Speaker 1: An exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking.
Speaker 2: The three time World Series winning manager of your Los Angeles Dodgers, Dave Roberts, It is here for you, for the people of Downy, for the people of LA.
Speaker 3: He's come out here right before.
Speaker 2: Heading to the ballpark to manage tonight's game.
Speaker 3: Date.
Speaker 2: You deserve all this, and it's awesome to have you see the celebration of not only the team, but just how much LA appreciates you.
Speaker 3: No, Dave, this is great. You know.
Speaker 4: I've got to spend some time with Sam here, who owns Hyundai Downey Hundai, and to come to the city of Downey and to see all this Dodger blue, it's fantastic. And a lot of times I get so in a bubble with my job and I go to the ballpark and I don't get that fan interaction.
Speaker 3: So this is special to me.
Speaker 4: And we won a crazy game last night, so I'm feeding off this energy today to bring it to the part today.
Speaker 3: That's right, let's hear it for Dave Roberts. You want to meet Dave Roberts, you gotta give us a little bit more law here.
Speaker 2: He's been to five World Series as the manager of the Dodgers back to back championships. Like you said, you're in the bubble your day to day you have to worry about that game that season. How often do you have an experience of being at a place site downy Hyundai to see the fans come up from all over LA just to.
Speaker 4: Meet you, just to take a picture with you. Yeah, I don't get this very often. And as fans are coming in right now and I get to say hello and take pictures and kind of hear stories and how you know, fans love to tell me how they became Dodger fans, or tell stories about Tommy or Vin or big moments that they were at Dodger games. And you know, the Dodgers's it's a culture. And that's one thing that when you come to Los Angeles, it's such a as people say, it's a melting pot, is diverse, and but La bleeds blue.
Speaker 3: It is a Dodger city.
Speaker 4: And I don't get this opportunity very often, so I definitely.
Speaker 3: Enjoy the kind of the interaction with all the fans.
Speaker 2: Well, Dave Roberts is probably the one manager since Tommy LA sorta that bleeds Dodger Blue more than anybody. Think about all the managers that have come and gone over the years, Walter Alston, Tommy la Sorta, and this man right here will go down and Dodger history is the three greatest managers the franchise has ever seen. And Dave Roberts has the distinction. Yeah, give it up there, Come on, how many people could say that? And Dave Roberts has the distinction of playing for the Dodgers. He left body parts out in center field a few times. So it feels like you, more than anybody else that has had that chair, understands what it's about to be a Dodger.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 4: And you know, it's funny you say that because I think that, you know, everyone has a job, but for me, the Dodgers, it's in my blood. I grew up in southern California, I went to school in LA I played for the Dodgers, so I understand, you know when you talk about passion and generational And I knew Morey Wills, I knew Don Newcombe, you know Drysdale, Duke Snyder. I knew all those guys that played for the Dodgers. And you know Rachel Robinson, sh Sharon Robinson are friends of mine, So my Dodger ties run deep. So that's why, you know, it pains me when we don't win, and I get just as much joy when we do win because I know how much the Dodgers mean to all you fans.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you realize this, but Dave Roberts, in his eleventh season, is closing in on his one thousandth regular season win.
Speaker 3: It's going to happen in the next month.
Speaker 2: Not a lot of people have been able to do that. He has the highest winning percentage of any manager in modern baseball history. And you think back to your first World Series in twenty seventeen, to where you were in Toronto.
Speaker 3: And Game seven of the World Series.
Speaker 2: What was the different feeling for you if you can remember before Game one of the seventeen World Series compared to you know, maybe even before Game seven of the twenty five World Series.
Speaker 4: Well, I think, you know, I think with life, you learn a lot through failure. And I think that sometimes you know, you either when you don't have success or failure, it's an opportunity to grow and get better. And I think for me, as you know, we've had five World Series appearances, We've won three and losing never feels good. But I think for me, I've always tried to take something from you know, winning or losing, and so for me, I think in seventeen, I've just the game has slowed down more.
Speaker 3: I think everyone.
Speaker 4: Sees that, you know, my trust in the players has continued to grow because I start to learn the players more, and you know, no bigger spot than last year, Miguel.
Speaker 3: Rojas, you know, and for me it was.
Speaker 4: Just more yeah, and Meguiro is just like he's one of you guys, He's one of us, and you know, so to go out there and just trust him in a big moment and for.
Speaker 3: Him to come up with a big home run meant a lot to me, meant a lot to you guys and the Dodge organization.
Speaker 4: But I think for me, it's just learning from things that haven't gone well, my mistakes, learning from failure, and trying to get better.
Speaker 3: And that's like what we all do.
Speaker 4: You know, we all have our trials, tribulations and good times, bad times, and we all try to get better and learn.
Speaker 3: And I'm no different.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dave Roberts and the team that he manages is an example for all of us to not give up, to have the mental toughness, to.
Speaker 3: Have the adversity.
Speaker 2: I was just telling our guys, Sam, who runs downy Honday, give it up for Sam over here. Everybody has their difficulties, their adversity.
Speaker 3: Your team.
Speaker 2: In game seven, Boba Shitt hits a three run home run off the greatest player on the planet at show haled. It could have been very easy for any other team to say, you know what, it was a great run, they got it, but you guys never gave up. It was like, okay, three runs down, let's find a way to do this.
Speaker 3: Where does that come from?
Speaker 4: Well, I think in you referenced twenty seventeen where we got down in game seven and we just kind of mailed it in. And this team last year just refused to lose. They were going to continue to fight. And yeah, we gave we got behind early, but I did feel it in the dugout that we were going.
Speaker 3: To find a way. Just keep fighting, keep fighting, keep pulling.
Speaker 4: And uh, you know Will Smith hitting a game tying homer, you know Max Munsey hitting a homer to get us a little bit closer. Obviously, the play that MIGGI made, the play that Pahes made at the end. So everyone contributed, and so I think for me, it's just about you know, and Sam, you know here at Downy Hunday, it's just instilling belief, confidence in everyone and everyone being positive. You have a bad month, you want to keep grinding and keep.
Speaker 3: Going, and that's what we did.
Speaker 4: And so I couldn't be more proud of what we accomplished last year. And we got a lot of work to do, but hopefully, you know, we can do it again and get that three feet that we all want.
Speaker 1: Yes, and they're on their way.
Speaker 2: James being humble right here, spoken like a true manager, I'll just save from your Dodgers right now as we sit here at Downey, Hyundai have the best record in baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thirty nine wins.
Speaker 2: If they win today or when they win today, they will have fifty wins.
Speaker 3: And we all want to know.
Speaker 1: Is the Big DH going to be back from celebrating his second child. Do you think these fans can expect Otani leading off dhing today?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 4: I haven't got the text yet to confirm, but you know, show hey just had a baby that we're all excited about. But I expect him to be in the lineup today, so we'll see. I should know here shortly.
Speaker 2: So you're saying you get a text directly from Otani that says I got.
Speaker 3: The green light. It'll be a thumbs off. And he's head layer. Ah?
Speaker 2: Is that how old Tony texts you with emojis?
Speaker 3: Is he ever type words? He does type words, but he likes an emoji. Does he ever send you a picture of decoy? No, I haven't got a picture of I need to request one, all right.
Speaker 2: And Dalton Rushing last night the hero of the game, amongst others.
Speaker 1: He's a guy that I feel has been framed really poorly.
Speaker 2: That's not who he is. He's a great kid, a lot of great spirit. What did you see from him in that at bat last night?
Speaker 3: That showed you he.
Speaker 2: Has grown up a little bit or the maturity is starting to set in.
Speaker 3: I saw resilience.
Speaker 4: You know, he's a young ballplayer who cares, who wants to do his best every time out there, and so when he doesn't perform to his expectation, he gets upset and certainly visible for all of us to see.
Speaker 3: But I think for me.
Speaker 4: Is you know, you have three bad at bats and then the thing about baseball is that you could have the worst game up to a certain point, and at a certain point the game might fall on your shoulders. And so last night it did and he had a chance for redemption, and so he was able to put aside those three at bats prior and focusing on that one at bat and he ultimately won the game for us.
Speaker 3: So for me, I like the resilience.
Speaker 2: What's Steve Roberts rule in helping him grow well?
Speaker 4: I think for me as a manager, it's not just the baseball side of things and not just dullness all my players, it's to help them grow as men and to you know, get perspective and learn from.
Speaker 3: Good, bad and different.
Speaker 4: And so for me, I think that a lot of conversations that I have with our guys and just the belief that when you have these guys in the right frame of mind, playing for the right reasons, the performer it's on the field, we'll translate. And so that's a lot of what I do as far as managing our players.
Speaker 2: All Right, before we let Dave Roberts go so he can meet and greed kiss babies.
Speaker 3: Maybe pick you up with some quotas.
Speaker 2: Check out the dugout before first pitch.
Speaker 3: If you're at a Dodger game and you've got a great view of the dugout.
Speaker 2: You see those guys celebrating, getting their handshakes going on. What manager in baseball celebrates with the players and gets in on the handshakes.
Speaker 3: The very private, you know, secret handshakes.
Speaker 2: He dunks with Otani right before first pitch.
Speaker 3: I mean, how do you come up with these things?
Speaker 4: Yeah, these players come up with these things, and I just follow the suit and I just want to show, Yeah, I am the manager, but I do want to let these guys know I'm in it with them, and we do have our own every player that I have, we have our own little handshakes.
Speaker 3: So it's awesome.
Speaker 2: So the Otani one, I thought it was funny the other night against the Rays. He's obviously on with the knee issue, so you usually he usually jumps up silvia you, but you guys stood on the ground for the dunk that time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had to take care of his knee at that time. So the last few.
Speaker 4: Handshakes we did like a mild little layup.
Speaker 3: It wasn't really a dunk, all right. What other handshake do you have?
Speaker 2: With guys on your team, your players that you enjoyed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, Mookie's the Mooky's a handshake, a hug and I tell him I love him, And Max Munty's a chest bump.
Speaker 3: Miggie row is a backhanded thing and I call out his name.
Speaker 4: Freddie is a fist bump and a point to the to the gods, and I yell out his name twice. So we got a lot of different ones. And I'm still trying to get Tucker to come out of it. So he's not a handshake guy, but I'm getting to him.
Speaker 3: I think he only does sign language.
Speaker 2: That's right, That's right, all right, Hey, maybe Dave Roberts, we'll get a secret handshake with you when you take your.
Speaker 3: Photo with him. Show him the love he deserves. He does this for the fans.
Speaker 2: He loves the fans, and he has delivered three works since and he's long for the three pat He would become the only Dodger manager to do that, on top of being the only Dodger manager to lead the Dodgers to back to back championships. Don't forget what you're experiencing today, because this is the golden age of Dodger Baseball and this man right here has led us all the way to the top.
Speaker 3: Thanks for coming out to the City of County.
Speaker 2: Thanks for being here with the people at Downy.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having David this garcial. Shout out to Sam Donny Hunday. You guys rock Go Dodgers, Go Downy. Hyundai, you guys are killing it. Congrats