Speaker 1: It's a Scott's Loan show on seven hundred. Deputy all that, we thanks you checking us out on air, online and in your hand and your mobile VID the iHeartRadio app. Take us wherever you go, switch over to headphones and we portable like that, baby. I think we might be missing the big picture when it comes to AI data centers, uh semiconductor industry. You know, then tell them all that, and I know that stalled a little bit. But big picture, though, is despite all the environmental and electricity worries, what about restoring American greatness or relative to technology, relative to manufacturing, and in a different way than our previous generations did it. I'm talking of course about Ohio now the fifth largest host of AI data centers, and that looks to be growing. Are we missing because of our fears and not unwarranted fears? I think they're legitimate, But I missed the big picture when it comes to expanding the job space here in Ohio, which is sorely needed. Joining the show this morning is Doug Kelly from Columbus. He is CEO of something called the American Edge Project that deals with us. Doug, welcome back, Howray.
Speaker 2: Thanks Scott, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm doing fine. The reason why most of the civilized world speaks English because it is the business of language and a business that we created. American entrepreneurship industry created that environment. Dollar is the standard currency, the reserve currency.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: How important is it to continue to lean on tech in order to continue that and put it into context with the congressional plan now with TikTok where they're going to make an American health company and kind of use that as a front.
Speaker 2: Well, just a back one second, and let's look at the importance of technology in our overall daily lives.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So tech isn't just another sector of the economy, right, it is a very backbone of our national security or economy and the advancement of values that we really care about, free expression and letting your voice be heard. So the challenge is when Congress talks about regulating technology, it can't paint with a very broad brush.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: There's things that it can do that can either help our ability to innovate and compete against China, or there things they can do that can fundamentally damage our ability to remain the technological leader in the world. They've passed that chips and Science Build, which is going to help bring more manufacturing and semi conductor chips to the United States. It'll create technology hubs. It will also increase funding for STEM education. So that's an example of a really good thing that Congress is doing to help our ability to innovate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, I think that's important too, because there is a lot of bad. There's a lot of negative with this, and that is that our enemies have learned to poison ups ourselves. You know, a lot of us poison ourselves basically, which has always been the goal. That's you know, the fallow role. I'm destroyed from within. A lot of people predict that for the United States of America. I think we always find a way to write the ship though, right. We don't go away. We figure out how to adapt and we move on. We're really good at that, that's right.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the heart of the American genius is our ability to innovate and adjust as circumstances come. So one of our concerns is that some of the bills that Congress is talking about passing are things that would undermine our ability as a country to innovate, and particularly they would target America's most innovative technology companies. Now these companies, yeah, they run social media platforms, they make hardware and software. But what a lot of people don't know is that the biggest technology companies in the US are also the biggest investors and the most important strategic technologies that we're battling with against kind of so artificial intelligence, robotics on them, computing, these are all the technologies that are going to determine who leads in the future. And so as Congress wants to clamp down on those companies, it's going to hurt our ability to invest in those areas, to develop and master those technologies, and it's going to hand over to China an edge that we're not kind of get back, just like what happened with manufacturing.
Speaker 1: Well in another edge too, we get back to Afghanistan or the fall there, and how middle will rich that country is now that China ass control of that or Russia as control or whatever. Now, now, where are we going to get these Where are we going to get the precious natural resources in order to make the chips that you're talking about. That's that's you know, we talk about how important that is, But I think that fits into what you're discussing here, because the topic of rare earth minerals is now front and center.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're exactly right. I mean, you know, at the end of the day, we are in this competition in China, and it's okay, who can build the most microchips, who can have the most innovation. China knows that innovation is its weak spot, right. They're good at copying and reverse engineering things, but their challenge is innovation, and they've invested a lot of money to boost their innovation. So at the end of the day, the US has to do things that accelerates our ability to innovate, and that includes things like creeing up our biggest innovators, making smart and better in building core critical technologies here. Now, there's certain things that can be done to you know, where the pressure and pain points come where technology hits politics and society. There's certainly regulations could be done there, right, Connors should pass a privacy policy so people understand what their data is being used for, what control they have over So there's certainly smart things that can be done there. But some of the things they're talking about in Washington right now just undermine our ability to innovate, and they actually don't solve the problems that people are feeling.
Speaker 1: You know, Trump for the well second time, now there's a new sheriff in town. Wasn't long ago where we had dignitaries in the United States go to places like Taiwan and try and build relationships with US. Drank in that connection to the United States and Twan because they're responsible for all the stuff we're talking about right now. We make a very small percentage, like twelve percent of those semiconductor products right now, so they're an important ally. We can't give that up.
Speaker 2: You are spot on what that's got. I mean in the nineties when semiconduct were invented, right, American manufactured most of them. Now we manufacture just twelve percent, with the bulk of the most sophisticated chips being made in Taiwan, which is just one hundred miles away from China. And if China made a move on Taiwan that were fundamentally do you think the COVID supply chain attroction was big, So that would be enormous. Yeah, And so you know, we have to be able to make sure that we're making in our own backyard as well. And at the same time, we have to do actions that check China's ambitions, both from a technology sign but also from a little boy ambition.
Speaker 1: In regards to Doug Kelly, CEO American Edge Project on the show on seven hundred WLW, you right there in Columbus, You're going to see this huge Intel plant and essentially town that is built to make semiconductors right here in Ohio. What's that mean for the state in America as well? I mean, that seems to be a huge step forward. We talk about the lack of manufacturing in America, but this is high tech manufacturing. Good for jobs and Hio to be sure, but in top putting, having a big footprint right here in Ohio let alone. The United States also is kind of what you're talking about here, and that is sounds like the United States, we're trying to increase our share of that market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, it's going to be great news for Ohio and all the Midwest. First of all, you know when I talk about unintended consequences of bills that Congress may pass, right, you know, twenty years ago Connors did some things on manufacturing that kind of slowly led manufacturing jobs over twenty years, many of them exported to China. And so one thing we don't want to have happen with the bills that Congress is talking about is unintended consequences that hurt our ability to manufacture and innovate on the technology side. And so the passage of this chip bill is going to bring new jobs, three thousand new jobs into Ohio just that plant. But at the same time, when you have like they're building construction trades and the other people that have to build these facilities, those are going to be even more jobs there. So it's a huge multiplier effect in building our own technology.
Speaker 1: Here Doug Kelly and Columbus CEO of the American Edge Project, which is pushing more and more tech, and you know, we've got Intel at some point, I think third twenty thirty one, as I saw when they opened the plant, your Columbus you're talking about. But you know, the AI data centers and everything else in Ohio is fifth in the country when it comes to those data centers, which I think is awesome, and there's some concerns there too. You know, we talked about environmental we talked about electricity, the power and the grid. I talk about that a lot too, and it's could put a bigger drain on the system, but you build more infrastructures supposed to just prevent people from doing this. We've got to continue to innovate and lead the world for not only our economic future, but also for our survival too, because we we got to stay on top ors of the Chinese and the Russians. That's had a lot of people listening are concerned about social media, the impact it has on young kids. For example. Are you suggesting in some way, shape or form, maybe an unregulated internet or it's hard to censor the First Amendment because that is a given, inalienable right in this country. But there's got to be a balance there.
Speaker 2: How do you do that well, I would say that, you know, our coalition is you know, twenty four different groups of you know, people who represent small businesses, minority business, Asian American businesses, as well as technology companies. And our message is focused on the importance of innovation because sometimes, you know, people forget that innovation is America's secret sauce that puts us ahead of other countries, and it's kept us ahead of other countries to address your specific question. You know, at the end of the day, there are certain regulations that can be done that will give people clarity and insight on Okay, what could we be done with our data? Right, so Congress could pass the privacy policy. But what we're against the things that fundamentally disrupt America's ability to innovate. And that's the thing that we feel Congress is Russian full with this legislation. And it's not just on I mean, when you think of the biggest company Google, Amazon, Microsoft, these are companies are making game cheese and investments in the technology of the future. And if you if you disrupt or break apart those companies, it's gonna have lasting consequences. So at the end of the day, we're for innovation at the American Ed Project, and that's what gives us our edge. But we're four smart type of regulation that actually solve the problem or against reckless regulation.
Speaker 1: Right and generally when you start to break up companies, you know, we say that here Cincinnati Bell, for example, as no longer Cincinnati Bell for it. But but you know when they broke up the baby bell and the baby bells, you know, back in the back in the day forty something years ago, fifty years ago, that was to control a monopoly. I don't know if I see that as much with big tech in that argument. And certainly Facebook is massive, and there's a lot of big alphabet right, a lot of big companies out there that do this kind of stuff. But I just don't see the tech the advantage in breaking them up. It's gonna Does it make competition better or harder?
Speaker 2: Well, there's fierce competition and right now, So for the opponents of the big tech companies, I just challenged their assumption and their assertion that there's not competition there. I mean, Facebook is battling out all the time when the other social media companies TikTok, and so there's really fierce competition among these and that forces innovation faster. And so right now, with the current regulatory scheme we have of how do we deal with monopolistic activity, it's done to the court. That's the right way to go. That system works. There's no need to fundamentally disrupt that because technology moves really really fast. And I'm old enough to remember my Space and AOL when they were the big behemoths, right, And you know what the market took care of that, So we believe the market takes care of a lot of problems in competition is the real accelerant on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But the argument that would be, well, if you just made a case Kelly and said, hey, you know, it's pretty fierce competitive now, but if we broke everything up in the smaller companies, they are thinking, well, that creates even more competition, doesn't it. Or the other way to look at it as well, it's it's much tougher now to fund those companies because almost like a startup at the beginning, right, there's only so much you can do with the wealth of Facebook and other companies of a mask, it's probably easier at this point, right. So what I'm saying is, if you're using your argument, if you broke everything in the smaller pieces of the pie, you create more competition? Is that not necessarily true?
Speaker 2: Well, but there's some things that can only be done at large scale, right, So we're in the we're in the kind of the platform economy phase right of global development. Right, China as a big platform. We have our big platforms, and those platforms generate new ideas across a lot of different business lines and they also generate profits which are then invested into this cutting end research. And I'm just giving example. Right in those strategic Technologies of the Future that I talked about, are five bigest technology companies in America invest more each year in those than the Pentagon does.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: And these are dual use technologies, right, So they're both for military purpose but also for commercial purpose. And so we can either hand that as China militarily. But worse of all worse is that that would give them a competitive advantage. Do we want them to sell all the different AI solutions? Do we want them to sell the quantum computer solutions to the world and reap that economic benefit? Well, that's coin of what we want. Yeah, because it really matters which country and which set of values builds the future. Is it going to be US China? It's a simple question.
Speaker 1: You know, you mentioned that data privacy and things. It's certainly big tech, and you know people who use big tech can join hand in hand. Go, okay, that's something we should fight. The most contentious thing, of course, is section two thirty, which is wonky. But you know, if you don't know what that means, it's simple. It means that platform like Facebook, for example, are not legally responsible for what people post on them. So prior to this, if a website you modified content or whatever, they're legally responsible for anyone who posted on that website. I look at this, it's almost like me trying to control what a caller would say to a talk show. I can't control what you're thinking or saying. Now, there are certain dirty words I can bleep out and the like, but generally your message is as long as you don't swear, you can say pretty much whatever the hell you want. I kind of look at it that way. When it comes to section two thirty. It's bad and you have people can lie and spread mistruths, and you pretend to be a I don't know, a sixteen year old girl when they're actually a seventy five year old man. I get that, but by and large, I don't, you know. I kind of look at it the same way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, A whole point behind section two thirty was to help innovation go and grow, and it has served its purpose, specifically on the content moderation piece. Look, we believe in having more voices in the marketplace, right or at the end of the day, the best ideas are going to win. And yeah, exactly what you said, right. There's certain techniques and activities in as far as actors are going to do, but more voices in the marketplace being able to speak their truths and be able to say what their opinion is.
Speaker 3: That's better.
Speaker 2: That helps our country, that builds a stronger, more robust electric.
Speaker 1: Doug Kelly, CEO of American Edge Project up in Columbus, and it's all about American led innovation and keeping the Internet open, which I agree pretty well with most of this stuff. Anyway, Doug gott to go. Thanks for the tome. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks Scott Idate.
Speaker 1: You too as well. We're about to five minutes away for news on seven hundred WW traffic weather all that. Don't have to tell you. The Deep Freeze continues into our second week. We love the first one so much. It is back for command performance. The frozen tundra of Cincinnati, northern Kentucky and Indiana.
Speaker 7: UH.
Speaker 1: Probably going to stay in this weekend a little lull because there's no NFL football this weekend and big stuff is pretty much out. Really college basketball, as you had X and a UC playing this weekend at home and some other stuff as well, but now largely maybe it's time to catch up on some streaming stuff. I got some stuff for you to do, some streaming related things. Will Gans is here from Maybe See in New York. Three things for your relative to the small screen if you're gonna stay in, which is a good idea. He'll get to that next Scott Sloan show back after News. I'm Home of the Red seven hundred WLWD.
Speaker 8: Now a man who has entertainment reporting of coursing through his veins, which makes him a medical opity.
Speaker 3: He is ABC's Will Gans from New York Corner.
Speaker 1: Will Haist things things are cold. Yeah, this is perfect for you. There are two things you're gonna do. One of them would be like eat soup. So if you have a soup place, this is you're just printing money right now. The other one would be streaming because you're probably not gonna go out to theaters. There's not a big blockbuster out now that people need to see. And so although if you you know, you don't mind going out, I would say, probably gonna get a good So in that regard, here we have all sorts of things that are coming out right now. I shouldn't say that, because I really I know the first tie you're going to talk about the Rachel McAdams movie Send Help. I've seen the trailer for this, and I think I want to see this.
Speaker 4: I had such a good time watching this in the theater believe it or not, Brave to the Cold, and for me, it was worth the trip.
Speaker 3: So the plot of.
Speaker 4: This movie is that she is an employee at you know, some sort of financial firm. She's been working there forever. She's a little bit of a of a mess, but you know, she thinks she's going to get this big promotion. And then a new CEO comes in and it's played by Dylan O'Brien, so he's like a younger guy and just sort of a jerk basically tells her, yeah.
Speaker 3: She's not going to get the promotion.
Speaker 4: She's just, you know, not the type of person he wants representing the company.
Speaker 1: Like making fun of her to her face and everything else.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly she's eaten tuna in the office and they're being yeah, they yeah, they're not, you know.
Speaker 3: So anyway, they go on a trip together.
Speaker 4: Plane crashes and it's now the two of them on a deserted island together and of course the power dynamic shifts right all of a sudden, they're on equal playing field. She's even you know, probably more equipped in a lot of ways than he is to survive there. And you know, pretty soon you realize that it doesn't look like.
Speaker 3: Both of them will make it out alive. So it is. It is gross and gory, but.
Speaker 4: You know, that's why it's fun to see it in the theater because when it does get a little bloody, you know, people are screaming, and then parts of it are also laugh out loud funny. So I had a really really good time watching it, and it's just like a reminder that she is so good. She can do any genre, any style, and you know, she's just she's a lot of fun to watch in a movie like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great actress, because you know, started making fun of how she looks and she's got tuna fish on her lip, and you know, the boss would just meeting her, and then all of a sudden, you know that in the trailer, wheres I'm guessing that she is making him cry? Is fantastic, So you get the setup and sometimes you know, as you know, well the trailer much much better than movie, but doesn't sound like it in this case.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I mean the trailer is much less bloody than the movie ends up being. But you know whatever, if you can handle that kind of stuff, it's great fun in the classic horror type thriller, you know genre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, don't spoil it. Don't tell me if they get off the island and he's able to deliver that FedEx package that I don't. I don't, that's not that's not really Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't want to ruin anything, but the volleyball doesn't make it.
Speaker 9: Damn it.
Speaker 1: I hate that segment. I hate that segment. All Right, what else do we have? Let's talk about streaming. If you're not going to brave the elements, if that doesn't sound good to you, or you're just gonna wait a couple of weeks, like probably forty eight hours, or to come out on the small screen, what else is streaming this weekend?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So, if you have been watching Shrinking on Apple TV, this is Harrison Ford and Jason Siegel. Season three just dropped its first episode. It's an hour long premiere episode.
Speaker 3: Michael J.
Speaker 4: Fox makes a guest appearance, which is really really touching. And yeah, this show is just one of my favorites. So it's by the same team that does ted Lasso, and it's similar in style. It's it's funny, it's really really feel good and heartwarming, and you know, Harrison Ford is just amazing in it, and and.
Speaker 3: They all are really so.
Speaker 4: Season three picks up right where season two left off, and the episodes are short. So if for anyone who hasn't been watching, you know, you could you could if you wanted to binge the first two seasons this weekend and then join along for the season three ride as I've just started this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I mean I saw it because I have Apple TV Plus, and when it came out, I'm like, oh, Harrison Ford's in it. It's probably okay, Jason seen, ok and I never could hit play on it. I don't know why.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's you know, it's it's like they it's about a psychiatry firm, and basically it starts with Jason Siegal's character, you know, saying to this one of his clients, like, you know what, you should leave your husband. I'm tired of hearing you talk about him. Just you know, go ahead and leave them, and you know, it's a psychologist who starts getting a little maybe too involved in some of his patients' lives, and Harrison Ford's his boss. So if you can stick with it, I definitely think it's worth it.
Speaker 1: It's it's I love it, Okay, all right?
Speaker 11: And what else?
Speaker 1: Do we have? One more thing?
Speaker 3: Wonder Man?
Speaker 4: So this is a new series on Disney Plus and it is an entry into the Marvel Cinematic universe.
Speaker 3: And while that.
Speaker 4: Sounds like you would expect big explosions and lots just lots of special effects, it's not really like that. So this is about a struggling actor in Hollywood who's really hoping that this big audition he has coming up will be his big break, and it is to play a superhero in a superhero movie. And you sort of start to realize that this guy might have powers himself, but that is really background to everything else. So he starts working with a more established actor who's play played by Ben Kingsley, who, of course, you know, won the Oscar for playing Gandhi back a couple.
Speaker 3: Of decades ago.
Speaker 4: So really really solid acting, and it's really more of like a character focused TV show as opposed to like a superpower focused TV show, but there is a little element of that, and all eight episodes are out now and they're only half an hour each.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw the trailer around like, that's a really interesting, sir, and in kind of an offbeat kind of way. So yeah, wonder man. All right, good, can I throw a nugget out for you?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: My wife started watching this and I started watching it, and you can only watch a couple episodes of time because it's intense, but not in the way you're thinking. So Maddy Matheson, who is a trained chef, the only chef on the TV show Bear Bother with the Bear. He plays fat on the Bear, the guy with you know, heavy dude, a lot of tattoos, a lot of ink, mustache goo, really goofy dude. So he has a short the start on YouTube called just a Dash and it's like a twenty minute cooking show. It's not really a cooking show, it's a entertainment show disguises cooking and he basically into the camera and it's a cooking show with really no edit time because he mugs one of himself more and is so self aware and there's like Trent Eastcrew's recipes up, and it's just it's kind of funny and endearing and he's just like a lovable kind of you know, fat dude. And it's for what it is, like fifteen twenty. It's kind of like comedians and cars getting coffee kind of sense. You don't think pick it up anywhere, and it's just really really goofy. So if you're looking for some feel good, just weird cooking stuff, Maddy Matheson is a huge Huger than lifecare Bigger than Life characters so called just to Dash. It started his YouTube and that's on Netflix.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, this is a great recommendation. I will have to touch this.
Speaker 1: I want to try. I want to report next week. Watch a couple episodes and let me know. Get I think the first episode, not to spoil it, starts out with him he's cooking in his house and the crew is there and everything, and it pisses his wife off and she throws him out of the house. And so now he's cooked. He's cooking in an RV behind the house.
Speaker 3: Oh amazing.
Speaker 1: They go on the road and it turns into speed and everything out and they're trying to cook while they're driving, and it's just like it's just buck wild is what it is. So yeah, I highly recommend it just to dash on Netflix. There you go. I added some content today. How about that?
Speaker 3: Huh. I'll take it. I'll take it. I'm always looking for recommendations.
Speaker 1: Thank you, I mean no, all right, brother, appreciate you. Will We'll talk next week. Yeah, all right, have a great weekend, all you two. All the best. Will Gans in New York at Will Gants with two s's at ABC Entertainment. Dude, speaking of which, I'm gonna a quick time out. Want a return of the show. Something just happened in Merrimont that's extremely interesting. You know the Merrimount Theater, which is just iconic. If you had a I don't know a picture of a skyline of the village of Merrimont, it would be front and center that big old Tutor building. So News is involved in that. Coming up in just minutes here, quick time out back with that Sloaney. Friday Morning is here on seven hundred WAW just a few minutes away from News here on seven hundred WLW. As we continue the deep freeze and you're looking for stuff to do inside movies always coming to mind. Who's just I'm talking to Will Gans here a few minutes ago about the very latest. Here's some exciting news for those in and around Merriymont. Joining the show this morning is Alison West, a founder and executive director of the Independent Film Festival here in Cincinnati. Allison, welcome, How are you.
Speaker 10: Good morning, I'm great, Thanks so much.
Speaker 6: For having me on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, I wanted to get the word out here because I think this is a cool thing. If you drive past Monk through Merrimont, and that was one of the earliest planned communities in America. By the way, it's Merrima's a really cool and unique kind of town. If you roll through the center of it, you will see this huge Tutor style Tudor Revival style building, and that is the Merrymont Theater. It's a I believe it's on the National the Register of National Stark Places and so it's been around since I think the nineteen thirties or something like that. And you know, it's tough for theaters these days, especially the small independent ones. You guys are now going to partner with them in order to maybe help save the theater, but get different program right.
Speaker 10: Right, Yeah, Well, so the theater was open on Deceummer twenty fifth, nineteen thirty eight, which is a really really fun.
Speaker 6: Kind of signature of their birth.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but we're going to be moving into stewardship of the space to keep it really vibrant, keep it really available for the community of Marriymont, and continue film programming for the communities that love going.
Speaker 1: There was the theater in danger of closing or is it just you know, a different chapter.
Speaker 10: There's a transition from the current operator, and so it's really just a new chapter forward. It's Independent is just honored to step forward to help steward the future of this cinema.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think if you live in Merrimount in the area, you know the theater. It's it's iconic. It's right there thront and center. Yeah, yeah, it's if you're to have a skyline of Merrimont, the Merrimont Theater be front and center. Because the building is so huge, it just pops the menu you're driving around downtown. And so preserving this for future generations is pretty cool. So what type of programming you're talking at? Independent movies, old movies, new movies first runs.
Speaker 10: What Well, I just want to say that I agree with you that this theater is beloved by so many people. The Esquire Theater group who's run it for so long, have done such a wonderful job of providing this as an asset for the community, and we're going to continue the work that they've laid in place. So the Marrymont Theater currently does play some commercially available titles, some things that you might see at other movie theaters across the city. We will continue that and then over time, as we learn what this community and the people who go to that theater like to see, will consider adding other programming that independent is known for, features from local filmmakers, features from independent national filmmakers. We are currently supporting and working with an Oscar nominated filmmaker who was at our festival last year. So we have some high quality We have some high quality programming that we can offer the community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and all courts of draw film fans, film afficionatis from all over the past time for that too, So it's not just Marrimont. But the money goes back and you know, there's wonderful rests toronts and bars and shops too that are going to benefit from this as well.
Speaker 10: Right, Yeah, I think it's just a win win across the board. It's going to be exciting to just kind of work with Marymont for the winter and then see what we can offer everybody in Cincinnati as time goes by.
Speaker 1: How's the Village of Merrymont with us? I'd imagine they're leading into the two with you.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Actually, Marymont Council reached out to us at the end of last year to work on this theater project, and so they've been incredibly supportive of Sindependent.
Speaker 2: They've been incredibly.
Speaker 10: Supportive of our work, and we've been working right alongside them to make sure that this is the best next thing for the theater.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And if you people don't know the organizations independent Filmfestter you have film Fest on the summer and filmmakers from all over the world come in for this. Yeah.
Speaker 10: Well, and it's so interesting too because when we started Sindependent in twenty seventeen, we are, of course our a five oh one c three nonprofit, but our work has just kind of actually spanned a year round program. We now run the film Festival in September. We do attract filmmakers from all over the world who come and screen their work here in Cincinnati with our communities. But we also run send a next a high school film camp. We have in person and virtual film education master classes. We go really fun events like Oscars watch party and a family movie Night, and we just are out here making sure that people are able to connect with each other through a shared love of movie watching. And there's no better place for us to continue that than at the Marymont Theater.
Speaker 1: What's the fundraising situation. I managed to take some funds to get this up and running taken over the Marymount Theater.
Speaker 10: Yeah, there's a We're launching a three part fundraising campaign. The two biggest elements of this are that people can sign up to steward one of the cinema auditoriums, where they could have their name for a certain amount above the theater within the actual physical space. And then for anybody who is passionate about seeing this theater grow and thrive, we've launched a membership called Friends of the Merrimont Theater.
Speaker 2: The membership, I'm sorry. The membership is.
Speaker 10: Live on our website at Merrimont Theater dot org, where you can sign up to become a steward of the theater and be a proud supporter of one of the most beautiful things in this area.
Speaker 1: It's really cool too, because so many small towns lose the theater. You know, think of that small towns and Marramout is a small village. You know, people often think Cincinnati, but it's part of the local landscape, especially building like that on the National Register. And so you know, you've got to preserve this thing and getting more program and their more bodies and their love it. So where can people go for more info?
Speaker 10: You should go to Merrimont Theater dot org to learn more about what's happening now.
Speaker 1: All right, Alison, good luck. I appreciate it. Thanks, thank you, take care good luck with it. You know, save and that's an important part of our architect You know, often talk about the big building Cincinnati, but you know plenty of villages and towns around the city that ring Cincinnati and Merrimot is just it's such a unique story of the background of how the village started. But that particular piece of landscape. Anyway, let me get a news update in full forecast. Don't have to tell you it's going to continue cold through the weekend. And we're going to get a break sometime maybe late in the week. Also the latest of Minnesota and elsewhere. Sloaney on the Home of the Red seven hundred w WTY Since then, all right, Sloaney here, this is seven hundred WLW another cold a weekend ahead, code code code code cold breaking news. This morning, former CNN acre Don Lemon arrested in connection with an anti immigration protest that disrupted that churchervis Minnesota. He said he was there as a journalist chronicling protesters, and the arrest came after a magistrate last week rejected the prosecutor's initial charge that he'd be arrested, and so this got kicked up to a more i suppose conservative leaning judge and that'll probably get overturned and then support it again and we'll kick this can down the road and see what the courts rule ultimately. But right now it's unclear what charge that he is facing. Although I remember when we talked about this, I think I want to say the Ku Klux Klan Act is probably the one that comes up and basically outlaws interfering within civil rights like civil warship for example. And then of course's defense was I wasn't there protesting. I was there documenting the protesters. The problem I have with that I see the connection that they have, and I think it's kind of weak in that, Okay, we're going to protest this person who's the head of ICE in Saint Paul, who also happens to be a minister at this church, and I don't believe, as I recalled, that he was there that day, but they're going to show up anyway in protest. Well, if you're there to protest that individual, there are probably better ways to do that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like when these clowns show up and protest at someone's house, you know, Judge Kavanaugh for example, someone like that. You know, everyone has their role in life, everyone has their job, and we live in the doxing culture right now, where in the extremes are that simply we're going to show up and do harm to someone on their own turf. And that's maybe it's nothing new, but it's more prevalent today in that if you're going to do that and you show up at someone's home, you also have to think about, well, okay, what about his neighbors? You know, if I live next door to this guy. That's a problem for me. You know, I get the notion of the first amount of protest. I think it just goes too firelight or you know, for those people who are showing up in front of Greg Lansman's house, you know, he's got a family, he's got kids, and it's just because it's your you know, just because it's someone you despise or support, doesn't mean you should be four against them. It should be I'm going for consistency here. And the problem is this though, that if you do this with Don Lemon, and there may be some valid arguments there too, because what constitutes a journalist in this day and age. Everyone is a journal We're all journalists. Look at the people who captured the shooting in soda on their cell phones. Technically even you are a journalist. There's another story out another journalist arrested during that church protest as well. Who's an independent journalist? Which are allowed to be? They got to clarify what a journalist means exactly. It could be anyone who has their cell phone out, Does that make you a journalist? I think that's the crux of the argument here. Now you have plenty of independent journalists with John Lemon, with his track record in history, certainly said hey, listen, I had a show on CNN for a while and certainly more a household than the other. I think some woman got arrested too, But nonetheless, we got to qualify what makes a journalist a journalists and who you know? The First Amendment? Right, does it apply to everyone in that role? And I think there are a lot of people that argue yes in that particular case. But you know, back to the point of showing up at someone's house or in this case, how's the worship that seems below the belt to me? That you are in this this this place of warship and then you have people coming into protests that is all? Is that kind of like burning the flag?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: I despise the flag burning thing, but as an American I get it, like we we're so self aware, we don't take ourselves serious enough to think that burning that symbol of America is not worthy of protected speech because it is now. It bothers a hell to me when people do it, especially during protests, or hanging it upside down. But you know what, again, to show you the lack of consistency in this world, that I would say that, you know, if you respect the flag enough to know the flag code, that you don't burn it and drag it on the ground and hang it upside and people are outrage about that stuff, I will say that then the same rules apply to those folks on the right who have the image of well Donald Trump on it or Charlie Kirk. I said, there's a house side drive by them my way home. Every day. He's got to get the Charlie Kirk flag outside. And it's an American flag with Charlie Kirk's face on it. That's also desecration of the flag. You don't you don't care have it both ways. It's if you're going to talk about the flag being desecrated and dragged and burned, and you also can't do that. Putting someone's image on a flag is no goat. But the Don Lemon thing's gonna be interesting. I think it ultimately winds up getting thrown out. I really do not that, you know. Again, what bothers me more is people showing up inside a church to disrupt a service when the person who you are there to make a point about isn't there. I mean, what are you doing over here? Nonetheless, that just happened minutes ago here, so we'll continue to follow it. You know, as someone in the remodeling, home improvement DIY real estate business, I often talk about, maybe not often as strong word, but h O ways pissed me. Homeowners associations, Not all of them, I think buying large Probably most of them are a bunch of people who are on a board going, hey, listen, I want to make sure my neighborhood doesn't. We have certain standards in the neighborhood, and we've got to buy by the stand I get that. You know, we want to make sure that people's property values stay up, especially and you know, again, I don't think most areas have eight or most neighborhoods have hoays, especially older ones. But you know, you see that your houses falling into disrepair, people not caring about stuff, leaving trash on the lawn. Yeah, you try to sell your house, and even so you look at it and go, oh, that's an eyesore. I don't know if I'll a live across the street from that. You know, someone with all their stud you just leaving Christmas atoa year or whatever. It is just state of disrepair and whatever reason that may maybe elderly people can't afford it. I get that. But then there's field it's just simply zero poops given. But then they're the hoays that are out there, and there are many around Cincinnati where they just feel like it is their job to police every little thing about the neighborhood. This just happened in Nashville. Now, Nashville was hit by a severe ice storm. As you know, we're more equipped than Nashville to deal with this, but then again, Columbus and Cleveland are more equipped than us to deal with it because the further north you get, the more chances to know, I get it. So in Nashville, they were absolutely pummeled by this last storm. As you know, I think what two or three hundred thousand places homes without power down there. It's frightening. I saw some video from where was it Old Miss? Yes, Old Miss and trees were falling. It looked like a hurricane struck there. So much ice did damage, knock a bunch of trees done. They're suffering a lot in the Deep South. They're just not used to this kind of cold and these kind of temperatures. So anyway, back to Nashville, family loses their power, and so what do you do, Well, we have a generator cool. They hook the generator up and they have power and they're heating their home. Here comes the HOA. HOA comes in and with hours of them putting the generator. You know, as you know hopefully you know, if you use a gas generator, you have to have it outside, right, you put that inside, you will die because of carbon monoxide. There's stickers all over those things. Do not operate this inside, do not do it. So they fired the motor up, the engine up, and run these cords inside, some extension cords, and literally hours after doing that, the family gets an email from their HOA management company, Metropolitan Properties, demanding they remove it immediately. The letter cited fire hazard concerns and said the generator didn't fit the communities aesthetic guidelines during a blizzard, during an ice storm. So how this happens usually, and I have first had experience with this myself, I'm going through a similar situation. Now I'll explain. A second is that you have neighbors who generally they're the agents of the HOA. So you know, they're elected or appointed wherever it might be, and they go around and they look for infractions, and most people do that. I was like, Okay, well the grass a little high over there, or hey, you know your fence has fallen over, or hey you got a broken down car in your front yard. Can't have that. Or somebody's out there putting a satellite diition in their front yard. Okay, can't have that. Yeah, we'll just kind of let you know. Then there are the people out there that just simply think that they are well I don't know the FBI or ICE they're out there looking. I mean, if they had their way, they would be able to go in your house and make sure that what's in your cupboard fits in with the guidelines of the HO under the guise of keeping our community aesthetically pleasing. Now, if you lose power and it's cold enough to well, have a concern for your health. I mean it's not even that. How about comfortable?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And every we have the show and I lost part at my house for whatever reason. I don't know why the rest of the neighboroo doesn't have it, or maybe they maybe I don't know. Generally, when power goes out, it's the whole block, right, or the whole neighborhood or the whole city, as the case may be. I think maybe they're lucky enough to have a generator. Is it one of those deals where they're looking for to going, hey, listen, no one else here? Is it they have a generator? Well we can't have that. I mean, that's like socialism, right, It's funny some people BELI examine to go, well what a bunch of nazis the other place, well what a bunch of socialists? Well you have a generator, and I don't. You shouldn't be allowed to use this. But on the other hand, it's a storm and ice storm, and yet you're driving around looking for ways to enforce the aesthetics of the neighborhood whiskey tango foxtrot. What the hell is wrong with you? I mean, if you're that person that drive around looking for violations during an ice storm, you really need some mental health. You really should be institutionalized on that board looking at going away when he's doing what driving out looking for violations during an ice storm during a blizzard? I mean at you know, a once in a one hundred year storm, this is all you have to do with your time. You really need to be institutionalized. I mentioned, I see, I've seen this one place. We had got a rental, and I'm doing demo. I'm you know, demolishing the inside of the house and taking you know, showers out, stuff like that in the ring and I'm getting like bags of trash ands I'm staying, you know, putting stuff in the garage so the dumpster can come in every And I remember that, like bringing the garbage can out, and it was I think garbage comes came in that neighborhood, like on Friday. I wouldn't take it out because I want to. I need to trash contato for other stuff. And I'm bringing it out because I'm ready to. You know, it's a nice summer day. And it's like, I don't know, four o'clock, three, four o'clock in the afternoon, and I'm trotting the garbage can. A dude comes up and I've got my work here on. I'm all sweaty and nasty. And the guy comes up and he's got a you know, he's got a sweater on. I'm thinking, all's two hundred degrees out. You got a sweater on? And he said, hey, I'm so and so, and uh yeah, and I noticed you moving. Aha, well okay, god heh.
Speaker 7: Hey.
Speaker 1: You know in this neighborhood, we don't bring our garbage cans out till six o'clock at the earliest. Like, well, it's four o'clock, he said, yeah, we just we don't really bring them out here until then, because you know it's on sightly. I'm like, well, I'm getting ready to leave, so you know, I only be here, you know, a couple more, couple more weekends and get the stuff done and get somebody in here and get it fixed up. Yeah, but if you leave it near your garage door, I can bring it out for I'm like, look, I'm gonna bring the garbage. It's two hours before your quote unquote deadline. Is it really matter? And that's not I'm doing it every week. I said, Well, I'll make sure the talents that move in that they're not allowed to do that. But is it really bother you that much that the garbage can is out there two hours before everyone else brings their garbage can? Do you have anything else to worry? I mean, clearly you can see I'm doing work. I get it, but I'm not coming back in two hours to put the garbage can out. And furthermore, I don't trust you nor should you be bringing my garbage can out because if you don't do it, then we got other problems. And in the same people, I had a dumpster drop there because I went instead of having the dumpster for a week, I thought I'd be a good neighbor. And you know, I said, I put all the all the trash, all the debris in the garage and ordered the dumpster and said, well, I'll fill it up and you know, take everything to It'd be two trips. But take everything from the garage to the dumpster and it's only in the driveway for you know, a day or two until Runky can come and haul it off. Not good enough. Got yelled at for that that I need to permit, and I'm not allowed to, like just stop, just shut up, go away before you're in the I think I said something of the lines to like, listen, just it's going to be gone tomorrow. I'm doing I'm sure to explain what I was doing. I could be out here for a week or two, it's not going to it's out here for a day. Well, you didn't clear this with us, and now I'm like listen, the only day I could get it. I'm kind of busy, I understand, but you really don't have any grounds here by that time. You call him and then they like called rumky and yelled and they called me like, what's long? What are you doing? I'm like, I told him. They're like, oh my god, these people. And so it was just one of those deals where I think I said to the lady, I said, listen, you come back about me again. You're going to be in the dumpster. Well she didn't like that. She sent her husband over and I said, well it might happen again. So and then we moved forward from that. I got another one too, speaking of you know, punitive stuff. A tenant who has a park in a parking lot, but he has a car cover and the car cover was under his car, and they came and took the car cover from underneath his car because you like, you know, covered up is a nice car and it has covered up during the winter, or like you know, so snowfalls again on it. Yeah, finally one that's certainly not bothering anybody. It's under his car and they come, well, we thought it might blow away. We don't know whose it was like if you took it out and and said, oh, maybe something blow into this guy's car. And he took the car cover out and looked at it and said, oh, it's a car cover. It's probably for the car it was underneath, and they took it and kept it. And they're quoting some violations like do you just go out and look for stuff to occupy your Are you that enamored with the rules because they're gonna play that gay chances? Are you tea you know, the whole glasshouses thing like going and finding those people and going, okay, well, let's see what violations you have in your out? Well that's well you can't you know your trust bed. No, I'm not like I get it. If you know things are out there, they're laying around, it's a problem. And okay, yeah, we want a nice neighborhood to live in with hoa's, but h's are not always, not all of them. I shouldn't say that. But there are some really nightmare stories out there, including this one. Initial Now that's a new one. The power went out. It's some zero freezing temperatures. We put our generator on our on our porch with the extension courts, and within hours of doing that, you're driving around the neighborhood looking for people to site during a state of emergency. You know, I'm not I don't like you know, brought Don Lemon and other people the whole doxing thing, right was showing up to people's houses finding out who they are and going online and ruining their lives and you know, finding their businesses and who they work for, and you know, just trying to you know, just being thoughtless and ruining people's lives because you don't like what they're doing, you disagree with them. And maybe there are some people who are legitimate scumbags that deserve that. However, most people are like, ah, I said or did something done, and now we're going to go and make sure they get fired and their kids get in trouble at school, and we just go and go and go and go and go, and it's we have too much time on our damn hands. It's the problem. But I think in some cases you've loved to nose on these hoas because those people, it's like they're doxy individuals in real life. Not one line to be spiteful, but just because they have nothing better going on. In their lives and you really need you need a different hobby. I would think, you know, hoa's can be good, and I think they're They're certainly useful. And if you live in a nice neighborhood, keeping the value of your home up is wonderful. But there are always people that find the extreme of that and take it way too damn far and have zero common sense. This would be one of them. This would be one of them. Sloani here on seven hundred, w O up it in this Friday morning, coming up at ninth I'm sorry, nine thirty, how about ten thirty six? We don't want to make this day longer, do we?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: Austin's here. We'll tuckle of weekend sports. Kind of lightlyekend in sports at that. I did see that the Bill Belichick and his longtime girlfriend, you know that one they broke up. They split up apparently. I think what happened was that she just got too old for his tastes. We'll find out with Austin. That and more coming up in minutes. Another bizarre story. Minnesota, by the way, I think it's become the new Florida, or is Minnesota? That is Minnesota just the liberal version of floor. I don't know, I don't, but anyway, guy's name is Mark Anderson. He is charged with impersonating an FBI agent. Shows up at a federal prison in New York City to try and get Luigi Mangioni, the United Healthcare CEO murderer, off the hook. He's show prison workers as he says, I'm FBI after's credentials. He pulls out a Minnesota driver's license and has all this paperwork that's quote unquote signed by judge, but just stuff he printed off the internet. And anyway, like, uh okay, this guy's not FBI. In his backpack, here's how he is going to spring Luigia and Luigi Mangoni out of prison. He had on him a barbecue fork and a pizza cutter. I'm not quite sure exactly. The barbecue fork maybe would scare I used as a weapon and hurt someone, kill someone for sure, barbecue fork. But the pizza what are you gonna do? You're gonna cut through the bars with the pizza wheel? I don't. I don't understand. Guy worked in a pizza place and took a barbecue fork in a pizza cutting wheel and thought he was somehow going to free Luigiman Jean. The whole love for Luigiman Jean. I mean he murdered someone. He shot them in cold blood, shot him in the back, and just to show you and this puts in context, I guess maybe the you know, the Don Lemon protests everything else. It's like just how unhinged everybody is these days that this guy goes out and murders someone. And granted, you know, we have a local story here. The reason God's a guy, a young man with brain cancer who is insurance companies is gonna cover him, and I miked Wine got involved, We want to do that next week sometime. Governor de to Wine got involved. All of a suddenly the insurance company backs down. And that happens probably more than you think once we start, you know, the media or in case, the governor calls and like, oh yeah, we're just getting around the overtire. You were one hundred percent with you, Gov. Yeah, sure you were. You're trying to secure everybody. I get the outrage Cheurge Health Companies and you know, maybe CEO is the villain. You know, Villa find in the bad guy here, but you know, murdering someone shooting them to death in the street and cold blood. The fact that this guy is still he's held up like some sort of anti hero, I suppose the new Robin hood. And of course you know the other element of that too. He's a good looking young man and that always attracts some sort of element like we should have more sympathy for someone who's better. Look who's you know, who's good looking, Like I don't know how you do that. You hate someone who's good looking, who's privileged, and yet this guy's somehow fighting for the little guy, which he's really not. You hold him up on some sort of pedestal. It's weird, but yeah, I don't know. I've never tried to break someone out of prison before, but pizza, pizza cutter and barbecue fork would not be And if I was having a i don't know, some sort of some sort of picnic in a cell perhaps, but not to break them out of prison with anyway. Got a news update coming up in just minutes. We'll talk sports with Audie right after this on seven hundred WWD. I will say this that Austin above all else and Roo Kuchina for the man are always wrap Fengles when they're on the plass. I'm the guy that, like, I retire my gear when my team's out of it. So Vegls saw where Benelson the bills are not I'd be warring bills, but when they're out of it, I just I go neutral. I'm a neutral site kind of guy. Austin Olmos here from ESPN fifteen thirty today at noon with Tony Pike. Lots of sports going on this weekend, and is a it's actually, I mean, it's bad for you because the LA line of work, but it's kind of nice just to take a breather for a second. Oh yeah, right, sure for you. Maybe maybe I got for you. Maybe, I mean, why do you talk about Trump? I'll be should talk about more about Trump.
Speaker 12: I'll be on from three to six on Sunday on seven hundred WLW in addition to producing another show every day for three hours and also trying to produce my own for this weekend and come up with stuff to talk about.
Speaker 1: But you know why he's on this weekend. It's called garbage time. Garbage off the back. I know exactly, I know exactly where I stay. Seven hundred WLW is up by twenty five ratings points in four minutes left Austin.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's also a little three and D baby, Come on, shoot, shoot a couple of free throws.
Speaker 1: Get your name in the box score. Garbage time, Almo, that's the show. Fives ago, five years in garbage to sign a D League contract. You're fine.
Speaker 12: You know I've been a role player, maybe you know, long enough to get my uh pension or whatever eligibility or whatever it is too. I know you were in tears this morning because you you're dumb and you watch something you shouldn't have watched. I'm not This was like ten minutes ago. I was crying ten minutes ago. Cheers of joy sort of, Yeah, what were you watching? I watched the video. It was four years ago today, Scott, that the Bengals beat the Kansas City Chiefs to go to the Super Bowl. And if you remember, it was Meg Vogel from Cincinnati dot Com and The Inquirer put together a video it's a little over three minutes long of all the different reactions, filmed reactions of Bengals fans across the world seeing Evan McPherson's field goal go in sending them to the Super Bowl. And I avoid this video like the plague every year because I know how I'm going to react.
Speaker 1: But for some reason, I watched it today. I was crying ten minutes ago because Number I get it. Number One, I'm laughing. I'm laughing at the You're an absurdity in the situation. You're laughing at me, and that's okay.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: I'm that biggest sports fan too. I'll cry like a baby if if, I mean, if the Bengals or the Bills went a Super Bowl, I'll be that guy.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'll be a nice I love football with every fiber of my being, like more than just about anything in my life, more than some people in my life. I see that, and I care deeply about the Cincinnati Bengals, and it is difficult to see and wonder is that gonna be my only shot? And having given to think about that, you know, is it's difficult to reflectching all the people who are excited and fired up and right all.
Speaker 1: I mean, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 12: You know just how much it means to so many people, and how the discourse has changed over the last few years. And I think part of the frustration with so many Bengals fans is because everybody wants to feel that way. And also, you know, I've been kind of split on who to root for in Super Bowl sixty And as I'm watching this video, I'm thinking, you know, Patriots fans, this is kind of their expectation over the last twenty years. Correct, this would mean a lot more to Seattle than it would to New England. So for that reason, I'm starting to lean back towards Seattle, even though I think I like the people on New England. I want the you know, Mike Rabel typing Trayveon Henderson and Ohio state guys to win, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: And it was like a quarter of a second. A quarter of a second is all he'd borrow needed to yeah, throw that. It's also like I've lived in believe me, because you know, as a Bills fan, wide right, Yeah, this was wide right. And it wasn't even that. It was just like, yo, yeah, Berl got sacked.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I also saw the video yesterday.
Speaker 12: It was the rally that the Bills had after they lost that Super Bowl, right, and Scott Norwood comes up to the podium and instead of a chorus of booze, the Buffalo fans cheered for him and uplifted him. And you think of that, what was that thirty forty years ago, and that that would never happen today now because I think sports batting and all that something to do with it. That's part of it.
Speaker 1: People just in general are meaner. Like if that were to happen today, if Evan McPherson would have missed a kick in the Super Bowl and they come out, you know, and have this rally like they did, and they bring Evan McPherson up there, he would be booed. I'm going to disagree with you. I don't think so. I think that everybody. I think because we're similar communities in that it's like, hey, you know the guy guy, he was there, he made some solid kicks. The other thing is you got it. You know, if Jake Elliot missus a field goal in Philadelphia, he'd be shot. Yeah. Yeah, different story in talking. But I think it's Cincinnata, Buffalo. I think we're cities at like might that might be you couldn't have got that. You can add Super Bowl without that guy's like, and he just missed it at a critical time. But he's been money for us all season, get it. I think it's a different thing.
Speaker 12: Anyways, I just wish it was four years ago, simpler times, simpler, back in the old days.
Speaker 1: What was that four years ago?
Speaker 12: It's like from the office where h Andy says, I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.
Speaker 1: That's really true. Yeah, yeah, talking about I I saw this, uh and I just because yeah, you know yesterday's show. I'll leave it Bengals real quick.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: I had council Member Mark jeffries On on favor day of this stuff too, and he was talking about he is he he was calling out the Bengals hard yesterday. Because so here in Cincinnati we've got youth football teams, urban youthful play. The problem is this is crime is a big deal obviously, So the youth football teams unli like we have in the suburbs, Unlike Sydney where you grew up. Did you even play yes football? Okay, okay, you don't have to worry about security because people shooting each other, non people betting on games and getting in fights and shooting each other. Uh So the youth football teams have to raise money and the cost for them to rent a field from CPS because the security and everything else is just you can't do it. So Jefferson Wilder's been going, hey, listen, maybe like the Reds do the community fund building fields. Maybe like FC with youth soccer, Maybe the Bengals, we get the Bengals ball. He has been negotiating with them for a year and a half to get them to do like a split the pot or something and give the proceeds. It doesn't cause them anything and it's good will. He pointed out in his feet on X that the Dallas Cowboys give almost nine million dollars to the community. Okay, that's Dallas, Dallas money. Philly's like eight million, Green Bay a million and a half, Buffalo one point one million, Seattle six hundred thousand, Cincinnadi Bengals last year, you know how much money they gave? How much? Thirty thousand dollars thirty thousand. And that was humane because specifically for or just for the it said donated to the community. Okay that they were Bengals gave thirty thousand dollars in zero the previous year. Now, I will say in defense of the team that I know that they do a lot of charitable works and they don't want the publicity. They do it without wanting recognition, which is extremely noble. However, when you're endeared with the city with a public private partnership and you get taxpayers to pay for seventy five percent of your stadium, you need to do something to make it look like you give a damn. And I will say this, I will go on record as saying two things. Bengals are great at litigation. They're they're they are the New England Patriots of litigation, the New York Yankees. This is the big red machine of litigation. But you also have to do something that the community can see and be tangible. I mean, anonymous acts of kindness are wonderful, they are, but you also have to do something the like you give a damn. And if you open up the dictionary and literally look for the definition of zero bleeps, given Mike Brown's picture is there because they just don't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 12: So I heard about this yesterday and I went through my email inbox all the stuff that I get from Bengals Communications, okay, and I found that they last year donated and paid for a bunch of youth football equipment for a team in the West End the others, and they build a ramp for a veteran nice they put food and lockers and all the month of October for young kids who are struggling with food.
Speaker 3: They do do stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think don't do anything.
Speaker 12: I think you're right that when it comes to specifically investing in physical areas for kids to play football, they could be better at.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 12: There was a thing that they did with the NFL years ago called the Hometown Huddle, where they worked together to build like local parks. I used to live right next to one, and there was this big plaque with the Bengals logo in the NFL logo and and all of it. And it does feel like a very simple solution would be, Hey, here's a split the pot. Here's a fifty to fifty whatever you want to call it. Proceeds go to the Cincinnati Youth Football whatever, and we're gonna build a field here. We're gonna build a field there. Whatever it might be.
Speaker 7: It's a layup.
Speaker 1: I don't know what they cost you any money, because you do like a split the pot the community pace where we're already paying for the stadium.
Speaker 12: But all you're paying for basically are the physical tickets or the digital space to be able to do it, and the ads and the signage and all that stuff that's incredibly cheap.
Speaker 1: You need to promote your cost. They already to go with the team. They advertise they spend money. Come to Bengal season tickets. Okay, it's the same thing, and it's it's it's And the question is, well, why why do the Bengals. Why do the Bengals get such a hard time and the Reds get a pass. It's because the Reds do that stuff.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 12: The Reds presence in the community is incredible, huge. Uh even there, I'm blanking on the name of it, but they're they It's the Youth Academy, the Register Regie, unbelievable, the Academy. The urmunition of what they do with the knuts Off facility in and of itself is ridiculous. Charlie Frank travels the country advising other Major League teams on how to do that.
Speaker 1: Correct, that's how good we are. And it makes the Bengals look worse in comparison, because yeah, that's m MLB Money's big FC is doing this and MLS money is nothing. NFL money is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I mean I also used to live right next to one of those what they caught the mini pitches that f C Cincinnati would build, and there would be kids out there playing all the time, and it was just somewhere else for kids to go. That's not you know, doing something that they're not supposed to do, right, It's the very basic stuff that they seem to struggle with that I wish, and I know there are smart people in that building. I wish they would just say, hey, this would be good for us, for just in a pr sense, to say, hey, the Bengals are helping people in the community beyond just here's some food, here's some football equipment, doing more. I wish they were better.
Speaker 1: I will also say that some of those things you mentioned that you emailed in all fairness though, how many of those were NFL initiated or mandated programs? Like you know, when NFL leans into something, all the teams do it right, So how many of those I'm sure I'm sure there was some of that up sure where they don't have a choice that they'll have to service and stuff you have to I'm sure I'm sure, but still right, it's like, come on, man, yeah, I just already make sure you know thirty grand is it's it's not enough. I know that they've also, I'm about ninety nine percent sure. You know they've paid for some football fields in the past, Yes, like two hundred and fifty thousand dollars grants and stuff for like high schools and stuff like that. You know, they make donations to like the Paul Brown Coach of the Year and stuff like that. It's just there are easy pr points to be scored that they don't score. Yeah, and act like you care, like put your arms again. Back to that whole thing where we would in Boo McPherson if he lost the food, but we would lift them up. If if, even if you were to build a facility, it can be very simple. It can be a turf field. There can be a track around it, there can be some small stands, and every year Jamar Chase hosts a camp there, or every year you know, any player, pick a player hosts the camp there, or Sam Hubber will come back and do an event there or whatever. It's easy and then know in the meantime on Saturday and Sunday mornings. You've got youth football games happening here. Yeah, no doubt about it. And each player, does you know this charitable thing? I mean Joe Burrow Foundation and to Marvel Lusan, it shouldn't been the face of charity for sin today football. Those are individuals. Yeah, the team should be leading that charge. And back to my point, if you know McPherson, we'd lift him up if he missed a game winning kick in the Super Bowl. It goes to show you just talk community, if you've got to reflect back to the community and put your arms around and if you want to be other than you just look at as a business and then pretend it's not so agreed. I know I had enough hammer in the Bengals. If you missed that with Mark Jefferys yesterday, it's on the podcast from yesterday's show via the iHeart Radio. But what do you make a Belichick not get in the Hall of Fame? So I'm not surprised. The reason I'm not surprised is I know that Bill Belichick is not liked. I know that he had a cheating scandal multiple that people don't appreciate, and I know that the voting system the way it's currently constructed is going to hurt him, and it all did. And you know, there is no world in which Ken Anderson should be going up against Bill Belichick for the same vote. It just doesn't make sense. And they've moved the rules around, and they've changed the rules and panel members and voters here and voters. It just doesn't make sense.
Speaker 12: And so for all those reasons, and so far, the ten or eleven people that have voted four others and not necessarily against Bill Belichick have said, hey, we did this because Elsie Greenwood, Roger Craig, Ken Anderson, this is their last chance, and we think they should be in. And we think Bill Belichick's going to get in, whether it's this year or next year. We're putting our votes to these guys. And so when you combine that he was just in general not liked and he did have multiple cheating scandals, and these other guys are on their last shot, you find ten or eleven guys who don't vote for him, and so he doesn't make the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The issue is not with Belichick himself or his resume, or even if people don't like him. The issue is the vote. The voting system just wasn't tenable, and it's led to him getting embarrassed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I looked at that and said, well, and I think he's actually kind of turned into a martyr. Since when were the baseball writers responsible for, you know, getting Bill Belichick? And it feels like that baseball does it too. And you know, back to your point, I get it, there's other guys eligible, and like, he probably get in the next ballot, but you know, again, you don't change the times. It's like, there have been plenty of people who have not gotten the Hall of Fame or had opportunity because there's been better players, are better individuals out there who have qualified. I mean, but I think the point stands. It's like, then does that mean Tom Brady doesn't get in? And yeah, okay, there's scandals and stuff, but what did the league do?
Speaker 3: Did they?
Speaker 1: I think they didn't Pete Rosehen for this, right, I mean, they investigated. There are fines and penalties and all that stuff. And it's also it's a popularity concert, but it's not. It's it's what you do. It's your body of work. He may not be liked at all, but hell, ty Cobb was a real jerk and he's an Hall of Fame. Yeah, It's the question should be is he a fall Hall of Famer?
Speaker 3: Yes or no?
Speaker 1: And the answer is yes. But unfortunately it's yeah.
Speaker 12: But these guys need to get into and so this is their last shots where I'm going to vote for them. The other thing with Belichick too, that whether or not it played a role, and from all the discourse, it seems like it hasn't. He has stunk without Tom Brady and he wasn't good prior to tom Brady, and Tom Brady went to Tampa and won a Super Bowl, and Robert Kraft and the Patriots they got to a super Bowl before Belichick. Right now they've gotten to a super Bowl after Belichick's So all of that just kind of, you know, peel back a couple of other layers, and then you've got all the nonsense that he's going on, you know in North Carolina right now. That shouldn't play a role, but it does. It's it's it. I don't like it because it's unnecessary criticism towards the Hall of Fame and a glaring omission, but I'm not surprised.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And but NFL is like they never make mistakes. This isn't This isn't the NFL. I know, look, I told I get that distinction. Yeah, tough week for Bill Baltic, no Hall of Fame and breaks up with his uh, his girlfriend. They broke up. Yeah, did you hear that?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Huh? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is it a fake account? I don't know they've saying it's a fake account. Okay, Well I knew Willie had been in her DMS, so he broke it off because she's got too old for him. It's like, exactly, all right, you got UC tomorrow West Miller, oh for nine against Houston. Houston and Town tomorrow are new and then exen to Paul X trying to get off the schnide of the three games skin there, and of course Miami just keeps winning, so they do. The RedHawks could be the national champions. The Bearcats are very much due for a win over Houston. It's been like ten years. I feel like here Tony Pike, bitch about this and Mark, but twelve fifty third of aust now, my thanks, Budd, appreciate it. Have a great weekend. Sloane continues, coming up. Uh this ups postal worker who got suspended for whistle blowing. Well, he's a whistle blower. How do you suspend the It's interesting story. It involves just how far you can go on social media involving your employer. That's next sloony seven hundred WWT Cincinnati plony here on seven hundred WLW. We know that your employer can punish you for things you post on social media. Play stupid games when stupid prizes happens all the time, But what about when it's a work related safety issue. So this guy, Jason Thompson, he's a twenty year plus USPS mail carrier and Fairfield suspend without pay because he posted safety concerns on social about winter storm conditions on Facebook. They made me show up. And the narrative of the story is really quick. Is that he shows up to work and notice that the lots are poor ploy I don't want to say that they're not plowed really well, and the postal trucks are barren in snow. They said, hey, there's no packages here to the lever because of the storm. But you've got to dig your cars out by hand. We don't have shovels or anything for you, but yeah, get in there. And sart. You lean into it, get onto your hands and knees and shovel off these trucks that aren't gonna run anyway, and there's nowhere to put the snow, and it's a mess. And you know, he's sixty years old. And the end result is, well, we hear people having heart attacks all the time because of this. Is that in the scope of his job? And he would say, no, it's uh. They made cuts and can't have anyone coming properly clean off the vehicle so we can do our jobs. And he bitched about it on Facebook, the age old American sport of complaining about your boss. Well, it led him to an unpaid suspension. The question is is he a whistle blower and is he protected? And what are your rights if you run into something like this? George Rule is here. He is the first and foremost the employment law attorney in Cincinnati with freaking Myers and rule. George, welcome back. How are you? How's life son?
Speaker 6: Hey funny, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: I'm well, yeah, I don't think you guys are involved. Maybe you guys are involved with this case, I don't know, But does this fall into the guys of whistleblower complaints. And you know, he puts it up on social media about safety conditions? Is that qualified? The safety issues? Complying is whistleblower activity? And keep in mind this is federal law and he works for a federal agency.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh.
Speaker 5: Generally speaking, Uh, whistle blowing activity usually involves an employee disclosing information that they reasonably believe is evidence of illegal, unethical, or unsafe activity. Uh. And and so obviously his complaints here uh do have some relationship to unsafe activities.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know, I think there is a question in terms of.
Speaker 5: The manner in which he disclosed, you know, generally speaking, a complaint to your employer, uh, or an.
Speaker 6: Agency such as OSHA. OSHA is a.
Speaker 5: Federal agency that enforces workplace safety laws, so certainly could be protected activity. Also, Uh, it might be protected concerted activity under the National Labor Relations Act because he is talking about his terms and conditions of employment, So there might be some additional protection there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: As a postal work he's protected by union. Although he has been suspended without play they called an emergency placement without pay pending an internal investigation, and of course the Postal services, well, no employee safety is our top priority. That's hard to argue though, if you've got your sixty year old postal workers who normally sit in a truck and deliver mail out with their hands and I don't know, using dust pans and probably coffee can lids to drag and clear snow out from around your vehicle. And keep in mind the snow was plowed in a fashion that all the snow from the lot is now pushed up against where the vehicles are, so it's several feet of snow he got to dig out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that certainly, and I believe he was sixty years old.
Speaker 2: Not really an.
Speaker 6: Age thing, but you know, physical work certainly could be an employee safety issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not sure if that covers. Are there specific whistleblower protections that apply to USPS employees. I know this is kind of getting granular here, and you may not know the answer to that, but if you're a federal employee with a union, are you covered in there is or something else?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 5: Interestingly, OSHA or the Postal Service is one of the few federal agencies that's covered by OSHA as far as workplace safety. Their most federal employees are covered under something called the whistle Blower Protection Act, so you know, there there are a ton of different whistle blower laws. OSHA actually has a whistle blower protection program that covers twenty different statutes. So you know, in order to have protection as an employee, what you are complaining about has to be legally protected activity, and often you need an underlying statute to provide that protection. So you know, it is kind of a patchwork of laws and it's confusing. So you know, it's it's something where you probably need some legal advice to know whether you're protected.
Speaker 1: What your lawyers at George Rul did, do you see this as undue retaliation for protected activity?
Speaker 5: It certainly, it certainly could be. You know, he got he got suspended off of work. It's interesting, as I understand it from from looking at some of the articles about it. The Postal Service asked him to come back several hours after he was suspended, which you know, sort.
Speaker 6: Of suggests they knew it was potentially.
Speaker 5: A problem to put him, you know, put him off work. Uh So I certainly think, uh, this is one where he does have some legal protection. It didn't seem to be just an individual gright. You know, he was he was when he made his post. As I understand it, he said, you know, I know I'm not the only one who has this concern, So you know, generally it does seem like he was not only speaking for himself but his coworkers and the working conditions. So you know, if it's not if it's not whistle blowing, uh, it certainly might be uh conservative protected actip.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting because I know Fox nineteen broke the story and a couple of the media outlets had obviously we're talking about this morning with George Rule, employment law attorney from freaking Myerson Rule here in Cincinnati, and uh, as soon as that happens, it's like, well, you know, well why don't you come back to work? I mean, it's interesting how that plays out. Does that indicate though, from a legal perspective, that maybe they got this wrong at first blush, that they're backing off so quickly.
Speaker 2: Well, it certainly appears like that.
Speaker 5: Now obviously bringing him back after a few hours, that would that would limit the adverse impact of a of a suspension, Uh, you know, only only losing uh you know, maybe two three hours hours of pay. But you know, I certainly think most employees who speak out. Uh, you know, do have a concern, Hey if I put a target on my back by you know, disclosing thiss. So you know, it's not only the immediate suspension, but kind of how he's treated in the future.
Speaker 7: So yeah, that's see.
Speaker 1: Uh so this guy is postal worker, Jason Thompson is told to take down the post or there's gonna be repercussions. He didn't, and the repercussions where we suspend you without pay. Talk about a wonky constitutional First Amendment called prior restraint? Was prior restrainted play here?
Speaker 6: You know, I don't know that One's funny.
Speaker 1: That's a good question, right, I was like, well, I mean it's it's a constential rite in many maning says, we prevent you from doing something we don't like in the first place. And so the legal standard about his speech was they said it was a matter of public concern, the public somehawser I don't know if I buy the this is an issue of public intern this is a workplace safety issue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean whether or not it's protected on the First Amendment.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, that's.
Speaker 5: You know, that's maybe a complicated legal question. You know, is he is he talking as a public employee or a private citizen.
Speaker 6: You know, I certainly think there's an angle.
Speaker 5: That would be a matter of public concern. Uh, you know if certainly during a level two SNOW emergency. I think there's a question of whether or not, you know, postal workers need to be on on the road.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: It's interesting the the Postal Services statement in response kind of touched on that in terms of saying, hey, you know, people need their medications. Uh, you know government correspondence. So you know, there's an argument from the employer there. You know that there's a there's a need for for the postal workers to be on the on the road and right delivering our right.
Speaker 1: But at the same time they said that, I guess the trucks that were bringing the mail in where there were no packages to deliver that day, So why we digging our trucks out if we can't move. It's like, okay, well we're going to show up and make you dig our trucks out because maybe that'll save money. I don't know about that. On the other side of this charge rule, talk about the burden of proof that the Postal Service had had they suspend him and what evens they have that that backs their claim up. We've talked about this case Jason Thompson and has a pretty good claim here. This is a whistleblower type of issue. But how does the United States Postal Service affirmatively defend themselves?
Speaker 5: Well, I think you know, again, they would look at hey, is this just an individual employee ripe, you know, looking at the manner in terms of you know, how he communicated.
Speaker 6: This, did he talked the management to press? Is concern.
Speaker 5: Initially at the outset. You know, I think the Postal Service would say, hey, look, this is a you know, a couple hours suspension, so is it is it really an adverse employment action? So you know, there would be some legal defenses there, but but certainly I'm not sure how the Postal Service could argue that the suspension had anything to do other than than the post itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh, and you know the content and the post being about potentially unsafe working conditions. So that seems to be a tough argument.
Speaker 1: Right, And it also feels like both sides, at least the post Service wants us to go away because they brought brought them back in hours later, and it's like, well, it was maybe it was a misstep on our part here, We're going to have to clarify our policies and like, but what does the takeaway for someone listening to going, well, I'm not a postal worker. I don't have to dig trucks out or maybe I do, but I'm not in a union. When you should you think twice and what what? And I guess what are the boundaries you're posting stuff on social We see people fired all the time, right, George, because they do something on social or say say and they want to be getting fired because it makes their company look bad, which is perfectly when they're right to do so. But what are the limits of that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So certainly if you are publicly disparaging your employer, if you're you know, posting your individual rights online, that can be ground.
Speaker 2: To get you discharged.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know what you are speaking out about, what you're communicating, uh is important? You know, are you exposing something unsafe?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 6: You know, unethical? Illegal?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: That type of speech tends to be protected. Is it a matter of public interest?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 6: Is there is their First Amendment issue? And you know then are you are you talking about the terms and cantions of your work.
Speaker 5: Is it you know, is it a collective discussion that might be protected again under the national wave relationship.
Speaker 1: Right, and the other element of this too. I use another example we've seen this happen before, where somebody is a fast food worker and they're doing something in the kitchen that you know, could wind up getting a customer sick, doing something stupid, and they post it and they wind up getting fired. They could turn around and say, well, I was just exposing this because you know as a whistleblower. Well, it's different if you're participating in it. Is the crux of the their argument or their defense going, hey, I presented this to management, showed them the video and they didn't do anything. If you post it on social after they refused to act on the complaint, does that then make it a whistleblower complaint?
Speaker 6: It could?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean going to your employer first and raising the concern I think would would would heighten the protection.
Speaker 6: Because you're, you know, it shows you have an interest in you.
Speaker 5: Know, protecting folks I guess from getting sick in that case.
Speaker 1: Right at the very least, it sounds like, you know, the common sense thing to do outside of the legal wranglings of this is to simply give the employer, give your employer a chance to remedy the situation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that that certainly establishes an element of good faith rather than just you know, trying to cause problems, right if if you're trying to address the problem, uh, you know, make.
Speaker 2: Somebody aware of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's and that's just common sense and has something to do with the law. The first step is going to your boss or your employers saying, hey, here's this is a problem. Why why are we doing this? Why am I shoveling snow art? Or why is this person I don't know, doing something in a kitchen at a at a fast food restaurant they shouldn't be doing. If they ignore that at workplace safety issues, then okay, then then you know you post it on social it's a different story entirely. All right, Well, it's an interesting interesting case for sure. George Rule at freaking Myers and Rule employment lawyers here in Cincinnati. All the best, George, thanks for jumping in this morning.
Speaker 5: Hey, thanks, good to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, be well, I hope you're well well. Chat again soon, because there's really something popping up in the workplace, that's for sure. There's news on the way in just a few minutes here on seven hundred WLW. And when we return now it's rather cold, but you may have a little cabin fever.
Speaker 2: I know I do.
Speaker 1: We actually with my wife having her knee done and finally ventured out and actually eat a meal out of the saloon castle last night. We're like, we got to get that out of here. A little bit of cabin fever. So if you want to venture out, dip that toe in the cold, what to do, where to go, what to see, what to eat, what to drink? Ali Martin and the Local Loop is coming up in just minutes here on the Scott's Loan Show on seven hundred W All day.
Speaker 3: The weekend's coming up and you need to make the most event.
Speaker 2: Where to go and what to do?
Speaker 3: She has the tips and inside to help you make it a super weekend. So listen up. This is the Local Loop with Ali Martin on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Good morning, How are you be honest? I was contemplating why what the purpose of the segment is. No one wants to live their house right now?
Speaker 7: I know, I was thinking about that on my way and I'm like, okay, we really we need to support local. This is the tongue's ridiculous where you need to at least get out once once this week.
Speaker 1: Last night, you know, me and my wife, Tiny Tim, she goes, that's a new one, Tiny Tina with her bad and she's like, let's go out to eat it? Like what are you sure?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like.
Speaker 3: She's like, I.
Speaker 1: Can't, I can't stay in anymore.
Speaker 7: She's she hit the point. But you're also like your liability because you you just had surgery. I know if you slip and fall, we don't have time to go back down cabin fever one and it was it was wonderful eating.
Speaker 1: I was like, COVID. It's like we haven't round so lungs, Like this is like COVID.
Speaker 7: Where'd you go?
Speaker 1: Just a corner of the bar and had a burger and a beer. I was happy.
Speaker 7: I feel like and the winter and Nicold has to be getting to you because as soon as I walk and I look at you wearing this matching jumpsuit, I thought you were about to use this is a music video recording?
Speaker 1: Is it in a jumpsuit?
Speaker 7: Is that what you call it.
Speaker 1: You're my idea. Yeah, I got my I didas I love it.
Speaker 7: It's magic, it says black and just playing side.
Speaker 1: I was going to work out after the show, so I'm like, I don't want to bring change of clothes because I put them in my bag, live in the car and nothing put a little better than putting frozen clothes up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're very trendy. Do you use the gym in the building.
Speaker 1: No, I'm going to go. Actually I'm doing because I'm old, I'm doing pilates. I'm trying to get you because.
Speaker 7: I thought you gave up on the plates game. I just.
Speaker 1: I know it's just like a bunch of old women and like it's I'd rather be more.
Speaker 7: There is a business idea if someone wants to do pilates more geared towards men.
Speaker 1: That could be I don't know what that would look in boxing to plates.
Speaker 7: I know the stretching. You're going to be journaling.
Speaker 1: I know I'm ready going to do it to buy some organic kale. Hate my life right there.
Speaker 7: It's good for you, this is healthy?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Great anyway, Well because having hurt, so it's helping, it's helping.
Speaker 7: I can't you could just drink whiskey instead.
Speaker 1: Ooh, got ideas where whiskey weather it's always whisky is always especially bourbon weather is definitely this is bourbon west Yoh.
Speaker 7: Okay, so we need to talk about this if you're going to get out anywhere and you're a whiskey fan. I can actually thank boyfriend Brandon whiskey Weather for this tip off because he's been spending some time over at the Incline public House. Right so, Price Hill area, this might be the Inclined public House might be the best place for rare bourbon and whiskey poors when it comes to your price point. And do we need do we want to go over a little bit about you know in Clin.
Speaker 1: Podcast, what it's all about public house?
Speaker 7: All right, so over in Price Hill right back in the day. Price Hill started Incline in eighteen seventy four and at the top of the hill there was an establishment, a bar and a restaurant and that closed in nineteen forty three and then this Price Hill Incline public House came to be. But the best part about this being on the west side, you have you have all the views. It's the panorama of the city. It's fourteen hundred square feet of the outdoors the indoors. The food is incredible, it's really scratch kitchen housemate smoker. Uh, incredible pizzas we have, yes, or I had a salad with the steak and their trouble fries are so good.
Speaker 1: The view is amazing.
Speaker 7: The view is amazing. It's a vibe. You know, if you don't have four wheel drive right now, it might be a little tough to get in and out of.
Speaker 1: Their hard Roger, just a little icy mane getting up that hill.
Speaker 7: Yes, but when you need to find parking on the side all.
Speaker 1: The summer, yeah, so barking is an issue right there.
Speaker 7: Parking is an issue anyway. Where we're going with this is the fact that their price point on their pores are incredible. So we'll take, for example, George T. Stag for a one ounce poor people. Could you know you could be like, oh, walking out with the one out poor potentially seventy five thirty dollars for one ounce poor for George T. Stag eagle rare seventeen fifty bucks. King of Kentucky. There have been places where we have seen King of Kentucky price at one hundred dollars or more forty eight bucks year sixteen years. King of Kentucky Old fits seventeen year, forty bucks. Okay, where were we the other day and they asked for ninety dollars for a poor? And we've also done some research and I'm not going to throw anybody under the bus, right, doing some comparison of other places around town, and it is crazy. Yeah, Thomas h Handy SAZARAQ. This one is incredibly priced fifteen dollars. Normally you're spending fifty to sixty bucks for an ounce poor there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear that and go, I don't know if I like one hundred bucks or a one ounce poor.
Speaker 7: That's insane. But that's why this because we have experienced it ourselves where we're like, okay, you know, I want to be able to try some of these rare bourbons and whiskeys that I might not always get my hands on, but I also can't justify spending sixty seventy one hundred dollars for a poor. I could see between fifteen sometimes thirty, depending on what it is, and that's typically what the inclined public houses is pricing around.
Speaker 1: For me, It's like I don't know. I love I like bourbon a lot I do. It's my drink of choice, But I don't I'm not in the laying out that kind of money for one ounce, Like I don't know if my palette's good enough to go or something. I remember, Yeah, know what I mean or not?
Speaker 8: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I mean if I'll try it. But like I I fine drop that kind of money.
Speaker 7: I understand it.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 7: But at the same time there's people of people who are and who are on the hunt for it. Yeah, yeah, jam your spot, what was it? Jim Gaffickin had a whole bit in his last You've.
Speaker 1: Got gafficking money though, so it doesn't matter.
Speaker 7: Well, he talks about how he was using Jerry Seinfeld one night because Jerry's like, well, whatever you want, it's on me, all right, And he orders King of Kentucky and wherever he wherever they were at, it was like one hundred four hundred bucksupport. So that's in his bit. But there you go. For anybody who enjoys whiskey and enjoys, you know, maybe you don't want to commit to buying a three hundred dollars bottle of King of Kentucky. This is your chance to give it a give it a taste without breaking the bank.
Speaker 1: If you want it, and then you know it's for you.
Speaker 7: And it's exactly exactly well, and then good luck finding it.
Speaker 1: It's just it's such a great bar. It's just it's lovely. The vibes are right yep, yep, you could and if you want't to like drink there and the prima Vista is right there too. Yeah, it has not been to prem beautiful love the view. Food was good where they're a year ago. Nice, nice joints love, Prace sal I've been Pryce So girls good.
Speaker 7: All right, praysal gurlies goes. Know the way you're dressed, though, I feel like you are ready for a cloff coffee club DJ session. Have you heard about the fact that these so coffee clubs are doing DJ sessions and raves during the day on Saturdays and Sundays. It's becoming a thing because it.
Speaker 1: Goes with the caffeine. I suppose you're caffeated up your raging anyway.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I really honestly think this is our millennial stamp in the world, because, as someone who has spent many two am nights out and about dancing on the dance floor jabs. Sometimes our bodies just can't do this anymore.
Speaker 1: So we're like, Okay, how do we drink coffee, listen to DJ?
Speaker 7: Yeah, and how do we maximize our day and not feel like total crap? And it's it's happened.
Speaker 1: I trying to figure this out because what two years ago we wanted that cruise and we're in Greece and like on the ship it was a great ship and loved it. Like we had this Mexican restaurant that was on board the ship. Yeah, and they had DJ and you couldn't have conversation with it because so loud. That's the most millennial thing ever, is like I'm just trying to eat a Really the food was fantastic.
Speaker 7: Is that a millennial thing or is it just like a bad No?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if it was because it was on a virgin cruise, so I don't know if that's more Richard Branson with the music maybe, Like I don't know, if you want to DJ, I mean allowed it was like a club, yeah, and I'm trying to eat and we're having a conversation like the day No, it's night. Okay it was night, but yeah, you guys love. There's two things malons. You you want craft beer everywhere, that's that's no. Yeah, and you bring your kids and you.
Speaker 7: Gotta keep yourselves safe and drinking. And problem is because you have a two parent working home and I.
Speaker 1: Guess, but I mean we had a two parent work at home and we never go out. It's like, I'm kind of jealous. Actually that's changed.
Speaker 11: I miss that.
Speaker 7: I breweries were created.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, damn it. I couldn't before. You look like, well, you're not allowed to bring a kid in a bar. Now it's like it's called hard. You got play school stuff ling all over the place on top of the bar. I'm like, what what are we doing here?
Speaker 7: Legos are your accent.
Speaker 1: I'm here to drink to get away from kids, not be around more kids. That's the whole thing.
Speaker 7: I don't mind it as long as your kids aren't all up in my viz.
Speaker 1: They usually are running around screen.
Speaker 7: Maybe that's why the music is so loud, so you could buff for the sound.
Speaker 1: There's a couple, you know, birds in our house. I won't go to because all the time it's kids running around all over the place like I'm I'm trying to get half of the bag here, and you guys are ruining the vibe.
Speaker 7: So but here's the thing. On the cruise, right, was it late? Was it a late late dinner or was it?
Speaker 1: Don't remember? No, it was I don't know, maybe been like eight or nine.
Speaker 7: You know, I like to give the benefits of your time zone.
Speaker 1: I don't know times I'm going to cruise the middle of the ocean near Greece, I didn't know, I know what day it is.
Speaker 7: That's the point. They want to make you feel like you have absolutely no control.
Speaker 8: It's nice, but it's like it seems like we got the DJ DJ at a coffee shop. Just seems if you're there. The most coffee shops, people are working or relaxing. Right, But this is this is the point, though, So what is the point. We didn't even get to the point.
Speaker 7: So this coffee club Cincinnati, first of all, it's happening this Saturday at eleven am to one thirty, and they, of course they're gonna be starting to espresso Martiniz and stuff like that. It's at Aces Pickleball so at Factory fifty two in North Would But you are also seeing it pop up in coffee shops as well. But what makes us really great is, you know, this isn't a dedicated coffee shop, so if you are a local coffee shop dweller and trying to get work done, you're not randomly stepping into a rave. But it's this point of like, Okay, you want to go out and grab coffee and maybe socialize with some people, have a DJ dance. The space is big enough where you don't need to press your face right up against the speaker and feel the beats, you know, pump it through your body. That's what the caffeine is for. And they're bringing in local vendors, so this is your chaste to have, you know, espresso, Martini, Mimosa's cocktails, and it's a little bit of a mix and mingle. So this is a fun little twist where they are handing out optional green wristbands and this indicates that hey, you can't. Yeah, this is not a singles event, but potentially it could be that, Hey, I want to.
Speaker 8: Be hit on, so you if you choose to, I don't think it's a better Yeah, it's good because you know what you don't know the signals.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you don't know nowadays know. So Yeah, I'm like, I'm I'm a I'm a social butterfly and sometimes that could come across.
Speaker 1: Okay, you never know, got it? What's what's what's I'm attached red.
Speaker 7: That's a go away tattoo, don't to me. So there you go.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 7: I think you would fit in perfectly with.
Speaker 3: What we have each other when we come together and go read the.
Speaker 7: More power we have against our greatest health reread. Visit go red for women dot org today to learn more.
Speaker 13: It happens all over Massachusetts, in every home and every community. Learning can happen anytime, anywhere, no matter how learning takes place in your family's life. DESI is there as your partner the Massachusetts Department in Elementary and Secondary Never stop where.
Speaker 3: Find out more at mass dot com.
Speaker 4: Slash back to School sponsored by the Massachusetts Department for Elementry and Second Education.
Speaker 11: The Financial Exchange has now available every day from eleven to noon non Serious XM's business radio channel one thirty two. Stay informed about the latest from Wall Street, fiscal policy, and breaking business news every day. The Financial Exchange is live on Serious XM's Business radio channel one thirty two. This he's the Financial Exchange Radio Network, Ladies and gentlemen the weekend.
Speaker 14: The Financial Exchange is incredibly proud to be a partner of the Disabled American Veterans Department of Massachusetts. Planning is well underway for the twenty twenty six DAV five k. The event sold out in record time last year, so head to DAV fivek dot Boston and for all the information about how you can participate this November or make a donation to support our great American heroes. Your gifts helped fund free rides to medical appointments for veterans in the nation's first DAVY ladhousing initiative, providing homes for single veterans and veteran families. Go to DAV fivek dot Boston and make your donation today. That's DAV five k dot Boston.
Speaker 15: As promised, We're now joined by Paul Amonica from Barons. We're gonna be talking a little bit about United Health. Paul, how you doing today?
Speaker 9: Goodiks? How you guys don't better.
Speaker 1: Than United healthstock? Earlier this week?
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 9: Yeah, the you know, the revenue missed forecasts a bit, The guidance wasn't great but then you also had the news from the the you know, from Washington about you know, President Trump proposing that the reimbursement rates for Medicare advantage aren't going to go up all that much and at least the proposts for twenty twenty seven. And I think that really spooked a lot lot of investors. And we saw not just United Help Shares tumble on that news, but CBS, which owns Etna. You saw Humana get hit, a couple of the other smaller, you know, Medicare focused insurers like Sentien and Alena, also you know, getting hit Anthem owner Elevents as well. So it was just a very difficult time for the the insurers, you know, in light of that. And now you know, it went from being the darling of the Dow, the company that at the highest price by far, to you know, kind of middle of the pack, but it still has a high enough price that it impacts the Dow. Because what was interesting on you know, the news was the rest of the market held up relatively well.
Speaker 15: Paul helped me reconcile these two ideas then that are in my head for pretty much the last thirty five years. One of the most consistent investments in terms of performance has been healthy insurance, specifically United Health, like they just cranked from basically nineteen ninety onward. How do I reconcile that with the fact that now this is a pretty hostile environment for insurers across the board, not just doing at health insurance. Like everyone's talking about insurance costs and we're talking about you know, capping them and figuring out you know, reimbursement rates and this and that. Is this a fundamentally different environment than just a year or two ago, Or is this just a little not little blip, but you know, some kind of speed bump and then these guys resume they're regularly scheduled programming.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I don't know if this is going to be you know, the industry getting back to the way it used to be. I mean, you have a pretty vocal, you know, anti insurer sentiment I think in DC. And this is by parison, this is by no means just President Trump and the Republican Party. I think a lot of Democrats, you know, clearly are a very hostile towards this industry as well. And you know, is something that is you know, a very easy political win because you know, you're not going to find too many people who you know look at their you know, doctors bills and say, yeah, I love my health insurance.
Speaker 7: Wish I could pay more?
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, definitely they deserve a lot more. Uh, this is not something that I think is going to change. Any time you.
Speaker 1: Take the bread becomes the vessel to put the super Think a toddler eating for the first time. You thought I was like trying to explain a car trick to a dog. You think that man has ever cooked a meal in his legs.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but it was funny, Like you love he loves soup. He's a soup guy. Oh yeah, this kind of weather soup. I'm with him.
Speaker 7: What how about the French onions.
Speaker 1: I'm good with a good French extra cheese.
Speaker 7: It's really hard to find a good friend get a good.
Speaker 1: Koton or whether that slice of bread on top, that's good, a.
Speaker 7: Good French onion soup. So if anybody has some recos.
Speaker 1: Your girl tip said, the solid, solid French onion, that's about it. That's you get a really good French onion, That's what I'm talking about, or a good I love a good lobster bisk too creamy. Really yeah, I'm not a creamy soup guy.
Speaker 3: You're not.
Speaker 7: It's got to be a I am a creamy soup cow.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I don't like clam chowder.
Speaker 1: Gotta I get it, you get it. Did a chicken yoki the other day. Did a tuskin kale soup the other day with beans. Was great.
Speaker 7: A chicken yoki soup.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, solid old pick.
Speaker 7: I'm here to support you.
Speaker 1: Soup days, baby soup days. And speaking of my real quick Dorothy Land Market and Mason I stopped the other day and they had ramen broth. They sold there on ramen broth. Okay, so it was really good, you know I was, but it was fantastic.
Speaker 7: If you want one of the best ramens in this any zoon, do downtown. They are incredible. And then there's also a joint over in East Walmut my neck of the woods, and they did a scott that for I don't know if they still have it on the menu, but they did a skyline.
Speaker 1: Ramap oh skram we're talking about that's yeah, I don't know what it is. Unquiva soup weather. So the soup places are they're making their hey, right now, Ali Martin, Local Loop, Ali Martin eight YouTube channel of course, as well the good drama with Alie Martin, she Pops and Fridays with the Local Loop. All the best, Stay warm, good luck. I got to go meet up with the Beastie Boys. We got to show tonight. Seven hundred ww