Speaker 1: Little bit. Let's go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we uh, we have a couple of guests. I got us a guy from Green Bay tomorrow. And see how frightened they.
Speaker 1: Are up there. Oh, there's there's they're up scared. We got the beat reporter scared of that slow footed four year old man.
Speaker 2: I saw him scramble. And you're right, But Jason, let's talk about the matters at hand. And we're all hearing, we're all confused about what's going on in Gaza, Israel, that whole thing right there. What in the world is going on? And is two years after the after the two years that awful attack. But Trump's saying any day now, any day now, after promising it would be taken care of almost immediately, and of course it hasn't gone on a week now, right, But but now Trump is saying, we're really close. Well let's I'm wondering how close we are. So let's talk to an expert in the matters in this matter. He is from Tarleton State University. He is doctor Bocabala from the Legal Studies of Philosophy Department, Government department down there as well. And doctor Kabala, welcome to the program.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you so much for having me on.
Speaker 4: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Great to be here.
Speaker 2: So what are we looking at here? Obviously it's confusing to all of us in this part of the world. How is it really close? In your opinion?
Speaker 4: You know, and I think you're right to sound a note of skepticism. You've got some of that actors here before who obviously have a record of committing horrific acts. Hamas back no doubt by Iran. But I will say to me the fact that it's Donald Trump and Steve Wiitcuff is involved, very unconventionalotiating style. He's been willing to talk to the Israeli government in a very direct way. You've got the UN Secretary General Antonio Gutierrez involved, You've got the moderate Islamic state of Cutter facilitating some of the conversations, getting the teams that Trump President Trump assembles. I'm gonna stay cautiously optimistic here, maybe for a few more days.
Speaker 1: Doctor Kual. I just find the whole thing fascinating, even from the sense of being in a room negotiating, their negotiating at a resort in Egypt, and just the fact that there's the representatives from Israel are in a room with a militant group, a terrorist organization like that alone just kind of blows my mind in a sense that like, like, how are they even guarantees that, like things don't get violent even in that Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, it's it's really mind boggling. And it's not your typical negotiation scenario, I will say, And I go back to this uncanny ability that President Trump seems to have to attract people into a conversation, at least who you might think have diametrically upposite views. So I'm thinking about how strong he's been for Israel, moving the capital in line with you know, to Jerusalem, just being as strong as he has, and then at the same time, just in the US domestically, he's able to attract the support of the first Muslim mayor of a town in Michigan. So there's something about the way he speaks to different parties. He carried on diplomacy with North Korea. I mean, I'm originally from Eastern Europe, and so when Ronald Reagan talked to you know, Gorbachev, many people were skeptical about that. I think this is even harder because, as you're saying, you've got a fanatical group, you know, Hamas going back to nineteen eighty seven, all kinds of links to the Islamic Brotherhood and they're a fanatical group.
Speaker 1: Rational choice does not apply.
Speaker 4: And yet if anybody can do it, I think maybe President Trump, Steve Witkoff and Prime Minister net Yahoo can can get us to some kind of lasting piece.
Speaker 2: We're talking to doctor Bocabala and Doc where where do you think the sticking point is right now? And they hasn't Hamas agreed to release the hostages. And I think that's been a big sticking point all along. I don't know the last on that, so.
Speaker 4: There's been that sticking point. I think, maybe even more acute at this point, the insistence, and I think the correct insistence on the American Israeli side, that Hamas have no part in any future governance in Gaza. You know, I think that's a sticking point right now. I think it's an interesting negotiating strategy to come to an agreement on general principles which appears to have taken place, and the hostages will be released tragically. It appears that there's twenty remaining live hostages, so gosh, yeah, we have to work out the details and there's all the reason in the world, all the historical reasons to suppose that might be the hardest lift. But in terms of the broad agreement, hostages are released, conflict comes to an end. At least that general framework is in place.
Speaker 1: Are any of the remaining twenty hostages living Americans? You know, I can't speak to that at the moment.
Speaker 4: I think it's forty five forty six total that COMOS is still holding in twenty or are lives out of the original two hundred and fifty? You know, I just can't imagine the terror that you know that days years ago. So but let me check on that and I'll get back.
Speaker 2: To you, a doctor in your in your opinion, eyeball on this from you know, obviously we're a long way away. But uh, do you see this thing getting settled any time? I mean, I don't know ask you to put a time frame on it, but in the next week, two weeks, month.
Speaker 1: Or so, you know. Uh.
Speaker 4: And not to keep pivoting back to the fact that it's President Trump, but you know, I forget which political philosopher says, and there's probably a few in the in the cannon, so to speak, who say you know, if you're threatening overwhelming force, be ready to use it. And so I think net Yahoo has applied that in Gaza. President Trump, I don't think there's any question that you know, he's he's not just willing to speak very directly, He's he's willing to back up what he says with direct actions. So my guess is, you know, there's been questions about the timetable of you know, Russia, Ukraine, and and he seems to have sort of distanced himself a little bit from what's going on in Eastern Europe. My sense here is two weeks, three weeks. He's pushing as hard as possible. Steve Wickcuff is pushing as as.
Speaker 1: Hard as possible.
Speaker 4: So I'm hearing two three weeks would would be a realistic time frame.
Speaker 2: All right, with that, doctor Kabbala, we will let you go. Thanks so much, Thank you.
Speaker 1: So much, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Really appreciate it, Doctor Bocabala, Tarlton State University, And dude, I you know all that international politics and stuff that has been going on from some of these groups for literally thousands of years, you know, the Palestinian, Israeli, all of that Middle East stuff that boggles my mind. I have no comprehension how it all goes. I'm sorry to be ignorant on it, but it's never affected my life. I mean, I know, I'm not Jewish or any you know, I had no connection to either one of those cultures, so I haven't really paid a lot of attention. It's obviously awful. You don't want to see these people, you know, these ancient enemies going on it forever. But it's been going on forever, you know.
Speaker 1: And then you know you and you read about that Hamas wants a lasting ceasefire and for Israel to withdraw completely from Gaza, and it's like that. But then on the flipside, what did what did Hamas do two years ago? Like it is incredibly complex, sad deep deep, deep deep, you know deep hatred. Really, I mean.
Speaker 2: Your major bid honestly, With that, we check in with traffic and weather.
Speaker 5: What is going on from the UC Health Traffic Center, Mamma Graham, save what I was called? Five one three five eight four. Pink schedule your annual mammogram with UC Health Expert Team five one three five eight four Pink cruise are on the scene of a problem. One self one north poind crash on the right hand side just after Montgomery Road, and we're looking at DeLay's the Norwood Lateral about a ten minute delay through the area.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: Seventy five southbound is about a seven minute trip from on a Reagan Highway down to Nordwood Lateral with that construction, and we've got so times back to right around Shepherd volumes picking up seventy five northbound Mitchell to Pattick and southbound Western Avenue to the Brent Spence Bridge and then seventy five northbound Turfoy to Dixie Highway. We've got about a five minute drive. And remember the work on the Carrol Cropper Bridge continues at the Indiana Kentucky state line. Right now, we're seeing heavy your traffic westbound back to the Petersburg exit. In southbound back to west fifty my bricks sh Rent Produced Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW weather center for tonight clear skies, forty four tomorrow sunshine and sixty six. It is seventy NOWE News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: All right, mister Pennay, I'm going to show you some images and you tell me what do you see looks like a butterfly listening the Scott's Loan show. And this one I see a rocket ship, a rocket ship. Yeah, last enough for the planet Sloan. I see in this one.
Speaker 6: That looks like a fish swimming in a mountain pond.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but the fish is angry because he's not listening to Scott Sloan.
Speaker 1: Scott's Loan, please listen responsibly.
Speaker 7: Join me Scott Sloan tomorrow morning at nine o'clock on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Might be best for us to discuss some strong medications.
Speaker 8: This report is sponsored by Staples Qthy.
Speaker 2: Right back on the Eddie and Rocky Show, Rock Out Today. Jason Williams from the Inquirer Cincinnati dot Com is with us, and Buddy, you and I are going to be down at this this River Roots thing tomorrow. We're going to live at the at the ovation, so I hear. I'm real curious and it's it's funny where deb and I live now. I have I can see the I have a view of the river and I saw one of those giant boats going up the river today. It looks pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, this is it's similar to the old Tall Stacks festival. Correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they're they're advertising as tall Stacks on steroids. Now, I don't know what that means. If you have a hovercraft coming in from outer space that's going to glide up the river, I'm not sure about it.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you my colleague at The Inquired, Jeff's Jeff Ceze, has done some nice, nice historical pieces on this stuff.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, I was reading I was reading something. We're going to have it on the show tomorrow, believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 2: And yeah, this uh ovation on the River, I'm real curious to check this place out too. It's that whole new kind of condo complex and bars and restaurants and whatnot.
Speaker 1: So where they were talking at one point about building FC Cincinnati Stadium. Do you remember that?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was kind of I remember that being kicked around that same area.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: That's the well they've been talking about. They talked about building a lot of stuff down there, didn't they They did?
Speaker 1: I think at one point probably someone through out all we could build a new arena here.
Speaker 2: See, that's that's the one I'm thinking of. Yeah, because it made a hell of a lot of sense, to be honest, with you.
Speaker 1: I mean, that is a cool spot in the way that you can just sort of sits just slightly over the river bank, and you know, you can see that all of downtown Cincinnati now.
Speaker 2: In your mind, because I was reading about it today that I never thought this would happen up in Cleveland, but there it looks like that Brown Stadium is going to be moved north of town. Yes, they got there clear and they're clearing the deck on that Haslam's got way too much money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a snag where like the building was going to be too high for the airport. That's been cleared immediately. Yeah. Yeah, Like I know some people were like, yeah, that may see, and that's the government's going to make a tweak for that, and and they did.
Speaker 2: That's the reason I think that the next football stadium should be built either. I'm going to go north of town simply because it can become more accessible to the folks from Dayton. I mean, being a Dayton guy growing up there, I know a ton of Bengals fans from Dayton. Absolutely, obviously there are a lot of Bengals fans in Kentucky. But you know where you're going to put it because there's kind of a no man's land once you get past Forest Florence Mall and so, but between here and Dayton, obviously that's just become a corridor.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've given us a lot of thought, and I've written about it and other places that I visited. And the NFL really is suited for a suburban, big old greenfield, big slab of conker flat concrete out in the suburbs where you can just have all of your tailgating right there. It's not crunched, it's easy in and out. You look at you know, look at Buffalo, look at Kansas City. Kansas City is a great model. And that place has been around since the seventies.
Speaker 2: See, let me ask you about that, because I've always heard that what exactly is the lake it is it's just part flat out parking for a mileor two, all right, It's just this stadium and this mat surrounded by this just incredibly massive parking lot. And then I don't know fifty yards away is the Royal Stadium, and then another right beyond the Royal Stadium is I seventy. And that you're in and out, and you know there's some city streets kind of on the backsides of the of the of the of the big massive parking lot. But it's really it's easy access right off and on of I seventy.
Speaker 1: It's a big old flat, just slab of concrete and and look bait, you know it's Baseball was really good for downtown because you know, there's not the tailgating and it's the history or the history piece of it. But football is made for you gotta have space for tailgating, and you gotta have easy in and out because of the size of the crowds, and it's best suited to be in the suburbs in my opinion, I agree with that.
Speaker 2: Well, coming up next, speaking of messes, the airline industry right now is all kinds of wacka do with the government shutdown going on. If you're flying here in the next day or two, good luck.
Speaker 1: To Yeah, thank goodness, we got. I got. I flew back from LA last Thursday because I was like, ooh, this is coming, and I'm like, I don't want to I don't want to have to fly.
Speaker 2: Well that's the reason. Rocks and Night here today he's got a football game to I don't know if it's the night or tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Night in.
Speaker 2: Georgia Southern which I suppose to we didn't talk about, but I assume he flew into Atlanta, so I'll be real curious to see about his tales getting back here. But we're going to talk to our good friend Jay Ratliffe. That's after the news right now, News Radio seven hundred WLWSE.
Speaker 6: Traffic and Weather News Radio seven hundred wl Cincinnati.
Speaker 9: Ohio's governor with an announcement regarding certain hemp products with the three point thirty report. I'm Sean Gallagher breaking now. Governor Mike Dwine signing an executive order today which addresses intoxicating hemp products. One part of that order defines the difference between intoxicating hemp from legalized hemp and the state Administrative Code, while another part declares an adulterated consumer emergency which bans intoxicating hemp products for ninety days. Retailers who sell those products must see sales by this upcoming Tuesday and have them off the shelves. The order also gives the Ohio Department of Agriculture the ability to seize products and find those up to five hundred dollars a day who violate the order and continue to sell those products during the temporary ban. Dwine has targeted those intempts intoxicating hemp products due to the rise in the number of children being exposed to them. He says those products intentionally mimic popular candy that makes them enticing to minors. The products in question have synthesize hemp that contain Delta eight and they can be bought at gas stations and convenience stores.
Speaker 10: One is of the popular Nerd gummy cluster candy and the other is a Delta eight product called Medicated Nerdy Bears. So you can see the Delta eight product users packaging with identical design elements to the actual Nerds candy down to using the registered trademark cartoon Nerd character images.
Speaker 9: This order does not apply to non intoxicating hemp products or legal marijuana that is sold in licensed dispensaries. Now the latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 5: From the UC Health Traffic Center Mammogram Saved Lives called five one three five eight four pink Schedule your annual mammogram with UC healths Expert Team five one three five eight four pink Well seventy five is going. As you make your way northbound between Mitchell and pattic And southbound Western Avenue to the Brench Spence Bridge. On seventy one northbound after Montgomery, the accident here has our right shoulder taken up. We've got about a ten minute delay back to Norwood Lateral because of this. On seventy five southbound between Ronald Reagan Highway and Norwood Lateral. The construction work here has so announced back to Shephard it he is about a five minute to drive through the area and again two seventy five so it's at the Combes Hail Bridge. This ongoing bridge works going to continue from mid November. I'm Rick Shrump News Radio seven hundred w w lates.
Speaker 6: Forecast from the Train Heating and Cooling Weather Center on news Radio seven hundred wl's it's going to be a.
Speaker 11: Beautiful fall afternoon as temperatures will top out just shy of seventy with mostly sunny skies, plus it's chilly overnight. We dip down to the low to mid forties, back to the mid sixties on our Thursday, sticking with sunny skies. From a severe weather station, I'm nine first Warning Udrologist Cameron Harden on news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: Radar is showing a mostly sunny sky. I had seventy degrees. The government shut down now into its second week, and there's been no progress on Capitol Hill to pass a budget. Lawmakers at odds as Democrats want negotiations on extending tax credits for the Affordable Care Act and rolling back recent GOP Medicaid cuts, but Republicans refuse to negotiate until the shutdown ends. Staffing levels among air traffic controllers being impacted.
Speaker 12: It's not just the towers at the individual airports. It's also the air traffic control centers that are in office buildings, where there are dozens, sometimes hundreds of controllers who work the skies from one facility but control planes over several different states.
Speaker 1: ABC News is Sam Sweeney.
Speaker 9: While many federal workers go without paychecks, members of Congress are still getting paid during the shutdown.
Speaker 2: I suspended my pay immediately. Yeah, I think lawmakers should suspend their pay. It's just so everyone knows it is absurd that lawmakers are carved out. So my staff is showing up to work every day they're here. They don't get paid next week. Why should I get paid?
Speaker 9: But there are some like Ohio Congressman Greg Landsman, who are refusing pay until the government reopens.
Speaker 6: Seven one hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 13: Here's a Bengals update brought to you by Good Spirits at Party Town with thirteen locations in northern Kentucky. Joe Flacco, wearing number sixteen, is on the field in his first practice with the Bengals. Head coach Zach Taylor says Flacco will start against the Packers is Sunday in Green Bay and had unique contact with him after the trade.
Speaker 14: We talked on the phone while he drove. We had somebody to drive him, he and his wife from Cleveland, and so we were able to send him the information to study. Talk to him on the phone as he drove down.
Speaker 13: Bill Ellison seven undred WLW Sports final half hour of trading on Wall Street. Currently, the DOW is up twenty six points, NASTAK up two hundred and thirty five, and the SMP up thirty nine points.
Speaker 9: Our next update is at four o'clock. I'm Sean Gallagher News Radio seven hundred WLW seven.
Speaker 15: Hundred WLW Cincinnati and iHeartRadio station. Make us the number one pre set on your car radio and on the free new and improved, iHeartRadio app listen for all your music radio and podcast free never sounded so good. News Radio seven hundred.
Speaker 1: WLW five thousand dollars.
Speaker 16: That's the average amount of money people in the US are now spending on gas in a year five.
Speaker 2: All right, back with Eddie and Jason Williams in for Rocky Today. So, Jace, we've been hearing all this. You were just flying and you just got none just in time. None of this got you, eh No.
Speaker 1: I got back last Thursday from LA when the Reds were playing out there and mostly pretty smooth.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk to kind of break it down for us in case people haven't heard. The air traffic control situation right now, is I, shall we say, discombobulated to discuss as our good friend Jay rat left, our aviation expert here at the radio station. And Jay, is there any hope to pull all this together? Is it just a matter of this of the whole shutdown thing going away?
Speaker 17: Well, Eddiot, it's not really the shutdown that's doing. It's contributing. Oh yeah, because and here's why I say that. First of all, yes, the Burbank Airport didn't have the staffing levels that needed, so they had to shut it down and a nearby air traffic control center took over, so it's handling the arrivals, departures, et cetera. That's how it's supposed to happen if you have an issue of staffing or if there's a technical issue. The other situation we had was in the Nashville where there were delays of a couple of hours due to staffing. And of course the headlines are screaming it's the shutdown, it's President Trump, blah blah blah blah blah, all the other stuff. But what you need to understand, and most people wouldn't because you don't follow it, is that in the last nine months, we've had one thousand occasions where air traffic control centers have been shut down. Oh so this is something that's ongoing, and it's pretty much being driven by the shortage of air traffic controllers that we have. So it's happened frequently, and I can say a lot more in number than what we've had here just up late. But it's being created now in more in the spotlight because you have these men and women that are the air traffic controllers that on Tuesday of next week they're going to get a partial paycheck. Then two weeks later on the twenty eighth, they're not gonna get any paycheck. As this continues, and many of them have secondary jobs. So if you've got a job of whatever it happens to be, that you can go to work and get paid, or show up somewhere where you can work and work and work and get paid at a later date, or take sick time where you know you might get paid later and work the other job. You've got to have money coming in. So a lot of these men and women are saying, look, I don't want to do it, but I'm gonna call in sick so I can go work another job that I can get the money to pay the rent, the groceries and those kinds of things. Guys, I can't say that I necessarily would blame them given the situation that so many people are in where you know how many people can go for two, three, four, five, six weeks without a paycheck. That causes a lot of problems. So we've seen this happen before, and the problem is, of course, with this being so short with regards to the air traffic controllers, who are worse still thousands of the positions behind as far as getting caught back up, and that's going to take a number of years. This situation just becomes a lot more critical right now because we have such a thin bench to pull from, and I tell you, we're six weeks away from the busiest travel week of the year. So yeah, we got to get this fixed and get it fixed soon. But again, when you're seeing these airport FAA shutdowns, it bothers me when I hear some of the media or the headline screaming as though this has never happened before and it's indicative of a catastrophe waiting to happen. No, we've had it happen, as I've indicated nearly a thousand times in just the last nine months.
Speaker 1: So, Jay, with the federal government, and maybe this is too simplistic of a question, but you're the expert on this. The federal government is shut down, So then why is anyone even why wouldn't just all airports be shut down right now? Like, is there a special carve out for a certain amount of air traffic?
Speaker 17: FAA employees are yeah, you've got about let's use round numbers, Jason, fifty thousand people that work for the FAA, and about eleven thousand of them would be considered non essential, although I would prefer to classify him as less essential, not non essential, but less essential. So those people have been furloughed. Everybody else is working as you would normally work. Because when you look at the aviation industry, it represents about five percent of the GDP of our country, so it's a huge economic engine.
Speaker 1: You want to keep going because you've.
Speaker 17: Got the movement of passengers, cargo, freight, mail, all that stuff that has to take place, and we really want to make sure that it doesn't shut down for any reason. So that's one of the reasons it's looked at as a necessary service because of the fact that you have it. Now, there's something called the Essential Air Service the EAES, where there's a number of airports around the country that are considered underutilized. They don't have an adequate number of commercial service, So the government actually subsidizes airlines to fly into these smaller areas, these airports around the country where they're just not served, and they wouldn't be served because airlines can't go in there and make any money. So what they do is they can receive a subsidy from the government to go in so that there's air service in and out of a lot of these airports. We see a lot of it in Alaska and other states across the country. But the problem is they're going to run out of money for that, I think on Sunday. So I'll be interested to see if all of those airports are then ceased as far as any air service, or if they'll find a way to keep that going, because yeah, as I understand, it's the funding on that would run out on Sunday.
Speaker 2: So Jay, we're talking to Jay Ratlifan. Jay, what kind of markets are we talking there? Are you talking your I don't know, Missoula, Montana's your Fargos, that type of thing.
Speaker 17: Yeah, they're very small airports that are remotely located and eddy the way they've done it, and it's been it's been a number of years since I've been where I could quote chapter and verse on the Essential Air Service Program. But if it's not within a specific set of miles from another airport a larger city, but some other secondary site that could be pulled upon in the event of an emergency or something, then that's pretty much why it would be be covered under the subsidy. We used to have a lot of these sub steas in the eighties and they went away over the course of time, but we've got a number that are still there and they're needed because, look, airlines are not gonna fly in and out of these somebody smaller remote areas unless.
Speaker 1: They can make money.
Speaker 17: That makes perfect sense. So if the government can say, look, we will pay you, you know, not to get rich, but we will pay it to make it worth your while to operate commercial air service in and out of these remote areas. We need to do so because we're trying to accommodate the you know, the people that are in that part of the of the country, and it's a needed program. I'm not big on subsidies at all, but in a situation like this, where I know airlines would not be there without it, it's good to see because we've seen it happen before, where when the subsidies run out, the airlines say I'm sorry, but we can't stick around, and out they go, and you're left with an airport that is either no air service or maybe just one, and the fares are so high it makes it almost impossible for the average person to fly.
Speaker 1: Right here, right here at Home Jay, at CBG, the Dayton Airport, even you know some of the other airports around that, you know, Greater Cincinnati Dayton folks fly out of any concern about disaffecting flights in and out of those airports. At this point in.
Speaker 17: Time, though, from everything that I'm seeing, in fact, I think we're pretty pretty set here in the state of Ohio, and if I include Cincinnati and on that as far as in Kentucky, I think we're in good, good hands.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 17: That doesn't mean it can't change. That doesn't mean that on a given day there might be a shortage that would cause for some sort of a situation to occur to change where we might see flight activity impacted. We just don't know. But you know, the problem is, if all of this is in fact being generated by a lack of an inadequate number of air traffic controllers, it's going to take us a number of years to get everything back where it should be. In fact, the President Trump's made it one of his priorities to increase the number of people going through the program. That's good to see, but the problem is that we're running out of instructors. They can train these men and women, and from the time somebody steps in the door to become air traffic controller day one, it could be four to five years before they're in their post, working by themselves and ready to assume the full responsibilities of their position. So it's nothing you can speed up. There's no way to collapse those time frames to any significance where we're going to be able to see some immediate relief. Now, the President did talk about bringing in some air traffic controllers from other countries to help the trick, to try to build up the numbers. That would be good. I know in previous shutdowns we have gone towards military air traffic controllers that have come in at certain airports and assisted during the time to try to help keep things rolling. So there are some options, there are not many, and they're not anything really to get excited about, because you know, you're just patching things up and it's not like you can pull air traffic controllers from Dallas to put them in Burbank, or bring people out of Memphis and put them over in Nashville, because all you're doing is reducing the head count these airports, and you know, We had one airport in Europe that had one air traffic controller. Planes are coming into land and they can't because the air traffic controller fell asleep. He was asleep for thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Jay to switch gears here just for a second. You send me a text right before we went on the air a little while ago.
Speaker 17: And you and I am what pressured medicine time?
Speaker 2: Right, you and I have talked about you had made You made the comment and the text actually that you and I had joked about it before. And it's true. If the airlines then they can figure out a way to charge them for something. They're going to now this latest one, do tell what's going to happen next.
Speaker 17: West Jet that's the low cost carrier in Canada, kind of their version of Southwest, but to a much smaller scale. Uh. They have found a way to charge customers more, and it's with reclining seats. You want a reclining seat, you can have one at an additional costs. Now here's the way the airlines are going to sell this. You know, you have all this battles of people putting their seat back and people getting arguments and all this customer service issues. So what airlines are doing. Many of them are saying, look, we're getting airplanes delivered from Boeing and Airbus that you can't reclimb. The seats are going to be reclined just slightly, and everybody's gonna have adequate room. We're no longer going to have this customer service issue.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 17: The kicker is that's how they sell it. But what they're doing is that also gives them additional room in the back to put like an extra row or two in. That's more revenue. Now they can come along and say, we've got twelve premium seats on this plane that actually recline, and they can be yours for an additional cost. So you see how all of this stuff is kind of coming around. And yes, you and I joke for ever Eddie about you know, we can charge for oxygen and all these other kinds of things, but reclining seats is now considered a premium product on commercial aviation. That's why, guys, you will never hear me the asinine words of I've seen it all or I've heard it all, because that's not the case. In fact, you can you can google this story. An airport in Lithuania was. I think thirty flights were impacted because smuggler balloons were in the air smuggling cigarettes, and it shut down a bunch and shut down the airport. Uh so, yeah, we had a delay due to cigarettes and Lithuania. So that's why I never run out of saying I've done this for thirty three years. You never run out of things to talk about.
Speaker 1: Uh no, you don't all right with that?
Speaker 2: Jay again, like you just said, every time I want to say, I think I've heard it all. Next next week. Yeah, hey buddy, it's always a pleasure of things anytime. Guys, thanks our good friend Jay radof our aviation guy here at the Big One. But yeah, I'll pay extra to have somebody not lean their seat.
Speaker 1: Back in my face. What's what in saying that? I was shocked? And I don't lie very much. You know, a couple of times a year after that, but on Continent or Continental United was Continental, they were handing out like free headphones that you could watch the watch movies for free, and then they were they give you the full can of coke zero or sprite or whatever. I was like, were we back in time here? Like no extra charge? And I was like just something change or is that just united?
Speaker 2: But I know that everybody, they all they all, yeah, they give you headphones, I think, to just keep you just shut your hell up, all right. Then they don't charge it for movies anymore. They don't charge it for to call it you like four bucks or something on this. They just give it to you, okay, yeah, just they just they just play your headphones in watch Seinfeld for two hours, whatever the hell you want to do.
Speaker 1: It's just kind of worked into yours. You paid up front, sure, there you go.
Speaker 2: They charge that extra fifty dollars to give you the you know, seventy five cent they give you, yeah, of course. And with that we check in with traffic and weather. What is going on well from.
Speaker 5: The ec Health Traffic Center. Mammograms Save Lives called five win three five eight four pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with UC Health Expert Team five one three five eight four pink. On northward lateral. This is just after Paddock. We've got to break down left lane taken up here, a couple of minute delay and we're looking at delays back to Redding Road. Cruise are there and seventy five southbound between Western Avenue and the Brent Spence Bridge, but a five minute drive. A ten minute trip northbound seventy five Mitchell to Paddock and the work on seventy five southbound Ronald Riggan Highway down to Norwood Lateral. The course is ongoing and we've got slow downs back to Sheppard. It's about an extra ten minutes now and down to seventy five at the Carrol Cropper Bridge. Westbound delays back to the Petersburg exit. Southbound back to U West fifty and Indiana Butt a five minute delay in each direction. Seventy one northbound Smith Edwards Tomadow Rigging Cross County Highway to ten. I'm in a trip. I'm rick Shrimp. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW Weather Center, Ford and I clear skies forty four tomorrow sunshine and sixty six. It is seventy down. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 6: Bengals were down at Joe, so the Orange and Black went out and treated for Joe Flacco. Could this Joe still.
Speaker 1: Throw touchdown out Bengals.
Speaker 6: And bring the Bengals back to their winning waves. Stay tuned for the latest on seven hundred W l JAW home of the Best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 18: On twenty twenty five, iHeartRadio Music Festival presented by.
Speaker 2: Capital Lunch, streaming Holy on Hulu. Right now back with Eddie and Jason Williams in for Rock Today and Jason, we have this big theca's River Roots Festival in town this weekend. The boats are already here, I guess the I don't know the I think the official kickoff is tomorrow, but the boats have already started doing like breakfast, lunch and dinner cruises and stuff.
Speaker 1: Did you ever go to a Tall Stacks back in the day, I mean that was huge back in the day. I remember, like I've seeing posters around going down there.
Speaker 2: I don't think I never took a specials, but I went down there and walked around a few times.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, this is supposed to be a very cool event, and we're going to be talking to Catherine Nero or old Buddy. She now works for Game Day Communications that are handling all the pr for it.
Speaker 1: You got to ask her about the Graceland tour took at Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, in case you didn't know that, I knew that she had spent time in Memphis, but Jason told me last week that she had been a tour guy at Graceland.
Speaker 1: I want to ask her. I believe she grew up in Memphis, That's.
Speaker 2: What I want to say, the same thing. Yeah, but yeah, what's going on with all these big boats? And I saw one of the big giant guys going up the river today. It's very very impressive. Those things are big, man.
Speaker 1: I remember when having grown up in Gallipolis on the river, and like one of those boats would come through and they'd stop and it was just it was just majestic. Oh yeah, a Delta queen, and like everybody would everybody in town would go. My grandparents lived in Middleport, which was right up the river, and it would stop there and the whole town would just come out and just stand there and look at it.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 1: It was a big deal. That's big river river history.
Speaker 2: And I believe she was on one of the boats today. We'll talk to her about it and how cool it is. Yeah, but that's after the news right now. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 6: News Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred w l w D, Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: Ohio's governor orders a ban on certain hemp products. This is the four o'clock report. I'm Matt Reese breaking now. Governor Mike DeWine today ordering a three month ban on intoxicating hemp products like gummies and drinks gum and are trying to pressure the Ohio legislature into passing regulations to protect children.
Speaker 10: This product has no restrictions on where and be sold or who can buy it. Intoxicating hemp has no required regulatory testing at all, and it is sold in packages enticing to children, maytimes mimicking the packaging of common candies.
Speaker 7: The ban on intoxicating hemp products begins next Tuesday, the fourteenth, and only applies to those products that are not sold at licensed dispensaries for marijuana. And now we have the latest on your drive home, latest traffic and weather together from the UC.
Speaker 5: Health Traffic Center. Mammograms Save Lives Call five one three five eight four Pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with U see Health Sex per Team five one three five eight four Pink. Breakdown is cleared from the lift lane, but we are still seeing a bit of a delay. Nor would lateral West found after paddock with the sotoun's back to reading. But again it is an improving picture now seventy five southbound Western Avenue to the Brent Spencers Stop and go at northbound seventy five Sugish between Mitchell and Paddock. Seventy one northbound Smith edwards from Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway by a ten minute drive seventy five. Make that two seventy five Eastpawned seventy five to Lovela Madeira, adding five minutes to your trip. Southbound seventy five Ronald Reagan Highway to Norwood Lateral the southdown's go back to Shepherd extra five minutes through the area and watch for the heavier traffic. Two seventy five East spaun Combes Hill Bridge with the ongoing bridge wark. I'm rick Shrimp News Radio seven hundred w w WELWD.
Speaker 16: Now the latest forecast from the No Feared Dentist Weather Center Advanced Dentistry. The thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck. We're here for you, No Fear Dentist dot com.
Speaker 7: Tonight we have clear skies with the low forty four sunny Tomorrow, sixty five sonny and seventy one on Friday. No rain through the next several days. Saturday, mostly sunny seventy three aren't temperature now seventy and this news is brought to you by aedoor In Window Company. Six people under indivement after an attack on three people on Short Vine in Coryville last month. Hamilton County prosecutor says the victims had refused to hand over a pizza that they had just picked up. Two of the victims were severely injured. Prosecutor Countie Pillage says he's not going to tolerate random attacks on the streets, that everyone should be safe walking home with a late night pizza or enjoying Cincinnati's night life without the fear of being attacked.
Speaker 1: It's been more.
Speaker 7: Than a week since the start of the government's shut down, and lawmakers are not any closer to voting out a budget bill. ABC's j O'Brien says another vote took place in the Senate today, but nobody changed their vote.
Speaker 19: Republicans are dug in, saying that they are not going to negotiate while the government is actively shut down, and the bulk of and Democrats are similarly dug in and said they are not going to budge. They're not going to vote for any temporary piece of government funding legislation unless Republicans commit to tackling this extension of Obamacare tax credits. These are tax credits that are set to expire at the end of this year that, if they do, would cause premiums for roughly twenty million Americans or so to skyrocketnins.
Speaker 7: ABC's Jay O'Brien. Former FBI director James Colby pleading not guilty today to charges related to his twenty twenty testimony before Congress. It's connected to his testimony in five years ago. He's accused of lying to a Senate judiciary committee about leaking information from the FBI's Trump Russia investigation that began in twenty sixteen. Trial for James Comey, set now for January, faces up to five years in prison if convicted. After Dolly Parton's sister posted a message on Facebook asking for prayers for her sister, music legend herself posted a video on Instagram saying she is okay.
Speaker 2: I know lately everybody thinks that I am sicker.
Speaker 1: Than I am.
Speaker 18: Do I look sick to you?
Speaker 2: I'm working hard here anyway. I wanted to put everybody's mind and he use those Obie that seemed to be real concerned, which I appreciate.
Speaker 7: Dolly Partner is seventy nine years old, recently announced she was delaying her Las Vegas residency from December to next fall, after she said she would be undergoing some medical PROCEDURESLW.
Speaker 13: Sports, He's a Bengals Day, brought to you by Good Spirits at Party Town with thirteen locations in northern Kentucky. Joe Flacco, wearing number sixteen, is on the field in his first practice with the Bengals. Head coach Zach Taylor says Flacco will start against the Packers this Sunday in Green Bay, and had unique contact with him after the trade.
Speaker 14: We talked on the phone while he drove. We had somebody to drive him, he and his wife from Cleveland, and so we were able to send him the information to study. Talk to him on the phone as he drove down.
Speaker 13: US in seven hundred Wow Sport f Wall Street.
Speaker 7: We are right at the close and the down's down a point SP five hundred is up thirty nine nastacs up two hundred and ninety six. Next news at four thirty Matt Reeves News Radio seven hundred WLD.
Speaker 18: This report is sponsored by Triple A Tire in Auto Service.
Speaker 1: October is Carcare Month.
Speaker 18: Visit your local Triple A Tire and Auto Service location and save forty dollars on any repair of one.
Speaker 2: And big doings there has in town this weekend. Absolutely, I turned my microphone there. Yeah, it's a cool event down on the river.
Speaker 1: River routes. You now be down there.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow Ovation on the River. Yeah, that's going to be cool and the whole event I was talking earlier. I live now where I can kind of see some of the traffic on the river and saw one of the giant guys going up the river. I think it was for a probably like a lunch cruise. I guess it was midday. And it looks really cool. It looks like it's going to be a big deal. You talked about tall Stacks earlier, and it's in tall Stacks was always huge.
Speaker 1: Celebrating our river is a huge, huge part of our lives here and you know what it's meant to the building of this city and you know, really the whole the whole region.
Speaker 2: Well, uh, here to discuss what exactly is going on all this weekend and it goes on through Sunday, is our good friend Katie Nero. Yeah, Kathy, Catherine heros vice president.
Speaker 18: Since my great aunt Maud called me Katie Bath back in the.
Speaker 2: Day, That's what I was wondering if anybody ever called you Katie, because I've always known you.
Speaker 18: As Catherine's yeah southern, so you have to go with two names. It was Katie bath yees, oh.
Speaker 2: Katie Bath, I kd Bath?
Speaker 17: Can you can you get my glasses over here?
Speaker 2: Would you get my specs?
Speaker 1: Katie, Beth? I gave you a shout out on the air last week with Eddie.
Speaker 18: You know what, Jason. I heard about it, my husband and father in law listening to you guys religiously, and you did and I appreciate it. I'll talk about Gracelynd any day.
Speaker 1: We talk about Gracelynd in a minute. But got a school Eddie on that here. He needs needs some school.
Speaker 2: Well, Jather and his vice president of media for game day communications, they're handling all this, you know, So Catherine, let's talk about what exactly is going on. It's kicked off. Today's the official or tomorrow actually tomorrow morning is the official kickoff?
Speaker 18: Right, Well, today the cruise is kicked off, so there's more than one hundred and sixty cruises over the next five days. The first one, I bet the one you saw that went off with the Tenian cruise on the Natchez. I spent all morning on the matches from like five o'clock on. Those guys are amazing. They're from the from New Orleans. I gave us ben Yet's. They have all this amazing like Dixie Land band playing, And that's kind of what the cool part about America's river roots.
Speaker 1: Did boats.
Speaker 18: For sure, There's lots of other stuff going on, and we'll get to that, I'm sure, but the boats are really cool because they bring their culture from whatever city there were. For example, the Belle of Memphis is here, guys. And if you're wondering, Catherine, did you go take your picture in front of the bell of Memphis? Yes, the Belle of Memphis. In front of the Belle of Memphis.
Speaker 17: Of course I did.
Speaker 18: But yeah, so there's so that boat's got barbecue and fun stuff on it. You've got, you know, some of the cruises they're gonna have like Perogi's on the Three Rivers, Queen from Pittsburgh. So it's just a whole line of just amazing experiences on the river and you get to learn a little bit about the boats and their home ports as well.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you when you're talking about the food on do you have to take a cruise on these boats to get that food or can when they're docked and you do they have like a bar, say that you can walk up to and fetch that food.
Speaker 18: No, you've got to be on those boats to get those that food. However, there are more than forty food offerings down at the river of all different kinds of like backgrounds and nationalities on both sides of the river, and you guys will see that when you're at Ovation coming up tomorrow as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Catherine, I know, you know this is part of America, is really a part of the grand Er two hundred and fiftieth you know celebration. Is this is this a one time event? I know we had tall Stacks forever. I know there's been comparisons of this to tall stacks. It's not tall stacks. It's really more than that. Is this a one time event or do you think this will be? Is this something that could you know, become an annual?
Speaker 18: I think the next four days will tell us that okay, and I think, you know, the original plan was America's two fifty, like we're going to celebrate the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary. We're gonna, you know, there's gonna be a whole big birthday party. And this, by the way, America's River. It's the very first event that is officially an America two fifty event. So America once they starts here in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: That's what you got to think about.
Speaker 18: The party starts here. Yeah, and so yeah, I don't think there's no like finite you know, concrete plans coming up. But you know, again, the next four days, we'll tell you and I'll tell you what's interesting. And yes, not many people are in a boat at four forty five in the morning, but I was. And you could tell by like ten am the festival, like the cruises haven't even started yet, and there's so many people coming down to look at these boats. And that's all those going on today, it's just cruises. And so yeah, you know, it's it's amazing. You cross the river. I live in northern Kentucky, said, I cross the river, and I've seen these amazing boats just like lit up overnight and it's I mean, it's something you don't get this, you literally don't get to see but once in a generation. It hasn't happened since in twenty years, and so yeah, we're just glad that that it's here, that Cincinnati is the place to do it. And what I love is Captain Allen Bernstein from Bbe river Boats. Everyone is giving him the credit. He is getting the credit for this. He was like, he picked up the phone and told seven Boats Institute that he owns, come to Cincinnati in your busiest time of the year, and we're going to make it worth your while.
Speaker 1: And they are.
Speaker 18: Their tickets are going great, and it's just it's exciting to be around these guys. They're all it's a it's not only a family within the boats, but like each boat is sometimes three and four generational. It's really interesting the way it all works out.
Speaker 2: Kather Nero is our guest and Ketherin Let's also we were talking about the entertainment. I think a lot of people got confused when some of the when the when these name acts got canceled as far as is doing the concerts go, but there's going to be plenty of I think people started thinking well, there's not going to be any music or anything. There's going to be plenty of entertainment.
Speaker 18: Correct, Yes, starting tomorrow, Starting tomorrow at eleven am, there's music. There's four free stages. The headliners were canceled and those were like the paid ticketed ones. Now all music is going to be free. And you name a style of river music and it's there, from Americana, foll Country, Dixie Land Rock.
Speaker 1: You name it.
Speaker 18: Four stages on both sides of the river, Yateman's Cove, Public Landing, schmid Lap, and then across the river in Newport. You're going to hear music the entire time during the you know, as you're boarding the cruises, or as you're eating food at you know, from the vendors in Yateman's Cove, or as you're learning. What's also really cool is they have a lot of educational pieces to it, so the ecology of the river. The Freedom Center has some amazing activations happening there where you can learn about the history and the journey of what the river represents. And that's what this is all about. The river connects us and I know in Cincinnati we love to say that river divides. This and every rubber chicken dinner we go to, people are like, well, did you get your passport to come across the river? You know, it's always always like that, but it is, it is really it connects us. And Chillie Kirkpatrick from meeting k Y says this so often, and she's right, there's the river connects us more than it divides us. There's more like with us than there is different. And so we're celebrating all of that as everybody comes, all these nine boats coming to town and these hundreds of thousands of folks and we're excited to host them here.
Speaker 1: Catherine with from a logistics you know, want to come down. I want to see everything. It's on both sides of the river, on the Cincinnati Riverfront the Newport Riverfront. Any suggestions on if you want to see everything and you want to get to both sides of the river, should you do it in two days? Come down to one side of the river one day, the other side the next or can you go is there an easy way to go between? Just park your car and you know, can you shuttle over or is there even a ferry or something?
Speaker 18: Or what you what I would say? I would say two days is probably your best bet. So I'm going to give you two options. One let's say you're like, nope, I only have one day. I would pick a weekday. I would say Thursday or Friday, because I think the crowds are going to be a little bit less. I would park in northern Kentucky because you've got the whole situation in New where there's a bourbon experience. There's a beer garden over there, there's a bottle shop that've got a candy and bourbon like pairing experience. Airheads has a giant hot air balloon and they're given out candy over there, and then you know, then you can walk across the Purple People Bridge where there is an artisan market where fifty makers will be on that bridge give you know, selling everything from clothing to you know, jewelry, you know, soaps and foods and anything like that, all across the river. So it's part of you're literally connecting one side to the other. And then as you get to the other side, you're there near the public land. It gets a little bit of a walk there, but you could get it all done right and you know, and hop on a cruise enjoy it. And in Citaspell. Now, if you had two days, I think I'd do a little of both. You know, go down there, don't do a cruise the first day, get the lay of the land. And by the way, you can walk up and buy tickets for cruises. You can get them online, of course, but there's also an availability down there. If you're like moved in the moment and you're like I got to get on the anson and Betsy North a boat, you can do it right then and there. So yeah, if that's the case, I would check it out that way and maybe spend two days enjoying just about everything. And there's different activities every day too. The best way to figure all that out is the festival app, which you can just search River Roots in your app store and download.
Speaker 2: All right, and it shall be done. And again we're going to Jason and I are going to be doing the show live from ovation on the River. That'll be fun. It's a beautiful thing down there. They've got set up. We're going to be at the market bar. Now, let's switch gears here at Katherine Neiro and talk about you being I. I was pretty sure I've known you for for a minute girl, and uh, a little bit, Yeah, a little bit. And uh, I knew you were from down that way. I don't remember ever hearing that you were a tour guide at Graceland.
Speaker 18: You must not have been listening.
Speaker 1: Lead with that information as well. But I mean you when Earl Love and I had you on our podcast at the Inquiry, you you led with that information it. Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 18: Because, like listen, there's not a lot of people who can lead with the job they had when they were seventeen and people go, really, oh my goodness, don't do that. Yeah. Now, yeah, I was a tour out at Graceland for US several years. I absolutely loved it. I credit that job with being able to talk to any human being, whether they speak English or not, because we had tons of people from overseas who came in to you know, celebrate Elvis during Elvis Week and all that good stuff. I've met so many wonderful people and learned a lot about the King. I'm a big fan. I have an Elvis room in fact in my house.
Speaker 2: Now, did you ever meet any of the family, Did you meet Silla or any of those people along the way.
Speaker 18: Well, okay, I got a good story about Lisa Marie. Not Vernon was long gone before before I got there, but I didn't Lisa Marie one time, so she I was working in the Jungle room as the tour guide there. And at the time that I worked at Graceland, Elvis's aunt Delsa lived in the house, like in the house that is the second busiest house, second most visited house in America behind the White House at the time, that woman lived in there, and I don't know how she did it, but she did. And so Lisa Marie comes. I see this woman and these two children walking through like the private area that only miss Delta can go through, and I'm like, ma'am, man, mam'am, this is not for the guest. Guests must go outside. And she's like, oh, no, it's okay. I'm Lisa. And I was like, I don't Grace, that's your name. And then I looked at her face and you know how much she looked like Elvit And I was like, oh, oh that Lisa. Oh yes, please come on through, so the house that is yours. Please come into the house that I tried to prevent you from coming in Superborian. She was so nice. Yes, exactly she was so nice, but she was going to see her great aunt and yeah, so that, you know, was an experience I'll never forget. It was fantastic.
Speaker 1: I learned so.
Speaker 18: Much about Elvis, about his not just about him, but like the impact he had on people. And this is my favorite fact that I always like to say, Elvis never toured outside the United States, with the exception of three stops in Canada in nineteen fifty seven, and yet every single tour group that came through would have people international visitors. They would have people from Japan and from Germany and from Australia and you name it, you name it, and it's like, how did they like And there would be people that weren't even born when he died in nineteen seventy seven. So it's like that means it's a generational thing. Your your mom or your grandma or your grandpa introduced you to this, and now it's going. It has created an entire business. And this is the craziest part. My sister met her husband who was from Australia because he was in town to visit Graceland. That's how they met. And now they live in Australia happily ever after.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 1: Graysland needs to hire you and game day because I want to go to river and.
Speaker 2: I want to take I actually wanted to take a boat down two months and.
Speaker 18: Had it down there. Eddie, we can do it. It only takes like six days.
Speaker 2: It'll be fine, all right, Thanks Bud, We'll see you down there. Are our good friend Catherine Nera.
Speaker 1: You feel a little you feel a little extra energized after you talk to Catherine. Oh it's like remember when she was in the morning show and You're like, oh, yeah, well.
Speaker 2: Like I said, and I've know her forever, and my wife used to used to work with her a long time ago, and so I got to know her a little bit, and i'd remember being from I'm sure somewhere along the way that the Graceland thing came out, but hell, that was a long time ago.
Speaker 1: The great John Popovich brought hired her. She was originally in sports for WCPO. Remember that.
Speaker 2: With that, we check in with traffic and weather. What is going on from the UC Health Traffic Center.
Speaker 5: Mamma Graham Safe Lives called five point three five eight four Pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with the UC Health Sexpert Team five one, three, five eight four pink Well seventy five North Bomb before nor was lateral crash on the left shoulder coal rain at West four kits An accident. Thanks for the tip, CAULP. We have police there and on seventy five we're looking at so Down's north baumb Mitchell to paddock In southbound from the viaduct down to the Brent Spence Bridge, about a ten minute trip in each direction. Two seventy five filling an eastbound between seventy five and Lovelo Madeira and seventy one North Dana Toronald Rigan Cross County Highway, It's about a fifteen minute trip. I'm Rick Shrimp News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW Weather Center Ford and I clear Skies forty four tomorrow sunshine and sixty six. It is seventy down News Radio, seven hundred Wlw's.
Speaker 6: It true Tom Brenneman names his pants and his favorite is called Percy? That is not true? Is it true that as a child Tom Brenneman hit under the covers and listen to the radio and he's incredible hulk jammies?
Speaker 1: Well that's one of those yes and those sort of things.
Speaker 6: It's a true Tom Brenneman bus. These buns to start your day, right, That's true and I'm proud of it. Join me for the latest news, traffic from Chuck Ingram, weather from Jennifer Ketchmark, plenty of laughs and a whole lot more Tom Brenneman tomorrow morning at five am on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: This report is sponsored by One Hour Heating and air Conditioning. School has started, but summer temps are still here. Stay cool with one Hour air Conditioning and Heating. They can report.
Speaker 2: Back with Eddie and Jason Williams in for Rocky Today. So the big news yesterday Jase in the sports world was the Blacko moved to Cincinnati from Cleveland and apparently he had a hitchhike down here. I'm not sure about that. He kindly trucker picked him up on seventy one and brought him down here short drive. Here to discuss with us is Mike Petrelia from cl NS Media, the Jungle Roar podcast and on and on tracks. So let's let's talk about it. It's been broken down into the national media and nobody's impressed so far. Your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Well, here's what I think. If Joe Flaco has time to throw the ball down field, I think he's going to be able to push the ball further downfield to the targets that you paid two hundred and seventy five million dollars YEP or invested two hundred and seventy five million dollars in back in March. And that's obviously Jamar Chase and T Higgins. That wasn't the case with Jake brown and I think the optics in the Bengals front office after watching the game against the Lions, it was clear to them not only was Shake Browning not taking care of the football, which he phoned up to today in the locker room, and we can get to that in just a moment, but he wasn't able to push the ball down the field make the strong throats. Joe Flacco is forty years of age, going to be forty one very shortly, but he still has a rock and arm and he showed that off today a little bit from what we saw in practice, and the Bengals are hopefully going to are hopeful to provide him the time to throw the ball down field to the targets that they invested so much money in.
Speaker 1: Well tracks just kind of backing up on them. Did you generally like, you like this move?
Speaker 3: I guess it was the best move that the Bengals could make. The Bengals had to make a move, and when people ask me that I like and it was the best. It was the most realistic move they could make. They weren't going to get Russell Wilson because Russell Wilson doesn't have the knowledge of the Bengals offense, and I don't think the Bengals felt that he could pick up the offense the way he would have to playing for Zach Taylor. Whereas Zach Taylor looks at Joe Flacco and says, you know, he's not the most mobile, He's not a mobile quarterback, but he understands what I'm calling in terms of plays, and he can make that part of the offense at least function with Jamar or with the Russell Wilson, Jamis Winston, maybe even Andy Dalton. I thought was a possibility. They didn't. Yeah, and I thought so too. And we really didn't get into that this afternoon with Zach Taylor, nor would I expect him to answer that Forthrightly, I don't blame him, but there were many options. Oh and Kirk Cousin that contract was prohibited that they were never going to take on the one hundred million dollars or whatever it is left on that field that they would have to eat. They're not going to do that. So with all of those options available, Joe Blacco was the best remaining And do I think a movement needed to be made, Yes, after watching what we've watched the last three games, after Joe Burrow went on insured they had to do something. They couldn't just sit back and go, well, well, take our you know, take our shot with Jake Browning and hope that things get better. And this is a bottom line industry, and the Bengals knew that. The Bengals knew that they had to do something to keep themselves afloat, especially in a season where the Ravens and Browns are one and four, the Steelers or whatever four and one. But nobody believes that that's going to last. So the Bengals have an opportunity if they can get their ship righted, if they can win five or six games without Joe Burrow and well by the time he comes back, they can fight for a division title, get to the playoffs and see what happens.
Speaker 1: How much I mean was a part of this trags? I know it. You know, there's a list of things, but is one of the fact that the Bengals are desperate for a win. They're playing Green Bay this week, and that Flacco beat green and he wasn't exactly spectacular, but he does know their scheme and everything, and that he did beat them a few weeks ago with the Browns, did that play and knowing how big of a game this is and it's did any of that play into this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great point. And Zach Taylor made reference to that that yes, he's already prepared for green Bay once this season, so that game plan has certainly freshened his mind. That gives him a running start this week, There's no question about that. But you know, in that Green Bay game, the Packers were a had ten nothing with about four and a half minutes to go. Every that was and then the Packers felt destructed. And the give credit to the Browns for their only win over a very quality team. But you know, let's not make too much of the Packer of Browns feeding the Packers with Flaco, because Baco this year has not been He actually has worse numbers overall than Jake Browning if we're being honest, if we're being brutally honest, this move was made one because of the strength of his throwing arm, his ability to push the ball down the field, his veteran experience. He has eighteen years of NFL experience, and maybe most of all, there's a different energy in the locker room today when you walk in and say, hey, we've got a guy that has a Super Bowl ring in his cachet on his resume. So there is that. So the Bengals at least give him credit for bringing in somebody with a resume that has a lot of respect to command the room well.
Speaker 2: And also, guys, let's talk about the fact that the natives here in town, and by that I'm talking about the fans were getting restless real quick.
Speaker 3: Oh, there's no question about that, and they're going to continue to get wrestless if the offensive line doesn't improve its performance. It was a bit better last week, believe it or not. And Orlando Brown and Ten Carris made reference to this this afternoon that they can you know, slowly feel the offensive line getting better road this week. It can't slowly get better. It has to be significantly better. And for the love of Pete, it's got to run the football. If you're going to protect and give Joe Placo any chance of play action, which he's very, very good at, if you're going to give him any chance of running that part of the Bengal offense, you've got to run the ball. And you know, I was talking with one offensive lineman today who said that, you know, we ran the ball ten times for whatever it was, seventy yards. We're starting to pick things up at the run game. We just have to give our selves a chance to run the ball more. And obviously, when you fall down twenty eight to three, how many chances we're going to get to run the ball. Not many. But if you play a competitive game with Green Bay, ideally, guys, what should happen Sunday is they keep it close. They slow the game down, much like the Browns didn't with the Packers a couple of weeks ago. Slow the game down, run the ball effectively, give Joe Placo a chance to make a couple of play action passes downfield at Jamar and t and not turn the ball over. You check all those boxes, and it's a lot to check, but you check all those boxes, you've got a chance to win.
Speaker 2: Sunday, we're talking to Mike Montrelia Trags. You mentioned earlier Jig Browning in the locker room. What did he have to say, Well.
Speaker 3: He said he was pissed off, There's no question about it. He's up that he's had a not a good week and he understands, but he understands the business of the NFL. Read between the lines. He realizes that a lot of this falls on his shoulders, but not all of it because the quote, I'll i'll paraphrase the quote here. I was told before some games that we've got to do more to help you out, and then I go out and have two and a half bad quarters and they decided they had to make a move that I just tweeted out the video of that from the locker room. He can go check it out on my X speed t R A G S Trag and yeah, it's right, and it's up there. And I found those comments pretty telling. That's where Jake Browning's mindset is at. He knows he did not play well He knows he he threw six touchdowns but eight interceptions. He knows he didn't take care of the football, but he also realizes the offensive line was not good and the run game was non existent.
Speaker 1: Along those lines to tracks, you know, when you look at do you think if the AFC weren't so wide open that the Bengals front office would have said, non, We're just gonna stick with Jake or the fact that I mean, look at Kansas City two and three, look at Baltimore and look at their own division. Really it's wide open. Still as bad as the Bengals have been losing by twenty five points a game on average the last three weeks, they're two and three, and you know, the Steeler or the Ravens are one and four. The Steelers are three and one. They're beatable. You look around the AFC. It is really wide open.
Speaker 3: It is. And if you make an effort to stay competitive in these weeks without Burrow, then you've got a chance to win the division. You win the division, you get one home game, and then you build someone And look, we all know how the Bengals played last year with Joe Burrow in the final five weeks in.
Speaker 5: The end.
Speaker 3: We all talked about how they rued those losses that one and four start or one in three start last year before they finally got the engine going. They don't want to go through that again. But again, if you want Joe Burrow to play a whole season, you've got to have a better offensive line. And you know, we talked about the slow start all of our last offseason. This offseason we're going to be talking about the offensive line again and how they need to rebuild it. I guarantee you that is going to happen because the poor offensive line, directly or indirectly a little bit of both led to Joe Burrow getting hurt.
Speaker 1: No doubt.
Speaker 2: Well, we're talking to a world where the NFL right now, one of the teams, the big team right now seems to be the Jack and Ville Jaggs guys. And that that game the other night against the Chiefs Man, that ending thing. H if you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor, because that was like the Keystone Cops with the three stooges make stand youth football. It really did. It looked like you, well.
Speaker 1: They can't get back up and run off the ground, but.
Speaker 2: Just tew you designed it, uh with the with that trags, We'll let you go, buddy.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, guys, have a good one and thanks for having.
Speaker 2: Me take tracks. Thanks good stuff, Mike Petrolia. Yeah, but that do yourself a favor. I just happened. I'm with the bed and I'm just gonna sit here and watch the end of this game. And I thought, well, of the Chiefs got this thing in the bag, and then all of a sudden the Jags catch fire and get down there. And then that last that last play, I was like, I literally was laughing sitting on the couch.
Speaker 1: Well, and then right and I was against the Chiefs the fact they couldn't get to them. And then you're sewing like the fact that the Jacksonville Jaguars are four and one. They have tied for the best record, yeah in the AFC or really in the NFL with several teams, but that that alone, because that's not a very good team. Well their defense anyway, their offense is pretty good. And you're like, if that's the first place team in the AFC, like, okay, I mean if you're the Bengals, and credit to them, Like we're not throwing the talon just yet.
Speaker 2: Here, No point it with that. We check in with traffic and weather, what is going on from the UC.
Speaker 5: Health Traffic Center Mammogram Saved Lives called five win three five eight four pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with UC Hell's expert team five one three five eight four pink. Seventy five north bound before Norwid Lateral accident down the left shoulder, right and the left shoulder also taking up a bunch of seventy five eastbound at Ward's Corners. We're getting update on this traffic heavy from Bosteller now cole Rain southbound at west Fork accident here and writing at north Cut is a crash as well, and crews are getting that cleaned up. Seventy five northbound in southbound suggish for southbound from the Vine doct to the Brent Spence and northbound between Mitchell and Paddock. And we have a seventy one selling northbound between Dana and Ronald riag And Cross County Highway that's up to a bond a twenty minute trip at a ten minute delay on seventy five south Ronald rag And Highway to Norwood Lateral due to the roadwork and south Down's to Shepherd. I'm rich. Rapidues Radio seven hundred double D wild W.
Speaker 2: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW Weather Center, Ford and I clear skies forty four tomorrow sunshine and sixty six. It is seventy down. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 18: I can't count on my husband, but I can count on Willie.
Speaker 1: Willy is here for you.
Speaker 7: I just want to curl up in his arms and hear his words.
Speaker 1: Here to soothe your fears.
Speaker 8: Suite me, Bill Cunningham, soothe me.
Speaker 5: Here to stand strong like the great American that I am.
Speaker 1: I'm not joking. I'd drink his dirty bathwater me too. All you have to do is listen to me the great amount.
Speaker 18: Bill Cunningham tomorrow at twelve noon on seven hundred W l W.
Speaker 8: This report is sponsored by Staples Q the Easy Button.
Speaker 2: All right back with Eddie and Jason just a little while longer, Son, We got to get ready and head to tomorrow. We're gonna be We're going to be down on the on the river front at Ovation there in Newport.
Speaker 1: I've driven, I've driven through Ovation, but I've never stopped and taken in any of the places there. So I'm looking forward to it. It's the River Roots.
Speaker 2: Festival and that'll be neat Market Bar area is where we're going to be, and we're gonna be talking obviously to some of the people. And we got one of your Inquirer compadre. Yeah, we're gonna be talking about and that was cool. I saw some of the articles Thatevid written about Cincinnati's connection to the river, and obviously we all pretty much know that, but just some of the ins and outs of how important Cincinnati was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jeff Ceese, he writes a lot of history pieces for the inquire Cincinna dot com and you know, this is right up his alley and just just done great job with that. Check those stories out on Cincinna dot com and he you know, we we love our history here, whether it's sports, uh, the river history, and he always has great insightful pieces on when things are coming up to look back in a retrospective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we uh, well, of course, since it's Thursday too, we're gonna do a bit with your one of your other compadres, our good friend Jason Hoffman.
Speaker 1: It's the Cincinnati dot Com Show, Yeah, sponsored by w l W correct.
Speaker 2: But we're gonna be doing our usual Thursday betting the Pickham Yeah, the Pickham Show.
Speaker 1: Jay knows the stuff. Man.
Speaker 2: Now you hang out with well you obviously you guys work together, but you you do hang out out with him a bit.
Speaker 1: We don't mean we don't hang out.
Speaker 2: But going out to the bars and onenot. You know, we don't go to the casino with him. Yeah, we talked regularly, and uh, we were talking shop. He and I were on the phone last night late breaking down the are each sharing our thoughts with each other on the whole Joe Flacco trade and yeah, kind of just spitballing story ideas and what that's going to mean or not mean or yeah. Well, uh, I'll be curious to uh to talk to him tomorrow and get and I want to hear what his thoughts on it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I am too. I'm curious to hear. I'm curious to hear his pick on this, like, you know what what he he and I didn't talk about that. What you know, Flacco could do just specifically Sunday, but uh, or you know, in terms.
Speaker 2: Of how it affects the line and what I'm curious. I'm curious myself because I don't know if you if you read the story or not, but some apparently some of the ESPN guys, yeah right, totally flaying it.
Speaker 1: I mean, and you know, on the surface as it is, like, yeah, is it gonna move the need? I mean, I'm probably not, but I like that the Bengals are trying something. This is not this is like they're not you know, they're not just sitting on their hands and thinking like you know, Jake Browning is somehow going to just magically, you know, get them out of this mess. So at least they're trying something new and you can you consider and critique it or whatever, but the fact that they rarely do.
Speaker 2: This can go Yeah, all right with that, Well, we were trying to talk football right now. Let's talk some football all right, back with Eddie and Jason just a little while longer. So we got to get ready and head to tomorrow. We're going to be We're going to be down on the on the riverfront at Ovation there in Newport.
Speaker 1: I've driven, I've driven through Ovation, but I've never stopped and taken in any of the places there. So I'm looking forward to it. It's the River the River Roots Festival, and that'll be neat.
Speaker 2: Market Bar area is where we're going to be and we're gonna be talking obviously to some of the people. And we got one of your inquirer uh compadre. Yeah, we're gonna be talking about and that was cool. I saw some of the articles Thatevid written about Cincinnati's connection to the river and obviously we all pretty much know that, but just some of the ins and outs of how important Cincinnati was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jeff Cees, he writes a lot of history pieces for the inquire Cincinna dot com and you know this is right up his alley and just just done great job with that. Check those stories out on Cincinna dot com. And he you know, we we love our history here, whether it's sports, uh, the river history. And he always has great insightful p on when things are coming up to look back in a retrospective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we uh. Well, of course, since it's Thursday too, we're going to do a bit with your one of your other compadres, our good friend Jason Hoffman.
Speaker 1: It's a Cincinnati dot com show sponsored by.
Speaker 2: W l W Correct but we're going to be doing our usual Thursday betting the pick Yeah, the Pickham Show.
Speaker 1: Jay knows the stuff. Man.
Speaker 2: Now you hang out with well you obviously you guys work together, but you you do hang out with them a bit.
Speaker 1: We don't mean we don't hang out on.
Speaker 2: Going out to the bars and onnot. You know, we don't go to the casino with him. Yeah, we talked regularly and uh, we were talking shop. We He and I were on the phone last night late breaking down the are each sharing our thoughts with each other on the whole Joe Flacco trade and yeah, kind of just spitballing story ideas and what that's going to mean or not mean or yeah. Well, I'll be curious to talk to him tomorrow and get and I want to hear what his thoughts on it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I am too. I'm curious to hear I'm curious to hear his pick on this, Like, you know, what what he and I didn't talk about that what you know Flacco could do just specifically Sunday, but or you know, in terms.
Speaker 2: Of how it affects the line and what I'm curious. I'm curious myself because I don't know if you if you read the story or not. But some apparently some of the ESPN guys totally flaying it.
Speaker 1: I mean, and you know, on the surface as it is, like, yeah, is it gonna move the need? I mean, I'm probably not. But I liked that the Bengals are trying something. This is not this is like they're not you know, they're not just sitting on their hands and thinking like, you know, Jake Browning is somehow going to just magically, you know, get them out of this mess. So at least they're trying something new and you can you consider and critique it or whatever, but the fact that they rarely do this.
Speaker 2: Can go Yeah, all right with that, Well, we were trying to talk football right now. Let's talk some football.