Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassay for Dodger Talk. The Dodgers are wrapping up thirteen straight games in a row, and it's time now for the Managers Meeting taking place today, presented by Downy Hunday with the one and only Dave Roberts. Dave, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it, Dave, good to sit with you and chat. You know, coming off a couple of wins here in Denver, so in a good place right now. Offense is kind of rebounded, pitching has been good, so you know, want to close these guys out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just to get the pulse of you and the team after a couple of games here in Denver, what are the vibes? Are you convinced things are going in the right direction?
Speaker 2: I am, you know, I'm not totally still appreciating results matter, just kind of how we've gone about things the last couple of days. You know, I think the team at bats and what I mean by that is, you know, swinging at strikes, taking balls. Our swing percentage is lower, our chase rate is low, and then the production's gone up and I can see that from everyone in the lineup. So that's something to bet on going forward. So yeah, I think that we stacked a couple days together and just kind of the vibe right now. Guys are feeling good, they're looking forward to that off day coming up tomorrow, and then we've got another one on Monday, so you know, guys are in a good spot.
Speaker 1: Dave, You've taught us a lot over the years, But the one thing that stands out to me is how you've talked about earning good counts, which in turn has good results. Where does that come from individually and collectively?
Speaker 2: Well, I think first it is collectively in the sense of really understanding that that philosophy and buying into it, and then individually just understanding that, yeah, you get four balls for a walk, three balls for a strikeout, but they're all valuable, right, and so that dictates what a pitcher is going to do, what he can do, what he can't do, and so you know, you take that first pitch slider off, you want to know you've earned a better opportunity where if they want to be too fine again and nibble, then you could be two to zero.
Speaker 3: And so those are.
Speaker 2: Things that I think that you continue to earn good counts and then you look at the body of work, then you look at you're in good counts, and then you have more production.
Speaker 1: Since you took over. I remember being next to your dugout and those group of players and yourself would always be screaming at the hitter at the plate, keep going, keep going. Do you feel like that's the identity you have to rediscover?
Speaker 2: I do, you know, and we have it as part of our DNA, But I think sometimes in a one sixty two marathon, you know, it's a grind, and every hitter will say that, then it gets kind of lost a little bit, and you got to kind of bring that to the forefront.
Speaker 3: And yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Could be O too, and you know, you win a pitch right there, you get back to one, two, and you just keep going and you you you know, in Max months he did it a couple a couple of nights ago where he was O two and one. A couple pitches, got back to two to two, spoiled to two inside heater, and then got to three and the next pitch was a homer.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So those are things that you keep fighting, you keep going and not just just wave the white flag.
Speaker 1: Dave your best player show, Hey, Otani told me last night, yes, it was nice to hit his thirtieth home run of the year, but he was lamenting the fact that his other ad bats he wasn't able to drive in runs in those situations. Is that a good feeling, a good tone setter from the best player?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 2: It is, And I think that everyone praises the homer and the things that you can kind of see, but you know, not getting a guy in from third base, not getting a guy over second base, those are things when you have great players that lament, as you said, you know value those things, and you know that's when you have a championship culture, and you know, to hear show Hey say that, that kind of that gives me goosebumps.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts with goosebumps here. I got another question for Otani in last night. I asked him whether or not he's paying attention to what PCA is doing in Chicago. He would not concede that he is, But how much do you believe the MVP and the way PCA is pushing him this year is a factor going down the stretch.
Speaker 2: You know, Showhey is always going to want to be his best version, right and realize whatever expectation he has for himself. But obviously, I think he's a very smart in tune player that it's hard not to ignore that. And you know, you only get so many chances to be an MVP, and obviously he's done it, you know, many times over. But you know, you got another guy making some noise. So I'm certain he's aware of it. But it certainly doesn't play into is every at that kind of mindset? But I'm glad it's funny that he played Little koy.
Speaker 1: What about the pitching side of it? Everybody keeps debating PCA's defense and Otani's fourteen starts this year. Where are we with the possibility of Otani returning.
Speaker 2: Well, he's had two good bullpen sessions right around thirty five pitches, and he's either gonna you know, another bullpen here at home over the weekend, or do a live session at some point soon, a one inning session to build off of that. But I could see early September him, you know, coming back and you know, building up from an inning to two innings and going forward.
Speaker 1: Are you comfortable with all that? Doing what you did last year with the rehab starts being at the major league level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we all are.
Speaker 2: We're all aligned from show Hey to the front office, to the training staff, coaching staff, and he's one of our best pitchers. So any inning we can get from him is certainly valuable and additive.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we're good with it.
Speaker 1: The manager's meeting is presented by Downey Hyundai. We're in the manager's office with the great Dave Roberts. You obviously had to put Edwin Diaz back on the il. Whatever's happening with the neck and him getting back on track. Does he have enough time to show whether or not he can be a weapon for you in the postseason or is he running out of time?
Speaker 3: He certainly has enough time.
Speaker 2: What we came back from the doctors with the MRI nothing, there was no founding, so that was good and so now it's just kind of, you know, get back to feeling good, feeling like yourself. There's some things that we can do to loosen up the neck, but for me, he's one of our best pictures.
Speaker 3: He will be, you know.
Speaker 2: We'll give him every opportunity, obviously to be on the postseason roster, and I don't know what role he'll have when he comes back, and I know he wants to earn that opportunity, that right to be at the back end. But yeah, get him back to health, get him back on the roster, and then we'll see where we go from there.
Speaker 1: You guys are still trying to win games, still trying to position yourselves in the top two seeds. Does the best thirteen pitchers start to enter your mind? Or are we a little bit too early for that?
Speaker 2: I think right now it's a little premature, But I think that when we get into the middle of September then it starts to we kind of hone in on that a little bit more.
Speaker 1: I know you talked about this a couple of times as well, but I'd be remiss if I didn't ask you about the conversations you've had with Kyle Tucker, how you're trying to manage him. And I guess the biggest thing that everybody's asking, does he have somebody to lean on?
Speaker 3: Or are you that guy? You know what, I hope I'm that guy.
Speaker 2: I think that I'm proactively intentionally building a relationship with him, And you know, he's a hard guy to get to know and build trust with, and but you know, I think that We've made a lot of end roads and I feel really good with our relationship and just kind of making sure he's not alone in this. And he's got teammates and staff that are supporting him. But I definitely want to be a person that, you know, for counsel and support. I mean, that's part of my job. So I thought last night was a good sign. I thought defensively he was much more active. Defensively, I thought they had that that he had the double was great and the intent, So let's just keep stacking it and kind of make sure that he restores his confidence.
Speaker 1: Fair Enough, you got to win the day, and Dave Roberts is going to win today, tomorrow, and on Saturday, Dave Roberts is going to be at one of my favorite places, Cardboard Legends, starting at ten thirty out there in Van Eyes, and Dave's going to be out there kissing babies, sunning autographs, having a great time in my neck of the woods. Have you ever been to Van Eyes, Dave? Do you know what Van Eyes is all about?
Speaker 3: I have been into the valley.
Speaker 2: I do love Van Eyes, and I don't do these things very often, but this is going to be funny it's a chance for me to get with the fans, be personal, shake hands, as you said, kiss babies, and take photos and do some signing. So this is funny.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I'll be out there for a couple hours and then get ready to manage a ball game. But I really enjoyed thanks for bringing that up.
Speaker 1: Hey, I got goosebumps. You're going to be in the Great one eight.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. Absolutely, I love that. I love your hood, Dave. Thanks a lot for the time, Dave. Enjoy your day off.
Speaker 1: And obviously the Dodgers are doing pretty well these days, with seventy six wins in counting. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 3: All right, Dave, we'll catch up next week.