Speaker 1: You don't want to be an American idiots.
Speaker 2: I'm me here on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Well, she can't speak for herself, so her brother is Cincinnati's exiled police chief has been sitting at home for what five almost six months, cashing the paycheck, and the city that has employed her for some thirty five years calls it a leadership failure. The city dropped the bombshell of reports which we knew was coming on Chief Fiji six months, thirty two witnesses and a verdict that could end her career. Other than that, what else is going on? His name is Russ Neville. She he is Terry's brother and sits on the show this morning to start us off on seven hundred WW Russ, welcome in. Thank you very very much, appreciate it to have.
Speaker 2: You're tired of talking about this yet, Well.
Speaker 1: I'm tired of the circumstances surrounding it, but I will never get tired of talking on behalf of Terry and defending her her reputation.
Speaker 3: She's been on leave since October, so five months now. Day to days for her is like what it's an Evan flow. I've said it all along. You know, she had good moments, bad moments.
Speaker 1: She got a lot of family, a lot of family, we support, a lot of friends, support, a lot of members support. Yeah, but it's you know, it comes and goes. It's gut punches like this, and then you have to get yourself back on your feet and you have to get ready to fight and move forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thirty five years in the force, never anything bad to say about her until now. Lifelong West sider. She grew up here, build a career here. That that also has to be really hard. I could see if it's an outsider coming in, but you grew up your and now your reputation is being tartished.
Speaker 1: Yes, but there are benefits to being a local and having the family and the friends that you've developed over the years and the membership affiliation as opposed to being an outsider. Could you imagine being someplace where you're hire from outside and you're going through this alone.
Speaker 2: That'd be hard. I'd be very really hard.
Speaker 3: Relative of the report that just came out from Frost Brown Top Givens that they said that they believe the culture was the she said the best I've ever seen it, And then they came out and said it's one of the worst of all time.
Speaker 2: Did she see this coming at all? Does this blindsider totally?
Speaker 1: Every bit of it has blindsided her. Every bit of it as blindsided her. And all we can do is go through the process, way through the process, defender where we have an opportunity and let litigation run its course.
Speaker 3: Never had an employment review in seven years as chief, thirty five years. Her jackets pretty clean, there's nothing in there. She thinks she's doing an exemplar job because no one's ever said, hey, you're not doing the right thing. Five days before an election, she's out of a job. Essentially, is this political?
Speaker 1: One hundred percent of citizens day one? And we feel since day one that it's driven by the mayor, it's in collaboration with the manager. And there were ways to handle this and manage this without embarrassing and degrading and damaging the integrity and reputation or the reputation on integrity or integrity will never be damaged, a reputation of somebody who's given her life to this career.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and at the same time, you know, the citizens who went to the polls re elected mayor after at Fearville and put the same council back in, So.
Speaker 2: How does that sit with her?
Speaker 1: It's it's surprising and not surprising. It's the reality of elections, it's the reality of politics. But it should have no play or no impact on law enforcement the management of a police department. You have a role, you have a responsibility, you have a dedication and a commitment, and she fulfilled every one of those.
Speaker 3: Russ Neville, and she's, like I said, she's been doing this a long time. Steve m her attorney, called her a scapegoat and also indicated that this may be gender base. She's a first female chief. Do you think jender plays a role in us?
Speaker 1: I hope not, but I think the evidence is leaning towards that being an element of it, and that is obviously part of mister RIM's role, and mister Rim will make that determination proceed forward.
Speaker 2: One appropriate they had thirty two witnesses.
Speaker 3: It said, Look, there's a culture of fear of retaliation and retribution in there. Do you believe that your sister maybe had what was different at work than she was around you?
Speaker 1: One percent? Not. The reality of it is I was around her for work for twenty plus years of it. She doesn't have a retaliatory bone in her body. She is very maternal, very caring, very supportive. She knows birthdays, she knows circumstances. She has no family situations, and she approaches them, addresses them, discusses them, cares one hundred percent cares. That is an out like, outright lie or a misperception by that few.
Speaker 3: I had FOP president Ken Kober on the show yesterday and I asked him that same question. He said, well, if that's true, you have to fire every chief ever, because every department has some level of it. It's so bad it's not functioning. He said, But that's not Cincinnati. But you know there's that level of animosity in every department because there's battles, there's unions, there's there's hierarchies. You're going to have striving.
Speaker 1: It's not limited to law enforcem right, it's it's the reality of the workplace. The workplace and Terry. Anything that was brought to her attention that she was able to have some positive impact on it, she would do it, and she did it with care. Scott. That's I don't I'm not concerned about past years of management. The reality is under Terry's leadership, and supervision. While you will have to scent, you will have disagreements.
Speaker 4: She is.
Speaker 1: A person that places accountability on her shelf and others and places high expectations on performance and consistency. She cared, and she did it through a caring consideration.
Speaker 3: One of the accusations came of the report. Adam russ Neville, who is Terry Cigi's brother, joining the show this morning and talking about this report that came out from Frost Brown Todd about nine pages. The other thing that struck me is, you know before I even read the report, and I did in full, I'm sure you did as well. Is like, okay, six months of investigation, we've now extended their contract three times, and finally report comes out and it's nine pages, Like, well, I've seen reports that are another thousand. I thought for sure. You know, the report comes out, he's like, it looks like the Bible. I mean, it's thick, it's like phone book back in the day, and this is nine pages, like not. And then what I read, I'm like, I don't see a lot here.
Speaker 1: Not only is it limited to nine pages, it's repetitive information, so it's actually six pages of whatever. And then repeated in a conclusion an it's it's bear it's minimal, it's it's non fact basis subjective, it's opinionated, and I'm I'm kind of embarrassed on behalf of the law firm for even putting a document like that together and providing it to the city.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the other element here is okay, so they're counselors, right. A counselor is a lawyer and a council counsel. So you can't force the client. You're the client. Will give you advice, will counsel you, but we can't force you to, you know, admit guilt, innocence, give the money to fight the case or not fight the case. It's up to the individual that are presenting in this case. They're hard by the city with tax payer money. One of the things I learned yesterday talking to to Cober is that they weren't allowed to record under these depositions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's mind, the same way they weren't depositions. That's my understanding. There is no recording, there is no documentation of it, which I find extremely ironic, Scott, because I spent quite a bit of time at the internal Investigation section with the police department conduct an investigation outside of internal every investigation, every interview is recorded. You lay out your investigation. You show what supports an allegation, what refutes an allegation, whether you want to take that as positive statements, negative statements, however you wanna term it. And every bit of it is laid out, is structured, very thoroughly, sequentially, and it's informative, and you base your conclusion on that, not only that, you support it with fact, based on documentation, investigative videos, recordings, anything that provides the aid in supporting or refuting, whether it's a criminal investigation or ad ministry of investigation. This is so slanted, so narrow, and so non non complete, it's pathetic. Additionally, there's an issue of nepotism. How does that strike the family another it's a perception of whomever made that statement. It's not realistic, it's not true. I'm very, very familiar with the nephew who earned his position. He has a finance degree, he got into the police department, he went to law school, he did law school part time, successfully completed law school, he went on and passed the bar. He has worked another administrative and patrol positions he's earning. He's earned of the position, and people have their perception.
Speaker 3: Hire the best person for the job. But again I think he gets back. You look at the administration, so they alleged nepotism. They also alleged that Terry Fiji kind of ran this thing like a theocracy.
Speaker 4: Writer.
Speaker 2: It's like heard's the final word, the.
Speaker 3: Disagreements, chain of command, top down mentality, and yet the same administration runs the mayor's office that way. There's no accountability. There's a top down mentality if you look at and I think there's truth to it. The Alchrvisky case where okay, all of a sudden, never Adam Henny is the guy who winds up writing the arrest warrant because the detective said there's no crime here. He did it, and now he's the inter re chief because he's obeying the marching orders. And that was not a political arrest, but it certainly looks like it was a political arrest because they threw the case out. And then the other one about nepotism is Iris Rawley, who is a community activist works for the Mayor's department, makes over one hundred thousand dollars a year and her sad is working alongside her. So why would they point the dirty in the sticke of Terry Thiji when they themselves from Aftab and sure along on down are doing the same thing.
Speaker 1: Themselves because it's beneficial to their mythical narrative of an ineffective leadership and their pursuing termination. The reality of it is that Scott, I do want to say yes, couldn't care less that the administration's city Hall the eggs the way they do it's wrong.
Speaker 2: Deal with it.
Speaker 1: Voters decide that, however, I will tell you that is not how Terry manages, and the facts of that will come out when litigation depositions are provided. And we look forward to the depositions, not in a fund way, but forward to achieving the goal in hand of the depositions of each of every one of those that weren't interviewed, and those that makes such allegations provide some facts, because we got facts that refute it, and that will be the reality.
Speaker 3: She flies out to Denver, is out there, wheels go down, her phone blows up, get your asspect to Cincinnati, and then she's suspended, slash fired.
Speaker 2: What were that seventy two hours like for her.
Speaker 1: In the family, miserable, miserable, shocking, unexpected, miserable, depressing, embarrassing, and she has fought through it, continues to fight through it, and she's as strong as strong gets Scott. But she's not She's human. She has emotion, she feels pain, but family and community support is aided her and getting through the pain and the disappoint To this point.
Speaker 3: She wants her job back. We know that's not going to happen. Is she still hoping that that that occurs. I don't think. I think there's absolutely no chance whatsoever.
Speaker 1: It's interesting you asked that because I try to avoid that question with her because I wouldn't take it for any amount of money in the world. But but Terry is Terry, and she's strong, and she cares. She continues to care about this organization. She continues to care about the members, she continues to care about the community that she served, and she loves and I mean loves. So if Terry were to elect to go back, if the opportunity was there, I would support her and applaud her, and I would still be going, oh boy, I wouldn't do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I don't think it's an ENVI.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like after you go, hey, I'm resigning, I'm taking a job across the street, and then they offer you more money and you stay, they're gonna resent you from that day forward.
Speaker 1: Oh it's worse than that. This, this situation is much worse than that. If you want to go back for money in a situation like that, okay, live through it. But they've tormented her, They've embarrassed her. You know, I wouldn't touch it. But Terry's Terry's Cherry. Terry's a different breeding that respect. I mean, she really really cares to the end degree, and she has confidence herself. She has confidence in the folks that she had working around her and the members of this department, and if if she were to get her position back, she would succeed to the point that they would allow her to succeed.
Speaker 3: What is so if she decided, Okay, that's out in the cards, they fire her. What you're prepared for that level of olligation because there's gonna be a lot of dirt thrown at her, a lot of shade thrown at her, a lot of things are going to be made public about her.
Speaker 2: Is she have for that fight.
Speaker 4: There is.
Speaker 1: You can't do any more than surprisingly put you on administrative suspension and then put together a mythical hatchet job of a report that only shows one side of a very very very very few people. And we don't even know what those people truly said because there's no recording, there's no documentation. So what more can you do to her? What more pain and embarrassed can you put on her? She has no dirt in her history, Scott, she has no dirt in her personal life, she has no dirt in her professional life. Bring it, Bring it on, Let's go to litigation, and let's have the depositions of those that are putting this pressure and intimidation and embarrassment upon her.
Speaker 3: I don't think they're gonna it's going to be a settlement, right, Bring it on. They would be stupid to take this to trial, well, because I mean, the biggest thing for most people are like, wait a minute, she had had a performance review in seven years, thirty five years on the job, no problems whatsoever of all of a sudden, now days before an election, there's a problem.
Speaker 2: Like if you're the city, do you back that up?
Speaker 1: I take this back to and I continue to mean it. We mean it, I speak as I, but it's a family, it's Terry, it's support. This all started when she tried to implement some judicial transparency or review, and then it progressed to whatever deterioration of the mayor's perspective of her, whatever deterioration, if any, of the manager's perspective of her, and blindsided by all of it.
Speaker 3: Is there an animosity towards Adam Henny? I mean also somebody who's like he's stuck in a weird position because he's the interim chief. In the report they mentioned that having him in there is quote unquote a breath of fresh air.
Speaker 1: I mean that has to sting for Terry. I don't know that that stings for Terry. I think it's absolutely we have no animosity toward the organization. Yah. Terry has nothing but support and care as I and the rest of us for the organization.
Speaker 2: I do have.
Speaker 1: I do hope that the depth is of those that provided interviews or sat for interviews reveals some of what was said. I do believe there are some within the organization who are taking advantage of the opportunity to advance her career and achieve positions, but it's not directed specifically at Adam Henny. Adam Henny needs to run the department to the best of his abilition. This time, he seems like a qualified good guy too. They like him and you know, but it's during this I mean, certainly your sister Terry Thiji is the main victim of this thing. But I feel for him too because he's stuck between a rock and hard pace right now. To some degree, he wanted the job that goes with it.
Speaker 2: I get it. I can be empathetic towards him as well.
Speaker 3: So has any word? Is there any indication what's going to happen next? And how long? Okay, the report came out. Now you think at this point where like we're going to fire her or we're going to bring her back and nothing from the city.
Speaker 2: What are you hearing?
Speaker 1: Nothing regarding any timelines of anything. And the anticipation is the termination will come and then mister m will do whatever that process is and we'll go forward from there.
Speaker 2: I know Steve, he's a really good attorney. He's very good at this.
Speaker 1: He's a he's a super good guy. He's a carrying guy. He's been very beneficial to Terry, and we thank him and the Finny Law firm tremendously to this point.
Speaker 2: All Right, Yeah, it's an imperfect system no matter who's in charge. But I think everyone listenings is pretty empathetic Torch her sister going, she got shafted in this whole thing. And because it us about you know, violent crime and Fountain Square and the beatdown, Well, guess what what did we just have?
Speaker 3: We just have had more violent crime. We had a mass shooting, we had street takeovers, we had you know what happened on opening day, and it's going to be a tough summer for sure. But if they're throwing that this is Terry's fault, that the crime is high, and we're having all the say it's it ain't her, and it's going to continue under Henny.
Speaker 1: Not only one was it not? Is it not? Numbers have deteriorated since she was removed in October, And yeah, you know, crime fighting and problem solving is a very difficult complex.
Speaker 3: And that was in the winter cold winner. Yeah, I fear for what's gonna happen for our city with the warm summer.
Speaker 1: Months coming'ern and we pray for We truly do pray for and feel for the members in the community. But the safety of the membership is paramount to Terry, and so we're hoping that those numbers don't continue to rise, and if they do continue to rise, that the membership remains safe.
Speaker 3: He is Russ Neville is Terry Thigi's brother, not speaking for he but speaking as a for the family and which what she's going through at this point. I appreciate coming in this morning, Rus, Thank you appreciate it. Yeah, yeah, of course, and give her my best too, because she's always come on the show and been Now sometimes we've been confrontational, but she always answered the bell, so I appreciate that confrontation support that really is all the best, and give our best to Terry. It's a Scott flowing show with news in just medical recapped the President's address last night. Gas prices going back up as a result. Will unsort it in minutes here on seven hundred w All w thanks again to Russ Neville, Terry Thigi's brother speaking for the family and interesting times. Indeed, now the balls in the city's court that gets this report out says that Terry Thiji is the worst person in the world because that's why they paid them to fight out. No surprise there, Stephen is right as a hatchet job to some degree. There may be some merits and some facts in there, for sure, but let's face it, you the taxpayer of the city of Cincinnati paying for this report, paying for the attorneys, and that will certainly to think this is somehow I don't know, like the prosecutor's officer or some sort of investigation with the truth to find out there's an agenda here, because that's what lawyers argue. They ar give that all the time, so I think that's also missed for most of the public anyway, that yeah, this is put in the context of the city wants a certain outcome, and that's why I took six months five six months for this report to come out, and they had to extend the fact finding for how long to view the thirty three people to find what they wanted to find and find clause to get rid of her. Now they're looking at public backlash on this, because I think I don't think there's been a poll on about it.
Speaker 2: But I'm pretty good.
Speaker 3: One of the things I'm few things I'm good at would be judging public sentiment and I think the sentiment of most people are like, she got kind of shafted here, because it's not like, you know, we put new things in place and crime stopped. It's getting worse measurably. And that was during the cold winter months. We'll see what summer brings. As always, opening day might be indication of what's coming. Guy, you hope not and hope that it goes back the other way, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon. Is it the fault of the police chief, whether it's Fiji or Henny, or it's the fault of politics and policies at city Hall that voters want? Clearly they want that, and is that what this looks like? But it's going to be very expensive and very interesting in the coming days, weeks, probably months, if not years, if not years. Last night, the President, by the way, watching a NonStop footage here of something that we need is uplifting literally and figuratively, and that would be the Artemis Tuo mission. The worst thing we said is that the toilets weren't working for a period of time, which I joke with ten Reguez Yester on the show. I said, hey, you know, you got, well, I think a couple of women or one woman, a bunch of guys.
Speaker 2: How many times you stop at BUCkies? Hey, there's a BUCkies.
Speaker 3: Let's step And I was joking, but maybe you need to use a restaurant along the way somewhere.
Speaker 2: But they got the bathroom working. If I can offer.
Speaker 3: This, it's one thing when the sign says please do not flush anything besides toilet paper, we mean it as a guy who fixes that kind of stuff. I'm telling you, we mean it. Feninte products, dude wipes, whatever it is. Y'all are flushing there in the rocket.
Speaker 2: Stop it. Just use the toilet.
Speaker 3: It's not a garbage If we have a garbage can for that, we got recycling.
Speaker 2: Don't flush non.
Speaker 3: Toilet paper products, please, and thank you, your colleagues, your coworkers, your ass fellow astronauts, appreciate that. Thank you. Last night President Trump spoke. I did not get a chance to watch it. I was actually working on plumbing, believe it or not, but saw some highlights and you know where's things stand now. The problem with Trump is, as you know, there's to my opinion, there's a number of good things in there. The problem is It's like, if you would just stick to a one message rather than meander all over the place, we'd be much better. And I know I am guilty of that often on this show, so I identify with Trump on that. But the problem is you go, well, you know, regime changes in our goal. But then he said all the regimes leaders are dead, So who are you negotiating with? And are you negotiating And there's no clear finish line here, which is typical regardless of the president, that we have no exit strategy. The discussions are ongoing with the regime we just decimated. And also I will say that when we say we're going to bomb them back the Stone Age, but we're gonna negotiate. It's I can see why the markets are knowing what they're doing today, because it left me confused, quite honestly. But all in all, we know that Iran has been the number one state sponsor of terrorism for decades. You know, you go back to in my lifetime eighty three in the Beirut Marine Barracks bombing to two one hundred and forty one Americans killed, And that's when we're put out noticed Iran to bad people. If that wasn't the case. It certainly was seventy nine, right four years prior with the takeover the American embassy and then the hostages. When Iran beat in every previous administration, by the way, tried diplomacy, it's never really stopped them, and so we just keep kicking the can. Obama's nuclear deal gave Iran sanctioned and they gave him relief, and it gave him a glide path to a bomb, and Trump ended that in his first term when they started rebuilding a secret site after what was it Operation I think it was like Midnight Midnight Hammer or something like that. Hammer time they confirmed the negotiate agreements. We're never going to hold. It's kind of like the peace deal with Israel and pick someone else, which we'll get to about ten oh six. Because it's anti Semitism driving this whole thing. Got a guess on that coming up on the show, because that's really the root of this whole thing. But you know, they never want anything to lie lasting piece as a joke. They keep peace just long enough so they can continue their nuclear program. That's a problem. And if you don't belive me, look at the region. Look at how many people are look at how many countries are aligned with the United States on this, like I'm on and other or not the countries in the region there that are on our side saying, you know what, this is making it difficult for us to print money, and that's what they want to do.
Speaker 2: Those they want to print money.
Speaker 3: Iran is the one screw this thing up, and a nuclear under Ran isn't a regional problem, it's a global one, and the biggest problem right now. The biggest worry for Israel would be Iran. For sure, they get nukes, it's over and regime the chance death to America for forty seven years. Okay, what do you think that's just it's marketing. I kind of believe that. And it's the regime. It's not the people, because the people are oppressed and they want freedom and we are really really bad at nation building. I understand this whole thing. Military in thirty days, by the way, we blew up, their navy's done. The air force is dismantled, They've got a command structure collapsing, and their missile productions crippled. Okay, so the hard part's kind of done.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 3: The hopefully temporary problem here is gasoline at four bucks a gallon. That hurts all of us in a time where we are paying more for seemingly everything and the cost of living is extreme right now. And is that Trump's doing in this case? It is, But I will say that you know, Tehran is extorting world markets by charging tankers for safe packeting pack They're not exactly when you do this, like okay, we'll let's come through, but we're going to charge a toll. Not exactly the kind of people you want having nukes. Now, I've been hearing about nukes ever since what the ninety in Iran's got news Irans, and we saw what happened in rack under Bush.
Speaker 2: I understand, I appreciate, But.
Speaker 3: To me, it's like, Okay, you go in, you blow a bunch of stuff up, you set them back, you cut off the head of the gime. They'll get another totalitarian in there, his son, and they'll run things with an iron fist, and then in ten years we do it all, we wipe. You just kind of kind of keep waiting, and so it's kind of like punishing a dog.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: Eventually, you know, you correct the dog's behavior and the dog will learn it's taken. It's gonna take sixty seventy hundred year should that happen. It's pretty dumb. Round's a pretty dumb dog. But I think that seems the best thing is do we want boots on the ground. Nobody wants boots on the ground. Oh, we've added what ten thousand more troops there? We were at add forty. I had the other thing too, so as fifty thousand troops, Yeah, we had forty thousand there already. We've got bases there. No one wants to see we lost thirteen. We don't want to see another thirteen. We don't want to see another one. We don't want to see more troops injured. I get that, but that's what we have a military for. And the allies that benefit most, which would be Saudi Arabia, the UE, the Gull States, Israel, they're fully on board with this. And you know, I've not liked the UN and NATO for me for a long time has been like, okay, well are they turning into the UN in a sense that you know, if you want the straight open, you can help throw some money and some effort in protecting it. You want your cheap oil, but you don't want to pay the freight, and I understand that. I think from an American point of view. In America first point of view, that makes a lot of sense to me. That way are the world's police officers first and foremost. But yeah, these other nations are doing okay because of that, maybe you can kick in a little bit. It's like having that friend you go for a road trip or you're driving somewhere and they never kick in for gas, get some scratch of the petrol man, let's go, time to pay up. And now Trump's been begging them to come protect the straight if this thing works out.
Speaker 2: At some point.
Speaker 3: Now he turns around and says, well, now you weren't willing to help us, We got your oil back, so now we're going to come at you. And he kind of alluded to that with America being the world's foremost producer petroleum and now that we've got Venezuela on board, things are looking pretty good. It's a short term pain. I just wish you were a little more clear about what it is we're doing, what the endgame was, because there are a lot of contradictions he said yesterday, which is I think that's affecting market. So if he could stay focused on the argument, I think he makes a really good case. Or what we're doing here. I don't want to see a ground invasion. I don't think we're good at regime change and state building. We're horrible at that stuff. But you go, when you blow some stuff up, you'll let them sort it out and they'll start rebuilding right away, and then ten years from now they get close to that sixty percent mark of refinement, you do it again and you'll hope you know again, Does that mean more extremism or terrorism. Yeah, but they've always done that. So in this case, rather than just letting it go, I kind of get what we're doing here now. In the short term, gas prices suck. That is also that's part of the problem, and it's certainly helping Democrats at this point. But yeah, the idea we just ignore them or give them candy and they'll behave it hasn't happened.
Speaker 2: It's never happened.
Speaker 3: And I guess it's part of my generation too, having grown up post Cold War, that I get that they are the biggest threat in that entire region. Now, can you get them back to where they were pre seventy nine into democracy, and that'd be wonderful. But you know what'll happen. There'll be another Middle Eastern state that'll pop back up and try to take that sortaly laid down. Someone else will pick it up. That's just the nature of things. This is gonna be going on with our great great great grandchildren's lifetimes. It always adds and going on to that kind of strife there's going on for thousands of years. It's just new because we have nuclear weapons in modern times. News coming up in about twelve here on seven hundred ww I mentioned anti semitism Robert Spencer and that coming up in minutes, which is really the root of this whole thing. This is a feels versus common sense and you know, I, mister common sense, feels versus common sense kind of issue for me and the victimhood. And I believe you know, here's the thing. Treat everybody fine, treat everybody good. You do whatever the hell you want. I don't care what you do as long as you don't step on my toes. To me, that's kind of how I love my life. We don't have a problem till you know, you start getting into MySpace and I think we have that here. So this one on Nashville, she flies on Southwest. She said Southwest refused to let her board a flight to lax without purchasing an additional seat under new policy requiring customers who quote unquote encroach upon neighboring seats to buy extra seating. That says what that means encroaching on the other seats. It means you're a big person. I just doesn't mean you're fat. I'm sure there's plenty of NFL players at fatnet category as well, but generally think a thick folk. And she was asked that, she said, well, can I test if I sit in the feet? Look, you're not going to fit in this. You can fit in the seat, but are you going to spill over into someone else's airspace? And the whole thing happened with the credit because it's a long confledged story. But anyway, she flew on Delta. She had to pay for three point fifty there, and I don't know how Delta accommodat or whatever the problem is. That's right, it's one of those stories that comes out. It's gonna be about body shaming that you can't treat her this way. You have to treat her like everyone else. Look, I treat you everyone else, but you want special accommodation. So we know that airline seats are tiny. Okay, I get in there. I've got wide shoulders. I used to have a wider ass, but it's less wide these days. I'm trying to do what I can do. I fit in there. I'm fine. Sometimes we shoulder bump. I can't do anything about that. But I'm in my seat. It's not like I'm spilling over into someone else's. It's talking like I'm you know, Dwayn Johnson or something. But I've had sat next to people before, and it's like, here's the thing. If if you are big and you can't keep your body in over the the arm rests, you know, you have the arm rest of war going on.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 3: But you know, if you're coming over to my territory and then you got my two seats, this isn't about body shaming, it's not about any of that. So it's common sense. It's like you're paying, you're getting more than you paid for. I paid for my seat and you're taking you know, a third or quarter my seat. We got a problem because I paid for this space right here, and you are on my space. It's about the space. You can be big, you just can't be in my area. That's how that is. Every story like this focus on the person asked to buy a second seat. Nobody talks to the I don't know, five foot ten guy who spent a four or flight with his shoulder crush, his armor is gone and half his paid seat occupied by someone else. They bought a full seat, they showed up, They did nothing wrong. Isn't any different than a family that goes well, we bought the cheapest fare and we expect to all be seated together. So you have to give up my seat so my toddler can sit next to me. Sorry, no, you didn't pay the I pay the extra to get the seat. You don't get the seat because you show up and you pay this. It's a mixed up world. This is why airline travel sucks. Of course, the airlines don't do anything about this. I let people fight in the back, and then when they act out towards a flight attendant, then that's when it becomes a national story. So they're complicit in this whole thing too, And the part of the story that gets buried is I believe I have to have Jay Ratliffe about this. But Southwest policy includes a full refund for the second seat if the flight is in full. I don't think anyone else is doing that, And they all have similar sized policies and none of them offer a refund cushion.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: I thought of.
Speaker 3: The other thing too, is maybe here's what you do is let the free markets work. Because you I'm a free market kind of guy. Is here's the thing, all right, if you're bigger, you don't want to buy the extra seat, you seat them next to someone who's thinner because they don't use all their seat. You get some I don't know, some bony, skeletor looking chick. You put her in there next to the big and then everyone works out so you're only using ay if you're using two thirds of your seat, I got a third of the seat to give. However, here's the deal. You pay less money. So now we're down to this whole thing. How much space do you take up? Maybe we ought to start weighing passengers. Maybe it's like, I don't know, you go down to Houston, Texas and they're having some sort of cattle drive. You get on the scale. Here you go, you're at show weight. Get on the plane. Here's your seat, you sit next to the thin Maybe we need to do something. I don't know how you do? You know what though I was gonna say, how do you do that? But with AI and facial recognition, all the technology that haven't they could be much easier than ever before.
Speaker 2: You let AI sort it out.
Speaker 3: Here's where you sit the nextion, But then how do you sort out sitting next to your someone you're traveling with. I guess I don't know. Maybe I'm making it a bigger deal than it. This seems like, you know, it's like it's like Jenga human Jenga in Southwest announced a new policy saying, okay, we know that they're no longer it's you know, the free for all where people run on the plane. And it's kind of like, I haven't flown Southwest in a long time, and I used to before I've had this good experience, but the whole nowadays, you know, running to your seat because there's no assigned seating. It's it's like hours before the WBN fireworks, you know, but people are putting their tarpaut with duct tape. On it, saying this is their seat on the Serpentine wall. It might work down on Labor Day weekend, but it doesn't really work when you're taking a flight to the Denver or something. The woman finally suit said, the policy is based on perception of no guidelines, but that's not accurate either. And you know, seat belts, armorss, trade tables, they're not comfort feature, they're essentially safety equipment. Flight attendants are stewardess is until they become flight attendants really where their job is to keep you alive in the event and the rare event of an emergency. And that's what they're there for. And we've talked about this with service animals, and the line that there's going to be an incident that's going to cost lives because of these stupid feel good policies is what it is. And I think you know, once again, like anything, the gate agent handling was poor. They canceled the original ticket before securing the second seat payment and they all these things.
Speaker 2: It all happens at gate. It's like, that's why I get in trouble.
Speaker 3: I don't have room for my carry on because someone's got a cello that they somehow got through and put in the overhead bent and took fifty spaces up. Go Well, why don't you just do your job? Better job policing. But they don't want it. Nobody wants to have this conversation, which is exactly why the airlines have been avoiding it for well over twenty years, and why the passengers the middle seat has been silent. I will speak for the miserable middle seat passenger, having done that before. What about the middle seat passenger? Don't they deserve every right to comfort as everyone else? What about their feels? We'll do news Outslan show on the Home of the Red seven hundred WW Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Do you want to be an American?
Speaker 3: Got flowed here on seven hundred WLW. President speaking last night on the Big One and talked about what's happening in Iran. We saw the markets react negatively today because he said another two to three weeks, so we're negotiating, but we may flatten them. And so again a lot of mixed messages coming out of that speech last night. However, one constant remains true, and that is the problem that is Iran. But it's part of a much bigger problem, and that is anti Semitism. We were called back on October seven, twenty twenty three, when a mass attacked Israel. Here in the US, even we have college campus is rife with anti Semitism and Iran and Israel going at it there war now this one with the United States, and the goal is to stop them from having and acquiring nuclear weapons. That's a decent goal, but it's been impossible to do so far. Robert Spencer is here to put it in perspective, and this is all has to do with anti Semitism, which he studies at the Horowitz Freedom Center.
Speaker 2: Robert, welcome, good morning, How are you say?
Speaker 4: Good get to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, I look at this whole thing, and it seems to me that we are never ever ever going to have peace in the Middle East in our lifetime and most likely in our children's lifetime.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, But you're unfortunately you were correct. This problem is and nobody wants to acknowledge this in Washington really or anywhere else. But the problem is that the Islamic religion dictates than any land that was ruled by Muslims at any time belongs to them forever, and so they will never accept ever the state of Israel.
Speaker 4: There will always.
Speaker 6: Be fighting against it as long as there are people who believe in Islam. And so this is one element of the conflict that none of the foreign policy experts in Washington have ever faced. And yet really it's the key, the defining aspect of the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a nuance there, like a lot of religions, right, and that is the hardliners, the hard line Islamist, the Hamas, yeah, Hesbalah.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: There are plenty of Muslims who can get along with Jews. We've seen that before, and unfortunately it's just those in power, those that seek power and essentially take areas over, these are the ones enforcing those values.
Speaker 2: I mean, I look literally exactly.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, both science have to want peace in order for that to occur, and both sides have to give.
Speaker 6: Things to give the impression that this is something that every Muslim in the world thinks. But the problem is that because these guys are basing their hatred of Israel on Islamic principle, it's never going to go away. There will always see some of the Muslims who think, oh, yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, this is our religious duty to fight Israel.
Speaker 3: If you go back in history, which you're in a story and you know full on good is that. I think there could have been peace all along. But Palestinians continually reject every piece off opportunity for statehood ever made. It started in forty seven, it happened in sixty seven after the Sixth Day War, it happened with Clinton and Arafat. In two thousand and two thousand and eight, the Israeli Prime minister's name escapes me now met with Mamoudabas there. Yeah, yeah, the President of Palestine and said, here, percent of the West Bank will swap some land, you guys take that over. He acknowledged the offering, he said, well it's too and didn't even show up to the next meeting, didn't even to schedule it. So if you've done that over the course of what eight decades, I just don't think they want peace exactly.
Speaker 6: And they don't want peace because it goes against this religious imperative, and so they feel like they if mock foot a Bus were to say today that he wants peace, he'd be overthrown by the hardliners. And so this is a dilemma that anybody who does want peace on the Palestinian side has to say.
Speaker 2: The ceasefire, the peace.
Speaker 3: This time around, it just feels fleeting, like you know, someone probably Iran is going to launch an attack. It is probably after they fully developed and say okay, we have nuclear weapons right now, pull off for the pull out of the treaty. You're going to know that they mean business and they're not going to stop until they do, which is the horrific part of this whole thing. We had the Six Day War, the twelve Day War, we had the quick ceasefire. It's just a never ending story and it's just moving towards something that's going to change the world forever.
Speaker 2: Just it can't be done. So this could be.
Speaker 3: The shortest interview ever. I mean, I honestly, it's always an issue. Anti Semitism is rising. It's ugly head again here in America and elsewhere, and there are waves of this. But for the life of me, this is a problem should have been solved long ago. But you have unwilling participants that simply don't want that. And yet I look at what's happening on college campuses where they're literally calling for death to Jews and Zionists, and I have a hard time digesting that.
Speaker 6: I'll be honest with you, Well, it's coming from the left to tremendous degree that is set against Israel because they're socialist internationalists. They don't like the idea of a state that's based on a particular aspect of people when they want to erase all the differences between people and make it all equal. And then you have the Islamic anti semitism that comes out of the Qur'an. And here again, you know, we can say, sure, there are many millions of Muslims who don't subscribe this. Unfortunately, those that do are out on the college campuses screening these things that you mentioned, and working with the left to menace Jewish students and pro Israel students. This is something that the Trump administration is cracking down upon, and quite rightly.
Speaker 2: I guess common sense knows no age group for sure, or level of education as we've seen at college campuses or elsewhere for that matter.
Speaker 3: I look at this situation just leaves me scratching my heads. I'm not quite sure what the college campus protesters want. They just want Israel to simply go away. They you know, every time Israel backs off, you have a Maha. I mean, explain the October attacks of twenty twenty three, where you're literally raping women, You're taking young people and holding them hostage for days and weeks and months.
Speaker 2: I just to what ends.
Speaker 3: I mean, you want to stop the peril in Gaza and living conditions are terrible, but every time it seems like Israel gives them an inch. Hamas exploits that. You know, the idea that we can't fish more than ten miles off our shore, that's because they opened it up before and i'm as started bringing running guns and everything else into that country, so I had to shut it down. It's completely the actions of this terrorist group. And yet that's never reflected back to them. Somehow, this is Israel being petulant and want to exterminate Palestinians, which I don't understand that.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, the chance on the campuses has been from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free. That means from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea. Every inch of Israel is between those two places and those two bodies of water. And so what they're saying is they want to destroy Israel completely. And then you've got the question, okay, They're nine million people in Israel, seven million Jews and two million Arabs. What happens to them? And apparently what the people who are at least running these protests want is for those people to be killed. It was even a Palestinian leader who said, We're not even going to let them keep their graves. We're going to make the Jews dig up their graves and take them out of this country. Not a single Jew is going to live in the Palestinian state.
Speaker 2: And we also have, you know, the refugee issues in their security concerns, political decisions, divisions I'm sure even within even with the Palestinian group. But if you truly want peace, you can't be an extremist here. You can't create a future where neither side lives in fear of the It's just that that's got to happen. You got to realize at some point that you know, Jews in Israel, that that nation's not going to go away, nor the Palestine Palestinians, and at some point you think that, hey, we've got to recognize each other. But that hasn't happened in one hundred years, so I have no hope of that happening.
Speaker 6: Immediately No, And well I explained why it's never going to happen because it goes against what a lot of these people see as their religious imperatives. And so it's very hard to surmount that you don't go to a negotiating table and give away your religion.
Speaker 4: You know, it's it's not negotiable.
Speaker 3: Robert Spencer on the Scotslane Show is with the Horowitz Freedom Center and last night and Trump spoke about Iran and what the mission is sort of kind of in a Trump way. Nonetheless, we're bombing the hell out of them until they acquiesced. But this is all the root of this whole thing is anti Semitism, and how do you make that go away? It solves a lot of problems in the lease, but in our lifetime I don't see it happening because anti Semitism feel like they're getting worse.
Speaker 6: Robert, Oh, there's no doubt about it, Scott whatsoever. Especially in Europe, we see people being Jewish, people are just being randomly attacked on the street. Actually we've seen that in the United States as well. In New York and Pennsylvania and Philly. They were targeting a deli that was owned by a Jewish guy just because he was Jewish, has nothing to do with the state of Israel, nothing to do with Gaza.
Speaker 3: The core of this problem, Robert is it's a radical theocracy over there. That's really the issue. They control everything, the thought, the speech.
Speaker 2: All of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, they are notoriously opposed to the freedom of speech and dialogue. And so this is something that comes out of the international left, which is intolerant of dissent, and we see it on these college campuses. There's no discussion, there's no debate. Usually the opposition, the pro Israel side, doesn't even get a chance to have a hearing. And this is something that is really contrary to the very idea of what a university is supposed to be about. But that doesn't stop them.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 3: We're talking about the history of anti Semitism. What the roots of this is? An historian? Where did it begin?
Speaker 6: It comes out of four different sources Christianity, Islam, national socialism which is Nazism, and international socialism which is communism. And communism is really what's driving it mostly today the impulse to collectivize everything, to make everybody the same, which cuts against the idea of the Jewish state. Christianity is the only one of those four where anti Semitism has been officially repudiated at the top by the leaders of the church. It still exists in Islam with no rejection from anyone. Still exists among the resurgent Nazis. We see nowadays that's alleged historian Darryl Cooper out getting widely watched platforms essentially recreate repeating talking points from the Nazis. And it's astonishing what's going on these days. But it seems as if it's always been an undercurrent under the surface and is now using the alleged sins of the state of Israel to break out again.
Speaker 2: And throughout history.
Speaker 3: I always found this interesting too, that throughout history, like a lot of oppressed groups, right Jews were often restricted to professional money lending, for example, right new stereotyp and now because of a massed wealth and success and power and financial influence, somehow that's looked at as well, this is how they get Yet, which wait a minute, if you force someone into doing this and they're really to be really good at it, I don't understand how you could be upset and angery with something you forced people to do so profession. Back then, we're limited, as I understand, and somehow money lending was frowned upon as a legitimate source of income or supporting your family, and Jews thrived at this, and now years later it's used against them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're absolutely right. As a matter of fact, this has been going on for centuries. It becomes out of Catholic Europe, where usury was considered to be a sin, and so the Christians didn't engage in money lending and the Jews did it, and then they were blamed for only wanting money and being obsessed with money and so on. And this has become one of the central claims of the anti Semis to this day, the idea that they control international banking and finance and star wars and so on as a result in order just to increase their profits from weapons and various other things. And it really all comes out of the fact that most of the other professions were forbidden to them, and so they went into banking and so on, and actually the Christian Europeans needed them because they needed the banks. Yeah, then bothered them for being involved in banking.
Speaker 2: And which they are forced to begin with.
Speaker 3: The other that element of this thing too is and you know, you look at Islam is holding onto this, but it seems like Christianity generally has gotten over. You know, Historically Jews are portrayed as what Christ killers right and and they were looked upon the same derision today. Is Islam the only major religion laft that really has this want to want to attack Jews and essentially restrict Zionism and reputed all that stuff. I think the only major religion left that's that's come out as anti semi.
Speaker 2: It's now.
Speaker 3: You may have pockets in other areas, but as a religious organized religion, I think most others don't look at it that way anywhere?
Speaker 1: Do they?
Speaker 2: Am I wrong?
Speaker 6: Well, unfortunately, you've got various aspects of the Koran, the Holy Book of Islam, that teach things like the Jews are the worst enemies of the Muslims Chapter five, verse eighty two, that the Jews will be at the end of the world. This is a prophecy from Maha that's in the traditions in the Hidiz, not in the Qoran. But it says that the last day will not come until Muslims kill Jews and the Jews will hide behind trees, and the trees will call out a Muslim, there's a Jew hiding behind me, Come and kill him now, you know. Here again it can always be said. Obviously, not every Muslim takes that for take that seriously. But those that do, they think they can bring on the end times, they can hasten the consummation of all things by killing Jews. And so this is of course a very dangerous idea to have, but it's rooted in the religious texts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think most still, I don't know if all, certainly not all Muslims do that. Is there a growing number of people who are more moderate in Islam. And I say that because I look at Iran and they look like a democracy fifty years ago.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, you've got lots of millions and millions of people who are moderate in Islam, who are not acting upon those passages and not taking them as marching orders for today. The problem is that you also have others who are.
Speaker 2: And the ones in power like Amas has Blah, those are the US they espouse. That's the problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Yeah, finally, hoist Robert Spencer. It's it's an issue of assimilation to them, they tend to look at Jews as well. They want to have their own culture and they don't want to assimilate. But historically, I mean, there's still plenty of people in Islam who don't want to do that either. So I don't understand line of thinking. It doesn't make sense. It's contradictory.
Speaker 4: Well yeah it is.
Speaker 6: But at the same time, the international left loves Islam because Islam lends itself to authoritarianism. If you look back into history, there are there are no Islamic democracies. There are no republics in the Islamic world. Turkey is a big exception, but Turkey was founded on an explicit rejection of political Islam. Ordinarily, Islam lends itself to authoritarian rule. And this is because Mohammed said, to obey your ruler, even if he's an Ethiopian with a head like a raisin. That a lot of people quote is saying, oh see, look he was a racist, and that's another.
Speaker 4: Conversation we could have.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I think what's more important right now is that that makes for authoritarian rule. You obey your ruler no matter what, even if he's what Mohammad thought of as an outlandish character. And so this is a very dangerous thing, but it lends itself. If you got other people who want to stamp out democracies, then they think, well, we will allow Islam to grow, but we will restrict Judaism because it is based on this particularity of people where we want to erase the distinctions between people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that authoritarianism ring true, because we're leading back that way here in America as we speak, too so, and we've got a long way to go before we were like them. But you know, there are areas of this that concern me, certainly from a civil liberties perspective.
Speaker 2: You're in America.
Speaker 3: Nonetheless, it's Robert Spencer, Anti Semitism, History and myth is the book and all the best. Robert, thanks for coming on the show this morning.
Speaker 4: Hey, great talking to you, Scott.
Speaker 3: Thank you you bet news weather traffic that is all the way in just minutes here on the show. With President Trump speaking here on the Nation station at nine o'clock last not laying out the plan for a.
Speaker 2: Couple of months.
Speaker 3: One is negotiation, the other one is bombing him back to the Stone age. So I don't know which wany believe the markets are reacting negative todays, he say. But he said, hey, now the two three weeks were done. Now I've heard that before from not just him, but other presidents. Are we just gonna wind this thing up? Or are we gonna wind it down? We'll find out. And I have no problem, you know, knocking them down and setting them back a little bit, because they were what sixty percent refinement, which means they're pretty close to getting nuclear weapons. Can't allow that to happen because first missiles are gonna hit Tel Aviv, They're gonna hit Israel, and you can't have that. Slowanly seven hundred w all slowly here seven hundred WWR. Guy Sanjay shaver Kamani is back. Last week was opening day, of course, and so he had the day off, not a lot of I don't know er stuff. We can talk about health fitness because we're out there drinking, eating bad food and join ourselves.
Speaker 2: That's own. We don't want you spoiling our good time.
Speaker 3: Mister doctor pants Nanje Shabakamani, your physician at Dinewell Doc. It's where a health and fitness and of course medicine. I'll collide to the question is when you get to it, maybe I'm a particular age. I shouldn't say this because we're getting it younger and younger. That is cholesterol medication. You hear about the statins and the like, and new guidelines say millions more Americans should be on this stuff should start probably at birth for a lot of us in America. Here, why why not? I believe that honestly, with things like Sir cher Leane and you know, with the level of depression and things that people have, and it's a wonderful drug. This and statins should be in the drinking way. Well, it should all be in the drinking war. Let's talk about that. So what the American College of Cardiology, the Heart Association released the guidelines.
Speaker 7: What they say, right, So really what they're focusing on is the prevent risk score. So that stands for it's not a very fancy acronym. It's predicting the risk of events. So it's kind of cheating when it comes to acronyms, but prevent is the score. You can actually google this and do your own numbers if you know some of your you know, lab tests like your LDL cholesterol, your hemoglobe in a one CEE and then find out what your risk is of having a heart attack or stroke in ten years and in thirty years, and so you know, just punching the numbers. If you got your labs from your dock and you see those, now what does that translate to? Well, if you're in a higher risk category, then they say, you know, there's a good chance that if your LDL is high, that you would meet criteria to be on a stat If you're in a very high risk category, well you want to keep your LDL below fifty five, which I'm not sure I know anyone with an LDL below fifty five, but that's what they're aiming for. Is much like harder guidelines for where you want your LDL cholesterol to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gotcha, And that's something you know. No one likes taking medicine or going to the doctor. It's just just the way it is. Especially when the ELS guy. I want to see as you. I don't mind you coming in here, but I don't want to go to your job and sit in But I think too, It's like there's also an element people understand this is like you try to take care to eat right, and most of us try to do the best we can, but we don't. But there's a hereditary element to this whole thing as well.
Speaker 7: There is there are things that we can control and can't. To your point, you know, diet exercise that will those will do stuff. And if your LDL is high, you can bring those down decently with diet, exercise, more sleep, like we've talked about before. But those those statin medications really bring it down a lot, like forty percent, whereas you know, diet exercise also be like ten to twenty percent reduction in your LDL.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the hm my levels are wacky in that it's things like listen, it's you're doing what you're speed to be doing. We just can't.
Speaker 3: You can't control genetics. So take a little stat and it balances things out.
Speaker 2: You're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh.
Speaker 7: And And what we're finding is is that to your point of a lot more people could be on statins that would be in that moderate to high risk category per the Prevent Score. And so you're going to see a change and more statins probably being prescribed in the next couple of years because of this new calculator, new guidelines. Additionally, they've started saying really start screening the stuff in the twenties and thirties, so everyone should, you know, have at.
Speaker 2: Least get it checked.
Speaker 7: You know, you don't necessarily have to start a statin if you don't want to, but at least know where your levels are. Especially if you have one of those, you might find out you have a genetic predisposition to having high cholesterol. And one more thing would be the lipoprotein A, which is starting to become more and more significant as we learn more about it, which is another type of one of those cholesterol things, but seems to be you know, it's very genetically and very genetically based and very hereditary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people don't want to hear that in their thirties, like wait, I got to be on a statin. I mean I've seen some toddlers that probably should be on a stat And at the same time, you see older people like, oh man, it looks fit and thin. It's like, I'm not all these medications. So you know, to your point, you know what you see is not what you get.
Speaker 7: Exactly, and you know your whole cholesterol profile might not tell you the whole story. Breaking it down individually and then talking with your physician about it is an important thing, and so you know, the question is, well, why does cholesterol matter? And really what it is about is building up plaque on the inside of your arteries that feed your heart and your or your brain, and so minimizing that risk of forming plaques on the inside of those arteries are basically you can imagine it, crud on the inside of your plumbing will decrease the risk of heart attack and stroke. And that's been shown with the statin medications especially.
Speaker 3: Does that just happen with age or some people immune to the plaque build up just naturally? Is that again the genetic thing or I mean diet exercise have a long way to go for that too. Can you reverse that?
Speaker 7: So there are thoughts that you can reverse it. You can definitely slow it down, and some people say you can reverse the plaque as well as far as you know being born with that stuff. Yes, and people will have a bigger predisposition to developing that stuff and other people will be quote immune, I mean not no one's completely immune. But what we see is it's not just the cholesterol and the presence of the cholesterol, it's also inflammation. Inflammation will lead to more plaque build up and plaque rupture, which is what precedes heart attacks and strokes.
Speaker 3: Inflammation whole another topic, right, sign Jay, the statins they have a reputation for muscle soreness and side effects. So you're trying to sell us to a thirty year old. Now what's the reality of that of.
Speaker 2: The side effects.
Speaker 7: So the truth is there are a couple side effects and it is muscle soreness. When people talk about it, they're like, oh, muscle breakdown and true muscle breakdown or what we know is rabdom analysis, which is you know, can threaten your kidneys and stuff. That happens extremely rarely, but many people will get muscle soreness. As the dose goes higher, you get more muscle soreness more often than not. So just cutting down the dose if you feel that can help. But it doesn't seem to be anything dangerous most of the time, except when you develop that you know, rubbed them AlSi.
Speaker 2: I'm sure all the time. Just pile it on.
Speaker 4: What the hell?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just existing makes me feel everything hurts. I can't talk to statin or just I'm an old af Sanjay Shavkramani are eer doctor, a health and fitness guy at Dinewell. Doc joins to show every Thursday morning, talk about the latest and in we're talking about cholesterol medication right now, and people often hear this and go, I don't want to take that stuff, and you know it's actually it's it's a pretty simple. It's a pretty simple thing to do in order to correct something could be fatal to you. Because man, you've seen people of strokes before, and it's if you survive it, not quoid. You survive it, but your life's gonna be a lot different if it winds up being the catastrophic kind because there are different levels of strokes as well.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And you know the thing is, there's there's evidence for taking these statins before you have an event, and there's evidence for after you have an event, what we call secondary prevention to stop it from having another one. And where we really see a ton of difference is after strokes and heart attacks patients there on statins. There their risk of dying goes down significantly, Their risk of having another event goes down a lot. But even before you have an event, it can help, just not as much, but it's helpful, and either before you or after you've had an event.
Speaker 3: I know someone who spent their life studying medicine is shocked to know this. Most people will listen and go, yeah, I don't care, or you know, I'm fine, I'll I'll be good. But if people abided by this, what what would happen to your PCP? I mean, primary care providers probably would be swamped with people hearing this and going, well, I probably should get checked and see if I need a STAT.
Speaker 2: I don't think they'd mind.
Speaker 7: I mean, at the end of the day, like bring, bring all the stuff early, so again, you don't have to see me in the er after you've had a catastrophic event. I don't want to see you in the er. As much as I like seeing people, I don't want to meet you that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, so you go in, you get your STAT and in the costason they're pretty cheap, I mean, because they've.
Speaker 7: All come off patent now, so they're they're all generic. So you know, there's there's a lot of talk about big pharma and the stuff in there, and there are you know, some arguments for that, but at the end of the day, this is now cheap and and very effective.
Speaker 3: So what you're saying is if you treat it now, it won't be as intensive later on. Basically we're not even having an event, like we're talking about an m I or a stroke.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so over time, you know, your plaques will build up, So you're thinking about the long game here as opposed to all right, I'll just take it when I'm sixty or seventy, and I'll prevent something from happening. Your cholesterol actually starts building up when you're in your twenties and thirties. Sadly enough, you know, being in my late forties, that is a difficult thing to think about. But I'll tell you that. Just three weeks ago, I had my panel drawn. Although it will look a lot different today than it did two weeks ago because I went to see Project hil Mary last night and the fiance and I shared a bucket of popcorn the large verse you did, and by share I mean I ate three quarters.
Speaker 2: Okay, of course you did with extra button n'st question.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so we won't better not even a real butter, fake butter, don't tell me that's fake. That was as real as it can take real.
Speaker 3: Well, you just spent time in Wisconsin, so you know the differenenting fake and real butter. Yes, because there's no margarine. There's none of that stuff in Wisconsin. It's butter. It's a real cow.
Speaker 2: It's the real stuff, full cow, cheese, kurds, beer, full cow.
Speaker 7: Which I immersed myself. Yeah, so maybe it's gonna be a few weeks. But before I check my class, somebody I know did this. I forget who it was, but it's funny because their wife was out of town. And this was back in the day Tony Terry's Turf Club in Cincinnati, right the Burger place. I think he ate there three nights in a row, and then had I was thinking about.
Speaker 3: He says, like his twenties or thirties, goes to the doctor, gets a panel drawn, and they called him back in emergency. Yeah, he goes do you each time He's like, well, with Terry's Turf guy at a Burger life last second, that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to show you. I mean, you can have one, but three nights in a row.
Speaker 3: You're gonna be regretting. It's a problem. Yeah, it's a problem. So but anything in moderation you can do. The bucket of popcorn and all of the things. Is like I in speaking of a movie, I'll get off on a tangent here speaking of movie theaters. I I you know, you go to take out your care to restaurants, the whole thing. I don't know where they get the paperwhere from? Like a small there. It's like a bucket of KFC chicken, a small pop Yeah, wait, where are you getting these cups?
Speaker 2: I've seen anywhere else in.
Speaker 3: The wild except to go to a movie theater. All I'm a small and it literally looks like there was chicken in it before.
Speaker 7: I had my bucket of popcorn and my bucket of coke zero yeah, right next to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're just bucketing.
Speaker 3: Why And the thing is you're sitting for ninety minutes to three hours? Are you that dehydrated watching a movie?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 7: I mean I did get hungry after the first like after the previews, you know, the previously like forty five minutes long, and the popcorn was all gone, and I was like, I have none for the movie.
Speaker 2: The popcorn is fine, though, it's like it's it's it's it's floss for your coldon right, I mean it's five talking about fiber. Yeah, it's good. It's good for you.
Speaker 7: That's some health benefit. That's pretty much like eating the salad. I mean coke zero is hydrating, right. We learned that it doesn't overly dehydrate you when you have calfeeden, So yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: Healthy, less hydrating, Like like, I have to get thee because when I go to a bar, they don't have those size containers.
Speaker 2: And that's where you really want it, that's where you want it. I want a bigger I want the big drums. I bet there's something in Germany. You know, they have the boots and stuff something I don't. I don't know, but it's just con turning to me as I go to movie theaters, like the smallest, like the biggest cup I've ever seen. If you get I mean honestly, if you get the large, the extra large, they willing it it in. I'm like one of those. It's like a fifty five gallon drum with a straw. You need a palette too, you really roll it in. It's disturbing.
Speaker 3: I don't know why that is with movie theaters, but we've uncovered that this morning with us An Jay, we're talking about statins this morning, which now you're saying everyone listening should be on the status.
Speaker 7: Well, everyone should talk to their doctor about their cholesterol. We'll leave it there, but yeah, I mean, do you talk about risks and and really it's the muscle thing, and then there's a very small chance for if you don't have diabetes, of developing new diabetes, but still the benefits of it outweigh the risks and that is a very very small chance. But when we're talking about side effect profiles, those are the main two. That's it is the muscle soreness and chance of developing diabetes. Everything else, And there's been a lot of noise out there. I mean, I listened to the Hubreman podcast about this, and I listened to a couple others just to get the other takes on on statins, and it's there's a lot of overblown stuff cognition and stuff, memory, dementia, those don't seem to play out the same amount of risk with statins or with placebo. That's for that, that's for wake gain. There's a bunch of other stuff, But really what we're dealing with here is maybe diabetes and that's a small risk, and then the muscle soreness without any severe or severe risk.
Speaker 3: There's side effects with anything that you take, and that includes a baby as when there may be a side effect to that thing. And it seems to me if my cholesterol is high and really elevated or borderline, that I want to control that. And you got to weigh that yourself is to wear. And I think a lot of the stuff you're talking about are from folks that not maybe not all of them, but many of them are going, I'm just looking for reasons not to go to the doctor and get prescribe this right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you know you might find a reason. I'll tell you I got. I was scared going into my lipid profile check of where I was going to be, and I was very happy to see it. That being said, I've been on this health journey for the last nine years. I'd be scared to look at my lipid profile from ten years ago. So sure, I know that diet and exercise will do a lot, and taking care of yourself and sleep, but there will be parts of the population that you know you you need these medicines to really help and decrease that risk. And again it's a conversation to have with your doctor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: I think out of the part of the problem is because I know people otherwise really smart people that are adamant that even though it's like, hey, I've had a heart attack or I've done they're going to live their life the way they want to live their life. That is that hard for you as a physician to consult someone and say here's what you need to do, and maybe not as much an ed but that you here's what's going to If you don't do this, You're gonna something bad is going to happen. People just don't want to hear that. I don't know why that is.
Speaker 7: Here's the thing. I know that if I tell someone that there's a greater chance that they're not going to do what I say.
Speaker 4: Why.
Speaker 7: It's a human brain.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I love psychology too. I just love it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's I think it comes from when our parents used to tell us to do stuff and we went against that authority figures telling you what to do. A lot of the times you want to do the opposite. And so you know, at the end of the day, I like going out and eating bad food sometimes because I want to be human and I see the human part and everyone else. So like if someone's like, yeah, I don't want to start a stat and it's it's less of a man, you know what you're doing to yourself. It's more like, tell me about that, like why? And I think that curiosity angle is a lot better and more effective approach than telling someone what to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think too.
Speaker 3: No one wants to be in more meds and the older way get it seems like we're on more meds. It's just the nature of the beast. But I waited and went, Okay, Well, if my genetic disposition predisposition says my cholesterolves are a whack and there's nothing I can do to change it despite diet exercise. If I take this, I'm not going to wind up, you know, in a wheelchair or hopefully. I mean, I still may have a heart attack because I'm Type A and that's on me. I can't change that. Well, but this gives me a fighting chance exactly. And you know, look for yourself.
Speaker 7: If you're worried about it or thinking about it, do the prevent calculator yourself again. You can look for it if you just look up Prevent Risk Calculator online. You'll find it and then you just go through the steps and we'll tell you what your risk of having an event is. In the next ten years or thirty years, and if that's thirty percent, well maybe it's time to think about changing something. You know, you don't have to do a complete overall, although that might be effective, but at least nowhere your risk is so you know, I mean, my my tenure fortunately is one percent, but in thirty years it's going to be about ten percent risk of having a heart attack or stroke. Okay, so I'll be seventy seven by the time I have a one third chance of having something. Well, it's not nothing, and maybe in several years I'll think about us Dad.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this is right, because I just ran through the prevent calculator myself while you're rambling there and on my phone, and it says I die I would have died nineteen thirty seven. That well, I mean, I don't know if that. You're on borrow time now again like a high score. Live it up, man, I guess maybe I'll take the whole bottle.
Speaker 2: I I have no idea. He's SANJ.
Speaker 3: Shaver carmani ere doc also our fitness and health guy, and you can find him at Dinewell Doc at dine Wald doc Sonjay always comes on the show on Thursday mornings.
Speaker 2: To chop up health related stuff. Who knows what we're going to cook up next week.
Speaker 3: And I also like the I like the ones grab from today's headlines in that too, So there's always some news elements we try to work on the show as well. But there you got everything you need about your statins. So if you're thirty, forty and fifty or maybe sixty or older and you haven't been checked, and it's a good question, good conversation to have with your physician, which HU should at least go once a year. Yeah, the very least exactly right. All the best, Thanks Agay Budd, appreciate you. We'll do a news update coming up in minutes on seven hundred Wow. He's Kevin Werner executive director, Will hires and stop executions. Dave yost ag Dave yos just issue with his final twenty This will be for twenty twenty five report on the death penalty and it's jacked up the evidence coming out About maybe twenty percent of our cases go to for capital punishment and execution wind up being overturned. We haven't had an execution in Ohio for seven eight years. None under Mike DeWine, two term governor. So if it costs us two to three times more per inmates, why are we doing this? Well, there's now legislation working its way through Columbus, bipartisan legislation that would eliminate capital punishment in Ohio. He makes the case next on the Home of the Red seven hundred WWT since.
Speaker 4: Nonican, It's Scott clumb Show on seven hundred wow.
Speaker 3: Lot's going on today, including here in the Buckey state, where Ohio has executed fifty six people since nineteen eighty one, they've exonerated twelve and one group says that so well, mass shows you about a twenty percent air rate and they're pushing that in the death penalty for good. And why this is timely right now is because Attorney General Dave Yost issued his final Capital Crimes Annual Report that's for twenty twenty five and says Ohio hasn't had an execution in seven years. And now there's a bipartisan effort in Columbus to end the death penalty in Ohio. On that as Kevin and Werner, he's the executive director of OTSE. That's ohioans to stop executions. Kevin, welcome back.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 4: Thanks God him well with you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, first, plush, this is probably you get this question.
Speaker 3: A lot of people think that being against capital punishment means you're soft on crime.
Speaker 2: Can both of those things be true?
Speaker 4: Well, it's certainly not true with folks who are serious about the concerns around the death penalty. I mean, what this really is about is about being smarter on crime and understanding that we can have a more efficient system, and we can spend a whole lot less money, and we can hold dangerous people accountable by not having to resort to something that doesn't work, never really has, and just just cost taxpayers and arm and a leg. So it's about being more intelligent with the resources that we have at our disposal.
Speaker 3: I think that's important too, because if you look at the cost of this whole thing, it's not even I mean, it's laughable how much money we spend on each and every one of these cases. The numbers off the top of my head escape me, but they're pretty sizable. It's like, I want to say, the average capital case is over a million dollars. The average life without parroll is about half that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, about three million per case is really what is really what it is, and then just under a million we could probably be the last cost rising the last couple of years, you could probably say a million dollars for a non capital case. I mean it's Ohio has spent billions of dollars on a system that is coming frighteningly close to crossing that line where we say past as we have executed it is the people. That's kind of one of the things that our report showed was just how bad the system has gotten. And really, in some ways it's far worse than I think anybody realized when we look at all of the types of cases that touch the death penalty, where it turns out this person didn't commit the underlying defense.
Speaker 3: We know about the Road of Nathan case here in Blue ash in nineteen ninety four, and this was the Elwood Jones exoneration. But you know that that one got a lot of publicy. But for someone who is pro death penalty, how do you argue against this? So this is in Hamilton, Ohio. Right here in Cincinnati. In February of two thousand and three, a guy named Ketder murdered his former employer an eighty five year old man Laurence Sanders at his home in Hamilton, and Ketterer went to Sanders home to get some money because he had a fine for court costs something in Sanders. He got there and Sanders said, look, I don't have the cash. Kedder got angry, struck him the head three times with iron skillet and then stabbed him, then robbed him and stole his car. So Ketdller confessed the police. He pled guilty of trial. The DNA testing established a blood on the gloves he was wearing on the day of the murder match that of mister Sanders. They got him, he admitted to it. Why not put him to death?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean I think that even when you have those examples of really, I mean, nobody's gonna think that those facts are not that bad. I mean, that's an egregious that's a terrible case, right, But I think that understanding a couple of things in determined how we want to go forward. State of Ohio could spend you know, millions and millions of dollars trying to chase an execution for for mister Ketterer, or it could also make sure that law enforcement agencies are fully funded. It could also make sure that we have things like conviction integrity units. It could also make sure we have things like adequate resources for you know, the men and women who were the wear the uniform. One thing I do recall about that categor case, I am pretty sure I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was removed from death row because of severe mental illness. That's a whole another ball of whack that we are starting to come to grips with, and that doesn't excuse what he did. But what it does, I think is recognized that we can hold that person accountable. We can keep the community safer with a lot fewer resources needed on the front end on the trial and the incarceration and on the like I said, like chasing the actual execution that, by the way, will likely never happen, and so we can be a little bit more intelligent about how we respond to those kinds of real horrific offenses. Nobody thinks that that was, you know, something that should be excused or that shouldn't have that person be held accountable. The question is how do we do it in the way that's going to help the most people. It's going to keep the most people safe. And it's going to require the least amount of tax dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the problem with that, of course, is you will have no shortage of attorneys trying to defend him, which prolongs the case, which adds to the extreme cost. And this is why someone who admits to a murder, and let's say, let's take the mental component out of it for a second, because there's plenty of examples you could say where yeah, they caught them red handed, they've confessed to it, okay, and who want to be executed and they still you know, takes twenty years. That's the problem. Takes twenty years. And I think that's the frustration for folks who are pro death penalty, is that, well, if you have someone who confesses to it, they caught him red handed, they got the guy. It seems like it should be a pretty quick process, because it used to be you'd do this and within a couple of months, you know, you'd face the hangman's news, so to speak.
Speaker 2: Or and now it's twenty thirty years or more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's something is interesting that I that we came across as we kind of delved into so many of these of these cases they're documented cases. Now we wrote about them in our report. Where there's a confession, there's a confession, and part of part of what led that person to death row was you know, this confession. And then we learned a little bit more about, well how was that confession obtained? And it turns out in a couple of cases where there is this you know, confession, that it was coerced or it was a situation where two guys were involved and the you know, the prosecutor says, hey, you know, we'll give you lesser charge if you cooperate with us and tell us what this other person did over here. And those are often the cases where the person who's who's getting the plea deal, who's getting the you know uh in exchange for testimony, really is more culpable. And so just because we could say, ah, you know, we've got a confession over here, you know, the rock solid case, well, Scott, they're all supposedly rock solid cases, and yet here we are twelve death rogues and houneries. We found twelve other cases where the state tried to get to death penalty. There was a life sentence of some time, but it was a death penalty trial and those other twelve cases led to a conviction and then decades later those people being exonerated. So the wrongful conviction problem in Ohio is actually be far worse than what anybody realizes. But just because the prosecutor may say, ah, this is a really strong case, will they say that about every deathenalty? Right? And so again, like the system is making mistakes at an alarming rate, and so you know the better policy is just to walk away from it and spend ohigh taxpayer dollars in a more efficient and a smarter way.
Speaker 3: Well, is the inverse true, then, Kevin Werner, Executive Director of Ohio and stop executions in that there are people who are murders and they wound up being freed. And because people really believe that, And it wasn't about the the case necessario, it was about the fight over the death penalty. That I'm not saying you are. But the people think everyone who is a criminal is innocent. I think we have elected officials in Cincinnati to believe that somehow, the and judges that think criminals are victims somehow. I suppose everyone is messed up. That is the nature of society. But when it rises to the level of a felony or a serious crime. It's a different story in my book. But is a case where maybe that you know, the Innocence Project, God Bless them, or another group like that, we're able to free someone who actually did it. I think that's possible too, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Well. I think that that would be a really outside of the mainstream of vul conviction.
Speaker 3: A lot of people think Elwood Jones, Elwood Jones. A lot of people think Elwood Jones did it and he got off.
Speaker 4: Well. I mean, we could talk about Elwood Jones. But you know, here's what we find when we see people who are wrongfully convicted and freed. The reasons that it happens is number one, first and foremost, it's misconduct on the part of investigators or prosecutors. That is the driver. We see perjury or false accusation. We see false or misleading forensic evidence, we see mistaken eyewitness identification, we see false confessions, as I said, and we see inadequate legal counsel. Those are the reasons that lead people to be exonerated. I really don't think. I think with all of the failed states, if you will, in the system, I think it's much harder for someone who you know, quote unquote, you know really may have, really may be culpable to kind of get you know, some technicality. Ellwood Jones, you know, I was talking to him on the phone the other day and he said something remarkable to me. We were talking about how I guess it was yesterday with the Attorney General sort of saying, uh, you know, oh, we haven't had the executions. My entire time at DAG is almost like a regret. When should I? He said, he said, when should I have been executed? When would have been convenient for the Attorney General for me to be executed for something that I didn't do? And it's it's astonishing that our system right now, and people like Dave Yos and people like the legislators who are pushing for execution seem to care more about revving up this machine than they do about making sure that we have the right person. When you Scott, when you withhold four thousand pages of documents, some of which show UH are exculpatory for Elwood Jones, some show alternative suspects, that's not a technicality, that is prosecutoral misconduct. And you know, people can think what they want, but as a pretty alarming case when it comes to you know, right there in Cincinnati, in the backyard Hamilton County, I mean, that is egregious, and you know, with shocking we came across other cases where Hamilton County cases. There's a Jeffrey Wogan Stall case that after discovery happened in a federal court like twenty years later, a shocking amount of evidence was withheld that tends to point to other people. You know, we styled this report that we just released into basically five different categories, and Hamilton County has cases in every four of those five categories. So again, like I understand, people may have concervatives they I don't know about this shiit of that case, but the systemic, widespread problem shows that there is a huge problem with wrongful conviction. I don't believe that every single one of these has like you know, prosecutor has this like bad intent. I think they get tunnel vision. I think they form a theory. I think they tend to follow evans that kind of supports their theory. But in the wake of that, we've got a huge mess with lots of people incarcerated for things they didn't do.
Speaker 3: Kevin Werner's here executive director him to stop executions. Dave Yost with his final because he's going to turn out as ag Capital Crimes Report and says, we have an execution at seven years almost eight. And now there's there's actually a bipartisan effort Columbus to end this thing, the death penalty. And I'm for ending it simply because it's a tremendous waste of resources and money, and there's SERTs, an equity issue and an issue of fairness, but primarily it's like, we're not executing anyone, so why have it on the books? Also, you kind of talked about prosecutorial misconduct there. Brady violations were present in eleven or twelve exoneration case eleven of the twelve cases, have any of those prosecutors faced dispirement or criminal charges or any consequences for that? And if the answer is no, does how does the system correct itself?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The short answer is no.
Speaker 4: The longer answer I think is, you know, there may be some internal sanctions that Hamilton County prosecutor may hold, uh some kind of like you know, probation for some period of time, but there's no real tee uh, to to accountability for prosecutors that that you know, engage in these kind of Brady violations. And you know, when you look across the state and you see, you know, a case in Cuyahoga County and then another one in Kyaho County and another one in Cyahoga County, the same people, it's the same assistant prosecutors. It's the same individuals who are not held accountable, who continue to sort of repeat these you know errors, and you know, in a very shocking way. I was rereading some stuff from some trial trial that Mark Pete Meyer, who's an assistant county prosecutor, was an assist county prosecutor home the county said during I think it was a deposition that you know, they didn't really get any training on on Brady material. Didn't really they weren't really told how to uh, you know, hand over exculpatory evidence, right, And that is just mind blowing. And then in another part another case on a trial, you know, he had said something like, well they had a very narrow interpretation of Brady got there's no narrow interpretation of I mean it is you turnover exculpatory and you turn over and teaching evidence period. It's not like, well, we're going to do it in these circumstances, but not those over here, and well when we have certain factors. I mean, this is why these things continue to occur is because the folks who who make the mistakes are not how the count.
Speaker 2: And people hear this the Brady rules.
Speaker 3: Basically, it means the prosecutors failed to disclose material or evidence exculpatory evidence meaning innocence proving or impeachment, which is a credibility issue when they don't have that over to the defense. Your report calls Ohio's air rate about twenty percent, that's one for every five executions. But the Attorney General's Final Crime Report says that Ohio has no known instance of executing an instant persons.
Speaker 2: Who's right and how do you respond to that claim?
Speaker 4: Well, I think, first of all, Dave and the attorney that has to have that line, he has to say, we've never executed an innocent person. I think Lou Tobin, the Prosecuting Attorney Association ed yesterday said that our report didn't even look at the current cases. But there are nine of them, right, So I think these guys are towing the company mine. I think they're saying the things that they have to say, because guess what, when you start uncovering and start acknowledging the wrongful conviction problem that you have and you're, you know, sort of a state actor, you have to take corrective measures.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: You're going to face lawsuits, You're going to face all kinds of compensation award claims, and so they have to say what they're saying. You know, you can't see a serious person who really wants to get this system right, who really wants to make sure it's working, and say some of those things. Ten more than ten years ago, recommendations were made to clean up Ohio's death pony system, and guess what, none of them were put in place.
Speaker 2: Do you think this time this time?
Speaker 3: Do you think that this time final question for you, Kevin, that there's a bill right now, it's bipartisan of all things in Columbus to question the issue whether or not we should end the death pound. I mean, we haven't had it in years here, it's going to be seven eight years at this point too. Dowine hasn't had one in his term. It feels like it's kind of useless, it's stupid. Because we're not doing it. It's hard to get the cocktails in order to do it. It seems like the easiest path here is just that is given up and going listen to the advocates against this stuff win because it's costing us way more money than it should. And I think ultimately the people who pay the biggest price are the victims family is that there's no justice for them. You know, when you're sitting around and Okay, you've been sentenced to death, great, well it's going to take You're going to die of natural causes on death row, which is much better than being in general population. You treated much better than you are in general population. And so it feels like they're getting almost a prison reward, if you know. Yeah, they're locked up, but it's a better quality of life because you want some element of suffering there. If you're a victim of a family member, the victim, the person who's murdered, they're not getting their justice either. To me, it seems like that this thing should go through and be passed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, really, what we have is we have a system that doesn't work. We've had this for forty five years, and you know, the data points are in. It's most harmful to victim family members who were told again and again and again, we're going to get justice, we're going to get justice, and then of course that fact never occurs. Costs so much money. Yeah, I mean, the right thing to do is to recognize that it doesn't work. To end the death penalty system once and for all, like that is the smart thing to do. There's most I think legislators that you talk to today understand that, and most people are there. The public is certainly already there. We have polling going back, you know, six seven years that shows the public is more than fifty percent ready to walk away from the death penal system. But there's a couple of holdouts who just who just can't wrap their minds around.
Speaker 3: I think, and I think it's going to change. You know, you get younger people, and I think that's going to be it anyway. Kevin Warner's the executive director of High wants to stop executions. The news of Devio's final capital Crimes report. Thanks again for the time, all the best, Thank you, Scott, appreciate it. We got to get news in and then we get to fight. I get to fight with my wife as It's cheaper than therapy, is what it is. There are dirty launder you enjoy that, you feel better about your relationship. I will also talk about real estate. We love each other. She's next show seven hundred w Alba. Take a look at your watch. It's real Estate Time with Michelle Sloan rematch time Agent extraordinaire from Sloan saleshomes dot Com. Now pay attention, then take notes. There might be a pop quiz at the end on seven hundred. Jobad, Good morning, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Dear?
Speaker 8: Hello?
Speaker 5: Happy Thursday, Happy Thursday. Going into Easter weekend? Now?
Speaker 3: No, yeah, well you got your Easter hat, your new Easter outfit. I hid the eggs in the yard before you. I should be pretty happy.
Speaker 4: Is yeah.
Speaker 8: I don't think I have enough chocolate in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, she wants she wants eggs full of hundreds and diamonds? Is what you want? Anyway?
Speaker 3: The Easter Bunny says, you know you We've been together for four hundred years and the thing one thing I love about my job is that every day I learned something new. And that's true with anything that there's something about I don't know learning something. My goal wants is to learn something I didn't know before. I enjoyed doing that, and yesterday I learned something about my wife in the three hundre year four in new years of marriage with it is that so she's she's got this thing on her wrist and she wants to.
Speaker 2: Cut it off. Not not a skin tag or anything like that.
Speaker 3: It was a bracelet and she's trying to cut it in the kitchen and she's got the kitchen cheers out and she's gnawing at the single Why aren't these scissors cut? And it's the bracelets on her right hand and she's using her left hand. I said, well, Michelle, those are left they're not left handed scissors or right handed scissors.
Speaker 2: And you looked at me and said, you know what, you are so full of crap.
Speaker 3: I'm so I'm so used to you lying to me and all the time about stuff that I don't believe there's sight. How have you lived this long and not known there's left handed and right handed scissors?
Speaker 5: Actually, I still don't believe you. I didn't look it up, but you swear it's real.
Speaker 2: It's real.
Speaker 5: It was a April Fool's joke or something, because you know, it's it's was one of those wristbands that you get when you go to a club.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're at the club, that is what we were. And then shots were fired so we left.
Speaker 5: But but I was trying to get this dumb thing off and you usually just like yank it off, and I'm like, I don't want to do that. So I got the scissors out and I'm trying to cut it with the scissors and it wasn't cutting. Yeah, And then you told me there's such thing as a left and a right hand, because they're using your left hand to use the scissors and it's not working. I said, well, that's because they're bright handed scissors, and you said that you're so full of crap.
Speaker 8: I don't think that's real.
Speaker 2: Well, no, because the blade.
Speaker 3: I don't know the intercase of it, but because the blade, and you know, there's the sharp part and the not sharp part. And the problem is that for left handed scissors it's the opposite that the blade's not on top, so you can't do it.
Speaker 8: Here's the thing.
Speaker 5: I really didn't care about it enough. I think you're full of it to actually look it up at the time. And there are people probably that are looking it up right now, or maybe they know this as a thing.
Speaker 3: You don't remember that from like I remember that, Like I haven't used a long time, but I remember that in grade school that there would be for the left handed kids. There would be left handed scissors, and then they'd have a different Yeah, they'd have a different colored handle and art class or I guess what's at the handle. I get the grit where the grips are, and like the green ones I don't know would be left and then the red ones would be right. And then we'd make fun of the kids who with the left hand like that some sort of disability or like like they're different, they're mutants or something like that.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, back in the day, you do that stuff.
Speaker 3: And now I'm sure there's groups for your left handed people and left handed equity and diversity and inclusion for lefties, and like, I don't know, you people are freaks. You know, when you're a kid, you're you're looking at you're looking to ostracize people. At that age, your whole your whole job as a kid is to try to single out eat individual and just just beat the living snout of their self esteem. That's childhood childhood's about and so I still remember that from grade school, and I got a lot of problems being the fat, curly haired kid.
Speaker 2: Is like, at least I'm not left handed, you did have troubles.
Speaker 3: I don't have glasses and I'm not left handed, so I'm not a four eyes and I'm not a lefty.
Speaker 2: So there you go. Anyway, my wife had said.
Speaker 3: You're you, and you know, here's the thing about you is you'll go to your grave disbelieving left and right handed scissors, and you'll you'll die in that hill speak instead of just going to your phone and looking it up to see if it's true.
Speaker 8: I didn't care that much and I still don't because.
Speaker 3: I'll bring it up in the future and you'll go, no, there's no such thing, and you would rather sound ignorant than find.
Speaker 2: Out the facts.
Speaker 8: Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: Okay, well right, that's where our relationship.
Speaker 5: Works before I get home today. But right now, I'm I'm not concentrating on the left and the right handed.
Speaker 2: I never Well, that's you know what I asked for you when I ask.
Speaker 8: If I'm trying to use my left handed Okay.
Speaker 3: I said, because that's why, Well, why do you think it didn't work, did you suddenly, after all these years, forget how to use scissors.
Speaker 8: The scissors are sharp, you think that they're sharp both ways.
Speaker 3: That makes that means their left handed scissors. If you usual, you're right, it would have worked. The other thing is I've cut wrist prices like you before it, and I come at you. I get the big butcher's knife out, and then you look at the chef's tenant chef's knife, and you go, you're gonna cut my wrist off. I've never cut your wrist off, but it's just slicing. Let's go now, I'm might. And there she is with the scissors, trying to left handed Candy dufrayin trying to tunnels.
Speaker 5: Sot reverse blades with the top blade on the left, allowing lefties to see their cutting line, enabling natural, comfortable motion without fighting the tool. These scissors prevent hand fatigue blah blah blah to sign and benefit key aspects to left handed scissors, unlike oh my gosh, unlike.
Speaker 8: Right handed scissors where the left blade is on two. All right, you were right, What did you say?
Speaker 2: Let me hold on? So let me turn your mic couple of more, go ahead, three two one go.
Speaker 1: You were right.
Speaker 8: You were right, Scott Sloan, you were right.
Speaker 2: A man needs to hear.
Speaker 8: Oh my gosh, it took us five minutes for us to be arguing.
Speaker 3: The only reason people listen to the segment, the only reason. I don't know why the ratings are so good for it either.
Speaker 4: Who is wrong?
Speaker 2: I don't know. People love this when we fight like this and go my husband, I do that too, We just don't talk about it on a radio station.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 8: So there's a such thing as a left handed scissors son.
Speaker 2: Well, i'll love a go.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like your dad said when I asked your dad for your hand in marriage before I did the right thing, asked your dad and he said, well, I think that's a good idea. He said, why, he goes, We'll never marry anyone smarter than you anyway.
Speaker 8: Okay he never said that, what your dad.
Speaker 2: That's what your dad told me.
Speaker 8: Okay, well, you're gonna OutKick your coverage. Son, You'll never make it. I think they he'd say that, you guys.
Speaker 2: Will never make it. Never.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Here we are why because we're both stubborn. That's why we're not gonna let it go. We're just not gonna let it go. Oh no, we love each other tremendously and you can because you know, we can joke about stuff like that.
Speaker 2: All right, let's what's the topic today here?
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 5: Second number one question people ask me about real estate is how's the market. Well I'll answer that really quickly right now, is how's the market? The mortgage rates are up to six and a half percent. We were at six percent. Now we've had all this turmoil in the country and in the world, so rates are bumping up a little bit.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 5: So that's the most common question. But the question that most people don't ask is can I stay in my home too long? What is the cost of doing nothing and just living in my home? And there are I love this twist on in my world, the age old question how's the market? Or is this a good time to buy or sell? And if you're not asking that question, maybe you're just saying I'm just going to say where I am because it's fine, it's just fine. But that's costing you money. And so that's what we're going to talk about today. I've got like five points to make if we have time. After our right and left handed discussion. A Number one the equity in your home. Staying put might be actually tying up a lot of wealth that you could be using. So so many people right now are sitting on thousands and thousands of dollars worth of equity, and you could be using that money to eliminate debt, upgrading your home, doing taking vacations, reinvesting in other things, or reinvesting in a home that actually fits your needs better than your current home. So living in your home for a long time, and even if you have it paid off, you're sitting on amount of money. And if that's fine and you like and that gives you peace of mind, great, but it is it's you're not utilizing that resource like you could.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like you're your own bank. That's the way to look at.
Speaker 8: It, exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: The number two item on the list today of the hidden cost of staying in your home too long is maintenance creep, because older houses will cost you more money in repairs. The roof, the HVAC, of the appliance is all stack up. Usually when one thing goes, they all go. If you have a home that's let's say twenty years old, twenty years is that time frame where things.
Speaker 8: Start to go like boom boom boom boom boom.
Speaker 5: So the longer you wait, the more your house starts to make financial decisions for you, because you're if you don't upgrade those items that are starting to fail, if you're not upgrading your windows, if you're not upgrading your HVAC. The longer you wait, the more it's going to cost. So you know, maintenance creep is a big deal.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know if you're handy, yeah, why you know, it's you know, you can buy a house a little cheaper and do the repairs yourself, which we do.
Speaker 2: So that's a different thing. What's number three?
Speaker 5: Number three is a lifestylee mismatch, meaning you know, this past summer we moved out of our house that we lived in for twenty years.
Speaker 2: Yes, well evicted, not moved, but yeah, we did not get evicted. Oh my sheriff came. It was a whole thing.
Speaker 5: Now. We we moved out and we actually did the right sizing for our lifestyle.
Speaker 8: We moved into a ranch for old people, so that my knees done.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 8: But the kids moved out and we had too much space.
Speaker 5: We didn't need the traditional two story for bedroom, two and a half bath home.
Speaker 8: You know, we just didn't need it for our family.
Speaker 5: And now there's a nice family living in that home with their two kids, grandma and everybody else.
Speaker 3: The whole thing, the whole well too is you watch you know, your you raise your kids in their house, and it's that's the hard part, is this kid, because there's so many memories there. But you realize, like, hey, you know what when we moved in, there was a couple older couples, Oh, the nice older couple down the Streeter store, you know, a couple of elderly folks there too. And then you know, after so many years, you're like, holy crap, I became that guy. And you look at it going your young family's around and it's you know, time to time to turn it over.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So that's that's just it's the cycle of life, correct, the cycle of life.
Speaker 2: Very good.
Speaker 5: Hidden cost of staying in your home too long. Number four rising property taxes and insurance. You know, even if your mortgage is lower, it's paid off, these costs will obviously continue to climb. You're not going to be able to get rid of those costs. But maybe you can find a new place to live that maybe they're a little bit lower. It's interesting how much you know a cost of the home when you build in insurance and taxes. It's like it's like a mortgage payment in and of itself. So you want to look at those factors, and if you're in your home for a long time, you don't look at them because the incremental creep. I'm talking about lots of creeps today, Scott.
Speaker 3: What you're talking about me, Yeah, the incremental creep as I've known it around the household.
Speaker 8: That's right, incremental creep.
Speaker 5: And then you are other if also, if you're looking at opportunities and you've been living in your home and you're thinking, eh, it's fine, I'll just stay here because it's cheaper to stay where I'm at, But you are missing some marketing windows, meaning some perfect timing.
Speaker 8: You can never time the market one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: And right now we're in a kind of a weird market zone where some homes that are new to the market are selling really really quickly.
Speaker 8: If you have a ranch home to.
Speaker 5: Sell, I'm going to tell you please call me, because I have three buyers right now looking for a ranch home to purchase, but they're looking for a ranch home that's not six thousand square feet. They're looking for a just a moderate ranch home that's maybe two thousand square feet. So, you know, the whole thing is as we move along and being in the business for twenty years, the whole point of and this is where we got caught when the more trades were so darn low. Everybody just stood still for so long. The average time that we live in our home. When I first got in the business, it was five years, then it was seven years, and now the average time you live in your home is ten years. I actually think in Cincinnati it's probably longer than that because we just tend to stay in our home and we're happy. And especially if you live on the West Side, you've lived in your home for fifty years or it's been passed down from generation to generation. And that's fine, as long as you understand that there are some opportunities that you might be missing when it comes to your home. Okay, that is all right. So yeah, now's a good time. It's spring, it's now. Now's a good time to.
Speaker 8: Say, Okay, should I stay or should I go?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 5: You know, should I stay or should I sell, do a little checkup, call a real estate agent.
Speaker 8: That's what I do.
Speaker 5: And you don't have to call a real estate agent just because you're selling. You can call someone like myself and just say, hey, listen, I'm thinking about selling. I don't know if it's the right time. I don't know if I'm ready, but I just want somebody to talk to. And you know what, that's what I do every day. And people are afraid to call and say, oh, I don't want to bother you. Well it's okay, because please bother her. She quite honestly keeps your occupied. My wife, Michelle Sloan. Sloan sells homes dot com, open House show That's me, the iHeartRadio app and of course the show on YouTube as well. She jumps in Thursdays, and as the interest said, she cuts through the real estate jungle. The problem is is why she's been at twenty years. She's been using left handed scissors. That's why it's taken her twenty years to cut through the real estate jungle.
Speaker 4: Is the real thing.
Speaker 8: That's a thing.
Speaker 2: How about that? You were right? Just you know, just like the wedding mouse said, Obey, gosh, I'm going to make.
Speaker 8: It four hundred and fifty one years.
Speaker 2: Love it once in a while. You're right, and I like to hear it.
Speaker 4: And I got it.
Speaker 2: I got the cut. There's a cut. I got the cut. Thank you, all right, love you, gotta go see you later.
Speaker 3: We got a whole week to come up on material for next week's fight, any I love her so anyway, let's give a news update. Here Willie on the way next to Home of the Red seven hundred ww since now