Speaker 1: An exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: We're getting set for Game two of the NLCS, and we're joining right now by Max Monsey. Max, thanks a lot for the time and congratulations on a.
Speaker 1: Game one win.
Speaker 2: Sure anytime, Dave, I thought you handled it really well after the game last night. How you were a little self deprecating on that fly ball in the fourth inning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, you have to get a job done right there, and I didn't get it done. You know, I gotta I gotta find a way to say a double play and uh, you know, next time, I gotta be a little better.
Speaker 2: You know, this team seems to eat sleep, drink baseball. Even on the bus right here with a group of your teammates, they were still talking about last night, they're talking about today. Has that carried over from last postseason and the success you guys had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think there's a little bit of you know, we talked with this team about culture, about you know, what the Dodger culture is that's been created over many, many, many years, and you know, I think last year was kind of start of a different playoff culture and you know, just a different way of going about business once you get talked Ober and you know, it's.
Speaker 1: Definitely carrying over from last year, and you know, it's really cool to see. It's really cool to see all the guys bought in on it, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, ultimately this time of year, nothing else that's going on really matters. It's what are we going to do to try to get a win tonight? And you know, the guys who really bought into that.
Speaker 2: Max Unfairly, everybody believes that you guys are just so talented. You show up at seven o'clock and things happened. But it feels like you guys don't take for granted the talent that you have and the opportunity you have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've been a part of some extremely talented teams, you know, in my career here with the Dodgers, and you know, you've you've seen it. We've had teams that have won one hundred and eleven games and we get knocked out in the first round.
Speaker 1: And you know, I've been this. Our team last year didn't win one hundred games. We won the World Series in eighteen we hardly won ninety games, and.
Speaker 3: You know, we went to the World series, and you know, it's kind of the same thing this year.
Speaker 1: It's it's the talent can only take you so far.
Speaker 3: It's really about how you're preparing and how you're going out there and playing the game.
Speaker 1: And October talent really means nothing, you know.
Speaker 3: It's it's if you're going out there and you're expecting the out talent the other team, you're not gonna do very good.
Speaker 1: So you have to you have to be prepared properly.
Speaker 2: You guys have the experience as well. You've won two World Series with the Dodgers. Your first year, like you said, was winning Game seven here in the NLCS. Could you feel the experience factor play out last night?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think that's just you get in these types of environments. You're on the road for Game one, it's it's loud. They you know, they're playing the music extra loud. It's a you know, you start to feel that a little bit, and you got to find a way to just slow the heartbeat. And you know, you look around the infield and you know, you just you look at guys in the dugout and you just you find a calming presence with everybody. No one's getting too worked up about anything, and you know, it just that that comes from having experience.
Speaker 1: If you've never been in this situation, you don't really know how to handle it.
Speaker 3: And uh, you know, we we've talked many, many years about how there's a lot of teams that play with a ton of emotion in the playoffs and you know, that can get you really far, but it can also be a huge negative.
Speaker 1: And you know, for us, we've always.
Speaker 3: Tried to stay even keel on that, and I think with the experience that we have, that's that's right where we're at.
Speaker 2: Do you remember the postseason game or the postseason series where you became so comfortable and became this guy that doesn't seem like anything faces him.
Speaker 3: No, I just think that's something that happened over time, because I do remember my first.
Speaker 1: Postseason and you know, I was really amped up.
Speaker 3: I was really gearing to get out there, and you know, my I was definitely wearing my emotions on my sleeve, and every good thing that happened, I was, you know, top of my lungs, and every bad thing that happened, I was top of my lungs in a negative way. And you know, I just think that's something that you get over time, and I don't know when that switched for me. And you know, I think it's just having the opportunity to play in so many postseason games.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go.
Speaker 2: I remember when you returned from the IL, you were telling me that you change your pregame routine as far as heating up cooling down with you taking betting practice on the field with the team. Is that a sign that things are more normal for you?
Speaker 1: I'm hoping so. No, it's just really more on the road.
Speaker 3: Your VP time is so close to game time that there's not really a cool down period after VP, and so for me, it's a chance to get some work in and that's something that I haven't entirely been able to do you know recently, is get a lot of work in.
Speaker 1: And you know.
Speaker 3: We're definitely feeling better, filing closer to normal, but you still got to be careful about some things, all right.
Speaker 2: Max, thanks a lot for the time. I know you're getting ready for the game. We'll see you after.
Speaker 1: Sounds good.