Speaker 1: And welcome back for the final hour of today's show. He is floating by gentlemen. I'm here with John Butcher from Madison treecair and Landscape h Scot and my boss Steve Foltz from the Cincinni Zoo and Botanical Gardens. And now we are joined by Charlie Frank from the Cincinnati Reds Community Fund.
Speaker 2: Hi, Scott, John, Steve, how are we doing?
Speaker 1: Guys? Great? Great, good to have you here. Uh, you know the Reds Fund. First of all, you guys do great work. We'll get to that in a minute, but I want to go back and find out, like how it started, how long ago? Is it unique among the Major League Baseball teams to have a fund like this?
Speaker 2: You know, back in the early part of the century, just about every team and all the four major North American sports were rebuilding their arenas, and the vast majority of those projects were publicly funded. So that's a time where most of the teams went from maybe just having a small community relations arm to having a foundation. Just about every team and pro sports now does have some public five oh one C three effort. And you know what really jumped ours to light speed with the Reds. We started in two thousand and one, and when the Castellini ownership group came in in two thousand and six, they really supercharged it.
Speaker 1: They believe in.
Speaker 2: Projects like the one we're going to be talking about that have a connection to baseball and softball, but a much broader community focus. And I'll tell you what they've They've done everything they've promised out in the community they said they would do. I mean, we reads built our youth academy and the Roselawn neighborhood back in twenty fourteen. Can't believe it's been open twelve years now. But so many field renovation projects, but now seventeen of these community makeovers and these are the jewels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're so cool and that commitment from the top is so foundational, so important, and the Castelinie, as you said, have been so committed to this and they really beautiful to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Scott, they really have. I mean a lot of folks don't know. They spent ten years as limited partners with the Saint Louis Cardinals before they had the opportunity to purchase the Reds, and before that they were involved with the Texas Rangers when they were owned by George W. Bush, and they were involved with the Baltimore Oriols, so they really had an idea of what this was about, not just in terms of baseball, but what it means to the community. And you know, the Castellini family and the Williams family and our shareholders that make up our ownership team, they are locally focused and they really see the importance of what the Reds can do, what that brand means to this not market, but to this region. It can really help convene partners, it can help shine a light on good work, and they've been all about that. I've been with the team. This is my twenty third year, so I was there a couple of years before they arrived, and I can tell you that they really have backed up their promises when they arrived. They have opened up every door in the community in a way that I don't think most fans could even understand and appreciate it. Well, I'll understand, certainly, but it may not appreciate fully.
Speaker 1: What is some of the other funding that supports the community fund?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, we are budget's about three million a year and about a third of that comes from you know, ballpark revenue. We have our fifth fifty Raffle.
Speaker 1: I've never won it.
Speaker 2: I know people that have won it multiple times. I'll try to get some notes from them. It's promise, it's all on the up and up. It's all digital and legal. But yeah, it So that's a big one for us, as it is for most teams around the league. It's all governed by by state laws, so some teams.
Speaker 1: Can't do it.
Speaker 2: But we we also are like any you know, five oh one c three. We're out there, you know, pounding the pavement, knocking on doors, building relationships, finding people that that have that Reds connection, but also really believe in the work that we're doing. We have about a half a dozen major events every year, from the opening day block party to the Red Legs Run, to our our recent telethon with you know, in partnership with panc Bank, and we've got our Marty Brunheman Golf event coming up in September, which is a big annual fundraiser. Of course Redsfest, which includes a poker tournament. So we have a lot of traditional foundation fundraising, but we also you mentioned top down, Scott. I mean, we get incredible support from our ownership, from our players, every single Reds player is either donating to the fund this year or has pledged money based on a statistical category like one hundred dollars for every save or strikeout, how many starts they get, Yeah, something like that. Yeah, I mean TJ. Friedel gives us money for every bunt hit, you know, stuff like that, some cool stuff. So our players are really engaged. It really is top down support.
Speaker 1: You know, before the horticulture aspect came in, tell me about what would a typical community Reds Fund project look like.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, we launched what we called the home Field Makeover, you know, sort of similar to the TV show at the time, and we were renovating ball fields and when P and G came to us to say, hey, let's you know, we do a big annual volunteer effort with our marketing teams from all over the city, you know, Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky. In twenty ten, we started in Winton Hills and we had just built Brandon Phillips Field down behind the old Cape High School which is now the Jacob Center. It's part of CPS's what Steve sixty seven Green Spaces that they control here and operate and then we found the next year that hey, you know, going indoor and outdoor. We went to North College Hill in twenty eleven and realized that doing the indoor work was really important too, because if you're coordinating several hundred volunteers, it's not necessarily a possibility to have a rain.
Speaker 1: Date, right.
Speaker 2: So and the more people that we were able to, you know, to mobilize, the more work we could do. In North College Hill that you're we were building a new baseball field on a site that had been an elementary school that had just been demolished, and then the school superintendent said, hey, you know there's another vacant elementary school. We were not going to knock that one down. You know, our goal is to turn this one into a community center. And we worked with P and G and deployed about another one hundred volunteers and we painted and we mulched, and you know, the police department moved in there, and we thought, wow, those things could be pretty cool. We went to Shivat in twenty twelve and which was a great project, but then finally went inside city limits in twenty thirteen, and that's when Steve and Mark Fisher and Thane Maynard and the team from the zoo.
Speaker 1: Zoo breaths.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They were like, hey, you're in our backyard. We were working at Gabriel's Place over on Running Road and at the Hirsch Recreation Center, and that's when we were able to connect with children's and with the zoo and Potanical Garden because again we were nearby.
Speaker 1: And I remember.
Speaker 2: Mark Fisher telling me afterwards, I'm like, man, I sure hope this isn't a one and done. He goes, we're the Cincinnati Zoo, Yeah, or not the Avondale's who don't worry. We'll you know, we'll stick around. And boy have they stuck around, so, you know, to answer your question, Scott started with ball fields. We weren't, you know, we weren't creative enough, smart enough. I wasn't to kind of see this thing in three D. But boy, Mark and Steve and the Zoo were able to see it, and the way they brought Gabriel's Place to life changed this project and really changed the Community Fund forever.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about that when we come back. We need to take a break. So Charlie Frank with us from the Reds Community Fund, Steve and John, we'll be back in just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 3: Hey Gary, someone here from my friends at Ruta Ruter Plumbing and Water clean Up. Do you have a few plumbing issues around the house you've been mean to fix, Like drippy faucet, slowed drains, maybe even a garbage disposal that hums more than it actually works. When it comes to plumbing, those little annoyances can turn into big problems if you let them go for too long. Rota Ruters license and experienced plumbers can fix any size plumbing problem, so give them a call. It's one eight hundred get roto or schedule an appointment at rotorrouter dot com. Wet and Forget Outdoor Spaces is made for outdoor living areas. It's designed to clean over time with no constant effort. Just spray it on and let's do its work. It's that easy. It cleans outdoor stains caused by mold, mildew, algae, and moss. Ideal for patios, sidewalks, decks, citing patio furniture and outdoor fabric. Weting Forget is always bleach free, no scrubbing, no rinsing, and you get up to fifteen hundred square feet of coverage, wet and forget outdoor spaces. The one step application available at Home Depot walmartin Myers Save a life. Start with the air in your home. Hey Gary Salvin here. If your place smells, there's a reason, and it affects how you feel and breathe. Musty basements, pet accidents, even others behind walls, they don't go away, and covering them up, well, that doesn't fix anything. Odor Exit eliminates odors at the source, so they're gone, not mass, no perfumes, no gimmicks, just a safe, natural way to fix the problem. Stop spraying and praying. Fix it right the first time. Odor Exit dot com order direct because one use should be enough. This summer clean smarter with Jaws the just add water system. Just fill the bottle with water, insert a refill pod, and you're ready to clean. Jaws concentrate refill pods instantly turn water into a powerful cleaner, pre measured for the perfect mix. Jaws streak free formulas, tackle glass kitchens, bathrooms, granite floors, and more, delivering great results without harsh fume. Did I mention as my favorite glass cleaner. Jaws better at cleaning, better for you. Visit jaws cleans dot com. That's jawscleans dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. Let's garden with Scott Berlin. I'm Scott. I'm here with Jim and John No, John and Steve and Charlie Frank, the executive director of the Reds Community Fund, and we're talking about the community makeovers that you've done for seventeen years. Yeahen, wow, And and you just had what was it two weeks ago? Three weeks ago, a really amazing project and Steve was very instrumental in helping you put together the horticultural aspect of that. And I want to turn you guys loose to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, so it was just two weeks ago, Thursday, July twenty third, we were in Winton Hills wrapping up what really is about it. It's a year long project to identify the next neighborhood project, to get to know the neighborhood leaders, which takes time. I mean that doesn't you know, can't just walk in and get to know a neighborhood in one sitting, and and then to come up with the scope of work and the budget. I mean, it's it's really kind of a very precise exercise but when you have partners like the Zoo and Botanical Garden, p and G Children's, Duke Energy, Kroger Ge, it's you know, it's amazing the talent and you know, this iconic roster of Greater Cincinnati, you know, community leaders that you have at the table. It's really exciting to see, you know, what can get done. And we got to keep learning the neighborhood. It's not like you just all right, well here's what we do. And you know, you can't just walk into Winon Hills and say well, we're going to work in your school and we're going to build this behind your community center. And you got to figure out where the need is, what the one is, what the kids want, what the leadership at the schools I mean, And that's to me the most rewarding piece of it. And when you talk about transformational change, that's a big word, you know, and who's the side of something is transformational? But you know what Steve and his horticulture team are able to do with these projects. And this year, you know, Steve did something that hasn't been done anywhere locally, nationally, anywhere. He literally brought in over one hundred trees and a vision for this Tree School that he's got to describe because to see the before and after this thing, I mean, it's indescribable what it means, not only what it will mean for the kids. And the staff of the school was working with him to kind of share their thoughts and vision and because once you build it, you've got to maintain it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: But it's extraordinary. And what I love about what Steve and his team have done, starting with the first urban learning garden that they created in a basically an unused acre of land behind Rockdale Academy, not even a half a mile from the Zoo, they you know, you've not only created something that's extraordinary for education, you've created something for the neighborhood that is literally a jewel that's raising property values because of the beauty and the thoughtfulness behind it and the effort that the Zoo continues to put into it to maintain it.
Speaker 1: So, Steve, when they've decided on a location and they come to you and say, come look at the site first of all, before we get into the Tree School, which I really want to do. What's the process your process for looking at the site and imagining what is possible there.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's interesting, we didn't come to the site. The site came to us Obiliyah on the Wintin Hills Community Council. We actually met with him two years ago and he asked us for our opinion on something and he had a vision of what he wanted to do in the wind Hills community. And you know, that's what's hearted all of it. And so it's funny the people say, you know, how do you pick these It's like sometimes they pick us and and if they're ready, and if they're you know, if they're motivated, and you know that good things can happen. And so when we did this tree school at Winton Hills. You know, of course also in st public schools, they have a lot of grass, not a lot of trees. And especially in these urban communities, you know, planting trees with all the asthma and all the problems that people have with pollution and particulate matter, planting trees is one of the easiest things to do for the health and wellness of a community. And one of the things that you know, we wanted to do is do something unique, not just plant trees. We wanted to make one of those typical what we call unique botanical experiences, and so we selected what we call tree school. You know, sometimes you have outdoor classrooms with a you know, you know, a classroom type setting with trees around. We're like, well, you know, we'll do a tree school. So we did like twelve outdoor rooms for the kids.
Speaker 1: Which follow a path.
Speaker 4: Yeah, follow a path there's and it's interesting because that school yard connects the community from one side to the other. And you know, so you've got the community folks, you know, they're they're walking through this what was a full sun just all you had to do is all they do is mow it. No production, no productivity, no one visited. And now they've got immediate shade. They've got you know, Spring Grove Cemetery helped us with these tree stumps where the kids can sit and learn, and put in some nice boulders in there for seating.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And you know, as you walk through the site, you run into the pawpar room or or the elm room, or run into the sugar maple room. So these rooms are the trees that are surrounding each room and that way the kids, you know K through six, they'll be able to they'll know what a sugar maple is, explains what the tree is signage. So it's educational. It's the Some of the teachers said, well, you know, I teach Pap Paul, and I teach you know, I teach about hickory. So we got some hickory's in. And so a lot of this is inspired by the teachers, the principal, the community leaders. It's not something that we do. It's the site dictates and the people dictate the interesting things that we can do. But this is truly a unique thing, and I think we've got some more ideas coming next year.
Speaker 1: Tantalizing. You know, it's such a cool thing when you go to these things and you know it's all built around this single day. Of course, a lot of preparation goes into it ahead of time, a lot of preparation, but it's all focused on this one day. And how many volunteers show.
Speaker 2: Up, well, typically, you know, around four to five hundred. This year there was another one hundred that came through a partnership with Cincinnati Metropolitan Housing Authority, which was one of the really unique wrinkles. To me, the I mean, all of it's great work. What's happening at the Community Center, which is going to be dedicated at ten am this morning on winn Sd Avenue. All the changes inside and out at Winton Hills Academy, the new public entry to their health center, the murals, the new playground outside the cafeteria, all the beautiful work that was done at the Witten Hills Recreation Center. But it's hard not to think of the Tree School and then the new basketball court down at Winton Terrace which was rebuilt and then a mural painted on it by local artists Brent Billingsley, which is extraordinary. And as we were getting closer to that service date on July twenty third, you could feel the energy and the community people were outside. I mean this basketball court. Steve and I were down there about a month and a half ago or so walking around with the Housing Authority, and you know, there was nothing on it. It was cracked, there were weeds, there was a mattress on it. I mean, they're just it wasn't in use. And now it's not only been you know, repaved and rebuilt, but it's got this mural and Brent, you know, brought in kids to help paint it from the neighborhood. He you know, incorporated a lot of win and terrace history. It's one of the oldest housing communities of its type in the country kind of you know, the pride in place is such an important theme of all this. So, you know, the housing authority and the tree gardener just two extraordinary layers of this project.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when we come back, I'd like to explore a little bit more about you know, what the trees, what Rockdale Garden, what it all has meant for the community. And you know, if you have any stories to share with you know, groups or people who were transformed by this work, I'd love to hear them. Uh, you are listening to Let's Garden with Scott Berlin. I'm here with John Butcher, Steve Foltz, and Charlie Frank from Cinceni Read's Community Fund. We'll be back to carry on this discussion in just a few minutes.
Speaker 3: Imagine getting in a hot, stuffy car in the summer.
Speaker 1: You know how it cools off.
Speaker 3: Much faster when you roll the windows down first to get the hot air out. Well, that's exactly how an easy breathed basement ventilation system works, removing all the musty damp stagnant air and replacing it with fresher, cleaner, dryer air. And right now you'll receive two EU ministats with every Easy Breath purchase, plus get two hundred and fifty dollars off during the month of August. Visit letter E letter z breed dot com or call eight sixty six eight two two seventy three twenty eight. You've got to try the new spread rock Walgrantite coating from dish Coating. Bring the beauty of real speckled grantite to walls inside and outside your home. Create stunning accent walls in your family room, hallway, refresher, bathroom, or upgrade exterior columns, foundation walls, even sheds. Spread rock Wal Granite Coating is durable, easy to apply, and available on nine beautiful colors. Best of all, just sixty eight dollars a gallon at dish codings dot com shipping free. Transform your walls today with spread rock Walgranite Coating.
Speaker 1: And welcome back here again with John Butcher from Madisonry Care and Landscape, Steve Folds from Cincinnati Zoo and Potanical Gardens, and Charlie Frank from the Red's Community Makeover or Red's Community Fund fund. There, Okay, there we go. During the break, Charlie brought this up. But Steve, you know, our team is really committed to this and put in some long hours and a lot of good work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I tell you we've got the best horticulture team in the country, hands down. You know. Jerome Stanger, Dave Padour, he's one of our heroes in horticulture. He's he's so quiet, he does all our landscape and design. He's he's got the yeah and you know what I mean, Yeah, absolutely a lot of people. I mean he you know, six five and you know, but the mighty.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you wouldn't think that he's an artist, but he is mildest guy.
Speaker 4: But he can take rock work and trees and you know that needs to be moved over like six inches right, and he is dead on. But he is what makes makes our garden go with the zoo. I don't know what I'd do without him.
Speaker 1: And yeah, a whole bunch of our team is out there in the week before so and all of us are out there on the day of, which is always cool to see.
Speaker 2: Scott I got it. Also Gary Gilbert, Yes, you know he was he's worked with the Community Fund from you know before he's even with the Zoo.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when he was with HGC, he he helped us build the beautiful Miracle League Field all the Dunham Recreation Complex over on the west side. And Gary has become you know, a leader with this project along with Miranda Record and Dean Violetta, you know, the the group that represents the Zoo not only some of the most talented people I've ever had the privilege of working with, but absolutely some of the finest people.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's a privilege.
Speaker 2: I don't know who to give the credit to, you know, Thane and Dave and Mark. Mark Fisher obviously has been a big piece of this. Steve's one of the most humble people you'll ever meet. I mean yeah, I mean Gary tells me, Look, there's nobody that has his breadth of knowledge and skill, he said, not just regionally, we're talking this is one of the top horticulture people you'll you'll meet and also just one of the one of the best people.
Speaker 1: So you wanted to talk a little bit about the Bond Hill project, which was what two years ago, years.
Speaker 2: Ago yeah, that was twenty twenty four. Yeah, I mean you said before the break Scot you know some of the memories that we have of you know, impacting the community and kind of hearing that impact, seeing it, healing it. And you know the project that culminated in twenty twenty one in Avondale with the at behind Rockdale Academy with the first urban learning garden. You know, that was one of those moments just because that's a world class, beautiful site that has everything. I mean, the zoo hired a full time guy in Carlos to come and manage it. That speaks to their level of commitment well and what that entire community. They were just an awe of what had been built behind the school. But you know, twenty twenty four in bond Hill, you know, each one of these projects just has a little bit of magic to them. And Steve said, they they find us more than we find them. And the group that found us ahead of that project was the leadership at the Xavier Jesuit Academy over on California Avenue off Riding Road, and they were in the process and they were one of three Jesuit schools in the city there. You know, Xavier University in Saint Xavier High School being the others, and they had this vision they'll they'll be entering their third year. I just bumped into Kyle Chandler, their principal. They're going to be up to eighty kids this year in five different age groups. Being a part of that from the ground level. And then Principal Chandler brought Steve and Gary and some of the folks myself back during that first school year and they took us out to the learning garden and the kids were telling us how much time they spend out there, how much they've learned, how they you know, they they're all weeding out there and everything. I think that Steve had envisioned this being not just a source of beauty and inspiration, but one that is everyday educational. Was exceeding that goal, and you know, part of that project. What made bond Hill also so unique was right across the street from Zavior Jesuit is the Bondhill Academy, which is Cincinnati Public K through six, and then behind that building is the RC's Bondhill Community Center, and then the Church of the Resurrection, which shared the parking lot with the Jesuit school also ran a food shelf out of there every week. And then, oh, by the way, there's a park that had basically sort of been forgotten, and Steve helped bring that back to life. When we put a walking trail in. He said, you know, it needs real shade. And the zoo came in and this wasn't part of the original plan, but they put sixty trees around that walking path and before we were even a day or two away to the official ribbon cut, there were people out there enjoying the park, walking their dogs, thanking us. Yeah, a new ball field, there was a big piece of that. And then the day after usually there's not a day after because everyone's pretty drained because we typically try to schedule the hottest, humid, most humid day of the time.
Speaker 1: You're very successful. Well, we got very lucky this year.
Speaker 2: But you know, then we had Reds players Brent Suiter and Will Benson come out and work with Keipsince and Beautiful to bring the community garden back to life. And that thing needed some help, and Steve and Dave and Jerome and the team came out in the rain and they got that one done too. It wouldn't have gotten down the way it looks now without them, and that's just the type of partners they are. They just showed up. But I gotta tell you this too. I mean, the beautiful playground, the playground equipment service is installed this year at Winton Hills and it's phenomenal. It looks like a ride at King's Island. And these kids are going to lose their minds on August nineteenth when they're back in school. The day before this year, so just two weeks ago, Steve's walking through and we see that there's sort of a path there that didn't get filled in with anything, and Steve just decided we're putting shrubs in here. They're not going to have this thing sounds like incomplete, and I just can't say enough about you know, that just totally captures, you know, what this is about. It's like, let's get this right for the kids in the community.
Speaker 1: You Know. One thing I've always appreciated about these projects is so many, maybe all of them occur at a school and just exposing the kids, especially kids growing up in urban environments, just to the beauty of horticulture of gardens. You know, almost every horticulturist I know when you ask them how they became a horticulturist. That usually they're saying, Oh, as a kid, my grandma had a garden, or my family had a garden or some story like that. And these kids will all have a had a garden growing up through these projects, and I think that's I mean, there's no end in extrapolating how important that is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think that's something we're landing on now and again that theme of an urban learning garden, I think is so important. And when we did Rockdale, I mean there's everything from a sensory garden to an amphitheater to a pollinator gardens. There's shrubs to have fruit, you know, all throughout there's apple trees, pear trees.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: And the whole idea wasn't to necessarily feed the community. It was to show kids, you know, where their food comes from. And they showed you and where the fruit came from. There was a honeyberry. I'd never seen a honeyberry fruit before, but a first grader took us out and started picking the honey berries and eating them. It's like, well, yeah, doesn't everybody pick honey berries? And yeah, I know a lot of horticultures. Don't even know what a honeyberry is yet this first grader already knows and it was excited to show you and super In fact, most of the tours we give during the school season, they're taken over by the kids because they're so excited. You know, they come up in the spring, they have asparagus. They're eating asparagus while we're trying to lead a tour and the people are like legine that a kid eating asparagus, Yeah, fresh from the ground, And they end up taking the Oh, you want to see the you know where the strawberries are, and you want to see this, and it's it's amazing right in the middle of Avondale. How talented these kids are. And it's just give them the opportunity in the space and they'll really thrive. And you never know, you know, maybe when they become you know, the president, the mayor, they'll look at schools and go, how come there's no school garden here, Come on, let's go and so we don't know the impact.
Speaker 1: That we're having and then they'll turn immediately to this is a reds community fund.
Speaker 4: But it's great and I just want to thank Charlie and the Reds for really making this possible and we get more the zoo, our team, we get more out of it spiritually, and it really just warms our heart to do these projects. And they've been very successful, and we thank you, Charlie.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Steve.
Speaker 2: When we got to Avondale in twenty thirteen, I mean it was the horticulture team at the zoo that really finally brought this this thing to full color. And I, you know, and I live about two three minutes from Gabriel's place, so I get to drive by it all the time, and I remember just how stunned I was with the amount of time and effort and care that they put into it, and remember covering it the night before. And you know, because we P and G deserves so much credit for this, the logistical effort, the leadership, I mean, they're the ones that really started it, and we couldn't do it without them. But it is the zoo that that brings it to life. And Dave Jenicke said it, and I heard Dave and Jerome say it as well, and it just keeps, you know, it keeps bouncing around my brain that you know, the kids that are back at Winton Hills Academy here in a week and a half, they're going to grow up with these trees. You know, they're going to grow together. You know that that's you know, And that was like Brockdale Academy was just empty space to be mode occasionally and maintained. And now it's alive and it's and just the possibilities are undless.
Speaker 1: I remember the first day, the first volunteer day, if my memory is right, and I think it is, twelve thousand plants went in the ground that day and that was with a that was twenty one, right, So that was like a diminished volunteer group because COVID was still going on, you know, talk about transformation. Yeah, that was a flat piece of turf, not even good turf, just worn out, beat up turf and what eighty eight truckloads of soil and twelve thousand plants later. But it's doable, and people should, you know, look into if you have questions about how can we do something like this, you can reach out to Charlie and Steve. I'm sure of it. I don't think I'm putting you on the spot.
Speaker 4: And one of the things I'd like to just pass along is. You know, everyone's got a backyard, front yard, and just being able to bring life and more ecology into your yard. It really is, you know, heartwarming to see the butterflies come in, to see the birds come in. That's something you can't get with just a lawn. And so we'd like to challenge everybody to plan it for pollinators, put some good trees in and and really, you know what these gardens have done for the kids at the school and the community. You know, let's think about doing it in near your own backyard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nothing says you can't add some trees to your front yard and contribute to the community yourself. And that's what it's all about, getting more people planning more plants. Charlie, it has been such a thrill to have you here. I'm so glad you could come and tell us about the good work you're doing. Can you tell us where the project will be next year?
Speaker 2: I cannot, you know, We've we've got to couple of neighborhoods. Usually there are a.
Speaker 1: Few, I mean.
Speaker 2: Steve mentioned that he and the team from the zoo had met with Obelaye, the Went Hills Community Council president, two years in advance. I mean, we visited Lincoln Heights for the first time almost a decade before we wound up there working that project in twenty twenty two. Same with Walnut Hills. We were just there last year and oh my goodness, what the zoo built behind the Odell Owens Center for Learning is something like you'd see at the Biltmore Estate. It's so beautiful, the butterflies coming back to something that had just been asked fhalt. So yeah, some of them take a while to percolate. Scott, we've got two or three and hopefully within the next few months we'll be able to I'm.
Speaker 1: Already sure forward to meet next year's project. Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 2: My pleasure. Thank you.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we'll talk to Gary Sullivan. Let's go with Scott Berlin back in a few.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: I've been recommending Blackjack driveway stealers for years, and here's some great news. The Blackjack ten year sealer drive Max one thousand features accelerated drying time in curing in cooler temperatures. Drive Max one thousand adds curb appeal, delivering a light, new black finish and as you're a thane Enhanced for the Longest life Drive Max one thousand, available at Low's Home Depot True Value ACE in your local hardware store. Visit Blackjack Coodings dot com for more information. Blackjack protecting driveways for over one hundred years.
Speaker 3: Recently I visited do Zollar Pump Company in Louisville. We toured the factory, the innovation building where they trained plumbers. We got to see the attention to detail on every pump day manufacturer, and of course the innovation behind it. Zalor's a four generation, family owned company, and you can tell the people truly care. They care about quality, and that's why so many plumbers recommend Zalor, and I do too. If you need a sump pump, grinder pump, you can't go wrong with a solar pump. As your plumber though Grease Solar Pumps dot Com.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back. You're listening to That's Garden with Scott Berline. I'm or we're wrapping it up. We enjoyed Charlie Frank very much, and I'm here still with John Butcher from Madison Treecare and Landscape. Thrown off. I was throwing off by the email difference that we talked about earlier and you you guys are celebrating a big anniversary this year, eighty years this year, eighty years in business, and it was how many generations my grandfather started nineteen forty six. That's very, very cool.
Speaker 4: And Steve and I will say that we use Madison because they were one of the finest companies in the city and they've also contributed to the community fund. So thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having us. Oh absolutely, and along with enjoying people with us, Gary Sullivan joins us. Now, Gary, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing fine? Good morning everybody. Hey Gary, Yes, sir.
Speaker 1: What do you got today on your show?
Speaker 3: I don't know anything in the rain?
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course it will.
Speaker 3: It's all directly responsible for this, Yeah, directly responsible. We just talk about droughts. Now we talk about floods. What's going on?
Speaker 1: It's living in the modern world.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, gracious. Yeah, we're going to talk about heat, humidity, ring, gutters and some pumps.
Speaker 1: How's that? It sounds like everything you need to solve too much water?
Speaker 3: Well, you know what it's all about water control. We preach it all the time. And man, I'll tell you what. There's a lot of water control needed right now from undersized gutters. We've been talking about that, how these deluges are really overrunning the guttering systems on many houses, especially when there's a couple of roofs kind of funneling into one place and it is a funnel, and then you get a hard stream coming down the roof and over the gutters, and then you get erosion and some basement leaks. And I guess as a landscaper, you can always use just a big pile of rocks at the bottom, right.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't do rocks. That doesn't you know, the rain just runs right through them. You can put a big pile of soil up against your foundation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was talking about just rocks just to divert splash the water.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's a classic. That's a classic dry stream. It's so called dry stream.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I'll tell you what it really is. I've seen a lot of issues with gutters this year, more so than any other time. And I've been telling people, if you don't think you have a problem, because there's not many people that want to rush out in the middle of a thunderstorm, just see if their gutters are overflowing. But so many of our homes have landscaping beds and mulch, and you know, I always see your homes talking to you all the time. All you got to do is go out after the rain. You'll see immediately whether you have an overflow problem or not, because it'll just wash out the mulch or wash out soil, and you'll see where the problem is. And you got to really get that correct. And there's many ways to do that, and we'll talk about a bunch of those.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you, Gary, I ran out in the rain yesterday to see how my gutters were doing.
Speaker 3: You're the guy.
Speaker 1: I'm that guy, the guy I didn't even put on a rain coat or an umbrella. It wouldn't have mattered. It was gonna get soaked one way or the other.
Speaker 3: Well, I used to preach that, and then somebody, I think, kind of kind of wrapped me upside the head and say, why would I go out in the middle of a downpourt And well then.
Speaker 1: Don't Well, yeah, in the dumb dumb thing was the lightning that was coming straight up and down?
Speaker 3: Why we did hard bolts. I was outside and it just came inside. When first thunderstorm blew through.
Speaker 1: A couple of those thunderbolts caused me to say words I'm not very proud of.
Speaker 3: They were serious ones.
Speaker 1: I yeah them. Yes, there's a tower right across the street from me gets hit a lot. Yeah, is that right? Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's been an interesting summer though, and I'm sure you say the same in the horticultural business. But you know, it's it seems like we're talking about things that we never talk about in the summertime, and that is the whole rain issue and controlling water. Usually were repairing concrete and ceiling decks, and you know, those jobs have been few and you know, kind of picking your your day. You're one day where it's not gonna rain or you know, so we are working on different things this year, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just put a six by six cement or post up for a gate with a lot of cement because I want that post to stay put one day before all that rain yesterday, and I'm just thinking, what's this doing to the concrete. It doesn't have to look pretty, and it doesn't, so I'm hoping it's still good.
Speaker 3: Yep. I'll tell you what. You know, we do things one time and then the next time when it doesn't hold up, we come back and say that is never going to fail again.
Speaker 1: That's right. Well, thanks Gary, Wi'll be listening to your.
Speaker 3: Show all right, very good up to good work.
Speaker 1: I will try. Thanks to John Butcher from Madison Tree Care Landscape came this time, Steve Foltz from the Cincinna Potanical Garden Zoo, and Charlie Frank from the Reds Community Fun. I want to thank all the callers and listeners today and Danny Gleeson, our producer. He's a magician back there. Podcasts are available wherever podcasts are available. We'll be back next week with good guests, good topics, a lot of fun. Join us. Let's guard what Scott burline