Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun. Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 2: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're going to running back to.
Speaker 2: Get in on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David vaseas day.
Speaker 4: Freddie Freeman the hero tonight as he walks off the Dodgers with a one nothing win against his former teammate Kirby Yates and the Angels in Game one of the Freeways series here in Los Angeles. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. David Vasse live at Dodger Stadium with you until eleven o'clock after everybody went home, forty eight thousand plus stuck around for Freddie Freeman to hit a walk off home run against his former teammate Kirby Yates and the Dodgers get the win after losing last night on a walk off home run by Cotel Marte. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Just looking at the great photos that John Sue who took as Freddie Freeman was crossing home plate, you see Mookie Beds in the front row. You see Keith Hernandez in the front row. You see Dalton rushing, Maximuncy, Santiago Espinal and shoj Otani all there as he is getting ready to touch home plate after his walk off home run. And just in case you missed it earlier, this was Freddy Freeman's eighth career walk off home run. As you know, two for the Dodgers when he hit a walkoff Grand Slam in twenty twenty four, and of course his walk off home run and last year's eighteen inning affair. But in the regular season, this was the first walk off home run Freddie Freeman has hit in the one sixty two Marathon wearing a Dodger uniform. He hit five of those in the regular season for the Atlanta Braves. And we had a chance to catch up with Freddy after he was done with the in stadium interview and the fans were still chanting Freddy's name.
Speaker 5: No, I mean I faced Kirvy in the past, but I didn't face him. Then you know, I gave Kirby a little smile, But then you gotta go to work against Kirby with his fast one splitters. You gotta go. You gotta look up so you don't swing at the switter down. So that's what I was trying to do. When I missed a three one fastball, I kind of just kind of brought it closer, a little.
Speaker 6: Bit higher and was able to get a fish to hit Freddie not only the walk off home run, but you and Miguel Rojas teamed up for what maybe the defensive play of the season in baseball when he robbed Nick Madrigal and your Daddy Longe eggs were from first base to shortstop.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think obviously that was a good play. But overall, just defensively all night, you got San Tago diving in the whole, Mookie's making good plays at short all over the place. When Roki's pitching the way you did, you want to do the best you can to get all the outs for him, And as a whole, the defense played a really good game tonight.
Speaker 4: Before I let you go, you were doing an in stadium interview just moments before, and this entire stadium, forty eight thousand plus stuck around.
Speaker 3: And chanted your name. How does that make you feel?
Speaker 5: That's told curious and it's special. Ever since I got here, they've been doing it and it never gets old. It really doesn't. It's an incredible feeling. So it makes you want to come through when you get those some moments and to be able to come through in front of them. They support us every night, so it's definitely special. It's nice to get the first win of the series and hopefully gets serried win month.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot for stopping Freddie.
Speaker 4: Freddie Freeman a first class guy and a guy that's on his way to the Hall of Fame. What a clutch player won A great hitter he is and he never lets the game get too fast. Freddie Freeman hits a walkoff home run on the sixth pitch of the at bat against Kirbyates, who earlier this year when the Dodgers played in Anaheim had Freddie Freeman in the rest of the Dodgers present him with his World Series ring and Kirby Yates. Last year, during the postseason, even though he wasn't active, he would throw as one of the pitchers to keep the Dodgers sharp in between series, in between games, and that's what I was asking Freddy about whether or not he faced Kirby during those type of nights in October. But obviously Kirby and Freddy have been around a while and they have locked up many times during the regular season. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Also, with Freddie Freeman hitting that walk off home run in the bottom of the ninth inning, the Dodgers now are still the only team in Major League Baseball this season to not have played in extra inning game. Tonight was the sixty fourth game of the season that the Dodgers have played. They are tied for the seventh longest streak of not playing an extra innings game to open up the season. The nineteen ninety two Mariners also opened up the year playing sixty four consecutive games without going extra innings. The team that has the record for the most games to start a season without going extra frames the two thousand and five Boston Red Sox, which opened up the season with ninety eight straight games without playing a tenth inning. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: Roki Sasaki. We can't forget him.
Speaker 4: He was phenomenal tonight, career high ten strikeouts dominated the Angels for the second time this season. Remember a couple of weeks ago in Anaheim, he also went seven innings, allowed just one earn run. He had eight strikeouts that day in Anaheim and the Dogs Rodgers did not make it as dramatic. He got the win after a ten to one blowout over the Angels, who last year beat the Dodgers all six times they faced them. Well, the Dodgers have returned the favors so far and won the first four games of this head to head freeway series, with two more to go here at Dodgers Stadium. All right, we have two lines open at eight six, six, nine, eight, seven, two five seventy. Jose Motor will check in in ten minutes. But let's hear from the fans tonight. Let's go out to Torrance. Kate, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Kate?
Speaker 2: Oh great, that was an awesome win.
Speaker 3: It sure was my question.
Speaker 7: You know, you've talked to Freddy Freeman a lot. Have you ever asked him how he does it with his defense where he's practically doing the splits to make a play.
Speaker 3: I think he's just that flexible.
Speaker 4: He's just that flexible, and he's been doing it for a long time. If you ever see Freddy right, that was a perfect example. How you know his torso's a little higher, he's a lot of legs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Kate, thank you for the phone call. Let's go out to Nick in Long Beach. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 3: Nick.
Speaker 2: Hey, David, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 8: First off, I want to say shout out to pitching staff, especially Peter Scott. Great night, tonight, Ellie, love you, Dodger fans love you.
Speaker 9: Ignore the people so called fans that.
Speaker 3: Are negative Scott, great job.
Speaker 9: I wanted to ask with Sataki, fourth time.
Speaker 3: In a row.
Speaker 9: It's had a great start. Do you push him to the pen with Snell and possibly Glass now coming back off the shelf?
Speaker 3: What did you say, push? Push Rokie to the pen.
Speaker 8: With snap with Snelling Glass now possibly coming back.
Speaker 3: They're not coming back anytime soon.
Speaker 4: Nick Snell just started playing catch for the first time since his nano procedure, and Tyler Glass now is still not picking up a baseball. So those guys are not coming back for at least two months, So you're way ahead of the game here. That's not a decision that's even at the forefront of anybody's mind right now. Nick, I think you need to just sit back and enjoy Rokie.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he looks great about Fitz. Consecutive start, he's like amazing. The slitter looks unbelievable. He's spawning it.
Speaker 4: Well, he's a lot stronger, He's a lot more athletic, Dave Roberts said. Travis Smith, the Dodgers' strength coach, has been working with him since he's signed with the Dodgers, trying to get him bigger, stronger, more athletic. And we're starting to see the fruits of all that labor that Roki has put in, because he's put in a lot of work and also he's going exclusively out of the stretch. That's something we saw in the postseason last year. He hit one hundred miles an hour for the second straight start. So the lower half is a lot more stable. I know that's something that Oral Herscheizer has pointed out, but the reality is, it feels like Roki Sasaki has gone back to being true to himself and he has a lot more confidence and a lot more round presence. And I know his teammates, guys like Dalton Rushing have tried to, you know, get him fired up before they come out of the bullpen gates for a start. So it really has taken a village to get this version.
Speaker 3: Of Roki Sasaki.
Speaker 4: And this is development right before your eyes at the major league level. That's not something you see often, especially with the team like the Dodgers, but you have seen it. And I remember when Alexanthopolis left the Dodgers front office to go to the Braves, and the one thing that he answered when asked about what he learned from and Freeman or the biggest takeaway working with Andrew Freeman, was that Andrew Freeman believed he could get one percent better out of a player. He can get one percent every day better out of a player every day. He had so much faith in even just getting a guy one percent better every day, and certainly that was kind of applied to Roki Sasaki at this level. You have to give a lot of credit to the Dodgers pitching coaches Mark Pryor, Connor McGinnis, Andrew Friedman, and Dave Roberts along with Travis Smith and the rest of the Dodgers staff that you know, never gave up on this guy. Yeah, it might have been frustrating at times, but they kept going and kept believing and understood that this is this is the task at hand, and they should be very proud of themselves for sticking behind him and working with him, and Rokie should also be very proud of himself. I wonder also if something was unlocked in a conversation that he had with you, Darvish in San Diego. I walked by as I was entering the ballparking around one thirty in San Diego, one of those days that the Dodgers played down there, and I walked by a conversation of you, Darvish and Roki Sasaki. You, Darvish is certainly one of the most respected Japanese pitchers and a guy that Japanese players pitchers still, you know, lean on for advice and respect the heck out of I wonder if something mentally click for Roki during that conversation as well with you, Darvish. Let's go out to Emma in Long Beach. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Emma?
Speaker 7: Hey, David how you been feeling you better now all I've been.
Speaker 3: Good the ball.
Speaker 4: No, I'm feeling good, Emma. I'm feeling good after playing some tennis in Arizona.
Speaker 7: Awesome, David. I wanted to make a comment about what you said about Roki. I think that young man is an awesome player, and the best thing about it is he is in an organization that is a family oriented. They all, you know, back each other up and give each other props and help each other out. And that's amazing. These guys are superstars and there is no ego working at Los Angeles Dodgers. That is not happening there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think that's on purpose, that's by design. The guys that Andrew Freeman has brought in character guys that are superstars. And you're right, Emma. When you have these many superstars and great players on one team, it doesn't always come together this way, but they certainly have come together since the beginning of last year. Let's go out to Fallbrooks. Steve, You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 9: Steve, Hey, David, thanks for taking my call. First one, I want to say, I think both starting pitchers did a great job. My question is about umpires checking the pitcher's glove. I understand why they do it and why it's necessary, but my question is what triggers the Empire to decide to do it when they do it. I noticed it happened that after rookie fish first inning and again in the seventh inning. What makes the Empire decide does he suspect something foul? Does he suspect No, that's not right.
Speaker 4: It's being checked after at the end of every inning. They check every picture that comes off the mound at the end of every inning, and when a reliever is coming into the game, before they hit the dirt, the Empire will meet them out there and check the glove. And look, there was a few years ago some extra substance that Major League Baseball wanted to eliminate in police because Major League Baseball is very much advocate of more offense, and the spin rates astronomical because pictures were getting a little extra something on the seams because of that stick. And that's the reason why they have the umpires out there. Thanks for the phone call, Steve, appreciate it. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park Every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action and new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. Speaking of umpires, how about the home plate umpire tonight Gen Powell? From what I understand, it's the first time she has umpired a game at Dodgers Stadium in here young umpiring career, So congratulations to Jen Powell. She did a great job behind the plate tonight, and there weren't too many abs challenges, but when there was, she was not wrong. And we've seen like yesterday, Dalton Rushing call four challenges and he was four for four to get those overturned. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we'll check in with Jose Mota. We'll get you an update on Blake's now and Tommy Edmond and more of your phone calls. At eight sixty six nine eight seven, two five seventy, Freddie Freeman, a walkoff home run in the bottom of the ninth inning beats the Angels one to nothing on the back to back World champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: On air at.
Speaker 2: AM five seventy online at amfive seventy LA sports dot Com and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Tom with David Bassinoky.
Speaker 3: Bets on death. We'll count the payoff Freeman. That's one fly in.
Speaker 2: The air, a deep pride Center Field.
Speaker 3: We're at the wall and we're going home. Freddie Freeman with a walk.
Speaker 9: Off home run here in the bottom.
Speaker 3: Of the ninth.
Speaker 4: Freddie Freeman's getting hot. In his last fifteen games, Freeman has four home runs twelve RBIs hitting three twenty seven, including his walkoff home run in the bottom of the ninth inning off of Kirby Eights to help the Dodgers beat the Angels tonight one to nothing. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card visit and five to seventy lasports dot Com. Use the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the dream Now. I mentioned that the Dodgers lost last night's game because Cotel Marte hit a walkoff home run to beat them in the bottom of the ninth inning at Chase Field. Just to prove the point that certain teams get up for the Dodgers more than any other series.
Speaker 3: This is a great example of that.
Speaker 4: The Diamondbacks were acting like they eliminated the Dodgers in the postseason last night on ktel Marte's walk off home run in the ninth inning. Do you know what the Diamondbacks did tonight? They laid a complete egg. It is a complete letdown in Arizona tonight as the Washington Nationals beat Arizona fourteen to one. So there you go, these teams, like the Angels, the Diamondbacks beating the Dodgers means everything. Earlier this year, I had a GM four boosts down from the Dodgers radio booth, clapping, pounding the desk after the Dodgers were behind in a game. That's the reality of right now, and I just had to share that with you. After the Diamondbacks walked it off against the Dodgers last night. They come back tonight and completely let down. While the Dodgers, who should have been the team a little deflated after a late night home after playing a night game in Arizona to come back to play tonight, they were the team that hits the walk off home run to.
Speaker 3: Beat the Angels. All right, let's get to Jose Moda.
Speaker 2: It's tough to go around the horn with Jose Mota, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Jose Mota.
Speaker 4: Let's start with the starting pitcher who kind of got lost in the shuffle with the greatness of Freddy Freeman in the ninth inning, Rochi Sasaki seems to get better and better by leaps and bounds every start.
Speaker 10: Every single start. To go back to the last six starts, it's been about controlling the strike zone, Dave, and also about not using just one part of the strike zone. He used to be just a dominant arm side type fastball pitcher, and we miss when he missed. He missed a lot up in it against righties and leftives were always leaning out against the plate because he was not missing inside or even repeating pitches on the inside half. You gotta respect velocity, which is my idle number two. Now he has one hundred in his pocket, but now he doesn't force one hundred when he doesn't need to, which is just a smart way of saying yourself up to have some separation between your fastball, the books and slip. He can live at ninety seven, but now point number three, the splitter, Dave. He threw three splitters in the first thing at ninety three miles an hour. It's not his old forkball that's still there, but it's just an example of a guy that's just maturing with the patience of the Dodgers with the absorbancy because they could absorb this with him to develop them in the big leagues, as you've said to the last couple of seasons, but also applying himself to understanding that navigating a lineup at this level is not easy. One through nine. My fourth point is going to be this one. You and I talked about this a lot. You got to pay attention to seven eight nine, that lineup, and don't take it for granted. Every single start for the last six he has really done a good job taking care of seven eight nine, and those lineups are hurting him so much earlier in the season.
Speaker 4: What do you see from him just his mound presence. Is it as simple as saying that he altered this splitter? Is that the real key to his success because all of a sudden, now, like we talked about earlier in the year, when he wasn't as dominant, he didn't have a lot of east west, he had a lot of north south. What can you put your finger on one pitch one thing that has changed his season?
Speaker 10: To me, it has to be the slider. I mean, you know, talking to Mike Trout over in Anaheimer for the outing the other day just convinced me. I mean, guy like seeing one thousands of sliders and he s goes, well, the scouting report that got was he rolled the slider, just rolled it. Now he's finishing it and at times he gets caught sometimes a little short arm with that pitch. But now it isn't the scouting report, Dave is part of the book. It's part of your chart and your car that you see he does have a slider that it's not just showing. He's wopping people out with it and using both sides of the play effectively. So if there's anything go to point to, is this ladder. Because guys have to be more aware of what's going side to side, including left of the batters that were not seeing anything on the inside half that was breaking against them with Sasaki. Now they know it's there. And on top of that is getting stronger. Velocity is there and the separation, which is a key with the same arm speed because he's always had good extension. It's really what separates what's happening with the swings, with the approach, and with his missus. He's he's missing near home plate now where used to be all over the place, He's just missing near the play. He kneels right back to getting into counts by not just you know, counting on one pitch.
Speaker 4: A lot of great defense behind Roki Society tonight. None better than the play of the Year by Miguel Rojas in the third inning, thirty seven year old Miguel Rojas and thirty six year old Freddie Freeman on the other end of it. Can you can you put into context how great and how difficult of a play that was to make?
Speaker 10: Having played second base, I can tell how difficult it was. At thirty seven, I wasn't playing second base. I was already broadcasting. But here's what happens. You have a love that you're starting from. You have Sasaki got Madrago was a pretty pretty decent runner. But the ball deflex the day, your first move is going to be towards the baseball in that direction that lined are you gonna want to get to? But then you got to take another three four steps because now he's got deflected and you know exactly where your short stup is playing.
Speaker 1: So he took the freed.
Speaker 10: Say I gotta go out there and cross over this line and over the middle of the the domin to make this play. But to do it in such a hurry and to have so much in that throw, I had never seen it before. Obviously, have Freddy at first base, who is always going to give you the best effort to cut down that distance. But Maggie is just I mean, he sees like you know, fine line man. Older he gets, the better he gets, the instincts are there, but a very difficult play when he considered that he's got to change directions twice and that have enough of instinct to go. If I go and catch you with the globe, I'm not gonna make a play. If I use my bare hand, I have a better chance. And he got it done, beautiful.
Speaker 4: Is there any other first baseman in baseball that can stretch as far as Freddy Freeman stretched on that throw?
Speaker 10: There's absolutely no way. I mean, look at the wingspan, plaws, the legs. Yeah, absolutely no way. We consider proportion of Opera body Torso and then the legs. Absolutely no chances, I tell you.
Speaker 3: All right, I don't say no chance.
Speaker 4: Well, the Dodgers are going to have a good chance to get another win tomorrow with Yamamoto on the mound. We look forward to seeing you back out here at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 10: Of course, my friend Audios there he.
Speaker 4: Goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast, and he checks in every night here on Dodger Talk. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Angels one to nothing tonight thanks to Freddy Freeman's walk off home run in the bottom of the ninth inning. Want to get you an update on a couple of key players that are injured right now. Is great to see key Key Hernandez and Taoscar Hernandez back in the Dodger dugout. Keike, as you know two games back, strains his left obleaque. He's not going to be back for a couple of months. Ta Oscar Hernandez out for a month after his hamstring got injured on the last homestand but Tommy Edmond, who had offseason right ankle surgery finally has started his rehab games for Oklahoma City, and tonight Edmund played his seventh rehab game in seven games. Edmund is seven for twenty four with a home run and two RBIs. Tonight for Oklahoma City, Tommy Edmund was zero for four with a walk. But it's the first game that he played all nine innings on that right ankle, so that's a good sign. And Tommy Edmund tonight played third base, so he's played a lot of second he's played some left field, he's played some center field, and he's played third base now tonight.
Speaker 3: So that's a good sign.
Speaker 4: Because the value of Tommy Edmond is his versatility that goes along with the offense that he brings. So that's a good sign that the Dodgers have him moving around on his rehab assignment. Also, as expected, Blake Snell, who just underwent surgery two and a half weeks ago, that nanoscope procedure that Trek Skouble had as well, and doctor Neil Elatrosh is the guy that perfected it and performed it on both those guys on both their left elbows. Well, Blake Snell today was thrown from about fifty feet for the first time since having that procedure only two and a half weeks ago. So that's a great sign as well. And Blake should be back within the next six to eight weeks and be ready for the stretch run the second half and October, because he pitched big for the Dodgers in October last year in the NLDS and certainly the NLCS. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go back out to the phones, Frank and Pomona. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Frank, I'm doing good.
Speaker 8: I just wanted to talk about I just want to pick your brain on the likelihood Dodgers are always retooling up grading during trade season. I was wondering what I wanted to hear your take on whether you'll trade guys like Dalton Rushing, Robleski Espinall, and even other players with draft picks to get the big fish like Trek Scuball or even bobbywit Junior. I just wanted to hear your opinion on that.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, Frank, Frank, this isn't the NBA, and I know we're all excited and caught up in the fact that the Rams pulled off a blockbuster trade for Miles Garrett's that's not realistic in baseball. And no, the Royals are not trading Bobby Wood Junior. And no, I don't see the Dodgers trading Robleski or rushing for Trek Schouoble. By the way, Trek Scooble hasn't pitched in a game. Everybody's acting like the trade deadline is next week. It's not until August second. It's not even in July this year. The trade deadline is August second. Before we keep on hyping up Terrek Scuuble to the Dodgers, can we at least see this guy pitch coming off off elbow surgery. And let's not forget he's a free agent at the end of the year, so he's a rental. Do you believe that Trek Scooble is going to put his free agency in any sort of jeopardy, especially with his agent being Scott Boris. I don't see him pitching on three days rest is is what I'm getting at.
Speaker 3: I could be wrong.
Speaker 4: Obviously, he's one of the great competitors, one of the great guys that you would want to have on your team, especially in the postseason. But can we at least see the guy pitch and look, the Dodgers do have the draft the prospect capital to be able to pull off a trade for Schooble, because going back to the offseason, I was hearing that the Tigers were looking for major league ready players and pitchers, and the Dodgers have that. So there might be teams that have prospects, but they don't have players young players under team control that are major league ready the day after they trade Trek Scooble.
Speaker 3: So there's a long way to go.
Speaker 4: And let's not forget the Tigers are in maybe the worst division in Major League Baseball. I guess I would say the AL West is pretty bad, but the AL Central is not much better, So I wouldn't rule it out of the possibility of the Tigers. I don't know somehow someway rattling off some wins and making themselves believe they can be in a race for the AL Central. So Trek Scooble's not being traded tomorrow. The trade deadlines not until August second, so I think we all need to pump the brakes on that all right, Tomorrow, Nothing to pump here at Dodgers Stadium, or you don't need to pump the breaks at Dodgers Stadium. Yamamoto is on the mound for the Dodgers in Game two of this three game series. He's five and four with an ERA of two to eighty six, going up against Jack Kohanowitz of the Angels, who's two and four with an ERA of five twenty three. Our coverage begins at six o'clock tomorrow, with first pitch at seven ten. And speaking of Miles Garrett, the newest ram, the reigning defensive Player of the year, one of the biggest monsters that you would never want to see coming at your quarterback, is going to be here tomorrow throwing out the ceremonial first pitch.
Speaker 3: So that should be exciting if you're.
Speaker 4: Getting here, get here early so you can enjoy Miles Garrett's first venture in public in Los Angeles. And where else would it be other than Dodgers Stadium. So we look forward to welcoming Miles Garrett, part of the Ramilly here at Dodgers Stadium tomorrow night before Dodgers and Angels get Game two of the Freeway series going at seven to ten thanks to Colinie back at our Burbank studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at the ballpark, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can find our pregame conversation with Alex Vesia once again. The final score thanks to Freddie Freeman. The Dodgers beat the Angels one nothing. Have a great rest of your night.
Speaker 3: Seal so brand wily looking at it's true time, Send it away Times