Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: A Spring training Dodger Talk, here we go again.
Speaker 2: We're got to running.
Speaker 3: Back hosted by Dodgers in Cider David base three Peat in the Mexican in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven, And be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Basset.
Speaker 2: We are live at camel Back Ranch in Glendale, Arizona. David Basse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. And this is a very unique Dodger Talk because the Dodgers are playing right now, right in front of us. It's a sellout crowd here at Camelback Ranch. The Dodgers are leading the Reds four to three. In the bottom of the third inning, Taoscar Hernandez is at the plate. He already had an RBI double in the first inning, part of a four run first inning for the Dodgers, and coming to the plate right now is Freddy Freeman. I'm going to prove to you that the Dodgers are playing right now. We're gonna pod up Rick Monday and Tim Neverett on Sports and at LA just to hear this at bat of the great Freddy Freeman, who already drove in a run during that four run first inning.
Speaker 4: On the run, makes the throw to get to Oscar one man out.
Speaker 5: Freddy Freeman will come up fready with an RBI base hitting a run score in the first.
Speaker 6: So I mentioned Oscar in a fastball slugging percentage, I'm a Freddy Freeman on non fast balls last year eighth best slugging percentage almost five hundred.
Speaker 4: That's a sinker there and files it.
Speaker 6: Back when you've seen pitchers also tend to figure out okay, Freeman's has stated over and over he likes to hit the ball to left center field. That's kind of his his thought process. They go, oh, sneak one, buying inside that Freddy is fast enough and quick enough, strong.
Speaker 4: Enough to handle that one Kerr ball is swinging a miss. They're talking really about one of the elite players.
Speaker 6: Mentioned numbers a little bit earlier on Freeman.
Speaker 5: How the breaking ball this dat Freddy takes it for ball one one and two to Freeman. There's a one two from Nicklodolo. That's two and two.
Speaker 2: The catcher is.
Speaker 4: Challenging the call of ball. Tyler Stevenson didn't like that one. We might have a point here. I was well on the strike zone. Cincinnati has one challenge remaining. Freddy is out. It was a fast all right.
Speaker 2: That was anti climactic right there, Freddie Freeman striking out. He did challenge it. The ABS is in play, so you got a taste of how quickly that will happen, even in a major league game. And just in case you're not aware of the rules that are in play, Yes, there is an automated strike zone. Yes, each team can challenge twice. They have two challenges. If they're correct, they keep it. If they're wrong, they lose one. And if it goes extra innings, you do get an extra challenge in case you've lost both of them during the course of the game. And as Matt money Smith pointed out the other day, the Dodgers are near the bottom as far as percentage of getting it correct as hitters and as the pitcher catcher combination. So Freddie Freeman strikes out looking thanks to the automated strike zone. But right now the Dodgers are leading the Reds four to three. This really isn't any headline or news making type of game, outside of the fact the Dodgers do have a lot of the regulars in the lineup tonight, but they started Cole Irvin, who may he's on the bubble for making the team because he can give the Dodgers some innings. So he's on the bubble for making the team because of the injuries to Gavin Stone and Blake Snell. Gavin Stone actually told me earlier today he's gonna be throwing this weekend at some point, so that's good news for him as well as shoulder is starting to feel better. This is Dodger Talk. We're with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports Phone lines are open at eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. In case you missed our show, our only other show this week this past Tuesday, you can find it on the Heart radio app. Rick Monday and former Raiders quarterback Derek Carr joined us and we'll share with you the story that Derek Carr shared with us. Oh, Max Mounsey, Yes, you did two run home run for Max Munsey to right field. He is having a great spring A two run home run by Max Munsey, that funky Monsey. I'm not gonna give you a home run call. That's all I got for you, Max Munsey. A two run home run in spring training is not gonna get me out of my seats, but certainly great to see him having a really good spring training. The work he put in during the offseason has certainly translated early on in camp. So the Dodgers, and it's against a real pitcher. The Dodgers have scored six runs off of Nick Lodolo out of I guess Laverne, California, Damien. I believe he went to high school out there. But like I said, in case you missed the story that Derek Carr shared with us on how he got the second base bag of Game six of the World Series in Toronto in his home office, we'll share that with you a little bit later. Also, keyk Hernandez is back at Dodger camp after cheering on Team Puerto Rico. He'll be headed back out in the next couple of days to cheer them on in the quarterfinals. So you'll hear from Key Hernandez and his thoughts about the Dodgers and the three peat that is in front of them. And we're taking your phone calls at eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. I do have an update on Blake Snell. There's a lot of updates on some pitchers today. It was pretty active on the backfields. Blake Snell through his second bullpen session this week. The reason why that significant is the shoulder is not giving him any more problems. It's just a matter now of him continuing to build up. And he felt good about where he's at right now. He's obviously happy he's pain free, and he said he started to feel pain free in that shoulder a couple of weeks before camp. But the reality is, and Dave Roberts said as much, Blake Snell is doing something like he did today that a pitcher does a week or two before pitchers and catchers report to spring training. So he's at least seven weeks away from pitching in a major league game. And he was asked when he hopes to pitch in a major league game, and he said by the end of April. That seems a little aggressive. The Dodgers are not going to rush him and allow him to skip steps just to come back sooner rather than later. There's no difference for the Dodgers for Blake Snell to come back the last week of April or the last week of May. That's the reality of how deep this pitching staff is and how they can absorb the first month and a half without Blake Snell. I got news for you. I went to Rangers camp earlier today because of this night game. I had nothing to do, so I wanted to go to another camp, and I thought, why not go to a camp where a former Dodgers the manager. And there's two former Dodgers that are in the starting lineup in Corey Seeger and Jock Peterson. And I got news for you. You know, the Dodgers can do things that the Rangers can't, then virtually every other team in baseball can't do. And that's not rush a two time Cy Young Award winner in Blake Snell. If the Rangers did not have Jacob de Grom again to start the year or Jack Lyder to start the year, they'd be in a heap of trouble. The Padres, they resigned Michael King, they brought in Walker Buehler. There's a lot of teams out there that on the surface, you may say, yeah, that's a pretty good starting five, but do they have what it takes to withstand the Riggers of covering close to two one thousand innings in one hundred and sixty two games. That's what the Dodgers have, And I guess that's I'm not gonna say the Dodgers don't need Blakesnell, because they do need Blakesnell to be back in May sometimes considering you know, where their rotation is and how they're trying to manage innings for not only Snell but everybody else in this rotation. But even with Gavin Stone having a setback with his shoulder, the Dodgers still have Emmit Sheian. They still have Otani Yamamoto, Tyler Glass now and a valuable pitcher and Justin Robleski. You know, I plan to ask Justin tomorrow about just where he's at this spring and whether or not he's still, you know, going to be the swingman for this team or is he going to be in the starting rotation. He's a very valuable piece to the Dodgers. Now, everybody wants to know where is the Dodgers' vulnerability this team, And we'll get in to this coming up at the bottom of the hour. I got news for you. This team is better than it was a year ago. But if you had to ask me if there is a vulnerability, I would say it would be a right handed high leverage reliever in the sixth or seventh inning, because right now there's a lot of questions surrounding thirty seven year old Blake trining They were counting on Bruce dark Grederol after missing basically the last two years, to be part of the right handed high leverage relief spot. And I know that Dodgers have Edwin Diaz, but he's the closer who's gonna get many Machado out and Fernando Tatiss out in the sixth or seventh inning. It's not gonna be Edwin Diaz. They need him to close out the game. And they have really good left handed relievers with Vesia Dreyer and Tanner Scott, But where are the right handed high leverage relievers? Who is that Without Bruce star Graderol and Blake Trinan. I would say it's been mixed results this spring. He's thirty seven years old. Let's not forget that Kyle Hurt. He could be part of the equation. Brock Stewart is part of the equation, but he's not gonna be ready for the first probably three weeks of the season. The Dodgers will hopefully get Evan Phillips back the second half of the season, but I'm talking about the first half of the season at Gardo Enriquez. Is he really ready for that? I'm not sure he is. I guess we're gonna find out together. But if you had to ask what is the one vulnerability, it would be that who is the other right handed high leverage reliever the Dodgers are going to be counting on. I I'm pulling for Blake Trinan. I would love to see him have a bounce back year from last year after or just how much he meant to the twenty four Dodgers and winning that championship. I would love to see him bounce back and have a great twenty six. And I don't know if he wants to keep pitching or not, but sometimes the game and your arm decides that He's thirty seven years old with a lot of miles on it. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number when we continue live from camel Back Ranching, Glendale, Arizona. We are going to get into the Dodgers involved in the World Baseball Classic, and I really haven't talked about, you know, the the stuff going on, I guess with Team USA and not knowing that they are or not advancing. They are now thanks to net Coletti's Team Italy. But we'll get into the World Baseball Classic and we'll get into the sobering reality for the rest of Major League Baseball that the Dodgers are better than they were a year ago. Hard to believe. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number David Vassay live at camel Back Ranch where the Dodgers are leading the Reds six to three in the fourth inning. Don't go anywhere. We might tap in to Rick Monday and Tim Nevertt again right here on AM five seventy LA Sports. We are with you until eight o'clock tonight, right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports as Dodger Talk rolls on under the lights at camel Back Branch in Glendale, Arizona, where the Dodgers are leading the Reds six to three with two outs in the bottom of the fourth inning. I was talking about who's going to be the Dodgers high leverage right handed reliever before they give the ball to Edwin dis I mentioned Kyle Hurt. Kyle Hurt just pitched a scoreless fourth inning, striking out Spencer Steer and Ellie d la Cruz to end the top of the fourth on a ninety eight fastball out of USC. He's a local SoCal kid. I'm pulling for him. He had shoulder surgery a couple of years ago. He's back and he certainly is going to be pitching innings for the Dodgers out of the bullpen at some point in time. It could be to start the season while Brock Stewart is on the il to start the year. You know, I forgot about Game three World Series hero Will Kline. Let's see if Will Klein can find the magic too. So he's in the mix. But Kyle Hurt making me look good right on cue pitching a scoreless top of the fourth inning here at Camelback Ranch and striking out the great Ellie de La Cruz on a ninety eight fastball. Hey, Tuesday night, we didn't have time for phone calls. Tonight we have time for phone calls. So we're only two weeks away from opening day. That's right, We're only two weeks away from opening day and the Dodgers are only going to be here in Arizona for another week before the Freeway Series starts a week from Saturday. So, uh, now's the time. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, And now's to time to go see my guy Sam at Downy Hunday. That's right, my guy Sam is waiting for you. It's a party there. It's not like a boring car dealership where you go in it's so sterile. No, this guy's got Strobe lights on. He's got flat screen TVs in the back of the showroom cars. That's the reason why Hyundai Downey or Downy Hunday was voted number one dealer of the Year for North America by the Hyundai Motor Company. Sam doesn't mess around. He's a great guy. Awarded twenty twenty five Board of Excellence by Hyundai Motor Company. I mean, this guy is as decorated as the Dodgers. They're going for the repeat, the three peat like the Dodgers are. And with Downy Hunday, it all about the experience. I got to experience it firsthand. I'm all in with Downy Hunday. You should be too, So go see my guy Sam. Tell him David Vasse sent you, okay, and while you're waiting for him, enjoy the scenes. There's a lot of scenes there at Downy Hunday. Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. All right, my guy, not only Sam at Hyundai Downy, but Yoshinobo Yamamoto. He is going to pitch against Venezuela for Team Japan this Saturday. He's going to be stretched out as he usually is during this time period. If he was here pitching in the Cactus League, he would be getting stretched out to the fourth fifth inning of games like Tyler Glass now was in his last start. So that's what's going to happen on Saturday against Team Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic. I got good news for you if you're a Dodger fan. It's gonna be the last time that Yamamoto pitches for Team Japan in this World Baseball Classic. He's not going to pitch again for Team Japan, win or lose after this Venezuela start. But don't expect to see him back at Camelback Ranch on Sunday. Because of his dedication and how much the World Baseball Classic means to him and Japan, He's gonna stay there. He's gonna stay with the team through Miami until they're eliminated. If they're eliminated or they get to the championship game, he's gonna be there until the end whenever that is for Team Japan. But he's not going to pitch after Saturday. That was made clear to me. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: I feel like in the last twenty four to forty eight hours, my guy, Mark de Rosa has been you know, bloodied by every sports talk talking head out there. I'm not gonna pile on and kick him while he's down. The reason why I say is my guy is because he has treated me really well when I've been a guest on MLB Central. I mean, he and Lauren Shahadi and Roflow allowed me to stay on the set before Game seven of the World Series as the Blue Jays manager John Schneider came over on the set. So I'm not gonna completely bury Mark de Rosa. But part of the reason I can't buy all the way into the World Baseball Classic. And look, I've been labeled as a hater anti World Baseball Classic. I'm really not. I can appreciate the games. I can appreciate certain fan bases loving it. I can appreciate a guy like kek Hernandez who has so much pride for Puerto Rico and wants to perform for them, wants them to do well. Obviously he's hurt he can't play, but certainly has a lot of pride for his island. I can appreciate all of that. But if you're trying to tell me this is a true competitive tournament, that's why I can't buy all the way in. And you're telling me that they have the best of the best for Team USA. But they have an inexperienced manager managing this collection of stars, and DeRosa is a great guy. He's a very likable guy that can bring twenty six guys together quickly. But you're telling me Bruce Bouchie or Dusty Baker who's managing for Nicaragua somehow. I mean, I know he has that background in his family, but Dusty's a proud American as well. You're telling me Mike Zoshia, I mean, that's my biggest gripe. USA Baseball has Mike Sosia manage virtually every other tournament for them, but not this one. And the reason is it's cross promotion. Mark DeRosa is on the best morning show baseball half MLB Central, hands down, probably the best morning show on television during the baseball season, So it's cross promotion. It's put on by Major League Baseball. Another reason why I can't buy all the way into the World Baseball Classic is Trek Schouoble makes one start and leaves, and look, I understand it. I agree with that decision, but it's not the best of the best pitching wise. And here's another thing that stood out to me. USA and Japan because of the way USA played and pool play was on collision for a Japan USA semi finals. But oh wait a minute, you got to read the fine print, right Check it out. Check out the fine print at the bottom from the very beginning Major League Baseball has wanted the USA and Japan to be in the finals against each other. But lo and behold if you check out the bracket. If the US advances to the quarterfinals in Houston, their match not a game. I thought baseball was a game, not a match. That's tennis. Their match will be played on Friday, March thirteenth, regardless of where they finish first or second in Pool B. That's fine. If Japan advances to the quarterfinals in Miami, their match will be played on Saturday, March fourteenth. The reason why is because they don't want these two teams playing each other in the semi finals. They want it lined up for them to play in the finals. So I'm sure you believe that wrestling is real too. If you believed that the World Baseball Classic was a true competition, it is. Nothing is you know, pre determined before those two games. But when you do, you see that fine print that is trying to bring together US and Japan for the biggest ratings, the biggest tickets in Miami. Come on, That's the reason why I can't buy all the way in like some other people. I just can't. And I feel like the more it goes on, it gets more exposed for that. It's a made for TV event, somewhat gimmicky, somewhat gimmicky. The Olympics is where it's at. You're not gonna have any of that going on to try to get US and Japan in the gold medal game. But look, we can all enjoy it for what it is. Can we all agree on that it's fun and it's great camaraderie, it's great representation of country. It's awesome in that respect. But don't try to tell me this is not a made for TV scripted event. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have three lines open, and we are live at camel Back Ranch as the Dodgers and Reds are playing under the lights tonight and the Dodgers are leading the red six to three in the top of the fifth inning. Actually the top of the fifth just ended. Let's go out to the phones. Mike in Hollywood. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Mike?
Speaker 6: I'm good, Dave.
Speaker 7: What's up?
Speaker 8: How are you howards Arizona?
Speaker 5: Is it hot?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: The heat has been turned up this week. And if you're coming out here. Be ready for temperatures close to one hundred degrees.
Speaker 8: Oh, I wish I could make it. Listen, David, I want to do it. Check in with you about Mookie. You know, last two seasons, we've had some down offensive years. You know, he's been injured, he's been ill, he had some personal family tragedy. Working on being really one of the best shortstops.
Speaker 2: In the majors.
Speaker 8: And I heard at the beginning of spring that he felt like he was, you know, going to have some kind of return to form, that he was feeling the best spring in a long time.
Speaker 7: Where's he at.
Speaker 8: What are you thinking for Mookie season? Offensively, I'm expecting great things from him. It's shortstop again. But wanted to see what she was thinking about him offensively.
Speaker 2: No, I'm with you, Mike. I feel like he's gonna bounce back and prove a lot of people wrong. We had JD. Martinez on a couple of weeks ago, and he believes that Mookie's an MVP candidate even at this stage of his career, even after coming off his worst offensive season, and MOOKI by the way, Mike has stepped away from the team, he has returned to Los Angeles to be with his wife because they are expecting their third child. And Dave Roberts said, he yeah, yeah, So Mookie's gonna be back Saturday and probably in the lineup. So all our best wishes are with Brianna and Mooki as they welcome in their third child. So that's where Mookie's at. And the other morning before he left for LA to be with Brianna, h I saw him with the Yamamoto arrows tucked underneath his arm. He was going back out there, and it's working for him. I guess the velocity he is up on his throws, uh, without putting a lot of stress on his arm to continuing to throw the baseball. So he's trying to get better and he's uh, he's locked in on trying to win his fifth World Series and help the Dodgers become the first team since the Yankees to three peat twenty six years ago. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number when we continue, maybe we'll tap into Rick Monday and ten Nevert even more. And also you'll hear from key Y Hernandez about the Dodgers going for the three peat and Derek Carr shared with us how he got the second base bag that Miguel Rojas and keyk Hernandez teamed up to force a game seven. Yeah, he has that. He'll tell us the story. He joined us on Tuesday. We'll share that with you again right here on Dodger Talk on a five to seventy LA Sports. Ah, the Dodgers are pouring it on at kemel Back Ranch. David Fast say with you until eight o'clock. Right here on a five to seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers are leading the Reds eight to three. Tae Oscar Hernandez just hit a two run home run, So the Dodgers offense rolling right now against the Reds. And right now it's Freddie Freeman at first base, Alex Call at the plate, Max Monsey on deck, who also hit a two run home run in the last inning. So maybe we'll tap into Rick Monday and Tim Neverett for the monthly at back coming up here after Call either gets on or strikes out. It's a full count right now with nobody out in the bottom of the fifth inning, Dodgers leading the Reds eight to three. Now, our next simulcast broadcast is going to be this Saturday, the Dodgers will be right here at Camelback Ranch facing the White Sox. The White Sox will be the home team, the Dodgers will be the road team, as you know, they share this stadium. Our coverage begins at twelve thirty, first pitch at one oh five with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett, and our next Dodger talk show won't be until Saint Patrick's Day. So that's next Tuesday. And like I mentioned, spring training is rapidly coming to an end. Opening Day is just two weeks away, March twenty sixth. Don't forget. Opening Day is an evening affair five forty. They're doing that because of their new partnership with Peacock. Not a great time if you're a hitter to be facing pitching at five forty, as you know. So whoever is the opening day starter for the Dodgers and whoever's pitching for the Diamondbacks, it's Zach Gallon. Actually, Gallen is gonna be the opening day starter. They're gonna be feeling good. All right, Let's go tap into Sports at LA before we take more phone calls and hear from keyk Hernandez. Max Munsey has step to the plate with two on and nobody out, Munsey hit a two run home run in his last at bat.
Speaker 4: Souvenir Bill, that was.
Speaker 1: A loud sound.
Speaker 5: It's from Anton that's lowing in. I'm going to peel down to third. Miche Lensky says, no, he didn't go. But Mike Malinsky on the bases with Brian Van breaking and Jen Paul is back out there tonight. First female umpire in the major leagues turns out there umpiring. Second basis. Sitting umpires continue to rotate on the basis during spring training.
Speaker 2: Max's went up in the air place able to left. Come on month, see underneath it. I guess I can't go to the at bats. Every time I go to there at bats, they don't hit the home run. I was so close before we went to the break to tap into ta Oscar Hernandez's at bat, and he hits a two run home run. So Max Munsey a two run home run. He's sitting three point thirty three this spring. He hit that two run home run in his last at bat, the Dodgers leading the Reds right now eight to three, in the bottom of the fifth inning. I got news for you. The Dodgers have scored eight runs, and they don't have Mookie Bets in the lineup. They don't have Kyle Tucker in the lineup. They don't have Will Smith in the lineup. They don't have Tommy Edmond in the lineup. What I'm trying to tell you is the Dodgers are a much scarier team than they were a year ago. If you look at the Dodgers last year, and Andrew Freeman has been very, very candidate out this The Dodgers were not a good offensive team the second half of last year, and they only hit two oh three in the World Series and somehow still won a seven game World Series. So what did the Dodgers do? Michael Conforto not much production out of left field. Uh, not a lot of range in left field. They go out and sign Kyle Tucker. Kyle Tucker now hitting second is gonna allow Mookie Betts to hit third. You got Otani, Tucker, Bets, Freeman as your first four hitters. You're better defensively in right field, which helps your pitching staff. Andy Piz has showed no signs of a sophomore slump this spring. He's hitting four to fourteen with an eleven hundred ops. He's two for two tonight, has scored two runs. Tascar Hernandez has driven in piz twice tonight with an RBI double in a two run home run. So you got Pie Hev and a much more confident Pa has in center field, and a guy that still feels like he has a lot to prove, so he's got that edge still. And you got ti Oscar Hernandez who has come into camp fifteen to twenty pounds lighter than he was a year ago, and he's banging the ball around all spring training, so it obviously hasn't taken any pop out of his bat. And he's going to be more nimble in left field. He's a better left fielder. When the Dodgers won the World Series in twenty twenty four, when Taoscar Hernandez was playing left field, he had thirty three home runs and drove in one hundred runs. You got Max Munsey, who is the healthiest he's been in a couple of years. At third base. You got Mookie Bets, and I find it hard to believe that Mookie Betts is going to have a repeat of last season's offensive struggles. You're going to have a combination of Rojas Edmund Kim at second, and he got Freddie Freeman, who is showing no signs of father time catching up with him. And you got Will Smith, who is in the prime of his career. Not to mention, the Dodgers' bullpen blew at least ten games late. That's not going to happen again this year. With Edwin Diaz as their closer. It allows Tanner Scott to not have pressure. You're getting Alex Vesia back, who did not pitch in the World Series. So the two biggest weaknesses whereas closing games the bullpen and outfield offense and defense, and the Dodgers have been able to take care of both at the same time, or take care of both during the offseason. So I got news for you, everybody that's angry at the Dodgers, Well you had your last year. They were more vulnerable to be beat last year, and they almost were. They almost were. The Padres almost beat them in the NLS. They finished three games back. The Phillies blew it. Basically, they came close. The Brewers lost a close game one, the Dodgers swept them. The Blue Jays inches from beating a Dodger offense that only hit two oh three and was using starters as relievers, not just one starter, but multiple starters because they didn't really have too many relief options they could trust. Not So this year, the Dodgers are in a much better spot at this time last year than they were a year ago. They are a much better team, and I kind of feel like there was more pressure around this Dodger team to see whether or not they could repeat last year. Then there is going into camp and being around camp this year because they're playing with house money, going for the three peat. They faced the pressure cooker last year. It just feels a little more free and easy and the normalcy of a spring trending that is not requiring the Dodgers to go to Korea or Tokyo to start the season. Kei a Hernandez all blonde of him, spoke about embracing the fact they are going for history and the three peat.
Speaker 9: Yes, we are going for the three peat, but these are things that you don't think about because you're trying to win this year. Whatever happened last year in the previous year, that's already paid for, that's already history. You're not trying to win three championship one year. You're just trying to win this year, and we know how hard it is to win. We don't really take it for granted, even though we've been there, done that.
Speaker 10: We know that.
Speaker 9: We start to show up and do what we got to do to it, you know, win ball game, win the division, get into October, and then win three or four series, however many it takes. But as far as like thinking three p we're just trying to win this year, we're not. Really. We're already won the last two years, but that doesn't do anything for us other than, you know, put a target on our backs. But we're trying to win this year, and if we win this year, it just happens to be three in a row. I take it as a compliment. I take it as a privilege. We we're playing in some some weird times in the game where you know, not not every person that owns the team is trying to win, a lot of them are trying to make money, and fine, if it's it's their money, they can do whatever it is. But not all thirty teams are trying to win a World Series. And for us to be in a position where This team is doing whatever it can, it takes or they can to put us in a position to compete deep into the season, deep into October. I take it as a as a as a privilege, and I guess maybe it's because it's my tenth year here and it's nothing new to me. But I don't necessarily think anything changes because we're trying to go.
Speaker 4: Through in a row.
Speaker 2: That was key Hernandez earlier today in the Dodger clubhouse, and hard to believe he's been here for ten years. He was with the Red Sox for a couple of years, but luckily the Dodgers brought him back at the trade deadline in twenty twenty four. So look, he is a huge voice in that clubhouse, and he's echoing what the sentiment is from a lot of players I've spoken to. They're not shying away from the fact they're going for the three peat. They're not shying away that. Basically everybody is resentful of how good they are and the collection of talent they have. So that is what separates these Dodger players from other teams. They're veterans, they've been there before. They were in a Game seven of the World Series they understand how to navigate a regular season. And oh, by the way, Key k Hernandez won't play until June or July, and they'll get a second half Key k a Hernandez to go along with everybody else they have. They're not gonna have Tommy Edmond to start opening Day, but they're going to have Santiago Espinal. It feels like the Dodgers may have found another diamond in the rough. I mean, he's a major league veteran, he's made an All Star team, but the Dodgers just picked him up before camp and he's going to make the team and he's going to play third base. He's going to play some second base. You need those type of guys to compliment the stars, and the Dodgers certainly have that. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. This is Dodger Talk David Vasse live at Camelback Ranch as the Dodgers and Reds are playing under the lights.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 2: It's eight to three Dodgers in the top of the sixth inning. Let's go back out to the phones. Isaac in the City of Industry. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Isaac, I'm doing well, Dave, are you I'm doing great.
Speaker 7: Yeah. So I just want to touch a couple of things that you said about the WBC as well as wrestling. Yeah, about the WB, about the WBC not being like a real tournament because the rosters aren't really made up of Not because of that.
Speaker 2: I didn't say because of that. I said because they have an asterisk that is trying to get the US in Japan to play each other in the finals when they should be playing in the semi finals.
Speaker 3: Right right.
Speaker 7: But I'm saying, like some of the players, yeah.
Speaker 2: The best of the best are not playing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but it's the same thing in the Olympics. You know, no major leaguers can be we're able to be on the Olympic team. It was so it was mostly made up of prospects and minor leaguers and guys that were formerly in the league.
Speaker 2: Well, some of the best college baseball players. And that's part of the reason. You know, nineteen eighty four that US baseball team had some pretty good players on it. And I love the fact that Baseball in the Players Union is discussing having major league players playing the Olympics in twenty twenty eight. So you're telling me that's not going to be bigger than the World Baseball Classic.
Speaker 7: For some of the players, it may or may not be.
Speaker 2: I would imagine all.
Speaker 4: Of them are.
Speaker 2: It would be bigger because honestly, the Olympics has done baseball dirty. They don't have it as an Olympics sport every year depending what host country it is. And that's why Major League Baseball decided to start this World Baseball Classic. But come on, Dodger Stadium, the Olympics, major League players, everybody's want to participate. It's going to be an epic Olympics if it does come to fruition. Yeah, and there's not going to be any any asterisks to get certain teams in the gold medal round like the World Baseball Classic has right now, Isaac, Hey, I like it. I like the games, certain games I've you know, made a point to watch while I'm out here in the desert. But I can't buy all the way in I can. I can enjoy it for what it is. Yeah, I understand, all right, Isaac, Thank you for the phone call. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Yeah, you know I was called Debbie Downer you know last week on the show, and that's fine, that's fine, but I'm a realist. I just can't buy all the way into this tournament for a lot of different reasons. And the USA manager didn't even know whether or not they were going on to the next round. And maybe that's the reason why he had Ryan Yarborough in the game, down three to nothing and it soon turned five nothing, you know, having Ryan Yarborough and no disrespect to him having yards in that game that you kind of have to win. If USA doesn't come back to score the runs that they scored, I feel like somebody let them know, Hey, you better start scoring some runs because if you don't, you're gonna be in real trouble. If they don't come back to make it somewhat of a close game, USA is out and there's a lot of fallout if USA doesn't didn't advance. And I love Pascuantino saying you're welcome, USA. I mean, it's embarrassing, it's embarrassing what took place. And I'm not blaming Mark de Rosa. You're telling me Mike Hill, in charge of USA Baseball, the GM can't tell them, hey, you kind of misspoke. We don't have our ticket punched, or this is what's at stake, lay it out for him. Come on eight six, six, nine seven, two five seventy is the phone number. On Tuesday night, when all that was unfolding, Derek Carr, the former Raiders quarterback, joined us. And if you want to hear that show, was a great show Rick Monday, Derek Carr. You can hear the entirety of that show on the iHeart Radio app, and you can live stream Dodger games and make Dodger Talk a number one preset on the iHeart Radio app. And right now, looking at what's happening before we get to Derek Carr, just paying the picture because Alex Vesia just pitched a scoreless sixth inning here at camel Back Ranch and is coming off the field to standing ovation and applause, And obviously Dodger fans that are here at camel Back Ranch for the first time want to show a Vessia with a lot of love. So that was special ast well. Great to have him back. And that beard, I mean it is getting Peter Griffin lane. I think there's a bird nesting in that Vessia beard these days. But awesome to have him back, and it feels like he's getting back to you know, baseball when he's here at the ranch. Anyway, as the Dodgers and Reds playing to the bottom of the sixth inning, I want to share with you Derek Carr's story. Derek Carr, if you watch his podcast, has a baseball base in the background, and that bass, he explained to us, is the actual second base bag that was in the ground in Toronto for Game six of the World Series. Remember Key k Hernandez doubling off Addison Barger at second base, Rojas making an incredible pick, short hop pick. Yeah, Derek Carr has that in his office. Here's the story on how he obtained not just a piece of memorabilia, but a piece of Dodger in baseball history.
Speaker 10: Honestly, we still don't have I don't even know if I have the real story yet. But a business partner of ours was like, man, I just wanted to get you guys something nice. And he said, I had no clue what to get you, So I thought Dodgers and he said I had I reached out and had someone and whatever, and he just went down this rabbit hole and sure enough, it pops up in our office and it's I mean, it's got the it's got the dirt marks, it's got the cleat marks, it's got everything. And I was like, dude, this is like such a precious thing to some Dodger fans. Obviously, for that moment to end right there at second base and now it's sitting here in our office in Presno, California.
Speaker 1: Is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: That was Derek Carr and the story of how he has the second base bag from Toronto Rogers Center Game six, so the World Series in his office and he's coming to ten games and I said, hey, I got to let Miguel Rojas and Key k Hernandez know that you have this second base back in your possession. And Rojas immediately said, yeah, tell them, tell them to bring it to Dodger Stadium. I'll sign it for him. I haven't had a chance to relay the story to Key a Hernandez, but Rojas, who actually had his cleat marks on the second base bag receiving the throw from Key a Hernandez to end Game six and force a Game seven, he's all in to sign that for Derek Carr. So cool story. Derek Carr's been a Dodger fan since he was a kid. His brother David, his other brother, you know, Dad. They grew up in Bakersfield and we're all in with the Dodgers as kids. So a great story. And if you want to hear the full conversation with Derek Carr, like I said, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That'll do it for us. Tonight from camel Back Ranch. To keep up with the Dodgers the rest of this game, tune over to Sports net LA Rick Monday and Tim Neverett on the call as the Dodgers are up eight to three in the bottom of the sixth inning. Our next Dodger talk show will be next Tuesday, Saint Patrick's Day at seven o'clock, and our next Dodgers simulcast right here on a five seventy LA Sports with Rick and Tim will be this Saturday. Our coverage begins at twelve thirty and first pitch at one oh five between the Dodgers and White Sox right here at camel Back Ranch in Glendale, Arizona. Thanks to Ronnie Fascio for all his help. Thanks to Colin Yee who is back at the Burbanks Studios earlier today and thanks to you for listening. Like I said, you missed the show any of them. iHeartRadio. App is where you want to go. And oh, by the way, I'll be back with you tomorrow at noon Rogan and Rodney are off. I'll be co hosting the Rogan and Rodney Show with that's right, the one and only Southern California Sports Broadcasting Hall of Famer himself, Steve Hartman. That's right, Steve Hartman and David Vasse tomorrow noon to can't wait to do that with Steve Hartman. It'll be wild. Hope you tune in as well. We'll talk to you tomorrow. Have a great rest of your night.
Speaker 8: See you