Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun. Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth fifth.
Speaker 3: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Here we go again.
Speaker 3: We're got to running Back, hosted by Dodgers in Cider David Bassett are three in the mix. Dodger Talk is brought to you by La County Public Works Champions recycled beverage containers make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital LA from Colds to Cancer. We got this to get in on the show called eight six six not eighty seven two five seven day and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. And now your host Here's Tim Kakes.
Speaker 1: Greetings and welcome to Off nine Dodger Talk here on AM five seventy, LA's Horse Live Everywhere on the IHAR Radio app. I am Tim Kats with you here for the next hour and I'll want you to be a part of the show. To nine eighty six six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy as your Dodgers Off Tonight. Tomorrow they start a road trip in Denver with the first of four against the Colorado Rockies. As the Dodgers sit atop the NL West Aster eighteen games, they are fourteen and four, and now they've got a stretch of thirteen games in thirteen days beginning with the four game wrap around series. It starts tomorrow at Corsfield and we'll finish on Monday. Then the Dodgers will head to San Francisco for a three game series next Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday before returning home. But the Dodgers now embarking on a stretch in which the depth is gonna be tested, and the depth of the starting pitching is gonna be on full display in my mind, and the Dodgers with a six man rotation here in the month of April, especially going to this stretch where they're not gonna have a day off for two weeks, playing every single day. To see six man rotation for Dave Robertson this Dodgers team moving forward until they can finally come up for air and get a break on the schedule. Eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five seven. We got a lot to get to over the next hour, including a farm report coming up in seven forty five. Yes, the minor league season is about three and a half weeks old, and we're starting to see some of the Dodgers' top prospects do their thing. We'll give you an update on host Way Depaula's i hear Hope and Ward o'quinteraro, Emil Morales who was in Ontario with the Tower Buzzers, Kindle George. Some of the Dodgers' top minor league prospects. Guys, you're gonna see tomorrow how they're doing today down in the minor leagues. Jackson Ferris, an update on River Ryan, who's in Triple A, Oklahoma City, working his way back from Tommy John surgery. So that is coming up in seven forty five. We'll give you an update on how those Dodgers' top minor leaguers are doing, including James Tibbs the third, who hit another home run last night, a four hundred and thirty nine foot bomb in Triple A with the com He is just absolutely knocking on the door to get to the major league level. Unfortunately, right now there's just not enough room for James Timms, the third with the Los Angeles Dodgers. But whenever the case is, they need somebody to come up and play outfield and get some at bats. No doubt James Tims the Third will be wearing a Dodger uniform soon. They Dodgers did make a move today. Yes, they acquired right handed pitcher Chase McDermott from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for right handed pitcher Axel Perez. Now McDermott twenty seven year old in Triple A Norfolk with Baltimore. Want to know the six to seventy five Erora he will be in Triple A Oklahoma City. Another arm for the Dodgers to go to, a big right hander that the Dodgers now having their stable of arms down in the minor leagues. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the number. Woke up today and I saw an article on the California Post from Dylan Hernandez, long time columnus here in Southern California had covered the Dodgers for a long time the La Times, and it opened up my eyes and got me thinking, Wow, the Dodgers seriously have a debate on what to do with show Heyotani, and in my opinion, there is a decision to be made, and quite frankly, it's not as easy as you think. The Dodgers last night, a couple hours before the game, released the starting lineup and show Hey Otani was not a two way player. Otani was the starting pitcher. Shoe Altani went out last night and absolutely dealt against the New York Mets when six innings ten strikeouts kept you know, the Mets in check. Last night, shoe Aotani did his thing, but it was for the first time since twenty twenty one that he pitched a game and did not hit in the game. Now, in twenty twenty two, they changed it to the Otani rule, so when he comes out, he can stay in the game. But last night, Dalton Russia was a designated hitter and Shoe Aotani was only the starting pitcher. Dave Roberts told David Vasse and the media before the game that after getting hit on the right shoulder on Monday night by a pitch in the series opener, he was still sore and just for precautionary reasons, they didn't want him to also have to bat, just concentrate on pitching, and again he went out there six innings, struck out ten, and the Dodgers got the winning to sweep over the New York Mets. Dylan Hernandez wrote, don't overthink it. Dodgers must let show Heyotani hit even when he pitches. And I literally stopped in my tracks this morning, thought do they should they? I don't think they necessarily need show hey Otani the hitter on nights and when he pitches. And let me lay this out for you at eight six, six, nine, seven, five seventy because it's it's it's not as simple as you think. It's not as black and white as you would think. Yes, he's a hitter when he pitches, or no, they have another designated hitter in his spot when he's a starting pitcher. Yeah. They signed show Heyo Tani to a seven hundred million dollar deal a couple of off seasons to go, the most lucrative deal in baseball history, because he is a unicorn, because he can do two things at an elite level that nobody else has done or will do. Be a starting pitcher at an elite level and be a hitter at an elite level. Now show heo Tani. Whatever he does, he does it at a just different level than everybody else. Show Hey has won MVPs, Shoe Heo Tani has been an All Star show Heo Tani is now a two time World Series Champion. He was the Rookie of the Year. He was an MVP in the NLCS. He's a four time MVP in both the American League now in the National League. He was a National League RBI leader. He's a fifty to fifty player with the fifty home runs in the fifty stolen bases. He has done it all except win a Cy Young and if you're show Hey O Tani, and he hasn't public coming, you know, as far as I know come out and said this, But I've seen quotes from Dalton Rushing and Will Smith when asked about it. Yeah, it's certainly on his mind. In something that he would want to do is check another box and win a Cy Young Award with the Dodgers All Star World Series Champ, MVP four different times, Silver Slugger Award, Rookie of the Year, home run leader twice. He has done almost everything you can do in baseball except when a Now I understand individual awards you don't really look at and you know, will you want to harp on? And it's a team sport. I get all that. But two years ago, Shoeyo Tani, the hitter, was coming back from Tommy John surgery. Two years ago he hit fifty plus home runs and stoled over fifty bases, something he had never done before individually in his career. Certainly not anybody has done that collectively until he did it two years ago. Fifty home runs, fifty stolen bases, And because he wasn't pitching, Shoeyotani said, what can I work on? What can I go after? What can I be better at? What can I master? If you will stolen bases, set a goal, stole fifty plus bases, hit fifty plus home runs, did something nobody had ever done before. Again, will you do that again? Probably not because of the dynamic of him pitching now, in the stress and the physical toll that it puts on you having to pitch once a week. But now that he has accomplished all that he has accomplished in his career, and the Dodgers are as good as they are, why not have show Aotani just pitch and not hit once a week eight sixty six, nine, eight seven, two, five seventy. I kind of did an informal poll among some friends, some text messages, and some people here in the building, just walking around here in Anti seventy LA Sports and down the hall on our sister station KFI AM sixty, and it was kind of split about, Well, you got him for a reason, he said, two way superstar. Even when he's pitch, he's got a hit, right, they need him in the lineup. A couple of other folks said, well, yeah, I mean, the lineup is so good. Why do they need him one day a week when he's hitting the other days. I can't just focus on pitching that one day. And I thought to myself, Yeah, you're right. This Dodgers team is so good. This Dodgers team is so talented top to bottom. And we're seeing five through nine continue to produce the pot hezs of the world. Alex Freelan, contributing Miguel Rojas one through nine. It is such a deep lineup. The One Night Show, Hey Otani is pitching, why not just let him dial in on pitching, focusing on pitching, and have somebody else designated hit that night. Last night it was Dalton rushing. Maybe you rotated to get somebody off their feet, Max Munsey. One week, you can put somebody over at third you know, maybe it's a Freddie Freeman's DHA. One night, you can put Dalton Rushing at first base. You know, there's ways to do it with Will Smith getting off his feet and being a dh That's something that the Dodgers have thought about this year, is giving Dalton Rushing more time behind the plate, more at bats to get Will Smith off of his feet. Listen, I say this knowing when you get to October it's different. But over the course of one hundred and sixty two games, Dodger fans think about it. To save show Hey, to make sure he's healthy. Why not have him just pitch those knights that he's on the mound and not worry about hitting, not worry about running off the mound and putting on the armor eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seven. I think it's a fascinating conversation that I wonder if the Dodgers are truly having and thinking about. And it's gonna take going to show Hey and laying him out and explaining why it works, why it doesn't work. Why you're pro this, whatever direction you go, but I think it's worth looking at. Right. Let him once a week, and it looks like Wednesdays are the days, the off days on Thursdays. I mean, they're trying to line it up best with an off day after he pitches. It's a six man rotation right now. The Dodgers have made it very clear that they're so deep they're gonna have guys throw once a week. It's not just Otani with a six man rotation in the off days. You now have your starting staff go one day a week. If that's the case, show Hey, the hitter is there every other day for you. If you're worry about show Hey and keeping him fresh, keeping him going, keeping him healthy through the course of one hundred and sixty two games and not getting burnt out, I mean, heck, what did we hear last week in Toronto in the final game of the road trip, Well, show Hey, Otani tired final game of the road trip back east in Washington, DC. In Toronto, he's got a pitching the getaway day on Wednesday, off day the next day. But you know, didn't have that stuff that we saw before out of show, hey, well, you know what, if he doesn't have to worry about hitting and you can alleviate that for at least one game a week, why not. Why not? You've got depth on this team, assuming everybody is healthy. It's an embarrassment of riches that this team has. You can give some abs to somebody else and show he can dial in and on pitching, and you can save the wear and tear of his body. That's the big thing. The wear and tear is alleviated for at least once a week with him only pitching and not having to worry about hitting. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. I think it's a valid question. Now when you get to October, do you want to have his bat in the lineup every single game? Yes, So you have to come up with some sort of plan to ramp him back up, maybe in September where he's back in the line of hitting. But I'm talking about over the course of this season. It's April sixteenth, folks. You can't afford to have Show a burnout by July and August. You can't have anybody on this team wharing and tear, just taking a toll on him. Over the course of one hundred and sixty two before they even get to October. If the regular season and the Dodgers have proven it they can go through a regular season, win the division with the ease, win series after series, and get ready for October and crank it to another level, then why not throw this into the equation of having him just pitch once a week and an night that he pitches, he's not a hitter eight sixty six, nine eighty seven to two five seventy. There's so many ways that can splinter off this conversation, and I heard it all day today and it's fascinating. The argument of well, that's stupid, Tim, because October, why would you not have his bat in the lineup? Well, again, you get back to October and that this plan is thrown out. I'm talking about over the course of one hundred and sixty two, over the course of the grind of a season, if you can alleviate some of that grind, some of that physical toll on him. I mean, in my mind right now, if you're driving around, if you remember last week in Toronto, kind of envisioned last week at the Roger Center in Toronto, show Heyotani came out to pitch the bottom of the first inning last week against the Blue Jays, and I remember this as clear as that. I can see it right now because Rick and Tim talked about it on the broad or Steven and Rick talked about it. They said, show, hey Otani, he's got dirt up and down his chest and on his pants because he had to dive back when he was on base. That's something you know see all the time, the starting pitcher already covered in dirt in the first inning. Well, you can alleviate the wear and tear of that thirty times a year by just having them as a pitcher. I think it's worth at least looking into. Is Showy gonna want to do it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Is he gonna agree to it? Probably not? But I think it's something if you're an analytical driven team, and let's face it, professional sports is all about analytics right now. And what's the word in basketball? We all cringe when we hear I'll give you a second to think about it, and we all can say it out loud together. What's the word in the NBA in basketball that we have heard over the last few years, and every time we hear it. We cringe load management. Oh, these guys can't play eighty two games in the NBA. Oh these guys can't play back to back. Oh, these guys can't do this because they're gonna get hurt. Well, I'm not gonna go to say that's the l word for show hey Otani in this instance, because he's not sitting the rest of the week. He's still grinding the five or six other games that you're playing that week, depending on the schedule. All you're doing during a large portion of the regular season. And I'm not smart enough to even look at this or figure it out, but I'm sure there are people that are smart enough in the analytical the world. You can look at the map, out the schedule, when he's gonna start, when you start ramping him back up, when you put him back in the lineup, knowing that in October you are going to have to have him in the lineup. If he starts Game one, he has to be in the lineup. If he starts Game two, or whatever game he starts, if he starts multiple starts in a series, you got to have his bat there. You just do, because you have to have the best lineup out there. For your team, and he in the lineup provides that. I just bring it up for the course of the regular season. A Wednesday game in Toronto last night, a Wednesday night final game of a series against the New York Mets. Does he really have to go through the wear and tear of having to hit three or four times when you ask him to go out there and throw almost one hundred pitches, strike out ten, and go six innings for you to pick up the win. And I haven't even looked to see how many people are are ready to go and talk about this. I think, oh, I got one line open eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two, five seventy. But for those who first thing you want to say is if you do this, though, Tim, what happens? You can't have that great game that he had in the NLCS where he struck out ten, he hit three home runs. Okay, stop right there. How many times that ever happened before happened once? You think it's gonna happen fifteen times, twenty times when he makes starts this year, it's not gonna happen. That was a once in a lifetime game that we're gonna talk about forever. So I don't want to hear that argument because that probably will never happening, and if it does, it just further proof of the guy's a unicorn what she already is. And we know that he's the greatest player I've ever seen. But I want to see him healthy and I want to see him out there. And if your show, Hey Otani, and you haven't won a cy Young Award, Hey, you know what, maybe dial back the amount of bats I get and I won't hit on those days that I'm pitching so I can win a cy Young Award. I think it's worth bringing up. I really do. Dylan Hernandez California Post said, don't overthink it. Dodgers must leto Tani hit even when he pitches. I don't know. Eight sixty six nine eight seven, five seventy. We'll take a break, we'll come back. I got one line open, jump on board. Let's talk about it. I think it's a discussion worth having. And don't call me an idiot, don't say I'm stupid. I think it's something to at least kick around. If you can give shoe Aotani once a week to deal and give you six innings, put up zeros, strikeout eight to ten, have an erora under two. Guys gonna win games, He's gonna rack up the strikeouts, he's gonna win a cy young and then the other five or six days of the week he could be your designated hitter and still hit thirty five home runs. For you. There's the best of both worlds here, and for longevity, because look at he's not Benjamin Button. He's not getting any younger. He's not twenty seven, he's not twenty six. He's down north to thirty. Got factor. All this in am I crazy? Eh? We'll talk about it with you eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. Thanks for listening. Off night Dodger Talk, Tim Kates, Ronnie Fossio and you. You're on a five to seventy ELA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Dodger Talk continues here on this Thursday night. Tim Kates with you here until the top of the hour. Dodgers in Denver as they start a stretch of thirteen games in thirteen days, beginning with a four game series at Corus Field beginning tomorrow. Tyler Glass now will be on the mount in these series opener first pitch at five point forty Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck, will get it all started at four thirty. It's a four game wrap round series, so weird Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday finale from Denver and then Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday in San Francisco against the Giants. Dodgers fourteen and four on this season, but nipping at their heels. It's the San Diego Padres who continued to win. They're beating up on the Mariners right now down at Petco Park after a come from behind win last night. Giants won earlier today snapped their losing streak. Angels won in New York. Mike Trout hit five home runs in this series, first player opposing player at Yankee Stadium to hit four home runs in a series in four consecutive days. So a lot happened in the world of baseball, including your phone calls eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five to seventy. Moving forward in the regular season, should the Dodgers just let O Taani pitch and not have him serve as the DH on those days that he pitches. Certainly every other day he is the designated hitter and leadoff hitter for Dave Roberts and the Dodgers. But last night, because to the shoulder, you know, getting hit by a pitch on Monday, they elected to have Dalton Rushing serve as a designated hitter, and it was only the pitcher show. Eotani struck out ten over six innings to get the win eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five to seventy. Michael and Covena start things off on this Thursday night. How do Michael?
Speaker 4: I'm good, Tim, I trust you're good. I feel like we might have played against each other once upon a time, village Christian versus Marinatha. But I want to tell you that Dalton Rushing is a masher and if he was a full time catcher somewhere, he'd be top ten. We just happened to have the best catcher in baseball. So we all said, have Otani, who like you said, is a unicorn, an amazing hitter, we can't leave him off and load management is BS and I just don't buy into any of that sort of thing. So therefore I'm saying, put O'tani in right field, but definitely find a way to let Dalton Rushing mash because that's what he does, all right.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the phone call, Michael. I don't think that really addresses the question though, more of a Dalton rushing getting him more. AB's solution, which you know is great and will Smith. The goal is to get him off his feet more than in years past. Again, these guys aren't getting any younger, and over the course of one hundred and sixty two, you don't want to tax out guys. By the time you get to September, they've got, you know, fatigue and soreness, and you want to be good to go.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Of course you're going to have some of that, but you want to alleviate as much as possible and stay healthy. With the course of one hundred and sixty two and with the six man rotation here in April through the end of the month, because of the schedule, the Dodgers have the fortune of having enough starting pitching to allow guys to pitch just once a week. And that being said, when he does pitch once a week here in April, May, June, July, August, maybe save some of that wherein tar and just keep him as a pitcher and let somebody else dh on those one game a week when he does pitch, something to think about, and certainly getting some conversations started here, David and Lomb's welcome.
Speaker 5: How you doing, David, we're taking my call.
Speaker 1: Sure, what do you think?
Speaker 6: You know, I totally agree with you one hundred and ten percent. You know, on the night set he's pitching. Let somebody else, you know, take up the load. Like he said, you know, you don't want to burn him out. But here's the thing. If, and this is a big if, if we're in a dogfight for the division, you know, Arizona. I'm not too worried about, you know, San Francisco, Colorado wanna bees. But if we're in a dogfight for the division and it's gonna make, you know, make us or break us, then I say, yeah, go ahead, you know, let him be, let him be the two position player that he is, let him swing, let him pitch. So we need to win the division, and we want to get back to October.
Speaker 1: Sure, I appreciate that I preface this all with Certainly, when you get to October, he is going to be the DH and he's gonna pitch in the games he does pitch, He's gonna do both he'll be that two way player. And maybe if the terms dictated that he needs to do both, then yes, you let him do both. But if there's a chance to alleviate some of the stress and physical grind on a guy, why not give him that opportunity, Even if for the first half of the season, Even if it's April and May and June, and then the second half of the season when it's hot and we're getting ready for postseason baseball, you know he's back to being that two way player once a week hitting and pitching when he makes the start. But if I guess it's just in my mind, if you could get him three less at bats in the game and let him just dial in pitching in April and May. I mean, I don't have the stats in front of me. I don't have the physical numbers to say, yes, the toll will be this percent is less and it's gonna be less. This on his arm, my eyes, in my mind, just tell me, hey, that's a less workload for a guy in April, May and June. We know what he can do, and the Dodgers have an abundance of talent. Now, if this were a Dodgers, let's just be real. If this were a Dodgers team that was not who they are one through nine and have talent just oozing in the lineup every single night, then of course this doesn't happen. But when you've got a guy in Dalton Rushing that you can come in and be a DH once a week, or Will Smith is the DH. When Dalton Rushing catches that one time a week that show A pitches, it's three or four bats that he is sacrificing to be a pitcher only in April, May and June. That's the point. So what let him do that? And you know what, I'm pretty sure if you let him just focus on pitching, even for the first half of the season, you're gonna see the wins, You're gonna see the strikeouts, you're gonna see the record for him be really good, the eer be really good, and the guy is probably gonna be in contention to win a cy Young in the National League. So again, he hasn't done it. I'm assuming he'd love to be a cy Young Award winner. Jason and Corona. Welcome to Dodger Talk on AI seventy l A Sports Live. Everyone on the iHeartRadio app how you doing.
Speaker 7: Jason, Hey, Tim, thanks for taking my call. Man. Look, brother, I got to agree with you one hundred percent. People have to understand out there that Dave Roberts is playing chess and managing workload in a season as long as baseball season. I am a firm believer in the team is so talented. I'll be honest with you. Send show Hay to King Kun for two months. This team is good enough to win and show Hey can lay on the beach and rest. I would rather have his big time super bombs in September and October than in April. So I'm a firm believer of it. You know, let Dalton rushing, get Will Smith off his feet more, run a six man rotation, do all that stuff, as long as we stay on top and the division on for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Jason, I appreciate it. I'm going to add this to the conversation. And again this is, you know, something that I doubt will happen. I think should be brought up. But in my opinion, because I just was double checking whin the show, his birthday fifth, Okay, he's thirty one going on thirty two, not getting any younger, got more years left on this contract, and we want him to be healthy for as much as his contract as possible because he is so much fun to watch and the greatest player ever and had to treat every time he's out there. Okay, he's also a guy who's had Tommy John surgery twice. He's had his arm worked on twice. Folks. There's no need to put a thirty one thirty soon to be thirty two year old this summer two times surgery on his two times he's had surgery on his arm, and now going out there and making thirty thirty two starts, and every time he makes a start, he's gotta make three or four at bats at the plate. You're gonna wear him at out. And I know he's being paid a lot of money. Don't tell me, Oh, he's being paid. Who cares. No, He's an investment that you want to take care of. That's why I bring this up. And the whole thing was seeing a columns. They don't overthink it. Dodgers must let show Hey hit even when he pitches. I don't think I'm overthinking it. I think I'm being practical. I think I'm being pretty. I don't know responsible for my investment in a seven hundred million dollar player and wanting to maximize the most out of him over the course of his career. Again, this is a Dodgers team that has so much talent. You could do this if this were a Dodgers team that, oh man, they got three or four at bats that are really just threats every game. But those other four guys in the lineup, I mean two hundred hitters, maybe ten home runs. I mean, okay, put him back on the Angels, is what I'm saying. Put them on any other team in the division. And we're not having this conversation. We're just not. But because the Dodgers are who the Dodgers are in twenty twenty six, and have the lineup that they have, have the bench that they have, and oh yeah, got guys like Mookie BET's not even in the lineup right now. He's heard Keiky Hernandez is hurt. I mean, it's embarrassing how good this team is. And because of that, huh, let's maximize our best player are our unicorn two way superstar once a week by alleviating those three or four bats. He's got to work, and you know, worry about I just think it makes sense. I just think it does and it's not taking anything away from the fans. Oh I came to see him hit, well, you know what, you get to see him pitch even better. Oscar and Baldwin Park, thanks for being patient. Welcome to Dodger Talk on this Thursday on Oscar. Are you doing.
Speaker 5: Homie Kate's was something? Man haven't talked to you since scam Man early in the morning.
Speaker 1: Hey Man, great, talk to that guy YouTube.
Speaker 8: Brother.
Speaker 5: Was that Ronnie who has the phone?
Speaker 4: It was?
Speaker 1: That was the chairmer of the ball Shay.
Speaker 5: Shout out to Ronnie Man haven talked to me for though that said the best of the bid as Harmon needs to say. Shout out to og Ronnie. But hey, real quick, real quick, man, you gotta brun up a hot take cakese my opinion, Well, first of all, I wish show hey be okay with that? Well is uh competitive? Juice is not want them to do that because that part of his contract is being that two way player, right, being a pitching in hitting right that I know that's in the contract right to be that guy.
Speaker 1: But he is five or six other days of the week. You know that. That's the thing Oscar's not like he's sitting the bench the rest of the week. You've literally got then the best hitter in the lineup the other five or six days that they're playing one day a week. Let's alleviate three at bats he's got to worry about.
Speaker 5: Okay, real quick, two kids. How's any different from the well back in the day and nationally when the pitcher is still hit no matter what.
Speaker 1: It's not any different. But the game is different. The way these guys are trained as different. And you're asking him to be the only one to do it. If everybody else was doing it, it wouldn't he be in a question, Oscar. But you're asking him or you're not asking him. He's so good he can do it. But because he's so good at doing it, you know, I'm looking at the variables here. He's getting older, he said his arm worked on twice. You want the legevity of the contract. If there's a way you can get him off his feet a little bit, because he's not gonna take a day off, Oscar. He's not gonna take a break. But when he's pitching, if you can say hey, show hey, uh, you're not gonna get three at bats but don't worry. The rest of the week. You're good to go. I think you can kind of pick and shoes here and this is the one area, the one area that he might be up for.
Speaker 5: Hey, real quick too, how many but how many starts is that? How many starts is that in the season we're gonna lose his bat? That may that many games in the season? Ball with twenty starts, right, twenty twenty five starts at least?
Speaker 1: Yeah, about twenty five to thirty stars? Yeah, you know, But are you worried because the rest of the lineup won't pick up the slack? I mean not the adult rush is gonna hit a Grand Slam every game. But I feel pretty confident that for three or four at bats once a week, you can get a guy in there who could, you know, get you some production. Albeit it's not gonna be show hey, but still, Oscar, I appreciate it, my man. Great to hear your voice as always, Rudy and North Hollywood. You're next up on Dodger Talk on this Thursday night. Rudy, how's it going doing great? Him doing Greek? Hey, man, you're right on point. I think uh Otani could definitely take a break from the bat. Not that he needs it, but I mean, why, why chance, you know, him getting hurt in a game that he's pitching, in which case you'll lose two players essentially. Yeah, that's just silly. And I also think that the Dodgers are playing so well they could do this until they all start break past All Star break. You know, you know he doesn't need to pitch every day. Yeah, no, I mean hit every day, right, he's thanks ready for the phone call. He's pitching once a week. He's you know, let's let's say they play six other games a week. I know there's off days. Well, it's just for the sake of argument, seven days a week. Six of those, he's your hitter. Here's your designated hitter. He's getting three, four or five at bats us your lead off guy. He's freaking show hey, Otani, But that one start that he gets, let him just pitch at least hear the first half of the season. I get it, Okay. I got a couple of tweets. I ain't got a text from somebody who said, October, are you still gonna do this? Question? Mark No, When it comes crunch time in October, he is a two way player again. But if we could, if we could get him off his feet and get him I don't even want to use the word load management. Gosh, it's just I hate that word. Yeah, it's gross. If we could just alleviate the stress of him having to do two things in a game and not be superhuman and not be a unicorn for just a one night, because we know we can. I think it's beneficial to everybody. It really is. You're not losing him, Your fans aren't being jypped.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I came to see, Oh Tony, why wasn't here in the line. Well, it's because he's on the mound dealing for six innings. Still get to see number seventeen up there doing his thing. James and Guardiana, Thanks, you're being patient? Ain't doing James?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Good tim Yeah. Well, the two points that came to mind for me was like, like, first, I remember John Smolts via the Fox tvanoist once said that if all show Hey did was pitch, he could be the best pitcher in baseball. And the other the other thing I remember was like when show Hayes last year with the Angels, towards the end of the year, he was in a doubleheader against Detroit, he pitched like the first game he pitched like a nine inning, one hit shutout. But then he came back and he hit like I forgot two home runs or something of the second game. But then like right after that, that's when he injured his elbows. So but yeah, you gotta you know, I think protect him from himself sometimes.
Speaker 9: By great way.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought that Angel game into try. I remember that explicitly, that game and what he did in those games against the Tigers on the mount and at the plate. I believe it was a double hitter. Yeah, there's no need to go out there and do that for one day or one start or one day a week in April, May or June. Save yourself for October. Kurt san Clementy, thanks Kirk for being patient. Welcome to Dodgers talk.
Speaker 9: Just like to say, as a baseball fan and having played both ways like Otani when I was playing baseball, this shouldn't even be a debate. Otani when he pitches, should not hit. And the reason is is because pitchers have to be like your best cardiovascular players on the team. Pitchers are always running, and that's because when you take the mound and you're pitching. You're gassed after you face three, four or five hitters, especially with the pitch clock now where they have to pitch in a certain amount of time. TONI coming up, so Otani coming off the mound and having to go right in the dugout, get ready to hit it? Just it's it doesn't it's not practical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, you brought the pitch again, another level of the conversation. Baseball's different now, even from a few years ago. You got a pitchclock where you got fifteen seconds to pitch. It's a fast paced game. Now you're asked to move at a quicker pace. You're throwing more pitches. Just another, just another, I think, example of why he should not hit on the nighty pitches. John and Rissina. Welcome to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: How you doing John, Hi, dam thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 7: Sure you may have answered this, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 6: Okay, say Otani is pitching, he's pitching right, and doult rushing as dhing or whoever, and they pull him from the game. Is he eligible to come back in.
Speaker 7: And pinch it for someone?
Speaker 1: No, No, he's not allowed to do that Yeah, he'd have to start the game as a designated.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I didn't know if it was another Otawi rule or something.
Speaker 6: All right, John, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: All I appreciate it. Is he oh is a bell and Anaheim? What do you think? Is he?
Speaker 6: I guess if they want to do it? So anyway, the only thing, like we say.
Speaker 7: Though, Tim, how about all these kids they want to see you Tony.
Speaker 1: You know they're still gonna see him, and he's gonna be on the mound. You have a chance to see him throwing no hitter?
Speaker 7: Kay, Yeah, I know, I know, but they want do you see him always?
Speaker 6: Just seeing him hit too? So I don't know.
Speaker 7: I guess if they want to do it.
Speaker 6: So I don't know.
Speaker 7: So I just I end up seeing Oh your point, but I just got mixed feeling about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it. Is he great to hear your voice and we'll talk to you. I don't know soon. Thanks for checking in. I think it's a valid question to ask, and maybe it's something that Dodgers won't even think about. I don't know, but I thought, man reading this column that came out talking to people today, he must hit what he pitches really he must, I don't know, kind of feels like it's a wear and tear on the third one, going on thirty two year old, already superstar. I want to preserve that. I want to bottle that up. I want as much O Tani as possible. And if it means he doesn't hit a couple of times on a Wednesday because he's pitching in Daling six innings, so be it. We'll come back. We'll try to get some more of your phone calls. He got a farm report coming up. Next. It's Dodger Talk, Tim Kates, Ronnie Fostio and you here on an FI seventy LA Sports Live, everyone on the iHeartRadio app. Off night, Dodger Talk continues here on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Tim Kate's with you here until the top of the hour. A lot of great phone calls tonight. Appreciate that show. Hey Ho Tani. He's got his mindsets. He wants to win his Cy Young Award, and maybe that entails him not serving as the Dodger's designated hitter on the nights that he pitches once a week. This season. We'll see if that trend continues after last night. Certainly different circumstances after getting hit by a pitch on Monday night last night did not serve as a designated hitter. But maybe that's something we start seeing moving forward. All Right, Dodgers back into action tomorrow night in Denver. It's gonna be snowing during the day. Cold come. First pitch was at five forty while I'm Rongo Casino Dodgers on deck getting our cover started at four thirty in the afternoon. All right, let's go down the farm. Give you an updown on the Dodgers' top minor league prospects from TRIPLEA, Oklahoma City all the way down to the Ontario Tower Buzzers host way to Paula, the dodgers number one top minor league prospect, number thirteen overall on MLB dot COM's list. He's in Double A Tulsa, the twenty year old outfielder nine games, already thirty eight at bats, hitting three forty two, four doubles, eight ribbies, and nine to fifty eight ops, including a home run.
Speaker 10: Runner takes off the pitch will be lifted out towards leftfield. Levinson is gonna watch it one hop off the wall. George has tons of speed. They'll get the wave around third. There will not be a play at the plate and host way to paula tyss ballgame for the ringing double the left.
Speaker 1: Tulsa Drillers Radio Network with the call host Swadea Paula. Starting to heat up here in mid April, Zayyear Hope, twenty one year old outfielder also in Tulsa and double A Major League Baseball's number twenty five overall prospect. Through nine games, zi year Hope to ninety seven batting average, two doubles, two home runs, eleven ribies and at eight fifty five ops. Zayre Hope, with the grand slam has.
Speaker 10: Lifted out to left field. That ball is trouble, Levinson's on the jug and Hope has just hit a grand slam. Here it happens field a no doubter off the bat one hundred and one miles an hour as its sales beyond left field, four on the board, all with two outs, and in the blink of an eye, the Drillers now hold a seven and nothing lead.
Speaker 1: Grand slams Zayre Hope, Tulsa Drillers Radio Network with the call and Wardo Quintero Baseball's twenty eighth overall top prospect for the Dodgers. They're third top prospect in the organization. He's a twenty year old erfielder out of Venezuela. He's in Great Lakes with the Loons in High A Ball.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: It's cold in the Midwest. Certainly we know that a slow start the first couple of games. But ed Wardo Quintaro starting to heat up. Three key tarot swings here Indian the left doesn't happen enough.
Speaker 10: You bet.
Speaker 1: There's that signature moment. There's that first long ball at down Diamon three ninety three, fred Wardo Keenzaro three run shot Lune's lead at six to three, A big three run home run for Quintaro. He goes two for four in the game yesterday, and maybe things starting to turn around as the weather starts to hopefully heat up in the Midwest. There in Michigan. Mike Sirota number four overall prospect for the Dodgers. He's in Great Lakes as well. The twenty two year old outfielder ten games so far, just seven for thirty two two nineteen average with nine walks, in Ontario with the Tower Buzzers. Get out there and see a Meal Morales.
Speaker 11: Bought him in the second score tied up three, Maybe not anymore, Emeil Morales, he's out of here. Gives the Buzzers back to the lead.
Speaker 1: He tops his first one of the year. Morales ranks one down the line. This second of the night is way gone. There's the big fella. Just like that, it's a tie ball game.
Speaker 11: He was crushing them in batting practice, and it's safe to say it's translated over.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers, number five overall top prospect, number eighty nine in Major League Baseball is a good one. Nineteen year old shortstop six three one ninety five nine games in. You heard him right there with the home runs last night. He hit two of them for the Ontario Tower Buzzers. He's now fourteen to forty one five doubles the two home runs he hit last night and ops over eleven hundred of Meal Morales playing right here in the ie with the Ontario Tower Buzzers. River Ryan in Oklahoma City with the Comets, twenty seven year old right Hendrick coming back from a Tommy John surgery. Two starts, four innings, three runs, five hits, six strikeouts the first time out, then three innings, two runs, four hits, four k's in his second start. Jackson Ferris heard his name a lot during spring training. Twenty two year old left hander. He's in TRIPAA, Oklahoma City. Two starts, three and two third innings, two runs, three hits, then three innings, four runs, four hits and four walks for the young left hander. Charles Dabbling in Great Lakes with the Loons, twenty two year old outfield. He's not a very big guy. Five to nine, one hundred and ninety five pounds, forty first overall pick last year out of Arkansas, and this dude can rake swung on and lift it in a shallow center. Dabbling and RBI, we're all tied up here. The fifth Great Lakes owns radio with the call. He had a basin with the RBI there ten games, a two ninety seven average, four doubles, two home runs, eight ribies, a nine to seventy seven ops for Charles davilin Christian Zazowetta. He's in Great Lakes as well. A twenty one year old right handed pitcher out of Mexico. Two starts so far, oh to one, four to seventy ERA fourteen strikeouts in seven and two third innings. James Tibbs, the third and TRIPLEA Oklahoma City, got off to a tour it starts, hitting eight home runs in the first two weeks. He cooled off, but last night's hello.
Speaker 2: Hit very high in the here to centerfield even has got a long way to go on the warning track at the wall. That one is gone just over the four to twenty eight sign. James Tibbs launches a home run, his ninth of the season.
Speaker 1: Comments Radio Network with the call. A four hundred and thirty nine foot blast last night for James Tibbs, the third in Okle home of City. The twenty two year old is on fire to start twenty twenty six, in eighteen games, hitting over three hundred. He's got the four doubles. He's got a triple now nine home runs, fifteen ribbies and an ops near twelve hundred. Kendall George fourteenth overall Dodger prospect going into the season, twenty one year old, former first round pick in twenty twenty three. He's in Double A Tulsa six tolen bases. He's a speedster, gets on base eight games, three seventy one average, thirteen for thirty five at to play, three doubles and seven ribbies. One guy not listed as the Dodgers' top twenty prospects, but starting to open some eyes here early on in the twenty twenty six minor league season, twenty one year old outfielder in Ontario with the Tower Buzzers, Jared Elkins, an eighth round pick in twenty twenty three nine games so far in Ontario and a ball a three twenty eight average, two doubles, a triple, four home runs and fourteen RBI. Already in nine games we got an OPS over twelve hundred. So there you go. You're caught up on the Dodgers' top minor league prospects, where they're at, how they're doing, and a couple of names also to keep an eye on as this season moves forward. All Right, that's gonna do it for off night Dodger Talk Mini. Thanks to all you Dodger fans for being a part of the show. Thanks to Ronnie Fossio for all his help tonight. We'll be back at it tomorrow with Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck, getting our cover started. At four thirty in the afternoon, at first pitch five point forty from Denver Dodgers in the Colorado Rockies. Tyler Glass now will be on the mound until then. Have a great safe rest of your Thursday night. So everybody