Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. I am really excited to have our next guest join us for the first time over the phone, for the first time technically on Dodger Talk. He was a recurring guest on the pregame show. He only spent one year with the Dodgers, but it was a fantastic year. He was part of the first quartet in Dodger history to drive in one hundred runs in the same season. That was back in twenty twenty three when he hit thirty three home runs and drove in one hundred and three runs for the Dodgers. And we had a special handshake. We connected over me breaking my wrist on the Milwaukee slide in spring training and from that point on, the magic with the Deadfish handshake took off. And that is America's dh JD Mark teen is JD. Great to have you on the show. I miss you, Hey, I.
Speaker 2: Miss you too. Man, It's great talking to you. You are on Bess. How I'm late.
Speaker 1: Life is good. I have not gone down any slides, I haven't broken any ribs. I'm doing okay, thank god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think you're allowed to go to any slides anymore.
Speaker 1: I feel like I have to have some redemption. Maybe go on a fishing boat with you, or maybe do some some skiing with you. Maybe we can work that out.
Speaker 2: Oh that would be great. I would love nothing more. I would love to see than skiing down the slopes, especially knowing how fragile you are.
Speaker 1: JD didn't know who the hell I was until he saw the slide highlight one spring training moment, and then from that point on, Uh, it was. It was a great year in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was a blooper that was being run on TV. I remember seeing that. I'd be like, oh my gosh, who is that guy? And everyone's like, that's David, that's our media guy. I said, I got to beat this guy. How do you break your hands sliding down a slide? I've never heard of.
Speaker 1: That, dude. It was a fast ride. It was a fast slide. I don't know I slowed it down. I feel like I did everybody of public service.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: Hey, JD. Martinez is living his best life. He's fishing nearly every day out there in Florida. He was just in Park City, Utah skiing and now he's in the ohright, oh sorry, sorry, Aspen. Yes, that's uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I had a lot of homers. I get to go to Aspen, a.
Speaker 1: Lot of dingers for JD Martinez to go to Aspen. And now he's in the desert for the Desert Smash in Lakina starting on Monday. He's a celebrity pickleball player. Now, I mean, is that the level of pickleball you're at right now where you're a celebrity?
Speaker 2: I mean pretty much. I mean I don't know. I mean it's if my back could hold up a little bit more, I think I can kind of get good at it, but I always run into my back issues, you know, And was it for that, I think I'd be, you know, out there competing, trying to compete more. But I'm excited for it. I'm excited. I know a lot of there's gonna be a lot of pros out there. There's gonna be a lot of really good players, and I'm excited to go and you know, play alongside of them. It'll be fun. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Will Ferrell is supposed to be one of the other celebrities with JD Martinez. Maybe you could be doubles like Krushaw's ping pong tournament.
Speaker 2: I remember that. Yeah, Kershaw kind of Kershaw rigged that ping pong tournament so he would win. I know it.
Speaker 1: So who's a better pickleball player? You or Mookie Betts?
Speaker 2: Oh? I don't know. I think I'm gonna have to say me. I'm sorry, Smoke. I love him, but I think I got them. I'll just play more though. That's the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. I mean, how do you have back problems when you play pickleball? You barely move?
Speaker 2: I mean, what are you talking about? You got to stop bend over. There's a lot of things you gotta do.
Speaker 1: I don't see it.
Speaker 2: A lot of things you do.
Speaker 1: I don't see why this is such a phenomenon across the country.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's addicted. It's so addicted.
Speaker 1: Why Why is it because you little ping pong and you move around a little bit. I know you're a competitor, but what makes you so good to bring your game to the desert smash and really want to fly across the country to be part of this.
Speaker 2: I mean it's one of those things you know, you get invited. It's a cool experience. Uh, you get to go alongside and test your test your skills against some of the pros out there. So it's definitely a you know, nothing I like more than a good challenge. So I'm excited to just go out there and see what I went. Earlier this year, I went to Dallas for a for the same kind of thing, and I got to play against Dirk Novisky and Carol Owens and Tifu and it was just fun. It's a fun, cool experience. And we got to go up against some of the pickleball pros like Ben Jons and of course they put me on singles against Annaalie Waters, who's probably the best pickleball player ever, and I got absolutely demolished. It was a very humbling experience for him, and I truly enjoyed it. All right, Yeah, it's just good. It's good fun.
Speaker 1: How did you do against Dirk Nowitzki? I would say he has the length on you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dirk, I got I got him though. I beat him though, Yeah, he's got it. He definitely got the length on me. But he's it's a little hard for him to, you know, bend over, he's so tall, so I was able to keep the ball low on him.
Speaker 1: Okay, explain this to me. In pickleball, you always hear everybody talk about the kitchen, the kitchen. Can you explain to us what the kitchen is in pickleball?
Speaker 2: All right? The kitchen is that little it's like the boss that's outlined right next to the net, and in the kitchen, you can ever go into the kitchen unless the ball goes in the kitchen. Got right. You can. You can reach in there, but you can't touch the ground in the kitchen unless the ball bounces in the kitchen. Once the ball bounces in the kitchen, then you can go in there and hit the ball. Then you're allowed to You're allowed to go over in the kitchen. It just keeps people back so that not everybody would just run to the net, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, so once the ball bounces in the kitchen, that's when you can play it. Yeah, exactly, Okay, thank you. I appreciate you explaining that to me. I I'm going to try it one of these days. But I feel like I need a bigger challenge than pickleball in my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I don't know if pickleball is a sport for you, though, David, this is the issue. You know, you're you're a little because you're a little fragile. I don't see a lot of athleticism from you. Uh, you're gonna need hand eye coordination, reaction. I think there are a lot of skills that you don't have. So I don't know what kind of a you know, advise you to stay away from it. It's got a lot of injuries in the pickleball game.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you. I appreciate your concern. How about fishing for swordfish? How about fishing for swordfish?
Speaker 2: Hey, we could go. We could go. I got my boat down here and you can come down whenever you want. Oh, man, enjoyable. You don't make me feel like.
Speaker 1: I'm on vacation every time I watch you on Instagram on the boat. I mean, you are living your best life after just basically dedicating your previous what thirty years to baseball. I mean, I love that you're enjoying yourself.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. Man, It's been fun. Honestly, I kind of pick A and I one adventure to do every month, and I try to go out there and do it. I'm a dad now, so you know I have that currently pushing my daughter around a little a little car thing. Oh yeah, I'm not on adventures, but I'm not on my one adventure a month. I come back and I'm playing dad for the next three weeks, you know. So I try to just enjoy it and make the best out of it.
Speaker 1: But that George Clooney beard is still perfectly fine. It has not even gotten too long. It is perfect for JD. Martinez and you still have your I.
Speaker 2: Keep it clean, yeah, yeah, keep it clean. I got, I got, I got a few more white hair than it now. But I'm good.
Speaker 1: How since you were known for being a cage rat, how liberating is your life now that you don't have the burden of having to be America's dh.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's amazing. I love it. People are like, how are you enjoying it? I'm like, they're like, do you miss it? I'm like, I miss the boys. I miss everything's feeling good and my body's feeling good, But I don't miss the preparation and all that stuff that goes into it to get my body ready just to go out there and have four back in the game and everything I have to do. That's that's definitely a burden. You know that's been taking off my shoulders in.
Speaker 1: Twenty three with the dodge. How long would it take you to get ready for a game?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. I mean I said ever since spot like twenty twenty, twenty twenty one, I think is when it started. It would probably take me like an hour on the training room table and then an hour in the gym, and then from there I'm kind of ready to start batting practice and get ready to go, you know, like get my body moving around.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. I mean, people don't understand that you guys show up well before first pitch, not an hour before, especially guys like you. And I used to hear Chase Suttley at the end of his career showing up at noon for a seventy ten game just to get ready.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean for me, I was a little bit different, you know. I mean, no one really understood this, but I was. You know, I would wake up in the morning at nine ten o'clock, eat breakfast, and go to the cage and do my whole you know, what I would work on the night before, what I was going to work on that day that I saw the night before, I was gonna go and I was gonna, you know, go test it out and go to the cage for like an hour, hour and a half and then go and start my like, you know, go to the field around twelve one o'clock and start my day there. So my day really started around like nine ten o'clock.
Speaker 1: And and now, do you did you have any withdrawals last year your first year out of the game, and how did you get over those withdrawals?
Speaker 2: I definitely didn't have any withdrawals, for sure. Zero withdrawals. Yeah, my withdrawals was like the guys hanging out with the guys in the clubhouse talking crap, like the bus rides like that kind of stuff. You know. That was that was what I missed. But I'm still able to do all that here. You know, I have my whole morning routine here that I do, and I started doing, you know, doing things I've never been able to do. Last year was you know, taking these trips, learning how to free dive, learning like you know, just different styles of fishing and trying to go and go on like you know, crazy adventures where we take the boat. I mean, we did a few trips this year. We took the boat one hundred and fifty miles out in the middle of nowhere, stuck on the boat for three days and just fish for three days like some like more hardcore stuff than ever been able to do.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: It's been. It's been great, dude, it's been fun.
Speaker 1: Next, the Dodger sucked you back in last year when we were in Tampa. It was it was out there that that you got sucked back in to be the mookie whisperer to help him try to get out of the season long slump. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean me and MUK go way back, so you know, for him, I definitely made the exception of coming out and going out there and spending a weekend with them and you know, trying to get him back on track. It was like, God, a few times we did it? Did it? I did it there? And then I did in l A too.
Speaker 1: Did you really?
Speaker 2: So? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Help him with? What do you help him with?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 1: Why does J. D. Martinez connect with him so much?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean I think we both a want of trust. He trusts me, uh he you know, he values my opinion on everything. And from there it was kind of one of those things where we just we work well together, and I don't know, I feel like I just have a really good understanding of his swing and his mind. You know, Mooke's Mooke's you know, unbelievable, unbelievable talent, as everybody knows. He's just sometimes this game it just derails you sometimes and you need someone to you know, lock it back in. You know. Robert, Robert was that guy. Robert was that guy for me. You know, every time I would get derailed, Robert would kind of guide me back in and it was a lot of trust that I put into him, and it always kind of works. Sometimes you just got to turn your brain off and let someone else think for you, cause you just get in your own way.
Speaker 1: Mooki's coming to camp earlier than I've ever seen him come to camp to work since twenty twenty. Do you expect him you know, there's a lot of people that expect the beginning of the end last year for Mooki. Do you expect him to have you know, more of a Mooki type year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you just the thing with Muke is you just you know, you never know, he just turns on a switch and all of a sudden, he doesn't get out for freaking three months and you're like, what the heck just happened. It's like Freddie. You know, they're able to just go on these runs where you're like, good luck, you know. So for me to see that, I always for me, I always expect MOOKI to have a great year. You know. I tell him every I tell him all the time. I said, Muke, I said, there's no reason that you can't win MVP every single year because you have that kind of ability.
Speaker 1: And if I mean to you again this year, would you answer the phone? Would they be able to suck you back into the cage?
Speaker 2: I mean, if Mookie called me, yeah, I definitely would, you know, I mean, Muskie's my guy.
Speaker 1: So what what it.
Speaker 2: Always been, We've always had a bigger relationship.
Speaker 1: I wanted I wanted you to be part of what they got now. But watching it the last two years, do you even watch their games? Did you even watch the World Series?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, The World Series is unbelievable. I mean it's kind of it was. It was unreal games with you know, Toronto, and it was it was crazy. It was crazy. It was just crazy. You know, there were so many times you thought Toronto was going to win the game. They were just right there and I was like, Oh, if they don't score here, they're not going to win this type thing. And you know, the Dodgers just you guys just had that veteran you know, leadership and presence and it's just a veteran club. And you give you give those guys with that much talent enough opportunities, they're gonna you guys are going to find a way for sure. And I think that's what happened.
Speaker 1: Hey, JD. Martinez is going to be at the big Smash in Lakenta beginning on Monday, the Desert Smash. But I got to ask you when you were at the Red Sox and you guys beat the Dodgers. Chris Sale did heroic things, including you know, coming out of the bullpen in game five, where would you rank with where what Yamamoto did in game six and seven?
Speaker 2: Especially unreal, unbelievable. You know, Nadi Valdi was our guy, that he was our Yama Moto in that twenty eighteen run. But what I mean what Yamamoto did was I mean, it was definitely the reason he won the MVP. I mean that was ridiculous. I faced him one time in twenty twenty, twenty twenty four with the Mets at our place and it was freezing, and I remember he was throwing himself, like Jesus, how does anybody hit this guy? This guy's nasty. He didn't know what the hell the ball was gonna do. It was like playing with the ball at ninety seven miles an hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he is, you know, he is small in stature and his hands aren't as big as Pedro Martinez JD. But I don't know he found something after he came off the IL in twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was. I mean he was feeling it. He felt great. You could see it that he felt great, and he just rode that whole wave, you know, and he was just he was lighted out.
Speaker 1: Where were you watching Game seven of the World Series on a boat somewhere? Where were you?
Speaker 2: Now? No, it was actually watching game on the games earlier, like on a boat. Me and alex Avila were on his boat. He's got a sixty eight foot Vikings, beautiful boat, and we were on his boat watching it. But the game seven, I was on my I was on my couch with my friends and I was I was standing up the whole game. I was like, oh my god, this is crazy. There was I mean, there were so many plays the play at the plate that Blue Jays had bases loaded, like two three times. You guys had bases loaded. No one to get it no longer, you know, drive in that last run. And I was like, oh, this is not looking good for Toronto. I already see it. You can't give these guys this amount of opportunities, you know. And it was just I mean, kudos to the Dodgers man, and you know what Andrew's been able to do there. It's unbelievable the team he's been able to put together.
Speaker 1: Do you think they repeat this year?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's hard to see it. It's hard to say no, you know. I mean it's hard to say no. It's just one of those things where, I mean, that's the lineup, the pitching, Like, there's not many weaknesses the Dodgers have. It's just the only weakness that they have is that they've been to the World Series, you know, the last two years and they've won. So that's a lot of wear and tear on the bodies. And that's the only downside you you look at when you see a team like that, trying to go back and threepeat. I mean, it's not a lot of the teams have done it. It's so tough with health, you know, you got to keep everybody healthy and those those leverage innings, those things that you know, like what Yamamoto was able to do, we saw it in twenty eighteen coming back in twenty nineteen with Rick Porcello and David Price, that you could see those guys had to really stretch it out in eighteen and they kind of caught up to them in nineteen. So that's just that's the hardest part about you know, about the playoffs and pushing it that long because you don't know, you know, the wear and tear you create because you're just so much adrenaline going through you in those games.
Speaker 1: Well, he would know. He beat the Dodgers with the Red Sox in twenty eighteen. He finished his career with three hundred and thirty one home runs, and his most magical season was not in Boston. It was right here in La in my opinion, just kidding JD. That was that was my favorite year. We had so much Yeah, man, we had so much fun. And uh uh, I hope you come back to La. I hope the Dodgers can find a place for you, because you do have a lot to offer. But at the very least, the Mookie whisperer always has a bat phone for Mookie to call to get him back on track. I feel like you you're more than Mookie's whisper. You have a lot to offer to a lot of guys. JD. So uh, maybe when you dock the boat you could go to the cache and help guys.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. We'll see, we'll see. I miss I miss you too, buddy. I've always been watching I'm watching you. I watch all your interviews every now and then to see who else. Uh you're giving that debtfish handshake to I tried with Conforno.
Speaker 1: It got him going for a week, but you know, it can only do so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel that.
Speaker 1: Now people are talking about my nipples instead of my wrist and my dead fish handshake now, Oh no, for real? Oh yeah. During the celebration, it went, uh, you.
Speaker 2: Know, with got to be something k did h Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was that and they showed it on Jimmy Kimmel and it became.
Speaker 2: A fan's that's right up K's Alley.
Speaker 1: All right, j D, I can talk to you forever.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I know it's great to share you again with Dodger fans. It was a great excuse to have you on since you're gonna be on the West coast. Lakinta, the pick A Ball Smash coming up on Monday, and uh, I can't wait to see some photos on on your ig and uh, man you were. You're a special guy and that's why to this day, so many guys still uh still miss America's d H.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it, David, thank you, thanks so much for having me, buddy.
Speaker 1: We'll do it again soon. JD.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot, definitely, Man, I'll talk to you later.