Speaker 1: Night the phones on a home run. You're ready to go.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the playoffs, Dodger fans.
Speaker 3: It's playoff time when your favorite show, thirteen wins is all it takes on half and escape for you.
Speaker 4: Welcome to a playoff edition.
Speaker 5: Of Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Get in on the action at eight six six eats Breeze, sleeps baseball.
Speaker 6: Now we goes your award winning broadcasters of the world champion Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Here's your host of Dodger Talk. It's only been fourteen years. Every day, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live an American family field in Milwaukee. After Blake Snell pitches the Dodgers to a game one win in the NLCS, Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse with you until ten o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. As the Dodgers, behind a dominant performers from Blake Snell, beat Milwaukee two to one, and Snell faced the minimum amount of batters in his eight shutout innings.
Speaker 1: Remarkable.
Speaker 2: We just got that stat from optastats that he became the first pitcher in baseball since Don Larsen pitched his perfect game in the nineteen fifty six World Series to face the minimum amount of batters through eight innings of a postseason game, and the reason why he faced the minimum number of batters despite giving up one hit was because he picked off Caleb Durbin trying to steal in the third inning for the second out, then came back and got Joey Ortiz to ground out to end the inning and the Dodgers hold on for a two to one win in Game one of the NLCS. The Dodgers are just three wins away from returning to the World Series. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number we will hear from Dave Roberts, we will hear from Blake Trining, and we will hear from Freddie Freeman, who hit his first postseason home run tonight in the sixth inning to break a scoreless tie. I thought, obviously Snell was fantastic. You could pick any one of the innings that stood out to you the most the fourth inning where he got Churio and Yelich got Cheerio looking and then struck out Yelich. Yelich has no chance against Blake. Snell, by the way, knew that coming in, and that was evident by the results tonight. As far as what I thought was the biggest inning, it was that fourth inning because after the Dodgers had a comedy of base running mistakes on the ball that Salfrellick caught from Max Munsey actually didn't catch, Taascar Hernandez was thrown out at the plate force play, and then also Will Smith unwisely went back to second base despite the left field umpire Chad Fairchild calling it a ball in play. The Dodgers should have remembered what took place earlier this season at City Field, because it was a similar play. The ball goes off the glove, it's in play, it's not a catch, and same thing here. Sal Frelick rob Max Mounsey what would have been a grand slam, but the ball came out of his glove and came back into play. The Dodgers have got to know that Tiascar Hernandez has got to go back to third base. So after the inning ends, when the Dodgers thought they may have had a big inning against Quinn Priester, the momentum is on the Brewer's side, but Blake Snell got it back immediately by retiring the brewers in order in that fourth inning, getting Cheerio looking striking out Yelich and then a comebacker from William coom Treis and Snell did a good job of fielding his position. Freddie Freeman made an even better scoop on the other end. It was in the dirt, and that could have got this crowd back into it. But after everything that unfolded in that top of the fourth inning, where you know, things went really sideways on the Dodgers and it was still a scoreless tie, Blake Snell went back out there like nothing ever happened. And that's why you need a veteran, That's why you need a two time Cy Young Award winner on your side, where things like that don't rattle, you don't get in your mind. You're just worried about getting the next hitter out, and that's exactly what he did. So to me, that fourth inning was the biggest of the eight that Blake Snell pitched. Tonight eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. We will get more postgame reaction, but we do have a full board of calls, so you know, I'll just say this before we go out to the calls.
Speaker 1: Many of you you know.
Speaker 2: I understand you want to take shots and say I suck up to Snell. I've been sucking up to Snell for the last two or three years. But here's something to keep in mind. I don't advocate for a player unless I believe in them. I believed in Blake Snell. I believed he could have helped the Dodgers last year. He's one of the best pitchers in baseball in the last five or six years, only one of seven pitchers in baseball history to win a Cy Young in both leagues. Don't act like this guy's a rookie that just showed up out of nowhere. This guy's one of the best pitchers in baseball. That's the reason why I advocate for him. That's the reason why I said, just wait when he comes back, You're gonna see Blake Snell carry the Dodgers' rotation. And that's what he has done in this postseason. He's allowed just three runs in his last forty innings. He is one of the best pitchers in baseball. That's the reason why I advocate for him. That's the reason why I've been telling everybody around the Dodgers they need this guy broadcasters, anybody that would listen. The Dodgers needed Blake Snell and you can't argue that anymore. He pitched the Dodgers to a win tonight against the best the team with the best record in the National League. So say what you want. You want to take shots at Snell, you want to take shots at me, I'll send you the apology letter as well. Eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Westwood. Sassan lead us off on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Hey, Daar, thank you so much for taking my call. I just wanted to say I wanted to issue a public apology for me and the rest of the Dodgers can base about our takes about Snell.
Speaker 8: Zia.
Speaker 7: I was completely wrong. You know, I was one of those people that wanted us to get match freed and not Snell. And you know I have to to live with that. I was completely wrong, and you were. You were one hundred percent correct, David.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: You know Salesoe is unbelievable for another times and I you know, we don't win this game without you know, his performance today, just you know, he's he's looking incredible and if he teases up. You know, I don't see why we can't uh repeat this year. My second point was, I think we just hopefully we can get a meeting with the team, uh the coaching staff and explain the uh when base runners can advance when a ball is hit to the outfield, because you know, crazy play and all. But you know, I think there we really missed an opportunity to cash in a few guns.
Speaker 5: Anyway, thank you so much.
Speaker 7: For taking Yeah, for sure, calling you tomorrow, David, Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, Sissan, thank you for the phone call. Eight six six seventy. No way to get around it. That was uh, it wasn't It wasn't good. In the fourth inning, you got to know a little bit more of the rules and understand where you're supposed to be as a base run Taascar Hernandez needed to tag up. Even if he thought Max Muntsey hit a grand slam, He's got to be on the bag. And as soon as that ball hits Felix's glove, he's got to be on the move because even though it popped out and he caught it again, it's the first time it touches the glove that he's able to tag up. And like, like I said, this play happened earlier in the year at City Field. I'm surprised the Dodgers didn't remember that. Let's go out to Anaheim, Hector. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi Hector.
Speaker 9: Hey, Dave, I gotta continue and also issue my apology because with Blake back in what was it januarys everyone maybe December when the Dodgers signed him, I had no idea we were going to get this super performance in October. And I want to just issue my apology. Blake's the guy. He's the guy moving forward. Two other things, the Bats need to wake up. The last three wins the Dodgers have won on Freddy scoop on that error and then by today strikeout. I mean, these games are very stressful. I don't know how you're doing it in the dugout or wherever you're standing, but I can just imagine the amount of stress that we're all going through as other fans. The last thing, I'll just say, it's a good thing that the Dodgers attacked or got through the Milwaukee Brewers' bullpen today. They got to see a lot of good arms. I think they got to see all their best arms. So I think it sets up nicely for tomorrow as long as they can get par Alta out by the fourth, maybe third inning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they can handle Parolta tomorrow. I think they're getting at least three or four runs off Paralta tomorrow. And thank you for the phone call. Look, I'm not asking for anybody to grovel, but just acknowledge that you were wrong and you doubted a guy that was a two time cy Young Award winner. There's a reason why Andrew Friedman signed him to that contract even though he's thirty two years old. That change up is a difference maker.
Speaker 1: Nobody can hit it. And this guy is committed.
Speaker 2: You heard him after the game, You have heard him in the past starts. This guy's all in. He's very committed. He has a lot to prove. He's pitching with a chip on his shoulder because people have not given him his due and have doubted him. And that's a good thing for the Dodgers. But he's channeling it in the right way. And look, that is what it comes down to, Blake Snell versus Max Freed. Max Freed had a better regular season, but this is when it counts the most. And I'm not going to name players, but the Yankee game when they were playing in the first round before they were knocked out, Max Freed was pitching, and I said, yeah, you know, Max Freed had a really good year, maybe his best year. And the two or three Dodger veterans around me when I said that, they both said, we still rather have Blake Snell. So that says enough. Let's go out to Texas.
Speaker 1: Ross. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Ross?
Speaker 5: I'm doing good, Dave. I just got a couple things to say here.
Speaker 10: If you love baseball, this was a great game to watch, But if you love Dodger baseball.
Speaker 5: This was amazing.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna have to disagree with the previous coller. I think our hitting was doing pretty good. I mean we were making the Brewers make good plays, and when they made good plays, I mean, Blake's now came out and threw an amazing game. That game could have gotten out of hand, but Blake just shut it down. He pitched the best game I've seen since he pitched in Game six.
Speaker 5: Of twenty twenty, and I just we got to get props to him.
Speaker 11: And I think we hit well too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you. At some point you got to give the other team some credit. You're right, the Phillies made outstanding defensive plays in Game four and tonight so did the Brewers. Or that fourth inning is a three run, four run inning against Quinn Priester if Frelick doesn't keep it in the ballpark, and unfortunately for the Dodgers, they came up with the zero. But you're right, and I like what I saw from Ote in his first at bat of the game. He did not chase like he has been chasing in the previous series.
Speaker 1: So that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the phone call, Ross, and I feel like we all have really focused on Otani. Freddie Freeman didn't do a lot against those Phillies pitchers. I thought he had the biggest walk of the NLDS, a two out walk to set up Key k Hernandez in Game one, his two out, two run double. Without Freddy's two out walk, that inning doesn't materialize. So he's doing things to help the Dodgers win. His defense has been amazing, but this series, I feel like this is a good matchup for Freddy and he'll do what he did tonight and get it going offensively. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Speaking of Freddie Freeman, he was in the interview room. Let's head downstairs to hear from the Dodgers World Series MVP.
Speaker 12: Freddie, You've been fortunate to play in so many postseason games. If this wasn't the most dominating pitching performance.
Speaker 13: What was?
Speaker 14: I mean?
Speaker 15: I can't think of one enough at the top of my head. That was just so good from the start. You know, sometimes it'll take an ending or two for someone to settle in, and it was from the get go. Just what he can do with the change u against right handed hitters. I think that's from eighty two to eighty eight. You can throttle it whenever he wants. It's not just one pitch he's thrown. It's like a three different pitches when you throw at three different speeds for hitters, and then when you think you're gonna sit on something, here comes ninety six nineys.
Speaker 13: It was just it was a masterpiece.
Speaker 14: Tonight, Russell, Freddy, you have about twenty five abs against Blake, so you kind of touched on a little bit. What isn't it bat like against especially left on left.
Speaker 15: I think I talk about gray hair a lot, and that's that's where some of them come. When you face guys like him and Jacob de Gram and those kind of pictures, you know when the minute you wake up, it's gonna be a battle that night. And when you face a power picture that can locate three plus pitches, you know it's gonna be tough.
Speaker 13: And that's the thing.
Speaker 15: It's like, just like you mentioned earlier, it's how he pitched the night is not probably going how he pitches the next time. And so it's hard to scout. It's hard to feel good against someone. You might have success in one game and it'll be completely thrown out the door and you're gonna strike out three times. And I've done it, you know, And it's just he knows what he's doing on the mound. I am so happy that we are sitting next to each other now and doing press conferences together and not having to be a part and walking by each other and talking about how he beat us again, because he did it a lot and he's amazing. There's a reason he's a two times Young Ward winner. He's on the biggest stage now and he's just doing what he's always done.
Speaker 13: Anthony's second round them back to Bill.
Speaker 16: Freddy. This probably goes without saying to a certain extent, but especially given the way this game got late, how important was it just to get this one and escape here with a win and you know, sort of establish yourselves now as the favorite.
Speaker 13: In this series. I mean, we knew coming into the series.
Speaker 15: They play great defense, they pitch, they just they get the big hits when they need to.
Speaker 13: That's just who the Brewers are.
Speaker 15: It's gonna be a tough series from the beginning, and you saw it tonight. Every ball we seem to hit, they caught it. And they pitched great, and we knew from the bat from the get go is gonna be battling. And when you get one for Blake, you're feeling good, but you always want to get more. We had some opportunities we didn't get it, but that running the top of the ninth was huge obviously twenty twenty hindsight, but getting on the road in an environment and taking the first one, it's huge. It's you can't understate that at all, just kind of how we did it in Philly, and to get the first one and you turn it over to Yoshie tomorrow. We obviously feeling pretty good, so hopefully we can score some more runs tomorrow.
Speaker 13: It's up to the fifth throw on the left side. Breddy, It's not just Blake.
Speaker 17: You've guys gotten good starting pitching throughout this postseason. You got guys going six seven innings pretty much every outing. How comforting is that just knowing that you don't have to do what the Brewers did the night and you know, throw six different guys out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 15: I think people that cover us, you know every day. I think we've been saying it for about a month now going into the postseason. Our starting pitching is what has made this US played better going into October.
Speaker 13: We always were talking about how we're.
Speaker 15: Playing our best baseball leading up to this postseason, and it started with our pitching staff. It seems there is a stretch there. It felt like six seven no hit innings. Every single guy was doing that. And when you as an offense you have those guys taking the ball every day and doing that and giving us a chance to win. As an offense, you just want to do everything you can to support them, and you do feel confident when you're not scoring runs at the beginning of the game, because you know our starting pitcher is going to keep us in that and you know with our offense we're going to find a way and scrap.
Speaker 13: And do anything we can.
Speaker 15: I mean, it was a little different tonight, but these are the games you need to win, the close ones in the postseason because you're not going to have these massive blowouts and usually and that you'll find one here and there, but you got to win these close games. And our starting pitching for the last time, I would say, I mean, you guys would know more seven eight weeks has been and I mean, I don't know if you can write enough words in your stories about our starting pitching. It really has been amazing, and they seem to feed off each other, and as an offense, we're just trying to do everything we can to support.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Freddy Freeman certainly singing the praises the Blake Snell and the Dodgers starters. They have had the best dlra in baseball as a group since the beginning of September and that has continued in the postseason, led by Blake Snell, who was marvelous tonight, eight shutout innings with ten strikeouts, allowed just one hit, and pitch the Dodgers to a two to one win in Game one of the NLCS over the Brewers. And I agree with Freddy, you can't take this for granted. Winning game one of the series on the road again. The Dodgers did that against the Phillies, and now they have a chance with Yamamoto on the mount tomorrow night against Freddie Peralta, to do what they did against the Phillies and win the first two games on the road. That would be huge, especially since in the best of seven format it's two three two, so they will have three home games at Dodger Stadium already, they have a great chance of closing it out at Dodger Stadium having three home games they win tomorrow, they are in the driver's seat against a team that cannot slug with the Dodgers, and it was apparent they can't pitch with the Dodgers either. Their defense saves their pitching, that's for sure. Let's go out to Sherman Oaks. Eric, you're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 5: Eric, Hey, how you doing. David vasse good to hear you. Just you know, you know Blake Snell wears the size thirteen shoe and every time he steps on the mound he acts like that. You know what I mean, big shoe energy. I love to see it out of Blake SNeW the night he's coming through again. I never had a doubt when we signed him in the offseason. I never had a doubt. Two times Young Award winner in both leagues. Come on, come on, eight shutout innings, that's huge. I love the guy. He's a He's a Dodger legend already.
Speaker 1: All right, Eric, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 2: I feel like Blake Snell's signature moment with the dodgers was when he pitched those seven innings against the Phillies and fought to stay in to get the final out of that seventh inning. And I feel like now Dodger fans have really embraced Blake Snell as one of theirs with the way he's pitched in the postseason.
Speaker 1: And that's how you do it.
Speaker 2: That's how you build credit with a new fan base, and he certainly is. He's a big part of the Dodgers' run to the World Series, and if they win it, he will be a huge part of that as well, and that's what he wants. That's the reason why he signed here. He has said it repeatedly. He wanted to challenge himself to be able to be this guy in the postseason for the Dodgers, and so far he he has met those challenges. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Blake's now ten strikeouts in eight shutout innings helps the Dodgers beat the Brewers tonight two to one in Game one of the NLCS. Let's go out to Rosemead JP. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Milwaukee.
Speaker 5: Hi, JP, Hey, what's up, Dave?
Speaker 18: How you doing?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 2: Couldn't be better? And you know, just feeling good about Blake Snell. I knew he he could do this. He has done it, and I believe he's got more in the tank. And hopefully Dodger fans are appreciating what they're seeing now.
Speaker 18: Absolutely. And here's the thing. Do you remember a couple of years ago when they put him on on the Originals, when he was showing his shoe collection and all that. I knew Blake Snell was going to be a Dodger. Then he was with the San Diego Padres, and you know, I crenched every time we played him against the Padres. But when I saw that episode, I knew he was going to be a Dodger. And I'm so grateful that he's on our site now. And man, what a performance he did tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was amazing. And look, he's a fun loving guy. In some ways, he's a big kid. He reminds me of when I used to cover Shaquille O'Neal. Shaq was a big kid off the court and sometimes on the court, but when it came down to business, he was locked in. And same with Blake and last night at the workout, usually Blake will come over and talk to me, but he was locked in. He did not want to talk last night, and that showed me where his head was at. And I've really enjoyed being around him every day now compared to just seeing him when the Dodgers played the Padres or the Giants. Just to see him when he's getting into his five day routine gives you a peek into what makes a guy tick and how they're successful every fifth day. And I've been privileged to be around the Goat himself for the last fourteen years Clay and Kershaw, and that's how you know when you see him on the mound, what goes into it and how much he cares. So yeah, it's been special and I don't see anything stopping Snell from continuing to build upon these starts. Thanks for the phone call, JP appreciated. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Now, as the eighth inning was ending, I feel like you and I and many others were saying leave him in, let Snell finish this game, but Dave Roberts had Roki Sasaki warming up with that in mind, bringing in Sasaki after Snell got the first twenty four outs of the game. I would have led him in, left him in to finish it out, but obviously Roki's been really good tonight.
Speaker 1: It was not.
Speaker 2: It was not the ideal Sasaki matchup because these Brewers don't chase, and a lot of the pitches that he was throwing were not appearing as strikes out of the hand. They were we were looking like outside the strike zone, and that's what gave him problems. Let's head downstairs right near right now to hear from Dave Roberts to hear what his thought process was and letting Sneill know eight shutout innings was enough.
Speaker 19: Otani and trying on two guys that you really need and have been both scuffed a little bit, you know, not great performances, but show hey got the three walks, set up what proved to be the winning run, trying did get out of that inning, did close the game out.
Speaker 13: Is this moving in the right direction? Are these positive signs? Absolutely?
Speaker 20: I think obviously it was a tight ball game to the end. But I thought offensively we were very good tonight. I thought we took good at bats all night long. We put the bomb, play, didn't strike out. Obviously, there are some crazy things that happened that they weathered some innings, But offensively I thought we were great. I thought the defense played really well, and to see Blake come in and close it out was big for his confidence and us going forward. Oh yeah, I thought, sure, he's at batsal great tonight.
Speaker 13: Babian, Yeah, Dave, what do you see from Rookie in the night?
Speaker 21: Thanny?
Speaker 22: Do you think there might have been some carryover just from going three innings in Game four of the DS there?
Speaker 20: You know, I don't know he had three days off. Everything I heard he felt great and there was some near misses, but you know, you walk through guys, and so he was just off a little bit. But I thought stuff was still good, but just missing. And I don't know, you know, if there was carryover from the from the three innings, just kind of betting on you know, how he's saying he feels, and the coaches and training staff, and you know, with threes three days off, I felt good.
Speaker 22: With him and with Blake obviously, see you've seen a lot of good postseason pitching performances, but what do you think of where do you think Blake stills outing ranks among those?
Speaker 13: Tonight?
Speaker 20: This was This was as good as I can remember in the postseason. Against a very you know, gritty team, puts the ball in play, the change up was the pitch of the night. His command was great, and yeah, you're not going to see too many performances like that, certainly in the postseason. This was this was pretty Special's go.
Speaker 13: Over to the left side, Russell Doc.
Speaker 14: When you're seeing the change up, you know, get so much swinging miss as they're a feeling first second inning where you know he has the full Marsinal working.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I did, and he just has an ability to kind of manipulate the change up within the change up, and I thought his command, I thought, you know, his delivery. He was just sort of in that zone tonight. And so I saw that early on, and you know, had no hesitation obviously running up through six through seven and through the eighth.
Speaker 13: Inning Anthony second row and then back to Bill.
Speaker 16: Just what is going through your mind in the ninth when you know, not that there was ever a large margin in this game, but a game that was relatively secure suddenly becomes not so much.
Speaker 13: You know that that seem's gonna fight. They're going to fight to the end.
Speaker 20: We know we're up again, and you just want to, you know, hope, guys make pitches, keep making pitches, and you got to give credit to those guys. They took the walks, they kept the line moving, and ultimately we had to put the ball over the plate and blake. You know, fortunately I had a good at bat versus terrain. But it's not going to come easy. You know, this is going to be a grind. It's going to be tough, and you know, no one expects expects it.
Speaker 13: To be Bill.
Speaker 12: I just wonder what you saw on that kind of weird double play. Did you figure it out as it was going on, or it happened so fast you didn't even realize what was happening.
Speaker 13: It happened fast.
Speaker 20: I didn't know he didn't catch it. To be quite honest, we go over that rule tail nose the rule. I think right there he just had a little bit of a brain fart, appreciating that when it does hit the glove, it's going to you can tag there. But then he tagged it correctly.
Speaker 13: Then saw you know, he.
Speaker 20: Didn't actually didn't went back and that was the mistake. But he owned it, and you know, after that, there's nothing else you can do about it.
Speaker 22: Fabian, it seemed like even after they reviewed it, you sort of went out for an explanation. What sort of were you looking to get from the umpires? There was it just about who relaid what to wear in terms of like THEA.
Speaker 20: I just wanted clarity, Honestly, I didn't know that they ruled it a no catch, So I just wanted clarity on the whole situation and then kind of making sure that they got a couple forceouts, which they did, and ultimately those guys and replaying the guys on the field got it right.
Speaker 1: They nailed it all right. There's Dave Roberts in the interview room.
Speaker 2: I guess nobody else was thinking along with us on why he took out Blake's now after one hundred and three pitches, eh shutout innings, facing the minimum number of batters and going to face the bottom third of the order.
Speaker 1: Look, it's a question to be asked.
Speaker 2: I just want to know what was going through his mind or did he have his mind set on Sasaki closing out the ninth inning no matter what was happening.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's a fair question to ask. It worked out.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers held on for the two to one win, but it was a little bit higher stress than what many of us thought Blake Snell would have handled in the ninth inning. But obviously Dave Roberts knows more about his picture and what's going on with him, and what the Dodgers' plans are for later in this series if it goes longer, and what may be ahead for Blake Snell in the World Series. If the Dodgers can get three more wins eight six, six, nine, eight seven, two five, seventy is the phone number David Vase live at American Family Field in Milwaukee. After Blake Snell pitches the Dodgers to a game one win, and I guess everybody that wants to say, yeah, yeah, but he only goes five innings or yeah, yeah, he only goes six innings, Well, tonight he went eight eight shutout and he probably could have finished this game. So that's a moot point as well, and has been since that seven inning dominant performance where he fought to stay in for the final out of that seventh inning back in September against the Phillies. Let's go out to West Lake Village. David, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Milwaukee.
Speaker 21: Hi, David, Hey, dv thanks a lot for taking my call. Wow, what a game. And I'm not gonna apologize to you because I was a believer in Snell since twenty twenty. Man, when my family and my buddy Dave were at the World Series and when Kevin Cash went and got Snell Zilla, my buddy Dave and I were hugging each other and jumping for joy because we knew we actually had a chance to win the game. So that guy is a stud And you know what, if he wants to go to Cancun in the summer and sip on some tequila, or he wants to go to Hawaii and sip on some my ties all summer long and come back and pitch in August in September, I'm okay with that.
Speaker 5: He deserves that.
Speaker 21: He's amazing, And look, that's.
Speaker 2: Not what he was trying to do. He was actually trying to make a great first impression and pushed it a little bit too hard as he was getting ready for spring training.
Speaker 1: But go ahead, what else you got, David.
Speaker 5: It's great.
Speaker 21: I want to just talk about you're putting a lot of the blame and people are on too, and I agree, Looked, it's it's about seventy percent his fault. But but Dino Evil has a job.
Speaker 12: To do as well.
Speaker 21: And to me, you know, when I was a third days coach at West Hill's Baseball, shout out to West Hills Baseball. You have to get in that player's ear and a second that ball goes to the air, you tell you yell tagged. And then when he's on the back, when that ball touches the glove, you scream as loud as you can go, go, go, go go, and you got it.
Speaker 23: Got of getting those players ear.
Speaker 1: He did that.
Speaker 2: He did that where Dino what lost was he was so focused on ti Oscar Hernandez that he did in direct traffic with Will Smith.
Speaker 1: That's what it appeared like from here.
Speaker 2: But he was telling Taoscar Hernandez to tag, and he was telling him to go go go, So thank you. Yeah, a little bit different at West Hills Baseball than it is in Game one of the NLCS in a major league Ballpark's I mean, come on, you can't even compare it. What am I supposed to say there? West Hill's baseball, Little League baseball compared to the Game one of the NLCS with fifty thousand fans in a stadium and you have a major league player that should know to tag, well, dino Ebel was telling him to do that, and pre pitch is what dino Ebol is so good at. With that runner at third base, what kind of went sideways? Is Will Smith running back to second? He had to come to third. If anybody looks at the at the left field umpire Chad Fairchild, then things are a little bit easier. But I don't Dave Roberts just said ta Oscar Hernandez had a brain fart. He did, and you know that created the havoc and miscommunication with Will Smith going back to second base. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers do get the winning game one of the NLCS two to one. We are going to take a time out when we continue more of your phone calls. We have a full border calls. We're going to ten o'clock tonight. Plus you'll hear from Blake Trenton, who was in some ways just as big as anybody else to this game because he found a way to get the final out. After Roki Sasaki got the first two outs, led a run in, Blake Trenton had to come in and put out the rally that the Brewers had going there. We'll get into that ninth inning as well, after the Dodgers hold on for a two to one win in Milwaukee for a one nothing lead in the NLCS.
Speaker 1: David Vasse live from.
Speaker 2: Milwaukee at American Family Field on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David.
Speaker 1: Basse, will count Patrick's payoff.
Speaker 6: Freeman's went high in the air, right field, drifting back Curio on the warning track.
Speaker 1: He's at the wall. It is gone.
Speaker 24: Freddie Freeman with a sky scraping home.
Speaker 1: Run here in Game.
Speaker 2: One, Oh Paul, that just kept gon carrying and carrying and carrying out. Freddie Freeman with his first postseason home run, gives the Dodgers a one nothing lead in the sixth inning.
Speaker 1: They would load the bases.
Speaker 2: In the top of the ninth inning, Mookie Betts would draw a bases loaded walk and that would be the difference in the game as the Dodgers hold on for two to one win in Game one of the NLCS. David Vassey Dodger Talk with you until the top of the hour eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Daniels Jewlers presents the home run forecast. Go to am five to seventy. LA Sports dot Com used the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniel Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the next game. Daniels Jewelers own the dream. Blake's new tonight outstanding. Uh, maybe the best pitched game by any pitcher in the postseason this year. He goes eight shutout innings, strikes out ten, and faces the minimum number of batters because he did pick off Caleb Durbin in the third inning after he led off that inning with a single, and Blakesnell becomes the first pitcher in postseason history with multiple outings of six or more innings and one or no hits allowed in a single postseason. He joined Zach Wheeler, Max Scherzer, and Anna ball Sanchez. How about that in doing so, and those guys did it twice in their postseason careers. So Blake Snell is having the postseason the Dodgers needed, the postseason of his life, and he wants more. We had a chance to catch up with snail Zilla. Moments after the final out, Blake, how did it feel last night to deliver in such a tight game?
Speaker 25: I mean, it feels good. We got we got one win, especially here. I mean, this crowd is amazing. It was a lot of fun to pitch in front of. So I'm to be able to get this one is amazing. That team it's a tough team, so I mean, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Did really good.
Speaker 25: They're tough, they put together good at bats. They kept me up all night trying to figure out, you know, how do I want to attack, when do I want to change?
Speaker 1: Stuff like that.
Speaker 25: So very excited that we were able to get this one, and then, you know, look forward to tomorrow.
Speaker 2: When I saw you yesterday, you were already having your game phase on.
Speaker 1: It seemed like this was different for you.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 25: I mean my whole life I've dreamt at this moment and to be able to go, Hey, it was probably the best part for me because I've always the seventh was pretty special. I've always wanted to be out there for God bless America, So to be able to be out there for that was special for me. You know, I always want more for you. Did you want more for yourself? Did you ever think about pushing back on Dave taking you out there? Not trust him? He knows how bad I want it, But he's the manager of the sist team, so we're gonna trust him and keep going.
Speaker 2: Hey, the Dodgers will trust Blake Snell snail Zilla delivering stacking those chips.
Speaker 25: Come on.
Speaker 2: There, he is Blake Snell. Hey, you gotta love that. He wanted to go deeper into games. He wanted to be standing out there for God bless America. He did, and he got more eight shutout innings, and he becomes the first Dodger pitcher to pitch eight innings in a postseason game since Clayton Kershaw. The goat twenty twenty Wildcard Series Game two against these Brewers. The Dodgers clinched the series, sweeping Milwaukee.
Speaker 1: With the three nothing wins. So I'll let snail Zilla know about that.
Speaker 2: He loves to be mentioned in the same sentence as Clayton Kershaw. Eight six six nine eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Redondo Beach. Steve, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Milwaukee.
Speaker 11: How you doing, Hey, Thanks Dave for having me on. I was looking for the right word about Blake's performance tonight, and Freddy said it in his clip. It was a magnificent performance. I was even there for Kershaw when he had a fifteen strikeout game no hitter. But this is a championship series, so it's a whole other level. But I know hindsight's twenty twenty, but I feel so strongly he should have been left in to pitch the ninth. And I know we ended up on the right side of that stuff, but at this level, it seems like every decision needs to be based on what gives us the best opportunity to win. And I know where you stand, so I guess I'll now pose this question to Dave and all the naysayers out there. I wanted to take it to a philosophical level. There was an ancient sage named Helll the Elder who said, if not now, then when when does it get any more opportune to let a guy who's obviously in a zone of perfection get that complete game? Because I think he was there and there was absolutely no reason to bring Sasaki in.
Speaker 1: You're not alone. You're not alone in that line of thinking, Steve.
Speaker 2: I think in today's baseball everybody gets so caught up in the number of pitches and just thinking your way out of what is happening right in front of you and Roki Sasaki. I'm sure gave Dave Roberts the confidence to be able to take Snell out after EH shutout, But I agree with you, why not just let him get the CG right there. Things were going really smoothly for him. And the last Dodger to have a complete game was Jose Lima in the postseason, the NLDS Game three against the Cardinals. So that's how long it's been since two thousand and four, over twenty years, Steve. And look at what happened in the Blue Jays game yesterday. For whatever reason, the manager there, John Schneider, took Gosman out after six innings and seventy six pitches. That was ridiculous too. So I don't know what was going on and what Dave Roberts and Mark Pryor were seeing, but obviously they felt like eight innings was enough.
Speaker 1: But it's risky.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest, it's risky with that bullpen, no matter if it's six outs, three outs, nine outs, it's risky.
Speaker 11: Agreed. Yeah, you got to ride the rings that seems to be taken into the shore. And at that point it probably was smell no.
Speaker 2: Doubt, Steve, I'm with you. But luckily the Dodgers held on. Roki Sasaki was able to get two outs and then all of a sudden, the velocity started to dip.
Speaker 1: Not sure what was happening with him.
Speaker 2: Maybe a little self doubt because the Brewers were not chasing his pitches. They're not a team that's going to chase And maybe this is not the best match for Roki Sazaki, But I'm I think the biggest thing for Rokie is that he wasn't close to the strike zone when things started to unravel on him. And luckily for the Dodgers, a couple of breaks went their way. Jake Bowers ground rule, double the center field if that ball's in play and not over the wall, all of a sudden, it's a tie game. Bryce terrang Blake Trenton almost hit him and he got out of the way unwisely. Some old school or just baseball guys would have said, just stand in there, let it hit you.
Speaker 1: Instead, he got.
Speaker 2: Out of the way unwisely and he struck out to end the game. So those were a couple of interesting things that took place in the ninth inning to allow the Dodgers to hold on for this two to one win. Speaking up, Blake Trning, let's head downstairs to the Dodger clubhouse to hear from the guy that got his first save this postseason.
Speaker 8: Well prayer first, you know, it's just Rookie's been so great for us and to have an opportunity to pick him up. Just think God for the opportunity and trusting the talent he's given me in a in a stage like that, and then just you know, trying to execute that team's very well prepared. I feel like I made some really good pitches against Wilson Contrarass's brother William Jimi Hee. Uh yeah, and he you know, made he hit a great at bat and thankfully got trying to swing. So uh yeah, it's great win. Smell through amazing. Our offense did a great job grinding out some at bats and pushing across the runs that we needed. So just a good team win.
Speaker 26: Meeting before that strike out, after the walk, what was kind of shared with you as to what you all were looking to achieve?
Speaker 8: You know what Mark came out. I mean just kind of you know what we're looking to do, Maybe a couple of back and forth about what pitch selection so and it worked out well.
Speaker 6: So when made you get the call for like going to the mond like the goal?
Speaker 8: Ye honestly, I don't know, is uh maybe after the third batter, I just told me to be ready for contrast, time to well up.
Speaker 26: Yeah, yea, you know, a very relentless team. Pitching in the postseason is also a different level of intensity. What makes them so hard to navigate and game plan against.
Speaker 8: I think they're just well prepared, well coached. They're they're there, they know what they're good at, and they don't come outside of that lane. So just trying to keep them off balance because they're not a team that really strikes out much. I think Blake did such a great job of just pitching so differently, and his strengths right now are just amazing. So his field for the zone kept them off balance. And then being alrighty, I mean late after they've seen left the all day, I think probably helped. But they're just from top of the bottom of one of those complete teams.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Obviously, your job description is to come into high leverage situations to get that win.
Speaker 14: In that situation, describe what it felt like and what it meant to get to win.
Speaker 8: I mean, we have a you know, a goal in mind, and I just I want to do my job and I want to do it well, and I'm just grateful that it worked out.
Speaker 1: That way today.
Speaker 8: A little situation any less stressful because you've been a number four, or is that still as nerve wracking?
Speaker 13: No matter what I think.
Speaker 8: At times this year when it hasn't gone well, they can they can speed up a little bit in your mind. And I think that's the hard part as a professional is trying to, you know, bury the thoughts and focus on what you're good at. Today I had a lot of peace, and I'm grateful to God for that.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 8: I believe in the power for her. So but today's fun. I think We've been putting in a lot of work to try to get some things in a better place, uh with myself, And today I thought I executed almost every pitch. I just will William had a great bat against me. I thought he laid out some really good pitches and forced him up on that slider and they ended up working out well to the.
Speaker 2: Next that that all right. There's Blake Trining. I don't think he was alone as people saying prayers during that ninth inning. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. What I'm sure a lot of people were praying during that ninth inning. There is no doubt about it. Let's go out to Julian and Southgate. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Julian? Were you saying prayers Julian during the ninth inning?
Speaker 27: Oh yeah, I pray, I pray, I pray. I play every Dodger game, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how many times? And what inning?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 5: Three times?
Speaker 27: For three times for good luck?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, what else you got?
Speaker 27: I was want to say that, you know, the players that the players that we signed in Cree agency, the players that we treated for they're Bill for October. Shout out to Padres for giving us Blake snow too, and yeah, these players are Bill Frock Cober like. They don't they don't fan away.
Speaker 2: Hey, the Padres had a chance to extend Blake snell as last year there before he became a free agent. They decided to give that money to Jill Muskgrove. They decided to give that money to j Croninworth. They decide to give that money to you, Darvish. So in some ways you're right, Julian. They let him get away, and that two years later he's a Dodger, and he's a Dodger for four or five more years after this season. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 1: Let's go out to Santa Monica.
Speaker 2: Greg, you're on Dodger Talk Live from American Family Field.
Speaker 6: Hey, I just wanted to shout out the pickoff play. That sent a huge message. Honestly, Snow was so good tonight you probably didn't even need it. He probably would have gotten the next guy, but it.
Speaker 1: Sends a message.
Speaker 6: You know, the Brewers are advertised as kind of scrappy, small ball. They'll kind of catch you off your guard. But the Dodgers their experienced. They not only have the talent and the raw horsepower, but they also have the poise and the experience, and you're not gonna throw them off. If you're gonna get the Dodgers, you gotta play well.
Speaker 2: Hey, Greg, I agree with you, and that goes back to the poison that Blake Snell had on the mound all night long. He never was rattled, and I agree with you, that was huge to pick off Chad Durbin. By the way, that's the second straight start Blake Snell has picked off a runner. Remember he picked off Brandon Marsh trying to steal in Game two of the NLDS, and then he picks off Durbin to face the minimum number of batters through eighth shutout innings.
Speaker 1: So that was huge.
Speaker 2: And like I said, that fourth inning, after things went sideways for the Dodgers on that wild play to end the top of the fourth inning, the momentum really could have turned into a tidal wave in the bottom half, but Blake went back out there, established his fastball, did not blink, struck out the first two batters, and you know, the momentum was gone. So I believe what Blake Snell did tonight was huge. But just his calmness and his poise, I think set the tone for the entire game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, And you know that's going to have a lasting effect. Blake Snow won't be on the mount tomorrow, but you know, maybe the runners next game are going to be thinking twice before they seal again because the Doughters, you know, they know what they're trying to do.
Speaker 2: Hey, the biggest thing, Greg is they didn't have any base runners to try to steal outside of Durban tonight so until the ninth inning. So that's a good way to control the running game. Don't let them on the field, don't let them on the bases. Thanks for the phone called, Greg, appreciate it, and look tomorrow night. I find it hard to believe that Yoshi Yamamoto is going to have two back to back poor starts. It's coming off one of his poorest starts in over a month against the Phillies in Game three. I just don't see that happening again tomorrow. So the Brewers have got their hands full again against one of the best pitchers, maybe the runner up to Paul Skeins and the Cy Young race. So it doesn't get any easier for Milwaukee moving forward. Let's go out to long be Tomah, Doug Crecoryan, Bob, you're on dodgery talk.
Speaker 1: How you doing, Bob?
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm doing great? How about yourself?
Speaker 6: David?
Speaker 2: Hey, David, start during the game or during the ninth I'm sorry, what you just diving in?
Speaker 1: Bob? You don't want to talk? Huh? You diving right in? Gohead, dive right in, Bob.
Speaker 3: I'm so dexcided.
Speaker 5: Okay, David, I'll tell you why.
Speaker 3: Because a lot of people don't know, like the Phillies and now Milwaukee, they giving the note they see o Tani up there. Let's walk on, Connie but they messing with the wrong guy because they've got Mookie Best, one of the best eyes in baseball. Man be for the last two or three games, what he's been winning by walks, you know. So my point is this, they should keep Mookie Best hitting number two, which I'm sure they will because he has so much great discipline. If you get some of the other guys like you know, maybe Pias or whatever, he's a good, great player, but they be swinging. But this guy has a beautiful eye, and the other teams that's all they want to do. Okay, Old Tani was Old Tana get the Mookie?
Speaker 18: What do you think about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Pat Murphy kind of set the tone for the rest of the series. If first base is open and there's a right handed pitcher on the mound, he may be holding up the four fingers for Otani and Mookie Betts has made opposing managers pay for that, going back to last year when Ron Washington did it, and now in back to back games he has forced in a pivotal run by not chasing. So I'm with you, Bob, talk about risky. That's risky with the way Mookie Betts is swinging the bat these days. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Brewers in Game one of the NLCS two to one the final score. Let's take a couple of more calls before we say good night. Mark and Huntington Beach. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Milwaukee.
Speaker 5: Hi, Mark, Hey David, Hey David.
Speaker 23: I was watching the game at my favorite sports barn, Honeying Beach is called my place, Bar and Girl. And after that play in the fourth, I mean, they had a screen up on the TV showing where the oscar had actually started running in and then went back to tag like, yeah, I thought the ball was going to get by, And it's like, well, he should have just stayed there. Why would he start running in thinking that he wasn't going to catch it, you know? But then the other fatal thing. I thought that no one told him he slid into home. He didn't know what was a force play. I think if he had just run like hell, he would have beat the throw.
Speaker 18: In just because you know, you slowed down.
Speaker 23: When he hit a slide compared to running over the base.
Speaker 5: What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually that's what Haesan Kim told Dodger bench coach Bob Garrin the reason why he didn't slide to score the winning run in Game four the NLDS is because of what you just said. He knew it was a force play, so he didn't want to slow down and ran through home plate. I'm a big advocate of sliding at home plate mark because it's a slippery it's the slipperiest bass or plate or surface out there. So I'm a fan of sliding feet first at home But the biggest mistake is what you said. When he had to go back to third base, that's when things really went sideways, and that's where that's where he got caught. He should have been on the bag ready to tag when it's you know, it's a not a no doubter to straightaway center field, and I can guarantee you won't see that happen again.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I hope not. But you know, I'll give him a little defense. He probably thought the ball was caught. He probably didn't see it hit the wall not knowing it was in play, and he actually thought he actually caught it, you know, instead of it bobbling it.
Speaker 5: So I'll gi him a little defense either way.
Speaker 2: You still tag either way, You're still on the bag. Even if he caught it clean. Let's say he caught it clean, he's got to do what you said, Mark, he's got to be on the bag ready to tag. But that was not a catch, as we know by the rules and what we saw earlier this season.
Speaker 23: Yeah, okay, well better than tomorrow, Lego Dodgers.
Speaker 1: All right, Mark, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, either way, Tae Oscar Hernandez needed to be on the third base bag ready to tag.
Speaker 5: Up.
Speaker 2: Turned out the ball was in play after the ball came out of Frelick's glove and hit the wall. Now, if it hits the wall and goes over the wall, it's a grand slam that it's in play. So just think about it that way. If Frelick catches the ball, it bounces out of his glove and goes over the wall, is it a catch. No, it's a home run. It's a grand slam for Max Munsey, same idea, except this time it bounced into play and he was able to catch it on the Kreum eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to j and ply at Delray. I bet they don't teach that at West Hills Baseball.
Speaker 24: Hello there, David, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great? Were you a Blake Snell, Dowd or Jay? Are you calling to apologize?
Speaker 24: Oh? Guess what I am. I am not calling to apologize because when I heard we got Blake Snell, I was thinking, isn't it isn't it kind of cheating? I mean, we win the championship and then we get that guy, you know the Lakers, Remember they win a champion and then they got James Worthy and I thought, that's not how it's supposed to work. So it was like that. I do have a question, was do you know evil there? Or was somebody shouldn't the third base coach have been yelling at Taoskar no go go go?
Speaker 1: He was?
Speaker 26: He was, oh, he was.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean Taosky, you know.
Speaker 2: And when that happens, Jay, the game gets really fast on you. And they got really fast on will Smith, they got really fast on ta Oscar Hernandez, and uh, I don't know what happened there, but uh yeah, do you know? Ebel was shown on the broadcast that he was telling Taoscar go go go like they used to chant for morey Willis at the Coliseum, Go Go Go, Thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 12: Jay.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow the Dodgers Game two of the NLCS here in Milwaukee before Game three back at Dodgers Stadium on Thursday. The Dodgers have an opportunity to come back home up to zero against the Brewers.
Speaker 1: Yamamotos on the mound.
Speaker 2: I don't see him, like I said, having back to back subpar starts, going up against Freddy Peralta, who the Dodgers saw earlier this year and scored four runs off of him. Like I said, you got to play the games. The Brewers are a tough team. They don't make mistakes. They are going to try to get on base and create havoc and cause havoc. But the Dodgers are in a good spot in a good matchup against right hander Freddy Peralta.
Speaker 1: Marongo Casino.
Speaker 2: Dodgers on Deck begins at four o'clock tomorrow with first pitch at five oh eight with Rick Monday and Stephen Nelson on the call from American Family Field in Milwaukee, and the Dodgers are in a great spot to come back home up two to oh in a best of seven series and look the Dodgers. The Dodgers are are feeling pretty good. And how about this Tonight's win in Game one of the NLCS not only gave the Dodgers a one tozero lead in the series, but it's the first time the Dodgers beat the Brewers this season, first time in seven games. But like we talked about leading up to this game, those six games in July was a completely different Dodger team. Blake Snell wasn't even pitching at that point. Key k was out months he was out, Mookie Betts was still in the middle of a horrible slump in the first three months of the season. So this is a completely different Dodger team than what the Brewers saw in July, and they're gonna get more of it tomorrow night here in Milwaukee. That'll do it for us tonight. Thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbank Studios, Thanks to dwayn McDon ronald out here at American Family Field in Milwaukee, and thanks to you for listening and calling in.
Speaker 1: Without you, there is no show.
Speaker 2: And this is the number one undisputed home for the Dodgers, and where you come talk Dodgers Am five to seventy LA Sports. In case you missed our pregame conversation with Will Smith or any of this show, you could find it on the iHeartRadio app. Once again. The final score from Milwaukee. The Dodgers win Game one of the NLCS.
Speaker 1: Two to one over the Brewers. We'll talk to you tomorrow. Be safe, see you