Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Basse for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: Great to have Rick Monday on in our last segment. The fiftieth anniversary of Rick saving the flag at Dodgers Stadium, and that certainly is going to be celebrated at the Hall of Fame and at Dodgers Stadium all season long. And a guy that I'm sure is very familiar with Rick Monday. I know he was an eleven year NFL quarterback, but Bakersfield used to be the single a affiliate of the LA Dodgers. They had the Brooklyn b for the Bakersfield Dodgers back in the day. He is the most famous Raider quarterback since and successful since Rich Gannon. And he's got a new podcast with his brother, David Home Grown. It drops every Thursday. And we are so excited to have former Raiders quarterback and huge Dodger fan Derek Carr finally on Dodger Talk. Derek, thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, David, thank you so much. You have no idea how much it means to me to be able to be on here with you, So I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: I know when I when I came to Raider Camp and I met you for the first time in twenty nineteen. I was blown away. How big of a Dodger fan you were? How did this all start? Did it start with the Bakersfield Dodgers or they were you had to choose either Giants or Dodgers, and you went the right way.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. No, we we had the Bakersfield Dodgers, which was awesome because we could go there, Sam Land and go to these things and check them out and all that stuff. Growing up was so cool. My brothers, that's what they grew up doing, you know. And then my dad and our little church group for our youth where they would take like a trip every year down to Dodger Stadium and watch a game. So I got to see, you know, Griffy go ho for five and got to see all him strike out three or four times. And it was because as a Dodger fan, that's what you want to see. And so I got to experience that and do all those things as a kid. And so I think that we chose the right path because being in the Central Valley, you go one way or the other. And I think that we made the right choice.
Speaker 3: I would say so, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: So was that Ken Griffy Junior with the Reds that you saw play at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 1: No, that was Mariners. We got to see them with the Mariners. Yep. Yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is certainly a great memory to have. And speaking of memories, everybody has a story, Derek about where they were watching Game seven of.
Speaker 3: The World Series. Where were you watching Game seven of the World Series.
Speaker 1: Oh, my gosh, that's a great question. We so, me and my boys. We were actually at our house watching and just going absolutely bonkers in our living room. And I think our neighbors thought something was wrong until they realized, oh, yes, they are not Giant fans, they are Dodger fans, and so uh it just we couldn't believe it. Just the turn of events, the home run, then you get the catch, and it's just like we just couldn't believe what was happening. So uh it was. It was a good time in our house, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, the catches when Pa haz ran over Key k Hernandez. I mean that was one of many plays the Dodgers could have lost the World Series from you watching on Fox. Could you tell that Pa has made the catcher? Did you believe that it dropped?
Speaker 1: No? I had Honestly, I had no idea because I saw him. I saw him collide, key K goes down, and then I saw I saw key K's reaction, and so I'm like, oh, dang, it's over. And then Paz goes jogging off like nah, bro, like I got it, Like we're good. So we were on our little group chat with me and my brothers just going absolutely crazy. But uh, but yeah, that that's one of the moments right there. I'm pretty sure key K thought it was over too at that moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think he realized Pa has caught it. You're right, he didn't realize it. And then, you know, Derek the biggest play to me, Obviously the home runs were huge, but how about in field in ninth inning. Yeah, Miguel Rojas is able to make that incredible play and Will Smith's foot comes off and then goes back on that.
Speaker 1: So that's what we It was a great opportunity for me to help my boys, Like, you know, they they want to play baseball, football, basketball, They're doing all these things, and I's like, guys, This is why every detail matters, every rep, every practice. Can you you know, Coach Gruden would always tell me you got to get quicker mentally, physically, body quicker. Can you get the ball out of your hand even quicker? And I say, this is just a great display of all that hard work, all that dedication coming down to inches. You know, you know, having the right fundamentals, you know, the right footwork, the right uh you know, the right quick release and and all those things. It was a great opportunity for me to show by boys, like on the biggest stage, like all that stuff doesn't change, and even a that moment, I mean, you were inches away from obviously that being a disaster, but we end up making that play because of not because they made that play in that moment, because of the work they did before. So it's actually a really cool lesson for my boys, and they were all into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, being out here at spring training. Can you believe after those plays in the World Series, I'm watching Mookie Beds, Miguel Rojas, Munsey and Freddie working on those type of plays and working on the base running.
Speaker 3: So it is repetition.
Speaker 2: Is that similar to what happens in the NFL is repetition as big as it is in baseball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what's going through their minds. And obviously they're champions, man, and they're pros, pros. You know, they're obviously a great collection of talent. There's no denying that. But when you get a great collection of talent that works the way that they do, and you're saying, man, they're working on throwing infield, you know, taking ground ers, base running, making sure my foots hitting in the right place, because it really can be as they know, a game, evenches that cost everything. And so for us, you know, you treat every rep as if it is Game seven, or in our case, you treat it as if it's the last drive of the Super Bowl. How's my footwork going to be? Am I gonna? You know, how quick am I going to get this ball out? How quick can I you know, make that release? How quick can I get it out of my hand? And the things that I saw when you know, a lot of guys want to play professionally and it's awesome and to dream and all those things. But I had a coach tell me one time, it is those details that turn this thing into a career or it just being a part time job for some guys, and it really stuck with me. So man I I, it doesn't surprise me that they're working on those little things because that's that's what's given them such a long career. They keep grinding and thinking that they can get better, get quicker, get faster. You know, you hear Mookie throwing javelins now like different things, throwing it a hundred across the diamond and things like that. You know, they're trying to get better all the time. And this is coming from guys that are champions, but they understand what it means to be a pro, and that means it's never ending, you know, self improven, self improvement, and that's obviously on display with those guys.
Speaker 2: Derek Carr is our guest, the former Raiders quarterback, is joining us. He's got a great podcast with his brother David, Homegrown. It drops every Thursday. Now, I got word Derek, speaking of the World Series. You can tell me if this is true or not, but you received as a gift second base from Game six of the World Series. Is that the second base from this past World Series? You have that in your office?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, we do. We have it in our office and we put it right in the door where we do our homegrown deal and if you want to come in our office, you have to round second. You have to catch the base to come in. So it's awesome.
Speaker 2: That is amazing considering that's how Game six ended with Key k Yes doubling up Barger at second base.
Speaker 3: How did you get that base?
Speaker 1: Honestly, we still don't have I don't even know if I have the real story yet, but business partner of ours, it was like, man, I just wanted to get you guys something nice. And he said, I had no clue what to get you, So I thought Dodgers, and he said I had I reached out and had someone and whatever, and he just went down this rabbit hole and sure enough it pops up in our office and it's it's I mean, it's got the it's got the dirt marks, it's got the cleat marks, it's got everything. And I was like, dude, this is like such a precious thing to some Dodger fans obviously. Uh, for that moment to end right there at second base and now it's sitting here in our office in Presno, California, is pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Derek.
Speaker 2: When you have a piece of I guess some people consider it memorabilia. Don't you view that more as a piece of sports history, Dodger history, than you know, memorabilia.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's it's to me. It just tells the story. And it's so cool for my boys that are Dodger fans and they are growing up and you know, loving baseball. You know, thirty years from now, they'll be able to point back and show somebody, no, this is from that game where he's at they threw it to second base and double them up, and and what a cool story that'll be for you know, Dave and I's kids, you know, someday and for us to share. And it's and that's the best part about it. It's nothing that I want to It will never be something that you want to sell or do something with. It's something that you keep. And it's just so cool to have a piece of Dodger history, especially growing up, you know, being huge Dodger fans.
Speaker 2: We saw each other last May at Dodger Stadium. You brought your beautiful family out. Is there any desire to try to get Miguel Rojas or t k Hernandez to sign that Game six second base bag.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, So we we've talked about that. It's like, dang, you know, they're getting ready for a game. We can't when is the right moment to ever bring it? You know, when when is those things? So hopefully hopefully one day we'll be able to do that, but it's definitely, you know, just being in their shoes. At some point in our life, we were like, probably not on game day. Uh, you know, it might not be the best time, but for sure, that would be fantastic. We have you know, we got we're coming to ten games this year. Right, came to the World Series, so we get to come to ten more this year. So I can't wait. Man, it's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 2: I am going to tell Miguel Rojas and Key k Hernandez that Derek Carr has that second base bag.
Speaker 3: I am going to make this happen for you.
Speaker 1: Oh you're the best that would Now, that would be awesome. That would be fantastic. Now we won't be able to step on it anymore, but that's okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tell the kids lay off the bag once it's signed.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you just mentioned like the pregame warm up. You saw batting practice guys come over, talk to the kids, take pictures as you were getting ready for a big Raider game. Could you ever do something like that? How different is you know, preparing hour before take off compared to an hour before first pitch at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the That was. So that's crazy to me because I was like, man, I don't know, I you know, I tried to be gracious. I'll say this, I try to be grace if I saw a kid, obviously I had high five of them or you know, say what's up to them, But to stand there and have a conversation and take the time, and it just meant so much to me, just you know, as a dad, Like it's cool obviously, you know, knowing some of these guys and being friends with some of them, but just as a dad that they would take the time, you know, to you know, sign some baseballs for my kid. You know, Tanner brought out a whole bunch of baseballs for my boys and signed them for them, and all those things, and hisung Kim you know, saying hi to my son and these guys coming over like it just just as a Dad, it means the world, and then it really puts in perspective, you know, the impact that you know I was able to have in my time playing. You know, they just just saying hi to kid, high five, of them throwing them your wristband after a game or a towel or things like that. Just as a parent man, you really do appreciate when the pros, you know, go out of their way to do things like that. And I think that was the biggest thing to me is these guys are obviously great baseball players, but they're really great human beings and that was really cool.
Speaker 2: Derek Carr is our guest, and like I said, Derek, I'm a big Raider and it was a thrill for me to come to camp. A lot of Dodger fans are a huge Raider fans. So if they draft Mendoza, Derek, you meant a lot to a lot of fans and to the organization. You left it all out on the field. How much would you love if the Raiders do what the Dodgers do, for instance, and bring back guys like Ethier and Utley and orl Herscheizer. How would you feel if the Raiders do You have a desire if the Raiders asked you to, you know, kind of mentor Mendoza in training camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I have told I've told my agent. I've told people. I was like, man, if they ever you know, if they ever want me to, you know, come out there and help him in any way. Now, they got so many great coaches, and they got Tom's there and all those things. But I do know that building. I do know our fan base. I do know what you know, know what it means to be a Raider, and if that's something that you know, mister Davis wanted and planting those guys, you know, just to spend some time with him and just shone would's like to be a pro. Know, I tell people, I'm the most upgraded version of you know, of the iPhone. You know, I just got out of it, so I get it. You know, I've seen the coverages. I know these things. And so if that's something that they would like, if that's something that gives him some value, I would absolutely be willing to help him in any.
Speaker 2: Way, maybe be his backup quarterback or maybe be the guy. I mean, I don't know. I saw something where I guess on your podcast Homegrown I don't know if you were having a stream of consciousness talking to yourself, but I guess you you threw it out there that maybe you're you're contemplating a comeback.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's funny, as I said eight months ago, if I was healthy and there's a chance to win a championship, I think any right minded quarterback or professional would would reconsider, right And that's exactly what I said eight months ago. I said it again a few months, you know, a few weeks ago, and everyone blew it up saying I'm coming back, and I was like, guys, my, I'm playing golf, you know, and if I'm training and I'm I'm I'm ready and I'm watching Dodger games. But yeah, baby, if that opportunity, if that opportunity came up, I would consider it. You know, I would definitely say it to a maybe. But for right now, I'm enjoying my family, Like I don't need to play football, you know. I I love my wife way too much to just go play just to play, you know. So I am. I am good watching my kids and pouring into their lives. But if that's something that that ever came up, we'd have to we'd have to have a conversation, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Derek, thank you so much for your time. I've got to ask you one more thing. Since you brought up enjoying playing golf, being with your family, Clayton Kershaw was doing all that until the World Baseball Classic called him to pitch for Team USA. Being a big Dodger fan, Kershaw has been a Dodger your entire fandom. Basically, what does he mean to you as a Dodger fan and as a as a competitor?
Speaker 1: You know, just just watching Clayton over the years, and it's crazy, you know, to see the gray hairs in my beard and to think I've been watching him this whole time. You know, so I've seen I've seen the whole career, and uh, you know it's funny because you know, I watch him and you just respect the competitor. You respect his talents. You know that curveball. Man, it's so fun to watch, right, you know, you know the breaking pitches that guys are just falling on their knees and it's you. You got all these great Then he's sneaking a high heater and they couldn't catch it. You know, just you remember these moments, uh, you know, definitively, But then you get into the person, and I think we could all agree he's an even better person that he is than he is a you know, a pitcher and a baseball player. And and that's saying a lot, obviously. So I appreciate him and what he did for the Dodgers and what he did for baseball, but more importantly, I appreciate who he is as a person, because he's someone I can, you know, show my kids. You know, Hey, he's a great guy to watch his highlights, to root for and uh and all those things and whatever he does in lunch. So, uh, you know, I I pray for his retirement. It's hard watch him, but I'm sure he's liked me. He'll it'll be hard to watch, but he'll also enjoy his body feeling a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Hey, I think we can all agree that what you described us Kershaw off the field is what people say about Derek Carr off the field, and anybody that looked up to you can be very safe in knowing that you live your life the right way. And it's been a pleasure to kind of get to know you. And when I get Rojas and Keyga to sign that second base bag.
Speaker 3: It's going to be on your side.
Speaker 2: Tell David, it's not on his side of the bag, all right, that's on your side of that second.
Speaker 3: Base absolutely no.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you. Hey, David, you're the best man. Thank you so much, and go Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Hey, go Dodgers. And the three pete is on Derek Carr. We'll see you at Dodgers Stadium this year and we can't wait for the new Homegrown podcast to drop this Thursday. Thanks a lot for the time, Derek.
Speaker 1: Yep, I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: You have a going all right, there he goes Derek car former Raiders quarterback, former Saints quarterback, and one thing that is not former is his love for the Dodgers. And after the game today I did tell Miguel Rojas that Derek Carr does have that second base bag from Game six, and he said, hey, tell him, tell him to bring it to Dodgers Stadium. I'll sign it for him. So there you go. We made magic happen already. So thank you to Derek Carr.