Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on a M five to seventy LA Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio while it's the longest running afternoon sports show in the city. No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed. This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papadacas, terrible person, He's the worst and Matt money Smith. The pipes, the pipes, the pipe. Don't miss an episode. We're with you. Yeah, follow the Petros in Money Show. Wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papadacus and Matt money Smith and easy me. You'll feel Mick is pe you asked for too much? What you what? What you want?
Speaker 2: Let's show some money in five seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app Before Hours show one more hour going until seven pm. David Vesse just joined us. In the last segment, he will have Dodger Talk coming up at seven o'clock. We'll climb World Series Hero, We'll join him. We are your home of the back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers. Remember to subscribe to our podcast if you haven't already in our twentieth year. Assume many of you already have, but PMS on demand is there for those of you that have not yet. You can get the podcast anywhere you prefer to procure, but we prefer the iHeartRadio app because you can not only get the podcast and petros some money on demand, the past shows, the interviews, all of it is free, but you can also stream the show live in the moment no matter where you are in the world. If you have a smart device, the iHeartRadio app and a signal, you can listen to p M.
Speaker 1: S David Vassa w Dodger Talk. We just talked to him, a big thank you to him and coming up at seven o'clock. Never should have started that fight on the Indiana Jones ride. And we are flexed tomorrow because there's a Clipper game at the Knicks, so expect tomorrow show to start at one day. We are live in Cerritos three to seven, coming out enjoy the new year in great sports talk. We got prizes, we have stuff from the closet. We got justin Herbert Chargers, Jersey. We got four hours in beautiful Serritos, so we're looking forward to that how there it is looking forward to seeing Frank Yoka Yama.
Speaker 2: You still put the line in the water for a Filipino DJ. No one has yet to take a bite.
Speaker 1: When you at Filipinos, no DJ stough they all have it in him. They may have it in him, but they have not expressed it, not openly to us yet. Maybe that's Thursday, like when you're in college and those sorority chase, you just know they're making out. They might not have shown you, but you know you're mister Brightside. You know what's going on deep down. We do have a bunch of stuff.
Speaker 2: In addition to the Chargers sweatshirt, Herbert Jersey, we got blinderd Black, Matt Lioner. We held out for our last show of twenty twenty five. But he's showing up. I want to show shit.
Speaker 1: I want to give away Joe Davis. He's sitting over there staring at me and that Joe Davis bottle head good. Kate's take it. Take it here, sleeping the fetal position with it. You act like it's untouchable. It is broken in one spot. Where is it broken hand to part where it has a soul that's right in his butthole. Yeah, in the Dodger studio, Victor Brick's down Boostick is in the corner over there. Now it's been good luck. In twenty twenty four and twenty twenty five during the World Series, Tim Conway used it in his hands to shake it and give a little Dodger mojo, going, I can't give away stand away.
Speaker 2: That is all right, the idea that you would even broach that subject.
Speaker 1: I like the thought though, I want perge. I was just looking around the studio. I want all day purge, all day perche. I like the thought. And you know what, hold it. Put a pennant, but do not put the pen in the in the baseball to have social Matt drive it down to h to Wittier. We'll bring those couple of petres and money, photoshop bandit files, tiles. Yeah, you can have those. We'll give those away. Gonna be great, all right, everybody. Brought to you by concord A University, Irvines Masters in Coaching podcast by Tim Kats and of course the school itself. It's the Final hourt fun Fact, It's fun effect, it's the Yeah, we're three six facts.
Speaker 2: Over five thousand coaches and administrators have graduated from their master's program. Find out more at CUI dot edu. Slash Coaching by law. Children born as Hungarian citizens are to be named by the parents from an official list of names, one list for each gender. If the intended name is not on the list, the parents have to apply for approved to the Research Institute for Linguistics of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences to ensure the name is not derogatory nor overly diminutive. It must be written and pronounced easily, and it must be recognized as either a male or female name. Once the name is approved, it is added to the official list. Oh wow, So once you approve one, then now you're Apple.
Speaker 1: Oh, I can do it. Apple's on the list now now anyone can name their kid Apple. It's a girl. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe they want Apple to be a boy. And hunger I don't know if it's registered as a girl. Now it's only for a girl, exactly right, that's right. And one other things for sure. Out there, most people are famished. Yes, they are hungering in their name. Now, God, they want to eat God, damn it.
Speaker 1: It's time for quick HITSMS, quick hits. Make it quick, y'all. John Harry Ball, whoa been the head coach Baltimore since two thousand and eight, we talked to Jim Harbaugh and the next day his brother gets fired. Coincidence. Oh yes, I don't know, kiss a death. I mean, guy misses a field goal. He'll become a hot coaching candidate. Now for a team that has an opening. Sometimes you just get tired of it.
Speaker 2: Mark Andrews drops a two point conversion. This guy misses a field goal.
Speaker 1: Tired of a guy's chin. You know that chin's been jutting out at them since O six eighteen years. Oh wait, excuse me. The Chargers are headed to New England to play the Pats on Sunday night. The Pats a slight three and a half point home favorite in Foxborough. We did have Jim Harbaugh on the show yesterday, not knowing that it would cause his brothers firing. Here is this week's Jim Harbaugh press conference, brought to you by Vabbeling Instant Oil Change. Hobout the fifteen minutes, Stay in your car oil change, no appointment needed. Find a Vabbeling Instant oil Change near you at so coloil change dot com. What do you guys see from dray in a pretty pot past this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, just really effective and in uh every part of the quarterback play. Throwing with accuracy, throwing to outside the numbers, deep in in in the middle, athleticism, uh, poise, uh, toughness, durability, everything has been Uh it's been been been a great year for for him by any quarterback standard.
Speaker 1: I'm seeing to a hallmark and think of a mireat team.
Speaker 3: I don't know that I had that uh that answer, uh you know for you, but uh, I mean the thing that sticks out. I mean it's like his team's played like he played. I mean I do notice that, you know, tough, gritty, you know, physical, uh, smart, uh fast, I mean they kind of like to hit like he liked to hit.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 3: Uh, I've noticed.
Speaker 1: What do you what do you think from the defense.
Speaker 3: In about I mean all the I mean the really you know, the most important categories. I mean their top five, top ten points per game, Uh you know run defense. Uh, it's all and they do that. I mean it's not not a lot of takeaways, you know, that's not in the top ten, but it's it's just really good sound. Uh, you know, able to play which which is really good at a three to four team that can also play as a four to three team, fourth three team that can go to go to a five down line. Hallmarks you know, uh in their coverages which they which they play really well, play the single high, the split safety, you know, all all all really good, really affected, very downhill, very physical, very good tacklers, you know, really really sound and player driven. I mean they put players in position to be successful. They do a great job of that. So long list of things that they do well. Just excited for the game, excited, uh, you know, for the opportunity alter competitive season. This is uh, this is this is that time, you know, and yeah kind of that put up a shut up time. You know, that's work no matter when the games played. So ready uh ready to have at it. That's the that's the kind of energy that's in the building.
Speaker 2: Good stuff there from coach, of course, a lot of the same stuff that he told us yesterday. If you did not hear that interview, be sure to visit the iHeartRadio app, download Petros and Money on demand and check out our five thirty PM Our three interview.
Speaker 1: I thought he was totally different, totally much more comfortable different guy. The Rams are hitting the road, David for a wild card matchup at the Carolina Panthers on Saturday. Rams are ten and a half point favorites, and Matt doesn't like the playoff structure at all. Sure, no, sir, I don't, and I'm not going to give up. I will. It's not gonna be quiet about No, I won't. The Lakers are twenty two and eleven. They're in New Orleans taking on Lakers. They're on the Smoothie King taking on the Hernits as we speak, the SKC the Smoothie King Center. I think the Lakers can win it if Lebron leaves freaking weirdo with all I think the Lakers cryptic talk, I think the Lakers can win it. Sure. The Clippers, though, oh they are hot, seven in the last eight hot damn. Now they hit the rude. They're in New York tomorrow to face the Knicks. Here's Tylo after the win over the Warriors last night on his teams turn around.
Speaker 4: A big part of it was just I thought the early injuries. I thought them Kawhi and Brad went down and missed those ten straight games. I thought it was really hard on us. You know, from a scoring aspect, and then defensively as well. And then Bogie went down and then DJ went down. So you know, it happens around the league as part of it. And we just wasn't able to finish games. You know, it got got down a stretch of games, close games, and we just couldn't finished the game and we had to as Zoo and Jane to do so much to even keep us in the game, you know, down the stretch, I thought they got tired a lot of times. You saw some turnovers or some some misshots, and it was hard on us. And then I think, you know, since we've been these last seven eight games, I think defensively, you know, jbg's done a great job of just you know, getting us back in the lab, simplifying, making sure that you know, we're playing to our personnel, not to what we did last year, which has been a lot better for the guys, you know, easier for those guys to to lock in defensively and not playing in thought. And so that's a huge reason why you know, we've been back to playing pretty this Our defense has been really good, and so I know Dante and you know JBG and Hole game those guys are getting players on the floor every single day, just working even after practice, after shoot around, just grabbing guys to make sure to comprehending what we're trying to do. And we've gotten a lot better than the defensive area.
Speaker 1: Man. That Tyler is the heck of a coach. I love how he sent Chris Paul home in the middle of the night. You know what, you got to make tough decisions, Yeah, you do. For a team that's struggling, some tough decisions have to be made, and tylu is the man to make them. Chris, I just called you an uber to the airport. It'll be outside in three minutes. Excuse me, you're a bad guy, Chris. Everybody knows it. Man, you're a bad guy. Cliff Paul is just a lie. We've got to We've got a Cliff Paul. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: It As a matter of fact, if you would like to add that big days to the connection, it's Cliff Paul.
Speaker 1: My god. Well, we're gonna add it to the collection semi finals of the playoffs or later this week, and Matt we're gonna be there. Oh, we're gonna be on a call. Well, we're not going to be at the Fiesta Bowl might as well be. But we're going to be in Siritos, which is Little Phoenix, Miami and Old Miss Fiesta Bowl Miami's at three point FA Friday, it's Indiana, Oregon and the peach in Atlanta, who's yours three and a half point favorite. I believe Ole Miss will keep Charlie Weise junior to he's gonna continue.
Speaker 2: They will keep their running backs coach, but they have lost their wide receivers and their tight ends coach.
Speaker 1: Those guys aren't gonna be able to play. They they are gonna make their way unless you to see the tide. Those guys won't know what's happening.
Speaker 2: And there there are claims and there are accusations of nefarious moves by the coaches who are departing Ole Miss for LSU and trying to continue to recruit players to follow them as well. I think in today's day and age, is really not much to that is how big your check and how BIG's their check?
Speaker 1: Wow, there's something to it, man, you know, I don't like what they're not. I don't like it. Mike. The transfer portals open and fully operational. U c LA has grabbed at least three sun Belt James Madison Tits. Oh, those guys were on high demand. Well, there's three of them work worked out for Indiana. Sure did Chesney? This guy Chesney might know what he's doing. He's put together a good staff. He's going around and daring himself to people. It seems like he might have sounds like Lincoln Riley Part two. Yeah, it seems like if it was some part two, it might be a signetic Part two. Could you imagine UCLA taking over college foot be pretty great swing on their boots.
Speaker 2: Yes, I could imagine that. If Indiana can take over college football, then I can imagine anybody taking over college football.
Speaker 1: Right when we got rid of Ucla, they take off. Kyle Whittingham is the new head coach at Michigan. Miss me yet. He was on five seventy earlier today he was with Dan Patrick. Yeah, talked about why he like Rogan and Rodden. I was like, really out of those guys. He his roommates with Rodney on his Mormon mission at Argentina. He wanted to talk about the job at Michigan and what a tough month it was, you know with the coach.
Speaker 5: Good run at Utah. It was a great experience thirty two years in all, twenty one years as the head coach. I figured I'd done pretty much all I could do there, and I'm still not that old, sixty six. I guess that's, you know, not that old. But I thought when I stepped down, first of all, I didn't want to be that guy that over state is welcome, you know, I don't. I don't, you know, I've seen that happen too many times, or guys stayed too long, get run out of town. So didn't want to be that guy. But just felt like, Okay, there's been a good run. Let's let's leave on a positive note. And when I did step down, I had an inclination in my mind that if there was about you know, he count on one hand the amount of schools that if they would have called, I would have been receptive. And just so happens. About two or three days later, some contact with Michigan and they were on that list, and one thing led to another about a weaker Ten days later, it was a done deal. The place doesn't need a rebuild, it needs a reboot of trust and get rid of the drama and just get back to playing Michigan football without all the distractions.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: The one thing is it didn't come from the players. You know, the players were not involved. It wasn't some player, you know, issue was it was, you know, just the peripheral. And so guys here have a great attitude. I met with every single one of them at the bull site last week. Just quality young men, care about academics, Excited to be at Michigan. But they've dealt with a lot over the last years, and so that's where they're at.
Speaker 1: Oh, we talked to Vassay about this, Matten, this cool.
Speaker 2: Clayton Kershaw is probably going to get right back into baseball. He retired following twenty twenty five season, but The Athletic is reporting that the three times Cy Young Award winner, MVP Award winner, World Series champion, and Dodger Great is a top candidate for becoming the baseball analyst for NBC Peacock next season. They will become the broadcasting destination for Sunday Night Baseball. They're taking that away from ESPN. They will also have the first round of the playoffs in twenty twenty six, and as David Vasse just told us, Kershaw routinely would play the role of Dick Deitsch and critique all of the sports media broadcasters and personalities to Dave and tell him what he thought, perhaps signaling that in fact, this was in his immediate future following his retirement. They say they don't know if it's booth or studio, but Vass seems to think it is not studio that he wants to be won the booth.
Speaker 1: A lot of people think that Clayton Kershaw most going to be like like his comp in broadcasts. Right, everybody's got a comp is vic Ro Big Fly? He's a real piece ass. Yeah he is. We'll be back with more great sports talks. Stay with us and I'm get sports too. Will Kline with David Mass for Dodger Talk at seven o'clock, your home of the Dodgers, AM seventy LA Sports. We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you. Make AM five to seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast a preset on the iHeartRadio app using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto Petro Say and Money.
Speaker 2: AM five seventy LA Sports live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. We are your home of the back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers and here on January sixth, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Pere we here but a month away? Oh yeah, one month away from talking about Glendale, Arizona. That's why we got Dodge talked to night. It's right David Vasse at seven o'clock. But that's not why we're bringing on great Greg am Singer. We love him. He's been on a few times MLB Network host. The reason we're bringing him on is he's the tallest host on television. He's he got Van Pelt. I think he does good for him. We'll find out he's better looking in his hair's way, Ben, no question. No, it's a TI day today. Who I mean tomorrow, It's a Tony day tomorrow on the tries one left center Field.
Speaker 3: Did you go.
Speaker 1: Show hey old Tony good stuff of legend. Hi, my name is Joe Hale Tounny to watch bring singer friend of the show. Tomorrow is January seventh, one seven. I get it. So MLB Network is calling tomorrow show hate Day. It's showtime whole day about TAWI themes. Programming will air at six Pacific with MLB Network hosts the great Greg Am Singer is a big part of the coverage, not just physically, but his aura as well. Oh yeah, his soul is basically he'll be the biggest as you pointed out. He's also got a new MLB Network show called pack in Time. But the next episode said for this Sunday at ten thirty, featuring an interview with Larry Boa. Pack in Time. It's a show about baseball. Came I wrote the thing. He thought it was about wolves, but it's not. Joining us in your southern California toyo to do this celebrity hotline. It is Greg am Singer part of show Hate Day tomorrow on one of our favorite network's, the MLB Network. What's crag and Greg? How are you?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 7: I'm just learning how to take a doctorate course on guest intros. It doesn't get better than the two of you. It really, honestly, you guys could literally make an entire show of just introducing the guests. They could say hello and goodbye and would kind of best segment ever.
Speaker 1: Now we're done, what's it? Thanks for doing that with the show, and way to go on the podcast. It's really more about playing the music of the sound Greg you know, whatever you say is just you know, but tell us about show hey day, because this does seem pretty fun. And I don't think there's any other baseball player that you could do this for, is there.
Speaker 7: No, He's the best player in the planet. He's the best player of all time. When people roll their eyes at me about that, they just have a serious bias over someone. I grew up in Saint Louis was a pan of the Cardinals. I couldn't stand the Dodgers and Tommy Lasorda will whyey hears Zog and Ozzie Smith would play against the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: I was so.
Speaker 7: Happy when tom needs fear gave it up in the middle. Yeah, I'm just being honest with you, But show Heytani. I'm letting you know my bias as a kid. But I can acknowledge that Shoe Otani is the greatest baseball player of all time. He just is. And this should be a national holiday. If you're a baseball fan. I don't think anybody should be working in Los Angeles. You will celebrate all day January seventh on the man that wears one seven on his back every single night, entertaining the millions of Dodger fans out there, show Heytani a day dedicated to him. I get the host the special, which I think is an honor, and within the day, I'm going to give you my Greg list of the nine greatest moments in show Hayes' career in my opinion, not Showy's opinion, in my opinion.
Speaker 1: So that is Also, you're the host of the show and it's your you know, your show, so do whatever you want.
Speaker 7: Let me just say though, you know, even though I named it Greg's list, so many people within the company will like argue with me. That can't be number one, Bro, that can't be number one. You know, why is that number five? I'm like, do I need to remind you it's Greg's Yeah, my list.
Speaker 1: It's not idiot graphics guy list exactly, truck monkey list. Go back in the truck. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm a Bashi baseball fan and this.
Speaker 6: Is my list.
Speaker 1: So are we.
Speaker 2: And that's why there's a chance that will bring you back on to argue with you about Greg's list, because that's the kind of guys we are not really now that you have, now that you have been removed for a couple months from it, as have we greg but your sense of baseball history is considerably better than ours. Not question was this was this the greatest World Series that you'd ever witnessed with your own two eyes? I am fifty two. I believe I'm the oldest of the bunch here. I believe it to be the greatest World Series I ever witnessed. Is that Does that still hold for you?
Speaker 7: Yes, it's the greatest World Series I've ever witnessed, and the closest to me would be twenty eleven. But that was the greatest game. It was the greatest comeback in Game six of that World Series of David Freeze at the ball the other way, Neilson Cruz didn't catch the ball, YadA, YadA, YadA, you walked it off. And remember there was a rainout, and then there was Game seven. Game seven was a blowout, so it wasn't very suspenseful Game seven. There have been other terrific Game sevens in World Series history, but there was nothing like this. There will be a movie made about this Game seven, seriously, and you could pick the movie up in the third inning or fourth inning of the game, like you don't even need to start the game, Like it's a movie.
Speaker 1: It is so good.
Speaker 7: One of the overlook heroes in the movie would be Dave Roberts, who decided to bring Potas in to play center field, and then minutes later he's diving over a sprawled out key k Hernandez, who thought the game was over to make a diving catch to extend a game. It was one of the most incredible things I've ever witnessed. I actually got to stand. We were waiting to do the postgame show right after that game, and I'm standing. If you're looking at the Fox cameras and if a right handed hitter they do a single shot, a close up shot of Laddie Guerrero Junior, you would be able to see me in a walkway probably five rows behind home plate. You got to see me. Al Lighter and Chris Young were standing there waiting to go on to the field. We're standing in that walkway and to watch every single heart raising moment. That's about the Latty Guerrero moment. I thought he walked it off three to zero count, pitch up in the zone. He's been up there to walk since at the center field. I thought the game, the series was over. There were so many moments like that it was an emotional rollercoaster. And I got to tell you, guys, I was there. I had never seen anything like it. A group of people celebrating on the mound, right, so happy, Clayton kershar running from the bullpen, teers, so happy. And yet you're hearing them. You can literally hear them word for word as they're talking and giving all the good graces to each other.
Speaker 6: Because it was silent. Fifty thousand people. You cause your children crying. They say, I had never seen anything like it. It was an awkward moment. The only thing I could think of. I love living my life through analogy, so forgive me on this. It's like playing in a state championship game, right, but like one team shows up with all their fans and they've got this all American, you know, first team All State quarterback, and they're down by four and he's running down the sideline and there's no time left.
Speaker 7: He's gonna score. Not only you stop him at the one yard line, but they're bringing out a stretcher because they think he broke his neck. So that you're celebrating a state title, you won the state championship, there's an ambulance on the field, and everyone's concerned about.
Speaker 1: The health of the quarterback. That's where it fell like.
Speaker 2: They're gonna get more analogies tomorrow. On Otani Day, it is show Hay Day because that rhymes Otani Day does not to celebrate his number seventeen. On one seven January seventh, you said you had Greg's list the top nine because there's nine innings in a game. Is when I'm assuming show Hay moments, if I may just kind of is it. Is it one moment the game pitched and the three home runs? Are those separate moments? And if, in fact that is one moment, ten strikeouts and in three home runs, I would assume nothing's ever gonna top that.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: That's interesting because that was kind of the argument that it made when people are like, wait a minute, if it's show Hay's greatest moments, what do you think show Hay would want to be number one? Which is an interesting conversation. If it was show Hay's list, what do you think would be number one on show Hay's lists? If you gave show a truth theorem, there's a reason he didn't sign with the Dodgers and the Yankees right out of Japan. And I think he had heard that Mike Strout's the greatest player in the world. He wanted to play on the same team as the greatest player in the world. Everyone he's actually the greatest player in the world. And I think show Hayes number one would be striking out Mike Trout to win the World Baseball Classic. That moment showed a different level of exuberance and national pride. That I another game we've ever seen since from Shoeo Tani. He's had great games, great games, but that may have been show hayes number one moment. It's not my number one moment on my Greg's list. It's on the list, it's not number one. Getting to what you said, and I'll just be brief on this, that game is the greatest baseball game that's ever been played. You go six scoreless, ten strikeouts, and you hit three home runs. That's the greatest singular baseball game of all time. We never have to ask that question ever again. Who played the greatest baseball game ever? I mean, what an obscure, generic question that you could go down eighteen different rabbit holes and come up with a game from nineteen twenty one, right, You can't do that anymore. That's the greatest baseball game that any humans ever played in a postseason game. Six scoreless, ten strikeouts, three homers. My goodness, show hand.
Speaker 1: On tell us about pack in time, because this seems like a really fun show to be able to work on.
Speaker 7: So here's the deal. I grew up in a huge family, six boys and a girl, one of you know, a bunch of boys, and we would play baseball card games, and I was I'm obviously a huge baseball card nerd, and I would want my brothers to know a lot about all these obscure players. So I would pull a card out and I would go, Okay, we're gonna play a game. And I knew everything about all the players, so I was like the judge. So I would go, Okay, here you go, Rantsmolinich, tell me everything you know about them, and they would get they have to study the baseball cards, and then they would have to read facts that were off the back of the baseball card to me, and that would go to the next card. Okay, Greg Jeffrey, tell me everything you know about him. And then I'd pull another one out and it would be Frank the Pino, not the third card. You have to interview, interview Frank Depino, the lusty reliever of the Chicago Cubs. Okay, this is the game I would play, and then I would act like I'm Frank the Pino. So you gotta you gotta ask some pretty good questions. So this is a This is a show that's based on that freise. I randomly pull out baseball cards. I spend three minutes telling you everything I know about each baseball card each guy. So it's like a history lesson of baseball cards. And then the third whoever I pull is the third card. It's only thirty minute show. That player will join me for an interview, and that entire interview is about that about their career. I'm not asking about current events. It's it's and by the way, stipulations, I do not include any current players or Hall of famers. They get tons of love on MLB Network. So this is a chance to talk to Sean Dunson, a chance to talk to Eric Davis, chance to talk to Will Clark, a chance to talk to Larry Boa, Mel Hall. It's so much more fun. I think it's awesome, and I've so far have done a few episodes and I absolutely love it.
Speaker 1: Take me pack all the time Sunday ten thirty Pacific, and that's the one with Larry Boa. Greg does great work. Is Oscar Dambile still alive? I don't know, Matt, good question.
Speaker 2: Because that's you know, that's like a that's a that's a holy trinity of baseball cards, the Afro trifecta with Gamble and Gary Templeton. You know that could be a fun one.
Speaker 1: Well maybe that. I know what Greg's doing when he gets off the phone no longer. Sorry, I've blown the interview. It's my fault again. I've ruined everything again. Tomorrow is show hay Dan. You won't possibly be able to ruin Show hay Dan. Uh. They are going to blow it out for the greatest baseball player ever. Thank you, Greg, and thank you for doing it to promote your stuff. We really appreciate all the exuberance and great enthusiasm and insight. Just a great interview. Thank you.
Speaker 7: Oh you guys are awesome. I appreciate your energy and your love for the game.
Speaker 1: We'll do it again soon, Okay, for sure, nobody's more seemed out than Matt and I come. We sure know the game got dust in our teeth. Well stuff fu legend. That's right, man show, Hey day, you gonna have a lot of Steve Nelson on that. All right, all right, we'll be back with more great sports talk, Great sports Talk. Hello, PMS listener. Did you know AM five seventy LA Sports has a wide range of LA Sports podcasts. There's Rogan and Rodney, that one is my favorite, Dodger Talk with David Vasse, the Dodger Podcast of record, Clipper Talk without a Musk, follow us all and many more. Just go to AM five to seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio app M five seventy LA Sports Live Everywhere Great Sports Talk Heart Radio app. We are your home a back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers' Action Handed Private. We will have Dodger Talk in the very next segment, The time with the Dead Guy. Birthday of the Day.
Speaker 2: Our Dead Guy Today was one of, if not the driving force behind it. Often cited as the greatest senatorial orator, his speeches the stuff of legend from our legislative branch. Charles Sumner would have been two hundred and fifteen today, Born in Boston. His father's Charles Pinkney Sumner, a lawyer an opponent of slavery, exposed Sumner early to arguments about justice equality, radical abolitionists. Indeed a big brain on. Chuck went to Harvard and later Harvard Law School. He was the star pupil of prominent legal scholar Joseph's story, top of his class, excelled he throt and constitutional law, classical learning, European intellectual traditions. After graduating, he took off for Europe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not really a Southern accent guy. I' you switched it out.
Speaker 2: Yes, you hear the music, Yeah, and you just can't help but fall into that. While he was in Europe, he was surrounded by political ideas that would influence his reformist outlook. Became one of the most influential and controversial American states of the nineteenth century. A leading abolitionist US senator from Massachusetts, played a central role in the political battles over slavery civil rights. What was the meaning of the Constitution? Before, during, and after the Civil War? Were the questions he asked and tried to answer. Collected to the Senate in eighteen fifty one, member of the Free Soil Party opposed the expansion of slavery into Western territories.
Speaker 1: Fast P and fast P.
Speaker 2: That's what they used to say. FSP is for me. He argued that slavery obviously a moral tragedy, but legally incompatible with the principles of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. His speeches were lengthy, They were highly intellectual. They drew on history, law, moral philosophy.
Speaker 1: Back then, you know, people didn't have much to do. No, don't go with a long ass speech.
Speaker 2: That, of course made of many enemies, particularly among the Southern Senatus. There was a famous moment in eighteen fifty six some that delivered a speech titled the Crime against Kansas.
Speaker 1: Oh, bleeding Kansas Man, What a terrible time.
Speaker 2: He denounced the violence surrounding slavery in the Kansas territory, harshly criticized pro slavery politicians, and Representative Preston Brooks of South Carolina took issue with that and beat him mercilessly, so badly.
Speaker 1: This is really, you know, one of the uh, one of the things that really got it started. Yeah, this was it. When he was bludget seriously injured, unable to return to the Senate for years. Yeah, he really got his ass kicks. It was the foreshadowing incident that shocked the nation. Thatn't just happened in Korea. You know, when you see all the guys in the House of Representatives or whatever, no, you know, beating all each other up, or the one guy's started to sign and everybody's grabbing his hand. Happened right here.
Speaker 2: Then it illustrated the deep sectional divide that would likely not be resolved on the Senate floor and of course, would soon lead to Civil war. When he did return to the Senate, he became the leading figure among the radical Blicans during the Civil War and Reconstruction.
Speaker 1: He supported the.
Speaker 2: Union war effort. Obviously they had crazy ideas. He did have some crazy idea, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean crazy radical ideas, like, hey, that slavery that they ended in Europe, you know, decades ago, we should do that too here here in the United States. That's crazy talk now, and I'm gonna beat you. Since I don't want that Nevada there and to have slaves.
Speaker 2: He called for the immediate abolition of slavery, and that was achieved with the Thirteenth Amendment. He led the charge on passing during Reconstruction he advocated strongly for equal civil and political rights for formerly enslaved people.
Speaker 1: Dropped the ball there, Well, he tried. Unfortunately, I'm not blaming, so yeah, I mean he was freaking fsp I mean was he was not silly before the war started, he would not see that.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, the federal government and their moral responsibility to enforce the quality under the way, he would not see that come to fermition.
Speaker 1: However, South Carolina guy took a freaking bat to his head like Otami was.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, he died in eighteen seventy four. His legacy, though, is the Civil Rights Act of nineteen sixty four, of which his Civil Rights Bill was the framework. Sumner helped shape the nation's commitment to civil rights and constitutional equality, and he bore the scars his door to prove it.
Speaker 1: I don't like what you say. I wanna bop you. Was he married, yes?
Speaker 2: Was it an awkward marriage because many believed he was a homosexual that was in love with his best friend who married a woman, and it broke his heart. So he took the wife, who then accused her husband publicly of not living up to his manly duties to consummate a marriage Chuck Sumner, Charles Sumner our dead guy birthday of today.
Speaker 1: All right, man, tomorrow's show Haltani day. But we'll celebrate Japan for Otani and secondarily Yamamoto and Sasaki. We love to sept to celebrate the stuff of legend, Old Tawny, thank you, who's stud legend. We all celebrate the Japanese as Guy jeans non Japanese people, but on the Otani station. And we have Tim Kaits who's like Douglas MacArthur in Japan. They love him. We can celebrate here and listen on a seventy so today's birthday. A very popular actress in Japan and beyond, Rinko Kikuchi, great Japanese actress forty five today from Kanagawa. Discovered by a talent agent at fifteen, first movie nineteen ninety nine. She's in many artsy well received Japanese movies. By the two thousands, she liked the Parker Posey of japan Gas. Maybe she doesn't have the same comic chops. Okay. By the twenty two thousands she was doing incredible to shut up. She was doing crossover movies like forty seven Ronan with Keanu who She was nominated.
Speaker 2: Is she in the Last Samurai the finest Japanese film of all time?
Speaker 1: Sexy? He was sexy? Sexy seeing y'all when she's dressing him grebs his crotch. That's patted, y'all. No. She was nominated for an Academy Award for a performance in Babble of a Confused Deaf Girl. Fourth person in Academy Award history to be nominated for a non speaking role. If this was Don McClaine here today, he would ask who were the other three? I do not know. It's what I ran. Didn't care. Her first full English movie as the main character as the Brothers Bloom. By then, she had learned English from watching The Voice on NBC. In twenty fourteen Kumiko the Treasure Hunter. It was a pretty big movie and she was in Tokyo. Wece oh Tokyo Vice. She dated Spike Jones for a couple of years. That's pretty cool. Left Japan that lived in New York, married a Japanese actor, now has two kids. A couple of titles for you to take in, Matt, cause I like to be interactive. Okay, ready to go? Mike Yokayama a forest with no name.
Speaker 2: Soon there's a relation to Frank on Thursday, so of course that gets.
Speaker 1: Multiple funky forest the first contact not right, quite sure what would constitute a funky forest. Bunch a weed getting grown, dog be funky love strikes that's it. With an exclamation, we are little zombies.
Speaker 2: I'd like to think it's little people in there, you know, like a willow. You are right, zombies zombies high heels. Don't think you can say that, Oh what happened? High Heels? A fairy tale born of obsession.
Speaker 1: For the foot fetish folk out there. This one also has an exclamation point at the end. Ah Chan, shake your booty. No, really, don't see that in a title. No Rinko Kikuchi everybody. David Vasse coming up next. Beloved by the Japanese as well, like shoe a O Tani, Roki Sasaki Yoshi. I'm a motive, but not as much as Kate's. He's got Will Klein on the show. He's not Japanese his hero game for the World series. He's got a fu Manchulo. We talked to Will Klein. That's right about we did? Oh I got on that, well, said Matt. We'll be back on tomorrow. It's a flexiler, so we'll start at one o'clock. Yeah, so one to three thirty, that's that's the ticket, Matt, all right, climpers one to three thirty climbers are hot checked out. Damn