Speaker 1: To grow your money like an investment farmer.
Speaker 2: This is the Boomberg Money Minute on seven hundred WLW. Already, Monica Ritch joins us from the Bloomberg newsroom in New York City. Apparently we're going to start getting some official government data now that the shutdown is over.
Speaker 3: Yes, federal agencies will start working through a backlog of reports now, including September's job figures this week, which will help clarify economic momentum and federal reserve rate cut expectations. We know policymakers have another meeting next month, but those job numbers are expected on Thursday. Inflation adjusted earnings will come out on Friday.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The world's richest men, including Bezos, Sinbusk, and so forth, are talking about traveling to outer space.
Speaker 3: Yes, they want to build gigantic data centers to run artificial intelligence models, and they argue that they could be powered by the Sun's energy, which can be harvested more efficiently in space and could potentially be cheaper.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: This is all according to the Wall Street Journal, which says companies like Google and Video and SpaceX are all working on these kinds of projects. They're even launching prototype satellites now to develop plans for bases on the moon.
Speaker 1: Okay, well sounds good. The futures this morning.
Speaker 3: They are mixed this morning, but pretty much unchanged ahead of a busy trading week. Dow futures down forty points, Nasdaq futures up just three points. SMP futures also down three points from Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: I'm Monica Rix.
Speaker 3: On news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: OK eight ten on the Morning show seven hundred WLW. We do it every morning after the Bengals play. We call it the Morning After, and kind enough to join us each in every week. Former Bengals star receiver and return man Tim McGee. Tim, thanks as always for your time, my friend. I don't know what else we can say. We'll get to the Chase stuff in a minute. But as far as play yesterday, I thought it was a coaching clinic by Mike Tomlin. He found the area of vulnerability in his defense when he played the Bengals a few weeks ago, that being Jamar Chase, and he pretty much shut Chase down. Yesterday. I thought it was a coaching clinic from a great head coach.
Speaker 4: Not only was it a great or phenomenal coaching clinic. The fact that they didn't have all their main guns and they were still loaded and ready to go, and they were still able to execute. And that's just the genius of a Mike Tomlin. And if you want to know why he's been in Pittsburgh so long and had so much success and never had a losing season, now you're looking at the prototype head coach in the National Football League that the guy just knows whether you're doing and he's a motivator, and in my opinion, he's one.
Speaker 5: Of the best, if not the best. Ways.
Speaker 4: Sorry, help me help.
Speaker 2: Me with something here, Tim, because you you were a great player, you played with other great wide receivers. I heard Dave Lapham yesterday talking during the broadcast that he could not understand for the life of him, how the Steelers were double teaming, if not triple teaming Chase and why now he got some targets near the end of the game when it didn't matter, But wondering why not more to t Higgins and why not more to anybody else if they're going to take away Chase.
Speaker 4: Well, let me say the first lap played in the interior linement. So you know, I think he needs to defer that to the pretty boy. But you know, that sounds simple, but it really is. But typically, when you're doubling a wide receiver of Jamar Chase's caliber, you're taking your second and third guy and doubling that guy. You're taking your best cornerback and put him on the second guy, and then you're taking your defense and you're shifting it towards the second guy, and you're basically making someone else beat you. And yes, the Higgins is more than capable of doing that, But I don't think we could have a realistic conversation and expect the offense and Jamar Chase to have two hundred yards every single game. I think that's terribly, terribly overvaluating what a offense can do weekend and week out. So I think we have to lure our expectations to say, Okay, yes, Jamar Chase is an absolute wonderful player, great player, probably the best wide receiver in the National Football League. But he's not going to have two hundred yards every single game. Someone's going to figure it out. Pittsburgh did. Hey, next week, he may have his two hundred yards. But that's just the way things works in the National Football league.
Speaker 2: Okay, walk me through when you're in the huddle. And yesterday here the Bengals are down two scores in the game, We're already in the fourth quarter. They are facing a fourth and inches inches to try and keep their hopes alive, arguably their season alive. And when you huddle up, you're telling everybody Joe Flacco is that, hey, look, don't jump, We're going to try to draw them off sides. What are you thinking in the huddle when you hear that.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, you know you're not very confident when you're not when a coach doesn't bring in a play that we're just it's going to be man versus man. Your faith is in us. So that's sends the message right there, Okay, we don't want to trick you. If you jump offside, that would be wonderful, but nevertheless, we're ready to row. So it is kind of demoralizing, and it does kind of make you think it's like, Okay, does the coach or coaches have enough confidence in us that we can just you know, snap the ball and get a yard, get an into whatever it takes. And I think that is a very very delicate situation where you know, the guys in the locker room, even myself back in the day. You know, you don't want to say it, but that's how you really feel inside.
Speaker 2: I just that whole sequence of events on that drive, to me, was basically the Bengals season in a nutshell. You didn't want to go for it on fourth and inches. Not only do you not go for it, you don't draw the other team off sides, which was the goal, and then you spend a time out to punt. But you know, I just the whole thing. To me, I just sit there and look, obviously not all the issues on this team have to do with coaching, but it was just a sequence of events.
Speaker 1: It said to me.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine a guy coming in here this weekend, Mike Vrabel. Now, some of my people might say, well, Rabel's never coach a team to a super Bowl, and they would be right. The Patriots had won nine in a row. Can you imagine Mike Vrabel saying to his team on fourth and inches, we're not going after this thing.
Speaker 4: You know, to Tom, one of the biggest questions I have to answer your question is the fact that it seems like Zach Taylor is making more fundamental coaching errors this particular year than he's ever had. And it makes me wonder if by not having Joe Burrow back, there was Joe Burrow, or does Joe Burrow eliminate a lot of the mental mistakes that maybe Zack has in this cause or an offensive coordinator has in this call, or does he convince them we're going for this, or does he change the play and has that authority to do it, because it has been mind boggling to me that some of them, you know, you and I text during the course of the games and we're going, what the hell are they doing?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 4: Some of it is just so simple and so fundamental, and especially when you're three and six at the time, heading the three and seven, what the hell do you have to lose? Go for it? And this is they coach that does go for it most of the time. So yeah, it's some of the calls that has just been made on the offensive side, as far as you play calling, as far as the execution, is just absolutely mind boggling.
Speaker 2: All right, help me with something here. I want to get to two topics before you get out of here. Number one, you texted to me and we both agree this season pretty much stick a fork in it. Okay, you're three and seven and you got seven to go. What is the mindset for Let's say guys on defense, let's start there. What's their mindset now for the final seven games.
Speaker 4: Well, individually, the defense has to look at themselves in the mirror and say, am I going to be on this team next year? Because you saw the fans saw a defense without their best player yesterday and you saw they still played okay, but you do not see any really rising stars that you can go, oh man, we can build around that set of or that group or that individual. So from an individual standpoint, the guys got to look in the mirror and go, Okay, if I'm going to have a job here next year, potentially as a starter, I got to step it up. I got to play better. We have to play better, or you know, some hands are going to row and they start with the defensive coordinator. But from a personnel standpoint, if I'm one of those guys, I'm worried because right now, none of them, I mean none of them are playing high caliber football.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's walk through a couple of things here with Jamar Chase.
Speaker 1: Have you seen a video. By the way, yes I did. Okay your thoughts well, if I.
Speaker 4: Have, Jalen Ramsey, I absolutely beat Jamar Chase's ass. I mean, playing and simple, no one spits on it. That is the most disrespectful situation on a I won't even say football field athletically. That is literally the worst thing you can do is spat on somebody at that time or you know, and then deny it. It was pretty obvious and it's pretty sad, and you know it just now when I look at that, we all make mistakes. He made a mistake. Okay, fine, the game is super people cannot even imagine how emotional.
Speaker 5: The game is.
Speaker 4: And sometimes you do lose your coup. I've been there, done that several times. So yeah, I mean, can you recover from it. Absolutely, But it is literally the worst, most disrespectful thing a player can do to another players. And it's sad that the poor kid got kicked out of the game for being spit on us. And it was just absolutely just the wrong thing to do.
Speaker 2: All right, but you played against guys that were in the quote unquote Jalen Ramsey mold and I made the comment earlier. Look, he's the kind of guy that if he's on your team, you love him. If he's on the other team, you despise him. He has been a really good player for a long long time, but of course oftentimes his skills and his success are overshadowed by him, you know, trash talking, wanting to get inside of people's heads. But tim isn't that sort of part of the game. If you're a cornerback and you're gonna go every play toe to toe with some of the game's very very best is to try to find a way to get him off their game.
Speaker 5: Oh, there's no question about that. But Tom, that starts.
Speaker 4: At the little league level level. You're there are people that's talking trash and is usually describing another word with another word. But that's something you are totally one used to, you know that going into and not only is it, does it exist now it becomes a motivating factor to just shut that guy up and just give him the look and talk trash back to him. So and Jamar Chase, come on, we know I mean Jamar Chase, And it doesn't matter if he talks trash and I do you know the guy was playing free and the reason he was playing safety's coming called Jamar Chase eight him alive the last game, So you know, yeah, emotional, got emotional, got a part of it. But you know, even though the guy is known for talking, he still he was one hell of a cornerback and probably extending his career by actually being a hell of a safety. And that was another phenomenal move by Mike Tomlin. But you know, Jamar Chase, you got to keep this cool. And it happened, and you go home and you say I'm sorry, and you just move.
Speaker 5: On from me. All right.
Speaker 2: Last thaying, I asked you about the guys on defense. You and I have talked about this because of the woes of the offensive line and the defense and all this kind of thing, Burrow getting hurt, on and on and on and on. You know, the development of a quote un quote third wide receiver with this franchise has basically been nonexistent. I mean, Yoshi drops another pass yesterday. We talked about focusing on Higgins and Chase. I would imagine that if you're one of those extra receivers, Tim, you better start getting it together like right now.
Speaker 4: I couldn't agree with that more because you have that particular person, that particular position Tom has the easiest job in the National Football League behind a backup quarterback. You know why all the attention is going to te Higgins and Jamar Jays. You're going to get some low level player that's covering you. So the opportunity is going to be there, and all you have to do is just catch the ball.
Speaker 5: Get open, catch the ball.
Speaker 4: Because the quarterback knows and understand the defense is going to rotate. They're gonna double them. Sometimes they're gonna double both of them and just leave you on with a safety or some like I said, some journey cornerback that probably was working at Krogug last week. So the opportunities are there, but no one has stepped up. And man, if I'm in that position, I'm sitting there going there will never be a chance like it was this year, and they're probably going to replace me.
Speaker 2: You're spot on, all right, Tim, Thanks as always for your time. You're the best, my friend. I hope you have a great rest of your day and we'll catch up next week.
Speaker 6: This is a Bloomberg money minute. Some of the most popular weight loss drugs on the market are seeing price drops today. Novo Nords as the price cuts are for people paying directly for the drugs. The price for those paying without insurance had been about five hundred bucks a month for self paying patients. Starting today, you can access both we go Vi and Ozepa for a one ninety nine a month for the first few months, and then it moves to three forty nine a month. The futures are lower to a little change at the startup. A week where investors are looking ahead to earnings from Ai Bellweather in Nvidia deal news this morning, Johnson and Johnson has agreed to buy the cancer treatment biotech haul of Therapeutic. The price tag three point zero five billion dollars in cash. It's part of a strategy to cope with e roading sales bridge major soriasis drug and sharing a table with strangers apparently becoming the in thing. According to new data from the online reservation service company RESCI, ninety percent of gen Z diners say they enjoy communal tables. I'm John Tucker Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Alright, eight forty two on the Morning show seven undred WLW. We do it every Monday. We call it Mondays with Martin Hall of Famer Marty Brennan. You are back in since and that to OHIOH is that right?
Speaker 5: That is correct? Got back last night?
Speaker 1: Did you drive back?
Speaker 5: Yep? Yeah, yes, okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Well glad you made it safe. Glad you made it safe.
Speaker 5: Thank you. Hey.
Speaker 2: I would imagine you got your plan. Well, yeah, I made it. I thank god made it on time. It was on time. Probably broke a few speed limit laws along the way, but you got to do what you got to do. I would imagine you watched the Bengals, or maybe you didn't get to watch it you were driving back.
Speaker 1: Have you seen this Jamar?
Speaker 5: I watched a lot of it on my phone.
Speaker 2: Okay, did you see the Jamar Chase video? I did your thoughts.
Speaker 5: He spent on him. I felt thanks to any question about it.
Speaker 7: I looked at it four or five times this morning ahead of your call, and you can clearly see liquid coming out of his mouth. I don't think there's any question but that he spent on him.
Speaker 1: You know, we were talking with Tim again earlier. There.
Speaker 2: Look, there are things we can do in day to day life. There are things you can do in the course of a sporting event out on the field. Tim just said a minute ago, it's without a doubt crossing the most definitive line you can cross when you do that to another person. I mean, it could be outside of a bar, it could be on the football field in this case with Jamar Chase, and the league's got to come down on him, don't you agree?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean they came down on Jalen Carter six seconds into the twenty and twenty five baseball season when he spit in the face of Dak Prescott, and he was he suspended a game in one year.
Speaker 5: One game salary, which.
Speaker 7: For him was almost fifty eight thousand dollars. So the president that has already been set this season. I don't see how the NFL can do anything but replicate with Jamar Chase what they did with Jalen Carter with the Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 5: I don't see any.
Speaker 7: Other And I agree with him, McGee said. And you know what, it bothered me a lot because I've had such an image.
Speaker 5: Of Jamar Chase. I thought he was better than that. I really did.
Speaker 7: Now, you know, nobody anybody that agrees that he's spent on him.
Speaker 5: I mean, looking at the video, I don't. I don't think it's open to question. I'm just done that.
Speaker 7: Referee Bill Benovich said that they didn't see anything that approach that level. I don't know what the heck he's looking at, but.
Speaker 5: I'm just.
Speaker 7: You know, the Ramsy kid obviously has a track record of being a dirty player. He's been, has had that problem with other places he's been in the National Football League. Again, that doesn't justify what what did occur, And so yes, I agree the NFL has to.
Speaker 5: Come down on him very very hard.
Speaker 2: You and I started talking about this gambling situation, whether it's baseball, and we know about the pitchers for the Indians involved. They're going to court and they're both in big, big trouble, staring down the barrel at years in prison for all this. We know about the situation, it's already occurred in the NBA, and now all of a sudden, the league itself is going to teams and they are demanding to see either it be emails or text messages from employees.
Speaker 5: Cell phones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cell phones and that kind of thinking phone calls. You know, it only makes me wonder, Dad, and we talked about it last week. But man, oh man, if the league is going to this extent, they must feel like they are staring down the barrel at a major problem more than they're sitting on right now.
Speaker 7: Well, I think the thing that is first and foremost in the minds of the people directly involved with this NBA thing also have to feel the same note of concern in all the other major sports, and this includes collegiate football and basketball, as well as all the professional sports. The almighty word that just jumps out at you from a fan perspective is credible or the lack thereof. If the fans of a sport are sports determined that it is so racked with with gambling and cheating and everything else under the sun, we don't.
Speaker 5: We can't.
Speaker 7: We can't if this sport no longer has any credibility, We can't trust them to go out and play a clean game if that happens. Or you talk about an industry having a major problem, and I think that's the thing that they're trying to stem real, real quickly and keep this thing from getting out of hand.
Speaker 5: But you know what, I can't believe.
Speaker 7: When they stook the billions and billions of dollars that they've taken from the gambling industry, that nobody of any position of prominence or power didn't stop and say, wait a minute, now, you know we do we have any clue as to where this might take this our sport or sports, and apparently nobody cared.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you if you were a high school principle. The big story today in Ohio is that all of the principles are part of an emergency vote in a referendum for nil as it pertains to high school students. And all of this is on the lawsuit filed by the family of Jamiir Brown. He's a great wide receiver up at Wayne High School up around Dayton. He's already signed to play at Ohio State after his high school career is over, and he's received offers for endorsement deals of over one hundred thousand dollars. Now, these are not schools paying these kids. These are companies that are paying these kids. If you were a principal and had to vote, how would you vote.
Speaker 5: A question tom, I mean, you know.
Speaker 7: I would I mean from an idealistic standpoint, I would vote no.
Speaker 5: Idealistically because that's where you want.
Speaker 7: All this to continue to be pure and playing for the love of the game and loyal to the end of the world that no longer is in place in collegiate football and basketball and all the other sports.
Speaker 5: They're paying these guys.
Speaker 7: But if you vote no and all the rest of you guys vote yes, it's going to be there whether or not you vote yes or no.
Speaker 5: Anyway, I gotta believe that. Well, when did the vote is this week?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're going to get I guess there's eight or nine hundred principles and so forth. And you know, those on the pro side are saying, way now, there's already like twenty eight states, including all the other big ones like Ohio, that have this kind of thing. It's not a case where the schools are paying them, unlike the college game. You know, I'd be like some kid out your Wayne Anderson who you know, Joe blows bar and Grill wants to pay this kid money for an nil deal, and so they pay them money.
Speaker 7: Yeah right, Well, then again, then again you have to ask your question. If they vote yes and this thing goes into effect, are you going to see the same wild transfers in high school football and basketball that you do in the end in the NCAA where university number four pays a guy, a number one pays of guy, you know, three hundred thousand dollars a year, and University number two wants to get him to jump and they'll pay him six hundred thousand. Are you going to see that type of movement among high school players that you're seeing in the college rights today? I mean, just voting yes or no. Voting yes they put it into place is just a tip of the iceberg, and then you have wild movement among players. I'm just not a fan, and I understand, in its infinite lack of wisdom, the NCAA to begin was the most worthless.
Speaker 5: Organization that God ever put on this earth.
Speaker 7: They do not do one good thing unless they're backed up against a wall.
Speaker 5: And they have to do it.
Speaker 7: It'd be interesting to see where this whole thing could have gone, way back when that kid from UCLA took it to court and the court finally, after a number of years, said yes, you should be paid for what.
Speaker 5: You do at a school. And that's how the NIL came into existence. The NCAA thought they were going to win.
Speaker 7: They were arrogant about it, and they figured, we can win this thing. We're not going to settle. Had they gone to the table and settle, it might not be as bad as it is today might have been, but it might not have been.
Speaker 1: All Right, all.
Speaker 2: Right, I got to tell you, I'm convinced the more and more time goes by, and I was with you on most of this, but the more and more I do games at places of schools in the NCAA. Let's say, wait for us, for example, I had them over the weekend. They're seven and three this year. They're having a great year. Are they going to play in the college football playoffs?
Speaker 1: No, they're not.
Speaker 2: But do I think that NIL has been good for more than just the big boys. I do, because I think they're getting some kids that aren't playing at other places to come to their school. And these kids want a chance to play pro football, in this case one day, and they're getting a chance to finally play instead of just riding in the bench at Ohio State or Alabama or Georgia or wherever.
Speaker 5: No, I don't.
Speaker 7: Disagree with that, but I think you had kids moving way before the NIO came. Tak Joe Burrow, who's the best example on God's Earth. You know, he left Ohio State and went to LSU, and we all know what happened there.
Speaker 5: So it's just not just because of the.
Speaker 7: Nil it's more prevalent obviously because money's involved. But then I don't disagree with what you say, but you have kids that slip through the cracks all the time. They're coming out of high school. We're not good enough to play at a high Division I school, and all of a sudden, the maturity sets in and they've become the player after a year or so that they weren't coming out.
Speaker 5: Of high school. And I agree. I think wake For is a great example of they've had a very, very good year. We'll go to a bowl game.
Speaker 7: Definitely not in the playoff, but they certainly had a nice year, along with a lot of other schools of that type.
Speaker 2: Yep, all right, I hope you have a great rest of your day. Thanks as always for the time, Dad, love you. I hope you have a great
Speaker 5: Day, all right, Bude, and enjoy it, Okay,