Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy LA Sports and I'm demand on the iHeart Radio app. This is the Petros and Money Show. You are one of the kind hosted by Petros Papaday guests left school after sixth grade.
Speaker 2: Look at him and the voice of the Bolts not Money Smith. The answer is money. There is nothing you can do. You know it's coming. This is the Petros and Money Show.
Speaker 3: On the home of your world champion Los Angeles Dodgers. Make us your top preset on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Co co co cover cover cover.
Speaker 3: He yeah, that.
Speaker 5: Petro saying money AM five seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. We had Dodger Baseball earlier Dodgers versus Diamondbacks. Tyler glassnow with the start a darn near perfect for any as he continues to build. Gave up a single earned run and that will continue. Next spring training game is Saturday Dodgers White Sox, a home game for both at Camelback Rams Backers. Pitch will be just after one pm here on your home of the back to back World Series champion Dodgers.
Speaker 3: We got Clippers tomorrow versus the t Wolves. Pregame at six thirty tip off at seven point thirty. Dodger Talk with Derek Carr and Rick Monday tonight at seven o'clock on AM five seventy LA Sports. A big thank you to Rodnie Fossio, Colin Yee and Tim Kaits putting in some extra work. And don't forget to podcast our show on the iHeartRadio app for your smartphone or stream it live. Okay, we will do a film noir corner. I have some some relatively sad movies coming up next because it's a sad time of year. You know, when you're Penn State versus Northwestern and the Big Ten tournament, you got no hope. So that's what we're doing in the next segment, a sad film noir corner from the seventies.
Speaker 5: But right now people are paying for this game. Yeah, it's kind of.
Speaker 3: It's a package.
Speaker 5: It's fun effect.
Speaker 3: It's the Yeah We're three fun.
Speaker 5: Fact Final hour of Fun Factors, brought to you by Concordia University Irvines Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration Program. It's fact coach has more influence on others in one year than the average parent person does in a lifetime. Person not parent. Uh, make the most of that opportunity to impact others by finding out more at CUI dot edu slash coaching World Baseball Time.
Speaker 3: My parents were cool, but coach, that was the guy that really pulled me through.
Speaker 5: That was the god. World Baseball Class that continues. Big one last night between Mexico and and Team USA.
Speaker 3: Oh what classic? The World Classic?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: The Spanish national anthem, which means we're hearing a lot of national anthems. Netherlands is d just wait to the World Cup, Nicaragua, Panama, Dominican Republic. Spain is not part of the World Baseball Classic, but if they were, you would find out that Marcha Real is one of only four national anthems in the world that have no official lyrics. Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo and San Marino are the other three.
Speaker 3: Wow right, I mean I knew Spain used to be really good at baseball when the Moors lived there.
Speaker 5: That was their window. Yeah, the Moors were big hitters, that was their window.
Speaker 3: I thought that the Spanish national anthem was the gooner macgroom.
Speaker 6: Have you heard the cryptious But he's no joke.
Speaker 3: He's a soccer very serious. He left there kicks and all that other stuff. Hey, I thought it was Goona macgrooom.
Speaker 5: No, that might be it. Maybe maybe the fun fact that I just read was old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not what I read. Gooner macgroom, the soccer maffoon. All right, it's soccer quick, it's the MS quick, hitch, I'll make.
Speaker 4: It quick, y'all.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The Dodgers played the Diamondbacks in a rousing game at Camelback Ranch today in the World Baseball Classic. Team USA is three and oh that's right, taking on Italy right now in Houston. Give me the gun. The final pool plays.
Speaker 5: Did you see the team that I put together.
Speaker 3: For the US Did you see it? Yes?
Speaker 5: I did that. We know know that.
Speaker 3: Giuseppe Corelli a win and they secure a spot in the quarterfinals. The Mets rookie right ender Nolan McClain is on the mound for the US. Good luck to the United States of America, right.
Speaker 5: And Trek Scooble. Enough, just go back to spring training and stop you.
Speaker 3: Why are you mad about Schooble?
Speaker 5: Matt, Well, it's just like if you don't want to stay, no big deal, go back. Hey, this is what the team wanted.
Speaker 3: But his his wife aka the Detroit Tigers don't want him to stay.
Speaker 5: It's well, I think going into free agency, that's where it going. Like Scott Boris or whoever his agent is is leaning on him and saying, hey man, you got half a billion dollars waiting for you in nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what about sad? That's where you going.
Speaker 5: So last time I checked, Paul Skeen's is still on a rookie deal. That dude was out there throwing ninety eight mile an hour gas yesterday. So either you're gonna do it or you're not. Whatever you choose, no big deal, but don't give us the woe is me? How sad I am to be leaving? I so desperately want to say, then stay sad to know you're leaving. See you in your ice Bombay, We'll see you in Florida.
Speaker 3: Scooble speaking of the Bad Blood Matt the Mala Songren.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, so good. It's like this is the whole Kobe Bryant versus Powell Gasol in the gold medal game against Spain, and Kobe ran right through his chest and it's like cal Raley the Big Dumper. It's different man, there's no contact between you and Randy Erose Rosarena. Like the fact the guy went to I'm.
Speaker 3: Surprised it took you that long to say a rosy game. Your say straight down.
Speaker 5: A rose Raina like puts his hand out. He's like, hey, Bob, and there's just that.
Speaker 3: I didn't know a Rosin talked like Tim Conway.
Speaker 5: Yead Bob sad Bob uh and Cal Rowley just left him hanging. It was super awkward. A Rose Raina was pissed. Quote. I like to tell him in four languages.
Speaker 3: That's what I like.
Speaker 5: Schim your say string down first, I tell him in Spanish. Look, all he has to do is thank god. He has such wonderful parents. His parents are very well mannered. I got to see them two days ago at the hotel. They went to say hi. They gave me a hug, said they were proud of me and happy to see me again. The other thing I want to say to him, I tell it to him Cuban style. What he needs to do is go f himself Mexican style. He can go f himself. And in English. I'm gonna say it though him in English that good to see you. He gave me, he can shove it up his ass and a Rosarina is right, you eightiot cal Riley, It's freaking baseball.
Speaker 3: How dare you turn your back on America? Trace it?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Free agency moves Matt any big ones today? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Pee before free agency and the trade that the Raiders made. The big news is the Ravens have called off the Max Crosby trade. He failed the physical. That knee injury that saw him finish the end of the season in twenty twenty five not playing football on the injured list apparently still nagging, and they do not want to trade two first round picks for a twenty nine year old defensive end with a busted up knee right now. So Max Crosby heads back to the the Ravens get their first round picks back, and the Raider's gonna have to figure out that puzzle with all the money they spent yesterday on the likes of kway Walker and Nikobe Dean and Tyler Linderbaum, you know, over two hundred million bucks spent by them in free agency. So likely they'll trade him somewhere else. They had multiple offers, but certainly something to keep an eye on.
Speaker 3: All right, Matt, This next story's got your name all over.
Speaker 5: Oh but you're the what are the headlines?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not on a headline though. This quick HiT's here.
Speaker 5: Travis Kelcey says that Taylor Swift was his motivation for returning for a fourteenth season with the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable, isn't that great quote?
Speaker 5: And I'm going to do it in Travis Kelcey.
Speaker 3: I thought one voye. I thought they released a statement together.
Speaker 5: I'm going to do it in Travis Kelsey twenty twenty one Voice without a doubt. We shared the same love for do you know what? And we had is you know, to change Matt. You know, we had his desire since we was kids in us selective professions. And then I'm gonna do the rest of it. In twenty twenty six, Travis Voice, just it's amazing to see her keep going to the table, to keep finding new things to write about, to keep finding, you know, new melodies and things like that, and on top of that, just still seeing her.
Speaker 3: She has an army of songwriters.
Speaker 5: You fool of that love and joy and what she does.
Speaker 3: I thought they released a dual statement. There's something sexy about a couple of sharing better, soft yet powerful, strong but sensual, the perfect mix of masculine and feminine. I liked Chloe and Lamar, even with Vic being so annoying about it, more than these.
Speaker 5: Two Clamar he did add and yeah, of course that's motivating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hi, the Jets are gonna get Gino back way. Gina's coming back to New York City in a train with the Raiders in exchange for a twenty twenty six sixth round pick. The Raiders will also be sending twenty twenty six seventh round pick in the trade.
Speaker 5: The I saw someone list a rundown of quarterbacks since Gino was their starter when they drafted him in the second round of Remember, he was wearing that yellow sweater like he was supposed to be a first Rider. Ye, he got really upset and.
Speaker 3: Then he dressed like mean mister Mustard. Yeah, it's like Shay Gils. Alexander last night was very upset. But he uh yeah, he's going back. He'll be their starter.
Speaker 5: As we said, not really anything too interesting on the signing front. The Chargers brought back their gunner, Dean Leonard. The Rams have done nothing else. Raiders did all their work yesterday, So it's kind of where we're at.
Speaker 3: The Lakers are thirty nine and twenty five. They're at home tonight versus the t Wolves. Lakers fifth spot in the West. They're only a game back on Minnesota. We'll have James Worthy on tomorrow. Minnesota is a three seat in the West. Luka Doncic has been fined fifty thousand dollars fifty dollars for directing an inappropriate and unprofessional gesture toward a game official during Sunday's game versus the Knicks. Doncicic rubbed his fingers together, making a money gesture as he looked at an official while he was on the floor after attempting to take a charge that was whistled as a blocking foul.
Speaker 5: You are taking the money, right, Yeah, I guess they speaking of that.
Speaker 3: His partner just filed for spousal support, so trouble in paradise partner, Yeah, his wife or whatever, like common law kind of thing. Yeah, yeah, something like that. The Clippers are thirty two and thirty two. They made at the five home.
Speaker 5: Look at that eighteen games before and a month ahead of schedule for your proclamation. Wow, well done, Petros Papadakis. You saw it when nobody else believes been walking around all day with my chest out. There'll take two snacks out of Michelle cube snack Deorge already that sort of already they take four. Uh they're at home tomorrow versus the Tea Wolves. Uh after a seven and twenty one start there back to five hundred. But Kawh, I don't care.
Speaker 6: School, no job ain't done in season, not older, so I mean it's less expected. Like I told the Fifth Stage, we don't train to lose trying to win.
Speaker 5: So yeah, just as sorry, Okay, thanks Kawhi. I mean that's compelling. I wish we could have like a sound by the day from Kawhi Leonard. I think that would help build our cume. You want to cueum it up. I want to cume it up so hard.
Speaker 3: Steve Kerherr wants to destroy the qub. He wants to cut it by ten games. I'm tired of Steve Kurtr trying to solve everything.
Speaker 5: Yes, we mentioned a little earlier, though I do appreciate that unlike the Lebron James of the world, who just say stupid ess about what they're going through versus what other people are going through. At least he decided to do it essentially in like a PowerPoint sort of presentation with a bunch of data.
Speaker 3: Go work for the league, he will.
Speaker 5: I got a feeling he's probably done.
Speaker 3: Get out of there. And the season opening Australian Grand pre weekend was the first real opportunity for drivers, teams and fans to see the reality of the new Formula One regulations. Interestingly, during and after the race, multiple drivers lacking the race to a video game, with Charles Leclair claiming a similarity to Mario kart Ooh, I could be an F one driver. It's like it's really good at Mario cars. I think you have to have probably a stronger knack.
Speaker 5: Hell, I'm out. That ain't gonna happen no matter how hard I've tried. I got that. I got that uh sport mart style cement in cased in plastic uh weight that I hang from my head with a rope and I do my neck roll.
Speaker 3: Oh nice. I think it's like, I think it's one of those things where you have to like power up to get my people. Yeah, it's got the push to power like the car, and so they feel like kind of stupid doing that like it's not a real race. Yeah, it's hard, It's hard. Yeah. Okay, we'll be right back with a film noir corner, something thoughtful to send you into your evening with Vassa and Derek Carr and Rick Monday and Dodger Talk. All right, stay with it. Petro's Papadakis. That money sni. This is Petro. Send money on demand.
Speaker 5: Petro some money sports everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Big victory last night for the Clips. They get the five hundred. Next Clippers contest. We'll be at home in two at Dome. Clippers beat Timberwolves. Check out Adam Ouslin, Tukah the Cat Bob. Are we ready on Clippers Talk available on YouTube daily now that they're back to five hundred and have the third best record in the NBA since December nineteenth, thrice daily, Adam Tuca Clippers Tomorrow Timberwolves tip off at seven thirty, pre game at six thirty.
Speaker 3: And Matt What's coming up?
Speaker 5: At seven oh programming Local programming Matt David Vase will deliver a rendition of Dodger Talk with two guests, the Great Rick Monday. Who you hear on our Am five to seventy LA Sports Back to back World Series Champion Dodger broadcasts with a combination of Tim Neverett Is that right? And Stephen Nelson Toney and I think he might have somebody else, but I Matt, it's escaping me. Matt. Former Fresno State quarterback in Bakersfield resident Derek Carr.
Speaker 7: Piace Hello, back piece, all right, thank you, Matt. God it's like squeezing a z it. It is so when it explodes here it is tall over the mirror. It's time for uh, for the film Noir.
Speaker 2: Corner PMS, Film Noir Corner.
Speaker 3: I'll be too sure.
Speaker 4: I'm as I supposed to be. I sort a reputation might be good business.
Speaker 3: Here here is it again? Petros? All right, Matt, we start. What do we got with a very sad movie from the seventies. Uh, that was a flop when it came out, A very interesting story.
Speaker 5: So how'd you find it?
Speaker 3: Actually, well, it was a flop and then it became big in the in the independent theaters about ten years later. Okay, but in seventy six is when it came out. Mikey and Nikki, Peter Falk and John Cassavitas, a sad, dirty tale, very gritty Philadelphia, one Italian, one Jewish falx, a Jewish guy. What yeah, Cassavetas is the Italo. Now. The movie was directed by Elaine May, who was a beloved comedy person and like kind of like a Tina Fey of her time.
Speaker 5: Okay, And she got.
Speaker 3: Terrible reviews for this movie, and she hid the reels from the studio and they were in her garage and they went back and forth and the movie came in late and all this, and it went so bad she didn't make another movie me for ten years. Guess what, she came back and made Matt Gremlins. Ish tar Oh, Gremlins would have been better. It would have what a return a famous and complex character, Elaine May. But this was a huge success. This is like one of Quentin Tarantino's favorite movies. Anyway, a big fight with the studio. But in eighty six and then again seven years ago they put out her cut of it, and the Criterion Coglection picked it up and it's become a very famous deal overall. Matt, you start the movie out thinking, Wow, this guy, this guy Mikey is h is a really nice guy to help out Nicky, and then you start thinking, Oh, this guy, Nicky's a real a hole. But what's this guy doing Mikey to him? And then as you start to figure it out, it's very revealing. It pulls you in a lot of directions, which is why the old movie makers like it and the actors are really able to riff off each other Matt you know, improvisational rap like you know, acting style with really good actors Faulk and Cassaveta. Yeah, because you can see how much everything sucks between everybody in the movie. It becomes very stressful, deeply depressing. What it is is they're both like racket guys. Nick they are both bad guys. Not really, but yeah kind of. I mean we're just caught up in some ass. Nicky stole money from the boss and there's a hit out on him. He thinks Mikey's you know, it's kind of one of those get through the night type of things, and Mikey's going to help him get out of town or at least hide him. But the truth is Mikey's setting him up. And it goes back. Yeah, it goes back and forth like that. The whole movie and it's your guy, ned Baty is the hit man running around follow him around. So here is my and Nikky. They're having a conversation because they end up at a great he can't control Cassavitis, who's drunk and has an ulcer, and he's going all over town and instead of being at the movies where he's supposed to be to get shot, they're at a graveyard looking for his mother's grave and talking about old times.
Speaker 8: I was just gonna say, it, wouldn't it be great if she was alive? Don't you wish your mother was alive?
Speaker 4: Of course I wish my mother was alive.
Speaker 8: I think that's the reason we're such good friends, because we remember each other from when we were kids. Things that happened when we were kids that no one else knows about but us.
Speaker 4: It's in our heads.
Speaker 3: That's how we know they really happen.
Speaker 4: What are you talking about them? I know what really happened when I was a kid. Yeah, but no one else does.
Speaker 8: I mean, everyone we knew when we were kids is dead, so what.
Speaker 4: I still remember what happened. And I tell Annie about a lot of things that happened to me when I was a kid. And she enjoys listening. Did I you don't know what I mean? Of course, not because I'm stupid.
Speaker 8: Oh I wish I wish my mother was alive. I wish your mother was whie.
Speaker 4: And I wish your father was alive.
Speaker 8: And I wish my father was alive.
Speaker 4: And I wish your brother Rizzi was alive. Did you know my brother Rizzy? Sure? God, don't you remember? I mean, he lost all his hair and.
Speaker 9: Then we called him pull The next day he does and then we went over grave.
Speaker 5: We said we're sorry, apologized.
Speaker 4: It was ten years old. God rest his soul.
Speaker 3: Very depressing movie.
Speaker 5: It's hard to tell which one's the Italian and which ones? Did you really even just from the audio, it's very.
Speaker 3: Terrif fucking cassavetes man.
Speaker 5: And then I was calling Annie.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's how they talked in real life.
Speaker 5: Of course I knew your brother.
Speaker 3: Sean Connery and a comely Diane Cannon in our second noir Corner film nineteen seventy one, The Anderson Tapes. What Matt, this is a Sidney Lumet movie.
Speaker 5: Oh now we're talking twelve.
Speaker 3: Angry Men, Curpercole The Verdict, Dog Day Afternoon Network best of the best. Sidney Lumett Connery not familiar with this one. Had you ever seen it before? I'm I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with your game. I've seen it before. I watched it last night. Connery is a safe cracker and he gets out of jail and goes back to being a thief. This is the very first major film, Matt. If you think about all those movies from the seventies and eighties, like The Conversation, this is the first major film to focus on the pervasiveness of electronic surveillance from CCTV and hidden recording devices. And now, Matt, we just figure our phone is listening to us, so we just all wear it anyway. But it is Back then, everybody was worried, you know, head on a swivel. They got guys shooting it, they got lip readers, they got guys with leg recording devices standing next to people. Quincy Jones does kind of a weird computery sounding soundtrack. Very interesting movie.
Speaker 5: Whoopee bebop, Yeah, a lot of that, a lot of yeah.
Speaker 3: Picture of a camera, Chris Walkin, a young Christopher Walken is in it. Alan King is in it. Diane Cannon stays after Connery sexually so hard. She's like a wild, yipping Laker fan female dog.
Speaker 5: I feel like she still is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of the star of this movie is the surveillance Matt which was very modern at the time, and Tenna cameras Dolverman's the sonic weaponry of today. And the people you root for end up dead, so you can you could just enjoy the movie for the style and the vibe of a master. The Anderson Tapes Sydney Lumette here is Sean Connery recruiting Christa, a young Christopher walkin for his caper.
Speaker 10: I need you to bridge some burglar alarms, open doors, got some telephone circuits.
Speaker 4: How you can do that?
Speaker 10: Jeoffiso set you up in business for yourself. What so some set of a bish can come still me blind? They rip off everything in here, and so you claim burglary insurance.
Speaker 3: I don't know, man, I wasn't for dope.
Speaker 10: See, I don't know how I feel about stealing some guys.
Speaker 3: You got to put them right out of business.
Speaker 1: You rip off this stuff.
Speaker 10: Hold, then the guy's got stuff you can't afford and he isn't smart enough to get insurance. Well, I'm just a hand of fate closing in on him. He's gonna lose it anyway. Is it right to steal from insurance companies? Look, when you rob a guy who's got insurance, you're doing him a favor. You give him have an excitement in his life.
Speaker 4: First theory to that.
Speaker 10: He becomes a more interesting person because you rubbed him. Do you push the insurance com to you because the publicity gets people to buy insurance. You do the fuzz favor because we prove it unnecessary and deserving a big pay boost. And you do yourself a favor because you need the dough.
Speaker 4: Do you believe that it's just dog eat dog? But I want the first bite?
Speaker 9: Okay, Hey, kids, don't want to know what your cut is.
Speaker 3: I trust you.
Speaker 4: You lay what you can on me.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, lay what you can on me. Man, what he's gonna lay on him is certain death. Because they were listening the whole time.
Speaker 5: The whole time they were listening, Matt and that what you said, that's the star of the film, babyep.
Speaker 3: So there you have it, Mikey and Nikki, if you want to kill yourself tonight and the Anderson tapes, if you want to remember a more innocent time of listening devices. We hope you have a great evening. We're not done. We still have the Dead and a live guy Birthday of the Day and David Vasse, So stay with us on m FI seventy La Sports, your home of the Dodgers, back to back World Series champions, defending it and going for a third.
Speaker 1: Petros Papadakis, that money Smith, This is Petros and Money on demand.
Speaker 3: That's it, mercifully coming to an end. Petros and Money. No Dodgers tomorrow, but we will have Clippers three to six thirty show. Oh, the back to back World Series champion Dodgers will have their next spring training game on AMPI seventy versus the Socks. Their housemates have Camelback Ranch on Saturday. And David Vasse has got Dodger Talk next. He's got Derek Carr and Rick Monday tonight.
Speaker 5: I love Rick Monday.
Speaker 3: That's a tough night for Matt Smith on the Dodger Talk. Yeah. Oh, the love is mutual all around for Dave and it will start at seven o'clock. Don't forget to podcast our show.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what Dave, you know, just growing up out of here in Bakersfield.
Speaker 3: Watching all the Dodger make fun of poor Derek Carr, you know, making a run of it in the media. Matt, you know you've known he's gonna be on all day. Dave promoted it before the Don't Forget To podcast the show on the iHeartRadio Apple stream it live a big tank you to Roddy Fossio.
Speaker 5: Growing up, Dave, I was a ROUGHI for Kyle gay Im, I'll be honest with you, He's just he was my god.
Speaker 3: And Tim Gates, our executive producer. Not to mention Colin Yee for his help as well, David Veasse next. But right now it's time for the dead Guy Birthday of the Day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I like doing Alfred Pete. I like coffee. Life's been a bit tough since I've been told to cut back on the caffeine. Uh for a while now. But back in the day, when you wanted your inside scrubbed and you needed to lose a quick three or four pounds, man, nothing did the job like a cup of Petez coffee. Oh all was brilliant.
Speaker 3: You even get tired of these themes, I don't Pete's coffee blows you out. Yes, mister Pete, the mips are down.
Speaker 5: I like my everyday dose low caffeine, shrooms, lions main coffee that I drink now, But man, do I miss every now and then that cup of peats. He was born in Alkmar, Netherlands.
Speaker 3: You know the thing that I guess I've always resented Matt not to be, you know, stamping on Pete or be or strike resentful cords. But you won't let anybody else enjoy a Pizez coffee without telling him how much it's gonna blow him out.
Speaker 5: Hey, you know what that's gonna do. You're smelling it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's oh, you don't have it to you, Thank you.
Speaker 5: You're gonna go sit on that toilet. Coffee was the family business for the Peatz. His father ran a small coffee roasting establishment prior to World War Two. Of course, thanks to the crowds, things got a little sideways there.
Speaker 3: They moved to London.
Speaker 5: Al was working for Twinings Coffee and Tea as a tea taster in the Dutch East Indies and in New Zealand. Took all that experience and he brought it just up the coast there. Sam Francisco nineteen fifty five worked behind the scenes in the coffee importing industry. He could not believe how bad the coffee was that we were willing to drink every morning and all day here. He compared it to what he remembered being World War two ration to coffee, and I don't think that's far off. I think now, if you were to make yourself a cup of Folgers or sanka or brim.
Speaker 3: Heel was very watery.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So to combat that poor quality, he was the solution. Pete opened his own store in Berkeley April of nineteen sixty six. It took off immediately. Starbucks is not a new development, kids, It's been around for sixty years. Basically, it was incredibly popular because of peat. That's right, because of our man, Alfred Pete. He was begged to expand, but he remained dedicated to keeping just his original location at Walnut and Vine. He did not want to put his name on anything that he did not have complete control over. He finally, after several years of roasting beans in the back of that store using one and then five pound roasters, bought himself a warehouse and installed a one hundred and three hundred pound roaster in seventy six, he would add two additional retail stores, one on Piedmont in Oakland, one on Santa Cruz in Menlo Park. He then started selling roasted to order twenty to fifty pound bags of beans that made their way through local restaurants and saw other small cafes and coffee houses opened throughout the late seventies. If you were into coffee, you pretty much came to Pete's to learn at the feet of Alfred, and he was happy to share what he did with anyone that asked. Starbucks co founder Jerry Baldwin was one of his pupils, as was Jamie Anderson and Anderson's.
Speaker 3: Coffee Dick Duncan. That's the only guy that had the doors slammed in her face. It's too munch of a SOUTHI chowderhead weaverses.
Speaker 5: All the big brands that popped up across the country basically were born from our man. Pete. Comfortable with his effort, he sold it in seventy nine, stayed on as a consultant for the next five years. Starbucks bought his original four locations. He retired to Oregon died in two thousand and seven at eighty seven years old Alfred Pete.
Speaker 3: But he was still alive when the coffee thing blew up in the United States, and he was able to look on a coffee empire and smile at what he created proudly, even though he didn't live on top of a pile of cash as he probably should.
Speaker 5: Yes, he sold out in seventy nine, so he did not get that Howard Schultz level.
Speaker 3: Well, we all see how well you could eat if you run the coffee bean and tea.
Speaker 5: Leaf that's a and drink exactly right.
Speaker 3: Really can't and enjoy all all of live spider things access to all these you want to be at athletics.
Speaker 5: You know what I really like to do is I like to have my cup of coffee in the morning and then somewhere around late afternoon early evening. I really like these twenty ounce bud lights. That's seven is It's the perfect pick now. I don't like the small ones. I like these twenty ounce ones. That's what I like.
Speaker 3: Farmer. We don't often do athletes, Matt, but I thought you'd appreciate Ron Mix eighty eight years old today or were USC football superstar Jewish guy out of Boil Heights, But he's a Hawthorne High School Cougar, which is always enough for me at a Hawthorn High just like the Beach Boys. Six five, two seventy A hardcore weightlifter and swall one of the great military pressers of all time. He went to USC, That's what they said. He was all.
Speaker 5: Military press. But they talked to him.
Speaker 3: Hey, three guys they talked about when I was at USC playing football. They said, three guys can military press around here. Ron Mix, Matt Koffler, our backup quarterback, and John Stonehouse, our punner.
Speaker 5: Swallow, So you committed yourself part of that.
Speaker 3: You're right. I mean I had kind of long arms. You know, those guys can really jack it off. He wrote, uh English. That's what they say in uh In in the Europe. You know, if you study English. He wrote English. He studied English. He also studied pre law. In nineteen sixty, when he came out of college, he was the drafted by both the NFL's Colts and the AFL's Boston Patriots wanted him to but his rights were traded to the Los Angeles Chargers. They were the LA Chargers then before where they went down to San Diego. They wanted him and they figured the Baltimore figured, Hey, no one's going to counter off for this guy, because the Chargers in the AFL are going under. That's where they're going, just like Team USA going down. That didn't happen. They did not go under. They dominated the West. Sid Gilman, the coach, called Ron Mix the greatest offensive lineman he'd ever seen. He was an All Star for the Chargers, and there was that for about a decade. Chargers Hall of Fame in nineteen seventy eight, the AFL and Pro Football Hall of Fame, the Jewish Sports Hall of Fame. In nineteen sixty five, in an AFL All Star Game in New Orleans, Mix stood up as the first white player to join his black teammates in a boycott due to the way they were treated in New Orleans. Now it got a little ugly. He got traded to the Raiders. He didn't he didn't want to go to the Raiders, but he got traded to the Raiders, and they had to unretire him, and the Chargers unretired his number when he started playing for the Raiders. Uncool only played one year with the Raider Raiders Kidd in the off seasons, he got his law degree at USD was nicknamed the Intellectual Assassin by his teammates. However, he was disbarred for a bad charity situation. About ten years ago. Matt bron Micks was disbarred. It gets even worse. He was representing NBA player Kermit Washington in the ice I'll punch you right in your face. Not just disbarred, but because of Kermit Washington. He was the GM of the Portland Store in the Old World Football League in the seventies. His wife, Patty died a few years back. The Great Ron Mix really a Southern California football legend Hawthorne High USC LA Chargers, a real trifecta of greatness without a doubt, him and Prince hal hal Betzell, another College Football Hall of Famer. What are the original like past catching tight ends out of USC way before his time, the Travis Kelcey of his day and attractive called Prince hal for hal Betzell Shakespearean in nature, much like the Intellectual Assassin Ron Mix of the LA and San Diego Chargers Military press forever. Oh well, come on him and cough the cough Daddy and Stony. Those three guys Stonehouse still has a bunch of relatives, nephews and sons punting all over America. They're one of the great punting families that ever lived. Okay, Tim Kates, we'll be back on tomorrow with us helping, But Dodger talk belongs to Vassa. Tim Kates did have Derek Carr on first during Saxon Kates in the Am.
Speaker 5: But now he's not happy about it. But now car belongs to Vassa.
Speaker 3: Rader Minnesota's Rick Monday. That's not the original, Yes it is, and we'll be back with more Petrosen money tomorrow at three. Have a great night, everybody, enjoy the Big Ten tournament. For those who celebrate, we're told me back on to tomorrow.