Speaker 1: Hey, very delightful, good evening to you, and welcome into the Budwiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by u DF. We are live the bet MGM Sportsbook inside Tom's Watch Bar here at the Banks with jim Day. I'm Tommy throw a lot to talk about in the world of Reds Baseball today. We'll be talking Reds Baseball with you for the next hour. Give us a call five one, three, seven, four, nine hundred, the big One. We'll take your phone calls a little bit later on. We've got plenty to talk about. We'll talked about the Reds Hall of Fame in museum balloting that's out right now for the next class of the Red's Hall of Fame. The Reds added a player to the roster today and we've got a lot to get to. We've also got Andre Rabbit coming up on the show. So an exciting show and it's going to be a packed one.
Speaker 2: Jimmy always love to talk to Andrew Abbott when obviously he's a great pitcher, but a good dude to talk to, and upping the intelligence on this show immediately.
Speaker 1: No doubt, no doubt. You know, there's a little story of about the intelligence of and Rabbit. Jim and I were trying to figure out how to get into the ballpark through the security systems. They changed it, I guess last year. I think at some point and I was walking in for an event with Andrew, and these new boxes had been on the walls by the doors and by the gate where we come into the parking garage. And I always thought we just had to call him on our phone because the buttons were gone. He goes, no, you just pressed the button. I said, where's the button? He goes, that light right there, that looks like a button. There's a button you push that. Neither one of us knew it was a button. It took Andrew Rabbit's intelligence for us to realize, oh, there's a button there. So thanks a lot for Andrew for enlightening us and making us smarter and figuring out how to get into the ballpark. Sue for yourself, Yeah, well now that was both of us. I know you called yourself out last time, but you weren't on the air. Welcome in, Andrew Abbott, Thank you so much for joining us. How's your off season going, man?
Speaker 3: All seasons? Well, guys, you know, thanks for having having me on first of all. But you know, raveling, taking in on the side, seeing the family, going to some different places. So it's been it's been worthwhile so far.
Speaker 2: How's mom and dad doing, By the way, I crushed that salsa again, the homemade salsa that stockpiled a couple of.
Speaker 3: Ye, they are doing great. They're doing great.
Speaker 1: They they make for those that don't know. Their salsa that they make is truly some of the best salsa, not some of it is the best sauce I've ever had.
Speaker 2: Everything homemade home.
Speaker 1: They grow it right in their garden. It's outstanding. Speaking of traveling around doing all kinds of stuff this offseason, we saw that you were here in town. Are you in town right now?
Speaker 3: By the way, No, I am visiting them in Virginia currently.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you were in town. You went and took in an FC Cincinnati game, and you had this distinct privilege of a winner go home playoff match against Columbus to pull the sword before the match.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was. It was fantastic, you know, I mean, you know, training and playing in front of a lot of people kind of get you ready for it. But being in a different atmosphere in a different professional sport is something that you know, we haven't had the ability to do ever. And I was like, I think this will be a cool thing to do. And you know, I can't thank you know, FC enough in the Reds and whoever else has helped behind the scenes and set that up for me, because that was amazing.
Speaker 2: Also went to the Urban Youth Academy, and I know it's not your first trip there, do you You're one of those guys that when there's children's hospital visits, you were always at the forefront of that. What was it like going to the Urban Youth Academy and given your time?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know it's great. You know, you try to give back whatever we can. Just you know, whenever we have free time, whenever we have the ability to, we're always going to be available, especially for those kids. You know, just trying to inspire the next generation of kids or you know, trying to get somebody something to smile about. I mean, it really just makes everybody say better and it's something that I take pride in.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's one of the remarkable things about you. Uh, just a great guy on and off the field. Let's let's talk about the season it was. It was certainly a great year for you. It was a career year for you, career best e r a under three this year, you said, a new career high in innings and strikeouts for you. What do you think when you look back on the season, what was it that kind of allowed you to take that next step forward in your career?
Speaker 3: Well, I think, overall, I think it was just maturing in the game and kind of understanding who I was as the pitcher and what I needed to do. And then you know, you add that, you add in the fact that I had a bulletproof routine with the strength staff with Rob and then with the training staff for Sean and John and all those guys, and you know, really didn't have any waves, you know waves. We were just you know, monotonous. We did the same thing day in and day out, and you know, the results continue to pour in. So, you know, a credit to those guys for helping me out, you know, sitting me down saying we agree with you, we need to do these things. And you know, once we were all on board, it was just about doing it. And then you know, the results were speaking for themselves.
Speaker 2: We talked a lot about getting through a full season and the Riggers and the bear that is the regular season in Major League Baseball. You said learning more about yourself. What specifically did you learn?
Speaker 3: You know, I think the addition of the cutter that me and DJ were working on, and then just talking with Steve O or Trevy our batterymates, and just figuring out sequencing and really honing in on, you know, scouting reports and all the pre stuff that's not even done on the field, so that when you get on the field, it's so much easier just to pitch like you're on the same thing. You're not shaking, you're not taking forever, and the game plan is almost bulletproof.
Speaker 1: You were talking about the routine with your the strength staff, you know, I it's one of the things that always stands out to me when you hear some of the great pitchers talk about what makes them great, They talk about their routine. It's not just the pregame routine, it's it's the days between the starts. I know Nolan Ryan was one of those guys that worked really hard between stars, was very regimented. Is that something that's relatively new to you that you're just kind of starting to figure out right.
Speaker 3: Now, I wouldn't say it's relatively new. You know, we I had a little bit of it at UVA, But as you get older, you kind of realize what works for you and what doesn't work for you. And those guys did a really good job at, you know, implementing what worked for me, because you know, baseball is one of those unique sports. Not everybody can do the same things. You know, we're not all built the same way, so you know, it just takes what you're good at and then tries to apply it as much as possible. And you know, as I said before, like credit to those guys for really putting in the work behind the scenes and then coming to us and meeting with us individually, not just myself but everybody else, and you know, figuring out what's gonna work and sticking to it.
Speaker 2: You've also you've learned how to get through the rigors of one hundred and sixty two. It's the same learning process of how to prepare in the off season. How long did you shut it down? Are you still shut down? When do you start ramping up? What do you what are you doing right now besides.
Speaker 3: Travel so ill, Yeah, I'm I'm traveling a bunch, so we're fitting in workouts and stuff whenever I can, wherever I can. But yeah, I I deloaded at the end of the season for a week, and then I took about two to three weeks off and I'm in week three of throwing already, so I didn't take I didn't take that much time off. You know, still going, still going, working out with stuff down in Texas, and uh, you know, just I was ready for the season to start as quick as it ended, because here we are and it's almost the holidays.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: At that time getting close.
Speaker 2: You said that you you're throwing now? Is that off the mound?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Are you a long toss guy? What type of throwing are you doing?
Speaker 3: So I'm in a build up phase, So right now I'm concentrated on numbers, so like workload, like how how much effort I've give in too Each time is different.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then as I get further into it, I will be off the mound and I will be long coughing. But now I'm probably at sixty to seventy percent. Probably will be a good guest.
Speaker 1: Andrew Rabbit is our guest, an All Star for the first time this year, in year three of his career. Uh left, you got time to stick around for another segment. We got to get to a break. Yep, all good, All right, sounds good. We've got more coming up with Andrew Abbott. Next, this is the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by u DF. We're live the bet MGM Sportsbook inside Tom's Watch Bar at the Banks here on the Reds Radio Network Canada. The Butudweiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by UDF or live betmg OF Sports Book inside Tom's Watch Bar at the Banks, right across the street from Great American Ballpark, Talking Reds baseball with you. I misspoke last week I said, you know, we were talking Reds baseball and it hadn't even turned cold. And then lo and behold, a few days later, it snowed a couple of inches. And now it's cold, so it's starting to feel a little more wintery. So let's huddle around the hot stove and talk some baseball. We're talking with Andrew Abban, an All Star for the first time this year this past offseas Andrew, you talked about You've done some traveling this offseason, have you been anywhere cool so far yet? Like, where's the best place you've been?
Speaker 3: I haven't gone to many places that are cool. It's just been between Texas Virginia and since the so far I got you.
Speaker 1: Well, Now, we had an event late in the season where you had made mentioned that you might be checking out an Ohio State game at some point this fall. Have you have you made your way to Columbus yet to check on the Buckeyes.
Speaker 3: I did, I was. I was there to watch. I was watching them beat up on Penn State.
Speaker 1: How was that? What's I mean? You're a Virginia guys, so can you can you compare the two?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Is that is that one of the better college football environments you've been to? I still haven't been to a game.
Speaker 3: Uph Oh absolutely, I mean it was great. Uh, you know, the san atmosphere was awesome. The team's obviously very good. I had a great time. A group of friends spent it and spent the night there, and you know, to enjoy a little bit of what Columbus had to offer. But yeah, I would. I would definitely recommend going to a football game up there.
Speaker 1: Ah, very good. Uh, Jimmy, what kind of things does Columbus have to offer.
Speaker 2: It's God's country. He's pointing it offer up there just like Cincinnati. Both are God's country.
Speaker 1: Uh, and Andrew, let's talk to baseball. You know we've been we've been talking about your year. You are. It seems like, you know, you're talking about the relationship with your catcher and how important that is and going into a game with a plan. But part of pitching is understanding that maybe your plan won't necessarily work on that day. It just happens. But you seem to be a guy that can adjust on the fly as well as anybody. And part of that, A lot of that credit goes to your ability to read hitters. Is that something that you just kind of do instinctually? Is it something you've learned? Is is it something you even realize you do when you're out there.
Speaker 3: I'd say it's about half and half. I think it's gotten a lot better over time. It's not always good, you know, but like you said, you have to adjust on the fly. Some games you're warming up in the bullpen and you're like, I don't have this pitch. I don't feel comfortable with it. Let's just kind of change the game plan around or some days that everything's working. It's almost like a read and react situation. You just have to see what in front of you and figure out, how are we going to get through six seven innings with this? And let's just try our best to go do it.
Speaker 2: Guys make the playoffs. I'm sure you wish the record was better than it was, but you did get in. You have that nucleus that's seemingly coming back. As we sit here right now, what does his team have to do to make the next step to get up towards maybe ninety wins, be hunting a Central Division title? What do you think has to happen?
Speaker 3: You know? In my opinion, I think it's we just got to handle the teams that are below us or teams that are you know, that are beatable by you know, standards in the in the in the leagues, you know, in the American and National I think last year we beat the teams that we were honestly either underdogs against or we were about fifty to fifty with, and then it felt like we didn't beat anybody that was beneath us. And I think going in, I think you see those really good teams, you know, you know, the dog is the Yankees the Cubs. Those guys handle the teams that are below them and then can still beat the teams above them, and then that's why they turn out with ninety plus wins. And I think that's personally, I think that's probably the biggest thing that we need to focus on.
Speaker 1: Well, you hit the nail on the head. You talk about being good enough to beat good teams. When you're good enough to be good teams, you can beat anybody. What's the key to kind of give getting over the hump? I'm sure, I'm sure you guys talked about it internally. What are some of those things that you feel like you need to do better to be able to have success against teams that don't have as good of a record next year.
Speaker 3: I still think we, you know, we always have to play clean baseball no matter who we're going against. I just think maybe in those moments you might see a little more relapsed from everybody, including myself, and I just think, you know, we got to put our heads down and say, Okay, well we know this team is good. They're all major the players like, let's go do it and handle our business. And I mean it's easier said than done, obviously, But I think when we already know our group is so good, we're playing together, we're jailed, you know, we're a family as a team. I think that's probably the simplest thing is just let's focus just us had a bit more all together.
Speaker 2: Correct me if I'm wrong, But I thought I saw you and Chase Burns hanging out a lot, not necessarily off the field, but in the dugout, etc. Or when you're throwing. And if that's the case, what kind of makeup does this kid happen? What are some of the things that he picks your brain about?
Speaker 3: No, Chase is great, you know, I mean I miss him my year in college.
Speaker 1: But you saw the highlight reel.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's a walking highlight reeler guy. Stuff electric, He's got a bright future ahead of him in the game and beyond the game. You know, during the game, though, I mean that's just kind of starting pitchers hanging out, Like we'll be talking about pitching one minute, and then we'll be talking about video games the next minute, or trying to figure out plans with each other or so, you know, something like that. But when he's picking your brain, the guy he's very, very intelligent with pitches, with pitch calling, with you know, all the analytical spin rates and stuff. So honestly, it's a little bit of both back and forth between us two. I'm picking his brain on that stuff, and he's just picking my brain off of like maybe he's a routine or maybe something he should include or take out. So it goes both ways for sure.
Speaker 1: Another guy that was around this year, he obviously didn't pitch as much as I'm sure the Reds hoped he would. But that was Wade Miley, who is just I assume you've spent some time with him. He's a wealth of knowledge. Were you able to pick his brain? I mean, he's he's a left hander. I gotta believe there's some similarities between you two and some things that you could learn from him. Did you have a chance to do that much with Wade while he was around?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wasn't around the last time the red signed him. I think it was what twenty twenty one, I believe, so I missed him during that time. But in spring training, you know, he took his own time away from you know, his family and stuff to work with me on my pickoff move with me on you know, just different pitching mechanics stuff for like, you know, really trying to get in on right handed hitters, like what I should focus on. I mean you said it correctly.
Speaker 1: I mean the guy.
Speaker 3: He's a great guy. He's a wealth of knowledge. And I think knowing that I'm, you know, just starting out in the league, that leaning on guys like that are the reason why I can play for longer is because those guys are just passing on stuff that has kept them around for fourteen, ten plus years.
Speaker 1: Like whatever it may be, well, Andrew, certainly appreciated. Enjoy the rest of your season. Do you have any before we let you go? You got it? Got any big trips on the horizon, some fun trips, some exciting places that you plan on going before you have to head back to Arizona for spring training.
Speaker 3: The Abbot crew is going to the beach next week. That's about the funnest thing I got planned.
Speaker 1: Man, that sounds good. Well, enjoy it. That sounds plenty fun to me. Take care, Andrew. I'm sure we'll talk to you again before we all head down to Arizona. Good luck in the offseason. Enjoyed, man, Thanks yeah, you guys, Thank you Thanks Andrew. That is Red's Lefty Andrew Abbott joining us so on the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League. Still plenty more to talk about. We'll talk about the balloting for the Reds Hall of Fame that is open now. You can vote on who you think belongs in the next Hall of Fame class. Plenty more to get to. This is the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by UDF on the Reds Radio Network. Welcome back into the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by UDF. We're live the BETMGM Sports Book inside Tom's watch Bar at the Banks phone lines. We're open five on three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, or one eight hundred the Big One. Join the Reds Community Fund for the annual twenty twenty six Prestige, av and Creative Services Rick Steiner Memorial Poker Tournament presented by bet MGM on Saturday. That'll be January the seventeenth. Play for your chance, guaranteed ten thousand dollars first place prize and other cash prizes. Registrations are open now at Reds dot com slash Poker course that'll be at the end of Redsfest. Redsfest is back, Jimmy. It is returning, and a month later than normal, a little bit later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, and I understand it's the first event at the newly renovated Convention Center.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm here. We're going to break that bad boy in. That will be January sixteenth and seventeenth. Tickets are on sale now. Redsfest presented by PNC. You can get your tickets at the newly renovated Cincinnati Convention Center. Two day celebration should be a lot of fun. You can get all the information that you need to know about Redsfest at reds dot com slash Redsfest. We mentioned that the Reds did make a move today they claimed Ben Rourtviitt off Waivers. Of course, you may remember Ben Rhurtvitt was playing for the Dodgers when the Reds met him in the postseason. Start of the season. Did rtfit and the Rays organization then went over to the Dodgers. So the Reds have claimed him. He's a catcher. Kind Of an interesting move here, Jim, that the Reds would claim Ben Rurtviitt off Waivers here when they've already got a couple of catchers. Tyler Stevenson figures to be the regular guy. Then you got Jose Travino, a very valuable backup behind him. They almost split time during the season, so now you work Ben Rurtvinn into the mix. I'm curious to see all the reasoning behind that, how this is going to play out this offseason. If if this maybe signals something to come for the Reds, it could.
Speaker 2: I think it's just part of off season insurance. I understand. I don't think he has any options, right, so that complicates things. And I haven't talked to Nick kraw or Brad Metter about this, so I'm just just cheerly, just be speculating, But I would be surprised if someone like that would be on the Reds roster come season time, unless something happens, if you move one of those catchers and you don't want to shop a catcher when you don't have two quote unquote big league catchers more than two on your roster right within your system. So I think it's a little bit of insurance there. So they have space on the forty man, so he might be a candidate. He's on the Reds roster, now will he come come season time remains to be sick.
Speaker 1: He was three for six against the Reds in those two wild card games. He's not exactly a five hundred hitter for his career. There hadn't been one of those yet, by the way, for his career two seventy nine hitter. Parts of about four seasons in the big leagues for Ben roadtfit actually yeah, parts of four seasons. Broke in first in twenty twenty one, to play at all in twenty twenty two, and then he's been briefly with the Yankees, stops in Tampa Bay, and then most recently the Dodgers. Originally his second round pick the Twins back in twenty sixteen, a high school selection, Ben Roordvitt claimed off waivers from the Dodgers today by the Reds other news this week. By the way, manager of the Year voting took place right before the end of the season. The voting had already been done by the time the postseason came around and started. Terry Francona was one of the finalists in the National League. He finished second in the Nation League Manager of the Year voting, So I think that deserves little congratulations. In his first year at the helm of the Reds, taking the Reds to the playoffs the first time in the full season since twenty thirteen, first time overall since twenty twenty. No surprise really that Pat Murphy got the win there in the National League.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no surprise. And I think the most interesting thing for me about Frankcona is he came in just learning the Reds organization, the roster, the players, etc. And at times you're almost flying blind when you're doing that, and it's a learning process on the go. I think he's gonna have a lot more influence. Yeah, just my opinion on the roster going forward, some of the decision.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing. It really sounds like, and I don't know what it's like for other organizations, but he and Nick and Brad seem to all work really really well together, and it's almost like those three are kind of like one unit when it comes to putting this roster together. I think that's a good thing. I mean, I don't know about you, but I remember early days of spring training last year talking to Tito about certain players and instantly he maybe only seen him in a workout or seen him in one game and already had a really good idea of what that player was. That's a gift, and I think that is a valuable asset for a guy in that situation and that role to have working with your top baseball ops guys.
Speaker 2: I think that that was part of what intrigued him about the Reds is that they told him you are going to manage the team. We want you to manage the team. And you're like, well, obviously, duh. What I hear rumblings in Cleveland the front office is always put out this lineup, play this player on this day. Why are you making that move? Where they the Reds basically told we want you're one of the best managers on the planet. You manage the team. We will deal with the player side of it. I think that was very intriguing. They are not meddling in his Sure, they give him suggestions that he gets all the analytics. The baseball ops department works very closely in that regard, but they are not telling him what his lineup should.
Speaker 1: Nobody likes to get the input here. There's a difference between giving input and then telling somebody what to do. He loves to get the information. Nobody's telling him what to do. That's that's a valuable asset, and that's, like you said, a very appealing thing about this job to him when he came here. The Reds are looking for a new coach. We'll talk more about that, and we also will talk Red's Hall of Fame balloting when the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by UDF continues next on the Reds Radio Network. Welcome back, It's the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by UDF Live the BETMGM Sportsbook, Inside Tom's Watch Bart Banks. Nice turnout here for the second Hot Stove Show of the year. Only nineteen more to go After tonight. Reds Fans House the time to get your twenty twenty six season tickets. Members sit in the same seat for every game with the friends and family, and enjoy our flexible ticket exchange program. Visit Reds dot com slash membership for details. Mentioned that, the Reds have an opening now on their coaching staff. Simon Matthews, who is the Red Sunshine Yes, who was the Reds assistant pitching coach last year, has moved on to greener pastors. The Washington Nationals have hired Simon to be their pitching coach. So after one year under the tutelage of Derek Johnson, he has moved on to the Washington Nationals to take over kind of like Caleb Cotham did. Who's still in that same role now it's the pitching coach of the Phillies. After spending a little time with Derek Johnson here at the Red.
Speaker 2: Assistant pitching coach in Miami. So is Derek Johnson the pitching coach?
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you what, some guys have gone on to have quite a bit of success after leaving his instructions. So we wish Simon Matthews the best. Now the question is who fills that role. I don't know if Wade Miley is done playing baseball yet, but.
Speaker 2: If he's not, gonna be time.
Speaker 1: If he is in fact done, you got to figure out a way to get that guy in this organization. He's gonna make a great coach somewhere at some point. The question is is he ready for that commitment. And at this point, if in fact he is done trying to play baseball, he would be perfect for that role if it's something that he was willing to do.
Speaker 2: If he sits in the offseason and thinks he can still get people out. I would not be guys. I just I don't know. Although his you know, he's obviously up there in the age and his body was breaking down and father time undefeated. To have him in the organization absolutely a huge win if the Reds could get that done. As far as being an assistant pitching coach, the daily grind of that, I don't see that times have changed. These guys make so much money now they don't have to work. No, he's in that category and I just don't see him doing the everyday grind of an assistant pitching coach.
Speaker 1: The only reason I would say that it could happen for a guy like that is he is the baseball equivalent of a gym rat. I mean, he absolutely loves the game. He loves pitching, he loves sharing his knowledge, and he has a wealth of it. He's one of those guys that I don't feel like ever gets tired of talking about the game of baseball and pitching. I don't know if that's the direction the Reds are going to go, but you can't help but wonder if that is an option.
Speaker 2: He's a master of reading hitters. You got that talked de Andre Rabbit about reading hitters. I mean, he is one of the masters. I wish you could just send every pitcher through the Wade Miley how to read hitters club. So we'll see, he would be invaluable just to have in the organization at any level.
Speaker 1: One of the things that we're hearing quite a bit, of course, Brad Meta, the Reds general manager and president of Baseball Operations Nick Crawler out in Arizona or out in Vegas right now for the GM meetings. One of the things that we keep reading from the meetings is looks like Spencer Steer is probably going to be used a little bit differently than he was last year. He was the Reds everyday first baseman, finished runner up for the Gold Glove at first base. I mean, this guy played a true Gold Glove caliber base I think you really you lose something if you go back to moving him around, because he came. He became as good of a first basement as you could ask for. Look at the World Series. The first baseman's in the World Series between Freddie Freeman and Vladimir Guerrero Junior played a huge role for their teams at first base. I've never really understood why a position that impacts the ball on almost every play is so undervalued from a defensive standpoint, as first base is Spencer Steer. I thought showed all year long how valuable the defense is over there. I'm really curious to see how that plays out, because you got something there. You've got a really good infield, especially if you can clean up Ellie's defense short when you have McClain at second base. Key Brian Hayes just came off his second Gold Glove year over at third base, Spencer Steer. If you keep him at first he'll win one at some point.
Speaker 2: Well, you got to get some offense somewhere. I get everything you're saying us to Baseball for recognizing steers excellence defensively at first base, because every time national broadcasters will come through, they would kind of pick our brain on the team, and I said to all of them, if he's not a finalist for the Gold Glove at first base, there's crime going on. And they would look like, well, what you're talking about. It's you know, people that didn't watch him on a daily basis. But if you watched him every day, he was excellent over there. Now, they're talking about the story or what they're talking about in Vegas moving him around. If you ask him, his most natural position is second base, but that's probably is not his best prices. He can be a serviceable outfielder, I'm not sure he's going to be a great outfielder, so moving him around like that has a tremendous amount of value. Obviously you are going to lose if he doesn't play there every day. But with this, you got to look at the current roster. That old saying, you know, if you're gonna hit, they're gonna find you a place. I think al Stewart is in that equation. I don't think third base was ever going to be his future. I know people were upset of they brought in Key Brian Hayes, and where's south Stuart going to play. I don't think south Stewart's future was ever going to be at third base. I think he was going to be a first baseman. Now he took this up in the middle of the year. Sal So same thing with Spencer. You've got to give him time to learn the position. I'm not he will never be on the level defensively of Spencer stear At first base. But the kid seemingly can hit, you can d h South Stewart. But this I go back to the roster. You've got a guy like Gavin Lucks on the roster. He's without a position where you're going to play him. So this is the daily thought process that goes in. Sure, you can hit, but what where's where are you going to play and where you're going to get the offense from. This team lacked the offense last year, certainly lacked the power of hitting home not hitting home runs. Your corner positions are normally your power guys. I know that's changed a little bit in today's game, but you need offense somewhere. So it is a dilemma and is one they're going to have to figure out.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see what the Reds do for that. We wrap up the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by UDF when we come back on the Reds Radio Network. Welcome back. It's the Budwiser reds Hot Stove League presented by UDF. We've been talking about it. We'll finally talk about it. We've been teasing it, we haven't really talked about it. But voting is open now. To help decide who is going to be enshrined this year in the induction class the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum. Voting is open now. All you have to do is go to Redsmuseum dot org to vote. Your options are Homer Bailey, Francisco Cordero, Zach Cozart, Aaron Harang, Mike Leak, Brandon Phillips, Scott Roland, and Edinson Volkez. You have until eleven fifty nine technically on November twenty seven, basically midnight November twenty seventh, to go to Redsmuseum dot org and vote on who you think should be in the Reds Hall of Fame in museum, Jimmy, who you got on that list? Who? Who makes it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: These are just the modern player candidates. There's gonna be ones that played a little farther back that will be inducted as well. Brandon Phillips's lock, the other ones, you know, a little a little dicey. He didn't spend a whole lot of time here. And the criteria is what three years.
Speaker 1: Be a.
Speaker 2: Looking through here?
Speaker 1: Three years?
Speaker 2: Yeah, three years appeared in at least three seasons with the Reds. Five years of pass it's their major league season. Blah blah blah, Scott Rolling. It's a tough one because he wasn't here very long. But you know, you want a gold Glove here, he wants some had some achol.
Speaker 1: And you talk to guys that played with him, they will tell you how valuable he was getting this team over the hump his leadership. Can you put a guy in the Hall of Fame in a team hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: For his leadership? He was the final piece. I mean, you know, Homer Bailey had two no hitters. That's going to headline his bio.
Speaker 1: I gotta know if he's a strong candidate too, right at some point this year, I don't know I would pick those two.
Speaker 2: I guess certainly Phillips and the other one I could be sold on a few guys. Aaron Harang started a number of opening days. I had a bunch of strikeouts. I know, he's top ten in strikeouts in Red's history, seventh in Red's history, thirtieth and wins. You know, he was at a time when the Reds didn't have a deep pitching. He was the guy.
Speaker 1: So just the.
Speaker 2: Longevity of his career with the Reds would certainly stack up. Zach Klozar was a tremendous short stop.
Speaker 1: I mean set the rookie home run record for red shortstop.
Speaker 2: So League All Star Gold Glove finalists a couple of times. So yeah, it'll be in Rcy Phillips and you talk me into someone else.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fair. Yeah, that's good list. It's certainly I would say Phillips and Bailey almost a lock, I would think to get in for that class. You can vote. You have until the twenty seventh to get your voting in. That's all the time we have for you today. Big thanks to Andrew Abbott for joining us. By the way, and Rabbit is up for all MLB Starting Pitcher. The award show is tomorrow night nine Eastern here on MLB Network. That's all the time we have for you for today. Thanks for listening. Big thanks to our producer engineer Debut the Armburster for Jim Day. Thanks to Andrew Rabbit. I'm Tommy Thrall. We'll talk to you again next Wednesday on the REDS Radio Network. A night