadio app, and our full conversation with Andrew Freeman as well on the iHeartRadio app. You'll find it on Dodger Talk. Make it a preset, download it, subscribe and you'll never miss any one of those insightful conversations, at least from the per I'm talking to. For me, no inside at all. Let's go out to Palm Springs.
Speaker 3: Richard. You're on Dodger Talk Live. From Dodger Stadium. How you doing, Richard?
Speaker 11: Good David, just.
Speaker 9: Want to let you know that there's no Lake Snell sighting at stage coach.
Speaker 2: Oh, good to know. And I saw him today on the field. I saw him on the field today, Richard, So I appreciate that. I'm glad he stayed away from Stagecoach.
Speaker 9: I just have a quick question, when Mookie and when uh Tommy come back, who do you think is going to get Sun back down the triple eighth?
Speaker 8: That's it?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, Tommy Edmund's not coming back until the end of May, so there's a lot of time for that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: So the uh, the question would be when Mookie Betts comes back in the next maybe in the next homestand is it going to be Freeland or Kim? And uh, you know, Kim's so dynamic of a player, especially with the speed, and he's playing so well. I kind of feel like, uh, it might Freeland. But the preface of Freeland making the team coming out of spring training is that they didn't want Kim to sit. They wanted him to play every day and they had an opening at second base. But you can move Kim to second base and get those reps that Freeland's getting. So I would say, right now, Kim is more of a dynamic player and until Tommy Edmund comes back, could get more of a runway at second base.
Speaker 3: So if I had to choose, that's the way I would go.
Speaker 12: All right, Well, thanks for your input. You know, I like these new guys are that.
Speaker 13: I came up, and you know, I guess we could have bigger problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, You could be the Phillies. Did they win today? They've lost ten in a row coming into today they lost again. They've lost eleven in a row, so everybody was freaking out over Friday night. You could be the Phillies right now, with one of the top five payrolls like the Mets and being last play.
Speaker 14: All right, David, thank you, We appreciate you.
Speaker 11: Your whole team curshed in everybody from Rick in the food. You guys are awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Rick Monday's the man longest active tenured Dodger broadcaster Rick Monday, who was celebrated with his family for saving the American flag, uh fifty years ago last night. And that, in case you missed it, the American flag that Rick Monday saved is headed to Cooperstown and is going to be part of their two fifty celebration of the country. Uh, since Rick did save that flag fifty years ago. Last night eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head back downstairs to the Dodger clubhouse to hear from Dodger catcher Dalton rushing on sports and at LA.
Speaker 15: I think we were just a little too cute early, try to be perfect, and it's not him, you know. We we recreated the game plan downstairs and Mark kind of let us know, stay on the attack, and I think that really helped us moving forward. Obviously, it's always a good sign to have your starter go six six, shut out even better. But yeah, it's just once again it's a testament to our starting pitching right now and where we're at, and everyone's doing a great job. Obviously we're avoiding runs early in the game, getting out of jams. It's good to see. Uh, but yeah, we're gonna carry it over in the next series.
Speaker 7: He's saying the best thing about what Justin's done this one of these concidence and knowing who he is as a pitcher, Yeah, who is he as a picture?
Speaker 15: He's you said it carries a lot of confidence. Trust every single pitch that he has. He's a lot of them. But like I said, we got a little too cute early on and it took us going downstairs and kind of recreating the plan a little bit and new word attack, attack every hitter, make them get themselves out, you know, And yeah, it worked out for us. For a guy like that, it's the stuff so good. So it's just like it's fill up the strike zone early and you'll get guys to expand as the back goes on.
Speaker 1: To keep trying to nibble it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, just nibbling, you know. And it's easy to do that as a starter for sure, especially if you want to go the distance. You're you're trying to chase strikeouts, in which I don't think he was doing it at all. He just he's very confident and competitive person and if he has the opportunity to be perfect, he's gonna make sure he is.
Speaker 9: Council call the A B against Horner in the second inning where Justin wist on three and ol yah.
Speaker 3: And then he went three and oh to the Suzuki later a couple.
Speaker 9: Of indias later. Can you describe how he came back from those counts to get those guys out in those situations.
Speaker 15: And the Yeah, I think I think it goes back to what I just said. It's just kind of flipped the game plan a little bit. You're not You're not trying to find this corner that corner. It's hey, I'm gonna throw it and hit it if you hit it. If not, we're gonna throw it in the strike zone. And I think once we kind of started to establish the strike zone early as the game went on, obviously we got better results and quicker innings.
Speaker 8: Who justin is a picture is him just attacking his zone and he's not a guy that's.
Speaker 6: Generated a ton of strikeouts, mainly because instead of nibbling, he's been able to so effectively count the zone.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think I think he learned a lot about himself. I've obviously got to work with him a lot in the past, and twenty twenty four was a year that I really think he recreated himself a little bit. He's no more like chasing strikeouts. Guys, get him in the box, get him out of the box as much or as quick as possible. And I think ever since then, he's obviously excelled so much as a picture, but being able to find that as yourself as a player. I think it's very special. And the fact that he did it in twenty four and he's only built off of it since then is obviously a good sign.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Dalton Rushing, who was behind the plate for a second straight game catching Justin Robleski today. Will Smith was not available today because, as Dave Roberts said, for the game, still dealing with some back stiffness, and that was the reason why he was out of the lineup last night day game. After a night game, it was going to be a stretch for Will Smith to catch today dealing with back stiffness. So we'll see whether or not he's in the lineup tomorrow. But Dalton Rushing off to a great start, and certainly a lot of teams would love to have a backup catcher the caliber of Dalton Rushing. And for Justin Robleski and the Dodgers pitching staff, that was their eighteenth quality start this year. That's the most by any team in Major League Baseball. And for those that were taking shots at the Dodger bullpen on Friday night, just want to put this on your table This was the thirteenth time this year the Dodger bullpen did not allow run after Justin Robleski came out of the game in the after six shutout innings tonight, So Robleski goes six shutout innings and then the Dodger bullpen put up zeros for the next three Let's go out to Santa Barbara.
Speaker 3: John. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, John?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Good, Thank you. I love your show. This is the greatest channel and the greatest fans. A shout out too to all the fans to call in. I really like listening to you and keep it up. So I'm calling in to talk about the issue of closing. People want to talk about starting games, people want to talk about offense. But as you remember, last year, there was some issues as far as a regular closer. And this year we started out with some of the greatest news in the off season, and that was Diaz joined the Dodgers. But now we've got to wait a few months before he comes back. And I just it looks to me like, well, first of all, the easiest way to close games is to build up huge leads, and we're doing a good job of that. But the best thing, the thing that seems to me is.
Speaker 11: It's like a It's like people.
Speaker 3: So you're concerned about the closer.
Speaker 2: You want to know who's going to close games for the Dodgers, and you just mentioned it right there, John. The Dodgers have an incredible starting staff. They have a potent offense that can have games like last night where they beat the Cubs by eight runs. Today they beat them by six runs. So the Dodgers are not going to be playing a lot of one run games in my opinion. And Diaz when he was healthy before he had to have surgery on his right elbow, was not getting that many opportunities. So that's one way to alleviate a closer issue. The other way to alleviate it is by having a guy like Tanner, Scott and Alex Vassia, and then you're gonna get Brock Stewart back and Bruce star Gratol back, and then in the second half of the season you're gonna get Diaz and Evan Phillips back. So with all that being said, it feels like the Dodgers can navigate the loss of their closer better than most, especially with the way Tanner Scott's been pitching this year.
Speaker 13: Good good. I like that analysis and it gives uh, and it gives us hope. And let's just keep our eye on the bullpen. Yeah, the bullpen is great this year. I've got absolutely no criticism. And I'll tell you one thing. We've got a great, absolutely fantastic coach, and Heat has dealt with this problem before, if you want to call it a problem, and we're going to be relying on him a great deal to figure it out.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Dave Roberts and Mark Pryor, Connor McGinnis and the Dodger front office certainly. I've put together really good game plans for each and every game, and then it's up to the pitchers to be able to execute. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number? Did I forget to mention the Dodgers are without Blake Snell? Yeah, they're missing Graderol brock Stewart, Evan Phillips, Edwin Diaz, and Blake Snell.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 2: Uh, if you've been listening to the show, you know I've been targeting single Demyo as my over under. I feel like it's going to be over Sinkle Demayo. I could see him returning either the week of May eleventh or at the very latest the week of May eighteenth, because Blake Snell is going to go out on his second rehab assignment this Tuesday and pitch for Ontario in Ontario. So if you're living that humdrum life in the Inland Empire, Snell Zilla is going to spice up your Tuesday night. Get out to the Ontario Tower Buzzer Stadium and go watch Blake Snell in his second rehab start for Ontario six thirty five. He'll be taking the mound in Ontario this Tuesday night. I know there's not a lot to do out there in the Inland Empire. There's only so many times you can go to living spaces in Rancho Cucamonga. So how about Ontario go out to the Ontario brand new beautiful Ballpark and watch Blake Snell make a second rehab start this Tuesday night. So Blake'snell there, it is making a second rehab start. And you know, it's cool that the Dodgers single a affiliate is this close to Dodger Stadium. So if you're a fan, and I know there's a lot of them out there in the Ie go out and uh and watch Blake Snell make a second rehab start on Tuesday night at six thirty five. Let's take another phone call Teresa in Covina. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi. Teresa, Hello, David, how are you.
Speaker 12: I just want to say thank you for taking my call and for everything you do. I've been listening to you ever since, I well, quite some time. I've been a Dodger fan for over fifty years. I listen to Dodgers when I'm in my car and at home, and so thank you, thank you. I just want to say it was a great I love listening to Rick Mundy too. Oh my gosh. I just want to say thank you, thank you for all you do. I love your show.
Speaker 3: Ah, thank you, Teresa.
Speaker 2: We love that you're such a passionate Dodger fan, and we have a lot of gratitude for you and for all the fans, because without the fans, there are no Dodgers, there is no Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: So thank you. Teresa.
Speaker 2: Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: We're going to take a.
Speaker 2: Time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back more of your phone calls. We have two lines open at eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. And also you'll hear my conversation with Michael Conforto. He uh not only talked about receiving his World Series ring what that feeling was like, but also reflected on a disappointing year with the Dodgers and how he was able to maintain being a great teammate. And Jose Mota will check in at five point fifteen as well. So a lot to get to between now and five point thirty after the Dodgers shut out the Cubs six to nothing on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Vasse. Showy old Tani leading things on swinging with the first pitch, driving it the other way back it goes head Donna here old Tani's first home run in a dozen games is six to the season, and it's now six to nothing.
Speaker 2: The view from the booth was perfectly clear right there. Show Haltani with his sixth home home run of the year. It was fifty nine plate appearances between o'tani home runs for the Dodgers, and that was the most Otani has gone without hitting a home run as a Dodger.
Speaker 3: But he had a big game today.
Speaker 2: He sparked the offense leading off, getting on base all four times today, stealing a base, doubling, and hitting that home run in the seventh inning to cap off a six to nothing win for the Dodgers over the Cubs. Today, Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, Visit AM five seventy lasports dot com, use the keyword home run and to your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. Coming up in ten minutes, you'll hear from Jose Mota. Also my conversation with Michael CONFORDO. But first let's go back out to the phones. Pedro, who was at the ballpark today. Hi, Pedro, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 11: Hey, what's up DVN.
Speaker 12: How you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, good man.
Speaker 9: We're just leaving the game.
Speaker 13: Me and my daughter Tony is looking good, but she wanted to say hi to you and tell her a story about the game.
Speaker 10: Give me one again.
Speaker 3: Okay, Hi David, Hi, what's your name? I'm Dylan, Dylan. What's up? Did you have fun at the game?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What story did you want to tell me?
Speaker 16: Got a lot of home ones?
Speaker 3: Oh, oh, a lot of homeland and I had a lot of fun. Oh did your dad get you a Dodger dog in some ice cream? Today?
Speaker 1: She got me at you us and not a Dodger dog, been a Hamburger.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you had a great time at the game and hopefully we see you soon. Okay, all right, thank you Pedro and thank you Dylan. See that's awesome. That's what baseball is all about. You bring your son or your daughter out here, you come with your mom or dad, and you build memories. And that's what's so special about baseball, coming to Dodger Stadium and seeing a one of a kind player like show hey Otani, and really the best show in baseball. I've said this for a while now, ever since the Dodger's got Otani. It's more than a game. It's an event, and it's awesome when you come to the ballpark. And that's why being able to hear each other have a conversation at a stadium, that's what's always awesome because during a nine inning game, that's where you could catch up with your family. Especially if you have teenagers, bring them to a Dodger game. They can't escape you. They got to watch the game with you and tell you they're deep dark secrets. Let's go out to the one oh one. Keith, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing.
Speaker 17: I'm doing great, Dave, how are you?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 2: Things can't be better when you're hosting Dodger Talk during the best time of being a Dodger.
Speaker 11: Fan, no doubt about it.
Speaker 17: Hey, So a few years back, I was in Milwaukee. Actually you were kind enough to meet us and talk to us for a couple of minutes there. But there was something at the ballpark there that I really liked that I'd.
Speaker 3: Like to don't.
Speaker 17: Definitely not the slide. So no, I was wondering on the right field scoreboard. You know how they split it in half and they show the picting information on one half and the hitting information on the other half. But why not on the pitching half? Instead of showing the lineup, why don't we show the pitch mix. You know, at the stadium they flash out the pitch, the kind of pitch and the speed, and it flashes.
Speaker 15: Up real quick.
Speaker 8: But you know, at home, you kind.
Speaker 17: Of get to see the mix when it's particularly an along a bat. It seemed to be like more useful than having the defensive team's batting lineup up there during the endiad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could.
Speaker 2: I could understand that. I know what you're talking about, and I've seen that in other stadiums where they had the pitch sequencing of each ad bat up there on the big board. I'm not sure whose advantage that is, whether it's the pitcher of the hitters, but yeah, as a fan, it's cool to see just the strategy between the pitcher and and the you know, the chess match as far as pitch sequencing.
Speaker 3: So, I've seen it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there's room for it or if that's just the style for Dodger Stadium, but yeah, i've seen it.
Speaker 3: I like it. But I like what they do here too.
Speaker 17: I love what they did to a Dodger stadium. I just think it would be a nice talk.
Speaker 2: Okay, well Worth noted Keith, thank you for the phone call. I'm glad you didn't say the slide. Eight six sixnine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers shut out the Cubs today, six to nothing, and they win their first series in quite some time.
Speaker 3: The last time the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Won a series was before they left for that last road trip. They split four in Denver and then lost two out of three to the Giants. But they come back after losing a disappointing game on Friday night and win the next two to beat the Cubs last night twelve to four, six to nothing today, and for the thirteenth time this year, the Dodger bullpen did not allow a run. Shoe he O'tani was on base every plate appearance today. The last time that happened was last September seventh against the Orioles, when he had three walks that day. Today he was three for three with a walk, a home run, and a double. Eight six six seven is the phone number now. The first game of this series, the Dodger players were out behind the batting cage to greet their former teammate Michael Conforto, who played the entire regular season and left field for the Dodgers. Obviously a down year Forfordo, who is having a better year with the Cubs this year. We all know the struggles of Michael Conforto, but through it all and part of the reason why his teammates loved him so much is because he was such a great teammate. And I had a chance to catch up with Michael after he was presented his twenty twenty five World Series ring.
Speaker 7: I didn't know what it was going to feel like, you know, being back here. It's kind of a weird experience for me, Like I wasn't on the roster, but I very much felt like I was part of the team, and I was, you know, able to support these guys and and you know, just be there for him and obviously played throughout the season. But seeing this ring and holding it and putting it on, you know, it's one of one of the cooler moments in my baseball career.
Speaker 12: For sure.
Speaker 2: Everybody has a story. So where were you when Miguel Rojas hit that home run?
Speaker 7: I mean I was top seven of the railing. I mean, you know, we go down one out, you know, still believing, but you can kind of feel, you know, we're running out of time, and.
Speaker 11: I was.
Speaker 7: I was standing next to Kirby Yates. Miggi fouled off a fastball, great swing, and we kind of looked at each other and we were like, he's locked in right now, and I think it was the next pitch hung breaking ball, puts us, you know, puts Us gives us life again. Just going crazy, man, just going absolutely nuts. And the silence in that in that dome. Man, you kind of you know, you just think about that all the time. And I'm sure Miggi thinks about it all the time. I mean, if I'm thinking about it, you know. So just just pretty cool, pretty cool to be there, to experience one of the greatest games ever played.
Speaker 2: Do you ever look back and take inventory of your season last year and why it's going so well this year in Chicago?
Speaker 7: I was just telling Steve, I kind of brought a lot of things that I learned from from this past season with me to Chicago and into my workouts in the offseason and conversations I had with Doc. You know, Doc really just kind of being very brutally honest with me, saying I need to see more, like I need to see you know some I need you to make some baseball plays. You know, move guys, get him in from third with less than two you know, focus more on that stuff rather than slug and you know, big swings and all that stuff. And I really took that to heart, and I think in my role with this team, you know, it's pretty valuable stuff to bring. And and also just like I soaked up a lot just from being around you know, the two time champion, you know, back to back world champions. So I've brought a lot of that stuff with me. And you know, I'm just trying to stay ready when my name's called.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you when you kind of look back at.
Speaker 7: Last year, I mean it's overall it's positive. I mean, these guys are like family to me. I built some some really great relationships baseball wise. For me, personally, it wasn't great, But like I said, I think I learned a lot about the game, about who I am, you know, kind of as a player. You know, just obviously the World Series ring is you know, it's what we come out here and we play for, you know, so to have that and know that no one can take it from me is is uh is.
Speaker 2: The coolest highlight of your season last year being on the rooftop in Tampa with me during the trade deadline.
Speaker 7: We were we were we were red hot at that point, you know, pants on, That's right, I had my pants on. It was it was it was actually hot. Yeah, it was actually super hot. Up their trade deadline madness. We went got out call uh Rock Stewart. Yeah, that was that was fun. That was That was a good time. You're live on the on the phone. You got Freddy to chime in for a little bit. That was fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a good time. That was last year trade deadline. I was with Michael Confordo and Freddie Freeman on the rooftop of the Team hotel. Both those guys did not pack short pants and it was one hundred degrees with one hundred percent humidity. And I'll just say this to you, I'll let you in on something and it may hurt their feelings.
Speaker 3: But they'll get over it.
Speaker 2: Rogan and Rodney always call me at the worst time because their show is right in the middle of when things are happening, whether I'm at home or on the road.
Speaker 3: So I was on the with Rogan and.
Speaker 2: Rodney, and yeah, I think Fred realized halfway through the call that it was the day of the trade deadline. So Michael Confordo sitting right next to me as Fred and Rodney are asking me, uh, should the Dodgers get a left fielder? Should the Dodgers trade Michael Conforto and Michael Confordo sitting right next to me right there. So yeah, that was a fun day. And I think you heard it in Michael's voice just how much being part of this group last year meant to him, and he so badly wanted to be activated during the postseason.
Speaker 3: It just wasn't happening after the year that he had.
Speaker 2: But he was always a great teammate and I love hearing his story about where he was and what he was seeing as Miguel Rojas hit that unbelievable home run with the Dodgers down to their final two outs. Let's take one more phone call before we check in with Jimmy coming from the game. Hi, Jimmy, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 11: Hey, David, thanks for saying in the call my pleasure.
Speaker 14: Uh tough to follow up that touching moment between you and Confordo, but I'm gonna hot take here from Chicago. Love coming out to LA and watching the game. One of my favorite stadiums. Beautiful.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 14: Unfortunately the Cubs did not take the series. I thought we were gonna take the series. We did not take the series. We came back strong in the first game, very strong.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 14: My hot take here, David is uh Otani's going to the Cubs at the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: So does that mean that we should still get rid of the Otani roll? Jimmy if if Craig Council's managing show. Hey Otani.
Speaker 14: So it was talking about that the other day and it got me thinking that the only way we can overcome the Otawani rule, we are going to trade for Otani and we are going to win the Role Series. It is the ten year March. Every ten years, you know this, we with David. I'm in Tarzana right now on the one on one, your home, your backyard, and we are going to get Otani at the trade deadlines.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jimmy, Jimmy, it's not every ten years the Cubs win a World Series. It's every one hundred years.
Speaker 14: Ten years ago from right now, and I'm just saying it's.
Speaker 2: Been Yeah, you got ninety more years to go, Jimmy, maybe your grandkids will see it happen again. Thanks for the phone call, appreciate it. Will see you, hopefully not in Tarzana, but hopefully out there Wrigley Field. Yeah. Sorry, the Cubs are not entitled to winning the World Series because they just barely won one for what the first time in the last one hundred and six years? What happened to that Cub's dynasty? Oh yeah, it's the Dodgers dynasty. All right, let's check in with Jose Mota.
Speaker 4: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, you gotta follow that up, right, ninety more years before the Cubs win another World Series.
Speaker 11: Well, they're a good team, they have the resources, so hopefully they'll put it together at some point. But remember that was Joe Madden magic. It took over our ears.
Speaker 3: You're right, yeah, yeah, magic for sure. Jose.
Speaker 2: We've been talking about show hey Otani the last week. He finally started to show signs of life last night, and he certainly followed it up with a big game today.
Speaker 3: Is he back?
Speaker 11: I believe he's back. I believe it. The approach we saw starting last night, we you and I talked is what we want to see because you know, we talk about posture. It's not just like, okay, the way he's standing, it's like what it does to his heels when he show he is pushed back on his heels as he does not have to reach that he needs to really hit mistakes, and his head's steadier when he's not in his heels. So it all goes together. But I'd like to see more repetitions on the way he takes pitches, uh, laying up some pitches up down on the zone day. But for sure a good indicator. And you asked me yesterday, was that base hit to left field? Just gets him go in the right direction and to get results a whole lot more because obviously you want results, you want conference and it seems like it's trending in the right way.
Speaker 2: A power hitter, only guy to be a fifty to fifty player in a season, but he is the Dodgers' leadoff hitter. If he doesn't get on base, if he's not doing something, it kind of feels like the Dodger offense has to go from zero to one hundred on their own.
Speaker 11: You're right, and you know it's a good point because I've spoken with a Showy about this when he was with the Angels, about leading off, and he says that at times when he feels like this added pressure to perform, like Shohil Tani, it actually helps him, Dave to be a leadoff hitter because he didn'tkn'd of simplify things to say, well, it's not about the power now, it was about getting a base and making sure that the guys behind me have a chance to drive me in. And it works both ways. I mean for himself to see the ball, hit the ball, take his watch. The watts are a big part of his game. It's are the strikeouts, but strakeouse for him are a product of going deep at the counts. About being a leadoff hitter mentality wise, it's always a plus for him. It would be if he was at number three hitter number four here because that way it's all about carrying the low. But now when he gets on, he knows can run and make a difference on the basis too.
Speaker 2: How big was it, Jose for the Dodgers to come back and win these last two games after the way they lost the first game of this series.
Speaker 11: I think it's a statement to the fact that you beat a very good team, you have a team that was not depending on the home run only. We saw some manufacturing yesterday. We saw the watts, we saw the deeper at bats, we saw more team at bats, and then we saw the pitching show up. And I think, going back to you know the comings about the bullpen, these guys, at some point we're gonna have a little slip at year in their day. But to see not the bigger names come through yesterday, it's huge incline and a dryer and again today you find the opportunity to get Robleski to fight through six and that was remarkable.
Speaker 2: Justin Robleski today was remarkable. In my opinion, I said this earlier in the show. I don't know how you feel, but to me, a start like today he was more impressive than what he did against the Mets, considering how he didn't have his best command.
Speaker 11: I agree with you because I know that after pitching in Colorado and talking to former pictures, I mean Hall of famers about the recovery after pitching in Colorado is not easy.
Speaker 10: He came in today.
Speaker 11: And as he mentioned, Dalton, Russia played a huge part in him just calming down and filling his own and not trying to just go out there and throw ninety eight. Big Number two, he knows that the strikeouts sometimes are not going to be there, and you're understanding more and more that by sequencing better and getting some early outs, he's going to go deep into game. Number three is he never cames in. He never comes in in situations where you think there's going to be one pitch away. He just keeps getting better and being challenged at and over all his stuff gets better as the progresses. But I don't know that if anybody brings up the strikeouse. I just hope it's not a matter of him things that he has to do that to win games, because right now he's leading the team and wins by one thing, throwing strikes and pitching into that defense and aspect that I will say, Dave, the defense is one asking the Dodgers where people are just overlooking it. But it's a big part of of why Russian Rabuski talk about the guys being positioned well and getting those aready.
Speaker 3: Else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Dodgers are number one in baseball with defensive runs saved, but a lot of credit goes to the Dodgers' Baseball Operations department about you know, the information they have to be able to position these guys and not have them have to cover so much.
Speaker 11: Ground correct, which is what you do when you have the size, buying all these brains to put it all together and to tell the next n seet, we're better up with you playing here. Don't worry about disc ball, because what happens a lot of times is you give them so much information on different organizations and then they worry about their coverage. Arrange one word or the other. But the Dodgers are convinced, if you get beat in one direction, we tell you to be standing in another, nobody's gonna call you out. Just trust us. And the same Tom had The pitchers will league.
Speaker 10: They understand it.
Speaker 11: Sometimes contact it is their best friend with that tough defense.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us on Dodger Talk. After the Dodgers shut out the Cubs six to nothing. Miguel Rojas had a huge two run double in the first inning. He's thirty seven years old, Jose, he's playing in his last major league season. Whether the Dodgers three pete or not, He's done at the end of this year. And he's hitting three sixty six with a nine to twelve OPS and playing great shortstop and second base. I mean, have you seen anything like this from a player like Miguel Rojas?
Speaker 3: Speechless?
Speaker 2: All right, Hose, we'll catch up with you tomorrow after the game Dodgers and Marlins. Let's take a couple of more phone calls before we say goodnight, Courtney in Long Beach.
Speaker 3: You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Courtney.
Speaker 16: I'm doing great.
Speaker 12: Do we slept well?
Speaker 8: Not slept?
Speaker 16: We took the sea. Life is good. I wanted to bring up, though, I'm getting a little worried about my boy, Freddy freemant him up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, you may think he's cold, but he's really not. He's been hitting in a lot of bad luck. He's hitting the ball hard. And I hate using these stats, Courtney, but it proves what we're seeing with our eyes, how much bad luck he's having. He's in the top five percent of expected batting average, which shows you how much bad luck he's he's been hitting in.
Speaker 3: Nobody or very few have hit the.
Speaker 2: Ball as hard as Freddy Freeman has hit it this year without a lot to show for it. So it's not a case of him slowing down. Saya Suzuki robbed him today in the first home stand of the year. I see two or three doubles taken away from him in left field. So the last two days hasn't been great for him. But for the most part, he's still hitting the ball hard, just not getting a lot to show for it.
Speaker 3: Early on.
Speaker 16: What's he got to do? Get get in the cage. I'm taking a look at it. I don't see anything different with his approach. I don't see anything else like I just I'm perplexed, and I'm seeing anxious. I'm not worried.
Speaker 2: No, no, if he wasn't hitting the ball hard and his bad speed was slowing down, then there would be a cause for concern Courtney. But none of those things are happening.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 2: The first thing he's gonna do is stop doing pregame interviews with me because he didn't get any hits the first night of the series, and who knows, maybe more, you know, sugar cookies can help. But he'll be fine, Courtney. He's Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 3: He'll be okay.
Speaker 16: That's right. I just got to wear his jersey more often.
Speaker 3: I guess right, Yeah, yeah, wear it inside out.
Speaker 16: There we go. Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 14: Day, Let's go Dodgers, all.
Speaker 2: Right, thanks for the phone call. Yeah, don't be concerned about Freddie Freeman. I know the batting average, the hits are not where he wants it to be. He was over four today with two strikeouts, but overall he's hitting the ball hard and he's just not getting a lot to show for it. And that's where you know, slumps turn into bigger slumps, because when you should be getting hits and you're not, and then when you actually do go into a slump, that's where it becomes an extended period of time. So Freddy's just one of those guys that is better than most at sticking to the process and understanding who he is trying to go to left field and up the middle. And he's the guy that I don't worry about at all as far as avoiding these type of situations. But he's human and you could see him when he strikes out or he makes it out. He's not happy. He's got his head down and he's upset because he wants hits and they just haven't been coming at a frequent rate as he would like them to be. So maybe maybe if I take them for a drive, Maybe I should carpool with Freddy Freeman, pick him up in my Hyundai Tucson from my friend Sam at Downey Hunday. How about that? Maybe that'll get Freddy going. No pregame interviews, but I could be his uber for the rest of the homestand in my Downy Hunday. Right, come on, that's the way to go. All right, that'll do it for us today on Dodger Talk. Coming up tomorrow, the Dodgers continue their stretch of playing thirteen in a row. It'll end on Wednesday as they start a three game series against the Marlins.
Speaker 3: Yamamoto on the mound tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Nineties two and two with an ERA of two forty eight going up against former padre Chris Paddock, who has an ERA of six thirty eight and a record of zero to four. Our coverage begins at six o'clock tomorrow with first pitch at seven to ten with Rick Monday, Charlie Steiner, and Tim Neverett. Thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening in case you missed any of the show, or a fun pregame conversation with Will Klein with a cameo from Blake Trining. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score from Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers shut out the Cubs six to nothing. Have a great rest of your Sunday.
Speaker 3: Seal the