Speaker 1: All right back on the Big One, seven hundred WLW. It's nine oh eight on this Thursday night. I'm Dan Peril. This is the Thursday night edition of the Midwey Crisis. Drew Western, Heidi running the big board in the seven hundred WLW command center.
Speaker 2: No one does it better than Dree. I like that guy. A lot.
Speaker 1: Five, one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand and one, eight hundred, the Big One.
Speaker 2: The numbers, the call and we got plenty of time for your.
Speaker 1: Phone calls tonight because we are talking Election night all night long. And I am joined in studio tonight by the one and only Kurt Hartman. Judge, how you doing, Dan? Always great to be a minister. You texted me the day before yesterday and you said, uh, hey, man, you need to do a show. And I was planning on doing a show talking about the election, and you said, you need to do a show, well, you know, talking about the election. Take some phone calls. And I looked at the calendar and I and I did not realize it at the time, but I thought, man, this is the last night I'm going to be on the air before before election night. That's done a week away before election. I mean, it's it's really sneaking up on me this year.
Speaker 2: It's perfect. Yah, you're right, it's early.
Speaker 1: It's early in November, the first Tuesday after the first Monday. That decision was made long ago to have election day or election night on that day, the first Tuesday after the first.
Speaker 2: Monday in November. Why was that.
Speaker 1: Do you recall why that decision was made for that particular day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I do not, but it's been it's historical, it's almost since time immemorial, right, it's always been that day. You know. I think Constitution talks about the federal election there in the election the president and then the elect War College meets in December, and the president takes office originally in March, now in January. And I think it was just driven by that, by kind of the site show. There's a good reason for it, but it could have been. It just easily been, you know, the third Friday after the second Wednesday, or April or June or whatever you like that. You know, it is what it is. And like I said, but you know, in a certain sense, we no longer have an election day, we have an election month.
Speaker 1: I am not a huge fan of the early I know I agree with you, but but what.
Speaker 2: That's what we have developed in this country, and the expectation is developed. I think it is wrong. I don't like it as well. You know. To me, we it's really should be. I think when you have an election day in a certain sense, that becomes a unifying event for the country and the community that everyone is going to the polls or ninety percent of the people are going to the polls on that day and we're all doing that act, if you will, in a sense together. When you have this election month and early voting for weeks on end and now thirty forty percent people of the voters vote early, it's just so broken apart that unifying aspect of an election is gone. You know, when I was growing up earlier, you know, it used to be did it on election day? Early voting was reserved for people who were like over sixty five, you're going to be in the hospital, going to be out of the cattown or out of the country, and that was about it.
Speaker 1: Right now, it's no fault, no excuse early voting. Yeah, you got to have I agree with that. If if there's a special circumstance where and it was called absentee voting. You're not going to be there on election day, so you can you can make your excuse and say why I'm not going to be there. Here's your ballot cast. Your vote doesn't seem like it's that complicated. But now with all the early it just it just really opens up the door of fraud. And I saw an article yesterday where Frank LeRose cleaned out and he sent twelve hundred individuals, referred them to the Department of Justice for investigation. Yes, because they admitted that some of them, they admitted that they had voted illegally, they had voted they voted multiple times, they voted in Ohio, why they lived in another state?
Speaker 2: Non citizens citizens voting right.
Speaker 1: And so my point is this, and I made the point last night. It's twelve hundred and what's the popular in Ohio twenty two million, twenty four.
Speaker 2: Million, something like that.
Speaker 1: Twelve to thirteen. They say, okay, whatever, okay, but it's a small number. Yes, But that's not the point. The point is is that we should we should strive for zero. They have zero irregularities when it comes to voting. And so for him to take this action, even though it's a small number. I think it's still an important step.
Speaker 2: Right if you look at that at his released what he talked about sending these referrals to the DOJ. These were people who voted in federal elections and so therefore that makes it a matter within the jurisdiction of the federal government. And part of the issue was he was saying, you know, certain local prosecutors are not pursuing it. You know, violations of election laws. And you know, elections are normally a local or state matter. We handle elections in this country on a state and local matter. But when these violations occur, the local prosecutors need to be willing to pursue them with criminal charges. That maintains or promotes the integrity of it, because part of it is a preventative. Oh, they got a thing for doing that, because that was the way. I better not do that if I'm going to be only legal voter, double voting or whatnot. But when these local prosecutors aren't prosecuting these cases, his only option was to refirm to the Department of Justice. And I think appropriately so.
Speaker 1: But he said he got cooperation from some prosecutors eighty eight counties in Ohio, so there's eighty eight prosecutors, right.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: And also and if you consider the population, you know, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton, you know, acron Guess what all Democrat prosecutors in the largest cities were most where a lot of the population is. You could have you know, if everything's proportional, you could have most of your violations in those large counties. Guess what those Democrat prosecutors because of the ideology of the far left of the Democrat Party, which is now mainstream Democrat Party politics, they're not going to pursue that stuff because those they view them as their voters. And unfortunately the Democrat Party has taken the attitude they don't care, you know, by hook or by crook. They want to win elections and get power. You know, we saw Biden flooding the southern border with illegal immigrants, hoping to get them some for amnesty, get them citizenship, and they'll be perpetual Democrat voters. That was the whole calculus of the whole border policy by the Biden administration. And it's that and you see it playing out on all various fronts. A well, consider Minnesota. You know, all these there's reports coming out about numerous thousands and thousands of Somali immigrants committing immigration fraud and getting citizenship base upon fraud. And now they're voting, sure, you know. And the problem is they can have their citizenship revote and should have it revoked because of those that fraud.
Speaker 1: Well, you got Mandani in New York City, and then in Minneapolis, you've got you've got another Islamis dude who's running from I've got an I've got an article here about this guy. But he's running and and I saw a video of him where he's at a rally a few days ago. He's waving a flag, speaking a foreign language. He's he's waving a Somali flag, talking about Somalia, and he's he's running and he's running for mayor of Minneapolis. What about the United States of America? What about that?
Speaker 2: And then you got another Islamis running for the Senate in Michigan, coming out of Dearborn, Michigan. Oh, dear Dearborn. That place is lost. Man. They they they've got a Muslim mayor. There.
Speaker 1: There was a guy I and I talked with the gal from the Detroit News about this. Not the Detroit Free press, but the Detroit News, the the the the Thinking Person's newspaper there in Detroit, and and and she was telling me all about this and uh and and I said, how far gone is is Dearborn? And she said it's it's gone and and this and this mayor was essentially saying, you know, you are not welcome here. This guy, this guy, and this guy was talking about he was talking about the I guess the Muslim called to prayer that goes over the loud speakers and and some other thing that they did, and he wasn't happy with it.
Speaker 2: Well it starts the morning.
Speaker 1: And the mayor essentially said, you know, I don't you know, you're not I don't want you in my city. Right And this guy's not even an American. Yeah, so I mean it's I mean, it's Dearborn is totally out of control. And I think we're going to start seeing a lot more of that. If this thing with mont Donnee.
Speaker 2: Well that you know, you take take a look at the United Kingdom in England. You know, all the mayor of London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool and you are all Muslims, and you look at how they're operating, you know, you know, they become you know, third world countries if you will, or third world cities if you will, and there's no standards. You know, they've lost that identity of what it means to be brit And and you know, and finally, I think the Brits are trying to push back. But you know, you got a labor government over there that he's had by an avowed communist. I mean, Keen Sturmer was in a Czechoslovakian work camp during the Cold War. He was working for the Communists during the Cold War, and now he's Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
Speaker 1: You know, I've been asking the question a lot. What is it that is making largely young people vote for Mandani in New York City? And I've been asking that question, and I found a piece that was written that I think, and I think the guy really hits it on the head. I want we'll get to that a little bit later, but let's start off. We said we were taking phone calls tonight, So Ken from Mason is going to be first up from tonight and Ken from Mason, what's going on?
Speaker 2: I'm sitting here with the judge.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, now, Judge, are you a Republican now or a Democrat?
Speaker 2: Who are you asking?
Speaker 4: I'm asking the judg.
Speaker 2: Am I a Republican now or a Democrat. I am an independent, freethinking American. I don't think it's a party issue. I think I think it is a constitution issue. Uh, I would tell you my party.
Speaker 4: Registration's a Democrat. I thought you were a Democrat at some time.
Speaker 2: I have never been a Oh my gosh, no, I have never been a Democrat. To be honest with you all. Since since age eighteen, I have been a registered Republican and have voted in every primary since then for decades now. Unfortunately, unfortunately, only because of my age.
Speaker 4: Okay, I think that Dan's listeners, everybody needs to come to grips what's going on. The Communists are at large now, and I mean Mondamie's not hiding anymore. Elano Omar in Minnesota is not hiding it anymore. You're talking about dearborn Michigan Talita Rashiv is not hiding it anymore. These people are communists. They're not Americans. They don't show the American flag. They keep brandishing their own flags. From Somaya, from Mexico, you name it, Judge, you hit on it right away that Biden opened the floodgates up so he could get votes into this country through illegal immigrants. Through the audits, we now know at least twelve million people illegal aliens voted in twenty twenty. We know that Trump actually destroyed Biden the election. You know, but you know, you're crazy if you admit those things. Now they're not hiding anymore. They're out wide open, you know. And the young kids are brainwashed right now. We have forty years of students that have been brainwashed. I mean, you look at what's going on in Columbia University, what's going on in a lot of the Ivy League schools. It's a disaster. And I mean, I think, Dan, this is all part of the Muslim what they've talked about taking over the Western world. They'll do it from within. And you know there's Doonmie's not the only guy. You guys have mentioned, the guy in Minnesota and the other you know, communists are running for office. And I think we've got millions and millions and millions of Americans that are blinded to what's going on. They don't realize they're about to give up their own freedom.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I mean, we don't have to worry about police. Owy have an army in the street killing you before they ask questions. I mean, all they have to do is look at Venezuela. What's been going on there with Monduro Moduro No?
Speaker 2: And I think you're right in terms of the communists are out there. The communists are out there. They've got that anti American attitude. The islam mister out there, they've got an anti American attitude, and they're kind of all merging together. And you talk about communists leading city guy. What popped into mind was Karen Bass, who's the mayor of Los Angeles. You know, she spent time in Cuba with US Social Socialist Revolution Group and she comes right out of Fidel Cass. Part of the weather Underground, wasn't she? I think so related to you know, and you know, I remember I grew up during the Cold War. It's like, you know, then it was better dead than Red, right, which Red was the communist not the Republicans, which I think is a conspiracy of the media to make Republicans read. So you can no longer.
Speaker 1: Say that are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist but you.
Speaker 2: Know, but you look at that and what we got lost in the Biden administration, and I pray that the Trump administration gets more aggressive with it. Is this immigration fraud.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, I think Trump is because he's talking, he's and they're not debating it at the moment, but he has talked about and I think there's going to be a huge debate about when the census comes around not counting illegals in the census, and it has to do. I think it plays into all the redistricting that's happening right now, the maps that are being drawn, because if if it's all based on population and you're not going to count illegals as part of your population, well then you're going to lose a lot of Democrats seats. And that's one thing the Left cannot abide in any way, shape or form, is losing their grip on power.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's all about power. But when you look, I'm talking immigration for a people committing fraud and their representations to come into this country or on their citizenship applications. You got it along Omar up in Minnesota who came illegally, you know, from Somalia. She came to refugee status, right, but she kept going back and forth, back and forth, marrying her brother, marrying her brother, but marrying her brother to bypass this.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know Mandami in New York, he's already been in this country for seven years and apparently failed to disclose ties to terrorist organizations on his immigration forms. That is grounds to revoke his citizenship. And the fact that he's running for mayor may get elected mayor should not matter. Well, I know there's some talk about that going on too. Yes, yes, but.
Speaker 3: Jack.
Speaker 4: Eventually, Trump's gonna have to go into New York City at some point. If Madami really starts to pull off some of the stuff he's thinking about, I think Trump will be justified going in there and removing him. Well, he's going to and ask the guard, the army if you have to, he asked.
Speaker 1: To He's gonna run out of money. I think that's the first thing that's gonna happen. He's gonna he's gonna run out of money. And does he come hat in hand to to Trump and and and start looking for a federal bailout because Kathy Hopell doesn't have any. She endorsed him the other day the governor. What an idiot. And I'm seeing all these videos of these people.
Speaker 4: Be in Miami, Florida.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, all.
Speaker 1: These videos of people and all I voted for Mondani. I'm very proud of that, Jews, for I've seen stuff like that. I do not understand that.
Speaker 2: I don't you know. Here I saw a group of three female rabbis making fun and joking and being glad about it. Yeah, I'm sorry. I mean, I don't know what world they're living in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a threat. They're going to make the same video when they're all wearing a hey job.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, the young people need to understand that socialism has never worked in the history of mankind because eventually they take the rich people's money and no one has in he mind. Just Dan talked about they'll all be broke, you know, and what he does, he keeps talking. That's who's only answered everything. You're going to tax the rich. The rich are going to get the hell out of New York City. They're not standing.
Speaker 1: There, They're already starting to do it. They're already starting to do it. Ken, we got to run. But as always, man, I appreciate you picking up the phone.
Speaker 4: Brother, Great show. Guys.
Speaker 1: All right, there you go, Ken from Mason. When we get back, we will talk about what's happening in the city.
Speaker 2: Let's get back. Yeah, let's get to the city of Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: R got off on a little tagent there, but we're going to set up the city council races, the mayor raise, all that kind of got all night. But let's know, we got all night five, one, three, seven, four, the big one. As we talk election on this Thursday night edition of The Midweek Crisis on seven hundred WLW, Queen.
Speaker 2: City Forward is more than a name. It's a nod to the city. We love. Cincinnati keeps moving forward. Hey, nikes and night.
Speaker 1: On the Thursday night edition of The Midweek Crisis. Kurt Hartman is in studio. If me we're talking election, we we we got off on a tangent that first half hour and it flew right by. So let's talk about what's happening at city Hall. You've got Corey Bowman. It was the the upstart, and it's been what it's been like like five or six or seven election cycles before a republic We haven't even had a Republican run for mayor.
Speaker 2: I think the last Republican we had run for mayor was brad Winstrup winstro I don't even remember when he ran. It was like in the early early to mid two thousands or something like four years before he ran for Congress.
Speaker 1: Six one of his first times out of it. That was I think that was his first time out of the gates. Yeah, but it was just kind of a hey, he's.
Speaker 2: Getting once to get involved, and he got convinced to run for mayor.
Speaker 1: Feed you to the wolves the first time, but he got a good consolation prize. I've got why do you think that is?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Why do you think that Republicans haven't even bothered to make a showing for so long? And look, if Corey Bowman wouldn't have stepped up this time around, we'd have another cycle where we wouldn't have I just think running.
Speaker 2: Honestly, my take is we don't have good leadership in the Hamilton County Republican Party. We have no fight in the Republican Party. In the leadership, we just kind of go along. I'm sorry, Okay, Yes, the numbers are against you in Hamilton County and in the City of Cincinnati especially right you're a minority party and the chances to win, but you've got to be and I think in that instance, people want you to be the loyal opposition, the fighting, the challenging opposition and calling them out when they do stuff. And for the past ten years or so, we've not seen any of that, you know, as the power and influence of the Hamilton County Republican Party or the Republican Party in Hamilton County has decreased, party leadership has just kind of sat there and said, oh, well, that's inevitable. It's demographics. There's nothing we can do about it. Whether there's something you can do about it or not. I think there are certain things you can try to mitigate, but at the minimum, be there, challenging, be a fight you don't want to fight.
Speaker 1: It seems like the effort has not even been really been made, right.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't go out that there's no effort to go recruit candidates, just kind of sit there and will Okay, whatever candidates show up. Oh I'm happy somebody showed up. That that's not leading a party, that that's not what we what we need. I think we need somebody who has the foresight, has you know, more than more than a month or a week before the filing deadline for an office is out looking for candidates, is it?
Speaker 1: Is it just a matter of fact of you know, boots on the ground that we don't have the people that want to do the hard work of knocking on the doors, you know, making the T shirts, getting the you know, getting the literature out there, that kind of that kind of basic It seems to me that the republic it seems to me there's plenty of Democrats who are willing to do that.
Speaker 2: Exactly well a lot of them. A lot of them get paid by these non government organizations that got money through us A I d whether you know. But to answer your question, I think in a certain sense that is right. But I don't think we try. I never saw an effort when I was involved, when I was running for office. I never saw good, court NATed effort amongst all the different Republican Party groups, for example Xavier University and University of Cincinnati Republican clubs. That's we just kind of had them out there on their own. There was no hey, let's get you involved in the party, Let's get you involved in campaigns. Here are some young people energize politically oriented Republicans, right, and we just they do their thing, We do our thing, and that's it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I kind of said, you know, a chairman of a party.
Speaker 1: They call they're all doing their thing, but they're in there. But then they're not connected with anyone else.
Speaker 2: To me, a good, good, good chairman of a party is kind of like the conductor of an orchestra. You want to bring that, you know, the horns and the strings and the percussion all together and make this symphony. But when you let them just go off on their own, you don't have anything. You got noise. And then in a certain sense that that's what we've got. We don't have a strategic plan, and it's like we always feel like we're playing ketch up to what the Democrats have done. All they did it better get out the vote campaign, they did a better coordinated campaign. Yeah they did so, okay, we'll go to try to do that. But and we always just get focused on an election, unlike the Democrats. I think as Republicans, we tend to get focused just three months before the election, two months before the election, whereas the Democrats it's a year round mentality. Again, we talked about earlier the last half hour. How democrats strive and organize just to maintain and keep power, and it is a perpetual thought in their mind. You know.
Speaker 1: Back in January, we all thought that basic city services was going to be the major issue of this election cycle, this before the crime started getting out, pop holes and whatnot. Yeah, lo and behold two days three you know what is it? Four days before the vote? Five days before the vote. The city manager comes out and says, hey, we've got all this great technology. The streets are going to get plowed next time it snows. And oh you know, hey, we've got iPads now in the trucks and the managers can see where the drivers are going, and all the streets are going to get plowed. And I'm thinking to my self, well, wait a minute, Uh, where's the new trucks. How about some trucks that work. How about some snowplows they can get the job done. What about some smaller vehicles they can get on some of those side streets where it's hard to fit a full size true, you know, or you can't fit a full side what about stuff like that? Technology is great, but back in the fifties, sixties, and seventies, we didn't have this kind of technology, and guess what, the street's gone plowed. Yeah, because people knew what they were doing. You know, how about some some great four wheel drive vehicles where you can have managers drive around and look at streets and identify streets and say we need what about that kind of stuff?
Speaker 2: But no, well we've got iPads. Now, we've got you know, the high tech things, high tech technology, the trucks. That's going to solve all the problems. You don't have to think. You get people who don't think. Kidding me, and that's what they rely so much upon technology that they don't think for themselves. But in a certain sense, when you know, I just heard that that story and the report. Yeah, part of me said, though, wait a minute, that's almost like your house is on fire and you're worrying about how how your rose garden looked.
Speaker 1: We've got all this chaos going on at city Hall, and it looks it's all the Democrats. Have to own that. Yes, it's all Democrats at city Hall. Yes, and we got all this chaos going I have never I used to cover city Hall when I was at Fox nineteen, and look, I thought that there was plenty of times when it was a clown show then with the people who were on City Council at that time, but it was never anything. The one thing I remember about covering city Hall is that whoever was on City Council and whatever buffoonery they were up to, there was always a city manager who was the grown up, who was the serious person, Who who was the person that was you know, that could step up and say, hey, it's time to knock this off and get down to serious.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But back in that day, we had really the city manager form of government. I don't know what form of government we've got in the City of since nat Well we had the most have the strong mayor, but the man. Yeah, but who runs the city on a day to day basis. It's the city man supposed to be the city manager, but it's it's the mayor because we've got we've got an incompetent city manager.
Speaker 1: The mayor is supposed to be more hands on now, yeah, but not. All he's hands on was for press conferences. And we have to have pur of all do besides show up at press conference.
Speaker 2: That's it. It's no leadership.
Speaker 1: And I hope people have seen and how and how do we have a mayor who feels confident enough and feels comfortable enough that when you have a major event happened in the streets of downtown Cincinnati that is on video and yours and it's going national internet, is being is being just a just pillary from pillar to post on national TV, and that video is running morning, noon and night, day after day after day.
Speaker 2: And you feel Okay, then you can leave the country. I can call it in. Yeah, you can, and you can.
Speaker 1: You can put up your five year old as a she and say, oh, it's my son's birthday and then we you know, we got to go have a birthday.
Speaker 2: So it is because I think I said it before with because because we have a mayor in the city of Cincinnati who has no ties to the city of Cincinnati. He's an honestly, he's an outsider. He never really established himself as truly being Sincinnati compare Beaver Creek. But yeah, but I think I think of John John crann in comparison to John Cranley. You know, agree or disagree with John. I know John, I like John, disagree with some stuff on John. But John really cared about the city SINCECT because he grew up on the West Side. And I'm not saying you have to have been a native Cincinnati and to be mayor helps. It helps, but but really, somebody who comes in who actually wants to loves the city and what we what we had. I kind of said, I look back historically, you go back to the nineteen seventies on city Council and the leadership of since I'm thinking people like Ted Berry and Gene Roman Democrat and Republican. They cared about the city of Cincinnati. Their priority and only interest was the city of Cincinnati. What we got within the past ten to twenty years on Cincinnati are more council members who have become grandstanders looking for a higher office. I'm thinking PG sitting Feld, I'm thinking aftab par of all. They don't have this love, if you will, and commitment to the city. Their love and commitment is to themselves and their own political career. You know, Gene Rule, me and Ted Berry never ran for another office. They never sought out a higher office. Now not that they wouldn't have been qualified, not that they might have been called to it, but they got on city Council and helped lead the city positively in the nineteen seventies because they cared about the city. These people nowadays don't. It's all about power, be a local power, whatever, king of the hill of the mole Hill. That's you know, it may be compared to whatever, and that's what you get. And so with Aftab, you know, he comes to Cincinnati. You know, he does his little Afla Aftab duck thing to get elected, a cute little thing, good promotion, marketing, but there was no substance behind it. And he didn't want to be Clerk of Courts forever. Oh, he wanted to run for Congress. He wanted to get involved in national politics.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: Remember he ran against Steve Shebdan lost he really that's really when it went so, but oh, I'm stuck running for mayor. I guess it was kind of a consolation price. I'm just gonna say that consolation. And if you talk to people, I've talked to people who have had some ties and nose what kind of heartbeat of what's going on in city hall. He never really enjoyed being there.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's any doubt he's got his sites set on something else.
Speaker 2: And which, after all, after his record in the past few months. I think hopefully people will see, you know, see what the lack of substance. But it's a press conference, it's a tweet. There's no substantive leadership. And you look at they've handled the brawl. You looked at how they've handled you know, Chief TG, and that that's been an absurd way of hand. It's no leadership. I'm sorry. You know, even if somebody, even if somebody makes a decision I might not agree with. I might say, you know, that was a that was definitely strong leadership. I might disagreed with the conclusion. I can't even say that about Aftab or or Share, our longest city manager. She does whatever Aftab is, She's unqualified for the job. She's no leader. He's no leader. But that and this is what and this nine members, nine Democrats on the Cincinnati City Council are no leaders. I honestly, I don't know half. If you ask me right now, I could.
Speaker 1: Not gonna and we want One of the one of the things that's gonna be a result of this is that it's going to cost a city a hell of a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yes, with with that, you know they had probably they fired the fire chief. Look at the way she she did.
Speaker 1: Mike Washington, Yes, and and her and both in and the g both with the Finny Law firm, and Steve m is his work in those cases, and it's gonna I think. I think the Mike Washington payout is going to be is going to be possibly here's that Steve.
Speaker 2: Steve a great attorney, smart attorney, but these are cases that you don't need to be a rocket signed. And the city screwed up so bad it's like, what the heck are they doing there? They're dead to right. But I mean, and it's like, do the voters really realize I'd love to hear from some voters in the City of Cincinnati about their take on what's going on in the city, what's up with the with the election.
Speaker 1: But I've seen chaos at city Hall before, but nothing like this.
Speaker 2: No, But you know, can you really name all nine members of city Council right now?
Speaker 1: I can't because you've got I'm in front of me. But the thing, the thing is, you know you got jan Michelle lemon Coarney. She's the vice mayor who wants to run for mayor in four years. Yeah, she she I guess she's uh, you know when I when she she comes on and she talks with Scott Sloan from time to time. I don't think she has done any other shows on this but but but whenever I see her, uh, and she's definitely got her site set on the mayor's office. Victoria Parks, who is not running again. The white guys deserve what they got said they were the ones who deserve the beat downs. Uh Anna Anna, I'll beat well. I heard her on the other day. She replaced Liz Keating she's the one who and again, no idea what she's done. Jeff Kramerding Uh used to be with the price Ill Community Council, Mark Jefferies.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Scottie Johnson, who has apparently lost his mind. He was I don't know, I hit when when he was I think he was the leader of the sentinels within when he was on the police force. I you know, I I don't know. I'm kind of I'm kind of about Scottie John's. Every once in a while he comes out and says something that that's looseider makes sense. But there's a lot of times when he says things I just totally differt disagree with Evan Nolan. I have no idea about Evan Nolan. Minka Owens. I don't know a lot about Mika Owens. But she clears the chairs the Climate, Environment and Infrastructure Committee, so she's climate. The Cincinnati still have his EPA office. Don't it's climate office, don't. I don't believe it's it's on the Cincinnati Environmental with this administration, probably, but but yeah, and then and then Seth Wall she took over for Greg Landsman.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing with all that, why did they were what have they done? I don't know, not that.
Speaker 1: I'm I can't think of a good reason to re elect any No, but.
Speaker 2: Let me, I'm not expecting these city council member. I don't want these city council members. I was also being constantly throwing themselves in front of the cameras either. But it's like there's been no skepticism, there's been no challenges to the administration. They've just been they've been rubber stamps.
Speaker 1: The only thing I've heard any of these council members say, Mark Jefferies, was on the other day when the whole when the whole Chief Police Chief Fiji story was breaking, he came on and said, look, city Council, we don't have any clue. We haven't had any communication from the city manager. Then I haven't had any communication from the from the the mayor. Because Scott Slan's like, well what about this? What about this?
Speaker 2: And he's like, well, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, why aren't you demanding it? That he knows is what he's reading seeing on the news.
Speaker 2: Then why aren't they demanding it as a body, Why aren't they standing up and pushing back again? Because they're all Democrats drinking the same progressive.
Speaker 1: Cool Absolutely, Now, Rick and Dallas, what's going on tonight? I'm sorry that the time got away from me. I saw you up there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 2: How you doing all right?
Speaker 3: Rick?
Speaker 2: We we got a couple of minutes left in this segment.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Well, I grew up there.
Speaker 6: To this day, I know a whole lot about.
Speaker 2: The history there.
Speaker 3: There's a there's one dramatic difference between the local politics there today and say, oh, go back thirty forty fifty years ago.
Speaker 4: You know what the difference is.
Speaker 2: What's the difference.
Speaker 3: Back back fifty years ago? You had these guys. They are a bunch of PROCs Ian the puppis fifty years ago, you had the.
Speaker 2: Real deal over there. Come on, Charles p.
Speaker 4: Task, Bill Bowen, H.
Speaker 3: Gratison and you have Barryson good all the trial over councils.
Speaker 4: Come on.
Speaker 1: These were serious individuals cared about the city. These these individuals had a sense of civic responsibility and and doing what was best for the city. And I think gave what showed back then.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But but but one more thing to those people actually owed the city. I mean these people now are puppets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they are.
Speaker 3: I mean, but those people the child's to the Lucas, they owed the city. I mean they have money if they had scared in the game. These people don't have it, the scared of the game. These people are puppies.
Speaker 2: No, I think you're right. I think you're right. I mean I think I think even like Tomaya demart Thenard right, she had no skin in the game. She was happy to get the paycheck. And if that's if it's just getting a paycheck and.
Speaker 3: What one thing before? Because I know you gotta hang up there, How you going to get the people all of the city. Id idid Hill or you know that inty Hill. But you know you know what, people that have no money to grow up the city council, you ain't gonna do that. They're too lazy. I mean, why should they do it when they could get these pumpers to do, you know, and do their work for I mean, the people with the power are too damn lazy to be all city council. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Rick. I appreciate the phone call, Thank you very much. I think Rick makes a good point there, and especially it's like, you know, even if these people quote unquote who owned the city or whatnot, even if they're not gonna run, they're not pushing for good candidates. Yeah, I know, I don't see the business community really stepping up. And I'm talking to cadates they needed. And that's what we'll go down. We'll go down the list of candidates who are running. Yeah, well there's a long list. I don't know. That'll take up the whole Next second, are you're going to be here all night? Say there?
Speaker 1: And five, one, three, seven, the big one relate for a break. So let's do that now. It is the Thursday night edition of the Midweek Crisis. On seven hundred ww I was born overseas in Jordan, actually.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: It's the Thursday night edition of The Midwek Crisis. I'm Dan Carroll. We rock and roll till Midnights. Tonight we're talking elections.
Speaker 2: My last show.
Speaker 1: Before election night on November fourth, Tuesday, the first Tuesday after the first Monday. And breaking all this stuff down with me tonight is Judge Kurt Hart. So let's let's talk a little bit about it. Back in in August of this year, the city manager sent a letter to the police Chief, Teresa Thiech, and she was complaining that the police chief went out there and said, you know what, we're going to work with other police chiefs in the city of Cincinnati and they've got this task force and we're going to be part of it, and we're going to do what we can to crack down on crime. And so Cheryl Long was upset about this, saying that, look, you need to get with me before you say something like this publicly. So when I when I look at this letter and she's talking about all communications, external meeting strategies, blah blah blah, you know they got to go through me, They go through my pr person. All this all this stuff this is it says to me that there was not a work a real working relationship there, to my way of thinking, the police chief and the city manager the city the police chief reports to the city manager. They ought to be talking every day, multiple times a day, first thing in the morning. I mean, you just checking in, what's going on, what do you got today?
Speaker 2: Anything? Anything going on.
Speaker 1: These conversations should be going on every single day, multiple times a day. And this letter tells me that was not happening.
Speaker 2: But also, but also I would say if I was city manager, I have a police chief who has decades of experience in law enforcement. Yes, I a city manager have none right, Cherlong has none right. You know myself personally I was a judge. But that's not law enforcement. That's that's a minute. But you have pop people with expertise in an area, You let them run their department using that expertise. You provide general oversight, you don't micromanage. That's exactly what she was doing. That's exactly and what it is. And it's like, what knowledge, what basis of experience does share along a city manager have to know anything about the police department.
Speaker 1: No, she this letter should have said, Hey, saw your press conference. You want to work with the other chiefs in the say good, you're being proactive. Hey, let let let's get together. How can I help?
Speaker 2: How? How does the city make this happen for you? What do we do? Who do we contact? Let's get the ball rolling on this.
Speaker 1: But letter should Shlong has been trying to dress her down and say, you need to get with me.
Speaker 2: But I have to have Parahl choosing share along as city manager because she had two qualifications. She was a DEI hire and she would do whatever Ata told her to do. That's it. She is incompetent and she has confirmed her incompetence here as of late. But really, really for the years that she's been there.
Speaker 1: It's the City of Cincinnati used to have an Office of Municipal Investigation.
Speaker 2: I believe that's Do they still have it. I doubt it. I don't know. I've never heard of it. If it still does, I know they had it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It seems to me that office would be perfect for this, this exercise that Sarah Long wants to play. Pay Frost Brown Todd for it. It's gonna be in the neighborhood of fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: You know, what they really need in the city of is kind of an inspector general, an independent inspector general, something like that that can go back and investigate stuff and issue reports to try to improve the government of the of the City of Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Now she's saying, we have to investigate her performance as chief, Well, where have you been? Well wait minute, there's performance reviews. So it doesn't that tell you what her performance is. Either you know of something or you don't know of something. If you don't know of anything, But now they got to pay a law firm to find out if she's been an effective leader. Uh, if she's been a leader within the context of city government, including furthering the broader goals and objectives of the city administration. When I and and I did, I did a whole show on this last week. I dialed up all this stuff and it's right all there on the city on the city website, and and it's all it's all the emission statements and all this stuff, and it's it's a diversity, equity and inclusion. It's it's all this woke mumbo jumbo. And so so my my theory on this is that Teresa Thiji was trying to do the best she could to adhere to the wishes of Aftab Purval and share Al Long, trying to carry out their wishes within the police department and the way the police department did their job. And when things started going bad, that when the results came in and the crime whether and look, you can slice and dice these statistics one hundred different ways, but the perception was is that crime was out of control in the city of Cincinnati, and so when that started putting the heat on a tab Purval, then we got the mess that we have now. Yeah, I think, you know, I think it's as simple as that it is.
Speaker 2: It is like I said, we got a city manager who's not letting the people with the experience. It's like, you don't give up, you don't give them a blank check, but you ask critical questions, but you don't micromanage. And it's like, that's what we've got with people both in the mayor and the city manager who have never really had some real life experience in the private sector.
Speaker 1: So they want to find out if she's committed any infraction or policy violation with serving as police chief, has disregarded best practices and the running the CPD to the detriment of public safety and crime. For let me ask, she's telling, uh, Frost Brown Todd that we want you to find these things out.
Speaker 2: What do you think Frost Brown Towd's going to find something? I have no idea. I think there's not there's what's there? No, I don't think there is. Why wouldn't we know about this if these things have already happened? But who is Frost Brown Toald working for the city and he who pays the fiddler calls the tune, and so this is kind of like the old one.
Speaker 1: What they're going to find out is that they're gonna cut the private report is going to say, hey, this is on you mayor this is on you city manager.
Speaker 2: It's not her fault. But then publicly there's gonna be this whole thing with hiring Frost Brown and Todd to conduct an investigation to tell me, hey, is there something she did wrong by which I might be able to fire her even though I city manager have no clue. Really it's Alison Wonderland. It is the Red Queen verdict. First, then try.
Speaker 1: They gotta they gotta hire these people to figure out why they see they fired, they fired, but they didn't really fire her, you know, all technicality.
Speaker 2: Trying to find the grounds to fire her. It's like, you know, verdict first, then trial that that's and and it's like this.
Speaker 1: And Stephen is just sitting there, just just just looking at Hey.
Speaker 2: This is what the people of Cincinnati, unfortunately, guys, and take take some responsibility and acceptance of responsibility. This is what they voted for.
Speaker 1: I don't vote in the city. And if you're listening to me right now and you vote in the City of Cincinnati, you've got to vote the changes.
Speaker 2: No, you know, like you said, you went through the council members, and it's like, what have any of them done? I don't even know half of them or of half of them. But it's like where there's no accountability, there's no oversight. You know, you talk about one council member, Well, this is the first we heard about. Why aren't you demanding information from the administration. You're just sitting there, docile City Cincinnati Council meeting. Yes, and and and it's like, guys, that's what you is. I would expect city, but but you know, but thankfully, thankfully, you know, two years ago when city council ran, there were ten people running for nine slots on city Council. Ten people, nine Democrats and one Republican. And guess what they elected all nine Democrats. And this is what we've got. Thankfully, we've got twenty six plus or minus people running this election.
Speaker 1: There's some good people people here. In a minute, Jack and Harrison, what say.
Speaker 2: You, Dan?
Speaker 7: Carrol?
Speaker 2: How are you all right? Jack? How are you doing tonight?
Speaker 8: I'm doing well. And hello to the honorable judge. And I'll tell you guys right now, the only way a Republican is going to be the mayor of Cincinnati, he is going to have to rent out of space downtown right by a government.
Speaker 2: Square and be ready to do the work.
Speaker 6: Be there three or four days a week, open the place up, have a microphone, let the community come in and talk and talk to the community, and then find out ways to fix the problems that are bugging them, and then use people from the community to solve the problems, and then give them some free food from the food trucks that this.
Speaker 2: City is trying to ban. Yeah, what about that?
Speaker 6: How That's how we're a Republican would win because the problem is and the Democrats have called this. People look at black people like, oh, they're just going to vote Democrat. They're not even going to consider a Republican. But let me tell you, buddy, I deliver medical supplies all through Cincinnati, and I talk to all colors of people, and black people are very smart. And you give them a microphone and they're gonna give you ways to fix these problems. Nobody listens to them.
Speaker 2: There's nobody they.
Speaker 9: Talk to them and tell them all we're gonna give you this. We're gonna give you that.
Speaker 2: They don't need nothing free.
Speaker 6: He's one of the most rufius people in Cincinnati are black people. They don't need handouts.
Speaker 1: Well, Jack, you need a microphone. They need a microphone, All right, Jack, But thank you very much for the call. What about that move when the when the city manager comes out and says we're putting a curfew on food trucks and they got to shut down by eleven o'clock at night, What crime solved?
Speaker 2: Okay, it's like ridiculous of all evil in the city of Cincinnati. Oh wow, what brilliant. Why did we think of that? I mean, and you know, Jack was saying, you know, talking to you know, black people, but really the average citizen, I don't care what race, have a lot of common sense and I pray that they are seeing through and using their common sense and saying this is ridiculous what we're getting out of the city right now, we're getting sure and hopefully, you know, he talks about talking to people, I would argue that the Republicans won't talk to the people, they'll listen to the people, because what you got right now is from Aftam and the Democrats on council, and the share law is they keep talking to the people, telling them what they need to think, telling them why not just sit there and listen to the people. And I think that that's the difference. You know, people like Aftab are from this job around, from this attitude that they're the smartest people in the room and they are telling you what to think and if you think otherwise, you don't know what you're talking about. That is their attitude. And I think, you know, thankfully we've got some good people running for city council who appreciate that people have good common sense and good solutions at times, and sometimes it's just sitting there being quiet and listening. You have problem with politicians and you put a microphone in front of them, they almost want to monopolize that microphone for themselves. Sometimes it's like hand the microphone to the next person, listen to them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the people running for council is Chris Smithman. Yeah, and he's been there before. And Chris Smithman has been seeing what's been going on, not just with the police chief, but a whole series of things. And he got to the point where he said, you know what, I got to step up. I can go back in there. I can bring some common sense to all these proceedings. I've been there before. I know what I'm doing. And Chris Smitheman didn't need to run for city council. No, I mean this. You talk about a guy who feels a sense of civic duty.
Speaker 2: Well, and I really think that's what's driving him.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know, I'm good friends with Chris Smitherman personally, so full disclosure there. But you know, you go back to what I described, like Geene Ruleman and Ted Berry caring about the city, and that was it. Chris Smitherman's in that category. I think. So Christopher is not looking for a higher office, not looking to grandstand. He's looking out for the city of Cincinnati, and that's the positive. And that's when you get people like that. And there are a few other people we can talk about running in that category. I think that will make the change, you know, onto un city council at least, you know, and hopefully in the mayor offs. I think Corey Bowman, you know, is concerned about the city as well well.
Speaker 1: And and Liz Keating, I think the time that she spent on city council, right, she she brought a voice of reasonableness to city council. And then look and she worked across the aisle on a lot of different issues, right, And I remember there there were times stuff that I didn't necessarily agree with. But you know what he did is she came on, she came on my show, she came on this rate all with with this radio station, a lot of different shows, and you ask her what, you know, why did you do what you did? And she would say, well, here's why, and boom boom boom, and she'd explain. You could hold an intelligent conversation. She didn't run from it, didn't try to hide from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the other other former council member running Steve Gooden as well, Steve Steve's was on council and was running again. And interesting if you look at the Smitherman Keating good and you know Trio, you have an independent, you have a Republican, and you have a charter right there you go, And you know what I can see. I know, you know, I know all three of them. They'll work well together, you know. And they're not it's not political ideog ideogs in this. And you know, in a certain sense of people, if you really think about it, you know, this whole Democrat Republican shouldn't really matter when it comes to the City of Cincinnati positics. People are generally Republicans or Democrats because of national politics.
Speaker 1: Well, the one thing that Chris Smitherman talks about, and I think really the parties ought to be talking about it a little bit more, uh is and and if you look at the Hamilton County UH sample ballot, UH they talk about vote for only three members of council. Yes, Chris Smitheman says, vote for maybe four or five that you like because because of the top nine vote getters get in. So and he makes a good point that if if you if you vote for nine, your vote gets watered down a little bit. If you vote for only three or four or five, then your vote has a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Now if you, yeah, really vote for the people, and that's important. You know, it is a field race, and you're part of the field race. Aspect is you don't have to vote for all number of votes that you are allowed up to nine and for citiz Cincinnati City Council, because think about it, if I vote want three people, really I vote for those three and I stop because I would hate for my person to lose by one vote, and that one vote was the that was the fourth or fifth vote I did on my ballot, right, you don't want that, you and you know it's almost that in a certain sense, doubling your vote. If you don't vote, if you vote for three or four as opposed to nine, you're almost doubling your vote because you' not giving votes to other candidates who might slip by your really preferred candidates. And that's the way to do these races, you know. And interesting when you have these field races, it doesn't take all that many votes to win. You don't have to be number one vote getter's top nine vote geters. And you know what they call the person who got the most votes versus the person who came in number nine, councilman, council member. That's it same. So it's no difference. And you know, you look at the past numbers. Back in four years ago, twenty twenty one, there were about thirty two thirty three people running. You know, the number nine vot geter was list keating with sixteen seven hundred votes in the city of Cincinnati. So there you go, that's doable on and with twenty six people running, it opens it up a lot. It's not ten people running with we have two years ago, which then then it was just people part of voting the Democrat Party slate Jared Amelia, how are you tonight? Hey? Jim?
Speaker 9: Is this y?
Speaker 2: Yeah? This is you, Jim. What's going on?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 9: Did you hear that interview with the police chief's brother with cunning had today?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've I've heard.
Speaker 1: I've heard him on a couple of times, and he is he is the one a great job, I think speaking on behalf of his sister.
Speaker 9: But he was talking about disrespect and.
Speaker 2: Then there's a lot of that going on.
Speaker 9: And a couple of weeks ago, Counningham prepared the police chief like some Dutch boy paint, saying on a paint can do you remember that?
Speaker 2: No? I don't, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I don't remember Cunningham comparing the police chief to the dutch boy paint. Can I don't. I don't think that's happening. Look teresag to my way of thinking. She there was a couple of them, and we talked about this earlier a couple of times when she didn't do herself any favor by the comments that she made. But I think when you look at the body of work that she has put in as police chief, really, I really don't know how you can how you can find fault with She wouldn't have been the police chief as long as she has been if she was not trying to work within the guidelines that this administration later or.
Speaker 2: The restrictions that I guess restriction is a better word.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: And the thing is with the police chief is yeah, you even agree or disagree. Maybe you had big criticism the way Aftab and share a long city manager have handled this has been just a textbook of how what not to do well.
Speaker 1: The other component of this is that the mayor has not, to my knowledge, has not made any overtures or any effort at all to talk with the judges in Hamilton County and say, look, we need you to keep these people locked up, be.
Speaker 2: More serious, be more get rid of your progressive politics. But the protat has not has not gone problem. Understand, the Democrat Party nationally and the Democrat Party locally has become has been hijacked or taken over by that anti police, rehabilitative justice whatever that means. That that no bonds, low bonds.
Speaker 1: I want you to figure out what that because I was going to ask you what that means, restored restored justice.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not with an answer. It's not your fault. That's what it means. It's not your fault. All right, Well, I think about that again. We'll have a coherent answer on that on the other side. But we got to get to a break right now. Ten twenty five. It is the Thursday night edition of the Midweek Crisis on seven hundred WW.
Speaker 2: This is Jeff for tri statement.
Speaker 1: Back on the Big One seven hundred W l W ten thirty eight. This is the Thursday night edition of the midweek Crisis, Dan Carrol, Kurt Hartman hanging out and talking about election and we're looking looking at the judges right now. You know, there's our buddy. Andrew Pappus says all the time that you really need to when it comes to elections, even though this is an off year election. There you know you're not voting for president. You know, we don't have a governor's race. I don't think we have any state issues on the ballot. He always talks about your MIC's not on there, you go there, you got I am here, I heard you and no one else here. But he always makes the point that local elections are the most important ones and you really need to get out of effect.
Speaker 2: You on a day to day Basi's more so than any other election, but so much.
Speaker 1: When I talked to Ken Kober, the head of the FOP, our conversation almost every single time turns to the frustration that Cincinnati police have because of people who commit crimes, go into the system and then get let out to do.
Speaker 2: What to commit more crime? Yeah, And.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is it seems to me that this was not the way things were fifteen.
Speaker 2: Or twenty or thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: It seems to me that you and we were joking about it before we went to the break about that. You know, we have so many of these judges who believe in this restorative justice or whatever that term is. And it's how does this kind of thinking make its way into people who wind up on the bench.
Speaker 2: Because if you really look, and it's true across academia, in the universities, in law schools, I really think in over the past decades, since the late nineteen sixties, there's been this systemic infiltration of the universities by the far left Marxists. They become the educators. They then throw these concepts out. You know when I when I was in law school in the early nineties, you know, we already had those classes law and the law and the women with law. In this law it's really not how to practice law. It was more this attitude towards the law. But it should be. But when you get when you got Marxist who are anti American, dead set on undermining and really overthrowing the American system, the Western civilization, they start propagandizing this and they started at the undergraduate level. You go to graduate school, when you get it there and you know, it creates the you know, law is white privilege, Law is creating victims out of you, et cetera, as opposed to law is yearning. Yeah, not perfect, but the yearning in terms of equality and equal opportunity, equal treatment. They don't see it as that. And again it goes back to I really believe it goes back to in aspects of power, when governmental political and governmental power over other people's lives. And so when you go through a system like that, you know, and you create this brainwashing in doctor nation, whatever you want to call it, you get those people out in the legal profession. You know, I need to upset, be disruptive of what used the law to be a disruptor because it's racism, it's patriarchy, it's you know, use whatever cliche phrase they use. And then you get people. We get that. Like I said, the Democratic Party today both nationally and locally, has been taken over or is now the progressive wing of that party that is the mainstream Democratic Party, and they put forth people for these offices, both on city council as well a it's on the bench that have this attitude that I'm here to change the whole system, right, you know, as opposed to improving the system. They don't want to improve the system, they want to change the system. But who does that serve though? I think about that, and I have no doubt that there was a time in this country when minorities, black individuals, or if you were a non white person, they had their their time in court. And I think there's probably a lot of defendants who got railroads certain in different ways.
Speaker 1: I'll agree with you absolutely, but and I think a lot of those issues have been addressed. I would imagine there are pockets of it where it happens. I like to think that it didn't happen that much in Hamilton County, at least in the in the experience. And I like to think that we've been lucky. And I talked to uh uh to uh some different judges about this over over the time, over time, and I think we've been lucky in Hamilton County that we've had a lot of people who took people at the courthouse, you know, judges and prosecutors who took their job seriously and you know, didn't provide any favors for those who were connected and then didn't screw people over who you know, weren't part of a certain class a.
Speaker 2: Day, didn't meets a certain check mark. State boxes justice.
Speaker 1: Really, I think we we strove to have justice really be blinds. But but but if if you have, if you have all these past wrongs and then and then you have defendants come before you today, how does it serve those who were wronged in the past by cutting a brake or being lenient to those who commit crimes today? And a perfect example is this dude, Shaquille Ferguson. He was in court today and there's going to be He's going to be held on I mean no bond. Okay, So Shaquille Ferguson violated his probation on a on a felony conviction just three months ago. So this dude was convicted of a felony three months ago, and yet he's free to run around Fountain Square and open fire into a restaurant and only by the grace of God, no one was no one was killed in that shooting. But you know, how does it serve how does it serve you know, the people of Cincinnati well or Hamilton County that this guy, after being just convicted on a felony conviction is out running the streets.
Speaker 2: Well, let me experience from the bench, right, Yeah, I was recent actually, I was recently talking to one of my former colleagues who's still on the bench about this recently, and this judge that pointed out and it was true when I was there is you know, there's the state law. We're bound by as judges to follow the law. And the law you know, everybody who's convicted of a felony doesn't get sent to prison. Yeah, when I when I was there, you know, we have five levels of felonies, first, second, third, fourth, and fifth degree felonies. When I was on the bench, if you got convicted of a fourth or fifth degree felony, which are the lower level felonies, there was a presumption that you should be based placed on probation. And it was really difficult, nearly impossible, if you will, to send somebody like that to prison for a fourth or a fifth degree felony was a presumption you place them on probation. Third degree felony. At that time, it was neither presumption first or second degree felony presumption to send them to prison. So depending upon what they're convicted of as a felony, matters there since I've been there. There was a program in I don't have the details, but t CAP where the state was even putting more restrictions on the ability of judges to send people to prison, to be honest with you, and part of it is the sentencing structure in state law handicaps the judges in certain instances that even on a third degree felony, now it is difficult to send somebody to prison because that's what the law mandates, and that the Prison Bureau of Prisons will not be taking people in those instances. So just because they're convicted of felony again, you got to get better fact what their history is. You've got to develop what their whole history is. But you know, person point judge pointing out to me, if somebody comes before them, you know, having a what we call having a weapon that's under disability, that they have a prior felony conviction, if that felony conviction was they as a juvenile, that's all you know. You have no clue. You cannot get any records or information about what their juvenile record was other than they were had this juvenile adjudication, and you have no clue. The violent whether it's violent or not, whether a gun was involved, and that becomes a third degree felony, and they can't and they're getting that prep all those records expunge. Now juvenile records not expunge, but they're sealed or they're you can't get out, you can't, there's limited access. You you can know what they what they were convicted of or Adjudicated's not a conviction in juvenile called they were adjudicated delinquent based on this type of offense. But that's about it. That all they know. And so the information they have if they come as a twenty year old in front of the judge having this weapon because and can't have a weapon because of their juvenile judication, that's all the judge knows. And that's really not enough under the law to send them to prison. And so part of the the structure is what the General Assembly, the legislative state legislature has dictated to the judges. So the fact that you know the fact that what the real issue comes in, and this is where the municipal court races are important, is setting bonds when they are arrested before their conviction. You know, we got a lot of judges. A lot of the liberal progressive judges on the municipal court bed which where the bonds are set, are very deferential. Just you promised to come back to court, Okay, no bond or one hundred dollars or a ten percent bond, and they're in and out. And that's you know, And that's why these municipal court races here in the off years that are coming up are so important, because those are the judges that do the initial appearance, the initial arraignment, set the bonds initially. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it was Berklewooz who was on with Cunningham a couple of weeks ago, and he was talking about all the empty beds at.
Speaker 2: The Hamilton count Justice Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that used to I know a few years ago it was Todd. They were talking about how they've got crowd Yeah, over crowded. You've got you know, three or four or five dudes in a cell that was built for two or three.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But he and back then and that's not the case. That's not the case. But back then it's like, you know, you can't send everybody one. There's the presumption of innocence if you're accused of a crime. You're presumed innocence, but there are other factors that go into it, the seriousness of the charge, the strength of the evidence against the person. Uh, you know, in public safety, you know, you know, and part of that obligation is on the prosecutors to know about the case. One time, and I was doing how many how many crimes are on video?
Speaker 1: When when I heard that Marty Brennaman's statue, yes, was was vandalized it Great American Ballpark over the weekend. The first thing I said, I said, They've got to have video cameras down there. They've got to have surveillance cameras down there. And then sure enough, twelve hours later, here's the video of the dude, you know, some thirteen year old kids breaking a statue down there.
Speaker 2: But I saw the mother said keep him in. The mother the old saw I thank you, mom. I just saw a headline or something on a story on that. Thank you mom. Yeah, thank thank you.
Speaker 10: But you know, no, no, and you know, and you know, I've set bonds before when I was on the bench and you know, doing arraignments, and every now and then it's like, okay, the one time, I remember one guy had an attorney with him and his attorneys arguing for a lower bond.
Speaker 2: Oh we want this, And it's like I opened the rule that said, here's factors a b C D to consider, and one of those factors was the strength of the evidence. I do the prosecutor, what evidence do you have? I don't know, Judge, And it's like, wait a minute, that's one of the factors I'm supposed to consider in terms of setting bond. And you don't know. Well, when the prosecution says, I don't know, Judge, that's that's a problem exactly. And I gave guy you know, and then you know, I remember another you know, and I remember another time I d got request to reduce bond. I said, remember this mother comes in. Uh, I forget if she was worked. I think she worked either for the I think she worked for the federal government, either Post office or or something like that. And she comes in and she's like, Judge, he's the black sheep of this family. I got two good daughters, ones in the military, ones who I'm trying. But she was a very responsible mother, and I reduced the bond. But because I trusted the mother, and it worked out fine. But you know, so you've got a factor. You can't send everybody who's arrested just to hold them in jail till they go to trial, you know, because that underminds presumption of innocence. But you've got to fake way these facts and it's difficult as a judge, It is difficult, and you know, I know.
Speaker 1: But it just seems like it gets to the point where not everyone is on the same team.
Speaker 2: I agree with you there, the consistency, the standards, the expectations.
Speaker 1: I know so many police officers who are on the street who are constantly running in and arresting the same people over and over.
Speaker 2: And over again.
Speaker 1: That yeah, and they and they go in front of whatever judge in Hamilton County, throw down a hundo and they're on their way out the door.
Speaker 2: Hey, you were out on bond and then you committed another crime and now you're back and for it. Bam, your bond's.
Speaker 1: Higher and you cut off your ankle monitor and and you know it's no one knew about it.
Speaker 2: I agree that that, you know, you know, it's kind of one one for me, one shame on you for me, twice shame on me. That's kind of the attitude. Yeah, I had you. Like I said, you want to be respectful of that presumption of innocence. You want to try to apply the rules and the standards they give you. And you know that's that's the way the system should work. It's not perfect, you know, I mean, Heaven forbid, you know, and your part in the back of your mind, you always well, if I let this guy out on bond, is he what if he goes and does something? You see? I mean, just what you just said.
Speaker 1: It seems to me that a lot of judges don't take that into consideration at all.
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 1: This person's going to get out and go and recaving somewhere else. You want to hear from one of my favorite callers, Yes I do, Alice and Clairemont County Alice, How are you tonight?
Speaker 5: Very well? Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 2: As always, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I just said you're one of my favorite callers. Do you feel good about that?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 5: And your show is appointment listening.
Speaker 2: You're the best. See why she's one of my favorite Where are you from in Claremont County, Alice? What part of Claremont County, Amelia? That's the area I grew up decades ago.
Speaker 5: And yes, I left Cincinnati when I saw the direction the city was going in. Uh, And I'm proud of that decision. Now, question, we have all these juveniles who are running around and they've been given curfews, they've had midnight basketball, art and craft classes, and I'm wondering, why can't the parents be brought in to be held responsible. These kids are a result of poor parenting. Why can't bring the parents in and hit them in pocket books? Parents have to be responsible. They brought them into the world.
Speaker 6: Parents.
Speaker 1: I know that's been talked about from time to time. Is that is there is there a way to make that work in reality? Is there a way that you think that something like that could work to really hard I'm.
Speaker 2: Thinking thinking there Alice Partially, I mean when you have when they go through the juvenile court system. I never I don't practice in juvenile court. Uh. But you know, the parents should be there as part of the case. And I would expect, I would hope, but I'm not convinced with at least one of our juvenal court judges. That's something. Sometimes it's not lecturing the juveniles, it's lecturing the parents. I'm kind of putting standards on the parents there and then and you know, you know, you're kind of a family judge. You're fine kind of trying to do this, you know, but also on you know, on the counterview, and I agree with Alice in terms of parents need to be helped be responsible. I'm also cautious that I don't want the government always coming in and telling a parent how to parent either, because that's a that's a slipper, that's a slippery, slippery slope. I'm sorry, you know, I mean in some places not I think in Oregon and Washington State. Maybe you know, it's child abuse if your child wants to change gender and you, as a parent, say no, because the government is coming in and saying we know what's best for your child, You, the parent, don't coming and that's that s the pretty and you know it's it's like so it's a fine line. You know, how much do you tell the parent you're not being a good parent. You and I might see it, but you know, and it's saying you don't want people the right to make mistakes. But it's sad and it's problematic when parents are making the mistakes and how the raising children it's one thing when they make the mistake and effects only themselves. So but I think in terms of the juvenile court system, I think we need to be more aggressive. I think we get this attitude of well, you're only a child, you don't understand. I'm sorry. You know, kids younger and younger they get they are smarter and smarter each each year.
Speaker 1: We go along right and sometimes not in a good way. Alice, we got to run, we got to get to a break. But as always, I appreciate you listening. I appreciate you picking up.
Speaker 6: The thank you, thank you out.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 1: So Alice and Claremont County, uh, one of my absolute favorites.
Speaker 2: Ten fifty five. We got to get to a break.
Speaker 1: News coming up top of the hour, but we roll on till midnight tonight on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 11: Ghost are for costumes, not hiding in your air ducks and lurking throughout your home. Who knows the amount of dustin pollute WU.
Speaker 2: It's eleven oh seven, man, this night is flying right by.
Speaker 1: It's the Thursday night edition of the Midweek Crisis. Dan kle or Kurt Hartman with you till midnight tonight talking elections. I am not on the air between now and election day.
Speaker 2: So I had to do it tonight.
Speaker 1: Otherwise, if people didn't listen to me, how would they know who to vote for?
Speaker 2: How would they know? How would they know?
Speaker 1: How would they know who to vote for? It was like when I was in TV and it would snow, and then you go outside and sell people. Hey, it's snowing outside, tell me something, you know. The one thing when I was on TV when it when it was snowing outside, I never told people and I never said, hey, uh, you know, stay home if you if you can stay home. I never said that because it's it's it's not up to me to tell you to stay home. They what I would say, though, I would say, look, you gotta this is one of those days the snow was really bad. I would say, this is one of those days where you have to evaluate yourself as a driver if you drive. If you're a good driver in the snow, then then have at it. But if you're not good, then then think about it before you go out. Is how I would I would set it up.
Speaker 2: However, I think I'm pretty good driver in the snow. That's not my that's not my criteria. My criteria is how are the other drivers? That's what I'm that's my favor.
Speaker 1: It's like, if you're a bad driver, be honest, if you look, I'm not a good driver in the snow, then no shame in staying home.
Speaker 2: But if only if only good drivers went out in the snow, I would be fine. The fact is, I know bad drivers in the snow go out in the snow, and.
Speaker 1: That's what concerns me. So that that kind of brings us full circle. We started talking about the snowplows. You know, we thought the snow flows were going to be the major issue this year, but it turned out, you know, crime and punishment and all that, all that stuff, and now we got complete chaos at city hall. It's an absolute mess, and the city manager is completely incompetent. I don't think there's any question about that. So so we were talking about judge. So let me let me take you at one point on that.
Speaker 2: Just come up. I agree with your city manager is incompetent. We have nine members on city council. Have any of them called her out for her incompetence? Have any called out for her resignation? No?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, not none. To my way of thinking. You've got all the these nine members of council. You've got Albie Kramerding, Jeffrey, Scottie Johnson. Love you, Scottie Johnson, but you gotta go, brother jam Michelle lemon Kearney, Seth Walsh, meek Owens. See you get him out of there. It's not working. You need a change. Get him out of there. So I I am not endorsing any of them for a counsel. I'm endorsing Smitherman. I'm gonna endor endorse Keating. I like, I like Stephan Pryor. To Stephan Pryor. Look, this is the guy I met Stephan Pryor. Uh three or four years ago. I'm driving through Avondale and I see a sign in a person's yard and the sign reads, teach your son not to kill my son. I've already taught my son not to kill yours. And I'm thinking, man, that is a provocative sign. Hey, this this is a and and I said, I got to find out who put that sign out and get him on the show. And it turns out with Stephan Pryor, who was the son of Aaron Pryor the Hawk. Yes, and So I've had Stephan on the show a number of times. And this is a guy who who who walks the walk. He's been out on the street working with young people, trying to convince him that there's a better way to settle your arguments, settle your disputes than then picking up a gun. And he's done things like he he'll he'll have kids go up to Eden Park and in the in the reflecting pool there, he'll they'll they'll do radio controlled boats. And I mean he's put boxing events together. He's done all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 2: He walks the wall. He does he doesn't talk to talk, he walks the way. He's out there on the street.
Speaker 1: And I remember when when the city came up with these auditioning different initiatives to try and come back gun violence, and I and they, I don't know. They had some couple of guys came in from California and said, oh, we got this great plan, you know, and it's only going to cost you fifty or sixty thousand dollars and pay us his money and we'll put this play. They didn't do anything. And I said, why didn't they talk to you? You're out there, you're talking with the kids on the street. You know what, you know what's going on. But no, they didn't want to talk to a guy like him.
Speaker 2: Because it goes back to my comment the last last half hour. We got these people in city Hall who talk to people. We're the smartest people. We're telling you what you need to think and do as opposed to listening to people. And that's that's reiterates that point.
Speaker 1: The Republican endorsed candidates for city Council are Gary Favors and Linda Matthews, as well as well as Liz Keith and Liz Keating. I do not so we already endorsed Liz Keating. I do not know anything about Gary Favors.
Speaker 2: What do you know about Linda Linda. I know Linda has been involved in the party, very supportive and been out there and involved. So I think Linda again heart of concern to the community as well. So I think then Linda would be a serious person. Though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the most part, I think we need serious people on city Council.
Speaker 2: I think we need Yeah, I think in a certain sense we need serious people. I think we also need it would be healthy to get different viewpoints on city Council. Yeah, maybe not even people I necessarily agree with one hundred percent or ninety percent of the time. I think you need people are who are going to ask the critical questions, and that's really what I think would be healthy, you know. And again, call out the city manager and call for a resignation if you think she's as opposed to just sit there so docile on city Council and not saying anything because oh we're all Democrats and I'm not allowed to say anything. I'm sorry, people, your priority should be the City of Cincinnati, not your political party, you know, and that's important there, you know, you talk about who else I would point out. I think Steve Gooden would be good to get back to get back back on city Council as well, So you know, there's there's four or five of them out there with that, I think. And like you said, you don't have to vote on nine and shouldn't vote on nine. Put more punch in the four or five votes that you do, not not nine votes. That just waters down your votes. And so I think that and again hopefully people, I'm just sorry people cannot be happy with the statu quo in the City of Cincinnati. It would just it would dumbfound me for people to say things are going right, it's the right direction, and therefore people it is time for a change.
Speaker 1: Please not I would I would like to be talking about something different. Look, I don't talk about the city politics or what happens in the city on every show, but when I do talk about it, it seems like it's always the same thing. I would like to be talking about. When when the street car was happening, I talked about the street car all the time.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 1: Milton Dhoney was a city manager, then what what what a mess?
Speaker 2: That guy was?
Speaker 1: What an absolute carpet begger. He was Josh Burkle at City, County or Municipal Court district. For yes, that's a competitive district that you know in Hamilton Judge's he comes on this radio station dushod with with Cunningham time to time, and the guy's fantastic.
Speaker 2: And he's out there in the community. He's not in this ivory tower of the courthouse, which is it's good you're out there. You kind of know what's going on. You get a feel for what's going on the street. Now, should realize in Hamilton County or municipal court elections are not county wide. So we have districts in Hamilton County for municipal courts. So they got drawn up in the late eighties, early nineties. I'm in Josh Burger Wisha's district. I'm not sure so and so yeah, so what what you had it was basically if a settlement of a Federal Voting Rights Act lawsuit, because back in the eighties and nineties when we were doing elections county wide, we weren't electing any African Americans to any judicial bench. And the kind of did a settlement to get hey, well, set up these districts, and some districts will be so heavily Democrat late eighties, early nineties. Really yeah, okay, I don't know, that's the late late Bill Mallory. Uh. Bill Mallory Senior was well, she's on common please, that's kind of John Westcott on the bench. Those are county wide, and I agree with you know, that's what you do, and you know they're fantasticcomms sense. But so we have these districts. So honestly, some districts are very strong Republican districts, some of the East west Side districts, some districts are very strong Democrats, and then some are kind of leaning one way or the other. Uh to two Republican districts are leaning Republican, but not overly whelmingly. And district for with Judge Burger, which is one of them. But but you know, he he is good, common sense, fair, fair in terms of bond setting, you know, but but recognizes and and it's been on the bench with that experience, you know. You know, interesting if you think about municipal court and you know, I did common pleas did the felony cases. Municipal courts we have the traffic offenses and the municipal and the misdemeanor offenses, you know, but what is the gateway to felony offenses are misdemeanors, Right, People start off and then they build out. And the good what makes a really good municipal court judge is having the defendant there in front of you. They just got convicted of something, and they have to assess is this a one time deal that I'm never going to see this person again, or is this the gateway that they're going to be a perpetual visitor. And that's where the judges of municipal court are so important and needing to have that experience to be able to if you will separate the week from the chaff. This is a one time fine. We'll take care of him and then for see him again versus I need to stop this person before it gets even more serious. And Judge Burke Woods is good in that regard. It's good in terms of setting bonds as well. We talked about that earlier. You know, when do you set a high bond? When don't you set a high bond? Yeah?
Speaker 1: How come there's no common please court. Those are even years, even years on common common pleas. All right, So what then when the common police one's coming around, we'll have to do another one of these.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely when that happens. And we got to get Betsy Sunderman in there. Yeah, she's in a district that's kind of Josh Burke Wish's district is kind of goes from and I'm going to miss them areas at Norwood and kind of neanders out into the eastern suburbs of and Township new Town and then I'm not sure exactly how it manders there. Betsy Sunderman's more in the northeast corner. Simms Township Sycamore Loveland area. So uh, those are the kind of the two areas that are the big contested races for municipal Court this year.
Speaker 1: Mike Peck and District six, Yeah, Central Saint Bernard area. Mike's been on.
Speaker 2: Mike was a prosecutor. He's actually one of the prosecutors, my room prosecutor. When I was on the bench, I got to know Mike very well. They're very good, very professional, does a good job on the bench.
Speaker 1: And then Gwen Bender District seven seven grand and former prosecutor as well. I got a point and then re elected, then elected to the bench, and that's her district. That is I think more than one of those west Side if I will safe Republican district. But you know, they all, all of the judges, all of them have that experience both in terms of private and practice, the private practice whereas prosecutors and on the bench that you really is critical, especially I think on the municipal court bench more even more so than the common Police bench. And then obviously for for mayor, it's it's time what what what the what does Aft tab Purval do if he's not if he's not in office or running for office.
Speaker 2: I will tell you this, if Aft tap pure Vote loses this election, he's got a law I think he's got he's got alaw degree from UC But I will tell you he will find another government job. That's what I find so amazing with people, either with people who are judges and lose the election or whatnot, you know, or you get appointed to something somewhere, some other job. You know, I look at you know, Tom Barredon who beat me and got on the Common Police bench for two years, lost that election.
Speaker 1: That's like more of a party function than anything else, isn't it to when when you if you get voted out of office, then you was all, they'll find a.
Speaker 2: Job for you. But you know, but or they're created. You know the Democrats, and the Democrats took over the Common Policeman, they start creating positions. I mean when I was there, we had we had one magistrate. Now they got like three or four magistrates and they still don't get stuff done. And it's like they just keep creating jobs. They created a job of a public information officer for the Common Police. Cort gave it to some Democrat party hack and could never figure out what she did. She got seventy eighty thousand dollars of a government job, create a job. Yeah, and then she ends up quitting and they never refill the position where she got fired or resigned or all the above. And it's like that's what they especially with the Democrats, that just create more jobs. And so if after word to lose this election, mark my words, he will get some government job somewhere. Now. There was rumors last year that he was looking for a position in the Biden administration, that he was going to leave town because he's not happy as mayor and go off to the Biden administration. Well, thankfully, thankfully that's not available for it. That took a job. The council member who was.
Speaker 1: And then and and then it was and it was it was like a month before the election.
Speaker 2: It was like summer, it was in the summer or something. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: And then and then the election was over, Biden got voted out and that was the end of that job.
Speaker 2: Yes, I remember, I remember who he was.
Speaker 1: Who was I can't remember who that was, but I remember at the time thinking that was, why the heck why he probably not the greatest.
Speaker 2: Reggie Harris Cincinnati Council. Remember Reggie Harris resigns and takes a job in the Biden administration. This was in let me see, this is an article from September of twenty twenty four. So he took a job in the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Yeah, for two months, three months, you know, I mean it. He called a I used to call Reggie up and say, so, how was that? It's on the resume. Now it takes you two to three months to figure out where the bathrooms are? Right, Okay, you figured out where at the Hut office where the bathrooms are. Now, what are you gonna do? So, I mean maybe they were so confident they were gonna win. I don't know, you know, never have you seen those office buildings in d C.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean the outside is some of the ugliest buildings in the world. Some of those different you know, the Department's Department of Labor and you know, Housing and Urban Development and you know whatever other departments are there. So some of them are Yeah, the modern sides are amazing. Yeah, well, you know, the outside look like amazing. When it was I was up in I think it was February of last year. I was up there and went to conference and I was across the river over in Crystal City, which had all these office buildings, and it was amazing to me most of them were empty.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean that's the thing, you know, that, and that it was kind of a legacy of work from home, you know. After with COVID, everything worked from home and until Trump came in. When Trump came in, he finally said, hey, you're coming back into work. I remember people were having conniptions about that. Yeah, oh I got to go back into the office. Oh no. And it was amazing. I mean, I remember I'd been in Crystal City before and then like during the day it was busy and this, and I was there during the work day and busy. It's not busy anymore. It's like nobody's here. It was almost a remember.
Speaker 1: Reading stories about, you know, employees of the federal government who worked in d C but but were able to work from home. They you know, they bought property in Utah or something, and they're doing their job in Utah. Now they got to go back into the elbe I can't travel from Utah.
Speaker 2: Or you had people having two or three full time jobs working remotely. They're working somewhere else. Full time jobs and it's like, oh my gosh. And you know, now with the government shut down, with the federal government, you know, there's actually the Office of Management Budget is looking to basically furlough a lot of employees, saying you're not essential, we don't need you anymore, your positions eliminated. And some federal judge somewhere and said, no, you're not allowed to do that. Let me microman me as a federal judge, micromanage the executive branch of government. Some of these federal judges think they're just in charge of everything. Oh yeah. The worst one was up in Chicago recently. You know, there's been a lot of ICE protest against in all this and conflict and people attacking ICE officers, and so of course the liberals sue the ICE and saying, oh, you've got to let us do this. You can't. And this federal judge and Abiden appointee basically said to the director there in Chicago, not the national director, but you have to wear a body camera wherever you go. Oh, you got to do this, and you got to come in and meet with me every day at four point thirty and report what's happened that day. Every day this is a federal junds reasonable. I mean, I'm sorry. I'm sorry if somebody thinks, as a judge, you should be able to micromanage it that way you said, they say, here's the standards. I expect you to do it, and that's it, and it's self enforcing. If it's not being enforced, but to come in and report every day to the Principal's office if you will. I'm sorry. And you know, people talk about having respect for the rule of Bob forgot judiciary. We got to get to break.
Speaker 1: Decisions like that undermine respect for the rule of that eleven six, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 11: There's no need to be scared of the stains in your carpet when you call zeros.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: It's the Thursday night edition of The Midway Crisis. Dan Carrol, Kurt Hartman and I can't believe we're on the final segment already home stretch. So just let me let me start wrapping this up by standards and if you I want to get on board five one, three seven, the big one, if you want, forget everything else that we talked about tonight. You mentioned the curfew in passing earlier and if if you want one reason not to vote for any member of city council this year, think about this. This is the curfew that was passed. What's the date on this August sixth? Okay, so this date was signed by f Ted Purvle. I was down in Florida when when this thing got passed and I and I had my you know, it popped up on my ex feet. I'm like, oh wow, the city council actually did something past the curfew, and they're getting serious about this. Got to keep kids, you know, off of the because you know the juveniles going crazy down there. Okay, So the curfew eighteen years of age. Then you got to be off the streets by eleven o'clock at night. Okay, and then you read a little bit further. I've got the ordinance right here in front of me. Okay. If and there's there's there's just a few exceptions. If you get busted by police and you're on the streets underage at night, a few they can't touch if you're accompanied by said miner's parent, guardian or other adult. Okay, So you can be under the age of eighteen and and the cops say, hey, you're in violation of the curfew. And then the kid can say, nope, nope, I'm in the company of Well, it's not my parent, it's not my guardian, but it's an adult.
Speaker 2: My adult gang banger friend with me. Yeah, twenty one years old. Check his ID.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm sorry, you're good to go if you're what's an emancipated.
Speaker 2: A teenager emancipated is that they have been declared emancipated from their parents. Yeah, so they are an independent and have all Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if you're emancipated, you're not subject to the curfew if you're exercising your First Amendment right, which.
Speaker 2: Includes the right of association. So I can associate with my gangbanger friends and hey, I'm associated with my bus, I'm with my homeboy over here, and hey, we're all good if we're associating.
Speaker 1: If you're on your way to or from work, they can't bust you for the curfew. If you're attending a school or church at eleven o'clock at night, then they can't bust you for the curfew.
Speaker 2: Matthew, eleven o'clock Mass, if you're well, that's eleven am Mass, not the eleven PM Mass.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I mean, this is if you're running an errand they can't bust you for the curfew.
Speaker 2: I'm running an errand to go buy drugs. Is that account?
Speaker 1: If you're involved in interstate travel through or beginning or terminating in the city, they can't bust you for the curfew. So you can say, hey, I'm I'm on my way to Atlanta. You can't bust me for the curfew. I'm on my way to Detroit with a car full of drugs.
Speaker 2: I'm going to force seventy one to go to Kentucky. Right, I'm driving into Kentucky. That's interstate travel. This is what This is an absolute joke, and we never aways. All nine members and the mayor sign this. All nine members. This was passed unanimously. Do you think there was any debate on it, anybody asked any question? I doubt it.
Speaker 1: But I know if I'm in city council, I'm raising hell about this, and one let's thinking, what are we doing? What kind of This is not a curfew. This is not going to do anything to keep kids off the street, juveniles who are raising hell at the banks.
Speaker 2: Does it get does it get put a quiver in the police to really control. No, it doesn't. No, this is nothing.
Speaker 1: And any kid who knows how to read can read this and say, you know what, Hey, I'm exercising my first Amendment. Right, you can't touch me, and then you're you are free to go and do whatever the hell you want. Right, So that right there is a reason not to vote. So so you combine that with the city manager saying we're gonna put you know, the curfew one on the food trucks is you know you're not you're not packed up and getting out of there by eleven o'clock. Boom, you got a big fine coming your way. But if you're a juvenile company by an adult, you're free to stay. You driving the food truck over there, Come on, Vamus.
Speaker 2: Time to go. I'm just I'm trying to combine the two. If I working, what if I'm a juvenile working at the food truck, I mean, I don't yeah, I'm closing it up at night. I don't know. It's just, you know, it's gimmick greed that that's what we've had for the past four years from this mayor, for the past two years, from this city council. It's just gimmicks, feel good gimmicks. There you go. I mean it was made. I remember, you know, do not vote for one current member of this city. Well, well here here I still remember. This is the mayor. He was trying the part of his little Twitter campaign, you know, all the feel good stuff. He was going to do little clippets of videos from the fifty two communities. Wow, it's okay to talk about Hyde part. Well, it was funny. This is that talk about unconnected to Cincinnati? Right, I talked about John Crowley, the mayor. So he started talking. There was one I saw. I still remember. It was about Oakley, Oakley, this and that and Oakley home of Agla Mesi Bros. That's what he said, you and I know it's take La Mesi Brothers. But the script he had just had b r Os period, right, and the mayor is so disconnected from the city of Cincinnati and its history. He just read to me, bros. Honestly, I almost laughed my head off when he said that. And it's like he has no clue about this city. If you use the word Aggle mec bros. And not knowing it's take La mecI Brothers. That that epitomized him. So I forget that I feared. I wish I could find that thing. I'll find it somewhere. But it was just so do you even get it? He doesn't get it. And people's city of Cincinnati. Yeah, I don't live in the city myself, but you know what, the city is the core for the area, for the Tri state area, and as the city goes, so goes.
Speaker 1: But we don't live in this city, but we want the city to thrive. We want the city to be great, and it benefits everybody, Sure it does. And when it doesn't, drive to hurt everybody. Instead of finding a reason not to come into downtown Cincinnati, I don't want to find a reason to come into downtown Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: It's so easy now that hey, there's a it's something that someone there's there's an event going on in downtown Cincinnati. Got Octoberfest, he got the Reds game, Bengals game, whatever, whatever's going on downtown. And I and I find reasons not to go. And I think there's a lot of people in the suburbs who are just like me that, you know what, it's just easier. Everything I need is out here. Anything.
Speaker 2: I grew up in the suburbs Cincinnati right in the seventies early eighties, and that was a time and I got downtown rarely, right, maybe a ball game sometimes, I know, a big deal. Yeah, And you know I used to collect stamps. I always came down to the post office, Alice little stamp place down there. I take the bus down. That was about the only time I came downtown. But I remember growing up in the seventies and early eighties over the Rhine. The reputation of Over the Rhine was you don't go to Over the Run. Even during the day. You did not go to Over the Rhine, forget at night. Right, And when I was driving, it's like, oh, what happens if I could accidentally make a wrong turn on one of these one way one way roads in Cincinnati and end up in Over the Run. That was the reputation of over the Rhine. And I say this legitimately. It's starting to get that reputation. Even the business district is starting to get that reputation. You don't want to come down this area anymore. It's not as bad, but it's going in that direction, and it's got to be stopped and it's got to be shot, stop and changed with good leadership that we don't have.
Speaker 1: Well, look at what what Jeff Ruby's daughter did. Look what the restaurant owners down there did. They had they had to form their own little coalition and send a letter to the mayor to say and say, look, we're out here, we're we're living this every day. This is this is not a perception. This is reality. And this is our reality. And our reality is is that we're not going to be in business much longer. If things keep going the way they're going. You have to do something.
Speaker 2: But what do we get from the may What do we get from the mayor? It was in August he does a little walking down the sidewalk with a police officer right next to Remember that video. I remember that. That's it. That's it. It's so disconnected from reality and and and it's like, you know, he doesn't it. And again it goes back to not listening to people, not listening to people, what's happening on the street, where you know, rubber meets the road, the boots on the ground. It's this arrogance of I am a art person, I know what's best. This is really where we need to go and as opposed to say, maybe something's not working here. And I hope the people the city of Cincinnati see that. And it's like I wanted to thrive to like you do. Like most people here, we wanted to thrive. We want to be thrive and be safe. And it's not going in that direction.
Speaker 1: And at least Bill cunning you know, when when Charlie Lucan was married, Charlie Lucan would come on talk with Bill Cunningham, John Cranley would come on, and they didn't see eye to eye on every issue, but you know what, they would talk about what's happening with the city, what's going on, what they're going to do about things to you know, have a couple of laughs by the end of the by the end of the interview, and and and it didn't it didn't necessarily mean they were getting on the same page with each other, but they were talking about what.
Speaker 2: Was going on.
Speaker 1: Charlie, how many times as I have to have Purval been on the on this radio station, submitted himself to all by me or Scott Sloan or Bill Cunningham or Eddie and Rocky.
Speaker 2: But here here's the difference. Charlie Lucan as mayor. John Cranley as mayor had substantive things they were proposing and trying to move. Yes, this mayor and four years in office, I don't know what substantive thing to truly improve the city he has offered anything proposal. We know the city council would rubber stamp whatever you poke.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you know, I mean he's been a bunch of ribbon cutting ceremonies. He got little it's this project over here, and you got the the convention Center is going on and he's going to try and take credit for that.
Speaker 2: Exactly River incoming feel good stuff, but nothing of substance. For four years, we've had nothing of substance. John Cranley as mayor had substance. Charlie Lucan had substance. This guy has none of it. I mean, you know, we get national and that we made national news with him twice, one with the recent brawl of downtown and second of all when he became mayor.
Speaker 7: JABBRONI mag remember that, you know it was I remember, I remember when he was talking smack and that was before the Bengals went to Kansas City.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly that was it, And I think it was. Travis Kelch calls him out, you know I didn't. That's keep your mouth shut, is what he said. Yeah, I mean that, that's it he talks. That's how he talks back, because again, that was a tweet, that was a little video whatever.
Speaker 1: And and all I know is that if that beatdown would have happened when John Cranley was in office, he would have been front and center. He would have been front and center at every news conference, every every meeting.
Speaker 2: Not turning a news conference over over into race baterers saying we we only see black people. We want white people indicted in charge, John Cranley. John Cranley would have worked with the governor to accept substantive help from the state of Ohio to put to stop this crap that's going on, as opposed to brushing off the governor.
Speaker 1: How disappointing was that when when these city council members got behind this, Hey we need to see someone, someone white, get some charges on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that.
Speaker 1: I almost forgot about that until you just brought that up. What a what an absolute low light that was. Yeah, it was pandering.
Speaker 2: It's not leadership, it is pandering. You know the governor was willing to give significant support to get a control of the situation, and heaven forbid, the mayor says, no.
Speaker 1: We'll take a few os P two days a month, and now they've got it up to four days a month for traffic cars?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? But you know part of the part. I don't think the bad guys know that. You know, and you know, and you know what what do the rank and file up police officers thing? Those who are walking the beat?
Speaker 1: The ones I talked to said they'd be happy to have force my force multultiplier exactly.
Speaker 2: But think about the recruitment classes too, you know, I think they're trying to diminish the size of the police department by or like getting more people to retire and not feeding enough into the system. You know, I would love to talk to some of the recruits. People who signed up. Why why did you were you hesitant? What made what made you decide? People who thought about it and said no, I'm not signing up with the City of Cincinnati. How many people have we lost? Your good you know, men and women who would be fine police officers saying I don't want to go there. I'll look at jobs elsewhere. No, Yeah, they might want to be a law enforcement officer, but not with the city of Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: The people who are in the police academy these days are are the ones who are pretty hardcore, the ones who really feel that that internal calling. I really want to be part of a police force that is going to do good for the people that they're going to.
Speaker 2: I would guess I don't have a basis. So people who really love the city, Yeah, but the numbers aren't there. I don't think that I would be curious how the numbers keep diminishing and I don't have the pres There's not enough incentive there for someone who might be on the fence and say, you know what, let me go, let me check this out and see if this is going to work for me.
Speaker 1: If they're on the fence, they're they're not going to make that step to go and then spend a couple of weeks in the accounty and say, you know what, this is the right thing for me, because they're making that decision before they even check it out.
Speaker 2: And part of it is, you know, the cops who are there now and those who are looking to get it. You also want to know that the political leadership has your back, and I don't think that this administration and with the attitude towards law enforcement that.
Speaker 1: Well, at that point is exactly a point I talked to Ken Kobra about when this whole thing with the police chief started breaking and I and I said, we've we've heard the city manager say it, We've heard the mayor say it that they have the back of our police department. But in reality, they know that.
Speaker 2: It's not They know it's not there. You know, it's lack of leadership. I mean, what they do is they let Iris Rollie run roughshod over the police and then pay her how much, you know, enter into be you know, tens of thousands of dollars so that she gets she gives money to her.
Speaker 1: But we can spend a whole show talking about the way that the chimney she's carved out a nice kig for herself. You know, you want, they're gonna pay her four hundred grand over three or four years, and she can spend money however she wants and hire whoever she wants and.
Speaker 2: Go about harassing the police as they try to do their job for the community.
Speaker 1: All Right, we got a five seconds left, Kurt, we got to go. Thanks for hanging out. Election on Tuesday. Get out there and vote it out and vote. Very important and hopefully a week from now we're talking about a new mayor for the city of Cincinnati. But thanks for being here. We got to run. We'll see you next time on the hull of the reds vote, Get out and vote on Tuesday on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: It's Addie.
Speaker 12: More and more of these days, people in pain are looking beyond traditional medicine and finding lasting relief without steroids, medications, or surgery. Look right here in Cincinnati at QC Kinetics for the answer. Your blood contains tiny but mighty healing tools. At QC Kinetics, that air medical team gets to the root of where your pin stems from, right down to the cells involved. By putting these natural elements to work, your body can revitalize your joints literally, using your own power to heal. It's simple injection, no hospital, stay fast, all natural, and there's no downtime. If your bag, knees, or shoulders are keeping it from enjoying life, explore all your options before you agree to more pills or surgery. Call QC Kinetics today. To take charge of your health and look beyond the same old, same old solutions. Your first consultation is free, so there's no reason to wait. Call QC Kinetics now. Five one three eight four seven zero zero nineteen. Five one three eight four seven zero zero nineteen. That's five one three eight four seven zero zero nineteen.
Speaker 2: I turned off news altogether. I hate to say it, but I don't trust much of any