Speaker 1: Big time autumn, and not even the fun autumn yet because it's kind of like cold and rainy and wet and all that. But yeah, here we are. It's typical this time, and before we know it, it'll be very very cold. But lots of news though here ed we had planned on talking to our next guests about a different topic. But kind of some breaking news here.
Speaker 2: Around the run. Yeah, kind of brand new news all the all. This been all this rigmarole going on about frishes and Dollies and all of that stuff. And we've talked to this fella here at Dan Monk from WCPO nine News I team many times about the Dolly situation, and Dan Monk, first off, welcome back to the program. What do we know? Apparently they're shutting all of the Dollies down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, six of them will be closed by October twenty third, the company said in a press release today. And this comes just a few weeks after we did that story about how so few customers were in the parking lots and in the stores at Dolly's restaurants. So this question of whether Dolly's can take on Big Boy, I guess has been answered.
Speaker 1: They can't Big Boy one. Dolly's zero here. So I mean did they give I assume the reason why, as you said, just not enough people show it up. If they released a statement saying anything.
Speaker 3: All I said is that they thank the employees for their hard work and know that it's just not something they're going to be able to do. You know, when they announced that they were coming into this market to compete against Christia's Big Boy, they said they hoped to open as many as fifty stores over two years, and they never got it. I mean, six is the number they got to. And so we've been hearing apart from the fact that you know, to drive by the parking lots and they're always empty, we've been hearing that the land that invited them in initially they said they were going to do dozens of deals with this restaurant chain. We've been hearing that they have wanted to take those locations back because they weren't doing as well as had been expected. I think that the deal they had early on was that they were giving them a rent break, and then on the back end they were It's just they were they were going to get a percentage of the revenue that they got, so they were I think they were hoping that they would come in take the market by storm and then you know, make money on the back end and eventually end up with the same amount of rent that Frishians would have paid them had they not defaulted on their leases and got a victim. So it was a it was kind of a gamble by the Florida based landlord that owns all these locations. And now I think you can look for all of them, including the Fish's locations that are still closed, to be sold to either other restaurants or you know, they're talking about maybe selling the locations for car for car washes, or it's you know, storage centers. You know, they'll take any buyer. And the thing that Pusha's did really well when it was, you know, in its heyday, was they were great at picking locations. And these locations are still good, whether there's a restaurant in them or not, a lot of traffic and a lot of interest by potential owners, people who want to lease that location for some other purpose.
Speaker 1: And Dan, look, I'm not a restaurant tycoon here, but I just felt like their rollout wasn't great, Like, you know, they never really had a big promotional effort, you know, not trying to make it about it. I mean I never advertise on this station. There's never never explaining what it was and what their goal was. You would hear things in the news and we would talk about obviously you would write about it, but there was never like a definitive like this is what we are, this is what we're trying to be. And as you would know very well, Dan, Cincinnati is a very kind of loyal to its past kind of place. And had they found a way to kind of tie in. Boy that that great burger with tartar sauce on it that you loved as a kid, well now you can get it and you know that kind of thing. I just didn't feel like that the rollout was was done well. Do you agree or disagree?
Speaker 3: No, I agree that. I mean the only rollout they had was public relations, and when they opened their first couple of locations, you know, they got some media coverage out of that. They didn't follow it up with advertising or promotional offers, you know, buy one, get one kind of deals or whatever. They didn't follow it up with a lot of market presence, and you could see the if you drove passed these locations. You know, for the first couple of weeks, they were crowded, the parking lots were full, but then after that they kind of people lost interest and you could you could see that the customers kind of away from those locations. You know. I can remember just a few months after the Del High location opened, I drove fashion was surprised by how few cars there were in the parking lot. And then ultimately when I did that story, I don't know, a month or so ago, Uh, I went to Del High and I found one car in the lot and one diner inside, So weren't good.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Dan Monk from the I team a Channel nine, and Dan, from everything I heard, I got the impression that the food and the service was you know, kind of one point. But is it just was it just as Rocky pointed out this area being so provincial, you know that, did we just kind of turn our back on him and just say it was almost like you resented the fact that they were here.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it started out that way. The reviews we got from people who were dining there the week or for first couple of weeks after they opened, they thought the food was comparable to fishes. But by the end, you know, I mentioned the Del High location. I talked to a guy who was waiting in the in the in the in the line for the drive through, and he said he had trouble finding something to order. They were out of so many things. So, you know, I think that as the as people stayed away, the service got worse. They lost employees. They didn't keep the original employees that they hired when they opened these locations, and they had plans to open a Bridge down location. They never got there because after passing the health inspections to open, they just never They never opened the restaurant. I don't think they were fully staffed. So yeah, they had trouble operationally, and I think the food quality went downhill this time went on as well.
Speaker 1: Damn Lung's our guest w c PO and Dan. So what I know, there's still some fishes that are operating. Their are privately owned, right, is this a window where you know, hey, maybe these people are out there are still craving a big boy type sandwich. Maybe some more freshes people kind of dive into those or no.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: They are privately owned, but they're effectively owned by the same company, the Atlanta based company that owned them after twenty twenty twenty fifteen. So it's really the same ownership they have you know, operators who are different. They don't have a commissary anymore. They buy their food, you know, independently from food wholesalers, and so it's not necessarily the same bushes as existed before. But there are still thirty one locations open under the Fish's Big Boy name, and ten of those locations are in Greater are in Cincinnati, the Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: All right with that, Dan, we will let you go. Buddy, Thanks for switching gears with us and talking about this as we discuss. This is brand new news, so thanks.
Speaker 3: So much, thank you.
Speaker 2: Thanks our good friend Dan Monk from the IT team on Channel nine. And I still had never never eaten out of dollars. Yeah, I think I saw, I saw one or two. I don't remember where they were at. But you know what, why can't fishes bring start kind of I mean, not start over. Obviously you have a name to build on, but dumb it down, man, Let go of the dinners and all that stuff. Make it back to what we all remember. Buddy boys, big boys blah, blah blah, fish sandwiches, fish sandwich at Boom and rings.
Speaker 1: Kind of the the in and out burger model. They do burgers, do shakes, do fries. Yeah, and just kind of own that sort of thing. Yeah, I think it certainly could work. People love those sandwiches a running. I just see the dollars things. They never never marketed it, never known. People kind of really knew again what their goal was other than kind of be like fishes but not enough to get sued kind of thing. Honestly, that's kind of what it felt like to me, is like, well, we're fishes, but yeah we're not really big boys, but we're gonna serve big boys. We're not gonna come. It's weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like, we're not fishers. What are you talking about? Big boys on our name?
Speaker 1: But if you want frishes in here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we're a lot like fishes. Well we're not fishes. Let's take in with traffic and weather.
Speaker 5: What is going on?
Speaker 6: You see Health Traffic Center, Mamma Graham Saved Lives called five one three, five eight four Pink schedule your annual Mamma Graham with you See Health Sexpert Team five one three five eight four pink breakdown on seventy one north bound of Ronald Reagan Cross County high was off on the right hand shoulder cruiser there and a breakdown on the ramp of seventy five northbound the off ramp to Buttermilk Pike in Kentucky just reported as well. We've got observatory at Michigan Avenue and Westwood between White and Quebec with accident's police getting those takes care of. And you're going to find volumes picking up a bit on seventy five southbound between Ronald Reagan Highway and Norwood, latter about a five minute drive through the area, and again to seventy five has a work eastpund the Combshale Bridge and that affects all wanes through November. My rich Rep News Radio seven hundred WDLW.
Speaker 2: The forecast from the seven hundred WLW Weather Center for tonight portly cloudy, a slight chance of his shower, the low of fifty four tomorrow, partly cloudy and sixty six It is sixty five. Now News Radio seven hundred WLW, Dave.
Speaker 7: Lynce McCallister, your favorite Bengos player and anything else that's orange and black. It's Bengos line. You're a three hour hooda hookup tonight at six on seven hundred WLW, home of the Best Bengos.
Speaker 8: Cover of this report is sponsored by Land Evolution Haunted Screen Park.
Speaker 9: Stream all my Land Haunted Stream Partners.
Speaker 2: Six so cold. Well, the supposed searches like fritches light right, and that was that. I've totally forgotten what Dan was saying, but they had their original plan was opened like fifty.
Speaker 1: Dollars fifty yeah, And first of all, just that alone seems aggressive. Let's start with five, right, and then maybe we'll make it ten and then no, we're fifty.
Speaker 2: So they no marketing, no nothing, no rollout.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So if you didn't hear it, they got to six and now they're closing all.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've never been to one. I now wish I would have gone one. I was serious.
Speaker 2: If it was the first hand account, Well, let's stalk to a guy who I believe was there. Hey, Chris and blue Ash, what did you think of it?
Speaker 10: I you know, I was specifically addressing the frishes that were still open. I've been to a Dolly's and it was the same kind of response.
Speaker 4: Different food, suppliers.
Speaker 10: So from what I understand, one in Eastgate ran out of food as well because they were waiting to run out of the existing supplies. And then when the new wholesalers started bringing in the new food like this. I mean, I'm six two two forty. I like my breakfast bars.
Speaker 2: Seeing you walk in, dude.
Speaker 10: See the sausage and gravy, you know, some of their staples, the biscuits and gravy, stuff like that were just not even close.
Speaker 4: And I never went back. So yeah, the foods players definitely changed everything.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Again, Look, you can point to all kinds of different things about why it didn't work, but for a restaurant, at the top of the list must be the food's gotta be good. Right, There's all kinds of other things you gotta consider, but the damn it, the food's gotta be good. And maybe that's wasn't the case.
Speaker 4: Amen. Yeah, all right, you guys, Yeah, thank.
Speaker 2: You, thanks Chris.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, I think a lot of people and rightfully, I guess rightfully so, but I think it's human nature. You kind of would walk into one of those places with a chip on your shoulder. All right, you're taking over the thing that I grew up on and I always love first is you better be amazing, right, this better be worth it. And then you go in there and like, ah, that sucks.
Speaker 1: Well, to your point, Cincinnati folks already walk in that place going oh, this place is gonna suck, right, so you gotta be that much better to be like, wow, Okay, I didn't. I should have given these guys a better shot, and that wasn't what was happening.
Speaker 2: You needed to really kick ass, knock it off.
Speaker 1: And but to your point, if if you just specialize in like one, even if like the early roll out is, hey, we may ask some menu items, but we know YOUU Cincinnatians. You love big boys and super big boys and and fish sandwiches and all that. That's what we're gonna hit. And we're gonna run specials and that's what we're gonna do. Let's go.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna worked, see I man, I used to go, well, there was a when I first moved to town. I lived in the Clifton area. There was the fishes there on Short Vine. I went there all the time.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: Then I moved up north of town. There was one in Montgomery. I used to go to all the time, and those are long gone. But I just noticed over the course of time, by the time wh kids we used to take them to the breakfast bar, right, and you know, and and I just noticed that it was like the help wasn't didn't do it anymore, and the food quality was.
Speaker 1: Man, well, then that's what started the whole thing is, yeah, just the food quality dropped. And again that that's the number one thing you must go back to as a restaurant owner. Is our food good. Okay, we got all our fires, we got to put out and things we got to consider, but is our food good? And if it's no, then.
Speaker 2: Well, coming up at four o'clock, we got our old buddy Nick Neanaka's was a restaurant expert, and he's going to talk about this very style.
Speaker 1: And you know, to be fair, that is probably the issue is to make food good. The price is he's got to be exorbitantly high, because even decent food, all right, or bad food is expensive these days. And yeah, that's what we're get into a nicke at four o'clock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember when well because I'm old, but going out and getting a nice meal, man, you could go out, get yourself a couple of cocktails, a little wine, nice couple of steaks and stuff, you know, lay down a nice tip. It'd be a little over one hundred bucks. Maybe you kidding me. You can't go to like freaking you know what you talked about going out and it was one hundred bucks when we're taking your kids out to.
Speaker 1: Chili establishment and it's you know, yeah, it's sixty bucks for a family of five with you know, two of them little kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Coming up, we're going to be talking to our good friend Dave had Or about this weird Internet shut down thing that happened the cloud.
Speaker 1: Which I don't understand, but uh, all I know is we live in this world where people expect immediate instantaneous access to the Internet, and all of a sudden there were some issues and it was a problem.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I will.
Speaker 2: I will cop to the fact that one day I got up and looked at me and I'm just I always just flip up my pad and sit dur and drink a cup of coffee, just looking like the Inquiry website. And she goes, do you have the Internet that's not popping up?
Speaker 5: What's going on?
Speaker 2: She goes, I don't know. Mine went out so we just sat third kind of.
Speaker 1: Staring at what do we do?
Speaker 5: How's this?
Speaker 1: We gotta talk to each other.
Speaker 2: Damn that I need something to talk about. We got the news now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: News Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred w l W, Cincinnati.
Speaker 14: He seven victor bond for the man police who police say shot and injured two people in Fountain Square with the three point thirty report. I'm Sean Gallagher breaking now. The man accused of firing shots into a restaurant in the City Center last week appeared in court today.
Speaker 15: Twenty four year old Shaquille Ferguson turned himself in on Sunday. Cincinnati police say he was on probation for a prior aggravated assault conviction from July when he pulled a gun and fireired into the City Bird restaurant on Fountain Square, injuring two people last Monday, a sixteen year old and a nineteen year old. Ferguson's attorney says it was self defense. Investigators also say that the gun Ferguson used in that Fountain Square shooting was the same one that he allegedly used in a separate shooting on Spring Grove Avenue in Northside just two days before. He's now being held on two point six million dollars with a grand jury set to meet before the end of the month. I'm Jack Crumley News Radio seven hundred WLA now the latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 6: From the UC Health Traffic Center. Mammogram Safe Lives Call five one three five eight four pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with UC Health Sexpert Team five one three five eight four pink. Seventy five traffic is sewing southbound Ronerwing and Highway to Norwood latter through the road to work breakdown on seventy one at North Ronaling and Cross County Highway. It's off on the right shoulder and we are looking at seventy five northbound of Buttermilk Pike and that incident has now cleared. All vehicles been towed out of the way on Westwood Avenue between White and Quebec Vine. At Clinton's Springs and Observatory at Michigan Police are cleaning up accidents seventy five northbound Burlington Pike. Donaldson is filming in once for a couple of minute delay through the area. My Rick Shrimp News Radio seven hundred.
Speaker 13: The latest forecast from a train heating and cooling weather center on news radio seven hundred wl jellis.
Speaker 16: It's a beautiful Monday afternoon. Sunny skies are back. Temperatures in the mid sixties today. Tonight will drop into the upper forties to around fifty by Tuesday morning. A spotty shower possible on Tuesday, and then we're drying out into midweek, temperatures would drop. Look for overnight loads to be in at thirties for much of midweek into late week. From your severe weather station, I'm nine first one Meteorologists kJ Jacobs's Radio seven hundred WLW Sunday.
Speaker 1: Right now now at sixty four degrees.
Speaker 14: A point of Ohio voters conducted by Bullingeren State University and Public Policy Research Research Network shows that President Trump's approval rating has declined steadily in the state since returning to office in February. Trump at a plus six favorable rating, slipping to negative one in April and currently sit to negative ten. Sixty percent of the eight hundred Ohio voter survey said they did not approve of the president's tariff policies. Trump on Ohio's electoral votes when he won the election in twenty sixteen, lost in twenty twenty, and when he won again in twenty twenty four. Comedian John Mulaney, currently on his Mister Whatever tour, has added a Cincinnati date in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: I don't know what my body is for other than just taking my head from room to room.
Speaker 14: Mullaney will take the stage at Half Theater February twenty seven. Tickets go on sale Friday morning through Ticketmaster.
Speaker 5: Seven one hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 17: It's a Bengals update brought to you by Good Spirits and Party Town with thirteen convenient locations in northern Kentucky. Bengals get back to work this week. Get ready for the to seven New York Jets Sunday at pay Course, State More tonight on Bengals Line starting at six oh five Right here on seven hundred w WELW Soccer News. FC Cincinnati midfielder of Anders been named the MLS Team of the Match Day. Evander earns his twelve starting Team of the Match Day honors this season, the most individual honors in a season in club history, after scoring a goal and adding an assist in FC's three to nothing win over c F Montreal on Saturday. Bill Edison seven hundred WLW sports a half hour trading on Wall Street. Currently, the Dow is currently up five one hundred and thirty two points. Nat'stick up three hundred and twenty four the S and p F seventy five. Our next update is at four o'clock. I'm Sean Gallagher, News Radio, seven hundred WLWA.
Speaker 9: More did a few of.
Speaker 18: Our patients have talked to me about their first time, but it's not the first time you're probably thinking about. It's the first time that arectile dysfunctioned ruined the moment, so rock overnight.
Speaker 2: I started to suggest because you ran into some flight difficulties over the weekend, Yes, I did. But this I thought maybe that this might have caused that. But this was yours was Saturday night, right, this was last night.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it was weather, or if it was just the fact it was United Airlines or just the fact that I was flying out of DC.
Speaker 2: But anyway, well, let's talk about this event that happened last night with our good friend Dave Hatter. So, Dave, this web service of the cloud, the Amazon Cloud go explain because Rocky and I were talking. Neither of us know what the cloud is. We've heard of it, we don't know what it is.
Speaker 19: You know, guys, in the most basic terms, the cloud is really just someone else's computer. So that you going out and buying a computer aka server to run some kind of service on, think printer sharing, file sharing, whatever. Said. If you having that infrastructure yourself, you're outsourcing it to someone else. That's a little more complicated than that, of course, but in the most basic terms, you're just based offloading outsourcing services to someone else. And in this case, Amazon Web Services. A lot of people don't realize how much Amazon is into, you know, a long time ago, to support a lot of their own initiatives, including their Amazon website, they developed something called Amazon Web Services and it's the cloud based platform that you can purchase resources from. So again, rather than you buying a server or run a database on and buying a server or run your ERP system, Nitor or whatever you might need to do for your business, just about anything you could possibly provide for yourself, either by building yourself or buying software from someone like a Microsoft or someone and running it on your own devices like you would.
Speaker 4: Have Let's say twenty years ago.
Speaker 19: You can dump that into Amazon Web Services, and a lot of people have done that. From recent stats I saw it looks like about thirty percent of other cloud based services, things that you might use like Venmo or you know.
Speaker 4: I saw some headlines here that apparently.
Speaker 19: Some airlines were affected by this. A lot of companies have outsourced their services and capabilities into Amazon Web Services, so just like they might Microsoft. Right, Microsoft has some of the called Azure, Google has Google Cloud. They're the three big players, So most businesses that would outsource some type of services are using one of those three. And you can see just how big Amazon Web Services is by the sheer volume of outages today. I mean, you know, all kinds of different services, not just Amazon services, like apparently ring doorbells were down, which really, you know, hurts my feeling. Guys, you know how much I allow to be Internet things anyway, But you can see how big this impact was by the sheer number of different services that were down. And this also really gets to the heart of third party risk, which ironically, I just did a presentation on Friday. The idea that as I outsource more of my services and capabilities for my business or my organization to a third party to provide that if it goes down, well, that impacts me. So it's been a wild day, and you know, it looks like things are mostly back from what I can tell, but it looks like there were also some false starts along the way.
Speaker 1: So what exactly happened then to Amazon web server? Was it hacked? Was it an operator error sort of situation?
Speaker 4: What was it?
Speaker 19: Well, so far I haven't seen anyone that's reporting there was any hacking, it looks like. And so one of the reasons why people with outsource right is you can do things at scale much more quickly and much less expensively. Now you are paying a subscription service when you use these tools, and you know, depending on how you use it and how much resources you consume, it could ultimately be more expensive in the long run. But generally speaking, if you just want to quote spin out the server real fast, it's fast and easy to do this. And they have multiple data centers, so you have some redundancy. The idea that it's data center A goes down, data center B takes over, and your stuff keeps working. Obviously that didn't work as well today as it perhaps it could have. But it looks like in their US East one region data centers they have some outage. Again, it does not appear to be hacked from what I can tell, although you know, guys, we've talked about this a lot over the years, and sometimes after more due diligence is done, more forensics are done, you find out that whatever the initial reporting on something was is not what actually happened. But it looks like, and without getting too nerdy on it is something called DNS, the Main Name System. It's a way to resolve an English like name like seven hundred WLW dot com to the IP address that makes it possible to find something on the Internet. From what I could tell, it looks like there were some DNS issues that knocked out Dynamo dB, which is a database that a lot of people use when they're on Amazon Web Services. And then that just started sort of a cascading effect of knocking other things off. And then it looks like, you know, you can go to Amazon and then for what it's worth, if you're a business out there, whether it's Amazon or Microsoft or Google you might be using for some part of your business. They all have dashboards you can go to and try to understand like what is happening when these things go down? So do you go to the Amazon Service health dashboard. They kind of give you an ongoing log if you will, of what's been done over time. But it looks like that caused some cascading errors. And then as that went down, that started to knock off other people like Zoom, Slack, Canva, Roadblocks and other cloud based services that you would think would be their own service, but they're actually using Amazon Web Services in the back end to support.
Speaker 4: Whatever offering they're providing to you. Again, it gives you, It shows.
Speaker 19: You just how prevalent third party risk is as we rely more and more on all these digital services. And that it's where I forget. The one thing that this really shows guys, and I know you guys will dig this. Think how awesome would be if we had this awesome digital ID from the government to control everything you did and everything you bought when a system like this went down, because apparently it knocked some of those out as well around the world. Think how awesome it would be if you couldn't buy anything or really do anything because your digital ID was down because of some sort of Again, what appears to be just an error. At this point.
Speaker 1: Now we're entering matrix territory, and I like it.
Speaker 5: I'm with you.
Speaker 1: There's other countries like that. They write that. I mean in China for instance, that isn't like like the currency kind of controlled and it's all online and there's you know, certain times you can buy this and other times you can't buy that. Am I incorrect in saying this?
Speaker 19: Yeah, like your social credit score and so forth. And here's the guy on X James Melville, spot the problem with a mandate toorre digital ID controlled by the government, and he has a screenshot of gov dot UK, the government gateway, with it being down, presumably because of Amazon Web Services dn M. So yeah, you know, I am fundamentally against digital ID for any number of reasons, not the least of which is whether it's some sort of error in the services that make it possible or some sort of attack by an adversarial nation state like China. And imagine if you could knock that out, and then imagine that you could knock it out for days or weeks, the chaos and the problems.
Speaker 4: That that would cause.
Speaker 19: So again, at this point, guys, it does not appear to be hacking. There's no indication of that. No one is reporting that. Amazon of course is you know, pretty much said that, you know, it was a DNS problem that caused Dynamo dB to go down, and then that started to knock other services off, and then they had to do multiple fixes along the way to get everything back up. And again, from what I can tell from the most current reporting I could find, most services are back now. But this really should be a wake up call to everyone that's out there again about the idea of third party risk if you're just going out and signing up for the first thing you find, if you're not doing any betting, because again, Amazon Web Services, if you're in the business like me, they're one of the eight hundred pound earlists there Again, roughly thirty percent of the entire Internet is ultimately supplied by.
Speaker 4: Amazon Web Services.
Speaker 19: That you will you know, the idea that you as a business need to have your business working and available around the clock or whatever. If you're not carefully vetting these services, you know, what do you think the mom and pop shop down the street is capable of versus someone like Amazon, who is raking in billions of dollars a year just from Amazon Web Services alone. I mean, if you dig into their revenue stream, you'll see if AWS isn't number one, it's near the top of the way they produce revenue with Amazon. So it's a powerful and important capability for them and then also for all of the people that rely on it to provide their services. Again, I'm just reading some headlines the Zoom Slack canva. I think United Airlines many other businesses were impacted by this today.
Speaker 1: Well and Dave, We've talked about this a lot, but I feel like it comes back to the same issue, and that is, especially when it comes to tech, people don't know how it works. They don't want to know how it works. They just want to work all the time and expect that it's going to work.
Speaker 20: Right.
Speaker 1: So, I guess what is the going forward? Do you see this happening more or or? I mean, you know, most people don't know how to open up their own server and do all that. Other's like, hell, well that's way over my head. I'll just pay Amazon to do that. And I guess that can get you in trouble.
Speaker 19: Well, you know, that's a good question, Rocky. Do I think there'll be more of this? I think potentially there will now again, these guys are at the top of the heap in terms of their capabilities and so forth, and it'll be really interesting over the next few days to get a more after action report or post mortem, if you will, over what really happened. Once the dust kind of settles around this and the services are back online and you know, you can build redundancy. It's one of the things we preach all the time at interest to customers to think about resiliency is what is an outage in downtime going to do to your business? You know, can you withstand not being able to operate for a day or two days or a week, Because if you're willing to spend enough money, you know, you can almost always build a system that will give you what we nerds like to call five of uptime. I mean, it's like, you know, it's it's up almost one hundred percent of the time, but that gets really expensive and you know it may not necessarily be warranted. I think, you know. When Again, the key thing I would encourage everyone that's out there to think about, is okay third party risk when I sign up for some cloud based service for whatever reason, if it's mission critical to my business. You know, what is the backup plan? What does an outage mean for me? Can I spend more money and get more services?
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 19: This is pro if you think about it. When's the last time you heard about an outage of this scale? And the last time I can remember was when CrowdStrike caused an outage and that was not a cloud based thing. That was an essentially an anti virus agent that went bad and you know, knocked out a bunch of the Windows computers that it was running on. So, you know, I think there is the potential to see more at this because more and more people rely on these days. And my real concern about all this has always been until we get serious as a society about buildings that are resilient and robust and are very difficult, if not impossible, to knock out and obviously nothing is it possible? As we rely more and more of this stuff, guys, you know, the societal risk continues to grow. That's why we need things like the Cybersegerity and infrastructure security agencies, Secure by Design IDEA and software bill of materials so you understand what you're signing up for and have some visibility into these services and transparency as opposed to you just hope it doesn't go out. And again, this doesn't happen very often, but when it does happen, it causes a lot of chaos. And again, imagine if you were digital IDs were all connected to this and that system just went down and you basically were cut off. What a bad idea that would be and how unfortunate.
Speaker 4: That would be for society.
Speaker 19: So essentially, yes, we don't need digital idea. It's a terrible idea, you know, central bank, digital currency, all these things. It's a bad idea for many reasons. But this outage, just in the last day shows you how how catastrophic.
Speaker 9: Did it be.
Speaker 19: And now imagine if it turns out this was some sort of nation state actor like China or Russia that caused this, And imagine if they wouldn't have been able to Again, assuming it's all fixed, and that what I can tell, it looks like most everything is back. Now this went on for days or couldn't be fixed for weeks. The kind of chaos this would cause. All right, well, uh, it's it's not just games like roadblocks, it's United airlines, it's all kinds of things. So anyway, I'll shut up.
Speaker 2: I see before like my son's uh with their if their game access goes down, that is a natural, uh national catastrophe with the with that day. We will let you go, buddy, thanks so much.
Speaker 19: I always want to pleasure guys.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dave had He and yeah, big deal. It didn't affect me at all, but obviously it affected a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: It's again, it's just one of those things people don't give a damn how it works. It just needs to work. I mean electricity, I mean, do you know exactly how electricity? No, but when you flip that switch, it better go on or you're all kinds of upset. That's kind of the same thing, but like a little more complicated. And there's clouds and there's servers, and there's all this other.
Speaker 5: Stuff with that.
Speaker 2: I don't even know how this is a microphone works. But let's let's see. Rick has the traffic for us.
Speaker 1: It's the magic of radius.
Speaker 2: The magic of radius. They're an old ad campaign like that, the magic. Yeah, we're magical unicorns here.
Speaker 6: That's exactly what we keep telling ourselves, you know, with that digital idea. The only thing I hear is another password I gotta remember I don't need that. I mean, for the love of God, got enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that is annoying.
Speaker 2: I just got up. Why I'm just I'm sorry interrupt, but I just got a Literally, as I was walking into the office, I got a text from a number in Oklahoma asking me if I went in Mexican Food tonight for dinner. Where does that come from?
Speaker 6: But go ahead, I reckon, just well, maybe it's a guy named you know Poco, you met years ago.
Speaker 1: You never know it.
Speaker 6: From the UC Health Traffic Center Mammograms Saved Lives, I call five one three five eight four pink. Scheduled your annual mammogram with UC Hell's expert team. Five one three five eight four Pink. Two seventy five eastboun approaching Montgomery. It's the left lane taking up with an accident and CRUIS are on the scene getting this handle. We've got a breakdown out reported on seventy one north bound of Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway. It's off on the right hand side. Slow traffic on seventy five southbound from the Brent Spence down to Freeman. That is because of an earlier accident that has cleared out of the way in seventy five southbound rod A Reagan Highway down to Norwood Ladder, where you have about a five minute trip through the area. I'm Rick Shrapne's Radio seven hundred WDLW.
Speaker 2: The forecast from the seven hundred WLW Weather Center ford toned portly cloudy, a slight chance of a shower, the low of fifty four tomorrow, partly cloudy and sixty six. It is sixty five. Now News Radio, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 5: All right, mister Penny, I'm going to say a word, and you tell me the first thing that pops into your mind. Got you doc comfortable. Scott's loan desirable.
Speaker 9: Scott's loan.
Speaker 5: You cannot say Scott's bone every time?
Speaker 9: That all right?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 5: I won't good. The word is charming. A monkey, but that's good with it.
Speaker 1: A monkey in the jungle listening to Scott's.
Speaker 5: Loan, Scott's loan, you may become obsessed.
Speaker 21: Join me Scott's Loan tomorrow morning at nine o'clock on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 5: Monkey listening to scott Sloan, you're telling me they don't.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored by Continental Roof Company. Best Products, Best Price, the first time.
Speaker 2: Enforcing tough menu choices, the call, overhead costs, you know, inflation, marketing, hiring runner restaurant man. I tell you, I used to think that that was something I would have wanted to do.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, No, not not at all. And I think a lot of it all stemmed back to COVID and just how how much everyone was lied to and all the dumb things they put in place. But it drove prices through the roof it. You know, I never heard the term supply chain issue more during that time, and I think you continue to hear it. But you know, it's certainly tough for these guys to own restaurants. I definitely feel for them. But at the end of the day, you're not in this to provide free food. You're into This is a business, and you got to make some money off of it. But it's getting tougher and tougher because those prices just kind of keep rising.
Speaker 2: Well, it says here, blah blah blah blah. The basic math is whatever product you have, you should divide by three, and that's what the product should cost to the consumer to operate at a healthy margin. If the prices continue to increase. There's only so much that could consumer is going to be willing to pay. And as you and I were talking, it seems to me it wasn't all that long ago you could go out and get a really good meal for one hundred bucks. Now going out and getting a decent meal is going to be one hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Yea easy, that's where we're at. Yeah, and a just kind of an average meal. Hey, we just want to get some of our bellies and get on with it is becoming expensive.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk to our expert in these matters.
Speaker 4: He is.
Speaker 2: He heads up the franchise consulting company, the Great American Franchise Expo. He's author of the franchise NBA. He's been with us many times. I always love talking to our good friend Nick. NEI and acas Nick, welcome.
Speaker 9: Back, Hey Eddie, Hey Rochie. Great to be back.
Speaker 2: So Nick, how long Rock and I are? We just talking about how how is this sustainable for these guys.
Speaker 22: It's a tough, tough corner of the economy right now, and it really has been since the pandemic. No, you have all these massive shocks that got crammed in just a couple of months. I mean from labor to you know, food, transportation, energy, I mean, everything really hit and you know fully but surely we start climbing out of it, and then it's like whack a mole.
Speaker 9: Right, So now food costs continue to go up and you nailed it.
Speaker 22: I mean, at some point, how can you afford to take a family of four or you know, five or six out to eat if it's gonna be you know, thirty bucks ahead, forty bucks ahead.
Speaker 1: And Nick, let me ask you this, is there like a magic number in terms of a profit margin that most restaurants are trying to hit. You know what I mean, if if to buy the ingredients for that cheeseburger cost x, we're trying to we need to mark it up to be able to make this to just kind of keep the lights on and turn some kind of profit.
Speaker 22: Yeah, you know traditional margins and restaurant world, we're about twenty five to thirty three percent should be your food costs. Right, So if you buy something for a buck, triple it, then you're going to have labor overhead and you should get a profit, a net profit in your pocket that's going.
Speaker 9: To be in the low teens to mid teens.
Speaker 22: Right, This is never a technology we're going to make eighty six percent on our margin, you know, or medical you know, or sometimes it could be crazy.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 22: This is honest business where people are saying for every one hundred dollars that I sell, I'm going to get ten or twelve dollars for me.
Speaker 1: That sounds very much, Mark, I would say that's tos's tight. There's a lot of work. These folks are going through and busting their butts, uh in having high prices just to get a ten percent. That's that's rough, right, Well, that's.
Speaker 9: Why you're seeing a lot of restaurants close up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it seems more and more, Nick And what can you say about that as far as the business goes, because I've seen a lot of businesses or a lot of restaurants around here that are closing. Now, we just found out that the big chain here that came into well, they're supposed to supplant fishes here, the Big Boy chain with the Dolly's chain. I'm sure you're familiar with them out of Michigan.
Speaker 5: I believe they are.
Speaker 2: And now that we just found out that they're all closing down here in the area.
Speaker 22: Yeah, you know, it's it's really going to bring out the best in American entrepreneurs, which is we always shine when times are tough. Not easy for the guys that are going out, but the reality is you've got three hundred and thirty million people. Every one of them is going to eat at least a couple times a day, and people are going to want to go out to eat, whether they're busy, they're on the road, they don't have the time to cook.
Speaker 9: So there's always going to be a market.
Speaker 22: So the challenge is how do you take this scenario where on one side, if you're clever, you've got a really good opportunity because people who are less clever are going to go out of business. Right, just because everything is more expensive, it doesn't mean people are going to figure things out.
Speaker 9: What does that look like.
Speaker 22: It looks like lower cost food products that are used to offset higher cost food products.
Speaker 9: Think about French fries and a burger.
Speaker 22: Right, potatoes are going to be cheaper, the meat's gonna be more expensive, so you're probably gonna see bigger portions of fries, smaller beef patties.
Speaker 9: But people are going to eat it.
Speaker 22: And if we are unfortunately giving too much, then the market isn't going to reward us.
Speaker 9: So that's the landscape that I think that we're in.
Speaker 22: And there is opportunity out there because the demand is there, but it's a real tight rope.
Speaker 9: But that's where big money is.
Speaker 1: Is there a certain kind of food that or the margins are better. I mean traditionally breakfast food was always kind of had pretty good margins and there you know, eggs went high. I think they're kind of back down now. But is there anything else that's you know, profit margins are usual, or at least have been in the past pretty good.
Speaker 22: You know, anything that has a long shelf life is going to be a good margin, right, think of rice, of pasta, think of pizza.
Speaker 9: Right, it's flour and water.
Speaker 22: These are things that you can stack up and store and keep, which isn't great for the health of our country because fresh vegetables, right, fresh meat, fish, things like this that are healthy for you have a very high cost of storage and of spoilage. And that is it's a really unfortunate observation when you think about it, because what it does is it makes us all less healthy if we can't afford to eat well. It actually hurts us as a nation because we're eating garbage.
Speaker 1: Right well, and I think that's probably again add this to the list of a hun hundred things that are hurting restaurants. Now to your point about shelf life, I don't know about you, but I feel like I've seen a big push within the last year about people pointing out the additives that are in the foods and the dyes and all the emulcifying agents and all this sort of things. So I feel like that's turning people away from restaurants that to some degree. Do you see that.
Speaker 9: One?
Speaker 22: I mean, everything is going to have elasticity of price, right, price goes up higher, fewer people can afford it.
Speaker 9: They're fewer people that can buy it.
Speaker 22: So if we're taking those things out of the food chain, which you know, we really probably shouldn't be eating all this garbage, then it's going to make food costs go up even more. That's just going to make it less affordable to people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nick Neanoccus is our guest, And Nick, is there a category of restaurant by that, I mean Chinese, Mexican blah blah blah that would that would tend to be able to kind of skirt around these issues or is it just kind of all over the board.
Speaker 9: Well, it's a little all over the board.
Speaker 22: But you know, if you take a look historically, take a look at Domino's pizza. Okay, you get a war, you get a recession, domino stock goes up, and I'm not giving financial advice, but you know, because it's inexpensive food, right, it's it's flour So businesses, restaurants, categories that have an over reliance on things like pasta and flower based product like pizza, those tend to do well. You start getting into the you know, all organic, fancy fresh vegetables, and you know, unless you've got a whole line of people that can pay forty five bucks, forty bucks, thirty five bucks for a meal with a drink and a salad, you're not going to be a business very lock. Those are the categories.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry because they're like a technology that restaurant folks are hoping develops that will help ease some costs. Whether that's I don't know, and I don't I'm not rooting for this, but you know, driverless trucks is it? I don't know what it is. Is there something that that's around the corner there. If it's AI that that's going to help drive things down or no, Yes, you know, I.
Speaker 22: Think if you take a look at technology and the labor component, right, so we've got food, we've got labor, we've got overhead, so we need to address each of those. On the labor side, you can use technology. This is where you're seeing robots, better cooking systems and processes where you need fewer people to make the food. And that's happening on the farm too, right, So if you go all the way back into the food chain, you know, this is something where we've been brilliant as Americans over decades is fewer people generally more being more productive. So AI, I think you're gonna see it working into the food category by identifying peak hours, how many people do you need to have?
Speaker 9: What are you ordering to have on hand? So it's gonna make the supply chain.
Speaker 22: Tighter, you see what I mean, So you don't have to have as much food that's gonna go bad because you know every second Wednesday you get a huge bump of traffic between four and eight pm. That's the kind of insights that I think data and technology are bringing and have brought and during the pandemic, that was the massive, major breakdown because even though we had all these supply chain systems in place, people weren't on the road. Nobody was driving trucks, people weren't picking in the fields. Right, So it's like, great, you have all these tools, but the inputs started getting all jacked up, and that was the big challenge that we had during the pandemic.
Speaker 1: And general, I mean, you make that point, I'm almost scared to ask, but how much food do restaurants throw out? I would just I mean, it's it's gonna be awful to see if you're a rushing you cook all this food and it's the end of the night. And I mean, is there any sort of grasp you have on that.
Speaker 22: You know, it depends on the category, but in general, you your eyes would pop out of your head, you know. And it's from what people don't eat. I mean the amount of waste that we have, food spoilage. You know, if you go into a supermarket and go go behind a supermarket just for fun and take a look at how much produce gets thrown out, you know, you could feed the homeless with that. And then there's you know the second harvest. You've probably seen some of these they have in Cincinnati. It's a great it's a great philanthropy and charity where you know, you're using some of this food to feed people that don't have the ability to eat, don't the only buy food.
Speaker 9: So yeah, we waste a lot in this country.
Speaker 2: Nick Neanakis our guests and Nick before we let you go one and also touch on you and I have talked about this, but we're not. I think you actually talked about it on the show. This new new business you're involved with too. These in ground dumpsters rock this is this is cool.
Speaker 22: Yeah, you know we were talking about technology, how do you save money? This is definitely part of that chain. So this was This came in from Europe. It's a vertical in ground dumpster. The companies called sub Contain Subcontained dot com. You may have seen these dumpsters. They're all over the world other than the United States. And you can put more garbage into a smaller footprint. It's a it's a tube that goes into the ground instead of a metal box. So restaurants save because they don't have to have the garbage picked up as often self compacts.
Speaker 9: So there are a lot of things like this that are that are happening.
Speaker 22: This is maybe one of the fastest grow franchises I've ever seen, because whether AI takes over the world or robots take over the world, we as human beings will create garbage and it needs to get dealt with. Hopefully the you know, the trash mob doesn't coming off. All these people that are involved in.
Speaker 2: It's going to be involved.
Speaker 1: It's funny, Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 19: You say that.
Speaker 1: I got a friend that I that I know he is. He's he's a millionaire and and he always said when he was looking to go into business, he said, I sat down when I was young, and I said, what does something that everybody everybody does, everybody uses? He said, everybody needs medical care, everybody dies, everybody has medical waste, and everybody needs to dispose of medical waste. And that's kind of where he went into his business. And boom, here you go, and uh, yeah, those trash impactor things are are pretty incredible. And what an aha idea just let self kind of pact itself. It seems very simple, but a brilliant ideal with those things, all right, it is and.
Speaker 9: You know, Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
Speaker 22: Right, So if you've got listeners thinking about what kind of business should I be looking for? Think of the basic human necessities. These are the things that there's always going to be a need for. And you know, if I could, if you'd like some more information on this subcontain uh take send the word franchise to two six seven eight six. So if your listener's text franchise to two six seven eight six, I'll send them the full package of info about this and I'll even throw in a copy of the franchise MBA my gift to your listeners.
Speaker 2: All right, well, good stuff Nick. With the that we will let you go, Buddy, always a pleasure, Thanks so much, Thanks fellas, Thanks buddy, our good friend Nick Neanacus. And with that, we had to traffic on weather.
Speaker 9: What is going on from the.
Speaker 6: Ac Health Traffic Center. Mammogram saved Live. I just called five P one three five eight four pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with your health s expert team five win to three five eight four pink. Left lane block two seventy five east bound approaching Montgomery. We've got a cruise on the scene of two seventy five westbound past Lovela Madeira accident down the left shoulder, seventy one north of Ridge, a crash and the left shoulder block on seventy one southbound pass Taft with an accident, and northbound seventy one at Ronald Rick and Cross County Highway. That's a breakdown on the right shoulder, and seventy one northbound of Reading. It's disabled now on the right hand side as well. I'm rix reproduce Radio seven hundred wd WELW.
Speaker 2: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW weather center ford toned, portly cloudy, a slight chance of his shower, the low of fifty four tomorrow, partly cloudy, and sixty six. It is sixty five now. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Willy is the one person I know I can count on, my friend.
Speaker 2: I want you to know that I'm Bill Cunningham, am here for you.
Speaker 1: He makes me feel good to be an American.
Speaker 11: Let me help ease your concerns, keep you informed, and raise your spirits.
Speaker 5: I rather have my arm not off by beavers than Miss Willie's show.
Speaker 9: I'm here for you.
Speaker 1: All you have to do is listen to me.
Speaker 2: The Great America I want to be a great American.
Speaker 5: Just like Willie Bill Cunningham. Tomorrow at twelve noon on seven hundred.
Speaker 11: W l W.
Speaker 23: This report is sponsored by Macy's Backstage. Macy's Backstage is a whole department inside your Macy's store where you can find the latest fall looks, all for under thirty dollars.
Speaker 2: With me all right back with Eddian Rocky coming up at the top of the ar. You got old buddy Dean Regus. He's out in the Grand Canyon again surveying the stars. Yes, that's cold gig if you can get it, man, heck yeah.
Speaker 1: But and it almost almost pains me to play this next clip here, but you know, I feel like maybe it'll give us some hope, give us something that we need here. And of course it was on this day in history, October twentieth, nineteen ninety Cincinnati Reds fans heard this.
Speaker 12: Landford good hitting, Oakland third baseman, and Meyer's bringing it and the pitcher is hit in the air, foul off first Benzinger backing and calling, and the nineteen ninety World Championship belongs to the Cincinnati Reds. As you might expect, they pile out of the dugout. They are jumping up and high vibing all smiles as Blue Panilla and his coaching staff break out of the dugout, gloves and caps all over the endfield. The Cincinnati Reds have done the absolute improbable by defeating the glut, considered to be the best in Major League Baseball, and they've done it in a four game series.
Speaker 4: Suite.
Speaker 2: That'ssane.
Speaker 4: Sane.
Speaker 1: I remember, I remember that SoundBite. We're listening to its last time the Reds heead glory head right there.
Speaker 2: Well, and it just it kills me too, just to you remind me that was the last game of the World Series, that the World Cherries has even started yet, right, Yeah. I granted that was thirty some years ago, but still, yeah, I don't. I don't think we should be playing baseball in November, dude, I don't care if it is in LA.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it done before beforehand. But no, that was yeah, remember well, and I just remember being I was ten years old and just remember being like just overcome by how big that was in Cincinnati and how everybody was into him. I'm not again ten years older. You remember stuff when you're young. I remember my mom got this like, uh, you know, kind of like little craft necklace. I don't know if she made I don't know, but it had a broom on it and Cincinnati Reds thing and which was you know with a sweep. Was was very cool, remember going to work with that on. But yeah, it was a big moment.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 2: Speaking of baseball though, how about a Tawny over the weekend?
Speaker 1: Man, we have ten strikeouts and three home runs? Was that the official stats in six innings? I mean, you know, and you can understand, you know, when you hear people say he's maybe the greatest baseball player of all time, you go, come on, but he does stuff like that. I think there is only one way to really overcome some of the big names like Ruth and all that. It's it's to be dominant in two things, you know, I mean, the most dominant hitter and a dominant pitcher, which is unheard of. And he's doing it.
Speaker 2: See that that was back in the day. Ruth started as a pitcher right because he was so good and put him in the outfield.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, incredible. Another news that Jack Cromley just passed us across my desk here and I haven't had a chance to digest all of it, but it's I think it's a sign of things to come. Ohs AA athletes will be able to make NIL deals after a ruling in the Ohio States, if they're ruling that just came down. So, uh, Franklin County judge ruled in favor of one of the top high school football players in the country. And if you haven't heard this kid, his name is Jamiir Brown. I paid place for Wayne High School and Huber Heights. Is that where you went? Okay, that's what I thought. And granting an order that temporarily halts a state prohibition on high school athletes from entering into an ILE deal, so for the foreseeable future, and I imagine this will be blocked by some second court of whatever. Right now, this will allow high school athletes to receive an IL deals, and right now, I believe is one of six states that don't allow an IL so most of the other ones this is happening only matter of time. And it happens because you know, again, the course a funny thing, and they make the case just like they did with the college athletes. Well, you're denying a young man in this case a right to be able to work to make money for his family. That's the case that's made. And you know, it's it can be you can it can be a decent case to be made. And it's kind of where we're at. I think it's I think it'd be a disaster. That's why I was going, I was going to ask you your thoughts on it. I I and it's hard to say that. It's because for some people like it would be, it would be something that would be life changing for their family if if you're like a very very But outside of that, I just feel like it creates a lot of just again, as everybody would say, a lot of problems, and especially with younger I mean you're talking about it. It's hard for college kids to deal with all this money and what to do with it and where to put it and how to protect it and all that. Now you're talking about young sixteen seven year old kids. Yeah, and you know, kids choosing high schools over over money instead of you know, maybe where their parents went or the place they want to go.
Speaker 2: And where does the money come. It's just from donors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's it's company. I think again, it's it's it's kind of how it started on college. It was like the big push was, you know, if a business, if a car dealer wants to pay the Ohio State quarterback money to sign autographs at his dealership on a Sunday, he should be able to do that, Okay, And people fought for that. But then that's not what it turned into. It turned into donors and businesses buying buying players. That's what it turned into. And I think again, Chris Henry Jr. By everything I've heard, that's why he went out to Modern Day and played because he's like, well, I could stick around here in Ohio he was at Withrow and go out there and make money and play and still go to Ohio State.
Speaker 2: So but it is it is crazy, man, that that that is creeping. How low does it go?
Speaker 1: What was even crazier is I've talked to high school coaches and they are starting to see and this is a part of it, but high school players like opting out of their senior year kind of thing because you know, or whether maybe they get a little bit of money, or maybe they they commit to Michigan or Ohio State or something like, I don't know if I really want to risk getting hurt and getting out the area. I don't know if that's really the best thing I want to do. And it's crazy, but.
Speaker 2: In and only a matter of time rock before it trickles down to like junior high next. I mean, you hear about people all the time going in and starting to stealthy's the twelve, thirteen, fourteen year old kids to that point.
Speaker 1: I saw a video online and I can't confirm, you know how, the accuracy of it, but it was this guy. He was a youth football coach talking. He's like, folks, it's here. It finally happens. You know, some player like the mom approached this guy and said, hey, we're from Florida, and you know AJ here is the top receivers. And again we're talking like ten years old, eleven years old, the top players in Florida. Lots of teams that won him. The price is one thousand bucks a month. He's like, well, huh what yeah, but I mean you could see you can certainly certainly see it trickling down to that, and maybe there's places or coaches or teams that pay that. That's a bridge too far. That a bridge too far. High school paying of athletes is a bridge too far from me. But that is insane being a youth parent saying you want, if you want, want my guy to play for you, and the case toy making is well, you're a some other team is gonna pay him if you don't. That's what happens. It's like people don't want to do it, but then they wind up playing against that player. He winds up kicking their ass because some other opponent is paying them, and then they go, well, can't beat them, join them?
Speaker 2: Oh, I would assume so that when the parents are going to gang up and you're like, what do you let that kid go for?
Speaker 1: Yeah, our team and we are kicking our butts r either kicking our butts for a couple hundred bucks. That's there's gotta be a line on this, and I think that's for me. That's it.
Speaker 2: With that, we check in with traffic and weather, what is going on and from the.
Speaker 6: UC Health Traffic Center, Mammo Graham Save Lives called five one three five eight four pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with the UC Health's expert team five one three five eight four pink two seventy five west bound pass. The level of Madeira crash on the left shoulder and the left shoulder on seventy one southbound pass taft as a crash and police are on the scene. Here. We're looking at seventy one north bound at Ronald Rig and Cross County Highway with a breakdown off on the right shoulder and on two seventy five Moss Elderton, Montgomery traffic is the latest about an eleven minute trip because of the earlier accident in that area that has now cleared out of the way. Seventy five southbound between Renald rig and Highway nor what lateral is sluggish southbound seventy five as a Charnals to the Brent Spence is about a five minute drive. Wine Bridge Rep News Radio seven hundred w WELW.
Speaker 2: The forecast from the seven hundred WLW Weather Center forward and I portly cloudy, a slate chance of his shower, the low of fifty four tomorrow party cloudy and sixty six it is sixty five now. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: Is it true Tom Brenneman names his pants and his favorite is called Percy?
Speaker 9: That is not true.
Speaker 13: Is it true that as a child Tom Brenneman hit under the covers and listen to the radio and he's incredible. Hulk jammies. Well, that's one of those yes and those sort of things. It's a true Tom Brenneman. Buss buns to start your day, right, That's true and I'm proud of it.
Speaker 24: Join me for the latest news traffic from Chuck Ingram, weather from Jennifer Ketchmark, plenty of laughs and a whole lot more.
Speaker 13: Tom Brenneman tomorrow morning at five am on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 23: This report is sponsored by Miami Valley Gaming.
Speaker 17: Gip to Miami Valley Gaming October twenty fifth for a chance to win a brand new GEEP thirty and I.
Speaker 1: Own money in high school, Yes, and we talked before the break there. SAA will now allow athletes to be able to make an IL after and also a lawsuit was brought forth by a kid by the name of Jamir Brown. He's in Ohio state wide receiver commit by most services out there. He's the number one wide receivercruit in the country. He goes to Wayne High School and Huber Heights and his attorney made the case that he's already missed out and over one hundred thousand dollars of potential deals. And what he has said is he makes the case. Look, if you were a generational talent at playing trumpet, okay, then some place, some orchestra would would love your services and they would be able to pay you as a high school kid, Hey, ed, come to the New York Symphony and play trumpet for us. We don't, you know, boom, let's go. That would be allowed. But a football player, a top football player, can't do the sense. So that's the case that's made. And I guess my counter that would be I understand that. As I laid out earlier in the last segment, the nil for college players was supposed to be if a player gets his name up to a certain degree of recognition where it has some value. Where another example, a car dealer wants to or no, a local Arby's wants to have you know, young that that great quarterback Ed Fingers wants to have him in on Sunday from noon to three, and he's gonna be there and sign autographs and pay you five thousand bucks to do that. That's what it was supposed to be, but it turned into buying players, which is what you could see happening with high school kids.
Speaker 2: Oh totally. Let's take a couple of calls on it. It's let's get first to Brian and Indiana. Hey, Brian, what's up?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 20: Yeah, Okay, if a child is not legally considered of age till eighteen, then how can they really the inner n I L contract without some type of parent involvement and being in the middle of that and possibly selling the kids off to the highest bid.
Speaker 11: That's not right.
Speaker 1: No, that's exactly what happens. Exactly what it is, exactly right, that's what happens. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the kid can't do anything on his own, you know. Yeah, let's uh, let's talk to Gary. Hey, Gary, what's going on in Walnut Hills, buddy? Or Western Hills after and.
Speaker 11: Gentlemen, So isn't this a form of exactly what Mohler was doing years ago when we know a faust Yeah, sat there and moved families into the into the district so that the kids could.
Speaker 9: Go to Molar.
Speaker 11: It's just a form of the exact same thing. Mike. My biggest thing is this, especially for high school.
Speaker 9: If if you're getting any.
Speaker 11: Type of scholarship at all to go to a high school, to play a sport. Aren't you getting paid anyway? Isn't the scholarship in itself form of payment?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: And here's the other loophole. If you want to look into the inner workings of this. High schools are allowed to give some scholarships for anything, and you can call it anything. You can call it a leadership scholarship. Well, what's the criter here, I don't know, be a leader, whatever the hell that means. And they can give it to They just happen to give it to that football player right there. You get the you know, you know, Rocky em boyman leadership scholarship, right boom and that guy comes in, So, yeah, it is. It's it is kind of the same thing. It's just I guess a little more forthright that it's actual cash.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 11: And I'll tell you write this down a piece of paper mail through yourself. Ten years from now. This is going to be the ruin of high school sports and college sports. This nil thing. This will be the ruin of that because there is no commitment. And it's started years ago with coaches being able to sign a five year, three year contract and then another school comes calling after four years and that coach leaves. There's no commitment on the coaches level. There's not gonna be any commitment on the player's level. What are we teaching these people about commitment? When are we teaching our young adults about commitment? I can go someplace until I find something better. Oh, I can go someplace there until I find something better. And kids are entering the porthole every year to go and up the up the anti.
Speaker 1: I guess the case commitment. I guess the case we made is. And let me ask you that, like, what do you do for a living or did you do for a living?
Speaker 19: I used to own my own business.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you owned your own business. So what would stop you from going from another business down the street wants to pay one hundred thousand dollars more a year. You're able to freely go and take that and join that business because they're paying you more. Right, why shouldn't I coach or a player. I'm just saying that's the case that can be.
Speaker 4: Made well, and I'm fine with that.
Speaker 11: My point is, honor the commitment. If you sign a five year deal to go and I don't know all the ins and outs of scholarships for kids you know, scholarships, from my understanding is it's like a one year thing at a time. I mean, you may say you're going to go to Ohio State University for five years to play football, but it's one year to the next year to the next year. There are criteria that have to be met in order for you to continue to get that scholarship. But in a coach's situation, he sits and says, I'm going to go coach for Ohio State and I'm going to stay there for five years. And three years or four years later, UCLA or Wisconsin or whoever comes along and says, we'd like to have come to play here, we'll buy your contract out. Well, you've got players that have committed to coming and playing for coach Johnson or coach Smith or whoever it may be, and suddenly they're going, well, wait to say, he's not even gonna be here. I want to leave it too. That's the reason why the whole thing started rambling downhill. It's like a little snowball that you push down a hill and eventually it turns into a great, big boulder. It's just all going to get out of control, and and you can see it happening already.
Speaker 19: That's just my opinion.
Speaker 11: I mean, I might be totally but.
Speaker 9: I'm with you.
Speaker 1: Uh, I guess, but I guess the Devil's advocate again, I am. I'm firmly with it there needs. I'm okay with the players being paid to some degree, but how it's being done I think is crazy. Like I mean, Joe Burrow can't in the middle of the year say, you know what, I decided that I want more money from uh, you know, the New York Giants, and I'm gonna have a better chance. No, there's a contract. Yeah, if you have a five year contract, you got to commit. And in college it's it's crazy you can leave a place and go to a place for the spring portal and and be there in the spring that another place can Again, the other side of the argument would be just a point on both sides, and people say, oh, this is ruining college football. College football has never been more popular. I mean, look at the TV ratings, Look at the fact that I and also and look at the fact that like Indiana, Indiana is like maybe the best football team in the nation right now and could be sustainable for years to come. Well because they have a good nil right, right, buddy, John Cougar Mellen Camp. I think is he's not. I'm just kidding. But nevertheless, you know, so that's the other side of it is some other places that were never ever going to be powers now can be. So it's it's certainly interesting and that's why it's such a great talking point.
Speaker 2: Coming up, we're gonna be talking to our good friend Deanrigez. He is out gazing at the stars in the bottom of the Grand Camp.
Speaker 5: I think he.
Speaker 2: I think I saw that he's at the bottom of the Greg Canyon the other day. He was, he was he hiked down there.
Speaker 19: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, he's living a life. Come on, he's an astronomer to the man. He's a chopper down there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got one of those luxury donkeys that breake him down there, with like the extra long fur and the padded the saddle.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he ain't hooking down there, my friend.
Speaker 2: We'll be talking to him after the news right now on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: News Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati.
Speaker 21: Could be a step closer to allowing high school kids to be paid.
Speaker 5: This is the five oh two report.
Speaker 21: I'm Matt's breaking Now, Ohio high school athletes are now temporarily allowed to be paid in the debate over nil compensation, that's name, image and likeness. Ohio is one of just a handful of states that doesn't allow high school athletes to be compensated. The top wide receiver in the state, Jmir Brown of Wayne High School and the Dayton area, has hired an attorney to sue over the band.
Speaker 25: What being asked here is for a student athlete to be able to earn compensation, not to just be given compensation, but to earn it based on the licensing of their name, image and likeness for social media influencing and other things. And so that is an opportunity for high school student athletes.
Speaker 21: That's attorney Luke Fedlam who has now won a temporary restraining order on that state wide band, blocking it until another hearing that's coming up on December fifteenth. The Ohio High School Athletic Association is expected to give details soon. And now we turn to your drive home this afternoon. Have the latest traffic and weather together from the.
Speaker 6: UC Health Traffic Center. Mammograham Saved Lives called five one three five A four pink schedule your annual mammogram with UC healths Expert Team five one to three, five eight four pink cruise on the scene of an accent three seventy five west bound pass. The Lovela Madeira left shoulder is affected. Two once seventy one southbound pass taft break down on the shoulder on the right hand side of seventy one northbound of Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway. And we've got the heavier pockets of traffic on two seventy five getting across the Carrol Cropper Bridge. We have that bridgework in effect for a little while longer, and then to seventy five is also sewing at the Combs Hil Bridge with the ongoing bridge work on seventy five northbound two seventy five to the Brent Spence It's about a twelve minute drive. I'm Rick SHREMP News Radio seven hundred Double d Wellwed Now the.
Speaker 26: Latest forecast from the No Fear Dentist Weather Center Advanced Dentistry.
Speaker 5: The thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck. We're here for you, No Fear Dentist dot Com.
Speaker 27: We're clouding up tonight We'll see an overnight chance of rain, a morning low of fifty degrees coming tomorrow that early chance, and then mostly sunny, a high of sixty five at night, mostly clear. We dropped to forty four from your severe Weather station. I'm nine First Warning Chief Meteorologist, Steve Raley News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 21: Sixty five degrees in Cincinnati. This news brought to you by Express Pro Tire and Auto. The twelfth Street Girl Scout Bridge in Covington and Newport closed for emergency repairs. There's a possible problem with a joint on the bridge. The repairs expected to last about a week, with a reopening of the twelfth Street Girl Scout Bridge expected next Monday. There's a new study out on safety in American cities. How does Cincinnati rank well safer than Cleveland and Columbus.
Speaker 26: Your report shows as Cincinnati came in one hundred and thirty fifth on a list of the safest cities in America. All of HOUP compared the one hundred and eighty biggest cities in America on factors like crime and traffic accidents. To put together this list, they also factored in things like natural disasters and economic indicators that could impact someone's safety. Warwick, Rhode Island, Overland Park, Kansas, and Burlington, Vermont finished one, two and three as the safest cities in America least safe New Orleans and Memphis, Sinna I did finish ahead of Cleveland, Columbus, Akron and Toledo, de meaning the safest city in Ohio. I'm Brian Colmes News Radio, so I've never wlw BOD.
Speaker 21: Safety issues in Cincinnati is the reason the chief of police is under pressure to resign. It's been in no indication if and when that's going to happen. But Chief Teresa Fiji does have an attorney and is apparently negotiating her departure from the Cincinnati Police Department. An update on one of the latest acts of violence today, bond set at two point six million dollars for twenty four year old Shaquille Ferguson, surrendered after last week's shooting at the City Bird restaurant on Fountain Square. A sixteen and nineteen year old were injured. That bond includes another shooting that occurred in Northside that Ferguson is suspected in a couple of days earlier, Wall Street closing hire to kick off the week, text shares leading the way. I had some big name earnings reports coming out in the coming days. Apple was up four percent, DOW gained five point fifteen to forty six thousand, seven six SP five hundred seventy one NASDAC UP three hundred and ten seven one hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 17: It's a Bengals VD brought to you by Good Spirits and Party Town with thirteen convenient locations in northern Kentucky. Bengals get back to work this week. Get ready for the to seven New York Jets Sunday at pay Course Stadium. More tonight on Bengals Line starting at six oh five right here on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Soccer News.
Speaker 17: FC Cincinnati midfielder of Anders been named the MLS Team of the Match Day. Evander earns his twelve starting Team of the Match Day honors this season, the most individual honors in a season in club history, after scoring a goal and adding an assist in FC's three to nothing win over c F Montreal on Saturday. Bill Edison, seven hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 21: Next News at five thirty Matt Reees News Radio seven hundred wl W.
Speaker 8: This report is sponsored by Staples. Your local Staples has hot deals and super low prices throughout the store on everything for your business. And right now with Staples, what a life?
Speaker 2: This next our next guest leads, we of course are talking about our good friend, astronomer to the stars, our good friend Dean Reekus. I'm just thinking about you helicoptering down there or writing or having the best donkey of the herd is taking you down there. How does it work, Deane?
Speaker 4: That's pretty much got I just you know, anytime, I just make a few calls. Helicopter down, helicopter back up. No, it's a little less glamorous than that. But I am having a great time here at the Grand Canyon doing astronomy programs and doing a lot of hiking too.
Speaker 1: All right, and Dean, what in particular are you are you doing at the moment.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm getting ready for a program doing something tonight, doing a what's called star and constellation talk. We're going to go out kind of by the rim of the Grand Canyon. I'll point out some stars and constellations and spend some mythology and just answer a lot of astronomy questions. So I was the astronomer and residence here for a while, and they keep letting me come back. So it's been a great I've been out here for about ten days and it's a little interesting with the shutdown going on. Rangers are kind of not around, but the public is still here and everything's open and it's everybody's everybody's doing really well, everybody's behaving themselves. I have to stay here at the canyon.
Speaker 2: So where where are you based at the at the at this time? Are you down in the base of the canyon, down on the floor of the canyon, or are you where you usually are? I believe it's that there's some kind of lot or something at on the rim.
Speaker 4: I'm at the South Rim. That's the most popular section of the Grand Canyon, so that's the one's closest to like Phoenix and Las Vegas and that kind of thing, and so that's where the place for the classic views. And I get they give me a house to live in, so it's a pretty sweet digs here, and I can just walk over to the canyon and see it and it's a pretty nice setup. So earlier in the week I did go down into the canyon and walked all the way down the river. A lot of the trails are closed down there, and Phantom Branch, the community down there, is closed mostly because of the fire they had earlier in the year, so there's a lot of recovery going on here. But it was still just gorgeous to walk down all the way to the river, and and I pretty much had had it to myself since there are a lot fewer people down there now.
Speaker 20: Dean.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not into conspiracy theories, but I have heard there are certain sections of the Grand Canyon that's blocked off, and you know the reasons why. Of course maybe you've heard, but again I don't want to get into that. But but nonetheless, or I mean, what is I mean, are there giant telescopes down there you can look at stuff at or.
Speaker 4: What That's one of the coolest things is that whenever I've done programs down you know, in the inner Canyon, so they call that, the access to that is basically by a foot, by mule, or by helicopter. If you're like in deep trouble, that's the only way you can actually use helicopters if they have to rescue you. And luckily they haven't had to do that to me, So that's good. But yeah, they have telescopes down at these stations, so I just hike down and I can use the telescopes there. As far as like out of bounds off limits areas, the only ones that I know of are because of like dangerous cliff situations where people fall to their deaths very easily. I think there's some uranium around there also, and mostly just they close off places because if you hike there, you're not going to come out the other side. That's pretty much what it is.
Speaker 1: Well, the conspiracy theory is there's like pyramids, like Egyptian pyramid type structures that are down in some of these cannes. But again, I'm not that one of those guys.
Speaker 4: I quite a bit of the canyon. I haven't seen it myself, and you know, I'm not on a government employee. I'm not shut down, so I can I give you the real Scooper.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, well, you know what, one day, you should just take off and just run right through the park that you're not allowed to go and dean and uncover these things. See if there are in fact pyramids and Egyptian like structures down in the Grand Canyon that the government is hiding from us because they don't want us to know, Dean, but you can tell us they don't.
Speaker 4: They don't want us know. That's true. So I will find out my next trip next time. I next time I come, I make sure to set that up.
Speaker 2: So Dean Reguez is our guest. And Dean, let me ask you, as far as hiking down there goes, how long does that take? Because I went to the Grand Canyon probably it was the early nineties, and I started to hike down there, and I got about halfway down and then I figured.
Speaker 1: I was like, this sucks a minute.
Speaker 2: I haven't walked back up.
Speaker 4: Well, well, if you made it halfway down, you might as well just kept on. But yeah, it is very difficult, that's the thing. And it's you know, to get to the river. Probably the quickest would be you know, it'd take you all day basically just to get down there and then to get back up. That's the real tough part. So for me when I go, I usually takes me about five hours to go down, and then I stay down there a few nights to recover, and then about six to seven hours to hike back all the way to the top. So this trip. I broke it up into two sections. I hiked halfway down to a place called have a Suphi Gardens and stayed there a couple of nights, and then hike down to the river and back up to that spot. So none of my hikes were crazy long, but they were still pretty tough. And you know, with all the rangers kind of on furlough right now, it's you know, I'm kind of some of the unofficial eyes and ears on the trail, and I have to say, my greatest asset is convincing people not to go down. That's my greatest have to say, so many lives as I say, don't do it, are you crazy? You'll never make it, And so I've stayed countless lives.
Speaker 1: That's right. I wonder how many times a year that you know, EMS crew's got to like helicopter's somebody out of there because they just can't walk up anymore, or somebody got hurt or broken ankle. You know, I bet it's a mess.
Speaker 4: Every single time I've been down to the bottom, they've had to evacuate somebody, like literally every single time they So it happens so frequently, and it's mostly people that you know, they they see their friends doing on Facebook and they're like, oh, I.
Speaker 19: Can do that.
Speaker 4: If builded that, I can do that, and uh yeah, they get themselves in big trouble and so but it's it is very strange to see people's you know, that they walk down so far without really a plan and they yeah, they So I've seen a lot of the evacuations. I've had to help people actually when I'm down there, and then mostly convince them to to stop walking. That's mostly what I do.
Speaker 1: So, Deine, I was telling that earlier. I know this movie has been out forever, but I finally finished watching The Martian Okay with with Matt Damon in it, and you know, it took me a long time, just because I usually fall asleep watching stuff. But anyway, but I was thinking, as you know, the many times we've had you on talking about trips to Mars and how long it would take, I feel like the dates and the times they would have to do it, we're pretty accurate to what you would. You had said, how much of that movie, I don't know if you can eat. I guess it's hard to say is real or not because no one's actually formed a colony on Mars. But how much of that do you think is within the realm of possibility of what it would be like on that planet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very accurate. The the author of the book, Andy Weir, he researched this pretty well and he he gets it pretty accurate about the difficulties of going to Mars, living on Mars, and then getting back because yeah, you can't go just every day tomorrow is you have to have all the planets lined up and everything. So that's why you had to wait on the planet for so long and eat all his potatoes and everything, and so it's uh, that part was really accurate.
Speaker 25: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, there's some nitpicky stuff that I could get into, but I'd say overall, that's one of the more accurate of the books and movies I've seen when it comes to astronomy.
Speaker 2: So but the uh, but that's what I was wondering. As far as the storms and wars and stuff, they are really that brutal up there.
Speaker 4: Oh well, now you get to that part. That was the part I was going to say, it's not accurate. You know, there's a windstorm, the whole thing. I don't want to spoil it for anybody. But the whole wind storm that that gets him stuck there wouldn't have actually happened. But you know, that's beside the point. Once he's there and he's stuck, then it all worked out, all right.
Speaker 19: Why is that?
Speaker 1: Why Why wouldn't the windstorms happen like that.
Speaker 4: Well, the windstorms kick up, that's for sure, but they wouldn't have enough force to like knock over a spacecraft. They the winds are extremely strong, but not there's not enough atmosphere to push you around. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: That was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was kind of the premise of the end of it, or without you know, spoiler alert here of why he could. They had to take all that weight off of the ship so he could get out of there. And the guy said, hey, the atmosphere isn't that thick, but we need to decrease some weight.
Speaker 4: So to your point, well, this is why you can't watch astronomy movies. Me, I'll just ruin it for everybody.
Speaker 1: You're a real drive. I'm possible.
Speaker 4: Let's go back to my first answer. I said it was pretty good.
Speaker 2: It's one of those guys where he knows what the movie, you know, he knows the topic of the movie. He's an expert in it, and you'll be sitting there and you're thinking, Wow, that's really cool, and he's going, no, that's stupid, stupid.
Speaker 1: It would be like you like watching a Beatles documentary as you right now. That didn't happen. That didn't happen either.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 2: But I saw that Bob Dylan movie. I knew a little bit about Bob Dylan, and we're I'm saying there wasn't with dev and I go, well, that's stupid. That didn't happen.
Speaker 5: That's a movie.
Speaker 12: All right.
Speaker 2: Well, Dean, should we be watching for anything in the sky?
Speaker 5: What we have here, Well, we got a.
Speaker 4: Couple of things that are in the news. They've been talking about the comets that are in the sky. So we got a couple of comments that are up there. Ones in the evening, ones in the morning, right before sunrise. Both of them are not terribly bright and you know, great to look at. You need a telescope to see. I know there's been news reports and you could maybe see them naked eye. I say, no, way, that is not correct. So here I'm being the buzzkill again. So the comets that are in the news, you definitely need some telescopes to be able to see them, so I r I rate them is not super exciting. But the thing that is exciting is tonight, really late at night, you can start to see the orion Orion. It's meteor shower. This is the annual media shower happens every October, and this one should be a good one. You can see maybe a maybe two dozen shooting stars per hour if you stay up late enough. So that one. So that's the real scoop comments. I'd say, man, that's a good meteor shower. That's the highlight for tonight. I would say, all.
Speaker 2: Right with that, Dean Rigus, we will let you go. People want to find out more about you and what it is you do. Where can they go?
Speaker 4: Yep, I'm all about astronomy and the Grand Canyon right now. Astrodean dot com. That's my website. Just got Asterdean dot com follow up me and I have all my social media there too, and you can see the pictures I've taken from the Grand Canyon. It's an exciting place to be and really cool to see the night sky out here. But looking forward to being back in Cincinnati soon.
Speaker 1: So thanks guys being you're the best, buddy, Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: All right, keep looking up yep, see you buddy.
Speaker 9: What a gig?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, kid man, I'm just sitting here thinking that's saying. I'm like, what a life.
Speaker 5: That's cool.
Speaker 1: We should have paid more attention in you know, science class and astronomy class. We'd be hanging out with starlets Harlot's at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
Speaker 2: And I'll see, That's what I was going to say. I think that we would missed out on that work. Astronomy, astronomy, groopy chicks. I'm sure that they were the hottest girls in the in school.
Speaker 1: That's probably.
Speaker 2: But you know what, beggers can't be choosers or astronomers can't be piggy. I don't it's some' something like with the with that we chick in with traffic and weather, Rick, what is going.
Speaker 6: On from the U SEE Health Traffic Center. Mammogram same limesco five one three five eet four pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with do you See Health Expert Team five one three five feet four pink. We have seventy one the southbound past half accident on the left shoulder left lane blocked on seventy five northbounded Town and crews are on the scene getting that cleaned out. Now, we do have the sowdowns tool with the breakdown on seventy one northbound of Kenwood that's off on the right hand side. In Kentucky, it's seventy five north boy of Kyle's Lane where we've got the accident affecting both shoulders. To lay us back to Turfoint. This is up to about a half hour delay now through the area. I'm reading at Seymour a crash with injuries. Watch for police in ems and two seventy five stop and go westbound Kentucky Indiana State Line to Highway four ninety five my brick Shamp. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: The forecast from the seven hundred WLW Weather Center ford toned Portly cloudy, a slight chance of a shower. The low of fifty four tomorrow, partly cloudy and sixty six. It is sixty five now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 5: All right, mister Pinnay, I'm going to show you some images and you tell me what you see.
Speaker 24: That looks like Scott's Loan eating a meat loaf. And this one I see George Washington, Washington. Yeah, he's playing paper football with Scott's Loan. And this one I see a man and a woman making love very good, but she wants him to hurry ups so she can listen to Scott's Loans.
Speaker 5: Scott's Loan. You may become obsessed.
Speaker 21: Join me Scott's Loan tomorrow morning at nine o'clock on seven hundred WLWN.
Speaker 5: You are a disturbed man.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored by Staples.
Speaker 8: Your local Staples has hot deals and super low prices throughout this store on everything for your business, and right now at Staples, save up the one hundred and twenty five dollars haf Your print order exclusions applyfa is at Staples dot com. Slash print for details and November first plus save even more with the easy Rewards program at Staples.
Speaker 5: At Genesis Diamonds.
Speaker 2: We all right back with Eddie and Rocky a little while longer before we get out of here, though. Rock talking about this big Amazon Web the cloudloutage last.
Speaker 1: Night, Yes, and we talked to Dave had her a little bit about it earlier, but here with the latest on what was going on with this So a lot of folks were missing out on their Fortnite games, ed and buying stuff online. This panic pandemonium. Mike Dubuski from ABC News is here to tell us about it. Mike, what's the story.
Speaker 28: Yeah, so this major outage. We're still trying to wrap our heads around exactly the nature of this outage, but guys, it's undoubtedly a huge one.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 28: This knocked over not just the Fortnite video game, but also Delta Airlines to a degree, and the website for the Wall Street Journal, Snapchat and others. This impacted a huge swath of the Internet and it can all be traced back to Amazon Web Services. So Amazon, we often think of them as an e commerce retailer, while they also provide cloud computing to a variety of businesses around the world. Good way to think about cloud computing is a way for like a small business to outsource computing power. So let's say you or I want to start like a small cafe. Well, I want to focus on making pastries. I don't want to focus on cybersecurity updates for the server that I keep in my kitchen. So I'm going to outsource that to the guys who know what they're doing. Amazon is the major player in this market. They account for about a third of it. The next third is accounted for by Microsoft and Google. That means that a lot of power is centralized in just three companies, and that's a big part of this story as well. When one gets knocked over, it does knock over a huge swath of the Internet, but that's basically what these services do. It appears that Amazon had an issue with what is known as their DNS or their domain name service guys. For fear of being too technical, this is a translation technology that takes what you type into a web browser Facebook dot Comabiesnews dot com and translates it into something that a computer can understand, an IP address in other words, so that is specifically what went wrong here. They were able to resolve the issue relatively early on, after about two.
Speaker 9: Hours or so.
Speaker 28: However, throughout the day we kept seeing more and more problems emerge, and that really speaks to exactly how deeply connected the modern Internet is.
Speaker 2: So Mike is obviously, when you hear something like this, your first concern is hacking, but it appears that wasn't an issue right No.
Speaker 28: Amazon says that this was not a cyber attack. There's no bad actors involved here, and that is, you know, to be expected.
Speaker 20: Right.
Speaker 28: We've seen outages like this happen before. Amazon itself experienced outages in twenty twenty three and twenty twenty one. Of course, last year, we also remember the crowd Strike outage that was a cybersecurity firm that chipped a faulty bit of code that knocks millions of computers around the world offline. So this is unfortunate, It is frustrating for many, but it is pretty normal. It's not unusual by any stretch of the imagination. Again, it goes back to that idea that we've centralized a lot of this power in the cloud computing space into just the hands of a handful of companies, right, just a few of them, and when one of them experiences problems, that's going to have major ripple effects.
Speaker 1: Now, is this like an opportunity for other companies to host servers and do all that sort of thing, So you know, kind of I guess spread out the misery maybe a little bit.
Speaker 28: Yeah, diversify I think is probably the worst yes security from cybersecurity experts over the next few days. But yeah, this idea that instead of, you know, to go back to that cafe example that we were talking about. Instead of putting all your eggs into the AWS basket, maybe now is an opportunity to think about diversifying that a little bit, putting a couple eggs into Google's basket, maybe a couple eggs into a smaller third parties basket, just to guard against this, because again, you know, we talk a lot today, or we've spoken a lot today about what the individual can do. The unfortunate answer is not a ton. Outside of that, if you are a small business owner, it's you know, maybe just spread the wealth a little bit to make sure that if one goes down, you know, your whole business doesn't collapse.
Speaker 2: All right with that, Mike, we will let you go, buddy, Thanks so much, of course, guys, take care. I am Mike Debuski from ABC Rock and other related well cyber news. This happened in Indy, Indianapolis based bankruptcy. Your attorney, Mark S. Zuckerberg is suing Meta, the company that Mark E. Zuckerberg owns, because the because his this guy's an attorney, his Facebook page keeps getting shut down.
Speaker 1: You're like, your name is Mark Zuckerberg you suck.
Speaker 2: Right, it's not funny, says the lawyer. Metta has been accused him of impersonating a celebrity and using a false name, says says mister Zuckerberg, a name that I've had way longer than Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's right, I had it first. That's hilarious. It's funny if you're not him.
Speaker 2: Correct, I'm uh. I'd rather not make a fight with him, But I don't know how to make the stop. It's not right and they need to stop it, and so they have. The meta is now confirmed after a lot of going back and forth at Zuckerberger's account is back up after being disabled in error.
Speaker 1: Because you know, I'm how many tens of thousands of employees are there right in at Facebook, And I'm sure at some point it comes up like there's this joker think he's trying to do and boom bumping him off there. And then it gets fixed and someone else sees it and he take it off.
Speaker 2: Didn't he used to be Abe Lincoln? Uh and rock and uh and again. Well, the cyber news just keeps on coming. This happened in Aurora, Colorado. This guy's a credit card or credit card fraud suspect and his name Alec Bogus. Uh So, anyways, mister Bogus was kind of he was on the lamb from law enforcement when he was approaching at the Indian Hot Springs Resort in Idaho Springs, Colorado. According to a new source, Bogus, who had announced who had the outstanding felony warrant, was just exiting the mud bat there wearing only a speedo. When the cops showed up, he ran up a wood a wooded mountain side and tried to hide in a shed, but was recovered a short time later, still covered in mud. I would just you know, you you ever take one of those mudbaso we Deb and I did.
Speaker 1: That, one of those like uh kind of natury ones. Yeah, well I was.
Speaker 2: It wasn't real, you know, not all that new agey stuff. But Deb and I did it on in California one time or out there.
Speaker 1: Did you get rub the mud?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what you get a little you're in kind of like a sarcophagus.
Speaker 5: It's weird, man.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, sign me up hot hot mud in a sarcophagus with death right. She had her own.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, we had sidewiyside graves or something.
Speaker 1: This it feels like to be buried next to each other.
Speaker 2: I would I would not like to be on the run from the law though having.
Speaker 1: Exited that, yeah, it's kind of sticky.
Speaker 2: And yeah, at least he had a speed one.
Speaker 1: I was naked. We really get the full experience. That's my man, right, That's what I mean when short.
Speaker 2: Changing this mother Nature's son.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said I need more right here.
Speaker 2: I'll leave you with that thought in mind. Oh God, as we had the traffic and weather, what is going on?