Speaker 1: An exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. It's Game two of the NLDS. Snell Zilla Day, Blake Snell on the mound for the Dodgers, and we're joined right now by Dodgers third base coach dono Ebel. Dino. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it always, Dave, thanks for having me on talking baseball.
Speaker 1: You've been through a lot of postseason games, You've been in a lot of hostile environments. What was Game one like and what do you expect tonight in Game two?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh, this was definitely uh, you know, loud kraut, you know it for unfortunately for them, we uh we heard some crickets there when we scored two by Kik and then you know, Tail dropping the big bomb to right center. But yeah, our guys are used to it. I think it plays up. Uh guys, you know, elite athletes and pro players and you know they just when the lights are brighter, they come to play, and our guys are ready for it. Like you said, with our division with San Diego and the Giants, it's loud always and then our crowd is super loud. So it was a great win. We stole the win from him. I felt we came back late and got it. But game two, we're ready for him. So our guys had a great workout yesterday and they're here prepared today. So I think it's gonna be a good night for the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Before we look too far ahead tonight, let's go back to Game one. Is maybe the most overlooked at bat. Freddie Freeman drawing that two out walk against Sanchez to set up key K's big hit.
Speaker 2: Huge. That's the kind of stuff that, especially late in the game, you know, pitchers maybe struggling with command, and Freddie draws that big, big walk and then key K mister October for me, he laid into one down the line. So yes, at bats like that, we'll take the starter out of a game in which key K got a good pitch to drive down the line and he did.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been around a player like Keith k Hernandez who is a role player during the regular season and then turns into mister October.
Speaker 2: Never This is this guy. And I said it when I was with the Angels and you guys went to Chicago and he hit the three home runs and I was watching it on TV. I said, for some reason, this guy shows up when the you know, the lights are bright. And now being with him over the years and winning two World Series with him, he's just a different player. Some guy's mindsets or he's relaxed, he's confident. He's been in this situation very very looking for the opportunity to cash in when when the game is on the line and he delivers. So yes, it's Uh. He's so important to us in the playoffs and through the regular season, but he just different player during the playoffs.
Speaker 1: The best third base coach in baseball, Dino Ebel, is joining us before Game two of the NLDS Dodgers versus Phillies, and tonight the Phillies do not have their stars center fielder Harrison Bader. How much does that change things for you at the third base coaching box.
Speaker 2: Well, it changes a lot because he's one of their guys that can cover some ground out in center field. Marsh is out there tonight, which you know, he he's played center before. He knows this park probably better than Bader, but he makes a huge difference for us on the on the offensive end. Uh, Bater's arms a little bit better than Marsh's he probably covers a little bit more ground. So they got Nick and right, and they got Auto Camp in left field. So you know, I'm looking to you know, I know their weaknesses, i know their pluses, and I'm looking to score as many runs as we can off their defense.
Speaker 1: You know, Blake Snell has done really well against this lineup in the past, and even as recently as last month at Dodgers Stadium. When a pitcher has that type of dominance against those group of hitters, what do they fight against trying to change too much? Does he stick to his strengths? What's the chess match there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said it, strengths. You know, Blake has been in big games before. He knows this lineup. The other night we were talking down here at the end of the bench. He's eyeing all the hitters on what they were missing, what they were hitting. So he looked right at me, he said, wait, wait until Monday night, Dino, and I said, you know, I got the chills when he told me that. He said, I'm ready for him. So again, big players, big time guys that show up when the lights are bright. He's one of those pitchers that tonight's going to be his night.
Speaker 1: It feels like in this environment, on this stage, Dino, whether it's Blake Snell or any other player, you have to embrace it and not run away from it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. You know, there's a different look on players as faces over the years I've been in this game, including the minor leagues to the big leagues, and sometimes you might see a good look, you know, sometimes you might see a look that you kind of don't like. But there's not too many of those guys at the major league level, especially on this team. Because the veteran players, the young guys playing in front of our home crowd every night expected to win championships. That plays a big part of it. So the other night, when this crowd was on its feet from yeah any one to the last standing there, it didn't bother or face anybody, including our young guys, which that's kind of stuff. As a coach, I look at and see what kind of look they have it on her face, and it's a confident look and ready to get the opportunity to perform on the field.
Speaker 1: Hey, the game never gets too fast on DINOI he has the presence and poise in that third base coaching box and also directing traffic in the Dodgers outfield. Thanks a lot for the time. The Dodgers are lucky to have you, especially in the postseason.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dave, appreciate it, and uh, let's go Dodgers tonight.