Speaker 1: You're extruded, my man. How are you, sir man? If I was any better, I'd be twins buba. How you doing?
Speaker 2: I am doing excellent? Thank you?
Speaker 3: All right, listen, I know I only have a limited amount of time and I got a ton of stuff to cover. Uh, but let me start.
Speaker 2: We're already out of time.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Always good to talk to you, Derek. Yeah, No, it's gonna be good. Good luck at the lyrics. I hope the whole I hope the whole town shows up. No can I can I tell you right off the start, dude, you're you're You're special on Netflix is so goddamn good.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, buddy. I really appreciate that. I'm proud of it.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I mean, just beginning to end. There are so many just really really hard laughs the whole way through. And isn't it killing it for Netflix? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It is. I'm so glad you bring that up. Because the Internet is social media is just you. You wouldn't know it because we're not allowed as comedians.
Speaker 1: Humble is the game.
Speaker 2: I'm not allowed to go on there, which is tempting every day, especially when I get a couple rounds of caffeine and me to get on an Instagram and go, hey, y'all may not know this because social media is delusional, but my Netflix special is doing better than ninety five percent of your favorite comedians.
Speaker 1: Have a blessed day. But I'm not allowed.
Speaker 2: I'm not allowed to do that, so I you know, you just play it humble. But yes, it's doing great. I'm really I'm I'm stoked out of my mind how it's being received. And I kind of I figured that he would do decent because I you know, you get in front of crowds, you work this in front of the entire country. I live in New York City. I can only have dark joakes that land here, So to have that validation has been cool.
Speaker 3: So wait a minute, when you when you say you're not allowed, Derek, when you say you're not allowed to get on social media and say anything, is that like is that because you're you're like as in the comedian world you're not allowed to say anything, or like contractually you're not allowed to say anything.
Speaker 2: In the in the the comedian world, just so you don't okay, like a monster and I mean and it just there's this, you know, just like with a lot of things in your business. My business, there's these politics you got to play, you know. I mean, I'm sure sometimes you want to get on the air and go, hey, I know y'all like this other radio station, but we found them every quarter.
Speaker 1: Thanks for hanging out. So uh but you just can't. It's just it's not a reality. But uh, it's tempting because social media.
Speaker 2: Is all these smoke screens and all these lies. This comedian has a million followers and he's constantly in your face and YadA, YadA YadA. You would never know that my Netflix special I got two hundred thousand followers and I'm trying to come up is crushing theirs and views and retention rates.
Speaker 1: Just not allowed to talk about it. But when I get on the radio, you pay what everyone let them know.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, because I was gonna say, I don't feel like you're shy on social media. Hell, you'll slide into a professional basketball players DMS and just rip.
Speaker 2: Them an ass. Oh I absolutely will. Now when it comes to something like that, you know, it's a different entity, you know, but you're just talking about just running my mouth.
Speaker 1: I will show up. There's no doubt.
Speaker 2: Kendrick Perkins is gonna hear from me. There's no doubt about it. That guy's an idiot. But yeah, and I'm just somebody. I am who I am, and people can take it or leave it. I mean, if you come into the comments and you say something insane, it's not somebody from my office or a robot. I'm responding and I would like a word with you.
Speaker 1: And that's just how I am. Now.
Speaker 3: I want to going back to the special for a second. When you talk about after a hard meal or after a big meal that your family and then the family meal that it looks like a carbon monoxide leak hit the living room.
Speaker 2: Dude, It's so funny how that's like one of the most relatable bit I get emails about. And you ought to see the pictures of living rooms, I get.
Speaker 1: I mean it.
Speaker 2: I mean it looks people are just slumped over furniture and they're like, look at this, what's going on? It happens to all of us, man, you know. And then you're gonna wake up in another twenty minutes and you're gonna be like, I could go for something sweet if you got it, And can I tell you the other?
Speaker 3: Can I tell you the other thing that made me laugh really really hard. Is you get into this whole thing where you're talking about how we need to bring cigarettes smoking back and how much better things would be even though you don't smoke, your parents smoke like crazy.
Speaker 1: That's right, But you need a camel in.
Speaker 2: A long walk, Carol. That made me laugh so hard. Absolutely, No, I mean I come from a smoker's family. That's probably why I do not smoke. I mean, when you're surrounded by it and your jan sport just was drenched in it, it pushing you the other way. But I cannot run from the fact that some of the best people I've ever met in my life were holding a cigarette. So I wanted to do a bit that kind of highlighted that in And I'm telling you, man, I mean, I was just in Lexington, Kentucky, and I'm working on my new hour, but I had to bring back the smoking bit in the tobacco state. And if they weren't weaving so hard, they'd have been laughing their best off.
Speaker 1: I can promise you that.
Speaker 3: Hey, Derek, let me let me ask you this were you're like, like you said, both your both your parents smoked. And by the way, I love I love that your mom is in the is in the special. But the man did your parents because my parents smoked. Listen, I'm doing my part to bring it back. Trust me, I do smoke the But do did your parents do what my parents did? Like before they would go to bed at night? Would they lay in bed and have like one last cigarette together, like it was their last thing before they went to sleep.
Speaker 1: No? No, but that is a hilarious visual. I love that your parents are.
Speaker 2: In bed knocking down a sig. I had two different My mother and father are garage smokers, okay, so they never smoked inside. It was either detached garage or the garage that was attached to the actual house, So they never smoked in the uh and and my dad smoked publicly. My mother was a pretty private smoker. So when I came out and told the.
Speaker 1: Whole world that she smoked, Stacey was.
Speaker 2: A little shook because she just she was always the one that kind of would take a walk and kind of disappear, and you know, my dad's out there, I mean blowing smoke into you know, somebody's holding.
Speaker 1: The oxygen's hank. But never never in bed. That's that's hilarious though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it was it was they they'd have Johnny Carson on, they would have a cigarette, they would finish, they turned the TV off, roll over and go right to bed.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: Right next to the ASHTRAK. It was awesome. Hey.
Speaker 3: So wait, God, when you when you said you were in Lexington and you were working on working on stuff. So when you when you come through at the Lyric your showed for the Running Hot Tours October ninth, that's a whole new hour that has nothing to do with the with the with the Netflix special Nostalgic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Theater Tour is all brand new material.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 2: I'm still doing clubs because you know, we're growing the new Hour. I'm about thirty thirty five minutes in. But when I get to uh, you know, September, that's a whole new hour that's nothing from the Nostalgic special.
Speaker 3: Is it did the did the success in how that that special did? Does that? Does that make the the I don't know if pressure is the right word, Derek. That's a high bar to have to hit, knowing like I just watched the special, I'm gonna go see I'm gonna go see Derek in October. It's gonna be better. That's a high bar, dude, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: It is, and you feel a little bit of that pressure. But you just gotta trust yourself and you gotta you gotta realize that you know that it wasn't a fluke. You know, I've been writing. I got an album that I put out in twenty twenty three called Dinner Twice, And I mean, just after I wrote some of those bits, I go, man, it's gonna be hard for me. And it's and it's not. Your career grows you. You you get better, more prolific. I mean, comedy is one of those fool things where we all have different ceilings, but there's no denying that the more you do it, the better you get at it, the better you're writing gets. So I have my next hour will be even better than the last one, and that's what's really really exciting. You do feel the pressure. This is the first time I've ever wrote another hour under a timeline. You know, in the past, if you if you don't have any heat, you can kind of move at your own speed. But once you have some demand, you get put on the clock.
Speaker 1: And that's been and that and it's still worked out good. For me, just more disciplined.
Speaker 2: You just got to do things with more intention. It was just a little bit of adjustment on discipline. But yeah, man, I got my new hour. I mean I already got some jokes and just Lexington some new stuff have people spitting their teeth.
Speaker 1: So awesome, I'm excited.
Speaker 3: Awesome, Hey can I can I ask you this? I know you're from Harvest, Alabama, and then you then you ended up moving to Denver, and then like you said, New York. What is the where? Where does where?
Speaker 2: Does where?
Speaker 3: Does a kid in Harvest, Alabama? Where does where does comedy come from? Like there's no comedy club in Harvest?
Speaker 2: No, No, But honestly, man, Southerners are some of the funniest people on planet Earth. I mean the way that people all the time will come to me and they go you know, there's something about how you say things on stage, the way you word them, the phrases you used.
Speaker 1: That's all from growing up in the country, right.
Speaker 2: It's like one of those things where you know, and and I like to consider myself I'm a modern day Southern man. I'm not like somebody if you come to the show, you're not gonna get anything. Because I've got a pitchfork and overall's on. I just happen to have a Southern accent. I mean, I'm I'm Bill Burr, raised in the woods up there.
Speaker 1: We're we're very current and then we're on the move.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's uh it. It is an interesting process to kind of find your voice and figure out how to how go about it. But my comedy resonates. You know, the whole country is my market.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, let me be clear. I wasn't. I wasn't trying to make a comment that somebody from Harvest couldn't be a comedian. I'm just trying to think, like, where is where's a comedy club, where's an open mic to go try something out?
Speaker 2: I mean it would be at the mechanic shop. And this guy Yim, Yeah, he left school in the ninth grade and for some reason he can't spail. But everything he says is a damn zinger. It's from the history teacher, you know, in the eleventh grade class, This country dude who's teaching history and making up a few outcomes on his own. You know, you kind of pick it up along the way, and I think you're born with some of it. I was talking to somebody earlier and they were talking about timing. They were like, you're timing on stage and your haadence they go. They were telling me that, you know, complimenting me on it. And I think some of those things are kind of born with because there'll be a seven year old that you'll hear him say a couple things funny, and you can tell that seven year old in the back of your head, you're like that, I don't know where that kid's life is headed, but he's got some timing and so, uh, you.
Speaker 1: Know, some of that should pick up along the way.
Speaker 2: But the South is a funny place, and I grew up in a unique place Huntsville, Alabama. Harvest is right outside of Huntsville, Alabama. So it's a it's a smarter place. It's per capit of most engineers.
Speaker 1: In the country.
Speaker 2: You got NASA Missile Defense. So it's this unique place of you know, people in lifted trucks that have rocket science degrees.
Speaker 3: Hey, by the way, and I know that you say harvested. So what years did you live in Tyson's Corner?
Speaker 2: It was probably one two years old. My parents got married in Tyson's Corner. I was born in Charleston. My grandfather was a professor at George Washington for a few years and Kenneth's Strup and then we lived in Tyson's Corner. I mean, that's why I'm a lifelong I'm a huge Commanders fan.
Speaker 1: Going to the Monday night game.
Speaker 2: This year against Cincinnati. I know I'm not in the right market to be. You know, I don't know if from you know, the lyric, I don't know if all these people are gonna love this. Oh yeah, no, no.
Speaker 3: You're totally fine.
Speaker 2: You are totally fine. But yeah, that's kind of where, you know, where that kind of comes from. We would go to practices as a baby, and then my whole family Commanders fans just from kind of that Tyson's Corner a couple of years being over there.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Hey, a couple of other things real quick, and I know we're gonna run out of time. The the the you talk about like not driving for fifteen years, and I guess there was the dui stories may be true. Didn't you just recently didn't you just recently start driving again?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah I did. I finally did.
Speaker 2: I gave it up for almost sixteen years, and it was just one of those things where I'd never even had a ticket, never been in trouble. Sixteen years ago, I get two DUIs and then just in the moment, I knew an immediate fix was to just never drive again. I go, I bet you, it'll be hard to give me a DUI if I'm walking. And and so that's all true. And people they'll ask me, they'll go, so, did you quit drinking when you got those duys?
Speaker 1: I go, Lord, No, I.
Speaker 2: Had to get through them, you know, I mean, you can't get through them sober. I did quit drinking about four years ago, and it had you know, had nothing to do with the DUIs. I just ran out of steam. But yeah, those are those are for true, for sure true stories. Now now I'm back behind the wheel. We're actually about to hit the road this afternoon. I'm pretty fired up, man. Good for you.
Speaker 1: Swim gems and a gatorade. Gip hey.
Speaker 3: Last thing, last thing is Tony Johnson, a real friend.
Speaker 2: His real name is Tony Spinelli, and that's that's I had to change it to Tony Johnson for the special because I couldn't do my boy like that, even though he doesn't hate the story.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest, it's a great story.
Speaker 2: So what he got pants? He got pants, and and you know he was ahead of us. But yeah, Tony Spinelli and you can tell by that name. Tony'll never hear this, but what a short stop Tony Spinelli was in the fifth grade. My goodness, graceis the guy can eat it up up the.
Speaker 1: Middle, all right.
Speaker 3: Derek Strup will be at the Lyric in Baltimore. The Running Hot Tour will be there October ninth. His special is running on Netflix. It's called Nostalgic Derek. It is goddamn funny. I can't wait to see you in October.
Speaker 1: Oh man, thanks for having me. You guys were great. Man. I'll see you all then. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Derek.
Speaker 1: Gee buddy,