Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. We're going to running back to.
Speaker 3: Get in on the show called eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 2: Thing welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vase with you on Dodger Talk until the bottom of the hour. At eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. The Dodgers beat the Athletics nine to three, and of course the celebration is for Dave Roberts, who wins his one thousandth career game as the manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers. He's managed eleven years, all with the Dodgers, and he reaches a thousand wins faster than any manager in modern baseball history. Sixteen hundred and six games, Dave Roberts reaches a thousand wins. So congratulations to Dave Roberts. And like I mentioned at the end, of the clubhouse show. It was great to see the sellout crowd of mostly Dodger fans celebrate Dave. And maybe one of the silver linings of the Dodgers playing the A's in that minor league temporary ballpark is the fact that the clubhouse is beyond center field. So Dave Roberts, after doing the postgame interview with Kirsten Watson, walked straight to the Dodger Clubhouse, a long walk from in front of the Dodger Dugout all the way out to beyond center field. And that's a good reason because he was celebrated every step of the way back to the clubhouse as a one thousand game winner as a major league managers. A really special night for Dave Roberts. And and look, I've been there since day one. I've hosted Dodger Talk for the last fifteen years. And you can't hide from me. Okay, you could say whatever you want on Twitter. You can say, oh, you know I was wrong about Dave Roberts. Well you know what I have to say to you, better late than ever, but I will say this, And Max Monthly said this after the game last night. Next month, He's been here since twenty eighteen and currently is the longest active player playing for Dave Roberts right now active current active key K is on the IL. He's not active right now. Max Monsey I thought was really honest and candid as always that Max Monsey has grown since twenty eighteen as a player. Dave Roberts has helped him grow as a player since twenty eighteen. But you have to concede that Dave Roberts has grown with this job. Who he was on April fourth, twenty sixteen is not who he is as a manager right now, which is a good thing. You don't want to stay the same when you're in the same job for eleven years. There's been a lot of great players thanks to Andrew Friedman, that have been in his lineup, have been in his rotation, have been in his bullpen. But the reality is Andrew Friedman is not in the dugout and he's not in the clubhouse. Dave Roberts has to manage all of those players different personalities, different to personal goals to try to get them on the same page with the Dodgers' vision. And I you know, he never managed before, he never managed in the minor leagues. He was a coach with the Padres, but he had never managed before getting the job with the Dodgers, and the collaboration between him and Andrew Friedman has been one of the all time great partnerships in Major League Baseball history. When you say Dave Roberts, you can't not say Andrew Friedman. When you say Andrew Friedman, you can't not say Dave Roberts. And I think Dave understands that. He acknowledged that, and at some point you have to acknowledge it better late than ever. All it took was this guy to win three World Series championships, went back to back championships, and now one thousand games in his managerial career. Is he perfect? No, But I really do believe this. Going back to twenty twenty three, Dave Roberts has grown exponentially as a manager, and I feel like he has become one of the best managers in baseball since twenty twenty three on an elite level. And twenty twenty three the Dodgers did not have as much talent as they have right now. I'm not even starting with twenty twenty four. I'm not even starting with twenty twenty or twenty twenty two. What Dave Roberts has done in the postseason in the last two years is what a veteran experienced manager does when he believes in certain players, doesn't go by whatever metrics he's seeing on the iPad in real time. He believes in the heartbeat, and that's what he said many times. But to say that Dave Roberts is the same manager that he was in twenty sixteen would not be a compliment to him, and I think we can all agree on that. And I'll just say this, I have felt in the last year, maybe year and a half, that you have finally conceded this guy is the right guy for the job. It's taken eleven years, it's taken back to back World Series championships and now one thousand wins. But these group of players, I think have as much appreciation for Dave Roberts than I've seen any team have appreciation for him. And I think we've seen that the last couple of years. Let's head back to Sacramento because we do have two phone lines open, and I do want to hear from you and the celebration you have for Dave Roberts. But let's head inside the Dodger Clubhouse on Sports and at LA, where Dave Roberts was toasting his players.
Speaker 4: First off, Robo, you pitched your ass off. Fantastic job. That was fun to watch. I'll tell you guys this, and then you know, I played ten years in the big leagues. I didn't get the hits that he got, Homers, he got the hits that these guys got. I wasn't a player that any of you guys were. But I'll tell you what is. I really try to be a good teammate. And now managing you guys and all the guys that have been a part of this, there is nothing more satisfying. I told Kyle today, I get to watch you play baseball today, and I swear to God I mean that about every single.
Speaker 2: One of you guys.
Speaker 4: And so for a thousand wins, it's not about the wins. It's not and I and for me, it's just like continuing to have you guys believe in each other.
Speaker 2: Have you guys believe in me? The coach is the.
Speaker 4: Front office because obviously you guys know I didn't go out there and play for you guys. I didn't pitch for you guys.
Speaker 2: I just support you guys.
Speaker 4: The coach is supporting, the training staff, the front office, and so for me, this is a team accomplishment. And it's not even just the guys in this room. It's so many players from eleven years ago. There's guys that people bringing my attention. I've never heard of these guys, but I guess they played for him.
Speaker 2: So that's just kind of what we do with the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: There's guys that are here and right, and I am getting old. I'm getting old, But you know what I'll tell you guys, man, from my first day when I had butterflies and I was nervous and the game was speeding up on me, to now where I can just sit back and have the hands off the wheel and just let you guys be yourselves and play good quality baseball. That's the biggest joy for me, and that's the biggest accomplishment. So I know it's one thousand wins for me. I can't thank you guys enough for doing this, Alex your staff, but I honestly, honestly for you guys, the coaches, the front office, gomers rough, the front office, all the players that played for me for eleven years. I raise a class to every single one of you, guys, and thank you so much for making me a great coach. And but I always tell our coaches what makes a great coacher manager great players. So cheers to you, guys, cheers raising glass.
Speaker 1: What's that, oh Champagne?
Speaker 2: I wanted? This is Sequila Chaser. All right, Chepee, here we go. Cheers, guys. All right. Dave Roberts with the speech post game after winning is one thousandth game as a major league manager. And I'll just name off a few of the great players he had. Corey Seger, Cody Bellinger, Justin Turner, Clayton Kershaw, just to name a few. Will Smith we all know, right, Keith A Hernandez we all know. So you think back to some of the great role players that were unexpected that helped the Dodgers win during Dave Roberts's tenure. Guys like Charlie Colberson, right, Guys like that that, Yes, Monti Grandal gets lost in the shuffle, Austin Barnes gets lost in the shuffle. He's had a lot of great players. But I love what he said right there. He has learned how to just take his hands off the wheel and allow the game to take care of itself with great players. And that's sometimes the greatest thing a manager can do is not get in the way, especially when you have a Ferrari like this. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the phones for the first time in Torrance. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: How you doing, Mark, I'm doing great, David. First, I'm very serious when I want to thank you for your comments about Dave Roberts, and I wanted to share my own personal experience that when he was playing for the Dodgers, I was so impressed with him, and then one day I heard that he had been traded. I thought, oh my.
Speaker 7: God, what have they done?
Speaker 6: This guy is a great player, and then he ends up back as a manager, and I was so happy. And to hear all the comments from him and from you and the staff, it is just wonderful.
Speaker 2: All right, Mark, I love that phone call. Yeah, Dave Roberts was a positive player when he played for the Dodgers. He was a good teammate and obviously that DNA. Those characteristics have helped him be a manager, a successful manager for eleven years, and the one thing that I'll always remember when it comes to covering Dave Roberts is how he always expressed how we all should have gratitude being around the Dodgers, working for the Dodgers if you do, and also playing for the Dodgers or managing the Dodgers. And I think that's one thing, you know, I feel like I've had in my life is gratitude, but I've never put it that way, and having gratitude every day is certainly something special in every walk of life. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello. Modello the mark of a fighter. Let's go out to Joe, who is in Sacramento. You saw a big time Dodger milestone tonight.
Speaker 8: Joe, it feels incredible a day. First of all, longtime listener, first time caller. I'm living my best life Dodger wise, you know, living in like the glory years of the eighties and now getting to see it for myself. I know, the Dodgers playing in center feels great because you have a huge Dodger community out here and you get to see him so close, get to see with my wife had a foul ball and must take my head off, so it was a great game on top of us winning, and then you're one hundred percent right me A bunch of other people. We all questioned Dave Roberts at different times, and now we're at the point it's I neat humble pie. Better late than never, and it's time to trust with the Doc is cooking up. So thanks so much for what you do. But it was beautiful to see Dave win it. One thousands win. He deserves it both as a player and as a manager. And yeah, it was a great night at baseball, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Joe, thanks a lot for the phone call. I love hearing that. I love hearing what the Doc is cooking. You've got to swallow it now, Joe, glad to do so, all right, thanks for the phone call. Get home safe. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the A's nine to three. Dave Roberts wins his one thousandth managerial game as the Dodgers are able to get it for him in Sacramento, and he will be celebrated, no doubt before Thursday night's game when the Dodgers return home. And how about the Dodgers on this road trip, a nine game road trip. It seems like they never have a day off. It seems like they never get a day game because every visiting ballpark wants the biggest show in baseball in prime time, and Sacramento's no different. That's going to be a getaway day night game. Six forty. The Dodgers sweep the Twins in Minneapolis. They lose the first game to Walker Bueller and the Padres, then come back in a big way, resounding fashion to beat the Padres the final two games of that series, and now come to Sacramento with a young, upstart Sacramento A's team and beat them in the first two games of this series. They now have fifty six wins, baseball's best record, Dave Roberts has his one thousand wins, and the Padres lost again tonight. They lost nine to seven to the Cubs at Wrigley Field. So the Dodgers have a twelve game in the NL West and the Pandres are coming to town for a four game series. I'm not sure they're going to show up. Let's go out to Chino. Robert, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Robert, I'm greating yourself. How can it be bad, Robert when you're hosting Dodger Talk in twenty twenty.
Speaker 9: Six, right, I just finished up bowling Moviies second or you know, for his favorite hobbies, so you know, good night for me too as well. So I just want to talk about the Shark Roubuski and how he's you know, proving himself over and over and over again, and how he's just you know, shutting teams down. We needed, we needed the length today because tomorrow is a bullpen game. So he's just been showing improving what he is worth. And yes, the nickname is the Shark, so shout out to the Shark.
Speaker 5: Great white, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it, Robert, Hey, great point as well. The Dodgers are not going to have oti you start tomorrow. They're gonna give him a couple of extra days of rest managing that left knee. And it is a bullpen game tomorrow, so Robleski throwing one hundred and ten pitches and going seven innings is huge for the workload of that bullpen. So yeah, on top of him doing what he did tonight, he does what he's done all year long and save the bullpen. And with a bullpen game tomorrow. That's an even that's two wins within one tonight for the Dodgers. Let's go out to Frank and Monrovia. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 10: Frank, Hey, Dave, good to hear from you. You know a couple of things right now. I just want to really get out there. The first to one is that the shark. He is Jaws. He just creeps up on you and you know what, all of a sudden can wins.
Speaker 11: You know, he went the distance.
Speaker 10: He's looking strong. He is in prime, you know, in prime position right now to look like a number one at midseason. He is really that great. I'm not gonna take it away from show. Hey, he needs his rest, but with Uski, you're looking an amazing kid. Secondly, Roberts, the one thousand wins. You know, no, but we talk about how much he's done for the Dodgers, But David, Dave Roberts has done so much for the game. He has gone out there, he's been an ambassador for the game. He's talked about speaking with people across the globe about how the game has grown. The number of players that have come internationally from Japan from South America. You know, that's been a big deal, and he's treated every single one of them with professionalism, and he's carried, helped to carry that identity throughout all of baseball, and it's brought so much notoriety.
Speaker 11: To the game.
Speaker 10: You know, I listened to Mookie talk about him earlier, you know, showing that fatherly love to guys, you know, Max Muntzy talking about being a mentor. He's just been so many things to so many people, and you know, guys like Walter Alston and Tommy Lesora would be proud he's carrying that tradition right now and he's right up there with them. And then finally to the teams of the Team of Venezuela, the WBC winners, we love you, We're thinking of you, guys. Thanks a lot, David.
Speaker 2: All right, Frank Well said, and I'm glad you said all that, because managing the Dodgers is a lot different than managing the Saint Louis Cardinals or even the San Diego Padres, and certainly a lot different than managing the Sacramento Athletics. What Dave Roberts has done over the course of the last eleven years. Is being ambassador, is be the face of the team when guys didn't want to be the face of the team good and bad. He was out there in the forefront when things were not going right with certain players or certain moments. He has to face the media every day and he does it with a smile. He does it with class and dignity no matter what the circumstances are. And I've said this over the years for those that got on Dave Roberts. His job does not start at seven to ten at Dodgers Stadium. His job starts well before that. Not only does he have to manage in the dugout for nine innings, but he's managing the players in the clubhouse. He's managing his relationship with the front office, not just Andrew Freeman and Brandon Gomes, but also the other R and D members of their front office staff. That gives a lot of information that he has to filter to his players. He has to manage his relationship with his coaching staff. He has to manage relationships with the Dodgers worldwide sponsors. Minutes before first pitch is thrown out. He has to manage his relationship with the Los Angeles media with the national media. There's a lot that goes into managing the Dodgers, more than just managing nine innings, and I hope you understand that a little better. And with all that being said, he has five National League pennants, he has led the Dodgers to three championships, and he now has one thousand wins in his managerial career, faster than any other manager in baseball history. You got to give this guy some benefit of the doubt. You got to give this guy a little bit of credit. Even if you were one of his detractors. You've got to give him some credit. And look, I am with you. He has had great players, he has had the best front office to work with, with the best information. But he is part of that machine. There's other managers that would not be able to handle everything that comes managing the Dodgers. And that's why it's more than just a thousand wins. It's more than just back to back championships. There's so much more that he has to juggle on a day to day basis that I'm not sure even some of his peers appreciate. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number let's go out to Santa Barb. John, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: How you doing, John, Hey, Dave, good to hear your voice, buddy. And I just want to say right now, this is a huge moment for the Dodgers, and not just Dave Roberts. But let's talk about Dave Roberts, Okay, because this is a big deal. He is on track to be in the greatest baseball coach ever, manager, whatever the word you want to use, you know what I mean. The guy is just a yeah manager. Okay, Sorry, I spoke myself, but.
Speaker 2: No problem what I want to use.
Speaker 5: Maybe I'm a little worked, Maybe I'm a little work about Dave Roberts, because okay, listen, Okay, this whole thing started, this new era of the Dodgers started with the Goggenheim Group and they brought in some big players, but it was really the turning point was Dave Roberts. Okay, once he came along, everything changed and everything got better, and I mean everything from the top of the institute, from the ownership to Mark Walter, everybody. The whole thing just really took off and it's not even close to being over. Okay, this is only halfway in the season right now, and just look where they are, twelve game lead, they they're on the verge. Well, they're on their way to a three p Okay, I'll say that right now. I don't have any problem with that. The Dodgers are changing baseball and Dave Roberts is driving the car. Okay.
Speaker 2: Hey, he's already separated himself, John, from other managers because not many have won back to back championships. So right there, in itself, he is in rarefied air as a manager, and so is every player on the last two years of Dodger teams. And if they do three pete, then he's on the Joe Tory level of managers that nobody can ever take away from him. Thanks for the phone call, John, appreciate it. Eight sixty six, nine eightsv in two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers beat the A's tonight in Sacramento nine to three, the final scorer behind a great performance from Justin Robleski. Tommy Edman. I said this with Jose Mota, and I'll stand firm with this. Tommy Edmund finally healthy. We got a glimpse of what healthy. Tommy Edman can do in twenty four and he wasn't even one hundred percent like he is right now. Tommy Edman is quickly becoming one of my favorite players to watch. Obviously, Otani must see TV. Freddie Freeman one of my favorites to watch play because he is such a student of the game. But Tommy Edmund to me, is right behind them, and he is He is playing both sides. I'm not gonna say both sides of the ball. I hate when people say that. But he's playing offense and defense in a great way for the Dodgers at second base, in left field and tonight at third base. Four hits, four RBIs, including a three run home run, and he played exceptional defense tonight at third base. So Tommy Edman for me, is quickly becoming one of my favorite players to watch. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back, more of your phone calls eight sixty six nine, eight seven, two, five seventy. We're gonna go to the top of the hour. We're going to the top of the hour tonight after the Dodgers get Dave Roberts his one thousandth career win, beating the As nine to three, and also on the other side. We'll let you hear part of my conversation with Justin Robleski the day after Pedro Martinez coined him the Shark. You want to hear what Robleski thinks, don't go anywhere. Only place you can hear what Robleski thinks about the Shark nickname Dodger Talk until eleven o'clock right here on A five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 11: On air at AM.
Speaker 3: Five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available my podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger tom with David.
Speaker 2: Beast said, unners off, first and second.
Speaker 1: Tommy Edmund, hitting right handed.
Speaker 12: Swingson, hits the ball well the center field, going back on his bolts, still going back.
Speaker 2: He looks up.
Speaker 1: It's gone off the batter's eye. A home run for Tommy Edmund.
Speaker 2: His first of the season. It's a three run shot, Amma, Dodgers now lead at five to one. Tommy Tanks his second longest home run in his career tonight. That blew the game open to five to one. Blew the game open because of the way Justin Robleski was pitching tonight as he went seven strong innings with a career high eleven strikeouts. Tommy Edmond four hits, four RBIs, including that three run home run in the inning with two outs. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card, visit AM five to seventy lasports dot com. Use the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. The Dodgers beat the A's tonight nine to three. They have the most wins in baseball with fifty six. They have the largest Division lead in baseball, a twelve game lead over the San Diego Padres, who will be in town starting Thursday night for a four game series. I'm gonna let you hear from Justin Robleski in a moment, but we still want to celebrate Dave Roberts, considering he got his one thousandth career win as the manager, his major league managing career eleven years all with the Dodgers. Let's go out to Rob in Manhattan Beach. You're on Dodger Talk, how you doing, Rob.
Speaker 11: I tell you, I really think your words were well chosen. I was always a Dusty Basker fan, but I'm glad to see that our dear manager is now in the pantheon with Joe Torre's and Tommy Lesorda. But here I got two questions for you. First, do you have a side hustle as a toastmaster at weddings and birthday because I'd love you to attend one of mine. And Second, what that Rob, There's gotta be there's got to be a shout out for the Oakland A's. I tell you I had a birthday party there and there were only thirty five hundred people in the stadium. Its chief Nicketts. But finally, finally, the Oakland A's have found a part that they can sell out. And what better way to do it than have the Dodgers come and do it for them. They should be going up to Sacramento more often and watch the fireflies instead of the fireworks.
Speaker 2: Hey, I got news for your Rob. If the A's actually ever do move to Las Vegas. If that place is thirty five thousand, I'm sure thirty thousand will be Dodger in Las Vegas. So I don't think it's gonna stop in Sacramento no matter where the a's go.
Speaker 11: Word to the wise, you should be an economist.
Speaker 2: An economist and a wedding toast. That should be my side house. So I like that, Rob. I love weddings. A lot of people believe I'm like a wedding crasher at their parties, so that would fit. Thanks, Rob. I appreciate the phone call. Yeah, maybe that is a side hustle. You know, you never know. Let's go out to my guy, Ira Craig in Long Beach. Craig, I know you've been a longtime Dodger fan, so you've seen a lot. Are you gonna put Dave Roberts in the same conversation with Tommy lesworda.
Speaker 7: Absolutely absolutely. Let me tell you what, dad, I've seen. My first game was on my birthday in nineteen seventy six, so Ju seventh, nineteen seventy six. The Dodgers played the Phillies and the Dodgers won. It was ten to nine. Richie Allen hit a grand slam, Greg Mazinski hit all run, Mike Schmid. I remember it was just a really cool experience with my dad, who's now gone, but it was really cool. And so I've seen Walter Dralston, I've seen Tom Newstorida, I see Bill Russell, I've seen Joe Tory, I see Don Maddingly, and I've seen Dave Roberts. If I'm missing one there.
Speaker 2: Jim Tracy, Davey Johnson Hoff.
Speaker 7: Yeah you're right, I'm sorry. Yeah, quite for you, actually quite if you. But see those guys. Those guys weren't I'll put you. But you know what I like about Dave Roberts. He's he's a likable guy. He's a he's a he seems like a guy that you can approach and hang out with. And I've seen that him once and he was very amicable with me.
Speaker 2: You knowsador he gets it because he he does want to be the ambassador for the Dodgers and for the game, so he does care about it. Thanks for the phone call, Craig, I didn't know you were that old man you saw Walter Alston. Let's take another phone call that wants to celebrate Dave Roberts. Marshall, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Marshall?
Speaker 13: Hey, Dave doing great, doing great.
Speaker 2: Happy to hear you. Were you at Dave Roberts. Were you a Dave Roberts detractor or were you always on board with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 13: Never a detractor, always on board. It's hard listening to the show and people call.
Speaker 14: In to get on him because, I mean you you have an even keel about it too. This is a baseball is a long view game, and it's really great to hear you mentioned, like Jim Tracy and Glenn Hoffman, because it puts us all into the perspective of what we're looking at here right Like we're back in Dodgers Baseball, Walter Alston time and lessorda Dave Roberts territory, and it's I think important for us to take a step back every once in a while and soak in the arc of what we're experiencing because it's a great, great time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you look back at Dave's eleven years, there were times where it was tenuous. But Andrew Friedman and Stan Casten are big believers and continuity. I mean, Stan Casten was in Atlanta with Bobby Cox for twenty years. I'm sure things weren't always perfect with Bobby Cox, so you know, there is a lot to be said about continuity between the GM, the front office and the manager, and that's what the Dodgers had with Tommy Lasorda and Walter Ralston and Al campanis.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and it's even more. I think that partnership is most special, especially in this modern era of baseball with players moving around as much as they do. The front office does an amazing job of finding the right guys and bringing guys onto this team, and it had amazing success doing that, but lots of teams do that. The Dodgers are not unique in that respect.
Speaker 2: You got to give a toast as Freedman too, because nobody counts the wins he's had since he took over in twenty fifteen. So you know, when you're toasting Dave Roberts, you better toast Andrew Friedman too.
Speaker 13: Absolutely, And that's really why I was calling in. There's a partnership here that works better than the partnership between the manager and the front office with every other ball club in the league. The Dodgers have it right. They've got just the right recipe and Doc does an amazing job of bringing in really great players from other teams and making it work in our clubhouse. And it works better here than anywhere else. And we're seeing this back to back wins, one hundred wins seasons, just really golden era of Dodger baseball thanks to that partnership.
Speaker 7: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: All right, Marshall, thank you for the phone call. I've said this before and I'll say it again. There are marriages in LA that don't last eleven years like Dave Roberts and Andrew Freeman have. And look, I remember covering the Lakers, and all we heard about is how great does Zen Master Filled Jackson was and managing egos Shaq Kobe, Well, he didn't do a great job with those two, and he kind of alienated himself from Kobe the first time around. They made up and Kobe knew that it would be best for him to come back. But when you talk about managing egos and superstars, who's done that in baseball more and better than Dave Roberts. You talk about Freddie Freeman, you talk about Mookie Betts. You have sho hal Tani, the biggest star on the planet, a transcendent figure. You've had Kershaw who was stubborn at times, You've had, you know, go down the list. You want to go back to Adrian Gonzalez. You want to go with key A Hernandez, who is a different personality. You got Corey Seeger, who was a different personality who in baseball in the last twenty years as a manager has handled such a wide variety of personalities, not to mention guys Quigue and Bower. For a short amount of time, Dave Roberts had to manage all those guys. Eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Santa Anna. Adrian, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Adrian, I'm doing well, Dave, how are you hey? Like I said, you know, Dave Roberts, Andrew Freeman, Freddie Freeman, Miguel Rojas, all these Dodger players have made my life really a dream come true. I'll tell you that. I sometimes pinch myself and say, you know, one day this is not going to be the way it is with Dodger baseball. But right now, let's just enjoy it.
Speaker 12: You know, I lived to the Dodgers in the nineties. I feel what you're saying. By the way, we get the joy of having a happy you at the end of every game with Dave Roberts, you know, but I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon and give his praise. We were watching the Mexico game with our my sports at La app open watching the Dodger game, and so we were like going back and forth. But a lot of my friends and a lot of Dodgers people, I know, we're saying, how fitting would that be if the Dodgers kind of let the A's win a couple of games so that Dave Roberts had a chance to win against San Diego. And I said, that's not what Dave would ever do. Dave preaches we over me, and there's no way he would let the Dodgers blow a game. And there's no way the Dodgers would blow a game. I think it's so fitting that he's like, let's just win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think they're putting any games. I don't care. I don't care where it is. But here's one thing, you know, The Padres passed on Dave Roberts to be their manager, which opened the door for Dave Roberts to interview and eventually get hired by the Dodgers. Just because Dave Roberts didn't win his one thousandth career game playing against the Padres doesn't mean their face is not going to be rubbed in it when the Padres get to Dodgers State on Thursday and they have to sit through that video montage of Dave's career managing the Dodgers and beating the Padres all but one year since he's been here. Of course, the Padres beat the Dodgers in the twenty two playoffs, but outside of that, it's been Dave Roberts Dodgers domination.
Speaker 12: Quick question before I hang up, what is the Dodgers record against the Padres with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 2: I have to look that up, but it's significant, especially in the beginning. The Padres were not very good in twenty fifteen, and he's taken on a lot of their managers. A lot of managers have tried to get physical with Dave Roberts and he spot them off.
Speaker 12: You can't mess with our skip from.
Speaker 2: Andy Green to Mike Shilt, I mean, come on, Dave Roberts has taken on all comers. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number of the Dodgers beat the A's tonight nine to three. Behind another outstanding performance from Justin rowe Bleski, who went seven innings tonight, had a career high eleven strikeouts and going back to his last start in Minnesota against the Twins, it prompted Pedro Martinez to tweet out that Justin Robleski is a is a shark amongst great whites in the Dodger rotation. And the day after Pedro Martinez tweeted that out, the entire Dodger clubhouse sought and they were all starting to latch on to that nickname for Robleski, and tonight you saw the shark fins come out in the dugout. So here's what Justin Robleski's reaction was. Less than twenty four hours after Pedro Martinez gave him that nickname the Shark? Can I run with that nickname? What did you think that a Hall of Famer like Pedro is giving you the nickname the Shark?
Speaker 15: You know, megge really likes it. He thought it was really funny, and so he's been running around, you know, asking every anywhere the Shark is today. So that's been pretty funny.
Speaker 1: But no, in all.
Speaker 15: Seriousness, you know, anytime you can get you know, you can be even talked about by a guy like Pedro, it's super cool. And you know, I've been a big, you know fan of his, like watching his brother, like his you know, commentary stuff is cool. And then obviously, you know, I go back and I watched some of his outings when I regular chance, and you know, he was elite, arguably one of the best, if not the best picture of all time. You know, in an era where it was really hard to pitch, he dominated. So it's super cool. You know, the nickname is funny. I think it's it's it's some Yeah, whatever people want to run with, they can run with. But yeah, it's it's funny, and it's it's obviously super cool that to you know, be talked about by someone like like Pedro.
Speaker 2: So when we think about great white sharks, we're talking about the ultimate predator. Do you feel like that's why he thought about you as a shark? Are you the predator on the mound going after these hitters?
Speaker 15: And like Chum, I can't speculate on what Pedro thought, you might have to ask him.
Speaker 2: I don't know what does that mean to you? Though? I don't know.
Speaker 15: It's not my nickname. I didn't give it to myself.
Speaker 2: You know, I can't.
Speaker 15: I can't. I can't speak on why he would give me that. You gotta ask him.
Speaker 2: All right, So can I run with this?
Speaker 11: Can I?
Speaker 1: Can?
Speaker 2: I stick with the Shark? Whatever you want to do? Okay? All right? Good? Glad to know that I could start going forward with a Hall of famous nickname for Justin Robleski, the Shark Shark.
Speaker 15: Whatever works, man.
Speaker 2: Hey, whatever works. Hey. I don't know what's working for Justin Robleski, but whatever it is, keep going with it. Here was the tweet from Pedro Martinez last week after the way Robleski pitched against the Twins. Quote, they have a lot of great whites in LA and now Justin the Shark Robleski is one of them. So we are running with this. His teammates, more importantly, are running with this Justin the Shark Robleski. And we'll try to get Pedro Martinez on Dodger Talk before the All Star breaks so we can try to get a little more clarification. But I think it's so cool that a guy of Pedro's stature recognized Robleski. And you never know these two guys might be interacting in Philadelphia at the All Star Game. Let's go out to Torrance. Kate. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Kate?
Speaker 16: Oh great? I just want to say Dave Roberts is a game changer. I mean, he was instrumental in breaking the curse for the Red Sox and he certainly broke the long time droout of World Series appearances for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: And a lot of people don't know this, Kate. On top of all that, Dave Roberts is a cancer survivor. On top of all that, people forget that he'd beat cancer, So that says a lot about him.
Speaker 16: Oh one more thing, Okay, and remember what one time I criticized him for managing with his heart, and I think now that's one of his strengths that he cares so much.
Speaker 2: All right, Kate, thank you for the phone call. I'm always a big believer in having the information, but in real time, an experienced manager knows his players, and Dave Roberts certainly has shown that over the course of the last five years especially. But he's done an incredible job for the last eleven years. You don't win a thousand games as a manager without doing that. So congratulations to Dave Roberts, congratulations to his staff, Danny Lehman, Mark Pryor, Dino Ebel, Clayton McCullough was his first base coach for a long time. You see what Clayton's doing with the Marlins now they've had the best record in June in Major League Baseball. Chris Woodward is back. He's been his coach off and on for the last eleven years. Bob Garran's been by his side for the last eleven years. So he showed a lot of gratitude to his players, to his coaching staff, into his front office. But like Dave said, without good players, you don't win a thousand games, and he's had a lot of good players. But you've got to find a way to get those good players all on the same page and channel their own personal goals to help the team goals. And he certainly has done that and we're seeing that this season. I mean the way the Dodgers are playing guys like Otani, Freeman, Betts, Rojas, Pajez, ta Oscar Hernandez, Tommy Edmond, the List, Max Muncy. These guys are playing like they came up short the last two years in the World Series, not like they won back to back championships. So for anybody that believes that they are taking this season lightly, you are mistaken because they come out every day. Not only do they have the talent, but they outwork everybody, and they want more from themselves. They want more for their own individual careers, and they understand what is at stake this year a three p with everybody chattering about how the Dodgers were ruining baseball, And make no mistake about it, they understand that there could be an extended lockout. There's no certainty, and they understand the rules could change. I don't see them changing that drastically, but they are taking it as a chip on their shoulder that Major League Baseball wants to change the rules to make it harder for the Dodgers to continue to win. The Dodgers are playing like they are on a mission this year. They are playing like it's them against the world. And I know you've heard that before, but trust me, watch the way they play. That's the way they are playing this year. Fifty six wins the National League is much better than the American League. Fifty six wins in the National League. They're twelve games ahead of the Padres and they're not done. And think about this as well. The majority of their games in the month of June have been on the road, and they have an incredible record this month, and they've extended their lead in the division to twelve games. They've only played and will only play nine games at home in the month of June. Think about that. Three games against the Angels, three against the Race, three against the Orioles. Those were the only nine games the Dodgers played at Dodgers Stadium in the month of June, and they have a twelve game lead now in the NL West. That's remarkable, especially when we were talking about an older team, the Younks. Well, the Younks have responded, let's go out to Sun City. Tim, You're on Dodger Talk after the Dodgers beat the A's of three.
Speaker 13: How you doing, Tim Hey?
Speaker 17: Dave Hey and a lifelong Dodger fans since nineteen sixty nine, Hey, sixty.
Speaker 2: Nine was not a great year, so you've hung in there.
Speaker 17: But they made up for that over the years. They said that I was I was a detractor of Dave Roberts for many years, but I'm a big, big opponent. I'm a big fan of him. Now, I think he's really he's really a great manager.
Speaker 7: But what convinced you, Tim?
Speaker 2: Was it the first World Series? Was it the second World Series? Or was it back to back World series? What got you on Dave Roberts's side? What was the moment?
Speaker 17: It was taking his hands off the team and letting them play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he admitted that, Yes, he.
Speaker 17: Did admit that. And that's where I changed because he let them start playing their game.
Speaker 2: Yep, and stay out of the way and believe in the guys, the dogs.
Speaker 17: He stayed out of the way and let them play. But I wanted to tell you his record against the Podres since he's taken over is one hundred and ten to sixty two.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you for doing that for us, Tim. I appreciate that you're really contributing tonight. You're self reporting and you're giving us some numbers that we needed. So I appreciate that.
Speaker 17: You're welcome. I appreciate you, Tim, very insight of love.
Speaker 2: I love it you contributed tonight, Tim, So thank you appreciate that record Dave Roberts against the Padres, and they'll be in town, and they are they could very well be thirteen games back when the Dodgers and Padres take the field at Dodgers Stadium on Thursday night. So looking forward to that, looking forward to a ten game homestand as the Dodgers go into the All Star Break, it'll be four against the Padres, it'll be three against the Rockies, and then three against the diamondback So hope you come out to Dodger Stadium and celebrate the team that is the reigning back to back World Series champions with the best record in baseball. How about that. You guys are the best fans in baseball. You have come out and supported the Dodgers. But let's make this homestand extra special. Like I said, only nine home games in the month of June. This is your chance to come out to Dodgers Stadium and cheer on the Dodgers as they head into the All Star Break with the best record in baseball. Otani is pitching on Friday night at Dodgers Stadium. He was going to pitch tomorrow, but the Dodgers have decided to give him a couple of extra days rest. It'll be a bullpen game tomorrow, and it looks like Roki Sasaki will pitch on Thursday night, the opener of that four game series. Otani will pitch Friday night, So if you haven't gotten your tickets yet, I would get them now. It's an event when Otani's pitching. It's an event at Dodger Stadium, every single game ever since Otani signed with the Dodgers. So come on out, not for the game, but for the event that is Dodger Baseball and Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium. Like I mentioned, Otani's left knee, Dave Roberts said two weeks ago that it's not behind him. They were going to have to manage it the rest of the year. So that's what this is. The Dodgers are managing it to give him a couple of extra days of rest, and their intent was to have Otani pitch only two more times before the All Star breaks, So instead of making it tomorrow and next Wednesday, they're pushing it back. So he'll pitch on Friday night, and the next time he pitches will be against the Arizona Diamondbacks, which probably will be Friday the tenth when he pitched again. So this Friday against the Padres and a week from Friday against the Diamondbacks is when Otani will pitch, especially since there's a day off the day before the Dodgers open up that final series before the break against the Snake. So that's the line of thinking behind pushing Otani back to Friday at Dodgers Stadium. He'll pitch two more times, both at home, and I love that he'll be pitching at Dodger Stadium, with fifty thousand plus at Dodgers Stadium each of his last two starts before the All Star Break, and I would you know, I would be surprised if he's the starting pitcher for the National League.
Speaker 9: Guy.
Speaker 2: I just don't see it with the left knee, with the blister. I just don't see Dave Roberts pushing him to be the starter. It's in Philadelphia, why not just have Sanchez or Misserowski start that game? So as much as I would love to see it, I would love to see Misserowski start that game for the Nation the League, and I would love to see Sanchez started in Philadelphia as well, and let Otani lead off the All Star Game with a home run against whoever they throw out there. All right, Tomorrow Bullpen game against J. T. Gin. His record is six and four with an ERA of three point fifteen. Our coverage begins at five point thirty, first pitch at six forty with Tim Neverett and Rick Monday from Sacramento. And by the way, in the game tonight, how about that fan with the Mexican soccer jersey on after they scored their second goal. He's sitting right behind home played as Robleski's trying to deliver the pitch and he's screaming goal and the entire stadium can hear him, the broadcast can hear him, and nobody acknowledged it, but it's all over social media. I mean, the guy was very loud. He was like the Spanish broadcaster that that screams goal. And he obviously was watching the game on his phone because it was two nothing after that goal over Ecuador and Mexico beat up Ecuador tonight and tomorrow night team USA is playing. But hey, we're locked in on Dodger Baseball. We'll have some fan behind home plate update us on the score tomorrow night too, I'm sure. Thanks to Colin ye back at our Burbank Studios, thanks to Dwayne McDonald in Sacramento, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can find our pregame conversation with Eric Carrouse, who's doing a great job on this road trip on Sports at LA. Thanks again for listening once again. The final score tonight, Dave Roberts wins his one thousandth career game as a manager after the Dodgers Beatda's nine to three. Ben Maller is next on Fox Sports Radio. We'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: See you