Speaker 1: The quest for the three pete has begne.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 3: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Here we go again. We're geta running a.
Speaker 3: Back to get in on the show called eight six six not eighty seven two five seven day and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. And now your host, here's Tim kakes Well.
Speaker 2: Communication is a very important thing no matter what you're doing, what you're involved with. In relationships, you gotta be able to communicate.
Speaker 4: You gotta be able to talk it out.
Speaker 2: You gotta be on the same page, whether with your spouse or with a friend, or with the sibling, or with your picture. And tonight's in the second inning, we saw Dalton Rushing and Showy Otani appear not to be on the same page. Fortunately, the Dodgers able to overcome that and the Dodgers get a four to three win over the Minnesota TWINSI everybody, welcome to Dodger Talk here on an five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you being with us on this Wednesday night, as the Dodgers celebrate his sweep at Target Field in Minneapolis. They finish off the three games sweep with a four to three victory and game in which Mookie Betts clubbed his three hundredth career home run, joining a well elite group of thirty Major leaguers all time that have hit at least three hundred home runs, four hundred doubles, and a one hundred and fifty stolen basis. So congratulations to Mookie Betts. He gave the Dodgers the early one nine lead. The second inding is something we're gonna probably be talking a lot about tonight here on Dodger Talk. Eight sixty sixth ninet eighty seven two five seventy two of the first three batters showy Otani faces got on base with basits the third straight bashit made the base loaded, and then a pass ball scored Victor Krantini from third base. On a ball in which Dalton rushing appeared to be not on the same page with shoe Heotani, it skips off his glove, goes over into the Dodgers dugout. It brings him the tying run for the Minnesota Twins. Then Ryan Clyde Kreidler with a two run single made it a three run inning for the Minnesota Twins as shoe Heyotani had to throw twenty two pitches finally got out of it out with a strikeout.
Speaker 4: But during that inning, not only was there.
Speaker 2: The pass ball, a couple of challenges early in this game in which Dalton Rushing didn't want to be challenging the automated ball strike system the ABS. Sho Heo Tani clearly wanted to struggle to challenge the call ball and made the gesture to challenge it and was right even though Dalton Rushing was shaking him off.
Speaker 4: Don't challenge it. Don't challenge it.
Speaker 2: The two of them just didn't seem like they were on the same page together in that second inning, whether it was challenging pitches or calling pitches. And we heard from Dalton Rushing and shoey Otani in the Club Hour show and both said, you know, they figured out the communication. They were able to move past it. Dalton Rushing was pretty distraught after the game. We might bring that back here in just a little bit. He was very distraught, said it was embarrassing the way he's playing right now behind the plate and at the plate. He was over four tonite with three strikeouts. But I think he's a little hard on himself for calling it embarrassing. Okay, you know what, you get the challenges right, you get the challenges wrong. You know, we were learning now in this first real you know, go around of the abs, when you're supposed to challenge, when you're not supposed to challenge.
Speaker 4: Is it good to challenge early in the game, the first inning, the second inning.
Speaker 2: Is it better to save these challenges for the middle of the second half of the game. Is it better that the catcher just challenges it and the pitch sure has nothing to do with it because they think everything they throws a strike. We're figuring out what the percentages are saying. And I think when this season's over, we're gonna have all the stats and we're gonna dive all you know, we baseball people and teams certainly with the analytics, will dive into it and we're gonna get percentages and by next season we're gonna see all of the different strategies really implemented across Major League Baseball. Is to win not to challenge winning a game, to challenge when not in the game, to challenge winning counts, to challenge whining at bats scenarios. All that's gonna be dissecting, like everything is in the world of baseball now with the analytics and the numbers. But for tonight it was interesting to see with the you know, the abs and show Hey clearly frustrated with a non strike call, and Dalton Rush and shaking has said don't challenge it, and show Hey adamantly patting the top of his head that he wanted to challenge, and he was right. The two of them not on the same page there. And if you're Dalton Rushing, you could very nicely say hey in between innings, in between a bats, like, hey, I don't think that was right as far as you know, challenging it. I didn't think it was a strike. I didn't think it was a ball, whatever the situation is. But visibly shaking your head and telling your picture no to me, you don't do that. And I don't care if it's show Hey Otani or if it's Kyle Hurt out on the mount, you're showing up your picture. I think at that point, by by doing that, and you know you could say something at another time, maybe you want to yell out something underneath your mask out to your picture, but to visibly shaking your head back and forth, like no, don't, don't, don't do it. I mean, unless you are one hundred percent convinced and it is like the end of the game and the final call and the game, you know is writing on this one call, you don't need to do that. And especially if it's show hey Otani out there, who doesn't challenge pitches, for all of a sudden him to want to start tapping his hat because he's not happy at the calls. I got to figure that he knows what he's doing, and it's not just him thinking, well, I'm a pitcher. Everything that throws a strike, I think he's got a pretty good idea of the strike zone. And we've seen him turn his head. I mean, I go back a couple of starts to Dodger Stadium. There was a called pitch that was a ball and he thought it was a strike, and I remember they zoomed in on him on Sports in LA.
Speaker 4: He kind of cocked his.
Speaker 2: Head to the side like huh, really, I was okay, it wasn't a strike. He could have challenged it, but he didn't.
Speaker 4: Tonight.
Speaker 2: I think you saw him obviously frustrated that he wasn't getting the called strikes and they were clearly strikes because he was right about that and challenging him. But also it is interesting that you could be on a different page now with the whole you know, calling pitches and it's verbalized the PitchCom How is it that we're out on the same page. I mean, show Hay and Dalton said that there was two pitches called. Dalton thought it was an off speed pitch a curveball, and show Hey thought it was a fastball. Well, if there's any miscommunication, you got to call time. But clearly one thought it was one pitch, one thought it was the other. I'm not sure how that happens when you're literally punching in a code and it's gonna audibilize what the pitch is, and not only did the catcher and the pitcher hear it, but any other infielders that have the pitch com in their hats are gonna hear it as well. I mean, let's be honest, how many times are we seeing pitchers and catchers now we have PitchCom not on the same page.
Speaker 4: It's not happened very often.
Speaker 2: In fact, I can't think of another time that it's happened that bad that we saw tonight in the second inning. That all being said that second inning, the miscommunication, the frustration from show Hey Otani.
Speaker 4: Clearly what happened.
Speaker 2: In the third inning, the Dodgers and show Hey put up a three spot o Tani let it off with an RBI single the scoring They score three runs.
Speaker 4: He comes back in the bottom of the.
Speaker 2: Third, strikeout, strikeout, strikeout, and as David Vassi tweeted out on social media, shoey Otani was then calling his own pitches that PitchCom device on his left bicep.
Speaker 4: He was in charge again. And we've seen.
Speaker 2: Show Hey being the one calling pitches when he's out there pitching. Tonight, it looked like Dalton Rushing was the one calling pitches until that second inning. The miscommunication, the frustration, and show Hey, you know, took the bull by the horn, so to speak, and took control of what he wanted to pitch. And we heard from him in the postgame show in the clubhouse and he talked about it. There's a game plan going in on how they're going to go after hitters. Okay, that is mapped out. That's the game plan that they go over with Mark Pryor and Conor McGuinness, the catchers and pitchers all get together. That is the game plan how they're going to attack the hitters. And show Hayes said they needed to and he was adjusting to the hitters, and you know clearly he was frustrated that Dalton Rushing wasn't adjusting with him. They were on the same page. They weren't in sync as far as what they wanted to do. You can talk about it between Indians, but outside of show ay calling time bringing Dalton out there and saying, Okay, we're gonna switch it up, We're gonna do this, in the moment, they just weren't on the same page. The miscommunication, the adjustments that show he wanted to make wasn't in sync again with Dalton Rushing, and that's why you had a pass ball. That's why you saw the frustration from shoe Hey Otani. But he took control of the situation. And again let's hear from Dalton Rushing briefly calling if we can postgame very frustrated. He used the word embarrassing a couple of different times, but listen to his tone. I don't think it's just him being upset with his production or lacked of at the plate and what happened in the second inning. I think he truly is kind of embarrassed as a young catcher to have this miscommunication with this pitcher.
Speaker 5: Felton, I know, was you frustrating the second inning when you look at how.
Speaker 6: Just you as well, showing you were able to reset and get back on time.
Speaker 5: How would you just describe handling that for yourself personally?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I thought he did a good job. I didn't do a great job. Uh start to finish, Uh it was it pretty embarrassing. Thankfully he's as good as he is, and uh he could take control of the game. Uh yeah, it's pretty embarrassing.
Speaker 5: You have so much support though, I mean, to have the conversations whatever I saw Freddy come up to you, Dave Roberts, I mean, I know that, as you said, say, may have felt embarrassing, But to their support in that conversation, what is that just mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 7: I mean they always have my back.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: Once again, it's embarrassing that I need support like that. I'm a ground man, and uh yeah, it's a pretty tough total swallow both sides of the ball. It was, uh not a great showing and hasn't been great as of late. And I'm gonna be all right.
Speaker 2: There's Dalton Rushing and as he said, pretty embarrassing. Thankfully he took control of the game. He being show Hey Otani. So I feel for Dalton Rushing. You know that that's in a situation that doesn't make you look good. Certainly when you've got the unicorn out in the mound, one of the best players ever to play the game, and he's showing his frustration, and a lot of that frustration is with you, the Dodger catcher.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Certainly, when they got back on the same page moving forward in the third inning and on, it was much better. But obviously the dynamic change with showy Otani now calling the pitches and that kind of got took out of the hands of Dalton Rushing. So I can see where he's frustrated and embarrassed about his performance tonight and the way he's not been performing at the plate certainly kind of piles on. But uh, I feel bad for him. I feel like he's really piling on himself. It's bad enough when when people want to get on him, but tonight it's just not a great night for Dalton Rushing.
Speaker 4: But you feel for him.
Speaker 2: He turns the page day off tomorrow and enjoyed the sun and San Diego and then get ready for a big three game weekend against the Pacas. Let's face it, they need Dalton Rushing to be a rock behind the plate. You know, CHUCKI Robbins is the backup catcher right now, but Dalton Rushing this is his time with Will Smith out, and David Vassi told us in the Clubhouse show, doesn't seem like there's a real timetable for Will Smith to return. With that being said, Dalton Rushing's got a long runway here and he has for a few weeks to be the everyday catcher. He's certainly not happy with his offensive results, but I kind of feel up until tonight, he's done a really good job with this rotation. I mean, you can kind of nitpick, all right, some challenges here or there, but I thought he's done a pretty good job with the challenges on the abs. I feel like he's won a lot more than he's lost on these challenges, and he's doing them at the right time. Certainly, he's an emotional player, and I think the emotions get to him a little bit. And we certainly are not used to seeing the emotions on baseball players, right. They always say, don't let your emotions be shown, you know, don't show them. Don't whatever you do, go in the clubhouts, go underneath in the tunnel, and let your emotions out there, but do not let anybody see your emotions out on the field. But we're certainly seeing a lot of the emotions of a Dulton rushing recently. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the number. All right, Ish and Riverside start things off here on Dodge Talk after a four to three Dodgers win over the Twins.
Speaker 4: How you doing Ish?
Speaker 8: Pretty good man? That's some talk to he does. Sorry have been super busy, but hey man, really really good game, big picture obviously first place. We are also just swept the Twins, so I mean, super super awesome. I know you've been tracking on rushing. Dbie's been tracking on rushing through the farm report all the way back when so you. You you wore the tools case, you know, so we trust you guys, you know as far as like, you know, backing up rushing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: For me, I kind of look at it, you know, with the concussion and stuff like that happened just a couple of games ago. To me, kind of familiar with some of these things, Like, it looks like he's still dealing with some of that stuff. The part of the brain that basically got hit is really really responsible for a lot of that strategic you know, the planning and the executive functions they call it. So I think that he's still kind of lingering for that. So I guess my concern was, like, well, why did they put him in to day? You know, we what twelve to two yesterday against the Twins with Chucky in there. Why couldn't Chucky gone back in there? But I would say for him, don't beat yourself up again. It's to me, it looks like he's still kind of dealing with some of that, you know, post concussion kind of symptoms. But you know, he's been great. You know, let's not forget that last year in the playoffs. You know, he and werd D got us pretty much to the World Series, right because Will Smith was out, and then even this last week, you know, he goes in with y'all know, a big game planet and they take a perfect game what was it into Thea's then turn into a no hitter. So again I think he should just cut himself a little bit snack, but also taking responsibility for some of those actions on the field. But also I really think that they should take another look man, to see if he's kind of struggled with some of these postconcussion systems. Anyway, that's all I got, Man, Thanks for having me on. Talk to you guys soon, all right.
Speaker 4: I just appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You know what, concussions are nothing to overlook anymore, and we know about the damages and concussions from football and CTE and being a catcher you get absolutely banged up back there. And we saw Will Smith deal with this was it last year?
Speaker 4: Two years ago?
Speaker 2: Got hit a couple of times in the head with foul balls off the mask and the helmet and went on the concussion lists and hey, as a catcher you get absolutely throttled with foul balls and balls that hit you in different spots that you think are protected, but they're not, and all of a sudden, a ball hitching the mask and you get your cage rattles, so to speak, and you think you're okay, but it lingers feel a little foggy. If he wasn't good to go, Let's be completely honest. If Dalton Rushing was not good to get behind the plate, there's no way they're putting him back there.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: He can't say all the right things because he's a guy who wants to be out there playing and this is his opportunity, and he's a big leaguer and all these guys will tell the trainers and whatnot.
Speaker 4: I want to be out there.
Speaker 2: But listen, they have their player's best interest all the time. And to think that they're just gonna throw him back out there if they feel like there's any lingering issues from him taking a foul ball off the face mask, you're crazy. There's no way they would let him back out there. They would never let him go out there, even if he said he was fine. But they saw something, or they saw some signals, or they saw something that didn't look right. But I have to believe that he's okay, And that's not what happened. The second editting than getting crossed up.
Speaker 4: I mean shoe.
Speaker 2: Otani said he heard two different pitches. He thought it was one, Dalton Rushing thought it was the other. That was the misqueue on the pass ball playing and simple. Now the challenges again, Dalton Rushing as a catcher is usually the one challenge in the pitches. How many pitchers in baseball are we seen challenging the abs? Not a lot, so only with the Dodgers. How many times have we seen a Dodger pitcher tap the top of their head?
Speaker 4: I mean a few.
Speaker 2: If that, I mean I can count of, maybe on my hand, how many times the pitcher has challenged a called strike or a ball called by the umpire. It's mostly up to the catcher, and we're seeing the batters do it obviously, but the catcher is the one doing it, and so just for him to shake off show Hey Otani again, I don't think it's anything to do with the concussion like symptoms that he may had a couple of days ago and they took him out for precautionary reasons. Again, I just don't believe that. I think it's just the communication issue in the second inning, because moving forward, they were great I mean you strike up.
Speaker 4: The side and the third.
Speaker 2: He retired seven straight batters at one point, uh he had a one two three sixth inning. Albeit twenty pitches, they were long pitch counts, but he struck out the first two batters and then he got a ground ball, great play by the way for Mookie Betts to end one of the innings in the fourth and then the sixth, so the pitch count got up. That's why we didn't see him go back out through the seventh. But again, that second inning was a blip. It was a hiccup between show Hay and Dalton Rushing, and once they got back on that same page, you saw what show Hay was able to do on the mound eight six, sixth, nine eighty seven to two, five seventy. My man Blake and Colorado checks in on this Wednesday night.
Speaker 4: What's going on, Blake?
Speaker 1: How you doing.
Speaker 9: Really really good?
Speaker 8: How you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fantastic. The Dodgers get the win tonight. Show Hey o'tani was like a superman out there doing it all, driving in runs to give the Dodgers part of that three run third inning, and then of course the sixth innings, pitch by show hey. I mean he looked he looked like angry, show hey, like a man on a mission. After that second Inny, he he let that frustration show as he went out there and just absolutely dominated Blake and put up Zero's the rest of the way.
Speaker 4: That was pretty impressive.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I feel bad about that.
Speaker 2: Crazy it was, but it was good to see them get back on the same page, Blake and they were both communicating better the rest of the way. And I think a lot of the frustration from Dalton Rushing is you know, he probably understands that was his mistake, and he as a catcher doesn't want to be the one to be out there and everybody's looking at him in the picture and you know, him and his picture are on the same page, and it's show a Otani of all pictures out there that he's not communicating with great and then what he's not doing at the plate producing it's just it's it's kind of it's a heavy weight on him right now.
Speaker 4: I believe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why the game by Mooviie I think, I like, I think this will get.
Speaker 10: Him back on track. I can go if Tago cannot go. What do you do if if if the Dodgers. What will you do with the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with with Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's an interesting one if he's good to go in healthy, which I believe he will be in San Diego over the weekend.
Speaker 4: Blake, I appreciate the phone call.
Speaker 2: I'm out with you for a few more days, but uh, we'll check in with you on next week after the Sacramento games.
Speaker 4: Okay, talk you again. All right, sounds good.
Speaker 2: That's my guy, Blake and Colorado checking in here on Dodger Talk. Kyle Tucker not in the line up again today. David Vesse told us on the pregame show that we did see Kyle Tucker grab a bat from the bat rack and go back underneath. So sounds like he was doing some hitting down off a tee or in the cage or something he was doing underneath in the Dodger area. So that is certainly a good sign. It's sounds like he'll be ready to go when they go to San Diego. I don't know if it's Friday night, maybe it's Saturday when Walker buelers on the mound. We'll find out, but I gotta believe he'll be back this weekend. Against the Padres. A couple of days off to rest, built in day off tomorrow for travel, and they just kind of lounge around in San Diego, not think about baseball. Go hang out in Coronado, Go do some East some fish, tacos down in San Diego, enjoy that and then get ready for this three game series against the San Diego Padres.
Speaker 4: Who were nine games back in the division. They won again.
Speaker 2: The Arizona Diamonbacks won, so the Dodgers remain nine games up on San Diego and the NL West ten and a half games up on Arizona. The Padres getting a little steam going, a little momentum. They've won three in a row, six of their last ten. So the Dodgers and Padres will square off in which is always a thrilling series when these two teams get together, and they'll be doing it for three games this weekend at Petco Park. We'll take a quick break, we'll come back, get to your phone calls, and we'll hear for the manager, Dave Roberts, all that gonna squeeze in here before the top of the hour.
Speaker 4: As a Dodgers see Mookie Beds hit his.
Speaker 2: Three hundredth career home run, and then the Dodgers come back with three and the third to beat the Minnesota Twins. They sweep Minnesota in this three game set, a four to three victory tonight on a target field right here on ANTI seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Be anywhere at any time and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk those things. Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: We're streaming online.
Speaker 1: We stream every game too. Come find them.
Speaker 3: Back to Dodger Talk on AM five seventy LA Sports three.
Speaker 1: Two bits to Bets. He swings and hammers won left center and teth this ball heading back to the wall. It has gone a home run. Wookie Bits home run number nine and Dodgers strike first.
Speaker 2: This one nothing, Bookie Bits with This ninth home run of this season is three hundredth of his career. He's the one hundred and sixty ninth player all time to reach three hundred home runs, and he's one of thirty Major leaguers all time with at least three hundred home runs, four hundred doubles, and one hundred and fifty stolen basis. Daniels Jeliers presents the home Run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jelers gift card. All you got to do is visit am FI seventy la sports dot Com, keyword home run into your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the dream. The Dodgers come back and get the win in Minnesota to ninth three runs in the third show. Aotani did the work the rest of the way, put it up zeros in the third, fourth, fifth, and sixth inning. Kyle Hurt pitched the score a seventh. Alex Vesia pitched the eighth and put up a zero than Tanner Scott at one two three ninth inning to get the save show Aotani now eight and two. Tanner Scott his eleventh save of the season as the Dodger improved to a major league best fifty two and twenty nine on the season. Ken in Newport Beach, Welcome Ken. How are you doing, my friend?
Speaker 8: All?
Speaker 9: I'm doing good today.
Speaker 11: This was a good game. By the way, if anybody knows catching it you I kind of think what happened to Otani is he got angry on that one misplay where tension was lost because the last three innings he was throwing harder, he was showing one hundred hundred and one and I just a look on his face was completely different. He was mulling down. So maybe that turned out to be a good thing. My real question, though.
Speaker 8: Is.
Speaker 9: Pages he's knownything one eighty two in his last fifteen games. Before the game, the two guys picked him as their hero. He's really really looking bad and he's got seventeen strikeouts in those fifteen games. Do you still feel that he deserves to be an All Star?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I can't think of anybody better right now.
Speaker 4: Overall, I know he has struggled.
Speaker 2: As you mentioned in the last couple of weeks, did Homer in the final game on Sunday and the blowout loss to the Baltimore Oriols.
Speaker 4: I get it. The strikeouts are starting to mount up.
Speaker 2: He's just in one of those downturns, and I'm convinced Ken that he'll get back into that upturn. He was never gonna hit for sixty five like he did blistering to start off the season, But I don't think he's going to be like this the rest of the year. I think he'll get back up into a cruising altitude very nicely the rest of the way.
Speaker 9: He was hitting three seventy. Is the guy that's been injured and he's back. Shouldn't he be playing batting second and maybe give out of a little rest and put him at the fifth or sixth spot because he's crushing the ball since he came back.
Speaker 2: He has, and he came in he didn't get it. Ran War got the starts, and I appreciate it. Can great the check in with you. Maybe Andy pie has drops out of the two spot, maybe Tommy Emmon goes up into the two spot. But then you got back to back to back lefties, you know, Tani. I mean Edmond can flip around. I guess as a right he as a switch hitter. But the idea is to have left, right, left, right left in your lineup the first five batters that can maybe be tweaked a little bit. I mean, we saw Mookie Betts bat different spots in the lineup to try to change things around, and all people wanted to do here was say, Mookie Bets is old, Mookie Betts looks past his prime. The short opposition is too much for Mookie. He can't he can't continue to be successful at the plate. Well, Mookie has found his rhythm.
Speaker 4: He has found his.
Speaker 2: Cruising altitude here in the month of June and three for four tonight, a triple away from a cycle, three hundredth home run in his career, and has found a nice little spot batting.
Speaker 4: What is he batting now? Fifth in the lineup?
Speaker 2: Fourth's betting cleanup now, But we saw him dip around in the lineup a little bit. There was a caller a few weeks ago that wanted Mookie Betts batting ninth in this Dave Roberts lineup. So things are fluid, Things are changed all the time. And I think right now you're just seeing Andy poe Has and one of those little things that he's going through offensively. But I'm pretty confident Andy poe Has should still be an All Star. Andeddy and Pacoima right here in the eight eight How you doing, Eddie? Welcome to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: What's up, Timmy?
Speaker 12: I wanted to state a couple of facts, and you stop me when you feel that it's necessary.
Speaker 1: Number one, I.
Speaker 12: Wanted to piggyback on Blake Kyle Tucker. I just want to tell Blake Kyle Tucker is gonna be fined if Kyle Tucker gets hot in October.
Speaker 8: I think all Dodger fans are going to forget what happened during the season.
Speaker 1: Number two, How how.
Speaker 8: Did the Dalton rushing twenty three twenty four?
Speaker 4: Maybe Dalton rushing Dalton Rushing is twenty.
Speaker 12: Five twenty five. Okay, So I think that sho he Otani has forgot more baseball than Dalton Rushing knows to this date. So if sho he wants to shake him off, wants to challenge the pitch, I think Dalton should.
Speaker 9: You know, just go with it.
Speaker 12: I don't know what you think about that, but I mean, I think has earned the right to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I understand what you're saying, Eddie.
Speaker 2: I think at a point where if show Hay is showing that he wants to challenge a pitch, which is kind of outside the norm, right, We're now not only do we not see pitchers challenging balls and strikes, but when was the last time you saw show hey o Tani tapped the top of his helmet pitching in a game. I know we saw him challenge a pitch already tonight and he kind of I don't know. I think he did a strategically just to get an extra breather when he was up there, because he was hitting and pitching tonight, but shotani the pitcher. How many times have we seen him challenge a pitch. I'm struggling to remember until tonight when he challenged the pitch. I mean, maybe it has happened, but I just can't think of it. And for him to visibly just pound the top of his hat in frustration, I think it's because he wanted to pitch challenge and was tired of seeing maybe some borderline pitches not be challenged now. Dalton Rushing may have had the edict being told to him, don't challenge pitches this early in the game. It was the second inning, a couple of base hits, you know, you're on the ropes a little bit. Show he needs some strikes, and Dalton Rushing maybe is also thinking I got two challenges. I can't use him here in the second inning on a pitch you know, I don't think it's a strike, but show hey did, and he wanted the challenge. The way I look at it is how did this, how did this happen? How do you fix it? And how did these guys come out afterwards? Okay, well there was miscommunication, there was some frustration, all right, So what happens in the moment? Back on the same page, Show Hey calls pitches. All right, there's the solution. Now it's embarrassing for Dalton rushing, Okay, but they have Freddy Freeman, Mark Pryor, you have Dave roberts All consoling Dalton rushing, calming him down, getting him dial back in and focus, realizing there are seven more innings to play in a baseball game. It was the second inning, and then you get show Hey Otani. As one of our callers alluded to, there was a little bit of an uptick in those fastballs he hit one hundred and one four different times. He had he had a little he had a little gidea up as they say, little guinea up in that fastball.
Speaker 4: After that. Now, is he pitching with aggression?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Is he pitching with conviction? Probably? Is he out there a little bit of frustration?
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe all of it, maybe all of it, But it's how he went about it. Moving forward in this game, tonight and they were both on the same page. He took control of calling the pitches, and the Dodger scored three form in the bottom or the top of the third, and they come back and get the win. All right, we move on. You got to move on. This is game eighty one, folks, in case you didn't know. Literally today was game eighty one of one hundred and sixty two.
Speaker 4: Sound the alarm hit the whistle. But we're at the halfway point.
Speaker 2: If this were the World Cup, we'd be at the half we'd be watching Rob Stone and Alexi Lallis and the crew break down the first half of the game. We're at the halfway point of the season. It's a lot of baseball to be played. He thought, this has been a long season. Dodgers have half a season to go. Can't sit here and pout. Can't sit here and be worried about hurt feelings. You gotta get on the flight tonight, have it off day tomorrow, and this Dodger team, all of them, Dalton Rushing included, gotta get back out there and get ready to play baseball on Friday night because there's a lot of games right right in front of their face. Moving forward, there's a lot of baseball still to be played. Dodters Baseball brought to by Midello Madelo, The Mark of Fire. Let's here for the manager, Dave Roberts. After everything that happened in the second inning, the way they bounce back, scored the three runs of the third, Hey, and they got the victory.
Speaker 4: Four to three years the manager.
Speaker 6: Dave, we were just talking with Dalton knits clear that he's very frustrated with how tonight has gone. And even I mean he kind of alluded to maybe the last few games have gone for him. When you have a young player, what is it like just helping him kind of manage these emotions and get through this time and get through a game like today.
Speaker 13: It's a work in progress. I mean, he's such a you know, he wants to do really well and expects a lot of himself, and so you know, when he's not doing what he expects that he gets frustrated. And I think the good thing is that he still understands his priority is to you know, serve the pitchers and be behind the plate. But yeah, you know, the last few games he's he's had a tough goal event and swinging through some fastballs, which is the strength of his and so yeah, I mean it's still tough to hit, and he's still having a really nice year for us and helping us win a lot of ball games.
Speaker 6: Did you see just kind of that second inning play out, and then he and show Hay, the two of them get back on track and kind of handle the rest of their adding.
Speaker 13: Yeah, they were just kind of out of sync early. You could tell. I think both guys were frustrated and trying to get on the same page. I thought Mark made a good visit and trying to settle some things down, get him on the same page. And then after that it went really well. So yeah, that third inning was kind of a tough one, but fortunately the offense came back and got us the lead and didn't relinquish it. But yeah, I think just trying to keep those guys in sync, which at times has been a little bit of a challenge.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's a manager, Dave Roberts keeping those guys in sync, talking about show hand Dalton Rushing. They got back in sync after that second inning, and that's what it's all about. Leadership, leadership, leadership.
Speaker 4: There's no way.
Speaker 2: This thing doesn't doesn't move, doesn't work the way it has the last decade without the leadership of Dave Roberts his coaching staff. He mentioned Mark Pryor going out there to the mound, get these guys on the same page, maybe calm some guys down a little bit on the mound as well. And then in between innings, Mark Pryor to Dave Roberts, Freddie Freeman. Those are the three that I saw sitting here at the Burbank studios. Obviously it could have been more, but watching the feed from Sports in La, those are the three people I saw sitting right next to Dalton rushing Dave Roberts, his left arm around him, talking to him, explaining to him what was happening in the process and explaining to him, I'm sure, telling him, hey, we need you. Whatever just happened, you got to put that in your rear view that you got to move forward, You gotta forget about you gotta be a goldfish.
Speaker 4: You gotta move on. That's the most important thing.
Speaker 2: And I thought show, hey, O Tani did a great job in doing that and taking control really in saying I call the pitches the rest of the way, And what did he do in the third inning, strikeout, strikeout, strikeout, thirteen pitches. He retired to a seven in a row at one point and put up zero's most importantly from the third inning on. So a good job by the Dodgers. I think this is a blip on the radar. It's gonna get you know, it's gonna get blown up. You know, our boy, John Boy is gonna probably read the lips of the parties involved, because when it went on the mound, you can see show Hey talking saying something I think Mark pryor you can see Dalton rushing I think talked into his glover or his mask was on.
Speaker 4: I don't remember off the top of my head, but I'm.
Speaker 2: Sure this is gonna be dissected word for word what was said. But you know what, it happens. It happens in every game. Get a little frustration. See it in basketball all the time with a guy not playing defense.
Speaker 4: Hey gotta be better than that.
Speaker 2: Let's go and they get back out there and they're back the next time down the court. Happens in football, blown cover something like that. You have to move on. Guys make mistakes. Things happen. You're not on the same page blown coverage. Whatever things happen, it's how do you regroup? How do you not let that happen again? And the Dodgers did that tonight moving forward after that second evening.
Speaker 4: All right, is he real quick? Wrap things up here on Dodgers Talk?
Speaker 8: Hi?
Speaker 3: Is he?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 10: Kim Jamet and I yeah, I'm looking to be okay. So it was a Jamet and I hopekay sweetish stupid pub day on Saturday on the weekend and have Pun on Friday at which I could be day on Friday, so but anyway, but yeah, they'll be okay listening, be okay. So anyway, we'll have a nice have pun on Friday.
Speaker 2: All right, appreciate it, thanks Izzy. Yeah, she's mentioned in the Smoke Queen. I'll be at the Smoke Queen Barbecue on Friday doing Dodgers on Deck at five thirty from five thirty to six thirty. Come on out, hang out with me. We're giving away Dodger tickets. It's gonna be a fun time at the Smoke Queen Barbecue and Garden Grove one two nine four one ninth Street and Garden Grove. Plenty of parking at the Smoke Grove there in Garden at the Smoke Queen and Garden Grove, you cannot miss it. On Friday, we had the chef and owner Whennie Yee was in studio, no relation to Colin Yee. She brought in some of her great barbecue and different sides, the pork belly, the sea yolk. They brought in the Cantonese style pork belly. Fantastic, Absolutely fantastic. I love barbecue. Smoke Queen was great today and we're gonna be able to share it with you and hang out as fans of the Dodgers together a little watch party once the game starts with the Dodgers and Padres on Friday night. But again I'll be out there with Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck from five thirty to six thirty. Come on out, hang out with us, enjoy some barbecue and some baseball on a Friday evening. All right, that's gonna do it for Dodger Talk on this Wednesday Mini Thanks to Colin Yee, Thanks to all you Dodger fans for being a part of the show. Really do appreciate thanks to all of you, the podcast, the show, whether you're listening tonight. Whether you're on your way to work tomorrow or you're at the gym on Thursday, we appreciate it. Thanks for making us a part of your day, of your routine. We certainly appreciate you have a lot of options out there. Thanks for making Dodger talk your priority.
Speaker 4: Again. We're off tomorrow.
Speaker 2: We'll have World Cup soccer USA and Turkey or Turkey A turkey a is that they calling them?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we got the US playing on Thursday night at seven o'clock right here on five seventy, and then back at it again live from Smoke Queen Barbecue when Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck at five thirty, first pitch, six forty five Dodgers and the padres from Petgill Park on Friday night. Until then, Thanks for being with us. Be safe, So long everybody playing