Speaker 1: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 2: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again, bar Running.
Speaker 2: Back, hosted by Dodger Saint signer David Vassi.
Speaker 3: Three pat in the mix.
Speaker 2: Dodger Talk is brought to you by La County Public Works Champions recycled beverage Containers make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital LA from Colds to Cancer. We got this to get in on the show called eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five, seven days and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasse.
Speaker 3: Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports and we have a great show for you tonight. We have two really cool guests on the show. Mike Sarota from Double A, Tulsa, who's going to participate in the Futures Game, is going to join us tonight coming up in fifteen minutes and at the bottom of the hour, we're going to be joined by Dodgers third base coach Dino Eble because he has a lot going on here this weekend.
Speaker 3: Before the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Even get to Philadelphia for the All Star Game, Dino is going to be part of Dave Roberts' coaching staff. He's going to be in the coaches box at third base for the Midsummer Classic. But before all that, Dino has another sun that is eligible for this year's draft that's happening Saturday. The Major League Baseball Amateur Draft is happening Saturday morning, and Dino Eble's youngest son, Trey Ebel, has skyrocketed as far as the rankings go and has a very good chance of being drafted in the first round of Saturday's amateur drafts. So he's going to be with his son Trey on Saturday morning and then head to Dodgers Stadium for the game on Saturday night, as the Dodgers will be taken on the Arizona Diamondbacks and Tomorrow night, our coverage begins at six o'clock with first pitch at seven to ten between the Dodgers and Snakes, and Sho Hao Tani is going to be on the mound. So we got Mike Sarota coming up. We got Dino Evil on the show as well, and I am going to ask Dino, since no Dodger players are going to participate in the home Run Derby, would he be open to doing what he did last year and throwing to a non Dodger if they asked him. Because Kyle Schwarburn the swing off, they needed somebody to throw and it was Dino that got selected. So I know that Dave Roberts wouldn't have a problem if none of the Dodger players are going to participate.
Speaker 3: And that's the case.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers, Freddie Freeman, Max Munsey Show, HEO, Tani Andy pa has have all decided that they are not going to participate in this year's Home Run Derby. And you can understand why. I mean, the Dodgers have bigger goals in mind than just winning the home Run Derby. It would be great to see Bryce Harper participate in the Home Run Derby in Philly.
Speaker 3: I love Bryce Harper.
Speaker 1: I love his edge, I love how much he has invested in the city that he decided to sign a long term contract with. And he's everything the Phillies have been about. He's the face of the franchise, and I wouldn't be opposed to a Schoreber versus Harper.
Speaker 3: You know, face off in the home run derby.
Speaker 1: So that's I'm not anti everybody else that's not a Dodger. I like the way Bryce Harper plays the game. I like that he's invested in the city and embrace the fact that he is the highest paid player on that team, and that he signed a long term contract and he's been true to his word.
Speaker 3: So we'll see how it plays out.
Speaker 1: So Mike Sioda coming up in fifteen minutes, Dino Ebol coming up at the.
Speaker 3: Bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers are coming off a successful first leg of this homestand a ten game homestand going into the All Star Break taking three out of four from the Padres, taking two out of three from the Rockies, including last night, where it looked a little dicey early on. It might have been the Dodgers needing to make a late run to score more than just four runs to win that game, but Roki Sasaki really settled down after he got into that second and third nobody out jam in the fourth inning, and Mookie Betts came up with a great at bat, nine pitch at bat with two strikes to drive in Tommy Edmond. Which brings me to what I really wanted to talk about tonight, and we talked about it on the show yesterday. But the reality is the Dodgers, as great as their offense has been and they are the best in baseball, they still haven't found a guy that is found a home hitting behind Shoho Tani in that two spot. As we stand tonight, the Dodgers' number two hitters, whether it's Tucker Freeman, Mookie Betts, Andy Paz, and last night Tommy Edman, are hitting a combined two twenty one with a two ninety five on base percentage and only slugging three thirty three. We're talking about Freddy Freeman, Mooki, Bets, Andy Pahz, Kyle Tucker, and look, there's all individual reasons why they have not succeeded. Early on in that spot, Mooki and Freddy got off to a slow start. Tucker was never comfortable there. But Andy Paz, he's not your prototypical number two hitter.
Speaker 3: It just doesn't seem like he's the guy.
Speaker 1: Paz in thirty seven games, one hundred and fifty four at bats as the Dodgers' number two hitter is sitting two forty with only five home runs, and you're like, all right, bet average now doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: You always reference Ops.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, Ops, it's above league average at seven forty six. But he's a much better hitter for the Dodgers hitting down in the order, which brings me to Tommy Edmund. Tommy Edman is so valuable for the Dodgers and you can put him anywhere in that lineup and he's not going to change, and that's why he's the perfect number two hitter for the Dodgers. And he could be a switch hitter. He is a switch hitter right left. You need a guy behind Otani that can hit lefties because you know, forget about the starting pitcher. But later in the game when they start to bring in the matchups with lefty relievers, you need a guy in between Otani and Freeman that could hit lefties because you're going to see a high leverage lefty reliever come into the game andenter Tommy Edman, who's a switch hitter who has a lot more power from the right side and is a really good hitter from the right side. And from the left side, and he's off to a tremendous start, and he saw it last night. He was two for four, he scored the Dodgers' first run, he was the one that scored the go ahead run on Mooki's go ahead base it. He had three straight singles, all three of those guys, by the way, with two strikes. So that's that's my solution right now for Tommy Yedman to be the Dodgers' number two hitter. Now, as we get closer to August third and on off day shows, we have a lot of time to not just dissect that night's game, but also, you know, the bigger picture for the Dodgers, and the bigger picture as we get closer to August third is the trade deadline. I've said this before. The Dodgers do not need trek skouble.
Speaker 3: But if the.
Speaker 1: Price is not going to be that high in prospect capital, of course the Dodgers are going to be in the conversation they have. They match up better with the Tigers than any other team this side of the Yankees. No other team matches up better with the Tigers to give them what they would be looking for in a Trek Scooble trade, So let's just put that right there. But with Blake Snell coming back, Tyler Glass now a little bit behind him, do the Dodgers really need a Trek Scooble by emptying out the farm system. I would prefer them to go out and get another high leverage reliever, which I don't know if they will. Their bullpen looks really good now with Scott Phillips vesia Enriquez, and you're talking about Brock Stewart against Righty's. You're going to get Blake Trinan back, and you're going to get Edwin Diaz back. So you're gonna have Diaz and Scott at the back of your bullpen.
Speaker 3: But if you got one more reliever, that would be shortening the game by a lot.
Speaker 1: And I also think the Dodgers need another catcher. They need a third catcher. We're seeing you know, Dalton rushing playing the line share of things. You don't want to run him into the ground. And look, you're hopeful Will Smith is coming back. I believe that he will come back, but you always need that insurance policy. So a catcher, another reliever would be right there with me. As far as the Trek Scooble trade talks, and I don't.
Speaker 3: Even know if the Tigers are going to trade them. Who knows what that GM is going to do. All Right, we're.
Speaker 1: Gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue, we'll be joined by one of those talented young outfielders the Dodgers have that so many want. Mike Serota, who'll be playing in the Futures Game with jose Way Depaula on Sunday in Philadelphia, will join us next right here on Dodger Talk on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 2: When you want Dodgers, the only home is AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. And it's not very often that I bring on part of the Dodger farm system on the show because I want to give them their space to develop, to grow, and I'm a big believer that they're under the microscope a little too much as they're trying to develop into big league players. But there's times when you need to celebrate these players, and that time is now because as we get closer to the All Star Game next week. The festivities begin this Sunday with the Futures Game, and two Dodger outfield prospects have been selected to participate in the game on Sunday, Hoswaye Depaula, and our guest right now from DOUBLEA Tulsa, the Tulsa Drillers, Mike Soota. Mike, thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you for having me so.
Speaker 1: Mike, this is a great honor of recognition of your season. I know it's not the All Star Game, but it's essentially the All Star Game for minor league players. So what was your reaction when you found out they wanted you to play.
Speaker 5: I was just extremely grateful for the opportunity. Not very many minor leaguers get to do this, So when I first heard the news, I was ecstatic. You know, obviously it's a huge opportunity and I'm just grateful for it.
Speaker 1: Who broke the news to you? How do you find out you're playing in the Futures Game?
Speaker 5: I actually went in my manager, Coach Wedge. I went in there and he broke the news to me and Hosway Eric.
Speaker 3: Wedge is still your manager at Tulsa. Yeah, he is.
Speaker 1: And what kind of manager is he? I mean, he's been through it. He's managed some really good teams in the major league. So what's he like as a minor league manager?
Speaker 5: You know, he's just the best. I mean, his baseball knowledge is just off the charts. I learned new things from him every day, just whether it's about on the base paths with in the batter's box. You know, it's just great to have a guy like that teaching you about the game and whatnot.
Speaker 1: Does it make a difference to your ears kind of focus a little bit more when you have a manager that managed some of the best players in the big leagues and has the experience of what it takes to not only get there, but to stay there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 5: I mean having someone like that sort of mentor me this year, it's just awesome to have.
Speaker 1: Mike Saroda is our guest. He is having a phenomenal season at Tulsa.
Speaker 3: Mike, you got to know this about me. I know the rules.
Speaker 1: I'm not bringing up any stats or anything like that, so you're safe right here.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, sounds good, but.
Speaker 1: I know you're having a great year and it's your first full season and the Dodger organization after being acquired from the Reds and that Gavin Lux trade. What's it been like to be part of this organization and how have they brought the best.
Speaker 3: Out of you?
Speaker 4: This organization is just next level.
Speaker 5: I mean the resources that you have to talk to, whether it's the staff at the affiliates or spring training, it's just next level. And the amount of information that you get and the knowledge that that these these people have, it's just next level and it's great to have.
Speaker 1: What are some of the tools that you're talking about. Is it the stuff UF that we hear about in spring training and in at Dodger Stadium as far as VR and just the information? What is it about the minor league system that helps guys develop?
Speaker 5: I think it's more so the kind of like approach based things that our hitting coaches have and the information that's relayed to us about just breaking down our approach and what we're thinking in the box and kind of like critical thinking about what we're doing up there. And that's kind of the key to I think what's helped me the most with the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: You're a great guy.
Speaker 1: To ask this question too, because you hear some of the old school players say that guys are striking out way too much. There's an over emphasis on slugging, not just putting.
Speaker 3: The ball in play.
Speaker 1: What is being taught in the organization and what's your philosophy on all that.
Speaker 5: When I'm in the batter's box, I'm really just trying to find a good pitch to hit and I'm okay with taking a strike. That's kind of my philosophy. But I mean, it varies throughout the organization with each player. I mean, the Dodgers are special because each player is very different, and not very many organizations are like that. A lot of organizations is kind of like the same archetype of player I feel like, so it's pretty unique to have an organization. It just varies between the players. But for me, I'm just looking for my pitch to hit and I'm going to do my best to not strike out.
Speaker 1: Mike Siota is our guest right now. He's in Double A Tulsa. On Sunday, he'll be playing in the Futures Game in Philadelphia. Mike, I heard that from James Tibbs in spring training. Obviously, he's been with a couple of different organizations, and he has a great perspective on what separates the Dodgers. But the one thing that really stood out to me is something that you just mentioned. How they allow you guys to be yourselves and they don't try to put you into this cookie cutter formula that doesn't fit everybody.
Speaker 4: They do a really good with that.
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously, like there are things that some of our developmental like coaches will tell us, but for the most part, they kind of they kind of let you be your own coach.
Speaker 4: If that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the best way to go, right. Do you feel like you're I know you're young and you're still developing into a big league player, but do you feel at this stage of your career you're starting to become your best hitting coach?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think that's definitely true.
Speaker 5: I mean, no one really knows your body, no one knows your mind like you do, so it's kind of up to you.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day to sort of figure that stuff out.
Speaker 1: Mike, We've heard about so many of the great outfielders the Dodgers, sabat double A, at triple A. What is the relationship between you and Depaula Zay your Hope. I mean, there's so many great young outfielders that you guys are playing together, but in some ways competing against each other. What's the dynamic there?
Speaker 5: I don't think, uh, we don't really view it much of a competition as much as we try and learn from each other. I think we all do different things really well, and we're always asking each other questions, whether it's in the outfield or in the batter's box. And it's just great to be surrounded by people like that that you can learn from, whether it's off the field stuff, on the field stuff.
Speaker 4: So it's just great.
Speaker 1: Is that your hope still bench pressing like five hundred pounds every day?
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably probably a little more than that.
Speaker 3: Who do you roommate with?
Speaker 4: Tulsa Roque Gutierrez. He's a pitcher from Mexico.
Speaker 3: And how's that going. Is he a good roommate?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's great, He's awesome. A bit of a language barrier, but we're we're getting used to it.
Speaker 1: Are you starting to learn some Spanish at least pretty good?
Speaker 3: Your Spanish is pretty good, well, not.
Speaker 4: Not amazing, but it's it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: That's great to hear. I know people don't realize.
Speaker 1: I mean, even in this day and age, you guys really have to scratch and claw to try to figure out the living situation in these minor league cities.
Speaker 5: Yeah, especially when you're moving up levels, you're kind of getting different guys and you're getting acclimated to him.
Speaker 4: So it's it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you about host Wade Depaula. You guys are going to be in Philly together. We've heard so much about him as well. What's he like as a teammate.
Speaker 5: He's very relaxed, very focused, very funny. He's a funny guy on the field. He's kind of the same guy on the field as he is off the field. Just very relaxed, focused guy, you know, knows what he needs to do, hard worker, just all the he checks all the boxes.
Speaker 1: He's very much into yoga. Have you gotten into hot yoga with him?
Speaker 4: I have not.
Speaker 5: He invited me, but I declined. Maybe next off season though.
Speaker 1: Okay sounds good. Okay, Before I let you go, Mike Sarota is our guest. He's going to be in the Futures game in Philadelphia on Sunday. How much are you going to allow yourself to take it all in, Mike, because you're going to be there before the All Stars arrived. But you're a feel the atmosphere there in Philly. When do you get to Philly? And how long are you allowed to stay in Philly? Are they kicking you out when guys like Freddie Freeman show up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they're kicking us out, honestly, but no, I'm kidding. But we leave.
Speaker 5: Saturday and then the game I believe is Sunday, right, and I think they have the hotel booked until Monday. So but in terms of the atmosphere, I really don't know what to expect from it. I've never done anything like this before, so I don't know what to prepare for. But it's definitely going to be an experience and I'm excited for it.
Speaker 1: I'm not a big leaguer, Mike, but I've been traveling with the Dodgers for the last fifteen years and the Philly cheese steaks in the visiting clubhouse is legendary. I don't know if the chef is going to be serving them up for the Futures game, but if he is, you have to try one of those Philly cheese steaks in the visiting clubhouse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm going to try for sure. It's one of my favorite foods. So just broke the news to me.
Speaker 3: All right. There you go, you and DePaul Joy.
Speaker 1: One time I was I was challenged to eat one of them in less than a minute, and I wasn't able to accomplish that feat. But maybe you can try to challenge one of your teammates.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I'll try that. Maybe Depot will get it to Paula.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do it. I could see him being able to take it down. Yeah.
Speaker 4: He's a big guy, so I've seen him meet a little bit in the clubhouse.
Speaker 1: All right, My congratulations on a great start to the year. Congratulations. I'm being selected to the Futures Game and can't wait to see you at Dodger Stadium very soon. And you know I did see you hit a home run on the backfields this spring training in one of the Double A Games. But we never met, we've never met. This is our first introduction. So great to have you on the show and look forward to meeting you in person one day.
Speaker 4: Forward to meeting you too. Thank you for having me all right.
Speaker 3: Great to have Mike Sirota on the show.
Speaker 1: Keep an eye out for how he does at the Futures Game this Sunday in Philadelphia. And speaking of the All Star Game, let's keep the theme going because we had a chance to catch up with ten time All Star Freddie Freeman, who will be making his sixth start at first base for the National League. It'll be the fifth time he is representing the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: He keeps their heads.
Speaker 1: Ringing every year, and he's making the All Star team again the tenth time in his major league career. Freddie Freeman is going to be representing the National League fifth time with the Dodgers, sixth time a starter, and rightfully so, a great ambassador for the game as well as being one of the great players this game has ever seen. Freddie, thank you for the time. Sorry for making you uncomfortable. You certainly did, but I appreciate those words. Yeah, ten times, pretty special, looking forward to it. You don't listen to the show, so I'm gonna fill you in on what I'm calling you these days. Frisky Freddie, the fountain of youth. Those legs I found it, Freddy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I feel good.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 6: Trying to stop the age curve. We got a couple of guys on our team, Max making the All Star Game at thirty five plus years old. So you know, all you can do is just try and stay healthy, keep your body in shape, and we're doing a good job of that right now.
Speaker 1: Freddie, I don't think people appreciate the fact how much pain and limitations you were playing through last year. Is this the best you've moved in a while because of the lower half being healthy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely pre surgery.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 6: Last year was a grind. You know, I was taking my ankle all the way up until probably August. Just I was in a you know, really confined to not being able to move at first base. There's just a lot of limitations I had last year. I mean, I still feel like I put out some decent numbers last year. But this year it's, you know, I can stick to my routine. I don't have to worry about getting in the training room for hours and on end just to get on the baseball field. It's definitely a freeing feeling, and you know, it's obviously showing I can stay on the field. Doc's not worrying about having to sit me and take my get off my feet and just like right now, we're in the span of thirteen games in a roun and I'm probably gonna play all thirteen. So I don't think that would have happened last year. And but yeah, probably pre sarved you. This is the bet best I felt.
Speaker 1: How long would you have to get into the training room? What time would you have to get to the stadium for a seven to ten game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'd probably have to get there at like twelve thirty and then it'd take probably two and a half hours for me to get on the field. And that was just last year when I first heard it. You guys know, I was probably in the training room for about five hours trying to get on the field in twenty twenty four playoffs.
Speaker 3: So now I.
Speaker 6: Could just kind of show up and just get myself ready for the games, which is nice. But yeah, a lot of work and a lot of thanks to the training staff, so much time and effort. I know, you guys just see me, but so much work goes behind the scenes of getting us onto the field. So Bernard Lee, Thomas Alott, there's so many guys that helped me get on the field last year and kept me on the field, so big credit to them.
Speaker 1: Freddie, speaking of gratitude, from what I saw in the video I heard yesterday, when Dave Roberts was going through the announcements of All Stars, you stopped it and said, hey, we got to thank the coaches because the coaches have helped us all get better.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that's one of the special things. Obviously, when you make it to the World Series, the coaching staff and the manager gets to be the Ulcar game manager the next year, and coaching staff. So like I just said about our training staff there. I mean, you see right now as we're doing this interview, you have Edmund is about to do Live and Blakes now, and you see seven different coaches out there working and training staff watching, and there's just so many people behind the scenes that make this engine to run.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: It really is a true team effort around here, and I just wanted to, you know, make sure we stopped and thank Doc and their staff because I know everyone comes to see the players, but there are so many people that help us get on the field and get it make us be better at this game, and just wanted to make sure we organize them as well.
Speaker 1: Freddy, you're one of those players that really stand out to me, that really embraces and understands what it means to be an All Star.
Speaker 3: You want to be there, you want to be part of everything.
Speaker 1: Where does that come from to really appreciate still at this stage of your career ten years being an All start to love it and treat it the way you did your first year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I always say, maybe it's just kind of how we came up seventeen years ago. Coming up in the big leagues is a little different than coming up now.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 6: When you get voted in by either your peers, the fans, the league, whoever votes you in, it's truly an honor and you never know when it could be your first, it could be your last, it could be you just don't know if that's the last All Star Game that you'll ever go to. So I always try and appreciate those moments. It's such hard work that goes into it to make an All Star Game, so I like to show up and be there. And it also for me, it creates memories with my family and those little things that are special because you know, unfortunately I am coming toward the end of my career. Hopefully it's a few more years down the road, but it's just those little moments and little memories that will have forever. And this game has given so much to me, so the least I can do is, you know, give it, give myself back to the game when it calls me to do so.
Speaker 1: Does Freddie Freeman allow himself to appreciate the moments more now than he did even five years ago?
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 6: It's as you get older, and I've been blessed to play this game about seventeen years now in the big leagues, and as I've gotten older, you start appreciating because you know it's going to be coming to the end.
Speaker 3: It never will Freddy stop saying that.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 6: I mean you can counted on one hand now of the years that I'm going to play left. So yeah, it's I'm trying to force myself to stop and take a second and you know, take in the little things. It's you know, like we're here in July fifth and it's an absolutely gorgeous day and you see the green grass in these seats and it's special. So you just as you get older, you take it in and realize that all the hard work that you've done since, you know, since I was four or five years old and playing and loving this game, and to be recognized as.
Speaker 3: One of the game's best.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I take it in and trying for a second, you know, realize how hard it is to do this game and to accomplish and have success, and you know, we're doing a great job so far trying to take in those little moments. I guess that's just comes with age.
Speaker 3: Freddie Freeman is our guest before I let you go.
Speaker 1: Obviously a lot of great videos of Charlie meeting the All Stars. You got the two little boys, you got your baby girl coming with you to Philadelphia. Is there any players that Charlie has latched onto that he wants to meet with? The National League All Stars? Have the little boys start to latch onto other players?
Speaker 6: So we're really into opening baseball cards now they're all three boys have their own binders. Charlie has them by teams. He came yesterday and he started getting the Dodger teams. I think obviously he loves Show Hey, so he's gonna get all the show Show Hay card signed. But I think it's Jacob Mezerowski He's really wanting to get his Jacob Mezerowski cards signed.
Speaker 3: So I'll try and.
Speaker 6: Make that wish come true in a week or so. But they're just you know, Charlie loves everything about it. He's already talking about getting all his cards signed, getting his hat signed. He's oh, he has his King Griffy Junior card and he wants because last year King Griffy signed his hat, so he wants to get his card signed this year. So those are the kind of cool things that I love. And it helps him come out of his shell, you know, like as a nine year old to be forced to go up to Satan and then say, Hi, Ken, can I please get your autograph? It's it's fun for me to see the joy in his face to have to go up and do that kind of stuff and him branch out and show his personality. So I'm gonna have a blaster in Home Run Derby because all three boys will be down there getting autographs, running around. So it's gonna be a good time.
Speaker 1: It's like the theme of Toy Story five. Stop looking at the iPad, have some social interaction.
Speaker 6: Pretty much, and it's a good force, you know, force him to get some autographs and just like yesterday he was going to just say, hey, can I have your autograph to Paul Gervais because he pulled one of Paul's cards and I said, no, you have to say hi, Paul, can I please? And he was like, no, I can just I said no, Charlie, I won't let you ask him unless you say his first name. So I just it's a little teaching thing, and make sure you look him in the eyes and you know we're making him grow as a nine year old.
Speaker 1: Freddie, thanks a lot for the time. Congratulations zom being named a starter.
Speaker 3: You deserve it.
Speaker 1: That just shows you how much the fans still love and appreciate everything you do, what you represent, and we can't wait to see you in the City of Brotherly Love.
Speaker 3: I can't wait.
Speaker 6: Thank you David very much, Thank you fans for voting for me.
Speaker 1: Freddie Freeman the epitome of a professional.
Speaker 3: It's going to be a great time for him.
Speaker 1: It's going to be a great time for his family and his kids, or at least his boys now are starting to get to the age where they'll remember these moments with dad at the All Star Game, so certainly going to be an exciting time for Freddie Freeman and everybody that's part of the Dodgers that'll be out there representing them in the National League. Dugal, all right, when we continue on Dodger Talk until eight o'clock, the man that has the magic BP arm, that is Dino Ebel, the Dodgers third base coach, will join us. Will he be throwing BP to anybody in the home run derby? We'll find out next when we continue right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 2: Never Dodger coverage morning till nine. This is AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers will be back in action tomorrow night against the Arizona Diamondbacks to close out the first half of the season, and they'll have the best third base coach in that coaching box every single night on the way to the three peete, and that is the one and only Dino Ebel. Dino, thanks a lot for the time. I always appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Oh, thank you, David.
Speaker 7: It's always great being on your show, and thank you for those props.
Speaker 8: And try to do my best every night.
Speaker 1: Hey, you learn from the best, right Joemalfatano, Mike Soshia, and now Dino Eble's the guy paying it forward.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know what they You're right.
Speaker 7: Back in the day, those guys took me the side, and you know, there was a bunch of us that wanted to learn. And now when the younger coaches are coming spring training, you know, now I'm there for them. So yeah, I'm you just passed along the experience and that's what I like doing.
Speaker 1: I can't leave Ron Rennicky out of that conversation. What's it like to have him still as a resource every day at the ballpark?
Speaker 8: Oh, it's great.
Speaker 7: You know him and I go back a long time ago ninety five. I was his first base coach in the col League when we won the col League championship, and then we were together in the Angels and now back with the Dodgers.
Speaker 8: So having him here.
Speaker 7: Daily it's always a help. We pick each other's brains, always learning. He's managed, and he's he's been through it. World Series champion as a player, coach and manager. So the more often that he's here, the better I like it.
Speaker 1: Do you feel in some ways that you carry on the legacy of guys like Ron Rennicky, Joel Malfatano, Mike Sooshia, and of course the number one godfather, Tommy la Sorda. Do you feel like you're that guy?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 8: Well, you know that's a great question.
Speaker 7: I you know, I don't think that way, but I know there's a lot of young coaches that come through, and you know, they come ask for advice, and that's what I used to do when those guys were around. So I'm just willing to give back what I was taught in this organization from day one. And Tommy was a big supporter of mine. Joel Mafatano, like you mentioned with soci and Ron, Mickey Hatcher, Alfredo Griffin, those guys were all Dodgers and you know they taught me that and uh and I just I'm here. I'm blessed to be in a position that I'm at, and I'm willing to give to continue on the legacy at third base coach.
Speaker 1: Full disclosure here, Dino Reggie Smith is top of mind because my son is attending his baseball camp this week and he was telling me stories about when he was the field coordinator with the Dodgers and you were in the minor leagues. He actually helped Mike Piazza not quit from baseball a couple of different times. Do you remember Reggie Smith when he was the field coordinator and you were in the minor leagues.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, and I was coaching and he would come in, and I was on that team with Piazza and ninety and Vero Beach. When Mike left for a few days, Reggie and Tommy came in and they brought Michael back. But absolutely, Reggie is a big supporter of mine. I love Reggie Smith. He taught me a lot. True Dodger. He taught me how the Dodger Way is and continue that Dodger Blue with Lessorda and the names we mentioned. But Reggie Smith is one of my guys that I looked to and when he comes around, I'm always talking baseball with him.
Speaker 8: So yes, I remember like it was yesterday.
Speaker 1: What a resource he is now and has been for the last twenty years. And then Sino, what was he approachable back then? I know he was a tough guy as a player, but what was he like as the hethey of the minor leagues.
Speaker 7: He definitely had presence, and we all heard the stories, and I grew up as a Dodger fan and watching them on TV. Played hard, and I remember hearing stories with Vince Scully that he went into stands and he would fight guys and he was the first one in the in the dogpile in the middle of the field when there was a fight. But you know, he changed he guys that came up with him, and when he became the field coordinator, he was on the other side. So he remembered those days as a player. That's what he taught us. To be tough every day, go out and play every day, be a Dodger, and on the other side of it, on the field coordinating and the farm director's side of it.
Speaker 8: He adjusted very well.
Speaker 7: But when he walked through those doors in the minor leagues, you knew Reggie Smith was in town to kill it.
Speaker 1: Dino Ebel, Dodger's third base coach, is our guest. You know, sometimes I wonder, as far as Andrew Friedman goes, who's the next Andrew Friedman? And then you take a step back. He's already helped train some of the best, and Matt Arnold and Eric Neander for dino Ebel is there, are there the next dino Ebles like you were the next Joe im Offatano and Ron Rennicky.
Speaker 3: Well, I hope. So.
Speaker 7: I mean there's some good coaches now in our minor league system and I see coaches now that come up and a lot of energy, a lot of signs that going on. You got to pay attention to detail, and you know the biggest thing is you know, knowing the outfields, arms and the grass, the way it's cut, does a ball snake and situation in the game. Joe Joey used to tell us the scoreboard will dictate if you're aggressive, if you're not aggressive, who's on deck, who's in the hole. Is the manager gonna pinch it? So I know all those moves before it happens. And yes, I feel like there's some upcoming coaches in our system that every time we talk baseball, we go we go on the minor league side.
Speaker 8: Myself and Ron.
Speaker 7: Rennicky there there at seven thirty morning, and a big supporter there too is John Shoemaker who's been in the orgation for many many years. He's the captain and he gets all those young managers out there to learn how to coach third base.
Speaker 1: When we talk about coaches, we automatically assume coaching players. But how important is it in spring training for Denuebel and Ron Renicky and John Schumacher to coach the coaches?
Speaker 7: Well, it's the same, you know, you just you just go out there and you be you, and you know, everybody has a different style of coaching. Everybody has a different style of playing. It's our job as coaches to recognize that what they're good at and what they need work at. So as a coach, I watch when you know, when I'm on the bench and I'm watching other third base coaches and the balls hit, I watch what they do. And then at the end of the day or after the game, when you're talking shopping in the clubhouse, you try to throw out some nuggets out there, like when the ball was hit here, what would you do here? And I saw you do this. That's where I try to help the coaches in. You know, some coaches might like it. Some coaches don't want to hear it. That's fine, as part of the part of the system is the way they want to you know, think that's fine with me. I have no ego, but the ones that do want to know. I'm all I'm all in by sharing my advice.
Speaker 1: Hey, if I'm a coach, if I'm a player, if there's one guy that I'm listening to in spring training, not only is it Dave Roberts, but it's Dino Ebel, Dodgers third base coach who has experienced coached managed a lot of games.
Speaker 3: And Dino, you're a great.
Speaker 1: Guy to ask this question too, because after games I get a lot of questions about safety squeezes and just executing that play, not just from the batter's standpoint, but also the runner at third base. The Dodgers are known first and third less than two outs. Dave Roberts loves that play. What is it about the play that is called the safety squeeze that makes it successful when the bunt isn't perfect.
Speaker 8: Well, that's a great question.
Speaker 7: And I think as a as a manager, you have to know your personnel. And when Dave and when I was with Mike Soshia, we did He was very aggressive on doing that, and I think the managers know which guys are good at it, which guys aren't. It comes there's a big part of it too, David, that who's pitching. Is he a great athlete? Does he fill this position? What kind of you know sink does he have? Is he ninety seven with nasty sink? Some manager will say it's hard to bunch, so they won't put the player in that position. But we got players on this team that Doc has a great feel for. They expect the bunt the first and third, especially if it's close in the game.
Speaker 8: It's an RBI situation. It's a sacrifice.
Speaker 7: It doesn't go against your average if you're looking at your average.
Speaker 8: It's a team at bat.
Speaker 7: That's what I like about, you know, Dave Roberts and Mike Soshi, the players that they put it on with. It's called a team at bat, and those guys know who they are.
Speaker 8: We read flag him in spring training.
Speaker 7: We practice it and as a base runner, it's an art there too, because.
Speaker 8: The timing of it. You can't go until you see the ball down.
Speaker 7: You know, again, we would like to see the ball hit the bunt to the first basement, but you know, sometimes you see the ball down, you got to go.
Speaker 8: So that's coachable. During the game.
Speaker 7: Like last night with Dalton and rushing, I was trying to get him off the base get a nice momentum. See the ball down, go Dalton, did it perfect? Now sometimes, like you said, the execution's not there.
Speaker 8: That's fine.
Speaker 7: But what happens is the next team that comes in, they put it in their advance report, and now Mickey Roe or Freeland might be a guy that comes up first and third. Dave gives them the green light to swing the bat and they get a fastball right down the middle of the plate and they hit a double on.
Speaker 8: Now it's a big inning.
Speaker 7: So that's why it's very, very high for me to use in a game with those players, because you set up other moments in a game that could happen down the road.
Speaker 1: They call it the safety squeeze because the runner at third doesn't have to go. That's a suicide squeeze. What would force the runner to go back to third base? What would precipitate that If it's.
Speaker 7: A bad bund, if it's a hard bunt back to the pitcher, the guy on third base has enough time to slam on the brakes and get back. There's not too many pitchers in the league. We'll catch a ball check the third and throw it at third because they want to get the out. They got to get it out. So yeah, if it's a hard bun now last night's bun, and previously that when we were thrown out the play, it's a good bunt last night. You know, starting pitcher got off the mound great. So you got to give them credit once in a while that they make a good play. But usually when it's a bad one balls in the air, you come back too. If it's a hard bump back to the picture, you can read it, come back and then they throw it first. We got second and third, still two outside runners in scoring position.
Speaker 3: On the flip side.
Speaker 1: Miguel Rojas told me that if you do bunt it to first base, it's almost impossible to defend. But I remember, you know, when you were with the Angels, Adrian Gonzalez and Carlos Pane of the Rays were the two best first basemen to crash and spoil that play. What does it take to spoil it?
Speaker 7: It's the crash of the timing. When the pitcher and the first basemen are on time. The first baseman will leave early and the pitcher throws to the plate. So the batter, I mean, the runner at first base can't steal second. Now back in the day when I was in the minor league system, we ran a play where the first baseman would charge one hard step in and go back and we'd run a pick play if we knew the suit the safety weez is on.
Speaker 8: Now that puts it in his head that they might do it again.
Speaker 7: The first baseman now charges, the guy doesn't steal second, he bunts the ball. We got the first basement in his face and we get the out of the plate. So there's ways to defend it. But that is, like Rojas said, that is like a very very hard, difficult play to defend if it's run correctly.
Speaker 3: Do you remember those two guys doing it really well?
Speaker 8: And Rizzo with the Cubs would charge in two.
Speaker 7: Those three guys were outstanding at it, and you have to practice it. That's where you're to get the team in spring training. Back then there was more lot of small ball play with Bunny and squeeze, suicide hit and runs.
Speaker 8: Today's game is the long ball to slug.
Speaker 7: But yes, the players that you identify that are those guys.
Speaker 8: We got to practice that play where we can try to.
Speaker 7: Get that first basement off the bag cheat and if he has a hard bunt to first base.
Speaker 8: We got to play it to play.
Speaker 1: Class is in session with Dino Ebel. It's an exciting time for the Ebel family again. Not only is Dino going to be on Dave Roberts' coaching staff for the National League, but also his younger son, Trey Ebel, is eligible for the amateur draft coming up this weekend. Trey, his stock has risen coming out of Corona. He's a first round pick. How exciting again is this, Dina?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's great again. It's Trey.
Speaker 7: I call him Trey Way, and it's Trey Way's Day. And we're don't have the family there this year. I don't have to miss a game. Last year we were with in San Francisco. But it starts early Saturday morning, ten thirty, So hopefully his name's called early and then I can get back in a car and be here for that game that night. But yeah, Trey's excited. He's worked extremely hard. He watched his brother go through it last year, and I can't wait till Saturday and see the journey that he has. And again he's committed to Texas A and M, so he's in a good spot no matter what happens.
Speaker 1: Oh well, Dina's one of the best scouts out there too. So if you had to give us a scout and report on Trey way Ebel, what would it be.
Speaker 8: Well plus defender, plus arm. He's got back to ball skills.
Speaker 7: He doesn't swing and miss, he controls his own. The strength now is starting to add up. He's seventeen and a half years old. He's got some serious thunder. He got with you know, Bryce Terrang, this personal trainer, Keith Corey from Corona, and he's extremely just explosive. Now he's changed his career in the last four to five months. And yeah, I again take the dad out of it. I'm just a coach here. He's going to be an exciting player to watch and one day you'll see him playing in the major leagues.
Speaker 1: How much was Bratty's experience helpful to him and what to expect this time around on Saturday.
Speaker 7: Really really helpful and it helped Trey, And Trey admits it that, you know, the lights came on when he went through it last year with his brother and saw how the process when he was in the room when Joel Wolf, you know, his agent was calling a Keith Brady updated on the picks, and I brought Trey in there thinking maybe next year he's going to go through this, so I wanted him to get that experience. And now he's excited. He's starting to get a little anxious. You know, it's kind of like the dead period. I know it's Saturday, but it seems like it's a month away. But yeah, he's he's ready to go. He's ready to make that next step if he does decide, he gets drapped signs and go start his career.
Speaker 3: Hey, random question for you.
Speaker 1: I was listening to XEM Baseball channel and they were saying that the Pirates and the Rockies have the most pool money in the draft, and the Rockies with Kyle Carros already on their team, have three picks in the first thirty five. So maybe he joins Eric Carros's son.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that would be pretty cool.
Speaker 7: I mean, e Ka and I came up together in the minor leagues. We were on the same team.
Speaker 8: Together, and we see each other here daily.
Speaker 7: So yeah, you know what, it's great to see the young kids when you see them when they're just growing up. Like you know, you look out there in the outfield and you see Mickey Rose son and Freddie Freeman's son, and you know those guys one day are gonna get the chance to play in a big league field.
Speaker 8: So they're born in the game.
Speaker 7: They've learned from the best of the best. To this day, there's no ego with Dino Evil. I said, the best coaches for my two sons were the players, because they're in the cage. They take grounders with them. They're with them constantly when they're here, so they're always picking the players' brains and they're learning from the elite players.
Speaker 1: Deno Ebel's been very gracious with his time. I got to ask you this, Dino. Last year. You were throwing to Kyle Schwarber in the swing off of last year's home Run Derby. No Dodgers are going to participate this year, so everybody knows you're the best BP thrower out there for the home run Derby. If a player on another team asked you to throw to them, would you be open to that now that no Dodgers are participating.
Speaker 7: I'm always I've always said long as there's if somebody ever asked me on another team wanted me to throw and there was nobody on my team, which is the Dodgers that are not participating. Like you said, I'm in because I'm there. I think one, it's a challenge for me personally to face a guy that you know you don't throw to very often.
Speaker 8: I got a chance to throw to swarbur in a WBC.
Speaker 7: So if anybody calls and, uh, you know, they want me to throw for them on Monday night in Philadelphia, I'll be there waiting for him.
Speaker 3: Hey, I never thought about that.
Speaker 1: Some of these guys from other teams got a taste of the Dino Ebel BP in the World Baseball Classics, so they know what it's all about.
Speaker 8: Absolutely.
Speaker 7: So if one of those guys call, then I'll let you. You'll be the first to know, David. Whoever calls, you'll be the first to announce it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love it.
Speaker 1: Dino Ebel has been our guest. He'll be in the coaches box for Dave Roberts in Philadelphia. He'll be in the draft room in the Ebel House and Rancho Cucamonga on Saturday. Now, do you get cell reception at your house?
Speaker 7: Dono in Rancho knew you were gonna come up with something like that.
Speaker 8: We do, David.
Speaker 7: It's only forty three miles from your it's a great town or city of Rancho. And uh yeah we do get TV, we get sales service, so all good.
Speaker 8: Yeah we're gonna be We're gonna be in the draft rope.
Speaker 3: All right. Well, if you need to come to civilization, let me know.
Speaker 8: I will you get on me all the time about Rancho, and I love It's all good.
Speaker 1: Hey, Dino, we love you. The Dodgers are very lucky to have you back in the organization. I know how much Dave Roberts values what you do in that third base third base coaches box, because that's the hot box. There's no yellow light. As you always tell me, it's red or green.
Speaker 7: That's right, there's no no yellow. It's always red or green. And you know you have to have thick skin, David. I told you this many many years ago. We're like umpires. When a mumpire makes a bad call or makes the wrong call at the bases, they're getting booed.
Speaker 8: And the same as a third base coach.
Speaker 7: If you know we're not perfect, you send a guy, they make a good throw, he's out. They're gonna boot me, which that's perfectly fine.
Speaker 8: I'll take the heat and.
Speaker 7: I'm good to go on the next place, so always ready to score another another run when the chances are there.
Speaker 1: You're doing something right, Dino, because you're highly regarded in this game. And congratulations to Treble and also Brady who's having a great start to his professional career with the Brewers. And obviously Dad had a lot to do with that. So thank you for the time. And it's great to have a real Dodger you and Dave Roberts part of this coaching staff.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much.
Speaker 7: Dave always appreciate you, and I always listen to your show. You do a great job going home at night, and I listen to our fans, So I'm asking the fans keep bringing those hard questions to David Bassay, He'll give you the straight answer.
Speaker 8: I love it.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's a long drive back to Rancho. He listens to the whole show.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I pull in the driveway and the show's not even over with yet, so it's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Thanks Tino. I have a great weekend.
Speaker 1: I know it's exciting for you the family, and we look forward to seeing you in Philadelphia.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: There he is back to back World Series champion third base coach Dino Ebel, who is obviously in an exciting time for himself, his family, especially his son Trey Eble, who is going to be drafted on Saturday morning before he gets to the stadium. So congratulations to Trey Ebel. And Brady Ebel, who was drafted by the Brewers last year, is just raking in his first professional season. So they had the DNA, the pedigree, and obviously the Baseball IQ. And yeah, Trey Ebel is going to be drafted in the first thirty five picks of Saturday's drafts, So congratulations to Trey Ebel. And you never know whether or not Dino will be throwing BP in the home run derby to somebody that is not wearing a Dodger uniform if he gets asked. As he said, he has gotten clearance from the Dodger players and for manager Dave Roberts that he's okay to throw BP to a guy on another team for the home run derby. All right, that'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Thanks for joining us on this off night. We'll be back with you tomorrow night as the Dodgers close out the pre All Star Break schedule. Against the Arizona Diamondbacks. Our coverage begins at six o'clock. First pitch at seven ten show, Hey Otani, We'll be on the.
Speaker 3: Mound for the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: So an exciting way to start the final weekend before the All Star break with Otani on the mound. I'll be on Sports Net LA all weekend with Joe Davis and Eric Harrows and Steven Nelson. Tim Cats will be handled link Dodger Talk through the final weekend of the series against the Diamondbacks. Thanks to Ronnie Focio for all his help as always, even though he's not with us in Burbank. Thank you to my guy Dwayne McDonald for all the help every single night wherever we are in any ballpark near you.
Speaker 3: All Right, Fox Sports Radio is next.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to you tomorrow night from Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: See them another perfect day.
Speaker 2: When you want Dodgers, the only home is AM five seven e LA Sports