Speaker 1: Love.
Speaker 2: This is Bengals pep Rally presented by Just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 3: Paycore.
Speaker 2: Paycore is proud to be the official hr software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering Health, Best Care for the Best Fans, Kettering Health, Official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen to thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 4: Good afternoon, and welcome to the Bengals pep Rally Show, presented by Just Bear Chicken, Live on ESPN fifteen thirty on the Bengals Radio Network. Waynebox Miller, Dave Lap. I'm glad to have your bored as we get ready for another big game against the New England Patriots and a lot to talk about today. We're going to have a guest from the Boston Globe that covers the New England Patriots, Nicole Yang. We'll hear from Zach Taylor just a second, yeah, Joe Flacco a little later, and we've got your fantastic fun facts and all that. But Lap, a big weekend is sports in this town. We've got uh Saint X and Elder playing down at pay Corps and our Dan horr Is calling the U C u of L basketball game a rivalry I wish would come back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm telling you, man, Rivalries are are special. You know, It's that's what h That's what gets the blood flowing, no doubt about it. And rivalries like the Bengals, uh, in the in the National Football League that they thrive on rivalries and every division A FC North with the Bengals and the Steelers, the Bengals and the Ravens, the Bengals and the Browns, those games all are significant fan base response in both both cities. You know, there's a lot of pride involved. If you sweep a division rival, that's a big deal. Big and uh, you have to wait next till next year to make restitution for it, you know, if you're if you're the one that got swept. So yeah, good, good action, good stuff. At every level, high school football, the playoffs, Elder X, that's that's tradition right there. I mean there's two schools that have been around a while, and two schools and know how.
Speaker 4: To do it and do it well. Man, Well I got my Saint X I on. I'm unapologetically sat X was good to me and hopefully I was good to say X. I think it's great. I just think it's great for the kids to be on an NFL field. It's a county stadium in part. Uh so you know, we all contributed to that and just the joy. I'm sure some of these kids didn't sleep last night thinking about I'm going to be in that end zone where Jamar Chase called the ball or T Higgins went up or you know something like that. That's big.
Speaker 5: I got to play at Fenway Park all night in state playoffs, and it's like, not only that's that's what the Boston Patriots in Boston Red Sox sheared Fenway Park, and when they reconfigured the stadium, you.
Speaker 4: Couldn't move the Green Monster.
Speaker 5: I mean, the Green Monster was there. The Green Wall was hanging there. So uh, you know, when the Patriots played, you knew where you were, you knew, you knew who you were in Boston. But to play I remember I was never so excited in my life as it was before that football game. Yes, just because, oh man, think of all the great Tim Williams played here, Tony played here, you know for the Red Sox, and then uh, you know, Babe Perilli Jim Nance. I mean, great play, Larry Garron, another running back, great players for the then Boston Patriots played there, and it's like it means something, it means a lot, and you're right, it's it's like, I wonder, I know what side of the field the Boston Patriots were, what side of the field they had for home games, and if you were on that side of the field for the playoff game you were if you were a home team, Wow, you're in high cotton, man. You thought you thought you were something special.
Speaker 4: It is indeed special when we wish both teams the best to really good coaches and it's fun for the city again. U of l uc basketball, Dan Horde is doing the Playboy play with that and that's been a rival. He goes back to the Missouri Valley Conference and things of that nature impact Kelsey from Cincinnati, Kelsey cheval At is Dad and the whole ninth. So it's just great sports weekend here in Cincinnati, you know. Lap. One of the things I wanted to talk about real quick, people make a note the Buffalo Bills game has been changed from four to twenty five to one o'clock. So for those who've kind of planned out your football season. That game has been moved to one o'clock and they're moving another game instead up four to twenty five slid. As a matter of fact, the Steelers and Ravens are at one, the Bills and Bengals are at that, but they move the Bears Packers game to four to twenty five. So again the movement and the chess pieces of rotating around man because you know, it's about ratings and revenue, but it's also about great matchups. So it's good to see of them do that. But we were talking at the beginning of the year, all of us collectively, there was a four game stretch that this team was going to have to deal with. And it starts Sunday. The Patriots, the Ravens, the Bills and the Ravens. Those are four games, big grown men games.
Speaker 5: Absolutely no question about it. I mean, that's you look at that. I mean, Buffalo Baltimore, Jets, Miami Dolphins. That's the Patriots twenty twenty five schedule for them as they go down the stretch. So this game against the Cincinnati Bengals is big Cincinnati, then the Giants and they have.
Speaker 4: A bye week.
Speaker 5: Buffalo Baltimore Jets Miami down the stretch this Bengals game. I mean, if they if they don't win this football game, they're coming back to the pack a little bit. And that's what the Bengals are hoping. The Bengals are hoping. Just take it one at a time, right, one game at a time. See if you can turned the worm a little bit even the playing field. Certainly nobody has thrown in the towel. That's not happening. No, no, And I expect I expect a very very competitive football game this weekend. Man first gonna fly down there at Paul Brown Stadium. I mean, Mike Vrabel, he's old school box.
Speaker 4: We know that, Yes it is.
Speaker 5: I mean this guy, he's all about physicality, he's all about old school football. And uh you know he he'd played when there was no face masks. That's that's when he respected the game.
Speaker 4: Of the leather helmets and the old guy.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: The interesting thing is I went back because I remembered the last time he faced his team, the school was nineteen sixteen. The Bengals knocked them out of the playoffs. He was the number one seed, and that was when people started to realize how big the fan base was Bingle Gym and a few other guys went down to Nashville. They had about five thousand people down there. I remember the visuals, yeah, but the being where you know, he just got in the playoffs. Mike Rabel and the Titans and Ryan Tannehill and Derrick Henry, they're they're going to put him in the finals. They're going to play the Chiefs in the AFC Championship. Robert Stampton, Robbert Stampham and they get down there. Ryan Tannehill fifteen to twenty four, three interceptions, one touchdown. Joe Burrow was twenty eight to thirty seven, three hundred and forty eight yards, no touchdowns, one pick. But Joe Mixon had a good game. But it was the defense that gave Tannehill fits that game. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, you hold an NFL team to sixteen points in the playoff game, you've done a hell of a job. And mint Derrick Henry, that's a that's a grown man right there, that's a full grown man. I mean, by two and fifty pounds running back come, you know, flying up the up the football field that you and he's going full speed. It's a it's a challenge, challenge to get that big that big dude on the ground.
Speaker 4: They did.
Speaker 5: The Tennessee Titans that you were very very balanced. I mean, they had a good off it's the football team. They played very salty defense, they had quality special teams. They were they.
Speaker 4: Were and had a receiver name A. J. Brown is now in Philadelphia. How they made that trade, I will never know, but Philadelphia is certainly happy about.
Speaker 5: That, absolutely, and he's still hanging around. I mean, that's that's a.
Speaker 4: Lengthy career, particularly at that position, a wide receiver position. You remember that game, If I remember correctly, Tennessee had what four, five, six, seven, eight and a half sacks in that game? I believe it was they were They were after Joe Burrow a lot that game, and it just looked like neither team could get tracks because we had what four field goals in that game, and then Joe Mixon scored the touchdown. But that that was a physical Clyde Simmons and that, I mean, they're just on both sides of the football. There were some grown men out there, there were, you know, and it was a red zone battle. You know.
Speaker 5: The Bengals scored one touchdown. Uh Tennessee the same thing, you know. I mean everything else was field goal, you know. So you know, once they got into that short field, moved the football. Fine, okay, get into the red zone, inside the twenty low red zone, inside the ten yard line.
Speaker 4: They put the walleup.
Speaker 5: Man slammed the door. They say, now you got to settle three. You're not gonna You're not getting seven points. Man, this is the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Yes, And the reason I brought this game up because the New England team last year is not the New England team this year. It's more like this team right that they played back then. Because Mike Vrabel's stamp is already on this new team.
Speaker 5: I mean the Patriots. What they win four games last year? Yeah, and for them to turn it around like they have ten wins, I mean, come on, man, that's that's that's pretty amazing. I mean, Rabel put his stamp on this football team very early. And credit the players. They were looking for somebody to help them turn it around. They found the right guy. You gotta give bog Craft credit. He brought Rabel back. Rabel played there. Frabel was a great player for the Patriots then Boston Patriots. And I mean he he was tough man. He was a hell of a player. And uh and Bob Kraft said, you know, we're gonna, We're gonna, you know, bring bring you back, and uh, the spirit of the of the Patriots is going to increase. That place is a tough place to play. Unfortunately you don't have to, but I'm telling you, under Mike Rabel, the New England Patriots are back. And they got back in a hurry. I mean it was like turned it around in split second.
Speaker 4: And you know what laughing you were talking about that. I was looking at their numbers on the offensive side of the ball and what they do well. And and he is, like you said, an old school guy. He wants to run the football. They've got a young quarterback who many people were high on. He had the typical rookie you know, speed bumps. But this May kid man is really looking like the real deal. Looks comfortable back there in the pocket.
Speaker 5: Drake May is especial, you know. And uh, and you're right, Mike Rabel believes in balanced football. You know, run the ball and and uh, then you're gonna be able to throw the all effectively and efficiently complimentary football. You run the football, get that established, make the defense have to respect that and defend that running game. Then all of a sudden, play action passing game opens up, and it opens up wide open. And uh and that's what the Norman Patriots are doing. They're they're playing complimentary football at its finest, offensively, defensively and special teams.
Speaker 4: No question about. It's gonna be a big game. Uh. Again, the bigger question we'll talk about later is we know that Joe's playing. Is it Joe cool or Joe calm right? We will, we'll figure that out. We don't know, I mean, I don't know. We were talking to Zach Taylor to day he met with the media, just in conversation, obviously non committal. You listen to t Higgins yesterday, talked about just the joy on his face seeing Joe Burrow out there smile from here to ear. They can smile from here to ear. And I saw Joe Burrow today and Joe Burrow looked like a happy Joe Burrow. You know, the last few weeks we've seen him in the locker room. That guy wants to play.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: You talk about a guy that he's grumpy when he doesn't get to play no doubt. He's in his locker like you're almost like you don't want to speak to him because he's like, I'm just mad right now. I want to play football. But I've seen the happy Joe Burrow today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's almost like, you know, he's being punished. You know, it's like, I can't do the thing I love. You know, dang it, I'm nicked up. And he has had a share of injuries, but I'll tell you what, every injury that he's had, significant injury, he's come back in less than half the time. This guy is unbelievable in terms of his body can recover and recuperate and rehab and he's so diligent about it and so focused and so committed to it. I mean, he was supposed to be out three months with this injury in his turf toe back in a month and a half.
Speaker 4: Well you know what they call Will. I think it's Will Anderson the linebacker, Houston the terminator. Yeah, get that to Joe Burrow. Man. Now you open this dude up. There may be some circuit boards and there and some transistors or something, because it's like he does come back no matter what you say. Is the quote unquote prognosis. He seems to come back in less time and to your point, highly effective, Like Okay, I'm back for real, I'm back and uh yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean his goal seems to be when I come back after the rehab process, I'm going to be a better Joe Burrow than when I got hurt. I'm going to rehab to the point where that that uh in that body part is going to be in better shape than it was when it got injured. And and that's that seems to be his commitment. I mean, his mindset is like you said, Box, He's tough mentally and physically tough. He's driven, he's committed and uh and he he is uber competitive, no.
Speaker 4: Question about it. We'll take our first break. We'll be back with more of the Bengals pep Rally, still presented by just Bear Chicken right here on the Bengals Radio Network. Welcome back to the Bengals pep Rally, so broadcasting live right here at on the Rhine Way Box Thriller Dave Lapham one out of the East Court Street on the Bengals Radio Network. And I tell you what, presented by us Bear A Chicken. Glad to have it on a board as well as having you, and we'll be here in the third hour. We'll be joined by tight end Eric All, the fair Field High product I went to Michigan, Iowa. A great young man, just somebody I've enjoyed being around. We'll have him in an hour. But as always, some of you may have heard it this week, some may not, but we always share with you and that's the pressure with Bengals head coach Zach Taylor. We'll do that right now and talk about it on the other side.
Speaker 7: You know, Dejon obviously hasn't gotten practice its training camp, so I think that one there's a lot of work that's got to go in there. He hasn't played football in a long time. Kasecki being out four weeks, I feel like he's a little ready to hit the ground running, So we'll see how he looks this week.
Speaker 8: I'll take you could get Mike back given that everything.
Speaker 7: It helps, given that situation to who's a guy like Jamar and I had one like Mike.
Speaker 9: Certainly helps use the pain a little bit and we'd be happy to.
Speaker 8: Have your reaction to obviously the suspension and then and then appeal being denied.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean we we we gave him everything we had. They have held suspension and so as a team, we just got to move forward. You know, still support Jamar and I have support Jamar, but we got to focus on New England now and look forward to getting Jamorrow next back next Monday.
Speaker 10: Is that move for Dejon to be atbated because he's finally ready from injury standpoint, or just that you guys are hopeful in the next couple of weeks to see what he.
Speaker 11: Can do for you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was time to get him back, you know.
Speaker 7: And so again now he's he's healthy and so open up this twenty one day windows so we can look at him going into December.
Speaker 9: It's just it's time to do that, he said.
Speaker 12: His message to the receivers was, you know, a bunch of guys get an opportunity here with Jamorrow. What do you hope to see kind of in practice this week to figure out who's going to get those chances?
Speaker 7: Yeah, guys just taking advantage of the opportunity. Again, It's that's exactly what it is. That's how some guys have gotten their chances. That's how Mitch Tinsley has has gotten himself on the roster has taken advantage of moments where he's at, you know, and so again, I just think we'll continue to evaluate those guys. We got a good plan in place to utilize everybody we can. Then we'll see how guys continue to step up as a week.
Speaker 13: What challenges does.
Speaker 11: Drake May presenting? What do you think about him?
Speaker 9: I think he's done a great job.
Speaker 7: I mean, four to one touchdown interception is really impressive considering his second year, new coaching staff, you know, all that stuff you factor in. I think he's done an excellent job. Seventy two completion which is really impressive too, so he's doing everything right and leading the team to eight straight wins. I think he's just really impressive, and he's he's a tough challenge, but he guys taking care of the football like that, completing balls at a high rate like he is, twenty touchdowns five make plays with his feet as well, So he's really impressive in a difficult challenge for you guys.
Speaker 14: What did you see from Josh McDaniel's offense and run by Drake May?
Speaker 11: What is it about Josh.
Speaker 14: Mccamills that over the years has made him success.
Speaker 7: He does a great job attacking defenses a lot of different ways, staying patient, picking his moments for big opportunities explosives.
Speaker 9: It's hard to say how much offense they Carrie.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I've never really been with him, but they just do a good job with their game planning week to week and attacking, attacking what they think your weaknesses. And I'm always having some nice wrinkles in place. He's done it for a long time, a very high level, won a lot of Super Bowls, A ton of respect for Josh, and he's certainly getting a lot of the offense right now.
Speaker 14: Is a term that comes up a lot when his name comes up. You see where do you see any characteristics of a mesh offense with them?
Speaker 11: Run through the break.
Speaker 9: Offense, a mesh like the concepts.
Speaker 11: Like crossing receivers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think if he's get yeah, I mean that That's threw me on that one, and I didn't expect that question. I'm sure that shows up. That's not what I necessarily think of right.
Speaker 9: Out the gate.
Speaker 13: Sat. You know, a game against a good New England team with a good record, I think is going to demand always going to demand attention.
Speaker 3: Of whoever that the team is playing.
Speaker 13: I just wonder because of the unique circumstance of you guys having one of the coveted like primetime games the following Thursday on Thanksgiving Night, they're like any usefulness and maybe telling the guys focus on this one, don't. I know, the idea of looking ahead beyond this doing the team is insane, but like, don't look ahead just because we have this, you know, Thursday night game coming up.
Speaker 7: No, I am had a competiity to do that for one second. I think they're pretty well focused on the.
Speaker 9: Joe Flaco feelings.
Speaker 7: If he won't practice today, same schedule as we've been on the last couple weeks, and.
Speaker 11: That's just mean it's normal, Yeah, Bill practice, Yes, well he definitely start on Sunday.
Speaker 7: We'll keep working through it, you know, and see how we go through the week. Is that their scenario that Joe Burrow Joe Burrow hasn't practiced seven on eleven yet, So, like I said the other day, until we get through some practice, there's no reason for me to even speculate on that.
Speaker 12: Well without Flacco, like Wednesday kind of be Burrow's day, and then Thursday kind of Flaco's day.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think you can certainly get a lot of work in with Joe today, Joe Burrow today because Flacco's not practicing, because the plan has been getting into eleven and eleven, so it works well, we're not trying to balance a guy who is going to practice on a Wednesday, Joe, Joe Flacco hasn't done that. We got to think of another way to communicate this because the two Joe's that really is just this is getting harder and harder every week that passes. But so we'll get through today and it's just get start to get you out there in eleven on eleven.
Speaker 9: See how it goes well.
Speaker 11: Joe Burrow to eleven on eleven today. Think he might, he will, He'll do it today.
Speaker 13: New England's gotten a lot of praise for the job that they've done and the rebuild of the entire team, but specifically on defense.
Speaker 11: Obviously that's for able. You know, bread and butter and you look at you played them last year. What's the biggest change you've seen in the defense this year?
Speaker 9: Yeah, impossible to compare. That was that was a week one.
Speaker 7: It's such a unique thing because they had a new staff last year to year ensure, so that that one doesn't to me even count.
Speaker 9: I think that he's just done a great job. It's it's it's.
Speaker 7: Similar enough to what they did in Tennessee, but there's some differences, you know, and so again I think spending time away for a year, however you look at it, it's they've done a good job. There's some things that stayed the same that they're really hard nose playing defense. They do the they do the simple things really well. There's a physicality to them for sure. That shows up. You know, There's there's a couple of guys that have been with Grapele in the past that he brings along and some of the guys that they added from around the league, and then the guys that have been there that they continue to grow within the organization. So it's a challenging defense. They do a really good job. It's not even a team that that overall has. They won eight in a row, so you normally look at the turnover battle and think, Okay, they're dominating. The term of they're not. There's zero you know, it's even for them, and so that that's an impressive way to win eight in a row when there's been games where it's where it's plus or minus, but we're all at zero, and so I think that that's just pretty impressive that they've been able to do what they do with the rector they have. That tells you that they're playing really sound foot in all three phases.
Speaker 11: I think we asked on Monday, Ryan is getting closer.
Speaker 9: He'll be doubtful this week.
Speaker 12: You asked a lot about the defense on Monday and things you want to fix going into this week. There any like positive example you've the staff is pointed to and said, like, your's what we wanted to look like somethings.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think there's a lot of great examples on first and second down, what we won and got them to where we wanted and didn't necessarily finish all the time. There's times we did there was a there's a physicality there that I thought, Like I said, I thought the linebackers did a good job from an operational standpoint. So yeah, there's a lot of things to build on that I think had been better than the weeks before. That's not our standards, not let's just be a little bit better, It's it's we want to completely raise the standard for a whole team, but there were some things that we got to continue to build on.
Speaker 13: Ohsa, I got a little dinged up at the beginning game.
Speaker 11: Obviously finished the game. Will he be out there Today's Yeah.
Speaker 7: There's guys of course that always get deemed back in the games, and we'll manage them through the week.
Speaker 9: But he's in good shape.
Speaker 15: It makes it to the NFL are shying away from challenges, But a team that's won eight and rows, that's something that you actually enjoy. That's something that you want to go after and try to snap that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it doesn't.
Speaker 7: I mean, you kind of know what our mentality has been over the last couple of years, and these opportunities are fun ones, you know. It's it's all these games are meaningful. They've obviously they're in a really good rhythm and they've earned that, and so it's it's a great opportunity for us to to find our rhythm, you know, to go out there and challenge them and put our best foot forward and see how it all falls. Get some momentum after this game. Well, you're you're communications limited. I mean I talked to him immediately after the game, but then since then, you can't have communication with him, which is tricky, but again he and I are in the same page with everything.
Speaker 9: I'll just keep that with me and Jamal.
Speaker 11: When does that end you talk post games?
Speaker 7: I think it's I'm not sure if it's four pm Monday, sometime on Monday.
Speaker 13: What do you what would your expectations for him be during this no contact?
Speaker 9: Can't talk to him, so I'm not speculating.
Speaker 8: What have you seen from from Charlie Jones and you think that he could potentially give you?
Speaker 7: I think Charlie's got a lot of confidence in our offense. So again, he's waiting for his opportunity. We've been really healthy at the spot, you know, so there hasn't been a lot of opportunity take advantage of. So I think this is one of those moments where where guys have an opportunity to make a name for himself. And we'll keep working through that for practice and see what it ends up on Sunday.
Speaker 8: I asked you Monday and you said you evaluated every day. Do you anticipate any starting lineup changes on defense?
Speaker 9: We'll keep working through this week. Thank you?
Speaker 4: All right? That was Zach Taylor talking about this game, and then some of the players obviously, you know, no which a lap is gonna tip their hand about their number one player, like Joe Burrow or whatever, because I got to speculate. Some run rampant to be all over the place, and hey, guys in the locker room, they'll be bombarded with the same old questions, and so it's best to just wait and find out. It's like a soap opera, you know, just let the drama unfold.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you know, the injury is, it's not gonna heal up any faster. If Zach Taylor says, yeah, he's gonna play on Sunday, you know it's not going to expedite the healing process. And bottom line is, you want to keep some things to yourself anyway, because if you have really good football players that you know aren't gonna be able to play, but you don't want the world to know they aren't gonna be able to play, you don't want to make an announcement about it. Just let you know, the injury, recovery and rehab take its course and let it.
Speaker 4: All play out, No question about it. We'll let it play out. We'll take a break come back from Joe Flacco. But We're broadcasting liar from one of the most beautiful places and the great food. If you haven't been down to on the Ryan Eatery, you need to get down here one hundred Court three. But back with more of the Bengals prep Rollley presented by Just Beare Chicken, live on the ESPN fifteen thirty network. Welcome back to the Bengals pep Rolly Show, broadcasting live on the ESPN fifteen thirty, presented by Just Bear Chicken Wing box filler Dave Lapham. Glad to have your board and don't forget shop the Bingles Pro Shop find the best selection of Bengo merchandise anywhere. Visits the Pro Shops seven days a week, located on the north side of pay Court Stadium, or you know you can shop online at Bengals dot com. We're broadcasting live from on the Ryan Eatery, one hundred East Court Street. You've got a menu of restaurants, not just the menu of food, a menu of restaurants. And Mike had the chicken fingers, and you had the fries and the Montrelli sticks, and the fries and the wings are the best smoke grilled whatever that commendation is they have sushi, they have salads, they have at all and fresh and it's good. They have a fully stocked bar with a patio and all of that. So make sure you come next week. We will. We will be here next Friday. I know we have a Thanksgiving game. Yeah, so we will be here next Friday, and we'll have a guest lined up as soon as possible for that. Eric all the tight end will join us in the next hour. But Joe Flacco would love to be throwing to him. He met with the media and this is Joe Flaccoll's presser from this week.
Speaker 11: We ask you this every week, but how are you dealing with this?
Speaker 3: I feel good? Yeah, I really do.
Speaker 16: I'm starting to feel pretty good, U you know, with just what's going on the last couple of weeks and the rest of the body's holding up well, so I can't complain.
Speaker 15: You've played a lot of cities, a lot of environments, a lot of fan bases.
Speaker 11: What stands out about your five weeks here?
Speaker 3: Oh man?
Speaker 16: Well, I think just being and being in Ohio like and you can just tell you know how much football you know, means to people in this part of the country, and you know, from the time they were probably young. So everybody has that that good knowledge of football, and you can tell they care about it a lot, and they have those expectations and and they get themselves excited to come in and cheer for us in those games. I've played here a good amount, and honestly, I probably missed that part of it a little bit, you don't, you know. But when when you're here and you know, you kind of walk around the city and you know, you get to see people from here, you can tell how into it they are, just with the little who days on, you know, on the side of the road and things like that. I'm not quite sure how to respond yet. I still feel a little funny saying.
Speaker 3: It, but but I'm getting there.
Speaker 6: So I built up a rapport throng with Jamar and team somewhat de Andre because he's the third.
Speaker 17: Guy that.
Speaker 11: Reps you got me with some of those other guys in Miche Jones.
Speaker 16: Yeah, well, you know, not a ton, but I think when we have i mean, you know, teams, we've made some plays, you know, so uh, you know, you got to feel pretty good about it going in and uh, it's always cool, you know. Honestly, when when when these types of things can come up for whatever reason, Uh, because it's opportunities, you know, for for young players to come in and and show what they're all about.
Speaker 3: So I think only good can come from that. How did look Joe look good? Yeah?
Speaker 16: It's cool to see him out there, and you know, obviously, when you know you're both now taking reps and things like that, some conversations kind of happened and just like how do you see this versus that?
Speaker 3: But but yeah, Joe look good.
Speaker 11: It seems like you got a good rapport with Tea And I mean what I mean, you know, let's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we've all seen his radius. It's yeah, it's it's a little bit different. I've been. I've think you come in and you obviously have an.
Speaker 16: Idea you know, what somebody like him may be like and just from Afar, but when you get to see it up close and in person, it doesn't disappoint. You know, he has a lot of skills that, you know, make it very obvious why he is the player he is.
Speaker 17: Maybe when once you get to play with that, he might have changed, you know, he didn't.
Speaker 11: Even far that you.
Speaker 16: Oh, I think you probably see a taller guy that you know runs decent. You just assume he could probably go out for the ball and run down the sideline and do those kind of things. But I think just throwing slants to him and just you know, little things. I don't know what he ran and it is for you, but when he gets the ball in his hand, and the speed that he's able to keep kind of throughout his routes and when the ball's in the air, you know, through the catch point, like he looks like he's just moving, like you know, he's got that speed to him. I've thrown a couple crossing routes to him and practice that. I'm just like, whoa, Like, how fast is he going right there? Like he was really moving across that football field. So I think just the speed that he's had and in terms of his ability to catch balls underneath and make him big plays.
Speaker 3: And then I keep saying it.
Speaker 16: But his ability to attack the ball while the wilts in the air. It's a very subtle thing and sometimes you don't even know that that that's what he was doing. But he has a very good ability to go attack the ball in the air and make it be you know, you just make it look like maybe even a little bit better throw than it was.
Speaker 14: And he watched through that first, that that touch on y'all had, and kind of what the play was and kind of how that extended to him.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean he was just running a shallow across across the field. But I honestly had a lot of time on that play, so you know, I was able to stand back there for a long time and and then he just kind of saw me standing back there. We probably locked eyes slightly and he turned it up.
Speaker 11: So what would you been like to get to know off the field, Like, what's what's you like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were just laughing. I mean, this is I was.
Speaker 16: We were just walking in here kind of laughing a little bit because I was laughing as to how many nice cars we got in our parking lot over there. I would say, this is a pretty good collection of cars in terms of the teams that I've been on. And we were kind of just laughing about that because he's a part of that. Uh you know, you're you're well, I'm walking to my forward expedition and he's making the whole you know, he's making that whole parking lot like sound like it's going through the worst thunderstorm in the world while he's pulling out with his with his little things. So you know, it's it's been good. These guys are good guys. They're good football guys. But uh man, at locker room, it's a it's a cool spot. I mean, I can't share with you all the crap that we talk about because it's not appropriate, but it is. It's so much fun, even before we were going out to practice today, just the just the stuff that.
Speaker 3: We were you know, you.
Speaker 16: It's a very unique profession in the terms of what we get to talk about while we're on the job.
Speaker 4: So was there.
Speaker 8: A time in your career where you had that car?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 16: No, never, never, never indulged in any of that, And I don't.
Speaker 3: I still don't have the desire to.
Speaker 16: There's time like the furthest I go is like you go on the website and say what if? But you can never actually get any any anywhere past that.
Speaker 11: Well, you've signed a few contracts over the years here, you know, why not? Why haven't that? Why hasn't that?
Speaker 16: I don't think I fit in those things, for one, but all your I mean, all I would end up doing is getting in trouble if I had one of those.
Speaker 11: What kind of challenges does the defense like New England space, especially.
Speaker 18: In a game where you're not going to have a guy like Jamar to be able to exploit them with him.
Speaker 16: Well, I think they got a lot of talent and they're really well coached. I I think when you have a combination, then you gotta, you know, make sure you're all on all of the little details of everything that you do.
Speaker 3: You know, their head coach played there, you know, throughout.
Speaker 16: His career and kind of now now as the head coach of the Patriots, you know, he probably learned a lot of things from the type of culture that he grew up playing in that he was. That's he that he's able to bring to the team that he's now coaching, and just that culture in that mindset, uh, you know, of being physical and and being confident.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I think it obviously shows in their team right now.
Speaker 11: Did you play against him?
Speaker 14: I know you overlapped, your career is overlapped for a brief time.
Speaker 3: But I assume we did. But I can't honestly tell you did you do you.
Speaker 14: See any the way they play defense is at all you can buildo frow that ship system.
Speaker 3: It's tough to say.
Speaker 16: I'm sure there's similarities there, but you know, it's tough to look back on all that we did and and say yes or no.
Speaker 11: What are you seeing Christian Solids?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 16: Yeah, you know a good corner. Uh what's this his second year? So is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So third or third? So you know, he's he's still young.
Speaker 16: But I mean his ability to be physical and I think when you look at him, you know, the way he plays certain routes and where he likes to be, where he kind of likes to position himself.
Speaker 3: But but then he's also.
Speaker 16: Aware of you know, because he's positioned himself in this way, he's aware where the throw may be if you were to make one. So he's also you know, you can tell his thought about how he likes to cover guys and where he likes to be in terms in relation to you know, maybe the high shoulder, the low shoulder inside outside, and then the playoff of that.
Speaker 4: So all right, that's Joe Flacco. We'll take a quick, great come back. We're going to talk to Boston Globe reporter who covers the New England Patriots. It's the Bengals. Pep Rallley Show broadcasting life from on the Ryan Eatery right here, presented by Just Fair Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. Welcome back to the Bengals pep Rally Show broadcasting life from on the Ryan Etery, one hundred Court Street down the Bengals Radio Network. Wayne Boxpiller, Dave Lapham joining you, and don't forget Friday Night Stripes presented by Ohiokatz celebrating high school football across the region with games, giveaways and who they spirit. Catch the Bengals in your community right now, We're gonna get caught up on the New England Patriots are pleasure to welcome to the show from the Boston Globe covering the Patriots, Nicole Yang, Nicole, how are you today? Good?
Speaker 10: How are you guys?
Speaker 4: And we're doing fantastic. First and foremost, thanks for joining us, and let's dive right into it. Let's talk about this week of practice for a team that's looking for double digit ends this Sunday.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the Patriots this week welcomed back two key players on their offense, running back Ramandre Stevenson and wide receiver caseh On Booty. So overall they're looking pretty healthy. They obviously are missing Milton Williams who's on injured reserve, but otherwise they think that they're excited to have their full offense back on the field.
Speaker 4: Yeah, speaking of that, this team total departure in some respects from last year. But how quickly did Mike Vrabel put his stamp on this team? Oh?
Speaker 10: You could see it pretty immediately, especially during the off season, during spring workouts, during training camp, he was working on, like you said, putting his stamp on the team. And you can even see it with the roster overhaul. More than half of the faces this year are new, so he very quickly was able to establish his culture and as well as his personnel.
Speaker 5: So Mike Rabel putting his stamp on the team, that's no big surprise. And Mike Vrabel was a captain when he was a player with the Patriots, a team leader. Everybody looked up to him and respected him as an individual, as a human being and as a football player. Who are some of the team leaders that he's got playing for him this year.
Speaker 10: I think Drake may is certainly one. Over the offseason we talked a lot about Drake's leadership last year. He comes in as a rookie, he doesn't have the starting job, so he's still deferring to at the time the starter, Jacoby Brissette. But this year he knows the team is his and he's really stepped up in that regard. On defense, you also have Robert Splaine who played for Mike in Tennessee, as well as Harold Landry who played for Mike and Tennessee, so I think they have a really strong understanding of the identity that Mike looks for in his teams. And there are also a few other holdovers like from the Bill Belichick era in Brendan's school are on space teams and Marcus Jones on defense, So it's a good mix of new faces and old.
Speaker 4: You know. Talking about the team and Mike Rabel, I've always said, whenever you follow a legend, in this case will be a bellick. It's just don't want to be the one to follow them. You want to be the one that follows the one that follows them. And I think Mayo was in a no win situation struggling like he did, but then coming behind him, I think there's a little less pressure because you're really taking the place of the guy who took the place of the legend. Does it feel a little different with Rabel as far as expectations went at the beginning of the season.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think you could say that's true. You didn't see that in the quarterback room where Mac Jones is sort of viewed as the heir parent. But now there's a little bit less pressure on Drake may So I think that that concept can be true. But I think also Mike Riebel and Jerrod may are different situations. Girod Mayo had not coached outside of the New England organization. He didn't have any head coaching experience, whereas Mike not only has experience, but he's an accomplished head coach, and so I think that experience really benefited him, and you can see in the decisions that he's making that experience payoffs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's.
Speaker 5: You know, when I when I look at Mike Rabel and I look at him the way he is leading this football team, I see a lot of Bill Belichick. Is that an accurate assessment? I know they are their own men. You know, it's not like Bill Belichick clone himself into Mike Rabel, but a lot of beliefs, a lot of philosophies of football, the way they look at the game, the way they understand the game, the way they teach the game. Is there a lot of similarity there.
Speaker 10: I think there are some similarities, but I agree with you that there are just more different in that you see Mike pay a lot of attention to sort of the who the players are as people, and he really seems to care about player families, players off the field, and he believes if you know the player and the coach better as a person, then you will play better on the field because of that information of knowing their story, why they're there. And he never really saw Bill sort of indulge that side. Now from a pure football perspective, yes, you definitely see the attention to detail, the just in depth knowledge about the sport.
Speaker 6: For sure.
Speaker 10: You can see those crossover but just in their approach. Mike celebrates with the team, Mike encourages celebrations. Mike definitely empowers the players, I would say more than Bill did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Nicole Yang from the Boston Globe is joining us again. Nicole, thank you so much. I want to ask you about that Week five game against Buffalo that I thought that that was the day that the New England Patriots said, we are a legitimate team and we're not intimidated by the perennial winners of this division. But we are going to go out here and play football. Did the environment or the community get a sense of, Okay, we can actually start to believe in this team now.
Speaker 10: Totally. I definitely think that was their statement win as far as proving that, Okay, we can actually contend with the top of the AFC, we are in contention for the division, things like that, especially on the primetime stage, which the Patriots haven't had very often in the past couple of years because of their poor record and the lack of star power. So I definitely think that Week five win was a statement But if you ask the team for them, the turning point was actually Week two in Miami, and that game kind of came down to the wire, was in a hot environment, and they had lost their season opener. But Rabel has said that he's really pleased with how team came together and that's sort of when he knew, like, Okay, there is some potential here and we might be able to do something interesting.
Speaker 4: Great observation in that sense, I tell you what Vrabel remembers the Bengals very well because when he was with the Tennessee Titans, they were the number one seed and we knocked them out of the playoffs with many people thought they would. I don't know if anybody asked him about that, but I don't think he's forgotten about that.
Speaker 10: Knowing Mike, I would agree with you, I'm sure he hasn't forgotten, but that that would have been a good question. No one asked him about that this week.
Speaker 5: That I guarantee you he hasn't forgotten about it. There's no two ways about that. I guess when you look at how quickly they turned things around. I mean, here's a football team that had four wins last year and now here they are sitting with the best record in football. I mean it had to surprise almost everybody, maybe even Crafting, you know, the other coaches and everybody in the organization. Did it or is that what they were expecting.
Speaker 10: I don't think Robert Kraft was surprised, just because he is sort of an eternal optimist. He always thinks that they're going to make the playoffs, that they're gonna go on run. So I'm not sure about Robert, but I would imagine if you gave other people in the building some truth theorem that they thought things were going to turn around, but maybe just not to this extent. I think they thought that the team would get closer to five hundred, maybe sneak into the wild card, but to be nine and two in contention for the number one seed. I really would be surprised if if anybody saw this coming.
Speaker 4: Nicole, thank you so much again for being with us. Before we go. What would be your key to the game for them to win this weekend?
Speaker 10: I think just and you'll have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think taking advantage of Cincinnati's defense. Drake may is having a stellar MVB caliber year. He's been able to throw downfield and have an accuracy downfield like a few quarterbacks in the NFL, So I think just taking advantage of since he's week defense. Drake hasn't thrown for three hundred yards yet in his career, but this seems like a good opportunity. So I think just keeping their foot on the gas pedal offensively should give them a good chance.
Speaker 4: Good question about Nicole, Thank you so much for joining us and look forward to seeing you Sunday.
Speaker 10: Thanks so much for having me, guys.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you so much. That was Nicole Yang from the Boston Globe. Really enjoyed speaking with her. Just a lot of good stuff there. And that you're talking about culture change. He sure did that, he did.
Speaker 5: And when when you were talking with somebody that you know is around the players and coaches all day, every day during the regular season, like you and I are allowed to to be boxing, you do, you get a unique perspective, I think, and I'm not saying that she's not no way is she shocked, but pleasantly surprised with what's going on in New England.
Speaker 4: There's no doubt, no question. Real quick note here, I wanted to say, congratulations Ken Anderson is a semi finalist for the Pro Football Say, and I don't know what else this guy has to do. Man, between him and Willie Anderson, what these guys have done their body of work and really not just that lap, but what other players say about them who faced both of these guys. They all endorse them as Hall of famers. And sometimes I wonder who's on this committee and what they're thinking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know my understanding is Kenny got a ton of votes, you know, last last year in the voting, So maybe this is the year. It should be the year because flat out, without a doubt, Ken Anderson belongs in the Hall of Fame, up and up in Ohio, up in Northern Ohio, Akron, Ohio.
Speaker 4: I mean, he he he.
Speaker 5: Is uh the best football player we've had here with the Cincinnati Bengals. And on top of that, got the room with him for nine years, nine of the ten years that I played with the Cincinnati Bengals, and got to watch him, how he comported himself, how he handled himself in tough times in good times. Sometimes it's it's more important to watch a guy how he handles success. You know, most guys handle failure if they've gotten to the professional level in the National Football League, they've been able to, Okay, compartmentalize, figure out why you failed, don't do it again, and move on. Some guys, though, I mean, they just they let success get to their heads. Next thing you know, they're out the door. You know it's they're not They're not putting their nose to the grindstone the same way. Ken Anderson hell of an athlete. I mean, he played high school basketball, with Dan Issel when they when they grew up, and and Dan this of course played in the NBA for gazillion years with the Denver Nuggets. And Kenny was a hell of a player. Talking to Dan Issel over the years, you said Kenny could shoot lights out man point guard, had to handle, great defensive player. I mean, just a tremendous athlete. And that doesn't surprise you. A lot of I've bet a lot of quarterbacks played multiple sports.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, we'll be back with more. You're listening to the Bengals. Pitt rallley So Broadcasting Life. I'm on the Ryan, presented by Just Barret Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Bengals Kettering Health Best Care for the Best Fans. Kettering Health, official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen to thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to our number two of the Bengals. Pet rally So Broadcasting Life. I'm on the RYE one hundred These Court three, presented by Just Barret Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. Wayne Box, Miller, Dave Lap I'm glad to have you board Also, thanks to Aulti Fiber, the official Wi Fi and Internet provider of the Bengals and greatest, Cincinnati's fastest Internet went up to two gigs of symmetrical speed. Don't ask me what that means. It just sounds like it's fast, yes, and I'll go with that. I'm with you, speaking of fast, we won't have the fastest man on the field Sunday. Jamar Chase an incident that obviously he'd love to have back, right. And I'm not a basher, I'm not a pile on person. There's a mistake the kid made. He's got to pay for it, and uh, that's how you grow, you know, you get beyond it. But lap without a doubt, you're losing your number one guy. Going up against a team like this is a tough one, no question.
Speaker 5: I mean, Jamar Chase changes every single football game that he plays in with his speed. Yeah, like you're talking about that that that is the biggest weapon that opposing coaches fear is foot speed. I mean, it's either have it or you don't. And when you have it, it's the ultimate weapon. It's it's uh, it's separates you from the pack. And you have to now make adjustments defensively to neutralize and try to negate that that speed that Jamar Chase has. I don't I can't remember snap this year, or he wasn't doubled when he came off with a scrimmage. You're gonna put two guys on him and shadow him wherever he goes and either that or put the best corner they've got on him and and go one on one and see who's the better man. When you have a great corner. And there are some great corners, great cover guys in the National Football League, but man, I'd still take take my chances with Jamar Chase running routes against against those guys. So not having Jamar Chase in this football game, and for the reason that you're not having Jamar Chase in this football game hurts a lot.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: It's like it wasn't because of injury. It wasn't because of anything other than you know, just losing your poison.
Speaker 4: A little bit. Yeah, that's what it was. And it was a game where you know, Jayala Ramsey. Many people don't know this, but three years ago, maybe before, I can't remember, the Rams came here for a joint practice, right and I remember Jala Ramsey lining up every Bengals wide receiver. He wanted to take on every one of them over and over again. Such a competitive guy. Chase is such a competitive guy. And and these guys know each other from back then and it's carried on. And with him being in the division now you get to see each other twice a year, it's going to bubble up in some kind of way. And when we struggled like we did second half of the game and started to get away from us, and I'm sure he was frustrated a lot of things, but you just have to remember, and he's young, you have to remember those are kind of things that you really have to work on controlling absolutely.
Speaker 5: And and like you said, both those they want King of the hill Man. I mean, they're like nobody's bad to me. You know, I'm I've got I've got characteristics, I've got physical traits, I've got things that not many people walking planet Earth have, you know. And and and I'm going to show you, uh and and it's like they want to carve their own territory and they don't want you to invade on it. So it's it's gonna it's interesting they're gonna be playing against each other for a long time, and there's there's no doubt about it. And they they do bring a competitive attitude to that to that game of football when they're out in the football field, and you know, it's not all bad. It permeates the entire roster for both football teams and the trickle down effect. Man, there's some there's some football being played out there. I watched some of these defensive football teams. The speed that they show, you know, it's like, man, and it's because like a guy like Jamar Chase makes you pick it up. I mean, it makes you almost run faster than you can. That's what Paul Brown used to say. You know, sometimes when you're playing against people, you gotta run faster than you can. You gotta you gotta hit harder than you can, you gotta lift more weights.
Speaker 4: Than you can.
Speaker 6: You have to.
Speaker 5: You have to be, uh something unique and special. And that's that's what the National Football he is all about.
Speaker 4: Really. You know, I said this that it reminds me of a quote that Mike Tomlin, who's got probably a million in his own book, but he said two dogs, one bone and Ramsey and Matte's that's to me is what there's two dogs, one bone. That's a good one. Yeah, I'm gonna be king of the hill. T Higgins has a chance. He has played very well this year. He had flack who have played well together. I think it's a chance for t Higgins, not purposefully, but the way it's unfolded. Hey, man, I'll show you guys, I'm a number one receiver. Yeah, I'm gonna be that guy, and I'm gonna be that target. But also, whether it's Mitch Tinsley or whoever comes in you wanted to play. You feel like you deserve to play in this league. Right, You feel like you deserve to be on this field.
Speaker 5: Here you go, right, I mean, opportunity knocks for a lot of these guys. And uh, maybe not necessarily the way they wanted to get snaps, right, but they got them and and and now it's time to put up a shut up. You know, if if you've been working your coaches, Hey, put me in. Give me give me an opportunity. You know, I know I can do it. I know I can get after it out here. Give me give me a shot, give me a chance. Uh, now it's now it's time. I mean, you know you've been pestering and bugging me. Here you go. Now, what are you gonna do? You know your talk talk is one thing, talks cheap. Go out there and perform. Show me you got something. And uh and I think T. Higgins is gonna step up big.
Speaker 4: I think T.
Speaker 5: Higgins is gonna have big games for the Bengals. I wouldn't be surprised if he strings together a few one hundred yard receiving games, you know, seven or eight catches one hundred yards, touchdown or two. He's got that kind of talent, that kind of ability, and you know, those are the kind of numbers that Jamar Chase is capable of putting up. And he was and he is he will when he comes back. Uh so is T Higgins. He's capable of doing the same thing. He can show the rest of the league. I'm a number one receiver and at some point in time that stands you in good stead with these other teams. You never know, it's you know, the other teams may be uh kind of bidding for your services at some point down the road. And you want to make a good impression, and you want to make it as early as you can.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the tape is rolling from the time that ball goes up. No doubt that tape is rolling, or see what happens. But I do believe and I agree with you, lap I think you guys like him. Man, this is a moment where they say, that's my guy. Chase is my guy. I'm not gonna let him down. Number one, I'm gonna pick up his slack because that's what teammates do. But number two, to the coaches and to the quarterback, I got you. Don't worry about it. You know, we're gonna create some opportunities for us to make some big plays.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think you know Jamar Chase, he'd like nothing better than to see some of his teammates step up and play the best football they played their entire lives. I mean, you know, he realizes you made a mistake. He realized that he lost his poise. Now he's counting on his teammates to pick him up. You know, no man stands alone, right, It's a team game.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Teammates support each other through thick and thin, good times and bad times. And now Jamar Chase needs some help, and he's got the teammates that can do it, no.
Speaker 4: Question about it. And I think if T Higgins catches a touchdown in this game, it'll be a I believe his tenth game straight home game that he's caught a touchdown and just incredible when you think about that. I mean, this year thirty five catches, five hundred and forty four yards, seven touchdowns, averaging fifteen and a half yards per reception. Those are some big numbers. They are. He's a big guy.
Speaker 5: Hee's you know, six to four anyway, two fifteen, two twenty, long arms, big strong hands. When he catches the football, he plucks the football out of the air, he tucks it away and it's it's put away for good. They're not going to separate him from the football. He's got length with his legs, He's got he runs tremendous routes. He's got flexibility. He bends at the knees well, he can change direction. T Higgins is a premier player in the National Football League, and the Cincinnati Bengals is so fortunate to have two premiere wide receivers, you know, one healthy and one able to play at the same time in Jamar Chase and T Higgins.
Speaker 4: No question about it. We'll take a break. We're broadcasting live from on the RYE one hundred East Course Street. It is the Bengals Rowley So presented by Just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. Welcome back to the Bengals Valley Show, broadcasting live. I'm on the RYE one hundreds Court Street, presented by Just beaar Ticket on the Bengals Radio Network. Wayne Box, Miller, Dave Lapham glad to have you a board live in person or listening on air. Don't forget Paid Court is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals and lap Speaking of pay Court, Tonight, Paid Court will be rocking at the high school level the Saint Xavier Bombers against the Elder Panthers and a big showdown. It's gonna be big man, and I'm so happy for both schools. But I am so over the top happy for the kids man to be on that field. No question, Box, I mean, what does it say about the GCL. Yeah, these two schools.
Speaker 5: Are putting on the show, you know, says I mean the GCL, I mean, best best conference, best leads.
Speaker 4: And they yeah, they were close to twenty thousand tickets sold last I said twenty thousand with UC basketball going on and other things, and they're still putting twenty thousand in there.
Speaker 5: High school football in the city of Cincinnati, as we know, is a big deal.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: My brothers were all from New England when they came out here for a Bengals game when I was playing, and they came out on a Friday, and they they saw what it was like for Friday football fever and everything, how it's covered on the on television, the exposure that gets, how many games are broadcast on radio. And they were stunned. They were they were shocked. And you know, I was too initially when I first came to town because back in the Boston area, it's not like that. It doesn't get that kind of coverage, you know. So they they were into their professional sports, and there's a bunch of professional sports. I mean they got football, basketball, hockey, they got it all.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I just I just remember I got a chance to play at Fenway Park, uh, when I was in high school in the in the state playoffs, and man, I thought I was King of the Hill.
Speaker 4: Getting to play at Are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: And Uh, you know that's what the Boston Red song since were Ted Williams, Tony KNIGLERO. That's what those guys you know were in. Uh and the Patriots Finwaym's Babe Perili, that's Jim Nance, That's Larry Zonker, that's you know, that's all these Larry Eisenhower, Bob d these great defensive players.
Speaker 4: How the heck what.
Speaker 5: Am I doing playing at Fenway Park? I mean, it was mind boggling and it was a it was a trip for.
Speaker 4: Sure, strong connection into the Bengals because the guy that was on their last next to the last day championship team, Uh, Sean Clifford. Since that bingo and he called Dan Horde had him featured last week and fantastic fun facts. Truly enjoyed it. Let's listen to that now.
Speaker 17: Time for some fun facts with quarterbacks. Sean Clifford a local kid out of Saint Xavier High School here in Cincinnati. You haven't had the opportunity to play in a game yet for the Bengals, but describe what it's been like for you to go to work every day court Stadium.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 19: I think it means a lot to my family. First and foremost.
Speaker 18: You know, the the Cliffords have been living here for over twenty years now, and you know, we really truly call this place a home. So just being able to go to work with a great group of guys, great coaching staff, and great front office. I think that all together it just means a little extra. I know it means a lot to the guys in this locker room, but for me personally, you know, it is personal. So it's been a it's been a pleasure to be here so far and look and get some wins in the future.
Speaker 17: Did you attend a lot of Bengals games when you were young, and if so, do any specific memories stand out.
Speaker 18: We would, We would go to games all the time. But my senior year, my parents actually got my brother and I.
Speaker 19: Season tickets for just for my senior year and his eighth grade year.
Speaker 18: And if you know brother, the brother connection, obviously you're bicker and you.
Speaker 19: Fight each other for so long.
Speaker 18: And it was actually funny because in my last year before I left for college and his first year going into high school. You know, it was that opportunity to go to the Bengals games where I feel like we really developed that best friendship and it carries on today. You know, that's my right hand man. So I owe a lot to this team just from being a fan first and foremost. My brother and I will always talk about it. I was able the first game point out to Zach the exact spot where I was sitting, you know, almost a decade ago. So it's really cool to be back on the field contributing to a team. Maybe not on the field, but from a week to week perspective, just giving it my all and trying to find a way to win.
Speaker 17: We're visiting with Sean Clifford. One of the most memorable moments in the Bengal Super Bowl run in twenty twenty one was the playoff game in Tennessee where Joe Burrow got sacked nine times and the Bengals still won the game. You did that in the state championship game for Saint X back in twenty sixteen. Describe that season because it was not a smooth ride for the Bombers.
Speaker 18: Yeah, very similar to this year. I think, you know, the at least the opportunity. You know, we went five and five in the regular season. Steve Speck actually wrote a book about that season. But when five and five I had injuries. We had injuries going into the season. I think that we had five starters out by the first week, so you know, it was a lot of ups and downs, but put together some some good wins in the back end, made made it into the playoffs, is a very late seed, and then rode that momentum all the way to the state championship. And I think that you know, you in those situations, you know, I compare it, you can compare it in every level. You know, you just got to find a way to string together wins. But then once you get to the big dance and it's one, one game at a time, anything can happen. So I think that that's always been my mindset is you know, season's long, it's gonna be tough, and there's gonna be ups and downs, but weathering that storm and being able to at least get to the final that you know, that final show, then anybody can win every single week. So it's just about putting putting enough together, you know, because you're gonna face adversity, but if you can put enough together to get to that point, then you can catch a hot streak.
Speaker 17: From a state championship at Saint X. It was on to Penn State, where you spent six years. Why did you choose the Nidney Lions.
Speaker 18: It really came down to James Franklin and I hate to see him go. It was tough to see him go, for sure, and I know a lot of guys in that locker room are still feeling that just because, you know, James was such a great guy, a family man, somebody who really preached, you know, the same mantra similar to Saint X men for others. You know, it was kind of the same way at Penn State, and my mom really fell in love with the idea of me going to that school.
Speaker 19: Thank god she did, because.
Speaker 18: I really, you know, she she was a big proponent of going to Penn State, staying committed the whole way through committing early and staying committed. So I owe a lot to my parents for kind of steering me in that direction. I always loved Penn State, but once I got there, it's around the people, you know, Pennsylvania. I really consider Pennsylvania and Ohio to be the two spots that I really love Midwest kid through and through, that's for sure.
Speaker 17: After a record setting career at Penn State. You were a fifth round draft picked by the Green Packers. Describe your draft experience.
Speaker 19: It was a crazy one.
Speaker 18: I you know, I didn't get invited to the combine, was counted out a bunch of different times. And then as I kind of told my story through the draft process the scouts and kind of worked my way.
Speaker 19: Up to to to the.
Speaker 18: The GM level and the coaches level, I think that my story is all about heart and will and what I can provide from a value perspective to a team. And it's it's a day to day thing. You know, You're gonna get my best every single day, doesn't matter, you know, if it's if it's a Monday or Tuesday off day, or if it's game day. You know, I'm gonna give it my all because I'm I always like to think I'm an ultimate competitor.
Speaker 19: You know, I want to win as much as the next guy.
Speaker 18: And I'll do whatever it takes for my teammates to be able to get that done. I think that, you know, Green Bay heard that. I know that in the process Cincinnati, you know, I was talking to brad Our, quarterback coach as well, and he even reminded me that you know, they weren't taking a quarterback in the draft, but if I did slip outside of the draft, you know, since he was gonna try to be the first call that they make to get me here. So I always appreciated them. But Green Bay, you know, took that shot in the fifth round. You know, I was able to back up Jay Love for a couple of years, and I thought that the bonds that I created in that locker room, I have a lot of respect for how the Packers run their organization.
Speaker 19: It's just a it's a it's a well run show. And I think that it really helped me early in my career to be able to see how it's done. So that way, you know, I.
Speaker 18: Can bring that that energy and that mindset into places like this.
Speaker 17: We're visiting with Sean Clifford. You join the Bengals in September following Joe Burrow's injury. Do all of your Cincinnati friends and family members ask you what's Joe Burrow?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 18: I think it's it's both Joe's now, obviously, you know, being in the in a room full of Joe's and Jake, you know, we have three great minds in that room that that all contribute in different ways. You know, I think that Joe Burrow is somebody who has a lot of experience early He's an elite, elite talent and somebody who I've It's funny if we we lost the game into Minnesota in twenty nineteen in a in a very controversial game that I won't get into because referees in my opinion, but if we win that game, in which we should have, we actually would have played Joe and the LS in the LSU Tigers in the first week of that that playoff. So I've always seen him as a great competitor. I've seen him as somebody who you know, I I have a lot of respect for, and so you know, he provides so much value to that room. And then you add Joe Flacco in the mix, his experience and all the stories that he can tell, different looks and different players he's played with, and how to scheme certain ways.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 19: It truly is.
Speaker 18: Incredible to just see the full picture. And then you layer and again a guy like Jake who's done such a good job of backing up Joe and and coming into big situations and winning games. Very blessed to be a part of this room, and I think it's competitive. I think it's exciting and someone that really pushes not only our room, but the players around us as well to be their best version of the selves and really elevate the competition.
Speaker 17: A few wild card topics now for Bengals quarterback Sean Clifford. Who is your all time favorite athlete in any sport and why?
Speaker 18: I think Kobe's probably an old timer for me, just because of the mindset, the mentality, the mama mentality of I.
Speaker 19: Think he was such a servant leader outside the community.
Speaker 18: I think that he did a lot as you study kind of his life and what he did with his family.
Speaker 19: I think from a.
Speaker 18: Business perspective, he did so much off the field that really really left a mark. From a community perspective, he was always pouring back into kids and being able to really give back.
Speaker 19: To that community.
Speaker 18: But then when you turn on the tape and you watch him in a game, he turns into a complete nutter savage, and I think that that's I think that there's time and place for all.
Speaker 4: That, you know.
Speaker 18: I think that you have to be an upstanding, an upset and a citizen and a good man in the community and I always try to be that, especially now being back in the community that gave me so much. But really, for a guy like that, you know, when when when it's time to play ball, I think it. You know, there is a switch that you can turn on and it's okay to to kind of get aggressive in that situation because you know, all that hard work and dedication that you put in to be able to to.
Speaker 19: Win and to you know, have the chance to win. It's it's it's meaningful.
Speaker 17: Penn State famously wears the most plain uniforms in college football, perhaps all of sports, so bland that they're cool or time for an update.
Speaker 19: Oh they're cool.
Speaker 18: I'm an old school type guy anyway, so I don't think that they need any sort of update. I've always appreciated the tradition and I think that you know, I I grew up watching I wasn't a huge NFL guy until I really started fall in love with the Bengals, but I always appreciate watching college ball and specifically college players, and I just always loved I followed a lot of nerdame traditional program, you know, with a lot of a lot of.
Speaker 19: Good guys, good community guys, and I don't.
Speaker 18: Think I I knew the importance of that when I was just a kid.
Speaker 19: You know, you're just watching them because that they're on TV.
Speaker 18: But you know, I followed some some some great players just because I was just attracted to the way that they held themselves.
Speaker 19: And I think that you find that at Penn State. I think you find that in another day.
Speaker 18: You find it at schools that are traditional. So to answer your question, long so short, Yeah, I love the uniforms.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 17: Final fun fact for Sean Clifford.
Speaker 9: This one's kind of deep.
Speaker 17: If you could meet anybody in history, living or deceased, who would that person be.
Speaker 18: You know, I'm a Christian man, and I think that Jesus would be somebody who I love to meet. You know, I think that it's He's the ultimate messenger and he's the ultimate you know, warrior when it came to doing good in this world.
Speaker 19: And I think that the conversations that.
Speaker 18: You know, I would have and will have one day in my in my opinion, will be magical and really life changing. So, you know, always trying to dive into the word and finding different ways to talk to him in different ways, but having an actual sit down conversation maybe over at dinner.
Speaker 4: It would be really cool.
Speaker 17: Sean, appreciate your Time's great to have you on your hometown team. Best of luck the rest of the year.
Speaker 19: Thank you, who day.
Speaker 4: All right, this Seawan Clifford and Dan Horror with the fantastic fun Facts brought to you by skyl Ontilley. Back on the other side, you're listening to the Bengals PEP Probabley Show broadcasting live from on the right one under these court represented by just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 17: Back to the.
Speaker 4: Bengals PEP Probley Show broadcasting life. I'm on the right one of these Court Street on the Bengals Radio Network, Winning Box Moller, Dave Lapham and Schedule be doing a tight end Eric All at the bottom of the hour going up to five thirty and lap I wanted to talk about Sean Clifford and the model of player sama JP. Ryan talked about this earlier. Know your role, find out where you can fit in, and then take advantage of those opportunities. Some I Jfirans figured out how to stay in this league. But being a great special teams player and a blocker. Sean Clifford, as he told people. Yeah, I may not be that that Joe Burrow. I may not be that Joe Flagele. I'm gonna be a guy that can add some value somewhere in this locker room, in this facility. And he's doing that. He is.
Speaker 5: I mean, most teams have three quarterbacks, two on the active roster, one on the practice squad. It's not a bad living. It's not a bad way to live your life to be a practice squad quarterback like Clifford Uh at this stage of his career and you never know, one injury and you're in a different, a different dynamic, whole new world, and you're at that point if you have not done everything you possibly could to get yourself ready to take advantage of that opportunity. When not, when opportunity knocks, shame on you, you know, I mean, there's there's nobody else that you can blame. You know, you got to make the most of your situation and your individual situation. And Clifford's the type of guy to do That's my J. P. Ryan type of guy to do that. There's a lot of guys in the football team that you know, the last offensive lineman, defensive line and linebacker. I mean, those guys are You're struggling to to to have your NFL career advance another year, you know, pick up another year as a vested player. If you get four, I think it's up to five now, five years of vested seasons, you qualify for a retirement plan. So you know, there's a lot of a lot of things, a lot of goals that you can set for yourself and and and try to knock them off and achieve them one at a time. You know, I respect guys that are that are fighting for their professional lives like these guys are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it makes me think of Orren Berg's who I'm going to share a conversation with, is a guy that, hey, he's been on two Super Bowl teams. He wanted with Philadelphia, but hey, man, I'm a guy that fits. He's bring me in. I'll find a fit. I'll find the way to contribute.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: And that's what makes guys like that special.
Speaker 6: Hits.
Speaker 4: My conversation with Oran Burks, Wayne box Miller with linebacker Oran Berks and Orrin first of all, talk about just being in Cincinnati after spending the time in Philly. Yeah, it's been great, it's been great.
Speaker 20: It's been an awesome city, a great locker room. I really love our linebacker room. We got a close group and our talented guys.
Speaker 4: So they're walking over with open artist. Let's talk about winning the super Bowl before that? What was a pinnacle moment? Prior to winning the Super Bowl? I went to back back.
Speaker 20: I was with the Niners before, so we went to the big game in Vegas and then you know, being able to run it back against this a team with Philly last year was specialist. So you know, I played in a lot of playoff games on the midst of my first year, but you know, when you get into December or January, the games mattered a little bit more.
Speaker 4: So it's always fun to be in the hut for that. Now, have guys in this locker room talked to you about that that that magical moment and what it felt like.
Speaker 20: A little bit, you know, it's it's a recency thing. It's like, this is what we're worried about right now, this team, this this is the year that we're having this journey that we're on. But you know, there's definitely been guys that pick my brain about, you know, different things that I've experienced in my career and not a lot of ups and downs, but you know, still here, you're eight. You know that's that's a blessing in itself, and you know, just taking one day at a time.
Speaker 4: Always ask players when did it go from a game of football to realizing it's a business called football?
Speaker 20: I think pretty early, you know, just the amount of eyes that are on you, the pressure from the outside, and the quicker that you realize you can ignore the outside noise, worry about your internal journey. What's gonna make you the best version of yourself? Being a very teammate, a great houseband, a great father. That's what really matters at.
Speaker 4: End of the day.
Speaker 20: And this is a kid's game that we're fortunate enough to play. But you know you were able to do at a high level. It's gonna be in the league for a long time, So I don't take a day for granted.
Speaker 4: Has it going fast for you?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Fast and slow?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 20: I look around the league and see you guys that were you know, here when I first got in, and you know some of them are out somewhere so in and you know that you definitely don't take it for granted. You know that it's not you know, not promise at all. So every snap, every game, just trying to take advantage of that. But you know, it's it's been it's been a fun journey. I've learned so much about myself and you know, continue to sharpen my tools as I go.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Lastly, culture matters, you know in life and sports and business. What culture trace have you noticed about this team that maybe reminds you of your Super Bowl teams?
Speaker 20: Yeah, I think we're going through a rough pash right now, but gods, just sitting together, That's that's the biggest thing. Is like there's always gonna be somep of adversity. Is how you bounce back. And I feel like we have the character of guys in this locker room to see it through and you know, there's no quit you know, defensively, we've been putting in some tough situation, but you know, we we're able to bounce back, create turnover the good stops and that's the mindset we have to have, you know, to put on our back and be ready to go. So you know that it takes everybody. So I feel like everybody's bought in.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. Always appreciate your time. Many appreciate you. Yeah, that's what one burg said. Again, find a fit. There's only Joe Burrow, there's only one Jamarte, there's only one t Higgins's. There's a lot of guys that are one of one. But there's a lot of guys that can find their way to be that two, two a three whatever it is. To just find a way to stay in this league. And like you say, get those numbers in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And like you guys were talking about, nothing's promised, right, you know, I mean if you if you make it as a rookie, doesn't mean you're gonna make it your second year. I mean it's another whole battle, man, income, a whole new crop of draft picks, income, a bunch of free agents out there, you know, in the National Football League from other teams. You just you have to you have to fight, scratch and claw for every single year that you play in the National Football League. And man, when opportunity knocks, you do have to knock the door down. Man, you have to answer, and you have to answer strongly, because if you play in this in this league for five years and get yourself vested for retirement, that's a hell of an accomplishment.
Speaker 4: It is. Tanner Hudson had a great point today. We were talking the interview later in the season, but he said every year the coaches get was considered a new toy. He said about another pick. And that's a great way to say it. It's a new toy. Like what what what can this guy do? What can he do? U? Can he block any cats?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: He can do both? Oh, look at the sign of you. Oh I forgot about you over there. Yeah, I'm so ight enamored with this. But it is uh, it's always Uh. I'm trying to remember the player that told me he was on a series of one year contracts and he had a multi year deal, but he said, really, hey, I'm just on I'm on a year to year contract. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 5: Whoever, that guy is a wise man because you know, unless you can have a series you can have a five year contract, but unless it's guaranteed money, right, you are on a series of one year contracts. You know, it's like you're you're in a competitive environment, like we talked about, you have to win your job every single season that you play. And uh, you know, I feel like I was blessed man to get ten years in the National Football League because every single one of them. Man, you were scrapping in fighting for your job due no doubt.
Speaker 4: No question about it. We'll take a break and come back look at some one on one matchups later. The Bobbom of the hour going up to the top. Eric all have joined us. It's the Bengals part Rally Show broadcasting on the Ryane one under Court three, presented by Just beara Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. Welcome back to the Bengals part Rollley Show broadcasting Live man on the RYE one under these Court Street, presented by Just Bear of Chicken, Wayne Box Miller of Dave Lap I'm glad to have you aboard and uh man, what a game coming up the New England Patriots. Uh since a Bengals will Joe play? Yes he will? Yes he will. I don't know if his last name is a girl or flag old.
Speaker 6: But.
Speaker 4: There's a Joe gonna be out there.
Speaker 6: You know that.
Speaker 4: We always look at the matchups, kind of one on one matchups, and then I think, for me, Uh, I want to see what t Higgins says. I don't believe that a coach will double him until it's gonna put him probably in some great opportunities to go one on one and then also, uh, you know with the Bengals offensive line. I tell you, I thought. I told him Maris Mems today, I thought he played TJ Widde as well as anybody's played TZ. And he said, all the way beat me a couple of times. I said, yeah, he's a future Hall of Famer. You know, he beats you a couple I said, but you were all over that guy. He made TJ's day long, he did.
Speaker 5: I mean, Mims is a special talent man. The guys, you know, really, Orlando Brown and Amarius Mems are genetic freaks, genetic marvels. There's not many guys walking around planet Earth six', eight three hundred and fifty pounds or thereabouts that have the athletic ability and the skill set and the movements abilities that these guys. HAVE i, mean it, is it's really really. CRAZY i, Mean mims is so, fluid, Man he's so, smooth it looks. Effortless it almost looks like he doesn't really have to. Try you, know it's so easy for him from from a physical athletic, Standpoint and now he's getting taught some additional techniques and. Fundamentals they're really going to help. Him he's expanding his toolbox as. Such AND i mean if you can if you can handle an edge rusher like, that, yeah what one on one and uh and shut him down a, high high percentage of the. Time that speaks, well, man there's Not there's not many or Any i've got it off the edge THAN. Tj watt he. Was he's legit And men's played a hell of a.
Speaker 4: Game all. Right, well let's take a quick look at the playoff standings as they are right. Now obviously we know that it's not but the number one see right, now The broncos at nine and, two and The patriots are the number two seed at nine and. Two The bengals or not out of. It they have a percentage of a chance if they, win right but, again if they. Win you look At buffalo lost last. Night they didn't look good the last couple of. Weeks Now i've been. Beat The bengals are in the twelfth spot right, now going up against a team in the number two. Spot and if you look ahead of, them The, jaguars The, texans The, chiefs The ravens are in the ten, spot The dolphins. Eleven they've got The dolphins coming, up, Yep they've got The ravens coming up. Twice they've got The bills coming. Up so they've got some of their own destiny in their. Hands if they could knock off some of these teams and put themselves in a better.
Speaker 5: Position they have the higher seeded teams that they're going to be playing down the stretch of the. Season that's all you can ask, for you, know if you're if you're a player in The National Football, League because if they weren't playing teams that were potential seeds in the playoffs and beat, them knocked them, off if that team that is seated higher than you ends up playing the team of lesser caliber and knocks, on there's no nothing. Changes everybody stays the. Same so they do the way the schedule. Falls they do have some head to head, matchups they're gonna have a significant impact on the way they finish the. Season where they end up during the. Season now my saying they're going to be a death playoff, team, No i'm not saying. That but AM i saying they have an opportunity to make some noise and and spoil the playoff opportunities for other. TEAMS i mean sometimes playing a, spoiler you, know gives you a little bit of juice at the end of the season. Too you, KNOW i may not be going, anywhere But i'm gonna make sure that dog not going, either you know.
Speaker 4: The question about. It we'll take a quick break and come. Back it's The bengals pep Rally so broadcasting. Life i'm on The ride one hundred These Court tree presented by Just Bear chicken on The Bengals Radio. Network welcome back to The bengals pep Rally so broadcasting live from on The ride one hundred These Court, tree presented by Just Bear, Chicken wayne Box, Miller dave Lap i'm glad to have you. Boar thank you to everybody that came out that's sitting and riding with. Us eric all in traffic en route to join us in the last, hour which is a weird hour because it's four thirty to five thirty five to, six, Right but the injury report is out lap and it looks like The patriots don't have anything to worry.
Speaker 5: About, yeah it's, uh The patriots are are pretty healthy and and that that's usually what happens when you're nine and two football. Team you, know one of the reasons you're nine to two is you have had some fortunate luck in terms of avoiding. Injury but the little bumps and bruises and nicks that you, get they don't slow you.
Speaker 4: Down.
Speaker 5: Man it's, like you, know no, PROBLEM i CAN i can deal with. This, yeah The patriots all hands are On deckatt looks.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah they got only the, Linebacker Jilani. TAVAI i Hope i'm saying his name. Correctly he's the only guy that's. Out Trey hendrickson's out, again AND i remember that injury and that just didn't look good when it, happened, man and he's nursing that one in a big. Way so he's. Out Cam taylor brit is also. Out and one of the player's been ruled out for the, game and That's Cam. Sample so most of the frontline guys are good to. Go we'll see what happens with. That but that's a tough. One. Man you're nine and. Two you got to chance to be a double digit win team in THE. Nfl this, early you can best believe that they're going to be jumping all over that because you're trying to play to get some rest with some of these. Guys So denver is nine and, two The eagles are eight and. Two they've got a game coming up this, week but you know they could be the first team with double digit wins and right your lap this. Season these seasons get. LONG i remember THE nfl was fourteen games and sixteen. Games now at seventeen. Games it's a lot of.
Speaker 5: Football it is a ton of. Football and right, now The patriots and the number one seed in THE. Afc there's only ONE nfc team with a better record than. Them so you know, they're like you, Said, box they're playing for the. Seed they're playing for that number one, seed and you know they want to stay. Healthy they want guys to be able to participate at the highest level when it comes to the. Playoffs get through the regular season as healthy as you possibly, can and nurse those Little nixon bumps and, bruises Because i'm telling you from, experience when you get to the, playoffs it turns, up, Man it ratches, up ratches up a couple of a couple of, notches and guys are flying around the. FIELD i, MEAN i look at THE i look at the speed of The New England patriots defense on. Tape, yeah they can, run, Man i'm telling, You rabel has got them flying around the football. FIELD i, mean they are just they're making very very quick, reads quick, decisions and reacting from. There coming, downhill everything is, attack, attack. Attack they attack, players they attack the, football they attack everything on the football. Field, so, uh you, know it's it's going to be a, full full day's work for The Cincinnati, bengals there's no.
Speaker 4: Question And nicole talked about it in the first. Hour you, know you Bring landry up and bring a guy that knows my he knows my my, system but he knows me, right and he can tell guys in the locker, room, hey, DUDE i saw what you're doing out to let me, Jays i'm. Brave donplay that, man right you and to tighten that up when you get back out, here and that that kind of information sharing is. Valuable it.
Speaker 5: IS i, mean a head coach likes to have assistant coaches that know what he's all, about what his program is, like how he wants to teach, it the type of player he wants to be.
Speaker 4: In that in that.
Speaker 5: Organization that's the assistance players, too players, like, hey, man you get to shake yourself bravees ain't gonna like that right the way you're the way you're handling, that the way you're handling business ain't good.
Speaker 6: Enough.
Speaker 5: Man you're gonna have to do pick it up or. Not you're gonna have to get your nose in a playbook if you don't know what you're, doing or you, know make sure that you get in the weight room or do something to make sure you can get off a block and be where he's supposed to be when you're supposed to be, there BECAUSE i, mean his expectations are a lot higher than what you're putting out in the football field right.
Speaker 4: Now you, know lap how long does it take for a, guy you know when when someone like a variable comes. IN i, Mean i'm sure for some guys that becomes a media but for guys to recognize and realize is that maybe one or two practices where a coach like that might stop practice or just kind of, say, hey, GUYS i don't know what happened last, YEAR i don't know what you used, to but here's here's WHAT i expect and it's starting. Today it needs to.
Speaker 5: Happen, yeah and you're. RIGHT i Mean i've seen. It i've been on the football field when our, coach you, know stops practice, says this is Horse, bucky, right this is this isn't this ISN'T nfl caliber. Football go back in the locker. Room i've had coaches, say, really go back in the locker. Room start over. Again let's just start the whole. Thing erase the ten minutes fifteen minutes took place, here because it's a waste of our. Lives, man it's a waste of. Time go back in, there come back out and let's have a full. Practice let's get after. It and usually the intensity level after that takes.
Speaker 4: Place. Right that's strong right? There oh, yeah oh, yeah that's. Strong right. There we'll take a. Break we'll come. Back we're waiting on our tight End Eric all to join. Us The bengals Pet roley so Broadcasting. Life i'm on The, ride presented By Just Bear kicking on The Bengals Radio.
Speaker 2: Network this Is Bengals Pemp role presented By Just bear And chicken on The Bengals Radio.
Speaker 3: Network.
Speaker 2: Pacor pacor is proud to be the OFFICIAL hr software provider of The Cincinnati. Bengals Kettering Health Best care for the Best. Fans Kettering, health official healthcare provider of The Cincinnati. Bengals this IS espn fifteen, thirty the official home of The Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: Bengals welcome back to The bengals Pep Rowley, show broadcasting live from on The ryde one. Hundred these court reepresented by Just Barrett, Chicken wayne Box, Mellow Dave, lapham And eric ols is En. Root he says he'd be. There let's says eta is probably ten to twelve minutes traffic BEING i guess everybody's coming to THE ucufl, game to The Elder sex. GAME i know there are other football. Games someone, said, Hey, wayne they're more Than. Locker there's more Than elder In santex playing. Football AND i Know middletown is playing. Tonight they've done. WELL i think the last two games they haven't given up a point in eight, Quarters so that's gonna be a good game as. Well but don't forget by the pregame at The bank's happening before all regular Season bengal home games with live music outdoor, games planning to do for all ages the perfect pregame stop Visit bengals dot com slash jungles on for more information and give a shout out to who they hanging out with? Us Who they's looking, great very. Slim he's been in the. Gym WHO i Think whoday's yoked up? There, MAN i don't know if that's legitimate how he did that or, not but, hey you look. Good who? They the guns are looking, good the quads, everything, man the guns are. Loaded. Man who they is ready to rock and, roll no question about, it you. Know Lap as we wait On eric to get here and talk About Yo joy both say we interviewed. HIM i did a long time. Ago but this this sports medicine and nutrition and all the other things trying to keep guys on the. Field, man this stuff has got has become so serious and such an investment because number, one it. Works number, two the advancement of technology and these underwater treadmills and all these other. Things it's crazy the technology that you didn't have that these guys.
Speaker 5: Have, no you're, RIGHT i mean back back in the, DAY i mean they. Would they did do a pretty good job, of you, know making sure track your, diet particularly during training. Camp we had three PRACTICES a day in like you, know ninety eight degree one and ten percent, humidity you, know days up In Womanton. College and then you, know we did, train lifted after practice three days a week during the off, season worked out every single day really either lifting or. Running but not to the level that these guys. ARE i, mean it is the the advancement and the the understanding of what they know now about the human body compared back. Then you, know it's, like, man it's the human body is an unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Machine it.
Speaker 5: Is it's it's incredible the things that it can. Do and, really you look at some of these, guys like we talked about the, tandem the duo of offensive, Tackles, yeah six, eight three fifty.
Speaker 4: To do what they can.
Speaker 5: Do and you know with the size that they, are the size speed, ratio the size strength ratios of these, players and a lot of it is due to the advancements in the, diet in the training that these guys put themselves.
Speaker 4: Through, well and you know the thing About orlando And mims and really a lot of other, guys But i'm just talking about these sure to be that big and have that kind of, Footwork, yeah these guys could be On dance with The. Stars, MAN i, MEAN i See Orlando brown is so quick with that first step And mims it just keeps his feet going a. Lot it's just from head to. Toe. Literally they they are. Freaks they are they.
Speaker 5: ARE i, mean it's it's, like you, know they have a quick, synapse you, know whatever it is that connects the nerve endings or whatever in the human. BODY i, mean their reactions are are. Incredible they have tremendous reflexes for men of their, size and they can change, direction uh with the best of. Them and then with that size and, strength once they change directions on, you they're gonna finish.
Speaker 4: You there's no, question no question about. It you. Know one THING i wanted to say real quickly a side, Note bengal, fans thank. You this has been a tough. Year but, man that stadium is still. Packed, yep people are still. Cheering we got fans here today who they nation is alive and. Well AND i looked at that game of the last home game and just looked at that crowd h AND i, thought, man these fans really are saying that we're going to stand behind you no matter. What and as a, player you, know you. PLAY i mean to look up there and know, that, hey we're having a rough, goal but you guys are still with us means a, lot it, does you.
Speaker 5: Know and fan is short for, Fanatic, yes and that's where that's where a fan originates from the word, fanatic and.
Speaker 4: Fanatic sounds like it's. Negative it's, not.
Speaker 5: THOUGH i, mean it's like you're just you're totally, invested your heart and, soul everything is with that particular, team with that football, team and it can be a bonding a bonding thing with families and, neighborhoods. FRIENDS i, mean you, know a professional team in your city can be a bonding scenario for the entire.
Speaker 4: City, YEAH i was going to get back to that playoff. Picture one of the THINGS i was thinking about, was you, know this week The bengals, win they could probably leap frog over The, dolphins and then they get The, ravens who are two spots ahead of, them, right and you go after. Them buffalo is, struggling but then you get The ravens in two more. Weeks you think about just those, three the two Opportunities New england And, baltimore and you play one game at a. Time But i'm just looking at this pair of. Games you win those two, games the playoff, picture, yeah turns significantly towards you because the two people that you beat are ahead of.
Speaker 5: You, yeah they're ahead of. You and uh and and then of Course baltimore is in your. Division so you, know you take care of business.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 5: Man, now now you're in very high, cotton you. Know So, YEAH i, mean it's it's far from. Over it's it's not a foregone conclusion that The Cincinnati bengals are done for the season in terms of playoff. Possibilities they have a long road ahead of. Them you're gonna have to run about six in a. Row, Yeah i'd love to see him going a six game winning.
Speaker 4: Streak that would be.
Speaker 5: Great it's it's a. CHALLENGE i, mean no one's no one's saying it's gonna be. Easy that's for damn sure of.
Speaker 13: That.
Speaker 5: Uh you, know take them one at a time and see how many you can stack, together no.
Speaker 4: Question just to give you an idea That lap has always talked about winning these division games and how important they. Are here are the tiebreakers and how it goes down head to, head best one lost time percentage game between the. Clubs best one lost time percent is played within the, division, right so up, there, yeah third. Tiebreaker, yeah and so you're looking at that head to, head so you, know if you can beat them in head to, head you will go. Too and oh against The ravens and you're, tired you're out right. Away if, not then they're gonna look at what you both did in the same. Division.
Speaker 5: Right so if you go two and, oh that's. Great but if you're one and, one now what's the overall? Division right, now you're start incorporating other, teams you, know it's it's not just it's not just The, ravens The, Ravens steelers And.
Speaker 4: Browns. Yeah then after that best one lost time percentage in common, games so obviously in your, division and then everybody that you, played and then after that best one lost time percentage games played within the. Conference so we're talking about winning THOSE afc, games how critical those. Are but the division starts. First you gotta win those games in the, division. Right. Uh and like you, said if you can go two for in the, division, man which is, oh that's. Big and and really you look.
Speaker 5: At how THE nfl schedules now the entire, division, uh, direct the teams they play are not just the division, teams but the out of division teams are the. SAME i mean top to, bottom you, know so they can go through all those tie, breakers you can get to tie breaker number, six seven to eight because they're all common, opponents you, know so the only the only. DIFFERENCE a lot of, times THE afc stays similar throughout the entire, schedule THE, nfc The National Football conferences that may you may, have.
Speaker 4: You, know two out of four that are.
Speaker 5: Similar three out of four, maybe but there's gonna be one or two that don't have a there's no common denominated from a tiebreaker, standpoint.
Speaker 4: No question about. It. Uh this is another example of one game season is because you go To, pittsburgh it didn't turn out. WELL a lot of things happen that second, half especially with points off. Turnovers england is dead even you, know they don't have a plus one or minus. One we're at a, differential you. Know my, say so this is a. Game but one of the stats that stuck out to me lap was the defense for The patriots is ranked thirty first in the league in the red zone as far as. Touchdowns so if you can get in the red zone against this. Team statistically, right you should be able to put some sevens up instead of. Threes and that surprises me a little. Bit with me, TOO i will WHEN i saw.
Speaker 5: That, Yeah and you, know usually it's Like ben but don't, break you, know Or Mike rabel defense will between the. Twenties it'll be a track. Meet and then you get in the in the red, zone inside the twenty and inside the, ten the low red, zone they buckle, down you, know and you might you might be able to kick a field. Goal and that's that's about. It so, yeah it's going to be. Interesting hopefully the hopefully The bengals can put a few tuddies up on the. Board man love to see them score four touchdowns in that game against The patriots and kick a field old the boot and win the game like, thirty.
Speaker 4: No question about. It we'll take a, break come. Back we're waiting on air. Call he's en, rude he'll be joining. Us it's A bengals Peper. Rowdy so broadcasts a live from on THE rye one Hundred these courts represented by Just Bear chicken on The Bengals Radio. Network welcome back to The bengals Pepar rowdy so broadcast a live from on THE rye one. Hundred these court represented by Just Bear, Chicken wayne Box pill Of Dave. Lap i'm soon to be arriving their call. Traffic give him a. Break you know so much going on downtown. Today the weather's. Ugly it doesn't. Matter we had a big football game coming. Up it is a one game season yet. Again AND i remember last Year, lap this was the same scenario and his team got, hot and they got on the roll and they start, winning but unfortunately they was in the hands of somebody other than. Them and you've preached That i've been doing in radio with you for a long. Time you've preached that at the beginning of every, season you don't want to put it in the hands of somebody.
Speaker 5: Else the old, saying And Paul brown was the FIRST i ever heard say. It, men we want to control our own. Destiny we don't want others to have to win football games and beat teams that they have to beat for us to advance to the. Playoffs we want to control our own. Destiny we don't want to rely on anybody. Else that's dicey. Business he used that, term that's tight dicey. Business when your approach is like. That take care of your own. Business go out there and play your brand of, football and go into the playoffs, hot going to the playoffs.
Speaker 4: On an, uptick going to the playoffs on a four.
Speaker 5: Or five game winning. Streak love to see The bengals on a six game winning. Streak they went out that dog would hunt right, there.
Speaker 4: No, question you. Know looking back at That jets game when they Played New, England New england only averaged two point four yards on the ground. RUSHING i, mean Trade Bon henderson had a big. Game he had three, touchdowns two rushing and one, catching but Even may only had one touchdown. Throwing it wasn't a stellar. Performance you look at the score twenty seven to. Fourteen it wasn't like they just blew the doors off the. Game but they're very. Efficient they win when the opportunity is there for them to. WIN i think that's the mark of a variable team is they don't beat. Themselves it may be, ugly it may not be, pretty but they have some soft spots on both sides of the ball that The bengals can capitalize.
Speaker 5: On, yeah they, do and most teams in THE nfl. DO i, mean there are matchups that The bengals are gonna be able to take advantage. Of and the key is will you be able to take advantage of them to the point where you can win the football? Game is is it going to be that big of a difference?
Speaker 6: Maker The.
Speaker 5: Patriots have done a good. Job all three phases have supported each. Other, offensively they've been dynamics some games are the games just average and the games that their average defense has been, dynamic the games when they're they're. Dynamic the offensively the defense is. AVERAGE i mean that to me is the sign of a very good football, team because you're not gonna have all three phases clicking at the highest possible level on an every week. Basis you could do you know you're gonna go on the. Feeder you're gonna be the you, know Dub bears or somebody like, that, right and those those type of seasons are few and far. Between so it's which team can play complimentary? Football which which team can have one phase support the other and get through the season with as many victories as.
Speaker 4: Possible, well here's a stat of it throw out at. You The jets in That thursday night game twenty eight carries one hundred and forty yards average five yards of carry against this, defense and the Way Chase brown has been, running there could be some big plays waiting to.
Speaker 5: Happen, Yeah, Chase Chase BROWN i think has had a very very good year for The Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: BENGALS i, Mean chase is a five foot eight five.
Speaker 5: Foot nine hundred and fifteen pound. Juggernaut the dude is A he's he's just.
Speaker 4: A ball of. Energy.
Speaker 5: Man he he plays the game. Hard he plays every snap like it's his. Last yes and uh. Man he he cherishes every opportunity that he gets to run the, football and he wants to maximize. It he wants to finish every single run as hard as he possibly. Can he wants to fall forward with the football every time he's carrying the, football not get knocked.
Speaker 4: Back.
Speaker 5: Uh he he also is a is an outstanding receiver of the. Football he catches it well out of the. Backfield he's he's as good as there is in the league as a running back catching the ball out of the, backfield runs good routes out of the. Backfield he's got tremendous. Speed he Can. Uh sometimes running backs that are fast don't necessarily run good football, routes, right he, does he, does he changes, direction he he he gets things done in terms of route running and breaking himself, open particularly when they decide, to you, know play one on one coverage on, him which they do a. Lot a lot of running backs get one on one coverage out of the backfield and. Uh and then the final thing he, does which is really. Outstanding he'll stick his nose right in the middle of a linebacker's chest and When blitz pick up and slimmy, him stunn, him knock him. Backwards he's a complete football player.
Speaker 4: Now he does it. All AND i like his north to south running out Of. Toude you know a lot of running backs want to dance and look for that perfect. Hole and, Yeah Jase brown gets the ball and he makes a. Decision you, know nine tunds out of, ten he's not going to. Change he's going for like you, said he's. Juggernaut but and the great thing is he's so. Close last week it was three or four times man with just almost oh my, goodness, man one last, guy one last. Guy he gets it. DONE i think that whoever the quarterback is this, WEEK i think AND i say that because we don't, know but whoever the quarterback is this, WEEK i think that he's going to be a vital part of that passing game because a lot of times that With Jamar chase gone AND T higgins out, There, Yo Si vosh, obviously and whoever becomes that third, receiver he may be the third receiver in choice out in, lineup but in. Choice so getting him out in open, space, man there's going to be an opportunity for him once, again that guy could get if he be set first guy with his speed and his north south, running he could have some big plays.
Speaker 5: Well and you got a case Where Zach taylor And Dan pitcher will they'll put him in the slot as a slot. RECEIVER i mean they've they've done. Him line them up, there you, know intentionally and saying you know, what go ahead and walk your linebacker out, there because if he's a running, back have two backs in the, backfield you got have two linebackers in there and walk him. Out get a matchup on a linebacker and or you, know if it's only he's the single back and you go empty backfield and put him out, there you got a safety on him and they feel comfortable that he can win those one on one matchups against linebackers and, safeties and he's gonna win a big number of.
Speaker 4: Them So.
Speaker 5: Brown is going to be a very very key integral part of this football. Game keep an eye on. Him if he rushes for one hundred yards and catches the for, Fifty bengals. WIN i Think bengals win by a.
Speaker 4: Score. Yeah you, know one of the THINGS i was looking at that game against The. Bengals you, know we like those miscellaneous, stats AND i looked at how many big plays The steelers had against The, bengals and you, know it's always a tail tale sign you just can't have that many big. Plays and seemed like to jump off the page with this team if you can cut down on three or four big, plays even Because i've always Believed eric Et, thomas WHO i used to do radio WHERE i say boxes is gonna come down to a couple of big plays in a game and you just have to make them and keep them from making them right right.
Speaker 5: ON i, Mean et knows exactly what he's talking. ABOUT a great player for a long time for The Cincinnati. Bengals and, man if you, can you, know get three or four players of fifty yards or more makes the game a hell of a lot. Easier you, know it's much easier on the play. Caller and sometimes they come, by you, know simon error by the. Defense sometimes it comes by excellence of execution by the offensive. Player but, man if you can bust one fifty yards and more for a, touchdown or bust one fifty yards more put you in the red zone inside the twenty or low rid zone inside the ten and finishing off with a touchdown and not a field, goal you're in high.
Speaker 4: Cotton. Man, yeah speaking of high, cotton let's praise a special teams. MAN i tell you, What they've had a really good. YEAR i, Mean Charlie jones is the big. Return But ivan McPherson looks like they have a mcpheerson from a couple of years. AGO i, mean looks, good his, motion his, form looks like he's just comfortable out there. Kicking but they've also not given up a big play on the special.
Speaker 5: Teams, Yeah Darren simmons is done a good. JOB i don't think there's a better special teams coach in The National Football league Than Darren. Simmons nobody puts more time into. It nobody's more dedicated to it Than Darren. SIMMONS i, mean he burns the midnight. Oil he eats up hours putting together game plans for his special teams. Unit And Charlie jones ninety eight yard kickoff return touchdown. Huge but you're, Right Money mack is knocking the heck out of the football. Man and he's getting quick. Elevation he's getting quick height on his field, goals not just, length but getting that ball up quickly so people can't deflect it or block. It AND i watched him on the sideline of practice and pregame during the, game the actual, pregame and then prior to his kicks on the sideline during the. Game he'll put like a bottle down and snap and hold and he'll kick his kicking. Motion that bottle's right next to the football where the ball. Spotted really and if his his if his mechanics are off at, all he's kicking that plastic bottle and it's going to distort the whole. Thing and he's a. Machine he's. Kicking his his swing is the exact. Same it's, like, man this looks like a mimorigraph. Machine it's unbelievable and uh, yeah that's a that's a nice little trick he's got.
Speaker 4: Yea and the other PERSON i wanted to talk about Was Ryan. Rico fifty three point one you talked. About you always say he's got a howartz are hanging off of that, foot but he can get that ball in the air and get it. Deep but people don't realize fifty three point one is a magical. Number That's Pro bowl type. Number it really.
Speaker 5: Is and he's another one that gets some significant. HEIGHT i mean he crushes the ball both distance and. Verticality AND i don't think there's a tandem of a duo of kickers in The National Football league that get the hangtime and the height on their kicks both place kicking and punting the football as the two that The Cincinnati bengals have working for, them no question about.
Speaker 4: It we'll take a break and come back here. Again we're. Waiting our tight end is on the way en. Route we got the message from, him so be pacing with. Us we'll take a. Break you're listening to The. Bengals Pep rowley so Broadcasting life from on THE rye one Hundred Central parkway presented by just bear chicking on The Bengals Radio. Network welcome back to The bengals Pep rowley so broadcasting life from on The, ride one Hundred Central Park Court, Street wayne Box, Millow Dave lapham and our special guests in the. Building, yes sir From Fairfield High school by wayam Michigin. Iowa ladies dum And. Eric oh, Sure, eric all in the, house, baby get your headphones, on get your set. Up, MAN i know traffic was. Crazy thank you for making the, effort, MAN i appreciate. It how are you doing? Well i'm, good, Man i'm. Good it's, uh it's good to have you. Here and you, see the fans are happy to have you. HERE i told them that there was a guy on the team that looked almost as good as. Me so we can settle the argument right. Now see who y'all.
Speaker 6: THINK i think you?
Speaker 1: Got, well let's get to the first.
Speaker 4: Thing how how's rehabbing going?
Speaker 10: On?
Speaker 4: Everything?
Speaker 6: Oh really really?
Speaker 1: Good, no, no really huge, complaints you know, besides you, know getting a little irritated here and. There BUT i feel fun And i've been. Running i've been ACTUALLY i THINK i might be faster THAN i was BEFORE i got, Heard, yeah that's. Great things are things are going.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah that's what we were talking about a little, bit the way medical medicine is. Today, said you, Know, Eric, oh when this is all, done he may be faster than he was when he when he started his career here with The Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: Bengals.
Speaker 1: YEAH i THINK i THINK i, am especially from SINCE i WAS i was a little bit, faster you, know WHEN i was At. Iowa But i'm putting up higher numbers THAN i did last year so, far so on the little catapult figures that we, Were.
Speaker 5: How frustrating is it because you're in speaking with the, coaches you're you're a guy that can catch the football and block and do both proficiently at a very very, high high, level whereas the other guys in the tight end Group Drew samples a blocker more than a, Receiver mikeasicki's more of a receiver than a. Blocker but they were looking at you as the guy who's going to get a high percentage of the snaffs.
Speaker 4: Because your ability to do both equally.
Speaker 5: Well and at a high. Level how much does it stink that you get hurt and can't have that kind of.
Speaker 1: Season, well you, know it's it's kind of tough because you know It's god's plan and you, know you, KNOW i just really believe, that you, know he has a plan for. Me so you, know it's it sucks to not be able to, play but you, KNOW i JUST i just, trust you, know The, lord and And i'll Be i'll be, fine no question about. It and you, know we got we gotta we got no, offense and he he does both pretty.
Speaker 4: Well and AND i forgot about.
Speaker 6: Knowing And, Mike, mike he's he's actually out out right, now but he should be back.
Speaker 1: Soon but those guys are those guys are are doing are doing, well and and The titans aren't really The titans haven't really fell. Off you, know if if whether IF i was there and, not you, know we would always be.
Speaker 4: Fine so, yeah you're you're from a city where high school football is, big you, know big games tonight and not just down To, acre but Also middletown's playing a night and you a fair. Field you guys were, competitive you were all. State uh just talk about high school football in this. Area, man it's a big deal in.
Speaker 6: It, yeah, YEAH i grew up off of.
Speaker 1: It that's you, Know my first love for football was you, know being being little and going to the games On friday and you, know seeing all my friends.
Speaker 6: Were the kid that was under the bleachers playing too and. Tag it's just it's.
Speaker 4: Great you.
Speaker 1: Know, UH i haven't really been out to too many games this year because of my knee and, all but last YEAR i was pretty much at a at a high school game every. Week and it's still it's still the, same getting packed and a lot of.
Speaker 4: People when the recruiters come To. Cincinnati, man, yeah you get people coming from, everywhere right they they do so looking looking at, YOU i, MEAN i look at.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 5: Man you're A you're a big. Guy you're a big, physical, uh strong bodied. Guy and and to be able to to do you know what you do at the tight end, position like we're talking, about able to catch the. Football, uh you, know have the athletic ability to do, that have the ability to run good, routes be able to change the, direction get yourself, open snag the, football pluck it out of the, air put it. Away nobody can knock it out of your. Possession and and then and then you, know getting the line of scrimmage is like a third tackle and and at the end of the line of scrimmage and knock people, around or you, know even as they've utilized you out in the, slot put you out in the slot and, say, okay, long you're gonna move a linebacker out there and, Cover you're gonna bring safety?
Speaker 4: Down what are you gonna do to to cover Eric? ALL i know the coaches.
Speaker 5: Feel like we were so looking forward to having Having Eric all doing all this for. Us how anxious are you to get back into the action and show JUST i haven't lost the. Thing in, Fact i'm better THAN i, was you know before the.
Speaker 6: Injury you, know it's it's.
Speaker 1: There I'm i'm really eager to get back and and, everything especially now you, know not actually being, hurt LIKE i feel fine on running routes and you, know doing all these different drills that you, know so it's it kind of it leads a nasty taste in my, mouth you, know BECAUSE i can be out, there but IT'S i just. Can't it's just how it, WORKS i. Guess you, know once you're once you know have that you, know significant of an. Injury you, know they don't they don't want to rush you back or, anything but you, Know it sucks just every day just going into the facility and just knowing that you're, fine knowing that you can, play and but you you gotta, wait ye get that green.
Speaker 4: Light, well you can do commercials in your spare. Time, Well i'm saying that many people don't know That eric AND i did commercials. Together, yeah we did a commercial for a doctor Swap Kingdom. Family that's been like four years.
Speaker 6: AGO i think that's been or maybe. Longer, yeah what is? That was krobab of like twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Two, yeah commercially annist commercial and it.
Speaker 4: Was a kid From Ohio state because she so here's the, thing she has a practice with another. Dentist she's A michigan grand And michigan throwing through and the other dentist Is Ohio state. Grad and so it was a playoff the, rivalry but they're running back From Ohio. STATE i Came Williamson williams and SO i was a reporter and he did a great, jobs like football is. OVER i mean you may have have it in his. Future.
Speaker 6: Man it was like a whole acting.
Speaker 4: Job it was we had scripts the whole. Night that's, cool. Man, Yeah and so that that was. FUNNY i have to resurrect that and upload that again on social.
Speaker 6: Media, yeah it's on My it's On.
Speaker 4: Instagram, okay, yeah you have THE cot tag me on that SO i can put. ON i don't need the extra. Attention you know, what one of the things THAT i like about you and have always liked about you WHEN i met you was it's such a gracious young. Man you had such a tough, story you, know your, life the way your life, unfolded and you know your faith In god had to be ever presentent you and the people around you to get to where you. Are but just talk about how your faith has carried you through the ups and downs of. Life even like you, said right, now your faith is, there but it's really grounded to.
Speaker 1: THIS i, mean when you really believe that you know That, god That, god it really has your. Back it's really there's really nothing nothing really like, it because you, can you, know you can go through all these different types of things and and different, setbacks but when you Know god has your, back it brings this this great feeling of relief over over.
Speaker 6: You and and really like WHEN i got, hurt.
Speaker 1: You, know it sucked AND i was in the locker room upset and and you know by the end of the, game you, know it's just you're just, like, well this is what you this is what.
Speaker 6: Happens it's the.
Speaker 1: Cars you've been dealt when you when you put your faith In god and you go to church and and you, know and you pray and you don't you don't really worry about those type of. Things you, know you, know he has your best. Friend you know who you, are and as long as you get out and work and live your life through, him you know you'll be.
Speaker 4: Fine all, right, Man we'll take a. Break come. Back we're With Eric. Hall since At bengals Is Wayne Box, Smeller Dave lap them The bengals Pep rowley is show right here and on The ryde on The Bengals Radio. Network back said The bengals Pep Rowley Show Broadcasting. Life i'm on The ryde right here on The Bengals Radio network for done about just fair Of, Chicken Wayne Box smell of The Dave Lap i'm tight. Ended Eric, All Uh cincinnati kid And uh just a delightful young. Man i'm so happy to have him here with.
Speaker 6: Us.
Speaker 4: Uh one of the THINGS i wanted to ask you about this locker. ROOM i tell people all the, Time I've i've been around football for a long time in, sports but the chemistry in this locker. Room AND i saw something today because people, think, oh the losing, Probably, no this team is so close and so. Cool today at, LUNCH i saw uh tight ends eating with offensive, linemen eating with defensive, backs eating with. It just guys like each other in this locker, room don't They.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah of course they. Do you, know it's many different, positions you, know they come. Together and that's rare because WHEN i was in, college it was kind of like the tight ends stuck with the tight, ends the line stuck with THE o. Line maybe the tight ends might you, know get to talking with THE o, line but, never rarely did you see the wide receivers and the tight ends and the dbs and the. Linebackers but when you get, here like everybody talks to. Everybody everyone's cool with, everybody and no matter if someone's making hundreds of millions of, dollars just kids in the locker room that are making you, know like ten thousand, dollars and yet you they still talk to each. Other everyone is cool and and everyone is welcoming AND i think it's a great environment for, Sure.
Speaker 4: New England patriots first game you. Played, Yeah SO i saw that today AND i looked AT i, said, man has got to bring a smile to your. Place do you remember the feeling you had that you out on the field and you're making your first, Place LIKE i am AN nfl player as of right, now it was it.
Speaker 1: Was i'm trying to remember because you know when you're that nervous and hitting, things so BUT i remember just wanting to get out there and hit somebody and just to see what it was like at that in this. Level AND i was kind OF i was kind of unimpressed BECAUSE i was expecting for it to be a lot, better BUT i was going against the kind of like a smaller type of D. N but BUT i remember it being being really fun and it's it being like the game's ending.
Speaker 6: A lot earlier than they do in.
Speaker 5: College so, Yeah so the tight end position with The Cincinnati bengals in, general the tight end position in THE nfl is a very unique important. Position can be a third tackle in the running, game you made an extra receiver in the passing. Game you know the versatility that it requires to play that. Position how important is the tight end position to The Cincinnati bengals offense, Specifically it's really.
Speaker 1: IMPORTANT i feel like a lot of the, times you, know the tight end position is kind of slept, On like the things that that we have to do is really. Important like you know past pro or you, know a backside of a of a run. Play things like that are very important, because for, example the backside of the inside zone the D. N if you if you ain't blocking that D, n he's there every, time and that's really jump starts to.
Speaker 6: Play it's like the most important block on the on the. Play but.
Speaker 1: BUT i feel LIKE i love it, because you, know we it's a gritty you gotta be, real real. Tough you gotta be you can't be. Soft you can't just go out there and run route like Even Mike disicky has the block and he. Does, Yeah and you, KNOW i love being like the position on the team to have to know everything on the, field well when it comes to the offensive side of.
Speaker 6: Things but it's just it's a unique position for.
Speaker 4: Sure do you think The Big, ten because it's more of a physical football, conference really helped you in that respect that in A Big ten you have to block Because Big ten loves to run the. Football until do you feel like being At michigan And iowa where they both like to run the. Football when you got here and they were, like, oh we need you to, Block you're, like, okay.
Speaker 6: That's What i've been.
Speaker 4: Doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah it helped me out a, lot, because especially WHEN i was At, michigan the coaches, demanded, like you for in order for you to be on the, field you have to really.
Speaker 6: Block, Yeah like there was no just receiver tight. Ends.
Speaker 1: YEAH i think we did have a receiver type style tight end who was really good at just kind of like kind of Like, mike you, know he's more so of a catch the ball, guy but he never really played because he didn't he couldn't really block that. Well so that helped out a. Lot and WHEN i got, THERE i was undersized and and they really had to teach me from square one To, MICHIGAN i. WAS i remember being too. Too OH i was either two five or two o. Eight, YEAH i, WAS i, WAS i was. DOWN i WAS i was pretty small.
Speaker 6: Weight.
Speaker 4: Man, YEAH i mean good weight muscle. Man what are you?
Speaker 6: Now all?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: NOW i got up to like to eighty did you eighty. Three, YEAH i got up to. Eighty i'm back down to sixty.
Speaker 4: Five. Though you're a good looking to sixty. Five not look too, SICK i, know i'd say, down you. KNOW i mean you carry it, well, man you really.
Speaker 6: Do.
Speaker 4: Thanks so let me ask you when you were growing up.
Speaker 5: You sports, junior high, school high, school in. College how many other sports did you? PLAY i mean a lot of guys in THE nfl played you, Know, YEAH i played high school, basketball, MAN i was all. State, YEAH i was An all state center field of shortstop in. Baseball you, know did you play other sports as?
Speaker 1: Well, YEAH i played a lot of. SPORTS i played, tennis, uh. Soccer soccer was the first Sport i've ever. Played, BASEBALL.
Speaker 6: I played. IT i played a bunch Oft DID i say hockey?
Speaker 4: Already?
Speaker 6: Hockey you?
Speaker 4: Didn't?
Speaker 6: Basketball, FOOTBALL i played a bunch of different.
Speaker 4: Sports, athlete you were. BUSY i have often Said eric Et, thomas who played for The bengals some years, back when we had this argument all the, time, man that these coaches that get heavy handed on not letting guys play other, sports like you're only going to play, football or you're only going to play, Basketball you're hurting hid because he needs to develop other twitch. Muscles AND i think that the muscles you develop another sports will always help you as you go to the next.
Speaker 1: Sport and only, THAT i think sports help, you like especially like, especially like if you're a kid is, younger like it could help them with like just life things like just working hard to get to get the spot and you, know just being on top of, it being. DISCIPLINED i think it helps out with real life stuff. Too BUT i agree with. You one of my best, friends he played baseball and football in, college joyed the last quest and he ended up transferring To Ohio state and From, michigan which was which is a, note which was not. Allowed, yeah and obviously he had some other things going on where he had to be. Home he's From, columbus but he he played baseball and football and was completely busy the year, in year and year. Out he was just you couldn't you couldn't get a hold of. Him he was either at football or baseball or at or he had both.
Speaker 5: Day so you're a very well spoken. Guy obviously heard you many. Times you comport, yourself carey yourself really. Well when you're done playing all kinds of, opportunities all kinds of. Avenues, broadcasting there's one, potential you, know, television radio broadcasting games or programming associated with football or other. Sports or maybe you want to get into. Coaching coaching another avenue THAT i think you'd be good. AT i think you, know you very. Intelligent you understand the, game you can communicate the. Game what are you thinking about? Doing And i'm not saying you're done, playing but when you are done, playing what are you thinking about?
Speaker 1: Doing potentially definitely coaching or really, YEAH i want TO i want to be a head, coach either in college or.
Speaker 6: Football but that's like a that's like the next step for.
Speaker 4: Me right for, sure rights down the.
Speaker 6: Road and what helped me up to that was during this.
Speaker 1: Offseason you, KNOW i couldn't do a whole lot so AND i had to stay, here SO i was helping out With Fairfield High school and and helping those guys, out and that really opened my eyes to it a little bit.
Speaker 6: More AND u that's WHAT i THINK i want to?
Speaker 4: Do hands on action. There, yeah it was. Fun it was probably give you some new found respect for coaches.
Speaker 1: Too oh, yeah it's part of it, too was just like you, know just seeing like just what they talk about and things like that.
Speaker 6: Helped it helped a. Lot it helped he that it was pretty.
Speaker 4: Cool all, right we'll take a. Break we'll come back With.
Speaker 6: Eric.
Speaker 4: Oh this is The bengals Pep Rally, show broadcasting live from on The rhine The, eatery one Hundred Court street on The Bengals Radio, network presented By Just Bear. Chicken welcome back to The bengals Pep Rowley, show broadcasting live from on The ryane right, here one hundred These Court, street presented By Just Bear, Chicken Wayne, Box, Brother Dave Blap, Them eric all joining. Us thank you all for being here today and we will be here Next friday today After thanksgiving as. Well and as we wrap up the, show getting ready for The New England, patriots they're trying to get to nine and two of The bengals trying to get their fourth. Win, eric one of the THINGS i wanted to ask about the Pay court. Crowd, MAN i tell You Cincinnati bengal fans really get after it for their home. Team. Yeah you when you walk out and you hear, like especially when the intros come this this crowd man like on a white out night and all those. Things, uh pretty pretty.
Speaker 1: Impressive, yeah it never used to be like, that, Right, yeah because you grew up, here so you know what it was.
Speaker 4: Like uh with this newfound uh, fandom but, uh it is great to see the energy in that. Stadium yeah it.
Speaker 6: Is it's really. Cool so.
Speaker 5: What's it like to be part of a group at the tight end position where guys are so? Close you got you guys are all little dancing. Machine get a free, SHOW a little free. Show, actually that's pretty good. Moves i'm gonna have to take that in the. Road that's the next touchdown. Dancer, yeah just.
Speaker 1: Another.
Speaker 5: Question but, so so, uh your, group everybody kind of uh wants the other guy to do.
Speaker 4: Well you, know obviously you want to do well.
Speaker 5: Yourself you want to be a contributor and win the football, game be a factor in the in the in the win and, uh but it seems like the tight end, position these guys are happier when other guys are doing. It is it that close as the group that?
Speaker 4: CLOSE i think?
Speaker 13: So?
Speaker 1: Yeah and then you know you can tell when you know when people are you, know kind of just like fake about, it but these these guys actually care about. You, know the team winning and and everybody you know getting paid and doing their job and you, know and and an another great thing about the room is that we hold each other. Accountable and Especially, drew he holds he holds the guys. Accountable but sample, yeah and.
Speaker 6: He's it's really.
Speaker 1: Cool it's really, cool especially you, know going into, it you hear so much like bad, things like, guys you, know they look out for. Themselves you, know guys are making, money so they're like not as. Cool, selfish, yes selfish and and BUT i haven't like with this, team you, know you don't feel like that at, All like guys Like Joe burrow And Jamar, Chase MIKE yasicki these guys are big name, guys but they treat you just like how they would treat, you, know their own.
Speaker 6: People so AND i think that's pretty. COOL i.
Speaker 4: Guess, well question about it With. Eric thank you for joining, us, man and first of, all thank you for navigating through traffick and all that just to get down here and be with, us, ladies and, dull let's get a big ham For. Eric all, sir join us today And i'm sure you'll be able to sign a few things before we leave for those who need some Sign wayne Box, Filler dave Lap i'm glad to have you as a. Boy don't we get? This sunday The New Orlegan patriots at Pay Corpse. Stadium we'll be, rocking making noise as The bengals try to get back on that win column and make a push for the. Playoffs is not. Over this has been The bengals Pep. Rally joe broadcasting live from on THE, rne presented By Just Bear. Chicken, Whoday.
Speaker 2: Everybody this Was bengals Spent rally presented By Just Bairn chicken on The Bengals Radio.
Speaker 3: Network Pay.
Speaker 2: Corps Pay corp is proud to be the OFFICIAL hr software provider of The Cincinnati. Bengals Ulti Viper, ultifiber the Official WiFi and The internet provider of The Cincinnati. Bengals this IS espn fifteen, thirty the official home of The Cincinnati, bengals