Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey or Dodger talking. I see the phone ringing right now. He is a man of his word. He doesn't do audio calls very often. He loves to FaceTime. And that is World Series Champion, two time, two time cy Young Award winner, the one and only Blake Snell in his Zilla National hoodie somewhere in La. There we go, Blake, thank you for calling in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, how you doing todays?
Speaker 1: I do it great? I mean, are you getting ready to?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Should we expect you on Twitch tonight? Are you gonna be gaming tonight?
Speaker 2: With?
Speaker 1: What should we expect tonight?
Speaker 2: Nothing? Tonight? I'm chilling. I don't be just trying at the crib. So not a night.
Speaker 1: But why don't you I'm doing radio magic right now?
Speaker 2: How much longer you got radio.
Speaker 1: Magic until eight o'clock tonight?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Eight o'clock, eight o'clock sharp? See off season Dodger.
Speaker 2: Talking for Fan Fast? You ready for fan Faest?
Speaker 1: Why don't you announce it right now? I haven't announced it, but you can announce it January thirty, first fan Fest at Dodger Stadium. Blake'snell will be out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait. You're going to be there.
Speaker 1: I'll be there. I'll be I'll be having the Dodger Talk radio show from fan Fest. We'll be out there together again and we'll be doing radio metwork. Temple's I'll bring it, I'll bring it. Have you heard about the Bubbley? I've heard about Bubby coming up with a Shirley Temple flavor.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, you saw ollipop? What a Shirley Temple?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I heard about that too. Have you tried it? Can you give it the pretty good thumbs up?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Pretty good? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So when you're at your house, when you're at your house, do you have like the the cherries ready to go? How do you make your Shirley Temple at home?
Speaker 2: I got a video that I'm a post tomorrow that's gonna show you I like my Shirley. Mmm, okay, okay, that's a snake peek.
Speaker 1: Hey, Blake, we got to tell people what you did for the kids, because I told you my ten year old son is on kids YouTube more than he should be. And this past weekend at camel Back Ranch, you hosted your travel ball kids that you pay for. There is no money being made. It's all going to the foundation to the kids. But you hosted the Zilla National Tournament at camel Back Ranch and handed out sweet gear from rawlings. How much joy does that give you to see the kids light up when you're in front of a rolling strug handing out these incredible swaggy gloves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it it was pretty awesome. But it's like it's my third year doing the Zilla stuff, But this was by far the best. We had big league coaches that really, you know, train these kids the correct way on how to play baseball, how to practice, how to be a good teammate, how to be humble. And we had a lot of good conversations. We had to Dave Inbusters for one of the nights with everybody. That was a lot of fun. And then, uh, yeah, they get the cool part is they get a bunch of cool gear. But the best part is they learned how to be you know, they learn how to practice, they learn what hard work will get you. And then we talked about you know, just being a good teammate, a good person and and how everything will fall into place if you do that. So it was yeah, it was a success. It was a really great time. We're gonna make it better next year, we're gonna get better from it, find ways to to just get more information to the to the youth and to parents. And yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 1: So you had some all star coaches out there, including denu Ebel, Kyle Snyder, Howie Ken Drake, Kevin Long. I mean that's pretty special to get these coaches, the best in baseball from different organizations to show up for the kids this weekend.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, that was amazing. Yeah, Troy Tiliwitski was there. He's hey and coach at Texas.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, we've heard of it.
Speaker 2: He had a great career. Yeah, but no, it was awesome man. And we were at Camelback Ranch, which obviously that's a great place to be and spend your time. So yeah, it was one of it was one of a kind of in the grounds crew there, I mean they did an unbelievable job helping us keep it, keep it feels nice, and and just helping us run it smoothly. So it was Yeah, I couldn't have gone any better. But the kids got better, that's the main thing. They earned a lot and hopefully they take that to their travel ball teams wherever they go. I mean, these kids are from all over the US. And yeah, hopefully they go back home and teach their coaches, their their teammates and friends what it's like to be a good person and train hard.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Blake Snell is our guest on Dodger Talk. This is a great opportunity for you to give, you know, some parents advice on kids in Little League and you know kids that you know parents are trying to put them in travel ball. What's the best piece of advice you can give parents about their kids that are you know, ten to thirteen years old and just how much everybody wants it to be the major leagues at such a young age. What's the best advice you could give parents with kids that want to play Little League or travel ball?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the parents, you're there to motivate to person in a sense, but ultimately it's a kid. It's such as a kid if they want to play, if it's what their dream is, and if that's their dream is to be, you know, the best baseball player, how do you help them? What do you do? I said to the parents, you know, there's there's three questions you ask your your son or your daughter after any any game and it's you know, what did you do good? What did you do bad? What are we going to do better? And if you're ask them those three questions, they can kind of guide the whole thing and then tell you, you know where where to come in and help them at. But yeah, it's just a lot of parents, you know, especially younger like eight to twelve, they all think their kids, you know, the next Ken Griffy and and they get way too wrapped up in it. Man. It's always been about the kids. So so let the kid, you know, let him tell his story and his career the way he wants, and then parents are there to support and you got to push them a little bit. But don't get carried away. They're young, they're trying to figure it out still, you know. Just make sure they're around the coach that loves them and gives him, you know, gives your son or daughter, you know, all the information they can to really learn and get better every day.
Speaker 1: Can you explain to me my son, uh, you know, he's in little league and him and his buddies.
Speaker 2: That I'm staying with you. It's different because you you you got big league coaches and you got to get better, you know, you can't. You got to ask us to help your son. But we know you're talking to him, and that's the problem. You know you need to stay away. Let me talk to let me talk to him. I got you. You don't it in the way.
Speaker 1: He goes down slides a lot better than I do. I'll just say that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, imagine I'm trying into baseball watching you.
Speaker 1: What is going on with these sliding gloves? Though I'm very much against him having these sliding gloves.
Speaker 2: Hey, learn it's it's part of it. A little bit of swag. What about you losing the gonzo huh in that race? People don't forget.
Speaker 1: Man, You're pulling out receipts from a long time ago.
Speaker 2: Snail Zilla's good stuff.
Speaker 1: He got a jump start, and I was wearing Justin Turner's cleats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know whose shoes. You should have been wearing the same boats and you still would have lost.
Speaker 1: Maybe you and me in spring training, we could go toe to toe.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm slow and I still win.
Speaker 1: We'll see about that, Dave.
Speaker 2: I promise you might pull a hammy this time.
Speaker 1: I want It's been a long time since pictures were hitting. I could lay down a bunch and beat you the first base.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, you're getting carried away. Maybe, so let me tell you what. Yeah. One, you ain't laying a button down, You're gonna miss it or pop it up. Two, you running down the first you ain't beating Oh buddy, not even the guy doing a chalk.
Speaker 1: On the line.
Speaker 2: Are you sure about that though? Oh, I'm confident. I've seen your run and that was what I was like. How long ago did you raise Gonzo?
Speaker 1: Oh that was in twenty fifteen. That was eleven years ago.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Yeah, you definitely a guy slower.
Speaker 1: I lost to half a step.
Speaker 2: Half a step? You love both feet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, since you went to Davidbuster's Papa Shot, that's my game. And I know you thought you were good in Saint Pete, but I mean that was a while ago.
Speaker 2: I know I'm good at Papa Shot. It's not I know I'm good Dave. You will get cleaned up.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like that is something that I can compete with you in and not break a bone or ribs or blow out a hammy.
Speaker 2: Knowing you you might jam your finger trying to grab the basketball.
Speaker 1: Dang it.
Speaker 2: Dang yeah, I mean whatever you want to play. It could be ping pong, pool, pickleball. You're gonna lose.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to do with.
Speaker 2: Hand eye coordination. You are not. That's not your game.
Speaker 1: As your life, coach, I'm here to push you in all ways of life.
Speaker 2: You even challenge me in a math.
Speaker 1: Hands down, you beat me in that.
Speaker 2: You say what.
Speaker 1: You would beat me in a math test? I'm not even gonna go there.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Maybe that might be head to head. That might be a tough one right there.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us what? Can you tell? Tell us what Blake Snell's highlight has been since winning the World Series? Was it Jimmy Kimmel? Was it the King's Game? What was What's been the highlight of your championship tour?
Speaker 2: That I'm a Dodger, that's been the highlight of it all.
Speaker 1: Ooh, good answer, good answer.
Speaker 2: Ain't nothing better than being a Dodger?
Speaker 1: Are you ready for making a run to help you get another ring and get the Dodgers another ring? You ready for that? It's right around the corner.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm ready. I'm ready to get back. See the boys, then see the fans, then steal the energy from the fans and how excited they are, how excited we are, and then there's no time, and then we lock in and we we go do this thing together again and win another one.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. I said I was going to retire when Kershaw did, but then you signed on for five more years, so I had to stay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't go, you can't. You gotta stay until I'm done. And then sheehm, probably gonna be the next night, and you're gonna be. You're gonna be. You know, you're gonna be here for another until you ninety five. Oh you might as I just stopped saying it.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, I'll stay as long as snall Zilla does.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hope I'm part of the Dodge organization the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: I think you will be if you keep pitching the way you did last year. I mean, it was incredible what you did against the Reds, the Phillies, the Brewers, and the way you were able to empty the tank against the Blue Jays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll get better, We'll get better. I think there's still a lot more that I can do, uh and learn, and yeah, no, I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: All right. All right, So what's uh, what's on tap? Now? I hear you might be taking a trip to MAUI.
Speaker 2: I might, I might. We'll see, we'll see. Okay, so important thing here, the most important thing. I'll be taking a trip to Fancist. That's the most important thing.
Speaker 1: I love it. I mean, and this guy is like Don King. He is a great promoter. January thirty first, Dodger fan Fest. The gates open at nine am. We will have Dodger Talk from Dodger Fest and Blake Snell will be signing autographs. He'll be kissing babies. He'll be having a sliding glove game going on.
Speaker 2: Something I don't know about kissing babies. We can leave that, yeah for Will Ferrell, not me.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, another one of your Hollywood friends.
Speaker 3: Now I know we're friends. I saw him a couple of times. That's pretty cool. Okay, okay, yeah, so that call about his friends, I'll take.
Speaker 1: It and by okay, yeah, I guess you know, just you know a work friend. Basically, you guys are just working around each other.
Speaker 2: Just put it on the resume. I know him.
Speaker 1: Hey, all right, Snell Zilla, you'll catch him in person. January thirty first, and also catch him on Zilla National's ig and if your kid has kids YouTube, you will see him doing some fun games with the kids out at his tournament that happened this past weekend. He was doing the shell game with sliding mits and all that stuff. The gingerbread guy. My kid has your belt. He bought your belt off of some website, so he wore your belt at his tryouts.
Speaker 2: You look good too. You're welcome. How with some flag too? You're welcome, man.
Speaker 1: Next time, get me a promo code or something belt. How about a promo code next time?
Speaker 2: How about how about a text or a call.
Speaker 1: I wasn't aware of him buying it. His mom bought it for you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, revert backb.
Speaker 1: Hey, Okay, between now and then, get ready for the pitching side of things. But you better get ready for Papa shot. I'm coming after you this spring. You and me.
Speaker 2: Yep, I'll put more focus on the pitching part and the paper sad and beat you in my sleep.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll hit you after the show's over if you want me to. If you send me the voicemail, i'll good too.
Speaker 2: Now do that and just be on the lookout tomorrow. On the Instagram for the Shirley Temple Post.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I love it. I mean I'm in on the Shirley Temples. I put aside the Modellos and now I'm having Shirley Temples.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the big league, Dave.
Speaker 1: There he goes Blake Snell, two time, two time cy Young Award winner, and want him more. All right, Blake, I'll talk to you at eight oh one tonight.
Speaker 2: Sounds good. I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: There he goes Blake Snell, the Great Snell. Zilla. There we go, impromptu phone call. We're gonna take a time out when we come back. Your phone calls. And also Jack Harris from the California Post is gonna call in as well. We'll get some information on Kyle Tucker, Bob Bashett, Cody Bellinger and what else the Dodgers may be doing. Dodger talk until eight o'clock. Let's know, Zilla know right here on a F five to seventy LA Sports