Speaker 1: In AMers County.
Speaker 2: It's phony here on seven hundred WLW ready to rock and roll this morning. I'm not quite sure what's going on with her behind the scenes stuff. Hold on just a second, I have a guest on the show here. Momentarily, I'm just gonna do this. Oh wow, all right, So trying to get hold of Alisha reached she was going to jump in this morning and talk about the fifty million dollar property tax relief incentive. Number one issue for every man and woman, I would save to say in Hamlin County, Butler County, Warren County, pretty much in the state is the issue of property taxes. I had yesterday on the show, Bill Sites, who was a co chair of the working group the governor put together. They came up with like a twenty point plan, and a lot of it makes you kind of your eyes glaze over. It's just numbers and terms that we don't easily understand. You know, we start talking about. Bottom line is if you're lucky, maybe you saw a twenty percent increase, but some people have seen two hundred, three hundred percent increases. Now for the average person, it's an extra I don't like eleven bucks, twelve bucks a month. In some cases you're like, Okay, no big deal. If you're a senior and you're pinching pennies, a little more difficult there. But the big problem, of course, is when you start to see some folks who are getting hit literally with hundreds and hundreds of dollars more, that's a different story entirely. Alicia Reese, Hamlin County Commissioner, on the show on seven hundred WLW welcome back.
Speaker 1: How you been, Hey, great? How are you love? I'm doing what?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's good to be back. It's good to be here. Limping along. I saw the Butler County. A bunch of counties are doing stuff right. Butler County is doing a fifty million dollar property tax relief initiative. As I said, number one issue for voters right now is that. A bunch of other counties too, I know that like Franklin County and others are doing things to try and relieve some of the burden. You saw this and it was almost what a year ago, I think a year ago, next month, this coming month, when you guys said, you know what, you're finally going to get that property tax rollback. We've guaranteed when we built an new stadiums a couple of several decades ago. Now, so the end result is you look at Butler County said, well, why aren't we doing that?
Speaker 1: Well, absolutely, thron you know, I've been on this issue. You've been on this issue. I've been on this show. We've been dealing with this when I first got elected almost five years ago, and we kept saying, probably taxes, it's the number one issue. That's what we said. And so one of the things that we've tried to do, of course short term things. One was I said, hey, we're talked about affordable housing. That's great, but we've got to also make sure that the people can afford to keep the house they already have. And so I said, we're going to take some of this money to help stop gap that because we've got these new appraisals coming through. So we put six million dollars to try to help people get through and hoping that the state legislature would get this solved. Then the next thing I did, I said, well, wait a minute, I gave my state of the county and I said, hey, governor, let's free the taxes on senior citizens, particularly until the legislature gets this done. It's good to put a committee together, but I've been at the state House and I know what happens with those committees. They go back and forth, back and forth. In the meantime, your property tax is going up and you're trying to hang on to your house. And we had almost one hundred homeowners come down to the county one of the county meetings regarding this issue. I said, they need help right now, so I have them and freeze of property taxes on that. The other thing that we did was, you know, the thirty percent that was promised to voters so many years ago with the stadium deals. That was never kept. And in the four years I had been there, I was able to get it passed two of those years. And I've been on your show and certainly some of your listeners helped us to achieve that as well. But in the new Bengal deal lease, which is what I had the big problem with, we wouldn't be were we got rid of the thirty percent. You can't do thirty percent. I even asked the administrator and he said, no, there'll be no money in here for the taxpayers to get a thirty percent break. Even though that's what was promised, and that's why I didn't go with the deal. I said, the taxpayers are written out of the deal. I can't go with it. But now we're seeing a law was passed where it allows us at the local level to double the homestead. Now we would have to pay for it, you know, every county would have to pay for it. So Butler County stepped up and I talked to one of the commissioners there because I had some interest in it. They stepped up and said, Hey, we're gonna do fifty million dollars. We're going to double this homestead and we're going to do it with our own money until the state gets it together. I then introduced the motion just last week when I saw that, and I said, mister Administrator Jeffaluto, who we're putting our budget together for you know, we do one year budget, so we're putting the budget together now. He had never mentioned it at first, and so I introduced the motion in the meeting saying, I want this looked into immediately. And I can't even because each of us turn in our budgets. I can't turn in a budget. If I didn't know that we could do this because I now want to look at this right. So we would have turned in our budgets and had no idea we could do this. I said, hold on, I need to know about this and come. And then I asked him, I said, well, why did Butler County move so quick? He said, oh, yeah, by the way, you have in October. We have a deadline this month to make a decision. And so again when we looked at the budgets, we always find money for, you know, the big projects, you know, whether it's a Bengal leave or a big project. But when it comes to the people, they say, oh, we're broke. We're not able to help the homeowner. And I told him, I said, my number one thing, we can't price the people out of Hamilton County where they can't afford to live here and can't afford to hold on to their home. I had gotten a letter one time from a senior citizen. You could tell she could barely write. And she hands me shaking based on the letter, and she said she had never in her life she missed her property tax. She always pays her taxes, but she just can't do it, and she deserves to hold onto her home and that really touched me. And after that I just have been, you know, relentless on trying to get this done. Now they've issued a report from the state. You know, some of this stuff got to go to the legislature. They got to take it to the House, and they got to take to the Senate, and they got to go back and forth. But people need help immediately, and so I have put a motion forward to see if we can at least start with this budget doubling the homestead to help our seniors. Again, I would I would encourage the governor to freeze these property taxes until they can get it done, so that can put some sense of urgency on it. But if Butler County is doing it, Warren County's looking into it, I think we've got to look into it.
Speaker 2: So it's just you know, the rich suburban communities like Butler and Warcott. Green County's doing something. They said that they're going to temporar roll back a half middle of the inside millage. Montgomery County, which is Dayton, of course, said they're working on promoting property tax relief and expanding homestead which you did here in Hamlin County. Owner occupancy credit stuff like that as well. And so it's not just the wealthy quote unquote wealth of your suburbs are doing this. It's happening all of the states simply because it is so broken. Yesterday in the show, I had the code chair and former Ohio House Minority Speaker from Green Township, Bill Sites on the show. He was the co chair of the working group the governor put together to try and come up with a plan. They issued a twenty point plan to try and fix the property tax issue. One of the things came up and see if you agree with this or not, and that is the control through the county Budget Commission, which would be the Hamlet County Budget Commissioner, or your concern would be the reduction of unnecessary excessive levees basically meaning instad saying that you know, you can't if a levee fails, you can't come back right away put the levee back on the ballot. From someone who is very pro local control, county control, how does that sit with you?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, the state always what I call it trickle down taxation. They cut things at the state level and they pass it on to the local level and really don't give us the power. I'll give you an example of people dealing with their sewer bills and I wanted when I first got there, I said, well, wait a minute, let's try to put a freeze on it for senior citizens, etc. They said, no, you can't do that because the state. You got to get approval from a state, and then the state never did give us approval. They're still running around talking about they got a build, but they never put it in the budget. You know, some of this control they're talking about, it was never put in the state budget. And being at the state, if it's not at the state budget, it doesn't have a deadline. And if it doesn't have a deadline at the state, you know how they do, They study, study, study, at what they do is say go back home, and then when you go home, they you know, they cut the local government fund. I don't, we don't have money to do anything. Uh. You know, I was up in the state. I remember they kept saying, well, raise the taxes at the local level, and we're gonna cut it up at this level. And I jumped them and said, this is trickle down taxation. So again it's almost a passing of the buck. Uh. You know, because what I've seen is that the state could fix this problem immediately. And what we have right now is we have a we have you know, property tax are do and bills are due right now, and we're talking about studying and a long term approach. I think we need a long term plan, but you know, the lady that wrote me and the other people that I've interacted with, they need a right now plan. And I'm hoping that there are some things that we can do. Hopefully doubling this homestead will be Hopefully we can move forward with it. The debate, though, is does the local people pay or does the state give us the money to pay the doll.
Speaker 2: That's the problem, right this goes well, the problem is, of course, it goes back to what's Strickland. And the idea was, hey, you know what, we've got to right size the state budget. And so what we're gonna do is we're gonna cut off all the local money because we'd send our money to Columbus kind of like we do Washington and it trickles back to us. And that was the plan, all right, so we send our money, well, you know what, we're gonna do stuff at the state level we're going to cut off the local supply to counties and municipalities and alike. And that, of course, over the years, has put a lot of areas in a crunch. Property tax has a hand in that to some degree. But the thing is, okay, Well, the state is flushed with cash. Look at our well balanced budget. We've got a surplus at the state. The problem is that the money's not flo flowing back to the local communities and hasn't for some time. So in order to raise capital, you guys have to, Well, we got to raise taxes, We've got to put levies out there, and now we're going to put a cap on the lobbies. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's it's the state of politics because the entities at the time, to put it together, we're trying to run for higher office. That makes you look good when you're flushed with cash at the state level, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, at the state level they always say we got this rainy day. Fun I said, well, it's storming down here where I'm at at Hamilton County. Give it to us. And like you said, once you send it, it's like Washington. Once you send it to Washington. Don't. It never comes back. You know, we only get a small percentage once you send it to the state. It doesn't come back, just like a unclaimed funds, which I'm I'm pushing Sloan right now with my five one three relief bus. We're trying to help people get their money back. They want to give our money to Cleveland. We're not getting it back here. They gave six hundred million in the budget for Cleveland Browns out of our unclaim money. Focus on everybody claim our money.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I pushed back a little on that. Well, that's money that's been sitting around for ten years. And I would say this, like, if you're not plugged in enough to hear all the people talking about unclaimed monds funds, you go check the website. I went and checked, and I got like a check of a It took like thirty years, but I got to check for four hundred dollars. They're pretty happy and unplaying money.
Speaker 1: That was owed to me.
Speaker 2: But you know, you got to get off your ass if it's your money and get it after ten years. It's public money.
Speaker 1: But let me say this though, for years people because of the scams, people were thinking Is this real? Is this a scam? Is this one of those fraud things? So you had to get over that, and then they made it kind of difficult. You know those who were in the know, who you know, were able to do it. So now we're gonna make it simple. We've got the laptops, we got the five one three relief bus. They can go to five one three relief out or find the bus. And they ain't go. I saw a lady, a senior citizen. She jumped up and said, what they had two hundred of my money? You know, where the hell are you being? She thought it was a fraud.
Speaker 3: A lot of people, you know, because you know all these things, you know, you gotta do a look now you got to be good for people like you were out there doing the business, representing people and you're telling them it's like, oh, look, well I didn't believe it's Aleisha.
Speaker 1: That's a good thing. We were.
Speaker 2: We had enough people like yours talking about getting your money back. And if you don't want it to go to Cleveland, uh, then you know, and I didn't. I didn't want my four hundred dollars going to Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll be honest with you, I didn't know we had four billion dollars sitting up there. That a lot of money. A lot of people could be helped with it. If they were saying, we're gonna put that money toward the homestead, wouldn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now Brown's are getting the news.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: And by the way, you got that deal done. You finally we got the stadium deal done and all that stuff. Stadium deal. Okay, we got the stadium deal done, and then we turn around and the Bengals are terrible? Can we get our money back?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm and I tried to tell you that you got to read the sign print of these deals and the taxpayers was written. Now now now I'm on your show and you're hollering we won our money back? Get we not winning? And at the same time, Brandma's house, she can't hold onto her house. What did we get out of the deal. We needed one of those Denver Broncos deals where they said they're putting up all private money and we could have saved at Grandma's house. And so now we're fighting again to hold the property taxes. We took out the thirty percent, so now you can't get the thirty percent rebate that you and I have been fighting for every single year at least you can get something back, and that's not happening. And now we're not winning. And now we've got a deal, and we got a lease that will end at the same time as the Reds lease. Oh my god, we got problem. Maybe I said, have come on here you and gave me a headache.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I got your workdof You're the one who wanted the damn job, and now you don't want the damn job.
Speaker 1: I want the dog. But I'm trying to tell the people. I'm only one vote. And even with the property taxes, last time we had to fight, it was a two to one vote. I mean we didn't we didn't get a unanimous So again, uh, we're gonna keep fighting for this. I got a motion out. I want you. We're doing that. We're getting ready to the budget. And I told the vister Ludo, Now we can't say we're broke today and then tomorrow you got an eight hundred and fifty million dollar post almost a billion dollar Bengal lease and the taxpayers are left out. So that's what we're doing. But throw on Wednesday, next Wednesday, put on your pink. Put on your pink is Breast Cancer Awareness Day. My mother passed from it. A lot of other people had cancer. I've got a cancer Caucus state of cancer. It's hitting everybody. He doesn't care about your age, your race, your social status. The rates have gone up in Hamilton County. So we've got doctors in a call to action so that we get more screenings that no co pay and all that. And we're doing it next Wednesday. I want all celebrities, all the people in Hamilton County. We're wearing pink. But it's not just breast cancer. We're gonna take on all of the cancer and look at how we could get more money, more clinical trials, and more cures.
Speaker 2: But we got to do it through early detection from non Hodgkins lymfalma and breast cancers hit friends and family members. I know it all too well. And uh, I'm glad you're raising awareness for it. And I'm gonna I'll be glad to wear pink next Wednesday. The Cancer Caucus. She is a Hamlin County commissioner, Alicia Reese, trying her best to try and get some of that money back. All right, Alicia, I gotta get going. I always love having me on. You're a spark of light in another wase dismal Hamlin County. Let me put it that way.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. Let's keep the fight norse all right.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, appreciate you. Have a great day. We'll chat again next time. I got to get to a news update. I always love having Lisa bring noise. I have a little buyer's remorse at that state. I've got the stadium, they'll done. Can we get some of the unclaimed fun money? Maybe buy an offensive linement or two?
Speaker 1: Huh? Can we can we?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 2: All right now, Mike Brown's like, wait, what can we do?
Speaker 1: Can we do that?
Speaker 2: We can get players and we don't have to pay for I don't have to cut a chick. Hey wait a minutelet's fuck into that. Hey hey, he's on the side. Hey hey, oh frugalism. It's five minutes away from a news update. We'll do that and more to follow. Sloane here on this rainy and we welcome the rain on this Tuesday morning, by the way, because it's been bone dry for two damn long rain for a good solid day, good hard rain we needed here. Seven hundred w welwt