Speaker 1: Jase here, it is election day. Do you miss the old you were on the on the political beat there for a minute or two?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, man, I do miss it. And uh I miss I missed the.
Speaker 3: Adrenaline rush of being in the newsroom on election night. However, you get that adrenaline rush a lot more in sports on every every Sunday. Covering a Bengals game reminds me a lot of of covering an election.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not being facetious.
Speaker 3: That's actually we joke about in sports because it's like there's a lot of election nights on the sports side of things.
Speaker 1: Well, this guy has been involved in many an election night. He is Polly pi at UC. He is a great friend of this show. He is professor doctorate if you will, David Niven from the University of Cincinnati. Uh, Dave, how you.
Speaker 4: Doing, man, I'm doing well, Addie. That's that's quite the intro here.
Speaker 1: I can kind of sounds that we tried to build you up to get you keep coming back, Eddie.
Speaker 3: I missed talking to this guy, calling him up and blowing him up about everything. But I know he's apprecive that I'm not calling him all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask you, besides this a stupid radio host to bugging you all the time, David, what did guys like Jason be bugging you all the time as well?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. I mean I got every every everybody in the election world today, and then I had to wake up this morning and talk about our former Vice president Dick Cheney. So it's been a busy day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, Well let's talk about this election, and first off, the local ramifications here. Do you see all the rigmar role going on with the mayor and the police chief having any effect at all? Or do the people in the outlet in the in the burbs really pay that much attention to what's going on downtown you told me.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think the short answer is if this were a competitive rates it's this, you know, we're two candidates on reasonably equal footing, then the whole election could hinge on this. But I mean, you've got a couple of things going on, you know. One you know is this is the first Republican in in Bawman running for mayor in more than fifteen years. For a reason, because this is this is not an easy task, and you know, this is not.
Speaker 5: A particularly fruitful path.
Speaker 6: And then, of course the other aspect of this is Cincinnati has such an odd system of government. You know, in a in an we'll call it normal city, a mayor could fire the police chief and would have a much more direct line of authority accountability over things. You know, Cincinnati kind of breaks everything into into pieces, and those pieces into pieces, so you know, it kind of muddies the water. Certainly Mayor Piirval would have preferred not to have this bit of turmoil, you know, on the agenda right now. But you know it's just a question of you know, is it a sixty point win or a seventy point win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Professor Niven, I thought of this, I don't know, within the past week or so, just with all the stuff that's going on with crime and the police chief, and you know, videos coming out about the brawl, and you know that that being continuing to be a narrative in this election. If you're the again, this is something to talk about tomorrow and days after. But I think we all know how you just said, the results of this AFTAB is going to win if you are the Republicans and the Charter rights. Are you sitting here kicking yourself thinking, knowing, knowing now what's come about, and if they would have put up a more better known, well funded candidate, would that candidate potentially have had a shot.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think, yes, you're kicking yourself just because this opportunity, this window isn't going to open in every every cycle. And you know what you have is basically this this kind of part time you know, mayoral candidate who you know, it was a nice oddity and got a little attention, but wasn't seriously running to be mayor of Cincinnati. And you know, obviously we saw four years ago, you know, in David Mann, you know, a credible a credible opponent for for now mayor, pure ball and it still isn't easy and he got his clock cleaned. But you know, that's that's the very first rule of all of this. You know, when when you talk about well, you know, how does you know, how does the how does the party that's the underdog, how does it ever win? You know, how do the Democrats have the governor's office in Kentucky? Well they have the governor's office because they put up an incredible candidate. And you know, how are you ever going to knock in, you know, and get yourself in the in the mayor's office, knock in that door. Well, you better start with a super credible candidate. And it is particularly ironic that we have this kind of alumni force of former council members running for council in this cycle, you know, rather than one of them running for mayor.
Speaker 1: Right, we're talking to David Niven, and Dave, let's talk about the national ramifications of what President Trump has done his first year in office. How is that going to I mean, we're looking at we're looking at the mayoral race in New York City. Everybody's all wound up about that New Jersey governor, Virginia governor, the redistrict in California. What do you see happening nationwide with all this stuff?
Speaker 6: Well, truth is, of course, it's a little silly to talk about, but it's actually a very real effect that you know, national politics matters all the way down even into these Cincinnati races in terms of we're seeing turnout boosts in every special election, in every local election this year heading into today, and it's based on people wanting to have a chance to vote and voice their disagreement with the administration and I mean, we literally have seen this in special elections in several states for state legislative offices, and we've seen this in city races. So you know, I do think it is a there's going to be a telling set of numbers when the day is done. You know, if we see a democratic boost, you know in those states that you mentioned, like New Jersey and Virginia, but also even just in Cincinnati, I mean, they're going to be people who show up to vote not because they particularly care about the city council or the mayor's race, but just because they want to participate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of piggybacking along those lines, all this stuff about mom don Mamdani in New York and how that's become a national story. And I guess you know a lot of times, you know, those of us across the country at least pay attention of politics on a casual basis kind of know who the mayor of New York is?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: Do you are you reading deeper into that or are you I don't know. There's three guys in that race, and if that were a head to head between Cuomo and mom Donnie, is that a different story there.
Speaker 6: I mean, I do think it would be a different race. But you know, Cuomo has done one of the most spectacular jobs you know, in the history of politics of getting a segment of the population to seriously dislike him, you just despise him. I mean, that's a unique talent.
Speaker 5: Not everybody can pull that up.
Speaker 6: He's done it, true, So I do think the dynamic would be different one on one, but I think the bottom line in the end would be, you know, people would enthusiastically vote against him, and others would have to be dragged to the polls holding their nose to vote for him. So I don't think he wins. That wins that either way. But this does absolutely make make the Cuomo scenario even less.
Speaker 3: Like, what do you what do you make of the fact that you know, all the socialist thing of mom, Donnie and and I know there's fear mongering from at least certain certain media outlets or whatever about you know, a socialist getting elected to such a big seat like that. I saw George will on Bill Maher last week saying this is a good thing. You know, every once in a while you need to you need to show the country that socialism doesn't work. But what do you make of that, is that does this give hope to the socialist movement so to speak, across the country or is this just kind of one off and everybody will see that this really doesn't work.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, it's it's been a tough century or two for the socialist political.
Speaker 2: Movement, sure when it started.
Speaker 5: Give them a moment in the sun.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think the bottom line is this is this is people driven. You know, it's easy to throw labels out there, but if they didn't have a very, very talented candidate, yeah, you know, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. And I think that's that's true across the board. And you know what makes New York compelling, you know, New York City compelling? Why we we should be talking about it. It's got a government that's as big as a state. So you know, this is you know, you know, a a government structure that's bigger than the structure of the government of Ohio a significant figure. But you know, let's keep in mind, you know, the Democratic Party is strong there and it's going to assert its will. You know, for all of the tumult of the Atoms administration in New York, you know, it's still a city that pursues policies well inside the mainstream of the Democratic Party, and I would look for that to continue. It's, you know, it's nice to have a you know, a prominent mayor on the socialist side from the socialist perspective, but that doesn't mean you suddenly get your way on everything.
Speaker 3: As as they say, campaigning is different than governing right.
Speaker 6: Right, and it's very different. And you know, a famous Onion headline, I won't quote a word for word, but you know it's it's a mock headline in the voice of Bill de Blasio saying, well, well, well, well, it's not so easy to get a mayor who isn't terrible?
Speaker 5: Is it New York?
Speaker 6: And you know, it's a it's a really really challenging job. I mean, in no joking terms, it's a challenging job. And you know, I think the folks who've thrived in it, you know, people like Bloomberg who certainly thrived as mayor, you know, had a certain levelness to them and you know, an ability to just literally show up and do the job. It's it's it's I think, ultimately a job that reveals your you know, lack of attention span or or lack of clarity of purpose, and that's certainly eaten up a number of recent mayors.
Speaker 1: All right with that, David, and we will let you go, buddy, Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Great stuff.
Speaker 5: All right, boys, it was a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much. Thank you, David Niven Polysi you see. And yeah, great insight to what's going on around here and what's going on around the country.
Speaker 3: Always great insight. There's a reason why we all call him because he knows a lot about a lot and gives you a great common sense perspective on all this stuff.
Speaker 1: With that, we check in with traffic and weather, what is going.
Speaker 7: On from the UC Health Traffic Center. Lung Cancer Rapid Access program at the u See Cancer Center is built to give you a care plan fast meet with a specialist in two days called five win three five eighty five. You see, you see, you see breakdown in two seventy five west bound on ran from seventy one is who We've got the right lane ticket up seventy five south pod Ron Reagan Highway to Norwoo latter of about a five minute drive that's through the road work that has so times. Back to Cooper Man on seventy five southbound as their Charles of the Brent Spence Bridge and northbound seventy five Mitchell de Padock, We're stout, but go also on seventy one northbound between Highway fourteen and seventy five in Kentucky. He's got a moving war crew down there in the left lane, so we've got about a ten to fifteen minute delay. I'm rick Shrimp. Produce Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: The FORECAF from the seven hundred WLW Weather Center for tonight partly cloudy, the lower forty seven for tomorrow partly cloudy and seventy It is sixty three now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: You send hours raking the leaves from your yard, only to half to rake them again and again and again. If only all the leaves could fall at once. Well, now they can call tree shakers.
Speaker 1: Shake you, Shaking down.
Speaker 8: NCUM our specialized staff of x NFL linemen, Suma wrestlers and women's shot putters can shake your trees bear in minutes, freeing up your fall. Shaking down tree Shakers, toss the rake, andy give it a shame.
Speaker 9: Tree Shakers a sponsor of the seven hundred WLW talkback button on the iHeartRadio ass.
Speaker 10: This report is sponsored by Continental Roof Company, Best Products, best Price.
Speaker 11: The first time Continental Roof Company discover the value of family driven service, whether it's a simple repair or a new installation, Their local experts are ready to provide the quality you deserve. Called Continental Roof Company today or visit my sinsyroof for dot com for a free estimate.
Speaker 1: Hey, more and more of these days, people in pain are looking beyond traditional medicine and finding lasting relief without steroids, medications, or surgery. Right here in Cincinnati at QC Kinetics, your blood contains tiny but mighty healing tools. At QC Kinetics, the medical team gets to the root of where your pain stems from, right down to the cells involved. By putting these natural elements to work, your body can revitalize your joints literally using your own power to heal. It is a simple eng action, no hospital state. It's all fast, all natural, and there's no downtime. If your back, knees, or shoulders are keeping you from enjoying life, explore all your options before you agree to more pills or surgery. Call QC Kinetics today to take charge. Of your health and look beyond the same old, same old solutions. Your first consultation is free, so there's no reason to wait. Call QC Kinetics now five one three eight four seven oh one nine five one three eight four seven zero zero nineteen.
Speaker 7: Behind on mortgage payments, facing costly repairs, or maybe you don't want the hassle of listing with a realtor.
Speaker 1: Back with Eddie and Jason Williams from the Inquiry in for Rocky Today. Rock is in Toledo, lovely Toledo, Ohio.
Speaker 2: It's uh, it's November, so that means it's maction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's going to be doing I think he's got the Uh, he's going to be in my Oxford next week. He's got to Miami game.
Speaker 2: He does. He does have the game Miami next week, Toledo tonight.
Speaker 1: So Jason, everybody's these days talking about we've been all wound up about the price of eggs now for about five years and uh, and now everything is just more expensive, it seems like day to day. And we've all heard what was the what's the shrink flation? Shrink flation? Yes, when you you know, you get a bag of chips, and it used to and it doesn't sound like much, but it used to whatever it used to be, twelve ounces, and now it's ten and a half or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, same same size bag.
Speaker 1: Right, same size bag, a little more air, same price, yeah, or more or even more. But now we are besides shrink flation, we have skimpflation and sneak flation and flation flation. Hell, I don't know what else, what kind of flation half But we're gonna be talking to a good friend, Bill Dendy, our financial guy, about all this stuff. And you know, that's it's one of those things that I uh. And by the way, we we don't have Tanya Shue. They have election day to day obviously, so they're they're quite busy at nine. But and that's one of those things. And I think everybody noticed this along the way. Get a bag because I love me some potato chips. Get a bag of chips, and you open the damn thing and all of a sudden, what's up? All that air comes out of there and you're reaching that bag and you reach halfway and you're half of your arm has disappeared into the bag before you strike chip. You know what I'm saying, It's going even deeper now. Yeah, absolutely, and you're paying more for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And sneak flation is that that has to do with it? Well, well we'll just.
Speaker 2: What Bill says, but gimpflation.
Speaker 1: That sounds a little but it's all you know, look Riskue And we've talked about restaurants before. It's gotta be real tough to be in the restaurant business right now. I don't envy those folks at all.
Speaker 12: Man.
Speaker 3: No, And it feels like I've talked with our you know we you've had him on there, you like Keith PANDOLPHI from the Inquiries that he did a story on, you know, a couple of years ago, and uh, he and I talked. I'm like, man, it's crazy how many restaurant closings there seem to be like every month, like you see something that's closing yep, and uh and then when I see a new restaurant go in somewhere, I'm like, good luck, good luck fellas or ladies like you ever opened it, because uh, that's a tough go. We're gonna be talking to Bill Dendy about all this shrink flation whatever flationflation. It's coming up after the news right now. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: News, traffic, and weather. News Radio seven hundred.
Speaker 14: W l W Cincinnati deciding who's in the driver's seat downtown with the three point thirty report.
Speaker 2: I'm Jack Crumley breaking.
Speaker 15: Now, what do you think about the possibility of a divided council. We'll see how that goes later today, But what are your thoughts are working for?
Speaker 16: It's hard to predict what's going to happen later today, But what I'm focused on for the rest of today is reminding folks of all of the incredible work this Council has done over the past four years to grow our economy, to invest in public safety, to grow our affordable housing supply, and you know, the future is bright.
Speaker 4: We just got to keep going.
Speaker 14: Incumbent Cincinnati Mayor f tab Pirvaal speaking today on this election day. He is running for reelection against Republican Corey Bowman.
Speaker 4: All that depends on who shows up today.
Speaker 17: Obviously, based on the numbers that we're seeing from early voting, I'm the very encouraged mayoral candidate.
Speaker 18: Corey Bowman says he'll win if enough people go to the polls. At a political event here at Price will Chili this aftern and he said there's a real chance of beating mayor year of all.
Speaker 17: We're working like crazy throughout the day to make sure that everybody knows the poles are open till seven thirty tonight. So in these winter months, you know it might it's darker outside earlier, but a lot of people need to realize it. To look at your clocks if it's before seven thirty, get to a poll and vote.
Speaker 18: From the West Side. Matt Reeves News Radio seven hundred WYLBD.
Speaker 14: Other notable races today. It's a crowded field for Cincinnati City Council, more than two dozen running for nine seats, and the Lakota School District is asking voters for one of the biggest levies in state history, looking to build multiple new school buildings and more. Now the latest traffic and weather together from the UC Health Traffic Center, the Lung Cancer Rapid Access Program at the UC Cancer Center don't to give you a care planing fast meet with a specialist in two days called five pine three five eight five U see se see breakdown in two seventy five westpond On ramp from seventy one and is on the entrance ramp and the right lane has taken out seventy five this selling south bound Ron Reagan Highway to Norwood lateral traffic Cavey from Cooper about a five minute delay.
Speaker 7: Woos your pike at Oak Police on the scene of a crash. We've got seventy five north bound Mitchell de Paddock in southbound seventy five Meser Charles of the Brent Spence Stop and Go. Also on seventy five north Boy Dixie Highway to the Brent Spence in Kentucky, looking at about a five minute trip. I'm rich Srepnews Radio seven hundred double d welldub.
Speaker 14: Also seeing some delays in Fairfax on US fifty that's going to be affecting both directions. Right around Belmont Street, You're backed up a bit into Marymont Square and eastbound is backed up into the Red Bank Interchange.
Speaker 13: Now the latest forecast from the Train Heating and Cooling Weather Center on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 14: Taking a look in the forecast for this afternoon. Partly cloudy, dry and pleasant, and it should stay that way into much of the night Tonight. The overnight low forty seven degrees for tomorrow, mostly sunny, breezy, and warmer. A high of sixty seven. That's going to be the warmest day that we see for a while. As on Wednesday, nights and clouds and temperatures in the thirties, and then on Thursday sunny, high in the upper fifties. Rain returns on Friday, storms possible. We are looking at highs in the forties by the start of next week. Great art right now showing clear sunny skies in the tri State sixty two degrees. Explaining a post on the internets.
Speaker 19: The administration is fully complying with the court order. I just spoke to the President about it. The recipients of these staff benefits need to understand it's going to take some time to.
Speaker 20: Receive this money.
Speaker 14: The White House says SNAP benefits will be paid in compliance with orders from federal courts. Press Secretary Caroline Levitt today clarified a social media post made by President Trump this morning that said the benefits would not be paid until Democrats reopened the government. She says the President was referring to not wanting to tap into an emergency fund any further to pay SNAP benefits. Meantime, the US Supreme Court will hear arguments over President Trump's tariffs tomorrow. The President recently suspended trade talks with Canada over TV commercials by the government of Ontario critical of the tariffs. President said that Ontario was trying to influence the Supreme Court's decision in that case. And it was seventy six year old Soukanta Panda of Westchester who was killed after a crash involving a semi truck on Ronald Reagan yesterday. Investigators say the car he was in was on the right shoulder with a flat tire at the time. A woman in the car was injured. No word yet if any charges will be filed on Wall Street. Still about a half hour to go in the trading session. The Dow is down two hundred and fifty eight points. Nasdack down four ninety eight. That's almost two percent. The SNP is down about one percent, losing seventy five.
Speaker 13: Seven one hundred. WLW Sport.
Speaker 21: Here's a Bengals obdey, brought to you by Good Spirits at Party Town thirteen locations in northern Kentucky. The Bengals trading linebacker Logan Wilson of the Dallas Cowboys today for a seventh round draft pick.
Speaker 7: Here's Evan McPherson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tough to see see him go, but that's part of the NFL.
Speaker 21: Jess Corner and former UC standout Sauce Gardners headed to the Indianapolis colt for two first round draft picks. College football Tonight, Miami RedHawks up again, So Ohio you. At seven o'clock Red's update, the Reds have signed free agent and former Chicago Cubs right hander Keegan Thompson phill Edison seven out of Wow Sports.
Speaker 14: I'm Jack Crumbley. Our next update at four o'clock. Breaking News Anytime. News Radio seven hundred wl.
Speaker 9: Seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati and iHeartRadio Station make us the number one pre set on your car radio and on the free, new and improved iHeartRadio App. Listen for all your music, radio and podcast free. Never sounded so good. News Radio seven hundred and WLW.
Speaker 1: He has a party and you back it the free iHeartRadio App.
Speaker 15: Live Radio.
Speaker 1: Back with Eddie and Jason Williams in for Rocky Today and Jace. We were talking about it going into going into the news. We've all heard a shrink flation, but there's well now there's more flation stuff going on, and here to discuss is is our good friend, our financial guy, our money manager, a CPA. He knows all, he sees all when it comes to your finances. He is our good friend. Bill Dendy, Bill, welcome back to the program.
Speaker 4: Guys. It's great to be with you.
Speaker 1: So Bill, we're talking about this stuff. And we you know, we've all heard of the shrink flation where you know, you used to get whatever, fifteen ounces of potato chips and now you get thirteen ounces in the same sized bag and that and on and on and on. But now we have skimflation and sneak flation.
Speaker 4: Explain well, it's kind of funny.
Speaker 22: Companies are looking for ways to lower their calls to production without messing up their margins, and one of the things that they're turning to is using lower quality ingredients.
Speaker 4: That's skimflation.
Speaker 22: And they're like, well, gosh, we can't charge more, the consumers will quit buying our and so we can put less product in the package and that helps. Or instead of using real butter, we can use something else. Or instead of being ice cream, let's make it a frozen dairy treat.
Speaker 4: Instead of being.
Speaker 22: Chicken, let's make chicken pieces or chicken like substance and if people can't tell the difference, well, then we get to increase the margins without increasing the prices.
Speaker 4: And this is kind of a.
Speaker 22: It'd be great if it really worked, but the problem is you can taste the difference. You can tell it's not the same product. And it's only after you take the time to read the fine print you're like, oh my gosh, they've changed the ingredients. The grains that they're using are less expensive in the granola. The sugar that they're using is now going to be the corn syrup. The creams are no longer creams. It's a milk and buy products and it's not the same. And so for consumers it feels their dishonest when you become the victim of skimflation.
Speaker 7: Bill A.
Speaker 3: Is there an example of a company out there who's in the crosshairs of this very thing? And then b are companies doing this because of you know, higher costs of shipping they're trying to hedge here and cut off or you know what's going on with that.
Speaker 22: Well, for a while, it was the price of oil and the shipping costs, and we had that backlog. But at this point, this is more the result of the high inflation we experienced a couple of years ago finally to catch up with cost. You know, companies, when they had the higher prices of their supplies, their inputs, a lot of them didn't raise their prices. They started absorbing some of the negative impacts of inflation, and they didn't want to raise their prices because if they raised their prices, they ran the risk of losing market share. And so instead of raising the prices, they reduced the portions size, and we got used to seeing that, and then the next step was, well, if nobody else is raising their prices, and that's the first thing consumer see. If we can't lower the portion size, let's lower the cost of what we're putting into the ingredients. And that was the skinflation. But when you change ingredients or manufacturing processes, even when you change packaging, it takes a while from the corporate boardroom where the decision is made to not raise the prices but to combat inflation to do something else, to the time it gets to the shelves. And so I think what we're seeing this year is a lot of this stuff has finally just found it to the shelves and consumers are noticing it. But it's the impact of the inflation we all witnessed a couple of years ago and companies choosing not to raise their prices because studies have shown that if you raise your prices, you're four times more likely to get a negative response from a consumer, that is, they go someplace else, versus if you just cut the package size or cut the cost of ingredients, they're less like to leave you. They may be frustrated, but they're less likely to go away. And then the other thing that you know we talked about is sneak place where it's not so much at the grocery store, but when they start charging for things that used to be free. My personal example was a trip to Vegas a couple months ago. I was surprised with the airline that you know, you want a seat on this plane, Well you got you got a space, but you don't have a seat. There is a charge for any seat unless you want the last roll that doesn't reclimb. We got a free seat there, but every other seat's going to cost you. And you want to take a bag, well, the carry ons now charge costs as well.
Speaker 4: And these things used to be free.
Speaker 22: And then you get to the hotel and they're like, uh, yeah, the hotel price is this, but there's a forty dollars a night resort fee. I'm like, well, what do you get for the resort fee and they say, well, you get to use our swimming pool and you get free internet. I'm like, for forty dollars a night that should have been disclosed somewhere because that didn't.
Speaker 4: Used to be the case at this place.
Speaker 22: And they're like, yeah, but everybody else is doing it. So instead of raising the prices of the hotel, or instead of raising the prices of the airline tickets, they sneak in something else that used to be free at an additional cost, and studies have shown that over several years. The Senate report said the airlines have made about twelve billion dollars from seat selection fees over the past five years from twenty eighteen to twenty twenty three, So it's replacing lost revenues that they would have had had they raised their prices. They didn't have to raise their prices, but they increased their revenues to offset some of their additional costs. With this sneaky way of adding costs to things that used to be free.
Speaker 1: We're talking to Bill Dendy and Bill, Yeah, I was reading a story not too long ago that it's starting to Vegas is starting to get backlash on that because they're most notorious for it, where yeah, you know, it used to be able to Well that's cool. You can get a room on the strip for you know, seventy five dollars a night. That's great. Well, then they charge you seventy five dollars you know, resort fee. Like you said, they they charge you seventy bucks to park and the buffet that used to be five ninety nine is now seventy nine ninety nine. So yeah, they get you man, And people are starting with that push back.
Speaker 4: We could have had a Caribbean vacation or something. I don't know, but.
Speaker 22: It's gonna take a lot of consumers voting with their pocketbooks. And I think the consumers will I think that a lot of corporations will rethink these policies. But we we haven't had this kind of fight with inflation for a couple of decades, and so they have inflation come back, and companies aside, instead of raising prices, we're gonna figure we're gonna solve it some other way, well, I think they're gonna find that their solutions are going skinpy on the ingredients will cost them customers. Eventually, they'll just take customers a while to figure out who's still offering quality.
Speaker 4: And I think that the.
Speaker 22: Place like Vegas who over gollogs will one day find that they're not bringing in more tourists because of that, and those that come back and say, here's the real deal, even if it's eighty dollars a night, they'll actually attract happier consumers and the markets will self adjust. But for now, I think a lot of consumers are going to need to be a little bit more vigilant than what we've been in the past and be aware of what are we actually getting when we make our purchase. Is it the same ingredients as it used to be? Are there any hidden fees or additional costs that are oh there, they are right there and the fine print at the bottom that are not shown on the front line when they have the price shown on the cost per nde.
Speaker 4: Or the costs for your airfare.
Speaker 22: And I think consumers are getting more savvy, but I think a lot of people were hit with this all at the same time, so there is a consumer backlash, and some consumers say, not fair. You're going to change the ingredients. Congress should make a law. There would be a law against that, sure enough. There might be laws coming out real soon that say, if you're going to change your ingredients, you have to say not the old ingredient, or new packaging or new pricing, or not as much as it used to be in this package. I don't know what they're going to do, but I hate more laws. But I do think that consumers have been caught off guard, and it was a dangerous game that companies were deciding to play when they decided not to just go ahead and raise their prices and pass on the cost to the consumer directly, but try to hide it in some other way.
Speaker 3: Build kind of a bigger picture of what you're all the stuff that you're talking about here are high grocery prices, or the grocery prices, you know, the food prices even restaurants, whatever the price we're paying for food. And it seems like it's been here for a while. Now are those here to stay or the It just it's hard to see going back now, right? Are we going to go back to the day I don't know prior to when it all kind of go crazy, like right right after the pandemic, when we go back to the pre pandemic, you know, food prices.
Speaker 22: Yeah, I like your question because you know, a lot of people believe that when inflation's under control, it means that everything goes back to where it was.
Speaker 4: But that's not what it means.
Speaker 22: It means that price is quite increasing by the hyper fast rate. They just increased at a slower rate, but they generally don't go down yet. Some companies, I think it was McDonald's, got a lot of backlash because their meals were gotten up to fifteen dollars plus, and so they responded back after the negative backlash by saying, okay, here is the new five dollars meal deal, and the five dollar meal deal came back. It wasn't the same, it was the trimmed down versions perhaps, but they responded positively back and regained some market share, perhaps because they were the only ones offering the real deals.
Speaker 4: And going back.
Speaker 22: We see how Walmart rolled back the prices to where they used to be, but it's rare. Generally, once you have inflation, things we don't go back down. But the one thing you mentioned just a few moments ago, was it is that the high costs of transportation causing these things to go up, And it had been, but the price of oil has come down dramatically. And I spent some time in Midland, Texas just yesterday talking to those in the oil patch, saying that it's amazing that now we have more production coming out of the United States of America than they have in the Soviet Union, more production than coming out of Saudi Arabia. The United States has taken over the wild is number one oil producer again, which is wonderful, and then not so wonderful for the price of oil. They're saying. The price of oil has gone down. So it's one thing that you did see come down over the past few years. As we've increased our production. We have plenty of supply, and had that not come down, we would see a lot worse inflationary numbers in our systems. Here today, we still have inflation, but not as bad as it would have been if oil prices had stayed at those higher levels. And I think that we do have some areas everything's transported, so when price of oil is up, it costs a little bit more from most goods that you're going to purchase. And then many primary ingredients of products come from oil, and so the petroleum industry having lower costs for a lot of our inputs means that we have controlled some inflation. But I don't think prices are going back to where they were in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 1: All right, with that, build Dendy. We will let you go, buddy. It is always our pleasure. Thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: God bless you. It's been a real pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our financial strategists to build Dandy with the sneakflation, skimpflations, some cheery cheery news, shrinkflation, yeah, huh huh, no, none of that's good with that. We check in with traffic and weather.
Speaker 2: What is going on.
Speaker 7: I just opened up a half bag of chips last night, right that I've paid full price for it.
Speaker 1: Of course, what's filling me is like the same bag of now has less in it, but it costs about fifty cents more.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly, Yeah, there ought to be a law. He's right. I'm with him from the UC Health Traffic Center of the Lung Cancer Rapid Access Program at the UC Cancer Center is built to give you a care plan fast meet with a specialist in two days. Go five one, three, five, eight five U see ce see seventy one north bound after ridge accident with a left shoulder taking up got police on the scene here into seventy five westbound on ramp from seventy one. Breakdown here on the entrance rap is still being attended to. That's in the right lane Wooster Pike at Oak Police on the scene of a crash and seventy five northbound is sluggish Mitchell to Paddock and southbound between Western Avenue and the brent Spence Bridge. And also on seventy five. This is southbound from the Brent Spence down to Kyle Side. It's about a seven minute trip. I'm Rick Shrampdews Radio seven hundred WDLW.
Speaker 1: The forecast from the seven hundred WLW Weather Center for tonight partly cloudy. The law will forty seven for tomorrow, partly cloudy and seventy It is sixty three now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 15: I can't count on my husband, but I can count on Willie.
Speaker 2: Willie is here for you.
Speaker 4: I just want to curl up in his arms and hear his words.
Speaker 2: Here to soothe your fears. Soothe me, Bill Cunningham, soothe me.
Speaker 15: Here to stand strong like the great American that I am.
Speaker 2: I'm not joking. I'd drink his dirty bath water me too. All you have to do is listen to me the great American.
Speaker 3: Bill Cunningham, tomorrow at twelve noon on seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 10: This report is sponsored by Apollo Home, your source for plumbing, heating, and air and electrical.
Speaker 15: Turn your past HBAC repair bills into up to twenty five hundred dollar tech guy.
Speaker 1: He knows all, he sees all. Our good friend, Dave Hatter. Dave, No, You're always sending the c stories. And one that really caught my eye this week is the headline is Russia. Russia, China increasingly using AI to escalate cyber attacks in the United States. So let me I just got me to think in this and I'm in the most simple terms that I can think of, and I'm pretty simple. Are we constantly being barraged with cyber attacks from all sides every single minute of every single day.
Speaker 12: Now, well, Eddie, I would say you're not only right, you're underestimating. It's more like barads by cyber attacks on all sides every millisecond of the day. You know a lot of people who've been in this for a while may remember all kinds of like personal firewall tools like the alarm where you could set it up on your personal computer and it would show you the sheer number of outside let's say, queries or probes against your computer and it would usually be mind blowing.
Speaker 4: People.
Speaker 12: I would bet you if you win and you asked your I people there at iHeart to tell you how often in a day is there some sort of probe against our firewall? It would be mind boggling to you what they would tell you. And yes, these attacks are coming from everywhere. Now, this article from Security Week, you know, points out some important things. I'll get back to you. But I think the thing people often misunderstand about this is, in many cases, this is not where some guys sitting in this model's basement thinking, Hey, I think I'll attack iHeart today. Now I'm not saying that doesn't happen, it does. You know, businesses aren't targeted because they have specific information that the hackers want to steal, you know, trade secrets, military secrets, whatever. But a lot of this stuff is fully automated and AI is making us worse, and they're literally just scanning the Internet for anything that's connected they find. This is one of the reasons why you should never answer a call.
Speaker 4: You don't know.
Speaker 12: It's the same kind of thing. But you know, to people they're just scanning and they find something connected, they can scan it and say, okay, can I determine what this thing is? Can I determine does it have any known vulnerabilities because they haven't installed the software updates we talk about all the time, and you know, don't work backwards from there. So there's automated scanning at scale, especially for nation state actors like China and Russia ran in North Korea. Kind of the evil access of cybersecurity, if you will. Yeah, it's it's continuous, it's around the cloth. It's increasing as the speed of their systems gets faster and can scan more. And I think that's the thing people don't get. This isn't someone thinking today is the day I'm going to target the local grocery store or you know, the corner mechanic shop. They're just looking for things that are connected to the Internet, which is increasingly everything, and then trying to figure out how they can get in to steal money from there, and then you know likewise they're targeting people with fishing and fishing, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Why, maybe it's a silly question, but hear me out, Daves.
Speaker 3: You know, in Russia, obviously the adversaries of the US are attacking the US. But why is the US more prime for cyber attacks? Besides the obvious that those two countries aren't our friends. But there are other rich nations out there. But what makes us more vulnerable beyond the fact that those are our adversaries? Is it because we have a lot of money? Is because it is our basically our our it general infrastructure not as good as Saudi Arabia or Japan or what.
Speaker 5: Well, that's a good.
Speaker 12: Question, and it's certainly not exclusive to US, Jason. In fact, I just saw a headline which I don't have the fun of me, but apparently at least five different water plants have recently been attacked in the UK.
Speaker 2: You know this is happening everywhere.
Speaker 12: You don't have to look too far. You know, the US is a prime target because obviously you could argue we are the sole superpower. People would argue, well, you've got China out there that's kind of.
Speaker 5: Reached pair with us.
Speaker 12: Yeah maybe, Yeah, we have a lot of money. And you know, I would argue, because I'm talking to businesses about this all day long and trying to get people to take it seriously, that many folks really underestimate what the damage of a cyber attack can be to their organization, where the business, nonprofit whatever. You know, it could be theft of sensitive data, it could be reputational damage, it could be expensive downtime that in some cases you don't ever recover from. I don't know if you guys saw the story. You know, Range Rover in the UK recently got hit with a devastating cyber attack. Was down roughly two months, and the numbers I've seen are in the billions of dollars lost. People laid off from range Rover, people laid off from range Rover suppliers. So it's certainly not exclusive to us, you know, depending on what the hackers are after, which in most cases, outside of these nation state attacks like China, it's money, right, they're looking for money. But you know, businesses can have their email accounts taken over. Next thing, you know, fraudulent invoices go out to the team of tens of thousands to millions of dollars loss. So it's not just downtime, it's not just data theft. It's outright, you know, fraud and theft of dollars through deceit. And you know, again it's not just us. But I think part of what makes us a target is, yes, we have a lot of money, and businesses, organizations have all shapes and sizes. Gusts do not take this seriously enough. You know, do you have insurance for firing your plant?
Speaker 5: Probably?
Speaker 12: Are you likely to have a fire? Probably not? Do you have sprinklers, the smoke detectors and all those sorts of things startler all on. I mean, I think people understand the threat in the physical world, but I think a lot of people still think I'm too small, I don't have anything we're stealing. And as a result of that, and frankly, because you know, there's a lot of confuse opy.
Speaker 23: Around this and a lot of nerves running around with a lot of jargon who probably aren't doing the world a favor by not trying to focus on this from a business perspective, in a perspective, which is what I'm always trying to get people to focus on forget all the technology.
Speaker 12: Forget the nurdery, think about your business and think about the risk. You know, how much downtime can you withstand? But because there is often not a focus on that, businesses are not taking it seriously and as a result making themselves easy targets.
Speaker 1: Well, let me let me ask you, David, with all considering all this stuff, how how valid is your cyber security system anymore? I mean, if I'm going to get one of these things for my whatever, my desktop or my laptop or whatever the case might be, is it inevitable that I'm going to get hacked?
Speaker 12: I wouldn't say it's inevitable, but it's it's very highly likely, especially if you don't believe that's ever going to happen to you, Right, And Yeah, the focus has shifted over time because I want to be really clear, guys. If it's let's say China or Russia decides that you have something they want, they're probably eventually going to get it because they have unlimited time and limited resources.
Speaker 24: You know.
Speaker 12: The FBI had recently said in the past they believe that China had a fifty to one advantage of attackers versus defenders here in the United States. You guys may have seen the stories here. North Korea are also part of that access of evil, and the FBI has talked about this. Anyone that's listening to this can they'll confirm everything I'm saying here just by business apps website.
Speaker 5: Searched on this stuff.
Speaker 12: North Korea is raising enormous amounts of money to us to run their government through cyber attacks, including having North Koreans pretend to be legitimate workers, get hired, get inside a company, and then steal stuff. You know, remote work is a big thing, right, everybody works remotely. Now you need a programmer, you hire a person that's remote. I think we talked about this, guys. You may recall there was a guy in Nashville who basically set up a server farm and had these remote hackers remoting into his servers in Nashville, so they appeared to be in America and then working for companies where they were stealing stuff, dealing money, dealing trade secrets, et cetera. So you know, there's nothing you can do to be completely impervious to this stuff, and anyone that tells you otherwise sort of getting off the grid and going like Ted Kazinski, it's not real. But what you can do is take what we nerds like to call a defense and depth approach, multiple layers. So you're trying to shield yourself, your employees, your organization, your family from as much of it as possible, trying to keep as much of the bad stuff out as possible, trying to train folks so they know what to look for, so they have awareness, they're more skeptical, they're less likely to click on the bad thing, and then ultimately build systems that are resilient so that in the event there is a successful attack, you can recover from it quickly, minimal downtime, don't need to pay a ransom. Doesn't mean there won't be consequences, like they'll leak your sensitive data baxtold or whatever. But you know a lot of companies that there's another company in the UK I can't roughly talk about this or not one hundred and fifty eight year old company because of bad passwords, bad guys get in hit it with ransomware, they're out of business. That seven hundred people lost their job. Well document easy to look up, so you know if you had the resilient piece. Right, they defeated your systems. If you had the resiliency piece in place, ideally you just wipe those systems. You're back online in a minimal amount of time. At least you're still in business. Right, You're not gone as a result, and all of these things are very doable. Again, a lot of it though. You need to focus on risk and you know, are you spending your money on the right things in the right places, and what's your risk tolerance? Guys, I've had guys tell me, yeah, I don't care about that. I just you know, if I got hit with a cyber attack, I'd just go out and buy all new computers and start over. Okay, if that works for your business, and you've considered what that would look like in terms of downtime and impact on your customers, Okay, I don't think most people don't have thought to what a really serious attack might do and how they might not.
Speaker 5: Recover from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not a good look when you just start shutting everything down. Uh, with the with that Dave had or we will let you go, buddy. It is always our pleasure, Thank you so much.
Speaker 12: My pleasure. You guys have a good one.
Speaker 1: And there he uh there he goes back down into his bunker. And we didn't even get into talking about the new color toilet that has a camera in it that analyzes the contents of your body. That's do you want?
Speaker 2: Do you excuse me?
Speaker 1: Do you want that? I don't think I want an instant update on what's going on inside me every time I go to the bathroom. Right, it's like, uh, yeah, it just give you a readout what happens.
Speaker 3: Man to ask you Dave about that one next time, because that sounds like, uh, that's something I told me. He's up in arms about the coffee maker. That's let's you, let's right, yeah, let alone the camera that's looking right, that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And what's coming.
Speaker 1: Out of Yeah, I don't want to know with the I have a pretty good idea, but I don't really want to know with that. We check in with traffic and weather, what is going on going on.
Speaker 7: From the UC Health Traffic Center. The Lung Cancer Rapid Access Program at the UC Cancer Center is built to give you a care plan fast meet with a specialist in two days called five win three five feet five U see cee see, And traffic is sewing. Asha, make your way on seventy five northbound Mitchell to Pattican southbound Western Avenue to the Prince Bridge seventy one northbound after Ridge the crisher has cleared, it's still about a five minute delay southbound seventy five on Reagan Highway to Norwood. Lateral traffic is heavy from Cooper. It's about a five minute trip through the area, and we do have police activity. The right lane blocked in Kentucky's seventy five north bound at US forty two, So plan on DeLay's here and that's due to an accident down the ramp that has now the ramp shutdown. As we just got an update on that as well. Seventy five, I make that seventy one. He is swing MLK to seventy five by a five minute trip. I'm Rix Shrampany. He's Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: The forecast from the seven hundred WLW Weather Center for tonight partly cloudy, the little forty seven for tomorrow partly cloudy and seventy It is sixty three Now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: All right, mister Pennay, I'm going to show you some images and you tell me, what do you see.
Speaker 18: Looks like a butterfly listening to Scott's Loan?
Speaker 2: Show in this one, I see a rocket ship? A rocket ship?
Speaker 18: Yeah, last enough for the planet Sloan meer see in this one that looks like a fish swimming in a mountain pond.
Speaker 2: Very good?
Speaker 25: Yeah, but the fish is angry because he's not listening to Scott Sloan.
Speaker 1: Scott's Loan, please listen responsibly.
Speaker 18: Join me Scott Sloan tomorrow morning at nine o'clock on seven hundred WLW might.
Speaker 2: Be best rush and it's got some strong meditations.
Speaker 14: This report is sponsored by All State. I wish you could save on home insurance. With All State, you could easily save and get quality protection. Yep, it's a win win Rocky today. So the trade deadline has passed, Jase.
Speaker 3: It indeed has, and it's pretty pretty much status quo since same angles. So for the fact that, as you heard there on our newscast Logan Wilson, veteran linebacker traded earlier today to the Dallas Cowboys for a in exchange for a seventh round draft pick next year, which is kind of like you basically just got his salary off your books is essentially I was going to say the salary move right, because let's be honest, this is a team that Now, there are some teams that you know, you think, oh yeah, they can find diamonds in the rough in the six and seventh rounds. The Cincinnati Bengals are not one of those teams.
Speaker 1: Correct, But it just goes to it just goes without saying then that Trey Hendrickson is not going anywhere.
Speaker 3: He remains a Bengal on the in the last year of his contract. And the Bengals, not surprisingly this is they don't change much and they've never been a team that tears things down or or ads pieces. You know, the the Joe Flacco trade was pretty pretty miraculous for their standards a month ago, but you know, this is a standard for how they've operated from really their entire existence. Is that, you know, the New York Jets basically said we're in rebuild mode. They traded a bunch of defensive players as well, Sauce Gardner over to Indianapolis. Yeah, I mean, that's a guy who's it's not that not that old. But they just basically said, all right, we're going into rebuild mode. That's really what the Bengals need to be doing with their defense. But they're in a really bad spot because you've got a incredible offense.
Speaker 2: Joe Burrow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean supposedly going to be coming back at the Larry least next season fully healthy, you would think. And so they're in a really tough position because this is not an overnight fix or a one season fix for that defense.
Speaker 1: Coming up, we are going to be talking to old buddy Mark Amazon about this very thing, Mark with a C Amazon and what goes on, what's going on with these Bengals. But that's after the news right now, News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: News Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 14: Cincinnati city leadership being decided tonight's with the four to thirty report. I'm Jack Crumbley breaking now.
Speaker 17: What we're going to see at the end of the day, I believe, is a statement that people are not happy with the current setup of city Hall.
Speaker 16: We're optimistic for a good night and like I said, really proud of this council and the record of achievement.
Speaker 14: Positive statements from both sides, Republican Corey Bowman and incumbent Democrat aftab pureval in the race for Cincinnati Mayor, one of the few big races on the ballot this election Day, twenty twenty five. All nine seats on Cincinnati City Council are open as well, with more than two dozen people running for them. Polls in Ohio or open until seven thirty. We did get word about an issue in Butler County. The Board of Elections says there was an incident at the Riley Township Community Center polling location. A candidate currently running for office was placed as a precinct election official at the polling location in his precinct, as he's done for the last several years before he became a candidate. Him being an official in his own precinct and as a candidate is not allowed under Ohio law. That person in question was not wearing any campaign attire and left the location without incident. Today to have some incidents going on the roads this Tuesday afternoon, Let's check the latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 7: From the UC Health Traffic Center. The Lung Cancer Rapid ad Access Program at the UC Cancer Center is built to give you a care plan fast meet with a specialist in two days. Call five one, three, five eight five U sec See and on seventy five. We have traffic swing should make your way southbound Ronald Ringgan Highway to Norwood lateral through the ongoing roadwork delays. The Cooper's about a five minutes slow down accident has cleared seventy one northbound after Ridge traffic recovering from right around Smith edwards seventy five, north bound Mitchell to Pattick and southbound Western Avenue to the Brent Spencers stop and go, and we're looking at you seventy five between Moss Stetler and Lovely Madere with about a ten minute trip now. Seventy one northbound Kenwood to Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway and southbound seventy one from Fields Eardle to two. Seventy five is also filling in. And we do have the ramp seventy five north bound to US forty two and Kentucky shut down due to an accident and police activity has a right lane blocked in that area. Rick SHREMP News Radio seven hundred one.
Speaker 14: Took a call in the newsroom about that crash northbound seventy five near forty two in Florence, saying potentially one vehicle went off the road in that collision. We are also seeing a pretty big backup on southbound Madison Pike as you approach two seventy five. You're backed up before you get to the ramps, and you stay backed up once you get south of there. There is road work in that area.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 13: The latest forecast from the Train Heating and Cooling Weather Center on News Radio seven hundred wl W.
Speaker 14: Well enjoy the weather wall. It lasts partly cloudy tonight, a low forty seven degrees. Tomorrow sunny and nice with a high pushing seventy. Thursday's looking sunny with high in the upper fifties, and then on Friday, rain with storms possible, high in the mid sixties. Still looking at sunny with temperatures in the sixties on Saturday, but by Monday next week we're looking at highs more in the forties. Rad Art right now showing some little bit of rain starting to move through parts of Butler and Warren Counties. At this hour it is sixty one degrees. News is a service of Low t Center.
Speaker 19: We are one hundred percent and the President and his team's legal argument in the merits of the law in this case, and we remain optimistic that the Supreme Court is going to do the right thing.
Speaker 14: That is White House Press Secretary Caroline Levitt speaking today as the US Supreme Court will take up the case of President Trump's tariffs tomorrow. It's over whether or not the president has the power to impose tariffs on his own. The Constitution says it's Congress's responsibility, but lawmakers over the years have passed on some of that power to a president, especially when it comes to national security. The government, though, remains shut down, now tying the longest ever record thirty five days in a row set during the first Trump administration. Two federal courts have ordered the White House to use money from a contingency fund to support snap food benefits for tens of millions of Americans. And even though President Trump this morning posted online saying he's not going to do that, the White House today said it is happening, just like the agg Department told a court yesterday. On Wall Street, today, the Dow ending down two hundred and fifty one points. NASDAK down five thirty seven. That's two percent. The S and P off by eighty. Take a look at sports now, here's the second seven one hundred WLW Sport.
Speaker 21: Here's the Bengals update, brought to you by Good Spirits and Party ten thirteen locations in northern Kentucky. The Bengals trading linebacker Logan Wilson of the Dallas Cowboys today for a seventh round draft pick.
Speaker 7: Here's Evan McPherson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough to see see him go, but that's part of the NFL.
Speaker 21: Jess Corner and former UC standout Sauce Gardners headed to the Indianapolis colt for two first round draft picks. College football tonight, Miami RedHawks up against Ohio. You at seven o'clock Red's update. The Reds have signed free agent and former Chicago Cubs right hander Keegan Thompson Bill Edison seven out of WLW Sport, and.
Speaker 14: We are past that four o'clock NFL trade deadline. That trade you heard about from Sega about Logan Wilson is the extent of the activity for the Bengals today. I'm Jack Crumley. Our next update at five o'clock Breaking News Anytime News Radio seven hundred. Wlad you have three ex wives and your current trophy wife wants a life insurance policy three times the size of the policies you had to purchase for your previous.
Speaker 1: Back with Eddie and Jason Williams in for Rocky.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 1: Rock is back on Thursday. I do believe he's in Toledo. I'm not sure if that game's Deny or that's tomorrow, Yes, tomorrow. Well, Jace, we've been A lot has been said about the Bengals in the game the other day. I don't know what else there is to say, but damn it, we're going to say it. We have our guest right here, our old buddy love this guy, guy who's been on these airwaves many many times. He is our good friend. Mark Amazon, and Mark, you send me U. When I put out the tenerary today, I said, Mark Amazon, disgruntled Bengals fan. And I can vouch for that. Yes he did say that, And uh but dude, what you said? You got a lot on your chest and let's get it off.
Speaker 2: What Mark your.
Speaker 1: Thoughts, because I mean, I know, I buddy of mine's been years long season ticket holder and he's beside himself right now. Man, he's boiling.
Speaker 24: Well.
Speaker 5: Disgruntled season ticket holder is like one of the same, right, I mean, it's Bengals fan and disgruntled go hand in hand. It's it is. It reminds me of the late eighties, right when we thought but we got Boomer and Tim McGee and Eddie Brown and these guys are and this team is set to do this for a while. But I think it's about to get really really bad.
Speaker 12: Guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm with you on that mark with the c Amazon, I think that this team is heading for another dark period and in its history. And I don't mean that a decade or it just seems everything that's there's some nineteen nineties vibes and esque things that are happening right now. And when you really dig into it, I don't even think you really need to dig that deep this defense that it is. The problems are so deep and are not something that's going to be fixed. Knowing how this franchise operates in one off season, maybe in two off seasons, maybe in three off seasons. So when you look at how this team drafts, how this team has now got what forty some percent of its money tied up or this year's payroll tied up in what three or four players, and you know, put so much money on the offensive side, Like, how are you going to fix this defense. And we all we've seen enough of a sample size now, Mark to know you can't outscore teams and make think that that's a sustainable plan for making the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Yeah, ja Z, you're absolutely right. So think about this for a second. You're saying two or three years, that's if you get the draft, right, Okay, that's if you don't draft Miles Murphy, if you don't draft Shamar Stewart, if you don't draft Chris Jenkiins, if you don't draft McKinley Jackson, who by the way, during the draft, they with a sixth round pick and the Bengals took in the third round. But I'm going to tell you something, and this is kind of you know, inside baseball, so to speak, But you guys know this, Jason, I know you know this. The game changed fundamentally in a huge way a couple of years ago. The Bengals have always been behind the times and behind the curve, but now we're in the nil era, which means these guys are drafted haven't already made million dollars. So let's look at Shamar Stewart. Shamar Steart made about four million dollars at Texas A and M. So you know, this is not the NFL where in the early eighties the Bengals could take Ricky Hunley and say take it or leave it. You know, it's not like with Alfred Williams in the nineties where they could force you to play. Shamar Steuart comes in, he's made four million dollars. Okay, he get the guaranteed contract nineteen million dollars ten point four up front. So as of right now, Shamar stored has made about fifteen million dollars. When he's done with this four year deal, assuming the Bengals don't exercise the fifth year, he's going to have made twenty three million dollars. You know that means you screw with him in the contract negotiations, right, and you start with two strikes against you. That's why Samar Stewart at a press conference after a game can laugh and say, yeah, we'll catch you guys on Monday. He doesn't care. He doesn't care. And it's such a bad way of doing business because you start these relationships in you know you're behind the eight ball from the very beginning, and that's going to work against the Bengals. I think these guys don't need a second contract anymore. Guys, they can live on college money and first round, four or five year money. They don't need a second deal.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 1: And Mark, let me, we're talking to Mark Amazon and people keep talking about the window of opportunity for the Bengals. The window is open, is the window? Blah blah blah. But how long does it take before your your Burrows and your Chases and your Higgins get frustrated by this spinning their tires? Man, sooner or later, it's just got to frustrate the hell.
Speaker 2: Out of these guys.
Speaker 5: Well, you know this is starting. Remember you guys have been here for a long time. And so you remember where were you guys February tenth, two thousand. Remember that day?
Speaker 6: That was the day.
Speaker 5: Ken Griffy Jr. Came to time, right, and it was it was a holiday, man, But the Red told came Griffy Jr. We're gonna get some pictures, right, And they never got the pictures and things soured really quickly. And I got to think it's a similar deal with Burrow. Hey, we're gonna get your team, We're gonna get to Chase, We're gonna get a workable defense. The way this thing is headed, this is going to become Carson Palmer two point zero, where Burrow's gonna get tired of wasting year after year nine and seven, throw for five thousand yards, score thirty eight points and lose games. I'm gonna say something and people are going to think I'm the biggest idiot in the world. And you can't do it right now without his permission, I would think about trading Joe Burrow. Wowing about that, think about.
Speaker 1: It, talk about starting over.
Speaker 2: That would do it.
Speaker 5: Well, he's got a full note trade cause first off, but he's gonna make a hundred million dollars the next two years, right, that's his baits and the pro rated signing bonus. That's one hundred million dollars. Do you know what one hundred million dollars buys you defensively in the free agent market. I mean, you could go into last year and take the top three guys with the Joe Burrow money, and look, I love Joe Burrow. There's nothing against Joe Burrow. He is phenomenal. We're scoring thirty eight points with Joe Flacco who's forty and can't raise his arm. I mean, Jamar Chase is so good to me, He is so far away the best receiver in football. He made Jake Browning look good two years ago. He's making Jake Joe Flacco look elite. Maybe with a decent quarterback and Higgins and Chase and some defenders with the Joe Burrow money, could that look better.
Speaker 12: Him in here?
Speaker 3: Mark, Because I'm I'm of the mind that I think you're You're now in that territory of there's been he's been hurt, he's injury prone. I think we can call him that now we're at that point. And I also just wonder, and you and again, this is just what I wonder. I'm wondering and out loud with you guys, that is he ever going to be the same because at some point one of these injuries, if another injury happens, or maybe it's the next one or the one after that, he's not going to be the same. At some point after one of these injuries. Who knows which one it is?
Speaker 2: Is it this one?
Speaker 3: This is what is now fourth major injury in his career, what his forced surgery right in his career? I guess you count the pendix being one of them. And this is what is fifth injury with the calf at some point here. Yeah, you wonder if Joe Burrow is going to be Joe Burrow as we know him, even in a Bengals uniform or whatever uniform he's in.
Speaker 5: That's a that's a very I mean, look, this is again I mentioned this to my son the other day, like you kidding me. I mean, you know this is not the way the NFL works, right, You get a quarterback and you ride that quarterback. But the secret sauce to all of it is when you get a quarterback in his rookie deal in his first five years. That was the beauty of the Bengals Super Bowl run. As they were paying you know, restricted money to Joe Burrow and they had that money and at the time they had the Awoozia's and the guys they brought in, the Von Bells and the Mike Hiltons and guys like that. I mean, this defense is so incredibly bad, and I feel like America is finally getting to see it that Colston Lovelin play with his joke guys. I mean, you know, Logan Wilson got created today. I look is Logan Wilson as good as he was three or four years ago. No, right, there's no doubt about it. But he's a pro like you know, he stands in there and plays the game. I mean, these guys made two different business decisions not to get run over. That one guy's moving away from the play, which is inexplicable. And you know, there's no consequence. There's no consequence, there's no accountability. Guys are in the locker rooms. They we'll talk to you on Monday. It's bad.
Speaker 24: Now.
Speaker 1: Let me let me ask you guys this, because of all these uh, these defensive moves they've made, these faux paus. What what is that attributable to? Just you know, the old school thinking gonna stand my ground. We're not going to overpay you, even though it wouldn't have hurt to pay a von Bell or something or a Hilton somebody like that to stay. What What the hell is the what's the thinking here?
Speaker 5: I mean from my part, I mean, look, those guys are diminished, right, I mean Von Bell, Mike Hilton were diminished. The bigger problem is you got to replace these guys, and the draft has been so awful, and I mean, look, man, have you seen Duke COVID's resume may have you if you take the time to look at Duke Covid his resume, you know at the top you have present. There's nothing under it, like this is the only job he's ever had.
Speaker 4: Man, I mean it is.
Speaker 5: You know, I hate to throw like baby out, but I mean he comes from a football family. He played a little bit. He's never done anything else. He has been here for twenty years with the smallest staff in football, and it is with after whiff after whiff the last five years. Now, there was some good, right, the Jermaine Pratt, the Logan Wilson. For a while they were crushing these third and fourth round picks. But the last four years they are absolutely desolate. And look, even if a Marius Mems becomes a great tackle, Miles Murphy's done it like there is there is not a professional pass rusher there. And the Shamar Stewart thing was botched. I mean, these guys don't need it the way they used to. You don't have the level of control that he used to have. And the Browns and Duke Tobin, they they haven't learned that. They haven't gotten that memo yet.
Speaker 3: Very very well, said Mark and along those lines to piggyback off what you said. My thoughts on this is that they are now fully exposed in that what they did in the Joe Burrow area was they decided that money wise, they were going to go all in on this offense. They are obsessed with offense.
Speaker 24: You know.
Speaker 3: They've paid big, big money to Joe Burrow, to Jamar Chase, to T Higgins, a guy that I think that they didn't need to bring back, but Joe Burrow wanted him back, so they decided to pay big money to him. They paid big money to Orlando Brown Junior. They brought in Kappa who's no longer here. They paid big money to him. They paid big money to Ted Carriss. And so when you've you know, in the NFL with the salary cap, when you've decided you're going to spend all your money on that side, well then you better dog on well draft really well on the defensive side. And they just don't.
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 3: They are not good at evaluating talent, and that's been very historical for them. That's not an overnight thing where they just all of a sudden, they just don't know how to evaluate talent. You know, you can get a Joe Burrow in the first round, and that's a slam dunk. He's going to be great for any team. Jamar Chase is going to be great for any team. These are generational talents, and so you were so bad for so long you fall into getting those draft picks. So you don't really get a lot of credit for drafting those guys. It's those guys that you're drafting the second and third and fourth and fifth rounds. And go look at what they've drafted here on defense over the last you know, I think somebody had a stat that they've drafted sixteen players defensive players since twenty twenty two, and not a one of those guys as a significant contributor for this football team right now. And that's it right there. That's the story that they are just not good at drafting, and they were forced by their decision to spend all this money on the offense. They forced themselves into then, okay, we're going to build the defense to the draft, and we see that that hasn't worked out. Because they have the smallest scouting staff in the NFL. You know, they'll say that Duke's not the general manager, and like the whole thing is just needs to be completely overhauled and they need to add more, and we can go on and on. Eddie's given me the we got to cut this off signals. So because Mark, we could keep going all the way up until Lance's in here in an hour and then he's gonna pick it up.
Speaker 2: He's gonna run with it for three hours, three hours.
Speaker 5: What let me let me throw one last thing out, because you know, I keep seeing people in the media and fans say, well, you know, if fans stop buying tickets to send a message that means nothing. Like the last piece about this is when this changes. And the only time this ever changes is when sweet sales go down. If the Bengals don't sell ten thousand tickets for a game, ticket prices are tickets revenues are aggregated divided by thirty two right around the league. So if the Bengals don't sell out, nobody cares about that. So they don't care. It's when they don't sell sweets that it makes the difference.
Speaker 3: But yeah, because Mark, they made the Bengals made four and thirty seven million dollars last year in the NFL revenue sharing. That's whether they're good or bad, or they don't put one fan in the stands. They made that off of the TV deal alone.
Speaker 5: Yep, that's what matters to them. I mean it is you know, you're sharing with the Dallas Cowboys, and the stuff that is uniquely yours is what matters to them. But I mean, look, you talked about this is not a new thing. I mean, Paul Brown lay on his deathbed and among his final words to Mike Brown were don't draft David Klingler. Right, how'd that work out? I mean, you know this is this is rotten from the from the top down, and it ain't changing anytime soon. Guys, Hey was fun brainstorming with you. I would love it if they would take this one of these ideas. It ain't happening.
Speaker 4: We all know it, all right.
Speaker 1: With that, Mark, we will let you go, buddy, real pleasure. Thanks so much, Mike Bet, Thanks Mandara, Mark Amazon with that wayhead to traffic and weather.
Speaker 2: What is going on?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 7: From the UC Hell Traffic Center. Of the one Cancer Rapid Access program from the UC Cancer Center built to give you a care planing fast meet with a specialist in just two days called five point three five eighty five U SECC seventy five southbound Western Avenue to the Brent Spence by a ten minute trip southbound seventy five on Ring and Highway to Norwood Lateral sols with the construction in Kentucky seventy five northbound that off Rampt to US forty two still shut down. A tow truck though on the scene that should be opening up by Rick Schremp. He's radio seven hundred W d WELW.
Speaker 1: The forecast and at seven hundred WLW Weather Center for tonight partly cloudy, the lower forty seven for tomorrow partly cloudy and seventy It is sixty three now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: He's a true Tom Brenneman has not only seen the Luckness monster, but beat it in Chess.
Speaker 15: I'm not at liberty to discuss, he said.
Speaker 13: True, there's a primitive Amazonian tribe that worships the Fennipac Tom Brenneman lost during a South American vacation.
Speaker 25: Sounds possible, but not true. Is it true that listening to Tom Brenhaman makes your morning? You bet that's one hundred percent true. Join me in the mornings, get your day shorted right with the latest news, weather, traffic, sports, and lots of laughs and more.
Speaker 13: Tom Brenneman tomorrow morning at five am on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 10: This report is sponsored by Continental Roof Company, Best Products, best price.
Speaker 2: The first time.
Speaker 11: Continental Roof Company understands the value of family and community. They specialize in expert roof repairs and installations.
Speaker 2: How much of a pleasure it is.
Speaker 1: You can find more out about him at Astrodean dot com. All there's events, more about him, where he speaks, his podcast, and on and on. He is our good friend, Dean Regus Dean.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 15: Happy to be here with you guys.
Speaker 1: So Dean, I was I heard you were doing this event tomorrow night, and I did not realize that it's the super moon is back.
Speaker 15: Yes, the supermoon is back. It is the largest closest full moon of the year, and it'll be Wednesday night rising up about five twenty five pm. And I don't know if people saw the moon last night, but boy it was pretty bright. So it's getting super every day here.
Speaker 23: Now.
Speaker 15: I mean, this isn't that huge of a deal. Like, it's not like the Moon's going to be twice as big as normal. It will be noticeably larger and really bright. As it rise up higher, you're gonna see it shining your window. And so for me, I think it's just a great excuse to get people out there do some stargazing and check this thing out.
Speaker 3: What do you when you're looking at it at All Park? Are you looking at it with the naked eye, are you looking at it with telescopes? Or what all do you do out there?
Speaker 15: Yeah, the public event I'm leading is yet the top of All Park, where the pavilion is. We're have some telescopes set up up there. Watch the moon rise up there, and then it's really it's some people are posting this and I agree, it's like not the best time to look at it through a telescope. It's almost blindingly bright through a telescope, and you'll get to see quite as many of the detail, like the shadows aren't on there quite as much. Uh So we'll be looking at that with the naked eye, do a little howling, and then go to the other show that is looking through the telescope and showing people Saturn in the telescope, and that just looks dynamite.
Speaker 2: It looks like this.
Speaker 15: Cartoon little planet with a ring around it, and so we'll show people that. So yeah, we got a whole bunch of different things happening for that at All Parks. So yeah, moon rise is about five twenty five pm and then the event goes from six to eight, so you can just come on up free to the public and uh yeah, we'll check out some stars and the full moon and.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's going to be cool to be driving home tomorrow night being over to sound it. So but Dan, let me let me ask you, where's the best viewing for stargazing and stuff like that?
Speaker 2: The moon?
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously All Parks is a beautiful place, but it's there with all the city lights surrounding it. I mean as far out in the country as you can get. Is that pretty much your optimal situation?
Speaker 15: Oh yeah, I mean to see more stars. Definitely want to get away from the city lights with that moon up there, good luck, You're going to be hard pressed finding a dark skies anywhere right now for that because that moon is going to be so bright. So yeah, we usually recommend people get out to the state parks that are out of town, but for people that are in the city. The Cincinnati parks system is awesome. I mean they are most of the parks are open till ten o'clock at night, and you get some pretty good views and you can get away from a little bit of the city lights and places like Alt Park and Alms Park and Mount Echo and some other places around town. So yeah, it's you know, it's just I just like to get people to look that's the big thing, and take the time. And I got to be honest, when the supermoon thing happened, like maybe ten years ago, when I first came around, I was like, eah, this thing. I mean, I mean, so what nobody's gonna notice? And so we didn't have I did an event grudgingly, and I found it. People loved it. I mean they were just like sitting on the grass there watching the moon rise. Their phones were off, They're talking to each other. So I was a supermoon convert. I'm like, hey, yeah, people go out and do watch this. I'm all for that, Dean.
Speaker 3: For those of us who are have to read Outer Space for dummies to understand and listen to you. Of course, what you said, this only comes around what once every ten years, and why is that, and is it the Earth is closer to the Moon than a certain point here, Like what can you explain kind of the the one oh one of the supermoon.
Speaker 15: Yeah? Absolutely, I mean the Moon goes around the Earth, but it doesn't go around in like a perfect circle. So there's sometimes in its orbit where it's closer to the Earth than some times is farther from the Earth. And so it's one of those things where it matches up where it's closest to the Earth and a full moon at the same time. And there's some other things like some of the NASA websites they've been trying to milk this thing, and they make like three super moons every year, like where it's close and kind of big. I always like to opt for the one, you know, let's just do it one time. And so this one is the closest. There was a pretty good one last month, and there'll be a pretty good one next month, but this one will be technically the best. And if people really want to get nerdy about this, the moon rise is not the closest approach.
Speaker 2: Will be to the Moon.
Speaker 15: It'll be at around midnight tomorrow night, where the moon will be only two hundred and eighteen thousand miles away. That's about as close as you're gonna get to the moon ever, And because usually the moon is about two hundred and forty thousand miles away, so this is a pretty good chunk of distance, a little bit closer to us.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know, putting that perspective, I got a two hundred and forty one thousand miles on my truck, so that's not that far away.
Speaker 15: You've you've driven enough to go to the moon, not back, but to the moon at least.
Speaker 1: Yeap, So and let me get because Dean, we talked about this before. What is this going to look like? Because I think I told you this has been years and years ago.
Speaker 2: I remember.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it was just the perspective that I had, but man, the it was about this time of year and the sun or the moon came up and it looked like it took up half of this horizon as it was rising. Now, I don't know what what does that do to when you get that kind of view, mean that it looked like, you know, five times the size of the moon regular.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's really cool when you watch the moon rise. I think that's the best part the best time, because when it's lower on the horizon, it does have this like optical illusion. This makes me seem bigger in your brain than it actually is. And then when it's up higher in the sky, it takes kind of its normal size and your brain and so astronomers and scientists have been studying this phenomenon. It's called the moon illusion. And it was first thought that it's just because you have these reference points like trees and houses and that kind of stuff. And so some of the smarter eggheads were like, yeah, it's not really that, because it doesn't it's not actually bigger. It just looks bigger in our brain. And so it's a brain illusion. Our brains are fooling ourselves into thinking it's actually bigger. It's really is the same size, it just looks like it to us. And so I used to do this TV show on PBS called Stargazers if anybody remembers, that would fly through space on hoverboards and it was always on at a convenient one am. So if you didn't see it, I'm not too hurt. But I inherited that show from a guy named Jack Horkheimer. He was the guy that would come on PBS's late at night and talk about what's up in the space. And he said, the way you come bat the moon illusion, I am not joking, is you turn your back to it, look upside down, through your legs backwards at the moon upside down, and they'll turn normal size. Now I thought he was joking with me, and I thought I thought. I thought, man, okay, so he's pulling this thing, and I'm I'm not going to do it. I'm not going to do it in front of him, that's for sure. So there was one night where I had the full moon rise and nobody was around, and I did it, and I swear it worked. So I I encourage people to try this at home when nobody's looking, and who knows, maybe tomorrow night at allt Park, I'll do it too, with everybody looking.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 15: Well, we'll see how it works. But it's like one of those things. I thought, this is a joke, come on, and then I did it and actually did work.
Speaker 2: You have to there, you go, Dean. You have to be with the group tomorrow.
Speaker 24: You have to.
Speaker 2: Everybody. We're going to do some yoga moon gazing here, just for a few minutes.
Speaker 1: Take a picture and put that on a social Dude, you all get a million views.
Speaker 15: I mean, the problem is I don't know if I'll be able to get back up.
Speaker 7: That's the thing.
Speaker 15: It doesn't go down there now, but I don't know about getting back up again, so I might.
Speaker 7: Need some help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go ahead, Oh go ahead? Oh what is it forgive again? Forgive my ignorance on this? Like you go to Alt Park? Is it does it just being up on a hill even allow for a better view or is it just because that's a big gathering space.
Speaker 15: Oh yeah, yeah, anybody can see it anywhere. I'm doing it at All Parks just because I love All Park. It's and I been working with the Cincinnati Parks for a long time, and it's a great place. It's a good gathering spot of the Yeah, it really is. And it's pretty decently dark up there too, So I always go up to All Park to if I want to look at something low on the horizon, because it's got good views to the horizon. But yeah, we'll be showing people Saturn tomorrow night. That's going to be a real cool highlight. And yeah, it's almost like an excuse to get people out under the stars and then we'll show them Saturn and then that's what they're going to be like, Saturn is the real highlight.
Speaker 1: And how many telescopes would you say you have scattered about there?
Speaker 15: Good question. So far, I'm still rounding up the troops here, so I'm not sure how we're gonna end up with. But it'll be enough for everybody to see some stuff, that's for sure, all right.
Speaker 1: And what else is as far as the heavens go, that's coming up here.
Speaker 15: Well, So on Saturday people, if you want to check out actual rocks from outer space, I'm doing an event at the North Side Library Saturday at three o'clock where we're gonna have a meteorite event, meteor right displays. Some of my buddies are going to bring some of their meteorites from the asteroid belts, some Moon meteorites, some Mars meteorites, and people can see and hold and touch them and at the free event s that's at the north Side Library at three o'clock. And then for meteor shower gazers, we've got the Lioned meteor Shower coming up November seventeenth, eighteenth. That's when the peaks where you can maybe see a dozen shooting stars an hour going across the sky, and that's always a pretty good one. And you can maybe even see some earlier in the week two once the full moon gets out of the way. So yeah, those are the big events coming up, So lots to see up there.
Speaker 3: Some of your friends in the in the stargazing world, you said, have some meteorite rocks. Where would one go to get those?
Speaker 15: Oh, believe me, I got a guy for you, that's for sure. I know that's yeah. So yeah, there's legitimate meteorite dealers. How you get started in that field, I have no idea, but anyway, these are these are fellows that and the women and men that have been like in this field for a while. They they don't just like go out and collect them. Some of them do, but mostly they they deal with reputable fines, reputable falls where they have these rocks at the sell from space. Most of them are gathered in the Sahara Desert and the Antarctic continent because it's on top of the sand or on top of the snow, and so it's a little bit easier. You can just pick things up on top of whatever's on top. Fell from up above, and so yeah, people do ask me, they're like, what do you trust these guys, Like, I mean, what if what if they're just giving you like limestone from you know, from the East End or something like that. And the thing is, if they ever sell a non meteorite, they are done.
Speaker 4: That is that is, that is their reputation is on.
Speaker 15: They'll never Yeah, meteorite people don't mess with uh, don't mess with them because yeah, but I've got a small collection myself. But the ones that are coming on Saturday, they are some pretty impressive specimens and people can like hold them and they're really cool cool rocks, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: All right With that, Dean, don't pick up any bogus space rocks and people can catch you tomorrow night at the at ALLT Park.
Speaker 15: Yeah, tomorrow up at All Park will be great. Like I said that, the event goes six to eight, but move a little bit earlier at five twenty five, So come on up a little early if you like to hang out, and yeah, bring some space rocks too, why not come on up for that?
Speaker 2: All right, buddy, love it?
Speaker 1: Thanks so much.
Speaker 15: Hey, thanks guys, and keep looking up there you go.
Speaker 1: Astro Dean is dot com is his website. No, I'll tell you talk about a specialized gig, dude, go on being a meteor it's a sales guy.
Speaker 3: Well that sounds wondering, like and he said it there you can go to the Sahara doesn't And I know they're probably not just Oh, they're all over the place and you can just if you get it right, if you just travel there, you're going to find one.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they're very rare to find in those spaces. But it seems like that would be kind of a hard business. Yeah, get that's what I mean, right, Like, you know, it's like being a moon rock guy. Where do you start? First go to the moon. It's like the old Steve fin Steve, old Steve Martin bit, how to be a millionaire? First get a million dollars with the that we toick in with traffic, good weather?
Speaker 7: What is going on?
Speaker 4: Going on?
Speaker 7: And from the UC Health Traffic Center. The Lung Cancer Rapid Access Program at the UC Cancer Center is built to give you a care plan fast to meet with a specialist in two days called five one, three, five eight five U see see see We're cleaning up Accent seventy one southbound off Rampton writing on the exit ramp in seventy five northbound after Hopple this crash on the right shoulder. Note you have writing at Kemper with an accident and police are there. Seventy five northbound on ramp from US forty two in Kentucky still shut down as a cruise are working the clear and accident. Total trucky is on the scene, we understand, and seventy five north is sewing Mitchel de Paddock south from Western Avenue to the Brent Spence Bridge. We've got about a ten minute drive to seventy five eastpawned between US forty two and love Londeero Brick Shrimp. He use a radio seven hundred double DLUBD.
Speaker 1: The forecast from the seven hundred WLW Weather Center for tonight partly cloudy, the Lowell forty seven for tomorrow partly cloudy and seventy It is sixty three now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: What is sports?
Speaker 20: Sports his family. It's mob driving everyone to the soccer practice. It's dad teaching you how to break in a new ball glove. It's everyone loading into the car and going to the big game. Sports is family.
Speaker 8: That's why We love It Sports Talk with Lance McAllister tonight at six on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 10: This report is sponsored by Mel's Auto Glass.
Speaker 14: Mel's Autoglass is a clear choice for your autogo last repair replacement.
Speaker 1: All right, back with Eddie and Jason Williams from the Inquiry and for Rocket Today. Just a little while longer, but before we get out of here on Election Day, Jase. Of course, it seems like every year it gets this type of thing gets more and more prevalent. Let's talk to our good friend Don Mahallick. He is the law enforcement contributor retired senior service agent for ABC News. And Don, what's the latestest thing out of Jersey.
Speaker 12: Huh?
Speaker 24: Well, Jersey apparently has gotten a bunch of threats directed towards the polling places, and those threats have forced the polling place to be closed down for a while while the Jersey law enforcement agencies go in and actually sweep and check the places. These are legit bomb threats that are coming in which after investigation, turned out to be hoaxes. But you know what raises the issue once again about election security and election safety and the fact that we're dealing with an environ where the voter is being targeted and to move the voter in a different direction or to dissuade the voter from voting and participating in democracy. And those threats come from foreign actors or domestic actors a lot online, but also now we're seeing it in live real time with a legit, you know, old school threat of a bomb, a bomb at one of these polling locations. It's a sad status, but thankfully it seems like the people in New Jersey are handling it appropriately.
Speaker 3: Is there something in particular on the ballot in New Jersey that's very hotly contested this year? I know here in Ohio we don't have there's not a lot of hotly contested things on the ballot, but and just wondering if that is New Jersey specific thing.
Speaker 2: Going on there?
Speaker 24: To the governor's race in New Jersey is a very hot contest because it's probably closer than people think, and I think the bomb threats are a response to that. It's interesting to bomb threats coming. I think they were focused around Newark, Jersey versus some other parts of the state. That might be an indication of the where the threats are emanating from. But either way, it just interferes with the democracy. It interferes with people's voting choices, and in a case like that, it frightens voters from going to the polls and voting. So, you know, the voter is being targeted across the US. We saw it last year in twenty twenty four. We're seeing it again in this and this is a quieter election than last year.
Speaker 5: With the presidential election. So let's hope.
Speaker 24: The law enforce and agencies are responding appropriately and the voters are making smart choices when we're going to the polls.
Speaker 1: Domaholis our guest, and don let me ask you, as retired secret service how long does it take to come in sweep that and clear it with dogs and such? I assume as what they use.
Speaker 24: Yeah, it all depends on where the voting location is, if it's a small polling place or a big polling place. A lot of places they use school and they use you know, government buildings as polling places, which generally are on the smaller side. But you know, in a place like Newark, it potentially could be a larger building because of the size of the population. So it really depends on the size of the facility they're sweeping and how many you know, knine assets and search teams they.
Speaker 3: Use done to these uh you know in particular today these come in by telephone?
Speaker 2: Or do they come in by a text? Do they come in through social media? Hey?
Speaker 5: This?
Speaker 24: Uh?
Speaker 5: You know this?
Speaker 2: Certain?
Speaker 7: Do you know?
Speaker 2: How do you do you know the how they originate?
Speaker 5: I don't, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 24: In a case in New Jersey, I think I think they came in via old school phone call. Somebody called it a bomb threat and named the polling location, which hopefully will help them in tracking where the threat came from. But the bottom line is between the internet, cell phones, you know, there's multiple pathways to to issue a threat and it's a lot of work for the law enforcement agencies involved. And when these threats come in and try to try to track him down and then hopefully arrest who's responsible.
Speaker 1: And is it an immediate response on that don I would assume as soon as they get it, and they're just like, okay, clear the clear of the building. There's no you know, there's no yea, zero reason to wait around and see it.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is a.
Speaker 24: Credib Now, Now, when a bomb threat comes in they typically, you know, you want to treat every call as if it's real until you prove it's a hoax. So when these calls come in, the buildings are immediately evacuated. The laws and agencies arrive, they clear, they search the area, they clear, and once it's clear, they'll let people back into the building. These days, a lot of law enforcement agencies around the country, particularly in the bigger metropolitan cities, will tend to set up task forces around election day to monitor the polls, to monitor what's going on in the polls, and to be able to respond, as you know, as needed to the polling locations should an issue arise. So I would, I would Jersey is set especially in an area like Newark, is set up like that as well.
Speaker 3: Don you're uh, you know, you're retired senior Secret Service agent, so you know you've seen everything. Are bomb threats harder to track in today's world of technology versus when we're back when everyone used landlines and payphones or is it is it?
Speaker 2: Is it harder? Is it easier? What you know, is it completely changed the game with cell phones and uh, you.
Speaker 24: Know it's completely changed. Uh, you missed the days of the old rotary phone. It's completely changed the game with cell phones because you have that that mobility. Uh, that's that's present now with a cell phone call or even the Internet, and you us to have the issue of having to go through the Internet to find somebody. Whereas in the old days, is somebody called called from an old style rotary phone or even a push button phone, it was a direct line from that individual's home to whoever they were called. Now, because of the Internet, because a lot of calls are made digitally, we have these voice over Internet protocols where there's IP addresses involved, and you know, you can change your IP address or hydri IP address.
Speaker 4: With a VPN.
Speaker 24: So it makes it real challenging for law enforcement to backtrack in these cases. They're able to do it, and a lot of times the vendors, the phone companies are helpful in these situations, but it's still it's a lot more work and a lot harder than it probably was in the old days.
Speaker 1: All Right, with that, Don, we will let you go, buddy, thanks so much, thanks for having me.
Speaker 24: Guys appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: John Don Mulhullakey is a retired secret service working with ABC News and man, it just seems like, Jason, every year it gets worse and worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just to think that it's not even a presidential year, and you know how much of this stuff happens, you know, in a presidential year or where it's going to keep happening because people see this like, oh yeah, and you know they're they're evil, dev evil people out.
Speaker 1: There, Jason. Uh in other news, And let's get off the political bead here for a minute and get it. Do a cute cat story.
Speaker 2: You know, you know, do you have a cat? We are not cat people.
Speaker 24: Uh.
Speaker 1: This this happened in New Hampshire.
Speaker 2: Ray Ray. The cat sounds like probably a cat that's.
Speaker 23: Like a dog.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I don't know where you get Ray Ray.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't I don't mind a cat that's like a dog, by the way, but anyway, go ahead.
Speaker 1: You're not a cat guy, No, I'm I got no problem with cats. I'm allergic to them, but I don't But anyways, Ray Ray. So they were going from a little town in Pennsylvania to Keen, New Hampshire. They're at the beginning of October. The cat, a little Ray Ray, apparently didn't want to be left behind. So, after driving about one hundred miles, Tony DiNardo, ray Ray's owner stopped the van for a bathroom break and discovered ray Ray, the eight year old cat, clinging to the car's roof.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I had a feeling you were going to have a Christmas fake care. What was the summer vas right?
Speaker 24: That was?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was Christmas vacation with whatever they had Clara whatever her name was, the dog dogs attached.
Speaker 2: To the bumper. Yeah, I thought you were adding that direction, he said. They left for a trip clinging to the roof.
Speaker 1: Said the mom, Margaret, how did the cat stay up there? And he seemed completely unfazed. The family believed that ray Ray lodged himself between the luggage you know they you know, just like the family vacation. Yeah, they had the luggage rack on the top there, so apparently old ray Ray got himself lodged in there under the suitcases and put his claws into one of the straps or something. It just went for a ride, and uh he so they stopped at a pet store, got him, got him a little food, got him a leash. So, uh, I guess one of the reasons they were going to this little town in New Hampshire. Was that they have a marathon that this guy Tony was running in. So he carried I guess they were, Yeah, he was in. It was in this blah blah blah. He uh, I guess his wife met him along the way and he carried the cat across the finish line.
Speaker 2: Oh so.
Speaker 1: Ray Ray seemed to be very happy and now she plans to write a children's book about her pet's adventures.
Speaker 3: So it's a happy ending there for Ray Ray and the family because it could.
Speaker 2: Have gone really, really bad. Well see, y Ray could have been like a bug on a windshield for someone, and well that had been bad for the other guy too.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine you're driving down the interstate, you know, you're going seventy seventy five miles an hour. Of a sudden a cat in your windie, you know, like a bug on your windshield, except as a you know, fifteen pound cat.
Speaker 3: That's gonna do a little damage to your windshield too. Thank thank, thank goodness, Ray Ray safe and had a fun trip. And I'm sure they had to spend a little extra money there on the cat carrier, and.
Speaker 1: Well I'm sure they had to take that car through a car wash up top of you know what I'm saying. Oh yeah, and their ugge had to have a little cat excrement attached to it in some way.
Speaker 2: She might have been coming out of both ends for Ray.
Speaker 1: Ray, as scared as he was, I could just see that cat go and tell the under holding on for his dear little cat life. Uh with that, let's get on out of here. But before we do, let's check traffic and weather.
Speaker 3: What is going on?