Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again.
Speaker 2: We're Get Right running.
Speaker 4: Back, hosted by Dodgers and seigner David Bassi, a threet in the mix. Dodger Talk is brought to you by LA County Public Works Champions Recycle Beverage Containers make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital LA from Colds to Cancer. We got this to get in on the show called eight six six not eighty seven two five seven Day, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David vasse Day.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until eight thirty tonight here on AM five seventy LA Sports and one oh four point three HD two. After the Dodgers fall to the Cardinals three to two and squander Rochi Sasaki's best start, I would venture of his career. I don't remember him pitching this well in any of his starts. Last year he went six innings tonight, through a career high in pitches, went over the one hundred pitch mark tonight and retired the last ten batters that he faced. After the third inning, which was a rocky third inning. That's the inning where he gave up all three runs, he settled down. I'm not sure if Mark Pryor told him something in the dugout, because he was a completely different pitcher and started to attack the strike zone with his fastball, something that everybody's been pleading for going back to last year. He seemed to be throwing his cutter splitter first pitch in the first three innings, and then all of a sudden, a switch went off and he started throwing his fastball for first pitch strikes and attacking the strike zone, not pitching away from contact. That's something else you've been hearing Dave Roberts talk about. They want him to not be afraid to pitch to contact, and that's how he was able to get easy innings in the fourth, fifth, and sixth innings. So maybe this is a start that helps Sasaki turn the corner because it was his best and I don't give him praise easily, and tonight it was really good. It's unfortunate. The Dodger offense is still in a slumber and really have been going back to the last road trip at Corus Field. Sure they had a couple of outbursts against the Cubs, but outside of that, this offense has not done what it did the first three weeks of the season. And really, if you look at how they did it the first three weeks of the season, they were getting a red hot out of this world. Andy Pa has to go along with a red hot Max Munsey, and the bottom third of the order was doing their job. All of a sudden. Now Pajez has come back to earth in a big way. You're still not getting anything from Otani and Tucker and Will Smith has been luke warm. Not to mention, Freddie Freeman was in a horrendous slump before yesterday. So you know, the Dodgers have not gotten what they need to get out of the big boys, the guys that are paid a lot of money to produce. The Dodgers went out to get Kyle Tucker to get more offensive outfield production, and it hasn't been there. It's still a crater sized hole to begin this season. And today it was nice to see Tucker make contact and get something going in that ninth inning, but it has not looked good for him. He's hitting two thirty eight with a six eighty seven OPS. Today, the Dodgers one through four hitters were combined two for fifteen with three strikeouts and no extra base hits. Come on, that's not gonna win you a lot of games, and it's part of the reason why they're in this funk of losing nine of their last thirteen. They've lost four in a row, and you heard Freddy Freeman say it on the last day of the homestand a big reason why the Dodgers are twenty and thirteen is because of their starting pitching. If they were not getting the type of starting pitching that they have gotten to start the year, they might be a five hundred team. Because it's certainly not the offense. The offense has got to figure it out. And look, the scary part of this is the second half of last year. Andrew Freeman and Dave Roberts did not hide this. After the season. They brought up that they needed to fix the offense add to the offense because of an extended second half slump, not by just one guy but the entire offense, and then in the postseason you look at the World Series, they only hit two oh three. So the only concern for me is these same pretty much group of players have been in a slump for the better part of the second half of last year and now the first month of this season, and that's concerning. Really the only consistent hitter since day one for the Dodgers has been Max Munsey. Can you name anybody else that has been as good as Max Munsey from day one to where we're at right now, there hasn't been. Otani is hitting two fifty two, by the way, with an eight thirty five OPS. He hasn't hit many home runs, and you know, he's zero for eleven during this four game losing streak. So the reality is right or wrong, good or bad, if you agree with it or not. The reality is the Dodgers feed off Otani. If Otani's not going, this offense is not going to go. Kyle Tucker has been moved down to the fourth spot. The Dodgers have done as much as they can to try to make him feel comfortable. But like I said last night, if I'm Dave Roberts, I'm considering moving Max Munsey up to the cleanup spot and moving Tucker to the sixth spot. He's supposed to be a guy that sees a lot of pitches, Well, make him see him in the sixth spot until he gets it going again. And if you go back and look at Tucker's best years, it was when he was hitting fifth and sixth for the Astros. That's the reality of it. And how much a player's making makes no difference about the reality of what he does on the field. So you know, it is what it is. The Dodgers paid him because they could, and they thought that they were getting an upgrade, and they very well, I'm not going to say they very well might they will get that return at some point this season. It just hasn't been to begin this year. And a couple of things when it comes to Kyle Tucker. He's swinging at the first pitch more than ever, almost double the time that he has in his entire career. He's swinging at the first pitch fifty two percent of the time this year. Last year, just for some context, he's swung at it thirty five percent of the time. And now he's getting spun to death. Pitchers are throwing a lot of spin at him because they know he gets his power off the fastball. And even when he does get a fastball, he's fouling it back or he's rolling over. So you know, I don't he's gonna get it going at some point. He's too good not to. But right now a lot of guys that a lot of guys are in a slump at the same time, and you just wonder what's been said in those hitters meetings and how are those guys coming to the realization that you're trying to cover. I'll go back to what two guys that are experts and really good forget about me, Adrian Gonzalez and Nomar Garcia Para said at it perfectly last night. These guys are trying to cover too much of the plate, and they're swinging at pitches outside the strike zone, and they're not being aggressive early in the count. Once you start doing that and maybe flipping the script on some of these pitchers, you might be in a better spot. Eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Cardinals for the second straight night, three to two. The final score. Michael McGreevy at a Saclamene induced four ground ball double plays by the Dodgers. Roki Sasaki takes the loss and Riley O'Brien with his ninth save of the year, a game that saw the Dodgers go homerless again. It's now five straight games the Dodgers have not hit a home run. The last time they had a drought like that, Don Mattingly was the manager back in May of twenty fifteen. Let's go out to more Park. Don lead us off on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: How you doing, Don, Well, I'm doing great, and I'm here to remind you that the Dodgers are on pace to win ninety five games this season. So there's no reason to summon the panic brothers.
Speaker 2: Look, they are panicking right now up on the hill. But the one thing that's concerning Don is the offense. And you're waiting for this offense to really get going because they have so many good players in this lineup and we just haven't seen that going back to the first half of last year.
Speaker 5: Well, I can tell you right now what's happening. The first five are not seeing the ball out of the pitcher's hand. They're just not getting a good read. Every one of them has a stance like a hundred year old woman with extreme or arthritis, and their swings are glitchy as a ninety year old.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, we get the analogies. I get it, all right, Don I get it.
Speaker 5: I mean what they need to do is they need to get back to their stance they had at the beginning of last season. They need to find their place in the batter's box, and they need to lay off those energy drinks because what's happening is their retinas are bouncing up and down inside their eyeballs.
Speaker 2: So you think they're too caffeinated. You feel like they're too caffeinated. Okay, Don, thank you for the phone call. Look, I love a good accelerator before a game. Don't get me wrong, but hey, all I can tell you is I agree with Don. The only thing I agree with Don about are two things. It's not panic time and b Yes, a lot of guys are not seeing the ball well and that's evident by their swings. A lot of indecisive swings, a lot of expanding of the strike zone. So yes, Don, I agree with you, and I'm not sure I'm going to use any of your ninety year old geriatric analogies moving forward. But I appreciate the attempt. Let's go out to Roy, who's in downtown. How you doing, Roy, You're on Dodger Talk, Good.
Speaker 6: Dave, How are you great as usual?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 6: I think we need I don't get why we don't do this some more creativeness in the in the in the lineup, in the batting order. I mean, the only guys really producing are Max and Sasaki in short so and that gotta be probably a good leadoff guy. You know, I disagree.
Speaker 2: I disagree with you. Kim. Kim would not be a good leadoff hitter because he doesn't know the strike zone. And I think that's obvious by the way that his betting average and on base percentage have gone down consistent since he has gotten more playing time. He's now hitting two ninety three and his OPS is seven sixty one. I think the Dodgers not having rookie Bets. Dodgers not having rookie Betts is a huge hole in this lineup, and I feel like people don't appreciate how good rookie Betts still is. I feel like he's such an oversight and nobody even brings him up. He would be in your lineup instead of Hayes On Kim.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but the guys I'm producing and you don't have Bookie, so you gotta shake it up. Why not shake it up? You know, Max? Put him third or forth, he's he's hitting the crud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you. I think Munsey should hit clean up tomorrow and Will Smith probably is gonna get a day off day game after a night game, so it'll be great to have Dalton Rushing in the lineup. He struck out to end the game coming off the bench, but he's one of the best hitters this side of month Sie. The Dodgers have had a specially in the month of May. Excuse me, April, thanks for the phone call, Roy, appreciate it. Yeah, that's another part of this that I think we're ignoring. No Mookie bets and I know he was off to a slow start, but he only played the first two weeks. Number two, I think you're missing Dalton Rushing. Dalton Rushing had forty something at bats in the month of April had an ops of thirteen hundred seven home runs, the second most to Max Munsey, who plays every day. I really believe Dalton Rushing was gonna come through there in the ninth inning, he took a first pitch fastball, and that's what I mean, be aggressive early in the count I remember Mike Piazza used to say this all the time. He believed that you only get one pitch per at bat to hit, and it could be the very first pitch. No Mare Garcia Para felt that way too, So I would have liked to have seen Rushing step into the batters box even coming off the bench, ready to hit, because Riley o brian was on the ropes right there with a string of hits and on the ropes, and he allowed O'Brien to get ahead of him and threw him a spinner and he struck out the end to end the game. But that's gonna happen. It's a tough job coming off the bench, especially when you're a young player. But I like Dalton Rushing. I like the way that he has brought out different clubs for different situations. That's part of the reason why he's hitting close to four hundred with runners in scoring position. So look, Freddie Freeman and Will Smith are going to play every day. But the reality is Dalton rushing has been one of the best hitters this side of Max Munsey, and he'll be in the lineup tomorrow somewhere, and I think that'll help the Dodgers score some runs against Dustin May. Speaking of Will Smith, did you know Will Smith is one of the best catchers percentage wise of getting calls overturned with this new ABS. He's got twenty three out of thirty two challenges right behind the plate. That's seventy two percent correct. That's as much as Augustine Ramirez of the Marlins, who is tied with Will Smith for the best percentage of getting calls overturned. I had a chance to catch up with Will Smith to ask him what his strategy is, what the Dodgers strategy is, and how he thinks so far this ABS challenge system is working.
Speaker 8: No, it's not used as many as you can. I think it's you know, know the situation, No, the count, you know, kind of where we're at in the game, when anywhere at was to score, you know, I think offensively, we've we've talked about trying to be a little more aggressive with it, firing a few more bullets at times instead of just leaving it to you know, Dalton and I. So it's just reading the game. You know, if you're right, If you know you're right, call it. But other than that, like kind of know the situation, but also don't be afraid to fire a bullet.
Speaker 2: You know, does some homeplate umpires embrace it more than the others?
Speaker 8: Uh, just to know. I think overall they've been really good. Actually, I think it kind of holds an accountable you know, pitch to pitch, they got to be really locked in or else they're gonna get kind of embarrassed. If they don't want to be embarrassed. You know, they're all trying to do a really good job, and I think it just helps, you know, helps them.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, there is Will Smith. You could hear that full conversation, by the way on the iHeartRadio app. Yeah, he's been that good behind the play getting seventy two percent of his challenges right. And going back to the beginning of the year, the Dodgers started with their strategy to give their catchers Will Smith and Dalton Rushing the majority of the opportunities to challenge pitches, not really having their hitters challenge it unless it's a big spot. But you just heard what Will Smith said. They've kind of tweaked their strategy to try to be a little bit more aggressive with their challenges as hitters if they believe that the ball is outside of the strike zone. So I know a lot of you are wondering what the Dodgers' strategy is. I gave you a taste of it early in the year with Max Muntsey, and you're just getting an updated strategy on what the Dodgers are doing ABS challenge wise from Will Smith. And he's been one of the best. He's been really good. Eight six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. I don't know about you, but when it comes to these ABS challenges, I know, when it comes into the strike zone and we're all watching it, it's great TV. If you're in the stadium, it's great. It's great drama. But don't you feel like the spirit of the rule was not to have this electronic baseball barely touched the border of the strike zone and be called a strike. It's kind of like when they put the instant replay in and base runners were going in doing the pop up slide and they were coming off the base for a split second and being called out that that wasn't too me. The spirit of why they put in the challenges or why instant replay was in similar to this. I kind of feel like if I were to make a tweak to this ABS challenge system is to designate a percentage of the ball in the strike zone if you're going to call it a strike, whether it's for the Dodgers or against the Dodgers. I think it's really weird when you're watching this electronic baseball just barely a centimeter, barely touch the border of the strike zone. To me, that's not why the ABS challenge system was put in place. But I asked Bob garn this, who is Dave roberts right hand man with the bench coach Danny Leman, and he said, Okay, I understand what you're saying, and it looks weird. But if a baseball is hit and barely hits the foul pole, is at fair or foul for a home run? I said, well, it's a home run, it's fair. Well, there you go. Same thing with the ABS challenge system. But still it feels like the umpires are getting it right for the most part, and when an umpire calls a pitch a ball, and then they challenge it and it barely touches the zone. I feel like that's a little cheap right there. I feel like at least forty five percent of the baseball has to be in the strike zone to overturn it. I don't know, that's my feelings. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have two lines open. Let's go back out to the phones. Kenny in Tarzana. You're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse. How you doing.
Speaker 7: I'm doing really well. Gaby first call the season. Hopefully we'll have a number of others. So you you talked about rushing and you felt that he was not aggressive enough tonight he got a nice pitch. But then you also were criticizing Tucker for I think you said he's swinging at fifty did the first pitch?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's not who he is. He's been in the league a long time. He's only swinging at thirty percent of the first pitches that he sees. Now all of a sudden, he's swinging at fifty two percent.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, you know, I didn't understand the Dodgers begging the second highest average annual value a top ten MVP one time. I didn't get it. It's nice to have him on the team, but we overpaid him. But watch out for show. Hey, you remember fifteen home runs last year in May, He's gonna get on fire. We'll see.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've repeated that too a few times, so we'll keep on trying to speak it into existence. Kenny, Yeah, good, Okay, thank you for the phone call. Look, what I'm seeing is a lot of hitters. And you've heard this phrase a few times. Paralysis by analysis a lot of guys, and the Dodgers are the best at this. Not everybody is one size fits all. A guy like Andy pa Has does not lead a lot of information. He's not the same as Will Smith. Freddie Freeman is not a guy that's gonna look at the iPad at his swing. He doesn't need to. He has said that repeatedly. But I feel like in a good way, the Dodger hitting coaches are providing a lot of information, and I think at times, especially when things are not going well, it's paralysis by analysis. Too much information, and some guys get overloaded by that information. And look, the Dodger hitting coaches, as all their coaching staff does, puts in a lot of work, a lot of time to filter the information to make it easier for the players to process and perform. But right now, with the swings that I'm seeing on certain pitches, certain counts, it just reminds me of what we have seen the last four year years or so when things are not going well. Teams are starting to pitch the Dodgers backwards and their information is not caught up to what's happening in real time. The adjustments in game need to be made quicker and better. I think that's what we need to see. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Celebrate ninety years of Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions in payouts every race day. For heart pounding action and new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. All right, we're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, more of your phone calls, and also you'll hear from Joe Kelly. Plus we have great news when it comes to Bruce Star Grattarol and Brock Stewart. Two big time relievers that the Dodgers have not had in quite some time, So we'll give you an update on when they may return. And also you'll hear from Joe Kelly, who gave his opinion on and how the Dodgers should manage Shoho Tani on the days that he pitches. So a lot to get to between.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: In the bottom of the hour, the Dodgers fall to the Cardinals three to two. They have lost four in a row and have not hit a home run in their last five games, and they're trying to turn it around Tomorrow. We'll see if they can against former teammate Dustin May. But we got a lot more Dodger talk next right here on a F five to seventy LA Sports and one of four point three HD two.
Speaker 9: Must be nice to just listen to a baseball game and put all your troubles aside. Well, at KFI AM six forty we don't have that luxury. Somebody has to do the work of holding the very fabric of our society together.
Speaker 10: Bill Handle week Day six to nine am, Carrion Shannon nine am to New Monks and Merrill Dune to three pm, John Cobelt three to six pm. Tim Conway Junior six to ten pf.
Speaker 9: KFI make us the number one preset on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: We want to remind you that every time the Dodgers win, Cars for Kids wins because we're making a donation and you should too. Donate that old car to Cars for Kids now. Call one eight seven seven Cars for Kids today and they'll pick up your car as soon as tomorrow. They've been accepting vehicle donations now for over thirty years, so you're working with the experts. Call one eight seven seven Cars for Kids, or visit Cars for Kids dot org to donate. Now that's cars with a K. Donate that old car to Cars for Kids today.
Speaker 3: I met my husband at a Dodgers game. He was a lifelong fan, so chair for the team was part of the deal and I was all in all our mouth Sundates have been at games, We had a Dodger's theme wedding, our kids are fans. We even USA hashtag where it all started on socials. When we go to games. We've made Dodger Stadium truly our second home.
Speaker 12: Beg of America Champions, Dodger Nation, and everyone who dares to ask what would you let the power to do. Bag of America, the official bank of the Los Angeles Dodgers, copyright twenty twenty six, Bank of America Corporation.
Speaker 1: All rights reserved.
Speaker 13: Escape the confines of the city for the expanse of beauty of the Santa Ynez Valley. Enjoy and vibrant two hour drive up the coast to your destination getaway Shoemash Casino Resort. Trade in your daily hustle and bustle for a stress free, no agenda necessary break. We have all your favorite things, from a spacious gaming floor to a relaxing pool to an elegant four diamond restaurant. Pure joy awaits welcome to freedom. Go to Shoemash Casino dot com. M's you twenty one or older gambling problem called one hundred.
Speaker 4: Kimbler on air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA Sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassan.
Speaker 2: Cardinals beat the Dodgers tonight three to two in Saint Louis. Saint Louis has won six in a row after sweeping the Pirates in Pittsburgh. In a four game series. They come back to beat the Dodgers in the first two games of this series and have the same record as the Dodgers twenty and thirteen. The Dodgers offense continue to struggle tonight. They were not heard from until the ninth inning, when Max Munsey, Teoscar Hernandez and Andy Pajez were able to mant a little bit of a rally, string some hits together and score the only two Dodger runs. But unfortunately it was not enough, as the Dodgers go down to the Cardinals tonight three to two. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit AM five to seventy lasports dot com, use the keyword home run and to your name and you could win Daniels Jeweler. Daniels Jewelers own the dream all right, And by the way, I want to remind you on May seventh, which is this coming Thursday, all be out at Downy Hunday with our guy Alex Vesia. That's right, Alex Vesia will be at Downy Hunday this Thursday, from four to five o'clock and it is gonna be a good time. He'll be out there taking photos. We're gonna have a DJ out there. We're gonna have a big time experience. We'll do a Dodger talk from out there as well. So it's gonna be a good time this Thursday out at Downy Hunday four to five o'clock with alex Vesia. So we look forward to seeing you out there Downy Hunday. It's all about the experience. By the way, speaking of the bullpen in alex Vesia, help is on the way. Brock Stewart has completed his rehab assignment in Oklahoma City and is expected to rejoin the Dodgers when they go to Houston. So that's great news. And how about this Bruce dar Gretorol, who has not appeared in a professional game since Game five of the twenty four World Series, was back in action tonight for Oklahoma City. Remember Graterol underwent shoulder surgery after the twenty four season. It's been a long road back. That shoulder has not responded until now. This is the farthest his shoulder has allowed him to go. And Bazooka tonight in his first game since the twenty four World Series, pitched a one two three inning with two groundouts and a strikeout in eight pitches. So Bruce star Graderol fingers crossed he bounces back well tomorrow, but certainly a big time hope that Bruce dar Grattarol can return and all of a sudden, the Dodger bullpen will look significantly different when they get Brock Stewart back in Houston, and then probably in three to four weeks Bruce s Darr Gratterol, not to mention Evan Phillips coming back from Tommy John surgery at some point in the second half, and also Edwin dis the Dodger bullpen is going to be significantly deeper over the course of the season as it goes along, and Joe Kelly knows all about that. Joe Kelly was a big part of the Dodger bullpen from twenty nineteen to twenty twenty four, and he joined us on the pregame show and Dodger Talk, and I asked him about Otani because he is never short of an opinion. He watches the Dodgers every game, and I asked him how he believes the Dodgers should manage O'tani when he pitches.
Speaker 14: How would I manage it? I would manage it just by a personal feel or a healthwise standpoint. Right, we don't know what if he's barking from you know, taking swings and pitching, Like, what if his arm gets more tired, you know in the past couple starts while he's hitting. What if he's having those conversations behind the scenes. No one knows, right, So I would just probably you know, try to be in tune with showhy as much as I can leading up to a start. You know, if he says he's ready to rock, and I'd let him swing if something's bugging him or or maybe the swings are messing with his mechanics or you know, I mean he's dominating on the mountain, right and something you don't want to mess up. He's one of the best pitchers in all of baseball, you know, American League, National League. So when that's happening, you know, as an organization, you're like, well, shoot, maybe he's more valuable as a pitcher and we could just keep him at this high level of performance that he's doing now, and we'll just skip the four at bets. He's gonna get that game, you know what I mean. So if that's the case, I would if you know that that's the reason why Show he could pitch that, well, I would definitely as a as a manager or as an organization, I'd be like, hey, Show, Hey, you are the best pitcher in baseball right now, Like, do you want to mess that up? And I just asked him personally, And if he says no, they'll be like, all right, well you're not going to hit today, you know what I mean. So it just be those conversations that I'd have behind the scenes that no one knows. No one knows the real reason, right, We'll never get the real reason. You know, you know how baseball goes. But you know, if it's working, you know, hes dominating the amount like he is.
Speaker 6: You know, it's.
Speaker 14: Whatever he feels he's most comfortable with to keep that high level of performance.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So there you have it from Joe Kelly. It sounds like he is on board with what the Dodgers want to do. And if shohy Otani really does want to shoot for the cy Young this year and help the Dodgers win a three peat by pitching on the mound. It makes complete sense that you've got to be able at thirty one years old to not be able to do both every single day. But look, the reality is Otani has not pitched since the last homestand and he's still scuffling offensively. So I'm not sure if the pitching is taking more out of him and it's taking longer for him to recover, and if that's taking something out of his lower half when he hits, and if that's taken something out of his lower half for not just the day after, but the next couple of days, that's something to consider. But he certainly has not looked like sho Hey Otani from the last two years as a hitter, and I just think he's not seeing the baseball really well. I don't believe it has anything to do with his pitching. And like I said, as he told me in Toronto when the Dodgers were on their first road trip, he said, April, he's not feeling like himself, but he always feels historically like May is his month. By the way, as the Dodgers are wrapping up their series in Saint Louis tomorrow, Blake's now will be making his third rehab start in Oklahoma City against round Rock. All is going to make one more rehabs start after tomorrow and then should return to the Dodger rotation. And after the way Roki Sasaki has pitched his last two starts, especially the way he pitched in the final three innings tonight, you gotta wonder if what I mentioned last night may happen. If Roki can continue to show that he can attack the strike zone and be what he was tonight, either sheh or Robleski's gonna go to the bullpen and piggyback him as insurance. I don't see any other way this is going to work out. And let's be honest. If you had to say who pitched better out of these last two nights, it's Roki Sasaki. He pitched better than she in She and only didn't even go five innings. Last night, Roki Sasaki won six innings and retired to the last ten that he faced. So you know, I still maintain that it's not a competition. Andrew Freeman already knows what he's going to do, and I believe he's not going to be influenced by any one start, But after what he saw tonight from Roki Sasaki. That may give him encouragement that Roki can handle staying in the rotation pitching once a week, and you can have Robleski or Sheh on alert to back him up any start and manage your your high leverage relievers that way, Let's take one more phone call before we say goodnight. David in Pasadena walk us off on Dodger Talk tonight.
Speaker 15: Hi, David, good to hear your voice. And I've called you a couple of times in the last two or three weeks. I had a quick question for you on one of your comments.
Speaker 16: I'd like to ask you about this idea regarding Dalton Rushing getting more at that so we know Will Smith is going to catch three out of four games. He's America's catcher. We know Freddy's not going anywhere because he's a first ballot Hall of Famer. And what about the idea of benching ti Oscar for about a month.
Speaker 15: And just put Dalton out there on the left field. I think, well, what doesn't Tioscar He's got a seven oh six. Ops I just checked on Google while I was waiting. He's hitting what two thirty eight? And Dalton's got what a fifteen hundred ops or fourteen hundred and he's got you know, home, he's crushing the ball. Why don't we ride that wave and just put tioscar the love the sunflower seeds and he's he got the great smile and the energy. But come on, Rushing needs to be in that game every day.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. And if he was more comfortable in left field, I would say I would give him more reps out there, But he has not picked up an outfielder's glove since the middle of last year in the minor leagues, so he's gonna be I personally believe his future position with the Dodgers is going to be first base. I really do. I believe there's a very good chance he could even be the Dodgers starting first basement at some point next year. And look, I'm not ready to bury Freddie Freeman like everybody else is, but I feel like with Will Smith on this team, the Dodgers, who got criticized David for or Or are getting more jealousy and envy of having Otani not count as a pitcher. Well, they could have Dalton Rushing as their backup catcher and be their starting firstman at the same time and not have just an obligatory backup catcher roster spot moving forward similar to what they have now, and have an extra bench players spot if Rushing can do both. So left field to me is not in play right now. I would love it to be in play, but it's not so until I see Dalton Rushing taking fly balls in left field, it's first base or catcher for him.
Speaker 15: Okay, I understand, Thank you, Okay.
Speaker 2: David, thanks for the phone call. That'll do it for us tonight.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, if one of these outfielders is slumping, I would be all for Dalton Rushing playing left field. It I just haven't seen him even have an outfielders glove. He has a first baseman's glove. I don't think he has an outfielder's glove. He never played the outfield in spring training either, so maybe that'll change. We'll see how things go for Taya moving forward. Tomorrow, Justin Robleski will be on the mound for the Dodgers. He's four and oh with an ERA of one point fifty, going up against former Dodger Dustin May, who is three and two with an ERA of five twenty eight Our coverage begins at ten am tomorrow with Tim Kates and Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. First pitch from Saint Louis at eleven fifteen with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett. By the way, the Dustin May trade another under the radar, really good trade by Andrew Friedman. You traded Dustin May to the Red Sox and he only made five starts for them, and you got back James Tibbs the third and Zach Erhart, two future major league outfielders, one of them that could be starting as soon as next year. I mean, both those guys are major league outfielders. Earhart probably a fourth outfielder. Tibbs has a chance to be a starter. And you got both of them for five starts of Dustin May and Austin I mean, come on, that's a really good trade, all right. Thanks to our guy Daniel West and our Burdbank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald in Saint Louis, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it on the iHeartRadio app. Make us a preset, subscribe to Dodger Talk, and also you can listen to AM five seventy LA Sports and Dodger Talk on one oh four point three FM HD two. I had a chance to do that last week and man AM five seventy in stereo is beautiful, So we are a FM station. You just gotta go to HD two one to four point three and also you can listen on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score tonight in Saint Louis, the Cardinals beat the Dodgers three to two. We'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 8: See you.
Speaker 1: This has been another edition of world champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: We are back to bank.
Speaker 3: Yes yeah.
Speaker 4: To catch anything you miss, be sure to subscribe and follow us wherever you get your podcasts. Dodger Talk has been brought to you by First five California and by Daniels Jewelers, official sponsor of every trip around the Diamond Own the Tree.
Speaker 11: The Dodger's the best team ever.
Speaker 13: I mean, that's the best team I've ever seen assembled on paper.
Speaker 4: Join us next time as the Quest for the three peat continues on your exclusive home of the Dodgers Audio Network.