Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begne.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 3: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Here we go again.
Speaker 3: We're going to running back to get him on the show called eight six six eight seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 1: We are live at Oracle Park.
Speaker 2: After the Giants defeat the Dodgers tonight in Game one of this three game series, three to.
Speaker 1: One the final score.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers are now sixteen and seven, tied with the San Diego Padres for first place in the NLS. The Padres beat the Rockies earlier tonight and they're playing hot. They've won ten of their last eleven. They have a good team in the first month of the season. Let's see whether or not the season will be too long for them and their pitching staff. But right now, the Dodgers and Padres are tied atop the nl West sixteen and seven. Both teams have the same record. David Vasse Dodger Talk with you until the bottom of the hour. Phone lines are open at eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy And look, this game is pretty simple. The Dodgers are hitting one eighty eight with runners in scoring position through the first five games of this road trip. Their swings seem to be really big on this road trip. Maybe, like Jose Motives said, it was corsefield, But where is the situational hitting? And unfortunately for the Dodgers, their best option tonight are their best opportunity I should say to get back into this game was in the fourth inning when Land and Roup really didn't have much command at all.
Speaker 1: He was missing quite a bit.
Speaker 2: In that fourth inning, the Dodgers loaded the bases, they had one run in and Alex call who got the start in center field tonight, at the plate and he grounded into an inning ending double play. The pitch was right down the middle. He just missed it and missfired on the swing and it was a five to four to three inning ending double play.
Speaker 1: And that was that.
Speaker 2: And Yamamoto deserved a better fate because he pitched really well tonight seven innings. He gave up those three runs, but didn't get great defense behind him. In that first inning, Hayesung Kim made an errant high throw way over the head of Freddie Freeman on the very first batter of the Giants sent up there in the bottom of the first and Willie Adamis and that just kind of opened up a little dinks and dunks to score three runs for the Giants. And also Alex Calling not really communicating taking charge in center field on all that was hit to center field or left left field in that first inning, Taoscar Hernandez, he didn't read it correctly. He went back on the fly ball by Casey Schmidt to left center field, and Alex Call jumped all over it. But Taoscar recovered and Alex Call was not communicating and screaming I got it, and they collided. And that was a scary collision because it looked like Alex Call's head hit Oscar Hernandez's jaw, and that is concussion type of stuff. I mean, ta Oscar was rubbing his jaw, opening and closing his mouth, and he also could have taken out Tao Oscar's left knee. Alex Call a big center field out here in San Francisco. Andy Paez in a little bit of a slump in those four games at cors Field, so Dave Roberts decided to give him the day off. But this center field is a lot different than playing center field at Dodger Stadium, and hopefully Alex Call learned some things that he can take with him moving forward. But he did make some nice plays towards right field because Kyle Tucker never seemed to really get a great jump on any of those fly balls to right field. And Kyle Tucker had a rough night too, struck out three times tonight, and Kyle Tucker's sitting two forty four with a seven H five ops. He just hasn't been very consistent. He's had a couple of good moments, but for the most part to start the season, he has not done much of anything for the Dodgers. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from Alex Call, who had a tough night tonight in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was going after the ball. I didn't like fully know where Teyo was just because I was running after it. Bottom line is, you know, ball can't fall. As a center fielder, I was just trying to go get the ball. And you know, I think he said he was calling it. I didn't hear him. I started calling it. You know, he didn't hear me. So just kind of the way it goes. It's unfortunate. Glad he's okay. Glad we at least got it out. But yeah, you know, just tough. I mean, the stadium gets loud and things happen. But it's as my job to be vocal and loud and make sure that he hears me and make sure things like that don't happen.
Speaker 5: You just get like the wind knocked out there.
Speaker 4: I mean I gotta have a few bumps and bruises the wind knocked out. And although it's worth ending you.
Speaker 6: Bat, you see the four walks ahead of you. What do you take as the approach when you go up there?
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm ready to ready to hit, you know, I think bottom line is you got to get a good pitch to hit. I'm not certainly worried about expanding, not with how I you know, go about my bets. Normally, the ball that's in my zone, certainly that was the ball that was in my zone just snuck inside my barrel. I know I had the right approach, the right mindset, the right practice and didn't work out all right.
Speaker 2: There's Alex Call on sports and at LA. Good for him to stand up in front of his locker and answer those questions. He was our pregame guest and gave really insightful questions. He has a thought process. So that pitch was right down the middle. You have to swing at it. He just hit a ground ball to third base.
Speaker 1: It's baseball. That happens.
Speaker 2: And that was the opportunity for the Dodgers to get back into this game. And you know, some nights in this game, a lot of things pile up on the negative side, and it was just one of those tough nights of baseball for Alex Call because of the collision in the first inning with ta Oscar Hernandez. Good for him to hold onto the ball, by the way, at least get that out. And then in the sixth then Helia Ramos with two outs and Junghu Lee at first base hits a dumps a single into center and Alex Call was way too casual getting on that ball and getting it back into the infield. And that's why Jung Hu Lee and the Giants third base coach Barge Hector Borg sent him because Call was flat footed.
Speaker 1: He lobbed it in one.
Speaker 2: Hopped it to Alex Freeland, who was very aware of what was happening, and got it to Dalton Rushing just in time, and jung Hu Lee was the last out of that sixth inning. That would have been even That would have made it an even worse night for Alex Call if Lee would have been safe on that type of play. And Lee had to leave the game after that. Not sure if it was his left knee that got caught underneath him, but he hurt something and was down a while after he was tagged out, and it wasn't just his feelings that were hurt. Six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the Giants tonight, three to one. Let's go out to Valencia, OZ. You're on Dodger Talk Live from San Francisco. Lead us off.
Speaker 5: Hey, David, thank you for taking my call. I just want to say thank you for everything you do. It's a pleasure to listen to you every single night, day and day out. But I have a question for you, Daves how six of course, thank you? How how successful or rather, how limited are the Dodgers in terms of abs challenges, because I know Max Monsey came out and said they were going to leave it for the catchers, but especially for someone like some of the young guys like Alex Freeland. They look like the pitchers are way outside and that they should be challenging, and even Joe was suggesting it on the back broadcast a little bit. But they don't. As always just wanted to say thank.
Speaker 2: You, Okay, yeah, Well, Number one, the Dodgers do have a strategy. As I mentioned before that Monthcy has been public that their strategy is to leave as many of those two challenges for their catcher to help out the pitchings daft as far as the offense go, the way it's been explained to me is, uh, they don't want you challenging in the first or second inning if it isn't a high leverage situation or a big swing in the count in that In that case, Alex Freeland in the fifth inning was leading off, and I know which which I bet you're talking about, because Rupe was certainly struggling, struggling in the fourth inning and to start that fifth and that ball was high the replay showed it was out of the strike zone and Alex Freeland was just indecisive.
Speaker 1: He he wasn't.
Speaker 2: Sure whether or not to challenge or not, and uh, that was just him being indecisive.
Speaker 5: Gosh, thank you so much, Dave. Yeah, because I understand the way it looks. It could look like a ball out of the hand. So I was just christed. Thank you so much, Stave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you got to make your decision quickly. And he was just indecisive. And I would have said that would have been a challenge situation where the Dodgers would not have been upset, and that is to their game plan that he would have challenged that because he would have got on base for Otani. So that's one of those instances that, uh, the game plan is to challenge. But he was just indecisive in that situation. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the Giants tonight three to one. Freddie Freeman was back in the Dodgers starting lineup. Remember he went on the paternity list. Him and his wife Chelsea welcome their first daughter, and Freddie was zero for to tonight with two Walks hitting third behind Otani and Tucker, and before the game, we had a chance to catch up with Freddy to share the news of his brand new baby girl and the name and the meaning behind the name they gave their baby girl.
Speaker 7: Yes, so London is their first name. Obviously, Chelsea, my wife, my in laws are from England, born and raised there. He's always loved the name London, so ever since I've known Chelsea, I felt like, if we're gonna have a girl, the girl's name is gonna be London. And she has two middle names, Rosemary Joy. My mom's name was Rosemary Joy Freeman, so our daughter's name is London Rosemary Tooy Freeman after my mom.
Speaker 6: Pretty you going on the paternity list kind of set a chain of events that allowed Ryan Ward to have his first major league start and hit and all that. Were you watching?
Speaker 7: Unfortunately, London was born at eleven fifty two, so no, I was not watching the game. I did not see any visual game on Sunday. I did watch the game last night, London's first game she got to watch with me. But I am happy I've got to know Ryan over the last few years, and he's an incredibly hard worker. He's worked so hard for that moment and to go out there and get two hits and RBI and his big league debut, that was special, So we all know he can do it. So I'm sure there'll be another opportunity at some point for him to get back here.
Speaker 6: Did you hear about Dalton giving up that start for him?
Speaker 7: I just about it. Yeah, so I for me, I thought Dalton was starting Sunday, So when I heard that he wasn't, I did have a smile on my face. That was like, oh good because Ryan will get to play, but awesome for Dalton to do that, and Dalton's went off to a great start, so I'm just happy they both got the play because he played the next day and hit to him run. So first face was well taken care of.
Speaker 2: Freddie Freeman all smiles and why shouldn't he be. He's a girl dad and now have four kids. He said that's it for him and Chelsea. Four kids is enough. So congratulations to Freddie and Chelsea Freeman. And it was great to have Freddie back around the ball club and certainly a leader that the Dodgers need, not only by example but just the way he carries himself.
Speaker 1: On and off the field.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, you'll hear from Dave Roberts, who responded to what Craig Council had to say out of nowhere questioning the Otawni roster rule.
Speaker 1: Huh Yeah.
Speaker 2: You'll hear from Dave, and we'll give you an update on Blake Snell.
Speaker 1: He joined the.
Speaker 2: Dodgers here in San Francisco after six hours at Coachella last week. Dodgers I mentioned that to snow Dodgers fall to the Giants tonight three to one on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: On air at AM five to seventy, online at amfive seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Bass.
Speaker 2: David Vasse live in San Francisco at Oracle Park. After the Dodgers fall to the Giants tonight by a final score of three to one. What a sports night for Los Angeles. The Lakers beating the Rockets. I believe we're about to beat the Rockets to take a two to zero lead in the first round. The LA Kings are up one nothing in the third period right now against the Avalanche, and the Dodgers and Giants are hooking up here for a three game series the first time this season. The Dodgers are up here in San Francisco and playing the Giants, and with the Giants winning tonight, they take an all time series lead one two hundred and eighty nine wins for San Francisco to twelve hundred and eighty eight wins for the Dodgers. And oh, by the way, back in the early nineteen hundreds, they tied nineteen times, So that's how close this all time rivalry has become. And the Dodgers over the last thirteen fourteen years have made up a lot of ground in that category and in the last ten fifteen twenty years now have matched the Giants world Series win total. The Giants were so happy about their miracle three championships about ten years ago, Well, the Dodgers have outdone them by winning back to back World Series championships. And that's what separates this Dodger team other World Series champions. They are one of just a handful of teams to ever win back to back championships and are looking to become just the third franchise in baseball history to have a three peat winner, and right now things are looking good for the Dodgers, even with the injury to Edwin Diaz, who is expected to return in two or three months. The Dodgers and Padres are tied for first place in the NL West sixteen and seven, and the Bait have baseball's best record at sixteen and seven, So things are going well for the back to back champions tonight, though they fall to the Giants three to one. Now, I wanted to bring this up because we talked about it two nights ago in Denver when I saw a tweet from a satellite radio commentator, and then out of the blue, the very next day, Craig Council of the Cubs, who are coming to town by the weekend on Friday night at Stadium for a three game series out of Nowhere, which is interesting great Council told the media in Chicago he believes the Dodgers have an unfair roster advantage by having Sho Haotani as a two way player and also allowed to carry thirteen pitchers. Now, remember the rule changed where Major League Baseball did not want bullpen games, so they put a limit on how many pitchers you could carry on your roster during the regular season before September, and that's thirteen. So the Dodgers have thirteen designated pitchers plus the most unique and best player in the game in show Heotani, So technically, I guess you could say they have fourteen pitchers. Otani is starting tomorrow, so tomorrow the Dodgers will have fourteen pitchers on their active roster. But tonight there was thirteen because Otani is not starting. And by the way, why now, Because Tani's on the best team in baseball, the defending back to back champions. He's won two World Series in his first two years with the Dodgers. This rule has been in place since twenty twenty two, when Otani was on the Angels. I never heard Craig Council when he was in Milwaukee complain about any sort of roster advantage for the Angels. But all of a sudden, now there's a roster advantage because Otani's on the Dodgers. Just doesn't make a lot of sense. And after last night's game, Dave Roberts was asked about Craig Councils out of the blue comments about this so called roster advantage.
Speaker 8: The thing is is that it certainly benefits us because we have the player. But that's something that regardless of any team that would have Otani would have that player, and you know, we're more than willing to have other teams, you know, go out and find a player that can do both. So he's an exception because he's an exceptional player. So yeah, I mean, it's it's kind of it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no apologies from the Dodgers or show hey Otani, and there shouldn't be. It's not like the Dodgers were the ones that appealed to Major League Baseball to have this rule where Otani is designated as a two way player because he is. This was a rule that was put in place in twenty twenty two when Otani was on the Angels. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Here's my other issue with create Council. Okay, you're whining about the Dodgers having the best player and the most unique player and they've won back to back championships. Okay, but what's your solution. What is CREK Council's solution? Should the Dodgers be at a disadvantage and only have twelve pitchers on their roster because Otani is a two way player. Should the Dodgers taxi a pitcher for the days that Otani is only the dh You tell me, Crey Council, what should What is the solution? Why are you whining so much about a team that you're not even gonna see in the postseason. You didn't see them last year because the Brewers beat you. Do you really believe you're gonna see them this year? I mean, I just don't understand why. Now out of nowhere, Craig Council is talking about an unfair roster advantage for the Dodgers. Whoever signed sho Heotani not only gets the best player and most unique player, but they do get that advantage. It is an advantage because there's nobody else like him. If all of a sudden, let's say Saya Suzuki decided to pitch, then the Cubs would have fourteen pitchers on their roster.
Speaker 1: If Ian happ decided to become a pitcher, then you would have that. But you don't.
Speaker 2: The Angels had Otani, they let him go. The Giants tried to sign Otani. He didn't sign here, he signed with the Dodgers. I just think Craig Council comes off very petty and jealous and whiney, uh, talking about this unfair roster advantage. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card. Visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com used the keyword home run, Enter your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Dodgers fall to the Giants tonight three to one in San Francisco. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. And speaking of show hey Otani. In his last at bat tonight, he beat out an infield single, a ground ball to shortstop. And now he has reached base in fifty three consecutive games, tying Sean Green for second on the all time Dodger franchise record. Dukes Nider reached on base fifty eight consecutive games, so it's not like a hitting streak, but since we're keeping score here, that's what's happened. Otani now has reached base in fifty three consecutive game after beating out a groundball to shortstop in the last at bat that he had tonight, the Dodgers, they'll go down three to one, leave eight men on base tonight and are hitting one eighty eight on this road trip with runners in scoring positions. So they're gonna get back on track. And look, the reality is the Dodgers are in the middle of playing thirteen in a row, most consecutive games that they have played to start the season. They'll have this again, but this is the first time, so I think we have to take that into account. Also, we talk so much about what they're doing with the players that are on the injured list. I think that should be part of the equation as well. And you don't have Kyle Tucker swinging the bat well, he's not playing well to start the season. Sho Heo Tani admittedly said April is not usually the best month for him. He feels like he's really gonna take off in the month of May as a hitter. And they don't have Mookie Betts, they don't have Tommy Edmond, they don't have keyk Hernandez to play center field tonight. If they wanted to give Andy has a rest. They don't have Edwin Diaz now, they don't have Evan Phillips. Brock Stewart's on a rehab assignment. Blake's now, by the way, is going to make his first rehab start tomorrow for Ontario in San Jose, and he's expected to go three innings eight six, six, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go back out to the phones. Robert in Chino, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Hi, Robert, Hey, how's it going?
Speaker 9: Does want to talk about Craig Council and what he was talking about. It just didn't make sense. Again, thirteen pitchers are tiny's exceptional. Doesn't you know he's pitching every seven days, so it doesn't you know what you know, what's he going to do with, you know, another picture on the on the roster when he's pitching every seven days, so it doesn't really make sense. Also, Yamamoto, just want to give a shout out to Alamamoto pitching. Mike Kershaw, you know, gave up, you know, a few runs early, but held it down. Just needs the bats to wake up.
Speaker 2: Hey, Robert, everybody talks about Mason Miller. Paul Skeins, even O Tawani, I think more people need to start giving Yamamoto his due. To me, he is definitely in the conversation for the cy young in the National League again, just like he was last year he finished in the top three. I mean, Yamamoto is a warrior in more ways than one after what we saw in the World Series last year.
Speaker 9: Most definitely he's just picking up the baton with Kershaw, you know from Kershaw. So you know he's going to be that, you know, every fifth day, every sixth day, he's going to give us seven He's going to give us, you know, seven solid you know, three runs like that's a hiccup. You know, it's just nothing. You know, we just needed the bats to come through. I guess, you know, the flight, you know, the travel from Colorado. Maybe he heard us, you know, but.
Speaker 2: Five days at the altitude and landing at one am doesn't do anybody any favors. So yeah, I would imagine the Dodgers bounce back tomorrow. Robert, thank you for the phone call and appreciate it. And by the way, Yamamoto starting to incorporate his cut fastball more than he did last year. Tonight it was the third most pitch that he used, even more than his curveball. The curveball was not great. I don't feel like he had a great feel for the curveball tonight. But his split fingered fastball was outstanding. And you know, he got the most swings and misses on his split fingered fastball tonight. But look out for that cutter. He's starting to use that cutter against left handed hitters more and more. So interesting, you know cat and mouse that he's playing with with hitters this year and coming off being in the league for two full seasons. Now Tomorrow show, hey, Otani will be on the mound for the Dodgers. Sorry, Craig Council. He's pitching tomorrow. Sorry, yeah, no, apologies. He's going up against Tyler Mallley, who's win list this year with an ERA of seven to twenty three. Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck begins at five thirty tomorrow with first pitch at six forty five, and by all accounts, Otani is expected to start tomorrow and be leading off as the Dodger DH And maybe after the game tomorrow night, we could get into that conversation. Should Otani not hit when he's pitching. I think it's a It's a good conversation to have, and we'll see whether or not Dave roberts what he said before his last start. We'll follow through and have him as the DH tomorrow night here in San Francisco. So thank you for sticking with us. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also you could hear our pregame conversations with Freddie Freeman, Alex Call and all the Dodger Talk content. Only place to get the Dodger news first. Other outlets want to take it ten days later as their own. Thanks to Calling Ee back at our Burbank studios, thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Oracle Park in San Francisco, and thanks to you for listening once again. The final score tonight the Giants beat the Dodgers three to one. Have a great rest of your night.
Speaker 1: See you