Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bass Saying for Dodger talking.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what today is snell Zilla Saturday, Blake Snell making his season debut, and No Mar Garcia Para is wearing his best tie, his best shirt, His beard is perfectly groomed, his hair is perfectly combed on a big night at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the time, No Mar.
Speaker 1: You met Dave, and especially I mean when your guy Blake is on the hill, you got to make sure you're dressed and ready to You're ready to perform and be out there, especially when we're doing the pre and postgame show.
Speaker 3: So I have to look my best for your guy Blake. That's right.
Speaker 2: All eyes on Dodger Stadium tonight, of course.
Speaker 1: And it's a bobbleheads. You know, people are lined up ready to come in and fill the stands and show their support. But honestly, you know what, it is really exciting to see that he's back out there.
Speaker 2: No Mar, obviously, your hitting IQ is next level. We learned so much watching you on Sports at LA. What is the state of the Dodger offense and was there signs of hope after last night?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean, they were facing a really tough pitcher last night. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: When you're placing a guy like Chris Sale, and the way they were able to manufacture runs, they had some timely hitting, they had capitalized on some opportunities because you know, Chrisale wasn't gonna give me any opportunity, so they were able to do that. So that was really good to see. So is there a promise? Absolutely? It was almost like yesterday where they almost do the book out. And what I mean by that, You're facing a guy with Chris Sale unbelievable fastball, unbelievable breaking stuff. I'm not really worried about the percentage of how many times he throw as a breaking ball, what he's starting to what count. I'm going, I gotta go battle, I gotta go out there. Maybe there's a fastball I can handle, and I got to put that ball and play. And it looks like that's what they were doing against him, rather than trying to worry about so much what does the book say or how he's gonna attack me, because even if you even if he tells you what's coming, it's really hard to hit. So it was almost like they were more focused on getting a pitch that they can handle in a spot. They were looking to try to do something, and I wish they just did that more. I think they give a lot of pictures so much like they are Chrissale throughout the league when they're not all like Chrisale.
Speaker 2: I heard you say a few times use this phrase that i've heard, paralysis by analysis. What does that exactly mean and how do you eliminate that?
Speaker 1: Well? I think there are times when you look at a scount of report. For example, I think I'm trying to remember it might have been McGreevy or somebody they faced over in Saint Louis, but it was the guy didn't throw a whole lot of first pitch strikes yet, I mean, that was the book on not a lot of first pitch strikes, but doesn't walk a whole lot of people, so it's not technically wild. Maybe he's looking for pitches for you to chase, stays on the corners and that's his game. Yeah, that is true. But they took a lot. It seemed like they were taking fastballs down the middle then because they were thinking, well, doesn't throw a lot of first pitch strikes, so that means I take, I don't swing at the first pitch. No, that's you thinking way too much rather than going okay, he's going to try to get me to chase. He's going to try to stay on the corners. He doesn't walk anybody, so he's around the plate. That tells me I should be looking in my spot. And if it's the first pitches in my spot, whatever that zone is, I have to let it fly and let it go.
Speaker 3: I can't take, I can't assume.
Speaker 1: I can't be having all these numbers in my head thinking about okay, now that I'm oh one, well, oh one seventy percent of the time, he's gonna come at me with.
Speaker 3: A breaking ball.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I'm you know one oh or two oh two oh? He doesn't like throwing the fastball on this counter.
Speaker 3: What like? Enough.
Speaker 1: With all of that, you have to sometimes just trust and say, here's my zone.
Speaker 3: If I see it in this zone.
Speaker 1: Uh, he's got to prove to me that he is going to make me leave my zone.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to attack it and be able to hit these pitches.
Speaker 1: I think watching this offense at times that you can tell that they're thinking they're taking the pitches you know that they should be hitting. You can see them step out like, man, why'd I take that? And then they find themselves chasing pitches that they shouldn't because now they're kind of thinking in another another way.
Speaker 2: No Mare Garciapar from Sports net LA as our guest and no more one two batting titles. Being very aggressive on the very first pitch, being ready to hit on the first pitch. How important is that not to lose if.
Speaker 3: You're a hitter.
Speaker 1: Listen, I think everybody just assumed I was just I wasn't a free swinger and just thinking I was, just like you mentioned, ready to hit on the very first pitch.
Speaker 3: The game told me the type of hitter.
Speaker 1: I was supposed to be at that particular at that So whether man on second base, nobody out and I'm thinking about moving that guy over, I would think about guys who are how they're hitting behind me, Guys even after that, who's in the bullpen? The game told me so much on that at bat. Am I leading off the inning? How good that picture is up there? As well? Am I just trying to get on base? So all those things factored in prior to when I stepped into the batter's box. So the game told me, Okay, here's what I'm trying to do. Well, when I have that idea of what I'm trying to do that particular at bat, there's either certain areas I'm looking or certain pitches that I'm looking, and a lot of times it was area. For example, if I'm thinking going the other way, I'm looking away to try to get that accomplished, you know, to try to make sure to move the guy over at the very least, and I'm going to try to give myself. Maybe I always thought it wasn't three strikes in I'm out. I got three chances to accomplish my goal, and I'm not going to just let you take away a chance. So if it's the first pitch that allowed that you throw in the area that I'm looking at and try to accomplish my goal and that at bat, I'm going to let it fly. So I'm ready to do my job from the very first pitch. I don't need to wait to see one.
Speaker 3: I've been looking at the picture from the side of the entire time. I don't need to wait to see one.
Speaker 1: I don't need that I've already done all of that I'm ready the moment I step in.
Speaker 2: No mark before I let you go. Obviously, Shoho Tani has set the expectations and the bars so high with what he's done in his entire career and especially the last two years with the Dodgers. Do you believe the pitching is affecting the hitting? And do you see a guy that is a little tired even though we're just in May.
Speaker 1: I think it's that's the easy thing to say, he's he's he in a corner, and I think it's just unfair to say that, because it's really to say, oh, well, he's struggling. This is why hitting is hard, extremely hard. Everybody goes through slumps. Everybody goes through struggles, whether you're just a DH and all you are is focusing on hitting, or whether you're playing defense, or whether you're like it's hard. So I'm not going to say his pitching is affecting is hitting. That is way too easy and that's assuming so much. When I watch show, Hey, I just think his mechanics are off. I think right now he's where the times that we've seen in the past since he's been in the Dodger uniform, he went through slumps, even when he wasn't pitching, when all he did was the age when that fifty to fifty season, that was unbelievable. He went through a slump. He went through stretches where he was pulling off the ball. He went through stretches where he was rolling over. He went through stretches where it looked like he was chasing out.
Speaker 3: Of the zone. He went through all of those stretches. We're seeing that right now.
Speaker 1: And to me, when I look at his swing, his bat path and some of the mechanics, I think the same thing back then that got him that he struggled with, is happening right now. I just think we're seeing that more where the front side, his front hip and his front shoulders are bailing out together at the same time, and that pulls off the ball rather than your front your your hip can open up, but his top upper half would stay closed longer, and he stays on the ball longer. When he does that, he stays on more pitches, he sees pitches longer, and he drives the ball, especially the other way.
Speaker 3: Right now, he's just not doing that. I've seen him do.
Speaker 1: That in the past where he struggles, So I don't want to say it's pitching by any means, and I can't say that it's unfair.
Speaker 3: But I think he'll get back on track, all right.
Speaker 2: I believe everything no Mar says. I mean, he is definitely a hitting coach on tell and certainly a guy that had a great all around baseball feel. Thanks a lot for the time, Nomar.
Speaker 3: You bet, Dave. Always good to talk to you.
Speaker 2: I don't want to put you in that box, Nomar. You are more than just a great hitter.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate that you know you try to be more than just that. You know you you cared about both sides of the plate. Dave.
Speaker 3: You know that that's right.
Speaker 2: And I'm here for Nomar. Not only is he here for us, I'm here for him. Just a reminder, NOMR. Tomorrow's Mother's Day.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, Dave. I appreciate that you're exactly right. So Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful mother's out there. And I gotta make sure I'm gonna call my mom and call my wife, and you know those two are definitely calls for sure,