Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey or Dodger talk well, at this stage of his career, I can only get to so many accolades. A National League MVP, a World Series MVP, but more importantly a winner, three time World Series champion. Freddie Freeman thanks a lot for the time. And spring training has arrived. When I see that Freddie Freeman smile light up the entire camp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's awesome. It's good to be back, you know, you get to see all the guys again, go through the grind to start the road to three peats. It's fun. It's a beautiful day today and guys are getting to work in and we're getting ready to go.
Speaker 1: A year ago, at this time, you were trying to come back from ankle surgery. How much happy are you now just having a normal off season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is nice. I'm not having to tape bankles, get here at five forty five in the morning to start treatment, to try and make it out here for practice. This is nice. It's nice to have a normal off season, get my work in restrictions. It's definitely nice. I like these kind off seasons and spring trainings.
Speaker 1: So how much preparation. Do you have to do still with the maintenance of your ankle.
Speaker 2: I haven't been in the training room yet. Oh yeah, so I feel good. I really do feel good. Everything feels good, so I don't need the trainers yet.
Speaker 1: Freddy, I know one of the staples of you working out during the off season is never having somebody in right field shagging for you. What's the what's the game plan for you at this stage of your career in spring training?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Same, like what you just said. So the last the first few days have been really good. Swings in a good spot based swings, kind of getting into place. Balls are going to left center, live p li VP's have been going well. Ltting balls, travel tracks, he pitches, trying to slow everything down. Everything it's exciting, so you get a little jumpy here, so you got to make sure you slow the slow the game down a little bit of the same thing. But VP's been going good, hitting balls the left center. If I hit all the right field, you'll probably see you see you see myself, yell at me myself in the cages. But things are going well. It's a good start so far.
Speaker 1: Everybody always wants to know what makes Freddy Freeman great when the season starts. So how do you approach spring training?
Speaker 2: I like to play, so I'm a guy that will get I think we just mapped it out yesterday. I'll get forty seven played appearances going into the season. So that's the game plan. I like to play. Get the feet under me, get the legs under me, shock the body when playing back to back to back sometimes in spring, but right now, it's just getting the work in, grinding. You know, you're timing, trying to get your timing as quick as you can. I mean, I was facing my seventy one year old dad five days ago, so trying to face Roki and Edwin and all those guys and livps. So you're just trying to get your working, get your timing going, and then get into the games and start getting some feel good swings and hits and build your confidence going in the season.
Speaker 1: You always come into camp ready. Yeah, but when you looked around the clubhouse that first day of full squad, how impressed were you by your teammates that seem to be ready day one and the work they put in as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's kind of how it is in today's game. Everyone's coming in ready to go. And I think if you if you started games today, you'd see all of us be ready to go and ready to go right now. So I think that's huge.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: The mentality has changed in the game in baseball in the last twenty years of how you come into spring training. Most of us are ready to go by day one, So I think that's good. We got a hungry group. We know what we're looking forward to, and they grind the chances of three feet everyone coming for us. So we came in ready. The hunger's here. Everyone's doing a great job in the first few days of camp and you know, getting ready to start this spring training season so far.
Speaker 1: Last year, you guys took everybody's best shot during the regular season, but you never waivered. You never overemphasized one win or one loss. Do you feel like that serves you guys well going into this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think we have a bunch of veteran guys, so we know we're going to go through the ups and down and you know, obviously there's worse ways to lose during the course of a season, but we're not gonna win every game. That's just kind of how it goes, So you take the hits when you take the hits. Like last August, we weren't playing that good of baseball, and then we got some guys back off the il and we started playing good, and we played good in the postseason. So I know when fans are watching, they're hanging on in episode or we believe me, we are not happy if we lose a game. But and you just got to know, it's a one sixty two grind. You know, some days, Doc there's not relievers available, and most fans and people don't know who's available and who's not available. So we do a great job of trying to keep everyone healthy as through the course of the year as best as we can while we're trying to win baseball games. And I think the fans that watch us play know that, you know, we give out our all every day. You guys are out there seeing us work at two o'clock in the afternoon getting ready for seven o'clock games. We love it. We grind, but you can take things from wins and then you can also just move on from wins and losses a bit differently during the course of season. So but the thing is is I've always tried to harp on you got to win that game that night because you can sell it. Last year we had one less win than the Blue Jays during the course of the World Series regular season, so we didn't have home field advantage. So there is those things that you got to be mindful of. And you know, don't ever take a pitch off. We don't. But if you do lose a game, sometimes you just push it this side and worry about.
Speaker 1: The next one. Freddy Freeman coming off back to back World Series championships, two consecutive World Series with walk off home runs. I'm curious. I know you're a big baseball fan, your boys are big baseball fans. How much did you replay Game six in Game seven? Or did you kind of stay away from it? Oh?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know how many times someone has come up to me and said, what a great series. That was such a fun series to watch, And I'm like, it wasn't a fun series to play. Okay, there was about eighty different times we could have lost Games six and seven. But that's what's so beautiful about this game and about the season and that run was we got out of so many situations. We found different ways to win. We won differently than we did in twenty twenty four as well. You sold Glass coming out of the bullpen that he's never done. You have Yoshinoba doing superhero things. You have Blake coming out of bullpens. It was just amazing. Robleski's stepping up. There's so many different things that happened that it took the whole team to win the World Series last year, and I think that's what's pretty cool. And obviously we're going to try and do it a little bit differently this year and you know, put it all together, so we're not leaning on starting pitching like we did last year or bullpen and offense ye report, Maybe I'll just do it all perfectly this year this year and everyone contributes perfectly going into another World Series win, well.
Speaker 1: The rest of the offense should take a cue from Freddy Freeman. Keep it simple, that's.
Speaker 2: The goal, and sometimes it's hard to keep it simple in this game. Your mind, this is the hardest part the brain in this game. So keep it simple and stick with your plan and approach and your routine, and usually the big things will take care of themselves and you'd stick to.
Speaker 1: The little things. Before I let you go. Kyle Tucker, what are you your first impressions of him and having him in the lineup somewhere in the orbit of Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice. That's gonna be a tough lineup to navigate. Was four straight All Stars, superstar player to come onto our team. We got a great group of guys here and trying to make him feel welcome as soon as we can. And I think he's doing a great job fitting in. It's gonna be a fun season with him for the next few years.
Speaker 1: Were you surprised how people reacted to you saying at FanFest that you wanted to play four more years. I mean, you have not slowed down one bit. I don't know why anybody would be surprised.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I obviously don't really read what's going on.
Speaker 1: Is that a thing everybody's like, Oh, he wants to play four more years?
Speaker 2: Want me to stop there sooner?
Speaker 1: I don't. I certainly don't. You're a legacy Dodger at this point.
Speaker 2: Appreciate that. Yeah, I mean, obviously, you know when you're you got kids, and you know, obviously I love playing this game. I love it to death. So but I've played a long time, so I have like is for the number that like it's a dead stop or do I even get there? Who knows, but that's in my mind. That's kind of the rough estiment. So if I stay healthy and I'm playing, we'll see what the kids want me to do. But I'm not sure if Chelsea wants me to keep flying and traveling every other week during the season. But I love my family. I like to be home with them, but I also love this game. But I've played a long time, so four is just a number that's kind of out there, floated in my head. But we'll see how the next few years.
Speaker 1: Ago. I'm a big advocate Freddie Freeman four more years and Dodger Blue, so we'll get to that. And also Andrew. I think Andrews, I'll trust me, He'll hear the show. I'll be saying this often like I already have. And since Clayton's no longer with the team, I'll be the guy checking off the boxes of Freddie Freeman's career the next four years.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like that I was doing it for Clayton, so I need someone to do it for me.
Speaker 1: Now. Can I be the counter still you can be.
Speaker 2: The counter, all right. Just don't tell me every day though.
Speaker 1: To see you out here, Freddie, thanks a lot for the time. You know how much Los Angeles loves you and keep it going, mister consistent.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. Thank you, David very much. See you guys soon.
Speaker 1: Fans,