Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking. It was a great birthday for Will Smith. Last time we saw him on Sunday, the Babblehead Night the go. I had to run a home run and of course the family out here to witness dad do his thing. Three time World Series champion Will Smith joins us. Thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it, of course, Dave, thanks for having me on. So, I guess days off are not really days off for you. You had to kind of walk Dalton Rushing through some some things for tonight's game.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, what what do you mean what I had to walk him through?
Speaker 1: Well, don't you help him with the game planning first start of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, we already talked. We talked through some stuff, tragging the same page, talk to, you know, talk about these guys and hopefully get Rookie up to a good start tonight.
Speaker 1: After another clutch home run the other day, I started to look back at some of the moments you had in your career. Is it hard to believe now you've been in the league since twenty nineteen, was like yesterday you were here following the team around in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's it's yeah, it's been it's felt like a long you know, seven years now, I guess. But also it's kind of flies by to Yeah, just just grateful to be with the Dodgers. You know, we've been competitive every year, making the postseason every year, won a few World Series. Yeah, it's gone, it's gone really well, and you know, just couldn't be We're happy and you know, grateful to be here.
Speaker 1: Was that thirty first birthday maybe the most memorable birthday you've ever had?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, probably it's most recent, so it's definitely my most memorial at this point. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't think of another birthday where you had your bobblehead night and you're able to do what you've done so many times and help the Dodgers win a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, usually, you know, sometimes the season hasn't even started yet. So yeah, that was that was a fun one.
Speaker 1: The other day, What was this story that Dave Roberts was talking about how he wanted to give you Sunday off, but you convinced him to play you. Is that accurate assessment of the way it went down? Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think you know, it's still early the year. I feel feel good. You know. I think you know, his mindset, a front office mindset or whatever is always kind of like just slow play it, you know, build back up. But uh yeah, I felt good. Just felt like I needed to let me know that. You know, I was kind of just joking around. I wasn't really like totally like fighting, like I need to be in there, but I kind of like, you know, I want to be in there every game. Uh. And I remember last year I didn't play my bibblehead, and I remember giving him some grief about that and stuff. But uh yeah, I pulled that card. He let me in there, and uh turned out all right.
Speaker 1: I guess when his starting catcher is invited to go to Augusta with him, you got some pool with the manager.
Speaker 2: Right, yep, that'll help for sure.
Speaker 1: So your golf game is almost as legendary as uh, your dramatic home runs lad in games. What what was that like going to Augusta with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 2: It was that was an amazing in three days. You know, Mookie came with us, you know, Uh, our host was incredible. It was it was awesome. You know, the courses in such good shape. It was so much fun to you know, play it. You know, I've seen the tournament so many times and different holes and different shots, and like, oh, that's where that was, that's where that was. You know, we looked out with the weather, got to see kind of the whole every facility in the grounds and all that and kind of everything that goes on there. It was you know, it's just a special place and uh, you know, just just Cloud was able to go at least once and hopefully, you know, at some point in the future get to go again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that place is tough to even cover as a media member. There's a lottery to be drawn. Could you ever imagine that you'd be playing golf where Tiger Woods.
Speaker 2: Is one of the Masters? Yeah, that's you know, that's one of those dream courses, you know, the bucket list course you want to play, You want to you want to see what it's all about. You want to you know, at least just go to the Masters and watch the tournament even and I know I'll do that at some point, you know, after baseball, because that's in April. But uh, yeah, it was. It was just really cool. It's kind of so you know, it's incredible. You know, the level of like, you know, care they put into every single thing, every single little detail is the best of the best, you know, from from their bushes and stuff to their landscaping, to the buildings to just the service. The people are so nice there and so like just welcoming and everything. It was. It was really cool.
Speaker 1: So can you share with all the golfers out there? How Will Smith shot at Augusta.
Speaker 2: The first day was bad. I don't know what I was doing. The second day was better. But MOOKI and I beat up on docs, so that's all that mattered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not surprising. Will Smith is our guest three time World Series champion.
Speaker 2: There's been a lot of talk.
Speaker 1: Now after the first week of the season about the ABS and how it's gone so far, and now we're seeing percentages from your standpoint, both as a hitter and a catcher, how has it gone in for the first time experiencing it in games that matter, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's gone. Well, you know, I don't I don't know. I think it's good for the game, you know. I think honestly the best part about it is I think the umpires are more locked in just from the get go. You know, just to spring training, I think you know, there were a lot less overturned calls because they were they were locked in. That's that's the most important thing, is you know, just getting the call right and you know they're they're trying to do their best too. They get that instant feedback, which is great, you know for the rest of the game. So I think it's I think it's a good thing. I think we've handled it pretty well. You got a couple of calls go our way using the right situations, so it's just been good. It's still kind of learning process and learning different situations and all that stuff, but overall we've been pretty good at so far.
Speaker 1: Hey, I know you're always in the moment. You got the Guardians starting tonight, But ever since the schedule came out, it's hard to ignore that your first road trip is taking you to Toronto, the scene of where you guys dramatically came back to win the World Series. Any concern over customs the Mounties when you go back across the border, No.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not concern. I was asked the other day if I was actually banned. That was that one kind of threw me for a loop thinking it was real.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I did a whole commercial promoting your bubblehead going through the security line.
Speaker 2: I know that was that was that turned out better than I thought. That was pretty good. That was a good a good script. I didn't I didn't have any part of that other than just kind of reading the lines. But that was good. But no, it'd be fun. I know they're gonna want a little payback on us, so it should be should be a good series. You know they're they're a really good team again this year, so it should be you know, fun, fun over there.
Speaker 1: All right, So no concerns over Canadian TSA stopping you a little longer. You and ROAs you guys have some targets on your back when you go through TSA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we'll see. Maybe it'll be longer, but no, it should be fine.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for the time, Congratulations on a great birthday. Congratulations on helping the Dodgers win the World Series ease and keep it going.
Speaker 2: Yep, thank you,