Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're gota running back to get.
Speaker 1: In on the show called eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase, Last.
Speaker 2: Day, Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until the top of the hour. After the Dodgers sweep the Royals in a three game series tonight, the final score four to two. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. The Dodgers hit three home runs tonight, and like we talked about, when the Dodgers homer, they usually win, or when they out homer their opponent, they usually win. And when they hit three home runs in a game, they are six teen and one. When they hit three or more home runs, they are three sixteen and one. Sho Heo Tani went deep, Mookie Betts went deep, and Hunter Fidusha went deep. Tonight for the Dodgers. But Eric Lawer, what can you say about this guy? How many teams are kicking themselves for not acquiring Eric Lawer from the Blue Jays after the first two months of the season. The Dodgers saw an opportunity, they seized it. They got Loour for cash considerations. And here he is tonight throwing one hundred and twelve pitches in six and a third innings because he knows the Dodger bullpen is thin. And then Landon Nak, who was called up earlier today, goes two and two thirds scoreless to close out the game to record his first save of the year. So it all went to plan except for Freddie Freeman taking a dive in the visitors dugout in the eighth inning going for a ball that was scary and quite honestly, if you're old enough to remember, move On signed a big contract with the Angels in nineteen ninety nine. The first game he played at Angel Stadium, he took a tumble down the steps of the visitor's dugout at Angel Stadium and sprained his left ankle severely and was never the same the rest of the year. Despite hitting thirty home runs. That's what I was thinking about. The Other part I was thinking about is that Freddie Friedman just had surgery on his right ankle two years ago, you know, before last season began. Freddie had surgery on that right ankle. That was the body part I was thinking about the most, along with his head snapping back onto the pavement right there in the dugout. So all of those things were going through my mind when I saw Freddie Freeman go down into the dugout, and you could hear the concern in Tim Neverett and Rick Monday's voice as they were describing it. Luckily, Freddy is okay, and he's in the press conference room right now, so let's hear from the Dodger.
Speaker 3: First, Baseman, I.
Speaker 4: Didn't hit my head, so that was the key part there. I am sore, h needcaps are sore, shoulder, sore hands, soreristsore. I mean, I fell, So I'm in good spirits. I've already called Tubb, have done everything I needed to do to put my own self in a position to be able to hopefully play tomorrow. And well, just I just talk to Doc and Andrew and Gomer and everybody in there, so we'll just see how I feel tomorrow when I wake up. I was already I think gonna have Friday off, so we'll just see how this. Let's see how I feel when I wake up tomorrow. But right now I'm just sore something.
Speaker 1: Image.
Speaker 5: Did you think you had your fuddy?
Speaker 4: No, I went to I knew I was close to the rail, and if you see, I haven't really seen the replay yet, but I went to lean like I was gonna lean against the rail.
Speaker 1: To catch the ball, and obviously there was no rail.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that was the whole, the whole thing. I was going to lean into the rail to catch the ball, and just.
Speaker 6: It was no pain.
Speaker 7: Like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I actually in Arizona went on when I was with the Braves. I had to be maybe ten eleven years ago before the nets went up, and so I went over. I actually went down probably like ten feet. Yeah, so and I hit seats and everything. So not my first time, unfortunately. And I didn't catch that one either.
Speaker 3: Full thousand out.
Speaker 1: The breath and you walked up and the Freddy did you hear all that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I heard them. They were like all the royals are just like lay down, lay down. It's like let me get up and see if I fall back down. I don't want because I was laying. There's another staircase that goes into their to their clubhouse, and I think that's what kind of saved me because I landed on that and that's what gave leeway from my head. I actually when I fell, I fell onto the other staircase, so that kind of helped not hit my head on anything. So I really didn't want to lay at an angle and wait for our trainers to get there. So I just got up and I was sore immediately, but I had adrenaline flowing. So that's when, probably after Isaac's at bat and the next guy came up, that's when the adrenaline kind of started to wear off, and you know, I kind of motioned to was like, hey guys, I'm like, you guys might need.
Speaker 6: A hit for me.
Speaker 4: I'm a little it's getting sore, but yeah, I could hear the fans. I appreciate it. I'm okay, this one's not my ankle, so I should be I should be okay.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I was thinking about, Freddy.
Speaker 2: I was worried about that right ankle, and you know, a big sigh of relief. You could hear in the sound of his voice that it could have been a lot worse. But he's okay. And of course, of course, Freddie Freeman wants to play tomorrow. I mean, come on, Freddie Freeman, of course wants to play tomorrow. Dave Roberts had told the media earlier this evening that the plan was for Freeman not to start in Game two of this four game series starting Tomorrow night against the Brewers. And the Brewers are throwing what three lefties at the Dodgers in this series, dronin tomorrow, Robert Gasser on Friday, and Logan Henderson on Sunday. And oh, by the way, the miss is going up against Robleski on National TV this Saturday. So it should be an electric series between the two best teams record wise in Major League Baseball, Dodgers Brewers on a collision course, the two teams that faced off against each other in the NLCS, the Dodgers sweeping the Brewers after the Brewers when all six meetings are all seven meetings against the Dodgers last year. So I'm not going to overemphasize the importance of this series considering the Brewers handle the Dodgers in the regular season. But I would say that this is important for the Dodgers, not because it's the Brewers, but because it's one of the two teams that they are fighting for to get a first round by and not be a Wildcard Division winner like they were last year. Them and the Braves are tied with the same amount of losses. The Brewers are two games ahead of the Dodgers in that category after being swept by the Padres in San Diego. So thank you very much, San Diego Padres for helping out the Dodgers. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers helped themselves tonight four to two winners over the Royals. It's their eighth sweep of a team this season. The last time they did it they did it twice in the middle of June against Minnesota at their place, and also sweeping the AL East leaders Tampa Bay Rays in the middle of June at Dodgers Stadium. All right, let's go out to La Darryl. You're on Dodger Talk. Lead us off tonight, Daryl.
Speaker 5: Hey, Dave, Yeah, last time I talked to you as a Tarika schoo ball trade on that Saturday.
Speaker 3: All right, that's a good day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I was. I was thinking the same thing about the Mobawn situation, and I just saw the highlights of it. And what I don't quite understand because when I was I went to Arizona State, Dave. When I was there or star Owfield was Otobe mcdel, Mike Debreau and Barry Bonds, and I remember being in right field and Mike Debreau was was chasing for a ball that was going to the fence and I yelled out him, Hey, he got room. I understand why the guys weren't there, Like, hey, watch out, you're gonna you're gonna see the steps. I mean, why not, Telly, I mean, you got guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was an awkward Uh it was in number one. The Royals don't come to Dodger Stadium that often. Number two. It was an awkward place where Freddie Freeman was going after that foul ball because he was right at the staircase on the other side of that Royals visitors dugout is the camera Well, Uh, there were a couple of trainers that looked like on the h on the near side, and by the time they were able to react, it was too late. So I don't I don't blame them. There weren't really any players in that area where Freddie fell down the steps.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I'm just saying that.
Speaker 3: Where were you, Darryl? Where were you? Where were you to help Freddie out? Tonight?
Speaker 5: I'm at home.
Speaker 3: Oh see, Okay, all right, Darryl. You got blood on your hands too? Yeah, anyway, all right, Darrel, I gotta run. Thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was a weird place, right, I mean, perfect storm in a bad way for Freddie because where he was stepping and thinking there was railing. You could watch the replay and see his left foot go out and actually step on the second part of that staircase and tumble down. And then you see two I think trainers on the other side or coaches or whoever, they are reaching out, but they had no shot at catching Freddy. There were just no players around to try to try to catch him embrace his fall. But luckily for Freddy, he did not hit his head on the ground, and that would have been a different story. He would not be smiling the way he was smiling in the press conference room. A few minutes ago. Let's go out to West Lake Village. David, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm doing great, DV.
Speaker 7: Thanks a lots for taking my call. And now, first off, I'd like to give a lot of healing and positive eyes out to Freddy. That was super scary to watch. And he's such a he's such a great guy and such a great ballplayer. I hope he comes back soon, maybe in a couple of days.
Speaker 1: But uh, this game, I don't, I know, we.
Speaker 7: Swept the Royals, the last place Royals, but but man, this this series was kind of like, I don't know, like eating cold pizza. I mean it's still good, you know, cool, but yeah, it's like it's like it's much better when it's hot. Right, It's like the Dodgers the mookie bat throw.
Speaker 2: You sound like Colin Cowhard right now with those type of analogies.
Speaker 7: Oh, I'll take that as a compliment. I like the Herd. But po Pa has with a terrible I mean, can someone please force Pa has not to challenge in his first at bat. He needs to get a time out. No more challenging in his first at that's ridiculous, and the base ride would I.
Speaker 1: Would be on board.
Speaker 3: I would be on board with that. David.
Speaker 2: I feel like Dave Roberts is going to join us tomorrow, so we'll ask him about that. But yeah, I feel like at this point Pajez should not be able to challenge. He should have the governor on the freedom of challenging for the Dodger's sake.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this sloppy baseball DV has to has to stop. I mean, it's not going to fly against the good teams. But the reason why I'm calling is, Oh, I thought.
Speaker 3: You were calling all those other things.
Speaker 7: Oh no, No, that was just the warm.
Speaker 2: You've got more now, Okay, it's like putting the pizza back in the microwave.
Speaker 5: It's nice and hot.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 7: The keyth tober Man. I love me some Keth tober and I just don't why is he not getting more at bats? I mean, at the very least, maybe platoon him with Tucker when there's a tough lefty pitching, and maybe put him at second base for a couple of games. I mean, maybe he'll play first now for a couple games when Freddy's resting. But but he's so important and I know that he just came back from an injury and he needs to get his timing back. So give give Keyk some that bats man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's going to get some because they're going to see three lefties in this series, David, So you're going to see a lot of key K against the Brewers. Thanks the phone call eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Before we continue on Dodger Talk, I just want to remind you tomorrow's the day our guy, the Bulldog, Oral Hersheiser is going to be honored with the star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It is open to the public, so go out there and support Oral Herscheiser, the World Series MVP, the cy Young of nineteen eighty eight, and of course a voice in your living room on Sports Net LA. To attend, just show up on the corner of Hollywood in Highland at the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum at eleven thirty. That's where you meet at eleven thirty on the corner of Hollywood and Highland four the unveiling of Oral Herschheiser's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Kershaw's going to be out there. Joe Davis is going to be out there.
Speaker 3: You never know.
Speaker 2: Even Mike Sosha might wander down there if his pizza is not cold. Let's go out to Alan La. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, al.
Speaker 1: Doing good?
Speaker 7: Dave?
Speaker 3: How you doing tremendous out?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I just want to say, Dave, I want to give a shout out to Freeman for picking up Ed. I mean, this one was a nice pick up. Everyone was talking about the acquisitions of Tucker and Danz, but this end season pickup has worked out great for the Dodgers. Every time they pitches, he gives you a solid outend. You know what they call quality stars. He's only had one bad Allen, and they normally win.
Speaker 3: Not just that out, Yeah, not just that out.
Speaker 2: They've won ten out of the eleven games that he's been on the mound. I would say that's more than a quality start. I mean, you're right, what a fine By Andrew Friedman, we all talk about Trek Scouble, but Eric Lower may be the best pickup of the of the regular season. By Friedman, I mean Schooble schooball obviously, but that's an obvious one to be able to get Lower. I mean, for nothing is and what he's done and the way Mark Pryor and specifically Connor McGinnis has gotten Lower back on track. No other team could do what they've done. And Connor McGinnis, like I have said over the years, and he and the Dodgers probably don't want me to say his name too many times, but he is the pitching secret weapon. Even Seth Halverson, the new reliever the Dodgers acquired, told me whatever Connor was showing him, it's already starting to click. Lower told me that Connor McGinnis understands the language of Lower. He has helped them a lot with his pitches, the pitch gripping, the mechanics, the mental side of it. So I can't say enough about Connor McGinnis, who is definitely the secret weapon as far as pitching coaches go in Major League Baseball. We're brought to you by Modello. Modello the mark of a fighter. You know what else I loved was in the bottom of the sixth inning, with one out, a full count and the Dodgers putting runners in motion. No secret. The Dodgers lead the league in double plays, and in the bottom of the sixth inning before Freddie Freeman doubled down the dugout. He was on the move from first base on a full count of Mookie beds and one out.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that great job by Dave Roberts and Bob Garren on the bench there tonight and throughout the entire year. I mean, you can then pick all you want, but Dave has done a tremendous job this season, and tonight the Dodgers beat the Royals four to two. When we continue, more of your phone calls, plus we'll check in with Jose Mota after the Dodgers defeat the Royals four to two on five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Hi, this is Freddy Freeman. This is the home of the back to back world champion Los Angeles Dodgers. Don't miss a moment of the quest.
Speaker 6: Four to three peats.
Speaker 2: The Swrings HiT's a high drive left failed.
Speaker 1: Way backing done, goodbye, jo Hey Otane with an offiser field glass Hama Dodgers. Later at three to.
Speaker 2: Two, show Hey O'tani with his fourth home run since the All Star Break. Tonight, a two run home run for Otani has one hundred and forty seventh home run in a Dodger uniform. So Max Munsey might pass Eric Carro soon for that distinction of having the most home runs in LA Dodger history, the most home runs at Dodgers Stadium. But Monsey knows that that's going to be a temporary status claim that he can have around his part of town because Otani's coming for him. One hundred and forty seven home runs for Otani. I mentioned this earlier. It bears repeating that the only players in baseball history with more home runs in their first three seasons with the team are Mark McGuire with the Cardinals, Alex Rodriguez with the Rangers, and Babe Ruth with the Yankees. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card. Visit AM five seventy LA sports dot com keyword home run and to your name you could win.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Hoseang Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Moto, what were you thinking when you saw Freddy Freeman go down the steps tonight, Down goes Freeman, Down goes Freeman.
Speaker 6: I said, oh, no, move on, I remember that play before all these screens came up in the dougouts and big Man I thought about the surgery, and then I'm like, I hope he didn't hit his head because that's the one thing worried about the most. Another thing two with them, you know it is Dave. I'm like, oh my god, no. But once I see him stand up, so okay, I see where he is. But thankfully we heard him talk about you know, good sense of humor about the whole thing, and hopefully in a couple of days we'll be back.
Speaker 2: Really, when you look at it, Eric Lauer tonight and what he did, I know, Scooball is schooball. But like I mentioned before you came on, this may be the pickup of the season.
Speaker 6: I'm glad you mentioned that day because you know, Eric Lauer in his own words like I'm not going to try to nitpicked today is I have to be aggressive. You know what he did today with you know those pitches that he made one hundred and twelve he threw eighty five varieties of the fastball, eighty five pitches on fastball variety fastball, and four seamers and cutters. That shows you he's not messing around. That shows you that he was not afraid of contact. That tells you also that he know what was a stake when having to go out there any debtsent innings. But I'm glad you mentioned this too, because I mean, the first inning was pretty much a reflection of what they did to Schoobel, and the first three innings the same thing. He had sixty four pitches through three, Schoobol had sixty one through three. But this guy found a way to stop him. He made pitches, He got some chases, which is very amazing when he consider that when you talk about chasing pitches and guys missing and expanding zones. He I leven chases on his fastball, which says you what. There's a lot of deception, there's a lot of cleanliness in his delivery. The ball just looks very good. Before you know it, it's out of the zone. So I'm glad to see him go out there and step up in a very big way and give the Dodgers exactly what they needed because they don't know what else they needed. Dave they need or sweep?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt, there's no reason why they shouldn't sweep the Royals and feel even better about themselves going into a big four game series against the Brewers. And what's even better for the Dodgers is that Mookie bets for the first time all year long, looks like Mookie bets.
Speaker 6: It seems like Mooki has found something that we hope stays in his own words too. Is good to hear him talk about and not being a machine. But let's just get Muoki in the right mindset to say, I am here. You talk about certain months, you talk about Otani in the month of May, Well, this is Mookie's month where he finds something. I mean, remember he was out for a while, and you know, it seems like things come around this time for him like they did last year. It's just a difference day in the bats, in the swings and the flatness of the swings and the approach, and also the the aggressiveness and like determined swings with conviction, like he's fouling the off balls even when he hits it on the ground. But you can see you swinging hard, not feeling for the baseball, and even who's drama ball the other way, which is really not his strength. It's good to see how and why he's saying, now through the zone, not letting that barrel drop, and have the confidence to work deep at bats, to just tell everybody that he's a tough out. Mookie should be walking a little bit more when he goes a little bit deeper, but nonetheless he's a presence of the dollars need badly from here on all.
Speaker 2: Right, before I let you go, Jose, we had a caller call in about this. I was wondering how quick somebody would call in about Andy pi Haz and the abs challenges that have gone awry for pie Has. Do you feel like now Dave Roberts should put the governor on piez And when he's allowed to challenge any pitches because he's challenging him early and he's missed badly.
Speaker 6: At some point you have to go out there and govern that. Dave always talked about this back in the spring training about having a plan, an idea. You have to leave some available for you guys on the mound. I mean, especially when the team's not hitting, every single pitch is gonna count, every single location is gonna count. Any little you know, just rubbing of the string zones gonna count. So yeah, Andy is when he misses too. It's not missing like because the ball just barely you know, touch his own. These are balls that are in the zone. So for him just go out to understand that there's also strategy now that's new that he has to get used to and understand that, you know, at some point is not just about you're at bat. You got to think about the rest of the game if it's that early, and just eat it up and come back a little bit better, all right.
Speaker 2: Jose Tomorrow, I'm pumped up the beginning of a four game series against the Brewers, and I know the players. They always give me a hard time. They always say I overblow series in the regular season, but this is a big series when you look at seeding in the National League.
Speaker 6: Dave, what you're saying is either the questions that you are asking the players or they're listening to the show, so they're listening to you. That's a good thing, Dave. Every series is a big series when you are the Dodgers because every team that comes against you is trying to hurt you and say we did it. We knocked them out, we beat them in the series, we swept them. So yeah, it is a big series. Go out there and play good baseball. You know that the Brewers are coming out a little wounded. You know what happened in San Diego to them and the Potters have a lot of confidence. But nonetheless take care of the Brewers. You know what they have exactly how they play the game. The fan play will and make better decisions on the basis and catching the baseball. No free outs, no given runners. Go out there and throw strikes, and have your book on lined up to go out there and know that this team's going to make you catch a baseball if you want.
Speaker 3: To win, that's right.
Speaker 2: Don't give extra outs and don't give away outs against teams like the Brewers, it's not going to work out the same way it did against the Royals.
Speaker 6: Dave keep saying where you're saying to the players, because you know what is working.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: It's a big series, big series, Jose, get your tickets now, especially for Saturday the Miz at Dodgers Stadium on National TV. All right, Jose, we'll see you out there tomorrow. It's gonna be big, grande grande series.
Speaker 7: Coming.
Speaker 3: Okay, there it goes.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast with Luis Cochito Cruz. Yes, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, Freddy, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Month.
Speaker 2: See, those are big series, big four game series we're all excited about. Yes, you're tied with the Braves for the number two seed in the National League. Yes, you're two games back of the Brewers for the number one seed in the National League. These head to head and meetings are worth two games, whether or not you want to believe that, whether or not you don't want to acknowledge that.
Speaker 3: I'm onto something.
Speaker 2: I'm excited and you can't take that excitement away from me or the City Dodgers Brewers rematch of the NLCS at Dodgers Stadium. It starts tomorrow night at seven ten. The Dodgers will be facing left hander as Shane Drowen, who's six and four with an ERA at three eighty seven. He's a lefty. We know the Dodgers have had a mixed bag of results against lefties. Roki Sasaki in his last two starts, with the help of Connor McGinnis, has found something, has found something with his fastball, has found something with that highlighter Grande glove. He is five and five this year with an era of four fifty four. And look, Freddie is going to try to convince the Dodgers to let him play tomorrow. We'll see whether or not he's in there. But you know, even though it is a big series, even though it is the Brewers, I would lean if I'm Dave Roberts to sitting Freddie Freeman for the first two games of this series and then sorry, Freddie, you got to get in there against Jacob Mizerowski. And I know Freddie Freeman does not get miss idis or any pitcher itis out there, and he'll be there ready to go on Saturday after he took that tumble in the eighth innings. So looking forward to the next four games, it should be fun. Like our caller earlier today, it's not going to be cold pizza. It's going to be very very hot Shaky's pizza. That's what it's gonna be. And there's gonna be some mojos on the side.
Speaker 3: Right there. You heard me. Big series Dodgers Brewers starts tomorrow. All right.
Speaker 2: That'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight. Thanks to Colin Yee here in our Burbank studios. Thanks to Done McDonald at Dodgers Stadium and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it the iHeartRadio app. That's where all the players closet listen to the show. Only one or two have the guts to admit, yes, I listen, and I know who you are.
Speaker 3: Once again.
Speaker 2: The final score tonight the Dodgers defeat the Royals four to two.
Speaker 3: Have a great rest of your night, zeus.