Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Well, today's a very special day in Major League Baseball as we commemorate Lou Carrig day. Obviously, Lou Garrick died of ALS, and Major League Baseball still shines a light on that to try to find a cure for that horrible disease. And a man that carries that with him each and every day because on his glove he has the word k ALS and that is Dodger starter. Emt She and Emmett. Thanks a lot for the.
Speaker 1: Time, Hey, David, Yeah, no problem.
Speaker 2: This is something that I became more aware of because Major League Baseball statistician Sarah Langs has ALS and she always on your start day posts a picture of your glove. Why is ALS near and dear to you?
Speaker 1: Yes, Sarah's awesome. She's a great, great advocate. So yeah, for me ALS, I didn't know much about it until I got to Boston College. And then you know, Pete Frady's who was a BC baseball player, got ALS and he was around when I was there, So everyone had KLS on their gloves. And the Frate's family was really close to the program and and Yeah, Unfortunately we lost Pete a few years ago, but yeah, it's it's stuck with me since then, and I just wanted to keep it going into Pro Bowl.
Speaker 2: That name sounds familiar with all of us because I believe Pete was involved in the ice bucket challenge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he was. Actually him and one other person or maybe just him, started the ice Puget challenge, So that was how you know, all that started and it went viral. So he was he was also you know, an amazing advocate for you know, ALS research and trying to find a cure. So yeah, he's he's the best.
Speaker 2: So when you have k Als on your glove, it's not just for Pete, it's for everybody that suffers from the ALS disease. Do you realize how much that means to those that do have ALS?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I'm just grateful to have a platform and to be able to, you know, spread a message like that. I think it's it's cool to to be able to do that. And yeah, I think we have a responsibility as as you know, major League baseball players who try to do some good and for me, that's that's you know, trying to spread awareness by als.
Speaker 2: Can you describe the family of Boston College, because doing this seems like it is a close knit family.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I mean I'm still, you know, in touch with all the guys that were in my class. We text every day. We're talking about the final series right now, and it's like, you know, I know a lot of schools, it's not like that. Still keep in touch with all the coaches, and yeah, it was a family for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, she and is our guest on Lou Garrig Day. Since you did pitch in College Baseball US in LA are a little shook that the number one team UCLA got knocked out before even able to leave Jackie Robinson Stadium. How much did you pay attention to that? How much will you pay attention to the College World Series?
Speaker 1: I was a little more focused on BC Series. They unfortunately lost to Liberty to get knocked out the other day, But yeah, it was it was a great team this year, so it was exciting to watch. But yeah, the u C. I watched a couple of the UCLA games. I think they were during our game, so I didn't get to see it, but I saw the highlights and yeah, uh they were they were really good teams. So that's pretty surprising.
Speaker 2: Hey have it. You're coming off your best start of the season to a lot of us. Do you feel the same way? Was that the best that you felt on the mount? Uh?
Speaker 1: I think delivery mechanics wise is definitely the best I felt. You know, I think execution wasn't as good as some other starts, but I got away with it because the stuff was up a little bit. But yeah, just trying to put it all together and and stay consistent with the delivery and you know, hopefully the execution follows.
Speaker 2: That must have meant a lot to you to be able to be trusted to go out for that seventh inning.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, it means a lot that that doc had that trust in me, and yeah, I'm just trying to earn more trust like that. But yeah, it was It was cool to get to do that.
Speaker 2: Now earlier today, the day after your start, you go out to the bullpen without a base ball. They call that some dry work. Is that something that you do after every start? Uh?
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's it's you know, here and there. It depends on, uh, you know, how many days in the week I have. Sometimes I'll throw the day after I start. If you know, five days between starts. If if I have six like this time, which I think it is, I'll, you know, probably won't pick up a baseball, go throw some plyo balls around and just try to you know, fiel it out with the delivery.
Speaker 2: Are you trying to keep the feel of yesterday?
Speaker 1: Yeah? For sure, I mean, uh yeah, it felt felt good out there. I was able to keep the vlow later and the start, which you know, I was looking forward fast to you. So yeah, it's felt good.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go. Justin Robleski has been phenomenal for you guys. Today he's throwing a bullpen session. Has he taught the rest of the starters something about attacking the strike zone to stay in the game like you did yesterday?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's been incredibly efficient this year, which I think we're all trying to do. Yeah, he's he's great at getting soft contact and and it's it's, you know, something we can all learn from. For sure, every time we watch watch him pitch and staying on the on the attack, whether you know, no matter what happens during the start, I think it's that's something we're all trying to do.
Speaker 2: Do you have a laptop program like he does after every start.
Speaker 1: No, I don't, I don't, I just I mainly just watch videos of the hitters. But yeah, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Emmitt, thanks for the time. And I think everybody that knows you knows how big of a heart you have and how much you think of everybody else. And today on Luke Gerrig Day, it does mean a lot for us to shine a light on the big heart that you have for those that do have als, and obviously keeping the spirit of the Boston College family alive every day. So thank you for the time.
Speaker 1: Thanks David, appreciate it, appreciate the opportunity to talk about it.