Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Thank you to everybody that stopped by. Wait a minute, kill the music. We're going over.
Speaker 3: We're going overtime. Kill the music. Kill the music.
Speaker 2: When you've got a three time World Series manager with the Dodgers and a man that is synonymous with winning who just is fresh off coming from Augusta, you have got to end the show with him and that is the one and only Dave Roberts. Dave, great to see you, and men, we're going overtime with you now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, this is good. Thanks for going overtime with me, Dave. Great turnout today and I'm sure you've got to catch it. With a lot of our players. It's been a crazy, fun short offseason. But you know, just seeing the guys now today, everyone's got a smile on their face, ready to get back to work, and it's good to see that energy today with our fans.
Speaker 2: Have you got the sense from your players that they are now addicted to winning?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I have absolutely.
Speaker 1: And you know what's interesting is that we've had two very short and off seasons and no one is really complaining or saying I need more time, everyone is chomping at the bit to get back to work to then win another championship. So we got that addiction absolutely.
Speaker 2: I'll give you a sneak peek on a meeting with Freddie Freeman that you will have. He says that he's going to kick and scream when you ask him for a day off. He just said, be ready, I am going to be upset in the moment, but obviously do whatever Dave Roberts wants.
Speaker 3: So that's what he's saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, And I think that we have that relationship where you always want.
Speaker 3: Players to be in there every single day.
Speaker 1: But I do think that, you know, there's a point of diminishing returns, and so I don't know Dave as we talk right now, how many games he is going to play, but I do think that, yeah, there's going to be times in this season where I do got to kind of get him off his feet, let him rest his mind. But yes, he's going to be kicking and screaming, but I'm prepared for that.
Speaker 2: This is not the first time you have managed teams that went to back to back World Series. You're now the back to back champions. What is the early part of the season looking for you when you come out of spring training, because you have been able to have the approach of winning today but still not compromising October.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a great question. It's very nuanced. I think that you know some of it. Most of it is certainly getting the guys, your core guys the rest, getting them, keeping them healthy, getting keeping them as I like to say, interested for the whole season, to get them ready for the run late.
Speaker 3: But the other part I think that we've seen.
Speaker 1: In our playoff runs, our World Series runs, is there's a lot of people that you don't know are going to make impacts early, but then they end up making big impacts late. So making sure that the river Ryans, the Gavin Stones, you know, the Free Lens, the different guys that might make an impact later, because you know, this year we saw Emmett Shehan, you know, you saw Robleski and a lot of guys at pitch.
Speaker 3: Huge innings for us this year.
Speaker 1: So getting those guys prepared for big spots as well.
Speaker 2: Last spring training, you are obviously you have the finger on the pulse of your team more than anybody. You said it, Emmitt Sheen was going to be the sleeper of the second half. Is River Ryan that version this season?
Speaker 1: You know what, he's right there. I want to see him in spring training. I know he's physical right now. He's had a great spring offseason. Gavin Stone is a guy I really have a lot of respect for us, so I want to see him as well. I'm not gonna it's a little too early for me to have my pick to click. Yeah, but yeah, Dave, let's revisit that one when we get into spring training.
Speaker 2: I know, speaking of spring training, Dave Roberts is our guest. You get the group the pitchers first, and then the entire you know, guys in camp position players, and you preach always be ready that each one of them will contribute. Is that message easier to land this year because of the unexpected countrys from so many guys as late as Game seven of the World Series?
Speaker 1: It is, But I think it's still dovetails into last year two or two years ago in the sense of how we used our bullpen. But yeah, I think it more cemented. You know, my messaging on every player's got to be ready because as it plays out, we've shown and prove that you don't know who's going to be the guy who has to be the guy, but every guy might have a chance to impact a big World Series game or playoff game, and that's kind of proven true. So my messaging certainly hasn't landed on deaf ears, which is great.
Speaker 2: I know you got to worry about twenty twenty six, but I did see a report and your quotes that you would love to be here at Dodger Stadium for the Summer Olympics in twenty twenty eight to manage Team Usay. I couldn't think of a better guy than you to do that. What inside of you is telling you you want that.
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 1: It would be the biggest honor for me. My father served our country in the Corps for thirty years. I played for the PanAm team in ninety nine to qualify the US baseball team for the Olympics in two thousand. You know, I managed a Dodge in Los Angeles, went to college here in LA and it would just be a huge honor. So obviously it's a ways out there, but I was asked the question and I just said, yeah, it'd be a huge honor, and for me to consider it, it's a no brand for me.
Speaker 3: To consider that.
Speaker 2: Do you think there's a chance major league players could play in the summer Olympics with a World Series winning major league manager?
Speaker 3: I do, I do, you know what?
Speaker 1: I think that and not to kind of, you know, put pressure on baseball or but I do think that if you're talking about the biggest stage possible to kind of promote our game, showcase our game, there's no bigger stage than the Olympics. So to have an opportunity to have major league players play against their cohorts from different countries in the Olympics in the middle of a season, butting up against the Allstar Game, there's an opportunity. So hopefully the powers that be can make it happen.
Speaker 2: Hey, when Dave Robert speaks, we listens before I let you go. You just came back from Augusta. You told Petro some money you were going to play at Augusta. How did you do?
Speaker 3: I did well. I shot eighty three the second day. Humble brag. Yeah, that's a humble brag.
Speaker 1: And I took Mookie and Freddie out there, and you know, our good friend Pat Hayden, you know, the former sc Gray was our host and we had a great time and it was just a friendly thing and Pat was so gracious, so we had.
Speaker 3: A great time. So how did they fare? They much better than I did. Dave.
Speaker 2: It's not FanFest without the voice, the guy that really makes things go for the Dodgers each and every night. Congratulations on managing an incredible World Series last year, managing incredibly back to back championships, and just really being the guy that we turned to for all things Dodgers.
Speaker 3: So thank you, Thank you, Dave.
Speaker 1: I love the Dodgers and I'm so proud of this group and so proud of the fans and happy for the fans. So thank you. Thanks for everything you do. And here we go again. We getting ready run it back?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, three?
Speaker 2: Pete in the mix. Dave Roberts is ready to go. Thanks for stopping by. And I think they want to take a picture with us, so we'll do that live on the radio. Here Dave Roberts joining us. The World Series manager. LA certainly appreciates him. Now if they don't, I will remind him. All those people over there didn't give this guy a Manager of the Year vote, but they all say he's a Hall of Fame manager.
Speaker 3: Explain that to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Thanks Dave.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it. Thanks Dave,