Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Mookie, Bets, had a chance to catch up with him earlier today. Here is our one on one conversation with four time World Series champion Mookie Bets. I think guys are starting to get tired of me. It's that time of spring training. It's only been two weeks. Guys are getting tired of me. But my guy, Mooki Bets, has taken some time for us and I appreciate that. Hey, not bad, four rings, looking for a fifth. Thank you for the time and great to see you out here again.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, that's how you know we love you though, because we were messing with you, you know, every time you stepped foot around us. So it's good to see you again.
Speaker 1: Hey. I know you said this is the first normal spring training you've had with the Dodgers, and I was thinking about it, and you're right. You go back to twenty twenty and twenty one, the pandemic cut things a little bit different, and then obviously you've had to go on these trips to Tokyo and Korea. How does it feel to just ease into the season.
Speaker 3: It's kind of weird. It's kind of weird. I forgot what it feels like. So, you know, I'm really this is really the first time I get to kind of take my time. Usually I'm ramped up and fully ready to go right now. So you know, fortunately I'm at the stage in my career where I can kind of take my time and whatnot, and so I'm gonna see how it works.
Speaker 1: How does it feel coming off back to back World Series Championships and to have the same core group of guys with you to try to go for this three pet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think just that and itself means so much. You know, usually after stuff like this, you know, teams kind of break apart, guys want to go get their money or whatever it is, right, But no, not this group. This group is it's almost likely kind of will do everything to stay together, you know, because you never really get an opportunity to love coming to work as much as we do, love each other as much as we do, and love playing as much as we do. So very rarely have you do you see in sports all three of those things? And we got it.
Speaker 1: I asked Miguel Rojas about this, what you guys are on the verge of trying to accomplish making history. A lot of people weren't even born the last time a team won three in a row. But he said, you guys are embracing that and not shying away from it. Is that the way you've gone about it the last couple of years, and is that the way you guys have to approach it this year, not shy away from success?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I would say so, you know, having the hav an opportunity to win every year, you know, having those expectations, that's a blessing in itself, and then being able to we were ready to come through twice just to have this type of opportunity. I mean, people don't even get this opportunity whether we do it or not. And so obviously we obviously we're we're embracing it and we know what's here. And it's not like it's, you know, anything, it's a huge thing. It's a history, and so the only way to kind of get through that is just embrace and understand the battle and then figure out how to attack it.
Speaker 2: Muki.
Speaker 1: Everybody seems to always want to focus on individual numbers, but the reality is, ever since you came to the Dodgers. All they've done is win. How much pride do you take in that? Because when they traded for you, that was the goal, and you're on a roll right now, even starting in twenty twenty. What does that mean to be considered a winner?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Obviously that's why we play, you know, that's why we play. I want to be a winner. I mean, obviously, you know, individual accolades are a great thing, right, but it doesn't mean anything unless unless you're winning, you know, and so you know, obviously hasn't been just me. You know, we've had some great teams here and they were winning before I got here. But you know, you know, with show Hey coming over, I mean you can argue that, you know, he's the number one reason why, which is amazing me. Shoot out, I'll take it, I'll take it. But you know, just being being what I feel like, I'm a winner, and I feel like coming to winning organization with a lot of guys in here who are winners or aspire to be winners, it's just a really good match.
Speaker 1: A lot of these people don't remember or have short memories, but I remember your first spring training with the Dodgers, how you demanded guys to practice like it was the game. You had the jar and here you are, you got four or five different shortstop gloves, get ready to go before anybody else. Do you feel like that tone has been set again this spring?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I mean that's that that tone I think since since then hasn't really hasn't really left, and so you know, that's that's that's just kind of what it is. That's the way we'll we will get through this h this history. This is how we'll create the history is just by taking every day one one day at a time, one ground ball at a time, and making it to where we don't know the difference. I think that's the beauty of this team is we don't know the difference between pressure no pressure, because if we view it all the same, it's the same. It's the same. So when it got down late in the season last year, it wasn't a panic. It wasn't like we needed to play harder or do this more. It was like, no, we just play our game. I mean, it's the same thing we've been doing all year. And so I think that was a beautiful, beautiful thing about that last year and now just the culture we have, Hey, Mookie.
Speaker 1: Speaking of all that where you guys practice and then it shows up in Game seven of the World Series. What about in the NLDS against the Phillies, the whole wheel play? All that is the wheel play in practice in spring training? Or is that just instincts as the season goes on.
Speaker 3: That's just instincts, That's just instincts. We have a good veteran group here, and we've seen the game so much. We know a lot of things about this game. And so that was just us kind of Doc trusting us to help him. You know, he helps us so much and puts us in so many spots to win. So that was our way to, uh to kind of do it for him.
Speaker 1: All right, before I let you go, you got new tequila Providencia and also you got a new glove line. Yeah, can kids go out and buy that for the Little league season?
Speaker 2: Yet? Ah?
Speaker 3: That best two V can?
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't talk about it just yet. You know, we'll, Uh, we've got a little time here. I'm just testing out some gloves right now. Let's just to see how it's going to play out. So, uh, stay tuned and I'll make sure you.
Speaker 1: Know, I feel like the real test would be a skinny, fat guy like myself. If I could catch a baseball with your glove. I think it's meant for everybody.
Speaker 3: We'll get you on and we'll find out.
Speaker 2: Sir.
Speaker 1: Hey, Mooky, great to see you, Awesome to have you back for this, for this run. And man, it's not a Dodger season without Mookie Bets, that's for sure. And he's got that twenty one on the back of his hand in spring training.
Speaker 3: Sick. It's sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I saw Kursh with it when I first got here, so I always said I want to one, and I got it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, sir.
Speaker 1: And you got rings more to come. Thank you, Mooky.