Speaker 1: The following takes place between six pm and seven pm.
Speaker 2: You want answers.
Speaker 3: I think I'm entitled you one answer. You can't handle the truth, the true true. Hey, Hey, here we go six oh eight seven hundred WLW Welcome in RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. I'm Lance McAllister. I'm pleased to have you here. You know what we have tonight, three full hours, just like we like it. Man, do we have things that get to today. Let's start with the headline so we can go. Trade Deadline Day in the NFL proved moderately active for the Bengals. They did make a trade. They traded linebacker Logan Wilson to the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for a seventh round pick, originally a third round pick of the Bengals in twenty two twenty. He played in seventy six regular season games with sixty five starts, also seven postseason starts. He'd requested a trade in recent weeks. He's tied for the NFL lead in interceptions by linebackers since twenty twenty, with eleven and a half. He ranks third in Bengals history among linebackers with interceptions James Rapine reacts at six twenty deadline shockers. The seven to two Colts get Sauce Gardner from the Jets in exchange for two first round picks. The former Bearcats All American hooks up with lou Anarumo, now in Indy. Then the Jets traded three time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Quinn Williams to the Cowboys for a first round pick next year and a second round pick in twenty twenty six and a first round pick in twenty twenty seven. The Jets now have five first round picks in the next two drafts. College football, you see linebacker Jake Golday named a semi finalists for the Buckus Award, given to the top line in college football. The Bearcats are off this week, so no Scott Saderfield Show tonight. First college football playoff rankings are released tonight at eight o'clock. It's maction tonight. In a Battle of the Bricks, the Miami RedHawks and Ohio Bobcats hookup from Athens. College Basketball UK opens versus Nichols tonight seven o'clock on ESPN. Fifteen thirty top ranked Perdue the Boilermakers hosting Evansville. The Musketeers beat Merrist last night. Talk about it tonight on The Richard Patino Show at seven on fifty five ker see you see women open open the season tonight at home against Lehigh Action minutes away on fifty five KRC Soccer, I've seen Cincinnati went back to work preparing for Game three, the decider of their first round playoff series against Columbus Crew on Saturday. Baseball. The Red's Hot Stove League Show returns tomorrow night, six o'clock right here on seven hundred WLW. I will file with Sports Talk seven to nine. I'll have to come up with Red's offseason question number four for us to discuss. Tomorrow night. The Reds kick off free agency by pouncing on a free agent right hander, Keegan Thompson one year major league contract. The thirty year old spent the entire twenty twenty five season with Triple A IOWA in the Cups organization, posting a four point fifty earned run average over sixty four innings between the pen and rotation. He made one hundred and four appearances twenty three as a starter in parts of four major league seasons with the Cups and injury news for the Padres Veterans starter you darbish under went successful UCL that's owner collateral ligament repair surgery. He will miss the twenty twenty six season. Those are your headlines. Remember if you ever missed the show, if you missed Bengals line last night, if you miss Sports Talk, if you missed the roundtable show, individual interviews, got you covered two spots seven hundred WLW dot com and through the iHeartRadio app. Podcast presented by Modern Office Methods, your trusted reco dealer. They help businesses bring printing in house with high speed, high volume production equipment Modern Office Methods. When every minute counts, you can count on Mom. All right, Doc at tonight looks as follows James Peen. At six point twenty, we'll talk about the Logan Wilson trade. You and me. We will do that. After six thirty we'll get into things that Zach said yesterday I found fascinating. Long about seven thirty tonight, I want to talk about and remember Bob Trumpy and take your calls on that. So we've got a lot to get to. Let's get to it. This is RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: All right, let'.
Speaker 3: Sort through what has transpired today for the Bengals and around the NFL. Who better to do that with than my leadoff guest tonight, he covers the Bengals his publisher of Bengals Talk dot com. You got to listen to the Cincinni Bengals Talk and locked on Bengals podcast. Man has he been busy today? Let's welcome in James Orpene. How are you well?
Speaker 5: Answer?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 3: I'm well? I'm curious. I'll ask the question everybody's wondering and everybody's discussing today, the trade of Logan Wilson. Your reaction to Logan to the Cowboys for a seventh round draft pick.
Speaker 6: I think given the position that they put themselves in, which is benching their captain in the savor of her rookie and looking at his contract, I think.
Speaker 5: This makes sense.
Speaker 6: You wanted to get that contract off the books. You free up roughly five point two million dollars in cap space if you combined this year and next year and what they'll save, and so it stinks, but it beats the alternative of you keep Logan around until February.
Speaker 5: You cut it.
Speaker 6: You have a bigger cap hit. You don't have any cap savings, you don't have any seventh round pick, and he's still signing elsewhere. So did they handle everything right leading up to it, from the benching and everything involved there that really hurt his trade value. No, By getting something and getting someone to take on that contract, I think it was worth it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Here's what I And you bring up a point that I've never understood in all of this when when they initially did this with Logan, it to me it just it screamed rebuild and we're moving on, and yet they were still in it, and yet by doing it, they exposed themselves to the inexperience and the problems that came with it. It just it seemed like mixed messaging or goals.
Speaker 6: You can totally agree, And I've asked Zach a few times about the plan because he's like, yeah, we got to play the young guys, and I get it.
Speaker 5: At like a left guard.
Speaker 6: You drafted Dylan Fairchild to play left guard and start right away.
Speaker 5: You knew that on draft day.
Speaker 6: Demetrius Knight, even if you disagreed with the pick at the time, you drafted him to do that to play linebacker, for you. You took him in the second round. You knew he was going to start from day one or replace Jermaine Prep. Fine, but Logan wasn't so bad that you had to bench.
Speaker 5: And in turn, when you did that, you're right.
Speaker 6: You open yourselves up to a lot of mistakes when you're still very much in it, when you had just traded for Joe Flacco. Barrett Carter's first start was Joe Flacco's first start at Lambo, and you have just traded for Joe Flacko, you're trying to stay in it.
Speaker 5: And the other element here is.
Speaker 6: It completely tanks any value Logan Wilson might have had. So there are a lot of people that look at this and say, you couldn't get a fifth for Logan Wilson or a sixth for Logan Wilson. Well, maybe you could have if he had another thirty tackles and he was on the field and maybe had an inner or two, and they made the move then. And I do think it's a questionable move that as of now, has it made them better. Maybe it will, but benching Logan Wilson has not made them better on defense, And the past four games are pretty obvious where the defense has had every opportunity, even at Lambo at third and eight, to get the ball back to Joe Flacko in the Bengals kit to win that game, an opportunity to put the Steelers away, didn't do it. Multiple opportunities to put the Jets away, an opportunity to put the Bears away. This defense hasn't done it. And you do wonder, man, if Logan was out there, would he have made a play, just that one play that could have put one of those games away.
Speaker 3: Are you surprised Trey Hendrickson is still here.
Speaker 5: I'm not surprised.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm disappointed, but there's there's so many layers to this. I'm disappointed because I'm afraid that we're.
Speaker 5: Going to go down the same path that.
Speaker 6: They went down this past year, which is trade just kind of in the wind. They can franchise tag him, and his agent left him open for the franchise tag, and I think that's very much in play. I know he dismissed that a few months ago, but I do. I think that's very much in play. Once upon a time, Lance I told t Higgins, like, watch out for that tag again. They're going to tag you next year. This wasn't during an interview. This is just me and him chatting. He was like, don't say that. I was like, I'm telling you. And guess what they did.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 6: They ended up keeping Tea because Joe Brow moved mountains behind the scenes to do so. But you get my point here is this this Tray thing. Now, it's just continuing to dangle and it is a distraction and it is an issue, and it impacts Trey and it messes with him, and I get it. You need playmakers. Fine, well, if you need playmakers, then pay him, and if you don't want to pay him, then trade him. And instead it's this weird in between where they're three and six. But Tray's gonna come back and he's gonna help them some and they're gonna be in this little middle ground. But I don't think any team should want to be in, and I think that's where they're going to be.
Speaker 3: They had a number of other expiring contracts, be it Cam Taylor Bridge, Genostone long list, Joseph's side, long list of brothers. Should they have done more today beyond Logan Wilson and not doing something with Trey?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know me of course they should have.
Speaker 6: I mean, of course they do you think Let me ask you this, do you think that the Bengals and maybe no one wanted to trade for Genostone? But do you think they're worse a Gino Stone just isn't on the roster outside of depth. No, I mean I don't, and I'm not trying to be mean the Geno, but he should have tackled Coastal Love Them the other day. Jordan Battle should have tackled Coastal Love.
Speaker 5: Them the other day.
Speaker 6: I just some of these guys Joseph O's side, You've had so many opportunities to be a consistent player for this team and it hasn't happened. You couldn't get a pick spot for Josepho's side that Joseph try On, a Trion could deal with the Bears where the Browns send Joe try On.
Speaker 5: To the Bear like.
Speaker 6: Of course you could have. And so those are the type of deals that I think that I would have been open to. I wanted them to be open to because I'm not sure it makes you worse. It hurts your depth a little bit, but I'm not sure it makes you worse, and it gives you, more resources, more tools for the future. So yeah, Cam Taylor Britt would have been one like Cam, but would have been open to dealing him Joseph Osai for sure, in plenty of these other guys on expiring contracts or just guys that don't seem like they're going to be part of the long term plan.
Speaker 3: Did you anticipate yesterday when you guys spoke with Zach, did you anticipate any change to the coaching staff?
Speaker 5: I did not.
Speaker 6: So much so, and this is not a shameless plug. I just want to make it clear of how much I, without talking to anyone, without asking anyone.
Speaker 5: Knew they weren't going to make a move.
Speaker 6: I had recorded my podcast before Zach talked before Locker Room and said they're not going to make a move. We won't have to come back and record one, and talked about the coaching staff why they shouldn't. I don't really blame them for not making a move coaching staff wise. And here's why, I asked Al Golden, and this is after I recorded the Lockdown BDALS podcast too. I asked Al Golden, Hey, is there any teaching point for Jordan Battle in that situation against Colston Loveland, like, no, I just get him to the.
Speaker 5: Ground and so at some point and I did it.
Speaker 6: The defense has been so bad and it looks so bad, But I refuse to believe that this coach that people eight months ago, nine months ago, ten months ago were saying was the best defensive coordinator in the country at Notre Dame just forgot how to coach. And the other proof I have is lou Anarumo goes to the Colts and he clearly.
Speaker 5: Didn't forget how to coach. So like fool me once it's all on the move.
Speaker 6: Well, clearly it wasn't it Fine? But I'm still okay with the change because I think they got a good coach and now Golden it doesn't look good now and they're so bad. Fine, but that does firing Al Golden today make them better? Like they're all on the hot seat. We know that they're three and six, like they should all be.
Speaker 5: On the hot seat. Zack's on the hot seat. They're all on the hot seat.
Speaker 6: So making a move now, I'm not sure that matters, but they better be better.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: It's it's a shame because I I'm just shocked at how bad it's gotten. Like this is this is comically bad. I've covered some bad teams, like I mean, when we were working together daily. Think about some of those twenty seventeen twenty eighteen Bengals Marvin and of Marvin era defenses. They were bad, yep, but it wasn't like this. This is the worst I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Got about a minute. You've in covering all those teams, been in that locker room for high points and low points. Describe the vibe Sunday after the game in that locker room.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I mean starting to come to the realization of what they are.
Speaker 5: And it's maddening.
Speaker 6: I think it's maddening you because you see one side, and you know it's this offensive line that I think has done a pretty darn good job in the Joe Flacco era. And obviously you have the skill guys that are just unbelievable. I mean, Jamar and t have been just insane, and Andre steps up and Chase Brown's making plays and I know he had a few drops, but all these guys.
Speaker 5: Are making places for Joe Flacco. The offensive line is playing well, and the defense just can't make a play.
Speaker 6: Of course, a turnover can't get off the field third and ten, Caleb Williams just rolls out and runs for fourteen yards against the That's the hidden play in all of this. They had him at third down, yep, And I don't think anyone in the building was confident they were getting a stop, and so I think that's it. And I don't know how they fix it on defense, I really don't. I've I just kind of expected to come back to the mean a little bit, but it's just been so bad that I would be throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall. And that's why I would have been open to trading some of those guys. I really would have. And maybe they were right. I don't think so. I just know their history and how they operate. I don't think they were pushing cam Taylor Bride or pushing a bj Hill trade or push to get his contract off the books, or you know, open to trading Jordan. Battle just didn't feel like that. But they probably should have just just switch it up.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 5: You never know what a little new life could bring you. We've seen that with Joe Flacco.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I think reality has said in a bit on this team, for sure.
Speaker 3: You have been cranking out the content, not just today but day after day. What do you have up now? It will be coming and how can listeners partake in all of it?
Speaker 6: I just posted a lock on Bengals podcast. We've relive on Cincinnati Bengals Talk on YouTube for an hour. Plenty of stuff there. I'm looking at Bengals Talk dot com and there are a bunch of articles reacting to the Logan Wilson deale reacting to their lack of trades with Trey hendrickson the cap space that they saved for Logan Wilson. The actual pick that the Cowboys are sending isn't the Cowboys that details there. There's so much at Bengals Talk dot com as well.
Speaker 2: Busy day.
Speaker 3: I appreciate your carbon out of time.
Speaker 5: Thank you, absolutely thanks.
Speaker 3: There you go, James Rapine got it covered on the Bengals front. We'll take a time out, get a check on news, get into Logan Wilson, more Arnel Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevallet seven hundred WLW Man. That scene in Louisville absolutely horrific. Thoughts and prayers to all involved and around the area. Daughter lives three miles from the airport and sent me the shelter in place that she got about an hour ago for everybody within five miles and just absolutely I can't even I mean, the flames and the smoke and the scope of it is unbelievable. Man. College basketball got underway last night. I've never understood why they don't make a bigger deal out of opening night in college basketball, just like it starts and then it just continues on, and it seems like it should be like a and on Monday Night. I mean, if you did it tonight, you wouldn't have Monday night football as part of the spotlight. And it just seems like there should be like an opening day and opening night of college basketball extravaganza around the country and big billing and stuff like that, and it never happened. Everybody won around here. Everybody won around like the Tri State, with the exception of unfortunately the Ohio Bobcats. I think UC beat Western Carolina ninety four sixty three. The freshman Sean Abayev and Mustapha Chom and Boba Miller had eighteen apiece. Xavier beat Maris last night. Malik Massina more led him with I think they had four and double figures. He had sixteen points and he tossed in three boards and two assists and a steal. Miami beat ODU and in a god that was the mac Sun Belt Conference Challenge. The opener eighty seven seventy two. The Pride of Cuvcat Evan Ipsarrow had sixteen. For the Blackhawks or RedHawks, I'm sorry. NKU beat you see Claremont one twenty six to sixty nine. The North scored sixty three in the first half and they scored sixty three in the second half. Cale Robinson had twenty two. That twenty six point total tied their school record. They are at Tennessee on Saturday. We are going to Knoxville this weekend for the bye and I had no idea in our planning. It just didn't hit me to think of the look at the road schedule and find out that the Norse were on the road. I gonna go to the game. Dayton beat Canisius last night by forty eleventh. Frank Louisville and Pat Kelsey beat South Carolina State one oh four forty five. South Carolina State coach by the former Bearcat, Eric Martin. Ohio State outslugged IU Indy one eighteen to one oh two sixty six point first half for the Buckeyes. Right State beat Franklin eighty six thirty seven. Chris Mack and Charleston beat Tusculum, Mick and UCLA one. The Bobcats of Ohio University lost to Arkansas State. You know what I really like about Richard Patino, and not just because he was on the show last week. I enjoyed the conversation with you, but he does his own social media and he tweeted his thoughts on the game last night. In a grade four, he tweeted this afternoon thoughts on last night one student section A plus two. The defense C plus terrific in the first half, took our foot off the gas in the second turned them over three. The offense D minus screening was poor, shot selection was below average. Did a great job getting to the free throw line and for rebounding C minus minus two in the glass not good enough. Got a fight. I liked that does his own social media and does the report card after the games. All right, So the Bengals trade Logan Wilson today to the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for a seventh round pick Zach Taylor saying, and I quote, I appreciate everything Logan has done as a player and as a person during his time in Cincinnati. He has been a central part of our defense for over the past six years, and he will be remembered as a leader in our locker room. I wish him the best moving forward. End quote from Zach Taylor. I find it fascinating, if not unacceptable, that Zach Taylor is the one who has to issue the quotes when they trade a player. Look around the league today the number of a different general man who held news conferences and issued quotes about the trades they made. And Zach Taylor is the one who has to make the quotes available for the media. I find that I do. I find that fascinating. Joe Goodbarry locked on Bengals on the brain. So many different platforms locked on Bengals with James Rapeen. Joe Goodberry does Bengals on the brain. And he tweeted the following. This was earlier this morning, before the trade. I think he tweeted. Like everyone in the Bengals twenty twenty five defense, Logan Wilson was struggling. He seemed a step slower had to deal with blockers more often and missed a handful of tackles, but he was still their best linebacker and had some very good games in twenty twenty five. He was dominant in Week one and showed signs of life in a reduced role the last few weeks. If he looks better in a new setting, I wouldn't be shocked. Joe Goodbarry earlier today, you know, speaking that Week one. I went back this morning and I listened to the conversation we had with Logan on Bengals line. Here is Logan Wilson when he joined us talking about the Week one win over the Browns, and I asked him about that young linebacker group. Take a listen to what he told me. How does it feel to be a part of a unit that steps up on a day where the offense isn't working at its highest optimum level, but the defense makes plays and seals a game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean it felt really good. There was a lot of doubters and stuff throughout the whole offseason. We knew we were capable of. We were very intrinsically motivated. We didn't really care about all the external factors that were going on. Outside the building, and we believed in one another, believe in the coaching staff, and since Al's gotten here, like that's just kind of been our mantra as a stack a day, brick by brick, and we went out and did a lot of good things yesterday and found a way to come away with a win. And honestly, that's the most important thing is finding ways to win. Especially week one. It's never going to be very clean or as perfect as you want to be. That's the nature of week one because no one has played a full game. Even if you've played in some of the preseason, you haven't played an entire game, and some of those factors come into count.
Speaker 3: You're the widely veteran of that linebacker group. Now. Dimitrius Knights, the rookie, played fifty eight snaps yesterday. What was it like playing with him? Communication? How do things go?
Speaker 8: Kid plays with his hair on fire, He's super twitchy, and it's just good to have a guy like that playing next year. He's just going to find a way to make plays. He's always he's running to the ball. That's the one thing I told him, I said, dude, you're gonna make mistakes today. I've said, but the one thing you can control is your efforts. I just fly around and make plays, and he definitely did that. And he's going to continue to grow at the more reps he gets and continue to be a really good player for US.
Speaker 3: Logan Wilson back in Week one on Bengals line I was looking at Pro Football Focus this morning linebacker grades. Out of eighty two linebackers in the NFL who qualify with enough snaps overall grade at the linebacker position, Logan Wilson ranks fifty eighth out of eighty two, Barrett Carter eightieth out of eighty two, and Dimitrius Knight Junior eighty two out of eighty two. In terms of run defense grade out of eighty six qualified linebackers, Logan was sixty third against the run, Barrett eighty second against the run, Demetrius eighty sixth against the run. In terms of pass coverage out of seventy five qualifying linebackers, Logan ranked fifty second out of seventy five, Dimitrious Night Junior fifty fourth, and Barrett Carter sixty first. So it's the young guys show. It's theirs to do with it. What they can in the remaining eight games of the season. It's been that way since they demoted Logan Wilson. Zach talked yesterday about the opportunities in clearing the way for young guys to find their voice or how that is established. Listen to what Zach said yesterday.
Speaker 2: I'm not afraid for young guys to step up.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 9: It doesn't have to be a veteran. Doesn't have to be a three, four, five, six, seven year veteran. It can be you that's done things the right way and is accountable and the guys respond to and it doesn't have to be perfect. But I think those young linebackers have leadership qualities, and guys see the way they work and how much it means to them, and so if they were to speak, I think that guys would listen to them, you know, And I think there's a lot of guys that fit that that. I remember Sam Hubbard going through this is young player kind of afraid to speak because there were other veterans in the room that kind of had that position and always pushing him to take guys respect the way you work. Eventually that clicked for him and he took over that ownership and was a tremendous leadership for us. There's similar positions I feel right now where we're pushing guys, don't be afraid, don't be afraid.
Speaker 2: To step on toes.
Speaker 9: That's we just want to win games, and we want everyone to be accountable and if you got leadership qualities, step up and say something. Sometimes there's quiet leadership too, guys just doing what they do and doing it the right way. And guys respond to that as well, so that when they do speak every so often then it really resonates with other guys.
Speaker 2: And we got some of that as well.
Speaker 3: Zach Taylor yesterday, Still Ahead, Zach was asked twice about how the front off is feels about where things are right now. What he said, when we continue RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW, let's keep rolling. Hey, I'm on X at Lance Pacallister. I'm honored if you follow thank you. If you don't, I'd be honored if you joined us. You could contribute to the show during the show, be a part of the conversation, even added the conversation outside the show. I'm always twenty four to seven on X Atlance Pcallister joined us in the fun. This is not fun. I'm looking at Jay Morrison from Bengals Talk dot com and he has a list through Sunday through last night of the NFL missed tackle leaders around the league. This is according to sports Radar, which tracks such things. Number one in most mistackles, Jordan Battle of the Bengals fifteen, number two in most mistackles, Dimitris Knight Junior Bengals fourteen, tied for third, Gino Stone Cincinnati Bengals thirteen and tied for ninth. Barrett Carter Bengals with ten. Bengals have four in the top nine in terms of mistackles through week nine of the NFL season. My head hurts. Yesterday, Zach met with the media traditional Monday gathering and was asking a couple of different times about the front office. And this aspect has always amused and confused me. I want you to take a listen, Zach answering the first question about the front office.
Speaker 10: Here it is, Zach, what's been Duke's assessment of just what's going on defensively and what may be able to improve after the Bobbo.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna speak for anybody. I mean for us, we got to execute better.
Speaker 9: Obviously, We've got to get everybody on the same page and execute the fundamentals and the details of what we're trying to do. And I think everyone's in favor of that, and everyone wants to do that. We just we haven't done a great job of that, especially over the last couple of weeks, and so we're all.
Speaker 2: Accountable for that.
Speaker 9: That's what we'll spend our why week doing as coaches, trying to find a way to get everybody to play on the same page all the time. We've got a lot of young players that are out there at the same time, and so getting those guys the experience they need together is only going to make us better in the future. And so again we're just working through all that.
Speaker 2: Guys are all accountable for it.
Speaker 9: Everybody wants to play winning defense, winning football, winning team, football, winning offense, all that stuff.
Speaker 2: So that's what we'll continue to try to.
Speaker 3: Do, Zach Taylor. Yesterday, he was asked again during that news conference about conversations with the front office and the de facto general manager, Duke Tobin. Listen to what he said.
Speaker 10: I know you're not going to give us exactly what conversations have been like but when it comes to duke toe and our ownership and name said are main confident in the side.
Speaker 9: I should not speak for anybody. We have great staff, great great conversations. Everyone's on the same page that we just want to win and we want to look good when we're winning. Yeah, and there's nobody that lacks accountability in any area. We're all just trying to do everything we can to get better. But I'm certainly not gonna speak for anybody.
Speaker 3: Accountability. Remember that word. It'll come into play in our next segment after the news. But can you imagine going through a season like this, a season of major disappointment, a step back for the franchise, and only offering up your head coach to talk about it, serving up Zach Taylor to answer, an attempt to explain and defend and carry water for the organization. You know, the word accountability was uttered by Zach seven times yesterday, seven times I counted. Has a word ever been thrown around more by an organization and applied less than in the Bengals organization. Accountability only applies to the players. It never goes up the chain, It only trickles down the chain. You know fans faced A number of fans faced a season ticket opt out deadline last week. There's been a lot of soul searching going on by a lot of fans asked to make decisions and not provided answers about a plan only hearing from the head coach. Jason Williams of The Inquirer wrote, I think it was Monday. Someone in the front office needs to answer for this immediately. It starts with hearing from Duke Tobin, who's the architect of the roster. It's all that matters right now. As angry as anger and apathy builds in a fan base that has led to that has led to believe the days of the Bengals being a national punchline ended with a Super Bowl run four seasons ago, and Jason wrote, I requested an interview with Tobin last Wednesday. Others in the local media have too. The Bengals are considering making their player Personnel director available to questions this week. The club typically does not make Tobin or anyone in the front office available for interviews during the season, but Jason concluded things have haven't been this bad for the club in several years, and fans need to hear from Tobin. The strong locker room culture that Taylor has built is fracturing. The Bengals have a playoff caliber offense on one hand, but on the other they have the worst defense in the NFL by far. Let's hope, he writes, Tobin provides answers for the fans. It's the bye week, no better time to hear from the roster architect. Surely Tobin and ownership are disgusted and embarrassed. The fans demand accountability from the organization asap. I just watched during the break the press conference the media session that Eagles GM Howie Roseman held with the media this afternoon, and he explained why they did what they did today, and he talked about their vision and their philosophy and their goals. And I saw that in a quote offered up by Chris Ballard, the Colts general manager today, It just again, I maybe fascinating is the wrong word. Maybe it's infuriating. I just find it fascinating that Zach has to answer for everything that happens in this organization. He's just the coach. Are now Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevallet seven hund WLW.
Speaker 1: The following takes place between seven pm and eight pm.
Speaker 3: All right, let's keep rolling already, our numbnumber two unfolding a total of three. I'm glad you were here. Thank you. A little bit later on say bottom they are. Let's talk a little Bob Trump, remember the Bengal legend and the broadcasting legend, and share some stories. You're going to hear some stories he told me over the years that coming up at seven point thirty. I very much look forward to your input on that. In fact, after an hour of talking to Bengals and James R. Peene and you heard from James and from me, and from Zach Taylor and from Logan Wilson, I would love to hear from you now on the trade deadline and where things are at this moment in your mind. At five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand and one, eight hundred, the Big One jump into this. Let's talk some Bengals. To kick off this hour, I mentioned the number of gms around the NFL today who made trades who publicly then commented on those trades. Chris Ballard, general manager of the Colts. They swing the big deal, they bring in Sauce Gardner handing to lou Anroumo. Chris Ballard, the general manager of the Colts, said quote, having the opportunity to acquire a talented player like saw Us Gardner was one we did not want to pass on. He was a player that we scouted heavily coming out of college and there's a reason he was the fourth overall pick. Sauce is a proven cornerback. His skill and competitive nature will elevate everyone's play on the defensive unit. We are thrilled he is a cult The general manager of the Colts, Chris Ballard, explaining to his fans today what they are doing, why they are doing it, and what their plans are now. Interesting and of note, I am not a frequent viewer of the Pro Football Talk Live show. That is Mike Florio and Chris Simms. Listen to what Mike Florio dropped about the Bengals organization and Duke Tobin.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 11: It is jobs are on the line, you said earlier. They're constantly evaluating everyone. Players who will be back or not be back, coaches who will be back or not be back. There's this bubbling up now. The Duke Tobin, the de facto GM, is going to be out. We'll see maybe during the bye week, maybe sooner. But heads are going to roll in Cincinnati. This is unacceptable because it's largely unprecedented.
Speaker 3: How bad this defense is. I believe that when I see it, I don't. I wouldn't trust Mike Florio. Further, I could throw him. I'd almost be in a position to say if Duke Tobin were to be out this week, if that were to happen, I would ride a tricycle around Fountain Square and address And I've already done that once in my life. So I'm not daring that to happen. I just I don't believe that's the case. I don't believe heads are going to roll. I don't believe it's unacceptable until shown otherwise. Zach was asked yesterday about potential changes to the coaching staff. Take a listen to what Bengals head coach Zach Taylor said.
Speaker 5: Did you consider any staff changes over the past four hours? What gives you the belief that.
Speaker 2: These these are good football coaches.
Speaker 9: They've been successful everywhere they've been and so again, we're still in the first half of the season.
Speaker 2: We all know we got to play better.
Speaker 9: As a football team has been challenges or offenses faced. Of course the season, we worked through them. We're playing better for it. There's challenges are defense they're facing right now. I'm confident that we're going to work through it. We're gonna play better football and find a way to win some games.
Speaker 3: Can you clarify you don't plan to make any step change on the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 2: I believe in these guys absolutely, Zach Taylor.
Speaker 3: Yesterday at his weekly Monday gathering with the media, he was asked by I think our guy Trags joins this Thursday night, six twenty on the Roundtable Show with Rocky this week at the Hebrew Location where that will be the second of a five week run at the Hebrew location. Stop buying hang out with us on Thursday night from six to eight o'clock. But I believe it was Trags. You'll hear the question who asked what Zach would say to two outsiders, two fans who wonder why change isn't coming. Here's Zach.
Speaker 2: From the outside.
Speaker 12: Zach, A lot of people wonder why losing five of six the way the last two games have ended, why don't you make changes? Is their status quo acceptable? And people wonder on the outside, why do you feel that you do have the solutions in the building and not make any change.
Speaker 2: Why is that.
Speaker 9: Because I've been through this situation before. We've been through this situation many years and come out the other side playing for championships when in divisions, by sticking with what we believe in and not doing what everybody wants you to do. By sticking with it, I'm thankful that in twenty twenty they didn't kick me out of here, so we really to go to the super Bowl the next year. And so again, I believe in the people that we've hired. I sit in there, I watch these guys coach. I know what they're made of. I know where we can continue to grow. And so when you believe in people, you don't just make a gut reaction from what people want to see that aren't necessarily a part of it. I understand the frustration.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 9: I'd be frustrated to if I was outside of the building. We're going to get it fixed, We're going to continue to work it. I trust every coach we got in this building to get it done, or else they wouldn't be here, we wouldn't hire them in the first place, and so again I got firm belief that we can get this done and we can do with the we have and find a way to get some wins. And again we just there's some things we got to clean up, we got to do better. There's a coaching side of that too, where we got to find ways to push the right buttons for these guys to get them exactly to do.
Speaker 2: It how we want to do it. But I trust that we can get that done.
Speaker 3: Zach Taylor yesterday in meeting with the media, let me give you one more from Zach, and he was asked if and I think this was memory serves. I think this may have been trags again if this group of young players, specifically more specifically defensive young players, if they have a grasp of this situation where this season is right now, and an appreciation for the state of this team right now. Here's what Zach said, Do you think.
Speaker 12: The young players feel the way the significance of season slumping away and we.
Speaker 9: Came Well, we've talked about it, We've talked about this. This can't be a last season for us. This has got to be We got to come out of this by rejuvenated and find.
Speaker 2: A way to win.
Speaker 9: And winning one game certainly propels you, and you've got to build some momentum off of that. We had a chance after the Pittsburgh game and kind of waste the two opportunities there, and how much different things could have been if we had finished these two games out. We'd still have issues we have to address, but we'd be in a better position, and so we just got to find a way to kickstart that and build our own momentimum there. So we got players young and old that are accountable. They all want to do well. They're all again I say this a lot, they're all made of the right stuff. We have a good locker room. I know yesterday is frustrating, emotional after a game like that, that's not to be unexpected. But we'll just continue to get back to work and keep grinding.
Speaker 3: Zach Taylor yesterday. This from Todd Archer of ESPO, who covers the Dallas Cowboys logan Wilson's new team. Todd used to work here as well in the city. I was the inquirer or the post. I can't remember. It's been so long, Todd Archer, tweeting the following Bengals coach Zach Taylor informed Logan Wilson to the trade this morning. He went to the team facility immediately Logan Wilson did. Logan says, quote, I went in and said my goodbyes to all the people that poured into me and that I helped pour into them. So it was a tough goodbye, but it was a time for a fresh start. Logan Wilson. Earlier this morning, let's grab some calls, get you into this conversation in Cincinnati. Charlie, you were on seven hundred WLW welcome.
Speaker 13: Lam spend, appreciate it. Hey, I'm just have two points. The first point with Duke Tobin. You know I can't get into too much, but Duke Tobin is a figurehead for this team. He is a buffer from the ownership. They are the ones who make the decisions of the personnel. They negotiate all the contracts. Duke Tobin is not making the day to day decisions on personnel. That's why you don't hear from him there. He'd be not be able to provide any color.
Speaker 3: Or anything like that.
Speaker 13: I would encourage you guys in the immediate to ask more about the structure of the organization.
Speaker 3: But who would who would those questions be asked too? They don't make themselves available.
Speaker 13: No, I agree, I just I think Duke Tobin's taking the brunt of the most of the points, and this fault on Katie Blackburn and Mike Brown. My second point to all this is, if you go back to twenty eighteen, we have hit on like foundational pieces exactly three draft picks Jamar, Chase, Burrow, and Higgins. Outside of that on a foundational level, name another draft pick that we've hit on since twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: Would that's a great point. I'd say Chase Brown to be fair. But to your bigger point, my daughter, my twenty three year old daughter, could have drafted Joe Burrow, Chase Brown, and T. Higgins or right, Jamar, Chase and T Higgins.
Speaker 13: I don't disagree. They can't miss prospect and you know Jaith Brown, yes, but in terms of foundational pieces, a left tackle or a defensive lineman. You know, our first round draft pick this year has I mean, you can't even find him on the field half the time. And I would just encourage people to this is an ownership problem. This is Katie Blackburn, This is Mike Brown. You know they have a much bigger say, well, but I don't Charlie.
Speaker 3: But Charlie, I guess i'd ask, why would you be letting Duke Tobin off the hook? Nobody should be off the hook above the head coach. They should all be on the hook. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna less It shouldn't be lessened for Duke. There is no accountability that goes up in the organization. It's only used by the head coach and it's applied down to his players.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 14: I don't disagree, I'm just saying.
Speaker 13: My point being is Duke Tobin is not the one making the personnel decision this we need as a city. It's on Mike Brown, It's on Katie Blackburn, and Duke to been simply a buffer in there to make it look like we have a GM. You know, like take the Reds for example. You know they've have their ups and downs, but you've got to give them credit. They're trying to win. They have peace, you.
Speaker 3: Know, the personal place.
Speaker 13: But in terms of you know, the pieces, you look at every single Major League or every single NFL TA you have a practice facility. He even FC Cincinnati has a practice facility. Cincinnati is the only one that doesn't have a separate practice facility. They don't invest in the team. That's why we can't it free agents here. You know this sounds ancillary, but even you know in terms of like dining for the players, it's clearly every year it's one of the worst rated in f Why would you not want your players to have the best possible nutrition. They don't invest in the team, and then they come to the county and.
Speaker 3: Ask for four hundred million.
Speaker 13: As all these other places, whether it's Nashville or Cleveland or Buffalo, they're building these stadiums on their own, on their own dime for the most part, and ours is looking for a renovation because they're just cheap and didn't want to spend money. And whether they win or not, did get that NFL revenue share.
Speaker 3: Charlie, I got to run. I got to run. I appreciate your point in your spraying to all fields now and opening up a whole conversation for a a a whole year of conversation on a variety of things. I will say this. You mentioned the Reds. That's the same organization who's president of Baseball operations told Mark Sheldon and the media today that quote, our twenty twenty six payroll will be around the same as our payroll from twenty twenty five. End quote seven twenty RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevalet. Seven hundred WLW seven five seven hundred WLW RNL Carrier Sports Dock presented by Kelsey Chevallet. I've got a blog. It's seven hundred WLW dot com, the one hundred and forty second edition of My Random Thoughts, posted on Friday night. If Facebook is your thing, I'm there. Join us. We're talking Bengals, also talking about the Red's news of the day Facebook pages. Lance McAllister Sports Talk jump in on either front. We'll talk talk to godfather of sports talk, Bob Trumpy coming up out of news. I'd be interested in hearing your stories and recollections of his impact, either as a Bengal and or as a broadcaster. We'll do that. Coming up after the bottom of the hour news in Lexington, Let's talk Bengals in the trade deadline. Joe, what do you know?
Speaker 7: Hey, Lance, thanks for having me on, but what's on your mind? Well, you know, I love the term I can show you better than I can tell you. And I would show Duke Tobin Blackburn and my Brown family the anguish and the parody of the Commons fan is next time Cincinnati has a home game, the seats would be empty. And uh the reason I say that is, uh uh, the fans are the ones really losing. I mean, sure, the players hurt, and I get that, but they're millionaires. Okay, they're They're going to go on about their day and I know they want to win, but the front office has to go And to me, as a fan, my input Mike Brown, please sell the team because it to have the offense they have now and and to let Logan Wilson walk and and maybe that's a reflection of the problems they had with Stewart and all the hype and all the conversation with him and and all the things said during the off season with Trey it's it's just toxic. And uh, it's it's for the common fan. My heart really goes out. You know, I do well, but there's a lot of fans that that don't. There's a lot of fans that that just you know, barely make it a third.
Speaker 3: Had sure, but but Joe. Also, what you're asking is for them, those individuals who spent their harder money on tickets to not go. What I mean, what that seems counterproductive. You've already got the tickets. Why would you not use them?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 7: Well, well I get that a typeset. Yeah, you know, I'm not what I'm what I'm saying is is they I don't really see them actually caring about the fan base because if they did, they would have somebody that could draft talent. They could have somebody that that would really get impact players. And they fail to do so. And it's not just one year, it's a year after year. I'm sure they you know, blind squirrel can finding the corn once in a while. I get that. And you know, I mean Zach Tiller, you know, I think he's a great coach. But the Logan Wilson thing and and the fact that they don't they're not aggressive like in the draft, like trading up and maybe getting that defensive player or like Rokwan Smith the Baltimore God, do we even go after players in the trade.
Speaker 4: We didn't this year.
Speaker 7: I mean, so what are the Bengals, what are they saying that what they're cutting their losses and they're forgetting about this year. And you know, I don't know. And let me ask you this, did Mike Jesse Bates? Was it because I don't know? Was it the fact that Mike Brown they didn't have the money?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, no no, they they always have the money. They have money now. They just didn't consider it. They didn't consider it value for a safety and thought they could survive without it. They're still searching for safeties back there. Yeah, Joe, I hear you feel. I feel your frustration. It comes through loud and claied. I appreciate you. Check it in tonight. Yes, all right, right, all right, thank you.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: I go back and I'm looking at this this column by Jason Williams again, and I just that this line is such a wonderful line, and I can't imagine it being uttered in like and I love the city I'm in and I don't want to live in New York and or Boston or Philadelphia or a place like that. But can you imagine this line in like Boston or New York or Philadelphia when it's this he says. I requested an interview with Tobin last week. Others in the local media have too. The Bengals are considering making their player personnel director available to answer questions this week. Can you imagine NFL teams in no Cities saying, you know, we are considering having our player personnel director answer questions about the state of the team. We might or might not get back to you on that.
Speaker 2: You just can't make that stuff.
Speaker 3: Up, Doc Bob Trumping next to Arneld Terrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevale. Seven hundred WLW Hey Rolling until nine tonight with rn L Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. It's Tuesday night. That must mean the nightcap with Gary Jeff Walker. I do believe I wanted to spend some time on Bob Trumpy and welcome you into the conversation and stories. And I spent a couple of segments last night on Bengals Lin with Dave Lapham. We remembered Trump, and that was on ESPN fifteen thirty, and it was in the eight o'clock hour, because we started on both seven hundred and ESPN fifteen thirty then broke away for UC basketball here, So only if you were listening on ESPN fifteen thirty and in the eight o'clock hour. Did you hear us talk about Trumpy last night? Pat Brennan of The Inquirer called me last night for a story he's doing on Trumpy. Sterling called me and I was on with him last night. I'm going to be on tomorrow morning from Springfield, Illinois with my guy Darren Pritchard of sports Radio fourteen fifty in Springfield, where Trump is from and where his family is is revered. And Darren said, I'd love to get you on and talk about Trump because he is such a beloved figure here in his family. And I said absolutely, and I kind of like I thought about holding this off until eight, and then I was weighing, do I really want to talk more Bengals for another half hour? Do I want to get into Trumpy now at the midway part of the show and allow you some storytelling time? And let's do it now, And the phones are open at five one, three, seven, four nine seven one eight hundred. The Big One I wrote about this, I tweeted this out, had posted it at seven hundred WLW dot com and on my Facebook page. I'll I'll give you my biggest takeaways and moments and memories with Bob Trumpy and they go back as as a kid at Wilmington College in training camp and I would have been ten eleven years old standing along the ropes of Bengals training camp and I got Bob Trumpy's autograph. I still have it. I collect did Bob Trumpy's football cards? Still have them? And when he made the move and transitioned from player to broadcaster, and he actually made it while he was playing, he became must listen to radio for me and for fans of Cincinnati. And if you wanted to know what was going on and what he thought about it and what you should think about it, you tuned into sports talk at six o'clock here with Bob Trumpy in a day and age where there were very limited platforms broadcast platforms that were not podcast. It wasn't oh I missed Trump, I'll catch it the next day. It was you found your radio at six o'clock because the gospel of Trumpy was about to begin, and he had he had a voice and a presence on the radio like no one before, and no one sins. I always called him the godfather of sports talk. He created it and listening to it as a eleven twelve thirteen year old. He sounded big, and he sounded important, and he attracted big and important guest. I always laugh and marvel and you'll hear him tell this story a little bit later on and a clip by having the archives of what he had Bob Knight on and he had him for an hour one night, and Bob made the decision to cancel all the commercials. We're going to commercial free all Bob Knight for the hour. That was the power of Trumpy in multiple ways, that Bob Knight would give him an hour. Can you imagine Bob Knight giving anybody an hour, especially media, And yet he did. And can you imagine I'll tell you what. I could do an interview one night with somebody for an hour and say cancel the commercials. I would not be invited back the next day. My key card would go red. You know I always joke I work on a day to day. Does my key card turn green? I'm good to go one day, it'll turn red. If I had tried that, it would have gone red. Rest assured you did what you blew out all the commercials and kept the guests for the entire hour. Bob Trumpy had opinions. Oh did he have opinions? And he was right and you were wrong all the time. I always kind of joked it was kind of in the mold of trump I always joked, I don't say things I don't work on my show and prepare and do the research so I can say things that are wrong. And I always joked that in terms of that's something Bob Trumpet would say. He was never wrong, and it was part of the beauty of Trumpet was infuriating. Growing up. I called his show once a week. I once called him. I was probably fourteen years old. I called Sports Talk from our family vacation. We had gone to Keith Cod and I called him to talk rats. In nineteen eighty five, I would have been eighteen years old. I called him and we went round and round and round arguing about playing time for Buddy Bell over Wayne crenchike The Reds had traded for Bell. Wayne Crenchikey was having a career year. They benched cren Chickey. They started Bell, and you could look it up. Bell, I'm gonna guess for his first fifty games, hit like a buck eighty and I just lost my mind that you you could take a guy out of the lineup who was having a career year and keep playing Buddy Bell who was hitting one eighty, and we went right around and he hung up on me. And incredibly, you know, eighteen fifteen years later I was working with him. We co hosted the Friday afternoon Bengals pep Rally show. I'm gonna say from I know it had to be ninety nine because that was Achille Smith. And oh did we have some shows about Achille Smith. I remember Trumpy. One time we were talking about what was wrong with Achille Smith and Trumpy and I'm paraphrasing, declared he ran he ran twenty six plays and he messed up eighteen of them.
Speaker 15: He's an idiot, idiot, I said it there, and I'm like, but this is Bob Trumpy and we all we did those shows every Friday.
Speaker 3: And you talk about at a time where the Bengals are really, really bad, there were Fridays where we sat, we travel around to the different Buffalo Wild Wings was every Friday afternoon from three to six. This would have been this was eleven sixty Bob or thirteen sixty or whatever station it was at the time, and it would be me and trumpy, and there might be a manager, and there might be somebody a server, and somebody in the kitchen. There was like six people in the place on Fridays during real bad Bengals seasons. You could hear the dishes clanging in the background in the kitchen. It was so quiet in the place. But oh, we were talking Bengals. And the thing I always remember about working with Trump he was he would he would have a way of peering over his glasses and many times through the cloud of smoke from his chain smoking, because then back then old that he smoked cigarettes. I mean in a show, he might smoke two packs of cigarettes and a show and he would look at me down those glasses on his nose and through the smoke, and I have said something and he would say, you clearly never played the game. And that was like his go to line. And I would get in on kicks where I like, like after Sunday, I would have done this where I would have demanded the Bengals make a statement. I would have said during the show, they need to make a statement, they need to do you know, fill in the blank, and he would just laugh in that big, booming, deep voice, statement, Oh you and your statements. Ah, you want to do is make statements. And I'll never forget. One Friday snowstorm hit and I remember saying, all right, I've got to get to the show today. I'm going to I left three hours early that day to get to the show, and it was at a Buffalo Wild Wing somewhere somewhere up around this vicinity. I would think it was in Ohio. I had to cross from northern Kentucky into it was up in this part of the woods, so to speak. And I was late for the show because the traffic and the snow. I left three hours early, and I was late. And I got to tell you sitting in the car in a snowstorm and hearing that Bob Trumpy had arrived and started the show without me, And he proceeded to spend the half hour that I was late just crushing me, just at absolutely obliterating me for being late. I mean it was he just killed me. Never forget that we sparred at times. We had knockdown, drag out battles on the air. We had knocked down drag out battles off the air. We did the Roundtable show together, and I think two thousand and ten for a year. But I've always said the defining moment of our relationship came about twenty two years ago, and that's when Casey was diagnosed with leukemia. Casey was two and a half at the time, and Bob Trumpy was the first person that called me and he offered whatever we needed, however he could help, and he offered his bone marrow. He said, if you need a donor, I'm in And I will never forget that. You know, It's been sixteen years since I realized the dream of becoming the host of this show, and I have never once tried to be like him or do a show like him, because I had no shot. He is truly one of a kind, and I will say in doing this show, I've always felt an obligation to do the show justice because of what he'd built with this show. So I call him the godfather. Without him, sports Talk would have eventually arrived in this city. I remember when it became a thing on WFAN and New York twenty four hours sports Talk that was incredible. It would have eventually been here in some way, shape or form. But what Bob Trumpy created in his own vision, built and delivered if you, if you weren't around, try to understand how incredible it was. And it's why I love to play clips and interviews, and you're gonna hear him the rest of the show in parts. I like to play his interviews and clips from the archives of Sports Talk because I want listeners reminded of his greatness, or I want people to hear his greatness maybe for the first time. He was to me and always will be larger than life. I can't believe he's gone. Thoughts and prayers to his wife Pat and sons Matthew and Jason, and I'm just incredibly sad. Let's take a time out. We'll come back. I've got some things he has said, some stories he shared over the years. I'm going to let you hear. I would love to hear from you thoughts and reflections and memories of Trump as a Bengal and as the host of Sports Talk and as an NBC broadcaster ahead RNL Carr Air Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevale seven hundred WW close it in on eight o'clock. Man time is flying tonight news and an update on election Day coming up in a matter of minutes. Let me begin a series, Evan Man, I can't wait to hear some of these stories I see popping up online. We'll get to your calls shortly. Let's also set the scene, and this is part of a conversation I had to sit down I had with Bob I'm going to say back in maybe as far back as like twenty eighteen, asking him about the history of sports talk. Listen to him describe how sports talk the idea came about.
Speaker 16: While driving around southern California. There's a thousand radio stations out there, and I turned one on and Bill Russell, the Hall of Fame center for the Boston Celtics and out of the University of San Francisco was doing a talk show, doing a sports talk show. I got slightly hooked, not on what he was doing or what he was saying, but he was having a good time. So I talked to my wife. We're driving somewhere, and I said to her, you know I could do that. That was the moment where I thought I would at least explore the possibility of doing it here in Cincinnati. Now here's what was working against me. LA has what twenty million people a lot of sports. How do you accommodate that in Cincinnati. And then I thought, wait a minute, half of the audience is the Pacific Ocean in Los Angeles at least in Cincinnati. You come to Cincinnati in the same general area you got Columbus, Lexington, Louisville, certainly, Indianapolis, Bloomington. Wait a minute, we got a lot of sports. So that was the birth of the idea, just riding around in southern California traffic listening to Bill Russel go ahead.
Speaker 3: That idea is then presented to this station seven hunterd WLWS Charlie Murdoch and rejected.
Speaker 16: Why Well, I had been a radio salesman for this radio station in the early seventies when they were at ninth in Elm so I knew some people in this building. But this is the only radio station that I really ever listened to other than WSAI and our good buddy Jim Scott. So I presented it to Charlie Murdoch, and Charlie was one of those guys that his face was like a billboard you knew immediately yes or no. And that's what I was hoping for. That I had see in his face the excitement, and there wasn't the excitement, and he said, give me twenty four hours and I'll get a hold of you. He called me in twenty four hours and said no, I was crushed. So the only other place that had the strength that is a fifty thousand watt station was WCKY, which I had never listened to, primarily because they played Montovani, Steve Lawrence, and Igor May records. I think it's fair to say that it would be described as elevator music.
Speaker 3: And you're still playing at the time, you're still active.
Speaker 16: It was the off season after after Actually it was the off season after seventy four. By the way, I learned a couple of years later that Charlie Murdoch loved the idea, the Bengals did not, and that they made the decision.
Speaker 3: Part of a conversation I had with Bob Trumpy about seven eight years ago. Will turn into the eight o'clock hour, Grab your calls and you will hear Bob tell the story of when his broadcast career officially changed in transition from player to broadcaster when he took on the Bengals. That is next RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: The following takes place between eight pm and nine pm.
Speaker 3: All right, let's finish strong, got an hour to get it done before I hand things off to Gary Jeff Walker. I'm alliance McAllister, thanks for being here. We started this at the midway point of the show, and I figured tonight would be it would be only fitting to spend some time sharing stories, swapping stories of the former Bengal legend and broadcasting pioneer Bob Trumpy after his passing over the weekend. You'll hear some more clips of stories he told me over the years throughout this hour. But I want to hear something from you as well, said to reading, Hey Dave, welcome to sports Talk.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 17: I'm climbing up brother Scott's car Sunday morning and uh Dan Horde and uh we AFP we're talking about Trump. You in And I said, don't tell me Bob trumps and Scott said yeah. I said, wow, it's it's uh at of not going around lately. It is great one's dinalds. But I said, hopefully the Bengals can at least they win this game in his honor. And we know how that turned out that the Bacle. But yeah, it was I Uh, I remember, UH. I think first of all you saying that about you would try to be nothing like and you two showed how two different styles can work so well. And I guess I wanted to say, basically, was was I think that one story? I remember I laughed you saying how he had with anyone he first calling it, and I can think I can remember my first time I did that, and it was uh at the super Bowl. At the first super Bowl. We were at the Super Bowl and UH Trump was saying something about how Isaac Curtis UH didn't go over the middle like he should. He's I think he's afraid to go over to the middle. On that interception, Ken Harrison threw and down about the goal line and the Baneles at this ball right away, and I took an issue with that, and of course he was right, and he kept arguing and he was right and everything, and.
Speaker 7: You know what a lance.
Speaker 17: I went back and since we were at the game, I I see them. I went by watching it did look like I love eyes to death. He's one of my favorites, but that looked like he was a little hasn't it going over the middle there? But so I, you know, I figured that he was uh deadly right about that, and he was the one thing I wanted to uh say about that was my brother Ken. He's been a a football coach for fifty three years in high school and uh he actually played up in Wilmington College back then when the bands trained and and he did this. He was a tight end and he was the same kind of tight end as Trump. He was my passed catching tight ending a block too, they passed. He was a three time All conference tight end. But he Trump he left his shoulder pads behind and they gave him the can they used.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 17: Of course he's first thing. He's uh maybe one number eight seventy. I know you're wearing eighty four. You're wearing trumpies.
Speaker 3: Uh how about that? Oh that's cool, that's cool, he.
Speaker 17: Said, you're doing that. It's funny because those two are now where they like his players. They're both so the same way of uh believes this. We're always right about that, right, the really nicest guys in the world, really, but just just acting like they uh yeah, they were always right and great players. And you know, Ken, he wears he has eighty four license plates for that number and well, I wanted to say real.
Speaker 3: Quickly, real quick.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I feel a real bad because I feel bad because I wanted to vote for him last year in the Rail Honor. Well I will to wind up winning, but I feel bad. Next year, I define I definitely going to vote for him. And I just think they should put them all those guys in right now and start freshing the guys who were on them on there for a while.
Speaker 3: A Hey, Dave, I got to run. Thanks Buddy good hearing from me. I've said from the start they need a catch up class for the Ring of Honor. They're never going to catch up. And sadly, Bob Trump he's not in the Ring of Honor and he's now passed, and it's just it's it's just it's not right. Newport we go, don You're on seven hundred w L W.
Speaker 5: Hey Lan.
Speaker 18: Yeah, this goes back about seven years now. So I was a jeweler for thirty six years and one day Bob walks in with this watch battery to be changed. So come room and start tell yeah, it takes about ten minutes or so to change the battery. So well, don't you have that Bengals Edition Rolex, you know you don't need a battery for that. And he says, I'd be lucky to get a cracker Jack watch from that. He said, yeah, you know how he used to say, yeah, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, absolutely, So that's.
Speaker 7: So that's what he said.
Speaker 18: The one thing led to another. And I had a had a condition. I know you do too. I don't know if it's the exact same thing, but I had the exact same condition as Sam wise cardiomyopathy. Wow, and it's uh I had for about fifteen years. It's anybody they had heart issues knows that. It's all about that jaction fraction. Okay, that that number, and that number for me had gotten down to about ten to fifteen percent when I saw him. And I'd been fighting the transplant word for petrified of it for a long time, and I just couldn't wrap my mind around it. I kept trying to stem cell you name it. I was there trying to get it done, and you know, in the end, it just can't fight it when it gets to that. But same thing as Sam. So he says to me, right there, Hey, what's your number? But what are you doing here?
Speaker 7: First of all?
Speaker 18: And I saw I'm working. I mean, I just got it, so gonna work. Finally goes no, no, you've got to get this done. So, as you know, you don't argue with Bob right when you're looking at it. So the very next day, Sam wife calls me, wow, wow, and I thought, that's really that's amazing. And I'm telling you that conversation will offer about thirty minutes. And he changed my mind. And six years later I received my Christmas Day of all days.
Speaker 3: Nineteen What a story. Oh I got chills.
Speaker 18: Yeah, No, he was and he and that wasn't the first time I talked to him. And uh, but Bob, I mean, you know, that's part of them. I think a lot of people thought he was a hard ass and stubborn and just really you know, it was a no at all. Yeah, they didn't really see the.
Speaker 3: Side exactly exactly right, very caring.
Speaker 18: So that anyway, that's a that's a feel good story about about John.
Speaker 3: That's great to hear. I'm glad you shared it. Thanks for checking in.
Speaker 7: Yep, thank you.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll continue. I've got another story you'll hear. Bob tell a story about going toe to toe with the organization after he had retired that next plus more of your calls. RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW A twenty two seven hundred WLW R and L Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. I'm Lance McAllister. Thanks for tagging along time. Thanks for sharing the stories, the memories of Bob Trump you passed over the weekend. This is this is one of the more amazing stories he told me over the years. This is when he knew he had officially transitioned from a player Bengals player to a broadcaster at the defining moment, and what it did to his relationship with the organization. This story, he told me, was about seven years ago. It happened back in nineteen seventy eight when the Bengals fired Tiger Johnson. Listen to Bob's account of what transpired and how he reacted.
Speaker 16: I was sitting at a sponsor Barleick Horns with a bunch of salespeople and it comes on the air that Johnson has just been fired. I was, to say the least upset. Two reasons. One, Tiger was, along with Bill Walsh, the two greatest influences on my professional career at Walsh kept selling me and Tiger used me properly. I was not a big tight end. I was a quick tight end, a fast tight end. I could trick him. I wasn't going to blow somebody off the line of scrimmage. Tiger helped me with that. I was not happy. The other factor was I was a teammate of that. All those guys down there the year before, I had contacts. The contacts had been telling me some things. I knew some things that Tiger Johnson did not take criticism or questioning or anything from anybody, including Paul Well. And there had been some blow ups down there, and I was aware of them. So I went back to the radio station and I'd never really written an editorial or anything like that, and I wrote this two page editorial about what I thought, I knew, what I knew, and how terrible this was to disrupt this football team with this firing. So I that was the first quandary in my broadcast career. If I do this as a former player. I mean, I got to check from these people about eight months ago. What's going to happen?
Speaker 5: Geez?
Speaker 16: What should I have? Shouldn't I? So I went into Phil McDonald, who was the general manager, and I said, I'm stuck. He said, how can I help? And I said, I just wrote this and this is my initial reaction to the firing of Bill Johnson. And he said, mind if I read it? Said no, absolutely, That's why I'm in the air fort. So he read it and he said, what's your plan? And I said, well, I'm not sure, but I didn't write that to throw it away. I write that. I wrote that to announce to Cincinnati what the hell is going on here? And he said, well, you got to decide. Are you an next Cincinnati Bengal or a broadcaster. Makes your choice, I'll stand behind you either way. I went on the air and read the editorial. I was very proud of it when I was done. It was scathing. It was Paul Is trying to do to Bill Johnson what Art Modell did to him in Cleveland. That is, do things that a general manager should not do. He shouldn't be bumping the head coach's head and so on and so forth. I'm done with the editorial calls program ins. I made a promise to myself that I was not going to hide from that editorial. So the next day, I go to practice, and I know what's I'm that practice, and I'm know where I'm supposed to stand and everything, so I got to spend it for you. So I'm standing on the practice field when the team and the coaches take the field, with Homer Rice as the head coach. I don't see Paul, I don't see Mike. I do see the equipment man and the trainer. Everybody comes out. I'm standing there watching practice, and then suddenly Paul is right next to me, and he ripped me. He absolutely ripped me, and I stood there and took it. I said, Paul, there's nothing I said in that editorial last night that's untrue. You know that I don't like what you did. I don't know how this is going to work. The effect on the players on this team is going to be terrible. And I stand by what I said. And the practice ins and then kickers are out there kicking, and so practice has extended a little bit. And for some reason, Bo Harris, a linebacker on the team, walks by me and he says, you know what, Trump, we didn't accomplish much today except for counting that Paul stuck his finger in your face. One hundred and four times and he walks in. So after the practice is over, everybody leaves and everybody's shaking their head at me. And I went down the rest of the week, and that was on Tuesday. I went Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. I don't know who they played on Saturday, but I was not going to be labeled as an assassin as a sniper. So that changed everything in my broadcast career. I didn't know where it was going, I didn't know how it was going to unfold, but at that point my whole outlook on broadcasting changed for the positive. I took on the big guy. I meant what I said. I didn't make anything up.
Speaker 3: Bob Trumpy and a story he told me back in twenty eighteen on the Tales of Sports talk show, we did one night I could squeeze in one move, four to the bottom of the AAR. I mentioned Bob Knight. Listen to Trumpy tell the story of having Bob Knight on one night and keeping him for the entire hour. Here's Trumpy.
Speaker 16: I played high school basketball. I thought I was pretty good. Was recruited by a few colleges, so I thought I knew a lot about basketball, and I used to talk about Indiana and this is when Ken Benson.
Speaker 3: And Quinn Buckner.
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Jim Ferguson, who was the PR director for the Cincinnati Red, was a longtime friend of Bobby Knight. Apparently Fergie called Bob Knight and told Knight, you know you got a big fan over here in this trumpet. Gad it's doing the sports talk show. And uh, I get a call one day, uh, one day this week, Uh, would you like to have Bobby Knight on? And it was somebody at Indiana And I said this is a joke, and uh, they said, no, it's not a joke. Jim Ferguson informed by coach Knight and would you like to have them on? Hell? Yes, So you know what I did. I canceled all commercials.
Speaker 3: Only power to cancel all commercials.
Speaker 16: I had that ability to cancel all commercials. So Bobby Knight was on for an hour commercial free. No, he was absolutely wrong. No news, no weather, no nothing, no commercials. He was on for an hour.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable. Let's get a check on news when we come back a night that if you were listening, you'll never forget Bob never. He in telling this story to me, he got emotional and broke down. It was then night he kept a caller on the line who was threatening to take her own life. You'll hear him tell that story as we continue. After I check on news with Arnel Carrier. Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet, seven hundred WLW. Hey, Gary, Jeff Walker is in at nine. He's got the nightcap served up nine to midnight. I'm back at you tomorrow after Red's Hot Stove the return of the Red's Hot Stove League Show six o'clock tomorrow night. Here on seven hundred WLW. I will follow from seven to nine o'clock. We are remembering and paying tribute to the godfather of sports talk, the Bengals legend, the broadcast pioneer, the sad passing of Bob Trumpy over the weekend. Let's grab some more memories and stories and Anderson. Hey, Gary, Welcome to Sports Talk.
Speaker 14: By Lance. This is a great tribute to Trump. Thank you, Nic you do this.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 14: I There's a lot of series stories and a lot of great When I have kind of a anecdote, it goes to what I thought, how genuine Bob was and always admired him as a player and what he accomplished as a broadcaster. But when he was first starting his sports talk show, he would joke about his studio audience and he had his producer Fringers fuller if they're ready, and would always have things going on with these supposed studio audience. So one day a friend of mine and I decided to call Bob and it said can we come down and be part of the studio audience? And and he said, absolutely, come on down, six o'clock. Here's where you go. We went in tiny studio and there was Bob. He could not have been more gracious and changed smoke yea and drank coffee through the whole. It was fascinating to watching Warwick along with his producer, And again it just goes to how genuine he really was, because he certainly didn't have to do that and let us come in because the whole thing was a gag.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Oh, what a great story. Oh I love that. I love that. Thank you for sharing you, Bet.
Speaker 14: I appreciate being on and what you're doing tonight.
Speaker 3: You got it. Thank you. I appreciate you listening tonight. And I even haven't even had time. I wanted to play a clip, but I don't have time for it tonight. At least of the whole origin of his hot Fldge Sunday bets. He would make bets with callers on games and it was for a hot Fledge Sunday and he would pay him off when the studios were in Mount Adams at the UDF. You go down to the lobby of the station and directly across the street was the UDF and that's where he paid off or got the the hot Fudge Sundays that were part of the part of sports talk in Western Hills. Hey Rick, welcome to seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: Hey Lance, how are you doing tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm well, thank you for calling.
Speaker 4: So here's my story.
Speaker 19: Yes, we had a group of six to ten couples who would go to Indian Rock Speech in the spring.
Speaker 4: And make our way to Al Lopez for a spring training game or two or five two and Trump would do sports talk on a weekly basis.
Speaker 3: From the pool side incredible.
Speaker 7: At the Intercontmental Hotel.
Speaker 19: Incredible, which I don't I don't think it's any longer there. But one of one of our one of the nameless kids who who was very athletic somehow climbed the tree over the top of Trumpy when.
Speaker 7: He was interviewing Dick Wagner. And he was.
Speaker 4: Distracted incredibly by this by this ten year old kid and the tree right above where he was broadcasting.
Speaker 7: And they went to a break.
Speaker 4: And Truppy said, can you get the damn monkey out of the tree. And security came in and moved us along, and he was so gracious.
Speaker 7: You know. We had the kid go up.
Speaker 4: And apologize to him during the commercial break, and it was all was good, but it was he was interviewing Dick Wagner.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've never heard that story. That is a great story.
Speaker 4: I don't think the Intercontinental is there anymore.
Speaker 7: But it was a fabulous setting for sports talk.
Speaker 4: And then Bob Herzog, who was a competitor on another station, after doing the Trumpy interview, went to Herzog's room to do his interview on his sports talk show, and we followed and knocked on the door, tried to talk to Dick Wagner, but he wouldn't talk to us.
Speaker 3: Fash What a great story. Thank you for sharing the story, Thank you for listening tonight.
Speaker 7: Thank you all right.
Speaker 3: I love that I never heard that story before. Here is one that this night. It is still thinking back, hard to fathom what happened and how Bob Trump he handled it. You were going to hear him explain the story of the night a caller was threatening to take her own life and Bob kept her on the line. Here is that story, as told to me on the show we did tales from Sports Talk a number of years ago. Take a listen. I remember this and I remember listening to this night. I want to see November of nineteen eighty three and the emotions of dealing with a female caller. I believe she was the first caller of the night. Her name was Sugar, and she was threatening to take her life and.
Speaker 16: She called you No. She called Doug Kidd, who is.
Speaker 3: The producer who answered that first person answered the line.
Speaker 16: Here's the way it happened. We're three three Hpoor Street. We got about two or three minutes before the show starts and Doug comes. I put my head, He motions and I put my head set on and he said, uh, listen, there's this lady on the I got on the phone. She called me about ten or fifteen minutes ago, and she's in trouble, and I don't know what to do. I don't know what we should do, but I don't want to hang up. That's the smartest thing that anybody did that night. So I told put her in with me. I put my head set on and I start talking to this lady. This is on the air. Off at this point, No, this is off the air. It's like ninety seconds before six o'clock, so it's not on the air. So I start talking to this lady. And I still don't know her name, but I named her Sugar, just so I can talk to her. And I start talking, and two and a half hours go by, and I was so concentrating on dealing with this lady that I was not paying attention to what was going on around me. And I frankly had no idea that ninety seconds had expired and that we were live on the air. I didn't know that. And then I looked up and I'd say there were half a dozen Cincinnati police officers in with Doug. And I looked up and I thought, wait a minute, what is this? And then they started putting notes up on the window. Don't put her in hold, don't hang up, I'll keep talking. So I just kept doing that. I've never listened to it. It still makes me emotional. I mean, every night you talk to somebody, and some night you're the only person that person talks to. And that's the feeling I got from this lady. And then I look up and my wife is standing there with her best friend. And I didn't know what I was doing except having a conversation with this woman. And finally her son picked up the phone. Her son walked in on her. I don't know if he was listening to the show. I have no clue. I still don't know her name. I've never listened to the show. I can't tell you how long it lasted, but it was somewhere around two and a half hours. I didn't know when I was done for the evening, if it had been broadcast or not. Doug was still sitting there, all the policemen were there, my wife was there, her best friend was there at the time, and I just kind of collapsed physically and mentally. And she was rescued. I don't I think the police showed up, found out where she was, and I don't know if she's fine. I don't know if she lasted a week, a month, another year, if she's still see.
Speaker 3: You from that moment, you never had another conversation or met.
Speaker 16: Her, No, no, or received a letter or anything. I can't remember a word I said, except for naming her Sugar. She had a dog with her whose name was Sugar. I said, can I call you Sugar? As I remember. That's all I remember that conversation. I don't know. For the life of me, I can't remember, and I frankly, I really don't want to know. All I remember is at the end of it was I was talking to her, and then suddenly another voice came on the phone, and I said, who is this? And it was I'm her son. Your mom needs help.
Speaker 3: This month back in nineteen eighty three, what what an evening on sports talk. I can't even imagine handling the way he did that night. Let's take a time. I'll come back, head downstretch, put the wraps on it, and get you ready for the night cap with Gary Jeff Walker. It is eight forty seven. This is RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chervallet on seven hundred WLW. Al Right down the stretch we go. Gary Jeff Walker's in the house. He's already in the studio to go on tonight at nine six here on seven hundred WLW. By the way, the initial twelve team college Football playoff projections are at the the bracket in the twenty five The initial rankings and then the projected twelve team bracket for the playoff field looks as follows. Your number one team in the college football playoff projections. Ohio State is one, Indiana is two, So the Big ten lands one in two at three Texas A, and M at four Alabama. This is the way the bracket. UC did not land in the top twenty five. They play BYU coming up at KNIPPERD BYUS seven. U see's off this weekend, then BYU BYU and Texas Tech play this week That is number seven BYU versus number eight Texas Tech in the college Football playoff rankings. This is the way the bracket looks at the moment. One seed Ohio State would play the winner of eight Texas Tech versus nine Oregon. Two. Indiana would play the winner of seven BYU versus ten Notre Dame three Texas A, and M gets the winner of six Ole Miss and number eleven Virginia and number four seed is Alabama, Bama getting the winner of five seed Georgia versus twelve seed Memphis. So again your top four seeds Ohio State one, Indiana two, Texas A and M three. Alabama is four U seed does not make the initial top twenty five rankings in the college football playoff. I think that is enough from there. Let's see what else. Louisville's in at fifteen, Michigan in at twenty one, and see if there's any other area teams that I'm missing or regional teams that would be it the college football Top twenty five playoff bracket. All right, let me give you one more to round out the night from the conversation I had with Bob a few years ago about the history of sports talk, and I asked him to kind of sum it all up. Here's part of that conversation. Could you have ever imagined the first time he turned on the microphone doing this for sports talk nineteen seventy six? Could you have ever imagined that sports talk would turn out the way it did in that run?
Speaker 16: You had no, absolutely not, And don't just include sports talk. I mean, I'm a kid from the middle of Illinois raising a town often hundred people, and I can put on my resume a lot of things, and one of the things I'm most proud of I got to play golf with Neil Armstrong. Huh and Jesse Owens. How about that. That's a long way from Tremont, Illinois, And however I got there, I enjoyed every minute. The only downside the time I had to be away from the family in television and my two sons growing up here in Cincinnati when I'm on the radio. They had to defend me every day in school and there were some punches thrown from my son sons out about what I said the night before on the radio. Those are the only two downsides I've ever found. All that I've ever done, I can accept the rest. Don't take on my kids, and just remember I played golf with Neil Armstrong.
Speaker 2: I see Owens? Are you serious?
Speaker 3: Bob Trumpy from Tales of Sports Talk a few years ago? Man? And am I gonna miss him? Thank you for sharing the stories tonight, and I hope you enjoyed the stories I was able to share. From our conversation, I got a feeling we'll probably put that back together for last year. We did it as like a Christmas Eve special Christmas Eve edition of Sports Talk. We may have run it on New Year's but I think we'll probably run that again as a special edition of Sports Talk, depending on the programming windows around the holidays. All of those stories together in one night. A couple of notes I'm looking at on Twitter. Congrats to the Baiden Rams girls soccer. They win one nil, one nothing over. Hobin. Baden will play the winner of Bay Village and Granville on Saturday at one o'clock at Cruse Stadium for the state championship. Congratulations and a couple of things on this date, let's see ooh this a note from the college football playoffs tonight. Ohio State is in at number one in the initial rankings. Only two number one teams in the first college football playoff rankings have gone on to win the national championship recent though twenty twenty Alabama twenty twenty one Georgia. Those were the team's number one initially when the polls came out, and winners of the national championship. All right, on this date in sports history, just a couple of notes. Nineteen seventy six baseball really changed forever. The first free agent draft took place. Twenty four players were available from thirteen different teams. Two years later, the free agency period began opening up that night, with Pete Rose leading the way after a world win recruitment. By what the Cardinals and the Braves and the Pirates and the Cardinals were going to give you like brewery, The Braves are gonna give him like stock in, like tbs. The Pirates are gonna give him race horses. Pete wound up signing, obviously, with the Philadelphia Phillies. This date, nineteen eighty, Japan's all time home run hitter Sadahara retired from professional baseball. The first baseman hit a record eight hundred and sixty eight home runs in his twenty two year career in Japan. And on this date, twenty ten, Sperky Anderson passed away at the age of seventy six in Thousand Oaks, California. You know, one of the most amazing stats about Sparky's career. Nine years as Reds manager, seventeen as the Tigers manager. Wow, all right, I wish I had more time. I don't Thanks to Joe Wadell for producing. Hope you enjoyed tonight. I very much appreciate you listening. Let's do it tomorrow night after Red's Hot Stove. I've got you seven to nine, stick around Gary, Jeff Walker's got the nightcap after News. This has been RNL Carrier sports Stock presented by Kelsey Chevalet seven hundred W out of you