Speaker 1: But you're here to see one man, and this is a story of perseverance, overcoming adversity and becoming a back to back World Series champion. He is the anchor of the Bullpen Dogs for the Dodgers, the one and only.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Can I hear that? Can I hear the Can I hear the dogs? Or there there it is.
Speaker 1: I think he's ready now and that beautiful beard and living color.
Speaker 2: Welcome Alex Vesia to Downey Hyundai. There he is. Look at that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, man, he's making his way up the runway.
Speaker 2: We got a stage, we got a big screen, you know.
Speaker 1: Thing here going Alex Vessia, my guy, man, beautiful how about this?
Speaker 2: I mean, look look behind you, VESSI look at this Vesia. There you are.
Speaker 1: We got everything A right guy, Sam the man, I'm learning that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all him. Thank you for coming out.
Speaker 3: This is awesome. Wow, I was traffic was traffic?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: This is cool.
Speaker 1: This is the center of Los Angeles right here in Downey and as you can see, the city loves you very much.
Speaker 2: Fans are wrapped around the building for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate it. This is this is super cool.
Speaker 2: Hey, Usually relievers don't get this type of love.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like this is a very very unique situation because relievers are kind of like offensive linemen. Nobody knows about them until the quarterback gets sacked, until maybe a home runs given up. But these fans appreciate and have wrapped their arms around you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that for the last six years.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's it's a long, long, you know, long journey. But you know, I think the the time on the field and whatnot, and you know, I just I put it all out there and I think it's recognizable and.
Speaker 3: Man, it's a little overwhelming, a little.
Speaker 4: Overwhelming, Dave, But no, it's super cool, really really nice to be out with the fans to you know.
Speaker 1: What's wild is when we see you on the mound, you're so fired up, you hit that switch, yep.
Speaker 2: And I feel like.
Speaker 1: When you're on the streets of LA you're on the streets of Downey, people expect you to have that type of personality, but you're nothing.
Speaker 2: Like who you are on the mound.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's I mean, competition and competing and it's way different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's way different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely go into a different mindset when I'm out on the mound, you have to. But I just still, you know, like normal, like today, it's a normal day. I feel like I'm a regular guy. I'm just trying to live life like the rest of us. And you know, this is this is cool. I like just kind of hanging out and yeah, it' stuff. There's not as much tendency. There's not you know, like I don't have red Bull going through my veins right now or anything like that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, man, no, this is super cool.
Speaker 1: Are you saying that when you walk up and down Firestone Boulevard and Downey you're not wearing your fifty one Vesie jersey?
Speaker 4: No, No, but I'll see a lot of them here today, which is really cool.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: That's Sam.
Speaker 3: I know Sam's got it. I know that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Relievers never have jerseys made of them, No, unless you're like the closer. Yeah, but a guy like you, I mean, fifty one.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of fifty ones out there.
Speaker 3: There is there is.
Speaker 4: It's gotten a lot more popular the last couple of years, so, which is a good thing.
Speaker 3: That means I'm doing my job.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, exactly, And you have been doing your job ever since you became a Dodger, and you guys just got back from a road trip that felt like it was a month long, more than just six games. Yeah, when you go through something like that. And number one, did you realize I wasn't on this road trip?
Speaker 3: No, I realized it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I realized that you weren't in the clubhouse bugging every player and getting into our business. No, no, Yeah, this is a This road trip was really long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was cool. I got to see d Ma. Yeah, that's my guy, and we were locker buddies.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, with it when he was with us, and then you know, with everything that he had had gone through with surgeries and yeah, the sophagus stuff. Right, so you know, he's been really really good friend of mine and so I got to see him, got to give him his ring.
Speaker 3: That was really cool.
Speaker 4: And then obviously playing in Houston, you know it was it was all right. We took two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was good. You gotta split on that road trip. Yeah, we're almost at the quarter point of the season.
Speaker 2: Can you believe that?
Speaker 3: Wow, that's so weird.
Speaker 1: The schedule has been played already and you guys are in first place in the n L West. I know Andrew Friedman and Dave Roberts understand how to navigate one hundred and sixty two games, But as a guy that's in it every day, how do you navigate one hundred and sixty two games.
Speaker 3: One day at a time?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's.
Speaker 4: My routine is what keeps it kind of easy. I do the same thing every day. I eat the same thing every day. That's just kind of my thing. Oh yeah, yeah, I just chicken rice and avocado is like my absolute favorite game.
Speaker 3: Right, that's my thing.
Speaker 4: Chicken rice, avocado, Chick fil a Sauce, chick It's the best.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like that routine is kind of just what it's.
Speaker 4: It's easy, it sticks, It's not super complex or complicated. But like, one day at a time, one pitch at a time is kind of the thing that you know, Barto and the bullpen kind of tells us, you know, And it worked the other night, you know, glass now coming out of the game, Jack Dryer coming in had a you know, super long, extensive warm up, and I mean he set the tone for that whole game. So that was super cool. I was really really proud of him, and I didn't have to go in that.
Speaker 3: Game, which that was good. I'll take it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you know, it's you never know what you're gonna get, man, baseball one hundred and sixty two games.
Speaker 3: It's never it's never the same.
Speaker 1: All Right, You go back and Alex Bessie is our guest on Dodger Talk. We are at down seventy five to fifty Firestone Boulevard.
Speaker 2: You hear about guys. Yeah they work here.
Speaker 3: Yeah they do.
Speaker 2: They like where they work. That's good, that's good. So guys like Will Climb.
Speaker 1: Nobody knew who Will Cline was until Game three of last year's World Series, right, and.
Speaker 2: He's come back this year. I mean we knew who he was, yeah, we did. It was on our team, but people in America did not know.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure many people in Downey knew who Will Cline was before Game three of the World Series.
Speaker 3: They know him now, yeah, they do? They know him?
Speaker 2: How? You know?
Speaker 1: Everybody wants to know, how do the Dodgers make this work? Alex Vessia an unknown from the Marlins. Yep, you turn into Alex Vesia. You can't go anywhere in Downey without people knowing you.
Speaker 4: Now about that?
Speaker 3: But all right, Okay, where are you going with this, Dave?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Will Klin.
Speaker 1: How do you guys make him feel like feel like he belongs after what he did in that moment? Coming back a brand new season every year is unique and he's been able to, you know, take his game to the next level.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think it's there's a little bit of both, right, and hang on with me, Right, It's he did something super special last year. Right, There's also this is a new season, this is new objectives, this is new goals, this is everything is in front of him, right, So it's being able to kind of still chase that and not live right in the past.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: But last year was super cool man, watching him grow and and just kind of become who he is now.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: You know, he stepped up in a big way. And I mean we knew he had really good stuff when we got him. I don't know how much he believed in his stuff, but you know, over the course of the season, you know, bouncing up and down, and you know he works really hard, and I mean it paid off in that moment and then now you're seeing it this year that you know, he's he's he's been really good for us. It's been really awesome to watch him throw and having a writing another writing in the bullpen to uh, you know, take down. Right, he's lefties whatever whatever lane Doc wantson and you know he's ready.
Speaker 1: The dynamics of a bullpen are so interesting, right, yeah, yeah, big time.
Speaker 2: You've been through.
Speaker 1: This for the last six years. Guys have come and gone, Guys have helped you grow. You're helping young guys grow.
Speaker 2: How do you guys?
Speaker 1: Have you guys started to find an identity for this bullpen because you guys in twenty four were called the dogs. I would say this version of twenty six is very similar to those guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is, No, it is, And I'm I'm really really looking forward to having Gradol back. Yeah, but yeah, he's back. He had he's had one or two rehabit rehab outings. I still keep in touch with them, you know, right, you know, just you oh, absolutely like asking him how's you know, rehabs going. You know, it's a it's a long process. We also we're also getting Evan Phillips back. That's another one that he'll text me from time to time and you know, keep me updated and whatnot.
Speaker 3: But uh, the identity. I still like the Dogs, I really do.
Speaker 4: I think that there's still that core group of guys that twenty four that you know, we'll be back for twenty six.
Speaker 3: So I think we'll have to you know, we'll have.
Speaker 4: To talk to everybody, because it's not I'm not making that decision on what we're gonna call each other.
Speaker 2: You're just the dogs as long as you're good with that.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: On the Dodgers, it's the bullpen dog.
Speaker 3: I like that. Come on.
Speaker 4: I don't think anybody else would, uh would change it, but yeah, one one game at a time for us, and uh, you know, we still got a lot of baseball.
Speaker 2: Has Tanner Scott found the dog inside Tanner?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That man, that that guy. He's the funniest dude in the world.
Speaker 4: I think it like try a sense of humor round Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But sometimes I wonder if his humor connects with you, because then you'll be like, oh, Tanner's settled down or yeah, yeah, whatever you say.
Speaker 2: Tanner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like you're like the elder statesman now, you're the adult now, which is incredible to believe.
Speaker 4: In that, you know, Yeah, he makes me on my toes. I'll tell you what on my toes. But yeah, he uh, he's been really really good this year, and I'm just hoping that you know it. You know, we keep going back and forth, and you know, when he pitches one night, maybe I'll pitch the next night and we will just kind of It's it's also fun like doing going over scouting reports with him, since like we're similar in like certain areas with like fastballs and sliders. Obviously he throws harder and his sliders a little different than mine, So it's like just kind of picking his brain on that you have to actually be in the bullpen to get those answers. If you're in the clubhouse, you're not getting those answers from him. So yeah, it's you know.
Speaker 2: He turns into a different guy when he's in the bullpen.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah, And that that is a very special, very special human right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I would say so so is Alex Vessia, right who doesn't love Alex Vessi uh, yeah, we are down at hum days, seventy five fifty fires throwing boulevardel.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 1: I got an idea that I wanted to run by Joe Kelly was on the show last Thursday, Joe Kelly.
Speaker 2: Joe Kelly was Mariachi Joe.
Speaker 1: All right, he's got a new fancy Mariachi Joe hat that new era made for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that. What is he up to these days? What is he doing?
Speaker 1: He is the He calls himself the self proclaimed drake of the Inland Empire, because he'll show up at an Ontario Tower Buzzers game, he'll show up at an Anaheim Ducks hockey.
Speaker 3: Game, all right.
Speaker 1: And I said, we got to get you at Dodger Stadium. And the idea was to have Joe Kelly, Mariachi Joe Kelly sit in one of those seats that overhangs the Dodger bullpen, just show up and sit there and surprise his old teammates.
Speaker 2: Man, would you be up for that?
Speaker 3: How would Yeah? I'm in on that. I think.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think we could get him, like, you know, the spot that's right next to the bullpen door, it's the first seat and that looks over it like actually into the field.
Speaker 3: I think if we got him right there, that would be even better.
Speaker 2: Oh what do you think he'd do?
Speaker 3: Oh? He would he would chirp us. For sure, all his comments would be not arable.
Speaker 2: No, that's for sure, but they get the dumb button ready when he comes on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely absolutely, yeah, he that would be that'd be fun.
Speaker 1: I mean, okay, it was very available these days.
Speaker 4: I bet he has a lot of time on his hands, but he's got he's got a few kids to take care of.
Speaker 3: He does Yeah, what is cursh call it his starting five and.
Speaker 2: Do you miss Kursehaw talks about.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, we we were in Colorado. Thomas the trainer. He uh, he facetimed him, so that was I was asking what he was doing.
Speaker 3: He was like, I did some bench. I'm done for the day. It was so funny. Man. So he's he's keeping active for sure, But but.
Speaker 2: How much What was your relationship like with him?
Speaker 4: Uh? My relationship with him, we competed in the gym every single day and not there was It wasn't weightlifting, it wasn't uh cardio.
Speaker 3: It was just who could be in the gym first.
Speaker 1: Who would show up for at first? And how many times would you beat him?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm definitely gonna give him. He beat he beat me more.
Speaker 4: His routine was also just way different being a starter in mind being a reliever. But yeah, no, he his guidance, his you know, just veteran presence day in and day.
Speaker 3: Out, is definitely why I do certain things the way I do them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, We've had multiple conversations with you know, having bad outings, having adversity, you know, holding yourself accountable in a standard.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Without Kursh, I definitely would not be in the in the position that I am. So yeah, he's been a great mentor for me, and I just will always remember that. Like, you know, he's it doesn't matter how like good of a baseball player, it's always was how good of a person you are. And that's, you know why he's one of the best Dodger pitchers ever, you know. So yeah, he's uh yeah, so shut shout out to him.
Speaker 1: I think that's why all these people respond to you. He's got great character as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe that's a I like that you.
Speaker 1: Care, you care, all right, they want to meet and greet with you. So I'm gonna ask you one more question. Okay, we have ten pairs of tickets to give away to the Dodgers Phillies game on May twenty ninth. It's Alex VESSI is Bobblehead night, what do you think aboutlehead?
Speaker 3: And Oh, it's unbelievable. It's so perfect. Yeah, it's so so perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah they missed, but this time they hit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: When they send it to me, the purple glove was awesome. But then like the facial expression yea, and then like, how like the picture that I wanted when I you know, my parents had asked me, even Kaz asked me about what bobhead I like, it's the exact picture of like what I wanted. So that was cool, and I didn't have really any say in it. They just kind of said it to it. Hey, this's your ball ahead. But yeah, it's perfect. I'm I'm so happy about that. I think my dad's thrown out the first pitch, so I think.
Speaker 1: I thought maybe I thought you were going to announce that. No, I was throwing out the first pitch.
Speaker 3: Sorry, not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, hey coming, we love Youssif all the fans are ready to meet you, get you kiss some babies, maybe throw them up in the air, maybe throw some adults up in the air.
Speaker 2: But protect that left arm. This is the golden left arm.
Speaker 1: Thank you to alex Vessia to coming out to downy Hondai seventy five.
Speaker 2: Point fifty Firetone Boulevard thanks to our guys.
Speaker 3: Sam. Yeah, very cool.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sting all of us