Speaker 1: Six nine in the Queen City of Cincinnati, chick Ludwig, seven hundred wl W. This is Sports Talk Shoeless. Joe Waddell is tonight's producer. We're going all the way to nine fifteen and that means three hours and fifteen minutes of fun. But first things first, don't forget to set your alarm clocks back for an extra hour of sleep tonight as we transition from Daylight Savings time to standard time starting at two am on Sunday. And what a day it's been, What a week it's been, What a night it will be. And there's a lot to sort through with every Saturday feeling like a January one football Bowl day, and that includes today as our show tonight bleeds right into our coverage of the Big twelve Conference showdown between the number seventeen you see Bearcats and the number twenty four Utah Utes at Rice Echles Stadium in Salt Lake City, Utah. Kickoff is ten fifteen tonight, and you can hear the game right here on the Big One seven hundred WLW. ESPN's College Game Day was at Utah this morning and the scene outside Rice Eclels Stadium was absolutely insane with the ute meter registering ear splitting decibels in preparation for this game. And not only do sports fans have UC in Utah football tonight, but we have Game seven of the World Series between the visiting Los Angeles Dodgers and the Toronto Blue Jays colliding in the winner take all game at Toronto's Rogers Center. I'm told that the US audience has been hitting the snooze button, but in Canada and Japan, viewership has been a global success for Major League Baseball and last night's Game six was must see TV. It's the Los Angeles Dodgers pulled out a three to one victory to tie this series up at three games apiece. Game six, Jay's leading the series three games to two, but they got to come back, or try to from a three to one deficit. Bottom of the ninth, Alejandro Kirk, the Blue Jays catcher, gets hit by a pitch and pinch runner Miles Straw takes his place at first base, no outs. Then Addison bam bam Barger hits a line drive in the gap at left center. It will score one run, possibly two to tie the game, but no, the ball gets caught under the outfield wall on the fly. It's a ground rule double. Runners are on second and third base, still no outs, and then Dodgers manager Dave Roberts, as if he was touched on the shoulder by an angel, makes a pitching change for the ages. He calls on Tyler glass Now to replace Roki Sazaki. Three pitches later, the game is over. Ernie Clement pops out to Freddie Freeman on the first pitch, one out. Then Andrei's Jim Andez steps to the plate and after taking a ball, he hits a low line drive to left center. Looked like it was going to fall in, but no keyth k Hernandez picks it off for out number two and then heads up play. He fires to a covering Miguel Rojas at second base. Bam bam. Barger was too far off second base. He leaked off too far, tried to get back but couldn't double play. Game over. Did you watch? I did, Must see TV? But it sets up a winner take all Game seven tonight. Wow, what a night you see football? In Game seven of the World Series. And we'll get into some Bengals conversation after we take this break, because tomorrow dare we say it a must win game for your Cincinnati Bengals. To fall three and six with a loss done, heason over. But if they can manage to claw, kick, fights, scratch and claw out of victory over the Chicago Bears tomorrow to get the four and five at their bye week, maybe they're still hope. But what I want to know is what did last week's game do to you as a fan? It left me and others absolutely numb. And that includes the host of sports talk on seven hundred WLW during the week, the incomparable Lance McAllister. Hey, if you want to dial into the show, it's easy. Five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred. The big one bottom of the hour Bruce Kozerski, Bengals legend. He's going to join me tomorrow at Wings and Rings Oakley for Bengals post game Sports Talk from five thirty to eight thirty. That's tomorrow, and Bruce is going to join us right here on the air seven hundred WLW at six thirty five after the bottom of the hour news, I want to know, did you watch the World Series last night? Game six? And what did the Bengals loss do to you? After they fell to the New York Jets last Sunday five one, three, seven, four, nine, eight hundred The Big One. This is the Chickster, chicklud Wig Sports Talk till nine to fifteen tonight on seven hundred WLW. Welcome back to sports talk here on seven hundred WLW with your host Chick Ludwig. And before we go to the phones and we appreciate the callers. With Lance McAllister's permission to read his blog post from seven hundred WLW dot com and he also posted it on his Facebook page. Sunday Cincinnati Bengals lost did something to me. It made me wonder if I'm doing this wrong. I rode the fast start wave of two to zero. I crashed midway through Week two with the devastation of the Joe Burrow injury. I got worn watching a four game losing street. Following the win over the Steelers, I allowed myself to plot a path to a five and four record at the bye and start constructing a bridge to the potential mid December return of Burrow. Then Sunday happened. I felt cuss out loud, angry Sunday night. I asked myself why I allow all of this to bother me. The team lacks enough talent. It's not a team as much as a couple of great players, a handful of decent players, a group of just guys, and a smattering of never will be's. This team can't tackle the most basic of NFL exercises. Words like accountability are thrown around weekly, but never applied to anyone above the players. We were sold this season under the guys that won. Lou An Arumo was the problem, and two the young guys would get better, and three the bad luck of a year ago would even out this season. The result, they sacrificed a good man that has found success in Indianapolis, while the defense has been revealed as the worst in the league. Year six of Burrow could be the third straight missing the playoffs. That doesn't make me sad, it makes me furious. The de facto GM operates behind a curtain, leaving the coach as the face and explainer of all my talking points about Zach the play caller are yellowed, fading, and crinkled from so much use. Yes, they've lost five of six, but they sit just a game and a half back of Pittsburgh in a wide open division. Nine opportunities remain, and Joe Flacco has infused optimism into a dire situation. And I find hope in seeing Burrow walk the sidelines without a protective boot. Come Sunday, I'll be locked in again, like all the previous games over fifty plus years. I'll talk about them, I'll take your calls about them. But when the Bengals lost Sunday, something changed. I wonder if it's worth getting upset anymore. Maybe I'm just tired of putting in more than I'm getting out with all of this. How about you? I was absolutely numb. I was broadcasting live Bengals postgame sports talk at the Wings and Rings on Beachmont Avenue. I had to leave the Miamisburg war Room after the third quarter, and then I'm listening to the broadcast, and I just knew you could see it coming. With a two point conversion by the Jets coming within six and then the Bengals going three and out, you could see it coming. Bengals lose thirty nine to thirty eight, leaving me numb and Lance McAllister's post on the money, Let's go out to the phones. Dennis is in Bellbrook. Dennis how are you doing tonight?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: Awesome?
Speaker 3: Brother?
Speaker 4: How are you doing?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: Fantastic?
Speaker 5: Hey? The guy who spot on Lance's spot on everything took the family out once a year, we'll go to the Bengals game, go all out. I dropped a pretty good coin on this game. Family of five. My son, my nine year old, was devastated. He was crying at the end of the game. He's like, Daddy, why don't they tackle?
Speaker 4: Why are they letting them go? I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 5: So it's hardening, man, it's disheartening as a Bengal fan. Been doing this stuff for forty fifty years now, it's like, you know what's going on here?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 1: And Dennis, what hurt What hurt me most of all was the fact that it was the Ring of Honor game. Was so many Bengals emagends and alumni back for that game.
Speaker 3: Amen.
Speaker 5: Amen, It's yeah, it's just devastating.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: My wife, uh, you know, I got her into the Bengals fan thing, and once they scored that two point conversion, once they overturned it was a replay, you know, they went over. She goes there to lose, and I go oh my god, no, please no, And then yeah, my family was actually devastated. It was it was not a good thing by poor son, God bless him. He was his crying nine year old. You know, you're like, why aren't they stopping him? Why aren't they you know, why aren't they tackling I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Oh so anyway, hey, thank you so much. All right, hey you bet, let's go out to Kevin in Columbus, our good friend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, with or without Burrow. You know, it's it's the same basic problem.
Speaker 1: You do.
Speaker 3: You know that, and we must be setting some kind of record for scoring thirty points or more and still losing. You know, they keep a stat like that, But it is that they could have lost the Pittsburgh game the same way. They're lucky, and we were hoping they'd pull that game Sunday out just left the Pittsburgh game. But you know, living like this is it just how can you win consistently when you can't stop anyone?
Speaker 1: Even though.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the worst team in the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even the Jets. I was happy as an Ohio State fan. I was happy for Justin Fields. He got ripped apart by the owner, by the owner and then the center starting center for the Jets. Josh Myers from Miamisburg High School. UH know him personally, uh, Ohio State.
Speaker 3: Star.
Speaker 1: And then four years with the Green Bay Packers. They chose not to re sign him, so he's on a one year prove it deal and uh, I find myself rooting hard for Josh Myers, and uh but Owen seven. You know how this league is, Kevin, You know how this league is at Owen seven. The league wants that team to win. And in a way, you know, stunned. I was upset, But at the same time, it's the NFL. It's any given Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yep, Hey, can I say one more thing? And you're saying this about the Bengals, it's the same with the Reds all.
Speaker 6: Season, you know, oh yeah, yo.
Speaker 3: They have hope and they all were crushed and it's all back and forth, you know.
Speaker 1: And I wonder if they're not cursed, does it go back to the bo Jackson curse?
Speaker 3: Yeah, who knows. But again, I'll be listening Sunday, just like when the Reds come around. I'll be you know, oh yeah, oh yeah, Oh. I should just do chores forget baseball. Forget football, right, But I guess we're addicted, right, I'll speak for myself.
Speaker 1: Are yeah, absolutely? Are Yeah? Another day? Yeah, thanks so much, Kevin, Yeah, I can Rake leaves another day up to Dayton Austin. Hey, Austin, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: That game Sunday was Oh that was a heartbreaker. I mean it's just crazy. You know, when a football team scores thirty eight points, you know, you would think you're winning.
Speaker 1: You know, well, in the Bengals record prior to last season scoring thirty eight points, what fifty four and four and now they're like one in three in the last two.
Speaker 7: Years, right, And it's just it's breaks my heart, you know, because we have such great generational talent with Jamar Chase, Joe Burrow, and I feel like, you know, to an extent, it's it's almost like they're just being wasted away. And you know, I hope and I you know.
Speaker 3: The day that.
Speaker 7: You know, they leave the Bengals, it's it's gonna hurt me a lot, you know, I hope they're around forever. But at the same time, like you know, I don't know, it's I guess it's the curse of being a Cincinnati fan.
Speaker 1: Right, you're absolutely right. And hey, Joe Burrow, all right, he's twenty eight years old, but he gets ready to turn twenty nine on December tenth, so he's approaching the thirty year old mark.
Speaker 3: You know it?
Speaker 1: Just you want them to win a Super Bowl so bad during the Joe Burrow era. And I just hope his words were prophetic when he said the windows always open as far as uh, as long as he's the quarterback. Let's just as Bengals fans, let's hope so right, I agree, all right, man Austin, appreciate you. Yep, thank you, thank you. And tomorrow the Chicago Bears Caleb Williams as the quarterback. He's a playmaker, he can extend plays. He's dangerous. The Chicago Bears are dangerous. What's going to happen if the Bears come in here and beat the Bengals tomorrow and the Bengals fall to three and six? Do we start planning for the draft next year?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 1: The trade deadline's coming up on Tuesday? Is it time to ship out Trey Hendrickson and Logan Wilson, two leaders on this defense? Bengals don't make too many in season trades, and that will be something to really really watch for if they would pull the trigger and pull off a trade. All I know is tomorrow is a must win. They've got to get to four and five at their bye week and then get ready to play oh on the road the Pittsburgh Steelers. And oh, by the way, Lamar Jackson is back for the Baltimore Ravens and that team is going to get healthy in a hurry. Hey, have we reached the bottom of the hour? News? Bruce Kazerski, Bengals legend, joins the Chickster next on seven hundred WLW six point thirty eight in the Queens City of Cincinnati. Chick Ludwig, seven hundred WLW. We're trying to hook up here with Bengals legend Bruce Kazerski, and Bruce is at a function tonight at Holy Cross High School in northern Kentucky. He said he would step out and talk to us. So we're trying to hook up with Bruce here and Bruce and I will be co hosting Bengals postgame sports talk tomorrow live on seven hundred WLW and Cincinnati's ESPN fifteen thirty from Wings and Rings in at Oakley, So looking forward to that. But once again Bengals at three and five against the Bears four and three. Okay, so we're trying to hook up with Bruce and until then, Hey, the Bengals, what did last week do to you? It absolutely left me numb, you know, following this team since its inception in nineteen sixty eight and then twelve years on the Bengals beat for the Dayton Daily News, and I batted about one AOI won about thirty percent of the games when and I was on the beat. So tomorrow is very, very important and a handful of guys who are going to play a key role in this game tomorrow. With starter DeAndre Swift out for the Chicago Bears, the running back Kyle Menoinge is is going to be huge. Can the Bengals tackle him? The tackling is like the worst part of this defense. And it was a touchdown run last week by the Jets where the running back goes over the left side of the line and the Bengals had overloaded the other side, and you could see it as plain as day as the play was developing. I'm there, get those guys over on the other side. Touchdown. Incredible and it just hurt the way the Bengals melted down in the fourth quarter twenty three points. Well, hey, we've hooked up here with with Bruce Kazerski. Bruce, thanks so much, thank you for your patience and great to have you back on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: Chick let's look get it, let's get it on again. Another another opportunity here. I'm going to be very positive right now. Yes, very positive. I think we got we can really do this this weekend.
Speaker 1: Fantastic And Bruce, tell the listeners where you are. I know you're in a fundraiser for a very important important role tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm run.
Speaker 9: A sports FLIC fundraiser for Holy Cross High School in Coverington. I'm sitting just opposite the gymnasium in my classroom where I teach physics and calculus.
Speaker 4: And I pulled away for a few minutes to handle the chickster.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. And Bruce, you're teaching the high powered physics uh in math man, it's uh. I go back to what John Kittn has said, being a math major at Eastern Washington helped him as a quarterback with all the angles and everything. Did it help you as an offensive lineman?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 9: It was incredible. The logic, the logic of math and science has helped me every everywhere I went, you know, in the NFL playing center, and you you know, our our partner Dave Lapan can tell us, can tell you the same thing. You've got to be smart, and you got to be intuitive. You got to know what's coming. And the only way to do that is to be educated.
Speaker 4: Uh. And and that's that's why I made it.
Speaker 9: I'm from a small college in Worcester, Massachusett, Holy Cross College in Worstern, Massachusetts. And I made it because I was smart, could handle the playbook and handle all the adjustments and get the word out both right and left. And and I'm very proud of that fact.
Speaker 1: When I when I substitute teach in either math or science, and I'm more of a language arts guy, of course, and history. I say science is everywhere, and I say it in math too, Math is everywhere. So and it's so true, it's so true.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And the kids, the kids wonder when they're going to use this stuff, right, They have no idea that everything everything they do in life.
Speaker 4: Involves some type of.
Speaker 9: Math and science and the common sense of either one.
Speaker 1: Well, math teachers want, uh, you know, not just the correct answer, but all the steps that get you there. And I tell them, you're going to run into problems, you know, in life, and you've got to go about them systematically to get the answer. It's that same.
Speaker 9: Maybe one of the most maybe one of the most important parts about both of these subjects is is the the order of operations and the logic, the ability to analyze the situation and then create or synthesize the solution.
Speaker 4: That will do the job.
Speaker 9: You know, it may not be the best solution, but but there might be many good solutions, and all would did do is sympthesize one that works. And that's where we are. Physics is the study of common sense.
Speaker 4: That's what I mador in college.
Speaker 1: Fantastic stuff. You're Bruce, And I asked fans out there, what did last Sunday's loss due to them? I know it left me numb, It left Lance McAllister Gosha cussing out loud, angry, and what did it do to you? And what was so upsetting for me was the fact that so many Bengals alumni were there to honor Dave Lapham and leaping Lamar Parrish for the Ring of Honor, and uh, gosh that it just killed me to see that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the wins in this league are so hard to come by, and as we found out, even with Joe Burrow at quarterback, when you lose the first three games, it's very difficult to get back into the race. You're trailing the entire league, not only your conference. We got off to a two and oh Star lost four.
Speaker 4: Or five in a row.
Speaker 9: Flacco came in and and and beat Pittsburgh in fantastic fashion with outstanding got Uh. Uh a great. I had played great last week, a lot of points on the board. Defense couldn't good, couldn't win.
Speaker 4: And that's that's.
Speaker 9: Almost what's been happening in all seasons, the defense as badly as the offense has played. Uh that you didn't recognize how poor the defense had played.
Speaker 4: And and I'm.
Speaker 9: Glad they had this defense player all player only meeting this week.
Speaker 4: I think they needed. They needed to.
Speaker 9: Clear their heads and and uh, you know, figure out who's the front runner and who the real players are, because that's what the Steve needs right now.
Speaker 4: They need leadership, and they.
Speaker 9: He's someone who's gonna get the job done when it's tough. It's not always easy, and there's a turning point in this league where you're seeing either goes up and you get on a roll, or it goes down and you're you're waiting for for the for the postseason to start with somebody else in it because you you've lost too many games. Last week was a game they should have won. They had it won, they couldn't pull it off, and now they're behind the eight ball. They had a chance to get right back into the to the North race a game behind Pittsburgh a half game back because they beat him and they laid the golden egg.
Speaker 1: And it looks like the running game which has come to life these last two games. That is one huge positive. And isn't the running game the best friend of a quarterback.
Speaker 9: It's always been to me the most integral part, you know. And and I love Joe. I think he can take this team to a world championship, but he has to understand that the NFL is a league that has to have passing, it has to have running. You have to be able to run the ball and then it gives you more time in the pocket. You can do all kind of play action stuff. It's amazing the success you can have when you can run the ball. In the last two weeks under Flaca, you've seen the Bengals run the ball and the benefit he doesn't get all kinds of blitzes and stunts and and twists because they're just rushing to an X in the backfield and and and and tackling a spot. You know that the quarterback is getting rid of the ball quick because he has time.
Speaker 4: Sometimes he has time to.
Speaker 9: Actually throw the ball down the field, like he hits the Higgins last week. And so you've got to be able to run the ball in this league if you want to be a winner.
Speaker 1: And Scott Peters, the offensive line coach, I mean, it's taken a while, but it looks like the offensive line is is coming around, and man, they just it's got to be complimented with a solid defense. And it's just been a struggle.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's been that's been. Another part of this is the the uncomplimentary parts of the football team. A couple of weeks they played good offense, defense, special teams, cut kick the ball into the end zone every day. Pun of the ball into the end zone every time. Then then and when you can at least afford the defense to give up the big play, then when you can at least afford it, you know, we turn the ball over and it's it's just not complimentary.
Speaker 4: But I'm being positive here.
Speaker 1: I checked, yes, I.
Speaker 4: Believe this is this is the week where they.
Speaker 9: Turn it all around, all three phases, get it together, and they play their guts out.
Speaker 4: At this point, their backs the wall.
Speaker 9: They cannot lose another game to the Jets and the Bears and expect to compete in this league, even though they have a bye week, because that bye week it's only a week. But if you lose these two going into that bye week, it'll seem like a month.
Speaker 1: You're absolutely right about that, Bruce Kazerski. And to get to four and five at the bye and then you come out and hey, you go to you go to Pittsburgh and there's still time, there's there's hope. But three and six, three games under five hundred, man, that's an absolute killer.
Speaker 9: Well, the problem with losing games you shouldn't lose is that someone in your league, someone in your conference, is pulling away from you. Now Baltimore is getting getting hot again Jackson's back, and they're gonna they're gonna start to compete, you know. So it could be a could be a three team race if we play well enough to compete. If if we lose games we're not supposed to lose, then we're just gonna fall to the wayside, like we we we know we can. And and Cincinnati deserves it. They deserved this winning team. Uh, Joe Flock was busted his butt. The offense played well.
Speaker 4: Enough to win. Defense should step it up this week. And I think they know that. I trust that they know that.
Speaker 1: And protecting your home so faive, yeah, and protecting your home field. Man, you got to win at home. And to lose that home game to the Jets just uh, but yeah, you're right, Bruce. Let's stay positive and bring some fans out to the wings and rings.
Speaker 9: Total busted experience, A total busted experience with the Ring of Honor induction. Two great players and and uh they have a big league at the end, you know.
Speaker 4: And and to lay.
Speaker 9: The egg down the stretch of the fourth quarter. And as well as the offensive player you harped on this at the in the post game last year last week is as well as the offense played when the defense was struggling. At the end, they couldn't get a first down, maybe one first down and the game is over. But you can't put that game on the offense.
Speaker 1: And I was traveled, you were traveling by the You know, you leave your seat with a lead and by the time you get to your car, they're, uh, they're trailing.
Speaker 9: I left my seat with a fourteen point lead with ten and ten mins thirty seconds remaining of the game. By time I got to my my truck, they were losing by one.
Speaker 6: I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I heard the stadium, heard the stadium grown, and then I heard it roar, and then I heard them grown again.
Speaker 1: You know, now, Bruce, are you now? Are you a baseball fan? Also? Are you paying attention to the World Series?
Speaker 9: I love baseball, but I'm really a Reds fan, and they've been out of her for a while. This game is irrelevant to me. Although I'd like the US team to win, I like a team for our country to win.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 9: But Toronto's playing great baseball and and uh, I certainly hope it's a great game, and I don't want it to be another eighteen ing TASCAR like they had in that one game. But yes, certainly a nice clean, a nice clean maybe a ninth inning walk off or something close to the end would be exciting.
Speaker 1: That'd be awesome. Well, the Cincinnati Reds were the last National League team to go back to back in seventy five and seventy six. I don't want the Dodgers to do it last year and this year, so I'm rooting for the Blue Jays.
Speaker 9: But man, yeah, and start to finish and start to finish in nineteen.
Speaker 1: Ninety Yes, yeh, that's exactly right. Wire to wire, Bruce, thanks so much for taking time out from your fundraiser tonight at holy Cross High School. Man, great stuff. Appreciate you, Nanks shiit.
Speaker 4: We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Take care. That's Bruce Kazerski, Bengals legend offensive lineman center guard on the nineteen eighty eight Super Bowl team, and all those dudes Munhos Lapham, Kazerski and others were in Canton in June to support the offensive line guru, the one and Only Mouse, Jim Mouse McNally. Hey, you're listening to sports talk on seven hundred WLW Moore. After this break three minutes before the top of the hour news. This is Chick Ludwig Sports Talk on seven hundred WLW. We're getting ready for UC and Utah tonight. Band can't wait. The seventeenth ranked Bearcats against the twenty fourth ranked Utah Utes. ESPN College Game Day was in Salt Lake City today. Banned Place was absolutely going insane and you see at seven and one, shooting for its eighth straight victory. U see and BYU are a top the Big twelve standings five to zero. And then there's thirteenth ranked Texas Tech with a thirty six to twenty lead over Kansas State with a four to twenty eight to play in that game in Manhattan, Kansas. So lurking behind b YU and U see the Texas Tech Red Raiders and want to update you on some college football scores here. With three minutes left. In Gainesville, the Georgia Bulldogs have a twenty four to twenty lead over the Florida Gators. Fifth ranked Georgia twenty four to twenty. Number twelve Notre Dame is a twenty five to ten lead over Boston College. They're putting the finishing touches on that. In the closing seconds. Like I just mentioned, Texas Tech thirty six to twenty lead over Kansas State with five minutes and twenty seconds to go. Fifteenth ranked Virginia. The Cavaliers have a twenty four to twenty one lead over the cow Bears out in Berkeley, California Finals. Today, Indiana crushes Maryland on the road, the number two ranked Hoosiers fifty five to ten all over the Maryland Terrapins. The number one Ohio State Buckeyes at home, Ohio Stadium, thirty eight to fourteen winners over Penn State, Texas Man holding off Vanderbilt for a thirty four to thirty one victory. Van Dey scored twenty one points in the fourth quarter and SMU Final in overtime twenty six to twenty over the tenth ranked Miami Hurricanes. Louisville ranked sixteenth, twenty eight to sixteen winners at Virginia Tech, and West Virginia defeats number twenty two Houston in Houston, forty five to forty five to thirty five. West Virginia. When we come back, we're going to go up to Dayton, Ohio and welcome in Hall of Fame. Baseball writer Hal McCoy to talk World Series and Reds when we come back. This is the home of the Reds and the best Bengals coverage. Seven hundred WLW seven nine in the quaint city of Cincinnati, chick Ludwigs, seven hundred W l W. This is sports talk. Joe Waddell is tonight's producer. We're going all the way to nine fifteen and that means three hours and fifteen minutes of fun. And my next guest. I had the honor, pleasure and privilege of working with him for thirty years at the Dayton Daily News. He's in Cooperstown as a Hall of Fame baseball writer and to paraphrase bum Phillips, he may not be the greatest baseball rider in history, but it's sure don't take long to call roll. Welcome to seven hundred WLW once again, Hal McCoy, how are you how?
Speaker 6: I'm doing great? Check and I hope you are too.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And is there anything more exciting than Game seven?
Speaker 6: That's the best thing in sports, you know. I was hoping that the Blue Jays would end it in six because I do not want to see the Dodgers win it. But Game seven is just the ultimate in sports, winner take all, do or die all on the line. And what about last night Game six, Must see TV? Absolutely unbelievable. The Dodgers win three to one to force a Game seven, and the way they did it just unbelievable. It was like Dave Roberts, the manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers, an angel touched him on the shoulder and said, put in Tyler Glasgow Glass now, who makes three pitches and gets three outs. Yeah, unbelievable. And he's supposed to start to Game seven. But what a finish to that game. I have never seen any game, let alone a World Series game end up on a double play started by an outfielder. I mean the Blue Jays head Runners on a second and third nobody out. I thought they're gonna at least tie this game. And then first of all, the ball gets stuck under the wall that keeps him from scoring around ground road double and then the line drive to left field and keep her Nanus doubles him off second base to end the game. Just unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tyler Glass now replaces Roki Sizaki, and three pitches later, the game's over. Ernie Klement pops out to Freddie Freeman on the first pitch. Then Andre's jim Andez steps to the plate after taking a ball, he hits that low line drive to left center Keith Gay Hernandez picks it off and then he has the wherewithal gosh the fire to a covering Miguel Rojas at second base. Bam bam Barger with that double in the ball on a fly hits underneath the wall. Incredible. He leaks too far off second base, tried to get back double play game over three pitches by glass. Now you're right, Hall, I've never seen anything, never seen anything.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Key, Key was so alert. I mean he cuts that ball on the fly and in one motion, in an instant, he throws a double bouncer to second base to double the runner off. I've never seen anything like it. But if you cover baseball long enough, they say every week you see something you've never seen before.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right, almost on a daily basis, if you go to the ballpark, just incredible, and that brings us how to You know, as I'm watching the World Series, I'm thinking of the Cincinnati Reds and man, this is how good you have to be to be one of the final two teams standing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was very nice and exciting for the Reds to make it to the playoffs, but you know they were the last wild card team and then happen to play the Dodgers, and you were pretty sure that that was as far as they were going to go, because the Dodgers have it all, I mean, all the MVPs they have on that team, all the money they've spent. They are where they should.
Speaker 1: Be and just looking at gosh, potential free agents here or guys that will become free agents once the World Series is over. We're looking at Miguel Andrew Harr and then the pitchers a Zach Lyttel, Nick Martinez and Emilio put Gone along with Wade Miley. And there's just a lot of tough decisions facing the Cincinnati Reds here because they need hitting and they've got some pitching.
Speaker 6: Yes, absolutely, it would not be surprising to me if they might dangle Hunter Green out there to or get two or three good prospects. You've gotta love Hunter Green, but he's susceptible to injuries that looks like and you don't know if that's going to continue throughout his career. But he could bring a pretty good haul. But yeah, you're absolutely right. They have a lot of decisions to make, and one of them that I keep harping on is I think they they just got to move Eli Dela Cruz to center field. It just makes too much sense. We all know that he leads the league at errors the last two years at shortstop. I think he would make a fantastic center fielder with his arm, with his speed, his arm wouldn't be as erratic at centerfield as it is. It's a shortstop, and he got a shortstop coming up, and then Edwin Arroyo, who is very, very good, and I think he was fit nicely in at shortstop. But the only time in my career that the Reds ever asked my opinion of anything was in nineteen ninety when lou Penella took over the team and he asked me what the team needed, and I said it needed a lead off hitter, and I thought, very lark it would be a good choice, and that's what he did, and he thanked me after the season, but I didn't get a share of the World Series money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that is awesome, and yeah, think of the ground he can cover out in center field, of his length, his reach, his speed, and it might take some pressure off of him at the plate exactly.
Speaker 6: I said it was going to be the next thing right out of my mouth. We've been together too long, Hick. I was going to say, absolutely, there's less less pressure playing centerfield than this playing shortstop, and that would I think it would help his off mentally and take his mind off a few things.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 1: And just looking at players with club options, man Austin Hayes, I mean that's a that's a pretty penny there at twelve million mutual option, one million dollar buyout, Bran Suiters out there at three million or a two hundred and fifty thousand dollars buyout, Scott Barlow six and a half million option or a one million dollar buyout. So and then a ton of guys you know, eligible for arbitration. So yeah, man Nick, Yeah, Crawl and his yea yeah. And as lieutenants have a lot of work to do here, Yes they do.
Speaker 6: It's going to be very interesting to see because, as you mentioned, about about half the roster needs to have some decisions made, so it's going to be interesting to see which way they go. Like I say, they just have a lot of things out there to think about.
Speaker 1: And another thing we have in common. We love Chavez Ravine Dodger Stadium. But the Reds were the last Nation League team to go back to back. How we don't want the Dodgers to do it.
Speaker 6: No, we don't their last team in the National League to go back to back. Horse the Yankees have done in the American League. But yeah, you and I were part of that when the Rents went out there in nineteen ninety and seventy five and seventy six. They went back to back, last National League team to do it. Just another reason that I'm rooting against the Dodgers tonight. And let's hope that Max Scherzer's got it. You know, he's played on four World Series teams and he has started one other game seven so forty years old, but he's got a lot of moxie. And the Dodgers pitching, I know they're going to see a lot of guys tonight, including shohe Otani, who plays in a higher league than the major leagues. But it should be interesting to see if Sures can hold him down.
Speaker 1: Now, I know on your Facebook page and the writing is still as crisp and as great as ever, Hal, And you mentioned a guy that reaches base nine times, what five intentional walks? You know, a little bit cowardly, Hey man, up, Yes see, if you can't get this cat owl.
Speaker 6: That's right, that's I would like to see him do something about intentional logs because he can't do it, because they'll still find a way to walk a guy if they want to. But you know, the guy is a superstar, but he doesn't He doesn't hit a home run or get a base at every time. Up just really kind of made me think not so nicely of the Blue Jays for walking him four times in one game.
Speaker 1: And it's hard to believe Hal McCoy that nineteen ninety five, we were at Chavez Ravine and it was the last series the Reds have the Reds of one and then and then Atlanta happened. Yeah, and then Atlanta happened.
Speaker 6: Yes, Atlanta happened. Got the general manager Jim uh what was his name at the.
Speaker 10: Time, Jim Jim Bowden Jim Bowden, Yeah, or as Marty calls him, all the leather Pants had the great idea that they should start all left handers against the Braves.
Speaker 6: It's the braves were susceptible against left handers. Well it didn't work. They got blown out, but it wasn't nice. You and I were in Chevez Ravine. That's it's my favorite ballpark. I mean, it's the third oldest, but they keep that place so clean you can eat off the floors. It's just unbelievable. But yeah, we were there with the manager Davey Johnson, and uh, they won the game out there, and but disaster in Atlanta and that's the last time that they have won a postseason series.
Speaker 1: It really is incredible. And hol just a career. And you recently had a birthday? And is it eighty three or eighty five? Eighty five? Eighty five?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 6: Eighty five eighty five and counting?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what keeps you going?
Speaker 8: How?
Speaker 6: Just life itself? I try to write every day. I love to write. If I couldn't write, I don't know what I would do. I would be flipping burgers or something. But that's been my life. And as long as I can sit down, it's the it's the computer, the laptop and buzz out a few words. I'm happy. I try to do it every day and that keeps me going. Eighty five but I don't feel like you're over eighty four.
Speaker 1: That's just wonderful, how and I absolutely mean it. It doesn't take long to call roll for for the baseball writers and Hal McCoy in Cooperstown.
Speaker 6: Man, I appreciate that, Chris, Urus appreciate that, Chick, and you know, we've been friends for a long time and we were working buddies. And you are a very talented guy yourself and do a great job on the radio and a multi talented person. That's what I like.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much, Hal, and hey, appreciate it. All the best in Nadine and yourself.
Speaker 6: Stay well, sir, Thanks Chicken, Thanks thanks for having me on, buddy, take care of yourself.
Speaker 1: You are so welcome to enjoy Game seven tonight. Wow, it's it's gonna be fun getting me ready?
Speaker 4: You bet?
Speaker 6: Yes? Yes?
Speaker 1: Thanks Hal? All right?
Speaker 6: Thanks?
Speaker 1: Hey, do you have a thought about Game seven tonight? Who are you rooting for? I've got my coffee, I've got my computer. All I need is you and it's more coffee tonight because there's no water in our building this weekend. So man, a lot of java on seven hundred WLW seven, City of Cincinnati, Chick Ludwig seven hundred WLW Sports Talk till nine to fifteen tonight, and then Dan Horde, Tony Pike, and Moeger take over these airwaves for the University of Cincinnati against the U tall Utes tonight in a monster Big Twelve game, as the UC Bearcats attempt to push their record to eight and one with their eighth straight victory, and push their Big Twelve record to six and zero and staying atop the Big Twelve standings and keep Texas Tech at five and one, ranked thirteenth in the nation. Give them the old Heisman Troop Trophy stiff arm. But there's BYU there too, and you see host BYU later this season. The tenth rank Cougar's man it the Big Twelve is shaping up to be an awesome for an awesome finish this year. But we mentioned the Reds and appreciate how McCoy joining us, and I mentioned the free agents Miguel Andrew harr Pitchers, Zach Lttel, Nick Martinez, Emilio Pagan, Wade Miley. And then you've got players with options Austin Hayes twelve million dollar option but a one million dollar buyout Brent Souter, left handed pitcher we love him, Cincinnati guy a three million dollar club option a two hundred and fifty thousand dollars buyout, and then right handed pitcher Scott Barlow with a club option for six point five million dollars or a one million dollar buyout, all with contract options. And then there's the folks who are eligible for arbitration. Right handed pitcher Graham Ashcraft, outfielder Will Benson, infielder outfielder Santiago espinall who got outrighted to Louisville. Outfielder TJ. Friedel, left handed pitcher Nick Lidolo, infielder outfielder Gavin Lux, second baseman Matt McClain, lefty Sam Mall writing, Tony Santition writing, Brady Singer, Spencer Steer, and catcher Tyler Stevenson. So wow uh A lot going on with the Reds, and Nick Krawl says, We've got to improve both aspects of our position players. I think we need to improve across the board. Offensively, we had guys that had down years. Some of it's going to be internal, some of it might be bringing somebody in from the outside. We did a good job with defensive efficiency, but our defensive range and everything could be better across the board. And with closer Emelio Pegan and the swingman there, Nick Martinez being free agents, replacing them in the bullpen has got to be a priority. And then who might the Reds be willing to trade? Like Hal mentioned, the big chip is Hunter Green. He has three years and about forty two million left on a six year contract through twenty twenty eight, with a club option for twenty nine. Green could net the best return for the Cincinnati Reds to fill its needs elsewhere? Is it okay if I dream, just a little bit, dream of Kyle Schwarber in a Cincinnati Reds uniform. Middletown High School, Indiana University, played for the Chicago Cubs, Washington Nationals, the Red Sox, and now at the Phillies. His four year, seventy nine million dollar contract runs out, he becomes a free agent. The Reds could use that twenty one million that they paid Nick Martinez last year for some starting money in an attempt to get Kyle Schwarber here. With his signing set this franchise in this city on its ear with excitement. I think, so we've reached the bottom of the hour break when we come back, Journalist, broadcaster, author, all around great guy. Terrence Moore from Atlanta is next. This is Chick Ludwig Sports Talk seven hundred WLW seven eight in the Queen City of Cincinnati. This is Chick Ludwig and it's sports Talk. My next guest is a media superstar, journalist, broadcaster, author, digital creator from the Cincinnati Choir to San Francisco to the Atlanta Journal Constitution. His writing is absolutely brilliant and it all started in Oxford at Miami University. We welcome in from Atlanta our good friend Terrence More. Terrence, how are you sir?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, Chick, I want to hire you as my PR guy. But even though you didn't go to the great Miami, Ohio, but yeah, you're a great You're great anyway.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much. And when you hear the ads for Miami University where today's students become tomorrow's leaders, I'll bet you've got a big smile on your face.
Speaker 3: Oh, no question about it, you know. And for people out there who don't know, besides the credof coaches, there are more ceo of fortune, five hundred companies with Miami, Ohio undergraduate degrees than any other college. And I can go on and on and on, but I won't.
Speaker 4: I won't.
Speaker 1: Well, it was awesome having you really back in Ohio, back in Southwest Ohio for a book signing, and just love your work here from Redbrickmagic dot com to the real hankeron dot com and now recently hear my Big Redmachine dot com. Terrence, Can you talk about your Big Red Machine?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know, you know this thing is it's a miracle in so many ways of writing this book, and I always tell people I get chills talking about it, and I get chills just thinking about everything I went through. But essentially it's about my journey from being a diehard Big Red Machine fan to finally meeting my heroes and chick I know you've gone through the same thing being an Ohio guy. Is that you know a lot of times it doesn't measure up to what you expected.
Speaker 4: For me, for the most.
Speaker 3: Part, it did, and it all began and ended with Pete Rose, a long time favorite player. The one thing I will say this real quick too, is I grew up in South in Indiana as a young guy. You know, Pump and the University of Notre Dame, and my dad was an AT ANDT supervisor who got transferred to Cincinnati in sixty eight. And I bring that up because there's no such thing as coincidence. In my world. Everything is spiritual. The next year of sixty nine, that was the first official year of the Big Reversine, So Chick, I always tell people the Big Reversine started because my family came here from Indiana. I think where it was.
Speaker 1: That is fantastic and gosh, one of the highlights of my career. Four months to the day prior to Pete Rose's death, I'm invited back to Western Hills Country Club is the MC of their stag honoring Pete, and I got to introduce him, and then we sat on a stage together and I guided him through a fifty four photolide show of his life. And what an evening. What an evening with Pete?
Speaker 3: Well, you know you and I saw a different side of Pete. I have got nothing bad to say about Pete Rose. He was so good to me. As a matter of fact, Just to tell you how these things work as far as spiritually as I look at it. I graduated from Miami University in May of nineteen seventy eight. A week later, I'm working full time at since An Enquirer And the very first interview I ever did in my entire life as a professional sports journalist that now has spanned to almost fifty years was with Pete Rose, the all time favorite player. As a matter of fact, a feo months after that interview, one of the photographers at the Inquirer dropped the Manila ovelope on my desk and guess what it was. It was a picture of me during my first interview with Pete Rose, which is the cover.
Speaker 1: Of the book. Oh that is absolutely fantastic and so really your experience here with the Cincinnati Reds. And like the book says, my Big Red Machine and hey, just gosh, that's the website. Check it out, buy the book. It's fantastic, Mybigredmachine dot com. And one thing that I don't think a lot of people know about you, Terrence. And oh, by the way, next year is our thirtieth anniversary at the nineteen ninety six Atlanta Games, the centennial Olympic Games in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: What a time you and I had doing that, Man, What a.
Speaker 1: Month at Emory, Yeah, a month at Emory University. Absolutely loved it and I'll just never forget that unbelievable experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you said thirty years. That means that we've been around a while.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, And being a nineteen seventy six graduate of the Ohio State University and I came up through the Gosha a weekly in Lebanon, then a daily in suburban Cleveland, and then thirty years at the Dayton Daily News. I'm approaching fifty years in the media really like next June. So you're right, we've been around a long time.
Speaker 3: Terrence, Well, he messed in the Ohio State University. You know, the winning is coach in the history of Ohio State, and some guy named Woody Hayes BI National Championships and you got this big start at Mine of Ohio. Now read I'm telling the story a little bit off my current book. I'm going to go back to my middle book, Red brig Magic Woody Hayes. As everybody out there probably knows, he ended his career ended December nineteen seventy eight when he slugged Charlie Bowman of Clemson on the sidelines of the Gator Bowl Game. Yes, and he vanished for six months after that from a media standpoint, and chick guess it was the first person to interview Oh, Woody Hayes six months later.
Speaker 1: Oh it's Terrence More.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: That is awesome.
Speaker 3: Here's something oh too, I gotta tell you. Okay, this guy named Kim Griffrey Jr. I guess who wrote the first story about him when he was eight years old?
Speaker 4: Was it you?
Speaker 3: I mean, I could go on. Oh right, you just want that.
Speaker 1: Out there, Terrence. One thing that a lot of folks don't know about you. You launched the career of Stephen A. Smith. Tell us that story.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think I launched it, but I was. I was a part of it. I mean he he got to start a lot of people would say Winston Salem, some would say Philadelphia inquire Actually he got to start as an intern at the Cincinnati Inquirer. Not since I inquired I was people it was at the Atlanta General Constitution. I left that out because after leaving the Assistant Inquirer for three years, I worked at the San Francisco Examiner for five and then spent twenty five years at the Landa General Constitution and one of the biggest bills I had, they often put me in charge of at least to help out with interns. And one was a guy by the name of Steve Smith. And believe it or not, Chick, that's his real name, Steve Smith.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's wild. It's just incredible and one of the one of the great afternoons I got to spend in Oxford, Ohio, in the home and the basement of Wilbur Charles U Bank we Weave you Bank. And that was just just awesome because he was getting honored, gosh, in New York City with an award. My boss, Ralph Morrow, sent me there. I spent an afternoon with him. And oh, he's got Peley's jersey encased in glass up on his wall, and you know, he opens up a file cabinet, pulls out uh, Buffalo Bill's game plan nineteen sixty one. Oh my gosh, just uh. And he's got a pointer like like a you know, the nuns head with the rubber tip on the end, and he's going over all the members. He's got all the members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame up on like an outside wall in his basement, and you know, he's pointing at each one saying, oh, he had great feet, great hands, and and then he had a projector. He had a projector on like an ottoman and he had the you know, the screen pulled down so that he could watch old film just weep. He was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Well, as you know, chick, what another member of the creditle we view Bank the winningest coach of the West. Could consider it the greatest game ever played between the Giants and the coach Beck in the nineteen fifties, and of course the biggest upset in the history of the Super Bowl. Super Bowl three. We viewed Bank from Mount Ohio. But it goes further than that. And like you just said, those old guys, those old cradle guys had a tendency to come back to Oxford, Ohio one way or the other. I'll tell you this quick Paul Brown story. Paul Brown. Of course everybody knows who's who Paul Brown is. But when I worked assistant inquire Brown's autobiography came out in nineteen seventy nine, they're playing the Browns, who he hated at that point because of the way he left the Browns back in the sixties. And the columnist for US back then named Mark Purty wrote this column and as Lee said that Paul Brown watched this game They're playing the Browns in Cleveland. When his book came out. He said, Paul Brown watched the game with misty eyes. Paul Brown calls assistant inquirer and gets Mark on the phone and says, I have never had missy eyes in my life. Now here's why I'm telling you the story. Okay, okay. So it's years later, nineteen eighty three eighty four. Somewhere in there, Miami is playing the last game ever at Miami Field, which was the second oldest color football stadium in the country at the time. Last game they beat Central Michigan twenty three to nothing. Perfect day if you were a rich Red Hawk fans. So it's after the game and I walked back to the stadium and I see these two figures in the distance and is Paul Brown and his wife Mary. And I kind of go around behind him and I approached Paul Brown and Paul Brown is standing there with tears coming down his face. Can you imagine that Paul Brown and tears? And I said, I said, Paul, I must have been an emotional time for you watching this last game at Mine Skills, and he and his wife quickly got a tissue and he's wiping it and he said, oh, no, no, it was just just another game, just another game. And then Mary says, oh he was crying that tire. Yes, and and I merely thought back to what he told Mark party. Uh and irity, I've never been this cid in my life.
Speaker 1: Oh, that is fantastic. Now I do some umpiring for girls fast pitch softball and some baseball, and a guy comes up to me a year or so ago at a backstop and said, Hey, are you the guy that coined the phrase the world's largest living room for Mallette Hall? And I said, yeah, that's me. I will be in tears when Mallette Hall comes down. I love the place.
Speaker 3: Well it's coming down, and uh, pretty similar for people who may not know. They're building a new arena right down Cookfield and wide open spaces and also a hotel there and check. You know. This doesn't have anything to do with with Malett, but has to do with Miami Sports. When I was in Cincinnati this week, I had a fabulous time with Tug Martin, our great football coach, and Tug Martin this guy. I would contend that he has done the greatest job of any coach in America this year. Consider this, Miami will Little Mina, Ohio is a Mid American conference school. Okay, we're in the europe NIL and also transfer portal. And every year they got to reload, they lose these players to the bigger schools. And every year he has got Miami contending for the MAC championship. Is not winning it. Right now, they're undefeated in the MAC. They won five straight with a totally new offense. And this guy gets not as much credit as he should get.
Speaker 1: You're exactly right, Terrence and Wild I've got you your Terrence more were Gosh, former sports columnist at the Atlanta Journal Constitution, where he spent twenty five years. Incredible, the real Hank Aaron. Yeah, you know, I was born in nineteen fifty four. I got to see Roberto Clemente play at Crosley Field. I fell in love with him number twenty one. But that that National League, man, how tough was it to make to make that a starting lineup? You know, with Frank Robinson and Willie Mays and Henry Aaron and Roberto Clemente. Just just a phenomenal, But your relationship to the great great Henry Aaron, it was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I I was closer to Hank than any other reporter ever. Was a four year relationship, and it was because he trusted me so much. And I was like to tell this first story when we first met, and I'll give you the sword version of this. I was working at the Sampston stood Examiner. I was writing this story in nineteen eighty two on Blacks and Baseball, and I talked about an awful lot and Hank Aaron book and also in the latest book, My Big Red Machine, and both Hank Aaron and Joe Morgan, who I was also very close to, they were convinced back in eighty two that Major League Baseball was purposely fasing out African American players. Again, chick, this is in eighty two. They both told me in nineteen eighty two that after the turn of the century that the number of the percentage of African Americans in baseball would be less than ten percent on purpose. And guess what, it's less than ten percent. But people want to read more about I've got it in the books, both of those books. But here's why I'm bringing this up. When I first met Hank Aaron, he was the only African American executive in baseball at the time in nineteen eighty two, caught him up did in an interview with him. I'm scared to death.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: We hit it off off the bat. I'm talking to him on the phone. I'm working at the San Franisco Examiner at the time, and so, uh, when I finished the interview, and I'm listening to my tape recording, and Hank, being from the South, sometimes you have sendency to say some things. I mean, just for a phrases that might be a little bit off that if you if you didn't, I didn't quite understand him. I mean, you can misinterpret what he's what's trying to say. So I called called me back and I said, Hank, you said blah blah blah blah blah blah. I said, did you mean it this way or can you tell me exactly what you what you meant? He said, oh, thanks, thanks, thanks for calling me back. And I remember now this is this is when we first met.
Speaker 4: And then after we.
Speaker 3: Finished with that, he said, you know what he said, In all my years, I have never had a reporter do this. He said, I really appreciate this, and that's how we hit it off and check. I know you can relate to that because a lot of times we have reporters, you know, they'll just run with stuff and they know that, man, it might be a little bit out of context, as opposed to taking that time to go back to the individual and just say that is this what you meant to say? Or I just need a clarification.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that such great, really great stuff, great advice, and I know that you're a gosh a mentor to so many young journalists at Miami and elsewhere. Terrence Moore, and just want to relate one quick story with you. At the Dayton Daily News, I was shipped to Central State to interview Don King. Okay, he was getting an honorary degree, and I asked, m Don, what's your message to the marauders today, all the students here? And he said, kick the door down. In other words, when you go to an interview, you are so prepared that they can't turn you down. You're gonna, you know, kick that door down. And I'll never forget that from Don King.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll give you my piece of advice. I tell my students all the time. And as you say, I was a visiting professor at Miami for seven years, and once I started writing books, I need to be closer to here. So now I've been a visiting professor here at Georgia State now for the last two or three years. One of the things I like to tell my students I give him the sports analogy of Vince Lombardi. And Vince Lombardi used to say run to daylight. And I would say that he didn't tell his running backs to trot the daylight or to walk to the light. Run the daylight. And I say that this to say that when you see an opening for anything in your life that might be something that can help you, don't not well take advantage of it, to sprint through that thing like crazy and see what happens, because if you don't sprint, you get knocked down, and you get tackled, you get sacked.
Speaker 1: And it can be very very ugly. This has been an absolute joy, Terrence Moore, and I want to thank you and thank your brother Dennis. Maybe he can be my pr guy.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 3: I want to tell you, hey, I was getting in with that chick my brother dinners down in Mount Healthy or up in Mount Healthy, depending on where your listeners are. He's listening right now. He listens to you every Saturday. And when I told him that I was going to be on with the Great Tickster, you got a big smiles, says, oh you gotta be kissed me.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, I mean.
Speaker 3: All I can talk about.
Speaker 1: Well, Terrence, I've been one to have you on for a long time. Thank you so much for carving out some time. You're everywhere. I love it, love reading your stuff on Facebook and really appreciate your time tonight, and all the best to you and your family.
Speaker 3: Thank you for speaking of love, love and honor to Miami our college, Oden.
Speaker 1: Grand Amen to that love and honor where today's students become tomorrow's leaders. All right, indeed, thanks so much, Terrence, Safe travels, brother, Thank you. Sports Talk with Chick Ludwig seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: ME She just.
Speaker 1: Eight o nine in the Queen City of Cincinnati. Chicklog Wig, seven hundred w l W. This is sports talk. We're going all the way to nine fifteen tonight, and then you see football takes over these airwaves. The seventeenth rank Bearcats collide in Salt Fake City, Utah with the Utah uch rank number twenty four in the nation. You can hear the game right here on seven hundred WLW with the all the covered starting at nine fifteen Dan Hord, Tony Pike, Moeger an hour pregame show and then kickoff from Rice Echeles Stadium at ten fifteen tonight, two hours down, one to go. Really appreciate Bruce Kozerski joining us at the bottom of the six o'clock hour. Bengals legend. Bruce and I will be co hosting Bengals postgame Sports Talk tomorrow five thirty to eight thirty after the Bengals and Bears game, and we will be live at the Wings and Rings, Oakley tomorrow from five thirty to eight thirty. Would love to see you come on out and let's celebrate a Bengals victory. So Bruce Kozerski in that first hour. Then Hal McCoy joined US Hall of Fame Baseball writer talking Reds and the World Series. Nothing beats Game seven and man, it's on right now eight o'clock start Game seven at the Rogers Center, Toronto Blue Jays against the Los Angeles Dodgers, and we're rooting for the Blue Jays because the Cincinnati Reads were the last National League team to win back to back World Series championships nineteen seventy five nineteen seventy six, and I don't want the Dodgers to do it tonight because they won it last year. Go Blue Jays. And then Terrence Moore joined us. Wow, that is some of the most fun I've had in a long time. Just tremendous, great stories and his books are award winning. Check them out. Just Google up Terrence T. E. R E n C. E. Moore, m R E. My Big Redmachine dot Com, The Real Hank Aaron and RedBrick Magic all about the cradle of coaches at Miami University and college basketball is getting ready to start. Man, I'm not ready yet, but here it comes. And there's just so many new players on so many teams. Man, you need you need a scorecard, definitely to check out all the new players. So I'm eager to listen to Dan Horde call the UC Bearcats, and I'm excited to listen to Xavier University with their new head coach, Richard Patino and get to know some of these players. And I'll give another shout out here to Miami, the University and the Men of Steel head coach Travis Steel. In a day and age when transfers the transfer portal Nil, It's absolutely crazy with all the new players. Miami returns ten players from last year's squad, and Travis Steel, in his fourth year, is the head men's basketball coach coming off the most wins in school history. He begins his fourth year at the helm of the program after finishing his third season with a twenty five and nine record, fourteen and four in the Mid American Conference. So ten players return, but I want to circle back here with the Cincinnati Bengals and so many fans up in arms over this team. Start at three and five, Upset with head coach Zach Taylor, upset with the meltdown against the New York Jets in a thirty nine to thirty eight loss last Sunday on a Ring of Honor Day. Then I come across a Facebook post by the great Jim McNally, offensive line coach the extraordinary Back In June, he was honored at the Pro Football Hall of Fame, one of fifteen recipients of these awards for excellence given out by the Pro Football Hall of Fame for his great work as the Bengals offensive line coach. And I want to read you his post on Facebook and and he wrote this for Cincinnati Bengal followers. I worked for them, and this is Jim Mouse McNally. I worked for them fifteen years full time, in ten years part time. That's twenty five years. The fans are getting on edge. The present team is built on perhaps the best one to two quarterback playing Joe Burrow, with Jamar Chase, who is the best receiver hands down in the league, and t Higgins another great receiver. They have a new great offensive line coach in Scott Peters. After Joe got hurt, their identity fell into no man's land. Then here comes Joe Flacco. It had taken Scott a full spring and fall to toughen up the offensive line since he has two rookies at guard, and he had to change their mentality, especially on the run game. The last few weeks they have run for one hundred and forty and one hundred and seventy yards and beat the Steelers, who lead the division. And Jim says, quit bashing the ownership and personnel department. Is no one else has a Burrow, Chase and Higgins. They cost and he's got three dollars signs that's big money. True, the defense is spotty and an issue to date. You can blame coaching, scouting, or just playing bad luck. As they fired their former defensive coordinator who happens to be Loot and Rumo, who is now leading the Colts to an excellent season. How many years have the Bills fans bashed their front office and coaches. They've done it for years. Now they've got Josh Allen. He makes all three phases survive even if the defense or special teams has an average or poor game. What if Josh got hurt just like Joe b did, would the Bills be as good? You know the answer. Every team has haters in the stands or on the couch. All thirty two have issues. Enjoy the games and be glad your city has a team. And on one of the comments, Jim McNally posts a reply to a fan. He says, it's all true. Everybody wants to fire everybody in the NFL. In college, securing the players has become ninety percent of the job, not coaching, not scheme. In the free agency. In the NFL, and the portal nil in College has put the onus on getting the players, not how well you coach them, So the word coach has little meaning in this day and age. Was Belichick a great coach in New England for twenty years? Or was it's Tom Brady? I coached for the love of developing, refined and update running and pass blocking techniques, But now that means little in this day and age. Of securing the right players, especially the quarterback, and he put the QB in all caps. That is mouse McNally. Your reaction when we return. This is Chick Ludwig Sports Talk seven hundred WLW and the numbers to call five one, three, seven four nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred the big one. The chicks are with you till nine to fifteen tonight on seven hundred WLW, eight twenty two in the Queen City of Cincinnati. Chick Ludwig, seven hundred WLW. This is sports talk like Eric Carmen and the Raspberries were going all the way to nine to fifteen tonight, and then you see football takes over these airwaves with Dan Horde, Tony Pike, and Moeger calling all the action from rice echos Stadium in Salt Lake City. It's the seventeenth ranked Bearcats against the twenty fourth ranked Utah Utes. And what a scene it was today College Game Day ESPN Place was unbelievable. They had a what's called a ute meter and it measured the decipels and man ear splitting sound coming from the crowd just jam packed and it was just a phenomenal scene. So that crowd is just electric waiting on the UC Bearcats tonight. Man, it all started at the crack at dawn today. Amazing And at the bottom after the bottom of the hour news, we're gonna welcome in Scott Springer of the Cincinnati Enquirer and we're gonna get his take on UC in Utah. But I want to update some college football scores right now. Late second quarter, the seventh ranked Old Miss Rebels seventeen to seven lead at home over South Carolina. The twenty first ranked Michigan Wolverines in the Big House tied with Purdue at seven with a minute to go before halftime. NC State at home leads number eight Georgia Tech fourteen to ten. Just at the start early second quarter, Oklahoma and Tennessee tied at seven, midway through the first quarter and Nebraska has a seven to three lead on USC early second quarter. Just looking here at the conference standings in the Big Twelve, BYU and Cincinnati are tied atop the conference at five and oh. BYU is eight to no overall, and the Bearcats are seven and one, riding that seven game winning streak after the opening game loss to Nebraska at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, a half game behind the tenth ranked Cougars and the seventeenth ranked Bearcats number thirteen Texas Tech winner. Today they are five and one in the Big Twelve, eight and one overall. In the Houston Cougars number twenty two, they're going to fall after a loss today. They're seven and two overall, four and two in the conference, and Arizona's eight is four and two. And then you've got the TCU Horned Frogs the Utah Utes, both three and two in the conference. Utah six and two overall but ranked twenty fourth in the nation. So looking forward to tonight and we've got the Game seven of the World Series has started. Show Hey Otani is on the mound for the Los Angeles Dodgers. There's one out Vladimir Guerrero is up to the plate. George Springer had a leadoff single. So we're in the bottom of the first no score at the Rogers Center in Toronto. And just looking ahead here at UC schedule as we get ready for tonight's game. And by the way, on College Game Day there they're analysts who you know, with the old under and the betting line and all that good stuff. Stanford Steve he said, do U see Bearcats are going to win the Big twelve? How about that? Well? After tonight's game against Utah, you see hosts Arizona and then you see hosts number ten BYU. Is there a chance at College Game Day could come back to Knippert Stadium this year? How awesome would that be? And then the regular season you see finishes up the twenty twenty five regular season at TCU. So tough schedule down the stretch here with two top twenty five teams Utah and BYU. It's going to be so important for UC to weather the storm early tonight at Rice Echo Stadium. The crowd's going to be absolutely electric. You see, cannot panic, all right, U see's got to prove that it can contain the running game of Utah, and Utah's defense is going to attempt to shut down Brendan Soresby and this high powered you see offense. So if you see could just weather the storm early and not panic in front of a incredibly hostile crowd and then really hopefully take a lead, build on it and if not, be close enough in the fourth quarter that you can steal the victory late in the game. But the start really of the of the game and then the third quarter it's, uh, it's just absolutely huge. But if they would suffer a turnover and fall behind with that hostile crowd, you don't want it to get ugly. And then just looking at the right now, the spread is eleven and a half for Utah minus eleven point five, so you see a big underdog tonight and the over undertotal is fifty eight and a half points. So, man, just get ready for a huge night here game seven of the World Series, and you see Utah coming. And after the bottom of the hour news, we'll welcome in Scott Springer of the Cincinnati Enchoir to break it all down like a wrecking ball right here with your host, Chick Ludwig on seven hundred WLW eight thirty nine into Queen City of Cincinnati. Chick Ludwig, this is sports Talk. We're going all the way to nine fifteen tonight and sports Talk bleeds right into the Big twelve Conference showdown between the number seventeen you see Bearcats and the number twenty four utah Utes at Rice Echels Stadium in Salt Lake City, kickoff ten fifteen, but our coverage starts at nine fifteen. And here to join us from the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Bearcats beat writer, Scott Springer.
Speaker 8: Hi, Scott, Chick, what's up man?
Speaker 11: It's gorgeous here ben to BYU and now at Rice Ecles Stadium. And I'm not so sure. I don't know which one is the best. I think this one might be. Looking at the view. They both have outstanding views. And you know, the guys up here have to call the game. But what a night, you know, clear night shoot on the big screen. They got Tennessee and Oklahoma going on, and Mo's got the World Series on and the Dacoozie Jets running and all sorts of filet mignon wrapped in bacon and all the amenities that are radio crew would get.
Speaker 1: Oh that is fantastic, and I can only imagine what the scene is like there. Just watching some of the college game Day on ESPN this morning, that place was electric. There was a thing called the ute meter, and I guess the decibels were ear splitting out there. But just that crowd has got to be electric out there.
Speaker 11: They're a noisy lunch They were up early, so we'll see if they went home and took a nap, because after game day ended, you know, it was ten hours and fifteen minutes until kickoff, so a long, long night here in Salt Lake City. But I'm looking at the muss right now. It's Muss, Muss, mighty Utah student section is what that stands for.
Speaker 8: And apparently their deals.
Speaker 11: They jump up and down on third down and they try to disrupt the count and get the teams to jump off sides. But the one thing you see has going for now, we'll see. You know, this might be louder than we think, but the first game against Nebraska Arrowhead Stadium was as loud as I've heard. Dan Horde has called Bengals Chiefs games there. He said it's the loudest he's ever heard. And U see, did all right? You know, you're passed away from winning that game. It certainly was loud, and then I think that's helped them going on the road to other places, you know, like Kansas where they win in the final minute forty five and Oklahoma State was still loud even though their team is not doing as well. So I think they're well prepared for this. They're probably ready to go silent if need be. They're just running into a very tough team. It's very very good at night and very very good at home.
Speaker 1: Scott Springer's with us to preview UC and Utah tonight. Gosh, I'm looking at standings here after Texas Tech's forty three to twenty victory over k State. The thirteenth ranked Red Raiders win today and banned a little bit of a tighten up, you know, in the Big twelve, but BYU you see at the top of the standings a half game back. Here is is Texas Tech and this is gosh, what an opportunity. I guess that's the key word here for that. You see Bearcats tonight.
Speaker 11: Well that's the way you have to look at it. If you're you see fanas, you're here, you know you're here. You're seven and one. It's better better than being you know, two and five or whatever, where this game doesn't matter.
Speaker 8: The game matters. Now.
Speaker 11: I don't know what the oddsmakers are seeing because it started out with a ten, ten and a half point spread, and I'm looking at ESPN now it's up to and eleven and.
Speaker 8: A half point spread. So Utah, they're mighty.
Speaker 11: They have scored over forty points in five games this season, but the Bearcats have also scored three games over forty. They have had six games total over thirty points, so on average, they're both right and around, you know, almost thirty nine points per game. Both have very good running attacks. You talked just about round Colorado off the field by halftime last week, and that was with their backup quarterback Bird Ficklin and Devin dan Pier is supposed to be ready to go tonight, so he's you know, he can throw it, he can run it, he can do a lot of things. So can Brendan Sorosby. So you need some Bearcats to step up. You probably need some turnovers tonight. U See has not had many turnovers. Sorbie just one interception. He's only been sacked twice, so if they can, you know, keep it like that offensively and then defensively maybe you know, come up with something just one interception this year for the Bearcat defense, which seems kind of odd, but they've only lost one game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Brendon sorosby twenty touchdown passes want just one interception. Incredible. The total for tonight on ESPN is fifty eight and a half points. Gosh, I mean the knee jerk reaction is you know, the total is going to go over that, but it's going to be fun. And the one thing I told the listeners earlier, you know, you see has to kind of weather the storm early, you know, with an electric crowd in a hostile environment, and just be cool and hopefully get a lead and build on it and if not, man be close enough in the fourth quarter to steal this thing.
Speaker 11: Well, if you look at their other games, they've had reasonably good first half where they've come out hut and they've played most of their offense in the first half and then kind of dialed it back and chewed up the clock and won the games. So a couple of the games got a little close at one point or another, but then you see pulled away. You know, last week forty one to twenty against Baylor, that got to be twenty eight twenty at one point, and they had a big lead, had a big lead against Iowa State.
Speaker 8: Iowa State came back, but they held them off.
Speaker 11: Oklahoma State got a little bit close, but you see, made a rally and ran away. The only game they trailed at halftime is Nebraska, and that should have been six to three. There was a I think Caleb Goodie dropped the pass. There was a fumble and that led to a Nebraska touchdown right before halftime. So that was thirteen to three and a half and they've that's the only game that they've trailed at halftime.
Speaker 1: And I really like, gosh the one two paunch that UC has, you know at running back, and it has certainly helped Brendan Soresby. Also, best friend of the quarterback is Irons out tonight? Is he okay?
Speaker 11: Kevin Pryor is out? Yeah, he is out, and they declared him out earlier in the week. So you're gonna see a lot of tune with Walker. But he's the guy that I mean, he just belted the kid from Ioway stayed a few weeks back I don't know if you saw the video. Yes, he des trucked him and he's that's the way he runs. He's a bulldozers about five eight two hundred and twenty pounds.
Speaker 8: And they'll just take you down.
Speaker 11: And I think what you're probably going to see in the place of Heaven Pryor would be I'm guessing Manny Covey because he's very fast. Against Texas Tech a year ago, he came in when Corey Kiner went out very early in the first quarter, and he didn't necessarily run as much, but he got six passes for one hundred yards and scored two touchdowns. So very fast, elusive similar to prior. He also had a pun return called back against Kansas in that game.
Speaker 8: But if you remember that game, you.
Speaker 11: See had four touchdowns called back against against Kansas and still won. So they're playing some other guys that night too. And then the Kenny Covey Yeah.
Speaker 1: Great, yeah.
Speaker 11: Chance Williams is another guy that out of Grambling State that could factor in here running wise.
Speaker 1: And definitely the wide receivers for U see the guys they brought in here, there's some special talent there.
Speaker 11: For Brent Well, they stretched the field yes, Caleb Goody averages you know, over nineteen yards per catch, and then you have Jeff Caldwell round seventeen and that Raine Cyrus. Allen's more the possession receiver at eleven something, but he can make some moves and score the ball for you. And Noah Jennings Isaiah Johnson two guys that have come up. So they've done better at receiver with guys that are a little bit faster and making some plays. So but for all that to work, you know, there has to be some form of a run. And the Barrikats have normally been decent and running the ball, typically get over two hundred yards a game. But you're facing a team that last week ran for well over four hundred yards on the ground. The most UC's given up was I think two twenty eight against Oklahoma State. So it's it's stopped the run for the defense and established the run for the offense.
Speaker 8: Simple as that.
Speaker 1: And Scott Springer's with us for a couple more minutes. In Scott, you know, a a three four defense, three down lineman. Man, it worries me at times, you know, almost a natural crease in a way for a running back. But they They've shown a four down look too, haven't they.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Well, Sadderfield mentioned earlier this week that they probably will have to crowd the box a little bit more based on the way this runs the ball, So I would look for more of that, and we'll see.
Speaker 8: How they do throwing the ball.
Speaker 11: But to be an interesting game, It's feel like I've been up all day long, you know, looking at all this stuff, and it's finally nighttime here and the crowd's not yet filed in.
Speaker 8: But I'm sure it's going to be a good one.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 11: It seats about fifty one thousand and change, and the students we'll see, like if they're still awake, if they got an app or if they're backfired up again or I don't know, they were worked up this morning and they did not have very kind things to say about their neighbors and Proglo.
Speaker 8: I know that much.
Speaker 1: Oh bet, I'll bet it's a two hour time difference out there, So a ten to fifteen start is an eight to fifteen start. Our coverage starts here locally at nine to fifteen. And just really looking forward to this game and the opportunity in front of U s here trying to win its eighth consecutive game and tied atop the standards with BYU. And just looking at the schedule here, you know, with Arizona coming in here and then number ten b YU and then going on the road to TCU. I'm loving Stanford Steve Pick of UC winning the Big twelve.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's a good guy.
Speaker 11: I got to talk to him yesterday and he's a former tight end and he was raving about Joe roy Or. He loves Joe Royer and maybe Joe Royer gets the ball more tonight and that would that would help the Bearcats out. But back to what you're saying, you know, the schedule is certainly not easy for the Bearcats. You look at Texas Techa one today and so they're going to play BYU next week. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that the game day goes to Lubbock for that game. But then BYU is in with UC on November twenty second, that's a game coming up. You see, we'll have Arizona first on the fifteenth, and Arizona is you know, they're thumping Colorado thirty eight to seven tonight, So Arizona's good. BYU is good TCU will be at home in Fort Worth.
Speaker 8: These guys are good.
Speaker 11: Everybody's good, so you might as well be good right along with him and take your chances.
Speaker 1: Seven teams in the Big twelve two losses or one or none, so it's it's shaping up to be a fantastic conference.
Speaker 8: Well, and you can't take anyone lightly.
Speaker 11: Houston just jumped into the top twenty five this week and they were seven and one, and they lose at home today to West Virginia forty five thirty five, So rich Rod gets one over the Cougars. I guess that might have been the Holgerson ball, since he used to coach at both the places, but he's he's long gone. He's at Nebraska offensive coordinator.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, and the view has to be spectacular there. Gosh, do you find yourself having to concentrate on the field.
Speaker 11: Well, once it gets dark, he really can't see these mountains as much as he did earlier. So yeah, and the lights are on so you really can focus.
Speaker 4: But yeah.
Speaker 11: My youngest son and his wife live in near Salt Lake City, so I've been out here a fair amount of times, and I tell them, one of these days I'm going to get tired of taking pictures. But it hasn't happened yet because I went on a walk today and it's just gorgeous. You can't help yourself, you know, but look around and look at everything. It's it's really awesome. But the bearcats can't look at the mountains. They got to keep climbing the hill.
Speaker 1: And Scott Springer before I let you go, just a couple of real keys here tonight for the for a bear Cat's victory.
Speaker 8: Well the keys.
Speaker 11: Tommy Walker has to get the run going and be successful with the run or whoever's running. And if they can't run, you know, like Manny Covey has been good at taking short dump passes it and getting yard ex that way, so that has to work.
Speaker 8: You got to keep sores v upright.
Speaker 11: It's only been sacked twice, and I think Utah sacked Colorado's quarterback seven times last week. So keeps sores v upright and then defensively pressure their quarterback.
Speaker 8: And it's not going to be easy because he's very elusive.
Speaker 11: Devin Damfier came from New Mexico and Utah's offensive court also came from New Mexico, and that's the system.
Speaker 8: That they run, So you have a very elusive quarterback.
Speaker 11: You just you're probably going to give up yards, but you know, maybe if you can just give up the yards between the twenties, you have a chance.
Speaker 1: Well, we really appreciate you joining us tonight, Scott, and we look forward to the broadcast here with with Dan Horde, Tony Pike and Moe Ager and hopefully it's a big night here for the Bearcats.
Speaker 8: They're all ready to go.
Speaker 11: It's a nice snug booth and Tony's got his skittles to the right here. I told him I would stay away from him because that's that's like his go.
Speaker 1: To fantastic All the best of the men, looking forward to the broadcast and reading your stuff in the Inquirer and Cincinnati dot Com. All righty, sir, thanks a lot, appreciate it, Scott Springer, and I hope Bryce in Cincinnati wants to talk Bearcats. I hope you'll hold on. We've got to take a break and we'll come back with more sports Talk on seven hundred WLW eight fifty six in the Queen City chick Ludwigs seven hundred WLW. This is Sports Talk and the Bearcats ranked seventeenth in the nation puts its seven game winning streak on the line tonight at Utah. Let's go out to the phones, Bryce, thank you so much for holding. Welcome to seven hundred WLW. All right, chick, how are we doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 1: Oh fantastic? What is on your mind tonight?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 1: I'm fired up over the Bearcats.
Speaker 3: I'm just so black.
Speaker 2: College game Day finally went to a Big twelfth city. Big twelve finally got the national attention.
Speaker 1: Amen to that I was able to watch for a little while this morning. The place looked just incredible.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that crowd was super electric. And I don't know if we're going to shut up at any point during this game tonight, the last time by Big twelve. Teams are right simultaneously in the AP Top twenty five. What September twenty second of last year, and we're about to seat the Big twelve Maniston and at ten to fifteen a kickoff Eastern time, as the UC Bearcats take on the usty youth.
Speaker 1: Man, you did your homework. Yeah. Five teams ranked out of the Big Twelve in the top twenty five, Number ten BYU the seventeenth ranked Bearcats, thirteenth ranked Texas Tech Red Raiders, the Cougars of Houston twenty second for the time being, although they got beat today and then yeah and then twenty fourth rank Utah. So it's a it's a great conference, it's a competitive conference. The top of it little the tighten up brother and uh, it's gonna be fun tonight watching the Bearcats. Hope they can pull this one out. Oh yeah, what else do you like about UC tonight?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think if there's any team that could put a rain on these Big ten I mean twelve teams perad, I think it's the UC Bearcats. And what Brendan Swersby has done. Scott Sadderfield during Big twe B Day earlier in the season, he was talking up a storm about Brendon Swersby and Brandon Sorosby backed it up. I mean, he's gone dead been straight games with the multiple pass tds and zero interceptions, and he's gonna have to keep that streak tonight to pull out of YUC victory.
Speaker 1: Forty three passing yards, twenty touchdowns and only one interception. That's absolutely incredible.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I compared the last year with the struggles that they had last year in the Big Twelve Conference. Is just great to see him.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they got so close to a Bowl eligibility then they went right down the tubes. So it's great to secure a Bowl eligibility so early in the season. And now let's just keep pushing. And I loved what Stanford Steve said on ESPN College Game Day. He likes the Bearcats to win the Big Twelve.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but the defense is gonna have to clutch up in this game at home. The opponents third out conversion percentage is about thirty percent away, it's almost fifty percent, and Utah is one of the best teams in the country on third down. To that defense is gonna have to really step up today.
Speaker 1: Bryce, thank you for holding you get my caller of the night. Appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, Jick.
Speaker 5: I have a great rest of your weekend.
Speaker 2: You'd hope you enjoy this new team football game.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we sure will, Thank you, Bryce. That is awesome. We've reached the top of the hour. News We go till nine fifteen tonight, getting you ready for UC and Utah. This is your host, Chick Ludwig on the Home of the Reds. The best Bengals coverage and the home of the University of Cincinnati Bearcats seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: To me.
Speaker 1: Ten minutes after nine in the Queen City of Cincinnati, Chick Ludwig, seven hundred WLW. This is sports Talk. We are five minutes away from UC football shoeless. Joe Waddell is tonight's producer. We're going to nine fifteen. Don't forget to set your alarm clocks back for an extra hour of sleep tonight as we transition from Daylight Savings time to standard time starting at two a m. On Sunday. What a matchup We've got to the number seventeenth ranked University of Cincinnati Bearcats against the number twenty four ranked Utah Utes at Rice Eckles Stadium in Salt Lake City. Kickoff is ten point fifteen, but all the coverage right here on the Big one seven hundred WLW starting at nine to fifteen, and it all happens at Rice Eckles Stadium in Salt Lake City, Utah. Well, and you heard Scott Springer say it, It's going to be very important for this offensive line of the UC Bearcats to keep Brendan Soresby upright twenty touchdown passes only one interception in a big time shout out to that offensive line. Left tackle Joe Cotton, Left guard Evan teng Gasol center, incredible player at center from zenia A High School, Gavin Gerhart, the leader of this team. Right guard tarn TiO and DeAndre Buford at tackle, and then in the trenches on defense, Micah Coleman left defensive end, the Godfather, Dante Corleone at nose tackle, and Jalen Hunt at right defensive end. I think you're gonna see more stacked boxes instead of the three to four, a lot more four down linemen for UC tonight to trying to slow down the Utah Utes running game. And then wow, the uh the special special teams unit's going to be huge tonight for U, see no doubt about that. And Max Fletcher the punter, and then how about Stephen Russknack your placekicker. He hasn't missed a kick, a field goal or an extra point all season. So it's uh. It's gonna be a severe test to night at Utah, but at the same time, a great opportunity for the seventeenth ranked Bearcats. Looking forward to the call from Dan Horde tonight along with the color analyst Tony Pike and our host on Gosh the Bearcats does a phenomenal job. Moeger and I know most going to update some college football scores. I want to do that right now. Old Miss the seventh ranked Rebels have a seventeen to fourteen lead over South Carolina midway through the third quarter. Michigan has pulled ahead of Purdue fourteen to ten with five minutes to go in the third quarter. NC State at halftime a twenty four to seventeen lead over Georgia, Tech, Tennessee and Oklahoma are tied to ten with two forty one to go before halftime, and Nebraska leads number twenty three ranked Southern Cal seventeen to six. Ohio State a big winner today over Penn State. The number one rank Buckeyes thirty eight to four thirteen over Penn State. Number two Indiana crushes Maryland fifty five to ten, and Number five Georgia a twenty four to twenty winner in Gainesville over the Florida Gators, and Texas, ranked twentieth in the nation, pulls out a thirty four to thirty one victory over the ninth ranked Vanderbilt Commodores in Austin, Texas. I want to take this opportunity to thank our guest tonight, Bruce Kozerski, Bengals legend. He's going to join me as a co host tomorrow for Bengals postgame sports talk following the Bengals Bears game one o'clock kickoff at pay Corpse Stadium. Bruce and I will be at the Wings and Rings in Oakley tomorrow night from five thirty to eight thirty. Hal McCoy joined us to talk Reds and Game seven of the World Series in the seven o'clock hour. Terrence Moore live from Atlanta. Also in the seven o'clock hour, talking about his book, My Big Red Machine. Google up Terrence Moore, It's a great read. And of course Scott Springer of The Inquirer and Cincinnati dot Com joining us to give us a preview of tonight's Utah UC game Texas Tech one. They're a half game behind co leaders BYU and UC and the Bearcats. Utah Utes are next right here on seven hundred WLW