Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. Yesterday was a big day for Ryan Ward, his first major league home run. The entire team was excited. Even show Hao Tani posted your home run on his Instagram account. Ryan, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, happy to be here, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: What is it like the day after? Obviously you know you belong here, but still there was so much celebration for what you did from all of these guys. How much did that mean to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, a mental world to me. To be able to celebrate with them and everyone be happy for me was really special, and you know, kind of enjoying the moment and then just taking it all in was really fun.
Speaker 1: How many messages did you have on your phone quite a.
Speaker 2: Bit after the game. Yeah, it took me some time to go through them all, but I tried to apply to at least everybody that I could, So that was awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, the day started with you getting your first start, first game at Dodger Stadium. Could you describe the feelings even before the game started for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was kind of like that those debut ones the butter Flies were there for sure, just like knowing that it was in LA this time, and being able to go out into Dodger Stadium and play and getting out to left field and kind of just just taking it in for a second. I ended my like pregame catch pretty early just to just be able to stand out there for a second and just kind of look around and take it in. So it was a really cool moment.
Speaker 1: What's the balance of doing that, taking it in, knowing where you're at, enjoying it, but also not letting it overwhelm you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think I think that's kind of why I did it, is to like give myself like that that five second period of like, take this in, enjoy it, and Okay, it's not like now now it's time to time to play baseball, time to focus in and get ready to play.
Speaker 1: Isn't it amazing how the game finds you Because before you're a home run, there was a sinking line drive in the sun and left field and you made a really nice playing left field. I mean it feels like the game always finds you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, for sure. I mean I was talking to someone for you and forgot who it was and it was like, hey, the ball's gonna find you. Like for sure, the ball's gonna find you. So so I'll just be ready for it and and uh and trust yours And that's what I was able to do.
Speaker 1: Ryan Ward is our guest before first pitch between the Dodgers and Diamondbacks. And you know, I was mentioning in the beginning of this interview about Otani's celebrating you. What's it like to have a locker two spots away from him here at Chase Field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's incredible. I mean, everyone in this locker room is unbelievable. It's a bunch of superstars in here, and they're all great guys, so it's awesome to be around them all.
Speaker 1: Does it make it more comfortable when you take a game like yesterday, for example, the bottom third of the Dodger order was a bunch of OKC Dodgers, yourself, Freeland and Rushing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, guys that I've played with on coming up through the organ and have relationships with, and it's really cool to be here with them as well.
Speaker 1: How about the fact that you and Freeland were taking batting practice together and then you homer in the same inning yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we almost went back to back there, and we spent the whole morning game planning together and hitting together are like routine together, and then right before the game together, So it was really really cool to hit one, be in the dugout and then watch him hit one and kind of able to celebrate together.
Speaker 1: You are the adult in the rooms, So do you feel like you're the adult in that relationship?
Speaker 2: No, we're good friends. I think we're both adults in their relationship.
Speaker 1: Ryan Ward is our guest as we get ready for Dodgers Diamondbacks the beginning of a four game series. Now, yesterday, you mentioned after the game the celebration and also the fact that your teammates through everything but the kitchen sink on you. Can you remember the ingredients of what was thrown on you in the celebration?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I don't even know. I was covering my eyes trying not to get it in there. So but it was a really cool moment and I'm glad it happened.
Speaker 1: How long did it take you to get all of that stink off you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it took me a while. I took a couple quite a few showers after that, quite a few INSes, just to get it all off.
Speaker 1: Does it feel different this time around because Freddie went on the paternity list. This is going to be a longer period of time that you're here because Taoskar's out for a month. Does that put you at ease a little more?
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, a little bit, but kind of just take in the day by day, you know, going through my routine, not change anything up, and just get my work done and be ready to go every night.
Speaker 1: Here's one thing guys have told me about you. You have every reason to be as salty and bitter as anybody in the minor leagues, but you have such a great spirit about yourself. As Alex Freeland comes into his locker, Freeland, I apologize your big brother. Right here, Ryan Ward said, I was allowed to sit in your chair. Is that okay? If Ryan says it's okay, it's okay. Oh there it is Seaward. Second day in the big leagues, and this guy's getting me in trouble already right here, yourself in trouble. But Ryan, how have you kept such a great spirit about yourself through all of it?
Speaker 2: You know, just just keeping your head up and trusting in the work that I'm putting in and just continue to go forward.
Speaker 1: And do you have to just take it one day at a time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely take it one day at a time, take a one rep out of time, and just have fun with it.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it. Here's looking good today in the desert and I can't wait to see you out there again during this four game series.
Speaker 2: Thank you, I appreciate it.