Speaker 1: For the back-to-back world champions of baseball. One of the greatest runs in the history of baseball. Immortality is within their reach. Incredible. And while others make excuses.
Speaker 2: The only reason the Dodgers are doing this is because they can. They print money.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers. This can't continue.
Speaker 2: It's not fair.
Speaker 1: Are making plans.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 4: It's a singular focus on controlling what they can control.
Speaker 5: Now your pregame host of the world champion L.A.
Speaker 1: Dodgers, Tim Cates.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Tim Cates ain't here.
Speaker 4: David Basset live at Dodger Stadium as we get set for first pitch between the Dodgers and Cardinals, the middle game of this three-game series. Welcome to Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck. The Dodgers with 82 wins on the season. Of course, first place in the NL West, but... They had their sights set on the best seeding in the National League postseason as possible. And earlier today, the Atlanta Braves beat the Nationals. So right now, the Dodgers are a half game back of Atlanta for the number two seed in the National League postseason picture.
Speaker 6: Last night, the Dodgers fell 13-8.
Speaker 4: They're looking to get back in the winning column tonight with Yamamoto on the mound.
Speaker 6: First pitch coming up at 7'10.
Speaker 4: Over the next hour here on Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, you'll hear from the Honorable Chris Taylor.
Speaker 6: Chris Taylor is in the house tonight.
Speaker 4: He is throwing out the ceremonial first pitch, so we'll check in with Chris Taylor. Also, we'll check in with Dave Roberts in 20 minutes and also preview this pitching matchup. Last night, obviously not the way the Dodgers wanted it to go for Eric Lauer or the Dodgers. Lauer gave up seven runs. in three innings last night, and then things did not get any easier for the bullpen. Alex Vecchia came on in relief. Robleski came on in relief. All in all, St. Louis hit five home runs last night to beat the Dodgers, but the Dodger offense did put up eight runs and did not give away at-bats, beginning in the bottom half of the third inning when Mookie Betts was gifted a three-run double.
Speaker 2: Now there's two outs, 7-0 St.
Speaker 5: Louis.
Speaker 2: Brevey delivers.
Speaker 6: Swing and a high fly ball, short right field.
Speaker 2: Out goes a second baseman.
Speaker 1: Firmino, he trips over Walker.
Speaker 6: Ball is loose.
Speaker 7: Three runs come in to score. Dodgers get a gift. A collision between Firmino and Walker. And the Dodgers have just plated three.
Speaker 4: Jose Fermin playing second base last night went a little bit too far. Jordan Walker in right field was trying to make a sliding catch. The ball actually hit his glove and bounced out. So Mookie Betts was gifted a three-run double. And then I guess the only highlight outside of that for the Dodgers was the fact that Will Smith was activated before the game and back behind the plate for the first time since June 5th. In the seventh inning, Will Smith drove in his first run since May 29th.
Speaker 6: One out.
Speaker 7: There's a line drive base hit into left center field. Ohtani rounding third. He's on his way home. Bets will be held at third.
Speaker 2: Sliding into second base is Will Smith with an RBI double.
Speaker 7: The Cardinals lead has been trimmed to 11-5.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the bat that the Dodgers have been missing desperately.
Speaker 6: Will Smith with the night off tonight. That was scheduled.
Speaker 4: He'll be back in there tomorrow for the finale of this series. But Will Smith's RBI double was our top-tier play of the game, brought to you by Arco, quality top-tier gas for less. Hunter Fiducia is doing the catching tonight with Yamamoto on the mound in the middle game.
Speaker 6: Of this three-game series.
Speaker 4: Let's check in for the first time tonight with Rick Munday and Charlie Steiner, who are right here in our Galpin Ford broadcast booth.
Speaker 7: All right, David, game 139, 24 games in 26 days.
Speaker 2: Remain in the regular season.
Speaker 7: Dodgers got beaten to a pulp last night, 13-8 by the Cardinals. But as play begins today, with Atlanta having shut out Washington, the Dodgers and the Braves are tied for second today. Three and a half games behind the Milwaukee Brewers. And they are playing the Cubs tonight.
Speaker 2: Quick look back last night.
Speaker 7: The Dodgers was down 7-0 early. And Lauer just didn't have it. And they were just trying to play. Come from behind and came up short.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just one of those games. It just did not work. And it's not going to work. Really giving up in total over the nine innings. Five home runs. Yes, four of those were solo blasts. But nonetheless, the Dodgers. I thought there was some positive things that came out of it. I thought there were a much better pitch selection of Dodger hitters. I thought there were much more as far as opportunities. They had 14 at-bats with runners in scoring position. That's the good news. Bad news is they only had four hits, but they did put on a pretty good display in that ninth inning.
Speaker 2: They fall short.
Speaker 3: What is a little surprising is that we heard about this St. Louis Cardinals ball club that had difficulty scoring runs, and while they've lost seven of the last ten games, And in those games, including adding the 13 runs last night, they've been outscored by 20 runs. But you would not have known that looking at them last night.
Speaker 7: That Jordan Walker, that home run shot to left center field, that was about the hardest hit home run I've seen in a long time.
Speaker 3: You know, the Cardinals, they're headed in the right direction if we look at it. They're a young ball club. They're enthusiastic about the way that they're playing. And as you mentioned, there's a remote chance that they could possibly cause some damage and and maybe be included in a wild card slot. But that is put to the wayside. You know, they've gone 5-5 in their last 10 ballgames. But overall, we're going to find out what happens tonight. And with Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mound tonight, you would expect good things because that would mean, if it translates to what it has been in the past, Dodgers will not have to score a great number of runs because Yamamoto does not allow a great number.
Speaker 7: He's 12-8 at 256 ERA, and he's held the opponents to a 187 batting average. The Cardinals counter with a lefty, Bryson Motz, M-A-U-T-Z. And so the Dodgers have fluctuated their lineup just a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, and we'll detail that a little later on in the hour.
Speaker 1: David.
Speaker 4: All right, guys, as we count you down to first pitch, Dodger fans, get your game day meal on at Shakey's Pizza Parlor. Order your Shakey's Pizza, chicken, and mojos now at Shakey's.com. As we continue on Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck. You'll hear from manager Dave Roberts, and we'll go high and tight with Chris Taylor, who retired earlier this year and is going to be throwing out the ceremonial flag First pitch a little bit later before the Dodgers and Cardinals get it going in game two of this three-game series. I'm David Vasse, and this is the back-to-back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Morongo Casino, Dodgers on 10.
Speaker 1: On your home for L.A. Dodgers baseball.
Speaker 4: David Vasse, live at Uniqlo Field at Dodger Stadium as the Dodgers and Cardinals get set for the middle game of this three-game series.
Speaker 6: The Dodgers have the right guy on the mound tonight, and.
Speaker 4: Yoshinobu Yamamoto going up against Bryson Motts, a bullpen game for the Cardinals. This will only be Motts' third major league game in his career, and he's done the bullpen piggyback role before. First pitch is coming up at 7-10 on Yamamoto Night.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani Rewind.
Speaker 2: Presented by Mikado Shochu. Two and one.
Speaker 7: McGreevy's 78th pitch. There's a looping line drive into right center field for a base hit. Oscar Hernandez holds at second. First and second.
Speaker 1: One out.
Speaker 2: Freddie Freeman coming up.
Speaker 4: Ohtani, he went one for two last night with a walk. He scored twice. Ohtani hitting 281 on the season. He's back in there tonight leading off as the Dodgers DH, but still no word on when he may still try to pitch. The Dodgers are not closing the door on that by any means. Dave Roberts and Andrew Friedman have both told me that even if Ohtani could give them two innings in the postseason, it's worth keeping the door open, but not at the expense of of injuring him or taking anything away from him being the force they need offensively. Otani Rewind is presented by Nikaido Shochu, the official Shochu of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 6: Discover Nikaido. Discover Shochu.
Speaker 1: This is Kirsten's Corner with Kirsten Watson.
Speaker 4: Kirsten's Corner brought to you by Cars for Kids, the easiest way to get rid of your old car. can be picked up tomorrow. Donate now at carsforkids.org. That's cars with a K. All right, Kirsten with a K. We're back in the Dodger dugout, and Chris Taylor is back at Dodger Stadium. Dave Roberts was joking. He didn't say much when he played. Did you get a lot of words out of him?
Speaker 8: You know what's funny? I feel like It took time for me to build a relationship with him, but once I did, he was, I mean, not super talkative, but it was easy to converse with. I also love how just, he's a fan favorite, so I'm excited to see the reception that he's going to have from Dodger Stadium. I feel like I still see CT3 jerseys or tailored jerseys with the three on them. There's so much impact that he's had on this team, this organization, this community, what he does in Manhattan Beach with the polar plunge and things like that. So I'm excited to see him back here, but it'll be different. It'll be a fun one to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of weird how some of these guys that started with Dave Roberts are retired and having these type of nights.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and it's funny to think because... obviously when you think of someone like Chris Taylor and maybe he wasn't like the veteran vocal presence that in the clubhouse, like someone like a Justin Turner, but he still had so much impact on the team and he had really close relationships with all the guys. So even when he was released from the organization, it did kind of feel like it came out of surprise and it was just a shakeup for the Dodgers, but to see him go and then Austin Barnes, you know, those were impactful players for this team, for this clubhouse. And so, um, When they get to come back and whether you're seeing them kind of sitting in the side, it's really special for just the memories that they shared here, the teammate that they were, the men that they are. So I'm excited to see him. And now he's, I believe, a father of two. And I'm sure his older son, the name is slipping me right now.
Speaker 6: You don't need to know his name.
Speaker 8: The fact that he's probably just like four or five years old now to me is insane.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's pretty crazy. And hopefully the Dodgers can get a win.
Speaker 4: Chris told me earlier today that he's hoping to just watch a baseball game, and last night it wasn't that much of a baseball game.
Speaker 8: No, it wasn't a pretty one, to say the least. Whether it was just getting behind early, being down 7-0 by the third, Eric Lauer just didn't have his stuff in that one. And obviously to see how aggressive that the Cardinals were at the five home runs last night, and I think just... Ultimately, the Dodgers just didn't have their best performance. I thought it was good how they did show that fight towards the end, and Dave Roberts did speak highly of just the at-bats that he saw from the group, and then you have the excitement of Will Smith being back in the lineup. There were some positives, but ultimately I think we thought it was going to be the September 1st, a new day, a new series, get things back on track. And ultimately it was more like August 32nd. So hopefully today, I know, hopefully today will genuinely be that kind of reset and we'll see as a collective and the team get going. And with Yoshinova on the mound, it's hard to doubt that being what's going to happen.
Speaker 4: All right, Kirsten, thanks a lot for the time. Enjoy the game tonight. It should be a different outcome.
Speaker 8: I would love to see that, and I think it will be as well.
Speaker 4: All right, Kirsten's Corner brought to you by Cars for Kids. When we continue on Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck. We'll preview this pitching matchup tonight. I'll go one-on-one with Chris Taylor after he throws out the first pitch. We'll get you the latest Dodger injury report, and, of course, we'll hear from manager Dave Roberts.
Speaker 6: First pitch is.
Speaker 4: Coming up at 7-10 between the Dodgers and Cardinals. I'm David Basset, and this is the back-to-back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino. Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 5: On your home for the blue all season long.
Speaker 4: It's the Dodgers and Cardinals coming up at 7-10. Yamamoto on the mound as the Cardinals are going with a bullpen game. So the matchup leans towards the Dodgers tonight. Let's see them bounce back from a disappointing 13-8 loss last night.
Speaker 1: This is the L.A. Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 4: This Dodger Injury Report presented by UCLA Health, the official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Well, speaking of last night's 13-8 loss, Eric Lauer gave up seven runs in three innings and about 30 minutes ago, the Dodgers announced they are placing Lauer on the injured list with left elbow inflammation. They are activating Blake Trinan, who also was on the IL with elbow inflammation. He is a right-handed pitcher, so he had right elbow inflammation, so Trinan will be available out of the Dodger bullpen. Also, Dave Roberts told us earlier today, no word on Roki Sasaki and the blister on his right middle finger.
Speaker 6: We'll see whether or.
Speaker 4: Not Sasaki will be activated after he comes off the IL. Also uncertain whether or not the Dodgers will have Sasaki go back into the rotation or make the transition to the bullpen, begin during the regular season to protect that right middle finger and the blister. All right, speaking of Dave Roberts, let's hear more from the Dodger manager down in the dugout, literally today.
Speaker 6: Anything else for Dave? Dave, do you think questions for Dave?
Speaker 2: Dave, can you just describe? Dave, can you talk about the pressure?
Speaker 1: In the Dugout with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 5: Brought to you by Concordia University, Irvine's Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration.
Speaker 9: It's great. Yeah, obviously it was a short one last night. Looking at nine in a row. But I think, you know, considering everything, I think we came out of it okay. The leverage guys are in a good spot. Some guys have had three days off. But, yeah, it comes down to starting pitching. And, you know, obviously it's a young, hungry team out there. Came out last night swinging the bat. So, you know, it would be nice to put up a zero, get a lead, and go from there. And they got a bullpen game, so we sort of staggered our lineup a little bit.
Speaker 6: But I feel good about tonight.
Speaker 8: Last night you were talking about just the fight that the offense showed, especially late in the game, trying to just battle back from being down early 7-0. How do you want to see them carry that over, and what did you like to see there about the approach or the mindset of the group to end the game last night?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I like, again, I like the at-bat quality. Tonight, you know, just looking at kind of how it might play out, we're probably going to see four or five arms tonight.
Speaker 6: So we're going to.
Speaker 9: See different arms, but I think for us it's just kind of Just keep taking good at-bats, and we'll slug at some point. But last night I really liked the way we just kind of fought, saw some different arms, got the closer up, and things to build on.
Speaker 4: Did you feel like Shohei had better at-bat qualities last night? Did you see some signs of him getting back on track?
Speaker 2: I did. I did.
Speaker 9: I think that Shohei is no different than any other player where controlling the strike zone, taking walks when given— It's important, and I think yesterday for him to take a couple walks was important, and I know he wants to swing the bat, but it was good for him to control his strike zone a little bit last night.
Speaker 4: All right, there's manager Dave Roberts down in the dugout. Want to remind you Dodger fans. Great coaches build great teams and great coaching starts with great leadership. Concordia University, Irvine's Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration.
Speaker 6: A $ 1, 000 scholarship for new students.
Speaker 4: Find out more at cui.edu slash coaching. When we continue live from Dodger Stadium on Morongo Road. Casino Dodgers on deck. We'll check in with Chris Taylor later in the show. And also, we'll give you an update on Andy Pahez. Great news on the all-star center fielder. Dodgers hitting coach Aaron Bates shared with us the latest on Pahez's rehab coming back from a fractured left hand.
Speaker 6: Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 4: Dodgers and Cardinals coming up at 7-10.
Speaker 6: I'm David Vasse.
Speaker 4: And this is the back-to-back World Series champion Dodgers audio network.
Speaker 5: As we were saying, this is Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of L.A.
Speaker 1: Dodgers baseball.
Speaker 4: Big night at Dodger Stadium as fans are being given out a replica Shohei Otani 2025 World Series ring and Yoshi Yamamoto is on the mound for the Dodgers tonight in the middle game of this three-game series. against the Cardinals tomorrow night.
Speaker 6: Tarek Skubal will be on the mound for the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: First pitch is coming up tonight at 7-10, and Dodger baseball brought to you by El Pato. Born in L.A., made for your game day, El Pato brings authentic Mexican-style tomato sauces, salsas, and hot sauces. El Pato, gourmet in a can. We see right now Chris Taylor out there with his wife Mary and their two young children getting ready for the ceremonial first pitch, and he might get a little emotional. Chris Taylor does not get emotional. We never saw him get too sad or allow the joy.
Speaker 6: Turn into tears.
Speaker 4: But my understanding is the Dodgers may have some not only highlights from his 10 years with the Dodgers, but also some former teammates have recorded video messages to play up there on Dodger Vision. So that should be a fun time because Chris Taylor was acquired by in the middle of the 2016 season, hit a game one lead off home run in the 2017 World Series, had an unbelievable catch in game seven of the 2018 NLCS, hit three home runs against the Braves in the 21 NLCS, and of course, to get there, hit the walk off home run in the wild card game against the Cardinals. So it'll be great to celebrate Chris Taylor, who officially retired earlier this season. Well, Chris Taylor had a broken hand during his Dodger career. Andy Pahez broke his hand getting hit by a 100-mile-an-hour pitch during the Pirates series a couple of weeks ago, fractured his left hand, and a week ago underwent surgery to put in a compression screw in that left hand. But the great news is, Pahez is healing very quickly and Dodgers hitting coach Aaron Bates gave us an update on how quickly Pahez is healing.
Speaker 10: Yeah I think he starts swinging pretty soon I mean he was in the dugout yesterday during the game he said it he doesn't feel any pain he his hand feels really good which was encouraging because we got back from the road trip just you know seeing touch base other than text but he was in great spirits he was really good I think he starts swinging here coming up shortly but I mean, they said the surgery went really well, so he was excited by that because he expected to be more sore at this point and more pain, but he said no.
Speaker 2: He's feeling good.
Speaker 6: So he could actually grip a bat right now?
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: He hasn't swung yet as far as hitting a ball, but he said I think it was the next couple days or so he was going to practice. I think it's just dry swings at first. I think there's a progression. You have to talk to the trainers more so the specifics of the progression, but, yeah, he said there's no pain.
Speaker 6: I got good news for you.
Speaker 8: Dr.
Speaker 4: Shin, who performed the surgery on Andy Pahez's hand, performed the surgery after the slide.
Speaker 10: So were you quicker than expected from your slide?
Speaker 6: I went back the next day.
Speaker 2: Got it. So you're even quicker than that. Yeah. How about pain-wise? How did it feel?
Speaker 6: Oh, I could tell when it's going to rain. First guy to know.
Speaker 2: Got it, got it, got it. Okay. Well, hopefully Andy's feels better than yours, then.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, I hope so. I mean, Pa has is much more needed than I am. So great news and great work again by Dr. Shan at Curl and Jobe. Dodger Baseball brought to you by Ford Summer Sales Event.
Speaker 2: Don't wait.
Speaker 6: Hurry in now for the best offers of the year.
Speaker 4: Go to buyfordnow.com or your Southern California Ford dealer for more information. Ford, the official vehicle of Major League Baseball. When we continue live from Dodger Stadium or Uniqlo Field at Dodger Stadium, we'll break down this pitching matchup. It's Yamamoto against the Cardinals bullpen. And also, we'll get you your Dodgers magical moment as we get you set for first pitch at 7-10 right here on the back-to-back World Series champion Dodgers audio network.
Speaker 5: This is Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck, on your home for L.A.
Speaker 1: Dodgers baseball.
Speaker 4: The Cardinals are going with a bullpen game tonight, while the Dodgers have their ace, Yoshi Yamamoto, on the mound. First pitch coming up at 7-10 from Uniqlo Field at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 5: It's time for the Hoffie magical moment.
Speaker 1: It's magical.
Speaker 5: Presented by Hoffie hot dogs.
Speaker 6: Oh, well, come on. This is so obvious.
Speaker 4: Chris Taylor throwing out the ceremonial first pitch before a Dodgers Cardinals game. We got to go back to the wild card game in 2021 Dodgers and Cardinals game tied at one Cody Bellinger on base for Chris Taylor.
Speaker 2: Reyes on two and one. Taylor.
Speaker 6: Fly ball to left.
Speaker 1: And deep. And done! Chris Taylor, a.
Speaker 6: Walk-off home run. The Dodgers are walking off to San Francisco.
Speaker 11: They win the wild card, 3-1. Here comes Taylor to the plate.
Speaker 6: They are bobbing him. The crowd is going crazy.
Speaker 11: The Dodgers advance to the National League Division Series with one mighty swing by Chris Taylor.
Speaker 4: A two-run walk-off home run off of Alex Reyes sending the Dodgers to San Francisco in a best-of-five NLDS. They would beat the Giants in five games and then lose to the Braves in the NLCS. But Chris Taylor, with that walk-off home run in the wild-card game, became just the fifth player in baseball history to hit a walk-off home run in a winner-take-all game. This, Hoffie, magical moment brought to you by... Hoffie Hot Dogs, Hoffie, SoCal's local treasure for nearly 100 years. Hoffie Hot Dogs, local and so great. When we continue on Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, we'll check back in with Rick Munday and Charlie Steiner. Also, coming up in 10 minutes, Chris Taylor will join us as we lead you up to first pitch between the Dodgers and Cardinals on the back-to-back World Series Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Morongo Casino. Dodgers on deck. On your home for the blue all season long.
Speaker 4: David Basset live at Uniqlo Field at Dodger Stadium as we get you set for first pitch at 7-10. It's time for the Verizon Startup. We're now only 35 minutes away from the start of the game. Now at Verizon, you can lock in your low price for three years so you can save big. Visit your SoCal Verizon store today. Still to come, Chris Taylor. He's going to join us before he throws out tonight's ceremonial first pitch.
Speaker 5: And now, joined by David Basset, here's L.A. Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger, Rick Monday.
Speaker 4: Well, Rick, this is perfect. We got baseball royalty in the booth. Chip Carey's in here, the Cardinals broadcaster.
Speaker 2: I have a bone to pick with Mr. Carey. Okay.
Speaker 3: Because about this time, 24 hours ago, he had the audacity to come into our booth and tell us that his Cardinals are having difficulty scoring runs. What a scouting report.
Speaker 2: Trying to lull you into a false sense of security. Oh, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Lower the expectation. So then they score 13 runs.
Speaker 3: Trying to lull you into a false sense of security.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm glad he's in here because I want him to hear it. I want Charlie Steiner to hear this. Tomorrow, it is the 60th anniversary of Rick Monday making his major league debut.
Speaker 6: In Major League Baseball.
Speaker 4: Rick Monday has been part of Major League Baseball for 60 seasons, and tomorrow is the anniversary of your Major League debut, Rick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you told me you had a surprise waiting for me, and I proved to the world that I should have been there.
Speaker 2: Here is the deal.
Speaker 3: I was playing in Mobile, Alabama, a double-A ball, Southern League, And it's September 1st call-ups and Sal Bando, teammate of mine at Arizona State and with the Mobile Bears in the Southern League, we're both called up. Well, Sal didn't have his car there. I had a car. So we drove all night long from Mobile, Alabama to Kansas City. We got into the hotel about 7.30 in the morning, 8 o'clock in the morning by the time we checked in. I saw Bobby Hoffman, who was the first base coach for the Kansas City A's. He says, hey, by the way, we have a 10.30 workout this morning and you need to be there. So Sal and I are up at 10.30 in the morning, actually 10 o'clock, get to the ballpark, and now we've got an early workout, and we're in the lineup that night. And I proved to the world that I should have been the number one pick in the very first draft in 1965 out of Arizona State, We had just won the College World Series, had just defeated Ohio State in that final game.
Speaker 2: Here I am. I'm called up the number one pick. All eyes are on it.
Speaker 3: And I struck out the first time I went to home plate. So much for that crescendo.
Speaker 6: Hey, the game will humble you, Rick. The game will humble you.
Speaker 2: It took that story. And now Chip is going to leave. Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: Now he's going to leave.
Speaker 2: That's my TV open.
Speaker 4: What do you got on former umpire Brian Gorman, who also is now in the booth?
Speaker 6: I mean, this is the party tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, let me put it this way.
Speaker 3: Let me put it, a second-generation Major League umpire. So if you put it that, and I had the pleasure, and I mean the pleasure, of playing with both Bryant and with.
Speaker 2: His dad, Tom.
Speaker 6: Did Tom ever throw you out of a game?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: No, he was a guy that did not throw guys out. He was a part of the game with very well respect, along with this gentleman. He happens to be in the booth with us as well, Brian. And I saw that, by the way, Brian, I saw that you had gone down to the umpire's room and talked to them. So we got that all worked out. And Brian and I talk a lot. We talked, I think, last homestand about the fact that, you know, with the ABS system, you know what it's proved to me? is that how good these umpires are on a daily basis. And I've said this on the last road trip. I believe that the umpiring crew as a total right now, all of the umpires, probably the best level of umpiring that we have seen for a lot of different reasons. They're getting a better workforce to choose from. These guys are schooled on exactly what they're doing. And I just think that right now we're seeing the umpire. And I don't know if it's a result of, you know, hey, look, they're on the spot and they're answerable to the videotape all the time.
Speaker 2: And people can see it.
Speaker 3: But this is a good game. It's not just the players. It's also the officials and I think the reputation of the game of baseball.
Speaker 4: game.I'm glad I could get a day ahead of you.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, that's all right. I'll get even at some particular point.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: I'll listen to you in the postgame. All right.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Rick.And we'll listen to you and Charlie Steiner and Tim Nevrit tonight. And still to come here on Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck. Chris Taylor is coming up right around the corner as we get set for first pitch at Uniqlo Field at Dodger Stadium at 710. I'm David Vasse, and this is the Back-to-Back World Series Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: As we were saying, this is Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of L.A.
Speaker 1: Dodgers baseball.
Speaker 4: It's the Dodgers and Cardinals game two of this three game series coming up at 710 Yamamoto on the mound for the Dodgers tonight. Dodger baseball brought to you by Shakey's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast when it's game day.
Speaker 6: It's group day at Shakeys.com.
Speaker 2: Reyes on two and one.
Speaker 6: Taylor. Fly ball to left.
Speaker 2: And deep.
Speaker 6: And down.
Speaker 2: Chris Taylor, a walk-off home run.
Speaker 6: The Dodgers are walking off to San Francisco.
Speaker 2: They win the.
Speaker 11: Wild card, 3-1. Here comes Taylor to the plate.
Speaker 2: They are bobbing him.
Speaker 6: The crowd is going crazy.
Speaker 11: The Dodgers advance to the National League Division Series with one mighty swing by Chris Taylor.
Speaker 4: That's how it sounded on that October night at Dodger Stadium. Chris Taylor with one of his great playoff moments in a Dodger uniform. That was against the Cardinals in the 21 wildcard game. And Chris Taylor is going to be celebrated tonight at Dodger Stadium, rightfully so. And we'll be throwing out the ceremonial first pitch. And Chris Taylor joins us now. Chris, thanks a lot for the time and congratulations on a great career.
Speaker 12: Thanks. I appreciate that. And I'm excited to get back to Dodger stadium tonight and watch a game. It'd be a new perspective for me, but I'm, I'm excited to go with my family and just soak it all in.
Speaker 4: I know the last couple of years when we did interviews, I held back trying to celebrate your career because you still had a lot, a lot left, but Now that you are officially retired, I can just go all in and celebrate some of the great moments you had in your great career. Did you ever believe when you got traded from the Mariners to the Dodgers in 2016 and you showed up in Pittsburgh that your career would take this arc and you would be throwing out the first pitch and being celebrated by Dodger fans 10 years later?
Speaker 12: Oh man, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: That's a tough question. Um, you know, I was just at that point in my career, I was just so focused on like getting to the major leagues and like earning a spot. Um, you know, it'd be hard to say. I thought that I would get, um, you know, over 10 years in the major leagues with the pretty much all with the Dodgers. Um, So, yeah, no, I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: I always had a lot.
Speaker 12: Of confidence in myself and always believed I would get there. But I don't know if I thought it would happen the way I did.
Speaker 4: When you're out there on the field before first pitch tonight, what do you think your emotions are going to be? Because like you said, you were always just about today. And that's what made you so good is that you were worried about today.
Speaker 6: You were where your feet were.
Speaker 4: And you were in the middle of the grind of a career trying to win championships. So when you see the montage of all the moments we've talked about over the years, how do you think you'll react?
Speaker 12: You know what? I'm going to do my best to just soak it all in and just try to enjoy a baseball game with my family. The plan right now is for my oldest son, Theo, to throw out the first pitch to me. So I think I might be a little nervous for him. And we'll see how he is emotionally at that time. And, of course, I'm not going to pressure him to do it if he's not comfortable.
Speaker 2: But I hope.
Speaker 12: he's able to throw out the first pitch. And I think that would be a really cool experience to watch him, you know, have his moment. And then, yeah, I'm kind of just excited to watch a baseball game with my family. I haven't been able to do that ever. So, yeah, I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 4: Well, I got to say this. It's so great you're coming back. You are always going to be part of the Dodger family. And I'm so grateful to you for treating me like family and treating my kids like family.
Speaker 6: And it's been a real pleasure watching your career.
Speaker 4: And I can't believe I'm outlasting you. I can't believe I'm still doing this and you're retired. So I'll have to digest that tonight as well.
Speaker 12: Thanks. I mean, your friendship means a lot to me and it was always a pleasure.
Speaker 2: Working with you. All right.
Speaker 6: I'll see you on the beach this summer.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 12: That sounds good.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 6: Sounds good.
Speaker 2: There he goes.
Speaker 4: Chris Taylor has been our guest. He is a champion on and off the field and deserves to be celebrated as he is tonight. Dodger baseball presented by Uniqlo Field at Dodger Stadium. Visit Uniqlo.com slash Dodger.
Speaker 2: U.S.
Speaker 4: We are leading you up to first pitch. Dodgers and Cardinals. Yamamoto on the mound at 7-10. I'm David Vasse. And this is the back-to-back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Morongo Casino. Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 1: On your home for L.A. Dodgers baseball.
Speaker 4: David Basset live at Uniqlo Field at Dodgers Stadium as the Dodgers and Cardinals are getting set for first pitch at 7-10. Thanks again to Chris Taylor for joining us. He's on the field right now with his family, catching up with some old teammates. as he gets set to throw out the ceremonial first pitch. We're brought to you by your Toyota dealers. We make it easy. All right, well, we know Yamamoto's on the mound for the Dodgers tonight. The Cardinals are going with a bullpen game, starting with Bryson Motts, who piggybacked another Cardinals starter in his last appearance, and that did not go so well last Saturday. Motts gave up four runs in three innings, so... This matchup certainly favors the Dodgers, and they got their ace on the mound in Yamamoto, who's 12-8 on the year with an ERA of 286. But since the All-Star game, he's been even better. In seven starts in the second half of the season, Yamamoto's ERA is 190 in 47 and a third innings pitched. And also, his fastball has had a lot of giddy-up, and hitters are having a hard time against his four-seamer. They only have two hits. in 33 at-bats against that four-seam fastball.
Speaker 6: So we'll see.
Speaker 4: Whether or not Yamamoto can continue his second-half dominance tonight against the Cardinals. We're 15 minutes away from first pitch.
Speaker 6: Keys to the game are next.
Speaker 4: I'm David Vasse, and this is the back-to-back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck. On your home for the blue, all season long.
Speaker 4: It's the Dodgers and Cardinals coming up at 7-10. Yamamoto on the mound for the Dodgers tonight as we get ready for the start of the game with the Sapporo start. Great moment start with Sapporo beer. Whatever your taste preference, Sapporo has you covered with a variety of crisp, and refreshing lagers, including light and non-alcoholic beers.
Speaker 6: Sapporo, good with sushi, great with baseball.
Speaker 4: All right, let's check in once more with Rick Munday and Charlie Steiner.
Speaker 6: Guys?
Speaker 7: All right, David, the Dodgers and the Cardinals get ready for the second game of this three-game series.
Speaker 2: Dodgers looking to rebound.
Speaker 7: And they've got their ace, Yashinobu Yamamoto. What a year he's had. 12-8 at 256 ERA. Opponents are hitting just 187 against him. His strikeout-to-walk ratio is unseemly. 153 strikeouts in just 36 walks.
Speaker 3: You know what's amazing, too, is you look at his record. He's 5-5 at 13 starts at home. He's 7-3 at 11 starts on.
Speaker 2: The road, and yet.
Speaker 3: Both those batting average against are below 191, whether it be home or on the road. He's really been sensational, in particular with the fastball. And he gets that fastball by some guys. In fact, it's the lowest batting average against of any starting pitcher with the number of innings pitched that he has gone this year. Just a 152 average against the fastball, but it's not just one-dimensional. The off-speed pitches have also been, well, a little bit. More difficult to hit.
Speaker 7: I was going to say, he's got so much stuff, so many pitches.
Speaker 2: Seems like the release point, game in, game out, pitch in, pitch out. He's just a model of consistency.
Speaker 3: And in consistency also, Charlie, with his mechanics in delivering the baseball. He stands right in the middle of the rubber. Not to one side, not to the other. He is absolutely spot on. as far as the balance all the way through his delivery. He is something to really watch and hopefully a very big night tonight, but he's going to have to have some runs scored behind him.
Speaker 7: Bryson Motts, M-A-U-T-Z, making his third appearance for the Cardinals. It's going to be a bullpen game tonight, a lefty, and so Dave Roberts has juggled the lineup a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and for Motts, only two starts that he's had, two appearances in a. 345 batting average against him. You face someone that's new, yes, you're going to scouting reports, but The biggest thing is continue having good pitch selection, which the Dodgers, I thought, did a better job, and I think they've done a better job in at least two of the last three games that they've played.
Speaker 7: Edmonds starting in center field, batting second tonight. Muncie with the lefty aboard is batting eighth at third base. We'll get to the lineups and first pitch in just a minute.
Speaker 4: All right, Rick Monday and Charlie Steiner will start the game. Tim Nevrit will follow. And also, we'll have the highlights after the game tonight, plus post-game reaction and Dodger talk.
Speaker 6: Enjoy the game. I'm David Vasse.
Speaker 4: This is the Back-to-Back World Series Champion Dodgers Audio Network.