Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. It's time for the managers meeting with the man that has won three World Series championships at the helm of the Dodgers, and that is the one and only Dave Roberts. Dave, thanks a lot for the time. Great to be on the field with you.
Speaker 2: No, this is great.
Speaker 3: This is our kickoff conversation interview, so this is going to be fun. So I'm looking forward to this, Dave, just being able to talk Dodgers baseball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, so much has been talked about, and you've talked so much about the dissection of the World Series in Game seven, but again today at two o'clock, you had the same key players, Miguel Rojas, Mookie Betts, Freddie Freeman all out here doing infield work. And the infield was in and people want to know how to plays like Game six and Game seven happen. But it starts in April, it starts in March and continues through the summer.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 3: And that's one of the things that I'm really really proud of with our guys, and I think that, yeah, you look at a Game seven, you look at the play that Mickey made or the double play that Mookie.
Speaker 2: Turned to end the World Series.
Speaker 3: We do this all year long, and I think for us is that there are certain situations or plays that might not show itself.
Speaker 2: But you know, even right.
Speaker 3: Now we're marred and not playing good baseball, not winning a lot of games. But I think for me, the behind the curtain, under the hood, the work is consistent, and we do PFPS every other week. That's pitchers fielding practice. We practice infield in every single day. Outfielders are throwing to the bases a couple times a week. So all this stuff happens every day. And then with the talent that we have, those are the bets that we're going to win more than we lose.
Speaker 1: How do you look at it as the manager always wanting more, never satisfied you're in first place and your offense still hasn't even scratched the surface of what it should be.
Speaker 3: I think if you look at you know, listen to me and people that do know me, I'm really big on the process, and I think for me is I would I just want to see you know, better quality at bats, swinging the strikes, taking balls, you know, taking walks when they're given to us, run the base as well, play good defense, and we've gotten a lot of good pitching. And for me, if those things and the work before the games are kind of in check, I'll bet on the results on the back end. So I really don't fret over results. And I understand fans, you know, live and die by every win, and I get that, but baseball is a marathon of a season, and we just got to continue to plug away. And like I said, we've gone through this every single year and we're looking at winning three in a row.
Speaker 2: So it happens everything.
Speaker 1: When you look at yesterday's game, we saw something that you don't see, that we haven't seen if you've been in Los Angeles since nineteen eighty six, a pitcher going into the ninth and and coming close to a complete game even though the score was on the other side. How impressive was it to have Robleski do what he did yesterday considering where your bullpen was at.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 3: And so essentially everyone has had the last two out of four days off, given the off day that we had before the series and yesterday, and we're in.
Speaker 2: The middle of thirteen in a row.
Speaker 3: And so for a Robo to you know, be in a game that's at of balance at that point in time, but still have enough pitches to continue to go out there and ultimately have a chance to finish the game, which he was one out away from doing.
Speaker 2: That was a big relief for our pen.
Speaker 3: That's going to help us when you know the you know games going forward in this stretch that we're in. So it is a little old school, and I give Robo a lot of credit. He's done a lot of good things for us. Six shutout, seven innings and this time eight plus, so he's been a huge additive to our pitching staff.
Speaker 1: That's the voice of the manager, Dave Roberts before first pitch, Dodgers and Giants opening up a four game series here at Dodgers Stadium. And when you look at this stretch of seven games, day four against the Giants, who are having a lot of issues, the Angels are having a lot of issues. Do you circle a number? Do you have a number of wins that you want this week going into San Diego?
Speaker 2: You know, I don't.
Speaker 3: I will say this is the Giants beat us up in the Bay two out of three, and so we've got some payback that we got to kind of redeem ourselves. So I expect to win the series, but it starts by winning tonight, and then the Angels for some reason, they've had our number and so you know, we got to find.
Speaker 2: A way to beat those guys.
Speaker 3: And obviously every year is different, and I think for me, Dave is just I just want to play good ball, and it's not perfect baseball, but you know, in all the different facets of the game, go out there compete. I'm excited to get Mooki back in the lineup, so that's kind of some infusion of some newness to our ball club, which we're all excited about. But again, just more to play good baseball and we'll win our fair share games.
Speaker 1: You have Mookie Bets hitting second tonight. It's the same three that led you to the World Series last year, Otani, Mookie Freddie. Do you feel like that tree is going to help get things going again?
Speaker 2: I do. I do. I think that.
Speaker 3: You know, you look at the one, two, three, It certainly looks good on paper, But now I think we got to get show Hey swinging the bat the way he's capable of, which I think will turn obviously Freddie. I think he's shown some signs of breaking out of it, but he's always given you a good at bet every time he steps in the box. And then obviously Mooki behind him, and I think or MOOKI Freddie behind Muki, And I think for me is just a way to, you know, break up those two lefties at the top. And I think for me today I have Tucker in the four. I just felt that giving our lefties four out of five of the first five hitters a good crack at this starter today. So today is more of the mindset up beat that starter today.
Speaker 1: Is it fair to say, pahez a Muncie, I've been your two best players so far?
Speaker 2: It is? It is? I think that.
Speaker 3: And you're talking about in totality obviously taking putting, taking show Hey off the table as far as pitching and hitting, but as far as what Andy has done in centerfield and how he's been so good offensively, he's been a very very good player. And I think with Max, what he's done in the box, what he's done at third base, he's been a very good player. So I think to your question, yeah, they've been our two best players.
Speaker 1: All right before I let Dave Roberts go tomorrow. Ice Cube is throwing out the first pitch. The bobblehead with him and the Lowrider like at the parade, is going to be given out tomorrow. And we all know about Dave's dancing moves. We've seen that at the parade. So I know you're an ice Cube NWA fan. So what do you have in store for tomorrow? What are they expecting out of Dave Roberts tomorrow?
Speaker 3: Well, definitely, I hope the listeners have forgotten my lack of dancing skills. I had an out of body experience on stage a couple of years ago. But I am excited to have ice Cube here. And it's just so cool, you know, for pop culture, you know, and ice Cube is transcended decades of music and he's an icon and og, one of the Ogs, and so it is cool to have him, you know, rocking to LA and coming out to Dodge Stadium and having his own bobblehead.
Speaker 2: But I won't be doing any.
Speaker 3: Making it drop, making my three letter word drop, and it ain't gonna be doing that tomorrow.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Dave, thanks a lot for the preview. We appreciate it and tonight. It's a great night to get a win
Speaker 2: All right, Dave, thanks for having me